Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: You know, Nicole, I could be wrong on this. Check me. I do not believe that the Utah Hockey Club is one of the NHL's original six teams.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably no better than me, but I've got a I got a hankering.
Speaker 1: You're probably correct on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I'm not a hockey question like Eddie Andaman used to refer to hockey fans as, but I've never I never heard of the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 4: Frankly, until we can go five ten minutes ago, I hadn't either.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, bring back the Quebec nor Dix or someone like that.
Speaker 2: All right, I can take the Hartford Whalers at this point. Theyucky the Whale. I loved hockey the Whale.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, thanks thanks for clearing that up for me.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that anything for you.
Speaker 3: Dan, have a good.
Speaker 2: Show, Thanks so thanks so much.
Speaker 3: My name is Dan Rayan aster Cole had mentioned the host of Nightside, and we cover as many topics as you possible, more topics than you could possibly imagine here on Nightside, But Hockey's won. I'm pretty sure they're not one of the original six Canadians maple Lea's Red Wings, black Hawks, Bruins and Rangers. Yeah, they're not the original six, although I think they won their first couple of games, so they must have been loaded up in some sort of an expansion draft or something. We'll figure it out. The Brunes will handle it. We are here every night, whether the Bruins are playing or not. We're here from eight until midnight, and we have four guests lined up in this first hour. This is the hour when we don't do phone calls, which is fine. You get to sit back and listen to people who have interesting information.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it involves.
Speaker 3: An activity that you might like to participate, as our first one is this weekend. Some of it might be something a little bit more in the future. We'll get through it all. We'll get through it all. And of course, once we do open up the phone lines after the nine o'clock news, then you'll be talking with Rob Brooks before you talk to me. And of course the number remains six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. So let's get it started. I want to welcome Ashley Carrier. Ashley is the executive director here in Massachusetts for the American Lung Association, and there is a big event coming up this weekend, the Lung Force Walk Boston. Ashley, Welcome to Night's side. Tell us all about the Lung Force Walk, which will be taking place. I guess in Hopkinson, not in Boston, but certainly very close to Boston. How are you tonight?
Speaker 4: I'm great.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 3: I've kind of wound up, you know, but I normally am when I start my shows.
Speaker 4: Well, first of all, thank you for having me on this evening.
Speaker 6: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, our Lung Force Walk is taking place this Saturday. It's our ninth annual walk and it's going to be at Hopkinson State Park for the first time ever. So we're incredibly excited about that. Visitent is all about raising awareness and critical funds for lung cancer research.
Speaker 5: And other long diseases.
Speaker 4: It's it's going to be really stunning there, with a two mile walk along the waterfront and with peak foliage. It's it's going to be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, supposed to be a nice weatherwise too.
Speaker 3: I'm both both on Saturday and Sunday, and you won't be walking along the Charles River and competing with the head of the child. So it will be really nice parking, pretty accessible and easy out.
Speaker 5: There, I hope very much so free parking.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of parking, so that will not be an issue we will be dealing with. And it's supposed to be in the seventies and sunny, so I can't complain about that.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely so.
Speaker 3: Look, the American Lung Association, which is a wonderful organization that's been around for a long long time. Way, did you previously used to have these walks? As this walk moved from different locations, you said, it's the ninth one here in Boston. Where where has it been you know previously. I don't need a list of all the locations, but I'm just curious in case some people say, oh, yeah, I participated in that a year ago, Now I want to get go this weekend.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So historically it had been at the Boston Common for a couple of years, and then it was at Franklin Park Zoo that we're trying to find a home for our walk, So this it made sense, and it's really just accessible to everybody and it's a beautiful location.
Speaker 2: That's the point.
Speaker 3: The point is as lovely as Boston is, it's becoming more difficult to park find a parking space. Obviously in the Zoo area that's a different story, but to try to get people into the Boston common I certainly can't understand that that's not going to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a two mile walk or three mile.
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure. I thought I read three and you're telling me two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's two miles. So we have a couple.
Speaker 5: We have two different routes.
Speaker 4: One is fully accessible, fully paved, and the other route is has a little bit of a hill and it actually goes over the dam, so it's right along the water. So people who come and participate can choose either of the two different routes, which.
Speaker 3: Is okay, this is a fundraiser. You hope people would get sponsors, I assume for their participation. And look, I have forgotten how many people die of lung related diseases.
Speaker 2: Bring us up to date on that.
Speaker 3: I was looking at some of your materials and I know you know it off the top of your head. It kind of surprised me because you think about cancer, which is horrible, and you think about heart problems, but we got to remember lungs.
Speaker 8: As well well, right, And honestly, a little known fact is that lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer deaths in both the US and right here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: So Massachusetts actually ranks thirtieth in the nation for new lung cancer cases, which means we have a higher rate of new cases than a NASH the average.
Speaker 3: You know, I was really hoping that that lung cancer would go away when people would end up stopping smoking and all of that. But I guess there are other ways in which you can can contract Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, that's something that that we Alay are working to break the stigma is that people who have lung are diagnosed with lung cancer are not necessarily smokers. There's other, you know, other causes of lung cancer aside from smoking.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's let's get down to it. Let's assume people haven't signed up. This is a couple of days from now. This is Saturday. How early do you start on Saturday?
Speaker 4: We start at nine thirty.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's fine, that's that's not all that early some of these starts.
Speaker 5: No, no, no.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the sunshine will have broken through the chill in the ear will have abated a little bit. So exactly can people still sign up? Is there a minimum of funding that has to be achieved? Well, Gil, give us what the particulars are and how they can get in touch with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's not too late to join.
Speaker 4: People can still register online at lungforce dot org slash Boston. Or if if you don't want to commit yet, any wake up Saturday feeling like you want to join, you can come and register on site the day of the event. It's open to everyone, so if you're walking solo, you want to bring your family, your work, friends, any everyone is welcome and there's not a fundraising minimum. We do have a minimum of one hundred dollars to earn a walk t shirt.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Okay, So again the website one more time is lung Force.
Speaker 4: It is lungforce dot org, slash Boston slash Boston.
Speaker 3: Okay, so last year you've been you've been doing this for a while. Last year, how much money did you raise? Your raised quite a bit of money last year as.
Speaker 4: I understand it, we raised around fifty thousand, and our goal this year is ninety so we're just about halfway there. We've already beat our amount from last year, which is exciting. So we're on track to get to that ninety thousand mark.
Speaker 3: Okay, just roughly for people who are thinking of getting out there, how many walkers do you how many folks do you think you will be participating in one form, one fashion or another.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we're expecting around a few hundred people from you know, the Boston metro area and local suburbs. So it should be well attended and we're really excited for that.
Speaker 2: Ashley.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, a great cause, the American Lung Association, the Lung Forcewalk Boston, Lungforce dot org or slash Boston, keep us posting on it and anything we can do for you. The American Lung Association, longstanding, great great charity, and of course now everything's a dot org. So thanks so much for joining us tonight, Ashley. In best of luck on Saturday. I wish you a very successful day.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Hope you have a great night.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, I'm gonna try. We're we're gonna be gonna do just fine.
Speaker 2: Thanks again. Asty.
Speaker 3: We get back, We're going into talk to you a little bit about cyber security. It is Cybersecurity Awareness Month. There's a lot of stuff going on. There is romance scams, fishing scams, online threats are on the rise. Online safety. We're gonna touch it all, talk about it all with Kimberly Summer. She's a Google security expert. Last year, twelve point five billion dollars in online scams were reported. You do not want to be scammed. You want to keep listening. Later on we'll talk about Titanic. They have an artifact exhibition here in Boston, and also a guest from the Boston Globe. Twenty things still made in Massachusetts. Remember when the slogan was make it in Massachusetts. Well, maybe you're not making as much stuff, but there's still twenty things.
Speaker 2: We'll may we do make here in.
Speaker 3: Massachusetts, and Scott Kurzner of the Boston Global join us.
Speaker 2: My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside. You're listening to WBZ in Boston.
Speaker 3: If you're picking out some up on a radio anywhere east of the Mississippi River, which is pretty easy to do in your car. You also can check us out on the iHeart app. You can download it for free and listen to WBZ Boston twenty four to seven on the iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Back right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Well, we are in the Cybersecurity Awareness Month. I'm sure most of you did not realize that, but we are. And it's important that we are aware of cybersecurity concerns. And with us is Kimberly Samra. She's a Google security expert. Kimberly, there is so many days when I'd love to call you when I'm all messed up on Google or whatever, and I promise you I never will. But I stand than are of people like you who know what's going on. And welcome to night Side. First of all, and I'm really surprised to see last year that people like me, average Americans lost twelve point five billion dollars in online scams.
Speaker 2: This is terrifying. How are you.
Speaker 6: Tonight, I'm good. I'm good, and call me anytime.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: We're friends, so anytime you need help, let me.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Oh, that could be.
Speaker 3: A mistake because I'll say, how push the on button? It doesn't light up. Do you have the computer? Do you have the laptop plugged in?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, let me plug it in anyway. No, big deal.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. So you're a Google security expert. Do you run your own company or or what do you what do you do? How do you become a Google I'm sure when you were in elementary school and they said, Kimberly, what do you want to be when you grew up, you didn't say I want to be a Google security expert?
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: I have to look back at my old projects. I'm sure my mom still has them. I'll have to look back, but I don't remember that quite quite literally. But yeah, So what I do is I work with the security team here at Google to kind of get their research out there, kind of figure out how we can reach more of our users to make sure that they're better protect and understand the protections that they can take advantage here at Google and do our products. See, I work with a ton of really talented people, and my favorite part of my job is working with with everyday users like yourself, where I can kind of help folks beef up their security.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's talk about what's going on.
Speaker 3: We got romance scams, fishing scams, online threats are on the rise. We're all getting this stuff. You know, click here when you get this free. Whatever I mean, how do you distinguish what's real?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, as you said, we've seen Americans was a ton of money last year to these online scams, and ninety percent of data breaches actually come from something called fishing. And fishing is when somebody tries to reach out to you, pretending to somebody you know, a business, you frequent, a family member, a friend, and they're trying to pretend to get to know you or already know you to get information from you. So there's a few different things that you can do to to spot these items. Number one is consider the source. If somebody's reaching out to you and you don't know them, you want to be weary right after that, right, and that's through things like you know, saying that you have a subscription room you never you know, you never called for or weren't expecting, or somebody offering a gift card or pretending to be your bank. Is something's a little off. And that leads me to tip number two, and that's look for clues. If you see things like misspellings, grammar errors, you know, some formatting is a little bit off from something you'd usually see. Those are red flags. Also A big one that I always tell my parents is that if anybody's reaching out to you urgently, you know whatether that's called text messages, emails, that's a big red flag, especially if they want some want you to do something, click on a link, send money, you know, give personal information, your phone number, email address. Remember that any responsible business or anybody that you frequent is going to have that information. And because they have it, they're never going to ask you for that information. Google, for example, will never call you about your Google account. So look for those types of clues and never forget to verify the information of the center. If you get an email, for example, and it says it's from you know, Beyonce Knowles that you you know, hover over the email address and it's from Kimberly Samra, that's probably a big red flag, right. Or if you're going to be a phone call and it's supposed to be your local transportation company but the area code is something international or something across the country, that's a big red flag.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of the stuff you get now which I see all the time and I don't know how how to For example.
Speaker 2: I know what my email is.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty simple email okay, and it's I'm not going to say it over here, but you know, no, I'm serious. You get this stuff, you we are going to bill you for nine and twenty seven dollars for the services that you received from fill in.
Speaker 2: The blank geek squad or whatever you get this stuff.
Speaker 3: I've never used geek squad, so I'm s wanted to look at that and say that's not me. Okay, But a lot of people will pan it because they'll say, oh my god, they're gonna build my credit card for nine hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: My question is this.
Speaker 3: That they're just throwing darts at If I'm wrong, please tell me, because I don't want to mislead people. But they just guess that. They're saying, Okay, this person's name is Bill Smith, Okay, so maybe we'll we'll send emails to Bill Smith, you know, at every at every email we can think of, and we'll I mean, they're sending out millions, hundreds of millions of emails blind. It's not like they've figured out that your name Kimberly Samra you know that you have a Verizon account or whatever? Am I right or wrong on that? They just guess it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean it depends, right, if they have your information from some sort of like large scale data breach, they could have an idea that it's linked to some sort of account, right, or you know, if it is an email address that you use that's tied to a certain account, for example, Gmail, they can put two and two together and kind of say that, you know, this is somebody that we could reach out to. But yeah, for you know, all intensive persons, there might be chances that they're just reaching out to you and you know, hoping that somebody has that you know, banking account that's linked to that, and you know they're looking for the easiest term possible, right, they just want to throw it out there. That's why you're going to see some of those misspellings and those spelling errors or just exactly what you're saying right now, you know, putting together two and two that you know, I don't have that online account. Some people you know just kind of you know, you're there to trust the emails that you got and and folks will just click on them. So another thing is I tell people that even if you get an email mail, so if you had that account, for example, and you're like, well, this could be legitimate, maybe I do owe that money. Instead of clicking on that link in that email, just go to your account on your own right, type in that URL and the URL bar and go to your own account. That way, you can make sure that you're not clicking on any malicious links and that you're going right to the source. You're not talking about on the phone. You're looking at your own account in your online account information. And then also if you need to click on the link for any reason, hover over it and see where it's actually going to take you. You know, it might say that it's a link to your bank account, and then when you hover over it, the URLA has nothing to do with that bank account. So those are some really really good things to keep in mind.
Speaker 3: The other great item when you're I don't know how many people, probably the people who need the most help are having a tough time, you know, following our conversation, and you're making it very clear by the way, But people who are sophisticated probably don't need these tips.
Speaker 2: They need reminders.
Speaker 3: But one of the things I will do when I get some email from whatever, you know, the geek squad who have never used I'm just using that as an example, I have a over the account in this wonderful little thing says block contact, and you hit block contact and you will never hear. Now, maybe they'll change it at some point and next time it'll be uh I don't you know, it'll be American Airlines telling you that you owe you know, this for your for your round trip to Hawaii twenty three thousand dollars, and you know you've never been to Hawaii, so you know, click on it and block it. I mean, are you a big advocate of blocking contacts that you that you're not that you're not going to respond to anyway.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I definitely encourage folks to report spam. You know, we have really great uh spam filters on Gmail and Search, and we love when people report spam. That way, we can you know, update your filters, making sure that we're keeping that out of your box, that we know things to track for. So, you know, reporting those types of things help you and it helps us. So making sure that you report things as possible. Also, I do encourage people, you know, when you do if you ever call victims of scam, which I hope nobody does, you know, reporting that to to local authorities and using you know, the SBI makes it very easy to report just even the most basic of scams. In that way, security teams like Google and across the industry and law enforcement can do a better you know, get a better idea of campaigns. They should be keeping an eye on Kimberly.
Speaker 3: A lot of great information. We should have you back periodically. I really mean that, and so it's so important.
Speaker 2: I mean that.
Speaker 3: And these are mostly offshore companies, the scam artists. They're there anywhere from you know, Asia, Eastern Europe, wherever, I mean.
Speaker 2: Most of them.
Speaker 3: Your money's going out of the country. You have no hopes of getting it back. Kimberly, thank you, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Is there.
Speaker 3: I don't want to give us your website here, but I thank you very much for making yourself available and trying to help my listeners tonight. And I'd love to have you back periodically if you don't mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely love to come back. And your listeners can go to safety dot google dot com for all the latest tips and tricks.
Speaker 3: Great, okay, that's what I was hoping I get from you, Safety dot Google dot com. Great, perfect, Thanks so much, appreciate it very very much, Kim believe we'll talk again.
Speaker 6: All right, Thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, have a great night. We get back. We're going to talk about something that's historic and interesting.
Speaker 3: I was going to say it's interesting the Titanic, the artifact exhibition. We will talk about that right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: My name is Dan Ray. This is WBZ in Boston. Dan Ray. Night Side with Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: It's nice Side with Dray on WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Boy, if you ever say the word Titanic to anybody in New England, we think about nineteen twelve and we think about the Red Sox. There's an a Titanic artifact exhibition Titanic Boston dot Us with us is Joe Gold. Joe, Welcome to Night Side. This looks like a fascinating exhibition. Tell us about it. When does it get here, what's the schedule and how can folks get tickets?
Speaker 7: Well, Dan, thanks for having me on. We're pretty excited to be speaking with you. Titanic is opening tomorrow on Friday the eighteenth, and we're at the cast Flood Park Plaza right downtown at the intersection of Columbus av in Arlington. So We're pretty excited to be in Boston. This is the first time that this exhibition has been to Boston. It's traveled all around the world and more than thirty five million people have seen it.
Speaker 2: So give me an idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, when we think of the Titanic, obviously it went down in two thousand, in nineteen twelve, and everybody's seen the movie. Everybody remembers DiCaprio and Winslet in the leads in the movie, and Boston feels very much a part of the Titanic. How many of these items I assume most of these items were salvaged from the Titanico. Davison I did what people would see.
Speaker 7: Sure. So when you come into the exhibition, the first thing you're given is a boarding pass, and that boarding pass tells you about one of the passengers, and it tells you if they're in the first class or third class, and it also gives you a little bit of their brief history. And then you come in and you see one of the artifacts that you see as the bell from the Titanic. And then you walk in and you see a recreation of the room of how it was designed. We have artifacts that from Harlan and Wolfe, the designers of Titanic. You walk down a first class cabin and then you come into an area where we have forty to seventy different artifacts. And these artifacts are anything from the personal belongings of the passengers and they include eyeglasses and wallets and currency. We have pieces of the Titanic, so we have a toilet and some of the plumbing fixtures, and there's a number of other things that you see. But what's the I think one of the best parts of this exhibition that you feel like you're on the Titanic. So we have a recreation of the grand staircase, which is absolutely magnificent, and it took our staff almost two weeks to assemble inside the inside the castle.
Speaker 3: It's very looking at that picture right now, and it's breathtaking, it really is. When did this exhibitions? You know, you said it's been to a lot of places. How long has it been around? And it just travels from city to city, mostly in the US, but I assume in different parts of the world as well.
Speaker 7: It's been all around the world. I mean, you name the city it's been there. Nineteen ninety eight, there was an exhibit of artifacts from Titanic, and it was really just artifacts under glass and you walked up and down the roads and you saw what it was, and there wasn't much of an explanation or it really didn't give context to the artifacts. This exhibition was created in about I Want to Stay two thousand and two, two thousand and three, and we worked on it ourselves. We did the marketing for it in Philadelphia and Detroit and Tampa and a number of other cities. And as I said, more than thirty five million people have seen this exhibition. It's quite quite amazing.
Speaker 2: Now all of us in Boston.
Speaker 3: And there is the linkage to the nineteen twelve baseball season and the Titanic because it left in April. Of course, it sank in April, and that was the beginning of the first Red Sox championship team. There is this linkage to Boston that people are aware of it. Why the heck did it takes a lot to Boston, I guess because I would have wanted to see this many years ago.
Speaker 2: If it's been around that long.
Speaker 7: It's sort of crazy that this is one of the only major cities, or probably the only major city in the United States and even secondary city that it hasn't been to. We looked at it, and our company has been marketing attractions and shows and collegiate sports and a number of other events, and we looked at this opportunity and we were able to make a deal with the company that produced the show. We were able to make a deal with the D. L. Saunders Company to bring it into the Castle, which is a really unique property, and we're fortunate enough to, you know, to bring it to the citizens of Boston.
Speaker 3: Now, how long will it be available and how can people get tickets? Let's let's get to the good stuff. How long is it will it be in our fine city.
Speaker 7: We're on sale right now through February second, and all people have to do is go to Titanic Boston, dot US and all the information on on the exhibition is there, how to buy tickets. You can see a lot of the different companies and organizations that we have partnerships with, from Davio's Restaurants at one point, we have a deal with Arthur Murray Dance Studios and you can take dance lessons on the Titanic. So it's really young. We have a lot of opportunities for people to get involved.
Speaker 2: Well, Davio's is great.
Speaker 3: Steve d Filippo, the owner of Davio's, is a great friend of mine and a great guy.
Speaker 2: I saw that, and I.
Speaker 3: Do know Arthur Murray Dance studios are located right there, within proximity of the castle. Only because my daughter, when she got married a couple of years ago, it made me to take some rudimentary dance lessons with her, which I'll remember for a long time. So it's a good three months. It's the balance of October, November, December, and January, and then in early February it's gone. Tickets available. Give us the website one more time because people probably missed it the first time.
Speaker 7: You go, right, Sure, the website is Titanic Boston dot Us.
Speaker 3: Couldn't be simple. It's a Titanic Boston dot Us. Joe, are you from the area or no?
Speaker 7: Actually, yeah, I live on the North I've lived here now for a little over thirty years on the North Shore.
Speaker 3: Oh, come on and so and so are you guys doing some Are you with this around everywhere it goes?
Speaker 2: Or is your company involved in the in the in the efforts here in Boston.
Speaker 7: We're involved in a number of cities. We pick Boston obviously it's it's our home base. But we do the marketing for work with the BSO, with our Summerson and a number of other attractions.
Speaker 2: Oh, what's the name of the company.
Speaker 7: The Gold Group. We're not a creative agency obviously.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, no, no, that's that's that's great. No, that sounds like very successful. You have some great clients. Well, Joe, it's a pleasure to meet you are. There's so many people in Boston that I've never had a chance to meet. I don't know if we've ever met personally, but we've at least met over the telephone, and maybe at some point we'll bump into each other at an event in Boston and please say hello and remind me of our phone conversation. I really enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 7: I'll do that, and hopefully you can come visit our show.
Speaker 2: I intend to because it's a fascinating story. Seeing the movie.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing the movie with my kids, who are now in the thirties, and they probably were in the in the eight to twelve range. I think my son might have been twelve, and so we're talking about twenty five years ago.
Speaker 2: And remember when they came to.
Speaker 10: The to the scene of where DiCaprio is painting the scene of Kate Winslet Winslet who's topless, and my eight year old daughter threw her hens over.
Speaker 3: My twelve year old son's nice. It was like he's struggling to see. Oh, I should tell that story publicly, that both you had had me. Joe, great, great to talk with you, talk.
Speaker 7: To you too. Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 3: Really enjoyed it. My pleasure. We get back. We're going to talk about something even closer to home, twenty things Still Made in Massachusetts with Scott Krisner of the Boston Globe. And yes, even though well I'll explain it used to be on our license plates it said make it in Massachusetts back in the eighties. A lot of stuff we used to make it's not made anymore, but some of the good stuff is still here. We'll talk with Scott Kristner of the Boston Globe right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Delighted to welcome to Nightside. I don't believe Scott has been with us before. But Scott, I'm easily corrected if I'm incorrect in this. Scott Kursner is a Boston Globe contributor. Scott, welcome, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. It may be my first time, so thank you for inviting.
Speaker 3: Me on this is your Nightside debut. Okay, so I read the piece, Scott. I'm sure the you do not remember. But we used to have license plates in Massachusetts that the state slogan was make it in Massachusetts.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Yeah, I've seen bumper stickers too that say make it in Massachusetts and they look really vintage. Was that like seventies, early seventies, mid seventies, Well, it was more like.
Speaker 3: Early eighties, late seventies, early eighties. Governor Ed King ran against Mike Decaccas in nineteen seventy eight. Mike was a first term governor and King upset him in the Democratic primary and he served for four years, and then Mike Tocaccus came back and made a comeback and beat King in eighty two. And yeah, Ed King was a very pro business democrat.
Speaker 2: Sort of like an old school democrat. Yeah.
Speaker 3: A great football player at Boston College and played some pro football himself a tough guy, and no one thought he was going to win, but he won that primary and upset Mike Doucaccas, who quo was on a road a little sidelined a little bit. It would be who became the Democratic presidential nominee in nineteen eighty eight. So so with, there were still things that a lot of stuff in Massachusetts, as I understand, that has gone away unfortunately, but I think we still make some golf balls and candy. It was the funny stuff that we still make in Massachusetts.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I mean my my column for the Globe I started in two thousand and A lot of the mandate is covering tech startups and biotech startups and you know, all of the companies that helped to go public someday. But every once in a while I find an opportunity to write a piece for the Globe about good old fashioned manufacturing, you know, of tangible items.
Speaker 2: Not but stuff, remember, stuff people think they can relate to.
Speaker 3: Look with all due respect to startups and all of that, and a lot of it in the high tech industry, you kind of gloss over if you if you're not you know under you know, thirty years of age, because it's like, what are.
Speaker 2: They talking about here?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: Tell me about some company that making widgets you know that I can't understand.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well, you know, a guy reached out to me. I think I was on my summer vacation August. The guy reached out to me. He said, I run a company in fall River and we haven't really been covered much by the globe, but we've been making leather jackets in fall River for fifty years. So there's a company called Vans and Leathers and I thought like, oh, that's interesting. I definitely want to go visit them and see, you know, kind of how a pail company survives making leather jackets in Massachusetts. And that kind of led me to think about, oh, geez, what else what other things that a consumer could buy are made here? So that was my filter. I didn't really think about, you know, we have a lot of medical device companies, you know that make heart stints and things like that. Yeah, there's a lot of you know whatever compressors and pumps and things people can't relate to. So my list was going to be about like things that you could buy and maybe even give somebody as a as a gift and in addition to vans.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you see you're talking about retail.
Speaker 5: Stuff, right, detail stuff something that you could actually buy. There's a couple exceptions on my list. But it's like junior mints, you know, do you do you know that every junior mint in the world is made on the edge of Central Square in Cambridge, in the last candy factory in Cambridge.
Speaker 2: So is that the old Necro factory.
Speaker 5: That's a pretty fun fact. It's not the old Neco factory. It's like a few blocks away from it. The old Necho factory, you know, speaking of biotech, got taken over by a Swiss biopharma company called Nevarda, so they're they're making drugs there, not making Neco wafers anymore. This is a factory that a little closer to Toscanini's ice cream if you know where that is on the edge of Central Square. And it's a factor that it's been there since the I think thirties or forties making candy and they're still doing it today.
Speaker 3: Give us a few of the others that people will recognize, well.
Speaker 5: I mean Titleist golf balls are made six hundred thousand titleist. Golf balls are made every day in New Bedford. There's a Lenen's company like high end sheets. Also nearby Fall River called John Matuk and Company. They make sheets that I can't really afford. Vilgion symbols. If you're a drummer or musician, you definitely know the Zilgin brand. They make symbols down on the South Shore. And then I also found out, you know, there's two different companies making flutes in Massachusetts, one in Maynard and.
Speaker 2: One in Competition.
Speaker 5: Competition.
Speaker 3: There's a company that's down in the southeast coast.
Speaker 2: It's called Balfour b A L. F O U R.
Speaker 3: They have for a long long time made all the championship rings for baseball teams.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, they make class rings I think also.
Speaker 3: They also do you know when the Red Sox won the Words, but they made rings for the Yankees and they made it rings for the Dodgers as I understand it, and they have suppose that, I believe, a pretty nice display case.
Speaker 2: Now there. What's the best edibles that are still made in.
Speaker 5: You know, I did a little bit of food, but I didn't want to go too much into like food and beer just because hey, there's fifty companies making craft beer that aficionados know. I mean, I think after you said Sam Adams, there probably aren't a lot of other mass market beers that people could name. But I did marshmallow fluff, of course, which is still made uh you know, made in uh not Summerville anymore. I'm blocking on where the where the fluff factory is. Someone will have to email me and remind me of my produ Yeah, and it's funny I left out. I mentioned marshmallow fluff, which of course goes with peanut butter. And the thing that was most mentioned by my readers in emails this week was you forgot about Teddy Bear brand peanut butter, which is made an Everett and apparently has a lot of fans.
Speaker 3: Marshall mellow fluff also goes like with avocados when.
Speaker 7: I have a.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: I don't want to I don't want to pass judgment on it. The other like the other fun thing was, uh, there's a company in wester called the David Clark Company, which you would only know this company if you're a pilot or an air traffic controller. But they make those like chunky you know, it's a light green headset that a lot of private pilots and commercial airline pilots wear. And the fun fact is they also make spacesuits. So those two astronauts who flew the Boeing Starliner to the Space station this year and got stranded there were wearing spacesuits made in western Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: They're still stranded and they're still up there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those spacesuits probably don't smell very good right now.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that they have as they must have a laundry up there or something like that.
Speaker 2: Scott, I really enjoyed this conversation.
Speaker 3: Next time you do something on making it in Massachusetts, MI pal Jack Dougherty does college hype over in Dorchester. Employees everybody from the Boston area. They do everything from Little League T shirts to the jackets that graduates of Harvard Business School get. They love a great local company's.
Speaker 5: I'll definitely do a follow up piece at some point.
Speaker 3: Really good people, really good people. Scott Kursner, Thank you so much, appreciate it. We'll have you back. You did very well on your debut. Looking forward to your second appearance.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thanks Dan later, Thank.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Absolutely, catch you later. That's for sure.
Speaker 3: All right, we are going to take up the issue of Question four, Yes it is Question four on the Massachusetts ballot talking about legalizing psychedelics. Stay with us, this is going to get interesting. We have a doctor of psychiatry who's not a big fan of that, but we'll we'll deal with it, coming up right after the nine