Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing. It's Alva not so fast.
Speaker 2: Cohole breath with Don Taylor.
Speaker 3: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 1: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on these jury years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 3: Kind of clock in downtown Van Cripple the Paul Carsons video. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Jack Don Taylor along with Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek One.
Speaker 1: How are you couldn't be better?
Speaker 3: Did you have a super Bowl party?
Speaker 1: Oh? Just a couple of guys. You know I'm not young anymore. Donnie when we were nineteen twenty would.
Speaker 3: Go to see what are you doing? What you're just watching?
Speaker 1: Why I'm getting old? I don't. I can't go to parties like I was younger.
Speaker 3: We had twenty people. Oh yes, you know, that's a big family. On both sides, it was. It was a lot of fun. So the Seahawks over the Patriots twenty nine to thirteen. These Seahawks numbers, I mean, was it borderline easy for them in the postseason? Maybe going back to the entire season. They won ten straight games to end things. They trailed for just ninety five seconds in the playoffs. They played three playoff games, zero turnovers, outscored the opposition one on one forty six. It was really really impressive, to the point where and I think a lot of people would agree with this. I thought yesterday's game was and I'm not alone, I'm not alone. Yeah, kind of boring.
Speaker 1: The first half was the second half obvious, who was the third quarter? But hold the third quarter. Patriots had no point, seventy eight yards total offense, but they didn't score until the fourth exactly. That's what I mean. But one thing I'll say about the Seahawks. They came out of the toughest division in football. They beat the Rams two or three times, But did you expect that, Well, not the Rams not the way they beat the Rams. So the Patriots, everyone, oh, they had an easy schedule. Easy schedule. I can't say the same about the Seahawks. They came out of the toughest division of football. Give them credit.
Speaker 3: And going back to the start of the season, nobody, I don't care who you are, nobody would have the biggest Seahawks fan wouldn't have guessed this. But by the end, by the end of it, like I'm just saying that this was convincing, I don't think it was any question. Right now, they're the best team in football in the National Football League, the betting favorite to repeat his Super Bowl champions going into next year, with which often happens with a Super Bowl champion. My situation here, I don't know how you feel about this, but I almost I'm less stunned by this. And I don't know what to think of this particular group of Seahawks because the last group, the Pete Carroll era, there was so much charisma there and there was more of a build up. I guess maybe it started with Beast Quake and then a couple years later they end up being Super Bowl champions. This just happened seemingly out of nowhere, but again convincingly the best team in the national footbleague that they deserved it. You just don't have the characters on this team that you did back then. Pete Carroll character, Marshawn character, Russell Wilson, great story you know later around bat pick ends up being a super Bowl winning a quarterback Richard Sherman and legion of boom and all that charisma there. There was a lot there, and this team I just haven't connected with as much, but very very impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you nail that, not as many. You know, Richard Sherman was a great interview, whether you like him or not. They don't have that on this team. But what they have is a damn good team, Donny, and I give their general manager John Schneider a ton of credit. Look at the moves. What do you ever No, look at the Russell Wilson trade.
Speaker 3: Well, when you see a wilding Doug pull Cross, you'll see what I'm talking.
Speaker 1: I think this guy's done. He made bold moves, got rid of the head coach, got rid of the quarterback, brought a new guys, he built through the draft. I like this guy, John Schneider. You know, no playoffs two years and rolling and all of a sudden boom, so many they got eight picks in the first two rounds. You can have eight picks in the first two round don and blow it and seven don't make it. Every single one of this.
Speaker 3: Guys talking to the Vancouver audience, they're very aware of blowing, blowing picks inability to pick people well in the draft.
Speaker 1: He's got good scouts. The Seahawks give him credit. Look at all their first round, second round picks, Donny, they're they're they're nailing them. They got a good scouting staff.
Speaker 3: Okay, And as for the other entertainment served up on a Super Bowl said, ain't no, Ryan, you're gonna try to be pretend to be young and hip. The reality is is that you're older now, you're no longer part of the younger generation. You have a kid, you're married and all that. But the anthem was soft. And then you've got the halftime show with bad Bunny. Did you watch it?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't watch it. I took the dog for a walk. I told you I wasn't gonna watch it. I don't know any of his songs. I refuse to watch it if it's not ac DC or a good old rocker. I'm not gonna watch it.
Speaker 3: I'll preface all of this by saying that we're not the target audience, not even Ryan.
Speaker 1: Okay, then fine, I got up, I left, I walked my dog, and I didn't watch this guy, Bunny guy. I didn't watch them. Maybe you guys did, but I didn't watch them.
Speaker 3: Okay. And here's the thing with that halftime show. And it's not just this one, but we got some visuals we can roll here. It's like, first of all, I don't know what the situation was for everybody. I thought the sound was terrible. I thought the mix was really, really bad. I will say the lip syncing was some of the best I've seen. So there's that. I don't get today's music in this way. It's not about the music anymore. It's more about the show, the visuals. And I get it, it's it's television. They have to be effective. But it's more about the dancing, the performance versus the actual music. I don't know. I don't know what to think of this guy. And there was just so much going on. I thought the songs were swallowed up by First of all, what I thought was bad audio, and secondly, by the by the whole production, there were tape bits here.
Speaker 1: It was just too much that this should be done in the theater, not not at a halftime show, Like, how can anybody see this guy inside the trees? There's some seats you can't see him done?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I thought that too when I was watching. How can you guys ripping into the show here? But if you were in the in the stadium, are you really enjoying the I guess you're watching on the big screen. But I don't know. I just I don't. I'll say it to look. I'm in my sixties. I don't get it. I don't. I don't want to go to shows and see a bunch of people dancing and and lip syncing. I just I don't think that's great entertainment. So, and it's not just him, it's so many of the other Super Bowl halftime performers and a lot of the concerts you go see these days.
Speaker 1: I don't get this. I didn't understand it. I don't know this song. I don't know any of his songs. Do you know any of his songs? You could play me twenty of his songs. I don't know any of his songs. I'm not That's okay. I was willing.
Speaker 3: I was willing. Ryanie're being very quiet here.
Speaker 1: I was willing to learn.
Speaker 3: But I just it just was overproduced. In my opinion. It was too much going on. It was unfocused, and you know how I feel about the word focus. Like, I just I didn't think it was great. Now, having said that, we had a mix of people at at our Super Bowl gathering yesterday in the Taylor Household, we had a couple of people watching the Turning Point USA halftime show with Kid Rock. I checked some of that out and it was kind of the opposite. It was, Yeah, there wasn't enough going on. It was it was I found it kind of boring.
Speaker 1: Actually.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if they, you know, Rogercdean wants to give me a call, maybe I can.
Speaker 1: Help them out. You know, I know you feel this called Mick Jagger, Go call Bruce Springsteen. Well they've been there, there, done that. Go get John Couger.
Speaker 3: No, but I I get where they're coming from. We've said there's a million times on the show that we're not the target audience football fans, old guys like us. We're gonna watch We're gonna watch the football. They've got us. But again, we had a large gathering at our house. There are people who weren't watching the football game that I just wanted to stopped and watch the halftime show. So they they've got them as well. I get that. I just don't I don't get what the attraction is with shows like this, like You're You're, You're entertained by people clearly lip syncing. Yes, a million things going on, And what about I don't even I couldn't focus on the songs. No, Ryan, go ahead, let's let's hear from you know, the young guy, young box, a person who thinks he's young.
Speaker 4: Your favorite word, you said, is focused, Right, yeah, what's your second favorite word?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Let me let me stop that right there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Energy. That dude had a ton of energy the performance.
Speaker 3: I'm not knocking the effort. That doesn't mean I have to be I have to be entertained by it.
Speaker 4: Oh, Because I mean, ultimately, look at this all personal preference, because you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Like the music.
Speaker 3: You're telling me you liked it.
Speaker 4: I to be honest, so you understood that I couldn't tell you a bad bunny song.
Speaker 1: No, but you you recognize the song?
Speaker 4: No, because I'm not a bad bunny guy. But I couldn't help. But like I was like tapping my foot to the music.
Speaker 1: Okay, it was it was upbeat. It was like at least there was something to it, like it was.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know, I'm not so again though, It's just it's against personal preference. I mean, I'm saying here right now, I'd love Pearl Jam to be the halftime show. We'd all have different opinions of who you'd love to be the halftime show. So if you try and be as neutral, would be like do you want energy? You want a good show? I think that's energy.
Speaker 1: I wanted somebody I know I can recognize the songs. Yeah, so okay, I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Have been I wouldn't have been impressed by this when I was younger either. It's just like you literal lip syncing, and I don't want to say I want to see somebody actually, you know, showing with what kind of talent they have lip syncing. And the tape bits he had here, there's there was at least one tape when he.
Speaker 5: Fell into the ring, and I mean, come on, like the perform like, I'm sorry, but that's what a lot of people would say, is a performance, sure, like if you hit somebody, for instance, strumming a guitar in front of Yeah, yes, Neil Young, that's boring.
Speaker 1: Give me Neil Young the whole, the whole, Billy Joel, the billy Joel. That's just me. I'm allowed to have that saying. It's all personal preference, right at all.
Speaker 3: So you sit there, you watch the whole thing. I was out by the way and then I went I went upstairs. We have another television with the other segment family members, and they were watching the kid rock performance.
Speaker 1: Just don't do this again. I timed the I time my walk with the dog. So I came back.
Speaker 3: It was gone, yeah, gone, yeah.
Speaker 4: I give them credit. There's a behind the scenes video of like the movie in move Out. I don't know how they do it.
Speaker 3: Well, that was probably more entertaining, but bad Bunny was serving on the people in the trees.
Speaker 1: Oh a music video.
Speaker 4: It looks like they're doing a music essentially. You're right, right, that's what it's. That's what it's become.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I just I don't know, like and I know, like the kids will go to these shows as I sound a millionaires old, and it's like, you know, there's so and so was wearing this outfit and that outfit and there, and you look at the you look at what they watched on YouTube later, and it was you know, they're all lip syncing and dancing. And I don't know, but I'm the old days, smoke filled colisseum no big screen.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest, like I of course, what happens every year they rank, everybody ranks the halftimes every year. It happens, right, and I'm I'm a Stones guy.
Speaker 1: I like the Stones. That was one of the worst halftime shows. I was reminded by no it was it was bad guns and roses over the.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 1: So you would take this over guns and roses. Okay, so again you're like in their prime? Now, okay, sure, I'd like the Beatles in their prime at the halftime.
Speaker 3: I mean you can't prime. Sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a good show. I thought it was decent show. But again it's all it's all personal preference and opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay. The other thing too is I can't remember the first song he did, but have you checked out the English translate translation of those lyrics. No, don't offside, to say the least, borrow football off side.
Speaker 4: I mean there's there's a lot of people that say that's too sexualized, like the show was too sexualized.
Speaker 3: We were all a bit Trump said at that.
Speaker 4: We're all desensitive to most things to this point.
Speaker 1: I mean, let's let's okay.
Speaker 3: I'm just that's just an aside.
Speaker 4: Sure, let's not do this next year, please, I'm curious, man like again, like because of course that's the next thing. And it's like, I don't know, I don't know who's sitting out there because they're obvious candidate is not doing it apparently, so the obvious candidate to do the halftime is just never.
Speaker 3: Got a swift. Yeah, so who who?
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know, Like because Lady Gaga was involved in this one, right, She had the cameo during Bad Bunny, so she's up to three now she's been.
Speaker 3: Part of There were several cameos.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but I'm talking about singing wise, like she's sang during it.
Speaker 3: I think it's not gonna it's not gonna it's not gonna change because well, I know, I don't know the numbers are but apparently they were through the through the roof, which.
Speaker 4: That's not a huge surprise. I mean, his his social following is bananas.
Speaker 3: Absolutely get that doesn't mean I have to.
Speaker 1: I don't follow the out I've never heard of this guy in my life that I know. I've never heard of this guy. He could I don't know that he could walk by me right now at the airport. I would never know who he is.
Speaker 4: But like that lip singing, I would like them to do something different, though, I will say they're kind of keeping the same note with the pop star. You know, it's kind of been the thing since Jesus's gotten involved.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love this bs in our in our inbox here your racism is showing. I love that automatically have to like you again.
Speaker 4: It's that, But it's all music is personal preferences from Peter Puck like I don't know Peter, give your head a shake?
Speaker 1: Like where where do we mention anything about anything about that? It's the music, like I I don't know this guy. I don't know his songs.
Speaker 3: You're walking your dog?
Speaker 1: I was, I walked the dog. I had a great walk.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're running out of time. Here. I've got to take on Super Bowl commercials as well, which will deal with the DTMC, I believe, mm hmm, Djimsey, is it just me? Coming up in the eleven o'clock hour, Jamie mcclennan is going to join us at eleven. Okay, so most National Hockey goaltenders have two three weeks off. We'll talk to Jamie. He's experienced this three times during his NHL career. Way he got his lengthy break yes when he was a goaltender of the National Hockey during the Olympics. What's the best approach? We recorded this interview with Jamie moments ago, and Jamie had an interesting approach one year. Let's just say that big ride. The Twitter guy coming up later this hour. We're getting a lot of response in the inbox, by the way, you know, regarding our bad Bunny conversation. And up next from Seattle, home of the champion Seahawks. The parade is Wednesday. By the way, Rick all Right Ian Fernest from KGr Sports Radio and the Crack and Hockey Network. The Kracking at the Olympic break fairly comfortably in the playoffs in the Pacific Division. Ian's next hope you had a great Super Bowl weekend. Folks, Donnie and Dolly the team I check Dollie and Dolly.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 1: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner. Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca dot sales at ab l E Auctions dot Ca. Monday and all of our guests today, including Ian Furnesh, standing by a sponsored by a person Motors not Loving your vehicle shop where the player's shop. Check out the team at Poison Motors to get you into a new to you ride. Learn more at Motors bas A, NT motors dot com. Seahawks over the Patriots twenty nine and thirteen Super Bowl sixty in Santa Clara, California. Here to talk about it. Ian Furness from KGr Sports Radio in Seattle and the Kraken Hockey Network and thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 1: How are you good?
Speaker 7: Good morning, gentlemen, how are you guys?
Speaker 3: Lovely? Oh oh, look at that hoodie? Look at that?
Speaker 1: Why are not Seahawks? Like, what are you doing? Why?
Speaker 3: Basketball?
Speaker 8: We move on, It's time now to get the NBA back here. We have you know, we were focused here in Seattle. We got Super Bowl in the back of the river mirror and ware we go. So yeah, I don't have a lot of Seahawks here, to be honest with you.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know what if if indeed, and we'd I myself would love to get an NBA team back here in Vancouver. But if it happens in Seattle, you got to keep that name, those colors, that.
Speaker 7: Logo for sure, for sure, absolutely all those that's a given. That's a given.
Speaker 3: Any riots there last night, I all, what's going on? What kind of a city is that?
Speaker 8: I know, I know it's disappointing for you guys in the north of the border up there, Vancouver. I mean, but we won. That was the difference, right the Seahawks ones. I guess it looked fairly tame. I mean, there's a ton of people. It's funny. There's two really big bars Downstown, ones actually owned by the Mariners, the Hat Back, and the other one's brand new one called the Occidental Beer Hall, which is right next to Luman but they're, you know, within three hundred yards four hundred yards of each other. They both hold like eight nine hundred people. And so when I saw the when I saw the end of the game and they're showing the celebration on the news, it was I think it was just basically all the people in those two bars came out. But there were celebrations around the city. I mean our neighborhood, fireworks going off, people having fun. But you know, I think the big celebrations Wednesday, when they have the parade here and then we'll have time to kind of pay tribute to this great team.
Speaker 3: I think what happened in Vancouver in ninety four and twenty eleven would have happened win or lose. That's just me. Okay, Yeah, So, given this stage, was this this Seattle's defense best performance of the season.
Speaker 7: I guess if you want to put in that context, don it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, given the stage, the fact that it's the biggest game of the year in the Super Bowl, I just you know, it was dominating in a lot of ways. I think, you know, you can look at numbers and stuff like that. There was some inflated numbers at the end, but I think the bigger thing was the Patriots.
Speaker 7: Came out their first eight drives.
Speaker 8: If I don't include a one play Neil down at the end of the first half with six seconds ago, let's wipe that out. Their first eight drives were all resulted in a punt and drive number nine was a fumble. So you know, if you just kind of look at it from that standpoint, I mean, they just gave the Patriots nothing and made Drake May's life miserable. It was an incredible game plan. It's a team that doesn't blitz a lot. They used the blitz yesterday to their advantage a number of times, you know, whether it be linebackers or defensive backs like Devin Witherspoon, and they just overwhelmed the offensive line for the New England Patriots. And Drake May had all kinds of problems. He doesn't have the best skill guys receiving wise in the league by any means, so you know, a little harder for him in that regard.
Speaker 7: But yeah, it was. It was dominating start to finish, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the defense had great stats, but so did the offense. No turnovers into playoff games like Darnold had I think twenty five or in the in the regular season to go three playoff games without a turnover, and it's pretty damn impressive.
Speaker 7: He was close yesterday, they'll go time.
Speaker 1: He forced a couple of balls in there that were like, WHOA, do we do it here?
Speaker 7: But no, he was.
Speaker 8: He took care of the football. They did what they wanted to do. You know, they ran the ball. They controlled the game in that regard, and they ran the football. Ken Walker. I mean, I don't know how much money he made yesterday, but it was a lot. I mean for a guy that's depending unrestricted free agent. The MVP weird game, though, Guys like think about this, The Super Bowl MVP is a running back for the first time since Terrell Davis in ninety eight I believe it was, And that running back has about one hundred and eighty yards from scrimmage one hundred and thirty five whatever on the ground and he doesn't score a touchdown. Like that's remarkable, Like in so many different ways, you know, the only touchdown going to a J. Barner, but for the offense, but you know, Walker was great. The offensive line gave them a ton of credit. We I think we talked about this last week though, when we looked at some of the numbers, like in terms of the number of sacks the teams to take, and Drake may had been sacked I think in the regular season forty seven times, Seattle had forty eight plus as a as a team only had Darnold only got sacked twenty seven times. I think we thought going in that Seattle's offensive line, if they could hold up, and they did for the most part, and maybe the offensive line for New England wouldn't hold up, that would be the difference.
Speaker 7: And it kind of proved to be true.
Speaker 1: I've been bragging about your GM John Schneider all morning, and I really impressed with him. Some bold moves got the coach and you know, the quarterback out. New guys in built through the draft, the Russell Wilson trade brought a lot of guys. This guy's done a good job.
Speaker 8: He's done a great He's a Hall of Famer, ya I mean, And I'll kind of give the rest made real quick, built a super Bowl champion and a team that went back to back Super Bowls from scratch along with Pete Carroll.
Speaker 7: But I mean, I think we all know it was it was John and his scouting.
Speaker 8: Staff that did that, completely flips the roster twelve years later and does it again with a second head coach and another quarterback and a completely new roster. There was no you know, no holdovers from those Super Bowl teams. So he's built a super Bowl champion basically from scratch twice. That just doesn't happen in today's modern NFL, especially without a Hall of Fame quarterback, you know, like it just doesn't, you know. And Russ was good when he was here at that time, and Darnold was really solid this season. But you know, those guys, what he's done is remarkable. And there were guys in this town, you guys know how it goes. I'm telling you, it wasn't that long ago that there were a lot of people criticizing John Schneider because of some of the drafts that didn't hit. You know, there are people on our radio station hosts that were doing that, and I always kind of looked back and I said, well, listen, I mean he he got a little cute at times, but I think mostly and when I say that, like taking kind of swings on guys like the league McDowell and Christian Michael and you know, top picks that just probably weren't deserving to be the top pick. But a lot of those picks were either second rounders, like they didn't have a first rounder anymore, or they were so late in the first round it didn't matter, right, Like you're just you've already built your roster, and and so now you're kind of going through the process of saying, how can we fill in a hole?
Speaker 7: Can we hit like a home run with a guy? That type of thing.
Speaker 8: When he just got back to going meet and potatoes, let's build a roster backup, he did it, and he's done it better than anybody in the league in the last twenty years.
Speaker 1: Boy did he nail the coach in Uh, yeah, he got it. That's the third youngest coach. He's thirty eight. You know, that's the third youngest coach to win a Super Bowl. And he's a he said he came from the defensive side. Some guys some teams higher offensive guys, but boy, he went after the defensive guy. And he got it right.
Speaker 8: First defensive coach yep, to also be the play caller on defense.
Speaker 1: That's er bowl yep.
Speaker 8: And and again I'll go back here's where Einsight's twenty two.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of people. They wanted Ben Johnson.
Speaker 8: You know they've already wanted everybody wants the offensive coach, the offensive coach. And here's the thing we forget the last time that now Schneider didn't hire the coach. The coach got hired by Todd Lawicki and and that group, but.
Speaker 7: In Pete Carroll.
Speaker 8: But Pete Carroll was a defensive coach. So John knows, hey, you know what, everyone's going this way, We're gonna go this way. And it worked out pretty well with the defensive head coach and Pete Carroll. And it worked out really well in a young guy in Mike McDonald, because, like I said, a lot of people were saying, hey, go get Ben Johnson. You know, Ben Johnson's the guy, and he's the dude. And you know there were reports that Ben Johnson me have even turned down Seattle. I don't think that happened. I think Mike McDonald, the guy you're seeing right now. I think he was the guy all along. That's what we were told, that's who they wanted to get, and and it worked out. It's just different, like everybody does and builds teams differently.
Speaker 7: In Seattle.
Speaker 8: The two defensive head coaches have worked out. I mean before that, Mike was an offensive head coach on Holmgren, Dennis ericson guys like that. But the defense seems to be working with these guys, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And so Kenneth Walker super Bowl MVP, they have to if they want to, they have to re sign him. His contract is up. There's the Clint Kubiak situation. Off to the Raiders, he goes, what changes will the Seahawk to be making in the off season? What changes do they have to make?
Speaker 8: Well, Donnie, it's it's I'm glad you brought that up because it was kind of a theme last night. Guys realize how fragile this thing is, Like how quick you know, like rosters turn over. You don't to a man, players were saying last night, Hey, we won't have this same group next year. We know how the NFL works. There's natural attrition. Guys don't get re signed, Guys get better offers to go elsewhere. Obviously, the offensive coordinator replacing Kubiak's the key. How many assistance does he take. It's sounding like maybe less than we thought. They may promote from within, so we'll see how that goes. I trust McDonald in this Listen, McDonald made the higher for Kubiak Schneider. If you want to make one mistake, Schneider the last couple of years, he kind of forced Ryan Grubb on McDonald the first year as an offensive coordner.
Speaker 7: That didn't work.
Speaker 8: So McDonald takes that over player wise, you know, I think the priorities.
Speaker 7: I would think Walker is a priority.
Speaker 8: Now I say that the NFL doesn't always value running backs and it depends on the team. And you know, he's but he's still a young guy. And the fact that Sharbony is going to be out probably you know, through the first part of the season with the ACL and he's just not the same caliber running back as ken Walker. So unless they think they can get something, and they only have four draft picks right now, thirty second overall in the first round and a third and a sixth and something like that, it's they don't have a lot of draft capital. So I think you try to get Walker resigned. Rashid Shiheed, the plan is to get him resigned. Kobe Bryant is also a guy they probably want to bring back as well. And then after that, you know, you'll see as a room to bring other guys in. They're going to have to exercise I'm not sure if they've exercised the option on JSN yet, but they probably will as a first round pick, you know, Witherspoon, all those guys.
Speaker 7: So there's some work to do.
Speaker 8: They have a lot of salary cap space and the caps going up this year to three hundred plus, so.
Speaker 7: They've got the they've got the wherewithal to do it. They can.
Speaker 8: They certainly have the capital to work with. But it'll be busy offseason. It's just natural how that works in the NFL. But I think by and large you'll see this core back next season. And you know, I mean already people are saying they're the favorite. The funny thing is they're they're the favorite along with the team in their division, the Rams, Like that division is just so darn good. It's just loaded. Like if you can get through. They're four and two in their division this season. Okay, and then against everybody else.
Speaker 7: Do the math? Were they ten and one right? I mean or something like that.
Speaker 8: So they just rolled everybody outside their division. And if you get by the Rams and the forty nine ers be back next season, it's going to be a tough go Now. You play a really tough schedule based on the results, so it'll be hard to get back next year. But they'll they'll get to work here pretty quick. I think the OC will be the first priority along the way.
Speaker 9: This is our last regular hit with you for this season, but if we if you, if you don't mind, we don't we would like to get you back with the Cracker are going to the Stanley Cup Final.
Speaker 3: They're comfort fairly comfortably in a playoff spot.
Speaker 8: I don't think anything is comfortable in the Western Conference, Donnie, you lose one game, wins your beat?
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, Hey, they're feeling good right now.
Speaker 8: That's a That was a huge win for them at the end, right to get to go to l a back second half of back to back, that was a massive win for that team.
Speaker 7: They took.
Speaker 8: They took two of three on the three game road trip to finish off things, and you know took got four out of six points and they I mean, they're gonna be there all year. Whether they get it or not, we'll find out. But there's also you want to talk about work to be done. I think Jason bot Roll's got some work to do, uh, to figure out this thing. I know, the Paneria Rick. I saw that text he sent me a get God, come on to listen.
Speaker 7: I saw that.
Speaker 8: I sometimes I don't know, Donnie, if you do this sometimes just best.
Speaker 7: To ignore him? Is that? Do you find that?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 3: What you watch this show in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well yeah he no, he wants he he was busting my my chops like I had something to do with it because they didn't get Panerien.
Speaker 7: Well they tried to get Paneria.
Speaker 1: Well, no, fourteen million they try. I give recredit, they take.
Speaker 8: And listen, paneren was gonna go to one team. He's gonna go to LA Like that was it?
Speaker 7: Like with the wife's in the fashion business and all that.
Speaker 8: I mean, everyone around the league knew that even if you try to overpay him, he's gonna go to LA.
Speaker 7: And Uh, I'll be honest with you, I don't know.
Speaker 8: Watching that team and how Hiller plays, I we'll see how that thing works out.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 8: That team's a little bit broken in my mind, but yeah, they gave it a go, which that's a good sign for what they might do post Olympic break, to try to get aggressive and go out there.
Speaker 7: Maybe kyrou or somebody like that. They can go take a run out.
Speaker 8: So in one of your guys, maybe one of your guys, you guys, pretty much everybody available, right, we don't.
Speaker 1: Have any centers here.
Speaker 3: Well, there's one candidate you can take off the Canuck's hands.
Speaker 7: Yeah? Does he does he? Does he wear forty bit? Any chances?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I didn't say that.
Speaker 1: Can we get that deal done?
Speaker 3: Listen, I we have enough people on us today. Given our take on the Bad Bunny halftime show, No, I'm nine hundred years old. I thought the audio was bad. Ian bear whity for a second here. First of all, I thought the sound was terrible. The lip syncing was amongst the best I've ever seen. It was just absolutely tremendous. So there's that there's too much going on. I don't like. I don't get music these days. It's all about dancing and costume changes and the set. What about the music?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know what happened.
Speaker 8: Well, I think it was I think it was more about the message yesterday, Donnie. To be honest with you, I think it was about the message.
Speaker 3: There was another message going on in the YouTube channel.
Speaker 8: Yeah that message was I mean, well, I better not go down that road. But yeah, let's just I think it was a positive message old Bad Bunny.
Speaker 7: Through out there at the end.
Speaker 8: And yeah, we need more unification as opposed to divisiveness in this country. And I don't know about you, guys, we just need to be unified. But down in our country right now, we're quite divisive.
Speaker 7: Listen. I don't have Bad Bunny on.
Speaker 8: The playlist anywhere I went if I heard it, But I didn't mind the message, and I certainly thought it was a better alternative than what was going on elsewhere.
Speaker 7: I'll just say that.
Speaker 3: Okay, well said you said it way better than I did.
Speaker 8: And again this last week I get it. Yeah, yes, thanks guys, Thanks you guys. Yes, yeah, it's a ton of fun. I love doing this during the course as late as we've ever done it, right all the way.
Speaker 3: To Oh that's true for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So appreciate you guys, And you know where to find me if you need me.
Speaker 7: Come to a deadline and all that stuff.
Speaker 8: We'll talk Cracking Mariners whatever it is, and you guys keep doing a great show man. We love listening to the podcast later on during the day, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Ian, appreciate it all the best, all the best and the way I mentioned this that one point behind the orders the cracking our rock in the Pacific Division. So if that continues, Yeah, we're gonna get in back on the show KGr Sports Radio and the Cracking Hockey Network. We'll introduce the poll question next. It's something near and dear to Rick's Hart, Donny and Dolly, the team on check. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Base ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean Front Restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event. Bayside is your perfect year round escape book. Your getaway now at two five ozero two four eight eight triple three.
Speaker 1: Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 3: Okay, Rick, you're up the poll. This was your idea Waddling Dog poll question and experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, sleep sip stock up all in one legendary spot. Come sit and stay at the dog Today, Rick Ryan.
Speaker 1: Got her up the Waddling Dog pop pole question it is can the Canucks learn anything from the Seahawks reabuil? Then look at this? Oh, look at this. Almost fifty to fifty We got fifty five per fifty five percent say no? But what's that about? Fifty five forty six percent say yes? Three hundred ninety one votes. We posted it late today. Uh but you know what, what did Jim Rutherford say? He thinks this? He thinks this Canucks rebuild could be two to three years. Well, Seahawks just missed for two and won the Super Bowl. How do they do it? Some bold moves. They got rid of the coach, they got rid of the quarterback. They built through the draft. They had one trade like Russell Wilson, sort of like Quinn Hughes, they reaped the benefits. They got four guys from the Wilson trade that went either arounds one or two. He's got eight guys on this roster, the GM Schneider in Seattle that were either picks one or two, first round, second round. So he's building too. He's doing the same things that Rutherford said. Donnie built through the draft, bringing the young kids, make some bold mother for his influencing, I'm not, I'm telling you. And then he said, you know, the Russell Wilson trade, I can say the better workout for the Canucks like the Quinn Hughes trade. Did you know it's a big, a big trade.
Speaker 3: I mean the other way around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. But but don I see similarities. I see what Rutherford said two to three years. I see what Snyder did in Seattle two to three years bold moves.
Speaker 3: So they're gonna win the stand like that.
Speaker 1: Bat didn't say that, but they haven't. You said, you sound solid. Not two or three years yet, though, is it? Rutherford only said earlier this year he sees this as two to three years. Okay, it can be done if you got the right Football's easier, though I disagree. There's fifty four guys on a roster. Don, how's that easier?
Speaker 3: Well, you you haven't got guaranteed contracts.
Speaker 1: Well that that that that.
Speaker 3: Is I think that's one of the biggest that's the biggest. The other thing is like getting the right quarterback. That one position makes a bigger difference than any other position in sports. You see, people want to know about an ace pitcher, and you can say what you want about a goaltender in hockey, point guard, wherever the case may be in basketball. But to get a quarterback, it looks like they got the right one. I mean, look, I realized that defense is the number one reason why the Seahawks won won that Super Bowl. But they improved the quarterback position. I think it is. I think it is a little bit a little bit different. And he had to say what I and Finesse had to say about John Schneider. Yeah, the master of the of the rebuilt is he's going to the Hall of Fame, young guys. You know, he's in his fifty he's been around for a while.
Speaker 1: I think he's done a tremendous job. I agree with the bold moves built through the draft, the big tree Russell Wilson, He's not scared. And he also let the receiver go to Pittsburgh. He's not scared to let guys go dog, you know. And k Metcalf, Yeah, DK Metcalf, you also let him go. He didn't want to tick car On.
Speaker 3: Well, they had a pretty good replacement as their primary receiver already there.
Speaker 1: And they talk about who didn't really touch the ball a lot yesterday, but you know Cooper cup did. But I just see if the Canucks are to get out of this mess quickly, they're going to have to do what the Seahawks did. Moves, draft picks, well, big trade, that's a big as Donnie. But that's what I'm saying. Is this the crew? Is this the right crew to do it? Do you have confidence in Patrick Alvin? Don to do what Schneider did in Seattle in two three years?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Well, I don't know who I have confidence in. Is it Ruttherford Alvin? Is it both? Are they going to be around to finish this?
Speaker 1: Definitely?
Speaker 3: This rebuild that or you know, hybrid retooled, whatever they want to call it, that they've started, I'm not so sure. They got a real strong leader in John Schneider. I think that's the difference with the Seahawks and the Cannucks, plus the situation with you know, non guaranteed contracts and you know how you can change things with one position in the in the quarterback. But we talked about the stat before with John Schneider, and I don't think he gets enough credit. He keeps a very low profile.
Speaker 1: Very low down there, very low But the.
Speaker 3: First GM and NFL history to win Super Bowls with the same franchise with a different quarterback, different head coach, and a completely different roster, and not that long a time twelve years.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's very very very impressed, very impressed. He's the constant there and the Knucks have to nail their draft picks. You can have you know, ten draft picks, Johnny, but it's not good if you're going to miss on all ten. He's showing you in Seattle they're nailing the draft pick, especially in the first two rounds coming.
Speaker 3: They have made They have made mistakes, but thatsables great draft pick. Jackson Smith and Jigba as well, But I mean this is just a nailing draft picks is pretty important, vital. Everybody who's a Kanuck fan Inknuck. Nation knows all about that, and it hasn't always been the case here, that's for sure. You wanted to talk some more. You brought up Patrick Alvin. You wanted to talk some more about what he's up to during the.
Speaker 1: Olympic break, Donny, he's busy. Elvin was in Switzerland over the weekend covering the Five Nations tournament. That's under seventeen guys. Don Alvin is now going to go to Finland and Sweden to watch the top eligible draft picks for this summer's NHL draft. You can bet he's going to see ivers Stenberg and the video of Bjorc in Sweden. Stenburg. He's number one, Don on a lot of people's draft boards. I know McKenna, everyone's talking McKenna, but I think Patrick Elvin's going to see Stamburg soon. He might pick a Swedish. Doesn't say that. He's got to watch these guys, though, Don. He's overseas Switzerland. He's racking up what do they call it, don heir mouse air miles. He's racking them up. And he might even go see Tom Lander while he's uh in Sweden.
Speaker 3: Well, and Tom Lander is over in Sweden and he's doing what So.
Speaker 1: I reached out to his agent, don Todd Diamond to see what Willander's gonna do during the Olympic break. I was told that Tom went back to Sweden to do some work on his game, his strength, with his strength and mobility. Coach Tom does not take anything for well, he's at the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Oh that's true.
Speaker 1: Willander does not take Willander does not take anything for granted. He saw some things that he can improve on and chose to utilize this opportun t unity, this break to get it done. The Canucks have got to be over the moon with Wallander's development and commitment to getting better every day down you build a good culture with guys like Wallander. He's a good pro already on and off the ice. If you're the Canucks, you are hoping other young players follow Willander and his drive to get better every day. That's pretty impressive. This kid did not hop on a plane to Mexico, Hawaii, Arizona, or Florida like a ton of NHLers did this awful in Sweden, Donnie, it's not five it's not five minutes away. Sweden's a good eight to ten, twelve, fourteen hours it's not five hours away. It's not four hours away. Done, this kid went instead of of Mexico, he went to Sweden to get better. I have a lot of time for this kid. I gained a lot of respect for this kid.
Speaker 3: Don Well. The other thing is, remember there was a point when Zev william was in the lineup and Lander was running the power play. Oh yeah, first get a par play and then I think a lot of people and I know a lot of people don't care about this sort of thing, but we're in the media and we do.
Speaker 1: The way he.
Speaker 3: Handle the postgame interview, I believe was after the Sharks loss, he came across so well. He came across as a real leader. He did and had time you tweetd to reporters, had time to speak to what you're doing. When you speak to reporters, you're speaking to the fans, you're speaking to your customers. He was really really impressive.
Speaker 1: Well, your tweet nail that this kid is that you know, could be a big part of the Canuck's future. But for him to go to Sweden and work on his game during the NHL season done speaks volumes of the character of this kid.
Speaker 3: Okay, but shouldn't everybody be doing that?
Speaker 1: Don? It's it's a break. A lot of these guys are lying on a beach in Mexico. Cobble Mozzetland can Kun White Kiki Beach. Oh, White Kiki Beach is the best. But anyways, Don, there's a lot of these guys went there Vegas, Oh, Arizona. Troy Stature in Arizona.
Speaker 3: What yeah?
Speaker 1: He sent out?
Speaker 3: What did something?
Speaker 1: Friday tweeted He's in Arizona, probably golfing. A lot of guys are in Florida right now. And this kid who's his character, he's in Sweden working on his game during the NHL season. How good is that?
Speaker 3: We haven't talked about the lines yet for the Olympics, the Team Canada, but the Team Canada lines. Hopefully we can have time to do that a little bit later. We've got some business to do. Meantime, I had a big rye Wednesday. Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed fishing and marine store, wreck, a closed hot tub supply company, and outdoor land landscape stores. Is this supposed to be stores or stones? It's written as stones here landscape stones. I'm guessing its stores.
Speaker 1: The hot tub there.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 1: Eh, Okay, those are stones in the top right stones. Yeah, don't doubt Jeremy Man. Just just read what you.
Speaker 3: Have Jeremy My apologies. I still think Patterson would would have a better time. Would be be more beneficial for him to go and train with the Vilander than go to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Done. He's at the Olympics. He's on line three. He's not even a centerment. He's a winger for crying out loud. Well's there you go. You're just you're helping me out here. So you think a guy making eleven six is going to go to Sweden to work on his game.
Speaker 3: Come on, don Well, hopefully he does that in the summer. Thursday, Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed bike service company and a large quantity of police recovered items of information on these two full days of auctions. Go to able Auctions dot ca A to get your retail inventory sold at auction. Email sales at Able Auctions dot CA Sales at a b l E Auctions dot c A. Top of the Hour, it's Jamie mcclennan up next Big Ride, Donnie Dolly the team on check the.
Speaker 10: BC Construction Safety Alliance is celebrating twenty five years of making BC work sites safer. As part of our mission, the BCCSA is now on the road with the the Safety on Tour, a new mobile education experience that delivers live safety demonstrations directly to your work site, school, or community. Safety on Tour offers engaging, interactive demonstrations that highlight key safety principles, whether it's the effectiveness of fall arrest systems, the advantages of safe lifting procedures, or the protection offered by helmets, safety glasses and gloves. Safety on Tour transforms safety information into memorable and actionable experiences. Book that out a reserve and appears by the Safety on Mobile Experience. Contact the BC Construction Safety Alliance by emailing Safety on Tour at BCCSA dot ca.
Speaker 3: Just they had a big ride at the Twitter Guy base Side Oceanfront Resort Inbox Moy. A lot of a lot of talk about about the halftime show. Oh, Mike Early, is it just me, Donnie? I'm guessing your ideal halftime show performer would be Nanimus scurry again. That's uh fireman, Mike. That goes that goes way back. Maybe the poster child for soft music, the Unmistakable Glasses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Well big what eighties, nineteen eighties, nineteen seventies.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fireman Mike called us dinosaurs, both of us. Okay, it's it's ultimately, like I say, it's all personal preference.
Speaker 4: I mean we're supposed to Like everybody, everyone wants to see their artist, and if it's not like your genre of music, then you might not be down.
Speaker 3: Look, it's like this show. You put yourself out there and hats off to bad money bad if you're if you're watching, hats off off to you. Okay, he puts himself out there and as a result, you're going to get people who like you, people love you, people who don't like you, people who don't care, and people hate you. So where he goes.
Speaker 4: Lots of jokes about him picking up more yards than the Patriots did.
Speaker 1: In the first hole.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, very very there was a lot of energy there. Oh yeah yeah. Time Like I'm not criticizing, uh you know, the message if you want to say that or the efforts, certainly just I just I just don't get concerts in general these days. No, So you're okay with lip syncing and a whole bunch of dancing.
Speaker 1: I don't know for sure he's lip syncing. I don't know it did. The mic is too close? Oh, hold in a second, look how close it is. And he's hopping and jumping off the building. How the hell is he gonna sing? Give your head a shake? Right?
Speaker 3: The tape bits. It's just too much. I think the whole performance was swallowed up by just too much going on.
Speaker 4: But again, if you had an artist then just stepped to the mic with their guitar yesterday and played twelve minutes just scrumming along, we would come in today and say, it's the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: There's no spectacle to this, it's it's it. I would love it.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: The super Bowl as now become from end to end, all about being a spectacle.
Speaker 3: A spectacle for television. Yes, oh yeah, like if you were in this stadium there, they don't care. You know, you don't care about the big screen as if you if as if you could watching that nine.
Speaker 4: They don't care. No, No, it's it's smart. You hat a way bigger audience. For sure.
Speaker 3: It's all very very smartly done. Yeah, absolute question, but absolutely doesn't mean I have to like it.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we've talked about the game, we've talked about the halftime show. Later we'll talk about the commercials. We haven't talked about the food.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, And there was one food item I brick knows where I'm going with this one food item that was trending yesterday at the Super Bowl. Front Office Sports did a thirty second video about the item, and here here is their description of it.
Speaker 11: This is the one hundred and eighty dollars LX berter. It's a colossal raised bone and beef shank. It's meant to feed four people with that salted baked brios behind. Do let's slicese down and then give it a try.
Speaker 1: Family.
Speaker 7: Oh this is fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is salty.
Speaker 3: The dash of salt on top.
Speaker 11: You got that pond due cheese, so it's even more salty meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What does it taste?
Speaker 3: It's not healthy.
Speaker 7: It don't taste healthy, but it tastes good.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for my wallet.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite thing on the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Man, let me know in the comments.
Speaker 11: Would you try it?
Speaker 4: So one hundred and eighty bucks And again, as she said, there feted family for if you missed it, it's a cheeseburger with braised bone in, beef shank, roasted demigloss and point rey is blue cheese fondue on baked briosh.
Speaker 3: Pun I'm out it bone in?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's so again, Like look, okay, so here's the stock photo of the item.
Speaker 1: What's the sea?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is it medieval times? Yeah? Right, I'm cake man, Like what's going on here?
Speaker 4: Like I just now there's a lot of media members probably drooling at this burger.
Speaker 1: Well we know that, you know some, we know some, but I just don't.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. I'm at one hundred and eighty bucks. I'm just not Like I'm a traditionalist. If I'm going to split.
Speaker 3: The bone out and it might be still there, you go a lot of ways.
Speaker 4: With that, but still still look at it. You want it all messy and all everywhere, like you know, you're wedged in with fifty thousand people. Sorry, let me just deal with this.
Speaker 3: Bone in another seat from my burger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I'm not deal with this bone.
Speaker 3: Dogs would like this?
Speaker 1: How do you eat this? It's too big? Like, well, you cut it up like you said you would have had them cutting it up there right, they were cutting it up right. It's just due. This is just too big. But one hundred and eighty bucks, Like, what is one hundred and eighty bucks of that? Tell me why? That's one hundred and eighty bucks meat alone? Have you seen me?
Speaker 4: It's a burger. It's a burger, dude. Beef prices are out of control.
Speaker 1: One hundred and eighty bucks, I could see it. Yeah, and then you're adding on. You're adding on like that's high end and green. That's part of.
Speaker 3: These This is the way in which people like you work. Oh yeah, that's part of the appeal. I paid one hundred name it must be good. That's part of the appeal. Probably maybe probably cost them. No, No, twenty five bucks, No twenty six.
Speaker 4: So what did you I had pulled My brother made pulled pork sandwiches for us to Yeah.
Speaker 1: What did you guys do?
Speaker 3: We had pulled pork. Yeah, and uh beef dip a nice a lot of meat. You both bone.
Speaker 1: No, I just sat and watched. What do you want me to do?
Speaker 4: How I am getting You are the most boring person I know.
Speaker 1: I'm getting old. I just want to set my couch and I just want to watch. So you had what a glass of water?
Speaker 3: Don't I'm okay with that, Like, I can't tell you have to eat somebody.
Speaker 1: It's the super Bowl, you want to eat something. My party days are over.
Speaker 4: I'm old and yeah, pulled pork sandwich is just a real rager.
Speaker 3: Just never mind, come on, never mind. I don't get pulled pork exact. Why same with bone in.
Speaker 1: It's pork and barbecue sauce. What is there not to like?
Speaker 3: I just don't love it, you know, but it's like people getting upset with us because of our bad bunny take.
Speaker 1: This is worse.
Speaker 3: I'm not a big pulled pork fan.
Speaker 1: What First of all, the name, well, the price.
Speaker 4: You take a pork, You don't take a pork, take a piece of pork, you cook it and pull it like, I mean.
Speaker 3: Come on, like you ever made pulled pork?
Speaker 1: I watched my brother make it.
Speaker 3: You're an expert. Then yeah, the consistency. I don't love it.
Speaker 1: It's just it's all good. What happened? What hapen?
Speaker 3: The good old fashioned pork chop? No? Oh god, my bone in?
Speaker 1: My parents? The Campbell's soup, like, uh, pork chops? Which the pork chop cables soup pork chop like the mushrooms. Yeah, yeah, yeah, mushroom also now notice chowder cream and mushroom is good. Cream and mushroom and credit rock a strata wishingly good. You should have had that during the game yesterday.
Speaker 3: I remember I met mom. I'm making stroganoff with creamy much better than pulled pork. No way, this might be the worst conversation we've ever had this show. Stroganof versus pulled pork on tomorrow's poll. Cool yeah, pull course yeah.
Speaker 4: Poor question coming up next, Jamie mcclennen, it's done, you know SI sponsor.
Speaker 3: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 1: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 3: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca A Monday and all of our guests today, including Jamie mcclennan, Tssen standing by a sponsored BIA Pissan Motors. Not Love your Vehicle shop where the player's shop check out the team at Posson Motors to get you into a new t U ride. Learn more at Poyson Motors, b as A and T Motors dot com. Olympics are underway Game one for Canada on Thursday. Here to talk about that and more noodles, Jamie mcclenn and TSN How are you, sir?
Speaker 12: Not too bad? How you guys doing today?
Speaker 3: Very well? You were playing in the National Hockey They go, I hope I got this right when there were three Olympics going on during the course of your career. So what should I don't know what you did, but what should an NHL goalie who's not at the Olympics due to stay sharp with all that time off?
Speaker 12: Well, I went drinking in Vegas one time, I remember, and I ran to the coach of the Edmonton Oilers at the time, Ronnie Lowe, and Ronnie was sitting at a table next to me. And the weird part is I ran him into him him at the gym the next day and he was laughing because he's like, ah, you got it, you know, sweat it out and live your life a little bit. And then when we came back for the Olympic break my goalie partner. I think it was fears. He got hurt and I had to go on a run of like ten straight games. And I did see him in Edmonton and he was like, glad you were able to ride the bike in Vegas, like he was joking, But you know, you do go on a little bit of a vacation, and I think a lot of times now it's so different nowadays, Like if you look at these players, they trained twenty like they trained three hundred and sixty five days a year. They really do. I believe in talking to a lot of them, they take a week or two off at the end of the season and then they're right back into working out, taking care of their bodies and then doing skill development. So I think the players that I would know of right now, you know, especially myself, you go somewhere nice, but you still have access to the proper stuff that you can to take care of your body. Which is kind of sad because I played with a few guys that would go and they would be gone for ten days and they'd come back and they'd be fifteen pounds heavier and they'd have to, you know, sweat it out in the sauna. And ride the bike with a garbage bag on and all that fun stuff. But at the end of the day, everybody has their own pathway on these on these breaks. Put it that way.
Speaker 3: I'm as old school as they come, Jamie. But what the players do now shouldn't have been obvious back in the day. That's what you should have been doing back then.
Speaker 12: Yes, but I'll give you an example, and this is dating myself being fifty four years old. When I started junior when I was sixteen and seventeen years old, our trainer was also the bus driver, the equipment guy.
Speaker 1: He was the medical guy.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, the nutrition was, Hey, we're gonna, you know, have a diet coke with our fries and our burger. So it's a little bit different. I say this, and I defend it because education has come a long way. And I'll give you an example. Growing up in the seventies and the eighties, my dad my parents had a station and with the third seat in the back that faced the other way, waiting for cars to smash into the back of our car. So there was no seat belts, there was nothing, and you know, parents used to smoke in the car with the windows up. So there's all sorts of things that you know, we have learned through education over the years. So I don't blame my trainers. I don't, you know, blame guys for that's what we knew at that time. And I'm very happy for the guys who have the accessibility to today's technology because it certainly certainly wasn't around when I when I played in certain areas and I thought I was doing my best at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad's ashtray and his car got to work code. I'll tell you that if Canada, If Canada ends up winning gold Jamie. We asked this question last week of a couple of guests. If Canada ends up winning gold in Italy, which of the three goaltenders has led the way.
Speaker 12: I mean, I'm gonna go with Bennington, but I am I'll be honest, there's a shorter leash this time around with him. Last year, I thought he was outstanding at the Four Nations face off, especially in overtime when they needed the big save. Goaltending has been the giant question. I would argue that the three Canadian goaltenders, they're all good goaltenders on their own. They have pedigree, but when you look at it, chances are that the guy the other end might be a better goaltender on paper.
Speaker 1: We'll call it.
Speaker 12: But I am going to give Jordan Binnington the opportunity to continue to prove himself, even though I don't feel like he should. He's won a Stanley Cup, he's won a Game seven on the road, He's won you know, four Nations face off and overtime. But you're always looking to, you know, prove yourself. But I would say his leash is a little bit shorter this time around, with Logan Thompson and Darcy Kemper kind of breathing down his neck. So I'm still gonna go with Bennington, but very short leash.
Speaker 1: Sidney Crosby named captain for Team Canada. The right call in your eyes, Jamie.
Speaker 12: Yes, Yes, this is the guy who's been there, done at all. Even listening to his media since he's been over there, him talking about you know, he's this is his third Olympics and what he's gone through, and him and Drew Dowdy the only ones in that room that could share the experience and knowing and how big, big of a pro he is. He's going to share his experience on the ice and off the ice. So I think it's a It was a hands down pick, an easy pick for me. And the thing is is this isn't a legacy pick. There's a difference between having an old guy. You know, he's a legacy pick because you know he's done it and he's been there. This guy still is producing in year twenty one. I believe it's the year twenty one. He's still getting it done. Still a point of game guy, still a leader, So his game hasn't dropped off. If anything, it's just the the package is a little bit older. He's not said the kid. He's said the middle aged man.
Speaker 1: Nikita Kutirov said a couple of days ago, it's not a true best on Better without Russia. Is he accurate?
Speaker 12: Yes, But you know, life is life. There's politics involved in the world, there's wars, there's all sorts of things. You know, right now, this is the best on what's available right now. They're not available to the to the Olympics because of you know, what's been going on in the world. So he's not wrong, but he's also wrong in the sense that you know, he's not going to be able to play and you know, I don't know where he stands politically. It sucks, but at the end of the day, the best on best is there at the Olympics outside of the Russian team who you know, to be honest, and I believe there's nobody that would doubt it. That team would look pretty darn good if they were able to be in that tournament, because you could argue that the three best goaltenders are Russian. You know, when you look at outside of Hellibuk, who's won the heart and all of that. But you know, there's some great Russian players right now in the league. But it's unfortunate that's what's in front of us, and that's what we have to judge it on.
Speaker 3: Can you see Connor McDavid having and we make too much of lines they change, they can change shift to shift. I get that, But practice yesterday it was McDavid, I was Celebrini and Wilson. Can you see those three having chemistry? Do you understand where John Cooper's coming from?
Speaker 12: I do, and I also think that he's you know where he's coming from in his thought process of having depth down the middle of the ice. You know, McDavid into McKinnon into Crosby. They talked about how, you know, a twenty four minute player felt the game was so fast in the Four Nations that sixteen minutes was enough for those guys because the game was so fast and so relentless. So you do need depth down the middle of the ice. You do need to use your whole roster. I think Tom Wilson, he called it playing in the penthouse, I think it's smart. If anything, he can sit with Connor McDavid and just basically ask him what does Zach Heyman do for you? Because I'm going to go do that because to me, that's where he can talk to Cindy Crosby and say, you know, what did Chris Kunitz do for you for all those years? Or Pascal de Qui. You know, sometimes it's about finding the chemistry with the right player because that right player plays the role for that line. Tom Wilson is certainly going to be a for checker, He's going to be a puck separator, he's going to be physical, but he is not the guy who's going to drive that line. What he's going to do is go and get that puck and get it to the other two. So they can work some magic. So I think the best thing that he can do. And he's not a dumb guy. I know there's a lot of people that, you know, judge him based on his on ice antics will call it, but he's the type of guy you want on your team and you hate to play against. And I think that's what they're counting on for him to play against the US and Sweden and all the other countries. But you know, I think it's best served to sit down with those guys and say what is best for you and what do I need to do to be effective on this line?
Speaker 3: Jimmy. Before that, you go twenty skaters allowed for each team for each game, which is two more than the National Hockey leagu Do you think the coaches will like that or not like that, because you know, you know what it's like sometimes in I don't care what level you're at. Too many guys on the bench, too many guys sit in the field is not right. Do you think the coaches are Do you think they're going to like that?
Speaker 12: I don't know if they'll like it. And if you look at John Cooper, you know, and watching how Tampa has deployed a lot of his players. A lot of times he goes eleven to seven because he tries to find extra ice time for Kutrough or a gam solo on a fourth line, right, you know, tries to mix. Now, all of a sudden, you know, he can go thirteen and seven and you know, and look a little bit different. John Cooper is a master of deployment. He you know, you even look at it. Mitch Marner wasn't working there in the Four Nations, but he found found a shift for him in overtime with Coronor McDavid. Right, like it was, it's about.
Speaker 7: Seeing who's going and who's not.
Speaker 12: I think coaches always want the luxury of having great players at their disposal. Really, he's got three extra players that he probably would deal with there, or maybe two, we'll say, But deploying that is going to be a challenge. But again, you're not talking about bottom of the barrel guys. You're talking about the best of the best. So I think it's a luxury. But he'll have to figure out the sweet spot to make sure everybody's got the right amount of ice time.
Speaker 3: Thanks for this, Jamie, and just advice for the kids out there or your people who are new to the National Hockey League. Maybe they just started playing during this All you have to do one bike ride down in Vegas. That's it. One stationary bike ride in Vegas. You're done.
Speaker 1: You're good.
Speaker 7: Run.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 12: My point being as I was there for four days and I worked out all four days.
Speaker 1: Good but I.
Speaker 12: Enjoyed my life outside of the workouts.
Speaker 1: Put it that way.
Speaker 3: It all worked out, Jamie, Thanks for this. Enjoying the Olympics. You bet, Jamie. Mcclennan noodles TSN he's right about Crosby fifty nine points in fifty six games. Thanks right call. You know, the twentieth twenty second in the National Hockey League of scoring race thirty eight years old and doesn't seem to be a keeps getting slowing down all that much.
Speaker 1: Like fine wine keeps getting better.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll take a break and up next we'll update the poll question the Wandling dog pool question. Donnie Delly the team.
Speaker 7: On check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 6: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 3: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 1: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 3: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Watling Dog Pole question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, sleep, sip, stock up all in one legendary spot. Come sit and stay at the dog today, Rick.
Speaker 1: Ryan, get her up the Watling dog pop pole. Question of the day, very simple. Can the Canucks learn anything from the Seahawks rebuild? Look at this? Fifty six percent say no, but forty five percent say yes. Six hundred and fifty six votes. Already. We posted a little bit late today, but there you go. The Seahawks missed the playoffs two years in a row. Now they win the Super Bowl. There was the big trade, obviously, Russell Wilson. There was some great drafting right. There was some bold moves. They got rid of the coach, they got rid of the quarterback. Sort of a template for Jim Rutherford if he wants to turn it around.
Speaker 3: They so what Rutherford and Elvin have to realize is they have to draft. Well yeah, and make some smart.
Speaker 1: Trades, yes, and bold moves.
Speaker 3: You'd hope that they'd know that already.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Donnie, doing and knowing are two different things. Can they do it? Everybody knows how to do it, But can I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to say no, Okay, Well that's your call at this point.
Speaker 1: They better nail the draft this year coming up, because if they don't, you could go awfully backwards quickly.
Speaker 3: I didn't do the show Friday, Quinn was in. But the amount of people I had say to me, including people who are much younger than me, bad Bunny fans, that they felt Gavin McKenna's stock has gone.
Speaker 1: Up since after the incident.
Speaker 3: After the infamous Pennsylvania incident, I mean overwhelming amount of people. They aren't draft the kid. I didn't know that was part of his makeup, like a good Canadian kid sticking up. All charges have been dropped except the lesser chargers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, the.
Speaker 3: Assault charge that might may have resulted in a twenty year prison Yes, that's gone. That's gone again. I didn't do the show Friday so I'm just catching up. Okay, Olympics Canada versus Chechia today in women's hockey, we've had a certain person textus baside resort in boxing. They want to know how the women's team is doing. Yeah, they're one and no. One after they came against Switzerland, which was scary. That Swiss goaltender was outstanding. She was story of the game. They want to end up winning four zip. They played Chettya today. Then I believe that the US tomorrow. So there you go. Women's Olympic Hockey update. Did you see what happened with Lindsay Vaughn yesterday?
Speaker 1: I did? I did. There's a part of me to feel sorry for there's part of why why did you go? Don like?
Speaker 3: Why competitor? She's at forty one years old.
Speaker 1: You took someone's spot.
Speaker 3: You took someone's spot. There's that that's take someone's.
Speaker 1: Spot who probably was one hundred percent healthy and deserve to be there.
Speaker 3: So is that is that her issue or the American Olympic teams issue? Yeah? Or both?
Speaker 1: Well, and she's getting up there in age issues.
Speaker 3: She's forty one and I didn't realize this. I knew about the knee injury a couple of weeks ago. I knew there had been knee issues in the past. I didn't realize until the weekend. And you know, this is me. I don't do a good enough job of keeping up to date in the world of sports. I had no idea she had a knee replacement. Yes, yes, there she is at the Olympics. I mean, that's just that's amazing, except with that the scene yesterday, I don't care. You know what the situation is, you know, regarding the severity of the injury, and you see the you know, the helicopter comings, she's being air lifted out. It's just an awful, awful scene.
Speaker 1: But Donnie going down down a hill that fast with the knee issue, It's.
Speaker 3: Just that is that is amongst the most frightening, frightening, life threatening events. There are the down, the skiing, the down event. Ray Ferraro texted, I believe it was the seventy six Olympics France Klamber's run way back in the day, back in seventy six she won the gold medal. I believe in Austria. And the point I just forgot how like I was so young at the time, just how dangerous that that that looked and how spectacular it was.
Speaker 1: But oh my gosh, and you and I grew up with quickly as Steve Poi Borski, the crazy Canucks and all all that stuff, and we loved it back then.
Speaker 3: But that's that. And you know, I always remember being at the Dave Murray Downhill in Whistler, and you know where the Olympic Run was took place where they had World Cup events and the steepest does not come through on televisionness, it's like it's frightening fast, you know. So all the best to Lindsay Vaughn, whether you think she's supposed to be there or not. You wanted to talk about as we get back to hockey here, man's hockey. You wanted to talk about the line combinations and yesterday's Team Canada practice and they've they've practiced since then as well over in Italy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan, can you get her up? This is Team Canada. A lot of big names here. Boy oh boy. There's Celebriny the kid from North Vancouver and he's on the left side, not up the middle. You can see why he's not up the middle of the ice because there's a guy named McDavid there with Tom Wilson. I love this, I've been I love Tom Wilson. I'm a big Tom Wilson fan. That's exactly where he should have been at the Four Nations. But you know what, there he is, and does it ever hurt to have hard skill in your top six? And that guy there isn't anybody the other than the Kachuck brothers that brings hard skilled like Tom Wilson does.
Speaker 3: I'll ask a question. Yeah, A lot of the talk has been, well, you want Tom Wilson there with McDavid because he can do what Zach Hyman does. Zach Hymon his hit totals are right up there right, much more aggressive than I think a lot of people think him very good at in front of the net. So that leads to the question, why wasn't Zach Hyman invited with as an injury replacement at the very least?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they picked Bennett a guy don that they're comfortable with the Four Nations, right, they took him, and Jarvis has got a little bit more skill and he's a younger guy. But I love bo horvat there Don, and you know what, I love the fact he was picked for this team, and he's on the fourth line right now.
Speaker 3: With glossing over this Wilson.
Speaker 1: I'm not glossy. I love Wilson. I can't tell you I thought he should have been on Four Nations don.
Speaker 3: So for people who are on the podcast here can't see this. McKinnon with Marshaun Suzuki, the second line Crosby between Stone and Marner, Horvat between Hagel and Ryan Hart. The extras are the two add ons, Jarvis and Bennett. And keep in mind that during this tournament you can dress twenty skaters versus eighteen in the National Hockey League, so I'm not sure what the configuration will be. But of interest here, as well as Celebrinian Wilson playing with McDavid, is that they've separated the centers here McDavid, mckinn and Crosby. You know you're in Horvatt, but one, two three with those fours, those three superstars in McDavid, McKinnon and Crosby. Of course, some thought that it would be like it was in Four Nations, I believe, although John Cooper ended up mixing the lines up by the end of it. But McKinnon would play with his Nova Scotia Buddy Crosby not the case in the first practice anyway.
Speaker 1: And Horvett, Donny's gonna give you a two hundred foot game. He'll do the power play if you want, He'll kill penalties if you want. He'll do it at both ends of the rink. So Horvat was a good ad up the middle of the ice. As expected, Canada will be strong, if not the strongest in the tournament.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And as for the defense pairings, the one that sticks out here is that third pairing. A lot of people wondering about Harley with Dowdy. Dowdy was surprisingly good despite his age at the Four Nations and he was an add on right, wasn't on the original on the original roster.
Speaker 1: Remember he had the injury and then everyone thought he wasn't gonna make it.
Speaker 3: And Harley was at was a late edition as well, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was. I love the fact that keep Taves, the kid from Atmasford on Jim and mccarth they played together in Colorado. I love the fact they came together.
Speaker 3: And Theodore, who was hurt at the at the Four Nations, is on that fourth pairing. And very quickly, where's Where's Elias? Patterson.
Speaker 1: But the Ryan the sweetish team. We want to talk about Elliots Patterson, who all eyes will be on him at the Olympics just to see how he does. But this is the Olympics, said Donny. Uh, this is a team Sweden. And there you see Petterson not up the middle of the ice. Okay, their number one center is Eric Sinak, followed by Lyndall then submitted that there's Petterson on the left side, a winger, not a centerman. And they got Holmberg as the fourth line center. But there you go down elliots Patterson starting out okay, not remember he started up high at the Four Nations and dropped all the way to fourth line center by the end of the Four Nations. Yeah, so remember that. But very interesting that Sam Lamb, the sweetest coach Donnie has got him starting on the wing.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've got some business. Oh right, Canada versus Chechia in Man's Hockey Thursday. We're gonna do a post game show.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do a post that starts at seven thirty our time. Absolutely, we'll have the whole kitten kaboodle for you. BC's number one sports memorabilia and gaming shop is Pastime sports h chuck out the largest selection of sports member billy autographed items, trading cards and collectible games in Western Canada. Look at this, she got four locations. You got Metrotown, Guildford, maul kaplan them all and look at this the largest store in Langley. There's Jake Depress. If you can't visit the min store, you can shop their massive collection featuring cards from any era online at the online at pastime Sports dot ce laptop front of the laptop. These are new F one cards.
Speaker 3: On the right.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw Lewis Hamilton yucking it up with Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 4: At the super Bowl yesterday. Interesting interesting card of the day. On the left, someone that a lot of people both thought should be doing Super Bowl. Sometimes that's a collectible. How about this a collectible Taylor Swift playing card, Taylor Swift and F one. Yeah, it's something totally different off the board. Because I can't do hockey, they're on a break.
Speaker 1: I don't have.
Speaker 3: I don't have.
Speaker 1: You got a ton of Olympians. You don't have the Olympians. I don't have down Skier car Bo Horvat card were to work today? Yeah, they're playing Thursday. You got Taylor Swift.
Speaker 3: We're already getting ripped Donnie and I from women's hockey, Like we've never even criticized this much in the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, now you're coming at me. That's what we're getting ripped, just talking about as Bucks Bunny guy and you got Taylor Swift up. Now you're gonna hear it right apparently.
Speaker 3: DTMZ nex Donny Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 1: It's eleven thirty three on a Monday morning, Donnie and Dolly on Check TV. Now time for d t he brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club. Bussy, big oul out there, Great track, Great.
Speaker 3: Track, ETMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design Whistler Golf Club excited to get Phase two of their golf course reno under way in April. Or reminder, if you're visiting Whistler want to keep your game sharp, come play some of the world's best courses on the simbook online at Whistlergolf dot com. As always, Rick, the American broadcast of the Super Bowl was chock full of expensive ads, most of them promoting products with the help of big name celebrities. In humorous fashion. At least they were trying to be a humorous the winner in my opinion, Nevardas. I think I'm getting the name right. Nevardas. It's a Swiss drug company which taps several current and former NFL tight ends to promote prostate cancer screenings. At the center of the ad former Arizona and Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians, a prostate cancer survivor.
Speaker 1: Have you ever.
Speaker 3: In your life.
Speaker 2: Seeing tight ends.
Speaker 3: This relaxed? I am so relaxed.
Speaker 2: They're care free, calm, serene.
Speaker 12: You know what These tight ends are so relaxed about prostate cancer screenings.
Speaker 10: They've learned there's a simple finger free blood test.
Speaker 12: Roughly one in eight men would be diagnosed with prostate cancer, and I was one of them.
Speaker 3: I'm here today because I caught it early. Gron.
Speaker 1: What I teach you, relax your tight end.
Speaker 6: Prostate cancer screening starts with a simple blood test.
Speaker 3: Find out if a PSA blood test is right for you. At relax it's a blood test dot com.
Speaker 1: Let's do this.
Speaker 3: The what are the differences with that ad versus the others is? And I know they're trying to make money. I get all that, but it's important and they threw some humor in there and got your attention. I just thought it was really good. Thirty second Super Bowl ad, by the way, eight million dollars. Yeah, for a super Bowl sixty It was originally thirty eight thousand back in nineteen sixty seven Super Bowl one. That was Enya. That they used the music, that they used the music I think there was. If I'm not mistaken, and Derek might know this, but there might a bit of a nanimous scurry feel with Enya. Just in case you're wondering, Ryan, you got birthdays?
Speaker 1: Yes, I got birthdays. Right, get the music, Get up the sponsor Gus and White Rock ride. Look at this little Leo's fire Hydriant Factory in Casino in Douglas, PC. From Domineck domin White Rock. Great guy, dom, good guy. All right, here we go. This guy was born in Sherwood Park, ALBERTA top ten pick in the Western Hockey League BATHAM Draft, first round pick in the NHL Draft. He was a star at Yale Academy. Right down the highway here forty five minutes in the Abmosburg. Brad Bowen runs a Yale Academy. You know, that doney. He won gold at the twenty twenty four Halinka Gretzky Cup. He won gold at the twenty twenty five U eighteen World Championships a couple of years ago. UH, youngest captains to them that don youngest captain in the Western Hockey League of seventeen. Coots Coots, Braden Coots, Braden kots rout of this guy. This This was a lot of clues. You guys didn't get it. I did, I did right, I did right. Okay, this guy ready or listen to me, bad bunny and stop with the brad buddy, no bugs, buddy guy, whatever his name is, listen. In his draft year, this guy was the top scoring defenseman at Rogel in Sweden twenty five points in thirty nine games. He scored the game time goal for Team Sweden against Team Canada during the group stage of the twenty twenty four World Juniors. Scouts have described him as a speedster with a relentless work rate. This guy works hard on After his draft year, just listen to me. After his draft year in the NHL, he went to the NC Double A instead of going back to Sweden, and people were quite surprised because Swedish players don't go to the nc double a ryot after their draft year university, just a Boston. This NHL defenseman believes his background is a former forward gave him an advantage understanding the defenseman position. The Canucks were the first NHL team he ever cheered for, partly because of his admiration for.
Speaker 3: He drafted the.
Speaker 1: Tom we talked about talking about it. We just talked about he's in Sweden working out, getting better. This kid, he gets He's not on a beach in Hawaii anyways, Tom Mollander. Happy twenty second birthday today to Tom Mollander. Good guy. All right, let's go. Here's another top ten pick in the NHL nineteen at the twenty twenty one World Juniors All Star Team. This guy he hit a Grand Slam at the World Juniors. First player from the Yukon to be selected in the first round of the Western Hockey League. Grafted in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: M Ottawa Buffalo.
Speaker 1: He became the first Cousins Tell and Cousins. Yeah you got it. His nickname, Are you ready? C No, the Warhorse from white Horse. Hey, his nickname, let me say it again, the Warhorse. We get white Horse Yeah, I've been to white Horse. I told you guys, I've been there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was a short weekend trip, but I went there and he.
Speaker 3: Was just still talking about it.
Speaker 1: Coy Cup, Coy Cup. That's why I went there, all right. Last one. Before becoming famous, this actor played in the nineteen sixties with Joe Dee and the Starlighters, a band that also featured Jimmy Hendrix at different times. He broke a rib during a fight scene with Robert Denaro in nineteen seventy nine. It broke his rib?
Speaker 3: Which movie?
Speaker 1: This is a movie I saw. In nineteen eighty four, Once upon a Time, he again appeared alongside Denaro. Him and Denaro have done a lot of stuff together. In nineteen eighty eight, he appeared in the Michael Jackson musical Moonwalker. Joe PESHI, how'd you get that? Robert de Niro, he's in Stop it that that's fishy. You shouldn't have gotten it off a Moonwalker.
Speaker 3: No, it was more of the other stuff. I didn't know about the band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in a band called Joe d and the Starlighters.
Speaker 3: Was he Joe d isn't he Joe p Nah, he's not Joe d.
Speaker 1: Movie Ribban, Raging Bull. He broke his ribbon Reaging Bull.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a great show. Oh okay, good yep? Is it just me coming up? Axel Rose for in sixty four years? Did he use it on Friday? Sixty Friday?
Speaker 1: Nick, these guys should have been at the Super He and G.
Speaker 3: And I are going to play as January eighty nine in the album Appetite for Destruction, This is Guns n' Roses in Paradise City. Check where you come to hear hair metal on a BC Monday morning?
Speaker 6: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: Is next to Honey? Tell you the team on check?
Speaker 1: The Vancouver Giants twenty fifth anniversary season continues at the lec Enjoy a great night out with family and friends as you watch the g Men develop the next NHL stars. Check out Islanders draft pick Burke Hood and Increase. In twenty twenty six NHL Draft eligible players Ryan Lin and Maphis Preston. Grab single game tickets for less than twenty five dollars a seat, or group tickets for as low as twenty dollars per seat, eight quantities of eight or more. Visit the Vancouver Giants dot com slash tickets to grab yours now?
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Rock and Roll? Rick, Donnie and Dolly sound like old boomers shouting at the sky. Bad Bunny was super positive and nailed the performance. Francis and Poco, the.
Speaker 3: Most old boomer shouting at the sky thing is to use the phrase, you're an old boomer shouting at the sky. Shouting at that that is so old. Come up with something new. I agree we do sound like old boomers, but come on, give him a little more rigent.
Speaker 1: I'm not listening to bad or what bad Bunny. I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Craig and Vanderhof Is it just me? Or did anyone else at the age of nine have their dad asked him to shift the car into the next year while he let a cigarette. Things like that, no seat that happened?
Speaker 1: That did happen?
Speaker 3: That's seat belts, darts going oh yeah, sure that happened to me. All the memories.
Speaker 1: The biggest difference between the Cannucks and the Seahawks rebuilding. The Canucks are freed and reluctant to let players go to either gain draft capital or move on. That's from black crete be radical. He makes a good point. How many times have the Canucks held on to someone Donnie, when they shouldn't have.
Speaker 3: They made a bold move with Quinn Hughes Well.
Speaker 1: Only because Quinn wanted out. That wasn't a bold move, but he forced their hand.
Speaker 3: Probably made it quicker than a lot of people thought they would. And we'll see see what the return ends up ends up doing for them. This is unsigned? Is it just me? Where Donnie have been happy with a halftime marching band?
Speaker 12: Me.
Speaker 3: I'm a football fan. I couldn't care less who does the halftime show. I don't go with a football game to see a music artist and have high expectations. And I will say this, I would have been more happy with a with a halftime marching band.
Speaker 1: What happened. What happened. Should not have started this submission that way, because you love a marching band.
Speaker 3: The marching band, you know, informing it to a oh, into a kicker right or into the into the flag. It doesn't get better than that. And you know what, here's another thing with the marching band, no lip syncing.
Speaker 1: We've accept this. Tough singing is okay now, it's it's everybody's okay with it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't get well, you're making an assumption with the lipsticking, You do you know that person's really playing the trumpet.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say yes, I don't know what kind of sinking. I guess that would be lipsticking too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but they have to lip sync. He was jumping off buildings and running around. Yeah, he can't. The breathing won't allow him to sing it properly.
Speaker 3: As for a great football game, I don't think entertainment wise. A great defensive display really by both teams, the Patriots if you liked too like defenses, but you know I wouldn't. It was not a classic Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: No, like if you if you there's because of this part of the world.
Speaker 4: Obviously we enjoyed it, but like if you're somebody living in I don't know, New Jersey or something, well, I guess the Patriots, but.
Speaker 3: Well, no, but they has a They had a montage of people watching from all over the world. I'm not so sure of those those fans are hooked. I get that. I'm not so sure that sold the products today, especially the halftime show.
Speaker 1: What else Donny and Dolly need to realize all the music artists they like are in retirement. Homes now if they're still alive, can you do a remote? Steven? Did you have you seen David Lee Roth lately? But he's still touring, but he looks roth? I mean, I okay, I get I get what you're saying. I'm not asking for David Lee Roth. I just asked you guys for this Deaf Leppard and that the break, you know, and Cougar or Springsteen or John Fogerty.
Speaker 3: I love the reasons David Lee Roth looks older. Is because he is older. There's that I know.
Speaker 1: But he I've seen him touring lately. He looks really old.
Speaker 7: Go go.
Speaker 1: Margaret. Here in Richmond, Bad Bunny put on his spectacular show I don't peak Spanish. The energy and fun was amazing. He had the largest viewing audience one hundred and thirty five million. Is that right, Donny? One hundred and thirty five millions?
Speaker 4: Today it hasn't been that well, Margaret saying it's one hundred and thirty five million. Nielsen hasn't released ratings. After the game of half time show where to Margaret get one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 3: Five minutes, Margaret says that it must be true. Okay, okay, look, it's okay to say you don't like something within reason. Yeah right, it wasn't my cup of tea.
Speaker 1: On more quick.
Speaker 3: We gotta coffee.
Speaker 1: Go go, no, go, go go. I lost my life. I was gonna use the Margaret, Margaret, what go?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: Why did you break? Just break, Pamela. In my opinion, one person singing or lip syncing to can music is too similar to karaoke. Next super Bowl feature a band that actually plays their instruments, or hire a few drunks to sing karaoke.
Speaker 1: There you go, Oh, there you go.
Speaker 3: That's a good good bang on. Thanks for that, Pamela. We'll take a break. Wrap up to show in the poll. Question next Toney tell you the team.
Speaker 1: Un check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Wattling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their Rooin Glenn, vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Wall the Wall TVs. Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Dot Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and stay. Don poll rick Ry get her up the waddling dog pup pole question. Can the Canucks learn anything from the Seahawks rebuild? And look at this pretty close? Fifty seven percent say no they can't, but forty four percent say yes they can. Seven hundred plus votes already starting to hop and bop.
Speaker 3: The press of showing by this Seattle Seahawks parade on Wednesday. You've got some pictures?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got we Where are we going here? Run our overseas?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is John John and Vernon. He didn't tell us where he's at somewhere nice. Oh it ain't Vernon, It ain't Vernon. Don't be mean to Vernon.
Speaker 3: Vernon.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's Vernon's got nice water. When you get past, do you see the water on the left side?
Speaker 3: Calam malcola?
Speaker 4: Oh, I have nothing against Vernon. Why would you rep Vernon, home of Predator Ridge. This is not Vernon in February. Man, there ain't no chance he's.
Speaker 1: Also releasing a turtle. But some of the nice miss water is Vernon in the summer. In the summerla, not February.
Speaker 3: On your left hand side, beautiful waking go go, depend on which way you're going exactly.
Speaker 1: Okay, look at this. I released a baby leather back turtle last week. I gave him a name to improve his chance as survival. Say hi to the Voice of God. This is John from Vernon.
Speaker 3: What's the turtle's name? Oh?
Speaker 4: I think I get his submission. Now what I think he I think he named it Derek. I think I think that's what he did.
Speaker 1: No, Oh, it doesn't say Derek. He says I gave him a name to improve his chance at survival. So say hello to Derek Wong. Yeah, the voice of God. Where does it say he's naming the turtle, Derek. I'm judging the turtle. You know what, you pissed the people of Vernon off. They got a beautiful leg, beautiful water.
Speaker 4: I'm not doubting that there's no way this photo and him releasing a turtle is happening.
Speaker 1: In Vernon, rived from Vernon to Kelowna. Is beautiful because of the water.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yeah, but again, the turtle's name is Derek Wand what else you got?
Speaker 1: It's a leather back turtle.
Speaker 3: Leather Never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never heard of a leather go Dunny.
Speaker 3: I haven't got anything. Is that just the one picture?
Speaker 1: That's it? Yeah? We're done after a super Bowl weekend?
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, well justin in East Vancouver. This one is near and dear to our hearts kind of is it just me? They pulled the plug on TSN ten forty five years ago today, February ninth, and people of whom might not know the story. First of all, we were informed they locked up the control board just like this is. These are the the let's talk Mental Health bill. And the way they treated their employees in Vancouver, where else was it? Hamilton and Winnipeg that day was disgraceful, just absolutely disgraceful. And you know there was in some ways they treated us well, but certainly not that day. The other thing is that all of us caught COVID that day, the same day we lost our job. Not all of us, but most of us did it was not not the best day of my life. But you know what, that doesn't happen. We're not here. And for a lot of people in the inbox today that you know, that was probably a bad thing for them. But we're appreciative of what ten forty did for us.
Speaker 1: In a roundabout way, Yes, we are sadly ten forty went down and five years ago today and we had some great times.
Speaker 3: Are absolutely and very quickly Burnaby, Paul and thanks for that, Justin.
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: I think the people who go on sun covering these Olympics are the ones operating the drones. They capture the speed and danger of the sports with their coverage. People praising the pictures we get, but a lot of people saying they're distracting. I think we'll get used to it. It is spectacular the pictures, they are spectacular. The pictures that they provide outstanding. Okay, interesting day. We talked a lot about bad Bunny and not a lot about a football game that wasn't all that dramatic. Yeah, more tomorrow, not more bad money, but more sports. Promise that'll be Bryan, Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and Jack I'm done and you have to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.