Speaker 1: This radio seven hundred WLW. Mike Allen in four Willie excues the Phil. Hey, we do have a little bit of breaking news, and that is it looks like a at least an understanding for a deal with Hamilton County and the Bengals. I'll just give you the highlights here real quick and we can talk about it throughout the afternoon if you want. Got a lot of other territory to cover too. Anyway, here's the high points of this thing. A new lease agreement for ten years with options for five two year extensions, four hundred and seventy million dollars worth of stadium improvements, which have been scaled back from the planned eight hundred and thirty million in a memorandum signed back in April. The county will contribute three hundred and fifty million, the team one hundred and twenty million. So they have until Monday, that's the deadline to get it passed. The commissioners are debating it as we speak, so there's a chance it could be passed today and if we get winto that, we will let you know. So nice to have that out of the way. You know, we've got a problem in this city, a big problem, and the problem is with crime. At twelve thirty we're going to talk to former Vice Mayor and former chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee of Council, Christopher Smitheman. He's really passionate on this issue and we're going to get his thoughts. And at one o'clock we're going to talk to FOP President Ken Kober. Just Tuesday, I believe it was a couple of days ago, there was a big powwow with Cincinnati police and city authorities on what they can do about it because getting real out of hand, especially in the Over the Rhine area the last twenty eight days. This is amazing. Violent crime is up seventeen percent and property crime nine percent. But listen to this. When you limit it down to Over the Rhine, violent crime is up forty eight percent and there have been this is according to AI, six hundred and thirty five incidents to date just in Over the Rhine. Now again that's from AI. I wasn't able to backcheck it anywhere else. But the bottom line is there's a real real problem down there. You know, we had a deal last week I believe it was last week where a fourteen year old kid shot and killed a sixteen year old kid. I mean, I'll tell you something, back twenty thirty years ago, you would have never heard something like that. These kids are running wild fourteen years of age, and I think the problem has got him charged with felony homicide, felly murder, probably aggravated murder. And I believe at fourteen years of age, if you commit a crime such as that, that kid, fourteen year old can be tried as an adult. I don't know if the prosecutor is going to do that or not. It's prosecutors call on it. But that's what you got going on, and that and other things. He's a guy by the name of Chris Lewis. Just read a story about him this morning. He was at Liberty and Vine last week. I think it was in front of Ruby's and he got punched in the eye. No, wait a minute, I take that back. This was at Liberty and Vine. The thing that happened at Rubies I'll get to later. Anyway, this guy's at Liberty and Vine. He got punched in the eye. Permanent damage, permanent damage. And of course the big one, Patrick Harringer, He's the guy that owned the gym down and over the Rhine, minding his own business, and he was robbed and murdered. So the tally is four over the Rhine. Five homicides so far this year, three in the last month. Three homicides in thirty days. The shooting at seventh of Walnut that was two women, one shot another woman in the legs. I don't think there was any fatality there, but you kind of get the idea it's a big deal. I mean, it really is. I was down I went to my first FC Cincinnati soccer game a couple of weeks ago, went down there to TQL Stadium, great experience, and then after well, okay, we parked right in over the line. I got a parking spot. Was kind of surprised about that, and walked in, saw the game, came back out, and walked around a bit over and over the It's incredible what they have done down there. I hadn't been there in a while. I lived downtown for about twelve thirteen years, but I've been back on the West Side for about the last five years. But it's unbelievable what they've done down there. So many restaurants, clubs, all kinds of things to do. You know, they've got all kinds of historic tours you can do down there. I did one brewery tour not too long ago. It was really cool. They took you through all and most of the or many of the buildings are still there. My point is, it is really a jewel for this city. I mean again, if you haven't been down there for a while and you're not afraid to go down there, you really ought to check it out. Here's the thing. The city better get a handle on this and quickly, or all of it's going to go away. And you're probably saying, Mike, how do you know that? Well, what happened was in the two thousand and two riots. Some of you may remember those pretty bad. It was pretty bad. Main Street at the time was just kind of coming into its own. You had Neons and a bunch of other bars down there. Well, when the riots hit afterwards, just about all those places closed down because nobody wanted to go down there. My point being, you just can't have that. I mean you can't. If you build these wonderful things like they have and over the Rhine, you damn well better be able to protect the people that go down there. Well, like I said, there was a big powwow Tuesday. I believe it was with the city leaders and the police department. And we are also going to talk to FP President Ken Kober about this. We got Ken coming on at one o'clock to be interested in what he has to say. So here's what the city's proposing that they do one thing and I'm looking forward to asking Ken about this. That might be helpful. They're putting together this thing. They're calling it a roving task Force, which is thirty police officers, and I guess they're flexible and they will go to trouble spots within the city downtown obviously, but they'll be able to respond quickly to something like that. And you know what, if the city does it right and if the handcuffs are taken off the police, that might work. But here's the thing, and I'm going to get into this with Ken and Christopher Smithman because I think it came up walk he was on council. If the city leaves them alone and lets them police proactively, it could work. The term proactive policing. It scares some people because they think the cops are going to be out in the street beating people up, violating people's rights. No that's not the case. And I'll tell you something. I don't think we've had proactive policing in this city for a long long time. Yeah, just a little story. From nineteen eighty five till about nineteen eighty nine or ninety, I was in the City Prosecutor's office Municipal court every day dealing with CPD cases. You would go down there in a courtroom and the police officers always sit in the jury box. The cops would be overflowing. I mean they'd be out in the hallways, in that jury box, out in the audience sometimes. My point is they were extremely active, and I know those guys, and they were proactively policing, not in an inappropriate way whatsoever. I remember there was a problem on Fountain Square back then. Well you know, they turned the police loose down there, and guess what problem solved. It was cleaned up with arrest and again mainly juveniles. But here's what I hear from young police officers today. If you police proactively and you look the wrong way at someone, or you you know, unintentionally talk to someone in a way that they don't like to be talked to, that's it. Then you're in the jackpot. You're in trouble and you can't have that. And again, I'm not advocating for anyone, any police officer to violate any rights or break any law, but we have to have we have to have aggressive, proactive policing if you want to clean these messes up, and Exhibit A is over the Rhine. The city's got to support these cops who do this. They've got this citizen's complaint authority, and you know, I guess it's something that's needed. That was a creation that came into being. I believe after those two thousand and two riots. From everything I've seen, in everything that I've heard, they're kind of biased against the police. And I'm not saying get rid of it, although I think we could certainly live without it in this city. But the PD just needs to back the police officers on those things. So, I mean, that's proactive policing. The other thing they're proposing, and again I'm looking forward to asking Ken Kober about this, are drones. They're going to have a squad of police officers with drones. Now, I don't know that that's going to help break up any fights or homicide or anything like that, but at least the cops will have an eye on something. I don't know how they're going to do that yet, but at least they're thinking. So again, it's a problem. And I'm telling you, and you might say, well, I don't live in the city of Cincinnati, or I do live in the city of Cincinnati. I don't go down to TQL Stadium to watch FC Cincinnati. I don't go downtown to the restaurants and bars down there and over the Rhine. So I don't care. That's not a good position to take because the overall health of the city in the surrounding area is something very very important. So they got to get a handle on this thing, and I guess we'll have to see how it all works out. Anyway, we got to take a break, but I'll be back. Mike Allen in for Willie seven hundred, WLW twelve twenty seven News Radio seven hundred Mike Allen in for Willie Cunningham today. Hey, during the break, I got a flash on my phone. Aaron Glenn of the Cincinnati Inquirer reports that Haimon't County commissioners approved new lease terms for paid Corpse Stadium, with one commissioner abstaining. Hamilt County commission President Denise Treehouse and Commissioner Stephanie Summerl Dumas voted yes on the lease terms. Commissioner Alisha Reese abstained. So that's interesting, and again we get some time we can talk in a little more detail about it. But call it Alice, call it agreement whatever. It was approved by two of the three commissioners, and that's all you need. Hey, during the break, I just kind of played around a little bit and we talked about those drones the Inquirer. I hope they appreciate me using them. This afternoon article by David Ferrara with respect to their drones just key points. Cincinnati Police have launched a drone program to assist with investigations and respond to calls for service. The goal is to have ninety percent of the city covered by drones by the end of twenty twenty five. Drones will be used by a new task Okay, that's probably that task force I was talking about. Drones will be used by a new task force to combat a recent rise in crime, particularly among youth. Officials address privacy concerns, stating drones will not be overhead twenty four to seven and will have strict usage guidelines. I don't know, you know, as I sit here, I like it. I mean, at the end of the day, I don't know how it can hurt. And you do have to be concerned about privacy, but not to the point where, well, if some cop somewhere is going to peep into somebody's bedroom, we're not going to do it at all. Let's just forget about it. No, and I'm not saying anybody would do that. This is a good idea as I sit here now, and again we'll ask Ken Kober about it at one o'clock. So I don't know, it looks like the city is doing something that's quite innovative. I don't know if any other cities do that. Hey, we got to take a break for the news. But when we get back, we're going to talk to former Vice mayor and former chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee at City Council, Christopher Smithman about this topic. And we'll do that when we get back. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW twelve thirty eight News Radio seven hundred WLW. Mike Allen in for Willie. Well, like I said in the intro, there's a lot more crime downtown and the city and Police Department had a press conference on Tuesday to trot out some ideas that they have. Some I think are good, some may be not so good. But there are just a lot of things going on downtown, many of them not good. Here to talk about it is former Vice mayor of the City of Cincinnati and former chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee. He's a long time financial advisor talking about Christopher Smithman. Christopher, thanks for calling in the this afternoon. Hey, thank you so much, my pleasure. Hey, you and I talked. I think we talked about it on my Saturday show a while back. Christopher, the crime problem downtown again, you are chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee. What can city council do about that? And do you think they're engaged?
Speaker 2: So the answer to that question is no, I don't think City Hall is engaged. And I think the question becomes where is.
Speaker 3: Our mayor.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And we have violence in downtown and our core and it's very difficult to understand what the plan is to address youth violence in downtown.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw there's a racial component to it there.
Speaker 2: I just to be honest, about an address.
Speaker 1: Did you hear about the press conference tuesday that the city had what I did? Okay, I take it from what you're saying, you're not really impressed by it.
Speaker 2: I'm not because we have fifty two neighborhoods, and you know, you are a former police officer, former Hamilton County prosecutor, and you understand that if we're not doing proactive policing, meaning our officers feel comfortable walking up to a youth, whether they're African American or white, whether the officer is white or African American, and they have an understanding that city Hall will back them up if they don't feel that we don't have proactive policing. We have laws on the book regarding purfew as an example. So if you see a youth downtown at ten o'clock and you ask our visible police officer in uniform, how are they going to handle that? I don't think there's clarity. I also believe that our violent crime squad, which you know, Mike Allen, is out of uniform. Right, that's not a deterrent because they're typically coming in to mopping up. They're responding to something that somebody was attacked. But that officer in uniform with a cruiser is a deterrent.
Speaker 1: No question.
Speaker 2: And so I'm not satisfied that between the time of eleven o'clock at night or ten o'clock at night until three o'clock in the morning that if a citizen goes in the downtow, going to the aeronofs, going down on the square, that they're gonna be safe.
Speaker 1: And obviously, Christopher, that's a huge, huge problem, especially as it relates to OTR. I mean, I went down there. I think I told you this a couple of weeks ago. It went the COAFC game and then walked around down there after. I mean, it's incredible what they have done down there. I don't know if it's three c DC, the city, whatever, doesn't matter, but that's a jewel and we're gonna lose it if we keep having this violent crime, not only just there but mainly there, but in the city as well. One of the things, Christopher, that I know would help, obviously are more cops. As I understand that I'm gonna ask Ken Kober about this when we talk to him. As I understand that they have about one hundred and fifty slots committed. I don't know how soon they're going to fill them. They're also gonna go with lateral transfers, which makes a lot of sense. That's where let's just say a Dell, Hi Police officer already trained, already sworn in UH can get the job I think with a minimal amount of time at the Cincinnati Police Academy. But I don't know. If they don't true, if they don't do something quickly, they're going to lose that gem.
Speaker 2: So we had thirty seven police officers who just came out of the academy, and I want to say that we have the best training in the state of Ohio. You know, Colubs has a closed training, Cincinnati has a closed training, So you can come from a lateral place, Mike Allen, but you still have to go through our training.
Speaker 1: But I don't think it's the full vote. But it's some training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, it's some training. But and I'm not saying something bad about the lateral moves. We need more officers. But right now, if our current officers don't believe that city Hall is going to back them up, you got a white officer approaching an African American youth. They're using de escalation language, and that officer decides I'm not going to pull out my weapon, but I'm going to pull out my kaser and they caase that youth. They don't believe that city hall is going to back them up my calendar.
Speaker 1: That's a problem. I have no doubt about that, Christopher none.
Speaker 2: And so how do we how do we have a mayor and nine members of council who are saying we're going to do overtime, whether it's TVO. We've got fifty two neighborhoods. You went to Elder. You have a great understanding of what war Staw you used to look like. Oh, and what it looks like today.
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: We understand that of Elder and Seatan that we're going to pull out. What do you think would happened to Price here?
Speaker 1: Oh jeez, I'll tell you what. Well, Number one, there'd be a riot of eldergrads because nobody would be for that. But you're right. I moved back to the west side, Christopher, not Price Hill. But I mean I drive through there a lot and it breaks my heart what has happened up there. I mean that's where my family, Dad, Grandpa, all them came from and again it's just I think symptomatic of not having aggressive policing, proactive policing. You hit the nail on the head with that one man. And let me just tell you a story. I mentioned this before. From about nineteen eighty five to nineteen eighty nine, I was an assistant city prosecutor. I mean thisial court every day, prosecuting misdemeanor cases. And there were cops everywhere in municipal court back in those days, Christopher, I mean they were kind of out in the hallways and everything else. I think now in municipal court they have about half the cases that they used to have back then. And I'm hearing that the reason is is these young police officers they don't want to stick their necks out because they're afraid what will happen is exactly what you've been talking about, no backing from the city.
Speaker 2: Correct. And the reason I'm highlighting this is we have an election in November for mayor and a first city council. Now, if the fifty two neighborhoods say they're going to vote for the same people vote for the same mayor, please don't expect crime to drop. You have to elect a mayor who the police department respects that if I am out here and I run into a situation, I follow my training protocol. I use my de escalation language, but that youth pulled something on me, and I use deadly forced that the mayor and the nine members of council have their backs. They don't feel that way right now, Mike Callum.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: They don't they and they need and they need to have leadership like myself to articulate this to the fifty two neighborhoods, to say, if you don't elect somebody who sends the message. Matter of fact, if you ask the mayor, when's the last time you've been to a roll call, when's the last time you've been doing a ride a law, when's the last time you did a press conference? And you let use you use the language and said, I support my police, I support my police chief. We need proactive policing. I need you downtown. I realized that the violent crime Squad is there out of uniform, but I'm going to have I'm going to have officers there in uniform, and they're going to be supporting and enforcing the laws on the books, like our curfew and when we run into a problem, I have your back, crime's going to drop.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's exactly what they have to do. Whether they're going to do it or not, I don't know. Again, you know, talking to those young officers when I was there in court a lot, they don't Again, they just don't want to stick their neck out because they want to keep their job. Another thing, too, Christopher and I know we've talked about this too, is the retention problem. I'll tell you what that absolutely floors me. I mean, back in the seventies when we had to take test twice because we got laid off, we had to take it again. There were three four thousand people down at convention center going for a couple one hundred jobs. I mean, and now you practically have to beg for them to become police officers. And one of the other problems we talked about this you and I qualified immunity and removing qualified immunity for police officers. Good luck trying to find anybody that wants to do that job. Just real quickly. Qualified immunity is if an officer acts in good faith but makes a mistake, they're not going to be charged criminally. There is a move afoot. I think it's going to be on the ballot in November to do that. And let me tell you, the cops know about it, and we got to defeat that thing.
Speaker 2: On. So let's be clear here again that you have an election, Mike Allan here, and so I'm supporting Corey Bowman over the current mayor. I'm supporting a young lady by the name of Linda Matthews. And I say that in respect that her team is listening, meaning she's a grown woman, She's been around, she understands the laws, and I support her for city council running as an independent. We have to elect people that will support the most important part of the work that city council and the mayor do, keeping the citizens state. Number two is the budget, but but number one is safety. How do you have a married couple downtown on the over the Rhine, Sarah Sarah and Patrick soone kicks their door in kills her husband. Horrible and we don't have a mayor and council reaction to that.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: And all I'm saying, Mike Allan is that where is the mayor? Where are the nine members of council? And I'm and I'm sharing with you when you talk about the gym that you see downtown. John Cramley Mayor John Cranley, and he's a blue dog Democrat who supported the police. There wasn't like this kind of like, well do you support the police or not. Tom Luken supported the police. He was a Democrat.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 2: But you have a group of people right now who are different. It's woe agenda where you don't have them making it that they support law enforcement. And while they move assets around to support the central district district downtown, you also leave the other fifty one neighborhoods exposed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that's always been a problem. Christopher. We only have about a minute left. Anything you'd like to say in closing. I'd like to.
Speaker 2: Say that we have a city council that's passing resolutions or what's going on in Israel? Yeah, and Tamas and that's not an exaggeration. We have a mayor that's going downtown involving in the no Kings protests, with with with with the fall Magne Fall. Yeah, they're missing and they're distracted by what they really need to do. I want police officers to hear my voice. You're going to have to the FOP president who you're going to interview. They're going to have to support those members of council and a mayor who will support law.
Speaker 1: Enforcement, no question, no question. Chris Frez always appreciates you spending some time with us, Buddy, I really do.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Mike cal Okay, thank you all right, you too. That was Christopher Smitheman, former Vice mayor of the city and chair of the Law and Public Safety Committee. It's got some pretty strong thoughts obviously, as he just heard about public safety in this city. And I guess we'll see what happens. Hey, we got to take a break, but when we get back, we are going to talk to FOP President Ken Kober and we'll do that right after the news. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW. He oh, seven hundred WLW. Mike Allen inn for Willie Cunningham. Well, you know what, if you've been listening this afternoon, you already know, and if you follow the news, you already no. Violent crime in the city of Cincinnati is rising and citizens are getting concerned. Within the last twenty eight days, violent crime is up seventeen percent and property crime is up almost nine percent, and those numbers when you keep it down to OTR over the rhine, they're off the charts. City leaders called a press conference on Tuesday where they rolled out some new initiatives to try to address the problem. Here to talk about it is FOP Lodge sixty nine, CPD President Ken kober Ken. Thanks for calling.
Speaker 3: In sure, Mike, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, your thoughts in general on the uptick in crime, and then we'll talk about what the city has proposed. But just your thoughts in general. I mean, you talk to the guys and the ladies every day. What are you hearing from them?
Speaker 3: Well, that mean there's no doubt that there's been increased gun violence on the last twenty eight days, and it's something we certainly got to get a bold of.
Speaker 1: They rolled out some initiatives at the press conference. I don't know if you were there or not, but I'm sure you talked about them and read them at least your thoughts on what they're proposing. One thing that I thought was interesting is this thirty person roving squad. I assumed that it'd be uniform offsers. I don't know they'd have the flexibility to go, you know, where they were needed. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: And this is something that's been done before. It is shown to be effective in short term times, but it's not going to be sustainable moving forward. Like I said, they're going to do it for the next thing ninety days or so. I think you're all going to see a decrease in crime because they're going to have officers going out doing proactive work. After those ninety days when they go by to their assignments and do the other things.
Speaker 2: That's the time that.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to see is the whether it really made an impact or not. What I would like to see is the city going and telling officers even that are running beats, go be proactive, go to your job, make sure the city space.
Speaker 1: You know, Ken, you and I have talked about that a number of times, and you know, I keep giving the example when I was in the City Prosecutor's office from like eighty five to eighty nine, My goodness, I mean, there were twice at least twice as many CPD officers and police officers in general, but mainly CPD in those courtrooms. I think the cases have probably been cut in half. What do you think the reason is why perhaps they're not patrolling as proactively as they can.
Speaker 3: Well, it comes down there, we're one hundred and thirty officers short. So officers are running radio run to radio run to radio run. They get worn out, They work overtime on their off days to cover shift. When they get a chance to breathe and take a take a minute, it's not going to go do proactive work. They want to take a break, if something to drink, have something to eat, and it's just not being done. But the other part of this is a lot of officers feel like they're just not being supported and that you know, if they go out and do something, they're going to be second guests and are ultimately are they going.
Speaker 1: To be supported?
Speaker 3: And that's that's a real feeling or real perception of these officers, and that's that is certainly driving some of this lack of proactivity.
Speaker 1: You know what, And I I see that and I agree with it completely, and I don't blame them either. I mean, you know, if you're not going to get that backing from city Hall or the police administration, then why stick your neck out and then ken you throw in what we unfortunately are probably going to have on the ballot in November of getting rid of qualified immunity for police officers. I mean, really, it's no wonder that people guys will answer their radios radio runs in that set, I guess, well, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, anytime that officer gets complained on it, they end up having to go to the Internal Investigation secsion and then they also have to get on to the citizen's complain authority. And that some of the rulings that have come out of that show right now has been absolutely terrible. You know, we have an officer that had a sustained other violation because he had a cigar in his hand. That's what they're worried about investigating, not whether or not an officer is treated as citizen fairly or not because.
Speaker 1: He had a cigar in his hand.
Speaker 3: Yes, three different interviews for him to come out of his neighborhood where we have people that are getting murdered and they have him come down so he can explain why he had a cigar in his hand.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. I take it it doesn't sound like you and your officers feel like you're getting a fair shake in that particular forum.
Speaker 3: Well, and then you see that some of the rulings from the CCA board and that siesca that's going on, and officers are just like, listen, I don't want to deal with this. I'll come in, I'll do what I'm supposed to do, which is protective city. I'm going to answer the radio. I'm going to take care of what I have to take care of it. I'm not going to give them anything else. And that's what's happening, yep.
Speaker 1: I mean, really, anybody that's been involved in law enforcement in this city I think knows that. Boy. And it's a hell of a situation to be in too, when you've got this violent crime uptick. I mean, especially in a place like over the Rhine. You know, I was a prosecutor in two thousand and two when they had the riots down there then and Main Street I don't know if you remember, maybe you do. Main Street was just really starting to pick up. You had neons down there and some other establishments. It was pretty cool. After those riots, that's it, buddy, I mean, just not all of them, but just about all of them closed down. And I don't know, I don't think some in the city understand that, or maybe they don't believe it's gonna happen, but I guarantee it will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's no doubt. You look at you know, the citizens complain Authority has been around for twenty three, twenty four years. It hasn't always been bad. But what they're subjective to these officers right now, they just they don't want to do anything proactive because they already getmplained on they're gonna have to deal with this, so they just don't deal with it, you know, and it's a direct reflection of the leadership of the city. They need to fix it so these officers feel supported so they can go out and do their jobs.
Speaker 1: Ken Kober, let's just say you're king of the world and you can solve this problem. What do you or what would need to be done to kind of get that aggressive, proactive policing kind of back in the officers' heads. I know you said, you know, get some support from the city. I get that, but anything specifically, well.
Speaker 3: The first thing would be action. Wait, when officers go out and they're involved in something, support them, you know, don't send them to CCA because you know they set a cuss word when they're trying to arrest somebody. That's trying to fight them. The other thing is they talk about gun violence in these juveniles stealing cars.
Speaker 2: We know they're stealing cars.
Speaker 3: And they're going out and they're stealing guns and they're shooting each other. There's absolutely no reason that police officers should not be able to go out and chase somebody that they know is to be armed in a vehicle. Yeah, we currently our procedure says you can't do it. If we're going to be serious about getting guns off the street, let these officers go do their job. Change the procedure, allow them to chase these violent people, and maybe some things will change.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't realize that was the policy. Now, that's kind of crazy, you know, and you got teams so much of it. It seems to me, Ken Cobra is these teams we had not too long ago. Fourteen year old shot, a sixteen year old shot and killed. I believe that a sixteen year old in over the Rhine. Now, one of the things that that came out of that press conference they talked about parental responsibility. I think you would agree with me that you can just forget about that. I mean, they're limited in what they can do but the only thing you could do is charge a parent with contributing, and to do that you'd have to have an affirmative act on the part of the part of a parent. But I mean, do you see that as any type of answer at all.
Speaker 3: Well, I know we have had some investigators that have been able to charge parents, but those are very limited cases because, like you said, you have to show that they actually participated in some of these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, twenty years ago, we had problems with juveniles. Every summer we would have curfew sleeps. We'd open up a rec center. We have officers there to process these kids. We go round them all up, put them in prisoner vans, take them to the rec center, call their parents. So it's called a closed referral. So we show that we actually had contact with these kids, but they're not having contact with the justices them. But then it also in convents inconvenience to parents because they had to come get these kids at twelve.
Speaker 1: One, two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's something we could be doing now, but it's just not being done. Twenty twenty won't even take.
Speaker 1: These kits for curfew, right. Yeah, I was going to ask you that. I mean even the violent offenses.
Speaker 3: I guess correct, Yeah, many many violent offenses. Even they go to twenty twenty and they're immediately released to their parents. It's the gun charge. They're going to be released and they're going to go back to their parents.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: We wonder why these kids are repeatedly running around with guns.
Speaker 1: They're now shooting each other. That's pretty incredible. One of the things they proposed can was drones, and I guess they're going to do it. What are your thoughts on that? How would that work? And sounds to me like what they're talking about with that I might be wrong. Is those thirty officers in the violent crime squad that moves around, what do you know about how they're going to utilize those drones.
Speaker 3: These drones are an absolutely fantastic tool and it is the future of policing. I mean, you see our military uses them all the time. They'll fly a drone you to the other side of the world. You'll a dab a bomb. The ones that we have here are basically they're called drones' first responders. They have the capability to fly around, if they have a radio run, they can go to a specific location, see what's going on. Say you have a gun run I'll use that as an example. Sure, you know, and the suspect is you know, we have a mail with a purple shirt at second in Maine. We can send a drone there. These cameras are absolutely incredible on them and we can locate and see, hey, is this is this person there? And if they are, then they can coordinate with the officers on the ground to be able to figure out how to safely go in and encounter this person. I mean, it's got capability to talk to them through uh speakers, right, has the ability to record things. I mean you can. You can have these drones eight nine hundred feet in air and they can zoom in and they can see your phone if you're sending a testa and.
Speaker 1: The bad guys, since they're so high, doesn't know they're there. I guess presumably hopefully they have no idea. Wow, that's a hell of a tool. You guys don't have that now that's going to come from this new initiative. Is that accurate?
Speaker 3: Oh? We've been using them intermittently for probably about the last year.
Speaker 1: Really, we used them in.
Speaker 3: The shooting on May first, after we had people that fled into the woods, they were able to deploy drones which assisted in locating.
Speaker 2: Some of them.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know what, And that's like you said, I think technology, new technology that is really going to help. It sounds like that's really it's really exciting, I think. I mean it's interesting too. We got a couple of minutes left. I wanted to go back to the staffing levels and the getting people that want to be police officers these days. I think that what I heard, the goal is one hundred and fifty and they've got a new class now going through lateral transfers. Now that's been some that's been around for a while. I think CPD you correct me if I'm wrong, did it for a while. Just your thoughts on that in general, the you know, like weekend e bench downtown. I'm hearing a lot of these cops are forced they're forced to work overtime for that, and obviously that would be helped by more police officers.
Speaker 3: Sure. So in the twenty five years I've been here, the first lateral class we did was about two thousand and four. Cleveland laid off a bunch of police officers and we had a class of like about eighteen Cleveland officers. Unfortunately, what we found is within a year most of them went back to Cleveland because they got rehired.
Speaker 1: Really kind to turn.
Speaker 3: The city off of wanting to do this, but then we saw the need. We started having a couple out of classes. Our last one was in twenty twenty one. It is a fantastic idea. I appreciate the city council has committed to money to do this. We certainly have a need and we certainly have the interest for experienced officers that want to leave the departments that they're at to come here. We could use tops from Kentucky or Indiana now that some of the rules that they PATA have changed. There's no doubt or benefits in Ohio were much better than Kentucky and Indiana's enough. Being situated so close geographically, it's a real opportunity to get experienced officers and get them on the street and be effective a lot sooner than the traditional academy class.
Speaker 1: What is that going to start ken getting the lateral transfers if you know.
Speaker 3: My understanding of their goals to have a class by the end of the year. But it's an abbreviated class six eight weeks compared to twenty eight weeks for a traditional class. So I mean the impact that they're going to be able to have is going to be much much sooner than having a traditional class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's a heck of an idea. But the goal again, or at least they've said, is one hundred and fifty one hundred and fifty new police officers. Is that within this year or is that spread out or is that immediately?
Speaker 3: So we're going to have a class that starts July twenty first. That's going to be a twenty eight week class that's going to have approximately sixty. If we have a lateral class that starts October November somewhere around there, that would be an additional thirty, okay, and then in the spring we would have another class that would be approximately sixty.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, gotcha. Hey, we're out of time, Ken Kober, But boy, I appreciate you talking to us this afternoon, and keep me posted on how it's going.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, we'll do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me, Mike, Okay, thank you? All right. That was Ken Cober, president of FOP Lodge sixty nine. Didn't get the sense of Ken was really that hepped up on some of the things that were suggested in that press conference on Tuesday. However, the drone thing is interesting. I mean that really is. And well, I'll tell you what done right, It looks like that could be a heck of a good tool for law enforcement. I'm going to keep my eye on that. Hey, we got to take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen in for Willie seven hundred wlw A.
Speaker 4: Maya, mum, Donnie, would you welcome Prime Minister to New York City for the for whatever he comes for Given the US is not the signature to the ic C, so he can travel to the US unlike a lot of other countries with a Maam Donny welcome Benjamin.
Speaker 5: You know too the city No, as mayor New York City would arrest Benjamin Netanyahu. This is a city that our values are in line with international law. It's time that our actions are also, even though the US is not a signature of the ICC. No, it's time that we actually step up and make clear what we are willing to do to showcase the leadership that is sorely missing in the federal administration.
Speaker 6: Hello, quiet, I'm broadcasting for you.
Speaker 1: By God, I'll tell you what I can only say one thing, God help the city of New York. Man. That's unbelievable. He's too stupid to know seg that he's got diplomats a community here that Yeah, you can't do anything to him if you wanted to.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Mike, Yes, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike.
Speaker 7: The future for we are live the product practice today the home of US seven hundred W well w iHeartMedia Golf Classic, Oh Cool, brought to you by Kim Snyder and UH and and associated. Now we thank Rising Star. We also thanks Ridy for our final lunch to lead in here the beautiful Rising Sun Indi Una and the stuture for Ron silvery local sun Star eating an air conditioning dealer, full cantel at all. But it's hot outside. It's about a billion degrees, so you know what, it's hot, hot hot.
Speaker 1: I can imagine.
Speaker 2: And party town.
Speaker 7: Teen locations in northern Kentucky. Uh, it's all Newark, Douns, Bengals and Hamilton County have an assort about that agreement today. The new lease agreement covering ten years should go through at least twenty to thirty six of our men and strike and Jill Borough aren't going anywhere for a while.
Speaker 1: I think it's great.
Speaker 7: It's four hundred and seventy million, the Bengals and the National Football League, but in one hundred and twenty new that comes from you lived in county, so they can go right there. It's all done. And Katie Black believe Brown said today that it's a great day for the city of sty and the Bingles.
Speaker 1: I agree. It keeps them there too, I mean, and that's what we all needed to see. Yeah, it was a two to one vote in the commission.
Speaker 7: Four June thirtieth was the deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they got the.
Speaker 7: Deal drug and every every assume everybody's happening.
Speaker 1: You would think so, you would hope. So at least now they got to get back in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's well, that's it's.
Speaker 1: A great day to be a Bengals fan.
Speaker 7: That's what I was just about ready to say. The Reds update, Mike, you know, the rest off today they'll open up a three game series up against the Squadery's starting to morrow night. Acting right here on spelling up with ww You don't forget sig weekend coming up the Big Red Machine Ring Union. Yes, you've got Johnny Ben Tony starts bottom. All of the thirty members of the world Champion teams coming coming in this weekend. Also announced today, the Red Sun is coming back good. It'll be the first event at the newly renovated Duke Annythy Defensive Center to run January sixteenth and seventeenth, or as you know what everybody else does, might the Duke Anty Convention Center. It's been closed right for the past year here and they're undergoing two hundred and forty million dollars renovation there. Who's going to open up at the first event. It's going to be anywhere sixteenth and seventeenth with Red fesh Man.
Speaker 1: That sounds good. You know, I've gone down there quite a bit. That's a fun thing. I'm glad they're bringing it back. I think the fans liked it.
Speaker 7: I think there are anyone because need to get up both in firstal autogram, you know, and everything else that I mean it is to say fun events and it's just baseful in the middle of winter time and gigualaste of you knows about a month from from month of January, they start playing training there we go again.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 7: Today even on the red off day, half a dozen red pressing Children's Hospital today, and on this day outside where it's one hundred and fifty thousand degrees in the heat, LA Dealers Cruit is holding a baseball tea today. You know, guys just are sitting around on it off there. They're getting some stuff done for the community.
Speaker 2: You know, l about that.
Speaker 1: Ellie's a good community guy too. I don't know if people realize that I read something about that, you know what, and you know that's that is such a great thing to see those guys doing that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, and they just got done taking two out of three from the games, yep, and they just run right into a Matt free blast and they who was dominant, and uh, you know he got it. He's the first major leader and to make the leagues to go for a ten game within he was dominant last night. And then they fast Cable Life.
Speaker 2: But most of all they kept entering Judge and a.
Speaker 7: Few other guys in next the whole one too. They got the day off, the take and the fund race comes down, and then next week they go to and then Philadelphia, so it doesn't get any easier, but uh, you know the way that is one and they're doing a good job right now.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'll tell you what. You don't beat the New York Yankees with four hits. But I was hoping for the sweep obviously, but hey, two out of three from them, that ain't bad.
Speaker 7: No, it's not bad at all. You know. They that's their first loss in about I don't know how many games against the Yankees over a couple of years, because last year they tosched them up in New York, so they were close to a sleep. But you know, two out of three don't take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, you know they're three over five hundred now I think five and a half out, but only two and a half out in the wild cards, so there's still a lot of baseball left to play, so that is correct.
Speaker 7: And also, let's see were the Normins basketball right around the corner. It's going to be here before you know it. Money yep and gets the latest from the Xavier Musketeers, so they and who is who they signed and everything else? Is there just an update on what's going on there with the Richard Patino Show. It'll be after us fourth talks to greet at eight O five right here on sellnother ww cool.
Speaker 1: All right, yid, thanks for letting us know.
Speaker 2: All right, you got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks a lot, Okay, hit them good, hit him good. See all right, I'm sorry about the connection there. That was not a good connection. But it's out roasting in the sun golfing, you know, so we'll see. Hey, listen, I gotta take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW. Hey, we're back. Mike Allen in for the great American Willie Cunningham. A little bit more on the Bengals deal. It looks like it's done. I don't know still whether they voted on it or not yet, but for all practical purposes, it's done. Really good story from Aaron Glynn and Quinlan Bentley in the Cincinnati in quiet, just a couple nuggets from it.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 1: Hamilton County and the Cincinnati Bengals have reached a proposed deal on terms for a new lease to keep the team at pay Course Stadium. Highlights of the deal expected to be voted on by the county's three commissioners June twenty sixth, which is today. So I don't know, Alisa Reese abstained. Don't really know why, but she has been kind of at loggerheads with the other two commissioners. Okay, here's just a little highlight of it. A new lease agreement for eleven years, superseding the current lease and beginning four the twenty twenty five season. It also includes options for five two year extensions at the end of that term. You know what, I don't know what the normal length of a stadium lease is, but eleven years, hopefully you would think it would be a little bit more than that, but it is what it is. Okay, here's the biggie. Four hundred and seventy million dollars worth of stadium improvements which have been scaled back from they originally wanted eight hundred and thirty million. That was from a memorandum signed back in April, and I think that's what got part of what got Commissioner Reese's iire up. The county's contribution will be capped at three hundred and fifty million, and the team will pay one hundred and twenty million. The Bengals will man it will manage renovations with input from the county. You know, I haven't been down there lately. I think I maybe hit one game last year, but I don't know. I mean, I look around and it's like, what the hell's wrong with it now? But I get it. It's the NFL. You gotta keep up with the Joneses. I guess the county's contribution will be capped at three hundred and fifty million and the team will pay one hundred and twenty million. Already read you that. Let's see this is interesting. I wonder if this is kind of a new feature here. If the Bengals achieve a twenty fourth or better ranking of total NFL revenue in the eighth and ninth years of the least term, they automatically have to exercise a two year extension. That's interesting. In all the negotiations, I hadn't heard that one. The team will pay one million per year in rent for the first three years, increasing to two million annually by year four. Bengals and the county will be responsible for the stadium's maintenance and operational expenses under terms that mirror the current arrangement. The team is on the hook for game day costs, while the county will flip the bill for non game day expenses. The county can employ a third party firm to market the stadium on non game days. Now, I don't know that they had that before. I think that was kind of a bonus contention. So it's good Bengals will receive. This is the Bengals. Bengals will received ninety three percent of the parking revenue, with the county collecting the rest. So anyway, pretty good deal for the Bengals there. That's got to be some serious revenue. But that's what it is if it has not been signed. I believe it has to be signed by the thirtieth, which is next Monday. But from what I'm reading and what i'm seeing here just as I sit here, it looks like it's for all intents and purposes finished passing by a two to three vote. So that's that. I did want to say something too, about what happened in New York. I'll tell you what, and I'm sure i'll talk about this Saturday on my Saturday show. I don't know what's happening in this country. I guess you can say that it's only New York, but I mean a guy who is he's an admitted socialist, Many fear is a communist many feel is an anti Semite. He is, without question a socialist. He's a zo Ran mom Dommy thirty three year old State assembly member from Queens. He's originally from Uganda. He beat out Cuomo, who had some problems back in the day, got out of politics for a while, trying to make a comeback. He's the guy that I would have thought one, even in New York. It's just hard for me to believe that they would elect a guy like this. But it's a goofy kind of primary. I don't fully understand that. It's kind of a weighted and ranked voting thing. I don't know why in the hell they just don't, you know, have the election. Who ever got the most votes wins. But I'll tell you what. The Republicans are all over this already aiming to tie House Democrats to my ma'am, ma'am. I guess that's how you say it. And buddy, you better believe they will. And our CC spokesman Mike Marinella argued that quote, every vulnerable House Democrat will own him, and every Democrat running in a primary will fear him. Absolutely right. JD Vans, I guess today got into the game here too. JD wrote, presumably on x congratulations to the new leader of the Democrat Party in a post. No, it's Blue Sky, a social media platform frequented by progressives, so he's just kind of gigging a little bit. Veteran Republican strategist Colin Reid told Fox News that the Democratic Party is trying to convince people that the tail is not wagging the dog and they don't answer to the extreme elements of their party. Yeah. Right now, that entire effort is undercut by a socialist winning handily in a bell weather election to determine who's going to run Erica's largest city. It's a messaging nightmare that's going to unfold in real time now until the midterms.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: It is only one person, but again, it is New York City too, and you better believe the Republicans are going to be tying that around their neck. The Republican candidate is, I understand it is Curtis Sleewap. You might recognize the name. He was the founder of the Guardian Angels and kind of became a political guy, and I like him a lot. If I lived in New York City, That's who I'd vote for but thank god I don't live there anyway. We have to take a break, but when we get back, we're going to talk to Janis Heiseel. This is going to be interesting. It's all about young people on social media and congressional potential, congressional action to kind of curb it, or at least to hold it back a little bit. We'll talk to Janis when we get back. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW, This Radio seven hundred WLW. Mike Allen in for Willie closing hour of saying Well. Congress could potentially pass the first major legislation related to children's online safety since all the way back in nineteen ninety eight. The Kids Online Safety Act, known as KOSA was reintroduced earlier this month after stalling in Congress last year. Our next guest, Janet Heisel of the Epoch Times, attended to rally Monday in Washington, d C. That was called the National Social Media Victims Day, and she's here too. Tell us about it today, Janis, thanks so much for calling in today.
Speaker 8: Hey, Mike, thank you. I think this is such an important.
Speaker 1: Pocket extremely important. Janis, can you tell us a little bit about the national Social media Victims Day and what you learned up in DC from And I know you've got a very comprehensive article in the Epoch Times, but you talk to a lot of people, a lot of victims parents, tell us what you learned.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 8: I think one of the biggest things I'd like to point out is that one recurring theme I heard from parents is that there's a misconception. People think that parents who have their children victimized, either sexually or by opainning drugs or some other way on the Internet, that these are irresponsible parents who aren't watching enough or something like that. And these parents told me they actually took what they thought were reasonable precautions. One parent told me that she did periodically look at her son's phone to make sure he wasn't involved in pornography or whatever, but she didn't know and this was five years ago when he died. That they actually used coded language like emoji. Something as simple as like a banana can actually be code for a drug.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 8: And so that's something that I think a lot of parents aren't aware of. And I know the state of Ohio actually put out a list of emojis's recent months, maybe a year or so ago. Trying to educate parents about some of this communication that can happen. And Snapchat is one of the platforms that a lot of parents have complained about because they Snapchat offers this disappearing messages function and that can help hide how some of these fears actions that connected with young people even occur.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Snapchat is the one that I think, did you mentioned you can send pictures in that they kind of disappear?
Speaker 8: Is that the deal, Yes, exactly. And the parents one of the parents I interviewed, she is actually the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit against Snapping, which is the parent company of Snapchat. And there are like about almost seventy parents part of that particular lawsuit, with another seventy or so waiting in the wings. It's making its way through the discovery process now in California. And you know, their contention is that that's not a safe product, and you are, you know, not offering a safe product.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 8: Snapchat side of this is that they have taken steps to.
Speaker 2: Try to.
Speaker 8: Had off some of these problems then adding security spieces. But the parents are saying they don't think it's enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sure doesn't sound to me like it's enough. I would not want to be raised young children in today's day and age. I mean mine are grown and gone. But I think it would be very, very difficult to do that. Tell us about the act itself, the SOSA or KOSA, I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So this Kids Online Safety Act actually started being discussed in twenty twenty one, and it's been through various revisions since that time. And there are people involved with the organizations like Snappat or other social media platform have been fighting it. And so it did go through the Senate, just sailed through the Senate last year, but they're dalled in the House and I couldn't get people to exactly say why they thought that was, but they seemed to very strongly hint at the these are very influential and you know, they have a lot of money platforms, and maybe the lot is really strong to protect these platform from this addition, all you know, safeguards.
Speaker 3: To be put up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what I mean. They're all pulling all the strings to get out of this thing, I guess, or they would say to protect their interests. He got Evan Spiegel from Snapchat, of course, Zuckerberg Facebook. They actually testified on this bill, didn't they, Janis I thought I read that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there was some testimony in Congress from the heads of those two major platforms. Again, they were, you know, coming right out and saying that they pointed out ways in which they have tried to add additional safeguards. But the things that the parents want are things such as age verification and more ability for parents to go into the kid's accounts and things like that, and right now that's not allowed. The Kids Online Safety Act would contain a provision where they would at least figure out a way to make this age verification possible with some of these platforms. And some of the other things that the Kids Online Safety Act would do would be to try to eliminate some of the algorithms, which are the computerized programs that target content to people. For example, one mother I talked to was telling me how her daughter was depressed, and so they were would these platforms would farm more content to her daughter about being depressed, and you know, it actually added to her depression and she ended up taking your own life. She became convinced that nobody would love her.
Speaker 1: That's just horrible, And you know what, that's not an isolated incident. Either. I've done a little research on my own on this thing, and teen suicide rates are way up. And also bullying too. I think you do talk about that in your story. It really facilitates online bullying, which really screws kids up.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 8: And also, you know, I was thinking back to you know, years and years ago when I was a kid, you were a kid.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: We also he's had this saying six and stones made break the stones. The words will never hurt me. But the problem now is that with social media, it's like those words are on steroids. They are you know, amplified across sometimes thousands or even millions of viewers. And the pressure on a kid who has maybe fake nude pictures or maybe real nude pictures of himself or herself out there floating around, people commenting, people just being you know, ruthless and nasty in response to that. It's a heavy burden for these kids to bear, and a lot of them, don't, you know, end up even telling the parents about this suffering. The parents may notice that, you know, their kid isn't the same, but the kid doesn't open up, and the next thing they know, the kid has killed himself for herself. It's just those are some of the stories that I heard. There were two hundred and forty five kids who were remembered during that program on Capitol Hill on Monday, and there were sign after sign with the kid's name and what they called their forever age. For example, one kid, you know, died at age seventeen, Forever seventeen. It was really really sad to see how many mothers, fathers, other loved ones were sitting there in the heat, and you know, literally their tears were just mixing with the sweat there in DC. And you know, they had a little candle underneath each picture. And I mean I could have stayed there all day and gathered one tragic story after another. And like I said, one of the biggest themes that became apparent to me is that, you know, these parents were telling me how mean other parents are acting like you're a bad parent because you know this happened with your kid. And as I said, a number of these parents told me that they did what most people would consider responsible activity for a parent to police their children's online activity, and it still wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't think some of these kids know and I've had cases like this in my law practice. These kids don't understand. You put something out there, you ain't getting it back. I mean you might think you got it, but you don't. I mean, it's once it's out there in the in the compewter world if you will, or online, it stays there. You're not going to get it back. And I don't know. I mean, I don't mean to sound like an old fogy or anything, but I think two thousand years from now, an anthropologists are looking at this particular time in civilization. I think they're going to say, you know what, they weren't doing too bad until social media came along. I get it, there are advantages, but man, I think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages quite a bit, especially when you're talking about kids.
Speaker 8: Yeah, now, under this act, if it does get past, they would put social media platforms under enforcement of the Federal Trade Commission, which then would be empowered to penalize violation. And so that's another component. You need an enforcement section. You can't just say this is what you have to do. You have to have some enforcement of those rules. And so that would be how that mechanism would work there. So again, it was just it was extremely emotional. You could just feel the emotion in the air among all of these parents who had lost their children. They hadn't had a couple of young people. I didn't even get to get into this because I ran out of room, But one young lady got up and spoke about how she thought she was fat and she kept seeing then she would be searching for content about losing weight, and based on the quote unquote advice and images that she would see on her social media, she got down to the point where she almost died because she was hardly eating anything for an extended period of time. It had become extremely amaziated and literally almost died because of this. And you know the problem is that, you know, when you get to be older, a lot of times hopefully you have a little more you know, discernment, life experience that you can you know, evaluate the content or wisely, maybe talk to somebody if you're really having problems. But you know, a as most of us hopefully are aware by now, there have been many studies that show that young people's brains are not fully developed until sometime in their twenties a little bit later for boys and for girls, and so you know, it's kind of like actually asking a computer to perform a function that it's not programmed. Right, when you ask these kids to do more evaluation, it's a process of learning and their brains developing in a way that they're able to do that. They're just not equipped to do the evaluation in their minds of the content that they're receiving. And that's part of the problem here that you know, these parents contend that the social media platforms are to consider the kids and really actually all of us to be the product that they're marketing to whomever, whether it's a diet pill provider or some illicit drug dealer who is trolling hashtag to here, I got the drug for you. So yeah, it's a really gut wrenching a problem after you start to dig into it and you see the toll that it's taken. And these parents also reminded me that, you know, the two hundred and forty five kids who are on these posters that were just set up in row after row on Capitol Hill, that's just quote unquote the tip of the icebraph because those are just the ones willing to go public.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I did a little research on my own, and there is an outfit. It's the Electronic Frontier Foundation. They advocate I guess, for these kind of things online, and one of the things that they're not happy about is relatively innocuous part of it. Not inocuous, it's important, but age verification. They don't want to have age verification. And you know, I'm reading right from one of their papers here, all age verification systems burden the right of adults to read, get information, and speak and browse online anonymously. They're not talking about adults, they're talking about kids. And it's going to be a battle, I think because of First Amendment issues, and it'll ultimately end up in court. But at least it's a good first step. I think.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: That Electronic Frontier Foundation is one of the organizations that opposed the bill on constitutional grounds. But it was interesting to see that there was there's bipartisan support at least in the Senate for this bill. I got to hear from Democrat and Republican senators speaking in favor of the bill at this rally on Capitol Hill, and one of them, Nick Blomantall from Connecticut, said, you know, this bill doesn't violate the First Amendment. He said, quote, it's not censorship. It's not blocking people for communicating with each other or coming together as a community. It's about saving lives from that toxic content, saving kids lives in a moment in their lives when they are vulnerable. And I use that quote from him and my story because it does seem to encapsulate a lot of the essence of, you know, a response to that opposition that you know, it doesn't stop you from communicating, but what it does is stop the push of some of the data and gives users, being parents and minors more control over the stuff that gets pushed and said to them.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I'll tell you what. It's a good first step. If nothing else, Hey, Janis, really appreciate you calling in and talking about this very important issue. And I'm sure you'll stay on it and let me know if anything else happens on it.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, thank you for the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Okay, Janis, thank you? All right? That was Janie Heisel of the Epoch Times. And if you have not checked out the Epoch Times, you should uh these stories that she does and the other reporters journalists on the Epoch Times. They're always detailed, you know, it's just not a drive by kind of look at things. Really really good reporting and uh it's a very good publication Epoch Times. Hey, we got to take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen in for Willie seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: I thought he was coming out asking me what would Harry Carey say, because like throughout the day he's always asked me like, Hey, what would Harry Carey say about this? What would Harry say about that? And so I gotta I thought I beat him to the punch. He wasn't actually asking that at all, but I just went like, it was great to.
Speaker 7: Be out here.
Speaker 1: You guys have a good one to that. Let's put a ball gain you don't get a thing.
Speaker 6: Oh hello, buyet, I'm I'm broadcasting.
Speaker 1: God man.
Speaker 7: All right, Mike, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Okay, listen, I apologize for calling you yid.
Speaker 7: I think I did it twice, been called work.
Speaker 1: I love Yetie, but your name is seg So anyway, and I have to say I did not drink my lunch today, So I just want to make sure that's okay.
Speaker 7: Don't worry about it. Don't worries at all. It might be a SU supporter as a proud service of your local temp Start heating and air conditioning dealers Star Quality. You can call Clements Heating there at nine three seven four four four forty four zero one. And also thank you Roxy and also the Stooge Report is presented by Frank Zybell. The one and old Nogiva.
Speaker 2: Five out here.
Speaker 7: Were at the seven hundred worlw iHeartMedia Red Sponsors Golf outing here at Beautiful Rising Star Casino and Beautiful Rising Sun Indiana and Bangled update of course the big news brought to you by Good Spirits and Party Town with thirteen locations in northern Kentucky. The best bourbon selection anywhere. Bangled and Hamilton County of a new lease agreement covering ten years worth four hundred and seventy million dollars. The deal runs through the year at least twenty thirty six one hundred and twenty million for the Bengals and the NFL sixty million apiece from those two. The rest will be coming from Hamilton County. Thank you, Troy Blackburn and Katie Blackburn. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.
Speaker 2: Red's update.
Speaker 7: Reds are off today open a three game set up against those Padres starting tomorrow night at GABP on Big Red Machine Reunion Weekend. The acting right here on seven hundred WLWN Mike yesterday off today, but the Reds, a few of the Reds, about a half a dozen Reds visited Children's Hospital today and then at the heat of the day, Ellie day La Cruz had a baseball camp, so he's doing something. The Reds are doing something for the kids both inside and outside today. So big kudos to the Reds.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. It doesn't get any better than that, you know, I mean, these little kids I look up the ballplayers, especially baseball players I think so much. And that's a great thing. And Ellie's a pretty good community guy too, So thanks for letting.
Speaker 2: Us know about that.
Speaker 7: Also, Mike. The Reds Fest is coming back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: The first is going to be the first event at the newly renovated Duke Energy Center Convention Center. It's going to be held June sixteenth and seventeenth. Of course, the Duke Energy Center has been Convention Center has been closed for the past yearndergoing and under have gone undergone a two hundred.
Speaker 2: And forty million dollar renovation.
Speaker 7: So that's going to be the first event downtown pretty red Fest coming in January seven.
Speaker 3: Hundred W Reds Fest.
Speaker 1: You know what, what was the date?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that you said for the Reds Fest.
Speaker 7: January sixteenth and seventeenth.
Speaker 1: Yet, okay, thank you, thank you. Now, I did that on purpose.
Speaker 7: I know college college basketball. Get the latest on Xavier basketball Tonight the inaugural Richard Patino Show. And at eight oh five right here on seven hundred WLW from Bronson Trevi's Sorrento's Norwood be there there you go, said getting better in Sorrento's, Does it?
Speaker 1: Mike, absolutely not. I haven't been there in a while.
Speaker 7: I know neither of the so but we want to thank all of our fine sponsors down here today, Joe Frederick and his fabulous sales crew, Kim Scheidler, Teresa everyone involved, rising stars of fine folks here and also at the Links golf Course and then here at the Grand Theater. We're gonna have awards coming up here, so we thank them today. And the boys are it's hot out there. They've hot, hot, hot hot. They've gone through a whole thing of golf in the heat, and I think everybody's made it I don't know.
Speaker 3: We haven't.
Speaker 2: We haven't heard any sirens lately, Mike.
Speaker 7: So I think everybody made it through the heat.
Speaker 2: So everybody's okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, seg thanks for that, and uh get inside and get cool yourself.
Speaker 7: If you haven't already done that, you've got it might take care man feeling thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Well, I'll tell you what today, it'd be a tough day to be playing golf. Man too hot. Hey, listen, we got to take a break, but we'll be back. Mike Allen in for Willie, seven hundred WLW News Radio seven hundred WLW. Mike Allen in for Willie and I'm joined by Rocky boys. Hey, Hey, how were doing, Mike? I'm good? How about you doing?
Speaker 2: Good? Man?
Speaker 1: Good? Good and cool? Sick of the weather?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Man, that that's that, uh time here since then?
Speaker 3: It is it is.
Speaker 1: I know you just kind of had a chance to take a look at it. But your thoughts on the Bengals in county coming to terms on their lease.
Speaker 10: It's gotta be somewhat of a win for the county right where, Yeah, the least, So that's I think that's gonna help use there's so much bad blood going back twenty five, twenty eight years ago.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was really, I mean there's still be still people that bring that up.
Speaker 10: You know how we got how the taxpayer got screwed. So oh well, knowing all the details, looks like that'll be.
Speaker 1: A better thing.
Speaker 10: Didn't seem anything too revolutionary. No, it's just it's essentially, you know, gonna be We're gonna be the same place here ten eleven years.
Speaker 1: From It sounds like, yeah, yeah, the Bengals will receive ninety parking revenue with the county getting the rest.
Speaker 10: That's got to be a lot of That's gotta be a lot of money because there's a parking spotster. I mean, you're paying twenty five bucks or more right to park, so I ain't bad. Some big good chunk of change there.
Speaker 1: Hey, we were talking off the air about what happened in New York City yesterday with this mom Donnie Dude, I guess he's going to be the Democrat candidate for mayor. He's a socialist, he's an admitted socialist. A lot of people think he's just a flat out communist. I'm one of them.
Speaker 10: Yeah, what the hell is happening? Apparently things have not been painful enough for the people of New York City. Apparently they got to get worse before they get better. I can't understand it, you know. And he's to the left of of of of Cuomo, Yeah, which is that was pretty hard to do OOC. Yeah, to the left of AOC. Again, you get what you vote for. And if this is what people want, I don't know. I think there's a lot of you know, the influx of a lot of people, you know, non English speaking, uh, you know, foreigners that don't necessarily want to assimilate into American culture, and so you got to, you know, so they whatever this guy is spouting off seems appealing.
Speaker 1: It's impossible. It will never work. And that's the thing about idealism is like it's it if people try it over and.
Speaker 10: Over and over.
Speaker 1: Now, this time it will work. This time, we'll figure out.
Speaker 10: But never in history, name a name a communist, socialist regime that never that that has work's worked out, and people have had jobs, and people have prospered, and there's been you know, great things that it hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: What a great example what socialism has done. Communism is done for them, you know, I mean it's a perfect example. So I don't know, you know a lot. I mean, what do you want to do like city run grocery stores?
Speaker 10: So it's impossible, I I that's the last thing you want, is that the government controlling how much can be something can be charged for in a grocery store.
Speaker 1: Something tells me if people like you and I went in and tried to get free groceries, we wouldn't get it. We wouldn't get it. Yeah, it won't happen. There's probably an income limit or something. But it's weird.
Speaker 10: It's like like capitalism creates, like creates great things in a great culture, but it's like along the way people lose sight of how they got there, and it's like, oh, we should we should change things, we should try it this way. And you know, things are a little bit uneven yep, and and things are are made better. And it's like instead of you know, fighting to hold on to the things that have made their lives better, no, let's try something else, try something different, But over and over and over makes our lives worse.
Speaker 1: I can't understand. And that's exactly the deal with socialism. They just don't learn, you know.
Speaker 10: Again, I think it's like it's people go, all right, well it should work like it should work this time, this time it will And I got the idea of that this is how it'll work this time, but it never ever ever does so until then, I feel sorry for a lot of people of New York City.
Speaker 1: But it's it's got to get worse before it gets better. I know two governors that are happy probably about it, and that's a governor Florida, governor in Texas, because people are going to vote with their feet and get the hell out of there.
Speaker 10: So many have already, as long as the people when they move out, they they they leave their you know, the politics there. Sometimes yes, I got started a lot of friends in Nashville and they say, there's so many people from California coming to escape that what's going on out there. But sometimes they're bringing their their their politics with them. And said, wait a minute, you came here because you didn't like the situation there, and now you're trying to create the same thing.
Speaker 1: Keep that at home, you know, keep it over there. You know the guy that apparently I think answered Republican nod is Curtis Sleewak. I don't know if you know who he is.
Speaker 3: He don't.
Speaker 1: He's the dude that started the Guardian Angels. Really good guy, very you know, police friendly and police oriented. He runs some kind of foundation. Now, of course, a Republican running in New York City, you can probably forget it. But I don't know the numbers are for me.
Speaker 10: But Trump did much better in New York than anybody has done in a long, long, long time. So maybe maybe some of the opinion has shifted over and maybe people change their minds.
Speaker 1: But okay, I gotta show you this Rocky Fox News poll, Biden, White House, the question is honest about mental fitness? Yes, twenty nine percent, No, sixty eight percent, and a good number of those are Democrats. It might be a majority of Democrats too. And the House, through Comber his committee, the Oversight Committee, they're starting to hammer down on that too. Yeah, and it's important, you know, you get people say I let it go, let it go. That's there's no way you can.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 10: I mean, if you let it go, then then there's your You're saying it's succeptible to happen again, which of course is not. Yeah, we had a leader that doesn't it wasn't really in charge that cries out for a bipartian And to me, the most shameful part about it is, I mean you I most people could take one look at him over the last three four years ago. Yeah, it's more than just you know, becoming elderly. There's something much going on. If you're being honest with yourself and know the media for a long time, No, he's not, he's fit, he's fit, and then then he's not. It's it's undoubtedly proven he's not. And then people write books and say, oh, see this is what was going on. Well, you knew the whole time. You were trying to convince me it wasn't. But in your heart of hearts, you knew it was. I had to hold my nose. I bought both of the books.
Speaker 1: Didn't really want to enrich the authors, but I just couldn't help my showing of Jake Tapper's uh yeah, vacation home. Where were you, Jakie? Ye know at the time, it's just such a and what's what's your name? The former Press secretary Jean Pierre. Yeah, she's doing that too.
Speaker 10: It's cash in time. I guess that's the Green Letters of Salvation. It's undefeated. It is absolutely undefeated. You know, the one I blame for a lot of things is doctor Jill.
Speaker 1: You know, she's the one, and I've read that that's in the books new along with a couple of other people, but mainly her pushing him to run. I mean, can you imagine that guy Rocky would be if he would ran and won President of the United States until the year twenty twenty nine. I mean, you can barely function that, right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it is a response. You think if she, you know, truly loved him, she say, look, this is not what's what's best for you. Now, maybe it's best for Jill. And she still gets the you know, the recognition and the cocktail parties and all that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yep, right, if you're the first lady, that's what she's into. Yeah, right, And that's sad, it really is.
Speaker 10: I would hope, uh, one of these days, maybe soon, when I'm not with it there, my wife says, you want, honey, let's maybe you shouldn't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: Let's hope you hope they'd step up to the front and do that. I mean, I don't know. And can you imagine Joe Biden pulling off what Trump pulled off last week with the rampan No, no, you know what, Rocky. I mean, it's military and it's serious, and you know, obviously people could get hurt. But that was a thing of beauty, I mean absolute beauty. To watch things like that that. It's just so in all of how great and amazing our military is to put on a mission. Okay, we're what to b two bombers fly forty four hours straight. They refuel and air multiple times, fly over, I ran undetected, drop a payload, fly out undetected. It's absolutely amazing that are we have people in our country that can develop things like that and orchestrate things like that. It's great. It's unbelievable. Hey, we're out of time, but appreciate you chatting. Absolutely all right. I want to thank my great producer, Big Dave Keaton. Tomorrow, Dan Carroll, he will be here in Willie's seat and I'll be back Saturday morning for Saturday Midday. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW