Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Coming up in our wellness segment later on in the show, eight everyday tasks that will give you eleven extra healthy years.
Speaker 2: Let me guess.
Speaker 3: Stretch no no walk, partly drink water.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's on the list.
Speaker 2: Fireball also not on the list.
Speaker 1: If you want to see fun fireball antics, you'll have to check out our social media at Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: That's all. I'll say.
Speaker 4: That's probably more than enough.
Speaker 3: We do expect some rain this weekend, as Amy's been telling us, rain is in the forecast for Saturday. Because of the potential threat to the new Burn areas, Mayor Bass has to shoot an emergency executive order for the City of La to shore up Burn area, stem the flow of toxic debris and the event of rain this weekend, So they're going to more city resources to help clear the hillsides, specifically her area, which is of course going to be the Palisades area, And she said she was going to be working with the county to make sure that areas in the eaten fire are going to be taken care of as well. But our weather pales in comparison to what's going on in the South. At least nine people have died across the central and eastern US because of wintery weather. One of one crash in Batesville, Texas killed five people, and they said they've set snow records in places like New Orleans and Mobile, Alabama.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, these are places that are not used to this kind of weather. So people are just told, basically what you tell your daughter to do in Texas, just stay home, stay home. You don't have you don't have a snowplow, you're not equipped to deal with snow.
Speaker 2: Just wait this one out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pensacola. My wife actually grew up spent a lot of time as a kid in Pensacola. Pensacola got seven more than seven and a half inches of snow. Their previous record was three inches from twenty some odd years ago. Louis Are thirty years ago. I guess it was Louisiana shut down a one hundred mile stretch of I ten because of the snow in that in that area.
Speaker 1: So is your wife a big Jimmy Buffett fan. No, Frankie and Lola on their second honeymoon in Pensacola.
Speaker 4: No, I don't even I've never I don't know that one before.
Speaker 2: No, you should spend more time with my husband.
Speaker 3: DEEI is in the bull's eye right now. President Trump's administration took aim at the government DEI programs, ordering all federal Diversity Equity and Inclusion employees to be placed on paid leave no later than tonight close of business, and that all DEI offices will be closed down for review. Eventually, these employees will be laid off or reassigned following the execut orders that have been signed in the OPM's acting director, Charles Azel, sent his memo to federal department and agency heads instructing them to inform all employees of any DEI office in the federal government that they were being placed on paid administrative leave, effective immediately and by next Friday. Those agency heads to have to provide a written plan for executing a reduction enforce action of all of those DEI employees. And again, this is not people who have been hired under diversity Equity and Inclusion programs.
Speaker 4: These are program.
Speaker 1: These are people who have been hired just specifically to carry out a dei agenda in X, Y and Z departments. Yes, it is fluff, It is blubber. It is not common sense. If you want to have a dei agenda, fine, then then put out the literature to Hooever the powers may be in the hiring protocols for every department. Right, it's important that our workforce looks like the population whatever however you want to say that. But to bloat these agencies with somebody specifically put in to make sure this is happening is just that it's blown.
Speaker 3: This is the title. I mean, think of the job titles that this targets. It's like the director of microaggression policy or I mean, that's the kind of thing. It's not the guy who got hired under the policy itself, it's those administrators of those policies.
Speaker 1: I was listening to a meditation this morning. I like to meditate in the morning and meditate in the evening. And you'll look at me and say, that's fufu.
Speaker 4: I didn't say the fo.
Speaker 2: Your face is saying fuf foo. That's fine. It grounds me. I like it anyway.
Speaker 1: Today in my morning meditation, the person leading the minute in they're like eight minutes.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal. It's daily j if you know it.
Speaker 1: And I use the com app anyway, He says at the end, when we're doing our breathing, if you have a complicated relationship with your breath, and I said, what the and I said the word in my car during the meditation, what the f comply? If you can't handle breathing, folks, that's a real problem. That's a real sad state of affairs we're in this world. If we are too weak and don't feel safe in breathing, we are screwed as a people. You cannot honestly look at me and tell me you have a complicated relationship with your breath. With breathing, it's one thing if your mind wanders when you're trying to meditate.
Speaker 2: That's not what he was saying. He was saying, if you.
Speaker 1: Have a bad relationship with breathing, that is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Can I suggest a different motive, motivational speaker, meditational guy for you because it doesn't seem Jaysh Shetty doesn't seem to fit your style.
Speaker 2: I'm just well, I'm trying to move away from my style.
Speaker 3: I know, Greg Williams just yeah, something along those lines.
Speaker 2: See, that's the lane I live in.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to get a wave to another lane of peace and breathing. Okay, it's okay, but you know what, the whole country collectively needs to grow a pair, and this is one way to get into that lane.
Speaker 4: A bunch of stories that we are following.
Speaker 3: Of course, a day two, second full day of the Trump presidency brings with it some more exciting news. I suppose they directed federal prosecutors to investigate and potentially prosecute state and local officials who don't cooperate with the president's plans to carry out mass deportations. In a moment of Justice Department employees, the acting Deputy Attorney General wrote that the supremacy Clause of the Constitution and other legal authorities require state and local actors to comply with the executive branches immigration enforcement initiatives.
Speaker 1: Well, people enforcing immigration laws, they say, will now be able to arrest people at places like schools and churches, will turn out.
Speaker 3: I forgot to mention this. We just saw this during the break. A spokesperson, We'll get back. Metro Nashville Public School spokesperson has confirmed shots were fired at a high school at Antioch High School in the southeast portion of Davidson County in the Nashville area. Antioch High School is on lockdown. They said shots were fired inside the school building. Active crime scene, active investigation. The Metro Nashville Police Department was quoted as saying that the shooter shot two people and then turned the gun on themselves. At this point, we do not know anything about the condition. Again, it appears a shooting inside Antioch High School in the Nashville area.
Speaker 1: They said one student shot to other students, turned the gun on himself. It happened in the schools cafeteria, so we'll stay on top of that. Again, they say the shooter is no longer a threat according.
Speaker 4: To the school district.
Speaker 2: Later, Okay, so.
Speaker 1: People enforcing immigration laws, they say, we'll be able to go to schools and churches.
Speaker 2: Will they be raiding schools and churches.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, they will not. But it is one of those.
Speaker 3: Policies that is going to draw the ire of people who want to use this as a scare.
Speaker 4: Monitoring this scare what.
Speaker 1: They're holding up, when what we should be holding up is the fact that criminal illegal immigrants have been shielded by former administrations and different sanctuary states and sanctuary cities for a very long time, and most of the people have had it. If you come into this country illegally and you raise a family, and you pay taxes and you do you live your life, that's one thing. You come in this country illegally, you start committing crimes, you raise your hands so we know who you are, and then the government she you from ice because feelings, Oh no, no, no. If we've got a way to get rid of criminals from our country that aren't supposed to be here to begin with, we should be using that system to get rid of them post taste, and that is what this is all about. Well, that's going to be the number one priority, Not going and finding children and getting rid of them and sending them across the border without their parents.
Speaker 2: That's all bologne.
Speaker 1: And it's a disservice to the public to publish articles like this and this be the headline.
Speaker 3: It also has for a long time set up a double standard. They're set up two worlds of law enforcement where if I am convicted of insert name of violent crime here, armed robbery, something like that, and I shoot somebody in the leg as I'm committing my violent crime. If I happen to have legal status in this country, I'm a citizen of the United States.
Speaker 4: They're not going to stop.
Speaker 2: No one's feel our ass.
Speaker 4: No, they're not going to stop looking for.
Speaker 1: But if you're here illegally, you actually get a leg up in our legal system under current sanctuary state city laws and former administration ways of thinking.
Speaker 3: Now, there's nowhere in your comments did you describe anybody's ethnicity or race or anything to qualify whether or not they should be looked after or looked for. It's just a matter of the crimes that they have chosen to commit, period, that's all.
Speaker 4: That's the only thing.
Speaker 3: The idea that twelve million people or eighteen million, whatever the number is, would be deported is ludicrous. It's absolutely crazy on its face. And even though the president can talk about that, he also said he was going to impose tariffs on day one, which he hasn't. That that's we know that he blusters. We know that he does this as a negotiation tactic in every aspect of his life.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 3: He's not going to be able to deport that many people. But Tom Holman, now the head of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, has already said we're going after the worst of the worst, which in and of itself is going to take years to get several hundred thousand people who have committed not just the crime of coming into the country illegally, but other crimes on top of it. It will take them years to go after and get those people. First, Did you want some I didn't pull up Fiddler on the Roof.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, we're going to talk about that coming up next, So you can pick up Sunrise Sunset.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, let's well, maybe I kind of like that one. It's better than if I were a rich man. Yeah, I Sunrise Sunset is definitely more in tune with the tone of the next story.
Speaker 4: We'll explain why you want me to get Sunrise sun.
Speaker 1: Is this sacrilegious bring Fiddler on the I don't know if I've seen Fiddler on the Roof. I feel like I saw it as youth, but I don't really remember. The overall takeaway is it who raises his daughters right and like sees them off to marriages things like that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a family, so it's a it's a husband and wife, right, who raised the daughters.
Speaker 4: And there's women in that.
Speaker 2: And it's funny, right, it's.
Speaker 5: It's funny, and it's uh, it's funny, it's sad, it's it's really good.
Speaker 2: Act it's sad. It does the dad die in the end? Is that why?
Speaker 6: H Wow?
Speaker 5: I don't remember what makes it sad that you remember just because of you know, what they go through. Their poor family's really poor.
Speaker 1: All kind of living in like a house. I remember they're being hey, yes, that's what I remember.
Speaker 4: I think I remember some.
Speaker 3: School shooting at Antioch High School in the suburbs there around Nashville. Two students shot by another student and then the shooter also had a self inflicted gunshot wound.
Speaker 4: So you have three women. We don't know the conditions.
Speaker 3: Police said that there is no there is no longer a threat in that school.
Speaker 4: But again, Antioch High.
Speaker 3: School in Nashville, Tennessee, and we'll keep an eye on that and see if there's any more information that comes out. Over the course of the next couple of hours. At least nine people have died across central and eastern US because of the incredibly crazy winter weather. There crash near Batesville Texas, for example, in the ice caused five fatalities all times snow records set in places like New Orleans, Mobile, Alabama, Pensacola, Florida. In fact, Louisiana had to shut down one hundred mile stretch of I ten because of because of the snow. Each Hero will be in the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The first Japanese born player elected to the Hall of Fame. He fell one vote, shy of a unanimous decision. Who's the one sports writer who didn't think that each hero should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame?
Speaker 4: Yak?
Speaker 2: Who is that person?
Speaker 3: They can remain anonymous, so we may never know they made it.
Speaker 2: Was he first ballot?
Speaker 4: Was he first ballot? I think he was.
Speaker 1: It's probably somebody who doesn't believe in first ballot people, You know how people are.
Speaker 3: Mariano Rivera was the only unanimous selection the relief pitcher, of course for the great Yankees, the great relief pitcher, I should say for the Yankees They're not great. And he's second only to Derek Jeter's ninety nine point seven eight as the highest plurality for a position player in Hall of Fame voting.
Speaker 2: The Raiders fans, I've got some news for you.
Speaker 1: Raiders expected to hire Buccaneers assistant GM John Spideck as their new GM. So there you go, a changing of the guard after Tom Telesco was let go. Hopefully there will be a rise from the ashes there in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: Phoenix, Phoenix.
Speaker 5: Girl.
Speaker 2: He was great, that actor.
Speaker 1: From what I remember as a youth watching this. I remember the hey and I remember he was a very good actor and the girls. Anyway, we have long since told you about the unfortunate fire toll that the Altadena fire had on homes and community centers, one of which was the Pasadena Jewish Temple and Center. This was a synagogue that was really a tenant of that community there. And there was one one wall that still stood from the banquet hall after the fire roared through and once the dust was cleared I guess, or not cleared, but you know what I mean, there was a discovery that people close to the Pasadena Jewish Temple and Center recognized on that one wall still standing, it was a mural.
Speaker 2: It was hidden for decades.
Speaker 1: This wall was by a brick wall, and on this mural what was depicted was Semitic men and women walking the desert with animals, some playing instruments. In the center, this is where you get chills, was a lone palm tree, which of course is a symbol of triumph in the Bible. It shone bright in the sun. They said, Now word starts to spread about the mural and the discovery there at the temple, and some members thought, how perfect, how pert this is obviously portraying the Jews forty years of wandering through the desert as their test to the faith in God.
Speaker 3: Now, the history in a place like this, I mean, southern California's history doesn't go back that far, and it's rare to find something that goes back eighty or one hundred years. But in this case, they said, this synagogue has served that area for more than one hundred years and moved to that location in Altadena in nineteen forty one, so eighty years ago, and it took over a former warehouse space. A long time member of the synagogue, Christine Garaway, has a background in archaeology and said that the mural could date back to the twenties and may have actually been transferred to the wall via tapestry, So they don't know exactly where it came from, and at this point they don't know anybody who knows of the history. They're just kind of spitballing at this point. And she said, how in the world could this have survived? It is a scene that is so hopeful and so joyful in the middle of all of these ashes, in the middle of all of the destruction around Altadina.
Speaker 4: She happens to be a professor of Hebrew history.
Speaker 3: Others say that the depictions are supposed to evoke a biblical scene, like the Exodus from Egypt, but they're not quite sure exactly which story in the Bible, if that's in fact what it was, the what was the genesis of it? Pardon the pun. They don't know exactly what it is displaying. The Pasadena Temple was her second home, she said, since she moved to the area from the East Coast in twenty eleven. And Christine has said that her older sons were some of the last members in the space, playing basketball there Monday night before the fire erupted on Tuesday, and her youngest son was supposed to have his bar Mitzvah celebration there later this year.
Speaker 4: So very cool.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a cool thing and in you know, it doesn't it doesn't replace the synagogue, it doesn't replace the building it's elf.
Speaker 2: But what a morale booster. And I hope the free building.
Speaker 1: It's just the meaning of everything and how it's so much bigger than a generational fire. All right, speaking of fire, we're gonna get some rain. Rain everybody is when water falls from the sky. It happens in other places, hasn't happened here for what nine months? Basically, our rain is basically going to be a baby. Well, we put it in the oven nine months ago and now it's headed out.
Speaker 4: Premature baby. It's gonna be pretty small.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a little baby, a little tiny baby.
Speaker 4: But it's a baby.
Speaker 2: It is a baby. It's not gonna be a twelve pounder, more like a six pounder.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about the rain that's coming in.
Speaker 3: And a couple supervisors calling for an investigation into the emergency alert system.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: Saw Saturday Night Live, even they made fun of the fact that we can't get our emergency alerts correct in La County.
Speaker 1: People dealing with the aftermath of this one, people who are not used to dealing with this kind of weather. They say that the precipitation, the freezing temperatures, it's all new. Louisiana saw its first ever blizzard warning yesterday. Houston's two major airports closed for the day. Seven weather related deaths reported in Texas, five people killed in a car crash caused by icy conditions.
Speaker 3: There is an active investigation going on at Antioch High School in the suburbs of Nashville, southwest sorry southeast of downtown. Nashville Police actively investigating a shooting there. They said two students were shot by someone in the cafeteria and then the shooter turned the gun on himself and as of the latest report from Nashville television stations, they said that all three were wounded, but they haven't said how serious their condition is. About two thousand students at Antioch High School at the time, and again Metro Nashville Police Department said that just those three, the two who were shot and then the shooter turned the gun on himself, were the three wounded.
Speaker 1: An important k for law enforcement before the Supreme Corps. They heard arguments today in this case that could have a big impact on police immunity. This involves a deadly shooting happened ten years ago out of Toll Road in Houston. The officer pulled over a car for toll violations. The driver tried to speed away. Officer fires two shots, kills the guy. Victim's family sues. If it's upheld by the High Court, this could mean more excessive force lawsuits against law enforcement.
Speaker 4: As we saw.
Speaker 3: The unfortunate toll from the Eton fire in the last couple of weeks has been hard to swallow, named for the canyon near it where it started. Started about six o'clock January seventh, the first evacuation warnings went into place for the east side of Lake Avenue. Within two hours, the hurricane force wind gusts that we saw spread that fire very quickly from the mountain side to the neighborhoods down below. In fact, some of the people said that the fire was reading east and west simultaneously. And although the east side of Altadena did get some of those evacuation warnings quickly, the history of alerts that you can see from the Alert and Response Network appears to show that an evacuation warning was never issued for the neighborhoods west of Lake Avenue. Those areas got the first alert at about three point thirty in the morning, and the east side of Lake they got pretty timely orders. The west side of Lake didn't get any orders. That is according to Connor Sepola, an Altadena town council member. Now they according to CNN, this is a race issue in Altadena. Lake Avenue had a history as a de facto dividing line between east and west, wealthy and working class, and before the practice of redlining was ended, black residents in Altadena were segregated and lived on the west and were prevented from buying home on the east side of Lake Avenue. And all seventeen deaths in that area occurred west of Lake Avenue. And he said, I can't believe there isn't any correlation here. And again that's Connor Sappola, a town council member for Altadena. Some Reddit users shared stories of evacuating during the eat and fire. One of them said they woke up with bad vibes at three thirty in the morning and get their family to leave their home. What that area didn't receive an evacuation order until a couple of hours later, almost five point forty five in the morning, and I'm not quite sure what the allegation is. Is the allegation that the county knew of the history of Lake Avenue and its dividing line where residents west of Lake Avenue had a higher black population and residents east did not, and therefore they were going to delay on.
Speaker 4: Purpose the evacuation orders.
Speaker 3: Or is there some other screw up in the system, because, by the way, there were plenty of screw ups in the system. I mentioned this earlier, but there was a skit that was done on Saturday Night Live about a family that was ordered evacuate it and Dad has all these secrets. Dad played by Dave Chappelle, has all of these secrets. See he's unveiling to the family. And part of the punchline was, oh, the evacuation warning was a false alert and we didn't actually have to get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I yes, there needs to be an investigation.
Speaker 3: Why was there a delayed evacuation alert on one side of the road versus the other? But is it as simple as saying that it's a race based evacuation warning system.
Speaker 1: It's hard, No, And it's hard with this one because in the Palisades and Altadena people didn't have time for their warnings. They didn't have time to get the evacuation warning. I mean the people that we talked to specifically in Altadina said, looked outside, there was fire. We had to get the hell out of there. No one's waiting for I mean, I don't know a lot of people who are waiting for the evacuation warning. Well, any when it came to how quickly these ones moved and.
Speaker 3: Then there are people who got them and ignored them anyway, because they wanted to save their home or do they didn't think it was possible that a fire would behave that way. As we mentioned, there is some good news. Coastal areas have the potential to pick up a quarter to a half an inch of rain this weekend. Some of the foothills lower mountain sides could pick up an inch to an inch and a half. Snow levels on Saturday going to dip between four thousand and five thousand feet, so there's an expectation you're going to see some slippery conditions over the Tahone Pass, especially from Saturday night into Sunday. Any rainfall that would dampen the brush in the region is incredible. It's a godsend for the first time in several months for here in southern California. So again, that's probably Saturday into Sunday that we would see some rain.
Speaker 1: Gary and Shannon much more ahead. We've got playing favorites between your chi. We've got your favorite hot sauce. The results have been staggering.
Speaker 6: Really, hey guys, regarding the hot sauce thing, I just don't get it. Why do you want to burn your mouth when you eat stuff? Just don't ketchup is about as hot as my sauce gets.
Speaker 4: Well a problem.
Speaker 2: That is a safe way to go through life, sir.
Speaker 4: Good for you, soft mouth, good for you.
Speaker 3: If you've missed any part of our show, you can always go back and listen to the podcast. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Garyanshannon, or anywhere you find podcasts. Just search for Gary and Shannon hit that subscribe button. You can also share it with other people that you think would be annoyed by what we say right here on.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday. Through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.