Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five fifty three of five and five. It is Thursday, June eleventh. I am your host, Craig Folkstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffrey Patron Nostro. It is June eleventh, which means it's the start of the World Cup. We've just found out Patrick has no plans to partake. Jeffrey I subside. I have plans to partake. Just I chan's my will through my social media bids.
Speaker 2: I take the kid to McDonald's on Tuesday because or not time to do anything else between when her camp ended and when her dance class began, and they are offering a special world they do that. They have commemorative cups, so I was a sucker and got the commemorative cup meal. So I am drinking my ice coffee, my cold crew out of my Alphonse Davis cup. Yeah sure, I more water cups whatever?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Are are you? Are you planning your life around the obviously.
Speaker 2: So yes, I did so. Last time I did this, I had a two year old. Now I have a six year old. In the summer. It does make things more difficult too, I actually because it's in the US, Mexico and Canada. It's actually like at mostly normal times, which is also like more difficult, which is worse.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think we brought that up last last pot briefly, but yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Is now being on the being this time zone as in this time zone for the last one who's in the button the winner. But does help with some of it, like I can do like when they're on the West Coast, like the game started like seven or eight here, and she's usually in the process of going to bed or in bed. It's a very long process sometimes, but so I can sit down and watch, like it won't be I will not be able to watch like every game. But also I'm forty four years old, like there's only so much you can do. And also, you know, the vibes of it completely suck.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know that. Yeah, I mean, look, I don't want to come off as defending one way or the other. Yeah, but the vibes of the Cutter World Cup were not exactly sure.
Speaker 2: And like once the games start and you get into it, like one of the uh breweries here is showing all the games. I'll probably go there for a game or two, like it'll be fine.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the vibes are off everywhere, right sports?
Speaker 1: Well, so I yeah, I would. I would recommend people Brian.
Speaker 2: Madison, Square Garden. They're fine there. They were off for a game, they were half a game then, yeah exactly, well yeah, yeah, I will say that like Boutang doing the halftime that is coming back. Yeah, a ViBe's stage vibe shift. Yeah yeah, they burned some stage in the arena. Maybe some other things in the arena.
Speaker 3: The stage covered some of those up.
Speaker 1: I would I would recommend anyone, uh maybe even Patrick who doesn't care about this at all, read Brian Phillips Ringer article. It's true they do still run articles over at the Ringer. Yes, Brian Phillips is I don't know who I would love to write like if I could when when I grow up. Just an incredible, incredible writer and had a really good article that encompasses a lot of the the vibe stuff. And however eating is bad, but also the World Cup can still be good but maybe and how it's complicated. Yeah, it's definitely.
Speaker 3: Worth a read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't have anything else banter wise, I don't know, mean last spot in this one.
Speaker 3: I don't watched a movie gradually I watched Before Sunrise. Mostly what I think is that there ought to be like there, we need more. One of the things that has sadly gone from this generation that we had, although we didn't have properly, was the idea of.
Speaker 1: The the uh what do.
Speaker 4: You call them?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Public service announcements?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We need we need better public serve it's announcements for the for the decentralized internet age. We need wikipedias that are about things that we just go, hey, man, at some point you should just kind of spend an hour and look all this stuff up, right, And and one of those things is they should have a guide to when to consume media, be like, hey, if you want to enjoy this thing, this is the target age range.
Speaker 2: You should probably be sharing for it, right.
Speaker 3: Because having seen Dead Poets Society recently and being like, oh yeah, I whiffed on that one, Like you need to be an exactly school, a English class, yes exactly.
Speaker 1: Even then it's you know, questionable. But but like Before Sunrise is a movie you need to see at.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty three, three after.
Speaker 3: You have broken up with your first significant girlfriend, college girlfriend, and boyfriend and then had had enough time to recover from that before you start the night. Like there's a very specific window when to watch this film, and I did not. I missed it by about half of my life. So I watched a film that I politely said, Okay, have you.
Speaker 2: Watch five hundred Days of Summer yet? Patrick?
Speaker 1: I have not watched the Summer I don't think I want to get out of that one. Ye.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's these things where like it's fine that the movies exist, and if I you know, I have nothing answer them because I'm the one who failed it. I didn't show up. There was there was an exist.
Speaker 2: Just watched the third one that's probably more targeted to your age group.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it probably is. You know, I have to study up after watched the second one first, I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To maybe now you watch.
Speaker 1: I think for some people it accesses these times of their lives and allows them to I don't want to say it transports them necessarily, right, Yeah, I know. I don't know if I connect personally to riding the rails in Europe, you know, no. But but you're saying, like there's this very specific time and age that this makes sense or certain movies makes sense. But like I think some people have the capacity potentially two to say like, oh, look, that's not me now, but I remember, like it it is. Yeah it was not me then, OK. But if it wasn't you then then I don't know that watching it then would have helped you.
Speaker 3: Well maybe maybe if I'd watched it before it was me, then I could have been there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking more from an educational standpoint and being like, hey, be on the lookout for situations I.
Speaker 1: Can watch any time. Yeah, okay, Like kind of.
Speaker 2: Like one of my favorite bands is Los Campusinos, and I've always felt like they're like five years younger than me, and I've always felt like their music was like five years I've always enjoyed it. But I'm like, I like, I I connect, Like I'm just like a little bit. There's a line on the on the last album that no children, it in no profession, walking dead at thirty seven, Like that's kind of how I fholed at thirty seven, but now, like you not now not now I'm forty two and like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, shall we get into the show. We can get in the show. Let's get into the show. Our first segment, don't call it a comeback. We had a few that a few in the last few days. Uh, yesterday, I get well, yeah, two of them yesterday won the day before, right, so yesterday we'll start in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was in San Francisco. Yeah it was yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Nationals were up nine to one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There's a lot of I don't know about a lot of scuttle butt in the group chat, but like, oh, the Nationals, Like, man, the Nationals going to Nationally is gonna make the playoffs. Nationals are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had, I had We're not We're not going to do this on this podcast. But I had suggested to Patrick last night that a potential topic was like when do you when when do you start to believe? Yeah, in in a few teams, I had listed U Saint Louis, I listed the White Sox who were going to.
Speaker 2: I believe more in the White Sox give them the division they're.
Speaker 1: In, right, the White Sox are in first place.
Speaker 2: And they are in that in that division.
Speaker 1: Yes, uh, and the Nationals were one of them. I think you can extend it. You could talk about the Pirates, which we'll talk about. The Nationals are thirty five and thirty four even with this low so they were up nine to one. They lost eleven to ten. Yeah, I like this game on.
Speaker 2: That does kind of clue you into the issues with the Nashvills.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had this game on. I went to do bedtime. Yeah. I came back downstairs because I had just left the TV on and it was literally the game had just ended and it was eleven to ten, and I said, I literally just said out loud, what the.
Speaker 2: Fuck happened my bedtime? Uh here started right around halftime of the nixt game, and it was yeah, and then I checked, Well, like what I did is I went to I don't know if I went to the FRALI your kids discorded the other disc, but I would know I went to the frall your kids discord. People are like freaking out, like are they going to do it? I'm like, they can't. This is having me several times has me in the Cavs game, I would also say this, I'm like, do I have to go to ESPN and check.
Speaker 1: I had turned it off? Yea, we we it had. It was a twenty seven point.
Speaker 2: You know, it's fine. They were playing like absolute dog shit like there.
Speaker 1: And I was like, I'm not gonna make my wife watch it. I mean, she'll watch basketball, she likes basketball. But like I was like, I'm not, like I don't need to spend the time. Like I basically wasn't watching.
Speaker 3: I was looking for somebody murder right now.
Speaker 1: And that is that is what we did. I was gonna say this. Let me put in a plug for Death Valley on brick Box. Uh. It takes place in Wales. It's a delightful It is a ah a procep D mystery show that is also a comedy and it's very good. It hits both notes very well.
Speaker 2: I feel like most of the Welsh mystery procedures so usually just like super dark. So that might be a nice change of face.
Speaker 1: No, it's nice. It's very it's like you know, it's it's very well done.
Speaker 2: Like the one that I watched was like Hinterland, which is like super.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm not I'm not watched.
Speaker 2: It's really good, but it has as a Nordic noir kind of feel to it.
Speaker 1: We just finished Vera, which is also intensely dark in almost every episode, but very good. So so that's good to know. I will also tell you like part of my w t F at this game was at this being the Nationals Giants game, to be clear, Uh was it was too nothing when I left, it was not nine to one when I so, then it was eleven ten, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, it could have gone a lot of different ways.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an entire game happened. Well, I was gone, Uh and it all happened in the sixth.
Speaker 3: In in or later, just for one day. Baseball should just have all fifteen games playing Vegas without just not tell anybody.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I was shocked when they were playing these games in Vegas.
Speaker 2: That was the score of the I wasn't watching it. It's you know, it's Athletic Explorers.
Speaker 1: But Harrison game was it? Was it that one?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm?
Speaker 1: Was it the Kyle Harrison start where you have eight runs and two winnings.
Speaker 2: Or whatever Kyle Harrison I went to extra? Yeah, that one. I'm like, but that could just happen in my Sacramento Like it's not like it's it's still a little unusual, but like, yeah, then Vegas date, in my eye, we're gonna get We're gonna gonna get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get to Vegas. This so this game so what do you do with you said you had the group chat people talking like what do you do with the Nationals? The Nationals continue to score runs.
Speaker 2: And let the if so, I do want to be clear about this, right, Like James Wood and c. J. Abrams have been very good this year.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I actually like they will probably both make the Elstar Game, right like they've been they should. They are probably two of the top I don't know, I haven't looked it up recently. Twenty hitters in baseball.
Speaker 1: Right, that's that's really the extent of.
Speaker 2: You're the ops is in the lineup yesterday? Yeah, five sixty five five two right, five sixteen, six thirty six, seven eighty five. Curtis Meat has been very good, but he obviously only plays against lefties.
Speaker 1: Curtis Meat has been very good. And that last one you said, look.
Speaker 2: I'm not Yeah, the last one is Kybert Ruiz.
Speaker 1: Is Kybert Ruiz, who has a seven eighty five ops as a catcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very good.
Speaker 1: Because he's as a one nineteen ops plus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they are like Dylan Cruise has not been good, Like they don't really have a first baseman. Not seeing Nunia as is starting and he's a very good defensive shortstop, maybe the best.
Speaker 1: He's starting at second mostly.
Speaker 2: Because Abrams, but he's a very like he might be the best defensive second basement. He probably is tim or Terrang right, like, but yeah, well yeah cool, yeah sure, but he is unlike Bryce Terrang and co. He has a five sixteen ops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he can't. He can't hit at all, Like you can't.
Speaker 2: You can't do Davey CONCEPTI in twenty twenty six. Generally you can't do David second National.
Speaker 1: Well theoretically the Nationals can. But I guess the question.
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, And I mean.
Speaker 1: Look, daylan Lyle has a seven fifty ops because he's.
Speaker 2: A left fielder, right, that's like fine, that's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's fine. I mean Louis had had a bad start to the years up to a seven fifty ops.
Speaker 2: He's also firs second basement in base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is basically their first basement, which so that's just okay, I don't I guess it's clustering mostly it is, right like the way they do run, Like they can run.
Speaker 2: They can all run, right, they can all take the extra base, they can all be kind of annoying.
Speaker 1: On the baby. Jacob Young did not play in this game, so we're we're not talking about him. But he's been okay. Look, their defense is they have guys who excel. Right, Abrams is not that great lyle is not a good corner outfielder. What is generally not a good corner outfielder, right, Meat is not really good and they platune me. They've been playing Jose ten I think I think who has been okay again this year? He kind of goes between okay.
Speaker 2: Like if you told me this was an above a defense he's signed, but like not touring the most runs in baseball, right, But I mean the other thing with this team looking for it, like there there are so many black holes, especially the more on the pitching side than the hitting side, that if they can just like fill those spots with you know, for legitimate force starters.
Speaker 1: So it's a lot of relievers. Here's here's the I'm not going to tell you, I think this is real. Yeah, but Zach Lttel since the start of May has gone six and one with a two two seven the.
Speaker 2: R just in time to trade him to the race of the deadline.
Speaker 1: Sure, but it's a two two seven the RA and a three four seven fifth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Foster Griffin has been a nice fine for them, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Griffin has been solid as as you would have hoped for, right Yeah, And and kid Cavali has been okay, yeah, right, Like it's it's very hit or miss, but on average a three eight eight e RA on the season, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, they don't and they don't really have the thing about this nationals team And when Tiboni took over is like they had fired most of the bullets from the rebuild already, because the rebuild has been going on for half a decade, right, and like doesn't look like Brady House is really a major league starter. Dylan Cruz, God knows what's going on there, Harlan SuSanA's hurt. Like, look, Abrams, They're gonna make a decision on Abrams in the next year.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Like now he looks like he could be a centerpiece of the next good national team you have to pay.
Speaker 1: The next national team looks a lot closer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're gonna have to pay him like that same with would I mean these guys are going to get nine figure contracts and the learners have been willing to give those out in the past, but they have not in the last decade.
Speaker 3: Essentially, they have to decide are they ready yes for this team to be good? Right, That's ultimately what this comes down to. They've been enjoying the fruits of their lack of labor for a while.
Speaker 2: Now they look like they had a failed rebuilding. Have to do it again, and now it's kind of like, okay, well and they look they played them Kenzie Gore right, like, yeah, yeah, who would make that rotation? And not that he's been great in Texas, but if they had another just like Garter, yeah, like they would.
Speaker 1: Be Yeah they are. I mean they did just bump one of the pieces of that trade up to double A in Devin Fitzgerald.
Speaker 2: Yep, and look that Gerald on the mid season fifty long list. I know he's gonna make it. But he's been one of the breakout guys, very.
Speaker 1: Good at very Wilmington, which is a very hard place to hit. And what they just promoted will It's to.
Speaker 2: Willis had a multi homer game too, or to he's in Wilmington now, yeah, he just got to and like he's like, yeah, but will its Is eighteen, right, and he's only twenty twenty eight realistically as fast as he's moving now.
Speaker 3: So he's the thing with the Nationals, where would you guys guess the rotation ranks in the area minus so among the thirty teams? Where would you put the Nationals rotation given before the season they.
Speaker 1: Start off station? I think think, I mean, like, I know Miles Michaelis, Michaelis, Yeah, I mean, I feel like you're setting me up for it's going to be better than it is. But but I'm gonna be honest in what I would have thought, which would be like twenty six, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I figured you guys would guess my game and go twenty third. It's eighteenth, Like it's even higher up than that.
Speaker 1: And it's weird.
Speaker 3: Because like this is almost an article, but i'd have to be an article. I'd have to understand or right, And I'm not sure I understand it because it's actually the terrible guys who are outperforming their peripherals. It's Michael's. Michaelis has a one oh five ramitis, which is not good, but it's not five point nine ers.
Speaker 1: Also, he's he's appeared in more games in relief than as a starter at this point, which.
Speaker 2: Yes, and now you think as a bulk guy.
Speaker 3: Now, Mitchell Parker, after being kind of the worst pitcher in baseball last year, is back to around average, even though.
Speaker 1: Amer he is a five that I'm on e ra Peri exactly, Michael.
Speaker 3: Right, and they're both they've both been terrible, but like peripherally and they have identical whips. I love this one point three four four. Yeah, but they're not walking guys, and they're they're giving up all home runs. Like I'm wondering if those home runs are cheap, And that's the.
Speaker 2: Problem because I don't think any horn gives that purchase.
Speaker 1: You would think.
Speaker 3: But Parker's got like a three and a half strikeout to walk ratio that would do the job if you weren't giving.
Speaker 1: Up the home runs.
Speaker 3: He's also they're both giving up almost ten hits.
Speaker 2: For nine, you know, Brad Lord for like a three and a half win season. I almost trying to like do a Brad Lord for the All Star Game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who And also they like again you know, seven and seven point three strikeouts for nine, two point five walks for nine, Like it's not it's not good it's not interesting.
Speaker 2: It's not interesting, but it's working the meat and Eduardo Rodriguez season.
Speaker 1: So yeah, this game, okay, well so this game, I mean they got good Foster Griffin. You got six innings of one wrung ball from Foster Griffin, and then then the bullpen came in. I mean, so this is one part that we haven't that you mentioned, Brad Lord, but like Paxton, Paxton, Schultz came in missing the most bats in this bullpen basically at just under ten strikeouts per nine and absolutely implodes five runs in an inning or the handover Balta has been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he gives up five runs. They still have a significant lead.
Speaker 1: They still have a significant lead. Gus Varland comes in and gets nothing done, and then Mitchell Parker came in, comes in and also gets something, and he gives up a grand slam, a walk off grand slam to Bryce Eldridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bryce Eli, they should play Bryce Eldridge.
Speaker 1: Moore is up to an i know, six ops after this game. Matt Chapman four for five, up to a seven fifty.
Speaker 2: Or four hundred. Yet, because that's a.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I mean that the Giants offense. The Giants offense has not been bad.
Speaker 1: He's four o nine.
Speaker 2: There you go, like Arias has been good.
Speaker 1: Eight hundred ops, Casey Schmidt has an eight twenty. Yeah, Junghan Lee has been absolutely on fire in like three he is He's hitting three thirty eight and it's been like five hundred over his last However, many like it's been a a higher number of games than you think when you see someone hitting five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, obviously a Doamin's endeavors still haven't been good on the face of it, and Rias is a free agent. Like I don't know what exactly the Giants are going to do, and like they they've done this and there's still like fifteen hundred, right.
Speaker 1: The Giants started Victor Barracodo in left field and Jonah Cox in center ye in this game.
Speaker 2: Those are both baseball players.
Speaker 1: I'm really ultimately don't know. I texted someone and I said, who is playing center field for the Giants? I don't know who that is. I saw the last name and I said, I don't know. I don't know who that would be. And like I'm not trying to be a dick, but I generally have like I'm like, oh, okay, like this guy, right, like the guy.
Speaker 3: The Ross Stripling trade, you know it was he yes, yeah, okay, came over from the Ross Stripling Jonah Cox not toomiliar familiar with his work. That was being I'm not.
Speaker 1: Trying to be like Charles Barkley in regards to Christian Wood or Shack. Sorry, Shack, I'm not familiar. I wasn't familiar with your game.
Speaker 2: Charles Barkley had some different things to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Giants are shockingly Nationals, Like, like, the Giants are essentially what we thought the Nationals would be, except they tried really hard. The Nationals have not been trying very hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of right around five hundred, right, like Giants are always right around five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeahs became every other Giants team, and the Giants have suddenly become.
Speaker 2: Every which is probably a large part of this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, like Landed Groupe has been also as a four r A, but it's also been like their second best picture. And then I'm not actually entirely sure who's the rest of their rotation right now?
Speaker 3: Well, you know.
Speaker 1: The Giants, Robby Ray is not going Ray. Yeah, Robby Ray started this game. Adrian Hauser is.
Speaker 2: Is Oh yeah, Adrian, how'd they signed? They give him a multi year deal, didn't they?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: They?
Speaker 3: And then Tyler mully is injured. McDonald's actually been okay.
Speaker 1: E a is over four but like the you.
Speaker 2: Know, stretch game other than right, elders should play more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's been on a he's been on a hot streak along with with Lee and the Giants. This wind pulls the Giants up to thirteen games under five hundred.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Pirates had a comeback of their own. Ye. They were down six to two, they were up to nothing, they were down six to two. Shotani on the mound and they this this is a team that I I do believe can hit. Yep. Well, I don't buy the lineup like a ton, but this is a team that they can score enough runs?
Speaker 3: Right but not Nationals good could use those phrases when you can.
Speaker 1: Otani went six and two thirds, allowed four runs, three earned. This This one was on Kyle Hurt. Yes, Kyle Hurt gave up a run in his debut, then didn't give up a run for an extended period of time, and has now given up a lot of runs, A lot of runs, not just this his last downing and I think the one before that as well. Uh. And so that the Pirates put up eight runs across the seventh and eighth innings, and of course the h they gave up. Otani gave up a home run to Tyler Callahan, and then Kyle Hurt gave up a home run to No. Sorry, Jack Dryer came in and gave up a home run to Tyler Callahan, and of course then Otani hit a home run in the top of the ninth would have either pulled the g or I guess it would have put them ahead because Callahan's home run second homer was a two runner and it wasn't enough. Is another team with a bullpen that is highly questionable. And I'm talking about the Pirates, by the way. The Dodgers have their own issues, but bullpen's been okay for most of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's one of those games where I'm sure, like I I saw it was six to two and then I saw they lost later. Oh that's weird. Yeah, But like it's also it doesn't really matter to the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: It doesn't And I think the weirdest part of it is just like Kyle hurt. They left him out there for way longer than I would have thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the state of the Dodgers is like you look at that box score and you go, oh, I hope, I hope.
Speaker 1: Show didn't give to any of these runs. Yeah, oh thank god.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, season too.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was not great. His era is now over one ye on the season Otani, but the yeah, I mean look they also look Brian Reynolds robbed Otani of a home run earlier in this game. Uh, you go down this lineup as you did with the National Jeffrey, It's it's more legitimate, right at least in terms of the OPSS. Horowitz eight sixty one, Loo eight forty eight and not not out for several out he discovered us.
Speaker 2: First reported and then corrected by five.
Speaker 1: And divesas Reynolds o'hearne eight twenty Yeah, Tyler Callahan fifteen to twenty nine.
Speaker 2: I say, there's your story. It is like kind of a lesser version of the Cubs line up, really, where there's just a lot of like there's no guy carrying it and also there's shirt triolo. But it's like, yeah, a lot of like twenty to thirty percent better than the gaverage hitters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and unfortunately O'Neil Cruz is on the il ye with non fractions in.
Speaker 2: His I mean, like if he I don't know what's going on with Griffin obviously, but you know, if if they get Griffin and Cruise back before the deadline, I think they can still make a little run here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again like and maybe Griffin can be that guy who can carry them, yeah or whatever, but that's also a lot to ask of a a rookie shortstop. This is I also don't I think Ryan I'm not surprised by Ryan Hurd. I think Brian Reynolds can do this. I know he's been pretty bad. This feels a little heavy for Spencer Horwitz, who I like, but probably a little bit over Blarns. But you can't like poke too many holes. You know, Brendan Low can do this, right, Like you're saying, you're you're talking about five six bats out of the lineup. You know, it's not good that they have to play Jake Maydingham. Yeah, no, it's not right now or Jared Triolo, as you said.
Speaker 2: They just call up to replace who's I saw the name and I'm just like, oh, I did not know.
Speaker 1: Oh what was it? It was.
Speaker 3: A name you've seen before. Let's see, I saw it too. So it's their cook? Is it Billy Cook?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: It's Billy Cook?
Speaker 1: Ye? Yes, I didn't know he was specifically.
Speaker 2: And again, like obviously they have better starting pitching than that. The bullpen is like they both feel like they should be better than this and worse than this. So I'm not sure they might just be this.
Speaker 1: There are teams. This is a playoff team. Yeah, when you say they might just be that, well, they're a half came out right now, but like they are right there.
Speaker 2: Right, I just don't I don't know. I don't know if they have the god they just say again they're not gonna do what they need, Like the Cubs are going to acquire people at the deadline, the Padres are going to acquire people with the dead, like that's what they do.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's the question.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, like.
Speaker 1: The the thing they need to fix is is arguably the easiest thing to fix. It's the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is this again, like Sodo came in and almost blew this game that they had just you know, reclaimed.
Speaker 2: And Santana has lost the job.
Speaker 1: Basically they lost the keen. The scheme start versus the Dodgers Skins was great, it was it was an even game, and then the bullpen came in and allowed ten runs in an inny, Right. I mean, this is something you know they really like. Thus far, they've had Evan Sisk and that's about it. Gregory Soto has been okay, but they should be able to fix that. But the other part, I mean, to your point, Chef, like do they have the pieces to move even to get and what I say impact bullpen guys, I don't even mean the top guy on the market. I'm talking about like can they get can they pull? It didn't work for for Scott Harris last year, but like, can they go get three to five guys?
Speaker 2: I think so, yeah, Okay, it.
Speaker 3: Kind of worked from they got Kyle Finnegan out of it, right, But.
Speaker 1: You don't have to know what I'm saying. It didn't really stop there.
Speaker 3: Somewhere.
Speaker 1: It didn't stem the bleeding. That's all what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean, you gotta make sure you don't play the worst one of the five. You know, you got to figure out who that fifth one is real quick.
Speaker 1: And Lastly, the White Sox had to come back. Braden Montgomery called up. Jeff got the call up out. We got it before the game.
Speaker 2: He played pretty well to the scouting report too. Strikeouts in a home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he had a he had a walk off home run on on eighties night. Yes, so it was just a very bizarre.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed that very much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but it was like, you know, one of the more modern type prospects. I feel like in a lot of ways getting his walk off moment and they're doing like the very yellow big Funah exactly. And I mean as a name, first of all, his name is Braiden and your eighties graphics and his name's Braiden. Billy Cook.
Speaker 3: Billy Cook was there, Billy Cook?
Speaker 1: Okay, ah, but no he, I mean he he had the walk off obviously, but he played playball throughout the game, right, he had impacted two for five.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What do we do with the White Sox.
Speaker 2: I don't know yet. I it's funny, because yeah.
Speaker 1: They are they're not only at the time we mentioned the top of the division. They're thirty six and thirty one. That's not even that's not even that bad yet, right, this isn't even a five hundred record.
Speaker 2: They're like they their lineup, they have like I feel like we're only a few years removed from like on base percentage being too woke for this organization, but like they've actually, like you know, they have with Antonaci and madrav playing pretty well, Like you have guys on base for when they're two thirty hitters hit a home run, right, so they're hitting through your homer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's it's Antonachi's almost at three ninety. Yeah, obp wise, he's been hit by fifteen pitches whatever worse, and he came up. He wasn't even up at the start of the year, right, Yeah, major league leading in fifteen hit by pitches. Miguel Vargas is just shy of three seventy. Yeah, Chase Majroth is at three forty three, and I know he's on the IL. But Munataka Murakami's at just shy of three to eighty. Yeah. That's a lot of guys, you know, And honestly, look, I don't I'm not expecting this to hold, but Tristan Peters is at three pis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not checked out the hold either, But yeah, this is like a very nineteen ninety eight offense, right, Like it's uh walks in Homer's the right ballpark to do that.
Speaker 1: And so the thing is like if you're hitting Colson Montgomery fourth or fifth, yeah, and some of these guys are on when he gets one, it's it's multiple runs, right.
Speaker 2: I mean that is.
Speaker 1: It makes sense in a way. It might not keep happening, but it makes sense, right.
Speaker 2: I mean there is like a risk that like if these if you're if Colton Montgomery, Murcami and Vargas backslide at all on contact all of a sudden, there.
Speaker 1: Sure this is good slot Yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Also like can they do it again next year?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like are you kind of like do you have to push a little a little more than maybe they're comfortable doing.
Speaker 3: Well, especially with the pitching, Like I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't think they have enough pitching.
Speaker 3: I don't. Having Shane Smith do what happened to Shane Smith makes me feel very nervous about Davis Martin, who was a different person. Yeah, but Shane Smith, like Shane Smith, like we it's like nearing Steve blast territory. Like I don't know if he was walking more than a veteran inning in the majors and then is walking more than five like a career high in the miners too. They really need Shane Smith this year, man.
Speaker 2: I mean, unlike the other two teams we talked about, they've like they've had a really good bullpen. Yeah, I mean I would have been Sean Dukham, Grant Taylor and Brian Hudson. So how much you believe in that?
Speaker 1: Before before we fully leave the lineup, I would note Jacob Gonzales, who yes, again nobody really understands in his in his thirty one played appearances thus far threeh eight four nineteen twenty three. Yeah, the lineup just.
Speaker 2: Ye strike of them, which I do believe, but.
Speaker 1: Sure, but again I guess I'm just saying. Also, by the way, they're just eating a dead spot at catcher basically.
Speaker 2: Yes, and whenever wherever they're playing Andrew benintending.
Speaker 1: Right DH, I think mostly Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I think he's back on the outfield a little bit now, but yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like there are areas to improve, and like the lineup again, you don't have to believe it continues, but it's kind of earned what it's done. Sure, right, anyway you can one of the white sex thing Kyle Teelbeck, who knows well he got hurt on his rehab. Yeah, okay, so it's what I think it's. It's extended out another four to six weeks, I want to say, from from when it happened. Yeah. Then no, this bullpen has been at least the top four have been very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And like you can say, I don't know. I mean, I believe Grant Taylor is legit as a reliever. Brian Hudson has done this before.
Speaker 2: He's done this before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Sean Newcomb.
Speaker 2: We have d R a superstard superstar is D minus right now back, we have.
Speaker 1: To look him up.
Speaker 3: I think he's the only person in the bullpen that they actually believes it.
Speaker 2: DRA does like Sean Newcomb, I mean.
Speaker 1: And also, by the way, I no White Sox sayn't want to hear this because I know he's been Yeah, Sir, Anthony Domingas has been outside of giving up two homers per nine has been Okay, Now, that's a huge problem.
Speaker 2: The Jeff Hoffman games he has Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I guess it is like that, but you do end up winning enough with that type of guy, it's not necessarily someone you want if you're in the playoffs? Do you so? I guess again this goes to do you do you? When? Do you buy any of these things?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the Ales Central, But like, I think the Guardians are better. Oh, I know the Guardians. They did happen to justify the Yankees and get swept, which is driving.
Speaker 1: Or worse than the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the Guardians are better. Now do I think there are six teams in the American League better than the White Sox right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, maybe you gotta start like Toronto Toronto the Rangers, like maybe, but they're also not an insignificant amount behind. You know, seventy games into the season.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 1: That the Rangers are currently in possession of the third while Card ye a game under five hundred.
Speaker 3: Yes, Shawn Newcomes di A minus is seventy eight as opposed to twenty twenty five DRA which was seventy eight. He's a rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yeah, I don't know. And I go back to like, do the White Sox want to be good this year?
Speaker 2: Like I think they do? Is the thing like they've always kind of had, even when they were losing one hundred and twenty games, kind of like outside beliefs.
Speaker 1: In I know the Pirates want to be good this year. Sure, do the Nationals want to be good this year? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. But also like it.
Speaker 1: Makes we're an uncomfortable deadline rightony, Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be weird seeing the Nationals. Bye, they're not going to buy. I mean like they might, they might make a superficial whatever.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: I think they try and trade.
Speaker 3: Could, but I think what they'll do is they'll get it. They'll get it back and starter and probably who will probably pitch worse than their current starters.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I don't trade.
Speaker 1: I think I think in a lot of ways this isn't I feel like I've argued against this in the past, but I think in a lot of ways, you you kind of have to have the courage of your convictions in the bigger picture here and be like, yeah, but no, Well, here's.
Speaker 3: The thing is that the truly brave trade deadline acquisition for the Nationals would be just the one that actually did make them better in the future. This is when you swing and actually get the good player.
Speaker 1: For years and not get them. But who is that. Well, you know, like.
Speaker 3: At merse right, I'm gonna use your control for several years. If you're if you if you have if you feel like you're obligated to trade at the deadline to do something, you may as well do something good, right, and that it's harder. You were certainly committing more.
Speaker 2: But the Orioles found out where Trepper Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, I mean they thought they were buying low on tread Rogers, and for a while they were, and then it turns out that they were buying the exact correct price at treppor Rodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like that, that is an interesting but the words we're not in the same position as like the nationals making that trade would have been so much more understandable even at the time, right of being like sure, we'll we'll buy low on this thing because we are the position we're low. Yeah, it's been low. I don't know, Yeah, yeah, fair enough, Okay, let's go to our seconds segment. Vegas, Baby Vegas. It was news to well at least two of us, I know, Jeff and I I don't know if Patrick was aware that these games were happening in Las Vegas. It was not until the middle of the game when people were like, they're playing on the moon, They're playing in Mexic That's true, they do, but they do put a little banner right in like the game, like on the game on the website, like there's a little banner that's like, you know, Mexico City. Uh, this is just it was just a game in a different Triple.
Speaker 2: A ballpark in the PCL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the PCO I the reaction, the reaction to the environment was both understandable and also I feel like people have just forgotten what every game is like. For the A's in their stadium, it's it is different in Vegas. It's higher elevation, I get it. Also, Sutter Park is insane. Yeah.
Speaker 2: For Vega, Mega Stadium is big.
Speaker 1: It is right, exactly, it is bigger.
Speaker 2: Than the stadium they are building in Vegas for the major league team.
Speaker 3: It is also higher up.
Speaker 1: Now it's not it's not cores, right, but it is the the idea of course, where it is both the thinner air and high elevation is counteracted not enough by a big park. Like this is not a this is not a bandbox. In terms of the dimensions, there are some ridiculous owners that said, I don't know what else to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a I'm curiously what Nick Kurt says when he's playing all his home games here.
Speaker 3: But I mean he will walk so many times, even more than that, yeah, even more than Now, that's like there will be no reason to pitch a Ni Kurts.
Speaker 1: It might be it's supposed to be a dome, right what they're buildings as you think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if they're building a new stadium, this is your opportunity. Just make the five hundred foot long stadium.
Speaker 2: They don't have the space to do it. They're jamming. Yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 3: This would be your situation where you could go, Okay, we should make the dimensions how modern baseball needs to have to make. I get you can't change your old stadiums. You can't create the grass that you need.
Speaker 1: But like, if you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna have baseball to twenty five hundred feet in one hundred and five degrees.
Speaker 2: Just they can just make the fence like the Oriole stated and then went away.
Speaker 3: But yeah, just give us the babbit. This is the one shot you have to give us actual outfield batted ball hits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. But then the and they don't want they're not going to be able to sell seats five hundred feet from from home plate for as much as they want to sell. Now are they going to sell?
Speaker 3: Are they going to sell them anyway?
Speaker 1: Well, it's a fair question. Yeah, I don't I don't know this this that was a very weird get. As I said, Kyle Harrison, who's been one of the best pitchers in baseball this year, absolutely torched and then it went. It went fourteen.
Speaker 2: Innings something like that was a lot of it.
Speaker 1: It was. It was some good weird baseball. I will tell you that it was. It took us, It took me back and it made me hate Rob Manfred all over again. That we don't get enough of these. Yeah, throughout the year. But it was some good weird baseball. Milwaukee ended up winning. I don't know what else do we want to The last the last thing that I run down here is the stadium is actually getting built, right. I will tell you I went to the Wikipedia. Yeah for this this ballpark, Yes, because I the foundation was finished. Yeah, there's like construction back in February at least. Uh And then Talk Sport had an article. They says that they're and it referenced to Bob Knight and Go saying that they are ahead of schedule. Yeah, so there is a schedule, by the way, but they are going they are standing by their commitment to the city of Sacramento. Yeah, yeah, to play there through twenty twenty eight, I guess, or whatever MLB dot com does have.
Speaker 3: And I'm sending a link a construction cam. I can't it's soumed out.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is live.
Speaker 3: I think this is a well it's saying eight minutes ago. So it's we're getting we're getting random stills from you know, X number of minutes at a time.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: There are lots of scaffolds. Yeah, oh yeah, there's there's stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, people are milling what's going on?
Speaker 3: It's going.
Speaker 1: I do like that. I do like they were like, we better get a camera on this. No one I'm going to believe this. Sh no one is gonna like, no one is to believe this.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe it until the picture loaded, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and here's here's the part that I don't believe is even looking at the Wikipedia and the related articles, it is it is not clear where the financing it's coming.
Speaker 2: From, and they did finance it at some point it is.
Speaker 1: Full Like I guess it's they've done enough to do this. I will say I did note that uh. One of the notes on the on the article is UH. Or the entry I should say is that Ara Mark won the bidding for uh, you know, food and whatever at the stadium and it's a twenty year deal. And they also bought into the team and the stadium, did they? Yeah, which I don't I don't know how often that is a situation.
Speaker 3: This is how we can afford to pay you in futures.
Speaker 1: So I like, I don't know if that goes to it, you know what I mean? So yes, here here's the line it says uh. In May twenty twenty five, Aramark was awarded a twenty year food and beverage contract which included a financial investment in the team and stadium. In the stadium, Like, all right, did they I don't know.
Speaker 3: Did they get an Aramark store outside in in you know, like it's part of the village, Like there's no village because.
Speaker 1: There's no room for the village in this stadium.
Speaker 3: But they like they need they need the store outside for them to get the business off. This is the major league model. I don't know what they'd sell at the stadium, it's only uniforms or stuff.
Speaker 1: But the Aramark their total outlay is at least one hundred and seventy five million dollars. The one hundred and seventy five million includes an equity investment into the team of at least one hundred million and a CAPEX investment commitment of at least seventy five million. So there you go. That is the is. I'm gonna say, let's take a break and we'll come back with the rest.
Speaker 4: Of the show.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to episode five hundred and fifty three of five and ive we're on our third segment. You're tearing me apart. Lara. Milwaukee has extended Luis Lara seven years and thirty one million dollars are the baseline. It can get up to what something in the eighties. Sure, I want to say something like that. This is uh, this this was interesting. Yeah, and the one they suggested this is a topic. Jeff is exasperated already.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not exasperate. Like they did this with Cooper Pratt, right, they did they like I am not privy to the internal workings the Walkee Brewers Space Operations department, but I suspect they are just running these numbers for any prospect of note and seeing who will take the deal. I believe they have, at least I don't know if they've specifically approached like Jesus made or I'm sure that they have Pania or Jet Williams or whoever else. Right, But.
Speaker 1: Right that part I don't think is that interesting?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Right? I think so when this happened, my initial reaction to several different places were basically, I don't know what to do with this. Yeah, this is there's an information asymmetry.
Speaker 2: Yes, especially on this level of prospect, I think, yeah, right, the definitely like I we did not. I know Luis law is off to a good start this year in Triple A. He's close to the major he.
Speaker 1: Is hitting three thirty six three in fifty eight games.
Speaker 2: I do not think he has meaningfully changed Looking at the underlying stuff here, I don't think he has meaningfully changed his profile. Right, He's close to the majors and Pratt was. He is in Triple A obviously, you know, I know he's made some top one hundred lists. Now it's not really he's on our long list, but he's like there's a glut of prospects between one oh two and like two seventy five, right or something. I don't know how long our long list was coming into the season. And there are meaningful differences there. They're just harder to parse, right, And like the Brewers should have more information about Luis Laura relative to Nelson Rada. Right, it was kind of like this time of type of product even you know, a j ewing is the good version of this better.
Speaker 1: Version just just to be there's it matches out at seventy nine million dollars. There are three team options to run it through.
Speaker 2: Mostly what this is, this was plan too, is they are leveraging life changing money. Yeah that is, you know, not more than a rounding era per year for them for their even even their salary expenditures.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he did not make the top ten for us.
Speaker 2: It's a good system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good system like that, but he didn't make the next ten.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: He's again he's a center fielder that doesn't have he's pretty good center paper, he doesn't hit for.
Speaker 1: Power, So, right, so some of the reasons and look, this is this is a.
Speaker 2: Good defensive center fielder, and like that's a good defensive shortstop.
Speaker 1: He's a good to very good defensive centerfielder. But if you look at what he did in Double A last year, two fifty seven, three sixty nine, three forty three. Now, the Southern League, as we've discussed, when it's not a good place to pratt is a very difficult place to hit. In the Fall League, he hit in twenty twenty four, which is a good place to hit. He hit two fifty six, three fifty three, sixty in Wisconsin and Hia Wisconsin he hit two forty five, three thirty two, two three twenty seven. Uh, that's all just two years ago. That's twenty twenty four. So what I think is interesting about this is, like I said, I don't have that much to say about the extension in and of itself. Again, there's there's an asymmetry. My earliest and and like most gut reaction is like, you know, they're making a gamble. I guess, like that's a gamble they can they can make and whatever. And as you said, like they have a model that says this is.
Speaker 2: Worth it yeah, but they also like for me.
Speaker 1: And there's very little downside. Thirty one million dollars spread over seven years is not a huge hit to take if this doesn't work out. What I think is interesting is I'm looking at this player and I'm trying to figure out I don't think this is a bad gamble to take. I don't understand why it is a gamble they're taking.
Speaker 2: Right, like the he this is not a skill set that gets paid a ton in arbitration, right like I don't.
Speaker 1: So my thought is if he hits three forty, it is Yeah. I guess no one hits three forty anymore except Jung Hulu right now.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And like his contact rate that he is his contact rate is good. Is aasy contact of ninety two. That is very good. He's doing that while swinging at forty percent of his pitches, which is pretty love like if.
Speaker 1: He's just like a high so he doesn't chi, which is good. He's pretty passive. He's a sixty two percent Z swing. Yeah. And and my issue so, so look.
Speaker 2: He doesn't hit the ball in the air or particularly hard.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't want to over generalize, but he is listed at five seven one sixty nine. Maybe that listing is real because of that cast now right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it might be updated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least it might be updated. So maybe he's actually five seven, but he might be five six or five five. I don't know, but with abs that might be legit. But even at five seven, no, Look, I understand baseball players come in all shapes and sizes, but that is that is that's a tough profile in general, right, Like the guys who make it at five to seven are true outliers.
Speaker 2: Right, But even if he is a look, if he's a three win batting average and glove center fielder, like the sir, the model is gonna tell you your But I have to.
Speaker 1: Think the variance on that profile in the majors is you you might be a three wing guy, and you might be replacement level when the when the babbit doesn't go your way? Right? Right?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: And god, hold on, hold on? Yeah, he max is at one oh nine, which frankly is not bad. No, it isn't, but it's very rare because his ninetieth percent style is one o two. That's well below average. His average exit velocity is eighty seven, that's well below average, right, he's the he doesn't hit the ball harder. So like you mentioned, you mentioned the unias might be the best second basement in baseball. You might be talking about centerfield unions.
Speaker 2: You might also might talk about like Magnaris Sierra, right right right, who was a better Probably we've over ranked magneris Sierra.
Speaker 1: I love man. I'm trying to learn it.
Speaker 2: It's this kind of it's it is this kind of profile, right.
Speaker 3: It makes me just wonder if the Brewers looked at this and said, well, until he's twenty five, he's going to be you know, you're getting essentially three or four wins on defense alone.
Speaker 1: But that's that's the other part of it. But you're saying is because this is the part that I'm I'm struggling with because center field.
Speaker 2: You're locking in the age twenty eight twenty nine seasons.
Speaker 1: And it's it's center field is again we talk about it. You have to be young. Now, twenty eight is not old, but it starts to and how many guys have they brought up who we thought, oh, they might be, you know, an average or better center fielder already at solf Redlic's in a corner. Jackson Jurio's in a corner. This you can't play Luis Laura in a corner, right. I mean you're talking about like the successful version is later career one Pierre Right.
Speaker 2: Ben Revere had a couple of good seats Ben Revere.
Speaker 1: I mean the question is like if you if you took his hitting profile generally and mapped it onto major league players, I think a lot of people would not be impressed by the types of players we're talking about. Like you said, mag Nurisieria, Victor Scott just got demoted. Yep, it is a volid and Victor Scott is as good a defender and center as you're gonna find. It is as it is a very volatile overall profile. Now and again, I say all this copying to the fact that Milwaukee has more information than I do and are really good at this. So I'm not trying to say all this to say this is dumb. I'm trying to say, like, given the information we have, I don't understand it, and well I understand, yeah, well, and I understand. What I do understand is their model says it's worth it, right, And I understand that even if if we built a model again seven point thirty one is so, I mean, it's so inconsequential. It feels I said this somewhere else, But it feels weird to me that I'm I'm in the position of saying like, there's a very, very limited downside, and I do see the upside in this extension, and I also question why they're bothering. It's not a bad bet, it's it's a weird bet.
Speaker 3: Well, when I look at this, I'm like, how many of these bets are they going to lay on the table. They've already done two of these, right, can can the Brewers? Is it still a good bet? If the Brewers do this with five like if they go, well, I think I think arguably that's better. That's what they're trying, and that's what seems like they're trying to do, right. You know, is Andrew Fisher going to take this deal? Do you want Andrew Fisher to take this deal? Do you want three more Andrew Fishers to take this deal?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I probably want Andrew Fisher to take this deal.
Speaker 1: Marc odingis yeah, uh yeah, I mean they have they have I'm sure again, I'm sure they have trust in what their model says in terms of what it's going to return. The people that I talk to in the industry, the team side people I talked to, were like, yeah, like and a model is going to tell you this is worth it, Like I understand, like I am. Some of them I talked to, We're kind of like, this is a little uncomfortable, Like I I would personally be uncomfortable. But like, every team basically would do this. So again I'm not saying Milwaukee's wrong. Basically not every team would do this.
Speaker 2: Basically, if you project any of your prospects as a major league regular in any form, you should give them this deal, right.
Speaker 3: Like exactly, it's also exactly a bummer that still exists.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also like it's not it's not honestly a bad deal for Liis Laura.
Speaker 1: No, not given, it isn't. Given the stuff that I'm talking about, what what is the what does the success look what does the success success story look like? With his profile with this badd at ball stuff. Now, maybe it changes. He's twenty one, right, they could get him more out front lifting the ball, you know, maybe he gets gets Yeah, maybe he's gonna swing. I don't know his swing speed, right, I don't have that, but maybe right, maybe they terrang him. And and if they, but my question.
Speaker 2: Is a very good contact rate and is capable of hitting a ball one hundred and nine miles an hour, right the right?
Speaker 1: That ex it? No, so I buy that, right, I get that. But why hasn't that shown up yet? Then if they think they can do it, I mean to show up for about a month, right, Well, no he's not. I mean no, it hasn't right exactly, and and and look the answer, Yeah, I don't know. They might have legitimate answers to that. I'm not trying to I'm not trying to ask it rhetorically. But as you said, Patrick, we're not going to No, yeah, they're not gonna tell us that.
Speaker 3: We'll find out.
Speaker 1: Trust me. I know people who work for the Brewers. I would ask them. They don't tell you any They're not going to reveal it. So I don't know. It's it's just an interesting it's an interesting thing, especially alongside the Pratt deal. There have been a number of these pre The other part of this is if you look at the extensions given to guys who have not debuted, it's not a great list. It's not Evan Waite yeah, but even even the more recent Yeah, hold on, I'm pulling up the earliest extensions. So Laura and Cooper Pratt, so Cole Emerson, we got col Keith, Yeah, been okay, Jackson Turi, that's a Churio.
Speaker 2: Probably got a lot more money than this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Surio was a like, that's like that is it's to me different in a different category than Pratt and Cole.
Speaker 2: Cath is a good comp here, and that the outcome has been like fine, yeah.
Speaker 1: Fine, but worth it? Underwhelming and acceptable. Yes, Luis Robert obviously in a different category of prospect. He's been hurt too much. Yeah, but I would say, you know, they traded him. They did pick up the option. I don't think the Mets are going to pick up the next one.
Speaker 2: Sounds like he's going to be back fairly soon.
Speaker 1: We'll see, we'll see what might.
Speaker 2: Who's one of the worst hitters in baseball this year?
Speaker 1: Sure? Oh sure, No, I'm not the te I'm not worried about the trade. I guess I'm just saying, like, I don't know if both of those are going to be picked up in terms of the options, again, worth it, you know, on balance for the deal that he signed, I would say, but under won't. Evan White not worth it, Elloy him and Az probably not worth it, right, I mean they moved on Scott Kingery, John Singleton. Those are all the zero service time guys. There are a bunch of you know, Samuel Bassio got five days in Connor Griffin, five days in Christian Campbell, six days of service.
Speaker 2: Matt Moore, that one was worth it. Yeah, seventeen days of great a memoir. Is kind of disappointing for where he was ranked, but it was still worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had enough good I think to balance out McGonagall twenty days of service time. Looks very good, by the way, I'll tell Matt true Blood wrote an article on part of what makes McGonagall so so good on the site today. And then Evan Longoria probably the best. Right, like Evan Longoria, Corbyn Carroll looks very good, Saddani Rafaela, Eh. Yeah, Salvador Perez fifty days of service time. That one worked out. They extended him again two years early. But it's it's you know, I don't think it's more of a mixed bag than you might think.
Speaker 2: None of the king Eies or Singleton's or Evan White stopped their team from doing anything else either.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's bad for the team. It's it's but some of them are you didn't need this is this is what I'm saying. I both think there's limited downside, there's obvious upside, and I also don't know that I would do it. Yeah, we can go to our fourth segment. We'll go around the horn. We have some injuries. I mentioned O'Neil Cruz has a fractured hand. Ronald Akunya Junior was played. He had missed some games. They placed him on the aisle with a hamstring injury. Jack Kahanowitz out for the Angels with Tommy John surgery. We have crust setback. Is this different than the one I mentioned last time? He which was they said that there was a minor setback, but then he went for imaging.
Speaker 3: He said it was fine and they were going for I mentioning, And now he is saying it's not fine. This is way worse than I thought.
Speaker 1: Well, well, no, no, duh, you're very very minor setback that made you go for imaging. Wasn't a very very minor setback? Okay, so yeah, he's not playing He's now back to not playing catch. It's gonna be a long m Victor Scott, as I mentioned earlier, demoted he's been really bad. I wrote him up for the transaction analysis I I had mentioned before the season. I think I need him and him and Jordan Walker to freaky Friday. They're batted ball profiles. They kind of did it actually, and it's worked out really well for Jordan Walker and not well at all.
Speaker 3: Jordan Walker is still hitting. Yeah, just you know, if we don't work him up for a week.
Speaker 2: He is the only person that has not hit a home run in this match Cardinals game so far. The ball is lying out of city yeah, uh new bar barrels and Jared Young and Boba Schett have all lowered in the first like wow, oh yeah, of course of course Jared Young.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jared Young has been hitting. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I told you about this before last season. Craig's Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but Scott did actually do he put the ball in the ground more, which was I I said. I thought he should do to make use of his legs because he's hitting easy. He was hitting easy fly balls. Somehow his babbit has gone down, but partially maybe because his exit velocity has also gone down, which I thought was not possible.
Speaker 3: Maybe if he gets down far enough it'll stop, it'll die in from the infielders and they'll gets more infield. That was kind of my Yeah, exactly, there is there is a little bubble on babbit bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they might need to uh, they might need to send him like the obviously Milwaukee would not do this. They need to figure out what he did to Bryce Terrang and maybe figure it out for Victor Scott, because again, if he could be a ten worse than league average hitter, he's worth it in the field. Taiwan Walker was released? Where where was Taiwan Walker? At this point?
Speaker 3: I intentionally didn't put the name of the h I knew, I know he.
Speaker 1: Where did he go?
Speaker 3: He was Angels?
Speaker 1: The Angels? Oh that's right, Okay, did he pitch they released from? Or was he extras?
Speaker 3: Did he released? Let's see he had not pitched with the Angels. Let's see he was he in Salt Lake. He was in Salt Lake. He pitched four and two thirds innings and they weren't like gave up. He gave up two runs and four two thirds innings and that that was it for the EF.
Speaker 1: You missed your chance to see.
Speaker 2: Salt Lake and Jimmy Crooks is now homeward.
Speaker 1: And then we had a bunch of call up so and then he just stopped watching the Cardinals Homer and talk about what we got four?
Speaker 3: Well, we got two and then and then I could talk about.
Speaker 1: The last two. Okay, where you can't Braden Montgomery. We mentioned do you want to give a small rundown?
Speaker 2: Yeah, former first round pick of the recent first round pick of the Red Sox was traded in the Crochet deal. Very traditional corner outfield profile, big power, big speed, not clear he can hit, especially breaking balls. We'll see how that goes. And then Cole corrig Yeah, I liked Cole Crek coming out of the draft, but they've kind of just made him a one position guy. Like he played some catcher, shortstop and center field in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's played some infield and outfield. But yes, they've been winnowing, Yes, the interesting aspects of.
Speaker 2: Him, and he's kind of he's selling out more for like lift and pole now, which is but he was kind of a broad bassed guy and he's like picked power, which is probably good. Dreamy playing your home games, and course he's still like he's a he's he's interesting. It's like a power speaker. He'll steal some basses, he'll hit some homers. I don't think i'm particularly high batting average. I'm not tally sure where he's gonna play for the Rockies.
Speaker 3: But you can play third, right, Yeah, yeah they could.
Speaker 1: Kyle Kiros's yeah, maybe not the answer. Yeah, and then Patrick, you're so I put Roddy tell Us.
Speaker 3: We made the joke about Taylan Walker. But do you know where Rowdy tell Us was?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I mean I know, because he's replacing Ronald Acunya this week.
Speaker 3: He is replacing uh he is, he was. He's been in Gwinnette all year, the Braves, the Braves Triple A team. I was writing at the Raves this week. Boy, Gwinnette is a very funny Triple A team. I love these Triple A teams that just have no youth in them whatsoever. It feels very nineteen sixties to me to be like, all right, we're just gonna get all these guys who are washed out and are on their way down, but they're still good enough theoretically to play Triple A. That's rowdy tell Us, He's death. They have no depth because the basically their triple at their farm team is just guys like Rowdy Tellez who were barely worse than the guy they have at the major league.
Speaker 2: Level, so that they just like have the Eric Hartman breakout at least, Yeah, they do the air.
Speaker 3: So uh, tell Us was slugging forty three with it, so, uh, you know, he'll probably have a ninety ops plus at the major league level, and he will be slightly worse than who they had.
Speaker 1: You know, just where is he gonna play? He will not only be slightly worse than Ronald Kudne, well he won't.
Speaker 3: He'll be right. He will be worse than right field, that is for sure.
Speaker 1: Uh. They already have Dom Smith. They cannot also play Rowdy Tellis all right, so they have that also, Like he literally like you can only d h him. Are they gonna play Dom Smith in a corner?
Speaker 2: I mean it's been tried before, it has been.
Speaker 1: Done, but we also saw how it looked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's a good question because I mean your other choice is Eli White, right, well, he can at least play defense, You can theoretically play defense. Yeah, combining him is a weird choice.
Speaker 2: They're both are also in the Dodgers. It doesn't really matter mode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then let's go back, let's go back to Anaheim.
Speaker 3: Uh, Tray Nancini, who you've You've written this up, so you probably tell the story better than I can. But trainman scene has been around for a while. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Jenny, Jenny wrote the t A. I made her, I made her have feelings about the Angels briefly. But tremon Seni has not made it. Played in the majors for three years. He had to be talked out of retirement by Brady Anderson, which is just a sentence. It's just a full on sentence. He came up, what he had three hits, yeah or something in his first game.
Speaker 4: Uh, but.
Speaker 2: I say the Angels would be trying something else, and they are. It's they are also trying, like.
Speaker 1: I just he has not had a hit since that first I mean, look, the.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to do with the Angels, what to do with the Angels.
Speaker 1: He has already managed an OBP below his batting average. Yep, yeah, yeah, look they they are doing this. Nolan Shaanenwell was activated off the Iel then got hurt and they are still not playing him, but not I yelling.
Speaker 2: I know to watch too much Angels this year, but I have somehow not watched much Angels this year, so I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 1: I will tell you this. Trey Mancini is somehow only thirty four years old. Yeah, and in my head he was thirty seven.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Well, he didn't get started until twenty five basically, so that late start, early finish career that uh.
Speaker 1: They are, it's more common you think they are staggeringly hurt as a sea. So Nolan Shanwell is not on the IL but is not playing right now. I think or might just just be getting back. They just sixty D D sixty day Yoan Mancatta, who was not surprising. He's always hurt. Yeah, he just put him on the sixty day. Josh Lowe also hurt quite a bit. He's he's just not on the forty man right or on the the twenty six man right now. Joege Solaire is hurt. Von Grissom with a one away OPS plus at the time of injury. Adam Fraser did not have a one away OPS plus at the time of injury. Also hurt Sebastian Rivera, who we just talked about, yes, has since gotten hurt like it is staggery. They are getting a near nine hundred ops out of Wade Meckler right now. I don't know what to do with this team, man.
Speaker 2: I mean it's I would say, like you can't. It's a very funny off season because you can do the well. You can't really blame the front office and manager. There's been too many injuries. But also like that.
Speaker 1: Sebastian Rivero, Yeah, yeah, which brings us to our game.
Speaker 3: All right, So we haven't played this in a while. We've played this before, yes we have. It's been a long time. What we're gonna do for this one is we're not using the booth. But I'm also not going to give you a score as we're running. I'll let you know at the end, I'm going to give you the name of a baseball team and you have to tell me no, all right, it doesn't matter rich you he goes first, because you know you're not gonna find out what happened. But we're I'm gonna give you a bunch of teams and you just tell me, is this a real team? And the first one is the Portland web Feet.
Speaker 1: I'm in hell.
Speaker 3: No, I'm also going to all right, uh the Aberdeen Guey Ducks.
Speaker 2: Like the clam Yeah, like the now are you are there any see? I am going to say, no, are these like.
Speaker 1: Actual names or this? Are you including? No? But are you including stuff? When they do? Like they're stupid like the the.
Speaker 2: From the nineteen twenties Craig, they're a old yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, no, I'm not using I am not.
Speaker 1: None of these teams are like.
Speaker 2: The Utter whatever yeah, like Utter Daddies or sexy Utters. Okay, yeah, sure, I'm gonna I don't think there are any I don't think there are any guy ducks on the East Coast. So I'm gonna say, now here's an Atlantic Ocean bi valve.
Speaker 3: Okay, Uh the Tacoma Daisies.
Speaker 1: Fuck off, I'm trying to apply something the Atlantic Ocean vibe.
Speaker 2: They're not trying to apply some logic to that.
Speaker 1: No, I mean you're gonna be right, but like.
Speaker 2: I mean they might have just done it anyway, who knows.
Speaker 1: But also, screw you. Sorry?
Speaker 3: What was the Tacoma Daisies?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Do you have any thoughts on the flower dispersion.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say, yes, I'm gonna give me. I'm not giving you anymore. I'm not gonna give you any more insight into my process.
Speaker 1: Craig the competition, Yes, yeah, sure, the Dallas Hams.
Speaker 2: Hams with an M, not hands with the okay, no ham.
Speaker 3: Oh like like they're not fighting ranch hands?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah sure, why not?
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, Dallas Hams. That's cattle country. I'm gonna say now.
Speaker 1: The Devenport cock we weren't getting insight into your well.
Speaker 2: You already did your answer.
Speaker 1: The Davenport what.
Speaker 3: You say it twice? The Davenport cock boatman.
Speaker 1: Sorry, just picture Patrick Patrick in his office at two in the morning, just writing out coming up with on his own.
Speaker 2: I don't better you better.
Speaker 3: Will believe I practiced reading all of these.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think Patrick works this blue. So I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I'm gonna say yes. Also, is it like is it is it like a Cox like a cox in? Is that like a Coxswain? Yes, exactly. The Lebanon pretzel eaters. Yes, No, this feels very Patrick this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna say yes, right, that's like they like Pretzel. That's German.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true, that's true. I'm gonna say yeah. Then I'm going back to yes, thank you. The reading actives. What the actives just that's the name of the reading actives, the adjective active. I'm not being more of my process on one running the game. I this all I I'm in hell this. I'm gonna say no. It's like definitely gonna be yes.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna say yes because it feels like some weird nineteen ten ship, right, yeah, sure.
Speaker 1: Fine, but like that's so dumb.
Speaker 3: Get ready for dumb. The Phillips Burger Burgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure absolutely, I mean again, like what what Basically this is exactly the type of ship that they would do. But then it's so easy for for Patrick to just be like, yeah, it ends in burg I'll just do Burgers and trick their stupid asses. But you got me Patrick, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Jeff, No, I'll go with now uh the Omaha Omahawks, I'm furious.
Speaker 1: I'm furious.
Speaker 2: No, no, now.
Speaker 3: The Rockford Rocks.
Speaker 2: Sensing a theme for this one, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah yeah yeah. The Binghamton Bingos they call it Bingo they do Yeah, fine again I'll be your Huckleberry. I'm gonna be your huckleberry.
Speaker 2: I think I know all the Binghamton ones, and I don't think that's one of them.
Speaker 1: A uh three more the Green Bay Bays.
Speaker 2: The best part of this is some of these are going to be real and somebody are gonna be fake.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I am your huckleberry everything.
Speaker 2: Yes for this one. This seems like something they would do, all right.
Speaker 3: The the Athens Poultryman, mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Is it Chicken Country?
Speaker 2: We're going to add anthetic. I don't know that between Athens and making in terms of.
Speaker 1: Like which Athens is it? Do we get to find out there are there's more than one. I don't mean that one in Greece, by the way, to be.
Speaker 3: Clear, No, you don't get to find out.
Speaker 1: Fuck it? Yeah fine.
Speaker 2: Athens poultry Man, Uh yeah, sure, okay.
Speaker 1: And lastly the Jacksonville Lunatics. Yeah, because I want that to be real.
Speaker 2: I think that's real. I do think that's true.
Speaker 1: I would like that to be true.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, that's the game. Congratulations to all of us, Thank you very much for joining the show. No, I will say, Craig, if you had been more of a huckleberry. You would have scored higher. I started it too late, he started too late.
Speaker 1: But you still did win.
Speaker 3: You won seven to six. Congratulations, Craig. All right, we'll go through the Portland web Feet real team.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all these teams that are real are from eighteen ninety two. I can't remember which league. I didn't put the league down for this one. You don't care the Aberdeen Gwey Ducks. I'm very frustrated with you, Jeff, because you applied logic. That logic was erroneous because Aberdeen is a city in Washington state.
Speaker 2: Oh I think in Maryland.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, And that allowed.
Speaker 3: Them to create the correct answer, which is that no, there's see.
Speaker 2: If I know it is Washington, I would have said, yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing about Aberdeen as a city is I think there's like seven of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well like when I think Aberdeen Baseball, immediately think.
Speaker 1: I also thought Maryland. I didn't argue with you. I thought Maryland too as well.
Speaker 3: The Tacoma Daisies. You were both corrected, is a real team the Dallas Hams. Craig was correct. It is the Dallas Hams. And I did Jeff. You you went, you fell right, into it because you immediately said this isn't the wrong type of meat, Yeah, which is exactly what I thought of I saw this. But it is a real team. Uh. The Devenport cock Boatman is not a real team.
Speaker 1: I freaking knew. I just Patrick in his like cackling to himself. You're range Lebanon Prets leaders. That is correct, So both of you got that one right. The Reading Actives is a real team.
Speaker 2: I was pretty confident in that one.
Speaker 3: The phillips Burg Burgers is also a real team.
Speaker 1: Yeah could who could possibly know? Yeah?
Speaker 3: The Omaha Omahawks, which might be my favorite team, is a real team. I think they need to start calling every team and.
Speaker 1: Do need to go back to that.
Speaker 3: The Rockford Rocks are fake.
Speaker 1: You got that right.
Speaker 3: The bingham To Bingoes are also correct. That is a real team.
Speaker 2: Really get eighteen ninety two. I don't go back with my knowledge of league teams.
Speaker 3: The Green Bay Bays. I think it's very funny because I assume the Bays would be the horse right, Like you can't be a body of are they? When they were calling themselves a bay? What?
Speaker 1: What bay is a horse? What?
Speaker 3: Well isn't there a baef is a horse, like is the b type of horse? Hold on, I know a horse? Uh yeah, bay is a reddish, reddish brown horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nor normal.
Speaker 3: Horses are bay horses. Okay, okay, yeah, like your green old brown horse is a bay horse, the green Bay bays.
Speaker 1: Can you.
Speaker 2: Patrick?
Speaker 1: Title of the episode, I don't know, horse, sure.
Speaker 3: With the s is going to be fantastic.
Speaker 1: I don't know, horse, but you do more than not clearly.
Speaker 3: More worse than you guys.
Speaker 1: But also you think bay bays are the horse and not the bay.
Speaker 3: Well it seems a little weird to call yoursel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we are the body of water. I don't know what do you think that's also a type of horse.
Speaker 3: Actually, anyway, you both got it right, so good job of that. The Athens poultryman. I did research this. You guys both got it wrong. It is not a real team, uh the Athens I did. I did look up which state which is the center of chicken population? Is the state of Georgia. I don't know if Athens with you know a college town in Georgia is a particularly chicken rife city within the most popular chicken country or a chicken state. But I did go for the state I did try it. Okay, it worked hard, That's what I'm saying. And then the Jacksonville Lunatics are a real team. Go out and get their hands God bless thank you. Yes, someone make a shirt. Yeah, yeah, someone to make a shirt.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that was horrible.
Speaker 3: It's been too long, it's been we should do that.
Speaker 1: It's you, it's your effort, Patrick, I mean you, yeah, But the problem is it's not a problem. I understand. This is this is how it works. But like if you had just done another city that ended in Berg and call them the Burgers, I'm gonna say yes again, and you're gonna be like, no, it was Philipsburg, not not you know, Ralphsberg, And it's like, well, who the fuck would know?
Speaker 3: You certainly got me with that hypothetical situation being a jerk that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not calling you, I'm just saying it is it becomes impossible to know except they didn't do that. But I don't know if you're doing that or no. That's the point.
Speaker 3: It's just you just you just have trust issues with this game.
Speaker 1: I mean the yes, how many times did you come up with making names trust issues? This is you sewing this is great. Fuck yeah you sewing is my trust issues now.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you for the.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the game, I guess. Thank you to our listeners for tuning in to another episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball Perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for the Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. If you enjoy what we're doing, please drop us a five star rating. We greatly appreciate it. You do not have to leave a comment. It's always nice if you do, and it's nice. Sometimes it's not nice, but it's nice. If it's nice, we appreciate it. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, I'm so sorry, but your time is now. I can't be the story by vacancy will be ill came my father's door, the fucking B. I would can never answering B