Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace That War another great story based on perfect alcolages copyrighted books The FBI and Peace I War Drama, Thrills, Actions The Right Story, twenty five thousand dollars bonds. I'd like you, mister Pharaoh. I've just come from the United States Commissioner's office. He said you refuged counsel when you were arraigned before him this morning. Violation of the Espionide laws is a major insurance. I don't have to tell you that. And if Barry Calvin should say to pull through, you're sure you don't want to change your mind about retaining counsel. I'm sure why I had my reason. I looked over your record in the Commissioner's office. It's an excellent record, mister Farrell. Unless there's a compelling reason, a man of your background doesn't change overnights, mister Stephens. And beyond your record, there was the interview with Agent Glenno's at your office. Oh Man doesn't ask for an interview with the FD, mister Stephens. I believe I'm within my rights and not caring to discuss this. You are, but you're being held in twenty five thousand dollars buns. You know what that means? No visitors except in the tourney. I hope you might be willing to help yourself since you flatly refuse counsel. Excuse me Stephens speaking, Yes, sir, oh I see, yes, I'll tell him. Mister Farrell, Yes, that was Agent Reynolds, your wife. I don't want Aileen brought into this. You have no right of Your wife just made a complete and voluntary statement as huming full guilt. Her statement exonerates you from any connection with the classified documents in question, as well as your supposed part of the shooting. You want to tell me about it now. They won't put her away, will they? I mean, if they were a mitigating circumstandard for me to decide. Mister Barroll, No, of course not. It's just well, it wasn't Eileen's false, not really, and just for the shooting. Why don't you tell me what you know from the beginning? All right? Would you like a cigarette? Yes? I wouldn't see who you are? Thank you, thanks a loving It wasn't her false. It's anything I was to blame, But you can make your own judgments. All I know is that if I hadn't been so busy at the office, I would have had more time with Aileen, and she wouldn't have had time for a man like Barry Calvin. You know, Ilean, in these days, that husband of yours may get curious about what happens with you while he's busy at the office. What then, all isn't attacks get curious? Trust you intrig But if you ever did get curious, all I do is ask for divorce. You haven't mentioned anything like that yet. Of course, when uh when was who? Well, I've been thinking about that very thing, Aileen say that glass was kind of looking. I've been thinking about this most carefully, and I've come to the conclusions, Aileen. Yeah, when two people are as close as we are, they shouldn't have secrets from one another, should they? Of course they shouldn't.
Speaker 2: What did he done tell me?
Speaker 1: I need money? I mean a great deal of money, and I need it now. But I thought, I know, But I have been doing so well with my investments lately, and a couple of big deals have fallen through. Darny, I don't care about money, did I know? I don't know? Of course, I didn't take Barry. My husband works for the government. You know the kind of dowry email. I know, Ilean, I know how you feel, but I I just couldn't ask the future missus Barry Calvin to make a big move like this and this. I could at least, I mean, how much do I mean to you? You know? How much? Time enough to do something for me without asking? Why? Ask me? That's all allan? Do you know what work your husband does for the governm No, there is an exactly wone have a discussed business is me? He brings things home to work and doesn't I mean you want to help me, you really do? Just time? I just all right, all right, that's all I wanted to know. I had to find out if you, if you really wanted me, really needed me, because I need you. I mean I need you more than you will ever know, Imo to Reynold. Confidential request from Defense Department planted by Director JNS gutcheons out of from her with mister Paul Barrell, I want to report back to me San you there, boy, shit up, looks right, step lively me.
Speaker 2: This is your great grandpa. Man name some my name.
Speaker 1: I've been called Johnny Red and I've been called Billy Yank. I'm a soldier Civil War on what you want to know about soldier. Oh, yes, sure, we was the first to use observation from the air. Huh, there was no end of things we didn't start or try out for the first time in our war. At the beginning of the war, Congress authorized Statius Low to create US an aeronautic service. So he built five balloons, which was used first in the Peninsular.
Speaker 2: Campaign by McLellan.
Speaker 1: And the fact is old Fattius Low was the first one to take photographs from a balloon. Yeah. Anyhow, they'd go on up right over the enemy lines and look down on them with long spyglasses. There was no danger from gunfire, since neither the muskets nor the artillery fire.
Speaker 2: Could reach them. But landing the blame balloon was sure hazardous.
Speaker 1: They bounced down hardly, observers get themselves all tangled in the poles of the balloon, the like of which you never seen u. But they got the job done, even if they did sometimes look as if they were going to fly right on up to the moon.
Speaker 2: But now, you boy, you don't have to depend on balloons.
Speaker 1: I know you got yourself all kinds of people and machines to do you're observing for you, and do it.
Speaker 2: A heap better.
Speaker 1: There's helicopters and others such like spotter aircraft, for which you can thank your lucky stars and stripes.
Speaker 2: Leave you me, son.
Speaker 1: It takes more and just men and guns and generals to make you an army. It takes some poor devil like old sad Low, risking his neck in some crazy balloons some hundred years ago, and then it takes long, hard training to give you the kind of derned good observant you got today, and danged if it don't. Of course, it hasn't lastual evidence that anyone who's been examining the document settlement snow no direct evidence now, and none of the papers has ever been missing. No, Still you feel, and mister Renolds, look at it this way. The papers we're talking about a classified material, in a vermacular top secret. I'm not only careful when handling material of that classification, I'm absolutely exact. Uh huh for instance, Well, for instance, each paper is in a specific Manila folder and placed in definite orders. I check this, and I check it again. Yet twice during the past month I found papers and folders in the change, or at any rate, arranged differently than when I placed them there. I understand one thing. I'm certain I didn't rearrange them all right now, I don't think I'm being an alarmist. You recognize the implications behind my suspicions. If I weren't fairly certain, you don't have to convince me mis foul. Less evidence than yours is produced to incredible results. Let me ask you this, who in this office, but for that matter, who on this floor would have had ordinary access to your brief? Gay ordinary? No one unusual access or my secretary, the filing clerks, my assistant Joe Dixon, no special feelings about any event. I trust each and every one of them as highly as I would myself. Uh huh. You bring work home with you mitrial on weekend? Yes? I do, occasionally other times, but mostly weekend this past month. Yes, married, aren't you? I am happily now, I don't mean to pride, right, it's all right, Yes, quite happily. The reason I ask security had you conceal the nature of your work even from your wife. This interview cancels that order for her safety. It's now necessary for her to know. Do you have a gun in the house, miss Fowl. No, I don't. You don't really the vowel. Yes, I'm not being an alarmist either, but I don't have to talk circles with you. You're well aware of the situation. I'll see that you have a gun and permit for it. One more thing, Yes, as soon as you tell your wife about it's better. I'll tell her tonight. Anything more, No, that's orphan Amasaharaoh. There may be something more or later. And after my interview with Agent Reynolds, I tried to continue working, but the situation was too disturbing for me to concentrate. I left the office and went home with Telilan about her as she suggested, but there was an autumn night table saying she was spending eating his friends. This is been happening with in preaching regularity over the recent weeks, and somehow that was disturbing too ile. Oh, sorry, Carl, I did a week. I was asleep. Oh, just kidding yourself. Oh, I split earlier today. I didn't know you were going on tonight. Well, now I hear the fourth bridge, Frid know you were saying at the office. Oh, I didn't know until the LASTNS myself. Who was there? And I M, you know, keep this Garry Calvin. Yes, I was there that he brought me home. That was nice him, Aileen, what's the matter? Something the matter? I think there is imagination for it. No, we've been going apart lately. It's my fault. I guess I made the office more important than our homes. And I couldn't even tell you why. In any way, that's changed now I can see if something is the matter, maybe it will help. And by the time I had finished telling her and Aileen was really shocked. I'd expected a reaction from her, but nothing so severe. I reassured her, that's like and I told her the whole thing might be a false alarm. I thought about the gun and our living room desk, but something was common, and of course I didn't know why. I didn't know what a night of torments she went through, waiting for the morning and the truth, the truth. Your husband must be an eloquent speaker, have you definitely this way thought that speak willed me? Didn't I hear to discuss Paul's vocal abilities, Barry, I'm quite sure you didn't. How much truth is there? And what he said apparently you seem to think there's a good deal.
Speaker 2: Answer my question.
Speaker 1: I mean, when you went along with our arrangement, you knew that there might be complications, didn't you. I went along because I thought those papers were harmless, because you said you needed my help. I think I know Fio you do. He lied to all along.
Speaker 2: You only made love to me.
Speaker 1: Use you use your that has such an ugly sound. I mean my word, every moment with you was a praising your word, your health and war. My dear, say, well, who did? Who are foreign agent? You are?
Speaker 2: Aren't you?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but you had to find out sooner or later? Yes? Who? Life? Then? What a stupid juspido? Easy? Now, don't sell yourself short And like I said, it was.
Speaker 2: Calling squirming ouse.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do that again. If with you and keep your voice down? What do you think you're doing? What does it look like? Calling Paul? I don't think that's very word. I don't imagine the deep end ialen think just think a minute, do you know me, Darry? I don't think that's my trouble? Hello, n mister Paul felt, Thank you you're being young, Aileen. Don't be young. You don't want poor to know what you've done for you're wrong. I do want to know. He said those documents in the wrong hand documents. Who's talking about documents? But I'm talking about personal things, Darling. Things. I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone to know, much less your husband things. I'd really be most reluctant to tell him. Keep flexible, irene and open minds. Thinking young is unbecoming a t It's me, darling.
Speaker 2: Both go along.
Speaker 1: Someone want to tell you something. Le's the phone.
Speaker 2: Go on, tell me.
Speaker 1: Very Calvin there, I mean feeling silly today. She's had one or two drinks. Come on, ball, don't just.
Speaker 2: Go there questions?
Speaker 1: Do what I say important?
Speaker 2: Please don't come away.
Speaker 1: All I knew was that Aileen asked me to come home right away, and then an urgency in her voice that should have prepared me for something unuseful, But I was hardly prepared to hear what I did. Sorried Calvin at warn Isleen how far he would go, and he carried out his ugly such little qualification. Are you through all through? Unless perhap your wife cares? Though I'd resign Paul acquired Aileen. I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. Let me handle this. Calvin, You're a fortunate man. If this was a movie that I'll knocked you down long ago. I take for granted with grown up people, Believe me, I didn't want it this way. I'd never have opened my mouth if Ioleen hadn't made an issue. I take for granted you wouldn't do anything fully, And do you also take for granted that's what I would do? I think I do. Yeah, you're not going to do a thing. I'm going to call the police, Calvin. No, you won't do that. I won't. Your wife wouldn't like it. After all, someone might get careless because the police what I've just told you. That would make a real juicy headline. I wouldn't, and someone might. Punks will tell him. Have you and Eileen had been conspiring all the time against your country? Ilen and me? Yes, I don't believe Ileen would want that to happen. I perhaps the other, but not that.
Speaker 2: No, you're not met TNK.
Speaker 1: I'm only trying to help you, dear. I certainly don't want your husband mixed up in his agreements just because it's manly. Pride been injured. You see your position, don't you, Paul? Yes, I see, And to avoid complications, all you have to do is you act sensible. How sensible? Well, all I have to do is to get this incident and let you walk out of here. That is my dear Paul. I could have walked out long before you arrive. Oh that's not yet. There's a little something more. For instance, Paul, you're a bright young man and intellect, you of a spark pres of the nation. Surely you can add two and two and tell me the right answer. I thought Aileen provided you with the papers you wanted. She did and more. However, yet, however, there are certain essential papers still to be seen. Way, shall we say, complete the picture? In my pocket there's a camera five minutes with the essential papers. And I'm said his friends heart, and I said something amusing. Yes, you did something very amusing. At the trouble with you boys, you can take it in your way and trips you up every time you're before the alternative. It really hasn't any choice. Good old national loyalty. That boy scout American editor always gives me a laugh and a laugh hearty than your number coming up any minute. Don't trust me, call I don't like it. We have a good old national saying Calvin, if you don't like it, lump it. You underestimate me. You always know. On the contrary, I overestimated you. I had no idea what a fifty low, miserable sneaking cheek you were. Our husband doesn't know how to speak. You should teach him discretion, I lean, we know who the expert is when it comes to sneaking cheats, don't we the memory of those evenings while he was at the office line man like you, Paul, what do you know? Ideals? Big talk and no action. Let's you or your kind all the time talk and ideas while your wife No, I'm through catering to this knit with Do I have the cajole when I can order? I want those papers, pol you will have them. I want them now. You do have a choice, whether you think so or not. You can hand them to me or pick up the phone and drop before you say operator okay. Yes it's a forty five automatic with silence and live in littley was always my creed, Ileen. But your big brave husband is asking for trouble, so let him have his choice. Hand me the papers or pick up the phone. Stay out of the silen no paper you want to need the Sorry, Paul, I don't care about the papers are in his day, get them? I lean, I say where you are poor? Put that gun down or I'll ram it down. You're trying. You drive me too far. You have it alien, Yes, I have it rotten, no good, right, Paul, I've taken it up from you. I mean I don't know. I said I can't. You couldn't many I mean listened, I'd no time I listen. I'm going to call for an ambulance. Do you understand now? The please will come?
Speaker 2: You weren't here.
Speaker 1: Have you got that? I can play everything? Don't, darling, don't. Everything will be all right. Please please don't cry. Ilan go behind you now you'll see everything will be all right.
Speaker 2: Land Land, This land was made.
Speaker 3: One of the world's great men, was born at Speaking Spring Fawn near the Big South Fork of Nolan Creek. Abraham Lincoln, one of America's favorite songs, was written about Bardstown, my old Kentucky home. Much of the world's best bourbon is distilled in Frankfort or Frank's Ford, as it was originally named. One of America's cleverest men hailed from Paduca Irvin S.
Speaker 1: Cobb.
Speaker 3: Gilbertsville is the site of the largest of the TVA dams, and Fort Knox houses all of the nation's gold bullion. All of this greatness had a common spawning ground the Bluegrass State, where the words thereof probably need more than anywhere else Kentucky. But the mardineer is at least as much a part of this state as man of war, and his struggle to survive, inherited from his father and his grandfather, is in the names he gives to the hollows where he lives, lonesome and troublesome and peevy. The spicuitiveness of men like this has made Kentucky a state famous for thoroughbreds of all kinds, and a state which continues to stand united.
Speaker 1: Calvin Bartok Elias Barry Calvin recovered from the gunshot wound inflicted by Aileen Farrell, and on his release from hospitalization, was deported from this country under the Subversive Act. Missus Farrell, in spite of her husband's vigorous efforts in her behalf, was tried as an accessory, convicted as charged, and sentenced to two years in women's prison. As for Paul Farrell himself. Substantiation of his wife's statements by your FBI provided his immediate release from twenty five thousand dollars bond. In Tonight's Story Elge Eric Wade, The Pight of Aileen Farrell, les daymon with Paul Farrell, and Bill Johnstone with Barry Colson. Let's radio domatization for the FBI in Vicon War was written by Jack Hanson Fink. These programs are produced and directed by Betty Mandeville. All names and characters used on the program are fictitious. Any similarity to the person's living or dead is curly coincidental. This program is based on Frederic L. Collins copyrighted books the FBI in Peace and War, and the broadcast does not imply endorsement, authorization, or approval by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. This is the United States Armed Forces Radio and Television Service and SA