Speaker 1: He'll be like Amy Beer, it's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for October thirty first, twenty twenty four. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mess Mornings Live with Me Jeff Grub Today Nintendo announced another very weird product and it's out now. But first please join me in welcoming today's co host to Game Mess Mornings. It's Jan A Shoa. Everybody, Jan how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Fantom had more layoffs. They laid off a bunch of people over at GameSpot. We lost a lot of friends, a lot of people we work with. I am very sad about it, and it was one that kind of caught us off guard. Like these tend to do Giant bomb mostly intact. Although what does that mean when we do lose so many people that we work with regularly? You know, we're here, We're going to keep making stuff. But yeah, I don't know, Jam, what do we say?
Speaker 2: We say that we're going to continue on and trying to do what we've been doing until the wheels fall off and they dead bolt the door. I do want to give a series of special shoutouts grub one of course, to our dear friend who was affected by the layoffs, Bailey Myers. Bailey Myers will forever be integral to the fabric of this website. No matter how long that she was had a presence here, her presence will be sorely missed.
Speaker 1: The absence will be noticeable.
Speaker 2: She was a fantastic part of this website. Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna miss her dearly. I know she's not dead, but it's.
Speaker 1: Just it becomes hard to work with people once they get laid off though. It just becomes tricky. So it's like, man, I would just love to make make that make sense. But yes, she's not dead, but boy, they just just gonna miss her a lot. Still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's online all over the place, So if you have the means to help support Bailey while she's in this transition period of looking for a new gig, please support Bailey. If you're watching the live chat, then several folks have posted all of her info different places you can go support Bailey. She's You've got a Patreon, go follow her on Twitch as well. And hey, if you know anyone that is looking for a fantastic writer, producer host. Your team will be exponentially better with Bailey Myers on your team. Additionally, I want to shout out the Game Spot video team often Grub, I think the most overlooked, yet the hardest working video team in games media.
Speaker 1: Very hard working.
Speaker 2: Already, they were already a very small team that put out so much content and did so much work. Unfortunately, their video team was greatly affected in these layoffs, and my heart obviously goes out to the folks laid off, but my heart definitely goes out to the team remaining, because hey, they put in obscene, obscene amounts of effort and work every single day, And yeah, I just care about that team a lot. I've worked alongside them for as long as I've been here, so I know how much they grind, and I know how much they care about this job. So I love that crew, and I hope, I hope that we can weather the storm together. Grub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, I mean, like you said, we'll be here till they kick us out. But yeah, it just becomes a little bit more difficult each time. You know, corporations have never made anything. It's always people that make things. So when you get a chance to work with great people. That's so much more important than than supporting you know, the place you work, which, hey, thanks for the money, but I like Bailey way more than you, so kind of looking around at you know how how I'm gonna feel about this going forward. It's you know, we'll bounce back the wounds heal, I guess, but I wish they would stop making it so difficult. I really do.
Speaker 2: We We do our job, and I think we do our job incredibly well, and we grub Specifically, on this show, we talk about layoffs a lot, so folks know our feelings on layoffs and who we may feel that the you know, I don't want to say enemy, but the antagonistic force may be versus the people that we care about. Yep, I can't believe they did this on Women's Day.
Speaker 1: All right, let's explain what we do here most weekdays. I, Jeff Greb will help piece your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you're watching live on twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for game Mes Mornings or find therss on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Nintendo Music announced for iOS and Android. It's a music streaming service exclusively for Nintendo Switch Online members. This is from sal Ramano at Kamatsu. Nintendo has announced Nintendo Music, a new application for iOS and Android featuring music from various Nintendo titles. It is available now via App Store and Google Play exclusively for Nintendo Switch Online members at no additional costs. So basically, you go to one of these app stores, you download it, you sign in with you're a Nintendo account that is associated with wherever you're paying the subscription fee, you know, twenty dollars a year, fifty dollars a year for the various tiers of Nintendo Switch Online, and that gets you access to this app. Which here's how it breaks down, like what it actually offers. With the Nintendo Music, you could stream songs right from the app or download them to the app for offline listening. It's it's you know, it's Spotify. Search for songs by game title, track name, playlist name, or even browse by screenshot. Need background music while you work or study, you can loop songs or extend select tracks to fifteen, thirty or sixty minutes for unit excuse me uninterrupted listening. Gee, I tried that out. That's a pretty neat thing. That's a neat feature. Yeah, yeah, that's pretty neat. Actually yeah, it's like they have a little bit of extra jus to put on this thing, and this is pretty neat. There's also no need to worry about game spoilers either, because you can filter out soundtracks that may spoil certain moments for you. When I did install this app, the first screen you get is a spoiler warning jam and then I was just like, you all have gone too far. You've gone too far now. To be fair, some of the tracks are accompanied with screenshots that maybe show key moments, but come on, what are we talking about now? To be fair, that the fact that you could filter out songs and screenshots that might potentially spoil a game another kind of neat feature that they have. But boy, that's a weird obsession. But give like, leave it up to Nintendo. To think about that.
Speaker 2: Sure, I can't say when I'm listening to any type of music on my phone or other mobile device, I'm actively looking at the art that is associated with the track. But I guess thanks to Nintendo.
Speaker 1: I guess sure, thanks Nintendo is maybe what we should be saying to them for everything they've been doing, right like in this last few weeks, I guess, thank you, grub.
Speaker 2: This is my conspiracy theory because they Nintendo doesn't want to give me a watch. I think they are trying to get out all of the miscellaneous announcements and different bits and bobs that they have made for this specific generation out of the way now, so then they can unload and just do the switch to without any of this miscellaneous stuff that they've been working on in the background looming over them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels a little bit like, you know, maybe not garbage day, right, but like definitely like hey, like it feels like fall cleaning. It feels like, hey, we got some big plans for the next year. We got we got out of you know, the summer doldrums or in the fall, we got to start making some preparations and some moves to make sure we are good and lean and ready to go when next year gets here and we actually have a new system. I think you're right. I mean it definitely feels that way. A lot of these things. Fee feel like, hey, these are products that we've been working on for a while, when when do they make sense? Well, we ran out of that time. Now, we just got to do it now because it will make less sense when we are in the full bore sprint of launching switch To and then supporting which is going to be a year's long process of that being the focus.
Speaker 2: Like, uh, no offense to Alarmo. But I think Alarmo would have just would have been forgotten about had it been announced post a switch To announcement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think you know, Nintendo fans are especially thirsty right now, so like there's that side of it where it's a hey, anything new from Nintendo has a little bit of extra shine to it because we're all so antsy for what's next once switch To is here and satiates that a bit. Yeah, I think you're right that, like something like the Alarmo gets you know, it still sells to the freaks like me, but it gets covered up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: It's Uh, it's entertaining also because Greb, in my head, I am thinking that Nintendo has had all these things in the pipeline ready to go, just waiting for the right time to drop it. I think I think there may also be a fire sale of like, hey, does anyone have a quick idea that we can just pump out the baby because people are itching for Nintendo.
Speaker 1: I yet, I mean not a bad point because they I mean again, according to the reporting, the switch to was maybe originally supposed to come out around this time, or at least that was one of the considered options at Nintendo, and then internally they moved it from around this time to next year and like kind of later into next year now now based on what we've heard from them, So yeah, maybe like okay, we have a little bit of an opportunity here to do some stuff. Who's got a project that's not that they've been working on that they can maybe get ready? And here we are.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now I'm thinking about especially all the different headlines that have come out of Nintendo in terms of like odd announcements like the online test for example, like why be so cagy and mysterious about it? Well, maybe it's just something that was a little half baked and that they you know, just kind of want to slowly get out the door before the switch to proper mm hm and generate some type of excitement.
Speaker 1: Now, it's Nintendo Music is not as fully featured in terms of having into No music as my YouTube music appuh, which I have because I YouTube premium. That just people just upload all kinds of stuff to there. Now that might change. Nintendo could decide to start copyrighting, copyright striking a lot of that stuff. But you know, I'm listen, I'm okay with using the Nintendo Music app here there. I have my own ways of accessing that, accessing that music if I really want to listen to it. But you know, it has something like twenty four soundtracks. I don't know, It's not like some massive number. Yet they say they're gonna add more, but they don't have some massive number. There's like, you know, three nes games and one or two Super Nintendo games, things like that. Like it's got Donkey Kong Country, doesn't have Donkey Kong Country too, which has you know, an equally incredible soundtracks. Shout outs to Sticker Brush Symphony, a song equally as good as aquatic ambience, so you know, this being Nintendo's own siloed thing, you kind I think I was expecting them to like go a little bit more of like recognizing that you need a little bit more songs to make this feel like valuable. But I don't know, maybe not, maybe that maybe if they're just like going after fans and the fans won't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like to see how this eventually evolves and grows. I guess I will go check this out, despite also having YouTube Premium and a Spotify account where there is lots of music uploaded everywhere grub yep, absolutely and but YouTube and Spotify don't give me spoiler warnings.
Speaker 1: That's true. You can you can search for the extended ten hour version of some of these songs so they listen. It might be even better on YouTube in some ways. But uh yeah, I'm I'm like, will I care in a couple of weeks if they announced serious of some new songs, I will be surprised if I'm still like actively using this app, But right now it's a novelty. I'll keep booting up for a little bit. I think is the we shop music there? We shop music is in fact there.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, well grab I'm gonna buy two phones and then download this app. It won't do anything, but I need it.
Speaker 1: You can like yeah, synk them up and stuff like that. Get your get your own stereo system going there. That could be fun. Yeah, it like, does this make it more likely that anyone stay subscribed to Nintendo switch online? Obviously that seems to be like the thinking like you added a little bit of value to that, But I don't know if that really makes a difference. For like, no one was subscribing to Nintendo switch Online thinking I hope they add a bunch of extra features outside of me playing video games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's a fun bonus, right, Yeah, it doesn't hurt, It doesn't hurt. And sure it's it's a.
Speaker 1: Okay yeah, sure, yeah whatever, I'll take this. I'll take this toy with my happy meal that I probably don't even care or care about or want. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like when a friend overcorrects on a problem. Yeah, it's like, oh you did it. Oh okay, okay, cool, thank you. Yes, So I'll take this this weird gift. Sure, I'm glad you. Oh you made this yourself. Okay, very very cute, nice, nice.
Speaker 1: We'll see. Nintendo historically very weird with releasing their soundtracks, so I guess any movement on that front is welcome. You know, Nintendo typically, especially outside of Japan, has not released their soundtracks commercially because there's some mechanical license thing where once you do that, then people can cover your songs legally, and Nintendo doesn't like that because they're so weird. I don't know if that. I don't know if this changes that. The fact that they've made it available, like there was some streaming service now, is that account as a release. I would think it would, but I don't know the wall well enough to understand that. But I guess any sort of thawing of the ice on Nintendo and their soundtracks is some movement that I think is good.
Speaker 2: I when we visited Packs West two years ago and we stopped by that Nintendo section, I really did enjoy that super Mario Big Band oh yeah stuff doing covers of Mario songs. If something like that gets rolled out onto this, that'd be also super cool. Just having that on a loop would be neat. I don't know, like h officially licensed Nintendo covers or whatever. Maybe ed Sheeran and his Pokemon songs will also be on this.
Speaker 1: Now, Oh well, don't forget about Posty. Oh right, Posty, don't forget about Posty and his Pokemon songs. I'm like, I'm gonna check Nintendo. I like because like the last time they did something similar to this, it was a music soundtrack listening feature in Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, Right, is the entire Smash Brother's Ultimate Soundtrack in here? Because if that, if it is, that's a lot of songs right there, I'm gonna say it probably isn't Let's see smash bro not Snack Brothers, snash Bros.
Speaker 2: That's what they call us.
Speaker 1: Yep, no, no, no results at all. Also for smash Bros in the app. So yeah, it's like, okay, at add that please? I mean, now, I know a lot some of those songs are covers of other people's music, but you know, the cover law exists for a reason, so you can put that stuff out there and you just got to share a little bit of the revenue. Will you'd be willing to Would you be willing to do that? I would hope so, and so yeah that if they think about that soundtrack and make it a little bit more easily accessible, then you know, I guess I have. That's the one I have on my Plex server because it's so good and I just listened to it all the time. But if you make it easy to access to access for a lot of other people, that could make a move there. That's a really good soundtrack. All right, let's move along here. Stick with Nintendo for the next couple of stories. Nintendo Subsidi, a Nintendo subsidiary, isn't actually laying off employees, despite rumors to the contrary. At least that's according to this headline from Victoria Kennedy at Eurogamer. Nintendo subsidiary Mario Club Company Limited isn't laying off employees. Earlier this week, a report from Japanese outlet League Press claimed Mario Club Company Limited was letting go of approximately one hundred and fifty of its four hundred employees. It was said said It was said the layoffs were happening across various groups within the company. However, in the time since this initial report, Nintendo has debunked these claims. In a statement provided to Eurogamer, a Nintendo spokesperson spokesperson said, we have confirmed with Mario Club Company Limited that the rumored information and the report is untrue. Mario Club Company Limited is a game testing and debugging team for many of Nintendo's games. Its recent credits include Luigi's Mansion, two HD, Princess Peach, Showtime, and Super Mario Brothers Wondered to just name a few. Apparently, like the original reporting here said that this was maybe a little bit similar, but not exactly the way Nintendo or a lot of Japanese companies do it, where they put people into rooms, eviction rooms and just set them there until they quit. But that like, apparently the Nintendo or this Mario Club company was doing something akin to that, and now that's maybe not the case, or maybe Nintender's are like, well, we're not laying them off for not firing anybody, but we are maybe still putting them in weird rooms. I don't know exactly how to read this. I'll say it did seem maybe not exactly like Nintendo's style, but I don't know. They tend to just like hire so slowly that they never really have much of a need to lay people off, And I would bet that they would need a lot of testing and debugging as they get ready to launch the Switch to right.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I would assume that is absolutely essential, especially if this has been like a subsidiary team, and that they would need like a lot of work going on to check these other games, especially if whatever ab team is working on the first party titles or even just like the inner workings of the Switch too. You would need that so port especially with this like looming in the background. I can't imagine that something like Alarma or this Nintendo music app is requiring many resources, So I would assume that those everyone is hands up, hands on deck at Nintendo for the Switch to Also, I guess how much of like would Nintendo's developing team be involved with a museum. I can't imagine much, if at all. It's also this whole concept of quiet quitting rooms. I would live in there. I would live in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah for real. I wonder, like, I'm sure it's like a lot of it's cultural, Like I'm sure there's some like shame involved that that like a lot of people to not accept it. But it's like, can you like read a book? Can I just go in there and read a book? I read a book. I'm like, like, put me in there. Can I can bring my game Boy Color, may play some play some video games.
Speaker 2: I would wear one of those hats with the happy ears and just hide my AirPods there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. Yes. I used to have, you know, the wired headphones that would go up through my shirt and then my hair would come down over here so no one.
Speaker 2: Could ever see.
Speaker 1: And they were black. It was a black cord. So I would wear my headphones during work all the time. Of course that would Yeah.
Speaker 2: I have raw Dog a flight before I could raw Dog work.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, I mean, listen, if it's if I can't do any of this and I just kind of stare, I would, I would. I would take some time and I would just stare and get paid. Sure. Ell yeah, let's get paid to stare. Now. That's not to sympathize with anybody who is dealing with that and hates it. Of course you might hate that and uh and that that sucks. It's weird. It's a weird thing that Japan does. But hey, also also weird is just laying off a bunch of people and saying, get the hell out of the door. Some big corporations are weird about you know about these things across the board. Now, maybe Nintendo isn't actually doing this. They're saying that the reporting is not accurate. So we'll see. I'm sure we'll kind of hear more about this if that's not the case. But in the meantime, sounds like Mario Mario Club Company Limited is going to continue as is. Okay, all right, let's see random from Nintendo Life. Someone's figured out how to run custom code on Nintendo's alarmo. This is from a lot of eggs. Look, it was only a matter of time before people started using the alarmo for things that aren't sleep or alarm clock related. And Gary oder Nixt, who usually works on reverse engineering the WEU, has figured out how to run custom code on the clock. Gary has done this without opening the clock up at all, just using the USB port. Now it's not that simple, of course, but Gary has gone into great detail in a blog post on what's actually inside the alarmo and how he managed to get custom code working. It's all a bit scientific, but the gist is that you need to decrypt the clock's firmware and upload it to an external USB and the clock tries to search for the file and subsequently subsequently can't find it. You'll be able to load any encrypted firmware binaries into the clock. We're oversimplified, oversimplifying it massively, so if you're interested in the process, make sure you check out Gary's blog for the whole process. Of course, the best part is that Gary demonstrated the custom code with a picture of a cat on the clock. So there you go. I'm like struggling to even imagine, like what custom home brew stuff people would want to put on the alarmo, But I bet people will think of some some things. I bet we get Doom running on alarmo here pretty soon, grub.
Speaker 2: I have no idea how any of this works. I appreciate this man's effort and time going into this. I'm going to ask him if he could perhaps connect an alarmo to a game scent shit, I bet it could. Yeah, I probably could. Yeah. Imagine just loading up your own sounds and then you are woken up by the beautiful voice and musical stylings of one Mike Manatti.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go. And then and then you just get a bunch of stench yeah, Mikey stench. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm thinking maybe we have a side business venture and we probably shouldn't be talking about this during work out. But say we buy a bunch of alarmos, we I guess.
Speaker 1: Jail break and break our alarmos.
Speaker 2: Sure, gosh, jail break your alarmo dot MP three and we load our own custom giant bomb sounds onto it.
Speaker 1: That would be fun. I have looked deeper into can the alarmo see your hog? And I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. So I'd be like, we could see your hog. We could see your hog. I think that'd be a good way to wake up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm trying to think of like what someone would use this technology for that's built into the alarmo, like we they try and make it better or use it for nefarious reasons.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, could you turn it into like yeah, like you know, there was the AI that could decode Wi Fi signals to basically turn any router into a surveillance camera. Could you do that with the alarmo? Maybe? I wonder what data is well, I mean, it doesn't matter what data is getting set to Nintendo. If the data exist on the alarmo, if it's capable of getting that stuff, someone could probably read it and understand it. And again that middle meter wave of technology that can see weapons through your clothes. At the airport, it could see everything under your clothes, and that the software they use the airport not to scare people. The software they use the airport doesn't show your hog. You're fine, everybody. It kinda is just like this outline, but the underlying technology is capable of just like seeing through materials. So yeah, I mean you could maybe do some weird, fun cool stuff with this. I don't know. Yeah, all right. Marvel's Wolverine creative director Brian Horton moves to Perfect Dark. This is from Sal Ramano at Gamatsu as well. Brian Horton. Who Okay, Brian Horton. I was gonna make a here's a who joke, but the first word was who there, and it threw me off. So let's just move on. Brian Horton, who was who was announced as the creative director of publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Insomniac Games Marvel Wolverine in twenty twenty one, has been off the project since summer and is now the creative director of publisher Xbox Game Studios and developer the initiatives Perfect Dark. According to a game File report Marvel's Wolverine is now held by creative director Marcus Smith, which is a Sony Interactive Entertainment representative. Confirmed to Game File, Mike Daily will also now serve as a game as game director in place of the previous director, Cameron Christian, who remains it Insomniac Games, but in a different role. Basically a lot of musical chairs here, but for me, it's like always like, oh, okay, creative director kind of joining in the last you know, since summer. That mean does that mean that game's still far off? And it's like one of the last we heard about Perfect Dark? You know, I remember I had that couple of rumors. It's like, hey, think there's I feel like there's trouble. And then you know, I looked a little bit more into it and was like, no, the game's going pretty well overall. Sure, some people are like encountering problems, but it's the normal game development stuff. But overall, like everyone seems really positive on where Perfect Dark is. This game should come out on time, whatever that means is that next year or not. It's like how much more creative directing is left? And I suppose that's the kind of thing that happens up until the very end, right, So if even if there's like a year left on scheduled, it's like, oh, yeah, that's a year of work you would want to creative director working out. But you know, bringing in someone from the outside instead of moving someone up from internally from the team that maybe understood all the ins and outs of the game. Does that say anything to you? I'm like, not sure if it does.
Speaker 2: I'm not one hundred percent sure either, Grub. I feel like the term of creative director can be somnambulous sometimes when it comes to game development, Like does the creative director have a hand at all in any marketing or promotional materials? Do they have a hand in how the game is being presented internally to the company? And it does feel especially odd to bring someone completely from a different team rather than move someone up. But it does seem like an odd move to have someone joined so late. I was initially when reading through the story, I was kind of worried about both games at this point.
Speaker 1: Well, we can get over to Wolverine here in a second. What why are you worried about? Why are you worried about both games?
Speaker 2: Well, worries about joining this late in perfect dark developmental cycle, right, which.
Speaker 1: Again it's like such a black box game development. We don't know what it means to join so late quote unquote, but I have the same gut reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then with Wolverine, because game development is so nebulous and in such a black box. Does that mean it is in a place where you can hand it off to someone or does the work like ninety percent of the way there and someone just has a touch up on it? Or is there still a lot of work to be done where you can make that transition and that pivot now versus later down the line where it could like really really affect the game. Also, you know, making minute adjustments from like top to bottom at this point has got to be very hard to do. Grub from my loose, loose, loose understanding of game development.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've definitely seen before games bring in high level developed you know, senior developers to work on games and like the last six months before it comes out, and every time people are like, Okay, what does this mean for the game? Is does this mean bad things? And in most cases my understanding is no, this is normal moving around these things happen, and the village of people that are raising this game sort of have a continuity that they are able to incorporate new people, even at the very highest level into and they you know, while they might not miss a or they might miss a beat, sure things might get missed, overall, the momentum of the project will continue in the direction it was always meant to go. And the creative director, even a creator rector director, can come in, excuse me, and have their input, but they are going to have their input on what everyone has already been working on for a very long time. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd have to assume a creative director joining this late, specifically in the perfect dark case is more so maybe just coming from like a managerial aspect rather and there has to be I would hope certain things that are set in stone that can't or shouldn't change at this point.
Speaker 1: Right, it's probably then the knitting together of everything, right, like, like we have all of these disparate parts that you know, we know need to fit together, Like what what is the best way, what's the most effective way, the funnest way to get all this stuff to fit together? So that makes mix the best game possible, and again heard relatively good things about Perfect Dark last time, so it's like, oh, maybe this is like, hey, we feel really good about this. Can we get in a top tier creative director to get it from good? Because this stuff does happen in gaming where if you go watch the you know, the Gottaward documentary where you know, Shoue a Yoshida shows up, it's like, this game ain't fun. I don't like playing this game. You guys got to figure this out. And then everyone's like, yeah, we we know, we know, and then they work on the game, to work on it, work on it, and they're like, okay, we have a couple of months. Can we get this thing all all together? And it's like it comes together in that last moment where oh, this feels like a game you can put out and people will really like. So, you know, I think believing in your game and saying okay, let's bring in someone that can really get this across the finish line, maybe it's a good sign for the game overall. And then ye for Wolverine, it's like, you know, sometimes you lose a creative director because some other company offered more money, and it could be as simple as that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they just needed someone to double check all the fonts and make sure they were cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sorry, people are complaining about my costume. Let me just let me do this real quick.
Speaker 2: Oh no, audio listeners, Jeff Grubb is is donning on a blue Oh no, Jeff Grubb has left the building. Bat Grub is now taken over game mess. There you go that you just had that on you? Huh yeah, always you.
Speaker 1: Don't no your pocket.
Speaker 2: I'm always wearing the Spider Man James.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, there you go. Audio listeners, Jane is Spider Man and I've got the cow on now.
Speaker 2: Cow.
Speaker 1: Got to get those consonants out a little bit better. People think I'm saying my my bees when I'm saying my peas. It's bad. All right, let's take a quick break. When we get back, plenty more to talk about, including Toby Fox promising more Delta in right after this. All right, let's get back into it, and Toby Fox says, Delta Rune chapter three and four will one hundred percent come out in twenty twenty five. This is from Liam Dulan at Nintendo Life, following an update on the status of chapter five recently. Game developer Toby Fox has now shared some news about chapter three and four of Delta Rune and a brief message via social media. He's now officially confirmed that chapter three and four will one hundred percent arrive next year in twenty twenty five. This is also factoring in the localization process as well as console parting. There's no specific release date, but there you go, folks. You'll you'll just have to wait until next year for the next two chapters and possibly even beyond for the rest of Delta Rune. Yeah. I really like Undertail. I enjoyed what I played of that. I beat that. I didn't like do the Pacivist Run or anything like that, but I enjoyed what I played. I never never have not touched Delta Run, and I like, I've not heard like as much about it as as Undertail. But my understanding is most people are like, no, I really enjoy this. Sure I might. I wish it was all right right here right now, but I'm happy we're getting more stuff from Toby Fox. Is have you ever played any deltaoine? Did you ever play Undertail?
Speaker 2: So Grubb, we talk a lot about parts of the Internet kind of being too scary and gatekeepy, Yeah, to penetrate, And not that the fandom behind Undertail has specifically been scary. They just seem very spirited.
Speaker 1: About it and often scary.
Speaker 2: Yes, where I've been a little bit hesitant to fully dive in. I know a lot of people have very high praises to share about Undertail. It's always been in my back pocket, in my pile of shame to check out. But Delta Run also continues to be like an ongoing project where whenever I hear about it, I'm like, all right.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go Toby Fox Toby Fox music, which hey equally is good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, more so for my friends out there that are super into it. Ben Pack a big Undertail fan, very much into Delta Rune chapter one. Also for folks make waiting to make the pivot to jump over to Blue Sky versus Twitter, Toby Fox is a fun follow. He's kind of a shit poster over there.
Speaker 1: Oh really, okay, fantastic, I'll follow him. Jen, you would really like Undertail.
Speaker 2: I've heard that you would have heard that you would really you would really jive with it.
Speaker 1: I think all right, let's just keep it rolling. Then Capcom sells more games on PC than all the other consoles combined. This is from Jonas Mackiat Game Reactor. Few Japanese developers have adopted such an explicit multi format strategy and invested so heavily in pcus Capcom, and this has apparently paid off handsomely. The company has now shared its report for the first half of the fiscal year, which revealed something very interesting. It turns out that Capcom's total sales this year just over twenty million units. Fifty four percent of that comes from PC, which means that the format is bigger than the PlayStation, Switch and Xbox combined. In fact, these three formats only account for forty percent of capcom sales. Corresponding PC figure from last year was forty eight percent per Capcom, which shows that the consoles are not catching up either, but actually declining in market share. Next year also sees the release of Monster Hunter Wilds, and the Monster Hunter series is extremely popular on PC. It's growing in popularity on PC. Remember I mean Monster Under Wilds took eight months to go from console to PC, and a lot of people are like, well, I'm just gonna wait for the PC version this next one wild Yeah. World that was World, Yes, the next one, Wilds, it's launching day and date on PC, and so there will be no issue there and people will just show up for that. And you know, Rise came out between, but that was on Switch first. So this is the first one that's going to be like just right there, ready to go on PC. And so this growth of PC for Capcom seems like it's only going to continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent, especially with PC gaming becoming slowly but surely ever more accessible to people with a Steam deck. The Asis Roger, I can't wait for Monster on a Wild to release on PC grub. I know Mike spoke on the BombCast earlier this week about it not running the best on PS five.
Speaker 1: On the base PS five.
Speaker 2: That's right, right, I'm sorry the base PS five. So I'm definitely excited to check it out later tonight once the beta opens up on PC. I also hope this opens the door for more Capcom games coming out on PC grub. We've talked constantly about the treasure trove of IP that Capcom has has been holding on to y'all at Capcom. Just just bring it out, dogs.
Speaker 1: Yep, just do it all. Just do it all now, Capcom seems to be sort of establishing the playbook here. These other companies that are following in its footsteps. It feels like Konami, Square Inx they got to been like, man, we should not have dragged our feet on this, especially Square Inox, right. I mean, their games do come out on PC, but a little bit of a delay and there's a little bit less fanfare when they release Final Fantasy sixteen on PC way later. It's got I mean, they've got to be looking at it like, man, if had we released Final Fantasy sixteen on PS five and PC at the same time, you know, leave Xbox out of it, whatever, that would have been much more cost effective in terms of capitalizing on both launches with our marketing. And now we've released it way later, and I don't know, Final Fantasy sixteen is on PC now, right, And this was a few weeks ago, and most people don't seem to care. And now part of that is, you know, the game has this weird reputation. But again, I think if they had they just launched it all at once, would have made a huge difference. And you know, Square Innix is looking for ways to make more money. It's like, well, you should be doing what Capcom's doing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. I wish a lot of different publishers across the board would look at what Capcom is doing and understand that making good games and games that people want is what the people want. Yeah, real quick? Yeah, also, I feel like, real, real quick, please, Sega, I feel like has slowly started to feel like the Capcom of this year. They figured it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, absolutely, I mean there, you know, I have a hard argument or hard time argument against the idea that Sega is publisher of the year. Like they have just crushed it with every release, multiple big releases too, gigantic RPGs in like a Dragon Infinite Wealth and Metaphor Refound Asio let alone, a remake with Persona three reload, and then and then you know a ton of other games. If they released a good Sonic game.
Speaker 2: A good Sonic game, y'all, shadow is relevant once again?
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, I forget what I was gonna say. And that's fine.
Speaker 2: It was really quick. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's okay, no, no, no, no problem, it wasn't important anyhow. All right. Let's see here. PS five slim plates won't work with the PS five Pro despite being the same size. That's weird. This is from Ethan Gotch at Kotaku. The PS five Pro launch is still over a week away, but fans have already made an annoying discovery. The new console won't work with the players existing custom cover plates. Sony will eventually sell new ones, but those won't be available until sometime in the future. This weird wrinkle was uncovered by a Reddit user who shared it shared it in a post that is that has since gone viral on the PlayStation subreddit. I had some cobalt blue plates, so I decided to try them on the Pro and I can confirm the bottom plates match the Slim. However, the top plates do not match because while they're physically the same size, the teeth that connect them to the system are in slightly different places. They wrote, Well, they didn't share an image of the PS five Pro itself, which isn't supposed to be officially out until November seventh. They did show comparisons of the Pro and Slim plates. Well, the bottom plates fit fits. You could see where the difference is in the plastics. Plastic locking pieces differ between the two consoles. It's I mean, do you think there's a chance they did this on purpose, just to like force people to have to buy different plates. Yeah, I mean right, how hard can it been to figure out like a little bit of extra engineering to put the locking pieces in the same place. Come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Also, I think their justification is going to be, well, this is the PS five Pro. You shouldn't be putting base PS five plates on this. It's gonna affect the performance. I don't think it would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, it's frustrating because you know that these two consoles, the Slim and the Pro, were in the works at the exact same time. That's always going back to the rumors, like originally we never ever heard about the Slim with out hearing about the Pro at the same time. So Sony was designing these things in concert with one another, and so it's hard to imagine this as anything other than deliberate. If they come out and say there's some engineering reason, I would maybe hear them out, but I highly doubt it. And it's so weird because God, these plates would just like people would just buy the plates as just like at the same rate, even if they worked on both consoles. I feel like they would buy them more. What is the thinking here?
Speaker 2: I don't know what the thinking is grub other than making like an extra ten twenty dollars for charging for PS five pro plates versus base PS five.
Speaker 1: Sure they're label as pro plates, Okay, so they could charge a little bit more. That's my opic thinking. That's silly. They shouldn't. They shouldn't do things that way. That is only going to annoy and frustrate people. We all kind of get what you're doing there, and I don't think you're actually gonna sell all that much more or make that much more of a profit margin because you're doing this.
Speaker 2: It uh, it is putting more of a bad taste in my mouth. In fact, Yeah, with how Sony has been handling the rollout of the PS five pro, let me get the cool gray one, y'all.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's I've given up that dream. I'm just gonna make my own. I'll just go go get a pro and paint it. Although I'm I'm still not pre ordered a pro. Maybe maybe once it's here and it's like right there in front of me and I could like have it like instantly, and maybe I'll make that decision at that point. But seven hundred dollars and uh, that's a lot of money. And well, yeah, sure, Wilds is not gonna run great on it. Most things you run just fine on PS five And I'm gonna play Wilds on my PC anyhow So yeah, uh so I don't know. I are you in the in any chance going to be getting a pro anytime soon?
Speaker 2: I can't say that. I am rub Jordan uh. And I Jordan from GameSpot, not Middler uh. And I checked out the PS five Pro and it does make games look more gorgeous, sure, but it feels at this point a recommend for someone that hasn't already picked up a PS five rather than someone that is like looking to upgrade their base PS five. And I hate, hate, hate grub that we're going to start saying base PS five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's driving It drives me crazy. I wish we were not living that life right now. Yeah, I think, Uh, what's really gonna happen is if a lot of developers start taking huge advantage of the pissar technology, because that seems to be the real secret weapon of the PS five pro. Well, yeah, it's more it's more powerful in terms in raw terms of processing that they has a better GPU. But it really does sound like PSSR is a huge is a game changer, and developers are gonna like still learning what they are going to be able to pull off and get games to like look really good while still running at a very high frame rate. And I'm looking forward to that and if enough games take advantage of it, that's the kind of thing that could get me on board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say, folks at home, I know that this website is notorious for being a giant Horizon hater. Horizon looked mighty mighty fine.
Speaker 1: I bet it did.
Speaker 2: It's really a Kiss five pro looked very pretty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember what I was gonna mention a second ago. It's like it was off topic anyhow. So it capcom is. You know, they're on a roll, right, They're they're on a role doing things in a certain way, and they are now trying to, like, I think, try some new stuff with you know, after Dragon's Dogma two went open World, it took the ri Engine open World, and now Monster Hunter Wilds is doing the same thing. It's it's the open world Monster Hunter at least open zone, and both those games. Dragon's Dogma had some performance issues. It sounds like Wild will have similar performance issues because the Ari Engine is struggling to figure out open world stuff. They're struggling to get that technology to work in bigger spaces. That I mean, is that a trade off that that you're willing to make because open world it adds enough of a flare to the games that Capcom is making, or you think that this is potentially something that could be like an albatross around the Engine's neck.
Speaker 2: I think it might be an albatross grub because I think the way that Monster Hunter players have been conditioned is to just transition from a zone of the map to a different zone of the map.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're accustomed to that for sure.
Speaker 2: But I do, do, however, see that to get more players in because it work with worlds of like having that semi open map separate from your base camp attracting a lot of players. So Capcom may be trying to appeal to the wider audience that they that they captured during the Most Hunter war world is run.
Speaker 1: I think it makes sense for MONSTERHUNNERD. The thing I think the rumor is is so that part of this new Ari Engine trilogy is Dragon's Dogma two. Then Monts dun A Wilde's open world open world, and then the next open world Ari Engine game is going to be Resident Evil nine. And it's like, listen, I'm willing to see mean personally, that sounds exciting. A more open Resident Evil. What does that mean? What does that look like? Does that create opportunities for emergent gameplay? I bet it does? Could be very cool, but I don't know if that's what the fandom wants. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine honestly, though, grub that everything would be open world.
Speaker 1: No, No, it would just be more open, right. There's still gonna be the bespoke haunted mansion somewhere, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then like yeah, there'd be a hole that you fall down and now you're in like a sewer level of sorts, or like this is the specific open zone area with like a lake that you're navigating with a boat.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, I think that's that's right. So they'll make it work, and it's the Capcom Resident Evil teams. They're gonna make a good game. I'm sure they are, but there will be a trade off with performance, and you know the reality is maybe they make improvements because this will be the third iteration on this now, So maybe it'll it'll run pretty well there, and or maybe it's just been waiting for PS five Pro and that'll make all the difference, all right. Black Ops six launch was the biggest Call of Duty release ever. Microsoft claims. This is from Tom Ivan at VGC. Call of Duty. Black Ops six has enjoyed a blockbuster launch. According to Microsoft, The latest entry in Activision's shooter series was released on October twenty five for Xbox Series X and S, Xbox one, PS five, PS four, and PC Man that think still runs on the Xbox One VCR. That's I forgot about that. Notably, it was also the first Call of Duty to be available in game Pass on day one. Microsoft CEO Satia Nadella touched on the game's early performance during Microsoft's first quarter earnings call on win Wednesday. He said last week's launch of Black Ops six was the biggest Call of Duty release ever, setting a record for day one players, as well as game Pass subscriber ads on launch day. UH and unit sales on PlayStation Steam were also up over sixty percent year over year. This speaks to our strategy of meeting gamers where they are by enabling them, enabling them to play more games across the screens they spend their time on.
Speaker 2: Activision.
Speaker 1: Blizzard drove a forty three percent jump in Microsoft's revenue during Microsoft's first quarter, the company said earlier earlier today. Yeah, so it's I mean, sixty percent increase on PlayStation and Steam. Now did the last one launch just straight up on Steam? I think it did. Yeah. So yeah, people just are crazy for black Ops, I guess. And that's huge. And then like, of course, I think we were expecting the increase of game pass subs. That goes without saying, but it sounds like, you know, the biggest increase they've seen in a very long time, if not ever, I don't know. It sounds like Call of Duty is doing what Call of Duty was supposed to do for Microsoft, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this seems like a known quantity. I'm glad that this seems to be hitting with a Call of Duty audience. Grub, you, Sean Christian, and Minatti. We're playing this after game mess on Tuesday evening.
Speaker 1: I really really enjoyed myself that the game is very fun. It really is, and that's good to hear, especially from like Grub. You've talked extensively about your history with Call of Duty, so I'm I'm happy for y'all. Yeah, yeah, I don't need two thousand hours Call of Duty back in my life at any point in time, but I'm I'm happy that I could still get some enjoyment out of it. And it's you know, the skills are still mostly there, still got that one point for ish kDa. Hey, there we go. I'll be happy. I'll be proud about that. Kill them.
Speaker 2: The muscle memory still there, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's multiple multiple facets here. Clearly, I think the game is hitting the audience the way the audience was like looking to be hit, like this is the game they were hoping for. In most cases out there all it was going to be people that have issues with it. But the game is good, and then the game pass side of it is working, and the game pass side of it is then not like completely detracting from the sales on other platforms. People that want to play this on Steam and PlayStation are still doing that and more so than last year, and then it's increasing game pass. It's hard to argue with the sati Ina Della strategy of let's just make sure these things are everywhere, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like a no brainer that you would sell more copies if you just sell more copies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like there's so they can't do this. They've made legal arrangements with various regulators around the world, but clearly it's like, oh, there was no real option that would have made sense to make this exclusive Xbox, right, that feels like it would have been crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's there's no way grub that the Black Ops six are a new Call of Duty only launching on Xbox platforms and not even PC would be successful at all.
Speaker 1: Yes, even being if it was PC and Xbox, it's like that would just be it just wouldn't make any sense. Like there was a reason they didn't. They felt the need that they felt that they could make that an agreement because it's like, yeah, we're just gonna keep releasing that everywhere they have and it's worked better than maybe they even anticipated. So you know this is growing game pass, sure, but but you know called duty is making money because it's called duty, not because it's growing game pass like that like that that's also that also equally true when they have something work this way. Do you think that this like continues to change the focus away from game Pass and on these big marquee platform games that exist outside of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've it feels like game Pass is like their plan C that is like constant. It's like a passive that's always running grub of Like, yeah, we're gonna keep addressing that. Sometimes we don't need to say it, but like let's just do the big thing of putting the game out everywhere. Also, Greb, I'd have to assume that Black Op six not having any other type of competitive shooter, multiplayer competitive shooter this year is a gigantic factor in factoring into the sales, Like it just it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't really have any competition on that tier anymore at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the Fortnite audience feels different enough from the audience mort Zone has.
Speaker 1: To deal with that for sure, But there are people who just want to Like they've been playing Call of Duty and spend sixty to seventy dollars on it every year for twenty years now, They're going to keep doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're going to keep doing that, especially like you know, there's no Battlefield this year. There's no other major multiplayer shooter popping off yesterday we were talking about how Apex is declining, But Apex isn't necessarily a competitor to Call of Duty proper.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's yeah like that, they're just they're in that only they're free to play shooter realm and yeah, that can take people's time for sure. But Call Duty is actually it sits above those and in its own stratus here in many ways. So I mean, like Fortnite never sold a million like copies, like the way that Call Duty did. It had the free to play version. That that's what really popped off, and Call of Duty is like kind of alone in being this massive blockbuster shooter franchise every year, the way Battlefield couldn't. The Medal of Honor obviously couldn't like yeah, like Call Duty on its own.
Speaker 2: Boam Stars couldn't.
Speaker 1: Bolm Stars got close, got pretty close. All right, let's wrap up the news headlines and let's get to the poll from yesterday. I have it right here there you go, Giant Bombs YouTube channel under the community to have you can find this. Do you want a Starfield too? Yes? Oh that's yester. Let me see right, that was yesterday. Let me were fresh air. There it is here we go, Okay, do you want Apex Legends too? It's a very similar question. I'm gonna say no, I'm actually I don't, and most people are gonna agree with that. Eighty seven percent say they do not want Apex Legends. Two thirteen percent said yes they do. Uh. There is a part of me that wonders when when people are answering that are like, well, no, I don't want Apex Legends too, because I want them to go back to make Titan Fall. But there's a lot of Apex Legends fans and I think they're happy to like just keep improving Apex Legends, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I rarely look at the comments of these polls because I forget that's a feature growth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are they saying?
Speaker 2: The common consensus is I don't want any Apex or they would prefer titan Fall. Three.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think in our audience especially, we're gonna get a lot of people who are like, give us that titan Fall and they're not They're not going to do that. They they were going to do it, and then they decided not to because God hates us. That's just how it goes sometimes. All Right, I got a new pole question. We'll get to that here in a second. Before we do that, though.
Speaker 2: Jan.
Speaker 1: A weird week. We're we're kicking out. We're putting some more stuff because we're just not in the mood to be too jokey. What is the plan for today, tomorrow and beyond.
Speaker 2: So for the rest of today, grab, you're gonna have a little costume quest stream, just play a little costume quest. Yeah, gonna chill, hang out. People may be popping in and out later today. There will not be a new voicemail dump truck. We will be uh rerunning an old one that I've yet to figure out which one we're gonna do. But tomorrow another episode of Games Mornings and Unprofessional Fridays will be uh. We're gonna have to do some adjusting. Uh and and maybe call an audible. Y'all were going to be out traveling. NICKI was also going to be out traveling, uh and one Bailey Myers was supposed to join me, but now it's just me, So maybe we'll just disassociate and play the Monster Hunter Wild Beta. Yeah, but that's after that though. But then after that though, Grub Saturday, folks, despite all the news popping off, we will be continuing on with tradition. Extra Life Weekend is this weekend. Stay tuned on Saturday because Dan, Mike Manatti, Jeff Grubb, Kayla, and Turbo Sean will be coming to you live from Dan's residence. That's right, the woodpeckers aren't the only thing banging on his door. Now, it's gonna be these hooligans for Extra Life going for how long?
Speaker 1: Grub Well, we're gonna start between noon and one I think Central time on Saturdays, with Dan is saying, and then we'll definitely be going for like at least twelve hours. But there's gonna be plenty of incentives, plenty of stretch goals. There is been talk of Kayle's bringing clippers they have, there's a karaoke machine. There might be some bad games as a potential stretch goal. There's just a lot of fun stuff that people should tune in for. And if you help, if you give, you gotta give, all right, give to the kids, and if you do, we'll get to we'll keep playing well into the night. And so yeah, could go as long as, like, you know, sixteen to twenty hours or something like that. We'll see.
Speaker 2: And then speaking about fun and giving, I'm gonna give myself a hard time. Grub. I thought about punting on this because I wasn't feeling too great based off of the news. But hey, for the children, grub.
Speaker 1: For the kids.
Speaker 2: Not immediately after these hooligans wrap up, but a little bit later.
Speaker 1: You got to give me time to get home so I can watch.
Speaker 2: The Quiet Jam twelve hour Quiet Man stream with me.
Speaker 1: Ja Are you doing this from home?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: You think I'm not opening discord?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like trying to. I think who we could send over to your house to like make.
Speaker 2: Noise, So Michael Him, Yeah, we go. Michael Him lives like a five minute bus ride away from me and he could easily pop in.
Speaker 1: All right, Well we'll send Hia maybe in there to cost some ruckus. It's gonna be a fun time, looking forward to doing some charity work. We're kind of surprised on kind of doing a lot of the stuff on our own, wet the help of a corporation. So but it's important to us. We are gonna pick up the pieces as best we can. Make it fun for everybody, and I'm looking forward to it. It's gonna be a good time. Really, I'm like I fly in. We basically eat dinner, I go to sleep, wake up, do this, and then I'm gonna be doing this until my flight basically on Sunday morning. So hey, I wouldn't have it any any other way. Looking forward to it, everybody. Yeah, all right, new pole question. Are you going to use Nintendo Music? Yes or no? Well, let's get the temperature of the kids out there, see what y'all are thinking. The results of that here on Game Mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow. That'll be back at the regular time. I can do that before I head out for the weekend over to Dan. So looking forward to that. In the meantime, though, Jan, I think we're wrapping up on this episode. You're ready to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Patreon dot com, slash Bailey Myers, yep.
Speaker 1: Support everybody. Well, we will keep retweeting everybody that is asking for help and mentioned that they got laid off. If we'll look for a job. We'll try to put that in as many people's feeds as possible. I'll keep your eyes open for that. Try to help them out where you can, anywhere, anywhere where it's possible. A lot of great people, a lot of great people, okay, Jan, thank you so much for talking with me about video games. Man, I really appreciate it, especially on a day like this.
Speaker 2: I'm very tempted to say some bad stuff, but it's okay. It's a great way to sorry Thursday, Greb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you everybody for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself, and goodbye.