Speaker 1: Welcome to my world.
Speaker 2: Bitch, wow god good here.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the one hundred and seventy eighth episode of the Supernatural Occurrent Studies podcast.
Speaker 3: So Astrologically Paranormal.
Speaker 1: Good one. My name is Jason Knight, host of this show, and with me as always is Oscar Spector, producer extordinaire and podcast co host. Did you have a little hiccup there? A little no?
Speaker 3: I wanted to give you a pause. Oh so you can freak out because you're waiting for me to say it, So you can just get right into the next line.
Speaker 1: That's right. So I was trying to throw me off my Yeah, I am. That's all right, That's all right. I feel like I'm off tonight. This is This is a long one, but a good one. What has been up with you man since last month? Catchup month?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so I got that tattoo. I mentioned that I was going to get. Uh Furthermore, there was a discussion we were having while I was at getting my first tattoo, because I've gone two this year, and just two I will be getting until next year and after my first. I got my first one in at the Chicago Villain Arts Tattoo convention, And while I was there, the artist that was doing that tattoo, that was doing mine had his brother, who was also an artist the booth right next to him, and he was offering It's crazy, Yeah, this is crazy. He was offering free, like twenty minute sessions, free paint tattoos. The taint, you know what I mean, it's the space between your asshole and your genitals. That's the one right the landing strip. There's many calls or not the landing stripe that's but the runway right to the ass hole. So he was offering them for free. It wasn't for like the whole day or anything, but it was such a such a weird left turn to know this like thing that this guy was doing.
Speaker 1: I was seeing.
Speaker 3: I mean I couldn't see very well from because I was getting tattooed, but before doing my break or whatever, I would see him and wide open in front. It wasn't no curtains. Wow, you know, just like you would just doing.
Speaker 1: Them, So you saw people getting their taint.
Speaker 3: I didn't like to go in there and see, but yes they were doing it.
Speaker 1: Yes they were in front of garden everybody.
Speaker 3: And had I either done this, had I anticipated it or had my artists finished early, which of course I'm not going to rush my artist. I would have gotten one.
Speaker 1: You were going to do it.
Speaker 3: So I told a guy like, I want to get one.
Speaker 1: That's what we were going to talk about. Because the show last time, you didn't want to.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to because I did in case. I didn't do it at that time because there was that weekend that we were recording, and I'd gotten in an extra free ticket to come the next day, the last day of that convention, and the brother was an offered free tank tattoos. The next day is tanink tattoos and the guy want for the best worst tattoo in like a year or something.
Speaker 1: That's worst. That's funny.
Speaker 3: Him and his other artist friend they tattooed each other's taints and that's how they won.
Speaker 1: That's get together and do podcasts. Some people get together and they write tattoo their taints.
Speaker 3: I think it's great. I mean, if they're not bonded for life, I don't know what bonds you. I don't know what does it better than that? So my idea for what I wanted to get is to have the word love or something love. So it could be a tainted love like the song that's what I wanted to get it's perfect.
Speaker 1: Jay, whereas the show going and just like it's a perfect could we put in a clip of that.
Speaker 3: I almost couldn't contain myself. I was supposed to be still that I was. I almost cann't contain myself with glee at the idea that I might get a taint tattoo, which is so impulsive, something like something I would I'd never imagined getting. By the way, it's not like a I've been looking for a taint artic.
Speaker 1: I forget it even exists, right, But it was.
Speaker 3: Such an impulsive thing that I was so yes for because it's so unique and literally only the people that know me best will ever get to see it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's great, it's a cocktail story, it's great, it works on so many levels.
Speaker 1: But tainted love, yes, God, yes. So to be clear for the audience, you did not get your taint tattooed?
Speaker 3: No, because because he was he was done offering it. He was doing regular sessions by appointment that he had money. Yeah, right, yes, so he wasn't offering it and I didn't go next day because I just felt like shit, I just didn't feel like getting out of the house. I think I depleted all my social networking that I wanted to do.
Speaker 1: All the people was on a.
Speaker 3: Saturday, you know, because I because after that tattoo, I also came to see you raf, so like I was like, oh, it's been out all day. I don't want to do Yeah, stayed home basically on that Sunday.
Speaker 1: But you did get another tattoo on your leg.
Speaker 3: Yes, I got this about two weeks ago, a little less.
Speaker 1: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two weeks so, and uh, I forget where in Kankakee, Illinois, that's where I went. Okay, Yeah, And it's a tattoo on my leg on my right shin area, not the shin because the shin is like only the front right, Oh shin is front.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah exactly. And it's it's another Kirby tattoo. So it's a Kirby tattoo with it's a Kirby tattoo that ate an umbryon, which is an evilution evolution from Pokemon.
Speaker 1: So if there's Pokemon people out there, they know what you're talking.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm brand is my favorite probably my favorite Pokemon ever and at least my favorite evil ev Luciens. And basically I just made a or not made, but this hardest did a Kirby that ate and transformed into an umbry on because that's what I'm doing. I'm doing a whole Kirby leg over time. And this one artist that I'm seeing is my second time seeing her, is going to be doing more Kirby ideas that I'll be having.
Speaker 1: Can we put a because I'm sure there's the majority people out there, like, what the fuck is it? So we can put a picture on Instagram?
Speaker 3: What is our demographic of age groups that we we tend to like attract?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I would say everybody?
Speaker 3: Everybody? Just everyone?
Speaker 1: Really? Yeah, I mean we've got you know, yeah, I would say.
Speaker 3: So, and fucking ask your kids.
Speaker 1: Sorry, our demographic is wide, it's varied.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try to find this sentence to you now before I forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'll put it up on Instagram. You got some likes on the last tattoo that I put up there? Oh cool? Yeah, so I too, I too got something new. I know on the last show we talked about I was in the market for a new car, right, and so I did get a new car. The car buy and I said in the last episode, I'm gonna say it again, the car buying process is fucking terrible. There should be laws around this shit. It's an awful experience. I'm sorry if your car salesman out there, but fuck man horrible. I didn't get a Tesla, and I guess partially partially it was you know what, if I am driving somewhere and some asshole who can't separate cool tech from politics sales are bricked through my window or I'm parked at a restaurant and someone keys my car. I don't want to fucking deal with that shit. And it sucks because I really really had my heart set on Tesla, but I still got an EV but I went with the Cadillac EV. So I got what's called a Cadillac Optic, and it is I'm glad I went with that instead of the Tesla for sure. Okay, so I'm excited. I'm happy. It's still it's not home again because when they I guess, took it off the truck, there were some dings on it, and uh, I said, nope, it's not brand new, so they're gonna if they're fixing it right now, they're doing some paint touch ups. So I have a loaner. But yeah, it was just a horrible nightmare. I turned into a person that I am not. I am not a person who returns food. I am not a person who complains. I'm a person who understands. People have bad days, things go wrong. You know, people wake up with devastating news, right this, these are these are first world problems that I have. But but I had enough and I went into that dealer like a fucking rage and maniac. And uh, I'm not proud of it, but that's where they pushed me. They pushed me the edge with this shit.
Speaker 3: Well that's that's how they live. They live on that because they most people would just want to just forget it and you know, go with thee by the time, yeah, so they can get out of there.
Speaker 1: So but I did. I got a new car. I'm very excited. I'm very happy. It's a beautiful ride.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't exist, Jay, until I see it myself.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I had it. I turned it in two days ago to get that those touch ups done, so that should be back by mid next week, so it'll be here next time you come. Okay, I'll take you for a ride. It's so cool, different, so different.
Speaker 3: We should do you want to record the next episode in your car as we're driving?
Speaker 1: People would hate us.
Speaker 3: Well, you can't focus.
Speaker 1: I can focus.
Speaker 3: What the fun? We can do it?
Speaker 1: It's got self driving.
Speaker 3: You're you're making us easier, that's true. Why I don't know why I'm pitching this.
Speaker 1: Tesla undoubtedly has some better tech, more advanced tech. Hands down, when it comes to ev technology, Tesla's got it by the balls for sure. But the luxury that the Cadillac brings and still has some of that tech that people love in the Tesla, just to a little lesser degree. It just still what a great choice. So I'm happy.
Speaker 3: I'm happy. Also, thanks, So you didn't get this?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, one day, who knows, we'll see, but for now, Cadillac, ummm, yeah, it's about it. Should we take a break? Yes, that it's a long and oh do it? We're drinking whiskey? Of course? Did you stop it? No? I did not. We're drinking belfour belfour whiskey.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Jordan belfour it got.
Speaker 1: Well, that's right. No, this is whiskey finished with pecan wood and panties talks.
Speaker 3: Sell me this pen, sell me this whiskey bottle.
Speaker 1: But ed belfour, So this is a celebrity sponsored whiskey and it's not bad.
Speaker 3: Jordan's pretty famous.
Speaker 1: You could know ed belfour. He's hockey.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to confuse you again.
Speaker 1: Chicago Blackhawks, San Jose Sharks, the Maple Leafs.
Speaker 3: Can't say black Hawks anymore, I should, my dear.
Speaker 1: I wonder did they take away the logo?
Speaker 3: Well, well, you know, we know, my Jerry about how we get with like the Indians and black You can't say that. No, but there was a spits team sport. No I know, but just in case someone out there doesn't, because apparently our demographic wages from child to eighty years old, we're like a Jigsaw apostle game.
Speaker 1: Whiskey would do other?
Speaker 3: You? Fuck?
Speaker 1: That burns so good. Cradle the Grave, Baby, Cradle.
Speaker 3: The Grave, that's all that MX, right, fuck, there's a movie called Cradle through Gray with Jetley and d MX. I think, yeah, remember I do anyway do what the fuck was I saying?
Speaker 1: I didn't get a waiting and you just's like apparently a typocrat. Oh fuck, that was funny. I can't laugh. Oh my god, Fuck, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: It was so good talking.
Speaker 1: We're talking hockey.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah. So apparently the reason why it's easier to get away with saying black so we're having a team back that or whatever is because unfortunately most of the people that would care about that are dead. They were we did such a good job exterminating them over we as in Americans I mean and and by way, I mean really white Americans, and did such a good job that there's no one around to care.
Speaker 1: You know. Well, maybe there's a little truth to that or less an. I don't care.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying no one, but so it's it's not that's a terrible thing. I'm just it's just an observation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean he did this, mister belfour did play for and I think I'm hitting the table, and so I apologize. He did play for the Chicgo black Hawks. Okay, yeah, so that's the whiskey we're drinking. It's good. I like it. Check it out, Oscar. Can we take a break?
Speaker 3: Are you sure this time?
Speaker 1: Yes? Welcome back to the show listeners. Well, the lights are turned down low or not the ceremonial candle. Of course they are. Look it's almost romantic.
Speaker 3: And take your next line.
Speaker 1: The ceremonial candle is lit.
Speaker 3: Where is the candle?
Speaker 1: Fuck? And the drinks are flowing. Let's start this show. So the title of this episode, Oscar is what goes up? This has taking a hard right turn for us based on the last I don't know dozen or two were going republic episodes that had to do it like serial killers and shit, it's way different. What goes up? This is a out man made space objects that make re entry, whether intended or not. And I got this idea when my wife and I were watching a new movie called Cold Storage with Joe Was it Joe carry Joe carry Kearney from Stranger Things? You know what I'm talking about? No? Yes, you do? You fucking do?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We talked about this off air, folks, right, yes, no?
Speaker 1: Or do you know who I'm talking about? And in this story, the mirror space station, the Russian space station comes down, and on that space station is this goo, and that goo is deadly and has a mind of its own right, So that gave me an idea.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, like Nickelodeon's Ghak the get oh.
Speaker 1: From You can do that on television? Do you remember that when they got slimed?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is like a slime.
Speaker 1: Did slime become Ghak for your generation?
Speaker 3: I think so?
Speaker 1: Huh kind of Uh. So that's what gave me the idea for this this show, what goes up must come down?
Speaker 3: Right but before as above, so below and yang.
Speaker 1: Before we begin the episode though, because there's a lot of detail in here. Once I started.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he knows Jay, but we started the episode.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of detail in here. Once I started researching this, I couldn't stop. It was so fascinating. But I just want to talk about some of the sources for this story. I relied on primary sources and official records wherever possible, but I would say the most valuable single resource was the public tracking data and commentary of someone named Jonathan McDowell of the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, who spent decades cataloging every man made object that re enters Earth's atmosphere. NASA's Orbital Debris Program Office, through its quarterly newsletters and incidence reports, provided detailed count of multiple re entry events that we talk about in this show. The European Space Agency published technical reports of two of its missions re entries, while the US Space Command and the Department of Defense to classified internal memos and public summaries related to specific space debris incidents. The Canadian and Australian governments released final reports on separate entry events in their territories. China's Manned Space Agency shared tracking data for one of its decommissioned spacecraft, and the Russian Federal Space Agency issued a technical summary of one of their major control the orbits. So I tried to get incredibly official sources to put the story together.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have a good iron of this. Yeah, please don't mind, I'm acting. I'm only asking now because I don't know where in the story will be best to fitted in. So, you know, I from what I little I know this, which is not much. Is that this happens all the time, like things come all the time. Is that correct?
Speaker 1: It is?
Speaker 3: So, it's correct.
Speaker 1: But most things burn, they burn, well you know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Pre entry means that they probably disintegrate, and that all of them rights not all of them do. I mean, if anyone's seen the first episode of Dead Like Me, the main character gets killed by a falling space toilet that hits her from space. I remember that that's a show though, Yes, okay, you're flying that's toilet that's from space. But this reminds me of a story from a show called The West Wing. Really, in The West Wing, there's a character Donna, who finds a report. You know, she's she works at the White House. In the show, she finds this report that says that a decommissioned Chinese satellite is due to re enter and parts unknown, like, they don't know what's going to land. It's going to land that day. That the day she gets a report, right, and she starts freaking out telling everyone about it and like we got a duck and cover, you know, we gotta do something. And then at some point later on the episode, everyone in doors. At some point later on the episode, her boss goes like, like, here's about it, and someone else goes, that's just does she know that this happens all the time? Like, no, she doesn't know. No, it happens all the time, and no one's ever been hit by one. Well that's just a TV show though, But apparently in that show, in that world. Maybe at that time it's really right to get hit by one, but it does happen all the time, and there's no cost for our alarm.
Speaker 1: So I open up this this whole show with a story or someone getting hit. Yeah, someone actually got it.
Speaker 3: Okay, crazy, I mean bound to happen.
Speaker 1: But you're right, it does happen all the time, and people don't realize this. Yeah, we are fucking up space. Yeah, it's like we're fucking up the Earth. Yes, you can't contest that. This isn't political. You can't contest we're fucking up the Earth. We're fucking up space too, and there's some very important orbits up there that we should not be fucking up where we keep very important satellite equipment and you know, reconnaissance equipment and things like the International Space Station, things like this, very important orbits that we are destroying. And it's frightening because you can't. Once they're up there, what do you do. You can't. They're gonna come down eventually, or they're going to destroy something, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like gravity when they all start crashing each other and they destroy the space stations and stuff exactly like that.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I really got into this. I hope you do too, So let me let me begin with this story. On a warm January night in nineteen ninety seven, Lottie Williams went for a walk in a park with some friends in Turley, Oklahoma. It was about four am, and the kind of hour reserved for INSOMNIAX and the very dedicated. She saw a huge fireball streak across the sky, a shooting star, she thought, but it was brighter and slower than usual. She didn't think much of it. Later, as she walked back to her car, something small and light tapped her on the shoulder. It almost felt like an empty soda can. She looked down. On the ground lay a crumpled, blackened piece of fiberglass about the size of her fist, and it was warm. What Lottie Williams had just experienced was a one in a trillion event. She became the first person in history to be hit by human made space debris. The object that tapped her on the shoulder was later confirmed to be a fragment from the second stage of a US Delta to rocket, specifically an aerojet Aja ten Dash one one eight K engine section. A year earlier that rocket launched from an Air Force satellite. I'm sorry a year earlier. That rocket launched an Air Force satellite from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California on April twenty fourth, nineteen ninety six, and it spent. Stage had been circled circling Earth in a decaying orbit ever since. On the night Lotty was walking or morning Lotty was walking Interley, the stage re entered the atmosphere at about forty two nautical miles above Topeka, Kansas, scattering debris across Oklahoma and Texas. The largest piece, a five hundred and fifty one pound propellant tank, landed just one hundred and sixty four feet from a farmhouse in Georgetown, Texas. That's fucking heavy. Five hundred and fifty one pounds. Yeah, but the small, blackened piece that found Lotty's shoulder had spent twelve months in orbit, enduring hundreds of degrees of temperature swing, until atmospheric drag finally pulled it down. The fragment now sits in a drawer somewhere, A souvenir of the only confirmed case of a human being struck. A human being being struck by fallen hand human made space debris now. Jonathan mcdaie Powell has spent decades tracking this kind of debris. An astronomer astronomer at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, he maintains one of the world's most detailed public databases of re entering space objects. When asked about Lottie's close call, he didn't sound surprised, just weary. Quote. We've been lucky, he said, But when you do this for fifty years, eventually you're going to get unlucky. And that's really that's the unsettling truth here. The situation overhead is no longer just a concern. It's a full blown crisis. The European Space Agency now tracks forty four, eight hundred and seventy human made objects longer than ten centimeters, about the size of a softcover book. But those are just the pieces we can see. The true count of orbiting debris larger than one centimeter, a size capable of shredding a space craft, thermal blanket or shattering a solar planel has surpassed one point two million, and for every one of those, there are an estimated one hundred and forty million fragments smaller than a centimeter invisible to radar, but moving with the force many times that of a bullet. The total mass of this orbiting junk, from dead satellites to frozen blobs of reactor coolant, has balloon to fifteen thousand, eight hundred metric tons, heavier than the Eiffel Tower or three large cruise ships or fifteen eight hundred cars. And take a drink.
Speaker 3: I really try it this one.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, that was a good one. I can't now. Even more alarming is the debris density in the most popular orbital lenses lanes in the three hundred and forty two mile altitude altitude band, which is prime real estate for Internet constellations like Starlink. The number of hazardous debris objects now rivals the number of active satellites. This congestion forces operators to perform a staggering number of collision avoidance maneuvers. In just the first half of twenty twenty five, the Starlink constellation moved to dodge potential impacts one hundred and forty four four hundred and four times.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: That's a collision warning every couple of minutes for six months straight. Wow. According to a recent NASA study. If a major solar storm were to knock out our ability to track and maneuver, a catastrophic collision would likely occur in less than three days. And this scenario has a name. It's called the Kessler syndrome. Proposed in nineteen seventy eight by NASA scientist Donald J. Kessler. The Kessler syndrome describes a runaway chain reaction in low earth orbit. Imagine two large objects colliding up there, say, a dead satellite and a spent rocket stage. The impact shatters them into thousands of fragments. Those fragments hit other objects, creating even more.
Speaker 3: Fragments, like a cascade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at a certain threshold, the debris field becomes so dense that collisions cascade beyond control. Even if we launched nothing else, that junk would keep multiplying, shredding satellites and spacecraft for generations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just like Gravity. That's exactly the plot of Gravity. The movie, is it really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Have you never seen it?
Speaker 1: I did, I just don't remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's how it opens. That's the first disaster, and that disaster starts cascading into other parts that she's just trying to get away by escaping from the initial American Nazi station to the ISS. That's right, and that starts getting also bombarded by all the satellite debris that's simply circling. That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what they're They're acting on the Kessler syndrome, and some of our important orbital bands could be unusable for decades or even centuries. Now. The good news is we're not there yet, but according to Kessler's models, some altitudes are already approaching that tipping point. The question isn't whether a cascade will begin, but when it will begin.
Speaker 3: It's like everyone's obsessed. It's like we're obsessed with making and building the future via rockets and uh, you know, I don't habitats or going to mark you know, fancy things that makes us feel glorious, But no one wants to do the cleanup. No one wants to do clean cleanup is never sexy. That's making a road is never sexy. Things we need are never attractive to do. Always by kicking and screaming do we have to do them? And almost always after already a big disaster has happened. That's right, how we learn because we're stupid but yeah.
Speaker 1: And to your pointive it or not. Every week, on average, a piece of human made junk re enters our atmosphere. Most of it burns up, a brief man made meteor that you'd make for making mistake for a shooting star, make a wish on, fake a wish on a piece of flaming poop, and when it doesn't happen or turned against you, now you know why. Yeah, But sometimes that math goes wrong. Sometimes the heat shields they hold, Sometimes the rocket misses the ocean by a few miles, and sometimes, very rarely, a piece of space debris taps a woman on the shoulder in an Oklahoma park. Now, what follows is a brief catalog of debris, both controlled and uncontrolled, that fell from space. Some were designed to come home, most were not. Their stories trace the arc of our species reckless, brilliant, and often careless expansion into the cosmos. And they also raise a question that no one's yet answered. Who cleans up the sky?
Speaker 3: You need to do, yeah, and needs to be done, and to make a giant nets or whatever the hell we have to do to do it. But we have to do it, and it was not gonna happen, but we have to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the first one I want to get a little bit more into Lottie Williams, the woman who got tapped on the show. It was a little bit deeper. So this is the Delta too rocket stage, the one that hit a woman. So the Delta two was a workhorse of American spaceflight for three decades. On November nineteen ninety six, one of them lifted off from Vanderberg Air Force Base in California, carrying a GPS satellite for the US Air Force. After the satellite was deployed, the rocket's second stage remained in orbit. A dead hulk of aluminum and steel. It circled Earth once every ninety minutes, slowly losing altitude. On January twenty second, nineteen ninety seven, that stage re entered. Most of it burned up, but not all. A small piece a woven composite material from the stage's motor casing survived three thousand degrees heat of reentry. It fell toward Turley, Oklahoma, at terminal velocity, which for an object that small, is about one hundred miles an hour fast, and that's fast enough to sting, but thankfully not fast enough to kill Lottie. Williams saw the fireball, felt the shoulder tap, and later handed the fragment to the local sheriff. The US Space Command confirmed that re entry window matched the time and location where Lottie got hit, So this is really it was a piece of this rocket. To this day, she remains the only person to have ever been hit by a piece of human made space debris. The case is often cited as a lucky near miss, but also a warning. As Jonathan McDonell puts it, the probability is low, but the consequence is high, and we're putting more objects up there every year. End quote that while the odds of any particular piece of debris hitting a person are extremely low, yeah, the consequences of a strike, especially from a larger object or one containing toxic or nuclear material, which we'll talk about here shortly, could be catastrophic. And McDonald's warning is simple. Luck is held so far, but statistics suggests it won't hold forever.
Speaker 3: No, it will not. And it also reminds me of a raining debris like that. It reminds me of this book called Seven Eves. It's a sci fi book, sci fi meaning fiction, but in this scenario, the Moon cracks basically, and debris from the Moon starts shattering and hitting our atmosphere. And the way that the book gets very accurate the book, and the way that the science the fake is of course, at the Moon that will ever crack, that's the only thing. But what happens to Earth is what's kind of realistic and taken in scientifically, I guess as much as you can. And in it it depakes this picture of all the spikes shooting down pieces of the Moon over time, blanketing first our atmosphere and then shooting down endlessly for I think they put in the book one hundred two hundred, three hundred years straight hitting. You know, I'm not saying that we're getting to that point, but the idea of raining debris would be like bullets being shot from three or four miles up right around four miles it's five. So that's crazy.
Speaker 1: It is crazy. And now we're going back strong. I mean, look at Artemis. That just happened, Yeah, Utomius, right, Yeah. The goal is to put a base on the Moon, from which.
Speaker 3: I mean, someone's been watching for all mankind, for.
Speaker 1: All mankind, and they should we should totally do that. Trump has been watching for all mankind a purpose of which to obviously have something that's that's habitable up there, but to also launch to Mars eventually. That equals a lot of junk.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of junk yet, you know, and a lout of mistakes, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of refueling missions, a lot of supply missions, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of if they commercialize it in any way, which they will, they will not in our lifetime. Maybe well maybe we're too old to go at that time. But like they will do it, it's gonna be a lot worse. We can help, we can't help. But treat everything like like a landfill, right, you just can't help it.
Speaker 1: Yep. So though, yeah, interesting this topic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally and this is totally mate.
Speaker 1: Now, the next example I want to talk about is Cosmos N four, the nuclear spy that fell on Canada. This one, this is the one that keeps safety analysts awake at night. On September eighteenth, nineteen seventy seven, the Soviet Union launched Cosmos NUR for the Bangkoor Cosmodrome. Cosmos n was a radar surveillance satellite designed to track and spy on American aircraft carriers from space to power its radar. It carried US small nuclear reactor, specifically a BS five reactor, containing about fifty kilograms of enriched uranium two three five. You could probably see where this is going for months later, excuse me. Four months later, a satellite, of course malfunction. The reactor failed to separate and boost itself up into a higher what's called a disposal orbit as designed. Instead, the entire spacecraft began to tumble, its orbit, decaying with each passing day. Western intelligence agencies and media watched with growing alarm. The New York Times called it Russian Roulette in space. On January twenty fourth, nineteen seventy eight, Cosmos nine five four re entered Earth's atmosphere over northwestern Canada. It broke apart, scattering radioactive debris across three hundred and seventy three miles swath of northwest territories Alberta and Saskatchewan. Some fragments admitted up to two hundred renngins of per hour, in other words, enough radiation to cause acute radiation sickness. The US and Canadian militaries launched Operation Morning Light to find and clean up the mess. Recovering more than one hundred radioactive pieces. The Soviet Union eventually paid Canada three million dollars in compensation, a fraction of the actual fourteen million dollar cleanup cost. Cosmos nine four remains the closest the world has ever come to a nuclear disaster falling from the sky. And the real legacy of Cosmos nine five four, however, is not the money. It's the fact that it forced the world to recognize that space is not an empty void, but a shared environment, and that what goes up, especially when it contains a nuclear reactor, must eventually come down. In the wake of the incident, the Soviet Union redesigned its nuclear power satellites to boost their reactors into thousand year disposal orbits. But the older ones are still up there and some are still falling thousand year disposal orbits. Isn't that crazy? It doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: How do you calculate? Like it's it's mind blowing, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there we actually have disposal orbits. Crazy. This next one's an interesting one. This is Skylab, America's first space station. So Skylab was America's first space station. It was a convert a converted Saturn five rocket stage, weighing seventy five point seven tons, a behemoth that remains the largest single object ever placed into orbit by the US. It was launched in May nineteen seventy three, and three crews of astronauts called it home. For the next two years. They conducted experiments in microgravity, observed the Sun, and proved that humans could live and work in space for months at a time. By nineteen seventy nine, though Skylab was empty, it was essentially abandoned due to the combination of budget cuts and major strategic shifts at NASA, mainly focusing energy and funds on the brand new Space Shuttle program, leaving Skylab in a powerless, uncrewde parking orbit.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Skylab's orbit decayed faster than NASA predicted, thanks to higher than expected solar activity that expanded the Earth's atmosphere and increased drag, which accelerated Skylab's fatal descent. Skylab was going to fall, and all NASA could do was aim it. So on July eleventh, nineteen seventy nine, Skylab made its final descent. NASA controllers tried to target the Indian Ocean as a crash zone, but Skylab had other ideas. It broke apart over western Australia, scattering debris across a ninety three mile stretch between the towns of Esperance and Wallina or Wallina. Residents reported large sonic booms and the sight of burning metal streaking across the sky. Some pieces were large, including two ton oxygen tank that punctured a crater into the ground and a lead safe. They had it in quotes, a lead safe the size of a file cabinet, a filing cabinet. But the most surreal detail emerged days later when a San Francisco newspaper offered a ten thousand dollars prize for the first piece of debris delivered to their office.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: A seventeen year old local named Stan Thornton pulled the fragment from his roof, hitched a ride to the airport, and flew all the way to California and claimed the prize and cementing Skylab's strange legacy as the world's most chaotic treasure hunt. And thankfully, after all this, no one was hurt during this massive re entry well and.
Speaker 3: Went into Australia. Right. Yeah, so I'm saying, if you have to go somewhere Australia, Siberia, there's a lot of space which is nothing there.
Speaker 1: So well that's exactly why they tried to aim it at the Indian Ocean.
Speaker 3: No, I get that. Yeah, I'm saying Australia is not it's not that bad.
Speaker 1: It's not New York City, right.
Speaker 3: Or it's you know, some other country that have millions more people circle, you know, surrounded.
Speaker 1: No, you're right, so I don't know. I don't know the square mileage of the outback, but I'm guess huge million upon millions, huge ins of square.
Speaker 3: Miles have more space. They have way more space that they don't use than they use.
Speaker 1: Oh good, it's a good way to put it now as a joke that has gone down an infamy. The town or shire they call it in Australia, I guess of esperance actually sent NASA a four hundred dollars fine for Lloyd littering no Way, which was never paid. Of course, decades later, a California radio station raised the money to settle that debt, but NASA's never cashed the check. The Skylab debris however, it's still there. Some pieces were recovered and put on display, others remain scattered across the outback still to this day. I was about to ask, just slowly resting away, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was about to ask about that, Like, there's no way you don't make a thing out of it, or an attraction to look at the craters or something.
Speaker 1: You know, it's fascinating. I would check that out totally. So Skylab's fall was an embarrassment for NASA, but it also galvanized international efforts to track space debris. Today, the US Space Surveillance Network tracks more than twenty thousand objects larger than a softball, and Skylab is the reason we know where most of the big stuff is.
Speaker 3: I mean you mean the incident of Skylab, right, meaning yes, yeah, because of what happened with Skylab.
Speaker 1: Not in the sky, right because the Skylab, but the incident we started tracking.
Speaker 3: I should look into that one. I'm curious how why I looked Skylab when it was over.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm listeners, I should have mentioned this. I'm gonna have tons of photos in the show notes. I don't have photos. I don't think we have photos. I don't think photos exist of Skylab too late.
Speaker 3: I mean as late as the seventies, right, so.
Speaker 1: I certainly didn't find any photos of it entering the atmosphere.
Speaker 3: No, no, what I mean that, I mean Skylight. That's how I'm curious about that show notes, because it's cool it's in there, like we had crazy things up there, you know. Yeah, some of the shits gone from me, and it was gone before I was born, so like that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know. No, in the show notes, I have pictures of all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep, you were already eighteen and one.
Speaker 1: Oh Jesus, I was born in seventy seven. The next one, number four is the Long March five B core stage, the rocket that flew over every city. On May fifth, twenty twenty, China launched the maiden flight of its Long March five B rocket, successfully delivering an experimental crew spacecraft to orbit. An experimental spacecraft to orbit. But then something unusual happened. The rocket's massive core stage, ninety eight point five feet long and weighing seventeen point eight tons, also reached orbit. Unlike most rockets stages, which are designed to fall back to Earth shortly after launch, the Long March five BEES core stage was placed into a low orbit where it didn't belong, and that's where it stayed for five days. Trackers watched in horror as the stage's orbit decayed. The predicted re entry path passed directly over Los Angeles, New York, Beijing, and a dozen other major cities. This is a quote. I'd never seen a major re entry pass directly over so many major metropolitan areas, tweeted Jonathan McDowell. Remember he's an astronomer at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and leading expert on space debris and uncontrolled re entries. Now, the uncertainty of the long March five bees Core stage re entry point was maddening, and because the stage was tumbling, its drag profile was unpredictable. Re Entry windows shifted by the hour. On May eleventh, twenty twenty, the stage re entered over the Atlantic Ocean off Mauritania. Mauritania, it's a country off of northwest Africa. I've never heard of it splashing down far from land in the ocean. No debris was covered, recovered, and thankfully no one was hurt, but the incident exposed a glaring gap in international space law. There's no rule that says you have to aim your trash. China had done nothing illegal, but it also done nothing to minimize risk. The world held its breath. The long March five bees design had been used several more times with similar uncontrolled re entries. And each time the world holds its breath, and so far each time the rocket falls into the ocean. But so far isn't a safety guarantee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like, you know, the grand majority of the earth is covered by water, so most times when something falls ill most likely hit the water, but not everything out of your time, that's right. I feel like I get why we don't have ethics communities anymore, or some sort of version of responsibility crew or charters or laws that are kind of a blanket thing to account people that are accountable for things in this case China or US or in many ways Russia. Those are top three con topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like.
Speaker 3: Because as at least to a lot of horrible corruption and horrible things happening, as attested from America in the sixties, but like or forties. But man, it feels like we needed some accountability about some of these near misses are happening left and right, a lot of near misses.
Speaker 1: Yes we do all right. Number five Cosmos four to eight to two, the failed Venus probe that took fifty three years to come home. In March nineteen seventy two, the Soviet Union launched a pair of Venus probes. Veniera eight made it to Venus and sent back data for fifty minutes before succumbing to the planet's crushing heat and pressure. Its twin, Cosmos four eight two, never made it. A rocket failure left it stranded in Earth orbit, which it circled for our planet for fifty three years, A forgotten ghost of the nineteen seventy space race. Cosmos four eight two was a time capsule of Cold War space engineering. It carried a spherical landing capsule designed to survive Venus's eight hundred and sixty degree fahrenheit surface temperature and ninety atmospheres of pressure, or the pressure of being about point six miles deep in the ocean. That same heat shield intended for the hell of Venus, also made it capable of surviving re entry into Earth's atmosphere. Not good for decades, the satellite was just an afterthought, one of thousands of pieces of space junk in orbit, but as its orbit decayed, experts began to pay attention. In May twenty twenty five, the European Space Agency issued a warning Cosmos four eight two would re enter within days. The landing capsule, weighing about one one hundred pounds, might survive. Where it would land was anyone's guess. On May tenth, twenty twenty five, Cosmos four eight two re entered over the Indian Ocean west of Jakarta, Indonesia. The landing capsule's parachute system, designed after fifty three years in the vacuum of space, likely failed. No debris was found. For a few tense days, the world watch a Cold War relic fall home, and then it was just gone. It was a reminder that orbital debris doesn't care about policies or treaties. It just orbits patiently until it doesn't all right. Number six is Salute seven, the space station that missed the ocean. Salute seven was the last of the Soviet Union's first generation space stations. Launched in nineteen eighty two, it served both scientific research and military reconnaissance for nine years, hosting crews who performed daring repairs, including one famous dramatic mission that kept the station alive after a total power failure in nineteen eighty six, the new Mirror Space Station had taken its place, and Salute seven was abandoned, but the Soviets didn't just leave it to drift. That same year, they boosted the vacant station into a higher orbit, a two hundred and ninety five mile by three hundred and six mile perch, where they expected it to remain until nineteen ninety four. They even considered retrieving it using the Bronze Space Shuttle, the Soviet Union's answer to the NASA's orbiter, but the plan never materialized. Bron flew only once, an uncrewed test flight in nineteen eighty eight, and the program was canceled soon after Salute seven was on its own. Salute seven side was Cosmo sixteen eighty six, a modified cargo spaceship that had arrived in nineteen eighty five, carrying nine hundred and twenty one pounds of supplies and nearly doubling the station's habitable volume. Together, the complex massed forty three tons heavier than a Boeing seven thirty seven. After the final crew departed in nineteen eighty six, Both Salute seven and Cosmo sixteen eighty six suffered major system failures, making the complex impossible to control from the ground. The Soviets had planned to fire Cosmo sixteen eighty six's engines for controlled deorbit, but the propellants. The propellant supply had dwindled to just one hundred and fifty four pounds, far short of the one hundred and two pounds required for a safe descent. For five years, the dead station drifted. In early nineteen ninety one, Soviet controllers made one less attempt to aim it at the Atlantic Ocean, firing thrusters to lower its orbit, but the tumbling, lifeless complex had other ideas. The official Soviet news agency, called Tasks or the Telegraph Agency of the Soviet Union, insisted that no one was to blame the unexpected increase in solar activity, they said, had made the orbit impossible to predict, but some Soviet scientists were furious. A veteran a scientist who was a veteran of the Military Industrial Commission claimed he had warned for five years earlier that the station lacked enough fuel for controlled re entry. The director of the Institute of Applied geophysics was blunter when he said, quote, it's insulting to hear the report that solar bursts are unpredictable. That burst was not a surprise at all. Typical Russian cover up, you know. On February seventh, nineteen ninety one, at eleven pm Eastern Salute seven re entering it over Argentina, traveling at more than seventeen thousand miles per hour, the forty three ton complex left the trail of fire across the night sky. Witnesses described it as a video game come to life, a glowing object that broke it into seven or eight luminous spheres before disappearing. One man in San Juan, stepping to his window to light a cigarette, watched the station disintegrate and thought for a moment he was seeing a comet. A policeman took it and mistook it for a plane falling in flames. The station split into an estimated two hundred and fifty pieces of debris, with surviving fragments weighing somewhere between two thousand, six hundred and forty six pounds to three thousand, six hundred and three nine hundred and sixty eight pounds. Massive very act numbers of debris. Thinks the debris scattered across hundreds of miles San Juan, Santa Fe, Andre Rios, Venado, Twerto, even as far south as Perto. I don't know these places. That's where it was. The largest piece, a hatch or bulkhead the size of a washing machine, crashed into the patio of a house in Capitin Bermudez, a town of about thirty thousand people, and remarkably no one was killed or injured. The station's pre dawn arrival around one am local meant that more residents were indoors, not standing in their yards or in the streets. Today, fragments of Salute seven are on display in museums across Argentina, at the Ouro Verde Astronomical Observatory in andtre Rios, at the local museum in fermat and at the famous UFO Museum in Victoria, which preserves a large piece of the station. Spherical metal tanks, charred and scarred by entry, sit under glass. These strange souvenirs of the night at Soviet space station fell on South America. Salute seven was a near disaster. It showed that even when you try to aim a falling space station. Space station you can miss, and when you miss, people can die. The fact that no one did was just pure luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy, right, it's funny as so how so far all these stories feel like a warning. They all feel like warnings almost like verty much not really threats, but the kind of they're like just warnings very much, so hard. They're like they're like adult, realistic bad time stories you tell like the equivalent we tell children to like cautionary tales, warn them of strangers by telling them a story about this or that or whatever, riding hood or whatever, and three little bears. It is like that, but for silence.
Speaker 1: And the moral of this story is we're a.
Speaker 3: Helmet, right, We're a helmet. Build a metal canopy over your home or something.
Speaker 1: In metal dome. Could you imagine being this, this old dude that just walked to his window to light a cigarette and see this massive hulk of metal. Yeah, not expecting what do you even mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Ah man to see something like that. Ow cool now. The next two these are Tragic Number seven, the Space Shuttle Columbia, the Data Charlotte, The day the Shuttle came apart on February first, two thousand and three, the Space shuttle Columbia disintegrated during re entry over Texas, scattering debris across eastern Texas and western Louisiana. The cause was a piece of insulating foam that had broken off the external tank during launch, and it struck the left wing, punching a hole that allowed superheated gas to melt the wing structure from the inside. Columbia had spent sixteen days in orbit, a science flight that carried seven astronauts, Commander Rick Husband, pilot William McCool, payload commander Michael Anderson, mission specialist kalpan Chawla, mission special list David Brown, mission specialist Laurel Clark, and payload specialists, and first Israeli astronaut Elin Ramon. All seven souls were lost. The breakup scattered debris across twenty nine thousand, one hundred and seventy four square miles, an area larger than West Virginia, creating a debris field that stretched roughly two thousand miles from the California coast to western Louisiana, a distance the shuttle covered in about seven minutes while still traveling at roughly twelve thousand, five hundred miles per hour. Recovery teams including the FBI and the US military, fanned out across the piney Woods of East Texas, a region of dense forests and swamps home to wild hogs and bobcats. The largest ground search in US history eventually collected more than eighty two thousand pieces of the shuttle, weighing about eighty four thousand, eight hundred pounds, and that's only thirty eight percent of the show shuttle. The rest was either vaporized or remains to this day scattered in the woods and swamps of the South. Now, pieces of Columbia are still being found, often uncovered by drought or land development. The FBI notes that its offices still receive calls about potential Shuttle debris, and NASA's Columbia Research and Preservation Office receive about two to three of reports each month, though many turn out to be something else, but from what I could find. As recently as twenty twenty two, a severe drought in East Texas dried up a portion of Lake Natdochis, exposing a long buried piece of the Space Shuttle Columbia. NASA officials recovered the fragment for analysis a reminder that the disaster's physical traits are still emerging from the landscape nearly two decades later. Today, the recovered fragments are stored on the sixteenth floor of the Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center, the same facility where Columbia had been prepared for its twenty eight launches. Some of the debris has been loaned to research as to study how to build safer spacecraft components, and a portion is used in an educational program to teach future engineers the lessons of disaster now. The search for the astronauts remains were grim and methodical. Within an hour of the breakup, the first remains of a crew member were found. Searchers working near Hemphill, Texas, about one hundred and seventy miles north of Houston, recovered a charred torso, a thigh bone, a skull with front teeth, a charred leg, and a finger with a ring still attached. An empty astronauts helmet was also found, potentially containing trace DNA. Nasha initially stated that the remains of all seven astronauts had been recovered, then retracted the statement amid the chaos of the early identification process. By February thirteenth, two thousand and three, the agency had positively a day the remains of all seven crew members. The remains of the six American astronauts were taken to the Charles C. Carson Center for Mortuary Affairs at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, the same military morgue that had identified the victims of the Challenger disaster in nineteen eighty six, which will cover next and the September eleventh attack on the Pentagon. Israeli astronaut Elon Ramon was buried in his country. Forensic experts used DNA analysis, fingerprints, and dental records to make the identifications. Remarkably, investigators believe that if the astronauts had remained inside the crew cabin during re entry, portion of the cabin's structure might have shielded their bodies from the worst of the heat, allowing for recovery and identification. The families of the crew later praised recovery volunteers. John Clark, husband of astronaut Laurel Clark, told the gathering in Texas, you welcomed their family home. For that I could never repay you. The Columbia Accident Investigation Board convened within days of the disaster and issued its final report on August twenty six, two thousand and three. The board determined that a piece of foam insulation weighing about one point sixty seven pounds that's it, had broken off the external tank eighty two seconds after launch and struck the leading edge of the left wing, damaging the carbon heat shielding panels. But the report went further, exposing a culture of complacency at NASA. Foam shedding had occurred on every prior Shuttle flight and was well known, but management had come to treat it as an acceptable risk. The investigation also uncovered deeper structural problems. Columbia's wings and fuel tank were found to be riddled with pinholes and cracks, a flaw in NASA had known about since the early nineteen nineties but failed to address properly. Investigators discovered that many of the these surface pinholes were openings to far more extensive breeches underneath, namely erosion that had compromised the structural integrity of the wings. This was particularly acute for Columbia, which was on its twenty eighth mission when it broke apart. In the immediate aftermath of the disaster. As the nation mourned, the Internet, of course, filled with speculation. Within days, message boards and chat rooms remember those, were buzzing with theories of aliens, booby trapped satellites, and space lasers one communist columnist. One columnist speculated about a bomb aboard the Shuttle or a terrorist missile intercepting the spacecraft at twelve five hundred miles an hour. Another post suggested that Israeli astronaut Elon Ramon was a Masad agent supervising the retrieval of a spy satellite that had booby trapped by Chinese. One message board asked who shot down the Columbs and proposed that a space laser a weapon system was to blame. Of course, NASA dismissed these theories as highly unlikely, but the rumors persisted for weeks. The official investigation ultimately concluded that sabotage wasn't a factor. The investigation that followed the disaster led to the grounding of the Shuttle fleet for more than two years, and ultimately to the decision to retire the program in early twenty eleven. Columbia isn't a piece of space debris in the usual sense that we've been talking about. It was a crude spacecraft on a scheduled return, but its fate is the ultimate example of what happens when re entry goes wrong. Its wreckage, stored in a hangar at the Kennedy Space Center, serves as a memorial and a warning. The atmosphere is not forgiving. And if you guys want to see what happened to Columbia, I left a link in the show notes to that re entry video. It's kind of hard to watch, but it's there if you want to see it now. The next one, of course, is Space Shuttle Challenger, the disaster that grounded a generation. The Space Shuttle Challenger disaster is another scar on the American memory. What began as a routine launch of the twenty fifth Space Shuttle mission and in a public explosion that killed all seven crew members, including a school teacher from New Hampshire. For millions who watched live, the question wasn't what just happened, it was how NASA could have let it happen. Space Shuttle Challenger, NASA's second space rated orbiter, had flown nine successful missions before its final flight, including the first American spacewalk of the Shuttle program and the first night launch. The Challenger mission was to be a six day flight with an ambitious agenda. The crew planned to deploy the Spartan Haley Astronomy satellite to observe of Haley's comment, launched a second tracking in data relay satellite, and conduct dozens of scientific experiments. The Challenger crew was Commander Francis Dick Scobie, pilot Michael J. Smith, mission specialist, Ronald McNair, mission specialist, Allison Onezuka, mission specialist, Judith Redsnik, payload specialist Gregory Jarvis, and most famously Christa mcculoff, a high school teacher from New Hampshire who was selected as the first participant in NASA's Teacher and Space Project. Tragically, the seven crew members would only spend one minute and thirteen seconds in flight. At eleven thirty eight Eastern on January twenty eighth, nineteen ninety six, Challenger lifted off from launch Pad thirty nine B at Kennedy Space Center in Florida, Wait eighty sixth right, nineteen eighty six. What did I say?
Speaker 3: I I heard you saying, but I could have gotten maybe I heard.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah No. January twenty eight, nineteen eighty six. Okay, launch Pad thirty eight B Kennedy Space Center. Seventy three seconds later, it was gone. At point six seven to eight seconds into the flight, cameras registered a puff of gray smoke spurting from the aft field joint of the right solid rocket booster. More puffs followed as the shuttle accelerated. The rubber O rings designed to seal the boosters segmented joints had failed. The night before. The launch had been unusually cold. Temperatures at Cape Canaveral in Florida dropped to thirty six degrees fifteen degrees colder than any previous Shuttle launch. Frost formed on the O rings, freezing the rubber and making it brittle. Engineers at Morton Thiacol, the contractor that manufactured the O rings, had warned that the seals failed repeated tests under cold conditions. NASA managers dismissed those concerns. At fifty eight point seven eight eight seconds, a flickering flame excuse me, A flickering flame appeared on the right solid rocket booster. At sixty four point sixty six seconds came the first visual indication that the flame had breached the external fuel tank. At approximately seventy two seconds, the lower strut linking the right booster to the tank was severed. The booster rotated around the upper strut, puncturing the hydrogen tank. Liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen mixed and exploded, enveloping the shuttle in a massive fireball. Challenger was traveling at mock one point nine to two at an altitude of forty six thousand feet. The orbiter broke up under severe aerodynamic loads. The crew compartment, still largely intact, separated from the forward fusel lodge and continued its upward trajectory, peaking at sixty five thousand feet at approximately twenty five seconds after the breakup. Then it began its long fall back to the Atlantic Ocean. The crew compartment plummeted for two minutes and forty five seconds. Think of that a free fall, and they're likely still alive at this point. And it struck the Atlantic Ocean at a velocity of approximately two hundred and seven miles per hour. The impact force was about two hundred g's, far beyond the structural limits of the cabin or any chance of survival. You could liken this force to the acceleration of a bullet being fired from a handgun. For a human, it means your body effectively weighs two hundred times its normal amount, a force that would crush bones and organs instantly if sustained for more than a few milliseconds. They went for minutes. The challengers debris field stretched across the Atlantic Atlantic off the coast of Florida, and the crew compartment came to rest on the sandy Ocean floor in about eighty seven to one hundred and fifty feet of water, about seven to eight seventeen to eighteen miles off the northeast of Cape Canaveral. The recovery operation was the most massive ocean search in history. Navy divers from the USS Perseverer worked day and night, often battling strong Gulf stream currents that covered wreckage with silt and sometimes limited visibility to just six inches. On March seventh, nineteen eighty six, six weeks after that disaster, they found the crew cabin, described by divers as a heap of rubble eight feet high, disintegrated with the heaviest fragmentation and crash damage to its left side parts. Of bodies surfaced for several days, first Judy Resnick, then the others. A seventh crew member was brought carefully to the surface and Ashore and the Challenger seven were united. NASA confirmed on April nineteenth, nineteen eighty six, that remains of all seven astronauts had been recovered. The remains were taken to a military morgue at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware. We just talked about it with Columbia. Seven funerals were held for the seven astronauts, and an eighth ceremony for remains that couldn't be identified with certainty, plus additional interments for body parts that could not be linked to any one astronaut. A NASA report concluded that the cause of death couldn't be positively determined. The forces of the orbiter breakup were probably not sufficient to cause death or serious injury. Imagine that, but the ocean impact was so violent that evidence of earlier damage was just it was masked.
Speaker 3: You could It makes you want It makes you wish that they had died from the explosion instantly, instantly, rather than right later on.
Speaker 1: So and to this point, four of the crew's emergency air packs were recovered. Three have been manually activated, suggesting that at least some crew members were conscious and aware after that breakup. In total, about one hundred and eighteen metric tons, about forty five percent of the shuttle, was recovered. The debris was initially stored at hangars at Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. Then, less than a year after the accident, the records was buried in two abandoned Minutemen missile silos at Complex thirty one on the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. The silos are ninety feet deep and roughly fifteen feet wide. Massive ten thousand pound concrete caps were lowered into place, creating a weather proof, secure tomb. NASA officials stressed that the debris remains accessible for future engineering studies. The concrete caps can be removed if needed, but the location of the actual crew cabin those remained is a very closely guarded secret. Why do you think, yeah, I mean that's where because it's just a horrible thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, people's missile sados now as a part of things. Well, I mean doesn't that make it kind of worse? I mean, I would shouldn't we be it's also a museum thing. Now, like why isn't it being displayed not as a part, but like as a you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, just for respect to the dead. I guess they won't let you know where it is visit it.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, it seems not I mean, does it seem unreasonable to you? Still?
Speaker 1: No? I mean it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 3: No, No, but unreasonable that that's still like that buried like the way, like so shamefully, like like we can't get past it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, No, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't feel weird about it.
Speaker 1: I don't feel one way or the other. But I get it. You know seven seven?
Speaker 3: Would you would you? Would you keep would you keep it there?
Speaker 1: Would I keep it?
Speaker 3: Hitting? I say, you got the position of authority to decide that or today? Would you change that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't think that would be something I would put on display. I don't think I would make us back to love it. No, oh I'm not.
Speaker 3: I mean not saying, but stamers. I don't think I like you would keep it there?
Speaker 1: I think I just yeah, we're closing this chapter. Yep, we have other pieces we can study for future generations, like it' said.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's part of our history and if it's available, I would definitely put it out there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like people ask, well, why don't you bring up.
Speaker 4: It's going to plantations or whatever, you know, or like the It's like, why don't you open a tomb like Jefferson's house or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all went through.
Speaker 1: I think it's different, just like the Titanic. Why don't you bring.
Speaker 3: Up with it's way worse because you know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, no, leave it alone. But as recently as twenty twenty two, new pieces of Challenging debris have been found. A documentary crew searching the bottom of the Atlantic off the coast of Florida for World War two wreckage uncovered twenty foot segment made of eight inch thermal tiles, one of the largest pieces of Challenger found in decades. So they're still pulling this stuff up. The official cause of the Challenger disaster, determined by the Rogers Commission, was the failure of o rings seal on that right solid rocket booster, but the commission's more damning finding was cultural NASA's safety reporting system was so weak that the commission termed it silent. The agency's management structure had suppressed pre launch warnings that could have prevented the tragedy. Morton Thiakol, the manufacturer of the O rings, first discovered that flaw in nineteen seventy seven and reported it to NASA, but the commission in charge of the Shuttle project ignored it, even after significant erosion of the O rings was discovered during Shuttle flights as early as eighty one. Nobel Prize winning physicist Richard Feynmann f Fineman yet was member of the Rodgers commission. It grew frustrated with the vague testimony and bureucratic evasion, and in this now sort of infamous moment, he dunked a piece of O ring material into a glass of ice water, demonstrating how it lost all resiliency at low temperatures, removing all doubt about the technical cause of the explosion. And then he accused ness of playing Russian Roulette with astronauts' lives, which they kind of did. And of course, just like the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy, conspiracy theory surfaced about the Challenger disaster too. A recurring theory maintains that the Challenger crew members never died, that they faked their deaths or are never on the Shuttle to begin with, and they're actually saying that about Artemist today, that it's all fake, that the astronauts ejected at the last minute. Social media posts circulate photos of people who resemble the astronauts, claiming they're the same individuals living under new identities. A Judith Resnick teaching law at Yale. A Michael J. Smith as a university professor. A Dick Scope be running a company. Me, that's right, it's awesome. A target. Yeah, it's crazy. These theories are crazy, but people swear.
Speaker 3: It's true, buying cookies when he shouldn't.
Speaker 1: NASA's chief historian has stated unequivocally that the disaster did occur and all seven crew members they died. Other theories claimed the Shuttle was sabotaged by terrorists, by foreign powers, or by a secret space based laser weapon. Some conspiracy sites suggest the launch was intentionally botched because President Reagan was about to deliver some major news and he needed a distraction. The Rogers Commission found no evidence of sabotage. Of course, the cause was tragically simple rubber o rings and cold weather. One theory that does hold weight. Though it's not a conspiracy so much as a suppressed truth. Is that NASA managers knew about the ol ring flaw years before the launch launched. Anyway, that's not speculation. It's in the Rogers Commission report. And if you want to see, you know, kind of what happened to the Challenger, millions were watching it. It was recorded. I've left a link in the show notes to that video.
Speaker 3: You know the worst part about that, and yeah, the lives obviously hugely yea. The worst part though, that affects me. Oh, that affects some still things day to day. Is that about spaceflight and NASA and stuff. Is that we lost our confidence with space. I think people lost. The general public lost its trust of NASA and governmental approval, I agree, and a lot of people in general lost faith or confidence into wanting to do space.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, I think it all went super downhill after that one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: That's why it was called That's why I kind of called it. You know, that grounded the generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, I totally understand where you're coming from for that, because it did feel that way growing up in the nineties. You know, I wasn't there and famously. Some people have testified not to, but like I have given testimonials about them being in school shown the Challenger as a big event and seeing the horror or yeah, of course, they have so many funny stories.
Speaker 1: About the teachers all over the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know it did. But I was saying I was too young. I was two years old when this happened, so I was too young for that. But in the nights I was still hearing about it. Still beat the big deal, and you could feel that lack of confidence about space.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I know, but it's tragic, tragic. I remember my mom and my stepdad took me to Florida one time. I was a kid, probably Nico's age twelve thirteen, and we got to see one of the space shuttles on the launching padre from Afar. Yeah, yeah, we have pictures of that still, I don't remember which one.
Speaker 3: How many miles were you? We say with ways, But he.
Speaker 1: Had a telephoto lens, like this massive lens got it, I mean made it look like you were right there. It was really cool to see.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that, ye never seen that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, we didn't see it launched, but we saw it on a launch pad. It must have been launching the.
Speaker 3: Day anything space related is going through the observatory here in Chicago. Has it was crazy?
Speaker 1: Okay? Moving, moving on number nine. It's the GOOCEE, the Ferrari of space that ran out of gas. The Gravity Field and Steady State Ocean Circulation Explorer or GOCEE. Say that five times fast Ahead was a thing of beauty built by the EAU, the European Space Agency. It was sleek, aerodynamic empowered by an ion engine, a propulsion system that used xenon gas to produce tiny efficient thrusts. Its shape was unusual, long and slender with fins, which earned it the nickname the Ferrari of Space.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it would be on a Formula one racing right track.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool. And again check the show notes. I have a picture of this thing. It's singular mission map Earth's gravity field with unprecedented precision. For four years, GOCEE circled the planet, revealing the subtle variations in gravity that shapes ocean currents, sea level rise, and the structure of Earth's interior. Cool some heavy stuff. Yeah, and you know it basically was delivering data that scientists only dreamed of. But in October twenty thirteen, Goose ran out of fuel. Without propulsion, the one ton satellite began a slow, uncontrolled descent. On November eleven, twenty thirteen, it re entered over the South Atlantic over the Falcon Islands. Most of it burned up in the atmosphere, but about twenty five percent, or roughly five hundred and fifty one pounds a debris reached the ocean.
Speaker 3: Was it the fucking islands? Oh, the Falcon Island?
Speaker 1: Falkland?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, okay? I thought you were swearing at islands or something like that.
Speaker 1: Fucking islands. GOCE was the first European Space Agency mission to make an uncontrolled re entry in more than twenty five years. Its fall was monitored closely and the agency issued regular updates. But the incident raised a question. If a one ton satellite can re enter uncontrolled, what about a ten ton one or one hundred ton one. The answer is later events show is that it depends on how well you plan. It was a quiet reminder that even the most elegant machines eventually bowed a gravity.
Speaker 3: Gravity's a bitch, gravity are what is that?
Speaker 1: From?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: From something No.
Speaker 1: Number ten Okay. Tiengong one, the Chinese space lab that lost contact. Tien Gong one was China's first step towards a permanent space I'm joking a permanent space date. A thirty three foot long, eight point five ton laboratory that launched in twenty eleven. Sorry, ah, don't know what happened. Over the next two years. It hosted six Chinese astronauts who conducted experiments, practiced docking maneuvers, and basically proved that China could sustain human spaceflight. In twenty thirteen, the station was retired. Shortly afterward, China lost contact with it. For five years, Tiangong I circled Earth in a slow, uncontrolled decay, its orbit dropping a little more each day. The world watched nervously as the re entry window narrowed. The European Space Agency published regular predictions, each one shifting by hours or sometimes days. On April two, twenty eighteen, Tiangong one re entered over the South Pacific Ocean. It burned up almost completely. No debris was found the end. The re entry was so far from land that no one even saw it, but the uncertainty surrounding Tianlong one. The fact that no one knew exactly when or where it would fall highlighted a growing problem. China had not shared its tracking data. Other nations had to track the station themselves. Ah And while Tiangong one ultimately caused no harm, it's at a precedent for uncontrolled re entries from nations that don't always play nice with international tracking systems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, China, like Russia, they keep a lot of things just only to themselves, like very close to the that's absolutely, I mean, we can't help ourselves if we I mean, we would be that way if we had that, you know that, if we had that kind of like personality as a country. But we don't. We're very loud and we say, well, what's what's in our minds all the time, So we can't help ourselves. But trust me, we would be like them too if because you know, they're huge countries.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Number eleven. The Jewels Vern, the European truck that took out the trash Okay. The Uropean Space Agency named their first cargo ship or automated transfer vehicle ATV the Jewels Vern, the nineteenth century French author whose novels from the Earth to the Moon and around the Moon. Imagined space travel decades before rockets existed. His stories inspired generations of scientists and astronauts, so when the European Space Agency built its first cargo ship for the International Space Station, they named it after him. The jewels Vern carried handwritten pages and copies of the author's books into orbit, a fitting tribute to the man who dreamed of the journey long before it was possible.
Speaker 3: And Dr Brown, Doctor Brown, Emin Brown from Back to Your Future.
Speaker 1: He also, between two thousand and eight and twenty fifteen, five ATVs delivered supplies of fuel, oxygen, and experiments to the ISS. At the end of each mission, each ATV was filled with station trash International Space Station trash and then deliberately deorbited. The first of these ATVs, the jewel Vern Jules Verne, launched in March two thousand and eight. After seven months in space, its mission was complete and it executed a controlled re entry on September twenty ninth, two thousand and eight, over the South Pacific Ocean, and the others followed suit, finishing in February twenty fifteen. Now, unlike most objects on this list, the ATVs were designed to burn up. You see, they had no heat shields, Their aluminum structures melted at relatively low temperatures and therefore no debris hits the ground. They were a model of responsible behavior, a reminder that controlled re entries are possible if you plan for them. The ATV program set a gold standard for disposal, proving that even a twenty ton cargo ship could vanish without a trace. Program also demonstrated that international cooperation can work. The spacecraft were built in Europe, launched on European rockets, and operated by the European Space Agency. They docked with the ISS, a partnership of fifteen nations, and when they fell, they were aimed at the South Pacific Ocean uninhabited area, the same spacecraft cemetery used by Russia and Japan, which we'll get into a little later in this episode because it's fascinating, because this place is really cool, and we talked about do you remember talking about this area of the Pacific Ocean when we did the Bump Point NEMO, Right, Yeah, this is all the same listeners we did an episode talked heavily about this section of the ocean in what the Bloop look up that episode. It's fun.
Speaker 3: That's right, That's what it was. I was trying to think of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what the bloop. Okay, I'm gonna try to get this one right. Number twelve. It's the HTV Kownotry, the Japanese stork Kownoturi okay, okay, I mean I can check you. Yeah. Cow Nory, Japan's H two transfer vehicle or the HTV nickname Commentory Japanese for Stork, was another ISS cargo ship. Between two thousand and nine and twenty twenty nine, htvs delivered supplies, batteries, and experiments up to the orbiting lab, just like the Jewels Vern. Each mission lasted two months. Each one ended with a controlled re entry, again just like Jewels Vern. The first HDV re entered on November one, two thousand and nine, after a successful mission. The final HDV HDV nine re entered on August twentieth, twenty twenty, after delivering a new battery system to the ISS. Now, Japan took re entry safety seriously, establishing its own regulations for controlled re entries and building redundancies into every system. Each vehicle could carried multiple navigations systems, backup computers, and redundant thrusters. When it came time to to orbit, the odds of an actual failure were very low, and when the vehicle fell, it fell where it was supposed to, into the South Pacific, far from any ship or island a person. So overall, the HD program, the HTV program was a quiet success story, the reminder that not everything that falls from space has to be a crisis. Okay. Number thirteen Progress M two seven M, the Russian supply ship that went rogue. On April twenty eight, twenty fifteen, Russia launched the Progress M two seven M cargo ship to resupply the ISS. Progress was carrying six thousand pounds of cargo, including one nine hundred and forty pounds of propellant, one hundred and ten pounds of oxygen, nine hundred and twenty six pounds of water, and three one hundred and twenty eight pounds of spare parts, supplies and scientific experiment. Soon after reaching orbit, flight controllers lost contact with Progress and the spacecraft began tumbling, and it became clear very quickly that no one could regain control of this thing. For ten days, Progress M two seven M circled Earth in this uncontrolled decay a dead ship with no one at the helm. On May eight, twenty fifteen, it re entered over the Pacific Ocean. The spacecraft was not designed for re entry, It had no heat shield, and it was supposed to burn up completely, and in this case it did. No debris reached the ground, but the incident highlighted a risk even a routine supply mission can go wrong. Progress spacecraft had flown more than fifty successful missions before M two seven M, but when it failed, there wasn't a backup plan. The spacecraft fell where gravity and drag took it, and while it falling, it fell into the ocean. This time there was no guarantee it would do so next time. Now some background, The trouble began almost immediately. The Soyuz rocket carrying Progress M two seven M, lifted off from the Bayingcore Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on April twenty eight, twenty fifteen, at seven h nine gmt, climbing through a clear blue sky. Initial reports suggested a normal ascent, but within minutes something went wrong. The spacecraft separated from the rocket's third stage improperly, leaving it about thirteen miles short of its intended altitude and in the totally wrong orbit. Telemetry later showed consecutive leaks in the occident and fuel tanks of the rocket's third stage, followed by an emergency separation. Fuel leaks from the booster had also occurred, meaning the spacecraft was not only lost but potentially damaged right from the start. On board video later released by ros Cosmos, or the Russian government agency responsible for the Russian Federation space program Star for All Mankind so ros Cosmo, showed the Earth spinning wildly outside the window, confirming that progress was rotating about its axis. The spacecraft was tumbling so fast that a full rotation only took one point eight seconds. Wow. Right, that is blindingly fast fast. This rapid rotation meant its solar panels couldn't track the sun, draining its batteries. With no way to stabilize the craft, Russian flight controllers called off the rescue effort. On April twenty nine, twenty fifteen. The US Air Force Joint Space Operations Center began tracking the spacecraft and soon reported forty four pieces debrias along its orbit fragments that had broken off even before re entry, suggesting the spacecraft might have already been coming apart for ten days. The world watched as the tumbling Progress decayed. The European Space Agency's Space debris Office, led by doctor Holger crag Strong name Yeah Hulger Kraft.
Speaker 3: Would be like a Swedishian or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah probably, issued regular predictions, noting that in an uncontrolled re entry, the vessel could fall anywhere between fifty one degrees north and fifty one degrees south latitude, a band that includes most of the world's population. The uncertainty window was huge. At oral speeds, a time uncertainty of just a few hours translates into thousands of miles of possible re entry points. On May eighth, twenty fifteen, at two oh four UTC, Progress M two seven M re entered over central Pacific Ocean. Ross Cosmos announced simply the Progress M two seven M spacecraft ceased to exist. Most of it burned up during re entry as designed for a spacecraft with no heat shield, and any surviving fragments fell into the ocean far from land. The US military tracking refined the time of entry to two twenty UTC, still over the Pacific, and then it was gone. The official ros Cosmos investigation concluded that an improper separation from the third stage of Saiu's rocket, combined with fuel leaks, had doomed the mission progress. M two seven M was not the first progress to fall. In twenty eleven, a similar third stage engine failure caused a progress to crash in Siberia, but M two seven M was different. It reached orbit before falling, turning a routine supply run into an uncontrolled re entry with a one in two thousand chants of causing a ground casualty, well above the one ten thousand risk threshold considered acceptable for uncontrolled re entries. So let's talk this real briefly. One in ten thousand is an acceptable risk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like accepting radiations that are harm but not gonna kill us. That's that risk though, Like that's usually money that's created sort of thing. But yeah, there is got to be a limit, and it's got to be an upward it's got to be a ceilion, a floor, two things.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that's the way they look at it, right, And if they're I mean, and that's how they started, right, What.
Speaker 1: Is the acceptable risk in order to keep progress moving forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Ten thousand, Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know when you consider all of human history that the human risk plus watch worse and you know, I can like it doesn't matter. Yeah, right, departments were built on the blood of a lot of people, for example.
Speaker 1: True. Yeah, well, luckily, you know a lot of these stories, they end pretty pretty well scary when it's happening, but they end pretty positively right. All right, Moving on number fourteen, Oscar.
Speaker 3: You're still with me on this, Yeah, we're halfway.
Speaker 1: Right, listeners are still with us. Number fourteen iss EP nine the NASA battery palette that hit house. Oh hit house. So this is the most recent and in some ways kind of the most alarming. On March eighth, twenty twenty four, so this is really this is the recent A small metal cylinder crashed through the roof of a home in Naples, Florida. It tore through two floors and missed the homeowner's son by two rooms, and embedded itself in the floor. A home security camera captured the whole impact. The object was a one point six pounds stanchion made of a rugged metal alloy designed to survive extreme conditions. NASA Lata confirmed that it came from a cargo pallet called the Exposed Pallet nine or EP nine, which had been jettison from the ISS in March twenty twenty one. The pallet overall weighed fifty eight hundred pounds and carried spent nickel hydrogen batteries, the heaviest piece of trash ever tossed overboard from the station. NASA had predicted the hardware were would burn up harmlessly after two to four years in orbit, but instead that stanchion survived and found its way to a house in Naples, and the incident raised kind of uncomfortable questions. Who's responsible when space debris hits a house? What happens when a planned disposal goes wrong? Now, under international space law, the launching state is liable for damage caused by its space objects, but NASA's a government agency, and the homeowner, Alejandro Otero, has since sued the agency for damages. Arturo said he was shaking and completely in disbelief, adding quote, what are the chances of something landing on my house? Was such force to cause so much damage? The Naples incident is now milestone the first space debris insurance claim in American history. NASA offered to settle the case on November twenty two, twenty twenty four, and the family accepted with no confidential restrictions. The agency paid a total of forty four thousand and fifty one dollars and twenty two cents to the Taros for their homeowners and their homeowners insurance carrier. Though modest, the settlement set a powerful precedent. When something falls from space, someone's ultimately responsible. It's a warning to space faring nations and a small measure of justice for a family caught in a one in a trillion event.
Speaker 3: Can I say that sounds like a I mean, borring any psychological effectors doesn't seem to be any. Is that that sounds kind of a reasonable probably the most reasonable sounding settlement I've ever heard. You think, I think it costs what it's a it's for the damages, maybe a little more. How much more can it be? Yeah, it sounds right to me. I mean that sounds actually reasonable.
Speaker 4: Millions kid one, Well, if you kill the kid a different style, it's a different story.
Speaker 1: If it kills a kid, obviously Donnie Darko's style.
Speaker 3: Right. It is not that I was a jet engine, though it was. That was a much bigger thing. But but you know what I'm saying, you don't often hear reasonable settlements. So okay, everyone expects millions off flick a punch in the face or whatever, like it's just a barf. I settled down.
Speaker 1: But like you know, forty four thousand, couple hundred and some change forty one point two two.
Speaker 3: That's more than it's extra leftover for a low vacation.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good to me. Yeah, you know, right, you know what, take it, take it, take the take the publicity, have a little celebrity for a little while.
Speaker 3: Also that I mean true, I tell a story for the ages, right, sure, that's cool.
Speaker 1: For sure, it got fixed.
Speaker 3: It's cool. No one died or got hurt, thankfully, as a dog fell through the hole or something after chasing her something terrible.
Speaker 1: How much then would forty four thousand be acceptable? Then if they lost a dog?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, no, I don't know how it works, but I think I mean I would put a fire like a fireman's pole thousand of through the hull.
Speaker 1: Sir, we gave you that money to fix your house. Fuck you, I wanted my fire pole, all right. Number fifteen. Now this is the mere space station the controlled end of an era. Mirror was the largest space station of its time, one hundred and twenty ton modular complex that orbited Earth for fifteen years. It hosted crews from the Soviet Union, Russia, the US, and other nations, a symbol of Cold War cooperation turned post Soviet endurance. But beneath the diplomatic veneer, Mirror was a floating catastrophe. It had been built to only last five years. Oh, it was kept a law for three times that long, and by the late nineteen nineties it was falling apart. The station suffered a catalog of crisises that read like a horror novel. A fire that nearly burned through the hole, a collision that punctured a module and sent air hitsing into space, computer crashes that left a station adrift, and a mysterious fungal infestation that began eating the station from the inside out. Yeah, crazy cosmonauts or Russian Russian astronauts right. Cosmonauts described Mirror as quote someone's very old garage where there's just been stuff put away for years on end and nobody's moved it end. Quote. I love that quote.
Speaker 3: It's space horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like yeah. NASA officials privately called it an orbiting lemon, so she wasn't doing good. Shortly after dinner on February twenty fourth, nineteen ninety seven, cosmonaut Alexander Lezupkin activated a solid fuel oxygen generator in Mirror's Cavant one module. The canister ignited, shooting a three foot flame across the module, with sparks and bits of molten metal metal flo in every direction. Dense smoke filled the station almost instantly. The flame blocked an evacuation route, so one of the two Suya's escape vehicles. Doc can I hye, please start over.
Speaker 3: From the top. Welcome to the show. I rewind so so surprisingly paranorm.
Speaker 1: My notes a page five of twenty eight. But I know that's not right, so all right. Shortly after dinner, on February twenty fourth, nineteen ninety seven, cosmonaut Alexander Lezutkin activated a solid fuel oxygen generator in Mirror's Cavant one module. The canister ignited, shooting a three foot flame across the module, with sparks and bits of molten metal flying in every direction. This is a I mean, that's this is huge in space fire. Bad right, this is this is a serious situation. DNSE smoke filled the station almost instantly. The flame blocked the evacuation route to one of the two Souya's escape vehicles docked at the station. The six crew members, four Russians, one American, and one German, put on oxygen masks and fought the fire for nearly fourteen minutes. The smoke was so thick they could barely see. After the flames were extinguished, the crew spent hours clearing the toxic smoke from the station's atmosphere. Four months later, on June twenty fifth, nineteen ninety seven, Mirror faced its most dramatic crisis yet. Commander facilis we'll just call him Commander Facili Russian, was remotely piloting an unmanned Progress cargo ship towards the station for a docking test. Watching a monitor and operating a pair of joysticks. He tried to coax the robot ship in for a gentle approach, but then on exis lickably, the Progress stopped responding to his commands. The cargo ship ram the station at speed. The impact punctured the whole of the Spectra module which contained science experiments and the sleeping quarters of the American astronaut Michael Full. Air began hissing out of the station. The crew scrambled to seal the hatch to Specter, but they only had seconds. In the chaos, they had to sever cables carrying power from Spector solar panels to the rest of the station. The loss of power was immediate and severe. Mirror lost forty percent of its electricity supply, forcing a shutdown of oxygen generation, water production, lightning, and research work. The collision also knocked Mirror into a slow, sickening spin. The station's solar panels couldn't track the sun, so the batteries drained rapidly For a few terrifying hours. The crew was facing the real possibility of abandoning Mirror entirely. This is a quote. The first thought was are we going to die instantly because of air rushing out so fast? We can't control it. Full later told the BBC the crew sealed off Specter, but Full lost all his personal gear, his clothes, his music tapes, his family photos trapped in the depressurized module.
Speaker 3: His mood.
Speaker 1: Then, yeah, it's portnt The station limped along at half power with failing systems, causing heat and humidity to soar and Mirror itself to list and drift. Dude, I can't even imagine how terrifying that is.
Speaker 3: No, I can't imagine the gravity much yes, much less.
Speaker 1: Yet a disaster in zero gravity right like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As if the fire and collision weren't enough, Mirror was also being devoured from within. In nineteen eighty eight, astronauts noticed that something had blanketed one of the station's windows from the outside. The outside. Several species of earth derived fungi had been brought up by visitors and had adapted to the space environment so well that they thrived on windows, control panels, air conditioners, and cable insulators. The fungus was corroding the station's integrity, putting both the spacecraft and its occupants at risk. It was yet another reminder that Mirror was no longer a pristine laboratory. It was a biohazard. Yeah, this fucking movie.
Speaker 3: This movie that.
Speaker 1: The problems never stopped. A month after the fire, a second main oxygen generator malfunctioned. A month after that, the carbon dioxide removal system failed On July first, nineteen ninety seven, a crew member inadvertently pulled the plug on Mirror's main computer, causing the loss of systems and forcing a power shut down with loss of most light, heating, and life support systems. And the list went on and on.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, by two thousand and one, Mirror was so old, worn and expensive to maintain the Russian government decided to end it on its own terms. On March twenty third, two thousand and one, a Progress cargo ship fired its engines to push mir into a controlled descent the final deorbit. The burn lasted twenty two minutes and twenty seven seconds. The station broke apart over the South Pacific Ocean and debris fell into a remote area near Nadi, Fiji. It was the largest controlled re entry ever attempted, and it went exactly as planned.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it sounds like it did, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's controllers had calculated the trajectory down to the second. The station's breakup was modeled in advance, and when the debris splashed down, it did so in the South Pacific Ocean uninhabited area. That same spacecraft cemetery used by the ATV, the HTV and other controlled re entries. Mir proved that with enough preparation, even the biggest objects can be disposed of safely, A fiery goodbye to the station that had been home in space for a generation. Today, Mirror's legacy lives on in the International Space Station, which was assembled partly from module design for Mer.
Speaker 3: And the same mold was carried over.
Speaker 1: Now and when the ISS itself is diorbited, which is planned for twenty thirty, it will follow Mer's path, a controlled fall into the South Pacific where no one lives. But the story of Mirror is not one of triumph. It's a story of survival against impossible odds. A rusted, fungus eaten, fire damaged, collision scarred relic that just refused to die, and the men and women who lived on it somehow who also refused to die along with it.
Speaker 3: It's like my first car right.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, Yeah, I'm sorry, I need to drink. I've been talking so much.
Speaker 3: That first car mine was. It lasted way longer than it should have.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, as you've heard throughout this episode, not everything that falls from space lands on a roof in Florida, or in a town in Argentina, or on a woman's shoulder. Most of it, the vast majority, in fact, ends up in the one place on Earth where no one lives, a place so remote, so utterly empty, that its official name is the South Pacific Ocean Uninhabited Area. At its heart lies a coordinate called Point Nemo, the oceanic pole of Inaccessibility, the farthest point from any land mass on the planet. It's truly the loneliest place on Earth, and it's also the world's largest spacecraft cemetery. The South Pacific Ocean Uninhabited Area is not marked by buoys or painted on nautical charts with a special symbol. It's defined by what it lacks land, shipping lanes, and for the most part life. If you doggy paddled or floated on your back at Point Nemo, you would experience a form of isolation almost incomprehensible. The nearest land is more than one thousand, six hundred and sixteen miles away in every direction. Deucey Island, part of the Piccarin Islands to the north, Motu Nui near Easter Island to the northeast, and Mayhere Island off the coast of Antarctica to the south. All three uninhabited by the way. That means there is no permanent human presence within an area of roughly eight point five million square miles of open ocean. The nearest humans are often the astronauts aboard the International Space Station, orbiting two hundred and fifty eight miles above the Earth, significantly closer than anyone at sea level. Mine just explit's so crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the way I heard when I start about Point Nemo, I forget where it was many many years ago. I was also fascinated by it, But the way it was described to me, either told to me or I read it, is that it is such a lonely right thing, distance from everything else in the world, that you might as well be in space, because that's how it feels, the only place you can feel like space and the loneliness as a as an unearthed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't even imagine what it is out there at night, what it looks like, what's look great? Terrifying? Now. The name Point Nemo was given in nineteen ninety two by He's a Croatian by ravage Luka Tella. We're just gonna call him Lukatella.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he read Jules Varron. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: Hervogi hr voj E. I don't even know how you say that. Lukatella a Croatian Canadian survey engineer. Using a geospatial program he developed to calculate the point furthest from any clothesline coastline, he named it after Captain Nemo, the fictional submarine commander from Jewels Verns twenty thousand leagues under the Sea. Yeah, a fitting tribute, as Nemo is Latin for no One. The region's formal designation the South Pacific Ocean uninhabited Area. It's less poetic. It's less poetic, but it's accurate. It's accurate now. The sea here is cold, averaging about forty five degrees fahrenheit, and the depth at Point Nemo is nearly two and a half miles down. Sunlight never reaches the ocean floor. The waters are part of the South Pacific Geyer, a vast rotating current system that is largely cut off from nutrient rich upwellings, so as a result, the region is one of one of the most biologically desolate in the ocean. Marine life is minimal, mostly microbes and the occasional deep sea scavenger otherwise nothing cool. In fact, Point Nemo is so remote that it has spawned its own legends, And we did an episode on this member the Bloop. So in nineteen ninety seven, deep water hydrophones detected this ultra low frequency underwater sound near the region of Point Nemo, which was called the Bloop. The scientists dubbed it the Bloop. The sound was powerful enough to be heard five thousand kilometers away, and for years speculation ran wild with a giant squid, some unknown sea monster, a secret military test, wasn't me. The answer eventually is, supposedly, it's a lot more maintain the blue mundane. The bloop is actually a sound of an ice quake, a large iceberg cracking and caving and breaking apart in Antarctica. But the mystery, the mystery just added to Point Nemo's aura. And again go check out the Blop episode. We covered this extensively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the aura, that kind of aura is compounded by the fact that, much like space, we don't know what's going on under the ocean for the majority of bar still to this day. So like, you know, all that as tood like for me to triangle shit things like that just further away.
Speaker 1: Yeah now. Point Nemo's extreme isolation makes it ironically one of the most valuable pieces of real estate on Earth, at least for space agencies. In nineteen seventy one, the United States, Russia, Japan, and the European Space Agency have deliberately crashed more than two hundred and sixty spacecraft into this remote patch of ocean. It's the only place on the planet routinely used as a controlled re entry zone, a spacecraft cemetery where the largest human made objects are sent to die, and the logic is simple. As we've seen throughout this episode, large spacecraft do not always burn up completely during re entry. Fragments can survive the three thousand degree heat and reach the ground. If those fragments fall on the city, people die. If they fall in the ocean, no one dies. By targeting Point Nemo, space agencies reduced the risk of a catastrophic ground impact to near zero. According to NASA, the likelihood of spacecraft degree hitting someone in this part of the ocean is about one in ten thousand.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The first spacecraft sent to this watery grave was a Soviet rocket stage in nineteen seventy one. Since then, the list of notable burials reads like a history of the space age. Six Soviet Salute space stations, one hundred and forty five autonomous Russian supply ships, five European Space Agency Agency automated transfer vehicles, four Japanese HTV cargo graft, and the Russian space station Mirror. Even spaceikes ex rocket capsule has reportedly ended its mission in these waters. And in case any people are thinking about savage or doing some sight seeing, don't. None of these spacecraft are intact on the ocean floor. Re Entry is a violent, destructive process. What reaches the bottom is a field of twisted metal, shattered composites and metal alloys scattered across a massive area, rather than piled neatly in one spot. So don't go there. It's it's a cemetery, not a museum. It's a crime scene where the victims are machines.
Speaker 3: So when the when the machine uprising happens, that'll be their first like graveyard they can honor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll go salvage like pieces from there. The spacecraft cemetery is about to get its largest occupant yet. NASA plans to deorbit the International Space Station in twenty thirty or twenty thirty one, steering the four hundred and fifty ton structure straight towards Point Nemo. The station will break apart during re entry, but debris will splash down.
Speaker 3: Oh, I do too, I do too.
Speaker 1: It'll break apart and debris will splash down over that remote stretch of over. The exact timing depends on solar activity, which affects drag, but the target is fixed, the loneliest place on Earth, And for a few minutes, the loneliest place on Earth will be the brightest lit by a fire of a falling space station. Then the water will close over and the silence and darkness will return, And even after the isis is gone, the cemetery will continue to fill more cargo vehicles, more spent rocket stages, and eventually the next generation of space stations will all make the same final voyage. There's no other option. The only alternative to a controlled re entry at Point Nemo is an uncontrolled re entry somewhere else. And somewhere else might be your backyard. Now here's the thing. Most of the objects we talked about tonight fell into the ocean. Most of them burned up, and few horrifically, But most isn't all. Lottie Williams got tapped on the shoulder by a piece of rocket, a house in Florida got a hole in the truth, a Canadian forest got sprinkled with nuclear debris, and a Chinese rocket flew over every major city in the world and no one could say exactly where it would land. We're putting more space, more stuff into space than ever before, more rockets, more satellites, more space stations, and we're leaving more of it up there to fall down whenever gravity decides it's time. Controlled re entries are possible, the ATVs, the htvs, the mere deorbit, they all prove we can aim our trash if we want to. But uncontrolled re entries are cheaper, they're easier, and for now they're still legal. The question isn't whether something will fall, it's it's weather will be ready when it does, And that's all I have to say about that what goes up must come down.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask a question that I know it's stupid, know you don't know the answer, and I know the answer is very simple and probably obvious that I cannot think of. That many will be asking, is that, why can't we just send things further into space instead of like worrying about it coming back down littering our oceans.
Speaker 1: I'm the only factor I could guess is money. It would cost more money to get enough fuel to push them into that level of space.
Speaker 3: To go into outer space from our orbit.
Speaker 1: To go into deep space.
Speaker 3: Let's say that's right, really that much worse? Really that much? I wonder that's the.
Speaker 1: Only thing I could think of. It's gotta be otherwise, Yeah, why not what I'm saying, unless they're afraid we'll piss off the aliens, you know, if we because aliens are really putting this in our backyard.
Speaker 3: For because you know, if we were let's say, if we were living I don't want to keep bring enough for all mankind. But if we were living in an age where we cared about our space travel a lot more and we were more advanced, I expect to predict a we would be in a situation where we were throwing our own garbage. That we're having a lot of problems with putting on islands of landfills into space as a solution, because that's the ultimate Garbage's boldo is all of space infinity. The only thing I'm okay with littering is space because we're all litters in it already. That makes sense to me. But you know, like, how are we not we just focused off. We could just be sending our garbage into space and not to mention all these it's got to batellites and ship It's got to be cost. It's got to be everything is cost. Everything is the problem with costs, which is something we only impose on ourselves, by the way, you know that, right, We only impose it to ourselves because we.
Speaker 1: Want to you mean, we always want to money.
Speaker 3: I mean, like it's cost, Like it's that's a silly reason.
Speaker 1: I mean, what what other reason could there be?
Speaker 3: You're right, I think I think you're right. You know, you're probably right.
Speaker 1: But I also think you're right in that that's got to be the only place to put the ship.
Speaker 3: That is the only place that everyone's cool with is infinity. It's infinity. Put it in infinity, put it right, is an infinite bag of holding cults space.
Speaker 1: Yeah ah man, yeah, God, I found literally as.
Speaker 3: A kid too. But like I used, don't even know how.
Speaker 1: To how fucked up is that littering the cosmos?
Speaker 3: It can't be done. Give us a trillion years, we won't even do any You're right.
Speaker 1: You might not ever see it again. There doesn't was it space X?
Speaker 3: If any of aliens come back with our garbage, like, is this yours came to our backyard?
Speaker 1: You know who launched ah, I should have worked well, it didn't re enter, so it wouldn't make sense in this episode. I think it was space X who sent the convertible out there.
Speaker 3: I heard about this.
Speaker 1: There's a convertible out there flying. Someone's in the cockpit. I don't know if it's a dummy of elon. There's someone in the cock in the in the driver's seat, not cockpick, so copy like a dummy. And it's out there cruising man out there beyond the stars. You know it's gone so far.
Speaker 3: Great use of money, but definitely not make anything useful with it. Definitely not. Definitely not.
Speaker 1: I mean that that's junk, right, that's junk out there in the infangat.
Speaker 3: But that was not That's not to say the plane. We're not throwing all in garbage like we should. We have real worries here. We have microplastics everywhere. We shouldn't be worried.
Speaker 1: Michael prest classics in our brains.
Speaker 3: Yeah, scary and my boobs.
Speaker 1: Pieces. Yeah, scary stuff. And it's only getting worse and there's no solution. So there you have it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thanks that. Sorry fucking boomers man, Sorry.
Speaker 1: Listeners, I brought you down on that one. But yeah, it's just getting worse and worse. Kessler syndrome terrifying. Yeah, it is one major collision is going to send millions of pieces like bullets for generations. It doesn't even compute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do believe that while the first lunar station liverable and commercial of any kind will not be in my lifetime, it's possible, but I just don't think it will be. I do believe that the first fatality in lawsuit as a result to falling space debris will be in my lifetime. Will happen in my lifetime, it would be I believe that far more likely. It's what I'm saying. Yeah, certainly, then that's going to fucking Mars. I have no hope of going to space, that's my point.
Speaker 1: You yourself, yeah, yeah, oh, I don't even want to fly in a fucking airplane.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, I'm saying in a sense that like okay me and myself. Yes, but I mean like happening in while I'm alive to see it like on TV or whatever or reading it at at all. I mean, I just don't think.
Speaker 1: So they're saying by so artemists just launched, which they're saying people are saying are fake, is fake. So they did a reconnaissance of the Moon. They swung around the Moon and came back home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's nice to go back to the next year, it's lovely.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty seven they're supposed to actually land and then come home, and then in twenty twenty eight they're supposed to start building the first moon base.
Speaker 3: I believe that is the long as we don't fuck up those steps. Yeah, but they're being very nice about that time period. Yeah, so, I mean it's almost always pushed away a couple of years.
Speaker 1: We could see a moon base. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You have more and more hope than I did that we did it.
Speaker 1: We did one of the episodes where there was a construction company, let's call it in Texas by NASA's by NASA base in Texas where they were doing remote control tests of excavating equipment to be able to control a bulldozer here on Earth that's sitting up on the Moon. And they're already doing the tests years ago that they started these tests. So the equipment is in Texas and Houston, and the operator is in a completely different state controlling this thing remotely. That's to put it on the fucking Moon, to control it from all this stuff is in place. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not saying it's I'm not saying it's not impossible. I think everything's possible. I just don't have any faith of it happening while I'm alive.
Speaker 1: Let's hope. Think that would be pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: That's the commercial too. I want people to go up there. I don't want just like five scientists up there.
Speaker 1: I just don't. I don't want to see eat at Joe's when I look up at the Moon at night. You know what I'm saying. I don't want to see a burger king fucking sign.
Speaker 3: You don't want to see ads. I don't want to see as that's always gonna happen. Jay, the more we like capitalism, it's gonna happen. I mean, while there's capitalism running rampant.
Speaker 1: Yes, will World's best coffee?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that future from Black Mirror with the bicycles. I don't remember whether where they're like them.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 3: It's the future, it's the first season. It's the future where like they're all running bikes for energy. Everyone in the world provides energy on a daily basis, on on, like on the stationary bikes there for exercise.
Speaker 1: What are they're called ellipticals? No, I think it's a stationary bike. Okay, whatever, ellipticals.
Speaker 3: And everyone has to unless you pay for every single individual add to be ignored. You have to watch every ad and they all based it on your blink, like, so if you close your eyes, it's it pauses for you until you open it so you can finish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do not remember that.
Speaker 3: As so many there's a lot of fucked up things in an episode. That's one of them.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I got off track. I was gonna say something else, but I love space stuff. I love it. What about that guy from we talked about him, that one guy from Vegas, Nevada who build all those contraptions involving like an accordion, like inflating and deflating space stations for cargo and possible living habitats.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the guy that did the NI see or you whatever. He had that. Yeah. He was the guy who owned the Uenta basin the ranch. Yeah, yeah, that guy he did stuff like that. Yes, he had a space program thing. He was into space a lot bigger aerospace. He had that invention with the habitats, but the infloat it inflated and deflating things.
Speaker 1: I remember that. I think when we talked about Skinwalker Ranch, we might have talked about that every day.
Speaker 3: We did it on the background of him, because he was the owning Skinwalker at that time or in a while anymore.
Speaker 1: But that's right. I mean we've done you know, biodome experiments here on Earth where you know astronaut people, right, but there is there's a massive, huge one. I just watched a documentary on it a few months ago where you know, eight to ten people who would be astronauts were locked in this thing that had an atmosphere, it had a desert, it had an ocean, it had everything. And the thing was could they survive here simulating on another planet surfas you know, and they couldn't. You know, they couldn't. They couldn't get along and things fell apart and turned to this whole thing. But I mean the experiments are in place. We're working on that technology. We've been working on that technology. Now it's time we go out there do something.
Speaker 3: They won't let us go. Okay, but I don't want to go anybody else.
Speaker 1: I don't want to go. No, no, thank you. So that's it. What do you think it was fun? I like that long? Not too long? No, no, it was definitely long, but stop interesting.
Speaker 3: It was definitely long. I'm not gonna say. I'm not gonna lie and say it wasn't long. Definitely wasn't long, but I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Oscar take us home on a Suez rocket. Sometimes that helps, Dude. You can. When I have sore throats and stuff, I gargle with whiskey, no joke. It's the old I feel like.
Speaker 3: I feel like it's a wild West. You talk.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, that's passed down generations, generations, and I think it worked. A couple of weeks ago, my back tooth was really bothering me. It really hurt. So I took some whiskey and I was swishing and holding it yeah in my mouth back there, and man, I swear of got it made the acho away.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna show you a clip. Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope nope, Stop talking, stop talking, trying to find that it's with uh.
Speaker 4: With uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Some sub continent licoration. The trooths combined with the badsaf and a strong sholl whiskey ginger up. Also I'm mixed with the.
Speaker 3: Citrus peel and a strong shot of whiskey.
Speaker 1: Of course, in fact, the ginger root and citrus pan will still be well on you, just a whiskey, just like that. It's exactly that. It's true.
Speaker 3: Lord John Marbury listener, Oh my god, we're there as welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're about to say? Four five four three tins? Well?
Speaker 3: And it would it be if we only attracted cars as our democrat And it was.
Speaker 1: It was a fucked up. It was a so I got a car, I did not go with the tesla. I did not go with the tesla. I guess some of it had to do with like, man, you know, if I'm driving somewhere and someone throws a brick at my car or keys it, like I don't want to deal with this nightmare I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I'm pro shating people into not buying a fslow. I'm fine with it.
Speaker 1: There you go. I thought I don't love that.
Speaker 3: Definitely was stopping love it. Do you watch this in too?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Oh yeah, the Nazi World.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so funny, so funny, funnier still that I didn't immediately get it either. What do you mean that I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice the town? Yeah, no one, I don't think anyone did.
Speaker 3: No, I'm sure some people did, but you but but yeah, but like it's so I'm not saying I was disappointed on myself, but a little bit that I didn't get it because I guess I'm just so used to and that's why they played on watching American television and getting used to seeing all white actors in a place, and that's what And it just threw me off because I'm so used to it. I should have I should have been notified.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 3: And when they show him what about that fucking Hitler post, You're like, oh, I didn't see that. That was funny.
Speaker 1: That was funny