Speaker 1: Wigan handed. The Nights are spanking York missed tackles, they have to be thanking the wire. I had a night to forget lead to worth a title winning bet. Sorry about last week's podcast break. We did that for John's domestics sake. Welcome to episode twenty five of Super League three sixty, a podcast primarily about the top tier of British rugby league, but we do some other things as well, and we will be doing today. My name is Lee Addison and my name is John Davidson. You were busy last week, John, that was yeah. I just had some time off, a bit of a quiet one. I'm a coach in Australia, Johnny's journal in the UK. But please read previous Sorry, listen to previous episodes or read the descriptions to find out exactly who we are. Otherwise, this podcast will be three hours long. This is also being aired on Rugby League dot Com. Thank you to those guys, and you can watch it on YouTube on Rugby League Coach Rugby League tweet of the Week. I'm going to give it to Steve mask Aad and Paul Schoolthorpe the ninety the eighteen ninety five Cup final, Steve Massquad said, is going to lose a shitload of money unless they get the venue for free. Monday Witness versus London Rugby League is a broke sport. The Championship has no broadcast deal. The idea that they would hire a venue in Birmingham or something has no relation to reality. Steve was having a bit of a ramp there. John, Yeah, I he was on fire this morning. I did a commented one of the tweets saying are you fired up?
Speaker 2: How you fired up? Mate? And he didn't respond That's how far up he was. But yeah, he was. He was a man on a mission on social media today or yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yesterday it was your time. It wasn't today because I've seen it. What was it about? What's his eighteen ninety five? I haven't got well.
Speaker 2: Effectively, they've finally announced where the final will be played, which is at Warrington. I think obviously it's Witness Speed London in the final. I think a lot of London fans are unhappy obviously that they'll have to travel that far to a ground which is obviously very close to Witness. Look, we could probably do a whole podcast on the eighteen ninety five Cup.
Speaker 1: But I think, why don't you explain what it is for those who don't know, first of all, because we've got a lot of listeners in Australia who want have a clue.
Speaker 2: Yes, so it was invented, I'm going to say six. Yeah. It's effectively a competition for all the clubs outside of Super League, so for the Championship, well for the Championship in League One clubs, which is now just the Championship clubs because there is no League One. And the idea of it was have it at Wembley the same day as the Challenge Cup final. It's an opportunity for you know, these clubs that look no chance in hell of getting to a Challenge Cup final, but they could have their day in the sun at Wembley. Now, part of the problem has always been that it had to be played because of the scheduling of the day. It had to be played after the final, so literally there'd be two thousand people in Wembley after the main game left to watch it. So that never really worked and so they've taken that away because of the cost. This year, for some reason, they've decided to had have a public holiday on a Monday. I think it's three pm or two pm a day after the last Championship round of games regularly the games, which is weird, and now they're having at Warrington now yeah, I mean, I think Steve's just been very blunt with some facts there which won't go down well with a lot of people.
Speaker 1: And was it a late announcement or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think it was announced last week at some point they'd only announced that the date of the final was on that Monday in August at the end of August, a couple of weeks ago, which also didn't go down well. So it also doesn't have a naming right sponsor, so it did. It used to be sponsored by ab Sundex, which is Derek Beaumont's company, and he stopped sponsoring it at the end of last year. So it's a competition, a cup to be honest, without a lot of value, no sponsor, no media coverage, no TV deal. And also I believe the IMG points that you previously if you'd won it, you don't get any either this year. So why we're still persisting with this I really don't know. Then there was another one. There's a late entry. Paul skull for MBA. No less, this is a dreadful advert for super League full stop, terrible, full stop. What was he talking about though, He was talking about the Sint Helens Alsfield game today, which which Sint Helens won pretty comfortably. What I found interesting is that I don't know. I don't know Paul. I've never spoken to him, interviewed him. But obviously he was a great player, wasn't he a great Britain regular, probably one of the best English players of the last thirty years. Yeah, and obviously some of Helen's legend. He's been and he's been a pundit for a while. He's, you know, sometimes on Sky. He's been particularly scathing in recent months about St Helens, about their recruitment, and I do wonder because he's previously not been like this before, whether he's you know, he's got issue with the coach or how they deal with Paul Wellens, or just the direction of the club. It's really interesting. But yeah, he didn't. He didn't pointy punches, did he with that? With that?
Speaker 1: No, Johnny tweet of the week is actually a retweet. I've not given you the honor of one of your tweets being the tweet of the week this week, but it was the random South guy. Rarely disappoints because I just want to talk about that concept of the random Seuths guy. I'm sure I saw him at the Capital Insurrection on January the sixth in twenty twenty or whenever it was. He does literally seem to pop up everywhere, the random suth guy. Now, the random South guy isn't one guy, is it. It's anybody in a South shirt. And a lot of this came up prior to AI being so good that you could just do these things on a whim. So why do South Jerseys keep popping up everywhere? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit of a phenomenon. I don't know exactly what you could say. One of the oldest clubs in Australia and have won more Premierships than the other and have got a very large fan base, but they do pop up everywhere from World Cup soccer to wimbled and yeah, they probably would have been one at the JFK assassination in Dealley Plaza in nineteen sixty three. You sayim in WrestleMania, Yeah it is. It always is a tackle when you see one of a global event. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have two theories, one being the role of Russell Crowe in the fact that his own club now being an owner of the club for I think two decades now, so you know, that would mean the Jerseys just slip into places retail wise that others don't. Secondly, the design, I mean the design pretty much hasn't changed, right, so and it stands out and it's plain, and it's it's quite iconic. So Thirdly, I think when they got kicked out the competition all those years ago, I think some people just spread, like Yoda in Star Wars just went into isolation, just went into exile. I think so many South people did, and and that's why they're popping up in all these places. So if you see a random South sky, please take a picture. Sorry, go on, I was just going to say, just on that with the Russell crow thing.
Speaker 2: I do remember there was a phase I think in the early two thousands we always had Hollywood A listers at games wearing South Jersey. It's like Tom Cruise, Snoop Dogg, I think, Pamela Anderson.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure that's plan to helped, you know, to the to the masses as well. Yeah, that would have definitely helped. Now I want to talk to you about the super League table and the difference with the NRL table. Well, I just put my coffee from my takeaway cup into my normal cup. The super League table, John is a lot easier to read because you don't get points for a buye. Well, there's no there's no buys first of all. But in the NRL ladder you have to do a quick calculation because they get two points for a buye. Why in the NRL do we give two points for a buye?
Speaker 2: I don't actually know the reasoning for that. That's a good question.
Speaker 1: That's a really good segment that we've just put together. There on a whim, Leeds Rhos the top of the ladder. And the reason this is so easy to read is because I can look and see played fifteen. Yeah, twelve, okay, so Leeds are on twenty four points, Warrington still in second on twenty two, but they've only played fourteen. Who k are have only played fourteen and they're right up there now in twenty on twenty points, so their resurrection is well underway. Everyone else has actually played fifteen, So wiggan Aer in fourth on twenty, Wakefielder in fifth on twenty. Saint Helen's are in sixth on twenty, so that's the top six. Lee Leopard's in seventh on sixteen, Catalans on sixteen. Another resurrection under JC? How often is the resurrection under JC?
Speaker 2: Have to ask?
Speaker 1: That's John cart right for those wondering his old club. Sorry, cas for Tigers are in ninth. That's good from them. They're in twelfth. They've they've snuck up jc's old club all left. C are in tenth on ten points, Bradford Bulls eleventh on ten to lose in twelfth on eight York Nights thirteenth on six Huddersfield Giants rock bottom on four. Thing that sticks out for me, John, is how condensed things are in the top six. So a'll just play four their secondly, look at our promoted clubs propping up the table with the exception of Huddersfield Giants who are propping them all up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's you could say, at the top of the league. It's kind of a full way about at the moment leads at top. You know, we're in the whole car being in great form. The last what five, six, seven weeks. Leeds are being pretty consistent all season. Warrington had been fairly consistent all season, Wakefield picking up some momentum and Lee picking up somementums and Helen's have one today, but I think they'd lost something like forward their last five before that, so I don't think we'll see a lot of change. I wouldn't surprise me to see Lee move Saint Helen's out of that top six, but there'll be some interesting tis to come. Obviously, Magic Weekend in two weeks as well at Everton, so yeah, looking forward to that one.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you've told me when Magic Weekend is because I just had a panic. I had a panic when I get to the fixture section. I had a panic that was going to read out all these pictures and then go it's Magic Weekend this weekend. So I had a look at googled Magic Weekend super League and you know, I might be wrong. I've only scanned it quite significantly. The link to the Betfred League Magic Weekend stuff doesn't tell you when the date is.
Speaker 2: That's not ideal.
Speaker 1: Right at the bottom, it says on Sunday, the fifth of July. Jax Jones who has over nine million global streams. Now, it doesn't tell you that magic weekend is that weekend though, so anybody with autism, for example, would genuinely think, well, all that's happening that weekend iss a fellow called Jax Jones in at the Hill Dickinson Stadium. So yeah, not ideal. We will go through the details of the games later. But one of the topics you've brought up, Johnny, Saint Helen's struggles now, as you know for ever on the various podcasts we've done, I've said Paul Rowley struggles to coach defense, but it seems as a bit more going on at Saint Helen's than poor defense.
Speaker 2: Talk us through it, Yeah, I mean, I think the second half against Warrington last week was a bit of an eye open. I mean, obviously today they've beaten the worst team in the camp.
Speaker 1: What happened last week, john Because we didn't do a podcast, did we saw some people no no.
Speaker 2: Against Warrington had a bit of a second and half collapse and Warrington came over the top of them. I think, I mean, watching them a lot, they do seem to struggle a little bit like New so Well instead of rogerin game two. They do seem to struggle to create opportunities in attack. They seem quite one dimensional. Now they've kind of struggled in getting Jack Wellsby back to top form and finding a spot for Tristan Saylor in their lineup. They have had a lot of injuries this year, but it just doesn't really seem particularly that fluid. Now Carl Phelp's gone as well, returning back to OZ so just from the outside looking in, the club just doesn't seem to be very united in what's going on. The fans are quite unhappy and restless. Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. I mean, as Paul Sculthorpe tweeted, you know, one of probably Sinahan's greatest ever players. You know, things don't seem to be right at the club of a moment. And that's a huming that's who he's talking about. I mean, he doesn't really make it clear, does he. And he's tweeting so.
Speaker 1: At Castleford there's some changes going on there. Do you want to enlighten us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was quite a bit of roster change. Now the latest news last week or this week he's been Jason Gary Gary. Now they announced that he had re signed with with Cass. He's been in really really good form, scoring tries for fun in the last month or two. Now. My understanding, having spoken to people at York and Castleford in the last couple of weeks, is that he'd actually signed for York to join York next year, but had a change of heart and wanted to stay Cass, and there is talk that Cass may have actually paid a transfer fee to York to to keep him for next year. Now no one Cass would comment on this. York didn't respond by calls that, but that is the specially of speculation is the out there and he is. My understanding that he had signed with with York, so a bit of a weird one because obviously he's a cast local junior, not particularly old, but he has he's having a great season. But there is a wider movement at castle players. Tom Weavers going to be going at the end of the year. I believe Joe Westerman also won't be resigned. There's a few others there. Alex Maller I believe as well. And obviously we've talked in other podcasts about the signings that Cass are making. Damian Cook. There's a lot of talk about Tyrell Sloan from the Dragons also coming to cass. Obviously, the cast coach, Ryan Carr, was an assistant coach at Sinjohnora last year. They've already signed Tyler Tyler Duprie. They've already signed Robbie Moulhearn from Leafing. Next year, they've signed Pot from Catlin. So a huge bit of change of Cast and I have turned the corner a bit in recent weeks. So I think if you're a Caste fan, they obviously had a good win over to lose this weekend. I think if you're a cast fine, you're looking a little bit more positive than things were, you know, a month or two ago.
Speaker 1: I think again, if you listen to us historically, there were some of the defeats where you and I both said, oh, not bad from Casts, and they're better than that. And there was a period where they were a bit bipolar. One week they'd be really good, the week after they'd be they'd be not so great. And then I assume as things have settled out and panned out and settled down, they're now starting to come good and things are getting a bit more solidified and Obviously Ryan Carr has got his feet well and true under the table. I feel like we've brushed past it. It's something that you and I have been quite heavy on since inception, so we're not being wise after the fact. But we're going to get to York getting absolutely battered soon. I mentioned it in the opening exchanges of this pod, and those three promoted sides are only being propped up by Huddersfield at the moment. What's the genuine feeling about the quality of Super League at the moment? And the quality of Super League can be two things. It can be the quality of the play on the field, i e. The standard, and the other thing it can be is the entertainment value. When I do scroll on social media or my rugby league coach Twitter, it tends to be overly negative from fans, and I do know that British rugby league fans can be overly negative sometimes. What's the general feel that you're finding in terms of the quality of the competition with the fact that we've added two new sides and technically three new sides because Salford dropped out and there was an extra third team. Quinn, where are we at? John? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's difficult to answer a part because obviously I can give my opinion, my take and look, I think I wrote I see someone retweeted it today. You know, I wrote back in I think it was June last year about you know, they were going to bring in new teams and this is likely to be disaster because we don't have the playerpool, you know, and obviously to lose to New York weren't given the full distribution, so I can't recruit to the same extent anyway until this also have to pay close to a million quid in travel costs. So personally, I think there's been some high points in some games, you know, the World Club Challenge for example. You know, I think there's been positives, the return of Bradford. Overall, I think has been good. But the flip side is, you know, we don't have in the UK, we don't have enough players for fourteen teams. I don't think we had enough good players for twelve teams, and I think that was evident last year with what happened on the field. Now by increasing the quota, what we're getting now instead of we're getting top tier NRL players who are either unable to get regular games in the NRL, or who wanted to change, or who were maybe in the last year or two of their careers. We're now getting people who have never been any near an NRL club or you know, no chance of really just regular reserve graders. Now some of those you get and they turn out to be diamonds and the rough and some developed late and other ones are just clearly not good enough. And I think you know that shows if you're a purist, that shows on the field in terms of entertainment fact that we have had some entertaining games. But I really found this was interesting. What was a two three? He probably two weeks ago Steve Masko did an interview a story with Michael Chamis, who was over just before the Challenge Cup final in the UK, obviously scouting for the P and G Chiefs that he works for and holding meetings with the Worthy Peters. And that was the round where Wigan obviously rested their whole team and what a whole health care I beat them by what was the sixty odd whatever it was, And he made some comments just saying, look, you know, an NRL deal, an NRL investment in Super League would be great because it would lift the whole competition standard, it would help you know, clubs, and you know that it would make the competition more competitive each game. Now, the reaction to that story on Facebook on Twitter was basically, you know, super League's more competitive in the NRL.
Speaker 1: And you know what is this as you know, he's an idiot, that's what your mind. That's why you can predict to the top six are going to be five minutes into the competition. That yeah, in t that is yeah, only.
Speaker 2: Five teams have one Super League in what years haven't they? Yeah? Yeah, Now it was quite predictable. The interesting thing for me, and I haven't listened to the full podcast yet because I've been a bit busy, but Brian McDermott's interview with James Graham on the by Round and effectively Brian McDermott said the same thing. Now we didn't say the same words, but the NRL is much more competitive week in, week out and Super League there are more athletes, et cetera, et cetera. Andy said other things. But there's no outcry about Brian McDermott saying it because he's English. But if it criticizes, well not even criticize the English game just has an honest, truthful opinion. People whose time. But there is a very defensive mentality. I mean I've seen it. When I've said things, people get their back up because you can't have a foreigner criticize an English product.
Speaker 1: Well it's the whole thing to mean. As your friend, I can get it.
Speaker 2: You get at the reverse.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Well as my friend I can. As my friend, I can slag you off. But if anyone else slags you off, I jumped to your I jump to your your defense.
Speaker 2: Look, John Whyle, you get it on your social when you talk about the NRL to who's this English?
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah. I've just done some very very very quick assessments of score lines, right and very base. I mean I've done a quick scan of which games have been tight and which ones haven't. Right so far in June, and bear in mind we're recording in at the start of the fourth week. I think there's about twelve of twenty fixtures so far that have been one sided. So that's my knowledge of what a rugby league score line is. You know, So twenty two four is one sided, right, There's been one significant winner, for example, but there's bigger scores than that. In May, there was nine in the whole month. So what we're getting now is some some difficulty dealing with this, with this fixture congestion, if you like, or the regularity of fixtures in April. Just scanning because I've not got time to really go into detail, it looks like April was the worst month. So what that suggests to me is back in April, some teams are really struggling with the pace of the game, and then they've sort of adjusted things in training to get their energy back and to survive, and then they've picked up a little bit again in May, and then it's starting to collapse again in June. So and I'm looking at this from a from a coaching perspective, from a you know, if I was the coach of a team trying to trying to get a team through this phase, how would I manage them? How would I how would I how would I look at them in terms of in terms of load management with all these games that they've got going. So obviously these teams are really struggling with this, and obviously the worse you are as a player, and that sounds really horrible. The way have said it, but the less talented you are as a player, it's probably a result in part to the way you are professional or not professional. So the way you approach your professionalism is not going to lend itself to playing games week in week out against superior opposition. And then secondly, the quality of the player that we've got there is also making the games harder too, because you're playing against teams that are flogging you basically. So look, I think there's so many problems, and I think York's result this weekend, which we will go into, bear in mind, this is a team that in round one beat last year's premiers. Bear in mind we've had nothing but praise for York and the way they've attacked things. For them to get beat by that score line, nobody can tell me Super League is more competitive than the NRL.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I know West Tiger's got pumped the other week, but there's been some very very very very very big score lines in Super League this year.
Speaker 2: In particular, I think I think there's score lines is one way to look at the level of competition. You can look at numerous ways. I think when you watch games, you can see how competitive teams are and whether they have good periods or where they drop off. You can look at the amount of Grand Final winners over you know, you look and look at you know this year, I mean the Broncos, the reigning Primaries, and they've been pretty terrible. The Bulldogs are one of the top teams. Last year, they've been pretty terrible. You gen't really don't see I mean, not for a long long time anyway, you know, Wigan and Saint Helen's you know, in last or second last or you know, it doesn't really happen a turnaround doesn't really happen like that in in Super League because there is a golf in so many different ways, not just playerpool and finances and fan bases but everything. So I just yeah, I think part of the problem with experiension experience the competition of fortun teams. There wasn't an analysis done. It was a rush decision. There wasn't a lot of planning. You know, we may end up with fifteen, but you know, it just isn't There isn't a real detailed case to say, why should we do this, This will achieve X y z, we have this amount of money to do it. It's not been explained to me because obviously York and to Loose took half the Central distribution this year, but I was told by reliable sources that they'll get the full distribution obviously if they're in Super League next year. But where's that extra money going to come from. It may come from a better TV deal, but we don't know if we're getting a better TV deal, do we. That's been very quiet, So there's just so many unknowns at the moment, and generally the peers that they don't like people asking questions or they don't like, you know, criticism. That's valid.
Speaker 1: The conversation that we're having as well, so the whole we have this many teams in the competition. It actually goes against the concept of elite player development because you're singing the talent pool. So that goes hand in hand with the World Cup squad that's just been announced by Brian McDermott, who works at Gold Coast Titans in Australia, is announced a thirty eight man squad.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: There were no shocks in that. Nobody was admitted, I don't think, but people were added. The first question before we talk about who was in that thirty eight man squad and there's that many names in there. I'm surprised. I'm not in there. What what's that squad for?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Why have they name that?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a really good question. I think sometimes they named them just to create a bit of news and.
Speaker 1: A bit of talk, which I don't know, maybe that they don't say I've got an Irish granddad and would have played for them instead.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think the interesting obviously it'll be I think probably either a twenty four or twenty seven man squad for the actual Cup. But probably the interesting bit is the amount of Australian born or heritage players that by mcdernald has named. Obviously, Sean Wayne was dead set against that when he started, and then he kind of backtracked a little bit and had Victor Radley.
Speaker 1: In there.
Speaker 2: But there's quite a large number when you consider Jaden Brawley, Billy Smith Well Aj Brimson was the other one that came in lastly under Shaw Wayne, but then Caleb hamlin Ulli from Wakefield, Maxiking from Canterbury and Maxkan's obviously played for New South Wales in origin as well, and Ben Tolty from the Bristo Broncos, So I think that's got a few people's back up, even though other countries do it, even though England does it in cricket and rugby union, and you know, it's the way of the modern world.
Speaker 1: But it has it has pissed off a few people, you could say, so again, the national squad is one thing. Another thing is the direction of the game from a commercial point of view and a marketing point of view. And the RFL seem to have made a big decision and we only know this because of things that have been linked to certain journalists and certain people we know who's missed out on the RFL CEO role. Do we know any more though.
Speaker 2: Not as yet. It seems to be a favorite of talk that that ha decided on who the new RFL CEO will be. It's it's someone with some football connections, potentially to Manchester United who yeah, as a man City found.
Speaker 1: Out or they've been Manchester United have been a model of success for the last fifteen years, haven't they?
Speaker 2: I think? I think the interesting point is that that Tony Mester, of the former Manly CEO, who is quite played for Wigan in London and I believe is quite close to people at Wigan did not get the job. Now you could imagine that that Wigan would have liked to favor you know, we're going to have been opposed to the niger Wood regime. That's no revelation. So that's interesting. And it's also interesting, I think because if we are going to have a NRL deal with Super League and investment and partnership, it's logical to think that with an Australian running the RFL and someone who has close connections with people in the NRL, that Tony Mestrov would have been a helpful kind of conduit. So that's not happening. It also seems to me a Graham Taylor, who was another candidate for the job, an agent, he was pushed by League Express as a good option. So it seems to me, and I've heard this from a from a source, that niger Wood would have liked him as the RFL CEO. So he's not gone his way. So maybe this is a whoever gets the job, the unknown person is a is a measure between the two. Perhaps maybe a kind of a fallback. I don't know. Yeah, it's it's all very all, very interesting, but yeah, hopefully we'll know more in the near, very near future, and there'll be an announcement.
Speaker 1: I've also heard from a very reputable source that the person who may have got the job was a late entrance, so there was a deadline and then the ignored the deadline. What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: That would not surprise me? With the RFL, I mean, there are things that have gone on the RFL the last couple of years, a lot that I've written about, a lot that I can't write about because of you know, defamation and other things you have to be very careful about. But yeah, nothing would surprise me. I think it's a terribly run organization. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me. Lee. Look, I think you know the We've seen that the clubs still hold the key power in the game anyway, and it seems like Niger Woods still has the support of the majority of clubs. So whoever has that job will obviously it's a question of how independent or how much control they'll actually have.
Speaker 1: In terms of defamation and not writing things. Your job this week, Johnny's job is people who ask journalists who their sources are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had this, I've had this a few times. The last couple of days, I wrote an exclusive about who would be taking over Oldham a couple of days before that was confirmed on Saturday, and I think it was on Twitter. I had someone no picture in their profile, kind of made up name, no follower, like where did you hear this from? And blah blah blah blah blah. It's kind of like, am I supposed to say my sources are? Like the point of actually being a journalist is, you know, using well, getting people's confidences and not revealing you know who who who they are. That's the golden rule of journalism. Now people seem to suspect or know who your particular sources are. I wrote the story today about Nathan Kless, who looks very likely, Yeah, it looks very likely to be the next Whole Yard coach. And I saw some whole k R fan on Facebook coming I saw all the days ago. You know, where did you It's kind of like, well, I'm sorry, I don't scroll Facebook or social media for stories. I actually do have sources in the game, coaches, players, officials, referees, other journalists, CEOs, directors of rugby agents. You know, they come from all different places, and you know it's kind of laughable. I guess what people think journalists do, or how people think they get their information, and what the process is to stand up the information. I know journalists in the modern world have a terrible reputation. I do understand that, but I think you can only really judge individuals by their own reputation, and I think as a journal STOP developed a reputation over many, many years which is fairly decent or at least okay. But I also understand that if you write things that people don't like, then they're going to slag you off. So that's just part of the modern world. I guess.
Speaker 1: Now, in terms of full KR's potential choice of coaching Nathan Kalis, I've just done some quick googling and the only thing I can find about his coaching career is that the coach went with Ville in twenty sixteen ish and didn't get to the finals both times. So is there anything else? I mean, what's he done for the last decade?
Speaker 2: So he retired in twenty ten. I believe he worked in pathways at Para. He did coach Wentworthville. I think he coached the Warriors reserve grade side for a couple of years. He served as an assistant coach to the NR old team at the Roosters and at the West Tigers, and then I think for the last three or so years he's been the new so Worl's Cup coach of Paramatta. Now, when I found out about this today and checked it with a few people, the club haven't got back to me, but a few pretty reliable sources. It was quite surprising because he's not a name and just say he was a great player for Paramatta around for New Zealand for me years. He's not a name that's ever been thrown up as and you would know this Lee Like there's all there's already assistant coaches in NRL who are seen as the next NRL held coach.
Speaker 1: You know, Blake one.
Speaker 2: Deanie Young's obviously interim coacher, but he's been one for a while. Josh Hannay was for a while, Craigs fitz Gibbon was before he went to Cornala, Christian Wolf was before he went to Saint Helens and the Dolphins, Justin Holbrook was. There's always you know, one of those is Matt King at the moment now I think Matt King is the other Roosters. I think he's an assistant coach. Obviously, he's a consistant coach in you so well's now as my understanding that he was in the running for the whole KR job as well, or it was the least approached. But Nathan Chayles has never been mentioned in those circles, in those media reports in Australia for years now. You can take that one of two ways. You could say, oh, well, maybe he's not that good a coach, or maybe he's just not got people beaging.
Speaker 1: It's all path of least resistance in a lot of cases in my experience, who's got.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly that that definitely does play a role. I don't disagree there at all. So he's forty eight, he's had probably a decade a little more than a decade of coaching experience. I don't know if he'll be a good fit or not.
Speaker 1: I guess how long did you say he has been the Eels and South Wales Cup coach for I.
Speaker 2: Think about three years, three and a half years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, in twenty four they finished eleventh, in twenty five to finish third, and right now their twelfth So yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: I think just lasting on that, and I think it was you who mentioned this before the news came out in Australia about Ben Gardner. That was someone they reached out to. And he's obviously I was assistant coach at at Penrith and some you know has been some Oldkay coach well that they approached him and he decided to knock him back because he's obviously going to be the assistant at per and I think he sees that as a head coaching role in two or three years after MANINGA. So yeah, they've they've obviously looked around and and you know, down their due diligence. But whether he is the first choice or not, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's not first choice, He's not tenth choices the choice John is how I heard it once. Steve McLaren said that when he was about eighteenth choice of England manager in I worked out well ninety seven ninety eight or whatever it was. No, no, it would have been a bit later that two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: But just on that, I mean Gareth Southgate, he was highlight of his management career before England was getting relegated with but he did pretty he did the best in England since Alph Ramsey in sixty six.
Speaker 1: I'd love, I'd love, I'd love to have a coaching conversation now when it comes to why we select coaches. So I mean, we're going to talk about origin later, so let's not try and not get into the mine. But origin has been very interesting in the last decade and that it's been TV personalities that have been the coaches. So Billy Slater had never coached in his life before before he became Queensland coach. Brad Fhitler ended up failing eventually at the Roosters over well over a decade ago, so they gave him the job. Brad Phitler was a bit similar to Garret Southgate in the sense that he came through the New South Wales system, so Garrett Southgate came through the England youth system as a coach, so Brad Fhitler probably given him not enough credit there. And then their current choice Lori Daly. All I've seen him do is some betting stuff at the end of shows and radio radio. Yeah, so you know, and and then and they choose him and have probably chosen him because he played five eight for them for.
Speaker 2: Most LA was one of the players that's coming in you so well as an Australia in the last thirty odd years. He was a phenomenal player. But I think it's proven. I think doesn't he have now the most losses as an Origin coach ever, and you look at at least the first two games this year, not talking about the years before, but it's pretty much been a disaster.
Speaker 1: So yeah, the choice of Gareth Southgate and then Thomas Toucle since then in the soccer realm. In the football realm, I have to say soccer because just because we often talk about football as rugbyy, they've played some good football. I study all this stuff all the time. I've been reading lots about this. So if we go back and you mentioned alf Ramsey, Okay, alf Ramsey took elocution lessons. Alf Ramsey was a working class kid from somewhere down south and took elocution lessons to sound like he was an army captain and dressed in a track suit and made the track suit look formal. Right, That's how alf Ramsey and was very emotionless. And then after alf Ramsey they went with Don Reve. Now, Don Revey was more of a somebody who would say the right things to the board and could manage upwards and downwards. I suppose because Don Revey took leads and then was taken over Leeds were taken over by Brian Clough, who was enigmatic quite maverick, certainly one of my big coaching influences, but would also tell boards where to stick their football advice. And the FA didn't go with him. And then when Revey left them to go to Saudi Arabia, the clamoring publicly was for Brian Clough again, and then they went for Greenwood, who was the coaching director style person. Right now, let me tell you about coaching directors in English football in the sixties, a guy called Charles Hughes studied one hundred teams and one hundred games and deciphered that most goals were scored with three touches three kicks of the ball. So therefore put in place, using those statistics a system that men all English teams did long ball, knock it down with a header, somebody score off the second ball, and that happened for thirty years. That's how they interpreted those statistics. So when you get certain people of a certain way of looking at things. If you look at things statistically or scientifically, that's the danger of what can happen anyway, So we go through the England manager list and then and it's a really good study because it applies to any sport. So they've gone from Greenwood to Bobby Robson, who'd won some trophies, very good coach. They went from Robson who did well in the end, to Graham Taylor, not the one who went for the RFL job. The Graham Taylor, who do I not like that? Again a successful coach in lower grades, but it can't work out. And then they went with Kevin Keegan from memory.
Speaker 2: No, I think it was l Tel, wasn't.
Speaker 1: It yeh, Terrybles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they failed to qualify for ninety four. They went to all Tell.
Speaker 1: They did try ll Tell Tell Terry Vennables, who again didn't get on with the with the directors of the f A.
Speaker 2: The Blazer.
Speaker 1: He was only got they got rid of him for winning. And then it was Glenn Hoddle. GEEZU jumped a feudent or with Kevin Keegan. Glenn Hoddle's been a lot, Yeah, Glenn Hoddle was the ex player I'd say Glenn Hoddle was a Brad Fittler. Yeah, and then it went to Kevin Keegan. He was the Lorrie Daily, disastrous us. And then they went to a foreign manager, Spenn who who didn't talk in the same way. You know, football wasn't all about passion, it was it was a bit of an intellectual challenge.
Speaker 2: He kept his passion off the field. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we went back to an English manager, Steve McLaren, the wally with a browlly because he was, and then Fabio, and then Fabio to Roy Hodgson, who was that would be like employee. Yeah, that was like employing Des Hasler. Roy Hodgson would be like employing Des Hasler Roy Hodgson. And then they were like oh Sam allaedyes for a week. If you remember the part, the part of wine, they're good pints of wine. And then and then we've ended up with Garret Southgate because they got so low they ended up with somebody like Gara Southgate. Now that's a very long way of describing where we're at now. So England have gone from Garret Southgate, who saw his role as I think part of the English narrative beyond football I e. His twenty twenty letter deer England telling them not to be racist and things like that. Right, I don't think Thomas Tuckle, who's a German by the way, gives a flying flamingo about any of those things. Like the English players you know under Southgate took the knee, they had rainbows on the back of the shirts and all this got involved in some political things if you like. Thomas Tuckle doesn't give a flying flamingo about any of that, and he seems to be embracing things and there's a there's a key lesson in this. Sarath Sarath guth Gate, Gareth Southgate in the assessment of him, is that he was very good at getting everything where we needed it to be, but when the whips were cracking, he wouldn't take risks. So when they went one, they look after eight minutes, went into their shell and protected it. That sounds like an overly structured team to me, which is what you could accuse New South Wales a being because they've leaned on Cleary. I think a bit too much. Thomas took call at halftime against Croatia and obviously we've won one game, so it's coming home now. But halftime against Croatia at to All apparently said he said to the players at half time, if you're going to lose, let's do it our way. Have a crack, and he just allowed them to express themselves. If you look at origin right now, Queensland are expressing themselves. New South Wales are in a strait jacket and we could go through any rugby league team, we could go through any rugbilly team. I think Saint Helen's seemed to have gone too far down there. We'll just throw some structures out of the I'm not saying they've got no structure, but they seem to be too far down the creative road.
Speaker 2: You look at the Wiggan game against York, I mean quite a few of them eyes would just come from even at times they're pushing passes and forcing passes, throwing off loads that usually you be like, well that's not on, but they're coming off and they're just playing off the cuff, like Joe Field was just destroying people, just running. You know. It was kind of like backyard footy and Bevan French just kicking over the top, you know, chipping in behind, regathering. It was just they're playing with so much freedom and enthusiasm and energy it is very hard to defend against. And that Queensland, particularly with Sam Walker with how months to plays and Harry Grant as, Oh they have got that natural eyes up foot, you haven't they? And New South Wales well, I think taking out etheris strange putting in Moses who obviously wasn't fit. But you know clear he's not that kind of player, is he. Rhys Robson's not that kind of player. And yeah, second half of Game two was pretty bloody dismal.
Speaker 1: Even Wigan though, right We'll go back to Wigan. Their coach evolved from under Sean Wayne, who has been accused of being ovally structured when it came to play in Australia last year. At the start of this year Wigan were very very very very structured, very patient, and I think part of their unleashing their re emergence has been they've let some shackles off. They're true, true, only only Huddersfield can unleash. Anyway, we talked about coaches. If any of them haven't got a job, maybe they can eventually take over at Oldham when Alan Kilshaw gets the shits with what's going on off the field, and maybe Mestrof could be the CEO because something's going on at old and what's going on at Oldham. Johnny Boy finally got.
Speaker 2: New owners, that new take over. It's been well, we've covered the early the Bill Quinn.
Speaker 1: With Bill Quinn not there anymore. No, well, he stepped down.
Speaker 2: I mean he did the numerous Facebook videos where he referred to himself as the third person.
Speaker 1: And said Bill Quinn resigned, He's not going anywhere, and that's not what Bill Quinn does exactly.
Speaker 2: I hope they're all online because there are works of art. In a way. Then obviously in April, Bill Quinn stepped down citing your health. Now I hope he isn't ill. That has been suggested that that maybe that's not completely correct, that he isn't sick, that he is sick. But look, I hope he's perfectly fine. But anyway, the club was in a bit of a holding pattern and there were three different groups trying to take over, one involving Terry Fannigan, one involving by Ford and one Terrybles No no, no, hotel's not non involved. Yes, and you've got I can't remember the.
Speaker 1: Christ Terry Christian.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the one played there you put me off my stride? But anyway, what's his name?
Speaker 1: The hooker Hall?
Speaker 2: No? No, so he's part of the new group second over. But there was a Jordan Jesus proposing Helens for.
Speaker 1: A long time Henderson.
Speaker 2: No, he was at camera, very very brief. Anyway, there is a group now. They're saying that Martin Hall has involved, Terry Flannagan is old Gary Kersher is involved. Who's the local business of it all?
Speaker 1: If Flanagan's the next player, Yes, a legend. Bob Bledner on it all right, Bob Lindner is he on the ball? So my mate Roy Dewey is he on it?
Speaker 2: They've paid some of the debts, I believe, so.
Speaker 1: Hopefully I'll just keep interrupting you John to put you off.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For the long suffering Olden fans, there's a bit relief now because the funny thing is they've had to shed players throughout the season, you know, keep their wage go down. But they've actually been playing really really well. I think they've sorry one family, like eleven in a row. I think they're you know, entrenched in second behind Landon, who were obviously a step above, but they're actually doing really well on the field Aldumn, so hopefully some stability for them now with new owners in.
Speaker 1: There we go everything tonky Dory Warrington six, Leeds thirty four. Warrington scored through Ashton and Irwin kicked a goal. I don't know if that was Steve Irwin who did that for Australian Zoo. Leeds thirty four Sivol, But everything's normal again. Civol scored a hat trick, Croft scored, Newman scored, Hankinson scored and Connor kicked five goals. That's make as Evol's fifth hat trick of the year. Did you watch that game?
Speaker 2: Job? I did? I did it? Look it was impressive from Leeds. I thought they really ran over the top of Warrington, threw down a marker out the second half. Sivos just said they couldn't really They tried to get two men up on him, they just couldn't really stop him. They had no plan to contain him. And I think I think with Warranton that they're having a good season, but they went with the two young halves and I think they obviously they've got got injuries there, but I think they really need a more experienced half alongside one of the young halves. It's a big ask for you know, have an eighteen year old and a twenty twenty one year old in you know, eighty six and seven. But yeah, Leeds, I mean they've got whole caw this Friday aheadly that is a humdinger of a game. I think they win that and then you you really put them up there as a team that can that can win the camp and you know, I think there's probably three standout teams this year and that's Leeds we're going and Whole Carhull f.
Speaker 1: C ten Wakefield thirty six whole score through Bristol and Litton and Caesar kicked to goal. Wakefield thirty six two from Johnston, two from Nicotimo mckeekon and Tavanger scored. Joe kicked six goals, four wins from five and they are in fourth in Super League now.
Speaker 2: Wake Yeah, and the loss that they had was against Wigan, who obviously have been excellent, very good performance from Waki, some damn play from Hallersey. They had two yellow cards, one from sa Essay and one from Matatia. So yeah, I mean Hallosey's season has been abysmal, hasn't it? But film credit to wake Tom Johnston. Very very good form, you know, just they look a good way. Feel great to see them continue their their recent form.
Speaker 1: Okay, York twenty two tries to Hunter, Harris and Galiano also scored. Benison kick two goals, Wigan seventy two. It was forty four nil at halftime. Sa Wardle got two, Hodkinson got three, Kieran, who scores every week, scored only one, Field got three and Somber scored. French scored Farroman scored. Kieran kicked ten goals, two hat tricks, Gyfield and Noah Hodkinson. And it was at York's ground discussed John Yeah, I mean it was men against boys.
Speaker 2: Really. The thing about that scoreline in the seventieth minute it was seventy two nil. So York scored quite a few trials at the end, but it was seventy two nil. Wow, just crazy. I mean joy Field was on fire and Wigan were just you know, they were just throwing a ball around and just they look to be having a lot of fun out there in New York. Just some of their defensive efforts they dropped the ball and they just stop and just watch as quick picked it up and you know would run seventy eighty meters. Yeah, it was tough to watch.
Speaker 1: Big win for whole k Are hull KR twenty two eight hull Kr scored through Burgess, Hiccku, Whitbread and laland three goals from Martin Lee's eight came from Alec, Weyenk and Hodgson and they probably deserved that win. All up John, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think another good performance from ok tyerm May very he's having a fantastic season. Very strong again. Michael Lewis setting up the try with a nice kick. Yeah, I think Leo would be disappointed that they weren't really didn't really throw a lot of punches in this one. I'm considering they've dipping in great form in recent weeks and one quite a few games. But yeah, pretty one sided game that one.
Speaker 1: Catalan's resurgent under JC thirty four, Bradford twenty four tries for Catalansovich Allen Boss Gay Fartarpit Leaming and stains five goals from a Sparowl BChE. Bradford's twenty four from Sutton Ryan Wing got two Aikins goals from Atkin and Dean. That's their third winning four games. Catalan good Yeah, I mean good work.
Speaker 2: JC. Definitely Cruise Leaming put on a really great show. Scored a try, I set up a couple. I thought Bradford are very good in this game. I shared a lot of fight kind of win in particularly was outstanding out on the right wing. But yeah, good win for Catalans. I think it keeps them in the mix, but I don't really see them.
Speaker 1: What's interesting looking at these score lines, how many of these games were over by halftime?
Speaker 2: Really? Yeah, well, I think this was probably the most competitive game of the round. You know, it was kind of sea sawing and Bradford did have a yeah, trying to think who was the playmate. There was a try. This allowed for a footing to touch from a pass, which was the right the right call, but yeah, this was one of the more entertaining games. It was some long range tries and some some some quite catching tries as well. That's for thirty six thanks to Weaver, Lalo to Ganga Tongua guy Gary Gary got two, Sinny got one, ass he got one. Weaver kick six goals to lose his eighteen because it was twenty thirty six eighteen La Glaire stefaniet Rouge got the tries and SHOT's kick three goals. Again Castleford Castle would look on track now to me they've they've been improved as the year has gone on. I have definitely, but now very slick on the edges stage. And Assi was very good in this game. I think he got a number of assists scored to try himself and to Loose were really I'm sure exactly what scores, but they were well well behind before they started, you know, creating anything and obviously picked up a few late tries which leveled up the score line somewhat.
Speaker 1: Saint Helen's have ended their losing Super League run after a comfortable win against Huddersfield. Huddersfield have now lost eight in a row thirty eight six to Saint Helens. Tries from Cyrenon who got two McDonald Wormsley Robertson and Davis got two. Hastings I hope that wasn't Gavin. Hastings scored five goals and Huddersfield six came from Gaya and Flanagan got the goal. That was enough for Paul school Thought to tweet out.
Speaker 2: Well the funny thing was when these two times teams played, I think it was about six weeks ago. It was an absolutely dreadful game at the ACU Stadium and this wasn't a huge amount of difference at in St Helens. Yeah, I mean, how does Steel just looked at sleep at times? Terrible defense, not catching kicks in the back line, dropping kicks that were put up. Darryl Clark just having a field day A nine And yeah, I mean sint Allen's haven't been very good for the past five weeks, so I'll be very happy to get that result. You got some questions John on your X I did you it is your Twitter Twitter. I've got a few questions that I will read out. We'll go through quickly because we don't want to be here all day, do we or not?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm on your Facebook here, so you do the Twitter ones. I'll do the Facebook ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, We've got a question from Andy Preston. Well, the next TV deal announcement unlocked the transfer market and the event of a reduced next deal, do you predict an extusive talented other cloudes slash down under or is it more likely that players I just will agree with use terms. I mean, that's a really good question. I think it is very hard to plan or make any signings when you don't know what money you actually get next year, whether it'll be a reduced for expense. So I think there are some clubs who are holding back in terms of reduced next to you. I mean, I don't know if there will be an exodus of talent, but the fact there are two more our old teams just means there are more opportunities and clubs are particularly open to the English market. You know, made Lee's George Williams, Ledski, Newman Morgan Gangs obviously come back to Leeds from the Warriors. So it goes to show. I mean, if you look at the success rate of English players in the NROL League, what I mean, there's been some massive success one in two, one in three quite frankly, yeah, I would say probably more one in three if you look at how many actually you know, see out the whole contract and whether they become the starters. I mean there's huge successes, you know, the Burgesses, Graham, Elus Morley, et cetera. But you know there's people like Callum Watkins, Cruise Leaning, Dan sargentson you know, there's Lee moss Up. There's been a lot that has done nothing as well.
Speaker 1: So Nick Nick Gooje asked us on Facebook similar question, really about the NRL deal and new TV contract, So I think that wraps it up there. James Bailey asked about Hermann Essay. Essay's role to recovery. Is he an alcoholic or no.
Speaker 2: I think he's talking about his injury obviously. Yeah, he played against Wake and he got he tried to take the head off of Tom Johnson. It seemed a bit stupid and he got a yellow card for that. So I think probably a bit of frustration and how the game was going and he's coming out of the field, so yeah, not ideal for him, so he needs to But has he got an injury now, because the way he said that he got injured hitching in the head. So no, no, no, he got to go Like I don't think I'm not aware that he got injured in that game. But he has been out for a long long period with injury, and you know, one of the main players that I have to see, so he has been a big loss for them, you know, this year for the majority of the season.
Speaker 1: Really Mickey Reeves heard whispers of financial struggles at York, but players being paid, like any truth to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about York from a number of people in the last couple of weeks. Now I spoke to the chairman. He denied there was any financial issues. Obviously, as we mentioned earlier, they only got six hundred and fifty thousand compared with one point three million to the other clubs in Super League. So that's you know, I think their salary cap, their waves bill is probably around the one point two million mark while the limit is two point one. So it really goes to show and you know, that's a nod to why some of the results that they've had, Obviously the wig and one when you're spending so little on players. But that's the speculation. Now, there's no confirmation. I've not heard of. Usually when a club's in financial problems, they have hmr C debt, they have playing their suppliers on time, they're not playing players on time. There's been no whispers or talk of that as I understand it. I hope that everything is above board and going well York, because after what we had with Sulfur and Featherstone, and North Wales and Halifax. We really don't need another club in financial difficulty now, and I think talking about the fourteenth expansion, that would be a real slap in the face for the RFL if they expanded a competition in one of the clubs they brought in was in financial difficulty. So hopefully it's just and there's no smoke. Sorry, there's no fire with this smoke. I should say more questions on X. Yes, there's another one. There's one from Ian Horricks. What's happened to the restrictions on the number of minutes played by players that was all over the news last season? And the second part also, if we're chatting for OSSI's to play in the World Cup, why can't we find a halfback rather than positions? We're okay in the first part is a very good question. It's not really been talked about. There's been nothing official from the RFL about that, so it's a tad bazaarre. The second bit, it's not easy to find top half backs, is it Lee? Now? I think one of the halfbacks that is eligible for England, but I don't think he wants to play for because he's not English. He's Sam Walker. Now that's because he was born in Leeds because his dad was playing for Leeds at that time.
Speaker 1: But he's not going to want to play for England. And you can't manufacture half backs right exactly exactly, either you've only got English heritage or you haven't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm actually Nathan Fain and you've got a great Runny played in New Zealand. But yeah, it's not that simple to just you know, tout. But yeah, we're not recruiting for a club I think as I'm aware. I mean, apart from obviously Jackson Hastings who is in Super League, I don't know of any NRL halfbacks who have English heritage or who are eligible for England that apart from obviously DCE was eligible, but he has played for Australia many times, so I don't think that's happening. But yeah, I don't I'm not aware of anyone else who is eligible, but there may be someone out there. Any more questions A question from Tim Connley. Any news on the NRL doom seems to have gone very quick. It has gone very quiet, Tim. Obviously, with the news that Andrew Abdo is leaving has took away a lot of the focus. My understanding is there won't be any progress until the NRL does it's broadcast deal, and that seems to be There's been a few reports about that last week. Hasn't there leaving for him out? Yeah, I'm not confident that there will be an NRL deal, but no, I don't think it's dead in the ward as yet.
Speaker 1: But what I would think if they've allowed a late comer to become the RFL CEO, if indeed that is true, that would suggest to me that the current board, which as we know includes somebody hovering around it called Nigel Wood, is he actually on the board or is he?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, I think they've got a plan and they've got their own plan. And that suggested because because if you think about it, right, if you're of a certain mindset that you're the Diana of rugby league, right, you know, I'm the boss of rugby league in England kind of thing. And I'm only speculating here, but it would take an absolutely per faith to put loads of trust into somebody on the other side of the world to run your comp wouldn't it. It's quite a big thing and.
Speaker 2: That's where the money comes in. Live Yeah, that's where if if you say, you know, here's two million per club or a fairly lamb sum, and you can't really refuse that, can you, Because if you've got every club that's losing money, I don't think they're going to knock that money in the face. But in saying that the NROL has got on, it's played, it hasn't it. It's got, it's got, it's got Vegas, it's got what all the talk of the mine is about another team in New Zealand? Isn't it christ Church? Yeah? And I think from the super leap point there's a lot of still opposition to the NRL, isn't it. They're not. I don't think they're banging down the doors of the NL saying come and save us, or come and work with us.
Speaker 1: That's any more questions.
Speaker 2: There is a couple more sort of my phone's just dropped off, Gareth Dixon. How do York stay in the league? If Huddersfield are saying their IMG points are enough, are they in the mix to go down there? Flimbing coming in or does it go to fifteen teams? I think we've talked about this the last podcast. I don't know exactly skim through them, mate, skim through. I mean, I don't know the exact IMG points. But yeah, Hardersfield are saying that they're going to be fine. But look, I think we're going to find out at the end of the year. We don't know if there will be fifteen teen they are unleashed question from Ben what's the best method method to promote and market the game? Everyone was the Johnny Vegas TV ever, but there hasn't been anything since. Look, I think if you're going to promote and market the game, you have to have some money to spend on marketing and promo.
Speaker 1: I also, I also find it really interesting that somebody asked a question like that. And I'm not saying you shouldn't, but we I always remember reading Martin Sadly when I was younger, and he Owes used to say, the RFL need to market it better. What's marketing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: The marketings everything marketings. When you google something, you should be able to find the data when it's on you know that that's marketing. How you're marketing marketing is when there's a game on TV, all the fans should be in front of the camera in that grand stand there so if all three of the other grand stands are empty, it doesn't matter as much because because the the cameras aren't on them the majority of the time that things like that are marketing rather than just advertising in the London something like that, exactly, exactly, it's not social media. Social media is a huge thing.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's not just the Tina Turner simply the best ads. It's it's all the other things as well.
Speaker 1: And you know what rugby league should do is get Beyonce sing a few songs and then that will crack it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. In a serious note, it is interesting the RFL.
Speaker 1: A serious rugby league, got the nineties same things.
Speaker 2: Digital content creators. It's looking for those to kind of work for it for free. So effectively it's trying to get media fans to do media for free. It's a very interesting.
Speaker 1: Probably one of the best people to promote rugby league right now, right now as we sit here, is Andy Burnham.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I do I have found the and we won't go off too far an attendent, but I have found a whole make of field. BI election quite interesting because on the one hand you had Any Burnham, former president of the RFL, I think former president or chairman of Lee Leopards. You know, he's talked about his associations with rugby league and then you had Robert Kenyon run against him, the reform candidate who was a former I think he called some reserve grades. So Wigan Warrior is a big Wigan fan, but who was also banned from social media and you know added for lots of sexist prominence he made about female rugby league players and obviously wanting to sniff and nick Carol Vornerman's asshole.
Speaker 1: That's a companient to Carol. I'm sure he wouldn't do it to everyone's asshole.
Speaker 2: I think your cousin might disagree with you there, but as a labor MP. But it was interesting how both of than we're trying to use rugby league as a political tool in the election.
Speaker 1: Workington Man.
Speaker 2: Was it or the reverse working Man which obviously ended with any Burnham winning.
Speaker 1: Any more questions.
Speaker 2: From Adam? Was that your game? Yesterday's a Wigan fan, Adam are playing great, but honestly say, it's the first time I remember seeing players on the winning team looking embarrassed at the size of the mismatch. Yeah, I mean that's more of a comment and I can't agree with you there, Adam, that's that's a fair take. Question from Gary, what is going on with on trout Lee? Please come out if the media are gagged and say.
Speaker 1: So, what's going on with Lee?
Speaker 2: Out? At Lee?
Speaker 1: I thought he'd been announced going to please go to next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not really aware of what Gary's talking about. I don't think media are gagged. I'm not sure what he's alluding to. So yeah, I'm sorry Gary, I don't really know that.
Speaker 1: I think gary' is a fish out of water there, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Any more questions, No, I think that if there's any more on Facebook, I think that was all we had on Twitter.
Speaker 1: We have to go slightly longer, John, because you had a week off last week doing nothing. So Origin, your team, New South Wales, both of your teams were going to next Cross this week finally lost now soccer use Yeah yeah, Origin. It's looking really bad, isn't it. I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if the players sort of get together and go right, we're going to sort this Game three. I wouldn't surprise me if New South Wales won Game three, would not surprise me. But it would also be the worst thing to happen to New South Wales if that were to happen, because they need to have root and branch reform I think. I mean the choice of coach, the restriction on the players, how nervous they look, and how they don't look relaxed. There's so many things that need to change there.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, just bringing your bench hooker on at some point in the game when you need a spark would help your prop rotation. Your prop rotation, Yeah, I mean yeah, having Adam Vanua Blake on for what ten minutes then taking him off. I thought Paynehasse and Barnett dominated the middle in the first half and then they went off and you said, I, we're getting completely battered. I think, you know, not leaving Ola Klatu, who's one of the best edge forwards in the world, if not the best. Somewhat biased as a Manly fan, but not picking him was just madness. Mitchell Moses, who is a great player, but I don't think he'd played a game before Origin too, because he'd been injured. There's just so many things that it's very restling to talking about.
Speaker 1: And man the manly bubble has burst. I mean you're lost to the dogs, mate, Well, the Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say it was burst.
Speaker 1: I would, I would.
Speaker 2: I watched I watched that game.
Speaker 1: With you, with your with your maroon tinted glasses on with my mother. I bet you don't know. I bet you don't know yourself. You're looking at skyblue, sorry, through blue glasses on a Wednesday, and then maroon glasses on a Saturday. You don't know which side of the fence you're on.
Speaker 2: No, I'm very good too. I'm very good at, you know, separating myself from the from the contest. Look, I think anybody deserved to win. They they were a lot hungrier, They ran a lot harder in the second half. Four goal kicking foggedy. I think he hit the post twice and once DCE was was the drop goal exponing for years they just didn't set up for a field goal. Well, I've got to.
Speaker 1: I've got two takeaways left Canberra. They were in the top as the game and now he's gone to Many and then they're knocking on the door now. Well, secondly, you talked about the Bulldogs being more hungry. It looked like j TREVOI has has been hungry for a while. Did you look at did you see how heavy he looks all of a sudden Did you notice that? I didn't notice that, Now I did. Yeah, first thing, I noticed.
Speaker 2: That Mamina just faded badly in the second half, and I had plenty of chances to win the game, and I think it was the right result. So but of course, sorry, no, it's I say credit to the dogs. I think credit. I think Brighton as he it was some sort of weird stad. He's kicked three winning field goals in three different countries for three different teams, obviously Lamar against England and the World Cup in twenty twenty two. I was at that game at the stadium, yep, and he's obviously kicked it for the teams.
Speaker 1: That's great, that's great intervention. Yeah, there was what he starts credit Obviously. Obviously the NRL as well is impacted by Origin right now. I mean it's you get these shot results sometimes, don't you, in the middle of origin. I mean, even the Dragon's nearly won on Friday.
Speaker 2: Well, you could say the Gold Coast I only saw the last minutes. It was a very good last roam and it's been we're out without four players, weren't they? So that would help the times? Yeah, stupid? All right, let's tip next week.
Speaker 1: On Thursday, Warrington hosts the Catalans or as you call them the Catalans because you sound like a bank.
Speaker 2: Now the Wolves that one.
Speaker 1: On Friday, Castleford Tigers play against the York We only get paid sometimes nights.
Speaker 2: Nasty lying, that's that's nasty.
Speaker 1: Sorry I was alleged.
Speaker 2: Yes, I believe cast. Well, we'll get up in that one.
Speaker 1: Leed Rhinoles against hul Kingston Rovers on Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm going to be at this game that this is a hell of a game. It's really hard to pick, but I think the Leeds being at home and the fact that they beat whole KR twice last year, I just think they might might have the slide edge.
Speaker 1: All left C host Wigan Warriors on Saturday afternoon. Jesus, No he's not there. They might need Jesus. Depending on your belief is everywhere.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that could be a blood bath for you know, I think I think wigging by a fiscore.
Speaker 1: Bradford hosts Saint Helen's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's an interesting one. I think Bradford, I might to be a little bit of an upset and.
Speaker 1: M hm lose host Lee.
Speaker 2: Lee.
Speaker 1: So that's Saturday's And then I won obligatory fixture on a Sunday if indeed we have one at all, Wakefield Trinity host to Huddersfield Giants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think Wakefield by a reasonable.
Speaker 1: Then we go all right. So that was a bumper Super League three sixty. We promised we won't have another un scheduled week off, but John John was a bit busy last week.
Speaker 2: If yeah, if I get married again, we might have to. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll try.
Speaker 1: Did it go all right?
Speaker 2: Still married? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, what it was, I'm going to tell everybody what you said when we stopped recording. Yeah, yeah, I'll do it next Sunday, as long as I've not had too many drinks. And I went yeah, all right, and then I went away and I thought, nah, he's not gonna he's not going to be doing anything forcast someday.
Speaker 2: So that's why our.
Speaker 1: Communication wasn't great. But hey, hole, congratulations John and Emma and U. Yeah, I hope we had a great time. And good luck to you.
Speaker 2: Emma.
Speaker 1: You're going to need it. We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Take care,