Speaker 1: Welcome to the Transformation Station Podcast. I'm Christina, owner, operator, and founder of the Transformation Station, and this is where we talk about getting stronger while navigating real life. If you're trying to stay consistent through the ups and the downs and everywhere else in between, this is for you. Hey, listeners, welcome back to the podcast, The Transformation Station Podcast.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: I am so excited because one of our own coach, Tina, has joined me today.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: We trying to do this for a while. I know the time has come.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm excited. We're both excited.
Speaker 1: I think the listeners are going to be excited here.
Speaker 2: They'll be like, it's staying out, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 1: It's so cool though, like it's nice that we actually have this time to get together. And I know, like we're like ships sailing in the night sometimes and we don't always see each other because I'm usually here in the morning and you're here in the evening. But then when we do get to see each other, we're like, yes, yeah, this is exciting. No, absolutely, And also the members like they'd love to know more about you. But if they are in between classes and you're coaching a class, they don't really have that opportunity. So I feel like I learned something new about people and you and like the other coaches and members, like something new every single day. So I was like, oh, when you think you know somebody? So I got a couple questions for you.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. Let's get into it all right.
Speaker 1: So the first question is what was your relationship with fitness growing up? Was this something that was always part of your life or what does that look like for you as you became Tina?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I mean, I'm Nigerian, love being Nigerian, but it wasn't really part of any conversations growing up, Like fitness. I mean, I think when I got into high school that's when I had more conversations about it. And even from the older people write what they're doing, what sports they're playing, and all that stuff. So growing up, it wasn't much of a conversation. I want to say nutrition was more than that was really like the core of it, like what are you eating at home? What are the ingredients that like that my mom is making? She just kind of talk about it here and there, But that was really just talking about food, not necessarily like aligning food at what you're doing outside of the house or just in terms of activities, right, But that was really it. In terms of growing up, It wasn't really a major topic. It would come up here and there, and I want to say it was through like my parents and my brother because my friend, my brother was like a fitness grew he was. He played basketball like in his like teen years and stuff like that. So I got to give him props definitely for adding that as a layer of conversation at home for sure.
Speaker 1: Well that's awesome. Yeah, So what what did a typical day look like for you growing up? Like when you went to school? Did you play any sports or did you did you do any extracurricular activities or were your theater kid?
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't a theater kid. I was a dance girl. So I did do dance. I was in a few competitions growing up, and that was literally my high school days. Middle school, I did like sports and Dad's classes as part of like some programs and stuff like that. Never I'm like competitive level. But I think when I went to high school is when I started to do dance competitions, take it more seriously and then do a couple of sports. I loved volleyball. It's been a while though since I played volleyball, so no one tests me on it, but I just love that sport. It was just one of those things. And then cheerleading. A lot of people know that I always wanted to be in the movie Bring It On. That was a thing for me. It's my favorite movie of all time, and I just yeah, so that is as far as it went, like from middle school and like early high school or halfway through high school of like the extra stuff that I would do, But cheerleading is a thing for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the movie Bring It On. It's literally my favorite. And I remember a core memory growing up is after that movie, I was four of my friends and the movie cleared out as usual, and we went to the front and we started doing cartwheels, started to pretend like we were in the Bring It On movie at Woodbine Mall in Toronto, literally yes, Woodbine Mall, and it was just yeah. So I always tell that to members here and they're they'll laugh and I'd be like, so there some moves that we do with like y raise or whatever, and I'm just like this is channeling the inner cheerleader in me. And then people ask, oh, you did cheerleading, No, which is a wish of mine.
Speaker 1: So do you recognize this, I said, birt, it's code hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, that is a cheer like yeah, can you tell I love everything about that movie? Yeah, and the original. I love the original. I know they did a few more, but yeah, that one's But now. I loved cheerleading, and I loved I loved volleyball, like volleyball. I did do volleyball competitive and high school. And then dance. I love to dance.
Speaker 1: What was your favorite style of dance? Like, did you ever get intoel like jazz or hip hop or so?
Speaker 2: Growing up it was like hip hop and whether it was hip hop movies, I mean, bring it on too, But it was contemporary actually that I really liked because it was like a mixture of like all the different things. Right. And my teacher at the time, she had a background in hip hop, and when she said you want to do contemporary, I'm like, what's that. She's like, trust me, like you come from a hip hop background. We'll do different things. We'll do jazz, we'll do a little bit of this. And then she's open to getting like critique from like the team, right, like how do we spice this up or make it a little bit more unique which allows us to stand out. But I really like contemporary and I just kind of rolled with that for the longest time because I'm always interested in learning new things and trying things that maybe didn't work before. So yeah, that was my thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's super cool. Did you like the fast contemporary dance or like the slower.
Speaker 2: We did like because she was open to try and e merge it. So it was mainly contemporary and those are the competitions and stuff like that that we would go for, but she would have parts in it depending on the music that she chooses where we're doing like something fast, and then we would bring it back and like slow it down and so but yeah, I agree to love that, which I don't know. I literally thought I would just be like the hip hop girl. But I'm a contemporary girl now too, And probably why the reason why I like zumba because zoomba is just a mixture of different things, So I appreciate it for what it is because of my background, right.
Speaker 1: Anything like as long as I'm moving, Yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure, And then I look at other people, I like, I don't have to have to be songs that I'm always like I'm familiar with. I'm open to dancing to any type of music, right, And I have to thank my uh my dance culture at that time, right, because she kind of opened me to that too. Right, Just because you like a particular type of music, that's cool. But when it comes to dancing, you can add some of those moves and that flare into what we're doing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's a lot. That's a lot of skill to develop to do that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and I was young, like I was in like high school. Right. Some people will say not that young, but I mean I was young. So yeah, that's really fun. Huh.
Speaker 1: I feel like in like the first five minutes. Yeah, okay, so I already loved you so much, and now I have many others all.
Speaker 2: The things about Tina seriously, yes, yes, no, Yeah, moving.
Speaker 1: Into like the fitness, where did that start to transition from like doing like sports and dancing and always like moving essentially into strength training and doing cardio and everything else all mixed together and kickboxing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for me it was like, as I just mentioned, I had like a little bit of a back background and like sports and dancing and being active here and there. But I will say I am I mean, most people will say I do come across as a very confident person, and she seemed like she's got all her shit together and all that stuff. But I think in my late like when I got into college, so I am a creative director. I studied graphic design and around those years of like me kind of figuring out what I wanted to do with my career, I was very confident there, but I wasn't really sure what. I didn't have an answer to what I'm doing everywhere else, like my body fitness, like you know what I mean, what are the things that I want to do outside of my career? And those were the years when I was like, okay, and I had a best and I have my best friend, Allison, who's awesome. She was like and I'd had these conversations with her. She's liked, well, how about we start something. Let's just do something together and we'll see if we like it. And I was like, okay, sure, and she's like, I know, you're all about your career and designing. And I also had like a side business at the time, so that was keeping me busy. And the side business was just like providing like design services to people. And I was like, what are you going to get me to do? And she's like, well, I don't really want to do the zoom Bus, she told me, because I used to be a Zoomba instructor many years ago, so there was that, but it was only for like a few years that I was a zoomber instructor. And that's because my career got in the way.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I'm very very passionate about what I do and she's like, well, we're not going to do the zoom Bus and I'm okay, fine, we won't do the zoom Bus, but let's do something else to show. That's when my love for kickboxing started because we tried, Yeah with Alison, we tried two gyms in Brampton, Ontario, and one of them I literally could not keep up, Like I couldn't keep up. She's like very good and like very focused when it comes to the gym, my friend, and for me, I was like dying. Like it was. We did like a it was like a boot camp kind of kickboxing. It wasn't anything like the kickboxing that I would say that we love Christina. It was like hardcore, do suicides and all this stuff. And I literally I remember halfway through the class, you guys, I stepped out and I was like, I'll be back and I just needed to gather myself. And I think that was one of the wake up calls that like, girl, we got to get this together. If this isn't your class for you, let's figure out something else. And then I went back into the class. I'm like Alison, like, I'm not enjoying this, and I gave her that look and I was like, I'm not enjoying this. It's okay, Let's do like five more minutes. And then we ended up leaving and we had a good conversation and we tried another gym and we ended up going to that gym for literally like four years. Like that gym that we switched to, and that's where my love for I want to say fitness, being mindful of what I'm eating and kickboxing literally came to life in the right way. And I was able to kind of not put a pause on my career but realize I can have my career be good at it, but then also focus on other things too, right, and that will give me long life. That's another thing. So that is really where my love for fitness and kickboxing really started. And it was literally right before the pandemic, where the pandemic was just like I think a couple of years before that, before we all didn't know what was happening with the world. And so I want to say I'm grateful because it came at the right time because when things shut down, Allis and I were still trying to figure out ways to connect but keep moving right in a time in the world where we just there was no gyms and like we just got to figure it out at home, and we did figure it out. So I really believe that timing is key. Things happened for a reason. And although I did, like you know, the dancing and the past, and I did the Zuma instructor like for a few years, I wouldn't say that was love Zuma as a student. As an instructor, not so much, but it is part of my journey for sure. But I was like, please, yeah.
Speaker 1: You're not teaching Zuma because people are gonna listen to.
Speaker 2: This and You're like, let's have t D Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love being a student. I love being a student when it comes to kickboxing. I love being an instructor. And that's how we met right where I moved to Berry and I was looking for a gym where I mean, I could teach a bunch of things I can learn. I'm always open to learning, but I wanted to do kickboxing really bad. And that's what I said to you when we first met and I reached out to you. I was like looking for someone where I could teach kickboxing. I taught kickboxing Mississauga for many years, and I did when I like when I fell when Alison and I both fell in love with the kickboxing gym in Mississauga. We ended up doing it for a few years and then we both taught. She became a teacher first, and then I did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was part of like our journey together is just like, yeah, so she started, she took on the thing like being into meet into media and then becoming an instructor, and she's like, you know, you're just as good. You should too, and I was like, I don't know. But then I ended up doing it, and yeah, I taught a few years before I moved to Berry and then before the world shut down with the pandemic. Yeah, oh wow, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: That's interesting to see how like your journey like came because like I know you, and I know you right now, and I know the chapter that I walked into your life, and so like I know this and not even the whole chapter because I know a part of.
Speaker 2: It, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm like, that's cool. And I've also met Allison how many times, so now that makes sense because I don't see her coming for zoomo and else I see her come.
Speaker 2: For certain training training. Yeah, and then usually I know.
Speaker 1: Like, oh she's up visiting, and then okay, it's always work out food, working out food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's our thing. And literally it's from that conversation when I said I need to do stuff outside and worry about my health and what I'm doing and activities and stuff, and so that conversation that we had many many years ago, right is now where we're at. So she still does you know, she lives in Saint Catholics now she does her own gym, and I'm in Barrie, so we're far away from each other and we hate that. But yeah, so every time. It's funny because people are like, your best friend's here to work out. I'm like, that's our thing. Like we'll work out and then we'll go eat or we'll try new spots and stuff like that. And that's just one of the many things that we like to do together. Right, But there's just a deep meaning in that now that you know, like the history that it just like come and work out, But we remember where we were when we first started this and we had no idea where it was going to take us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome. What made you want to transition as a student then into an instructor and then moving to bury and then wanting to instruct again? Look what's that drive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, when we did kickboxing, it was all fun and like I said, we wanted to learn things. And one thing that we both realized, mainly me, is that we were in like toxic relationships around that time too, So kickboxing gave us our strength back. Okay, so even though she was my best friend, and I want to say through those years we became even like we became really close friends and then best friends. Like we were going through some hard times like in relationships around that time, and we would come and we would cry it out and then and we'd come and punch it out. And we weren't doing kickboxing where we didn't have bags, we'd be kicking each other. So a lot of times were putting that stressed out on each other and it was so fulfilling. It was so fulfilling, and I will always share that with people, Like even people who are coming new to TETUS and they're trying kickboxing or any other class, but mainly kickboxing here, Like I would tell them, I'm like, just everything in the bag, Like just put it all. If it's good thoughts, bad thoughts, whatever, everything, the bag can handle it. And there's deeper meaning when I say that, because I knew where I was when I first started kickboxing, and it made me feel like wonder woman, like you can't you can conquer anything, right, And I honestly that kickboxing and you know, Alice and I just having each other it got us out of those toxic relationships. And that was many, many years ago, but kickboxing helped us through it. And not even just kickboxing, but fitness helped us through those hard times. And I'm just so grateful to learn it. And like now the fact that I'm back to teaching it. And so when the pandemic happened and we're all like, what's happening with the world, and I moved here, I was missing that part. And Alison and I always joked that, like we really abandoned fitness. We both moved. You moved to Saint Catharine's. I moved to Barry and and we just went our separate ways. And it took us both a while on our own to figure out how to we get back to it. And now I can say, like, even when I told her I'm teaching, she's like, good for you. She's like, I know you love that so much to like teach and stuff like that. I'm like, yeah, And then I obviously invited her to come, But yeah, I really wanted to get back to it because I wanted to go back to feeling how I felt with just being in that environment and then also sharing that with other people, whether it's my story or even if they just don't want to know the full detail, just talking about kickboxing and what that did for my life. So I'm just so grateful to tt As for the opportunity to come and teach. But yeah, Cardio kick is that's my heart. I love that class.
Speaker 1: Yeah it makes sense. Yeah, I remember, like what you're like dead set, Like you're like Cardioka. This is awesome. So it makes sense because it provided you with something to your soul. Yeah, your whole self one percent. Yeah Yeahow I'm here trying not to cry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's just like the things that we go through. But yeah, you're right. When we first met, I was like Cardiokik, Cardiokik, Cardio creaky. Thank God for Christina, right because now I've been teaching for over a year and I'm teaching other things. But like you know, I was very set on that and you're like okay, and you entertain that for a little bit. Then you're like, I love your personality. We get along so well, like can are you open to doing other things? And I'm like okay, because I like you too, Christina, let's talk about it and so and back to the whole thing about in life, you just have to be open to trying new things. And just because you're set on one thing like I was with Cardio Kick. Yeah, years later or a year later, I'm still teaching other things and I love it. Just as much, right, cardiokick is it's a deeper meaning. But you can't you know, there's nothing wrong with trying other things. And I know at any point if I didn't like to teach any of them, you would have been welcome to that conversation. And have we had that conversation yet No. So I'm grateful, right because it's been so long and I'm still teaching the other things. So you just got to open your mind to try, like I said, try new things and opportunities that come your way.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Yeah, that's another thing where're like when you think you know somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: I dodn't think they're secrets or just like having the time to actually have a conversation. Yeah, like that's not about the gym. That's not about business or not about like this person needs this or we need to do.
Speaker 2: This or what's going on right now right? Yeah, Yeah, it's true. I like that so.
Speaker 1: Insane all of that. This is a nice question for this. What's something that people assume about you that is completely wrong? Like do you think that people do?
Speaker 2: I think people do. I'm a very moody person, so I think because I'm moody, people immediately think that she's not that nice. But then when I open my mouth, when I hop out of that mood or I don't really am in my moment where maybe I don't really feel like talking right now, and I start talking, they're like, oh my god, I was completely wrong about you, and it just really and I get that honesty everywhere I go. Like, if you don't know it to you will want to know. People say, you'll want to know Tina, Like just she's a moody person, and I'm also not a mourning person, so there's that as well. That's what I was. But once people like and it's not doesn't take long to get to know me. But once you kind of hear my little laugh and you kind of hear me make a couple of conversations, you're like, Okay, Like she's she's normal, She's she's totally fine. Right. But I do have like moods, and it's not necessarily I don't even know if mood is the right way, where like I can be the loudest person in the room and then a second later, or if for another class that can be the quietest person. It's just it's just my annoying aura sometimes, but that's just me being completely transparent like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the ebb and flow of the personality. Yes, Sels is like that too, which is not as secret as everyone knows when we talked about it and we laugh about it. It is Nikki and the morning. Yeah, she's not really a morning person at all.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why Nicky and I relate so much because she'd be like having a moment, Okay, I'll be back, Like I'll be back right, or I'll do the same. You can give her I'll be back because you know, we get it. It's just yeah, it's just how we are totally.
Speaker 1: Like when you learn someone and you know them. Yeah, it's like okay, that's a nod and now time okay bye, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you do.
Speaker 1: You have a second to give me an opinion or no, let me read. Okay, I respect it. I'm not gonna be mad about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all just like you know, like learning about people and then just accepting people for who they are. Right. But that's one thing that people always bring up. And it's like when I first met you, I thought you were very moody. I'm like, no, I still am. It's just now you know me for who I am. There's way more to me than just my little ups and what do we call it, Tina up and down or whatever? Exactly exactly, I'm still Tina for sure.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, So what's your favorite part about coaching and what's the hardest thing about being in front of the room.
Speaker 2: I I will say, when you're in front of the room as an instructor, I'm trying to think what's the hardest thing. So I kind of want to pivot and say, you gotta deal with the the ex the expectation, if that's the right word that everyone thinks that you're because you're an instructor, you're perfect and you're a ten out of ten for all of these different movements. And I'm very transparent and I make fun of myself here and there, just like I'm going to show you how to do this and you're going to conquer it. And this is not my most favorite workout or I'm not the strongest at this, and that's okay. So I think a lot of time going in the front of the room, people have that perception that like, oh, she's a beast or he's a beast and he knows what he's doing. Yeah, maybe five out of ten times that we're here to coach you through it, right, And Christina use the word coach a lot. You know, you'll hear her say instructor here and there. But we're coaching you through it. And at the same time, just as much as we're giving to the class and members, I'm feeding off of you guys just as much. Right, I'm here for a good time. I know you guys are sweating and we have this term and tts where things are feeling spicy. I know, impress me. I know because I'm either going to do this work out tomorrow I did it at home, or I did it this morning or for lunch, right, So I totally get it. So I think the most important thing is to be relatable. But I will say that's my favorite part is the fact that you have these conversations, and I always want to come across as relatable. Whether I'm doing front raises with five pounds or twenty pounds, who cares. At the end of the day, when we're in the room, we are all in this together. We're working through it, and we're sweating as well. Like trying to power through this workout. And so that's my favorite part talking being relatable. But I will say that the hardest part is just trying to get people to understand that I'm not perfect just because I'm at the front of this room and I might look at the screen and say something else and that's not what's on the screen. Like we're all human and you know what I mean, We're just kind of making our way through life. So yeah, that's that's how I would answer that question.
Speaker 1: I honestly I agree with that, Like there's so much when people think like you're going to be perfect and you're always going to be on and like there's so much that goes into coaching as well, because not only are you coaching everyone else to have a good time, yeah, you're like like for myself, I'm like, I'm just here to have a good time. If it's not a good time, I don't want it. And it also I had this conversation with a couple members this morning on jim floor between classes, and I was like, the coolest thing is is that we can leave our expectation at the door and what we do we actually have room to excel because then we're not afraid to try new things. We're not afraid to have those vulnerable conversations. And when you're at the front of the room, we as instructors, we leave our shit on the other side of that door. So it's like we we also halt our own emotions on our own things, and we make it here. We don't cancel classes, like we show up. We're here, and then we give the best that we can to everybody because a they deserve it. And one of the silver linings of that is, yes, I get to leave my own crap on the outside of the doors. Such a silver lining. And I would say, like, the instructor is not just the thermometer. The instructor is the thermostat. So it's like, I want to have a good time. I want you to have a good time, and I want you to leave here feeling proud and happy and capable because we are not holier than now. And a lot of people, like even as the owner of the gym, people will look at me and they assume that I don't make any mistakes. They know I make mistakes. Sometimes I write the programming and the spelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what I'm saying. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. We're looking at the screen, We're saying it's front rais and it's not like you know what I mean, We're just human, right, It's true. And I think it goes both ways. To to your point is like I am in that same mindset even when I'm here as a mem like being a student in one of the classes, right because I'm not always obviously at the front of the room, but when I'm in the class too, I feel even more relatable because you see me, like she's struggling with the front raises or she's killing it with the overhead press. Like I love that, right, Like just being complete transparent. This is our space. We're gonna make the most out of it, and we're gonna have good workouts, We're gonna have mediocre workouts, we're gonna have bad workouts, but we're still gonna show up for ourselves. And I think that's what's important. So I love instructing, but I also love and you know, putting the instructing slash coachat down and you know, be in the environment with another one of our amazing coaches and then just being a student and just kind of going with the flow, right, So I think it goes both ways.
Speaker 1: And it's cool because like as a as a team, like when I'm teaching step and I see you roll it on Sunday morning, and yes, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not a morning person. It's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like it's cool, Like we don't have like that thing of oh, there's another instructor in class, like oh no, like we have that thing that's like, oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, you're here.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, it's like, right, your best friend. I love that. Yeah, Like, yes, yeah, I love when I see another instructor. I'm like, okay, good, yeah, let's just power through it. No, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like that. It also removes hierarchy like like being in like I would come to more evening classes, but I would come about four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, for sure for me.
Speaker 1: So I like now that I can actually physically work out and teach classes. But when I'm teaching, it's not for me. I read the room. I feel like sweating and dying and yelling and like all those things. So I'm like, oh, I love that I can work out too in the morning and then by five, six, seven, eight o'clock at night, I'm like, Okay, if I don't have meetings or a lot of people that when they contact the transformation station Monday to Friday, generally they're working nine to five, so they're either calling me on the lunch break or they're calling me after. So I'm like, if I got to put out fires or if I need to have conversations, it's generally around those times, So I'm like, okay. Also my dips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but say that's in your body. Yeah. Yeah, there's some people that come alive might be ready to call it the day and conquer and very ready to conquer the next day. Yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But being in the community and seeing everybody, like I just love it so much. Like when I come here and I see people that I don't normally see because of their schedule in my schedule, I'm like, oh, no, it's so nice to see you. And the same thing. I know, like when you walk in at lunchtime, Kim's like, yes, I love Tina.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Every class year, I was like, I just love Kim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you say it just like that. I just love the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that we have that as a team that we can actually come in and like support each other but also.
Speaker 2: Get what it is to Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that that to me is amazing. What do you think as an instructor, What do you think there is one thing that a constructor a constructor Oh my gosh, that an instructor can have that makes them good, like got instructed?
Speaker 2: I would say listening. Yeah, listening skills, because when you come in I think listening members because I mean, they feel like we have obvious so much on our mind and so many members. But at the end of the day, I think when you listen, and even if it's like small stories like whether I hurt my elbow last week or about new shoes, just listening and then coming back to a member, who anybody right? I mean I think that's good in instructing, but in life listening because then next time you see them like how are those shoes? It kind of and I feel the same way too. It's like, oh my god, I told you about that. It's like you remembered. It makes for me, it makes me feel special, and I know that'll make somebody else feel special too. That like conversation that you had, whether it was weeks ago or even yesterday that you kind of bring it up before the person even mentions it to you, right, And I think when it comes to instructing, you're going to hear things that like, oh, I prefer to use a kettlebell than a dumb bell, right, and you kind of like remind them of that stuff or whatever it is. Obviously we can't be ten out of ten in terms of listening, but just even the smaller things, right, just remembering what this person said the other or you know, maybe they have a joke when it comes to like I don't know, overhead press, and you just kind of remind them of that joke. Right, Like, if I'm instructing Christina right now, I'll just sorry, you know, I know you don't love those ones, but we're gonna do them. And then just give that little like that little giggle. It goes back to what I said earlier. It makes you relatable. It just makes it like just very chill vibes because some of us whatever. You could be an expert at the gym, but we have to all understand that we're not all on the same level when it comes to fitness. Sometimes it's nerve wracking for people or maybe I'm just not having the greatest day. So even though I come in and I love the gym, it's just not my day today. So we have to understand that everybody's coming up with different mindsets on different days and different times of the day. So anything that we could do, if whether it's listening, whether it's being relatable and as always having fun, we'll definitely make the environment a lot better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't expect you to say listening. Yes, that's actually really good. And I think too, like I've hired instructors, I've let instructors go. I've had instructors for a long time. I've been really good friends with instructors and they've moved away and I'm still crying about it, so like we're still friends, but I'm here actually yeah, but like that's something that can't be taught. You cannot teach an instructor to care about other people. And that to me, the listening and the caring, like it meets together in the middle. If you pretend that you want to listen and you want to care, people can see right right, yeah, Like what's your agenda? Why are you here like as an instructor, and then what stems out of that, because if it's just to come teach a class, have everyone swear and like, to me, I'll always say, like coaching, instructing, it's a good side gig. It's awesome. There's room for different things of growth. But if you don't genuinely love people and if you don't care about others, someone who's a coach will not actually keep coaching, or people aren't going to come to their classes. Yeah, I'm saying that because I'm like, we had to cancel five forty five on Tuesday. That's because of summer. Yeah, like that's the time slot, that's because of summer. And right now a lot of instructors are feeling the heat of how come people aren't coming to classes, especially in the evening it's hot. They got things to do, they got families mostly, Like like that's kind of like the summer thing. They have barbecues and they're like camping out by a pool.
Speaker 2: Yeah I mean, yeah, yeah, I hear that. Other people are Yeah, me too, So like.
Speaker 1: It's really interesting, like, yeah, not teach caring about people from a textbook you cannot you cannot, you can cultivate. So I've talked about this before, and like you can cultivate a memory, but like I usually remember a lot of different things. So when I go grocery shopping, ironically, the story that I told you about being in Metro specifically, remember it was on Thursday and I went to go talk to the woman in the fish department. And I've talked about this before, so I don't know if you've listened to it, if the listeners have heard this before. I actually have a note section in my phone, so when I go shopping, it says the grocery store, and it's not what I mean, it's about who works in what department because I'll remember them. I'm like, oh, yes, you're Sue. You prefer Sue, not Susan from fish. You're a Peter that works.
Speaker 2: And you're really good at that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like when I go, I'm like, oh, yes, the guy that made a dresser around a milk crate. Yeah, like I'm gonna ask him, how's your milk creak?
Speaker 2: And this is exactly what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I remember the stories based on the name, but I want to make sure I get their names right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to me, that matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So and that is something that I have to write down, but the story is attached to it, and I'm like I love this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is And even since meeting you, I'm like better in that area because if you like just really trying to like get the name, get the name, and and so I I definitely in terms of like just learning more about people and connecting things that you've heard from them, like I do, I will say You've definitely helped me in that area to be better at that because it makes a huge difference. It really does, and it's appreciated. It really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, thank you, Christina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool to like when I'm like, hey, like I love nor one people's names because a I'm nosy as anything, and I do want to know why I started to do that. So this happened like more than a handful of years ago my first instinct, and I was the bottleneck of the transformation station before we started to see growth because I was actually very insecure as a gym owner, being someone that exists in a bigger body, if that's how I want to call it, what I want to say it. So when I would have new people come in, I wasn't one hundred percent confident in who the gym was, who we wanted to serve. I knew who I wanted to help personally got it, but I didn't understand the vision of the gym as much. When we moved, I rebranded and I'm like, no, this is who we're serving, this is what it is, this is what our general market is, but our whole umbrella is kindness, and this is who I would like to have in the gym. So I know the personality type that I would like in the transformation station, and so do you because you see it every day and it never comes here. They know when they walk in. They're like, oh yeah, two people today came up to me and they're like, I just love the community, Like everyone here is amazing. Thank you for creating a space like this. But I created that space, and I rebranded and really leaned into that because of my own insecurities, and I'm like, when I come to work, I want to know everybody because what makes it more enjoyable is being around friends. So as soon as I started to really learn people, and there's some people that would come in and I'm like, oh, that's a really pretty person or oh, like she's already fit. She came from a different gym, and then I would like rewinding. Before I would get insecure about that, but now I'm like, hey, where did you work out before? What do you love to do? What brought you through these doors? And I really appreciate when people come from other gyms or if they've moved and they say really nice things about that other gym, like oh, you were of my people. It's very rarely do we have the market of the people that come in and talk poorly about another gym. And if or when that ever happens, I read flag that in my brain because I'm like, oh, I don't really love that someone comes in and they're like, oh, well I went to this gym, but it didn't work for every reason. It's a fact, and it makes sense than one hundred percent. If people start like like picking apart, like personality types.
Speaker 2: And stuff like that, I'm like, yeah, the past, no for sure.
Speaker 1: Because there's all different personalities. Yeah, but that's why I decided to really go all the way in the other direction that I'm nosy. I'm like, you have a dog? Can I see you puture of your dog? I want to know everything, like you have kids. You don't have kids, do you want kids?
Speaker 2: You want kids?
Speaker 1: Like even sometimes things are even like really personal, but I'm like I want to know everything. Like there was a couple that came in for an inbody not too long ago, and I was talking with them and it was just some real personal stuff got brought up, which is fine to share, but I had similar journeys. And I sat there and I talked with them like they were my best friends, and like I was crying and the people they were just like looking at me and like telling me like their their stuff. And I wasn't afraid to ask questions. But I also I'm very open that if I know that someone is like no, I don't want to talk about it. Like I can read people really well for sure, and I've learned to do that just based on like psychology and reading like what it is that they're saying. But I switched so now I used I used to be like, oh, you don't want to be my friend. I don't want to be your friend. I don't want to be your friend because you might not want to be my friend. Whereas now my personality as an instructor and as a gym owner. But everything kind of that's just always My personality is I don't care if you don't want to be my friend. I'm your friend. What are you talking about? Like, I'm your friend first, and I believe in you first you are yeah, so then if if then it gets reciprocated, I'm like, we just became best friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go best friends? Yeah yeah, like the class you yeah.
Speaker 1: Christina, I was on vacation. Why are you answering me right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Go by? And I think that's even too, like it shows growth, right, and it also showed that like probably before you would just immediately just kind of make the assumption that like that to know. But I feel like now, you know, with your accomplishments that Jim and just getting to know people in this community, it's like I'll try a little bit more to say, Okay, you know what I did, pour in what I can, right, and probably a lot of times you get it's appreciated, right, But before you're probably like maybe kind of a little bit closed off. And I think that's why sometimes you just like when you said you when and you rebranded and all that stuff that took reflection, right, you had to sit there and reflect a little bit and then good things come up. And sometimes the reflection can get ugly and it can.
Speaker 1: Be tears and divorced to get through that reflect.
Speaker 2: Right and at the end of the day, you got to look at it like you know why you're doing the reflection because you want it to only go up from here. But then you also want to bet it yourself. And I will say that you definitely did that. So reflections are not always bad. It's really good to just and even if you just want to do it by yourself, or you want to bring one or two people that you trust and that you know, we'll be honest with your reflections with you by all means. I've been really big with that the past couple of years because I know even with my reflections good and the bad, something good has always come out of it. And when I say the bad, I mean like me crying and stuff like that, and then my husband coming like you, okay, I'm fine and reflecting like just leave me alone or whatever. But yeah, it's just it's it's all. It's just how it works. Yeah, in terms of my opinion, my opinion, So.
Speaker 1: What do you think is one of the biggest things that you've changed. I want to say in the last year, but I want to say maybe in the last six months, Like have you noticed that you've changed, like your opinion on something. I just actually yesterday's podcast or maybe this morning's podcast I talked to. This morning's I think was about like this is how I've changed as a person in the last five years, ten years. What can you say, whether it's an opinion on fitness or an opinion on lifestyle, or friendships or anything for that matter, what is one thing that your opinion has changed.
Speaker 2: I would say that, I mean, I moved to Barry and I don't have any family here, and I didn't have any friends, so I had to create a community for myself here. And I will say that meeting a lot of people and being a lot of like friend groups, I how I would answer that question is there will be obviously a lot of situations and scenarios that will happen in friend groups and in communities. And I have noticed that just because even like when there's conflict and two people are not resolving it, or one person that I would say is my friend is not resolving it the way that I would it is okay too, And maybe and a lot of times I've noticed that, like, because I'm very outspoken and I say my mind, and so because they're not handling the way that I am handling it, I have realized that that doesn't mean that they're handling it incorrectly. Sometimes they're nervous, or they're scared, or they don't want to offend people. And so what I found myself doing, I want to say, as of the past year, is stepping in in an appropriate way and being like, hey, like, do you need help solving this situation? Do you want my thoughts on it or whatever? And a lot of times it's been well received because people are like, well, Tina, I'm not like you. I'm not like but I appreciate that you're like kind of coming to me and just sharing how you would handle the situation and not like, oh, oh, this is how you should do it, just like, well, if you handle it this way, it might be well received or the person might look at the situation differently. And there have been a few situations where I have done that and people are like, oh my gosh, thank you, because I probably would have not addressed it at all, right, I would have just left that it is. But because I went back to the person and handled it this way or added obviously my flare because it's that person's situation. They added their flare in a little bit of my thinking to the situation. The situation either died or the relationship with that person and whoever they were dealing with it got better. And it was just like me saying okay, because they're not handling it the way you would handle it, Tina. That doesn't make the person like whack, or it doesn't make the person like just not know how to be a conflict manager or just deal with the situation. Everybody's different, right, and now everybody is that like blunt like U, Tina, Because I am for people who know me. I just like to say what's on my mind. I try to be nice about it. And so yeah, I will say just being in a new community because I have lived in Berry for five years, but fitness in Barry is my community. I have met a lot of people, I have a lot of friends because this is just my life. In terms of fitness, I'm at the gym all the time and so I meet new people and so it's exciting. But I will say in terms of conflict, I have tried to step in in an appropriate way to help people on the other side of it, and some people are just like not ety friends. It can be people in a class that I'm just standing beside and they're just talking to me about what they're doing it at work, and I just kind of chime in here on how I would deal with the situation. Right. So, yeah, that's one thing that I have improved on and it makes me be a better person too, to realize that, hey, you know what, even though they didn't solve it the way I would have me being the blunt person, I'm going to learn. I'm going to take that and maybe deal with another conflict that comes my way in a different, you know, a different light, or handle it better. And so yeah, it's giving and then also learning on the other hand too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've similarly done something like the same, like the enneagram, studying people's enneagrams and seeing how they want to approach things. Like I would consider myself a blunt person, but I have learned over the years that when bluntness sometimes isn't kind and sometimes it's asked. I'll always ask people like, hey, do you want my opinion or okay, and I think of these things, and I think, like everyone has different personality types, fitness, everyone has different things that they love, Like the fans that we've talked about for a while. So many people love these new white fans. They love them, but there's well, there's less than a handful of people that are like, we don't like the white fans.
Speaker 2: We want the black fans.
Speaker 1: But it's up to me to address the situation as a whole, not just based on the loudest voices in the room.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's interesting when you have to deal with different things. And this is funny because Nicky and I had this conversation like maybe two or three days ago, and it's like, well, not everyone again has the same personality, but not everyone has oh, right, Because we're talking about something and I'm like, I really like that idea. And then it was like well, and she said something like I don't really like to give you my opinions, and like, girl, I ask for your opinion. It's like I want to know you're a very trusted friend. You also know the business very well, whether it's in life or business or whatever, because it's in it. I'm like I know that there's sometimes that we may not have the exact same perspective because our life experiences are different. But that's why why also am asking you Because I want a different perspective. And there's sometimes when you talk to somebody, they can open up your eyes or either going to make you pissed off or they're going to make you see differently. And I'm always open to suggestion. I would say, I'm always open to suggestion. I'm always open to a different perspective.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, perspective is the word right now, Like that's what it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, like if it like I spoke to a member of her email today actually because I saw on the Jim Happy review, not on like the Google review, but on the gym Happy review. How like he says, hey, how is class today? And the specific person said like, oh, I love the classes. I enjoy the vera. I have a hard time with the schedule because I would like if there was some more later times on the weekends specifically. And I looked at that and I was like, Okay, I read reviews, right. I appreciate if someone comes to me and there constructive about what they need. And she's saying, like, I really like the classes. That's a really good problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: If it's constructive, not unconstructive criticism of who your favorite coaches are and what personalities and what temperature you want the room. I can't do anything about that. I can take that into consideration for much more that I can do about that. But when it was that, I was like, I really I emailed her. I was like, I want to talk to you about this.
Speaker 2: Is it cool?
Speaker 1: So I said what, okay? So we used to have ten am classes. It was often canceled because of low fill, so it was either a pound with Annie, Jackie with zoomba zoomba with Jackie. I remember that, and it was like nine times out of ten the class was canceled or there was maybe one or two people that showed up. So I did share that with her, But I also said, however, in this new season of the Transformation Station, I respect that we have had a membership growth, so that might be something. So if it were up to you, what style of class would you like there? I'm thinking ten o'clock And she said, well, I like the cardio styles, so zoomba or step or tempo would be really fabulous. In that time slot. I was like, okay, cool, so I'm gonna put that in my brain bank. But she also said, what about a later time, because eight and nine for some people on the weekend is still early. And I can respect that. If someone as like like a graduation, or they have like a birthday party or a wedding they go to, sometimes it's nice to have an eleven o'clock class or twelve. And I was like, okay, I can work with this, like I'll do pop ups first, and I'll run it maybe for four weeks, because I hate to give something and people think it's permanent and then I have to take it away all up in arms about it, even though it's the right thing to do. But I like to avoid that as much as possible. And I do make changes, and you've seen the data that I pull up. I make it based on data. So I looked at it again, and I looked at the membership base, and I looked at who likes what and how those classes are attended. I was like, all right, this could be something that we try. And I thanked her for that. Thank you. That to me is a perfect style of a review, because it was it's a critique sandwich. Yeah, I always like to give you a critique sandwich, and that's something I pried myself. But sometimes when people bring me their stuff, there's not a critique sandwich. It's just I want this. I like this, this is how it should be, this is what you should do for.
Speaker 2: Me, and well, and that's not like well received, right, what about the five hundred things? For sure?
Speaker 1: When someone gives me that style of feedback, like, I'm like, okay, that makes sense to thank you, And I respect that person so much because that if I don't know what we want, like I can still look at data trends, of course, but if people want something like I know that the cardio style classes are highly attended. I know that traditional step is very highly attended. I know that we also have one traditional style of step during the week, so based on that, and like, can we incorporate another step style, maybe a step in lift? Because I don't have other instructors that can teach traditional step. I've been looking. They don't fit our vision and our core values of the transformation station. And to me, having a good instructor means fitting the core values. It doesn't mean a professional instructor that teaches to textbook, but then they don't understand the people that are standing in front of them, like the listening portion. Yeah, yeah, so I was like, okay, I respect that. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: And you by like you calling to get her feedback too, like it's just learning a different Like it's back to the word that we were talking about, perspective, right, because Okay, that's interesting. We I don't have that right now on the schedule, but I'm open to like listening to you know what I mean, your feedback and even you saying the gym like we've gotten more members, right and with that sometimes what was a thing, you know six months ago, it might change now it might shift because we have new members and all that stuff. So no, I'm it makes total sense to me. But I think you just got to be open to listening, which we've already kind of talked about before, and then just knowing when to kind of ask and when to give your perspective. So for me, it's like always asking like do you want to hear how I would approach it, or you know, what are your thoughts and just kind of coming together and figuring something out that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I like that about you, like every time we have a conversation, like you come from a good spot, Like it's not.
Speaker 2: Like you're.
Speaker 1: What is it called, like they call it a certain thing. Oh, a pick me girl?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Like I just learned this term like maybe six or seven months ago. There's like the pick me girls. So that's someone who's very like self absorbed and like I want to be me and this is my alwa should be you, but like I only care about myself and this is what I want. It's like being like I think the term might be haughty, like I just want everything here and everything revolves just around me. But then there's like the Girl's girl that it's like I'm rooting for you though, like I think you can do that. This is amazing, And it's not like the pickmy girls, Like, well, this is my friend and whatever they say is right and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know you're not all bad. Yeah, like life does not work that way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then there's like the girls. Hold Yeah, it's like, well, actually, like I'm your true friend and I care about this, So I think that's a part of being emotionally intelligent. Yeah, is I think of it? And we're sitting at the table here but I'm like, if there's something, this is what it is, let's put it on the table. Let's have a conversation about it. It's not a hey, I'm attacking you. I'm gonna throw this brick at you. Yeah, it's hey, this has come to my attention. I'm going to go to the source because you're my You're my first priority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to go.
Speaker 1: And bleed it into everybody else. So I think that, to me is very important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 1: Have that conversation. And that's a part of being emotionally mature.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and having to do things. Yeah stuff, No, it's not true, so true.
Speaker 1: You know. I will tell you having those types of conversations, and I've had to have at least five of them this week with various different avenues, not just in business but also in family and stuff like that. I literally like, and Chris knows, Chris, Chris can quote me on this, because I literally be like, I hate this.
Speaker 2: I know, it's just like for me, it's like a cringe, but it's got to get done, it does.
Speaker 1: I'm like, do I need to deal with this? I know that's is Nikki yesterday, because Nikki is like one of like eight my best friends, but she's like my closest confidant.
Speaker 2: I guess that is what you say. Yeah, I'm like, I don't want.
Speaker 1: To deal with this. Do you need to deal with this? You have my permission not to deal with this? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm like moving along.
Speaker 1: Like if I don't, I'm going to be a little bit upset. Yeah, I don't want to make assumptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm like, and then if it's like eating you alive, and you know, the right thing after evaluating it in your head and the right thing is to address it. But a lot of us don't like that. But I know it sucks. Yeah, it's sucks. But you know, I'm sure there's many famous things about tough lines, but sometimes tough conversations have to happen. They do, and we all don't love it. A majority of us don't love it.
Speaker 1: But I think that's the nice thing about it.
Speaker 2: And hey, if you do, that's on you. But yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: What I love about that is like the community that we have here, Like it's good, Like you know how you said like I have mood swings right like said that, but people know, like, oh, it's it's Tina, It's okay because we accept you and love you for who you are, what you bring to the table, and like that to me is a true value, having a having the value of somebody. So that, to me is it. I know that if I'm having a conversation with somebody and I know that it might be hard for some people or some there might be I have to approach something and they might be mad at me, and I'm like, oh, I got to tread lightly. Then I see that they're cool. I'm like, yeah, you're cool. I'm cool, Okay, cool because I was always cool. But this has to be done. And I think that's a sign of respect is giving someone the benefit of the doubt to say what they have to say, rather than holding it and bottling it and being upset. So like the whole shoe the shoe fiasco of everyone wearing people's shoes home and I know someone wore your shoes, like there's so many no one's ever wear my shoes, Oh yeah, because I throw them everywhere and they know that if it's all unsorted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't do that, but keep that up, Like I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Keep being in my musty sauce. Yeah right, But like there's sometimes like someone had a brand new pair of ugs go missing and they're like three hundred dollars boots. I wear ugs too, but I wear the men's ugs and no one else is wearing those. Chris has the exact same pair, but we are different colors. Yeah, I'll wear both of ours. And yeah, so like when that happened, I'm like, oh, I have to reach out to this person. I'm like, I don't want to, but I'm the only one that can fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm like looking at the cameras and seeing who's who, and then trying to catch people around their workouts and people are going back to work or whatever. I'm like, oh, I got to reach out. And then as soon as someone's like, no, no, it's good, it's cool. I just want my shoes back, I'm like yeah, yeah, yeah, there's so many conversations that I have to link together. That's just like if I'm adding a class to the schedule or changing a class of the schedule. Right now Wednesdays, people are screaming excited, and I had even last night text messages. People are excited. There might be one or two people that are still coming to other classes that might not like the Wednesday line up, and we all know who that is without saying any names because we've heard it all over the gym. My neighbors know. But like, that's one person and I'm sorry that sucks, but also see you next class. Like I love you, I value what you want, but I also value with the other fifty thousand. The thing is is people in the morning, we have Tempo, we have step, we have those style of more inclusive fun fitness, cardio fitness. We still have a lot of strong fit and power, burn butts and guts, all of those things. But what I was hearing was, how come the evening people they get all the fun. They have Zoomba, they have cardio kick, they have step class without the time we had step in the evening. And I'm like, you know what, you're right because I know you guys want to have fun too. You don't have to waits every single day. So that's when I implemented those things. And then people at night are like, well, we want more inclusive stuff that's not necessarily just booty shaking. So I'm like, we have booty shaking three times a weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to do. Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Like that doesn't make sense. So when there's a lot of people doing the same thing, and I'm studying with the trends are and they have a lot of people asking me for stretch and flow, and right now we have Friday Stretch and Flow and it's summer. We steve it on Sundays. We'll bring it back in the fall. And I'm saying that we will bring it back in the fall. But in the summertime it started to get low low numbers or it was going to get canceled. So people don't love that. They want to look at their week and they want to adjust it. So we ended up bringing back a six forty five PM stretch and Flow. People wanted something different because if you look at the schedule, Monday six forty five, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, the last pass the day on Friday, it's all fun, cardio, fun, fun, fun. But then there's not one stretch and flow. So if someone's coming five days a week, they're just doing booty shaking. So it's nice to have that stretch and flow. And people were so happy and receptive. Like I knew I had I made the right call, and in doing that, you're not going to make everybody happy, no for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, back to Tina, I want to know more about you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I always default to that because that's like the only.
Speaker 2: Thing I had when on that conversation.
Speaker 1: I love that you said about your work and when you were talking when you're like just like we're talking about it, I was like, oh my gosh, because that's something i've right now in the last I'm going to say, three weeks I've been trying to do. Is how you said, like you're all work, work, work, work, and you take pride in your work, and you're good at your work, but you learn, like, Okay, I can two things can exist at the same time, and I can also have fun and friends and fitness. And that's one thing I love about fitness. There's people in here too, Like there's all different gyms and avenues and all diff friend groups, and I know that about you and so many other people. I have friend groups at other locations and here as well. And that's something that I do love is that when you have fitness, like you're meeting so many types of people and they're usually more emotionally intelligent is the word I like to yes, and it's like, oh, we're thriving. We're both just trying to have a good time and better ourselves. So I've seen so many friendships and different things built inside of the four walls of fitness. But I also know that I took my hobby and created it my business. I took something that changed my life, which was fitness, and created into work. So lately I'm like, what is something? Did you see my kayak? Did you see my car?
Speaker 2: I did? I did. I was like, Christina is here. I saw that It's been there since Sunday. Yeah, because I posted it on socials.
Speaker 1: Right the two acts I took, I said it.
Speaker 2: I turned right. I'm like, Christina is here.
Speaker 1: And I bought it to match the car because I knew that it would match the brandy for the final proof for the car. It has been ongoing for a while.
Speaker 2: As a branding group. I appreciate that the facts that I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: That's the same person that did the windows out front.
Speaker 2: Okay, like flow really well yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was like, I'm gonna take Chris's kayak off. I'm gonna keep mine I'm like, I don't have to because at first I'm like I should get a kayaking group together for the gym. I'm like it would be cool to have that different opportunities. Yeah, Like Christina, just because you love doing something, you don't have to make it about the business. I'm like, yes, I do have to make everything about the business. So I'm like I said to Chris, Chris is like, you're gonna keep your kayak on your car. I'm like yeah, And I actually instacarted a lock so I could get at like nine o'clock at night so I could lock the kayak because then I got weird about maybe someone taking it.
Speaker 2: Ye taking it. Yeah, I like cameras and yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: But I was like, I'm used to get a lock, so I locked it and it's been there since Sunday. Because I'm like, people are gonna want to go out, and I'm gonna want to have friends, not just at the gym. Have I gone out?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Because you know why I said. I'm like there's a commercial that's like listen and it's like crickets and then the guy goes too bad. IKEA doesn't sell friends. Oh, it's like everyone that I know works during the week for the part. Yeah, and then I'm like, I have meetings sporadically and then I actually Nikki's daughter, I'm yeah, let's go to the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what happened. It rained because she had asked me last week. I'm like, yeah, Wednesday, we're down. For my God, when that happens, I drove around with this kayak, but it did have stand on it from Sunday. So now it rained this morning too. It's been cleansed of the earth. Yes, But that's something that I I know that I do is that I make everything about work, and that's why when I talk to people, I'm like, even now, like I went off into like the work, the work mode, that's always my default because that's something that consumes my entire being. So now I'm learning to be like Christina, you can actually have a hobby and not turn it into a business and not implement just business. Even when I'm not coaching, I'm still.
Speaker 2: Here, yeah, because I'm like, it's a tough one, but I mean, if you can find that balance right, it will only benefit you. And I guess I've been there right.
Speaker 1: Though it's hard that it's hard because like when you love something and.
Speaker 2: That's gonna say, it's you love what you do, love it, Tina, like, and I love sharing that I love what I do. I love my job, I love my career, you love your business and stuff like that. So we can talk about it from morning till night, but we can still I think at some point we have to be open to other things outside of it, because, like you said a few minutes ago, like two things can be true and two things can exist at the same time, and I think that just makes things just a little bit more exciting, right, and then more to talk about as well, right, Yeah, and sometimes having to pause. Yeah, I feel like you can do that actually absolutely, Like.
Speaker 1: For Sunday, Oh, I was laughing so hard because like you knew that you were going away like next month, and then Christina posted because it's like the Monday after her wedding. Yeah, and then I realized that afterwards. Yeah, and then I was.
Speaker 2: Like she went on vacation, yeah yeah, asking the group chah yeah ya yeah.
Speaker 1: Keep things very simple when it comes to the group.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, if it needs to be there, then I'll just post it. Yeah, trying not to be like what my brain. I'm like, oh, what is this?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like and then she asked and then it was like oh. And then Nikki also sent me a message. I'm like, no, no, don't worry about it. Don't post it because I'll take your classes because Annie's going to teach in the morning.
Speaker 2: So stage yeah, so.
Speaker 1: It works out so well for all of us. And then like myself, like last week, I was like, uh, hey, I forgot, I didn't read. I forgot. I'm like, anyone available for this upcoming Sunday? And I was laughing. I'm like, I am so glad that everyone was so proactive. Yeah, because I said, I'm like, thank you, Like I appreciate that so much. It's not the last minute scrambled Yeah. And then I looked at my schedule. I'm like, oh my gosh, my course is this weekend. I posted it.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did.
Speaker 1: But I said to Chris, I'm like, I don't know what to do. But if there's not another instructor, do I just cancel the class on Sunday? And she's like you can do that. I'm like I'm like, I know, I'll teach you step at six am, Like do you think anyone's going to show up because I'm like, because I can teach six to six forty five. My course starts in Guildford at eight am. I can get home in time, shower, I'll pre make my food.
Speaker 2: If that was your plan. Yeah yeah, yeah, So you're.
Speaker 1: Thinking christ knows me so well. She's like, okay, so you're not going to stand around for an hour after class and talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true because I do the same thing. It's true totally. Yeah, not so much, but that you just wanted to show up for people and still wanted to have the class, right, but then you had another commitment, So no, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And then and he's like, I can teach you, like.
Speaker 2: Sweet, yeah she came through. Yeah, she came through for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, so I know that we've been talking for a while and I've been talking a lot. Last question, if you could tell an I'm gonna say specifically a beginner, if you could tell someone who was nervous, if you've if you fast forwarded fast forward noes, or if you're rewinded back to when you started with kickboxing and into fitness. Let's say you're talking to your past self. Try on this one. What would you tell your past self or someone who's just getting started.
Speaker 2: What would I tell them? Can you repeat the question?
Speaker 1: So? Oh yeah, like every if you were talking to your old self, praise different. Yes, if you're talking to your old self and they were thinking about getting into fitness, or maybe they were trying to escape something that was going on in their own life but they were nervous to walk through the doors, what would you tell them?
Speaker 2: I would say, I would first want to ask because some people start something and they're set on it. I love that. I love these conversations we're having because I like, we've talked about all the things today, right, We've talked about listening, we've talked about perspectives, and we've talked about just only wanting to be me and try this one thing. And I would tell them, like, are you open to because some people start fitness and they're open to different types of fitness, and then some people are only open to doing one thing. So if they're coming in and it's just kickboxing, I would literally say come in and keep an open mind, the like, keep an open mind and just know you might at the end of the class. I like to joke you might love it or you might hate it, but at least you came and you gave it all you've got in that forty five minutes to an hour whatever it is. That is exactly what I'll tell them. And I find that the cup of people that I've said that to at the end of it, they're like, oh my god, that was awesome. I literally came in thinking that I was going to be training to be like the next Mike Tyson. But I had fun at the end of it. At the end of it, that whole Mike Tyson and the whole kickboxing thing of like, oh my god, I'm gonna be a pro kickboxer. It's just like, I didn't think that I would be like so exhausted at the end, but I had so much fun, right And that just makes me happy because you came in, whatever expectations you had outside, come in and just kind of drop it. Because you guys heard the story earlier where I tried my first kickboxing class and I didn't necessarily go into open minded. I think I went in thinking that I was going to be the next Mike Tyson. And how did that work for me? I like pit on myself halfway through because I was like, oh my god, I'm just getting more like at the end of it, I'm going to be like it was just not for me though, and so I didn't necessarily love the class style, but I still love kickboxing, and so I still gave another shot. And when I tried the other gym that I ended up being an instructor at or whatever, that one, I definitely went and open minded. I'm okay, we're going to go in and we're just going to have a great workout. And at the end of it, man, we loved it and we had so much fun and we came again. So I just didn't come in with an open mind. And you're allowed to do that, you know why, because it's only an hour out of our day. How many hours are in one day like this an hour? Right, Like just come in and and so that would be my biggest advice.
Speaker 1: That's solid. Yeah, all right, So we're going to wrap up. I know you've got stuff and things to do, and you're listening. You probably have stuff and things to do. I don't have stuff and things to do because this was my stuff I got. I can I've all my meetings before this because I'm like I'm so excited. I don't want to do anything else. I don't want to go back to doomsday at my desk in my office. So I booked all my meetings first.
Speaker 2: Well, this was so much fun. Long overdue or whatever people say, but that was like so much fun. And thank you Christina for inviting me, Like, thank you so much to come and invite and chat with everybody. And I hope you guys enjoyed it and I had a mad fun. I thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys listening to have just as much fun as I did.
Speaker 2: To right, And Tina Tuesday, I've been here and I had a great I know, members say Tina Tuesday so seriously, and they remind me that Tina Tuesday exists, and so I love you guys, and yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thanks. Yeah, and it's not Tuesday, I know. Right. Thanks for joining. If you have any question, comments, or concerns, or you want to check out Tina's classes, she coaches every Tuesday at the Transformation Station here in Barry, Ontario. Also, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, or maybe you want to share your story on the podcast, feel free to reach out. You know how to find me Christina at the Transformation Station dot CA, call me, text me. I'm always around seven o five three zero zero zero zero eight eight Until next time.