Speaker 1: We're in Kentucky. Anda Happy Monday.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company, and it coffee. That's me Scott this year alongside you just heard John Shannon there for the latest newscast, we'll get you caught up on traffic and whether Bobby Ellis will get us updated on how the roadways are looking to get this week started. Also, we'll get the latest forecast from Susanne Horgan. But if you are just now joining us, we did talk a lot about the TVT and I really just can't get over how much we as a city and as a fan base. And it's not just I guess Louisville and Louisville fans, but I know in Lexington you could see if you watched the Lat Familia game yesterday that they they have a similar crowd where it's probably not I mean, it's nothing close to what you'd see as far as the turnout whenever you've got Louisville and Kentucky playing in the Young Center and Rapperena. But there's enough of us because we have a I mean, this area loves college hoops more than anybody this region really, so when you've got former players that come back. All it takes is a crowd of you know, I don't know, I'm not even sure what the announced attendance was yesterday in RUP or at Freedom Hall, but clearly the atmosphere looks awesome and it's just it's I think it's perfect for this city, and clearly the TVT knows that, which is why they continue to have Louisville and Lexington as host sites. Also coming up later today, we're going to get the sentencing of Brett Hankerson. So of course last week it became, i mean, regardless of whatever came from the DOJ as far as what they were going to recommend, it was going to be a big news item because clearly this thing has lingered for many, many years. But the sentencing recommendation was one that a lot of folks certainly were surprised by pleasantly and then of course others probably upset about it. Clearly, Mary Greenberg, he's made it quite clear that he's he's not a fan of the one day sentence that was recommended by the DJ for former l and PD officer Brett Hankerson for his role and what took place that of course ultimately led to Breonna Taylor losing her life. So sentencing is set for today, I believe it. One thirty so years of legal proceedings mistrials too along the way, the sentence is going to come down today. So what I think is important to note here is that just because that's the recommended sentence doesn't necessarily mean that that's what's going to happen here with Hankison. So typically the judge will follow a DOJ recommendation, but this is just a different case, and I think we all know that, right this is spanning two presidential administrations and the climate being different throughout this multi year process of closure, I guess as far as just putting this thing in the rearview where he's no longer going to court and having these trials, and it's just whatever the sentence is, it is. And I don't mean where you move on, meaning him clearly, I'm sure he wants to move on from this as well, But I also think Louisville is a city you want to you want to put this in the rear view, but also you've got to balance it with Okay, let's let's also see what we could have learned from that whole, that whole situation, because certainly a lot to take from it. So again Mary Greenberg has has been pretty clear that he's he's not, you know, he's not he's not necessarily in favor. And again that's probably putting it mildly when it comes to just leniency that the DOJ appeared to show here by just the recommendation of one day sentence. So again that doesn't the recommendation sentence is not it's not binding. So the federal judge they can choose to follow it, They can choose to reduce or increase the sentence with federal sentencing guidelines, or they could disregard the recommendation entirely, to be honest with you, So we shall see. But coming up a little bit later on, we will well know because I believe one thirty today is is when that's expected to uh to take place. And I'm sure we'll get you get you the latest right here on news Radio eight forty whas also we talked about the CEO of a company that probably needs to change their name. No astronomer, None of us have ever heard of astronomer right well now, when we think of it, if we ever do. I mean, it's going to be because of this CEO, Andy Byron, who his life has been changed in a drastic way in a matter of what three or four days, And it is fascinating to me to see how stories like this just take off the way that they do.
Speaker 1: Right, It's it's I I think I was caught off guard by that.
Speaker 3: I think you were talking with the Rory about seeing all the different memes that were out there and the way and you mentioned the Savannah bananas. Even the Philadelphia Phillies had fun with it with their mascots, and you know this guy, as you mentioned, his life is going to be changed forever as is hers. So it's I did hear an interview over the weekend with a someone who runs camera for at sporting events where they do the kisscam thing, and they say what a challenge it is to sometimes find folks to point on the camera, and you know, for someone.
Speaker 1: To pick these people out of a crowd.
Speaker 3: And I'm a firm believer and a lot of stuff happens for a reason, and there may have been some underlying issues here now that he's going to be forced to address he's resigned.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean addressed with his family. I guess, yeah, so what I mean, yeah?
Speaker 3: And does this change him now as a person moving forward? And what becomes of these two as a couple now, And it's it's a sad story and the fact that maybe it just doesn't work out for anybody, but it'd end up.
Speaker 1: Being a Netflix documentary I think, right.
Speaker 2: And I don't really know how much range that this story has moving forward, but there's no doubt that when it comes to just you know, would I mean, these these aren't necessarily every day average Joe's. This guy was a CEO of a huge company in Boston, so he's not just anybody. However, Man, the Internet can change your life really really quickly. Fact, and these two are great examples of that. But he did resign as the CEO, and there was a fake release from the company Friday that I just I can't believe. But then again, I guess I shouldn't be surprised how many people just ran.
Speaker 1: With it because it didn't.
Speaker 2: It looked legitimate, and you would expect a company to release a statement after they're getting all this attention from it. But little things you got to pay attention to. And I don't want to act like I never get got like other people it happens. But to use a to use a cold play lyric at the end of your statement, that to me's the giveaway that all right, this is not real, And sure enough it wasn't. But the company, they've since released a statement and it includes that Andy Byron has has resigned and they're stressing leadership accountability. The co founder that company, Pete de Joy, has stepped in as the interim CEO. So I would I would recommend a name change because the brand uh. And again I'm not I'm not real familiar with their field and what it is they do and whatnot, but I would I would maybe look at rebranding a little bit because this story is taken off for sure. All Right, we've got an update of trafficking whether coming your way, so stick around. Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are to get This Monday started right here on News Radio eight forty vs. It is six eighteen here at News Radio eight forty whas nit coffee with you here It's Kentucky and this morning News with Coffee and Company.
Speaker 1: He's got his journ alongside.
Speaker 2: We'll have another update on sports with Scott coming up here in about seven minutes. Also John Shannon will get you the latest news around six thirty. So the chief of ICE has has announced tougher immigration crackdown. I mean, it's been quite clear that this is a real emphasis for President Trump and his second stint as the president, to get illegal immigrants out of the country, regardless of their situation, meaning that illegal, that's it, that's all the matters. You could be productive, you could be no danger to the community. You can maybe be somebody that is a productive citizen and whatnot, and it really just doesn't seem to matter. So the head of US Immigration and Customs Enforcements has made some news here with a bold new enforcement strategy. ICE Director Todd Lyne. He spoke on Sunday to face the nation, laying out a tougher approach. So agents are going to arrest anyone found to be in the United States illegally, no expectations. Now, these sweeps have been expanded across multiple states. It's not just the states of course, that have been featured more so than any when it comes to the news, just because of what's going on in Los Angeles and and and it's it's been, it's been everywhere. But I feel like you're going to start to see maybe some some bigger stories coming from these sweeps that aren't just in the you know, the areas you've heard about for the last few months, which, by the way, it's happening everywhere, including here in Kentucky. We can get in that maybe a little bit later on, as far as just some numbers that'll that'll get you to get you caught up, as far as how many people in Kentucky have been here illegally that have been that have been snatched up by ice and getting set to be deported. So also, this is another one that I feel like is just a sign that and I'm not surprised this is. I think it's been clear at every turn how how much this this is going to be emphasized in presidents by President Trump. But if you are an employer hiring undocumented immigrants, you're now potentially going to find yourself in trouble as well. So lions warned of steep minds, possible jail time if you are caught hiring undocumented immigrants. So I mean, again, it's been a real thing for a while. For lack of a better word, and I imagine if you are here legally, regardless of your situation, you've probably been been anxious and scared, to be honest with you, but to know that this is just this is the emphasis. It doesn't matter anything about your situation. If you are here illegally, you're you know, we're coming for you. And also, I'm telling you the the the ICE getting access to all the data, all the information with medicaid medicare, I mean, that's giving them private information by every you know, millions of people. So it just gives them better access and resources to do what they want to do, which is to get everybody out of this country that is not here illegally, regardless of their situation. And certain there are many that think this is the right way to do it and that things are great. There are many that, of course, think this is in humane and we shouldn't bother those that are not causing issues, and we shouldn't bother those that work in an industry that America really relies upon when it comes to the economy. So you're hearing both sides of it, certainly, But one thing you don't hear a whole lot about is that you know, there have been other prevident, other presidents that put in place, you know, things like this to get a ton of illegal immigrants out of the country. You just didn't get the same type of coverage because we weren't at war with each other like we are now. I mean, I think that's that's the reason. But just my thoughts, quick break, we'll come back. I'll remember it. But like if there was a newspaper article that I'm reading and I'm holding it, it just it's different. Maybe it's nostalgia. I'm not sure. But anyways, let's get let's get you caught up on the traffic and whether Bobby Ellis will tell us how the roadways are looking here to get the Monday morning started. Also, we'll get Susanne Horrigan's forecast from WLKY as we keep this thing rolling along again. It is Kentucky and it's Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news radio eight forty w u h AS. It's Mike. It is six forty eight here on a Monday morning. Happy Monday, Kentucky, and it is Kentucky and his Morning News with Coffee and Company here on news Radio eight forty w h AS so the CEO I guess I should say former CEO of a company that I could be wrong here. Maybe it's just me not being familiar with what it is they do, but I do feel like this company and when people think of the name, which it's, it's already it's already escaping me as we speak.
Speaker 1: Let me pull it up here.
Speaker 2: So the company's name is Astronomer and their CEO, Andy Byron, is the guy who but's what's funny? And I'm getting sidetracked here. I bet there are people who have seen all the memes on their Facebook or really wherever they're consuming content via social media that maybe don't.
Speaker 1: Even realize like what it is? Like what a second?
Speaker 2: Why do I keep seeing people recreating this same visual? You know, what's the context? And once you get curious, it's not hard to find out what it is because it's become such a big story. But he is now resigned, and I still stand by what I said on Friday. As this continues to be such a big story that so many people seem to just be.
Speaker 1: Enjoying.
Speaker 2: I guess I mean, I don't think I don't you enjoy people having h you know, having affairs, And I think we all know sort of what they can do to a family. But I guess all the layers here you've got karma because they got caught, You've got the in what I was going to say, as far as just sticking by what I said on Friday. Their reaction to it happening is the is why this became the story, because it was quite clear, so much so that the lead singer of cold Play had to make the joke that either they're not supposed to be together or they're really really shy, and then it just snowballed from there. H So it's it's the kind of summer story that can take off. And I I really this weekend was you saw it from start to finish. As far as just the Internet doing its thing, Minor League Baseball, major League Baseball, the Savannah Bananas, there are other sporting events going on. I'm sure they would have taken advantage of it as well to just play into it and have some fun with it. But we're also having fun at a story that is clearly going to not just negatively impact the life of the two here that are I mean, the woman was not married, she was divorced recently. It sounds like and again, I'm not even sure what's real and what's not. I think again, I've read a couple of different things about her, and I don't I don't know what's real or not. But nonetheless, he was married and now probably will not be, depending upon what his wife wants to do. So I don't think anybody feel sorry for this guy. But clearly, you know, if you're if that's your dad or your you know, your uncle, or your son or your brother, whatever it may be, I'm sure you feel for him because you know he's human. But also, I mean, the family could be broken up, and that's a tough thing for anybody to deal with.
Speaker 3: I think, you know, how much pub do you think astronomers gotten out of this? How do you you think their website is spiked people going to find out what astronomer does?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But also it's you know, is there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is their truth to any publicity is good publicity because I mean, this guy's resigned, therefore they've moved on from it. But yeah, just a it's gonna be one of those examples that I think, even though I just mentioned some of the layers here that make it so interesting to people, I still just it's still wild to me how it became such a big deal. But that's that's what the Internet can do. The Internet is powerful like that, and that's a good example of it. All Right, let's get an update on tracking and weather. Bobby Ellis will get is caught up on the roadways. It does look like there's at least one minor accident causing some delays. We'll get the latest from Bobby, and of course we'll get an update on the weather.