Speaker 1: Welcome, welcome, Rick Wilson.
Speaker 2: Hello, Molly. I don't know about you, but it's still like Ontario to me.
Speaker 1: It will always be like Ontario to me. So Donald Trump did something that is one of the things that has worked really well for him historically, but seems to not be working so well for him anymore, which is when confronted with a wildly unpopular trade war that is going to cost Americans more money when they're feeling the pinch, he decided to to do a stupid stunt and rename something Lake America. And it didn't work the way it historically has for him.
Speaker 2: It didn't work because none of it's working anymore. When Donald Trump had net favorable approval ratings, 7, 8, 10 points back in the day, when he had net favorable approval ratings on the economy in the teens and 20s, he had a lot more power. But now... He has approval ratings that are reaching historic lows for any president in modern time. Nixon had 24% approval when he left the Oval Office. Trump, in a poll I saw on Friday, has a 29% approval rating. He is in the territory of when Nixon ran from office because he was about to get his ass thrown out. Right. When he was net favorable on the economy, he had a lot more leeway. But nobody buys that he's good on the economy anymore. Nobody's accepting that theory anymore because they know it's not true. And they know he's a failure on the American economy at every level. And so trying to do the slamma jamma, I'm going to do a card trick. I'm going to draw in Sharpie on a map and make it make everybody freak out about it. Now people just make fun of him for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He used to be outrageous. Now people are just like, oh, senile grandpa yells at cloud.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, it's also, the thing is when you can, when it seems like you are, when you, it seems like your ideas are good or might work, you have leeway. And even it's funny because like, if you look at 2020, even in 2020 with COVID, people still thought his ideas on the economy would work and make them richer. And so what happened was, and in some ways COVID did Trump was voted out during COVID, I think, because people were whatever. But they still had faith in him that he could do economic stuff. Now, why they had faith in him, who even knows? I mean, an insane, objectively insane thing. But when they put him back into office, I mean, he was as popular as he had ever been. Fast forward to less than two years later. Right.
Speaker 2: And all the things that were a presumption about Trump from the very beginning in 2015, that he was a dealmaker, he was a negotiator, he was a businessman. He understood the economy. Unlike those liberal Democrats, that's all gone. I mean, Donald Trump is running a communist crime racket out of D.C. and people now figured it out. He's wrecked the economy. People figured it out. All the things he promises for promised them for the last decade are a wreck. We're losing our farms. We're losing small businesses. We're not gaining manufacturing jobs. We're not gaining jobs, period, at this point. They had revised the job figures from last quarter down 79,000. It's madness, right? All of it is unspendable. Now you can't just go, hey, hey, Trump just owned the libs. It's okay that I got my house repossessed. I just got the libs owned. That's not working for anybody.
Speaker 1: The culture war stuff, the girls and boys sports, that stuff, only works if everything is fine for you. If you are not hurting financially, then you can worry about stuff that you don't really care about, ultimately.
Speaker 2: In polling, we call this a luxury issue, right? Right. When your life is good, you can worry about things that are more esoteric. Right. When the economy is strong, It's then you're like, OK, well, my job is secure and my taxes are going to go lower. And and so now I'm going to get pissed off at imaginary communism or imaginary Muslim terrorists or imaginary trans terrorists, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But Antifa. Right. Antifa. But now it's become this very desperate situation for about 150 million Americans who are feeling a lot of economic uncertainty. And a lot of the things that you're hearing and seeing out there, like all the anxiety about data centers is a proxy for how badly Trump has failed on the economy and how badly they fear AI is going to be trained to take their jobs and how uncertain they feel about gas and food prices and, and, and health insurance and their economic ability to keep their home and all these things. And so the trickery Lake Ontario of a year ago might've still had a, been a one week story and there were then, ponderous op-eds and all the papers about it and how terrible it was. And now it's just like, again, crazy old man yells at cloud and people aren't buying it in the way they used to buy it. And I think that's a deadly problem for Trump in the fall. I really do because he's going to make the campaign about himself now.
Speaker 1: Well, that is so the old tricks aren't working anymore really is the net net of it. But so he did this meeting and, at the end of last week, where he met with a bunch of Republicans and he said, and now MAGA Inc. is sitting on, what, $ 300, $ 400 million?
Speaker 2: I'm trying to get their cash position, but it sounds like about $ 450 is the number I got the other day.
Speaker 1: So that's like a small country. And that's the GDP of a small country. And he has not spent any of it. And now he reveals to Republicans that the way he's going to spend it is on ads tying them to his legacy.
Speaker 2: If you're a Republican in one of those swing seats out there in the in.
Speaker 1: Like in any one of the swing seats like Alabama.
Speaker 2: Right. I mean, like the other day I had somebody make a decent case for me that Mississippi could be in play if the numbers keep tracking the way they're tracking. which is insane on paper, right? Which is nuts on paper. But Donald Trump is the one thing they can't afford to have stuck on them right now. Because if they have to, if Trump goes into, let's even just say, let's say he goes into Iowa and says, you better vote against Rob San and Josh Turek because I've done so much good for Iowa farmers. And Iowa farmers are going to be like, the hell are you talking about, chief? Yeah. Because Trump making it about himself is for two reasons. One, he's going to steal the money and take it out of MAGA Inc. And like, pay. MAGA Inc. is run by the Trump family already, as we know. So they're going to skim as much off of that cream as they can. But it's the idea you're going to go make this about him and not about affordability is just as if you're a Republican. I mean, you got to be thinking about the witness protection program.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think that, look, the problem is ultimately that Donald Trump has really, his whole thing was that he was the president for the people who voted for him and not for the people who didn't. So you couldn't get disaster funding if you were in a blue state. FEMA would get funded, but they would come to your state if you were in a red state, but not if you were in a blue state. Well, here's the thing. All of Trump's economic policies have ultimately hurt people in red states, right? Farmers and, you know, ranchers, ranchers, right? The cattle ranchers. Now he's bringing in beef from other countries.
Speaker 2: Like poison Argentinian beef, right?
Speaker 1: At every point, the people who were supposed to benefit are getting fucked.
Speaker 2: Molly, he, his message for, for the 2024 campaign, both to more affluent suburban women and, which is one of their big target sets, was we're going to bring down the price of groceries. We're going to make your kids feel safer in school. You're going to have a better economy. No more DEI.
Speaker 1: You're not going to have to compete with people who are maybe- And your kids won't.
Speaker 2: Have to learn about civil rights or anything that you don't like.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And then he was saying to white male voters, including a lot of white male Democratic voters, to be honest about it, he was saying, I saw like 40 plus, He was saying to them, I'm going to lower the price of diesel that you need to put in your truck. I'm going to bring an economic boom, so you're going to be building things and fixing things, and the working class is going to benefit from what I'm going to do to these bad guys, right? Well, it turns out that the people who've been hit hardest on both the economic calamity of tariffs, the economic calamity of the war, the economic calamity of his insane corruption, like this beef thing, he's got a deal. There's a deal under this beef thing. I promise you we're going to find out what it is. And those people are hit hardest. And it's like in health care. Look how voters used ACA at a slightly higher rate than you would expect, given their economic status and given their locations in the country. They were using ACA too. And now they're getting screwed because their health insurance is now out of reach in many cases and getting more out of reach. And Trump, of course, a couple of weeks ago or about 10 days ago, maybe he's like, we're going to have a great health care plan any minute now, which I believe you may recall we've been hearing about since 2016.
Speaker 1: But also like the cuts to SNAP, like Those people in the red states, they use the SNAP just as much as the people.
Speaker 2: In the blue states. People in red states depend on SNAP. They depend on disability. They depend on Medicaid. They depend on Social Security. And in fact, in many states, in many very red states like West Virginia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, they depend on those social benefit programs at a higher rate than the people in the blue states. they hate, which is mind-boggling.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I was struck by when we were talking about these NIH grants, We were talking about the NIH cuts and it's such an interesting, Elon Musk went in there and he cut all sorts of government programs like USAID, which bought, what did USAID buy? USAID do it, which was actually, it's a Republican program and it was actually brilliant. You probably cooked up by your old boss. Explain what they did.
Speaker 2: Because I think it's- USAID bought corn, soybeans, flour- cooking oil, a whole portfolio of agricultural products from American farmers.
Speaker 1: In red states.
Speaker 2: In red states. Okay, I have a great story for you on this one, too. In red states, they sent that food in bags that said, a gift from the people of the United States.
Speaker 1: Soft power.
Speaker 2: Where they were starving or there were famines or there were disasters. And it was like, oh, the Americans helped us. Now those bags are written in Mandarin. Right. And the Chinese are the ones taking credit for it. But a great story about this. I recently met a guy about a year ago. I met a guy who had been a three-time Trump voter, was a Trump fanatic. And he reached out through a cousin of mine. Long story short. He's like, you know, you and I don't get along, but I need to figure out how to save my soybean operation because I'm going to go bankrupt because my product was sold to UID. Yeah. Of my income, of my farm's income of $ 4 million, $ 0. 7 million a year. Whoops. So this guy.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't have voted for Trump.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Voted for Trump three times.
Speaker 1: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: And look, honest to God, my temptation when I first met him on email and texting with him was like, I was really tempted to be a dick. I was really tempted to be like, haha, fuck you. But then I was like, talk to me. Do you want to do some ads? Is it just because it hit you now? Or is it bigger than that? And he's not an unsophisticated person, right? He runs a big operation. He's like, you know what? You get caught up in it and then you don't want to back down from Trump. You don't want to back off of being a Trump guy. You don't want your friends to say, haha, you're a pussy. But now... It's because it's not just costing me. It's across the ag belt. It's across the soybean belt in the southeast, particularly hard. I mean, really bad. And you know what?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Those purchases from those farmers served a great national purpose. It wasn't just that we were supporting farmers. It was that we were out around the world showing that America had goodness. And I asked him about that. I said, did you ever think about what it meant? He goes, oh no, I know where our product went. I know what it was being used for. I know people who got fed because of it. And it's just like, you look at it and you're like, my God. The spiteful, shitty Elon Musk, Doge, data Republican dipshit crew that are out there looking through all the grants for a word like climate or a word like race or a word like diversity. So we've done that simultaneously. Fuck farmers, our national reputation and people in other countries. It's triple.
Speaker 1: But it's also like these were the guys who were so smart that they didn't need, you know, they were too smart. They were so smart that they didn't need the government. They were so smart that they didn't need regulation. They were so smart. They were too smart for the rest of us. And they ended up electing really one of the stupidest people who's ever been president again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know if he's one of the stupidest people. I believe he may well be the stupidest president. And I, you know, I know, I know my president's pretty well. And, and I think Donald Trump is in fact the stupidest person to ever hold that office by several, by several different metrics.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I'm struck by when we talk about this is we have a, we have like a moment here where Donald, Trump is the most powerful president we've ever had.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Because the Supreme Court ruling, because of what he's done, because of the Congress, the makeup of the Congress being completely fucked for any number of reasons. We have the most powerful president and the stupidest. I mean, like and, you know, I've been reading. I just want to say one other thing. I've been reading Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan's book, Regime Change.
Speaker 2: And it is you are amazing.
Speaker 1: It's a horror movie. It's a horror... Like, you read it and you can't... Like, it's so scary.
Speaker 2: You can't believe that people in that process with him, in the White House with him, don't snap. Don't lose their minds and just say, fuck this, I'm out. I'm going to go public. You can't... It's like the stupidity, the corruption, the cult, all together are... We will we're going to have a hard time unless we do some real serious soul searching and and and and some serious accountability after this. We have a hard time ever recovering from this if we don't change direction as a country hard.
Speaker 1: And this it is fucking wild. I mean, that is it is just why. And that's what I would say is it's just completely insane. Like insane. Yeah. Insane. Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: But at least we've got Lake America now.
Speaker 1: Lake America. By the way, that's like the red meat for the base, right? It's like they're eating the dogs. Racism, right? They're eating dogs, right? And then we're going to rename stuff.
Speaker 2: To own the libs.
Speaker 1: To own the libs.
Speaker 2: But you can't eat owning the libs.
Speaker 1: But then there's one other thing that Donald Trump does, which I'm going to read to you right now. Donald Trump, it's a truce from this morning. And he said that he would like Kristen Welker to have the I'm going to read you the truth. Kristen Welker, the unpopular hostess, it's in quotes of the once great meet the press is now considered meet the fake press. I guess he watched it and he's not happy. And again, this is actually a little bit interesting. He's mad about the same thing he was mad at Belmar for, which is her saying that not all of his endorsements worked.
Speaker 2: Right. The power of the Trump endorsement was unquestioned for a long time in primary elections. Yeah. And now, even in primary elections, the power of the Trump endorsement is falling off. The one race they spent money in this year, Darlene Graham, for the primaries- worked, but barely. I mean, for Trump to have to go and spend several million dollars to back Darlene Graham in South Carolina, a state where he was beloved for three terms, one South Carolina every time, the fact that he had to go and work it there and she barely won the primary, it is fading. The magic is going away. And as much as people should never take their eye off the ball that Trump is going to be dangerous, Trump is like a snake, right? Once you shoot the snake, some snakes will still be able to bite you. So he's dangerous, even though he's a wounded animal.
Speaker 1: He's also going to mess with the midterms.
Speaker 2: Of course he is. Yeah, no, we should not, folks, do not expect good outcomes when he is in the room. He's going to keep fucking with everything.
Speaker 1: Their vote will be counted. This is probably actually the most important election of our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Legitimately, folks, the most important election of our lifetime. Yeah.