Speaker 1: Welcome friends, Jacky.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three forty seven. I am Zaki has Son. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's going, Zachie, it's going.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to discuss our movie for today. Oh Man, me too, But we have we have other business before that. But what have what have you seen? Other than that? I should say, you know, you and I we had a really fun discussion just just a couple of days ago talking about the new Evil Dead movie, the new Minions movie. We did a deep dive into obsession.
Speaker 3: Yes, we finally got into spoiler territory. So I think that conversation was about forty minutes long. I mean it was like a full on spoiler filled review and it was really fun, like hearing your your t on it because you just watched it recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And if you are hearing us say this and you're like, wait, I don't remember that, well, that's because you got to head over to our Patreon feed to hear that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's part of one of our bonus conversations that we drop over there about twice a month over at patreon dot com. Slash MOVIEFILM podcasted has all our commentaries, all our regular episodes without ads and bonus conversations where we'll get into reviews occasionally, trailer talk, just all sorts of conversations that just don't fit into the regular episode, So.
Speaker 2: You never know what's going to pop up over there exactly.
Speaker 3: You know, I have to This is a little out of date now, but I just had to share this with you because I thought you might appreciate it. But going back to Disclosure Day, Yes, So I had to call customer service the other day for something, and while the woman was working on whatever, she said, you know, I've been wanting to check out the movie Disclosure Day. She's like, have you have you seen?
Speaker 2: How in the hell does that come up?
Speaker 3: I am sure we were talking about movies or something. I don't remember, but she was like, I'm interested in Disclosure Day. Have you seen it? And I go yeah. She goes, oh is it good? And I went here's the thing and I was like, look, I yes, I mean if you like Spielberg. And I went into like a real like confusing ramble about my feelings about it, and she you could hear her. She was just like, well, I like E. T. And then I was like yeah, go see it. I was like, she didn't ask for like a seven minute And so then later I have a friend named Carly and she and I play Cinematrix every morning, like we send the puzzles to each other. And then this was like a week or two ago, She's like, oh, I have a Friday afternoon off. I was thinking about seeing Disclosure Day? Should I Should I check it out? I was like, well, and then I wrote this paragraph trying to explain my complicated feelings on it, and she literally wrote back, I don't understand any of what you just said.
Speaker 2: She's like, yeah, I'm not reading all that, but I'm sorry that happened, or I'm happy for you.
Speaker 3: Exactly, yes, exactly. But I was like, yeah, I just really need to figure out I still haven't whittled down like a bite sized version of how I feel about that movie. But I thought you might appreciate that.
Speaker 2: How many times have you seen it?
Speaker 3: Twice?
Speaker 2: Twice? Okay? Yeah, okay, well yeah, i'd say your feelings are pretty locked in at this point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, for sure, they just use a lot of words because they're complicated, but you know, and something else. Sorry, I just have to bring this up because this happened right before we got on air. Have you heard I got an advertisement, like a suggested thing, I think for a video game called Powerwash Simulator. Have you heard of this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So apparently it's a video game where all you do is operate a powerwasher. Okay, and so you you know you've seen these videos. They're sort of soothing to a certain set of people where it's like, you know, you have a dirty carpet or a house it's just caked in mud and grime. But you work a powerwasher. Someone works a powerwasher and slowly, you know, line by line, takes all this grime off of the house. Well, someone turned that into a video game and for powerwasher No sorry, Powerwash Simulator two there is a Star Wars edition. Wow, so now you can powerwash at at walkers like the Millennium Falcon and this is available on Xbox PS five the switch And I was like, I want to do that. Oh wow, I just thought that was such an interesting thing.
Speaker 2: I don't know, doesn't Powerwash Simulator sound like something it would be like Conan you know, those like cable channels.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it does. But I love that because I've seen those videos before. And I do find them soothing, and it's funny that enough people feel that same way that they've made a video game out of it, and even someone is like, you know, what'd be kind of cool. I kind of want to I kind of want to Powerwasha X Wing. I just I don't know, I haven't looked at the price yet, but let's just say I'm interested.
Speaker 2: Well, there you go, they got the Brian vote.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well, have you have you seen anything else? Anything we didn't talk about in our in our bonus show?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we've got a full episode here. So I'll go through these a little quickly, but I do want to mention that this past weekend I got to see a concert. It was the music of Wes Anderson at the Hollywood Bowl, And so you know the Hollywood Bowl out here in Los Angeles. They'll do all sorts of things. They have the La Philharmonic playing Mozart and then sometimes the music of John Williams, or they'll have I know, Muse is going to be here in a couple of weeks, but they'll do these really interesting specific sorts of programs sometimes, like I mean, the music of Wes Anderson and I love Wes Anderson, as longtime listeners know, and at first I was like, oh, that sounds really interesting. I wonder what that would be like. And I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not, and I ended up going at the last minute. And I don't know how I could have possibly missed this, Like this was so special. It was m seed by Bill Murray, so that was pretty fun. He came out in a zizu you know white sorry read tuk, you know, like his character in that film, and a cigarette in his mouth, and you know, just like hello and welcome to the bowl, which is funny. And Beck and his band were basically the house band. LA Philharmonic performed, Jackson Brown was there, Jeff Goldbloom and his jazz ensemble performed, and they played all these songs from the soundtracks of Wes Anderson films, which I know, of course, but I didn't realize how much those things had been ingrained into me. Like suddenly, as I was listening to these songs, I was like, oh, I know these note for note, I mean not just the you know, British Invasion tracks and things from Rushmore or whatever, but just even the score from Grand Budapest and it I actually got a little emotional a couple of times because I realized that these this music has been in my life for thirty years, which I just never considered. But I saw Bottle Rocket when I was sixteen years old, amazing, yeah, and being in an enormous venue like this and hearing what I would think are deep cuts, you know, from a deep cut of a film performed live with clips from Bottle Rocket playing on these giant screens. And then I also so it reminded me of being sixteen and being in my friend Jason's basement and us discovering this movie together and being like, wow, like this is now our favorite filmmaker, you know, and just that exciting feeling of becoming a sinophile in your teens, you know. And I remember then because I loved him Anderson and being in college and convincing my friends in college we got to go see the Royal Ten and bombs this filmmakers amazing, and I remember us walking out of the theater and there's a group of us and all almost all of them were like, sorry, man, this isn't for us, you know, and you know, everyone kind of break breaking apart, but there was one guy I'll never forget. His name is Andrew Wagner, and he just it was like Charlie Brown. He was like Linus and I was like Charlie Brown. Everyone walked away, and then he put his hand actually on my shoulder and went I loved it. I was like, oh, really, you know, it's like you're finding your people.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I remember listening to the Grand Budapest soundtrack when I started at Bob's Burgers, and I was kind of nervous and didn't know anybody, so like it brought me back to that time. It was surprisingly emotional and really really special and satisfying. So I'm so so thankful I got to check that out this past weekend. A what a strange, unique thing, kind of an only in La kind of experience, you know. Yeah, and I have to mention this too because I thought this was funny. I went with our friend Busha, who's also a big Wes Anderson fan, and there was a moment when I was looking at Bill Murray on stage and I thought, wow, that's.
Speaker 4: A ghostbuster, Like you know what I mean, He's right there, like he fought the state puffed marshmallow man and and then literally, I mean less than a minute later, Busha turned to me and went.
Speaker 3: That's Peter Venkman. It's like, yeah, we are exactly on the same page right now.
Speaker 2: That's really funny.
Speaker 3: So anyway, that was a really cool experience. And you and I've been to the Bowl before, right, We saw Weird Al there.
Speaker 2: That was We've been there a few times. We saw Weird How we saw John Williams. We watched Star Wars in concert.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, Well they had the live orchestra scoring. Yeah, yeah, which you've done a couple of times. I remember you went with your kids to see Empire, right.
Speaker 2: Uh, Empire and a Jurassic Park at the at the San Francisco Symphony.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are really special events if they do those in your area. To see a live orchestra playing the soundtrack to a film as you're watching it is a really special thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I've said before what the trick is, find a movie where you know every note of the score, because what that does that that allows you to really savor the fact that it is being performed live because you notice the subtle differences, which I think makes it makes it a little extra, you.
Speaker 3: Know, well, two of the things I'll mention real fast. I teased this in the bonus episode, but I watched a movie called How to Make a Killing That's Right, which came out earlier this year stars Glenn Pwell and see the IMDb summary says disowned at birth by his obscenely wealthy family. Blue collar said to pop up interrupt the log line, He's a capitalism, I know, disowned at birth by his obscenely wealthy family. Blue collar Beckett Redfellow will stop at nothing to reclaim his inheritance, no matter how many relatives stand in his way. So basically, he's going to knock off all his relatives till he's the last person standing to get his inheritance. And you know, it's funny. I saw this trailer and it looked intriguing, but I gotta admit there was a little part of me it was like turning my stomach a bit, like just the idea of watching a fun movie about someone being blase just murdering people for money, Like it just kind of I was like, I don't know, like I'm intrigued by the premise, but it's also makes me feel a little ichy. But it was on HBO Max, and so I was like, well, I can at least give it a shot now here from the comfort of my living room. And I really enjoyed this. I think what's interesting about it is this movie isn't a bouncy romp, you know. I think the trailer might have done that to try to make it seem inviting, you know, but this this movie kind of lives in the gray area about like you kind of understand why he feels scorned by this family and have these bitter feelings, but it doesn't celebrate what he's doing. Like this movie isn't a pop song, you know what I mean. And I really appreciated that. And so then I looked up, like, oh, who made this? And it was John Patton Ford who did Emily the Criminal with Aubrey Plaza. Yeah, Yeah, which I really liked and is a similar sort of movie where it's a person who's a bit of an underdog. Life has not been fair to her and she gets involved in credit card scams, which is funny because in real life, if I met someone who did credit card scams and scanned old people, I'd probably punch them in the face, you know, like you don't these these are the true scumbags of our time, right, But they also make this character an interesting person. So you don't like what they're doing, but you're intrigued by why they're doing it and how they're doing it. And I'd say this movie does something kind of the same and I like that. I like that it doesn't make you feel comfortable all the time, but it does make you think, well, what's gonna happen next, What's gonna happen next? And it turns out to be a pretty entertaining yarn So and Glenn Powell. When it started, it's just inevitable. I thought, Glenn Powell, is he a movie star?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: Do I like this guy? And it's funny because I did go in like, okay, interesting, he doesn't like have me immediately like some stars do. And by the end of it, I was like, I really like Glenn Powell. He gets me every time.
Speaker 2: I feel like you have this discussion with yourself about every eight months.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's great. He's perfect in this role too.
Speaker 2: In particular, he's locked in as the day trading dude bro from the Dark Knight rises and then you have to remember, oh wait, he's capable of other things beyond just that.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little bit, you know what he has resting dude bro from Dark Knight Rise's face. I respect that, right, but he is charming and he is a good actor, and I he had a lot working against him in this movie because you should really not like this person, but you you're willing to go on this journey with him and see what happens next. So it's dark, you know, I'll mention that, but it's it's a good yarn and I think people will enjoy it as like a a thing they haven't seen that's streaming on HBO Max.
Speaker 2: So all right, uh well this this has been kind of a kind of a slow week for me. You know, I got in the Odyssey. Yeah, yeah, which will be which will be unpacking just a little bit better than that. You know, I'm just me. I'm enjoyed the summer. You know, the kids are home, they're home from school, they're out and about, so you know, I'm spending my day hiding out away from them, just trying to trying to get away as much as I can.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My youngest got a hold of a sharpie yesterday, so that's that's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, does he have a future. I mean, is he gonna put himself through college with his art?
Speaker 2: At this point He's gonna have to because the math ain't math.
Speaker 3: And I'm not sure he found his voice yet, but you know, we'll give him time.
Speaker 2: Fingers crossed. You never know. You know, you know my daughter and you know this. She's she does these these very elaborate arts and crafts things. Oh yeah, she's nine, and she just I mean she she watches like YouTube videos about how to make things, and you know she and and you saw this recently. She she makes, for example, these little uh you know, like fit in your hand replicas of backpacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah. When we were up there, Sean and I are visiting you, she was like, we were gonna make these together, okay, And so she took us into another room. She had scissors, a glue gun, all the materials, and I was a little like, okay, let's see what this is. And then she makes this amazing little backpack you would buy in the store that you could put your keys in or you know, change or money or whatever. And I was, yeah, it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had you guys sitting there doing them. She was walking back and forth, she had a switch. She was if you were working too slowly, you know. Yes, so she's she's got that figured out.
Speaker 3: She's tough but fair.
Speaker 2: She's she's got a sweat shop monitoring job in her future. Were very hopeful anyway, So yeah, you know, maybe maybe she can teach the baby some of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go. Yes, well, I guess it runs in the family.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know what, these kids, they got to be. They gotta be self starters at this point, right, you know, Uh, I should say the baby, it's fun, you know, he he's he started recognizing super heroes.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, I remember this, right down to your first son, where he could go through you had the Marvel superhero like trading cards. Yeah, in a binder, and I remember you would flip the pages and point at a character. And he was so young and he'd go Hulk, Captain America. Yeah, so so all the way down to your your your last.
Speaker 2: Well he would he would if I if I said, where's Hulk, he would point to him like he he He didn't talk as much my first one.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: My youngest. Meanwhile, you know, like we got him Spider Man, pajamas and he points he goes Superman and I'm like, no, God damn it. And then he I I you know, he found like a Superman plush he goes, he Man. I'm like, son of a bitch. So it's a little frustrating this kid. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, at least he's showing uh an interest.
Speaker 2: Listen either do writer, don't do it at all.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, you know, that's for Actually I think your daughter would agree. Yeah, seriously, where's that switch? I was like dancing around it. I was like, do I make a joke about a switch?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure.
Speaker 2: I think. Look, she's tough. But she told you guys, she she said, go cut me a switch. And you're like, it's like handing you a shovel, and yeah, but I don't I don't know how she does all that. I mean, they're quite quite good, quite.
Speaker 3: Well done, you know, so talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah the little backpacks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, I have it right here next to the desk.
Speaker 2: You better. Yeah, you don't want her asking And and then you're like, oh I misplaced it, you know, Yeah, that's not gonna go. Well, hey, Anyway, we got some listener letters, Brian, you have for me?
Speaker 1: Hey, teen thousand lasts all addressed.
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, hey, you know our last I don't even know it was. It was when we talked about Supergirl. Is that our last regular show?
Speaker 3: Yes, which I think is going to be streaming next week? Which is is it?
Speaker 2: Really? Because I know Masters Universe that's going to be on the twenty first, So that's next week as we're recording this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm sorry, July twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that's nuts that. Yeah, well we'll talk about that in a second. But here's a note we got from Rob Kelly in response to that episode, and he says, great show, guys. I had you in my ears while jogging, which always makes the time go by faster, essential when jogging during a blazing Florida summer. The good news is it's a blazing summer pretty much wherever we go in the country right now. This is when Zachie mentioned having seen Masters of Universe four times already. I almost gasped. With a full time job a podcast and at last count, approximately seventeen children accurate, I thought, how the hell does he have time to see any movie in the theater four times, which made me want to ask, was there a movie you saw in the theater multiple times and after time passed you look back and went, Wow, I don't even like that movie anymore. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen at Masters of the Universe. You goddamn right it won't. But for me, I saw The Phantom Menace in the summer of ninety nine a total of nine times in the theater, nine times, nine and ninety nine. Having completely convinced myself what I saw was good, time has proven otherwise for me. I'm glad, he said. I'm glad, he said for me, because you know people are going to be like jumping through the speaker related while on my jog I imagine a scenario where Zachi cloned himself multiplicity style using a three D printer. He props that version up on the sofa so you can still be Dad while also seeing Masters of the Universe for the fifth time. This fake Zachi comes with several pre recorded phrases to further the illusion. It's no Magnificent Amber. Since I just sent some more comics to be bound, you've got a great movie. Waiting for you. Hey, let's watch Planet of the Apes again.
Speaker 3: Your wife would not even know the difference like you guys would. Beginning you should be getting into bed like a night Zachie, like, let's watch Planet of the Apes again. That's right, I love you too. Turn out the light.
Speaker 2: Rob ends with I may have heat stroke. I just last part first. Uh. Rob is one of many people who has said that you've got a great movie waiting for you is like one of my catchphrases, which I gotta say, as catchphrases go, I am happy to take that on. Yeah right, yeah, totally, like if that's something people associate with me saying, you know, I think that's good. I think that's nice.
Speaker 3: I think that encapsulates well the spirit of this show, you know. I mean sometimes online you'll see younger people being like, hey, I just saw this great movie it's called The Godfather, and people will jump on them, you know, and it's like, why make someone feel bad about discovering something great, you know? Or if I guess more related to this, if they haven't seen The Godfather or they haven't seen something that's a classic, instead of jumping on them, you haven't seen that? What just go, hey, you got a great movie waiting for you. You should check that out, you know, encourage them exactly. Yeah, come on, come on, people, let's be better. Come on.
Speaker 2: Well, and you know, I you know, speaking of The Godfather, you know, I screened that in my classes every semester, and I always say, you know, because I'm always like, who's seen it? And you know, maybe a one or two have seen it, And I'm always like, well, you know, I'm glad I get to be part of this experience for you the first time you watch.
Speaker 3: The Godfather exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the trick is like you don't want to overhype something. Sure, so that's why you're never like, oh, this is considered one of the grace movies ever made. Play you know, you're right, right, right, you know, I feel like that's what messes up, like like Citizen Kane. Right, people always lead with that, right, And I think that's a mistake because I think Citizen Kane, you just you just be like, you know, it's a it's a story about it's a tragedy about a man who has everything and and it just hollows him out inside.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you say something like that and you might even be like, you know, it's an older film, but you may be surprised how much you you find yourself invested in it. Exactly right, because because when you start with, oh, you know, most surveys will say it's one of the greatest movies of all time.
Speaker 2: Well, when you when you tell that to like a fifteen year old, you're asking them to hate it, right, because they're like, I don't I don't want to follow your your structures. I'd my own thing, you know anyway. So that's why I didn't realize that that's like a thing that I say enough for.
Speaker 3: It to be a catchphrase.
Speaker 2: But like I said, on the other hand, hey let's watch Planet of the Apes again. Well, ask my kids. And that is indeed something that I will say quite often. Right as far as movies watched multiple times, well, and actually before we even get to that, Masters the Universe, I did see four times in the theater that it it did work out. I did not regret any of that. I enjoyed it each time. But it just sort of worked out where like I went to the press screening and then you know, my brother wanted to see it, and then my wife separately wanted to see it, and she's like, well, I'd rather watch it with you, and I was like okay, and then you and Sean were like, let's go see.
Speaker 3: It, and we made it work by going at ten thirty at night.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: So we were there the whole day. I think your kids eventually went to bed and then that's how we got.
Speaker 2: Out, and we're like, hey man time yea. I know, so that is rare. I don't. I don't often do that, although although I think, my gosh, I'm I probably watched I think Avengers End Game. I saw that four times. But that is it is rare, especially these days. It is rarer. And I will definitely not watch a movie multiple times if I'm not if I'm not you know, feeling it right. But but I will say, speaking a Planet of the Apes two thousand and one, I watched the Timberton Planet of the Apes I'm going to say at least three times, probably four times, trying to convince myself each time that it wasn't in fact, not very good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, going back to Phantom Menace, I remember we were all trying to convince ourselves that it was better than it was back then, and I think we've come around on it in a certain from a certain point of from a certain point of view, Yeah, in some ways. But yeah, I remember seeing it multiple times and sort of quieting voices in my head.
Speaker 2: So I think I'm gonna say I saw Phantom Menace twice the whole way through in the theater, and then I know I would just like sneak in and watch the lightsaber fight. I did that at least a couple of times. But for me that was different because I watched Phantom Menace. I was more clear eyed. Because I watched it, I was like, this isn't really working for me. And then I watched it again to be like just sort of test my hypothesis about the first one. I was like, no, that's that's true. Yeah, but that was me nine and ninety nine though. I respect that Rob's that's impressive. Yeah, very What about you, Brian, What's what's a movie you saw multiple times that you did not like that you realize later you didn't like Man as much.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, if I'm being honest off the top of my head, like something that I was trying to force myself to like, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I the movie or even something that you look back on you're like, like, maybe you liked it then, but you look at it now you're like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still not quite sure, but I am relating to your story about seeing something multiple times with different people. Yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 2: You do that a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the one that I remember most was I saw Children of Men four times. Wow, probably in less than two weeks. And that's that's a lot. Yeah. But it was funny because I didn't want to tell anyone because I knew if I said that I had seen it, they would be like, oh no, no, no, then we're not going to do it. I was like, no, no, no, I want you guys to see it.
Speaker 2: There is nothing more Brian than what you just said.
Speaker 3: Well, I told the final person, Okay, I was like, this is the fourth time I've seen it, you know. I had probably only been out for like two weeks. And she was like what. She's like, why don't you say something? I'm like, well, because I wanted you to see it, you know. And then I saw it with my brother and I saw probably Chad that I you know, and I do remember feeling like this movie's a lot I mean, it is a great movie, fantastic movie, but our times in two weeks, good lord. Yeah, yeah, but yeah, I'll do that occasionally because that's the thing though, is I do want to experience these things with people, right, Like Disclosure day, you know, I wanted I saw it and we had our feelings, and then I had a friend that wanted to see it, and I want to be there with this person while it's happening and then have the discussion afterwards. And I always want to see stuff with my brother and get his opinion. Actually, the Odyssey, right, I'm seeing it again this coming Saturday at seven thirty am because that's the only time my brother can see it. But I'm like more than happy to do it because it means something to me to be there while he's watching it and then have that discussion when he's walking out. So I'm not able to do that as much these days, but that is something that I'm still willing to do, and like it's not a chore, like I actually enjoy it. But four times is a bit much. But yeah, but yeah, yeah, that's I'm okay with that.
Speaker 2: See, I mean, as far as I'm concerned, there is no seven thirty am on a weekend, So yeah, I have nothing but respect.
Speaker 3: Well you know what part of that is. I mean, I'm sure we would have been happier at like nine thirty maybe, but we If you're gonna see this, well, if you're able, it'd be nice to see this movie in true imax. And so imax is a hot commodity for this particular film. It was shot entirely in the IMAX format. And all the other times and there are many of them, they're all sold out. So seven thirty am, which is still about half sold out. Wow, that's the only time we could get seats. So hey, it's all good.
Speaker 2: I respect it.
Speaker 3: I respect it.
Speaker 2: Well well okay, well thank you for sharing that. So you know, the the real moral of the story is Brian is a good friend to have. He'll go see that. You know, it doesn't matter if you've seen it already. He wants to experience it with you.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I just that's that's impressive. Well, thank you for that, Rob, and I will be watching Masters of the Universe again, not on the big screen, but in digital very shortly, so looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm glad, you know, by the way, just because I know how much Masters of the Universe means to you and has meant to you through your life. That makes me very happy that that is the reaction you had to that movie.
Speaker 2: You know, I really like it's It's so funny because I see so many people online are like, man, it sucks that it flopped, and I'm like, well again, you know, just based on our conversations here, I had no illusions about it not flopping, So it was really I just wanted to be good. You know, We've had one Master's Universe live action movie for forty years, and I've lived a perfectly contented life, soditional one. That's totally fine.
Speaker 3: You know, you really put it into perspective for me, because yeah, I'm I'm bummed that there's a little stink on it and bummed that maybe it won't get the sequel that I would hope it would get. But then you are like, well, it's like The Rocketeer, and I was like, oh, and I adore The Rocketeer. I don't think of the Rocketeer of having any stink on it. I think it's a wonderful movie from my childhood that I still love. And so and it was a flop when it came out, and so, yeah, you're right. I think this movie will probably become like The Rocketeer.
Speaker 2: I suspect, you know, and there's a long tradition of this. I mean Flash Gordon from nineteen eighty and you know, even Dick Tracy, which is considered an underperformer. All of these movies have you know, have a legacy, and this is this is going to be part of that pot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: So here's a movie that is not going to be part of that pot. And this is an email we got in response to our commentary track for Independence Day Resurgence. She dropped just a few weeks ago. This is from Adamo who says, just to be clear, I'm not saying that people can't grow and change over time, but does this count as growth or just a lack of resolve to stand firm in your core fundamental beliefs. And then he included an audio file do we want to I want to play that.
Speaker 3: Let's do.
Speaker 2: Now now?
Speaker 6: In order to head off the questions in advance, we will not be doing Independence Day Resurgence.
Speaker 2: Do not ask.
Speaker 6: That is that is not that movie does not exist in this no Jo Once was enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so that was in our Independence Day commentary track.
Speaker 3: I believe, yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: So first of all, I should say this is proof that I do not listen to our show, right like I I we speak, we do this, and then it just goes into the into the pile, and that's it. I this is proof positive because I have I believe I said that unless Adam has some elaborate, deep fake AI program.
Speaker 3: Right right, Actually, it'd be funny if it ended with you also be like, also, I'm a big stupid head. This is Zachi.
Speaker 2: I have no memory of having said that.
Speaker 3: I never think about the fact that the thing that's coming out of my mouth could become exhibit A.
Speaker 2: It's true. But yeah, so I again I proof I don't listen to the show. But Adam says, I'm not mad, Zachi just disappointed. For the record, only you guys could make me listen to a commentary for Independence Day Resurgence. And while the commentaries for Jaws and the Og Independence Day have become part of my Fourth of July routine for the past few years, A warm hug while I putter around, grilled doze in my hammock, et cetera. I don't think I'll be adding this one to that tradition as always, thanks again for a fun show.
Speaker 3: Well, that means a lot to me that he still enjoys listening to Jaws and the first Independence Day.
Speaker 2: That's amazing and fair.
Speaker 3: Fair.
Speaker 2: I think what it came down to is when you and I were, you know, we just bad ideas back and forth about something fun to drop over the holiday, and I mentioned I was like, well, Independence Day too is ten years old. You know that could be fun to talk through. And I think we had a fun discussion, is my sense. You know.
Speaker 3: I think we have come to realize that even less successful movies can be fun to workshop together, you know, because it's connected to something we do love. So it's a return to that world, which is always interesting at least, And then if it doesn't work, it's kind of fun to go through and see, well this does work, why doesn't this ultimately feel this way by the end? Then and then you and I end up workshopping things and riffing and kind of having fun with it, and those end up being some of my favorite commentaries.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I do, I feel like and you know, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like that's kind of like we found a lane when it comes to you know, quote unquote bad movies that differentiates us from how did this get made? Or or we hate movies or you know, and those guys do what they do very well.
Speaker 3: Love the Yeah, I love those guys, but that.
Speaker 2: Our approach is more, Yeah, we're kind of we're doing an autopsy a little bit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: In the case of Independence Day Resurgence, obviously there was a lot to there was a lot of necrotic tissue to work with. I mean it, truly. That was the first time in ten years I had seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same, and you know it it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite It's quite a thing, that movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: So Hopefully hopefully people found the experience of listening to us talk through it interesting even if they haven't seen the movie.
Speaker 3: Yep, I agreed, all right.
Speaker 2: Last note here we got from Hey Sean Coyle. Hey like this guy, he says, ohla movie film chumps popping in today for a few reasons. Firstly, I was listening to a recent episode where listener and Mega Masters of the Universe fan shared his experience watching the film and how it related to his love for he Man, which was shared by his now late father, and that's our friend Mike Snyder. By the way. By the end of the story, I found myself in tears remembering all the things I shared with my father now past. Whenever I rewatch an episode of Cheers or have burgers going on the grill while the sounds of a baseball game are broadcast in the background, it's like he's right there with me. That Masters of the Universe story was absolutely wonderful. Speaking of which, Brian, when are you going to start your cheers binge? So we can discuss this year? This year, this year we'll see clock a stick and Brian, I know secondarily I'm right there with you, fellows regarding our feelings on Toy Story five. But there was one thing I wanted to add. Is it me or does Bonnie have terrible parents? Hmm? Okay, maybe not terrible, as they clearly show an awareness for her sadness, But the entire movie hinges on the idea that Bonnie's parents have set absolutely zero boundaries when it comes to screen time. It was the only problem that kept nagging at me during the movie. But Disney has shown over the course of forever that parents are only necessary to a story if one of them dies so that their child can become Queen of the Sea or some shit.
Speaker 3: I give you a queen of the sea.
Speaker 2: What would have helped is that as Bonnie and Blaze go off to play in the front yard and other kids start to gather, that we see the parents, noticing this, set their own phones down and go out to the kids play from the front porch, or even connect with other now unplugged neighbors over the picket fence.
Speaker 3: That would have been a nice because I thought the movie did a good job of showing that the parents are also susceptible to this, especially Blaze's dad, And it's not like he's doing anything wrong necessarily. It looks like he's working occasionally, but he is almost always seen in front of a screen because either a that's how life is, yeah in some ways. And also I think he was chatting with friends at one point, so it was showing that it's not just a problem for like kids, which I kind of respected. But along those lines, I think that that's a pretty good note, Like it would be kind of nice, especially if you have a strange kid playing with your kid in the front yard for the first time, Like maybe you'd sit on the porch and just kind of a.
Speaker 2: New kid, not a strange kid.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what I'm saying, A stranger.
Speaker 2: I love if a weird kid is playing with your.
Speaker 3: Yea, some psycho comes over to your house now, But you know what I'm saying, Like I could see I could see that where it's like, oh, then put the phone down and the parents kind of sit and cuddle up a little bit on a patio swing and kind of watch happily as the kids play.
Speaker 2: I don't know, see, I would have liked mom and dad to They look at Blaze and Bonnie, then they look at each other. Then they get a hammer and they like break their phones, and then they go into Bonnie's room and they get lily Pad, and lily Pad is like no, no, we cant and we just we we end on the other toys look of horror, as like the hammer is coming down on lily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, stop stop, it's already dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah that would have been my ending. Yeah, That's why I'm not in charge of Pixar though. Uh Sean continues third, regarding Supergirl and the frequent use of t Bou Guardians or Timu gun In reviews and discussions yours included, it feels like James Gunn and DC are all in on a vibe that audiences have already grown tired of. Now, with Clayface being the next offering, you could make the argument that it feels like James Gunn is making these movies for himself and his fans and not properly servicing the source material and the greater DC universe. No one should ever expect to repeat the long play model of the MCU that culminated so masterfully in Avengers Endgame. But James Gunn Superman, which I very much enjoyed, in spite of some of the unsavory or two off kilter gun isms, moments and characters, did a wonderful job of showcasing that this world was filled with vibrant, interesting characters and that dealing with alien blob attacks was just an everyday thing. I couldn't wait to see what this universe's version of Flash and Mister Miracle and Aquaman and Green Arrow and Black Canary and Booster Gold and a Wonder Woman and Batman would look like, But instead we get Clayface. What are your thoughts on this current direction and after the lackluster box office from Supergirl, do you foresee any drastic or reactionary pivots in their master plan? Keep on movie filming here, Old pal Shan, And what I will say is, thank you Sean for those questions. Luckily for you and everyone else, we actually did have this discussion, right, Brian.
Speaker 3: We did? Yes? Wow?
Speaker 2: Was this on a bonus Ofis this was a bonus episode?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: I get them confused sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we talked about this very thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we held court for almost an hour. So hey, if you want to hear that conversation, jump over to the Patreon page.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I do think it's interesting. I mean, just to touch on it briefly here to.
Speaker 2: Well, we should say real quick, as of this recording, Supergirl is the lowest grossing DC movie in like twenty years.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I mean, then to kind of build on the conversation we had because we have new information. We've just learned that Matt Reeves The Batman Part two has been pushed again and that will be coming out now in February of twenty twenty eight. So with all of this in mind, it makes me think Yeah, with the second movie out of guns DC Universe performing disaster slee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like no sugarcoating whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like they really need to sort of establish the known beloved pillars of DC for us, to like to ground us and make us feel confident that we're going to be in this univers verse for the next couple of years. And so I think that means Batman. I think that means Flash Wonder Woman. And with Reeves movie now not coming out till twenty twenty eight, does that mean we're not going to get a gun Batman till twenty nine later? Like that doesn't feel great.
Speaker 2: But have they ever said that, like they're gonna wait till Reeves finishes telling his story before they do the DCU Batman that I never know?
Speaker 3: No, Actually the opposite. I think he was saying that they were going to do like a brave and bold kind of thing, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're not like waiting for for for Reeves to finish Grown Roses.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm true, true, but it just well, I don't know. I guess I don't even know what to say about that because we we don't know what their plan is, but they might want to let us in on it, you know, like Marvel does occasionally. You know, they'll show what a phase is going to look like and the people we can expect coming up, so we can go, oh great, Well, at least I can look forward to that. But to Seawn's point, for people that are feeling a little nervous about DC at the moment, you know, clay Face being next on the calendar isn't like a oh few, okay, we're good. Yeah's you know, for the majority of people, right.
Speaker 2: It's an odd choice. I mean, I've said for a little while that I think, at least as it pertains to Supergirl, if you're going to do a Supergirl movie, you should have done it after Man of Tomorrow, right, because Man of the idea here is like Supergirl sets up her status quo leading into Man of Tomorrow, and I think that's just a mistake because there wasn't enough rooting interest from her based on her cameo at the end of Superman. So put her in manat Tomorrow. She gets a decent role, I presume, and then and then you set up, you know, whatever you're gonna do in the Woman Tomorrow adaptation. Just ill conceived. I mean it sucks. I mean that's the bottom line, right, I I wish the movie had done better, but I also wish the movie was better. Yeah, Sam, Right, and I you know, like that's really it because people didn't show up and then it just dropped like a stone. So it's you know, uh well, I mean there's a conversation we're gonna have it just a little bit about just the broader box office trends this this summer, you know. Uh but thank you for that, Sean, And like I said, uh, more of that on the bonus feed, so so definitely check that out. Hey we got a new trailer.
Speaker 3: Bright coming soon to theaters.
Speaker 2: So hey, I don't know if you know. This year is the fiftieth anniversary of Rocky Wow five zero crazy right, Yeah, it's it's nuts to I mean we're hitting that point now where so many of the like our stuff is nudging up to and blowing past fifty years. Next year's Star Wars obviously wow strange, Like, I mean, you know, we're hit once we're into the stuff from the eighties being fifty plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then it's gonna feel really weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have like a decade long existential crisis. Right, you know, but in order to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of Rocky, we have coming up on MGM V MGM on this in theaters, right I think so? Yeah, okay from Amazon MGYM, so it'll be on prime video at some point. It's the making of Rocky called I Play Rocky, direct by Peter Fairley. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just saw that on named I did not know that he.
Speaker 2: Of Green Book of all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: That's his claim to him. And and there's something about Mary.
Speaker 3: Yeah and dumb and dummer and this.
Speaker 2: Witness the duality of man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Actually that's hilarious. And yeah, his sizzle reel you could show Jeff Daniels having explosive diary on a toilet and then to Beagle Mortensen solving racism.
Speaker 2: So this is a film that they just dropped the trailer in the last forty eight hours as we're talking about it. Anthony Ippolito plays a young Sylvester Stallone. We want to play some of the audio from this, let's do it. Are you delusional?
Speaker 6: You don't get the looks to be a movie star, not to mention you talk like you got rocks in your mouth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I don't look like Einstein, but I got a brain.
Speaker 2: The only way when we get to show people is we don't have to write a script for myself.
Speaker 5: Yes, so do that.
Speaker 2: Ry slip and give yourself the best part. So I have said for years, you know, because in my film classes, I talk about the making of Rocky and I'm like, the way Rocky got made, I mean, it's like a movie itself. So yeah, I mean, I'm not saying I had it was an original thought from me, but I'm you know, the fact that they're making a movie about the making of Rocky it feels very appropriate. I have to say. I was skeptical. Yeah, and then I hit play on the trailer and by the end of by the end of the trailer, I was like, man, I want to watch this movie same.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the thing. Movies like this can either be really really hammy and on the nose, and I feel bad. I don't know why I feel bad picking on this movie, but that Jimmy Stewart movie, right. For some reason, I feel this weird sort of like thing where I'm being mean when I.
Speaker 2: Like well, because when one presumes it's being made with its heart in the right place.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it does have that sort of real on the nose, almost like Hallmark movie, you know, sort of thing to it where it just feels like, I don't know, a little too saccharine and all that sorts of things you just don't know with these, yeah, things that look back nostalgically a stuff that we know we already love. But yeah, when I watched this trailer, I was like, holy cow, I'm pumped up. Yeah, like it really got me. And it does look like a really fascinating underdog story much like Rocky, So I'm all in on this.
Speaker 2: Well, it gives me vibes kind of I mean different, but similar to the offer you know about the making of The Godfather, which.
Speaker 3: I thought was so good and just underseen that is a really really fun series.
Speaker 2: Well that honestly that should have been a movie. Yeah, you know, I think I think a lot of this stuff it becomes a streaming series and then it's just forgotten about. Yeah, and we're talking about the Offer, we should say Anthony Apolito, who plays Sylvester Stallone in this new movie. He also played al Pacino in The Offer.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can see it. I could see. It's so funny because when you put him in the context of Sylvester Stallone, it's like, whoa, that guy looks exactly like Sylvester Stallone, but young al Pacino, Like this guy has resting seventies guy face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, seventies Italian American face.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He'll play Tony Danza in the Saxi Behind the Scenes biopic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeh.
Speaker 2: Can we get Anthony Apolito think Samantha right, Angela get right in that one, Brian make an offer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that did have kind of a fun, bouncy almost like gets shorty ish sort of Hollywood, what a wacky place. But you know, it's not a comedy, but it some fun whereas this, I like that, This didn't for me lean into the hokey, saccharine hammy winky sort of thing like remember this wink? You know, like it looks very sincere and well performed and well executed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, well, we we've got I mean it's it's pretty pretty solid cast. Right. We got Matt Dillon as Stallone's dad, Stephen James as Carl Weathers.
Speaker 3: He looks incredible. Yeah, yeah, it sounds incredible too.
Speaker 2: Toby Kibble as Robert chartaf Uh. I think the story, you know, this is one of those things, right, I mean again, I've talked about this in my classes. I'm like, stallone gets this idea and you know, inspired by you know, the Chuck Webner fight, Mhammad Ali writes the script and and it's it's this is this is the historical record that they love the script. And they're like, we want to make it a star vehicle for for Ryan O'Neil or whoever. We'll give you this much money. No, we'll give you this much mone.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: They keep up in the ante and he's like no, because he has the clarity at that moment in his life, while he's living in a shoe box apartment with no prospects, he has the clarity to say, if if this movie gets made and in success and I'm not in it, I will live with that regret for the rest of my life. Right. And now you think about like, who whoever has that that much clarity, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and believe in themselves? Right, I mean it's I love stories like this, and I remember, even with the Steve Jobs book and other sorts, of stories where you know these decisions wind lead to massive success. Yeah, but you think of them in that moment and they don't know that and they still stick to their guns. It's just so inspiring, it really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I mean, here we are, like we already know well St Leicester Stallone has had an extraordinary career still going yep, and so you know the fact that that he I mean think imagine being sliced alone at that moment. Be like, they're gonna make a movie about you holding out for more money, like right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in that hard moment. Yeah, like you said in his shoe box apartment where he could really use the money and he keeps saying no because he believes in himself. Not only is your movie gonna get made and win Oscars and you're gonna become one of the most known stars on the planet, They're gonna make a movie about this moment, this moment you standing your ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be so iconic that all of this is gonna be like Shorthand for a making of movie. You know, amazing. So this Anthony Appolito, I mean, the resemblance is impressive.
Speaker 3: It's uncanny down to like the most subtle sorts of features on his face.
Speaker 2: Very much looks like him, the one. I don't even know if this is a qualm. This is just a reaction based on the trailer. It feels like he's doing Rocky more than he's doing Sylvester Stallone.
Speaker 3: I see that, Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And maybe this is just because the trailer's just putting certain bits in there, right, But I mean the thought I had it's kind of a Jaafar Jackson situation, right, like is he going to be so identified with Sylvester Stallone that he won't be able to find other stuff? You know?
Speaker 3: That's the thing. It's almost a miracle how much he looks like him. But will that be something we're unable to shake when in other roles? I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then meanwhile, you know they're shooting the John Rambo right now, the Rambo prequel.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Has a Noah Sentinao as as a Rambo.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is just the year for like young Stallone.
Speaker 3: Projects basically, that's funny.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm sure Amazon MGM is very excited because they're they're looking at a brand new franchise because in a couple of years, we get to do I play Rocky in the sequel to Rocky Yes, right, thirty I play Rocky in Creed Yes, Yes, and then and then fifty years from now, I play the guy playing Rocky and I play Rocky. Yeah, I'm looking forward to that one. God willing in twenty seventy six, you and I we'll go watch that together.
Speaker 3: I remember seeing I play Rocky playing Rocky. That's what I'm open for. Dude, You've made me snort twice this episode.
Speaker 2: When does this come out? November twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Amazon having a heck of a year. I mean, they had Project hill Mary one of the.
Speaker 2: Most they've had their ups and downs.
Speaker 3: Well, it's certainly, but I mean this year, you know, like, you know, I just had someone recently this past week tell me they watched Hill Mary for the first time, and even after all the hype and people recommending it, they're like, this movie is so good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, Wow, when's the last time a movie just captured such a broad audience's imagination. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's the story of the box office this year is the highs are very high, even as the lowers are very low. And I think that is itself, you know, illuminating.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking of which, Hey, we have some headlines extra well right off the bat, this is this is a story that that I mean, it broke my heart seeing this headline. Yeah, Sam Neil has passed away.
Speaker 3: Last thing I expected to pop up on my phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he had been fighting cancer, right. However, he did announce earlier this year, a few months ago, that he was cancer free, and indeed he he died of pneumonia. Yeah, and you know, I mean he was seventy eight years old, which see seventy eight is is kind of this age range where it's like you're not a young man obviously, but it's you don't expect somebody to pass away suddenly at that age, right exactly, like I you know, I think, you know, I don't know. I just I just thought we'd get more performances from him, you know.
Speaker 3: And we'd been seeing quite a bit of him recently, I mean, even returning to the role of Alan Grant, and he turned up in some of the Thorr movies. You know, he just he was still a presence.
Speaker 2: Still a presence, and I mean, I'll be honest, this one hit me really really hard. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, I got kind of emotional, and I was not expecting that.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, I mean obviously for you and I, I mean, we do have such a specific relationship with Jurassic Park, and he is so integral in that movie that you know, we just sort of formed a real relationship with Sam Neil as Alan Grant, you know. And yeah, to your point, you know, I'm like, I'm glad we got to see him play that role one last time. You know, I think the movie did justice to his character. Even if the movie was hit or miss, you know.
Speaker 3: We were definitely at the very least happy to see him again, you know.
Speaker 2: And and just you know, beyond just the sadness we feel as fans, and you know what I you know, obviously what his family's going through. I mean, I think something very beautiful has been the almost uniform admiration for his kindness and just just decency. There are no bad Sam Neil stories. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I kept seeing a word come up which was protective, hm, you know, with the child actors from Jurassic Park, Lord Dern, and I just I found that very interesting and like what a what a quality that you would love to have someone say about you. It's like they're very protective of me. I felt very safe with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was a there was a you know, Arianna Richards, who who played Lex in Jurassic Park. She posted posted something nice on on Instagram. Joe Mazzello, who was tim Uh. He posted a video which I mean I got I got choked up watching it. You know how he had he how he didn't even realize Sam Neil was still like following him right this many decades later and just saying, you know, keep it up, Joey.
Speaker 3: You know, yeah, I think he had just had a movie come out or something.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Sam commented on it like, yeah, keep it up, that's great, and he's like, oh, I didn't even know you were tracking what I was up to.
Speaker 2: Just the like the little kindnesses, you know, mm hmm. I saw Bryce Howard she posted. Sam was exactly who you hoped he'd be. Funny, warm, wickedly self deprecating, endlessly kind, a beautiful human being who happened to also be Alan Grant and what a career by the way, Like I mean, obviously Jurassic Park right, that's the thing. I mean, you and I included like that's what immediately what we think of. But but what range you know a hunt Fred October.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I would like to have seen Montana. Yeah, yeah, right, heartbreaking.
Speaker 2: You know, by Centennial Man. You know there's a movie I come back to again and again. I was telling Amana. I was like, when Robin Williams died, I watched by Centennial Man, When James Horner died, I watched by Centennial Man. And now I want to watch by Centennial Man again. Yep, you know, oh gosh, I mean, you know, Dead Calm in the Mouth of Madness, Event Horizon, like Hide for the Wilder People, Hunt for the Wilder People. Yeah. Yeah. Julian Dannison, who starred in that film. He also posted a lovely remembrance of him. Of course, he played the He played the actor playing Odin in Thor Ragnarok, right, you know Escape Plan that stallone Schwartzenegger. Oh yeah, he had like a key supporting role in that. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what it was always like a characteristic was sort of a warmth. Right when he's playing the doctor in this prison, It's not like someone with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth, who doesn't believe anybody. There's a little bit of a you realize you could if there's anyone you could possibly trust in this hellish place. Yeah, maybe it's this guy. And I think of a bicentennial man. You could have the inventor of this cyborg sort of character, be a little wacky or a little unhinged or you know, but there's a warmth. There's a fatherly quality to that character, you know, I mean, frankly, the thing to me that encapsulates him so strongly. I just rewatched Jurrassic Park. I mentioned it's my favorite line, and it's my brother and I. His favorite line is after the t Rex situation and Lex is freaking out and saying, you know, he left us about the lawyer he left us, and then he gets this incredible Spielberg heroque shot That's not what I'm gonna do. And it's funny because you know, Harrison Ford was who Steven Spielberg originally wanted for that role, and you can I can picture that version, but it feels a little bit more like a movie star. It feels a little bit more you're not exactly sure what he's always thinking, you know, with this guy. But what Sam Neil brought to that character was what seems to be inherently him, which is a stoicism, but like a warmth, you know, and a graciousness and like a dad energy frankly, And what I love is, you know, I think about the We talk often about the movie Home Alone and why it's endured, and we say, because it's more than a boy just throwing pink cans at burglars. It's about a child learning to grow up a little and think about other people. There's a warmth and there's a humanity. That is the secret sauce to that movie, and that's why people still love it all these years later. And I think that's the secret sauce to Jurassic Park, because it's not just about people getting eaten by dinosaurs. We start with a guy who was a little grumpy and doesn't like kids, or thinks he doesn't like kids, and over the course of the movie, I've always loved the moment too where he goes up into the tree and Tim's scared and he's like, I threw up. He's like, I won't tell anyone you threw up. It's so like dad like and warm, and then we have you know, when the kids cuddle up with him in the tree and he's a little surprised by it, but they feel immediately comfortable with this guy. And then we end with the movie with them falling asleep on him in the helicopter and he gives that really nice smile, that lovely smile to Lord Dern, Like, that's the secret sauce of Jurassic Park.
Speaker 2: Well, and one moment you didn't mention is when he touches the electrified fence.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the playfulness, right, and that incredible smile he gives that funny dad joke. He just made a great dad joke, you know, and it's just, yeah, like that's something only he could bring to that character. That's why we still love that character so much. And I think that's why that movie especially endures in our hearts, yeah, all these years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and you know that's sort of like, in terms of cinematic legacy, you know, Jurassic Park ensures that Sam Neil will be watched and admired for for forever, right above and beyond all the other work that he did, But just as important, more important is his legacy of just kindness and and that's not something you can fake. It's it's something that that I think all of us can learn from. I mean, you and I we've just been sharing, you know, texts back and forth, the various people uh uh telling stories about him, you know, and it's like that that's not you know, that, that's not a manufactured persona. That's what's there, right, you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, and it shined through in his roles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, absolutely so so just truly like for for for the world of film. I mean it really it. I'm sad for all of the performances that were yet to come that we're not we're not going to see. But but what a what a legacy to leave behind, both on screen and off.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Oh and and one thing I did want to mention about Sam neil He a couple of years ago, three years ago, he put out an autobiography called Did I Ever Tell You This?
Speaker 3: Oh, now that you say it, I remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And and I had back in the day, you know, I downloaded the audio book and I listened to it, and so I've been listening to that the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Well now that, yeah, i'd really like to listen to that. I think I'm assuming he narrates it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he read it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has such like a soothing, you know, demeanor. I bet it's a pleasant thing to listen to.
Speaker 2: I really, because I know a lot of folks right now are definitely feeling that. You know, it's hard to to really sum up, you know, the loss of like a celebrity who you didn't know, But we do form these parasocial relationships.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's valid, you know. But I found personally over the last few days just listening to this audiobook, I just found it very pleasant. You know. It's just just sort of a way of connecting and remembering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I definitely want to maybe go on audible and yeah I give that a download.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I said, it's called Did I ever tell you this?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 2: So Sam Neil rip In other news, Hey, Mowana is in theaters.
Speaker 3: Again again again again.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't mean the twenty sixteen animated film. I mean the scene for seeing Gus Van Sant's style live action remake.
Speaker 3: I have not heard anyone make that comparison. That is genius. That is genius. Well, and also I say again again again, because there was a sequel just like a year ago or.
Speaker 2: Something, right, it was last year, right, and it made a billion plus.
Speaker 3: There you go, people like Mohana, well, man.
Speaker 2: This is so this one. And I should say I have not seen My wife did see it, and she's like, yeah, it's like the exact same thing. But it opened in like Supergirl territory.
Speaker 3: M yeah, they're close to it.
Speaker 2: Forty three million dollars in North America. This is like a two hundred and fifty million dollar movie.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that's before marketing and all the other fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a factor in another one hundred millions. So I mean this thing is cooked. Yeah, right, And I am sort of fascinated at this movie's existence because it really does feel like something no one was asking for.
Speaker 3: Well, and the conversation around these Disney live action remix is always like, is this These are just cynical cash grabs, right, Like they're taking stuff from their catalog that already exists, it's already beloved, and then they're just making a live action version because they know it's guaranteed millions for them, whether or not anyone ever even enjoys them or will ever revisit them, like, are these the choices when you know you want to show your kid snow White? Are you ever going to show them the live action Snowhite? Are you going to show them the original snow White?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: You know, so it feels a little cynical, but this one, you know, was like, well, this is undeniably cynical because this movie's not even ten years old and we're already remaking it. And yeah, they just know or they assumed everyone would show up and it would make a billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, well, and it feels like they were they were banking a lot on the appeal of seeing Dwayne Johnson play Maui in real life. Yeah, which I mean clearly they were overestimating the appeal of that proposition.
Speaker 3: Well, and do you also think that they were worried about him aging out of it a little bit? So it's like, let's do it while the getting's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm sure. I'm sure that was a factor. Although it's interesting because I was talking to some of my students about this, you know, this past semester, and I was like, well, you know, I mean, you gotta have Dwayne Johnson, Like we was going to play Maui, Like, we don't care about that.
Speaker 3: Oh, really interesting.
Speaker 2: There's no inherent necessity in their minds of having Dwayne Johnson playing Maui.
Speaker 3: H maybe that's something that would have made more since fifteen years ago or something where he was this big superstar that everybody at least seemed to like, whether or not they liked his movies.
Speaker 2: Well, so that's the the There's sort of an intermingling of several factors here, right. Number one, this is this entire summer is proving the proposition. And this is just like the cherry on top that if you wheel out the same old thing, if you if you have a wheelbarro of shit and tell people it's sugar, they will eventually stop turning up. Right. And look, last year Leelo and Stitch made a billion.
Speaker 3: Plus mm hmm yeah yeah right.
Speaker 2: And so's the what's the missing ingredient? I think time, right, Leelo and Stitch was twenty plus years ago, So I think it really needs to be an intergenerational prospect right where somebody takes their kids, right. I think Moana has not been around long enough. I also think, and this is something you and I talked about during our Troy commentary. How it just it looks unappealing.
Speaker 3: M M.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it looks like live action people plopped into the same exact digital environments from the animated film yep, and it's not doing anything different. So, I mean all of these factors, right, But to me, big picture, it's like, well, the Rock is a diminished people's champion at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's part of it for sure.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a bummer, right because I mean, during the life of this podcast, we've seen him be a stride Hollywood like a colossus. Yeah, but everything that goes up comes down.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I guess what I'm really fascinated by is it did seem like these Disney live action remakes were just fishing a barrel. That's right, because a couple movies aside they were, Yeah, And so it just seemed like, whether or not anyone felt this was cynical, it was still going to succeed in spite of all of that. And so it's just amazing to me that for the first time people kind of said no, not this time.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing, right, because because snow White flopped last year and this opened somewhere in the same range, right, Yeah, but you could chalk that up to you know, the dwarves looked vaguely hideous, yeah, and the you know, you know, some people said, oh, Rachel Ziggler made political comments, and there was a backlash of that. Who knows, But I think fundamentally the real reason that one flopped is that I don't know anybody who has like a deep like love of the Disney snow White.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just more an important part of its history than I think people who are dressing up like snow White or exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's so it lacks that that you know, parents taking their kids with them factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or even probably maybe most importantly with a lot of these dizzy movies, the songs, and I mean like the soundtracks that you're playing in the minivan when you're driving the kids around, Like, I don't know that many people are playing the snow White soundtrack, right.
Speaker 2: Hi ho, Hi ho. Nobody's playing that, right And and you know, so it's almost like between the two between snow White and Wan and we have the poles like that one the original is too old, this one, the original is too new. But why I wanted to bring this up is I think we're seeing is sort of the tale of the Summer because we have enough underperformers and overperformers to start mapping out what people are responding to. Right. So, so we have Mawana, we have Supergirl Mastered the Universe, obviously massive underperformers, right, which just speaks to the fact that it's people are not interested in those. And you can't say, oh, people aren't going to the movies anymore because of course obsession back rooms huge hits. But guess what Franchise Pictures Toy Story five headed for a billion dollars? You know, uh that that proves that, Well, it's not like people are just rejecting anything with the number at the end, right, I just and and obviously the Odyssey is going to be a I mean we're staring at the barrel of a massive, massive opening. And then you mentioned Project Hill Mary earlier, this earlier, this year is not a summer movie. But guess what huge hit people showed up? So what what what can we infer based on all.
Speaker 3: Of these I'm curious, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Well? I think for me, it's really if you build it, they'll come m hm, right, But it has to be a sturdy construct. I think I think Toy Story five. Look, what has worked in that franchise favor is that they wait mm hmm right. So again it's like, oh, they thought they were done with three. Oh why are they making another one? It's like, oh, it's a cynical cash grap okay, But they still waited nine years before they made the fourth one. They waited, you know, seven years before they made the fifth one.
Speaker 3: And I think that really shows a savviness with the audience. Because if you build a new Mowana, we like Moana one, so then you make a Mawana two, Well, people want to see the further adventures of those characters. But if you just, like you were saying, do like a karaoke or a pyche Gus van sant psycho of the first one, Yep, people sniffed that out and was like, well no, I mean and I do. I would like to believe that people people saw how it looked and kind of even subconsciously rejected it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. How do you spend that much money and have it seem so lifeless?
Speaker 3: You know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: It's odd, and I think that again, it's not that people are rejecting sequels out of hand. It's just give us something new, even if it's infamiliar trappings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like you said, I mean toy story. If they had a toy story like two three years ago, I don't know that would have had as big an opening this year. But those are characters we still love. They know it. They took their time and we showed up, you know. And then also I like that there are the surprises Project tail Mary. I never would have guessed it would have done as well as it did, but someone trusted their gut and was like, hey, this book's great, this is going to make a great movie. And it worked because it was good and people believed in it and they made a good movie. And Obsession, you know, that could have just been one of those horror things that got released on shutter and and you know, certain people are aware of it and then you never hear about it again. But it's like, there's something to this, and so people showed up and word of mouth is great and made more money than anyone could have imagined. Like the good stuff rising to the top. It's like the way you'd like for it to work.
Speaker 2: It's it's actually a reassuring story when you look at the overall trajectory of the box office this summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the variety of the things that are succeeding. Yeah, that's right, like the good stuff. People are seem to be sniffing it out and showing up for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the most part. And by the way, you know, you look at Disclosure Day. I think Disclosure Day is an interesting test case, right, because it's not it's not a sequel or a franchise picture. But I mean, I suppose Spielberg himself is the franchise, you know, right, and say what you will. I mean, I think it'll end up underperforming. But people did turn up opening weekend. Yeah, so there was curiosity at play. Yeah, so people are like, this is what I'm saying. People are interested and something different. And when I say different, it I don't mean they don't want franchise. They want something different within that franchise. And so the reaction to Supergirls very telling. First of all, people didn't even show up. People that did see it are like, well, it just feels like the same old thing. It feels like a million other.
Speaker 3: Things, right, right.
Speaker 2: Again, you look at you look at the Odyssey and what are we hearing? Oh? You know the Imax screens are sold out. Yeah, I was actually just looking this morning before we got on at the AMC just right by my house, and I mean two o'clock show completely sold out. You know, there's like a handful of seats left. Spider Man is going to be a hit in a few.
Speaker 3: Weeks because we love Spider Man and we haven't seen him.
Speaker 2: In a while exactly, and it's gonna be something different, right, So, I mean, I think all of this is actually kind of reassuring in a weird way.
Speaker 3: I do too, Actually, I like what this summer sort of seems to be telling.
Speaker 2: Now. So that said, and this is something we mentioned recently. You know, Paramount is still kicking the tires on a new G I. Joe movie, yes, which, like I I suspect that might not be a worthy investment, but I am interested because Danny McBride, who is a professed not just G I. Joe fan, but specifically a fan of the Marvel Comics run of G I. Joe, which is just that's my you know, that's my lingua franca. You know, that's like that's my er text, you know. So that for him, That's that's what's inspired him. So he wrote a script and it's just been announced as of this morning. He's also directing that movie. He's making his directorial debut, and it's looking like the film is going to star Bradley Cooper. Interesting and that actually the McBride of it is is kind of interesting because he's never directed, and I'm like, well, if he obviously he must have a hell of a pitch for Paramount to hire to direct it, right, But like, Bradley Cooper does not need to do a Gi Joe movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's off playing Leonard Bernstein and like, yeah.
Speaker 2: He's well removed from the Hangover days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there must be something here.
Speaker 2: That's where I'm like, hmm, interesting, you know, because initially, initially Chris Hamswerth was attached, and that actually had made less interested than Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 3: Agreed, even though I'm always sort of sticking up for him and wondering why he's not a bigger star. Yeah, but he's done some shit yeah yeah. Yeah. So I also wonder when I first heard about this if this was one of those window closing sorts of things been there. Yeah, you know, because the last two or three G I Joe movies, I'm sure they did okay, but they didn't set the world on fire.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the first one did well enough to warrant a sequel. Yeah, sequel. I think it made a little under five hundred worldwide, which just like rarefied air at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The third one came out during or just after the pandemic, so that one just totally died. I would say, unlike Masters of the Universe Gi Joe, there is still well you know what mass is the universe too, right, I mean, they are making toys, It's just it's aimed at collectors. So g I Joe is in like the exact same box as as Masters of the Universe. Mm hm so if I I mean, we're way out here. I don't even know if they ever call action on this thing. But I think it's a risky proposition, is what I would say.
Speaker 3: I agree, But what excites me about it? With those previous films, I don't remember them at all. I don't remember. They didn't feel like GI Joe movies to me in my mind, even though I'm not the hugest fan, You're the big GI Joe guy, But like they just felt like, you know, uh, fanciful military movies, you know, like slight sci fi leanings, but like mostly yeah, and I don't remember anything about them. I don't remember the characters. I remember The Rock was in one of them. Don't remember anything about that other than that he was. But this, I like is coming from a real fan, like you said of the of the text, and a guy with a very distinct interesting voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that that's what makes me excited about this, that this could at least be interesting. Whether or not, you know, the audience is there for it, I don't know, but I like Masters of the Universe. I suppose where I'm sitting, it doesn't matter. I just hope it's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that McBride comes at it a' lah. Travis Knight m M. You know who was clearly he grew up with with Masters of Universe and he brought that to it, you know. And that's now I should say, actually the second jed Jo PHILM Jedjo Retaliation, that's the one at the Rock that's strict by John M.
Speaker 3: Cho Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, who you had opportunity to work with recently, and uh, I could tell he was a fan. Yeah, you know, unlike Stephen Summers. He did the first film, and I was like, Stephen, this is like a paycheck for Stephen Summers.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like Michael Bay doing Transformers. You know, it's like, well, he doesn't. He wants to make like military you know, a glorified military ad which happens to have transforming robots in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so then you stand down the wacky edges of what makes the property the property, But like, no, I want it to look like the thing. That's what I loved about Masters of the Universe. It got kind of goofy at the end. I was like, yes, right that it should be.
Speaker 2: Michael Bay's idea of goofy is like racist robots.
Speaker 3: It's crazy that you're not even joking.
Speaker 2: Nope, that's a real thing. Look it up, kids, that happened. Yes, that actually happened. So so anyway, I mean, I we're so far ahead of the starting gate as far as the g I Jode thing. I'm I'm curious. I'm I'm definitely more intrigued this morning than I was like a week ago. Yeah, but I yeah, to our point, you know, the window, if it's not closed, it's closing fast. But you know, maybe it's a good thing. You know, the movies need to change. Sure, yeah, change can be good. Yeah to every season, that's right, speaking of to every season. The lead character of our movie that we're about to talk about go experiences many seasons. Let's talk about it on the other side of this.
Speaker 3: And now we're pleased to bring you our features.
Speaker 2: And we are back. And you know what else is back? Brian? What's that? Zachy? Why it's the sacking of Troy?
Speaker 3: Do we just leave this party right?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: And by the way, I gotta say I felt very prepped for this after we had just done our Troy commentary because the story was fresh in my mind. It covers different you know, areas that are referenced in this movie, but we don't explicitly see so I don't know, people want to check out revisit Troy and want to listen to our commentary for that, I think they might get something out of it.
Speaker 2: It has been interesting over the last few weeks. Just I mean, I had the thought about us doing a Troy commentary like like six months ago, right when I knew that the audisty was coming. But it feels like a lot of other folks had the same idea of revisiting it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you were ahead of it, and I remember when you suggested it to me, I was like, I totally understand. This is a good idea, but I hadn't thought about that movie in twenty some years. So I was like, well, yeah, I guess, I guess that makes sense. That was the feeling that I had, like, I guess this makes sense. And then when I watched it, I enjoyed revisiting it, and I do think it was a great conversation. But yes, now I'm seeing it pop up everywhere and like honest trailers and all these other sorts of things. So you were ahead of it weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm I'm glad we revisited it, and I'm I'm glad that we were able to point out where Troy the film is stick to the original story and where it veers, because I think, at least for me, that was a good refresher and it prepped me for what we see in the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and during the commentary, you are way better versed in this story than I am, and so you were pointing out, well, Troy sort of tweaks this so this person has this feeling about this, but that's not exactly what happens in the original story. And I was thankful to have that context in my mind when I was watching The Odyssey, because some people behave in ways that I was like, Oh, well, that's a little different than they look on it in Troy, but makes sense because of what you explained.
Speaker 2: Well, the Odyssey is in theaters, yes, and I.
Speaker 3: Have to ask before we get into it. I'm curious what format you saw it in. And I'm also curious if you saw the Dune three preview.
Speaker 2: Well, so I saw it at the big Imax in downtown San Francisco, the one you and I have been to. We watched a dial of Destiny there. Yeah, and the promise was that we would be watching the seventy milimeter print, but unfortunately the morning of we got an email saying, hey, we're having issues with the projector Oh no, so we're going to show the digital copy.
Speaker 3: Okay, but still on the enormous true Imax screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I did miss out on seventy, but I hope I'll get the change. I mean, now that joint is just like booked up from now until until you know, several years from now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because tickets went on sale literally a year ago, July fifteenth, twenty twenty five. So that's what's crazy to be the people who are at the first showings yesterday, but their tickets a year in advance, so that was not dedication. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I didn't get the seventy milimeter experience. I did get the massive Imax experience, which I'm glad for. There was no Dune promo in front of it, however, Oh.
Speaker 3: That must have been attached then I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Too that, yeah, because because Dune is Warner Brothers, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or I'm just thinking, even like they didn't have it on a DCP or something like that must be attached to the actual reels of the film.
Speaker 2: Then, gotcha, gotcha?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah. I saw it at the Chinese theater and it was seventy millimeters Imax, which I didn't know. So that was pretty amazing and overwhelming. And it did I will say this, then it did have the Dune preview, and I was like, holy crap, dude, I was not prepared honestly. I mean, the past two movies have continued to show us really amazing, colossal you know vision. This was like, and this is no slight against Denny and his vision, because this is his vision. It's amazing. But I was like, this looks like if Christopher Nolan did Star Wars. Really it's epic, epic, and it's funny because I was the my buddy who's like, I know, I like, I've enjoyed Doom, but I don't really care about it that much. I'm not sure I'm really looking forward to three. As soon as it was over, he leaned over and he went, I'm in. So it's a battle scene and it is epic.
Speaker 2: I'm in. Well, I mean I'm already on board obviously, but now now I'm even more on board. I've moved further on board. I was on an aisle seat, now I'm now I'm in the middle.
Speaker 3: You're in the middle, sparely in the middle, tied up to the mast or whatever.
Speaker 2: That's right, yep, So real quick, before we get into our discussion about thought, we're recording this the Friday morning after. It's a preview night and it's already on pace. For let's see the biggest Thursday previews of twenty twenty six, seventeen point six million dollars. That's just in previews. So this is going to end up doing very well. I don't think it's going to be front loaded, so I would not be surprised at all if we see one hundred million dollars plus opening weekend. That seems that seems like we're well on our way to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean I had reserved seats, so I'm used to just being able to walk in and go right where I had sat. But there was a line outside the theater that went all the way down the block just to wait to get in.
Speaker 2: I mean there when I went to the press screening, there was a there was a line for the press screening.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then when I got out, it was about ten at night, there was another line. And then I saw on Instagram on the Chinese Theater's page, they had a video of the line waiting for the one fifty am screening.
Speaker 2: Good lord. Yeah, that's that's too rich for my blood right there.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, that's dedication.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that. So okay, well, well I will I will say that. You know, normally, you and I you know, and people listen to the show. Note like we don't talk about our our responses after we watch it. Occasionally I make an exception, and I've done that twice. Now. Three years ago, after I watched Oppenheimer, I pulled up my phone and I texted you F and Christopher Nolan yep. And then now three years later, I walk out of the Odyssey and I just text you F and Christopher Nolan yep. It has become my now traditional post Nolan movie text. Yes, so you knew you already knew that that I loved it. See you better have loved it? What'd you think?
Speaker 3: Well, now I'm happy to know where that TSG Entertainment vanity logo card comes from. You know what I'm talking about with the guy, yes, shooting the arrow through the ACEIs. I always was like, huh, I wonder what that is.
Speaker 2: I want to say, actually, before we even get into it, there something oddly soothing about the sound when Odysseus shoots an arrow. I was like, I think that's my new ASMR is shooting era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this this is why there are movie theaters. This is a colossal spectacle that it's it's it's almost overwhelming, honestly, and nobody is doing this but Nolan and I don't know if anyone else can. I don't given the resources, the resources he is afforded, of course, but also just the scope, Like nobody is making movies of this scope like Nolan, and he is successful at it. So this is an experience, right, like it was. You're watching these ships and I'm sure there's trickery and things at play, but like he is so committed to doing as much as possible in camera. Yeah, and I'm certain this movie. See that's the thing like with Tom Cruise and him saying he does his own stunts, I'm sure he does a lot more stunts than many actors do. But like, I'm sure there are a lot of stunt people who are doing things in here we're not aware of that are like, hmmm, a little grumbly, that's right. I'm sure there are a lot of visual effects in this movie, so I don't want to say like, yeah, no visual effects, way to go, Nolan. I'm sure there are tons, but you don't notice them. And what he does is the thing why we always go back to Jurassic Park saying why is this movie from nineteen ninety three with these computer effects look better than movies now? And it's because of the perfect employment yea, you know, the judicious employment of this we need a computer, this I think will look and land better if we try it practically, and the perfect marriage of those two things. And that's what I think he is continuing to do. And that's why I didn't Everything looked real to me in this movie as crazy as a cyclops. Somehow looked real to me in this movie. And yes, I mean this is why we go to the theater. I recommend go check this out. I do want to say specifically for myself, and I said this when it was announced that they were going to do this movie. I'm not a big Greek mythology person, and even as a kid when they taught us these stories in school, I just kind of didn't connect with them. And I'll admit there was a point in the middle of this movie where we are going through sort of these episodes, and some episodes I connected with a little bit more than others, and I was a little like, oh no, like I'm admiring the grandeur of all this and the accomplishment of all this.
Speaker 2: But you're talking about the middle portion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of the Odyssey, the.
Speaker 2: God damn it, stay on the boat.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, So I did have this feeling like, oh, okay, like I again, scope incredible, but like, am I connecting with this? But this is a three hour movie? Like stick with it, you know what I mean? And I still don't know that I'm like going to go off now and read all these stories and feel differently about them. But what I do think is that Nolan found a way to really make me connect with the humanity in these fantastical tales and then it all comes together in the end to something that just feels human and exhilarating and emotional. And my theater was cheering over and over and I don't clap a lot in theaters, and I think I spontaneously clapped like two or three times just because it was like, oh, I was so swept up in it. I just had to let my body, had to let up that release. So, yes, this is something I can't wait to watch again because it's a lot of movie. It's overwhelming. Yeah, but yeah, that was my journey with it, like halfway through, like, yeah, these are tales that sometimes I connect with and sometimes I don't, but then when it all came together at the end, and looking at it as a whole. Like, I mean, this is a huge achievement. I really enjoyed it and I can't wait to watch it again.
Speaker 2: It may well be a career best performance by Matt Damon totally. I mean it's you know, and that's saying something because my man doesn't miss he's he is consistently good.
Speaker 3: And you think about it. In Interstellar, he plays the heel yeah, like one of the like a person you just want to punch so bad, you know what I mean? And then here, you know, it's just amazing. Yeah, like he he when you look at him, some actors disappear and I don't know that Damon always disappears, but he always does become that person. Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean when you say that, the same guy who played Odysseus plays you know, Sonny in Air. Yeah, you know that's reflective of his range.
Speaker 3: That's well, that's a good point, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And what I like about this character too is you know, I'm sort of conditioned watching a lot of American movies to have an idea of what a hero looks like, what American movies tell me a hero is like, and then occasionally he'll do stuff in this movie where I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and it took me a second thing to be like, oh, he's not like some stoic, perfect hero. He you know, there's in some translations I think he's introduced as a complicated man. Yeah, and he is. He does some things where you're like, dude, no, what yea? But I like that, and I once I got used to that and settled into he's not going to be that Matt Damon. Yes, you know, you know, follow that man anywhere. It's like, no, sometimes he does things I don't agree with and I don't sometimes you don't like them apples, yes, yes, I like that. It's it's makes it a complex story, you.
Speaker 2: Know, before we get into the details. Speaking of Matt Damon, I read an interview with him last week where he was talking about his just getting in shape for the role, and he's like, you know, a lot of times I'll be like, oh, what is my like when are you going to shoot like my shirtless scene? And then he just prepares for that. But he's like, for this one, I just wanted to be more steady. I wanted to have more of a normal physique and have it be something achievable for me at my age. I'm like, Okay, rock on and then we see him with his shirt off, I know, and I'm like, you son of a pitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's that's steady for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is that's just mean. Yeah, that's not right Ryan.
Speaker 3: But it's funny because I mean you think about, yeah, these people rowing boats and you know they would be really fit, yeah, right, like just by necessity really or just the life that they're leading. And I thought, yeah, that came across.
Speaker 2: So a couple of points we're talking, We're talking about Nolan and sort of what you said as far as like he's like the only guy who can make movies like this. Certainly at this point this is his moment. And you know, when we were discussing Troy, you know, we were talking about the irony of the fact that he was attached to do that movie and then just the wheel of fate was spinning in a different direction. He gets moved off of that, he does Batman and then you know, away he goes. But he never lost the itch to do something in the in the Homeric tradition, right, And what you realize is, well, he couldn't have made this movie in two thousand and four.
Speaker 3: Oh, totally like that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like Fate had other plans for him. Mm hmmm. He is Odysseus, that's right. Yeah, this, I mean thematically, what you realize is is the same way Spielberg has the pining for the father, uh you know, thematic terrain. I think what you realize at Nolan he has the pining for the children or child thematic terrain.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well that's interesting, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, very similar, right, and and it's it was very gratifying to me watching this because I I I've always enjoyed the story of the Odyssey. You know, I remember I was in I was telling my son that my son is he's my second one. He's he's he's like a huge Nolan pant. So it's like, oh, we're gonna go catch the early one. And he's like, and he just he spent the last month like listening to the audio book of the Odyssey, the Emily Wilson translation, which is what this one is based on. And I didn't, I mean, I haven't read it since high school. But I was telling him, He's like, did you read it when you were younger? I was like, well even before high school. I you know, we were studying the Odyssey in fourth grade and we watched a film strip series. Yeah remember film strips?
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Like a portion of our audience is like, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's your Why do you want to explain it?
Speaker 2: Oh it's I mean I'm trying. It's like you have a strip of film and it's it's like in time with like an audio tape, and you would like listen to the audio and then you would have you know, slides. Basically, it's like a slide show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, right right.
Speaker 2: And so it was like the whole Odyssey and we spent you know, maybe a week going over it, you know, and I just I remember being so like pulled in to the emotion of it and everything else that it. Watching this movie it took me back to that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's great, you know.
Speaker 2: And again it's like I don't I don't remember the the intricate details of the story, but you know the episodes, you know, the the Cyclops and and Circe and you know Calypso et cetera. You know, the return to Ithaca. So you know, it hit all those bases but more importantly for me it it does the work to make to make the film culminate in an emotionally satisfying way.
Speaker 3: Oh man, yeah.
Speaker 2: It ended, and without spoiling it, it ended, and I was like, yes, yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. There were so many times where I thought the movie could end here, like would be really satisfying if things were handled right now, and it keeps going, and I I was like, well, I guess that's just how the story goes, but I wonder if there's a way, like you could sort of synch this up, and it might, you know, you could, you could end this right now if you wanted. But I was completely wrong. The way that it is is executed is just so satisfying, and I love that it felt very Sometimes you watch movies like this and they feel a little like statues walking around and interacting with one another, but all the characters here felt very human, you know, Penelope's experience and even ultimately what we learn is Odysseus's experience and why he feels the way he does. I connected with it very much and loved that it was kind of a there are you know, seemingly gods and bigger things interacting with this story, but it really is about the things happening inside of everyone that this is really about. And I thought that was executed really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I you know, in our conversation about Troy, first of all, I should say I was surprised how much this film echoes Troy in what way? Well, specifically in terms of the fall of Troy. Yeah, oh yes, yes, you know, thematically and I would say visually very similar in terms of how they're depicted. But what both films did in different ways is they put the gods at arm's length. Yes, And you know that was something we talked about with with Troy, where Peterson was like, well, you know, we don't. We want to make it like the people are making the decisions, you know, as opposed to Lawrence Olivier in a toga. You know. And I remember thinking before I saw The Odyssey, I was like, well, the Odyssey is I mean, it is a fantasy story, so you know, you can't pretend it's history, right, And that is true. Nolan did approach it that way, but even still, he found an interesting way of weaving in the gods that to me is very much in line with with Peterson's approach. To Troy. Mm hmmm, where And I don't think this is a spoiler, but you know, there's there's enough vaguary about the gods as they are present in this film, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: No, totally. I mean there are like there are shots with you know, Zendea as Athena, and Odysseus is seemingly interacting with her, but then they'll do another angle and you'll see he's by himself, So it could be something internal.
Speaker 2: Is it just is he just imagining something?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Right? But I found all this stuff very moving.
Speaker 2: No, I I agree, because because what it's doing is it's it's by virtue of framing the Athena character that way, it's actually giving some greater insight into into Odysseus's character and that you know, we see that play out and by the time the movie ends. You know, I like the ambiguity, and obviously that's a that's a place that that Nolan enjoys being. But I think what it ultimately allows is that you have this very expansive, fantastical story, but it's it's situated and concentrated within one person's trauma.
Speaker 3: M right.
Speaker 2: So it's three hours of going through o diseas's ptsd M and that that's not meant to be a deterrent. That's to me, that's fascinating.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that's the good stuff. Honestly. I mean it feels meaty and and human, you know, for for such a fantastical and potentially dusty tail.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and I will say, going in, you know, from the trailers, I was like, oh, is the Ithaca stuff really gonna work for me?
Speaker 3: The Suitors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Suitors and just sort of you know, you know, Penelope waiting and Telemachus pining and you know, uh, but I loved all that stuff. That was so like, I feel like, and I was on board for all of the various episodes, which we'll talk about more in spoilers, But to me, I think the last third was the most interesting part of the movie for me. See, do we want to get into spoilers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I let's do it.
Speaker 2: Spoiler spoil away merrill.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There was a moment where, you know, the men are stranded on a beach, these soldiers, and I was like, wow, Nolan really does love soldiers stranded on a beach.
Speaker 2: That Dunkirk shades of Dunkirk can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I guess this isn't spoiler stuff, but I also wanted to comment on the score. You know, Nolan does this thing where sometimes his movies can feel like expansive montages, you know what I mean, Like there's a real sort of we don't need to sit in this scene. We're just going to show you enough of what's important here then go to something else. And there's score that isn't changing for each moment. It's just droning and pounding and pulling you through all these moments collected together, so it feels sort of montage like, right, and this one didn't do that as much, but there are definitely that that characteristic of his is present here and it really works to amazing effect. I mean, just the ending where everything like the screws are tightening and the scores you just feel your body like getting dease and you're waiting for that release and it's just it works so beautifully. Well spoiler if I'll say, going back to yes, the gods aspect is up for interpretation, but there are fantastical things happening in this movie that's right, right, And one of the things that I loved, which is just the perfect way for Nolan to interpret this, but it's still fantastical, is hades?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I loved it. It was such a brilliant Instead of having him go through some sort of cave and there's like flames and a river and you know, like whatever, just these sort of shadowy people slowly emerging from this like soil. I just I thought that was executed so well. And that the dead can't speak unless they put the blood little you know, the blood in their mouths and that's what gives them the ability to speak. Maybe that's from the story. I don't know, but I just it was just the right amount of Maybe that's it. Some fantasy just gets a little too away from my fingertips for me to buy into it, right, So Nolan is the perfect guy to bring this story to me where I can wrap my arms around it. But it is still fantastical, right, And it just really hit a sweet spot for me, and that that scene I think is the perfect example of that. I don't know what about for you.
Speaker 2: Well, it is funny that that Nolan sort of gets pegged as like the realism guy right when you look at like he made Interstellar, he made Inception. You know, these these are hard sci fi, hard fantasy stories, right, And so it's I think it's just sort of like a general aesthetic that he embodies that people sort of be like, oh, realism. It's like, yeah, but he makes he makes fantasy films.
Speaker 3: You know. That's a key word that you just said, aesthetic. Yeah, he says realism aesthetic for like you said, hard sci fi concepts.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and and and yeah to your point, right, it's I mean you look at like the Odyssey, right, and you can you can imagine the sort of Lord of the Rings esque version, and Nolan goes in a different way. And I think the project ends up richer as a result, because it's more reflective of his sensibilities.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it stands apart and and kind of what we're alluding to, I think the fantasy elements all are in service of the journey of the character. Right. And this is where I think it differs tonally from the original story in that in that the original story is sort of vignette, you know, whereas here we're much we're foregrounding. Ah, we already know kind of where Odysseus ends up, because we're doing the usual you know, Nolan jumping around thing, and so I think that frames the story in a way. Where as as as we're jumping around in time, we have the ballast of like we know where you know what the present is m hm, where he's on the island with Calypso I think that helps, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Yeah, I saw I haven't read a lot of other people's takes on this, but I did see someone say, Okay, well, the time jumping stuff worked, but maybe it's time for him to retire that. And I was like, he can retire it, well, you know, yeah, that's how he cut off his hand, you know. I agreed, I mean, yeah, but I was like, well, as long as it's working, why, Yeah, Like I didn't. I didn't find it to be a gimmick. I found it very effective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that Nolan doesn't think linearly. I think that's reflected in the stories he tells. H right, going from Memento to now every one of these well, I mean not so much the Dark Knight sequels, but even Batman begins jumps back and forth in time. I think that's just how he views stories. Yeah, you know, And and so in a way, by by by eschewing linearity, he's able to have the various portions of the story pay off each other in a much more meaningful way. I don't just as Oppenheimer ended exactly where it needed to in the way it needed to. I feel the same way about about this. And by the way, Oppenheimer and The Odyssey are like are it's it's it's like a it's a hell of a double feature because because they're both telling kind of the same story.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, remarkable, Like what a weird sentence to say, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know, yeah, a man's tortured soul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sort of reckoning with the aftermath of what he instigated, you know.
Speaker 3: Which I like because, again not being super familiar with this story, when the Trojan horse is dragged in, you know, through the walls, it's funny because that was amazing too. I mean, the very similitude and whatever you want, realism, whatever you want to say about Nolan just making it look like, yeah, you need like a hundred hundreds of dudes and rope.
Speaker 2: And before you proceed, I just want to say one thing. Watching the movie, you see the half buried horse and just instinctually, I know, you know, where this is headed. I'm like, huh, looks like Planet of the Apes. Yeah, just just a fleeting thought. And then you send me a clip from an interview. I did not convey that thought that you send me a clip from interview. He's like, yeah, I was thinking a kind of like Planet of the Apes. I'm like, son of a bitch, you did it, crazy, so bit you did it? Sorry, go on.
Speaker 3: Oh the second I saw it, I was like, zechy, just send it to you. And that was an idea he had since the early two thousands. Yeah, when he was helping Troy, which is kind of cool. It makes sense. He was like, wow, that's something and it just never left his mind. But yeah, I love seeing you know, you watch movies and you can imagine. It's like, yeah, we get thirty guys and they push the horse through the walls and it's like, no, that would be really hard. There's like a lot of human beings inside that thing, Like this thing is going to be heavy. And I thought they conveyed really well, just no, this is like a real task getting this thing inside. But as I was watching it, that sequence and the men leaving the horse and sneaking through Troy as it sleeps. I was like, man, this is brilliant, wow clever, Like I was sort of taken with it, like wow, what a great idea. But I like then you see them sack Troy and it's horrifying. Yeah, it's awful, like assaulting women and just pillaging and murdering and whatever. And so I was a little surprised, like, oh, this reminds me of Troy. It's not shown as this like accomplishment. And then that winds up being what the movie is about. That is Odysseus when he's reckoning with things at the end, why he resisted going home for so long? It's like, am I the man who left this place? Like who am I?
Speaker 2: Do?
Speaker 3: I even like who I am? Anymore? Should I come home? Like I just found that so rich and understandable relatable in this fantastic tale, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for Odysseus having come up with the idea of the horses the equivalent of Oppenheimer, yes, detonating the bomb, you know, like perfect. And that's the way the movies frame it, like this is like history. There is before and there is after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's about the spiritual toll that he's carrying.
Speaker 2: That's right. You know, it is interesting. You know, the the Cyclops is first of all, freaking freaking scary looking amazing, right, Like I mean, it's like you go into the movie you kind of have a sense of what a cyclops is going to look like, yes, and they're like, no, we're gonna We're gonna give you some nightmares, you know what.
Speaker 3: I liked too having the eye sideways yep. I was like, huh, that's interesting. But then you notice that the nose is a little off. It's like, no, yeah, this guy's face is just kind of messed up, and that explains why he has one eye, you know, like there he had to think through, like well, why why is this way?
Speaker 2: That's right?
Speaker 3: And it works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and that's again, you know, in in the original story, that's very much you know, the the Cyclops is under the protection of Poseidon, and so Odysseus is and his men offend Poseidon and that's what causes this, and they they do certainly leave that in, but again it's like, well, is this just their beliefs and they're reading into it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: By the way, as horrifying as that monster was, I felt really bad for it. Oh yeah, Like when he I mean, you know, because he eats a couple soldiers sort of like the Rand Corps and Gmorian Guard or whatever. We get that moment. But yeah, when they poke it in the eye and he's he's yelping, I was like, oh, this poor guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's and I'm sure that's by design. That was Bill Irwin, by the way, as the Cyclops.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that later.
Speaker 2: Right, he's tars I think, right, and an interstellar.
Speaker 3: But the blend, sorry, just before we move on from that, the blend of having a real cuman so I don't know what it is. Usually in the past it'd be rear projection or something. But the way that they blended the soldiers looking a size we understand, and then having a real human being playing the Cyclops and having them meld together, it looked believable.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well the same with the giants that they encounter on the other island. Yeah, I mean you're sort of you're looking for the seams a little bit, you know.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: So I had my friend Sawud who listens to the show, so I'm going to shout out. He was like, you know, is it gonna be scary for kids? And I said, well, you know, the Cyclops might be borderline, but I feel like Circe, the whole Surce scene, that's gonna be like generational trauma for a lot of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you think of a movie like The Witches or something that was like PG in nineteen ninety or whatever like it. To me, it feels like that level of scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's I'm as a grown up. I was like, eh, right, but I'm like, if you're a little kid, oh yeah, as you're watching Samantha Morton just like do like silly putty to people and turning him into pigs and suff.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I don't mean to undermine it. I mean, I just I just it reminds me of some of the horrifying things that people thought were okay to show it.
Speaker 2: If you see it at the right slash wrong age, depending how you look at it, Yes, that's gonna stay with you.
Speaker 3: And you're right, there will be memes in twenty years talking about this. Was the like when we talk about the horse dying and never ending story and you know, those sorts of things for our generation. You're right, I think another generation this will be their trauma.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's incredible, by the way, Samantha Morton was great. Yeah, so like something's wrong with her, you know, and then it's just slowly reveals herself. And but she never turns into a cackling witch or anything. You know. She she feels like very specific.
Speaker 2: Well, I I think that's what makes it work, right, like like her whole you know, where she's like, you know, a bunch of armed people show up and how am I supposed to react? And you hear say that, You're like that's fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they are the I don't remember what the wording is, but they are the bad people on the sea people, the sea people. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one thing I will say so, So I liked him Esh Patel as as Odysseus's you know, executive officer totally, I thought, I thought. But I think the problem is that other than him, the rest of the crew was kind of just a big mob.
Speaker 3: That's a good point because I was thinking that he as the right hand man, sort of feels like us sometimes like what are you doing? You'll stop? So I really related to him. But that's a good point. Yeah, the others just feel sort of like a crowd.
Speaker 2: I think if there is a critique and it's a minor one, I would have liked a little bit more of a sense of who these people are, so that as their numbers start to dwindle, we feel that a little bit more like we feel it in the sense of like, well, I would not want to have my head bitten off by a cyclops. Therefore, I know, but we don't. I mean, they all kind of look the same too when they're were in the armor and stuff, you know, right right. I wonder if there was a way to lick that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe give one or two or three more people distinct personalities, or cast them with recognizable faces. Yeah, different voices of reason. You know, this guy's the hot head, this guy is the nervous one, this is yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh. I also wanted to mention I loved how they executed the sirens sequence. Yeah, oh, he's same, brilliant where you know this is like, you know, put put wax in the cruise ears so that they don't hear it, and then you know when jimeshputelity puts he puts the wax in his ears, we shift to his point of view. Yes, brilliant, So we never hear the Sirens song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because what could you possibly pit?
Speaker 2: Exactly so, and we just see Odysseus just going out of his mind. Brilliant.
Speaker 3: But I also loved my theater laughed a little bit. I think with the movie where he's like, time me up, I want to hear it. Yeah, like bro, he's like kind of giddy about it. But then I did love that we couldn't hear it, but we're watching the reaction on his face, like this is the worst possible thing you could hear, Like you think, these beautiful women singing this song, it may be difficult to resist, but yeah, I want to I want to hear it too. I'm kind of what could that possibly be? But seeing that it ends up being sort of a nightmare for him to hear, yeah, is really cool to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh uh, we have. We talked right past Tom Holland and and all the all the ethic stuff. I mean, we'll talk about more about the final sequence. But I wanted to mention John Legzamo is awesome in this so good, like just just essential, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like immediately has this persona or something where you're like, Okay, I'm with this guy.
Speaker 2: M H yeah, yes, right, and they do the thing where the faithful dog is waiting for his master to come home.
Speaker 3: Which I knew because of you, because of the Troy commentary. Yes, which, dude, if you could have heard my theater just when the tail wagged, actually we can, I ask real quickly, because you were in a theater full of critics. I mean, what was the energy like in the room.
Speaker 2: You know, the crowd was island throughout the movie, and then the credits come up and it was just the whole room you know, went into applause. It was a great experience. I mean they were enraptured, you know that. It was very It was funny because it was very similar to when I watched Interstellar recently, you know, about a year or so ago, where nobody wanted to get up to go to the bathroom. You know, with Interstellar, I SAIDs before where I remember after the water planet and McConaughey watches the video from his kids and he's crying. You know, after that scene, people started getting up to go to the bathroom. It was like, it's understanding, like, you know, we need to see that scene. Yeah, yeah, you know this one. It was I mean, it's a long movie. So I I admired the the you know, the the the fortitude of people's bowels outed yours.
Speaker 3: I prepared my body, I have to say.
Speaker 2: I so I'm I I got a slurpee, which in hindsight was a miscalculation because because but by the time they were going down the whirlpool, I was I was nearing.
Speaker 3: Myself as concerned.
Speaker 2: No, but but the crowd was totally that was totally into it. And that's I mean really like, I think the movie does the work of establishing the various stakes right smartly, cutting back and forth between Ithaca and Odysseus, so that by the time Odysseus returns, we're fully invested in what's going to happen and we don't know what's going to happen. I think that's also helpful. You know, I thought Tom Holland was was you know, did the work he you know, I think we feel we feel invested in him.
Speaker 3: I agree. I mean he's I know, he's getting older, but like he still does have a boyish quality to him.
Speaker 2: He's got a couple of years he left of boyishness before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which works perfectly. You know, Like I him as someone you know who's misses his dad or we can't even miss him. He's never met him, but like he yearns for his dad, he wants to come into his own but he also feels like he could be bullied slightly by certain people. And I love that sequence when that guy when everything's going down at the end and the guy is up in the upper room dropping the weapons, and Tom Holland is the perfect person to feel like, I want him to take this guy on. I hope he can do it. And you know what I'm saying as opposed to someone who's going up there and you're like, oh, he'll do it, you know. And I don't mean that in a negative way, Like I just think that's a great characterization, Like let's watch him prove that he can do it.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny is is just the night before I watched The Odyssey, I was watching a Spider Man Homecoming and you know, Logan Marshall Green is in that Logan Marshall Green, who is he? Like the actor in general? Yeahert so he he's well in the Odyssey. He's the guy that that that Tom Holland fights.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm looking him up now.
Speaker 2: But he's in Marshall's. You know, he's the guy, he's Casey's like friend and boss.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, you know what I'm talking about it Yeah, no, yeah, I'm looking him up now and I see him.
Speaker 2: So he he he has like a small role in Spider Man home Coming, and I'm like, you know, this guy he gives off like uh he you know, like stand in John Burnenthal energy. Yeah, totally, especially in Marshall's very much. So yeah, so it was funny seeing him in this. I was like, hey, it's standing John Berthall and then we're gonna see actual John Burthall in a little bit. Anyway. That's just a random thought. But speaking of John berenthal So, so he plays Menilaus a very different Menilais than Brendan Gleeson in tro Yes. Yes, And and this gets to what I said during in our Troy commentary. I was like, the in the story Menilais is a little more sympathetic, a little more complicated, And I think this movie handles that pretty well. Like I don't think you come off being like, oh, he's a good guy, but you are like, well, I don't know if he's a bad guy necessarily either you know, yeah, and I think burnhal conveys that. I thought the way they depict everything that happened to Agamemnon, I thought that was great, Yes, right, because I think I did talk about that in our commentary. And then of course Helen Helen of Troy, Well, what kind of woke nonsense is this? Jeez, here's what I love. Here's what I love. For the last six months or whatever it's been, you've got these these just I'm gonna say, rage grifters.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a that's a good term.
Speaker 2: Who've been monetizing? Uh, just just hate you know, yeah? Oh no, Helen of Troy is black. Oh no, there's you know, Elliott Page's in this So what are they doing in here? You know?
Speaker 3: And then and right down to even just like the armor doesn't look good? Yeah, like just what are you just knives out for this thing? For unknown reasons? Monetization?
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, that's that's exactly what it is, right, And you know, when it comes to Elliott Page, like, oh, Elliot Page is playing Achilles. Page is not playing Achilles, right, And and once that became very clear, that talking point shifted to, well, you know, in the story. When Odysseus you know, descends to Hades, he encounters the shade of Achilles, who tells him, you know, I was fighting for glory and there's no glory. There was no point to any of it. And so in this they have syn on the Ellip Page character. This is this is Hollywood. This is their their woke agenda. See they're they're swapping in Elliott Page for Achilles, right right. And I'm like, you know, I just want you people, you fing losers, to die angry, just just here streaming down your face, angry dying.
Speaker 3: That's it's so funny because I was feeling like, let it go, not me, open your heart, like your world for some reason is this like grim black and white, like let the color in now.
Speaker 2: But see, this is this is what their algorithms. This is how their algorithms have microwaved their brains.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know what, there's no fixing that, you know something for some maybe, But I really would like to believe that some people can have their hearts opened. I do.
Speaker 2: I respect that, Brian.
Speaker 3: I hope that's my hope. That's my hope.
Speaker 2: But all of that is to say I wanted to mention this sin On in the in the underworld scene, and and why that matters, Why it matters that it is that character and not Achilles, who has no bearing on any of the story. It wouldn't it wouldn't mean anything if Odysseus meets Achilles, who cares, right, right? We need this character because we see the backstory when you know, twenty years ago when Odysseus went for war, I mean all of it. It matters. It's meaningful and what that character represents for Odysseus. This character died because of his lie. That matters. That matters in this story that we're watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I love that whole sequence. And then seeing all the soldiers, Oh my gosh, you know, I mean, I love me a good ghost army. I've talked about this, you know, bed knobs and broomsticks. I've always been fascinated by the ghost army and the return of the King. Yeah, it's just something cool and scary and intriguing and delicious about a ghost army. And so then when yeah, he has to literally see the shades of all his fallen men, and then they chase him and he's like back.
Speaker 2: To the boat. Now here's a question Yeah, Benny Safty Blaze an Agamemnon. Why don't they show his face?
Speaker 3: I yeah, I didn't even know that by the way that he was playing him, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was like trying to place the voice. And then we see from the back when they take the helmet off and he sees curly hair. I was like, oh, that's Benny's safety.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: You know, but I was wondering about that, you know, I and I'm sure there is an artistic reason, but I was just wondering about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say, yeah, I mean, obviously it's a decision and he wants us to feel a certain way, but I'm not. I mean maybe because he takes his orders from him.
Speaker 2: Right, So so I you know, possibly by by making Agamemnon like a faceless presence, it puts the onus more on Odysseus. Yeah right, you know that this is a thing he did. You can't pawn it off on Well. I did it because that guy, you know, the king, ordered me to that type of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that makes sense, you know, you know, real quick before we get to the ending. Yeah, and the suitors, I know you want to talk about that. I do want to say, uh, before I forget going back to Zendia and the Athena thing and it possibly it could be in his head or whatever. I was so struck by that moment during the sacking of Troy where she's in those soldiers' arms and they're gonna put the sword, you like, cut her head off, right, And I was like, wait, what I don't understand. And then when you see her statue get beheaded, I was like, brilliant, Yeah, brilliant and just whatever she is, whatever she means to Odysseus, right, that's what that is?
Speaker 2: That right exactly, because because that when we see her for real in Troy, what is that a real person who Odysseus witnessed being killed?
Speaker 3: H Well, and because they say you don't know when you entertained strangers who could be a god and who isn't? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think all that worked. Actually, And while we're talking about the gods, I wanted to mention Calypso because we haven't really talked to about Charlie's Thearren. I think my only complaint is I would have liked more of her and just have a greater sense of her connection to Odysseus and and why she has kept him there you know she, I mean we mentioned that she fell in love with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want to know how I can sign up for a situation like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, seven years on an island with Charlie's theren. Don't threaten me with a good time, right.
Speaker 3: No, I'm with you. I'm with you. It's you sort of have to process it yourself a little bit. The movie doesn't sort of you know, it's just very matter of fact, and we're already caught up in what's happened, like it's just being told to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, basically, if you of construct the timeline, we have the we have the sacking of Troy Odysseus leaves, he has one shitty year, it's just the worst year any person can have, and then he has seven years on an island of Charlie's there, right, which he viewed as as torture. Okay, let's talk about the ending.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, yes, even her like she she's a very matter of fact in the way that she presents everything, and it would be interesting to see even her a little more I don't know, attracted to him or like in love with him. She says she's in love with him, but it doesn't I wasn't feeling that. Yeah, but yeah, so I understand what you're saying anyway, Yes, the ending, Yeah, we get well, we get to it's it's a it's Spider Man versus Batman. Yeah, that's right, with Jason Bourne looking on, Yeah. Yeah, and Catwoman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, all fighting for the for the attention of Catwoman.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I said in our Dark Knight Rises commentary track, we were this is four years ago and we were talking about Anne Hathaway in the film, and you know, we were complimenting her performance, and I was I was making a joke. I was like, oh, well, Anne Hathaway, she's like forty now, so there's no roles left for her in Hollywood except to play Tom Holland's mom in Something Right. And I was joking because I was commenting on how Hollywood treats women over.
Speaker 3: A certain age.
Speaker 2: I did not think Christopher Nolan would listen to our commentary track and be like, say, that's a good idea, but I buy both. I thought they were It's actually I think this is a fantastic performance by Aneathaway. She's really good in this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the emotions just feel so guttural and real and just what, you know, trying to keep herself composed by you know, anguishing her her missing husband and angry. Yeah, you know, like all of it. She's she's sad, she's angry, she's desperate. Uh it's yeah. I was like, oh, she's gonna get nominated.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh no, that's a coming. Yeah. Didn't you just want to see her smack around me a goth? Yes?
Speaker 3: Well I did love her moment where she's like you this pearl? Yeah right right if I did, Like, she's like, yeah, your place is down there and she shuts the little you do it. Yeah, that was great.
Speaker 2: Pattinson is a lot of fun to watch in this, and it was funny. I was I was feeling like bipolar because I just last week watched The Batman. Oh okay parts of The Batman, and I'm like, man, he's such a good Batman, And I'm like, man, he's able to bounce effortlessly between wildly different characters, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah him, And I was happy to see Corey Hawkins.
Speaker 2: Corey Hawkins also liked him. Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, the first time I saw him was when he played doctor dre and straight out of Compton, and I just thought he made such an impression and I haven't seen him a lot, and I liked the two of them just being these uchebags, you know, like he just so badly want to see them get their come.
Speaker 2: Up and you want their upons to happen. So yeah, well, I, like I said earlier, there's nothing like the sound of Odysseus just letting arrows fly. Yes, what was so the whole? The whole, I mean, this is the thing right where. I mean I know the story right broadly, so I know where it called many is, but I like how even still, I was like, what's going to happen? Right? And I think that's the real trick.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing, right, And that's what I was alluding to earlier, was when he Odysseus is dressed up like the beggar and he goes into the place and then you know the I think it was Pattinson like spits or maybe it was uh Korrey Hawkins spits into the bowl at krey Hocken, And so I was like ready for him to go all Schwartzenegger and like, oh yeah, and then like take the robe off and then just like pul out his lightsaber and just hack everybody down. You're like, that's what I was expecting and I wanted that, but right, and but then it just keeps going and going. I'm like, where are we going this? I know it's going somewhere and this is what the story is, but.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this is a total righteous vengeance situation.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh totally. But like I thought you could have had that big moment there, and maybe a modern story would have, but it is so much more satisfying where it. I mean, because it's not even just like then he gets this nice reunion with Penelope. It's like he gets to really spill his soul in a unique way to her before it's revealed, and her just finally just giving up, but setting up that unique, you know, challenge for the suitors to have to complete, and it's just so satisfying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, well, I think one of the great applause moments if I had been with a more applaud centric crowd, is when Corey Hawkin goes, you're Odysseus arrow.
Speaker 3: In the throat, dude, my theater erupted, erupted. Well, and then that moment too, where it's in the trailer and I was like, oh, yeah, that's a good moment where Odysseus is like, you know, I'm taking I'm coming back for all of it, or whatever he says. But in this screening, with all of the context and he's like I'm here for all of it, my theater just went yes because we knew something amazing was about to happen.
Speaker 2: He is just launching arrows left, right and center. Yeah, yeah, very It was very cathartic, and you know.
Speaker 3: He's obviously showing great skill, but it wasn't like you know, the Rock where he's just hits, he doesn't get scathed, and he is hitting everybody. There's challenge and he gets pummeled. And then I loved it was so satisfying when Tom Holland is up there and he takes that guy out and he drops the sword down through the hole, you know, and he's got arrows sticking out of his back and he's fighting everybody off. Oh amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean he looked like a pincushion at the end of it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I was also you know, at the climax with Pattinson, I was waiting for the usual thing where he's got his enemy dead to rights and he's like you're not worth it, you know, Oh yeah sure, And I'm like, no, no, this guy got to die.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, that was pretty sad.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I love too the but it wasn't just like some pithy line than a sword through the chest or something. He like actually gave a message when you go to hell, yeah, you know, like, yeah, tell my men, Yeah, then I will go into exile to honor them. Thank you soon, which is kind of colder and cooler in a way, like I'm going to dispatch you in a second, but you're going to do something for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, so speaking of of Odysseus going to exile, that's a change from the story, Oh tell me, because in the story he returns to Ithaca, he defeats the suitors, he claims his thrown the end, and I think Nolan found a more elegant way to end the story. I mean, I was like, because it for a second there it seems like he's going to die, right, And I was like, oh, okay, you know, and and I was like I'm not sure how I feel about that. And then you know, that that itself was a mistrect And then I'm like, you know, to quote Brian Chef's kiss, Yeah, it feels tonally and spiritually right to me. Yeah. Well, especially because by virtue of how how he chooses to wrap it up, we we end on Odysseus uh after uh Troy or in Troy to help us understand why he makes the decision he made right, He's not he has to pay a cost for what he did.
Speaker 3: Right. He wouldn't feel right just sitting back on a throne as king, right exactly. He's got to uh, you know, a tone a little bit.
Speaker 2: And and we've been on enough of a journey with Telemachus where we know this kid has earned it as well. He's earned the throne right, you know. And that's that's tricky, you know, because because I think the danger is like you don't spend enough time on on Telemachus or with Telemachus to to see that he himself is is just as worthy of admiration or following, you know, but they manage both. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I wonder if it'd be a circumstance like with Stephen King in the Mist where he saw the film ending was like, oh that was a good idea. Yeah, I actually liked that better. If Homer could see this and go, oh, very good, I see what you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it works, and I think, I mean it stays true to the broad strokes of what Homer did, you know, but it also a just based on the specific story that Nolan is telling, right, and much more about the lasting impact of trauma. It all worked for me, man, I'm and it. Honestly, it makes me really happy that there's gonna be a lot of people watching this movie because because I think it's you know, sometimes faith has to be rewarded.
Speaker 3: C.
Speaker 2: Montage from the end of Dark Knight, Right's right. You know, people people have been waiting for this and they're going to walk out satisfied. That makes me really happy.
Speaker 3: I think so too. I think I saw a short sort of summery you put on social media where you said this is going to be like Lord of the Rings. People are going to keep coming back to this, you know this, that's how this movie is going to live on, And I agree, I think so too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have a feeling.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's one thing that it's good, but it's also a great theatrical experience and if you have the ability, you know, the time and the everything. I highly recommend going out and seeing this because this was the first movie shot every frame was shot with an Imax camera, and I know not everyone can get to Imax screens. There's actually a limited amount in the world. But everything that is in the frame, you know, just the effort and the colossal just scope of this film is just something worth seeing as big and as loud as possible. Yeah, So that's just it. It's like a bonus to just being a good.
Speaker 2: Movie to totally agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice. Well, two big thumbs up for the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very nice.
Speaker 2: Well, well, everybody listening, let us know your thoughts on the Odissey and let us know your thoughts on our thoughts. You can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple podcast, leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps, And if you're listening to this show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and leave comments because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon page.
Speaker 3: Bran Yes if you head over to patreon dot com slash Moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely add free. And we also have bonus conversations that we drop over there about twice a month, and we just dropped two I think the first two weeks of July, and there we talk about full spoiler discussion of the movie Obsession. We talk about trailers and movie news, Supergirl box Office, Yeah, Supergirl box Office and that Obsession review is I mean, we really went into it was like a forty minute conversation. It was a lot of fun. So you can find that exclusively over on this feed. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no commercials, ads, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested enable, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe. We'd be very grateful.
Speaker 2: And if you're looking for me online. You can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner, That Zakis Corner. You can also find my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at the rap What About You Brian.
Speaker 3: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jeda Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachie Hasan. This has been movie film three forty seven. Thank you everybody for listening to take us out. Here is a clip from a couple of years back of Sam Neil, the late Great Sam Neil, telling us about what he dreams of, and I think it's something we can all dream of. Rest in peace, mister Neil. We will miss you very very much.
Speaker 5: Do I have a dream? I think I'd like a night where there's no dreams. I'd like a morning when I wake up and there's really nothing on the news, when everything just returns to dull.
Speaker 7: And there's nothing to report, and there's no pestilence and there's no war and there's no aggression, and people that just.
Speaker 5: Just leaving it alone and getting on with each other.
Speaker 7: Will might be nice the surface three foot high.
Speaker 5: Today, chickens are laying in central Ittago in New Zealand. The football will be played as usual on Saturday. Someone might win, but probably everyone will just have a draw. There's nothing happening. That's my dream.
Speaker 2: It's just
Speaker 5: Been nice.