Speaker 1: Day first one to one forecast in an air quality alert until midnight. We have a Heat Advisor starts at noon and lasts until eight pm.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Today is going to go up to ninety five, feeling like one hundred with the heat index isolated evening storms, muggy overnight seventy one for the low ninety eight with the heat index of one oh three tomorrow and a slight chance of showers and storms. Clouds of showers and storms possible over nineteen seventy two low and a mostly foty Saturday with likely showers eighty three. A bit of reprieve there from the intense heat at seventy five. Now time for chuck with traffic from the UC Health Tramphing Center.
Speaker 3: At the Usting Gardener Neuroscience Institute, you can access the leading brain, spine and nerve experts right here. In Cincinnati. Southbound seventy one continues to run over a twenty five minute delay from above Fields Eirdle until your pasts the lateral northbound fourth seventy one. You can add an extra ten into town. Northbound seventy five close into a fifteen minute delay out of Florin into the cut in southbound seventy five breaklights continue in and autam Ackman, Chuck King bram On fifty five KR and C meet talk station.
Speaker 1: Hey, thirty fifty five KERRCD talk station. And being Thursday, it's time for that meaning that discussion that all usually kind of funny and fun opportunity to close out a Thursday in a very positive note. Welcome back, my dear friend, Aurheart media aviation expert Jay Ratliff. Good to have you on.
Speaker 4: I'll try to keep it fun and light and happy and all those things.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk with start with one on on your list, and just to remind your buckle up when you're not when you're not going to the bathroom or otherwise have a reason to stand up on an airplane. See, there was a United Airlines flight they had to divert over to Memphis because turbulence caused some injuries on the flight from Cancun, Mexico to Chicago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they had one hundred and seventy two passengers on board, seven crew members can kun to Chicago. But when they encountered the severe turbulence and I'm told at the time the seat belt sign was illuminated. The turbulence was so severe that seven people had to be taken to the hospital once the plane landed an emergency landing in Houston, excuse me, in Memphis. But of course, you know, I'm sure most of those injuries were probably the flight attendants because there are always the last ones to be seated. They've got a lot of work to do as they kind of close out the cabin service or when they've got a you know, because if they're in the middle of something, serving drinks or what have you, and they've got the carts out and the captain says, hey, you know, we've got some turbulence coming or what have you. Yeah, Or if not, you know, they're still trying to put things together and things go flying. So anytime you encounter severe turbulence, we can't really determine it in advance, and that's really unfortunate. But it's the reason you and I talk about all the time about keeping your seatbelt fastened about you when you fly, because that will protect you in that kind of situation. Turbulence isn't dangerous by itself. There are times when the turbulence can be so severe that the crew can temporarily lose control of the aircraft.
Speaker 2: But normally when you're at.
Speaker 4: Altitude, they'll regain that control quickly and it's just a matter of you know, clear air and then you're okay, and crew to crew will will report areas of turbulence to air traffic control so they can try to wrap people around those affected areas. But yeah, we just don't know about it, which is why it comes on sudden. It's unexpected, it's frightening. It freaks people out. Food goes flying, and people alight go flying if they don't have their seabelts a past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's nothing like the end on a plane with a big turbaument for the plane just feels like it's dropped half a mile in a second. It's like, holy cow.
Speaker 4: Like the floor opened up and you fell through it. That's exactly it. Yep, with any luck, you've got a mouthful of.
Speaker 2: Food at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it results usually in people folding their hands in prayer after the whole thing is over with, because Lord knows. Is it now? Is this something that is becoming a more common phenomenon? I would think air conditions or air conditions, and you know, they has always been turbulence there always will be, Is it just because it's more widely reported that it seems like it's happening more and more or more people just not bothering the buckle or seat belts, which results in injuries.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, if you listen to our friends on the other side, they'll tell us that the climate change is bringing about all of these issues of turbulence. However, when facts are introduced to the conversation, you can go back and look at several reports of some very serious turbulent issues going all the way back to the global cooling.
Speaker 2: Crisis of the seventies.
Speaker 4: So you know, it's I would say that there are parts of the of the planet that we do have it's some increased turbulent reports, but I think a lot of that has to do with more flights in the air now than we've ever had, and because when you have more flights, there's more opportunities. And I think that when you factor that end, that pretty much explains why we have the increase. But in all these reports of climate change as the culprit, they failed to realize when you do a comparison the number of flights in the air now versus what we've.
Speaker 1: Had in the past, what in a stude observation. The global population has gotten billion, has risen by billions. More people have access to and can afford airline travel. Contrast that with the way it used to be back in the sixties when it was sort of that jet set elite kind of thing where everybody wore a suit and tied again on a plane. It was expensive and the amenities were much better and the food was much better. So it's opened up a whole lot of people to travel and more people are doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But you know, when you look at it, eighty percent of the world's population, they tell us, has never flown.
Speaker 1: How about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean look at the numbers, and you look at all the you know, the third world countries, and a lot of people that you know, they live where they're at, they don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a substantial number of billions right there.
Speaker 4: That number is probably eight or nine years old, but they significantly higher number than a lot of people realize.
Speaker 1: A fair enough let's pausible. Bringing back to talk about United Airlines flight attendants on strike, we have furious passengers to talk about, and of course we always end with a hub to lay. We'll find out if it's a good day to travel more with Jay Ratliff. After I mentioned Chimneycare, Fireplace and stove chimneycarec Dot comment's where you find them online. They do everything. It's it's time to do your safety check. Have them inspect your chimney. Flues need to be inspected, most notably wood burners. The gas stoves also can need repair and adjustments. You can have carbon monoxide issues. It's not the flow isn't working properly, the jets are clogged or damage, so they service gas as well. They service the pellets stove. Those are self feeding wood waste pellets. They sell both free standing and insert versions of those. They service them as well. So get the fireplace insert installed, get your free standing stove installed, Get the tuck pointing and cap and damper replacement taken care of. Get the chimney swept. May need to be religned. They do re lining every single thing you can think of it relates to chimneys, fireplaces, et cetera. They do it and they do a great job. That's why they enjoy a plus with the Better Business Bureau, locally owned and operated since nineteen eighty eight. Schedule the appointment and I really definitely encourage you to get your dryer event cleaned out. They do dryer event cleaning, and if you can't remember the last time your driy event's been cleaned out, I'm willing to bet you it's clogged. I mean, your drying time is up, takes long to dry your clothes, and you got a fire hazard. That's just one more thing they can do. So call them. The number is five one three two four eight ninety six hundred to them, Brian said, Hi, five one three two four eight ninety six hundred online Chimneycareco dot com, fifty five car the talk station men air quality alert till mid nine. Heat advisory starts ittting in and last until eight pm.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: We'll see a high of ninety five with a one hundred degree heat index. Isolated evening storms are possible. We're gonna get a few clouds over night, muggy in seventy one is what they're saying. Ninety eight with a heat index of one oh three tomorrow with a slight chance of showers and storms. Closely clouds over night seventy two love more showers and storms possible, and then they say they're likely showers on Saturday. It's got to be mostly fotty day. HI have eighty three though, that's better seventy six. Right now, it's time for traffic.
Speaker 3: From the UCLF Traffic Center at the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute, you can access the leading brains finding nerve experts right here in Cincinnati. Setbound seventy five is getting heavier out of Sharonville through the Lochland Split, close to a twenty minute delay. Sethbound seventy one getting better. It's closer to a ten minute delay now between Peiffer and the lateral northbound fourth seventy one. It's an extra five from Grand into town. Chuck Ingram on fifty five Kroc the talk station.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been in the cockpit before? Jay Rallivas, he's a heart media aviation expert going to the program every Thursday at eight third. We get a couple of segments with them at least, and that's what we're going to segment number two. I guess the United Airlines slight attendants have voted to go on strike.
Speaker 2: They have.
Speaker 4: In fact, it's been out twenty years or so since they've had to kind of go this route. But they're saying that they've been trying for a number of years to get a new contract, they've not seen any measurable progress. So the union representing the flight attendants took a vote to strike, and they came back with a ninety nine point nine percent whoa to do so if needed. So that shows the the unity that the union certainly wants to move forward with. And you know, we've seen a lot of flight attendant groups have taken this step voting to strike, but normally agreements are reached long before any strike takes place, and I suspect that's going to be the case here. So a worst case scenario thirty day cooling off period and then they could have the opportunity for a strike. Now I'm almost certain if they did, the Biden administration would step in immediately and say.
Speaker 2: Back to work. We're going to get this worked out.
Speaker 4: So on a worry meter of one to ten, I might be at a three and a half or four. I don't think it's going to be anything that if I had a future reservation on United that I would be worried about it.
Speaker 2: This before partaking time.
Speaker 1: He can make people work, isn't that, don't they call that slavery. I know when Ronald Reagan, when the air traffic controllers went on strike, Reagan just fired all of them and hired the military to do the job.
Speaker 4: Those are government employees. They said, if you strike, this is what I'm going to do. And at that point in time, they didn't know that Ronald Reagan was a man of his word and he would do exactly what he said he was going to do.
Speaker 2: And yeah, a whole bunch of them.
Speaker 4: Found out, Wow, this guy met was serious. But yeah, we've had I know it was Clinton that ordered the US Airways employees back to work when they went on strike, and they apported an emergency board and worked with him to get something hammered out. And as pro passenger as this administration is for all their problems, they certainly are trying to do a good job at that. I suspect they would do the same thing. But you know a lot of times this is simply just posturing. It's just part of the negotiations back and forth between union and management. And I suspect the United is going to step forward and take care of this because look, they know that some slight degree could affect future bookings.
Speaker 2: So they don't want that to be the case.
Speaker 4: So what they're going to do is as much as possible, especially now that this strike vote is out there and could impact you know, future reservations, They're probably going to move a little bit faster to try to get this wrapped up.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, you sound positive on a positive resolution and that they will not go on strike. But I'm just trying to.
Speaker 2: Just like, do we get to the next United story.
Speaker 1: To give it a moment. But I had this scenario where the Biden administration, which purports to be a big, big believer in union and supporter of unions, and of course which necessarily means you would support a strike for workers merely trying to get a fair wage, that they wouldn't force the unions to go back to work. And if that scenario were to unfold, I mean, we're talking about millions and millions of dollars in losses for the airline, right that.
Speaker 4: Could be Yeah, depends on how long it goes and things of this nature. But we got to go way back since the last time we've had a real work stoppage, so to speak.
Speaker 2: But you know, one of the.
Speaker 4: Things that we're looking at as we move forward on a lot of this is the idea of the current climate right now.
Speaker 2: And there's a lot more stories that are.
Speaker 4: Ongoing about how flight attendants, some of them are homeless. You know that we've talked about the American airline employees that are based in Massachusetts that are paid twenty seven thousand dollars a year when they start, they qualify for food stamps. You have flight attendants sleeping in airports in between their ships from one day to an act simply because they can't afford certain things. It's it's just if these were pilots, it would be sixty minute pieces and it would be addressed immediately. But for the flight attendants, we seem to be okay with it, and it's really unfortunate that they're almost an afterthought given the fact that they carry such an important role on board an airplane. Because yes, the pilots are there to keep us safe, and believe me, their training is unbelievable. But when you recognize the training flight attendants go through, I mean, you know, normally every year they've got to go through the survival at sea kind of training where you are in a wavepool, pitch dark, you go through everything is though it's realistic, and I mean they've got to excel at that because they're there to protect us in the event something goes wrong, And those are not the people that you should be playing the game of Oh, how little can we pay them to do their job? Yes, I know that most flights go off without a hitch, but we pay them for the times when things don't go right and they've.
Speaker 2: Got to save us.
Speaker 1: Amen to that, and I always appreciate your supporting and pointing out to my listeners exactly how important those flight attendants are. Moving over problems with flight attendants, we go from the positive of the negative. What possible benefit can anyone think they're going to get by stirring the pot of political division by wearing pro Palestinian lapel pins or even pro Israel palette pins.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: Why would an airline allow it?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you and I talked about a month and a half ago about Delta Airlines that had an employee that was wearing a pro Palestinian pen, and Delta Airlines thought, Okay, that's going to rub some passengers the wrong way. So we're going to put a policy out that says if flight attendants want to wear lapel pen they can. The only thing they can wear is.
Speaker 2: The US flag.
Speaker 4: A lot of the Delta flight attends weren't happy with it, but they understood it was the uniform dress code and that was what they had to do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: United Airlines, they had some of their flight attendants there are also wearing pro Palestinian lapel pins, and you have customers that are complaining. Unfortunately, United management doesn't care about what the passenger says. They said, it's far more important Jay's words. But it's far more important for their employees to have the freedom to properly express themselves than any concern over the passenger.
Speaker 2: So it just but the part of it that bothers me the most is, Okay.
Speaker 4: I get that you want to give your employees that power to express themselves politically if it need be on the job, which most businesses won't allow. But when we had the Black Lives Movement a couple of years ago, when it was at its peak, a lot of flight attendants were wearing BLM support pins, and you had other flight attendants that were wearing pro police pins. Those flight attendants were told to take those pins on because they could be considered insightful. So I guess the freedom to you know, express yourself only goes if you're in line with what United management thinks is appropriate, you know, if it's consistent, and they would allow it both ways, Brian, I would just say, okay, if that's what you want to do, that's fine. But when you choose and pick, pick and choose what you're going to allow and not allow, and you line it up with where your political standings.
Speaker 2: Are, way way way wrong.
Speaker 4: And I'm sorry. Employees have a dress code's there's things you and I have to abide by, and there's certain rules we know. If you're going to be here, this is what you got to have to do or not do. The idea that you know, men can wear dresses or the fingernail polish or whatever it might happen to be, and that's going to be okay. Or wear whatever support pen you want to wear, even though it may be offensive to passengers.
Speaker 2: United says that's okay.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, people can make their choices accordingly, and they probably will. You're gonna burn a few bridges doing it. And if it's a few, that's you too many as far as I'm concerned, we keep coming back.
Speaker 4: Remember, we keep coming back, so they treat us like garbage, and we keep coming back, so I guess they figure, eh, you know this will blow over soon.
Speaker 1: Orenough fair enough. And finally hub delays where we always end our segment. How's it to travel today? Other than being hotter than the hell out there.
Speaker 4: It's definitely warm for sure. New York and Houston could see some minor weather delays thirty to forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: Brian, The heat.
Speaker 4: Doesn't really impact us that much unless you're on a small regional jet, like when we used to have those fifty passenger airplanes. During really hot days, it affects the lift of an aircraft, which means you have you need more runway to take off, so we would have to leave a lot of passengers and bags behind when we had this kind of heat. Now, the bigger the aircraft, the less that's an issue. So you really don't have to worry too much about the heat, other than the poor people out on the ramp that are trying to work through it.
Speaker 1: H Imagine being a bag and chandler in this heat.
Speaker 4: Yes, big time ticularly required uniform. You gotta wear with the best and everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're cooking.
Speaker 1: I imagine they are anyway. Jay. Rather, it's always great having you on the fifty five KRC Morning Shore every Thursday beginning at eight thirty. You'll hear them again next Thursday. Between now and then, best of health, Love to you and your better half, Jay, take care of yourself, you too, my friend. Thank you, my pleasure, eight forty eight, fifty five KRC Detalk Station, that's my pleasure. Also to mention Bud Herbert Motors. Yes, Bud Herbert Motors family owned and operated for seventy five more than seventy five years, and you'll be working with one of the Herbert family members. And that's important because they're proud of what Bud Herbert did so many years ago and that start this wonderful company for lawn equipment and selling only the finest brands in the world. And Bud Herbert's mode of the most expensive tool you'll ever buy is a cheap one. That's because they break and they don't last. And that's what I found out. Went to the box store, I bought it. I think it was a cheap one. The thing wouldn't cut my grass. Halfway through it conked out so I had to take it back, go through that hassle, and thank you Westside, Jim Keefer, Sam Brian just called Bud Herbert Motors. I did, and what amazing, amazing service I got. I got my commercial grade Honda pushmar but I could have chosen a John Deere, x Mark Steele and other equipment. They carry all of that. The best brands around. And speaking of the best brands right now, Budebert Motors running at John Deere inventory reduction sales, So great opportunities to get one of those superior pieces of long equipment from John Deere at a discount, So you can learn more about that online. Go to Budherbertmotors dot com. They'll deliver it to you ready to go. They'll service everything they sell and their product knowledge and experience is without peer. Butdebertmotors dot Com tell them, Brian said, how would you please five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one five one three, five four one thirty two ninety one fifty five KRC dot com getting quality employees to