Speaker 1: Hello. I'm Ray Lee and this is the Gillingham Podcast for anyone living in the Gillingham and Spa area. I'm on Gillingham Meadow today talking to Ben Perry, who's the chair of the Gillingham Rising group. Ben, what's the idea behind Gillingham Rising.
Speaker 2: So, Gillingham Rising has been born out of a group of first and foremost business owners that are all based in the town. It's actually spiraled to a lot more of a wider group than that, and we have people who are just residents, we have people from some existing organizedas and the whole idea behind Giving and Rising is to create social and economic opportunities for giving in town. And some of the mechanisms we're using for that are like our fair today where we've got independent businesses coming onto the meadow. Hopefully should be a good family funday, bouncy castles, we've got some animals down from Manchester Farm to kids' activities and then various stools. So this is our first event and hopefully first of them. Any More, we'll be concentrating on things like art projects, community driven projects and basically engaging people from the community to come out, be sociable, get involved, and the whole idea behind that is that it helps to create footfall into the town, which means our town's businesses can thrive and we can create lots of interpend. The business opportunities within Gillingham brilliant.
Speaker 1: So have you had much response today? We've got many many people coming down today.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have actually for an event that we only got a sort of official go ahead for about three weeks ago. We have got quite a good collection of traders from local businesses. Dor food, raw pet foods are here for example. We've got some candle makers, we've got some wood turners, we've got some food vendors, ice creams, coffee and so it's turning into or shaping up to be a great event today, beautiful weather, hopefully Tariff Gillingham come out and see what we're trying to do to support a community.
Speaker 1: So people that want to join, is it going to be like a club or an association you can join and get benefits from.
Speaker 2: Yes, well it's a very open it's a very open group and we are we are forming a community interest company so that we can be officially recognized as a company, but with the community interest company criteria, all your profits and any assets have to get locked back into the company, so no one involved has as a sort of personal agenda if you like. I mean, it's all about you know, building that community community spirit. Also getting a community interest company criteria together, and that allows us to approach bodies that will provide funding. You know, we're looking at lottery, community grant found funding. We'll be looking at potentially some arts council funding as well and see if we can put some art projects that make the town a nice place to visit and stay. And while you're visiting and staying, maybe people spend a couple of quid and the independent businesses do well.
Speaker 1: So I assume that the town council are fully behind all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, town Council. We're making headway with the Chamber of Commerce. The three RP charity are very prevate in Gillingham, and so the idea of Gillingham Rising is not to compete or to obstruct any of these other organizations, is actually to work with them. So you know, as I said, it's a very open group and the only real agenda is to bring positive situations to Gillingham. However they may look. And so as I say, art projects, you know, summer events. We're looking at something maybe around Halloween as well, and so things that just give people something to come out to and enjoy. And so yeah, that's the whole sort of driver behind the organization.
Speaker 1: So is this likely to be an annual event?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the thought behind the market was that actually Gillingham's historically a market town. I moved here about five years ago. I think there was still a weekly market just about surviving, but unfortunately shut down, you know, not long after I lived here. And so, you know, my thing with the high street is, well, where's our baker, where's our butcher, where's our you know, fruit and veg stool. You know, we have four of the biggest supermarkets in town. A lot of people drive in by the shopping and drive out. So the hope here is to create some independent businesses that give another scope to Gillingham, not just being a kind of drive in and drive out destination. We have, you know, huge amounts of development going on around Gillingham, which you know presumably will mean lots more young families or lots more families because that's the kind of development that's being done. And so if we don't provide something for these people to to sort of pitch into in a community sense, then people will just remain insular and remain separated. So yeah, it's about bringing community together and trying to create a vibrant high street because I believe Gillingham was once a very vibrant high street and you know, sadly nationwide high streets are in decline. So let's try and reverse that with some good, community spirited projects that benefit the people that live here and visitors that come here.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, So, anybody listening, who's who may be interested in Gillingham Rising. What's the best way to contact.
Speaker 2: So we have an hour, We have an email address Gillingham Rising at outlook dot com. We also have a Facebook page under the same name and an Instagram so by any of those methods, please get in touch. We're open to all ideas. No idea too small, no ideas too silly. You know, we want we want it to be a fun, fun organization that is known for doing things that are good for the community. So if you've got an idea, please get in touch. We'd be happy to hear from you.
Speaker 1: Brilliant, lovely well, thanks ever so much for your time.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to Stuart from the Repair Cafe and Gillier. Stuart, what sort of stuff do you do there?
Speaker 3: Well, we've got a huge range of things that people bring in. Here's actually an example, I've got it on the table here. So some of the most popular items. We've had lamps, vacuum cleaners, trousers, toasters, get a lot of Roberts radios in, we've had record players and then we do some mechanical bits and pieces on as well, and we've fixed a few bicycles. Yea big range really, so people just to get the idea from the TV program or well, no, it's of Repair Cafe dot org is a it's got over three thousand different events around the globally, so it's part of an international organization that's been set up nonprofit, sort of volunteer based one.
Speaker 1: So so if you've got something that wants to fix in what do you do?
Speaker 3: Just come on down. Yeah, we've we've got an Instagram site and the Facebook SiGe. I haven't got a website so people can find the website. It's Gillingham Repair Cafe dot org dot UK.
Speaker 1: Well done.
Speaker 3: It should be easy enough to be able to find have you gone to Facebook and search Gillingham Repair Cafe. It's Gillingham, Dorset Repair Cafe.
Speaker 1: Yeah obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Otherwise it's chilling, yes, because we can go in since I think twenty twenty one now, and we picked so many things, you know, I come away from each event sort of mesmerized by the range of things that people bring in. Somebody bought it for a lady brought in an old tape recorder that was sentimental to it stopped working. It was just the contact that we made the play button work. So we cleaned that up and got that work and she had some recordings on it from when she was a teacher from you know, twenty years ago, and she hadn't heard them for ages. So it's doing bits like that and fixing. We fixing teddies and some sort of coloredy toys.
Speaker 1: So is it mostly small stuff you do or yeah.
Speaker 3: Portable things, yes, really. Obviously. We don't go out and we don't take things away. We try and fix them at the event. So we give about about an hour of the time to each repair and sometimes we have to draw a line and go that's too complicated, it's too difficult, or sometimes they need parts and we can't fix it on the date, they might have to come back on the second visit. So we also volunte here at the wind Can to repact as well. Quite so we sort of where are you actually located there. It's in the Vicary school rooms, just next to opposite Saint Mary's Church on Queen Street. And is that just every day or it's every second Saturday of the month, So it's once a month, every second Saturday in the afternoon from twelve thirty to three thirty and people can just turn up. You can email us or contact us before if you've got any in any questions about our device, want to get an idea whether it's something we can fix before you bring it down. We've done lots of kitchen aid mixers and things like that and they can be quite heavy to bring down, so some people want to be sure that we can have a look at it. So yeah, we want to spread the word, get more people aware of what we're doing and popping down get things repaired.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Well, thanks very much for your time.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm now talking to Phil from the Gillingham Community Cinema. Phil, how's the cinema work?
Speaker 4: We have a number of volunteers who put on a show once a month on a Thursday evening. We've got a large screen, a pretty good projector and surround sound system. So when we show these sort of films.
Speaker 5: Just for Christmas, we had Down to Abbey the Finale. We followed that with the Choral and we had H's for Hawk and Hamnet and our next showing is going to be The Roses. So we've had a wide selection of films. We've had the Bob Marley buyer pick, the Amy wine House buyer pick. So it's a very contemporary and varied range of films that we're able to show.
Speaker 4: How often?
Speaker 1: How often is the cinema held.
Speaker 5: Once a month on a day in the VSR which is the church the schoolroom, yes, opposite Mary's Church.
Speaker 4: Refreshment six pounds per adult and one pound for children, the whoever an interval at halftime we should sell ice creams and whoever a small drinks bar as well with soft soft drinks beer wine.
Speaker 1: So so if people are interested in want to know more about him, how can they contact you?
Speaker 5: Around the town there is advertising and on it you will see a phone number.
Speaker 1: Seven eight one seven three seven nine double oh.
Speaker 5: Six yes, and that will take you straight through to Gordon, our chief organizer, who will put you on the list for the next.
Speaker 3: Showing right Love.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I didn't catch you on.
Speaker 5: And I am Kate and I'm representing Messy Church was again is another of our right MESSI Church is an act footballer no different telling no I but a y Messy Church is an activity that I've been involved in for about ten years and it's a way of reaching out to churin and families and offering them activities related to a theme like this this particular Sunday and in September we're looking at creation, so we give the churren a range of fun activities, crafts and we'll be doing a treasure hunt in the churchyard tomorrow afternoon and then we have a short worship session usually sing a song and then we have a lovely team. So it's a family.
Speaker 1: Event which churches help and.
Speaker 5: It represents well, it represents all the churches grosskilling and our helpers come from range of churches. So it's it's Christian activity, but it's Christian in its broadest sense and it takes place in again the same building the VSR opposite Mayory's Church three o'clock and it's on tomorrow Sunday the twelfth, and then there's another session will be on Sunday the twentieth of September.
Speaker 1: So how do people get in touch if they're interested?
Speaker 3: They just turn up, just turn up.
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, there is no phone number.
Speaker 5: They just come along brilliant. I need to advertise to all the schools, all the Gillingham schools take half brilliant advertisers and put them on their parent mail.
Speaker 1: Thanks them so much for your time a pleasure.
Speaker 4: Cheers.
Speaker 1: If you're a member of a group or organization that would like to be featured on the Future Gillingham Podcast, then you can email me at Killingham Podcast at gmail dot com. Thanks for listening.