Speaker 1: It's night time with Dan Ray. I'm Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, So here's an interesting, I think, a very interesting issue and question which has come up. But apparently there is a push to legalize or decriminalize at least jaywalking in Massachusetts. Now you don't hear much about jaywalking, but the law is still on the books and the fine is only a dollar, which struck me as kind of interesting. I mean, how do they collect the fine. It's look, it may be on the books, but it is not observed. I see people all the time jaywalking. I jwalk. I probably do it less now than I did thirty years ago, when I knew I could basically sprint through any intersection without a care of the world, because I was pretty quick. As you get older, you lose a little bit of that quickness. Let me put it like that. I think anyone on the wrong side of fifty will understand what I'm talking about. When you're twenty or twenty five, across that street in about four seconds, that's easy. But when you're fifty or so, it may take a little longer, but beyond that it takes substantially longer. The bottom line is that we all jaywalk at the same time, my feeling is the fact that it is still illegal probably is a good thing, because I don't want. You know, first of all, if I jwalk, I'm assuming the consequences of my actions. If I'm really dumb and I don't look both ways and I don't follow the crosswalk and all of that, and I get hit and hurt or worse, don't shed any tears because that will have been my stupidity which put me in that situation. And if the fact that a statue is still in the books doesn't make me think, well, maybe I can wait for the light because it's really not worth it, and then I'm a dummy, and I'm not a dummy. However, I kind of like it on the books because I swear to God, I don't want you as a hood ornament on my car. Okay, I mean you may be a great person. You probably are a great person. I'd love you to call my show any night. We can have a conversation, we can have a discussion about any topic. But the one thing I do not want to meet you at the intersection of the hood of my car and you because I'm assuming people won't jaywalk. But I'm assuming that there will be someone in that group of pedestrians who might decide to dart out against the traffic light. So I am a very mixed mind here, I guess. I guess actually I'm kind of in favor when I think about what I just said of keeping this law in the books. Probably I would bet you that there's no city or town in Massachusetts which has collected more than five bucks from jaywalkers. If the finds a panel is a park, that's number one. Number two. Uh, you have no idea how many people's lives might have been saved because they said, you know, it would be just my luck if I jump out here, some police officers to grab me. And I would suspect most people don't know that the fine for jaywalking is a dollar. I mean, I'll give the police officer five dollars. Of course you can't do that, but just to be rid of it. So that's the question. There is apparently some groups in Massachusetts there are who are trying to eliminate any penalty or fine for jaywalking. Now, my suspicion is a lot of those groups want to in effect take back the streets and take back the crosswalks, And I understand that, just as the bicyclists have taken back a lot of the asphalt with their bike lanes. So the question is it's illegal in Massachusetts to jaywalk. The fine for jaywalking is, believe it or not, a dollar. It's almost as if you should take it off the books because of that. That sounds like something from you know, the sixteen hundreds. They find they find people a pence or whatever was the coin of the realm back then, A dollar, nothing when you think about it. So I just want to throw it out there real quickly and let's get some conversation going on it. If you've ever jaywalked and regretted it, meaning you jaywalked and you came close to paying a much different penalty than a dollar, I'd love to hear from you if you have ever had a close encounter with a jaywalker. And again, if you have a close encounter with a jaywalker, who do you think is going to prevail you, the person behind the two thousand pound vehicle or the jywalker. You know the answer. I don't even have to tell you on that. One six, one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six one seven nine three one ten thirty Take it off the books. You say, well, it's a victory for freedom, But I think I think that that might be just the incentive that some as Tom Minino, God bless him, would say, some knucklehead would end up as a hood ornament on on on my car or your cars your car. And by the way, given a choice between someone ending up as a hood ornament on my car or your car, I nominate your car. I want nothing to do with that. Six one seven, two four thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty will get it going. On the other side of the break back on night Side after this.
Speaker 1: Now bent to Dan Way live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio, Jaywalkers, Let's see what people think. I think there's a purpose of it it being on the books. To be honest with you, Tom and West Virginia. Tom next on nights Side, Agree or disagree, buddy.
Speaker 3: No, I disagree. Here's the point. Number one. We have crosswalks for a reason. And the people that are pushing this, no doubt are probably leftists that you know, in the future, because Donald Trump is now president, the country is starting this wing right. These are the same jerks that are gonna want to block intersections. They're going to go you know, we were to save the wheels, all right. You know. They almost remind me like a South Park cartoon that you know, at some point just get.
Speaker 2: You know, we live in that climate.
Speaker 4: You change and you can't.
Speaker 3: Redreage your gasoline, pick up drug or.
Speaker 2: Tom. I'm trying to figure out where you are in the issue. In other words, right now, it's it's a stat it's a law in massage use. It's the finest, the finest dollar. Keep it, yeah, I'm with you. Keep it yeah, because there's a lot of people out.
Speaker 3: You know, but but they're they want to change it because at some point there's going to be organized groups of Marxist led people that are trying to weaken any law whatsoever to block traffic because we have inter message Joe, you know, these are the losers of our society that you know, you can't organize a protest on Boston Common and may bring.
Speaker 2: Realistically realistically, Uh, when they have a protest and they link their arms, so they put their arms in in thats of cement. They're not claiming they're jaywalking, they're there. I don't like those people at all. You know that, but having it as on the books. Because there are some people who are rules followers. I'm not one of them, necessarily, because I'd admit I jaywalk, but I'm not stupid. I don't jaywalk on Route one twenty eight or four ninety five. If I'm on a street and there's nothing coming in each direction, I double check a couple of times that I can scoot across. Okay, technically ijwalk, but it's an intelligent form of jaywalking as opposed to just jaywalking and getting hit by a car.
Speaker 3: Dan Dan, I've worked in thirteen states in one US territory, okay, and the one thing that you find about Northeastern cities is people jaywalk all the time because I have to get from point A to point B. Okay, But you use common sense. In other words, if you're on Commonwealth Avenue and the light is green and you pause in between cars, I understand that. And I don't know anybody who has ever been cited. Because I used to live in Beacon Hill. Starting in nineteen seventy eight, I met and I did the same thing. I'm not at across walk all right, but you know, if I'm on Cambridge Street, and Beacon Hill, and I need to get to the donut shop across the street. I'm gonna go on a diagonal. I'm not gonna go down and wait, you know, for whatever. But I never got a citation for that. But I know where this is going, all right, And it's all about legalities. And you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I tell you where I think.
Speaker 3: It's going to start.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you where I think this is going. Okay, I think it's going because I think some of the groups that I forget the name of the group, but it's like walk Boston or something like that. And I think there's going to be This is part of the we want to take the streets back. Uh. And we don't want any or anything that prevents us from doing what we want.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And and and the enemy of the people in those those gas powered automobiles this is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well those those are probably the same people that a few years ago that were slashing tires and Beacon Hill to stop global warming. I'm sick of these weenies, I really am. And you know something, uh And I always bring this up the progressive talk show host and well, we've got to change are the way we drive with electric vehicles. Really, you live on Joystreet and Beacon Ill. How are you going to charge your electric vehicle? You live on the third floor in a brownstone. Are you going to run a three hundred foot extension cord out to your vehicle on the streets of Joystreet and Beacon Hill? Really?
Speaker 2: You know? So?
Speaker 3: But here's the point. And when I always bring up China, they go, well, they'll eventually get to it in fifty years.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: No, if you really believe in man make climate change and that we've all got to stop driving gas powered vehicles, the whole world at the same point in time has to do the same thing. The United States of America represents five percent of the world's population. If I'm not mistaken, all right, five percent of the world's population that drives gas power vehicles is not going to change climate change. And at some point somebody News needs to do a little bit of critical thinking instead of some weenie wearing a man bun that you know is a barista at Starbucks who gets two minutes on Channel five of like, we've good to.
Speaker 6: Save the planet.
Speaker 3: Man, We've good save more years to save the world.
Speaker 2: Oh you got it, Tom, you got it all in you got it all in. I hope you feel better.
Speaker 3: I hope I offended. So I hope I hope in Massachusetts, no, I think.
Speaker 2: I just want you to know you're the second call it from West Virginia. Tonight. We're building a base in West Virginia. Okay. A guy in the first hour. It's Bobby from West Virginia, and he was telling me how he used to he hunts wild boar in Georgia. Sounds like you're sort of guy. Oh, I got to go well.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Dan, it's dear season down here. So far, I got two bucks from the freezer. Tomorrow is dough season. I'll get a third. That's my red meat. I don't eat beef anymore. Deer are a free range animal.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And for those of you when need him that just learned it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Tom, Tom, I got it. I got out of callers, get them into Thanks, good night, bye bye. Tom feels he's a passionate college Georgian bridge. Want to joge you in next on Nightsager right ahead?
Speaker 4: Hey, how you doing Dan?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 7: I want them to keep it on the books, but I'd like to see the fine up to to at least one hundred bucks I got I got nailed in Luxembourg and two hundred bucks. And you almost you and you don't know it, but you almost got nailed in Germany when you went there. I think it was your last day. You were talking about it and your bus was leaving. You ran across the street. You're lucky you didn't get caught, because the Germans enforces too.
Speaker 2: So when you get nailed in Luxembourg, did you have to write a check or give him some cash on the spot. It wasn't. I gave you a court date three weeks from now.
Speaker 7: No, I was with a gale from Luxembourg, and you know they speak English too, But no, we paid cash right on the spot. We got it. You know, we got a legitimate ticket. But Europe brilliant forces to jaywalkin laws, and I wish we were too, and I wish we would, you know, have a hefty fine, because.
Speaker 2: I mean dollar means nothing. Here you go, officer. I'm very happy. And I don't think anyone that I can in America or within the sound of our voice, has been stopped for jaywalking or worse yet, in any way, shape or form penalized. But so you had to how did you come up with the hundred You had a hundred in your pocket?
Speaker 7: No, I've had to pain in euros and we had a lot of euros on it on us. But you know, I shake it down.
Speaker 2: Boy, that sounds like police work. In Luxembourg. You could almost shake shake out a town tourists down. Hey, come here, you help me hundred.
Speaker 7: Bucks Dan That that was the year two thousand when when I was a truck driver in Germany from sixty three to sixty six. Yeah, they were real. They were enforcing the laws in Germany. It's u and the last thing I wanted to do was run somebody over and my deuce in a half. So, I mean, Europe's got it together. They lost enough people in the World War Two they don't want to lose anymore.
Speaker 2: But no, I understand that. So when you were there, if you were driving a deuce and a half, you were working for the US government.
Speaker 7: That's right. But but I worrying all in olive drab uniform, Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: But I know up a two one hundred.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 7: I lived in brockd Up for nine years and I noticed on my main street, I even forget the name of it. Before I got to my house, there was a crosswalk every twenty feet, but they didn't use them. I almost wiped out a few people. And I don't want I don't want to do that.
Speaker 2: That's the reason why I think the law should stay in the books. And whether or not, I'm not quite with you. Increasing the fine, maybe increasing the twenty five bucks or something, make it something that people yeah, yeah, yeah, but certainly more than a dollar. But yeah, but I don't The last thing I want is to have, you know, my picture in the paper saying someone ends up on the hood of Dan Ray's car. I don't want that at all, you know, even though today, once again, you know, I stopped at a couple of crosswalks to allow people to go across, and they it's you know, college students. They never look, they never say, they give you a nod of a wave or a nod of the head or thank you. It's like you there. They have priorities, doesn't matter what the circumstances are. And if you're kind enough to stop, which I always do, don't expect to have anyone ever say thank you. When I go across the street and a crosswalk and someone stops at me, I go out of my way, thank you very much.
Speaker 7: And oh yeah, I give them my heads up myself. And this is not part of your show, is not part of you. I never blocked the box.
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a different I would now those should be twe hundred dollar fines those.
Speaker 7: Yes, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks, George's always.
Speaker 7: Are You're welcome? All right, buddy, Thanks.
Speaker 2: You six four ten thirty. That's the only lines that are open right now. I got two of them. Therefore you six months seven two five four to ten thirty. Back with Laurie uh and Connie. Laurie from Idaho, Connie from Medford and I got room for you at six months seven two five four ten thirty. Should they basically take the jaywalking law off the books in Massachusetts or leave it? I think you leave it just so that some people might at least think about it if they're going to jump out into traffic. That's my thought. Love to know what you think. Back on Nightside after.
Speaker 1: This Night Side Thought with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about jaywalking. Let's see what Laurie in Idaho says. I don't think they have rules against Jaywalkee and Idaho. I suspect do they, Laurie.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I haven't checked.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think so. But I do know when I was, you know, back in New England Boston Arey, I had, you know, two thoughts on the law. If I wanted jay walk, I wish it weren't there, and if someone idiot was walking in front of me, I'm glad it's there. So which is probably what everybody else.
Speaker 3: Has been saying.
Speaker 8: And you know, and her good reason. But your last collar brought up a very interesting point. My parents were in Germany from fifty to fifty six or fifty seven. Well, my dad was doing his army service, and they say, a little bit longer becauthing liked it. And so even like my mom would come back to visit me in Mastitute, Massachusetts, why is down there, said a little bit. And if I wanted to same thing, go all the way up half a block, to go across and go back down half a block that's just right across the street, and there's no traffic, she would have a fit. And now I understand why because they lived in Germany for seven years in the fifties.
Speaker 2: But so so in Germany. Your parents were very respectful of the law because, as George said, you get grabbed for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and it was it was the rule. And my dad was obviously in the army there, and so they obeyed if they lived off off base.
Speaker 2: But she she's always very good for the Germans fault. They're rules followers, you know, as a society.
Speaker 8: Well, and then my mother respected that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: It was like all the loss.
Speaker 8: But that explains why I never knew why she was. She's freaked out so badly every time I said, let's just run across the streets here, we can do this. Now we're j jay walking.
Speaker 4: Who's looking?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've jay walked in different places, and I think you're a little more cognizant of it when you're in what did they say when in Rome, do as the.
Speaker 3: Romans do, right, exactly?
Speaker 8: And she was young, I mean, you know, she was twenty. Yeah, but but I was always very very you know, cattal era. But as sometimes no traffic was around, I would never dive in front of traffic. But I did get really pissed off and picked off when you know, these kids with the headphones on and just walk across the street and not care.
Speaker 3: We need we need a hold.
Speaker 2: That's a whole that's a whole nother story, as as I said, right, but.
Speaker 8: We need the law books to protect us from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, every day I drive through a couple of student areas and it just looks to me like the student's attitude is, hey, guess what you know. I'm here, I paid my tuition. I got to be able to do whatever I want to do. And that bothers me a bit. But I just think my feeling is leave it in the books, because even if one person thought about it and didn't put themselves in a position where they're going to be run over by two thousand pounds of steel and rubber, that's a good thing. That's that's a good thing. And maybe, as George said, let's let's make it a little more, a little bit more of a bite that it's one police office going to enforce one dollar fine. Most police officers going to laugh at that, say what, I'm wasting my time?
Speaker 8: Well so, but then if you if you can get away with that, you know, jay walking across the street, you know a couple of lanes and nobody's there. If the police officer could go and collect the buck, they're not going to get you for it, But if it's higher, they're going to notice it. So I don't know. It's kind of a double resort.
Speaker 2: It definitely is, and you've got to be got to be always careful of who's around in the circumstances. Laurie loved them. Loved a couple of text you sent to me lately. I'm glad we're in the same wavelength from a humor point view. Thanks Mustard, Doctor Soon six thirty, triple eight nine, ten thirty or six one seven nine. Got a bunch of lines open here, so fill them up. Jaywalking is it something that bothers you? There's a there's an effort right now by group that is in that is and we attempted to have the group join us tonight, but I don't think producer Marita was able to reach them. Uh. They are organized and they want to get rid of jaywalking. They want to make it so that jaywalking no well, that the penalty against jaywalking no longerings exists. Connie is in me. Hi, Connie, welcome, Hi Dan, how are you. I'll do great? Thanks for calling it well.
Speaker 6: You know, I have a story. I think I was about twenty years old and that happened. I was coming home from a friend's house and I was going to cross you know, I was in Midford Square like, and I was going to cross the street. There was nothing around, and all of a sudden, when I got to like the middle of the of the street, well, there was a car on top of me.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, you mean you were hit by a car.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was hit by a card. Where as a family in this car that that. Evidently they didn't see me, and by the time they did, I was already on the ground, so they stopped. Okay. Then before you know it, the police were there, the ambulance and they took me to the hospital here in Medford, Lawrence Morrow, and I had a baseball on my leg and I had to cut under my chin. My parents didn't even know that at the time until they called him, you know, if the hospital called them. But anyways, I didn't realize that was going to happen, because, like I said, I usually walked you look before I crossed the street. But evidently it happened to me, and I said, oh my god, I'm in trouble.
Speaker 2: Now, So I asked you this, have you ever jaywalked again?
Speaker 6: I mean since that. No, But well now I'm now I'm old. Now I'm maybe six years old. I'm not going to jaywalk. I look at all of the traffic lights now too.
Speaker 2: So no, but I went with you when you were younger. When you were you said a teenager.
Speaker 6: I think no, I think I was about twenty. I think at the time.
Speaker 2: That's okay, Yeah, you're quite young at twenty.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now i'm eye six years old. Now I'm eye six, and I don't think that I was going to do that. I learned my lesson after that happened. And I don't think there was any any laws in the book for jaywalking then. Anyway, when I was that age that.
Speaker 2: That I know of the law of survival, it was okay.
Speaker 6: So I mean if there is one now, then yeah, they should do something about it, because a lot of people they don't look, they don't look at at at when they cross, especially young people. I noticed they have their their cell phones glued to their ears and they're not paying attention to the traffic, you know, and they're.
Speaker 2: Walking as someone who you didn't have a cell phone back in those.
Speaker 6: Days, right, we didn't. But now that they have them, that's what they do. They're not looking at the traffic. And this makes me very nervous because I drive, but like I say, usually I stop all the time when I see somebody that's walking on the street, or even when they're going to Wegmans and Method, I usually stop because I know that's a very busy place, so I stop. But when I do, they have those phones, they glued to the end. They don't even pay attention because they're either texting or they're talking on the phone. And that makes me nervous.
Speaker 2: It makes me nervous too. Thank you for call, Thanks so much. Be careful out there.
Speaker 6: Okay, Oh I will thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Dan, thanks for calling in. Have a good night, have a nice celebrate Christmas. I assume oh you.
Speaker 6: Too, Yes you too Christmas because I listen to you all the time. I listen to it night all the time.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, don't you ever. Okay, talk to you soon. Have a great night.
Speaker 6: Okay, you too.
Speaker 2: Let me get Gary for Muburn in here. Gary will always have sort of a an interesting take. Gary, your take on the jaywalking laws in Massachusetts. They're there, they're not particularly enforced. Is it time to get rid of them?
Speaker 4: I'm totally confused by the subject come out of but as I get older, sixty one years of age, I definitely do not jaywalk. When you're younger, you do it. And the lady at eighty six years of age, God bless you for calling at the Dan show. You sounded very lively and talking about young people. The cops should be getting off their butts and writing them out a checkout for twenty five dollars right away by you.
Speaker 2: Know, well, where what what the police? First of all, the police, Uh, the fine for jaywalking in Massachusetts is a dollar. A dollar.
Speaker 3: That's terrible, So I got bump it up first.
Speaker 2: The first question that we're trying to just to get your confusion straighten out here, the question is is it worth it to have it on the books if all the fine is a dollar? Because what police offers waste his time unless somebody's doing it so so obviously, or maybe even in the middle of the street taunting people. Do you j I'll bet you do. I'll bet you do.
Speaker 3: Gary, what's that?
Speaker 2: Stay with the program, Gary? Do you j walk?
Speaker 4: At sixty one years later, I stopped doing that type of time I get as I get older, I go more by the law and so far because I see the younger people and so forth, and I want to try to be a little bit more of an example. But one time before I let you go, because I'm working right now, Dan, I want you to know Gary Tangway filled in for you while you were gone. Okay, I don't worry about Yeah, David from San Francisco called in last week, and David, I just want you to know we all love David. We don't agree with what he says, me and you, but we love David. David. If you're listening, and Gary Tangway hung up on him so disrespectfully when you have an outside call outside Erie, Dan, you always treat everybody more special because they're not from New England.
Speaker 2: Correct, No, I treat everybody special. But here's the deal. I didn't hear Gary the call that Gary had. I know Gary a little bit, worked with him in Channel four. He's a very decent guy. David could be a very frustrating caller.
Speaker 4: Okay, he wasn't frustrating. He was very nice and that station and Gary sang way, they owe him an apology.
Speaker 9: David, we love you.
Speaker 3: Keep calling it to be a favorite.
Speaker 2: Call Gary next week and explain it to him. Okay, I'm sure he'll appreciate hearing from you. Appreciate it. Thanks, thanks so much. Thanks gone. Gary has a tendency. Gary from Woburn has a tendency to kind of leave the conversation while it's half over. But that's okay, So I want to wrap it up on the other side, and we're going to talk for the balance of the hour about jaywalking. Jaywalking's on the books in Massachusetts. You're not supposed to jaywalk. Ironically, the fine is only a dollar, okay, so it's an unenforced law. I say keep it on the books, and I say raise the price, so it's worth the police officer's effort to write a ticket. Jaywalking is dangerous. It's also dangerous to me when I'm driving my car, and one thing I do not want is to end up having someone on the hood of my car as an ornament. So I'm looking at it from the perspective of a pedestrian who has jaywalked. I'm more than happy to admit that if I look both ways and I realized there's nothing I'm probably gonna go across the street to prefer to go across in a sidewalk in a crosswalk. But so I'm I'm not without sin on this one. But I'm more concerned about I'm driving and all of a sudden there's someone who's not looking. And I've had those situations, both with drivers and with walkers, and I always try to drive as defensively as possible. And my attitude is there's someone out there today that wants to crash in to me, I want to avoid them. My question to you is jaywalking. Should the lost stay in the books? That's number one? If it's if you agree it should be on the books. Should the should the find go up a little bit? I think so. I mean I think a dollar this kind of a ridiculous number might have been good around the time of I guess when cars first came on the road, but I think we're past that stage now. So love to get your opinion. Six one, seven, two four ten thirty, six seven nine three one ten thirty. Kathy from Ludenberger is on the other side. I'd love to hear from you on this, and we are going to talk after the eleven o'clock News tonight about why is Congress sitting on the radio in cars bill? You'll be interested with some of the statistics. It's a majority of support in both the Senate and the House, and yet it has not been acted upon. I don't want to see this bill die. I want to see it pass because I think we need AM radios in cars. I say that selfishly from the point of view of as a talk show host. I know many of you are listening on radio right now in your cars, but I also think that in the time of a national emergency, AM stations have a much bigger area that they broadcast to the FM stations. FM stations are wonderful, and they're great for music and things like that, but it has really a small footprint. WBC has a huge footprint, and in the case of some sort of natural disaster, a man made disaster, we need as much communication, as much communication as possible, and as many media outlets to spread that information as possible. Coming right back on Nightside, let's finish up on Jaywalking between now and ten give me a call.
Speaker 1: Coming back now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ the news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get everyone in here, starting off with Kathy and Lunarburg. Kathy, your thoughts on jaywalking. Is it a law we should keep a get rid of.
Speaker 10: Definitely keep Okay, I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. I think the fees should be higher. People are paying less attention these days, walking around you attached their phones. I was in downtown Boston last night and it's amazing to me how many people just you know, shoot out here and they are not paying any attention. So, but I have to say, what drives me absolutely nutstand especially out where I am is now we have bike lanes and allowing bikes to ride almost in the middle of the road. It's so illogical and encouraging it. I mean, everything is so upside down.
Speaker 8: I look, I.
Speaker 2: Get they get everything they ask for and more and more. It's like they'll say, give us a bike lane ten feet wide. They say no, no, no, no, no, We'll give you.
Speaker 8: One fifteen feet I know, I know.
Speaker 10: And electric bikes, oh my god, you know, even more of a hazard. So it's like anything goes, you know, just like the cafes.
Speaker 2: Well, we talked last time about opening up cannabis.
Speaker 10: Cat, I know I was listening. Yeah, I don't agree with that either, Vanity.
Speaker 2: What you do in Boston went to a play or have dinner or something or.
Speaker 10: Mattheop holiday party?
Speaker 2: Easy, easy to find parking spaces.
Speaker 4: Right, oh sure, so you know good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all the garages are reasonably priced. How much sixty dollars, seventy dollars?
Speaker 10: I don't know. I let my husband pay.
Speaker 4: I didn't be at all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jaffy is always thanks so much for calling. Appreciate you all right, thanks, thanks, I get two more in here before the end of the night. Bill in South Boston, Bill you next time, night said, welcome.
Speaker 9: Back, Hi Dan, thank you your Darren. There's another side to the whole j walking thing, and that is being able to safely walk through a crosswalk.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, in other words, you.
Speaker 9: Don't have a lot of confidence walking through a crosswalk in Massachusetts because this rare little or limited enforcement. But I think if people actually had confidence walking through a crosswalk and they were repercussions for somebody driving through them, we might have a little bit less jaywalking.
Speaker 2: That's a good point that that's that's a good point. But again, if I'm going to crosswalk. I don't. I don't have a light shopping traffic. I'm gonna make sure the traffic.
Speaker 9: I'm not gonna oh yeah, no you no, no, no no. But it's still it is amazing, though. I've been in the middle of a crosswalk and had a coach bus while I'm halfway through the crosswalks go speeding through it. And it was a couple of times where it's been a close call.
Speaker 3: But you do have to use caution.
Speaker 9: But when somebody's speeding around the corner, you know, you obviously have to walk, pick up your feet and make time. I lived in southern California about twenty five years ago. I was out there for about a decade and two things I learned very quickly was you don't jaywalk and you don't drive through a crosswalk. And for that reason, you know, that's one thing that they very much have together out there. And also is there's six to eight lanes in each direction on the highway. People actually use turn signals. They abide by the traffic law because the California Highway Patrol is all over you if you're driving erradically, So I ride bill.
Speaker 2: What Bill, you've used a term that we're unfamiliar with here in New England's a turn signal. It's like a holy kid exactly.
Speaker 9: Well, if I wonder, sometimes you'll see it hundred hundred thousand dollars car and for some reason it doesn't come with directionals. It's amazing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I get I gotta get one more in here.
Speaker 3: I love to call take care everybody.
Speaker 2: Take it easy, Merry Christmas. All right, let's go to John and Drake and John, I'm gonna sneak in for about a minute or so because you're calling leap it. You got the microphone.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, John, Oh no, this is a perfect again. Check this out right. I had a jaywalker and there was no Crosswalky jaywalks walked into my car, sell down, and now I have to go in front of the merit rating board because I got points on my driving record. Now I also had a witness that saw the whole thing happen. The gentleman had a fluorescent vest on underneath his jacket, but yet he walked into the side of my car around fell and broke his glasses. Now he was also quite frankly liability wise. They went after my insurance company. So now I have to dispute the fact.
Speaker 2: What besides broken glasses. First of all, he walked into your car. You didn't hit him, he hit you case, that's right, as I'm concerned John, if I'm the hearing officer, no, you.
Speaker 5: Are, and the report says differently. But guess what I have to dispute that. I have to dispute it because family members were around the corner from this particular incident and walked up to the scene and said, well, we don't sue.
Speaker 7: People, but yet they did put in acclaim.
Speaker 9: How about that?
Speaker 2: And the gentleman keep me posted. Tell the hearing officer as far as Dan Ray's concerned, case dismissed. Maybe that will help.
Speaker 5: I'm glad I got one in. Thank you sir, and happy all days.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas to you two. Thanks to talk to you. So here comes the eleven. Right after the eleven, we're going to talk about how we keep AM radios in cars. I've been meaning to do this for some time. I think it's an important issue for me. I hope it's an important one for you. We'll be back. I'll explain right after the break here at the at eleven o'clock