Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day low actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Nope, necessary daidherehabit I lost terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website Ford.
Speaker 5: Looks.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 7: Good evening. This is your host Dan Supanski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True crime History and the authors that have written about them. Gary Michael Hilton once sold this movie idea to hollyo with the straight to video Deadly Run was about a man who captures women only to set them free on this very private and secluded Georgia land so that he can hunt and kill them. In two thousand and seven, at least, that's the earliest investigators have been able to prove he brought Hollywood to life when he began using state parts as his own personal hunting grounds. Convicted of murder and sentenced to death, it would seem the case was not closed. Fred Rosen was commissioned by the Atlanta Journal Constitution to write a front page piece for their Sunday section on the real timeline of Meredith Emerson's murder, which is covered in his book Trails of Death. Rosen was denied information and now realized that the timeline in the book is wrong. Emerson should probably still be alive. The truth never came out, and Rosen is pursuing the story. The book that we're going to be profiling this evening is Trails of Death Revisited, an update with my special guest journalist and author Fred Rosen. Welcome back to the and thank you for the Greens' interview Fred Rosen, Dan, how are you great? Thanks? How are you doing, Fred?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well. Thank you.
Speaker 7: For our audience. I was very interesting. I listened to our previous interview that we did months ago, and you had talked about something very very interesting, and you had mentioned the listeners to watch for something to happen in late October, and then I was in contact with you and you had said the same thing. So let's just I think maybe, unless it's you think it wouldn't be prudent. Let's go back and give sort of an overview of the Gary Michael Hilton case itself and then give us the update and how this update came to be, and talk about the Atlanta Journal Constitution and the front page piece as much as you possibly can. Let's go back to Gary Michael Hilton.
Speaker 5: Sure well, Gary Hilton. Gary Hilton is a convicted serial killer. And that's what that's what the book Trails of Death is about. Gary began killing. He's only the third person in United States history to begin his career as a serial killer in his sixties. And what happened was Gary began killing in North Carolina in October of two thousand and seven, and he killed two people there, Irene and John Bryant. And then he got back in his van and he went south to Florida where he killed, decapitated and also took off the hands of Ryl Dunlap. And Gary did these things because it was going to obscure the identity of these individuals. Then get back in the van again and went up to Georgia where he kidnapped, decapitated, or rather murdered and decapitated Meredith Emerson. And that occurred in early January of two thousand and eight. And what happened after that was after the police caught him in Georgia, he fled to the murder of Emerson, he got life in prison with parole. He was extradited to Florida where he was convicted of murdering Sheryl Dunlap and sentenced to death, and then he got extradited to North Carolina where he was convicted earlier this year in federal court for murdering the Bryants on federal land and sentenced to life in prison. And essentially that is where things have stood and where I come into it regarding doing a further investigation is I've become privy to certain information which I am working on right now, and it will sort of extend this case and it will elucidate certain aspects of it that to this point in time haven't been And that is the story I'm working on for the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Speaker 7: Okay, now, tell us a little bit more, because what we alluded to and we spoke of, I spoke of in the introduction was the timeline. So that's that's pretty basic. But tell us a little bit more without giving anything away. If you whatever you can't give away, please don't. But tell us more what aspect we're dealing with, and how much and how important is this pre development.
Speaker 5: Well, let's put it this way. You're a hell of a good journalist for pressing things. No, I mean it, because I can't really talk about it, but I can say this. The there was a timeline that was released by the police in Georgia, and that timeline includes when she when Meredith was actually abducted, the time period during the search, and then subsequently the time period during when she was uh murdered, and then when they finally capture mister Hilton. Now, one of the things that I can talk about because this is this is already public, is this, but I sort of put it together a little bit differently, and that and that is this that Gary Hilton had a federal warned out for his arrest at the time of all of these murders, and believe it or not, for abandoning his car on federal land in Georgia, Okay, and it is a misdemeanor warrant. And this did not and what makes it interesting, and this is really the periphery of what I'm doing. But again, I don't mind talking about this because this is certainly this has been reported. But what I've done is basically put it all together. And what occurred was this that this warrant occurred in two thousand and six, and the warrant was never served because they couldn't find Hilton, And what subsequently happened was that the warrant just remained outstanding and it was for his arrest. And what occurs is that after he kills the Bryans in North Carolina, Irene and John Bryant, he has stopped in Georgia in a rural area and his license is run and the warrant doesn't come up. He then goes to the Apalachicola National Forest in Florida and he gets stopped there and the warrant is run and it doesn't come up again, and then he subsequently will kill Ryl Dunlap and Meredith Emerson. The story that I'm writing deals with, among other things, why that warrant did not come up when these people stopped him. So I will be answering that question in the article. And I've been able to get the cooperation of the United States Marshall Service. They've been very kind and helping, and they've actually been great, Actually, they've really been great. And so I'm in the process of interviewing other individuals to put together the rest of this information so that we have a more accurate picture about why these people wound up dying. And this will be a story, hopefully it'll be later this month on the front page of the Sunday section of the Atlanta Journal Constitution. How'd I do good?
Speaker 7: I still have some questions, though, well.
Speaker 5: You can ask them. I don't know if I can answer.
Speaker 7: Okay. What I'm curious is is that the way you spoke about it is that, Okay, you're going to tell why even though there was these two federal warrants, that this warrant didn't come up. Now, being a curious mind that I am am, I sounds like if you did get cooperation from the US marshalls, then certainly there isn't much blame to be assigned to anyone specifically.
Speaker 5: That would be a safe assumption.
Speaker 7: Okay, is it? How groundbreaking? Is is the information?
Speaker 5: Well? I didn't think any of that stuff. I can't do that. There will be groundbreaking information in the story, uh, there will will. There will be groundbreaking information in the story because, as in any situation where individuals are abducted, the what occurs is everybody is put on alert and as an information comes out, in dribs and drabs, and it really does take time for a journalists to put together the the the the overall line of the whole thing. And it's not just it's not just the timeline, uh. I mean, that's part of it, but it's it's it's the it's getting the perspective on what happened and why it happened. And it isn't a question of of get a blame or something of that nature. It's simply what we journalists do, which is trying to get the best attainable version of the truth. And that's not an easy thing to do. And as you know, and I was looking, I've been lucky enough to be able to get access to certain information, uh that I had been denied previously, and that's helped me to really put the whole thing in perspective, so to take a look at really why these things, why these things happen the way that they happened. And that's what I think is most important, is is the why it happened and the way it happened. And again I know that I'm speaking in generalities. I you know, when you're in the middle of doing something, it's difficult to do otherwise, And but that's what the story will deal with. And so I would simply ask the listeners confidence and patience, and you know, if they, if they, you know, keep abreast with us, they will get their money's worth. And from what I understand, you can just get the paper online for nothing, so it won't cost anything. But so anyway, I'm putting it together, and there's still certain individuals that I need to speak to regarding this, and and that's that's where it's at right now.
Speaker 7: Now you can't tell us by what route you were able to gain this new information that was, as you say, was denied to you initially.
Speaker 5: Bee Trout Betroth.
Speaker 7: Okay, well enough said, then, you know, I know, I see what happened.
Speaker 5: Was in order to understand where I come into this, I had started working on this story almost three years ago. Well actually I started working on it really to day that Meredith was abducted. I started researching it, but it wouldn't be until two years later because it took time for the case to wind through the system.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: A couple of years later, I was working for Hustler magazine. I write for Larry Flint occasionally, and I was writing a story about this case, and I requested information through the Freedom of Information Act in Georgia, and I requested information regarding the case, and it went to the to the I sent it to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, and then in some mysterious way, it wound up on the desk my request of the Speaker of the Georgia House. He then took to the floor of the Georgia Legislature and condemned me and Larry Flint. First time I've ever been in such good company and I and I had completely forgotten that Larry had been shot in Georgia, and so he's always had a very problematic relationship with the state, and as soon as they saw his name, they went ballistic on both of us. And so what occurred was that they within maybe one month of that occurring, in March of twenty ten, they rushed through the Georgia legislature some legislation called, I think it's called the Meredith Emerson Memorial Act, which made it or rather it stopped journalists and anyone else from gaining access to certain crime team photos, to certain crime reports, and so they basically shut down and from that point onward, journalists had to rely on what was given out by the state in the Georgia end of the case, and that's what occurred. And I might add that the law was passed ex post facto, which of course means that it was after the fact. So they said that what I did in requesting the information was against the law, when of course it wasn't at the time. And so the information that came out of the State of Jews was dribs and drabs, and it was whatever they wanted us in the media to get. And I wasn't the only one. I was not the only one. This was everybody else, both in the national and the international media. So if you were if you, for example, were calling from the Canadian Broadcasting Service and you asked for this information, they would deny it to you. And that, I might add, is atypical for most of the United States, most of in most of the United States, it's it's it's not that difficult to get this information. But as they said, this is what they decided to do in Georgia, and the law stands on the books, and so I'm I'm partially responsible for them shutting down on some of us. So I guess that might incur the wrath of some of my fellow journalists. But all I was doing was doing my job. And the kicker to the story is that at the time Larry canceled the article, so I didn't even get paid. I mean, and you understand that, and I'm sure other people do. I mean, especially you know, when you're struggling through a recession like everybody else. Why why didn't they cancel the article? Well, it turned out that.
Speaker 3: What I didn't know was that with Lucky Lancelots you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 6: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 2: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 6: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you lucky for free.
Speaker 3: Lucky Landslots dot com Dagley bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Locky Team plus terms and conditions of applack Sea website for details.
Speaker 2: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 5: Laundry club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumba casino to chum. That's right, chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumbacasino dot com plus firs the conditions of Blue West I Retails.
Speaker 5: Larry was in the process of trying to get crime scene photos and again he had filed freedom of information and it was involving a wrestler named Chris Vanoit, and Vanoit had killed his family and then himself in what was later judged to be a steroid rage. And this was in Fulton County, Georgia, which is the Atlanta area, and Larry was trying quite rightly according to the law, to get photos and he was planning on running them in the magazine. And Hustler does quite a bit of good journalism and he wanted to run that with with a story. However, they were denying him these photos. And what I didn't know I just blundered right into it was that this was happening at the same time as I'm requesting the photos of the Emerson crime scene. And the next thing you know, Dan, I'm getting condemned, and you can look this up on the web, folks. I'm getting condemned for wanting to publish pictures of the headless corpse and that was never the case. And so in order to stop the bad publicity that I was getting and these individuals in Georgia from condemning me, I wrote an Atlanta Journal constitution on that piece, in which I explained what I was trying to do was deduce what Gary's m O was, what Gary Hilton's m was, to see if I could tie him into other crimes and to understand what this guy was doing, because that's what our job is, to understand it and to report it. And I was lucky enough to be able to publish that piece for the newspaper, and that curtailed, at least at the time, the criticism toward me. But it was a very very very difficult situation for me personally, and not to mention the fact that I kept getting all these phone calls in the Georgia Press on my cell phone and I didn't have unlimited minutes, and the next thing you know, I got the big cell phone bill. So it was a very very very difficult situation for a while. Until I got to write the book, and that really helped a lot.
Speaker 7: Yes, and it's the great book, Two Trails of f You know the thing that sort of you don't downplay in the book, and I can see why, but at least in terms of this is interesting to a lot of people at the outset of this case, Gary Michael Hilton. We have not even gone into the torture van and we will get into a few things here in just a little bit when we revisit some of these content that was cool Man, Yeah, well, you know, got be dramatic. I like that, Dan cool speaking of speaking of dramatic because we spoke about in the last interview and I'm not really sure if you you applauded me from my perspective on on say, uh, you know, murder and the capital punishment, and we won't get back into the of course, I just don't agree with the death penalty. But the thing is that you spoke about was that Gary Michael Hilton had an accident later in life that almost you describe it as being scalped, and so he had this head injury, get some type of accident, and you speak about that should have been factored in to the case itself, and that should have been seriously considered, and especially when you say, you know, sixty one years old, never violent before, and then all of a sudden he turns into this vicious serial killer, decapitating and taking off hands. What I wanted to talk about was is the Hollywood movie script that he submitted, or the at least idea for the script. Tell us more about that. I think that's fascinating that this person would be actually have this movie actually happen and be out on a release, and basically years later in the area that he described in this fictional story about being in Georgia, he is convicted a charge and convicted of murder that actually happened in Georgia. So tell us more about this deadly run and his flirtation with Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Sure, and not only I'll preface this by saying this is extremely timely because I don't I don't know if we got into his appeal when I spoke to you last, but good well, it enters into his appeal and very immediately. So let me explain what happened in the nineteen nineties. Gary and I call him Gary because I feel like I know him, and in writing the book, I got friendly with and I became friends with Dino Scorfani, who is his childhood friend from Highley of Florida. So and Dino took me around and he showed me all the places where they grew up. Well prior to that, when Gary was seven, a murphy bed fell on his head and scalped him, literally leaving him with frontal brain lobed damage that would not be diagnosed until he was arrested for these crimes. So we take it forward now into the nineteen nineties. Gary is a former Vietnam veteran. He was actually in the European Theater. Well, it wouldn't be the European Theater at that point, but it was in the nineteen sixties and Gary Michael Hilton, the future serial killer who literally had his finger on the nuclear trigger. The United States government had deployed handheld nuclear weapons to be fired at the East Germans if they came over the horizon in West Germany. Larry was one of those guys in what was known as the Davy Crockett Platoon. Now he winds up, he winds up getting out of the service after he has a schizophrenic, nervous breakdown. So now we've got two positive factors here, Dan, We've got that, we've got brain injury, and there's also something else which I talk about in the book. And so he winds up in the nineteen nineties. He's a con man and he runs various kinds of scams, usually involving something along the lines. It could be anything from selling magazines to homesiding or whatever it might be. And he gets arrested on some very minor misdemeanor charge in Atlanta, the Atlanta area, and he becomes friends with a man named Samuel Rail who is an attorney, and sam Rail is producing low budget films. Direct the video and Gary comes up with the idea and what we call it's what we would call the story in the movie business, and he comes up with the story for Deadly Run. And Deadly Run is about a man from Atlanta who takes beautiful girls into the distant woods, lets them go, hunts them down, and kills them. And guess what Gary takes takes Rail to this area in Georgia where he will later kill Meredith Emerson, and this is where they shoot this film in that area. So Gary writes this, Yeah, he writes the story and what happens is instead of usually if you write a story for a movie, you get stored it says story by and then screenplay by. But apparently there was some sort of a deal you know all above BOYD where Gary just decided to take the money and so his name does not appear on the film. But mister Rail has confirmed many many times in print that Gary is the dude that wrote the story. Well, this is where I think it gets very interesting here because of what you talked about earlier regarding the death penalty. During the trial which I of Cheryl Dunlap's murder in Florida, it's a death penalty trial. It's the first time, Dan, that I've ever sat through that kind of a trial. I'd never sat in on a death penalty case before, and I have to tell you that it was it was heartbreaking to me. I might have been the only one in the courtroom that I felt that way, but that's the way I felt, you know. And I'm being honest with you and with the listeners. I don't like to sit there and watch the person condemned to death. Sorry, it just doesn't you know, it doesn't work for me, especially when I knew this was a serial killer that was made. He wasn't born that way. Well, listen to this during the trial. At one point during the sentencing phase, the expert witness for the state testifies about Hilton creating the story for the movie. Okay, and this is the expert witness for the state, and he claimed that this was an example as I recall of Hilton's psychoses. Well, at that point, the defense attorney pointed out, Hey, this is true. The guy really did this. He made film into reality. Well, Hilton gets convicted and he gets sentenced. It took them about an hour and twenty minutes for twelve men and women to condemn him to the death chamber in Florida. That's an automatic mandatory appeal. It was recently heard by the Florida Court of Appeals. And you know what, I couldn't believe it. The Florida Court of Appeals stated that this whole business about the movie never should have been entered into evidence, and they didn't think it was true. They didn't think it was true. And I'm listening, you know, I'm listening to the arguments. You know, these are oral arguments available. You know, you could watch them live online, and I'm going I don't think they got that one right. You know, nobody believes it, but I can't. You know, it's like nobody wants to believe what occurred, and I and it's it's and I think the reason is you don't want to believe that's such a quote unquote monster can exist. And and and that right there is the problem. People don't want to believe that, nor do they want to see the warning signs. Dan, There are always warning signs with these individuals. And if you take as take a look at Hilton's background as I did in Tales of Death, what you'll see is you'll see there's a pattern. And it's up to the psychiatrists, social workers, all of these individuals. They're the ones who are supposed to be following this dude. But that doesn't happen. And that's what what's what's unfortunate, not just in this case, but in many other cases. I mean, you know, stop me at any point, okay, because you know me, I'll just go on and on.
Speaker 7: Well, what I wanted to what I wanted to ask you, is that being a big student of the law, basically watching it and hearing decisions and studying decisions. To a certain degree, we talk about at least in for all intentsive purpose, we're talking about an intent to murder is diminished if someone is like in this country, we talk about self induced intoxication reducing criminal responsibility, but when we're talking about insanity, you could say insanity or not criminally responsible because they didn't have the intent to commit the crime. Because they were insane, they were not of their right mind. They were acting out of character. And you're talking about a man that acted out of character now to rebut that, to.
Speaker 5: Argue with you, to a.
Speaker 7: Certain degree, the movie really shows a lot of calculation. He fantasized. He certainly knew how he fictionalized something was convincing enough to a movie maker and was made into a movie. To some kind of certain degree. Absolutely, that would be that would sound like somebody is very calculating, since he set this fictional hunting ground in Georgia and he did kill in Georgia, like you had mentioned. The other thing is that some of the things we talked about the torture van, we just alluded to it. But he had all this weaponry and a way of sub doing somebody in that van. A lot of the things he did decapitation, hands removed, So a lot of people would argue that there's all this calculation, there's all of this planning, there is all of this evading the law. How do you answer to that in terms of not criminally responsible due to some form of organic and you know, brain trauma here or brain damage. So let me about that.
Speaker 5: No, that's a great question. That's why I love coming on with you because you get me to think, ah, well, a couple of things. There's no question we're talking premeditation, right, there's no question about it. The the the ultimate Well, there's no question we're talking premeditation. And especially when we talk about the the what what he does post death to these two individuals. The reason that he that he that he takes off the head and and in one case the hands, is is to hinder identification. And you know what, in Florida, he was so successful that they could never say for sure that that the bones they recovered were Sheryl Dunlaps. They couldn't even make a d N a d N A profile because what he did was he took the bones and he burned me and it burned them. So there's no question that we're dealing with somebody who commits premeditated murder and certainly thinks it out, uh well, which you know extensively. What you're getting at, Dan, is this you're not You're not asking the question, it seems to me about whether he's You're you're certainly asking the question is he responsible? And of course the answer is yes. But the question really is should the individual be condemned to death? Should the individual in eight in in the you know, we could take Robert Picton? Did I say his name correctly? Yep? Yeah, Robert Picton as an example, should be individual? I mean, and there's a guy who killed people and and the and the bodies wound up in the food supply and the food should should should we as a state, And when I say we, I mean be it Canada, be it the United States or wherever? Should we as a state execute individuals for premeditated murder? And and should we execute if there is some sort of diminished capacity as we've been discussing, and well the thing and you know, and and and that that's those are really good questions, and those are the kinds of questions that we've all been been grappling with for the last two hundred years.
Speaker 7: Well, if there is justice, then there is no there's going to be no one that is deemed worthy of the death penalty or not worthy of the death penalty. There you would therein would lie the problem. Therein lies in justice. Right there. It's just like the better the lawyer you have. If you have a million dollars a month for ten lawyers, you get OJ's defense. If you don't, well what kind of Diffe's true?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 7: The other thing is is that it's unfair to the entire judicial system. If you think geez, jail is punishment, We're gonna stick a drug dealer in there for fifteen years to teach him, for him to learn a lesson, to be separated from society, apparently, but we're going to kill a guy. We're going to execute a guy that may even want to die. I think jail isn't I think in prison has to prison itself is the punishment, the separation from society, you know, the denunciation from society. And if that isn't enough, then it should be enough, and it certainly is for every other crime. So and again, if only some people are deemed worthy of the death penalty at a certain age for a certain amount of crimes. Then and then there is a variance. There is there is not uniformity throughout the United States.
Speaker 5: So damn You're You're extremely eloquent. You've made the probably one of the most eloquent arguments I have ever heard against capital punishment. And I would offer this, I would go back into American criminal history, which I'm more familiar with. There was a very thing, and I wrote about this in one of my books, The Historical Atlas of American Crime. It's a very famous case. Leopold and Loebe. They were called the thrill killers of the nineteen twenties. They abducted and murdered a twelve year old boy for kicks. That was the only reason they did it, just for kicks. And their defense attorney with Clarence Darrow, the famous defense attorney, probably the most famous defense attorney in our history. And here's what happened. Darrow did something that is absolutely brilliant. This occurred in Illinois where they had the death penalty, and Darrow pled him guilty. To begin with, he went right to the sentencing phase, and he decided to go right before the judge and plead for their life, and Darrow's argument was that how far have we come from Biblical times when people would get stoned If what we're going to do is take two twenty one year olds and throw their lives away in the electric chair, when the punishment enough is to put them in jail for life, and he argued, is it possible, Is it possible for a soul to be redeemed? And well, yeah, I know. It became the basis for Bookal Compulsion, which was later a movie. And what makes it so interesting is this, I didn't even know this as a kid. Nathan Leopold survived into the nineteen fifties, and so when he was an older man in the late fifties, he was paroled. This thrill killer was paroled. He went to Puerto Rico and he became a research scientist and he lived there very peacefully until his death in the nineteen seventies, which I'm astonished at because I was around and I don't remember hearing anything about him. During World War Two, we upolled volunteered to be a test subject for various kinds of vaccine scientists were trying to perfect to help our soldiers in the Pacific theater of operation who were being exposed to various kinds of diseases. So now here's a question if Nathan Leopold didn'ts did guide in the electric chair and wasn't used as a human guinea pig, is it possible that some soldiers who later got a vaccine he tested would have died? I mean, isn't it isn't It doesn't one life affect another. And so I mean, you know, most times we don't get this philosophical because it gets so emotional when we're talking about about crime and death. And and look, if it was my child, I mean I would I would kill the guy and take the penalty of being honest, you know, unlike Michael Ducacus in nineteen eighty eight. But that's another story. And I just feel that the death penalty not only doesn't it work, it's too expensive. And these individuals, you are so right, then they just want to die, many of them, because they've led such lousy lives. We're releasing them from their from their their own personal terror by killing him, put him in jail, keep the lights on all day. They'll go schizophe it. In three years, you'll get what you want. You'll get your revenge. We'll put him into you know what'll put him into the general population. Somebody will kill him. It inevitably happens, you know, don't make a mistake. Does anybody in their right mind to think that if O. J. Simpson wasn't segregated in his Nevada prison, he would be he would be alive. I'm sorry, he'd be dead. Somebody would take him out so they could say that they killed the guy that killed you know, that that killed this murderer. And if OJ wants to sue me for saying that, go ahead and do it make my day punk.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, and the thing is that the people that are in prison live every day with who knows, and so they have that fear hanging over their head. And so certainly, maybe not exactly the same kind of terror they inflicted on their innocent victims, but certainly a certain kind of terror for the rest of your life. I don't know if anybody's really comfortable any of these killers, like you say, somebody might just just the way the thing works, you know, might just want to kill him just to have their own infamy.
Speaker 5: So you're right, I'll spin it another way. I actually found a couple of years ago. Five years ago, I was doing research on a book that didn't come to be, and I found an innocent man for the first time in my life in prison. His name is Raymond Gray. He's in prison in Michigan. He's been there for forty years for a murder he didn't commit.
Speaker 7: Forty years are How are you so certain?
Speaker 5: Because we have an affidavit from the real bad guy where he confesses that's number one, number two Gray. There was no motive, there was no means, there was no opportunity, and he had witnesses to say he was someplace else. And we have the real bad guy and we're working right now. I'm part of a group to get him out, and we're hoping to get him out either later this year or early next year. And the other thing was I was able to show through forensics that he couldn't have committed the crime. Ray is. The guy that was killed was a drug dealer who is over six feet tall. He was shot through the shoulder from behind, and Raymond Gray is about five feet seven. If he stands on his tiptoes, how does a guy who's five feet seven standing on his tiptoe shoot a guy from on top doesn't work. So between that the affidavit from the real bad guy saying that he did it and that he worked with his partner in doing it, we know that ray didn't do it. And the irony here is that Raymond Gray is one of the greatest African American artists in the United States. He's become a great artist before behind prison walls. And the reason I'm mentioning it is because first he shouldn't be there, but second, it's so difficult to even get anybody to talk about this any publicity because people don't want to know Dan then an innocent man is in jail. They want to know the system works, just like they want the bad guy like a Gary Hilton to sit down in the electric chair and be electrocuted. It's a lot easier to do that than to deal with the reasons behind these things. I mean, if we dealt with the reasons behind these things, these crimes, if we dealt with what makes a serial killer in a case like Gary Hilton, we could have stopped it. People would be alive. But that didn't happen, and that's what we hurt. Trust.
Speaker 7: How could we have stopped it? Who could have you say that the psychologists is a psychiatrist. Take us back to where that where that juncture would have been. You say he was in Vietnam. Uh, tell us when this would have happened that somebody would have intervened in? How could they have intervened?
Speaker 5: And how sure? Oh boy, I love you, I love you? You man? You asked them best questions. All right, well I'll take you back even further. I'll take you back to when the dude is he's he's fourteen years old? Is okay? So this is he's he has brain injury. Gary has the brain injury when he's seven. He has a problematic relationship with his mother. So far, you know, there's no excuses here, right, I mean, it is what it is. But get this, he's fourteen, he picks up he picks up a gun and he shoots his stepfather. Okay, yeah, he's hospitalized in a psychiatric hospital. Okay, I got a question, guys, did you follow him? You hospitalize this dude? Any any shoes? It's his stepfather. I mean that's violent, that's violent for today. In the nineteen sixties, it was unheard of, and he was fourteen. Yes, and wait a minute, he gets better. So now when he gets to be about sixteen going on seventeen, he volunteers for the United States Army. Oh I'm sorry. Would somebody please explain to me why it is you didn't check out the dude and't find out what he did, or did you check it out and say he'd be a great candidate? And who decided to take a guy who was in a psychiatric hospital and put his finger on the nuclear trigger because that's the way it was. I mean, they had hand held nukes. They were like mortar fired and they put this guy's finger on it. Okay, fine, you know what happens then, like I said, he winds up going schizo in the army. Does anybody follow him? No? Not, as far as I know, we could find out any of this. And the and the kicker on all of this is nobody seems to care. I mean a trial, they introduced most of this evidence. Nobody seemed to care because the crime was so horrific, And so it gets lost. And as that gets lost, Dan, that means that the next time around it's going to get lost again and again and again, and the possibility and nobody goes back and says, Okay, who is responsible for this? Nobody takes any responsibility for any of this stuff. I mean, that's the problem as far as I'm concerned, because nobody responsibility. Yeah, I think that you know that.
Speaker 7: The answer to that question that I had was, when he's fourteen and he shoots his stepfather, not only should he have been hostilized, should have been put in some kind of incarceration as well. Tell us what the the analysis that diagnosis was at that time, and and how long was he in a in a hospital setting, and what what form of therapy, if any, did he receive?
Speaker 5: Again another great question. The answer is number one, we can't. I can't get the records for a lot of different reasons, not the least of which he was a minor. What we do know is the general outline of it is, oh, he was hospitalged for all of about six months. That's it. He was given some sort of medication. There's some evidence he was given authorizin but very briefly, and then but sees and the pattern continued. Here's what happens. He gets now, he gets out, and then his mother besides I don't want him around owned and ships him off to a neighbor for a year, and you know why. But he prospered during that year with the neighbor. That's what's interesting, because he was in a loving environment, which he did not have in his home. And during the trial, what was so fascinating was that his aunt, who was from Argentina because his stepfather was Gary is from here, but the mother remarried an Argentinian and so his father's sister, who would be his aunt, came into the courtroom and it was the only time that Gary smiled. He looked at her. He hadn't seen it, probably in thirty five years, and you could see the sympatico between them, and she testified that the mother was never loving to the son. Now I'm not trying to make this simplistic court make any excuses. I mean, this man committed terrible, terrible crimes. But what I'm saying is why didn't this system that was set up to do something about this do something about it. Why didn't that you just mentioned something, you said, incarceration, You know what, it might have saved the life. Supposing they did incarcerate him for a while, it might have saved the life in some way. That kind of intervention it's hard to say. But the thing is this, this book, and this guy blew a part of all of my notions about serial killers. I mean I never expected to find a serial killer that was made. I always thought they were born with some a barren gene. Well maybe there are some, but not this guy. This guy was made. And you know what else, when he was in high school, this guy was like he was he's a professional musician, he was a drummer. People liked him. And it wasn't you know, he wasn't modeling behavior. I mean, this is something that happened over a period of time, and that's what That's why when he finally was condemned to death, I'll be honest, but what am I going to do? Why I was? I I cried, Okay, I cried. I cried because all I can think about was this young man who had all of these capabilities. And the guy, by the way, he's got a genius IQ in the high or twenties, so he had a lot of opportunity. And if the chips had fallen differently, we're not having this conversation and four people are alive, and so that's what's propelled me to continue on the case and try to answer certain questions that remains semed unanswered, because it's just too damn easy for people not to accept responsibility for their actions, and you know, they need to accept responsibility for their actions, especially when human lives hang in the balance.
Speaker 7: Now we haven't spoken about it, and we're talking about a couple elderly couples, and then we talk about a much younger woman. Yes, and these are very very innocent people. I mean, we spoke about that last time. If he ever was innocent people to pick on, and these really were. Now what I always think, and because I don't know either, it's the age old question, and I think that's all our listeners and people that read true crime and the people that write true crime are always wondering is a genetic are they made? Is it the environment? What creates this kind of abearance, this kind of mutation in the human form here this serial killer?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 7: Maybe when you talk about the the the genius, I q that a lot of these guys really are kind of bright. And with those a lot of the guys that are really bright are are lust killers as well? Yes, And not that I've done the stats or anything, but is it maybe that some people throughout history have wanted to experience the ultimate taboo, something that no one else does. Is this something? I mean, obviously these other psycho psycho psychological problems are present, but it isn't it ultimately that these people understand what line they're crossing and still choose to go there yet in a dark area?
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, they do understand it. That's that's been my experience. I mean, I've had the occasion to write I never intended to, but it's just worked out that way. As serial killing has become much more common in the millennium and leading into the millennium, I would I would say that, yes, that what serial killers enjoy, and I would include mister Hilton in this category, is they enjoy controlling the moment of death. They get a kick out of it, and many of these individuals, I wouldn't put Hilton in there, but many of them certainly get a sexual thrill out of it, and they also get a tremendous thrill out of using their intellects. And they're not you know, they're not all geniuses, but they have a feral instinct certainly to avoid detection, and they definitely do enjoy playing that cat and mouse game with the police. And we see that time and time again, don't we. I mean, how many times? Do I mean? Look at you? Look at Hilton. Hilton is a great example. Look at you know he doesn't get captured because of great police work. You know this is this is not you know. I mean, I think most of your listeners know that it showed like Criminal Minds is fiction, that the FBI has never caught a serial killer. I think they know that. You know, there's no such thing as Hannibal Lecter, you know, I mean, I'd say Anthony Hopkins in the street. He didn't look anything like Hannibal Lector to me.
Speaker 4: But but but.
Speaker 5: With somebody like like Gary Hilton, he enjoyed the cat and mouse game until until he after he kills Meredith Emerson in Georgia, and it's his last murder. He doesn't He could have gotten right on the road in his van and driven any place he wanted to go, and he would have been free, because though they knew who he was, Gary was certainly smart enough. He'd already switched a life in the van. He could he could have abandoned the van, stalln a car or whatever, But you know what happened. He drove down off the mountain where he killed her. He pulls into a gas station and broad daylight, and he starts bleaching the rear of the car, the rear of the van out to get rid of the evidence. Now Gary knew better than that. He knows, he knows that bleach is not going to cover anything up. He did it because he wanted to get caught. He was tired of the cat and mouse game. We see this time and time again that they play this game. They control the moment of death, and when they've gotten their kick out of it and they're tired of it, they just give up and they and they let the police capture them. We see again it's time and time again. Very few, I mean, there's very few cases where the cops actually trap the dude down.
Speaker 7: What what was the circumstances or what was the evidence that Gary Hilton knew that the police knew that he decided to, like you say, give up. It's interesting that your conclusion there, It makes a lot of sense. But what was the evidence that the police had at that time that convinced Gary Hilton that the gig was up?
Speaker 5: Oh? Well, Gary Gary is a very avuncular sort. Gary, like many of these individuals. That's another thing we find with serial killers, as you know, and as many of the listeners do, which is they talk a lot and so and Gary talks about anything. And I mean, I'd love to get in the room and talk to him, but I've been denied that opportunity. But I'll pay you. Gary himself said that what occurred was that when he came off the mountain after killing Meredith, he saws picture on the front page of the local newspapers. He knew they were looking for him by that, and that they they they knew twenty four hours before Meredith died who they were looking for. They knew exactly who they were looking for. So when he saw the newspaper, he didn't high tail it for the hills, or get on a plane or whatever the case might be, or drive north, you know, to ken A bunk Port, you know, and say loo to George W. Bush. Not that's how I got that in there. What he decided to do was he said, I'm just going to clean out my van. Well, let me see if I get this straight. Gary, he pictures on the front page. It's on the news. It's daylight and you're cleaning out your van in a in a shopping center and a front full view of people who you know, what do you think happened? Somebody saw him and call the cops. That's how they got him. And you know what when they when they arrested him, I thought, all of us in the press, what that they arrest them? You know, and we figured, Okay, they're arresting them, and they're going to hold them for killing Meredith? Right right?
Speaker 7: Wrong?
Speaker 5: Remember the outstanding federal warrant. Yeah, that's how they hold them. Well initially sure, yeah, but except that if it wasn't in the database, how they find out about it? That got to read the article. But seriously, that's what happens. They hold them because they hold them because of the of that warrant. And then they later drew up and put the papers. And by the way, Dan, I never saw a case adjudicated. I mean, this is this is a serial killer. You know that within ten days they had a plea agreement with the guy. Within ten days the guy they had they had signed sealed, delivered life with parole, and he was on his way to Florida to stand trial and The reason for that is what we talked about earlier, which is the death tunnel. Will Georgia has it, Florida has a fast track on it. And so the idea was to get him into Florida, to try him there and put him into the into the electric chair or the death chamber or whatever they want to call it right now.
Speaker 7: And he was relatively cooperative with this. He didn't fight this, really did he No. Got an addition, Yeah, now let the lens creed the credence to this idea that he might have wanted that death penalty.
Speaker 5: So you know, well, you know what he said, and he said on the tape one of the taped interviews. I mean, if you watch the taped interviews, I think they would probably be chilling to a lot of people that don't understand the guy because he's sitting there with his lex cross describing everything he did. And he goes, yeah, I let him master dive me to Florida. You know what he says that look ahead, extra dive me. I don't really care. He says, you know it's going to take you fifteen or twenty years to execute me, and by that time, you know, I'm going to be a really old man, so you know, do whatever you're going to you want to do. That's what he and for that reason he wouldn't cooperate. He would have given him. See that's the other thing, if they were willing to make a deal. Now think about this for a second. They knew, well I shouldn't say they knew they had these bones, hand bones and skull bones, but they couldn't make a DNA match, and so they couldn't say for certain that this was the dead woman. Now they did have They eventually had some blood evidence that they were able to find which did tie him in to Cheryl Dunlap in Florida, but it was never one hundred percent positive that those bones were Cheryl's. So here's the question. If you're the family, you want to make a deal so that he tells you the truth. Would you want to live the rest of your life and not knowing for certain? On her gravestone On Cheryl's gravestone, I went to her grave, it doesn't say the date of death because they don't know the date of death. She's got kids. Those kids have to live with death for the rest of their lives, and their families and their family families. So what's it worth to you to have? Is is revenge worth lack of closure? And right now, as far as what's happening in Fara, because of other aspects of this case, this is a good possibility they're gonna commute his death sentence. So now what happens if they commute his death sentence, You're gonna you'll never get Not only are you denied the opportunity for revenge, you don't get the final answer if that really is Cheryl Dunlap. Sure, it's Cheryl Dunlap, well ninety nine point nine percent sure based on circumstance, But that did wouldn't you like to know how it happened? Wouldn't you like to know the day it happened? So you've got the closure once in for all. I don't know, well I would.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's incredible. I just handled the case a few weeks ago, and was the families got together and said listen, or at least a couple of the victim's families got together and said, we'd just like to give this guy life because he would be able to testify admit to all the things that he did. And the prosecutor refused, So there is a thirst for revenge, I think. But when we talked about we went last time and we had a very very controversial hour before we talked about trails of death, and we've talked politics. The only thing I want to say about politics is that that's why you have this thirst for revenge a lot of times, because it is definitely all tied up in politics.
Speaker 5: Oh you know, isn't that a great point? I mean, I mean, what happens if you take it out of the equation. I mean, let's just talk, you know what I mean, you guys did it right? Well?
Speaker 7: No, But I think the thing is American states like Illinois as has abolished it. And I think just the the the wrongful convictions, the cost, especially in a recession, in tough times, and and you know, people thinking more rationally about it. I think too less there's less desire for the death penalty. But there's these other major factors like how many wrongful convictions, how many people are working in the pursuit like yourself, And I want to applaud you for your efforts too to get this mister Gray out of prison. Is that there's so many people with so much, you know, really really good evidence that the prosecutors are really just it's a matter of ego. They don't want to go back there. They don't want to admit they made a major problem, like that made a major mistake, and a mistake is too nice a word. Basically, when someone spends forty years of their life in prison for something they didn't do. So I applaud you to that, But I think what will happen. I think what will happen is that the people have to demand and the people voice their opinion, and what you'll have is you'll have the law changing, that's all. And maybe some certain states will be the last to make the change, but certainly it seems that there is less of a desire for it for various reasons. But the good reason is wrongful convictions. That's just seems to be sensible.
Speaker 5: And you know what, when you talk about wrongful convictions, and in ray Gray's case, thank god we're not dealing with the death penalty because Michigan was the first state to outlaw it. But I've heard people make the argument that, well, if somebody is convicted wrongfully of murder executed, they're just the soldier in the battle against crime. And I hear that, and I want to throw up.
Speaker 7: I hope nobody to me.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, you know, it's forget about any you know, No, I won't forget about biblical you know, biblical stuff. I mean, the fact of the matter is, we're supposed to be a people of laws. We're supposed to stand up for what's right. And you're totally correct in standing up for what's right. When you say that, ego gets in the way, and and and prosecutors and and and and and you know, right up the line when it becomes when the death penalty is a political thing, it's not going to be used correctly. There's got to be a better way, and there is a better way, but but people refuse to see it. And I mean, you can you know, you can bargain with serial killers. It's it's happened time and time again. What do you think Gary cooperated in Georgia because they said we're gonna give you life with parole. They knew he wasn't going to get out, So what were they giving up. They were giving up nothing in order to solve the case, at least as far as their concerned.
Speaker 7: Well, I think, you know, as we wrap up this program, I would like to just say that I think the issue with people is that they have seen people imprisoned then released, put sentence to mental institutions, released, then re offended. So that is the nightmare that somebody Again when we talk about responsibility, who's responsible when that happens, exactly, And so that's what some of these people are saying as well. Or the person that had numerous offenses, numerous violence, violent offenses and they weren't recognized by the law previously. So I can see everybody's point, but I do think that the tide will turn because of just runful conviction and the price tag and people waiting twenty years for death row. Anyway, like you say, some states are much quicker, but none of them are very quick really, so none.
Speaker 5: Of them are very quick, absolutely right, And I agree with what you're saying also about when an individual commits a crime, serves their time in jail, and then they get out and the recidivius who takes the responsibility. I totally agree with that. But then again, you know, then you have to take a look at what it is that they're learning when they're in prison. I mean, what is it? You know, what is pretty you know what is it about? I mean that gets into a whole other discussion.
Speaker 7: Well, life without the possibility of parole doesn't mean that that really is throw away the key because rehabilitation of what for what purpose? So life without the possibility of parole I like that type of sentence. Everybody's happy, they're never getting out, They're going to die in prison, and we're we're still a good society that's willing to take care of them and give them three squares a day and give them and protect them as much as we possibly can, which is something that they didn't afford their victims.
Speaker 5: So which shows that we are of a higher nature, doesn't it. I think so.
Speaker 7: I think I think we can at least afford them that because prison is no you know, no picnic. I'm watching some programs, so I think everybody knows that if they had any idea of prison being some kind of you know, spa health camp, that I think that's been the spelled. So if that isn't enough, you know, a twelve by eight cell for the rest of your life with the threat of death, I think that I think.
Speaker 5: Sure enough, sure, sure, I agree with everything that you're saying.
Speaker 7: Anyway, Fred, I want to thank you very much for coming on, and we'll have to keep us abreast of what's going on, and I think people you pique the people's interest to keep a close mind on Gary Michael Hillton and all the developments and very very interesting story. Like you say, there's so much stuff online. It was very interesting to talk about the Hustler controversy as well, and very very interesting. So and the book that if people were listening to is the program is Trails of Death Gary Michael Hilton, with my special guest Fred Rosen. So thank you very much. Fred. I hope to talk to you soon with your new project and the best of luck and.
Speaker 5: Best of luck with your book as well. Of course you're a terrific writer.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you, Fred, thank you very much. I can't I got to have you on just for all those compliments.
Speaker 5: It's my pleasure. You take care of yourself, and I hope the listeners are well.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, Fred, have a good evening you too. Good night much