Speaker 1: We are here with America center fielder brand new Dodger Kevin Kiirmeyer. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciated.
Speaker 2: Thank you thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I mean, after gain to know me for the first few minutes, I feel like I'm very thankful that you decided to agree to this.
Speaker 2: You asked me to be available here, I am, Yes.
Speaker 1: You are, and you've been available for the Dodgers. How refreshing or rejuvenating has been on this team been for you?
Speaker 2: It's been great. They pumped life to me, honestly, coming to a winning atmosphere, this is what you want to be around. And for me, this is just put pep in my step and uplifted me to be quite honest, and I feel like the best I've felt all year. So this is the atmosphere you want to be around. So I'm pumped and I just want to, you know, keep showing these guys what I can do.
Speaker 1: Is that something tangible. We always talk about the numbers in the game, but just coming from where you were to being in a pennant race and a team that has championship as inspirations, I'm sure, like you said, it's big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, winning, winning is fun and it just it brings the best out of everyone. And in Toronto this year, we weren't winning as much as we wanted, and you know, our season was was kind of over by the deadline. And here I am just the matter of a trade put me in a in a losing atmosphere to a winning atmosphere, and and what a dream to be a part of this great organization with these guys. They treat me great and make me feel like I belong and I'm a part of this. So once again, I just want to give them my best. Play hard as I can each and every day, go out there and play go glove defense and do whatever I can help the team win.
Speaker 1: We always see the highlight plays like last night, but can you take us inside how you're able to make those plays? I mean, obviously athleticism is a big part of it, but I'm sure there's a lot more into you being able to get the jumps that you do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Just uh, you know, I've been doing it for a long time and I feel like I prepared the right way throughout my whole career to put myself in these positions to make these plays. And you know, yesterday I was long tossing with Clayton arm was ready to go and got an opportunity there in the first thing to let it eat a little bit, and it made a huge play. And you know, I dream of those opportunities, so I know what I need to do. Come in this field each and every day once again, prepare, envision all these plays happening whenever seven o'clock happens, and I have those plays present to me. I just want to execute and make those plays and you know, create momentum for the team anyway I can.
Speaker 1: Kavin, how important is visualizing making plays like that or coming up with a big bass sit? When do you start doing that.
Speaker 2: Every day in the off season spring trend every day. I told the guys a couple of days ago, I said, I'm gonna make a great play in left center one of these four days. And and I'm not starting today, so I don't know if I'll actually have the opportunity. But you get like feelings like that and and and and the game works in mysterious ways and those things end up happening. But uh, I don't know. It's just like you have a I go out there when I when I take center field, I just have a certain mentality and a mindset. But I'm thinking about stuff at the hotel before I get to the field. And uh, you just always want to be prepared and ready for any possible outcome. And and uh, you know that's a huge part of it.
Speaker 1: You always hear about pictures having to evolve in their careers. How have you evolved from where you were, say, even five years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, I said years ago, I want to age like a fine wine. And there's times where I feel like I have and there's other times where I feel the farthest thing from that. But I don't know. Every year is has been different throughout my whole career. Uh. You know, me coming over here, I know my role. I'm gonna hit at the bottom of the order and I'm gonna just try to get on base and let show Hey and Moki and Freddie and all these these big boys drive me in and gonna go try to run the bases and create havoc out there and once again play Gold Globe caliber centerfield defense. Uh that's what I'm at. So that's what I need to evolve to right now. And Uh, once again, like knowing your role is is have to battle and I know what they expect me to do. I know what I expect out of myself, and this is so fun, so exciting for me, and I just want to give them the best I got.
Speaker 1: I've loved watching you have unselfish at bats or understanding what the team needs in a certain situation. Do you believe that's contagious?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Uh, in a way, but not everyone UH has We have a We have a bunch of boppers on this team. So for me, if I need a sack bunt to get someone in scoring position for show Hey right behind me or Mokie, Uh, that just puts us in a better position, and uh increases our chances of scoring. So contagious and in some ways, but with the way our lineup is constructed, there's just certain guys asked to do certain things. Show Hey is you know, he's not asked to hit homers, but everyone kind of expects him to do crazy stuff up there. And you know, I'm like a table setter at the bottom of the order, And I got no problem with that at all. I'm skin It's just knowing your role and if I can do that the best I can, then you know, it just makes our lineup that much more dangerous.
Speaker 1: A great understanding of baseball. Kevin Kiermeyer and also the kier Myer families. Baseball lineage does not stop with you. Your brother, Dan ker Meyer is one of the groundskeepers at Wrigley Field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the head guy Wrigley Field. He's been there since twenty fifteen, but head groundskeeper for three or four years now. I don't know off top of my head, but he loves it and he's he's in the big leagues. I'm in the big leagues. I broke in a little bit earlier. But he's got a World Series ring from twenty sixteen. I don't and you know, I hope to catch him here this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopefully so twenty twenty four. Two rings and the keer Meyer family thanks a lot for the time. Really appreciate it. Great to see that beautiful beard in person in HD.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: There is America center fielder Kevin Kiermyer