Speaker 1: The right quiet.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back, Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app back Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Sax and Kate's and am back together again and it feels so good. Good morning, Southern California. Welcome to Scam on this Monday morning, October twenty eighth, twenty twenty four, as your Los Angeles Dodgers. I have a two to nothing lead over the New York Yankees in the twenty twenty four World Series. I am Tim Kates, joined by a two time World Series champion, a Rookie of the Year and one hell of a guy and I'm sitting three feet away from him. He's in studio. He is Steven Sack. Saxy. Good morning, morning, Tim, My God, so good to be with you, So good to see you face with face. It's been way too long, Saxy, it has been.
Speaker 3: But you know what, we're here for a good reason, are we. I mean, it's been a long time, but this brings us together. I was a bit dismayed though, you know, I come into La and uh, you know, I expect a you know, kind of a you know, kind of upper class type of accommodations, you know, when I get here, and you know, I'm saying with the I'm saying with the Kates family, and uh.
Speaker 1: My wife wishes.
Speaker 3: But I'm out there and like this, the futon in the garage, I'm thinking, Tim, come on, at least that is a little guest house or something, you know, a little.
Speaker 1: Just for a while. Yeah. We figured if it's good enough for the dog. His name again is Midi, Midi, Yeah, yeah, Midi. If it's good enough for the dog, it's good enough for Steve Sacks. So I'm just goofing. Great to see you, Saxy. S It is awesome to have you in studio.
Speaker 4: To hear.
Speaker 1: Have you here in southern California. You're gonna be here for the next couple of days, and who knows, maybe even back here in Los Angeles later on this week for a possible Game six if it gets to a Game six. As a Dodgers have a two to nothing series lead in this World series, and it's gone just a script, right, a walk off Grand Slam for Freddie Freeman. We all expected that to happen, a great moment in Dodger history, and then a Dodger for two win on Saturday Night in Game two. I mean, the first two games of this series have lived up to the hype.
Speaker 3: It's been incredible. I mean, you know, the Dodgers hoping, in the best case scenario, of course, to take a two game to nothing lead back to New York and then just finish it out there. I mean, the sentiment right now over all Dodger fans is, we don't we'd love to come back to LA, but we want to come back for a parade, you know what I mean, Let's close the next two out. But you know, these two games have been great. You've had contributions across the board. It hasn't just been the big stars. We talked earlier about how great Munsey has been playing third base. Amazing over there. Like you said, we don't talk about it too much. We don't mention his name. I means he's doing one heck of a job. And it's just been great all the way across the board. So Dodgers trying to obviously, you know, nail this thing down, but I think more than even advertise, you've had contributions from the top, from the bottom, and everybody in the middle.
Speaker 1: The emotions of these first two games, the drama of these first two games have lived up to what we thought was going to be the greatest World Series that we've seen, maybe in our lifetime. And the superstars on display, the role players on display, it has been absolutely fantastic. The Dodgers' bullpen was supposed to be their strengths. Starting pitching not so much. Starting pitching has been really good for the Dodgers and Flaherty and Yamamoto. The dramatics of Game one of the ninth inning with the Freddie Freeman Grand Slam comparisons to Gibbey's home run in nineteen eighty eight, which of course you were there for Game two and ya, I'm a moto start the dramatics of the ninth inning, hanging on with the bases loaded in the ninth inning and getting out of it thanks to Alex Vesia and to have a two zero series lead, and then oh yeah, show, hey, Otani's got a messed up shoulder. We expect him to play in game three. But man, the dramatics of this series have been off the charge. Yes, they have been crazy, and Dodgers expecting him to play. Of course they have a contingency plan if he can't, and we can maybe go through that a little bit later. But nonetheless, they're in a great position right now. They're thinking right now in the locker room is don't think past game three. That's very important not to do. I know it sounds like a cliche, but you can't get out there and think too far. You got to handle what's in front of you now. And that's only game three. We got a lot to get to over the next three hours, and a lot of it has to do with you. In eight sixty six nine eight seven, two five seven, he want you to be a part of the show. In the seven o'clock hour, Doctor David Chow longtime team doctor for the Chargers, is going to join us now an expert, an analyst on injuries and sports. He's gonna join us to talk about show Hey Tawy's shoulder injury and where it kind of ranks as far as severity and kiddie play through it, what are the long term effects of it? And then David Vassay, who's in New York, traveled yesterday with the team to get to NYC. He will join us in the eight o'clock hour against Steve's Keys, we'll hear from Walker Bueller, the game three starter coming up in the eight o'clock hour. What a Friday night. It was a Dodger Stadium saxe. After the pregame show, I drove quickly, did not have any traffic, got there in about fifteen twenty minutes from here at the station in Burbank to Dodger Stadium, pulled into the parking lot, ran inside the stadium, got there in the first inning, and it was a nine inning drama fest from just the emotions of every out, every at bat, the Dodger stranding runners, the Yankees having a couple of opportunities against Jack Flerity and flerity getting out of it. It felt like an up and down you're breathing. It was just in and out. It was emotionally draining. And then you get to the ninth inning and we have this home run call Freddie Freeman bases loaded. What a moments The scenario you dream about. Freddy is living first pitch, swinging high.
Speaker 5: Fly ball, hit deep, Freddie Freeman channeling is inner. Kirk Dison, Oh walk up home run in Game one of the World Theerries, Hey, walk up grand flam. They celebrate, have to play winners six to three.
Speaker 1: All right, there's Steven Nelson right here at a FI seventy LA Sports. What a moment? What it call from Nelly? How about Joe Davison Fox last hits about right folds, Jimmy game Y game seres. All right, there's Joe Davis. Gimme med Freddy. How about the Japanese call of the Freddy Freeman grand slam in the ninth inning on Friday? Puts it, Jax, Tim.
Speaker 6: Monday, hold on, he.
Speaker 2: Came in, kicks it in.
Speaker 1: Hold On, Cion got Syonara. We all know that I know what that is. That's yeah, we know what that is.
Speaker 3: There sounds like there's a bunch of dudes hanging out, just having some food or something in the background.
Speaker 1: Didn't It was just fun. Jad. What a moment it was Friday night at Dodger Stadium. I was on the loads level standing watching the game, sort of behind home played. It happened to be right behind the Yankees Families and Friends section in the load section, And when he hit the home run, I didn't think he got all of it the morse. He couldn't hear it. I couldn't see the trajection of the ball. But it goes out, plays goes crazy. I turn around yelling, I can't believe it. Next thing I know, I'm chess bumping dudes, high fiving guys. Everybody's hugging each other. Dodger Stadium was shaking with the fifty six thousand that were there that moment. Saxy is being compared to nineteen eighty eight. Yes, Kurt Gibson's home run and you on deck. Did it bring back memories?
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, and as big in my estimation. I mean that boat from the perspective of, you know, seeing it at home on TV. The thing about Freddie Freeman, you can see when he sets up in his hands behind his head and his elbows up. He's in a launching position as you should be before the pitch comes. He doesn't set up, you know, once it's on the way, he's already there. His path to the bar ball is extremely short. That's why coming off the bat, I don't know if he got it or not, but if you see it in slow motion, he got extended really quick, and he keeps his hands inside the ball real well.
Speaker 1: And that ball took off like a rocket. I knew as soon as he hit it was gone.
Speaker 3: And you know, Freddy Freeman is the kind of guy that he's not going to raise his bat and have it scraped the wall, you know, you know what I mean, Yeah, that thing's going. And so that was as big a home run as the Gibson home run. I think it was just incredible.
Speaker 1: If the Dodgers go on to win the World Series, this is right up there with ghibbees. Rick Monday's home running Game five Blue Monday NLDS against the Montreal Expos, but the moment down against the Yankees ninth inning or extra what was it extra inning? Extra extra innings, and he hits the whole the Grand slam may mean the things to get to this point, Otani's up pops out, Fordugo catches it, carries it in, and then throws it back from foul territory. So the Runners advanced to second and third a rule. A lot of people are like, what the heck? Why'd they advance? Nobody knew the rule. And then to the decision to walk Mookie Betts to get to Freddie Freeman and want to pitch to Freddy, and Freddy Facesester Cortes and absolutely crushes that ball. All these things have to set up in order to get to this moment, and it worked out.
Speaker 3: Perfect, and a month ago it has to go there there too, because how long has it been since Nestor Cortez is thirty seven days, So we're talking about over a month. We're talking about this setup happening here. And you know what, what'd you think Tim about the decision to walk Freddy Freeman? I mean, look, if Mookie Betts gets up and hits one in the gap, we're gonna say, why did you walk him and pitch to Freddy? I mean it's gonna be the same thing. It's uh, you know, pick your poison on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think one of the lefty lefty matchup. Yeah, and they got it. And that's the bit.
Speaker 3: That's the baseball move, right, that's the right baseball move.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and Nestor Cortes, you know, afterwards, was talking about it. Aaron Bona is getting absolutely destroyed. Yeah, for bringing Nestor Cortez in at that point and going lefty lefty. But Cortez just missed on a pitch and credit to Freddie Freeman said, Freddy didn't miss that and crush it for a Grand Slam. But I mean it's it's so reminiscent of nineteen eighty eight in the home run from Gibbie. But then you have to come back the next day and play a baseball game. Yeah, just like you guys had to come back in nineteen eighty in Game two. But you had Oral herscheizer on the mount in Game two, and it was important for the Dodgers then to have Yamamoto be that star ace pitcher like Oral came out and put up zeros for you guys against the Oakland as they need a Yamamoto to do that, because if you want to lose Game two on Saturday night, what happened Friday night with Freddie Freeman. Doesn't mean anything exactly. Now they got him in a good spot. Hey, definitely not over. In eighty one, we lost the first two games and came back in won four in a row. Can it happen?
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I've seen it happen. I've been on a team that did it, so it can happen. The other thing I was gonna mention to you, Tim, is the question mark about Nesser Cortez. Listen it when they questioned why did you bring him in? If you're gonna ask me that question, why don't you say why is he on the team? Right, He's on the team because you think you can get somebody out. Yeah, I mean let's go back to what to putting him on the.
Speaker 1: Team or not.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you don't think he can get anybody out, don't have me have an option of bringing him in the ball game.
Speaker 1: I mean it's crazy. I mean, just two matters before he gets Otani to pop out on the first pitch that he throws to him. So he does his job there, Yeah, did it all year? Gets out Otani, best hitter in baseball, walk Freeman get to another left hander, they brought him in as a left hander to face these two hitters as specifically. Yeah, for the Yankees, it lined up perfectly. Left on left. We feel good about Cortes, even though he hadn't pitched in a while. Job done against our tani. Okay, we get bets on first. Let's go right after Freeman left you on left. Even Freeman just made him pay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if that ball's you know, if that ball's six inches on the you know, this side of the place where it was supposed to be, but it was supposed to be, we're not having this conversation. But he got it in and Freddy did the one thing that Ted Williams told me Tim. He said, the most important thing in hitting is very simple. And I'm like, going yeah forward, I'm think Ted Williams is gonna tell me a little nugget here, you know, And it was great, very simple and you've heard it before. The most important thing, get a good pitch to hit, don't miss it. Okay, that's what Freddy did. He got a good pitch hit and he didn't miss it. And now they're up two zero eight.
Speaker 1: Sixty six nine eighty seven. Two five seventy is our number a moment that Dodger fans will never forget. On Friday Night in Game one of this World Series, they come back and win Game two on Saturday Night, four to two behind Yoshiyamamoto in three home runs that the Dodgers hit in Game two, surviving in the ninth inning with the bases loaded, Alex Vessi comes in and gets the final out and the Dodgers are now in New York for the Games three, four, and possibly five of this World Series, beginning tonight at Yankee Stadium. We got Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck beginning at four o'clock, first pitch at five oh eight from the Gallpin Motors broadcast booth. It was fun to see the Dodger players afterwards, Saxy the home run hit or the Grand Slam hit. Everybody's mobbing Freddy Freeman just like you guys at eighty eight, mobbing Kirk ge It felt and looked so similar. And then in the moments afterwards, the amount of media they came on the field, ownership of the Dodgers on the field, personnels on the field. For the Dodgers, it was a madhouse along the third base line in between the field and the dugout, and Freddie Freeman's talking to Kenny Rosenthal. Freddie Freeman then talks to David Vasse moments afterwards, and MLB Network's doing their live shots and ESPN's doing their live shots, and everything's happening in the moment. Five minutes later, things didn't calm down. It was still loud, nobody was really leaving, and the players on the field standing around kind of just marveling at what happened. I specifically looked in the Dodger dugout and on the top step was show Hey O Tani and Andy Pojez and Gavin Lux, the guys I could just picture and see right away, and a group of Dodger players They're just sort of just looking at each other and standing there in amazement. They couldn't believe, Yeah, what it just had happen. Usually guys making a fast dash to the clubhouse, want to get out of there as fast as possible, beat the traffic, talk to the media, do all that. People just stood around looking at each other. They couldn't believe it, right, And that's savoring the moment. It's a good thing to do.
Speaker 3: On the other side, I don't understand why the other team sits in the dugout sulking, and we're looking out there, and I guess they wanted everybody to see how deep they are, you know, how much they feel the moment. You know, I mean, you know what, we lost the game like that. I was high tailing it back in the clubhouse, and you know, I wanted to throw something I didn't want to do out in public here, right. So, but they sit there and they look out there like, oh my god, you know, just get get in the dugout, you know, get get in the clubus. But the fact that Dodgers are out there, that's a great thing because they're they're they're reving it up.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Then that's a good thing to do. When you win something, you got to savor the moment, enjoy it. You think about tomorrow later on, but you got to enjoy it right now.
Speaker 1: Do you know who caught that home run ball in right field pavilion on Freddie hit and Freddie hit no a ten year old kid. Nice, Yeah, good for him. I saw it on TV last night. They did a whole story about the family. The mom, the dad, the ten year old were in the right field pavilion. There was a scramble for the ball and the kid sort of like kicked it to his dad or the direction towards his parents because it was a scramble. The dad picked it up and immediately handed it to his son again because he was right there, and the kid got lifted up had the ball in his hand. Wow.
Speaker 3: And now they're talking about the value of this ball. Oh no, really, and it's just got a college scholarship right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean if he keeps that baseball, good for him. He said he wants to get an autographed by Freddie Freeman. And I can kind of look at the parents as the kids talking on TV, and I can see the parents kind of I'm reading their mind, like this is your education, you know, Yeah, you ain't keeping this ball and a car in a house. And the thing go Taani's fifty to fifty ball just got four million dollars at an auction. I mean, I don't think it gets that much, but it could get to seven figures. It's certainly going to get six figures.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, I mean yeah, I mean you never know, in today's market, who knows. I think it could get seven figures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is I mean to think you're going to go to a Dodger game and next thing, you know, you leave the game and you got a baseball, you got seven figures and you're checking it and you.
Speaker 3: Got to wonder when I mean it's you know, how do you prove it was the kid's ball?
Speaker 1: You want to win?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I really caught the ball.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Thank god for video where they can show it. You know, Well, the old tawny ball, you had somebody's sueing the guy who has it, say no, no, no, I had it, but he took it from me. Oh here we go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole thing's stolen from me. Right now, that's not gonna work.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: The good thing is everybody had their phones out. If you go on social media, there's like, you know, one hundred different video cameras. Look at the ball coming into the stands, so you can see who caught it and got it in the moment.
Speaker 3: They're gonna have to write they're gonna have to write some law for what's available for scrambling after the ball. If you touch it first, as it's seventy five percent yours right now, sure, and then if you drop it, does it make it available for everybody else to get and you know, you know, I hate the lawyer part of it, but that's probably coming.
Speaker 1: It's a football scrumb What happens at the bottom of the pile stays at the bottom of the pile. Yeah, And if you come out of the pile at the football or the baseball in this instance, yours, then you get to keep it. Gosh, eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We want you to beat a part of the show. What did you make of Friday nights walk off home run from Freddie Freeman was the Grand Slam? As grand as Kurt Gibson's home run in nineteen eighty eight eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Where were you on Friday night for that Grand Slam? I can tell you right now, with a Dodger stadium with fifty six thousand other Dodger fans, and that place was shaking. It was so loud, and so many people were jumping at Chevez Ravin eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Next hour, we'll get a doctor's perspective on show Eyotani's shoulder. David Veasse joins us at the eight o'clock hour. It's a Monday morning, saxon Kates in the am live and studio together on a FI seventy LA Sports. It's Sax and Kate's and am here on your home with the Dodgers an five seventy LA Sports Live and local Game three of the World Series tonight from the Bronx Dodgers a two to oher series laid Walker Buehler on the mound first pitch from the Galvin Motors broadcast booth. He is coming up at five oh eight next hour, Doctor David Chow will join us get his insights in perspective on this shoulder injury to show Hey Otani. We'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts, coming up in just a couple of minutes. He spoke to the media before the Dodgers hit the field for a night workout last night at the New Yankee Stadium. David Vasse will join us from New York, coming up at the eight o'clock hour. We'll hear from Walker Buehler as well. We want to hear from you at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. The Dodgers will win on a walk off Grand Slam from Freddie Freeman on Friday night. They come back on Saturday night. Yoshi Yamamoto pitches really well for the Dodgers in Game two on Saturday Night, and it feels like every start he goes out there sacks, So you don't know which one you're gonna get. You hope you get the player that pitched so well in Japan and looked so well early in the season before the shoulder injury that he's suffered. We saw a good start against the Padres, we saw a bad start this postseason, and on Saturday night we saw Yoshi Yamamoto. To me, watching him in his demeanor, he looked different. He looked locked in. He didn't look nervous in his first start against the Padres and the the d lds. To me, he looked like a deer at headlights. Yeah, like the moment he looked just kind of felt like the moment was too big for him. I didn't get that sense just watching his demeanor on Saturday night, And boy did he go out there six and the third innings one run, one hit, that home run to gen Carlos Stanton struck out four, got a lot of swinging misses and just had guys on roller skates there inside the box. I'm all just guessing. Yeah, two things.
Speaker 3: The good thing about it overall is that when we saw him and he wasn't really on his game, it was something that was fixable, okay, And what he did the two things that he did is number one, it was just all about location. When he when he's using this secondary stuff, his curveball, ist splitter, and he's working from the numbers to the thigh, that's problematic for him. He can't be in that area. Okay, he can be up there if he goes on a four seam fastball and raises the eye level the hitter, which is a good thing to do. But his secondary stuff, his curveball and his splitter, that's got to be from the belt down to the ground or the thigh.
Speaker 1: To the ground. I guess he'll hit it if it's in the mid part.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Because when that ball gets up in the secondary stuff like the splitter, the or the curveball, that thing's going downtown.
Speaker 1: There's no action on the ball.
Speaker 3: His fastball, he could throw high, but the secondary stuff's got to be you know, around the knee to the to the ground and that's it. And this stuff's got good action on the ball when it's tumbling on the splitter and when it's got the good spin on the curveball, but it's got to be low in the strike zone where it's got a downward tilt to it.
Speaker 1: I think even the ball that he threw a Stanton, Stanton got a good swing on it. It was low in the zone, was but he high, but it kind of hung there like a cement mixer. It was low. The height was good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but instead of kind of a spinning sideways, that ball's got to have a downward tumble on it and going downward.
Speaker 1: When that happens, they can't hit it. Yeah. He had everybody's so far in this series, in the first two games has had Aaron Judge's number as far as the Dodger pitches, whether it's Flaherty of the bullpen or ya. Let him sleep, Aaron Judge. Just let's let him just Aaron just go to sleep, now, Okay, just go to sleep. Yeah, let him let him do what he's doing. We won't even talk about him anymore. Well, you know, let's pretend he's not there. Well, we can kind of sence you and mere only on listeners. All he went to talking just you and me.
Speaker 3: You know, Hey, the thing about him is, he's just a little bit just going out of the zone. Aaron, judge, if he tightens that sucker up a little bit and makes him bring the ball up, makes him go in the strike zone, then that monster's gonna awaken, and we don't want that. No, so we're gonna just let him sleep and chasing pitches. Let him chase, Chase Arella, go ahead, chase all you want. Aaron knows that, I'm obviously, I mean, he knows he's just going out of the zone a little bit. But my gosh, you wake that monster up and forget it. No, I'm hoping he I'm sure he's a big fan of this show. I'm sure sure so's I'm sure he's listening on iHeart all the way over to New York, absolutely, and he's probably getting the idea. Now, geez, sax in case just said, just bring the ball up, make him throw the ball in the strike zone, and I'm dangerous again, sough, I hope not.
Speaker 1: We can't. We can't get him going because he's come up in big situations in the first two games, and the Dodgers have gotten him out and and de threatening him, you know, at the plate with runners in scoring position. But yeah, if there, if he gets going, you know, he'll start making those Dodger pitchers pay. Stanton made him pay with the home run against Yamamoto or against Flairty in Game one. Yamamoto in the bullpen looked fantastic except for Trying in the ninth inning where he got into trouble. To me, Trying probably shouldn't even been out there on Saturday night because he pitched it Inny to the third did on Friday night, and you're bringing him back on Saturday night in a close out situation. You have other arms down there to get the final three outs in the ninth inning, and I probably would have rather gone to even if you go to one or two, I mean, you have to get three batters. I guess, so just anybody else, but Trying, because he didn't have it. I mean, his auspeed stuff wasn't there. His fastball he's missing. Probably not the best time to go back to him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and you know, if you you know it's you want to push a little bit more, probably from in postseason, try to you know, eke a little bit more out of him.
Speaker 1: The thing with trying is his stuff. That's the problem.
Speaker 3: His stuff is so wicked that, oh I can you know, even if he's eighty percent, he's gonna get people out right. His stuff is nasty. I can tell you coming from a hit or tim that bowling ball sinker that he throws into a right hander, good luck with that and the same with him. But if he gets the ball those that those pitches up that aren't his fastball, he gets in trouble. Like he hangs the slider, of course he's gonna get hammered with it. And you know, if he's working the fastball, you know, from the thigh down and then things got that boring in type of a bowling ball to a right hander.
Speaker 1: These guys aren't going to touch it. They got no chance with that. Juan Soto singled on a three to two singer that he left over the middle of the PLATEE want Aaron Judges struck out swinging on a sweeper that if you look at the stat cast was like a foot and a half outside the zone and he's swagging struck out on Then Stanton comes up in single off the third base bag. Chisholms singled, you know, Rizzo gets hit by a pitch and the yeah, and Volpi comes up and strikes out. Volpi's been absolutely nothing in this series for the Yankees. And then they go to Vesi to close it out and he gets Travino, the pitch hitter, to fly out to left center field. Ball game over. The Dodgers have a two zero series lead. But again it's the bullpen saves the day for the Dodgers, and certainly they put themselves in this situation with Blake trying it in the ninth inning, bud Man, you just feel like Doc Roberts has pushed all the right buttons in the first two games of this series, from the bullpen to the starting pitching and everything in between. I mean, guys are doing it what they need to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm hearing from my sources a lot of them back in New York too. They're just shaking their head. They're saying, well, they're not as good as the Dodgers. I mean, all over and I don't want to speak too soon. Yeah, you know, but they you know, they they just know that this team that they're facing in front of them is good on every aspect. The one question mark of course being what about the starting pitching? What about that starting pitching? Well, you know, I'll tell you what. It's been outstanding as far as I'm concerned. And this is when it counts right now, in the in the World Series. So we'll see what happens from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go ahead. If you're on the Yankee side, though, you're looking at missed opportunities. In Game one, you had a chance to win the game if not for a walk off Grand Slam. Game two, you're one for six with runners in scoring position, and yeah, you only had the one hit offf of Yama model, but you had guys on base, and in the ninth inning you had traffic on the bass pass and couldn't get that hit when you needed it. So maybe if the Yankees you're feeling like, hey, we're a base hit away from from being back in this series. We're a base hit away from being one to one coming home. Heck, we're a Grand Slam away from having maybe a two zero series lead. So you have to be feeling okay about yourself with the Yankees. Yeah, I mean, I mean you try to put it in your head that way.
Speaker 3: But you know what's getting old is watching watching Soto shake his head and when he takes a ball inside he does that kind of a shuffle at the play.
Speaker 1: Dude nods an approval. That's what he does.
Speaker 3: What's yeah, come on, is that what I saw your pitch? Okay, it's kind of like it's kind of like, okay, well, you know, I got something for you. And then he did hit one out. I mean, hey, the guy's an offensive threat. But how about the ball down the line when he just kind of looked at Rizzo and said, hey, why don't you go get it? He's jogging at the pop up down the first base line. Look, that's not the first baseman's ball. That's your ball, bro, You know what I mean, you got it right in front of you.
Speaker 1: He's jogging in. Come on, it's the good and bad of Juan Soto. The kid just turns twenty six years old. I'm just not getting me. Where's the effort on that? That's the problem. I mean, let the horse out of the barn, dude, I don't see it running. If he played one hundred percent all the time, If he play one hundred percent seventy five percent of the time, he would be arguably the best player in baseball.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: And to me, Tim I got I got a flat out inherent problem with that with somebody that's twenty six that's not hustling. You should never have a hustle slump?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Is there something else on your mind out there? I mean, really, it's absurd. It's his defense, though it's always been his defense. He's got very arm, but the way he doesn't hustle out of balls. That's why Judge is playing center field and Soto's in right field. He can't.
Speaker 3: He's not a great runner, though he's you know, he's okay, you know, but he's not. He's not a barn burner, No, he's not. He doesn't have closing speed. You need that in center field.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: And I feel like Jan Soda at twenty six, where is he in ten years if you're going to sign him to a long term deal. Is he still in a right fielder for you? Or is he turned into a dah Yeah? Probably he's thirty, so so when you're looking at this whole thing too. As we were talking about, you know, they're going home now. The Yankees are going home kind of feeling better about things, even though they're down two.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, Clark Schmidt, their starter, has been pretty darn good on the road. Guy got a buck thirty nine era on the road. At home, not so much. He's had troubles at home. Pitching in his own park at Yankee Stadium a four point fifty era, and in eight starts, you know, not a huge sample size, but big enough. There's a trend here. He pitches much better on the road, way better on the road. So the Yankees got to go in there. They certainly know this. They're gonna go in there thinking, hey, you know, we can mow this thing down in Game three and then we're looking at one more to stomp it out. So yeah, this is good for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a good right hander. He's been just as good as Garrett Cole in the second half of the season for the Yankees. Some say he was their best pitcher down the stretch in September going into the postseason. So they saved him for Game three and they're gonna need him tonight. The Dodgers need to get after him. He's a good right hander, a lot like Michael King is for the San Diego Padres. As far as his aw speed pitches is concerned, his curveball is considered a plus plus curveball, so he can get after it. And the Dodgers certainly have gotten the pitching already in this series, either the bullpen or starting pitching. Garrett Pole. He bet Garrett Cole pitch really well in Game one ye for the Yankees, and it was a great pitching matchup back and forth with him and Flaherty. Aaron Boone decides to go to the bullpen, even though he was only had like eighty one pitches at that time in Game one was Garrett Cole, and Cole you could second guess whether or not you should have left him out there if you're a Yankees fan. They pull him, they go the bullpen. The Dodgers take advantage of it. Here we are two to zero series leave for the Dodgers, go out to the phones. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. Jose In Rancho Cucamonga start things off here on this Monday morning with Sax and Kate's in the am. How are you doing, Jose? Good morning, guys, Good morning, Hi Jose.
Speaker 4: Hey yeah, so, uh well, first off, we went to this year. My I took my kids to the opening game, and my nine year old daughter fell in love with baseball. I mean she's on there every day watching the games, and she's sitting down with me and enjoying it. So when the World Series came, my wife's like, we gotta go, we gotta go, we gotta go.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I figure it was amazing.
Speaker 4: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Did you stay for the entire game? Were you there in the ninth inning for the the ex movie?
Speaker 9: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think any fan left that game.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 4: We actually got to sit in the we're going to find tickets at We were at loads one sixty one, so that when you come in in that low gentries, we were right there. So we got to see everything and wasn't gonna say oh so like after when the game was finished and roman Thal went to go give Freddie the interview, it was so loud and crazy. You couldn't hear anything Freddy was saying. All you were hearing was the fans screaming pretty pretty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was nuts.
Speaker 4: I've never been to a game that's been We've been to postseason games, but never anything like this.
Speaker 7: That place was electric.
Speaker 4: And my wife is a Yankee fan. So the whole game you were going back and forth, and you know, I was like, man, you're gonna get me in a fight over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, at least you didn't get into one. Jose. I appreciate it. Glad you had a great time. It is certainly a game that you'll never forget, being that it was emotional and people were crying at Dodger Stadium. People were hugging each other, people were in disbelief, were in shock, The players were in shock. It's one of those moments like eighty eight in the home run from Gibson, that you'll never forget. Where you're at, you'll be talking about this in years to come. We still watch the videos of the home run from Gibbey and you see the taillights of the Dodger fans leaving early because they thought the game was over. The historic Hall of Vin Scully he is gone. Steven Nelson was great here on the radio Joe Davis's call on Fox, Gibby meet Freddie. I mean, in the moment, that's absolutely brilliant. And I know Kirk Gibson at his home in Michigan got somebody tracked him down and talked to him and he said it was a great moment, and he said, yeah, it felt fell a lot like eighty eight and the magic that was that season, in that postseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, there's there's nothing more you know that you're gonna see. There's no there's nothing bigger than that to hit, especially a Grand Slam, you know where it's all in the line and it's it was great to see how Freddy made his approach. You know, he didn't go up there and like work the count and oh my gosh, I gotta you know, it was just all about getting that one chance to hit that ball out and he got it on the first pitch. That's what I liked about Freddie Freeman. You know, this guy is a professional hitter. When he stands in the box, man, he's ready to hit from from pitch one. And that's the way it's got to be. That's why that's why they're up two.
Speaker 1: Oh. I heard him in an interview, might have been at the podium afterwards. So it was somewhere after the game and they asked him about the bat and kind of take us through your your thinking, and he said, all right, Uh, when they when they brought in Nesta Cortez, he said he went to the iPad and he looked at at bats of Otani against Cortes and how did they pitch Otani? And the follow up what question was, well, why didn't you look at a video of yourself against Cortes? And he goes, I figured, if they pitched the best player in the world this way, then how are they going to pitch to me? And he looked at the at bats and when he was gonna throw a sinker, are they gonna throw him away? And he figured, all right, I got a beat on his pitches. I know it's his tendencies. I'm looking middle in and he goes, sure enough, there it was right in my zone and he goes, I just attacked it, hit it out, and that, you know, the rest is history. But his approach against Cortes, he knew going in the tendencies and where he expected that ball to be in the zone.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure he took it into account the ball that he rifled down the left field line, a pitch that was away earlier when he hit the triple.
Speaker 1: When was that was that game? That was game one? That was game one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, when he hits the triple down the leftol line. So they does pictures log all this stuff in so Freddie. Freddie's probably already already knowing that he knows this, of course, that he can really rifle that ball the other way.
Speaker 1: So what do they do? They come in on him, and he's ready for that too. Le's go to Marcus I min Roviz next up here on a five seventy LA Sports. Marcus, good morning.
Speaker 9: Good morning, Good morning, Tim Kates, Deeve Seck, Hey Marcus, making my day man, how's it going good? I just wanted to say, you know, as long as the Dodgers stay in, you know, President forget m By yesterday, it's kind like running a marathon. You don't worry about the first mile. You're just you know, going forward. So I think we're in good shape. And we got a dog pitching for us today, sim Buehler. So I think I like our chances. And I can't get tired of watching that Freeman player. I've been watching it over and over and brings tears to my eyes of joy. So trying to see that happen again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so doubt all right, Marcus appreciate it. Yeah, we mentioned it. It's important that this Dodgers team get over that emotional hurdle in Game two, and they did. I'm comes out, gives them a great performance. The Dodgers hang on and get the win. They got to take that momentum and that emotion back to New York. But whatever they did in games one and two, especially the Grand Slam from Freddy, You're gonna get to the Bronx tonight. That place is gonna be rocking. Fans are gonna be yelling at you as good as you felt Friday night, and as good as you felt with fifty six thousand fans cheering your name and feeling good and celebrating the Dodgers, and I Love La from Randy Newman playing. It's gonna be complete oposite the atmosphere at Yankee Stadium. They're gonna have to kind of rally together and realize all that emotion on Friday and Saturday. They gotta dig it up somewhere else because they're not gonna get it from the fans tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna go from Randy Newman to the end of the game in LA to Frank Sinatra. They hope at the end of the game in New York and that's what they play when they win. So look, there's nothing better than that, I think, than the setup as it is right now. When you got Walker Bueller going he's already been good in postseason. That's been what his DNA has been good in postseason. Now Walker Bueller's going back there. There is nobody that you'd rather have that When he called him a dog, that's a big compliment. Walker Buehler is gonna say, take the enthusiasm, take the tough guy mentality, take all the New Yorkers and whatever, and he's gonna shove on that team. That's what he's thinking. I mean, he's this is an advantage to Walker Buehler. This is gonna this is gonna propel him to just be the best that he can possibly be. And I think you're gonna see it tonight. He's gonna say, bring the New York sentiment my way, and I'll challenge that on We'll see who wins this fight. That's what Walker Bueller's mentality is he thrives off of it, loves it. He wants the moments better for him. Oh, absolutely is better on the road for it. He embraces it, he accepts the challenge. And he's been there before, pitching in game threes of the World Series. He did it in twenty eighteen against the Red Sox. Didn't get the decision. That was that Friday night game that wins seven hours and twenty minutes. Max Muntzi hit the home run against the Red Sox and they win in what seventeen eighteen innings, So he pitched that game. And he also pitched Game three in the Bubble in Arlen of the World Series against the Tampa Bay Rays. So he's pitched in games three. We'll hear from him later on talking about it. But he's used to the moment. He's used to pitching in big games. That's not gonnaffect him.
Speaker 1: He pitched in New York against the Mets in the NLD or NLCS already, so it's not it doesn't matter. Tim. I went from here to New York, no problem, no problem. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two, five seventy coming up, we're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. He's gonna tell us what's up with show Hey Otani. Yes, still gonna need to think about show Hey in the shoulder. He left the game of the seventh inning on seventh on Saturday night. We'll get into that with doctor Chow in the seven o'clock hour. What's lingering with that shoulder? Can he play through it? What about the long term effects? Because you got a thing long term as well. But tonight it's Game three of the World Series. Dodgers Yankees Dodgers a three to zero series lead Walker Buler on the mound first pitching. Five oh wait, thanks for being with us on this Monday morning at Sax and Kates and Am on an FI seventy light Sports. Sax and Kates in the Am on n five seventy LA Sports on this Monday morning. Thanks for being with us. Game three of the World Series coming up at five oh eight right here on n FI seventy LA Sports. We got Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck in and started at four o'clock. Next hour, Doctor Chow will join us get his thoughts and expertise on the show. Hey Osani Shoulder injury, Will he be able to play? How much will it affect him?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: What are the long term ramifications of him going out there and playing or not playing with that shoulder injury?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Moving forward, because yeah, we care about show hate now and certainly what he's gonna be able to help this Dodgers team doing next year and the years beyond with that big contract that he signed. But hopefully the Dodgers have him in the lineup. In fact, here's Dave robers, Dodger manager, yesterday after the team landed in New York City. He spoke to the media. They had a workout afterwards. But here is Dave Roberts yesterday before the Dodger workouts.
Speaker 8: I think that, you know, taking dry swings, which he's done, but then I'll obviously taking balls off the tee batting practice in the cage. That's going to be telling. And I think that he's obviously very well aware of himself and his body. So if he feels good enough to go, then I see no reason why he wouldn't.
Speaker 7: Be in there.
Speaker 1: And is this the thing where he could possibly injure it worse by playing through it?
Speaker 8: You know, once we make the decision that he can play, I would assume that there isn't a possibility of that.
Speaker 1: Is this more of a pain tolerance and comfort thing for him at this day?
Speaker 8: It will be. Yes, that's exactly what it is. I don't see him being compromised. It's it's the left shoulder, which is the back shoulder. So I don't see how that affects affects his hitting. If he's able to go, I really don't. Today feels better than yesterday, and our assumption is tomorrow is going to feel better than today. And so with that, you know, that's what I'm banking on.
Speaker 1: If is this similar to what Cody did, I think inn LCS Game seven and twenty twenty with that celebration with Kik and then obviously he played through it in the World's.
Speaker 8: Very similar, just a different shoulder where you know, I would argue that the right shoulder, it is more compromising to the swing for a left hand hitter than the left shoulder. If he is able to play, willing to play, He's going to play, and Schmidt will know that show he's in the box, so that that means everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that means everything, whether he's one hundred percent or not. He's going to be close to it or whatever percentage he's at playing, who knows, but the presence alone sacks he To have him in that leadoff spot is a threat. And to me sometimes the threat is not more than you know, what a guy can produce, but certainly to have a shoe he Otania fifty percent shoe Otania seventy five percent, but to also have him as that presence in the lineup when it turns over, that's huge.
Speaker 3: Yes, especially against the right handed pitching Schmidt. I think that's a big advantage for the Dodgers. And you said it right, Tim, An eighty seventy five percent of show hey is is better than none at all. So he he changes the way the whole lineup is structured. He changes the way guys are pitched after him, and so that's a huge difference maker. He's got to be, you know, there with his presence, So that'll make a difference.
Speaker 1: Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is our number leading up to Game three of the World Series. But what a weekend it was here in Southern California Friday night, the walk off Grand Slam in the tenth inning from Freddie Freeman. One of the greatest moments in Dodger's history, and if the Dodgers go on to win the World Series here against the Yankees could go down as the greatest moment in Dodger history. They win Game two on Saturday night thanks to Yoshi Yamamoto. He was fantastic and the Dodgers hitting three home runs. Let's go to Rico in Fontana, Rico. Good morning, Welcome to Saxon Kate's and the am Rico.
Speaker 4: Hey sex the Kate.
Speaker 7: This is Rico for Fine Talk.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were at Game.
Speaker 7: Two, my WiFi and daughter, and it was it was so loud, the only time I've seen the lottery in the places, like to the twenty ten NBA Finals. But Yoshi did so outstanding that I remember we gave him a standing Oh he just looked so humble coming back. But then when when Otani went down in that inning, we thought everyone was mumbling, he got so freaking quiet. We didn't even hear the guy coming out of the bullten. I know they were playing some funky music for him to come out, but everyone was just so quiet, concerned about him. I just hope that they get a mister Miyagi to do that Posho eyes, that slap his hands and rubb that shoulder like you did on Daniel Sant so he'll be ready for uh for game three and then hopefully you know he'll do that, give him a body bag and take out Johnny.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the call, all right, rego the Karate Kid reference. Yes, yeah, I've seen the meme many times in the last twenty four hours with mister Miyagi slapping his hands, rubbing him together and putting his hands on Daniel Sun and we're making the knee work so he can go back out there and fight against the against the Cobra Kai. Yes, and that Championship East Valley Karate Tournament.
Speaker 3: I remember that that Who was the actor the like the villain actor, the the the guy was going against against mister Miyagi. We've seen a lot in different different I'm just not sure who can.
Speaker 1: Why am I drawing a Blake? I know the guy because kid goes to my he goes to my kid's school. Blake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, he's he's in all those karate movies and you know that was just a perfect perfect person to cast for that part.
Speaker 1: Are you watching the Rebroot. By the way, they have the Cobra Kai series on Netflix where Johnny Lawrence's character is you know, he's the villain in Karate Kid and then circle back with his thirty thirty years and Johnny got the kid. Yeah, Johnny is still kind of you know, aloof and he's got his own kid. And Ralph Mancio's character Daniel LaRusso he's got his daughter, and then of course they meet up together and you know it's the Cobra kaives right, mister Miyagi's group, and it's like it's a whole you know, it's a whole thing brought back. So right, it's it's a fun series. Yeah, I enjoyed that series. Let's go out to Ruben and Brea. Thanks for being patient. Rubert, good morning, how you doing.
Speaker 6: Good morning, guys, I got you. It's Martin cob You mean John.
Speaker 1: Creepy all right, you go, yeah, yeah, you're talking about the Yeah.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, I looked up for you guys. I just mind to say, first of all, I just had a feeling we got this and it's funny. The score for Friday's game was sixty three, which a fortun youth that was the age of Fernando Passing Away sixty three. But I wanted to say, who do we how do we pick? But once we get the rings, how do we pick which game they're going to get the rings? Because I would like it to be against the Padres.
Speaker 1: You know, Ruben, I love your enthusiasm. I love the fact that you're already thinking about it, rings, already got it picked out. Let's let's pump the brakes a little bit here. Let's let's let's let's wait a little bit. You know, maybe a three to oh series lead, three to one series lead, we start talking about a parade maybe and then the rings. But a two oh series lead.
Speaker 3: Let's Ruben probably wants to know the route of the parade right now, right, the size of the ring? I mean, hey, this is my grooving song as it is, so tim.
Speaker 1: This I'm doing. I listened to Boom. See get that kind of like the boom. Billy'sz Afka, by the way, is the gentleman who plays Johnny Lawrence or the Karate Kid. Can't believe I couldn't think of Billy's Afka's name eight sixty sixth ninety seven two five seventy. He is Steve Sachs in Studio Sax and Kate's in the Am reunited doing the happy Dance at second base on this Monday morning? Is the Dodgers feeling happy? I have two games to nothing in this best of seven World series. Doctor David Show will join us next hour, David Veastay in the eight o'clock hour. We'll hear from Walker Bueller coming up at eight o'clock as well. But your phone calls. What a weekend at Dodgers Stadium Friday night, the Grand Slam Saturday night, the three home runs and the game to win the Dodgers halfway there. You're on AMPHI seventy LA Sports