Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Let's get the five o'clock hours started here on a Monday afternoon. Hopefully you guys had a good week and hopefully you've had a good Monday. If you've been with us since the start of the show, where I guess you know recently, thank you. We appreciate it. If you are just now joining us, welcome board. It is coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the AHET Radio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. I already said some things coming up here in just a moment, but I need this is something that I'm curious enough to where I'm bringing up on the show to get some reaction. And I'm not saying we got to load up the phone lines for this. But I've learned something about my name that has changed in recent years that kind of surprises me. All Right, so this probably won't shock you, Austin, but my legal name is Nicholas. You probably would expect that, right, Nicholas is my name, but I go by Nick apparently, and this is on the Internet. Wouldn't be on the internet if it wasn't true. I say that jokingly, but I also do believe this has become a thing, and I'm not really surprised, but it it just I wasn't aware until somebody shared it with me. But now, if you are named Nicholas and you are under the age of ten years old, there's a good chance that you don't go by Nick. You go by Nico. Huh. I mean, does that sound sound off to you a little bit? I don't know many Nicholas's or Nick's, even at a young age, Like I don't know where my name is on the popularity ranking for children on the last and I'm sure they're not a child, right. No, is Nicholas becoming like an old man name, not an old man name, because I don't really know many. The oldest Nicholas I know is Saint Nick. Right. Other than that, I would say, like you can find like there's like Nick Nolty. I mean he's an actor, like Nick Nolty might be the oldest Nick I can think of often, so Nick Nolty is eighty four years old. He might be the first Nick outside of Saint Nick. So my name is Nicholas Anthony, and I don't remember when I became Nick. To my knowledge, I've always been Nick. Even whenever I was upset and my parents would like, you know, really want to get my attention. More often than not, it was still Nick. Although there were rare moments where my mom would say Nicholas Anthony and she would say with her teeth closed. And that's when I knew I needed to behave because I was, you know, maybe gonna get myself in trouble. But anyways, there are Nkos that I've heard of that are you know, I don't know any that I can think of off the top of my head as far as kids that go to school with my children or that kind of thing. But Nico is at least a name that now I hear of that I didn't hear of when I was a kid. But apparently a lot of those kids who go by Nico their legal name is Nicholas. And that's just something I'd never even thought about before. I mean, if I went by Nico, people would probably look at me like I like I like, there's no way that guy's naming. I mean, I guess you never know anybody's name, but Nico does seem like a younger thing. But then there's there's Nico Harrison, right, that's the GM of the Dallas Mavericks who has been getting all kinds of of of grief. But apparently his legal name is Nico not Nicholas. Okay, so anyways, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean even Nicholas and Nick still sound very like modern.
Speaker 4: It's not like when you think of like Earl or something you know, or Bernard or yeah, Bernard, Oh I could.
Speaker 3: Do this something named Bernie or something I.
Speaker 2: Could do this all day. There are names that just over time became like dinosaurs, and it's sad, right, yeah, Like how many Gerald do you now? Like imagine saying, yeah, we're gonna bring the baby over, We're gonna bring over a little Gary, Like I know Gary. I know Gary's in their thirties, but I don't know if I could give you a Gary in his twenties. Like ron One of my closest friend's name is Ronald. He went by Ronnie as as a kid, but now we just call him Big ron Actually know his dad's Big Ron, He's Ron, right, But yeah, I mean there's just and then some names make a comeback. Like let me give you an example. There are a lot of John's now that are you know, John's a pretty timeless name, but I now know friends of mine who've named their child John. But I don't think I went to school with maybe one John, and we're talking about one of the most common names, like ever. But in that era when I was growing up, I didn't have many friends that I was in school with named John. Names that became really big when I was whenever, I guess, like kids my age were born my era. Cody Cody, Yeah, I don't know many Cody's that are above forty. I know Cody, but I know a lot of Cody's in between, like twenty and thirty seven. Right, Cody was pretty popular. Matthew's pretty It's one of those that you really are never surprised by anybody with that name. Your name, Austin, I feel like became is your first name Austin Legally, yes, it's Austin Tyler. I like that Austin Austin Tyler is I mean, those had to be big, booming names at that time.
Speaker 3: Of course, I think my mom named me after.
Speaker 2: Tyler was a really big name. Also, whenever I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Who was a guy the hot dude on nine O two one zero? Was it a Austin Green made Austin?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Austin Green. Yes, that's what my mom said. She named me after.
Speaker 2: I mean, you looked just like him. So it's great.
Speaker 3: I've been told that before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's exactly who it is, Brian Austin Green. Brian Austin Green. Yeah. So, but Austin is a name that now, like, I know a lot of Austin's.
Speaker 3: I know some girls named Austin.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know of many girls name also, but I'm not surprised that that there are girls named Austin.
Speaker 4: There's one girl I met. Her name was Austin a us t y n. I thought that was kind of hot.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. Yeah, I mean it's creative. If you all ever have children, which I'm sure you will one day, do you think finding a name will be an easy thing for you guys?
Speaker 4: I think she has a couple of them laid out. They're like a little bit more like uh in my gosh, you can't ask me on off the top of my head because I don't know they are more like more modern names or not, like you know, like some of the ones.
Speaker 3: That that that we mentioned.
Speaker 4: I think, what's another one that, like Tommy Thomas says, you don't know like a lot of Thomas.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's true. I'm trying to know one Tommy. So my my daughter's name is Maya Noel. My son's name is Mason Cruz. I feel like Cruse has become not like a super popular name, but I didn't know anybody named Cruse growing up. Now, I bet if I went to my kids school, there'd be a few cruises there.
Speaker 4: One of our one of our couple friends just had a kid and they named him Crew.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've heard of that. Yeah, that's not a bad well, that's not bad at all.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a lacrosse player in the making.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. So. The only reason I bring it up is because, like when I get older and i'm you know, my legal name is Nicholas, like at the DMV when I'm getting my license renewed in my sixties, because a lot of times people will just look at my legal name and they'll just just because there aren't many people that go by Nicholas, they just go by It's very like, yeah, there are I feel like, let me ask you this, do you think there's more people named Matthew that go by Matt or vice versa, like more people that go because I think you it's I think it's more common to hear somebody who goes by their legal name Matthew than there is people who go by Nicholas yea and not being nicked.
Speaker 3: They go by the shorter version.
Speaker 4: Now because my my fiance's brother's name is Matthew, but we call him Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's very I have close friends named matt and calling them Matthew just would be weird. Also, did you know that technically my name, like how I spell it, is fraudulent. Really, this kind of this speaks to I guess my, you know you're a fake nick, my being, a my being, you know who I am. But I felt like a real fraud when somebody pointed this out to me. Might have been somebody on the show on the text line who brought it up one time, but I was like, you know what, They're right. I've been an imposter my whole life. Every time I write my name, I write in I C K. There's not a K in my name. It's a I C H O L A S. So we just we the Nicks just invented a letter that doesn't need to be there. That's like, that's I used to think. If you're going by Nick and I see, you're a real tryhard. Actually you're legit. I'm not because the K doesn't exist. I'm just I'm just writing down. I mean, it's like almost like a fake identification, right.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even mind if you went by Nick. But but even then I see and I see yeah. But like you know, I said, is there an H in it? And I C H yeah, and I C H O L A S. I kind of just like the N I C H that's but that to me, that to.
Speaker 2: Me is a tryhard you think, so yeah, like like Mark with a C, like, what are you doing? It's K? Like you can't you know? In my so my wife, my wife's my wife's name is Tiffany and ak Mercedes, but she not her Her mother decided to spell it t I F F A N I, which is not is not insanely rare, but I'd say more than ninety percent of the folks named Tiffany go BYuT T I F F A N Y, but her mom spelled it, and I'm glad she did because you know, it's it puts a little bit of a different it makes it a little bit unique. Yeah, but you know she oftentimes, you know, when she has to just like me, if I tell people my name is Coffee, I have to say e y or they're gonna put ee. She now has to tell people it's a N I and it's f F E Y not not. Yeah, so she's want more explanation, yeap, no doubt. But again, like who am I to judge I'm a fraud. There's a K in my name that I've living with that doesn't actually belong. Total fraud.
Speaker 4: Now we got the great uh Radio Rick. There's not a lot of ricks left.
Speaker 3: I feel like.
Speaker 2: It's true man. You think Rick is short for Richard?
Speaker 3: That's true?
Speaker 2: Radio Rick. Man, what a guy I'm trying to think of. Like, when's the last time you saw a somebody under the age of twenty named Donald? But I don't even know any young Donnie's.
Speaker 3: I got a cousin named Donald.
Speaker 2: Is he young?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: He's probably like seven eight years older than I am.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's probably like borderline, right. Uh, Reginald, you know, an, I guess Reginalds are Reggie Reggie's dude.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I don't think I've ever met a Reggie maybe once.
Speaker 2: Do you remember? Was it ever a thing in school when they would do they would do like roll call and call attendance, and like there were kids that's who's Like I knew they were going to say Nicholas and it didn't really like I wasn't worried that people were going to find out like that you're name. But you know when your kid, you know you're insecure, you're just being social. Like there was that anxiety for certain kids who went by a name and the only way you'd know that their name wasn't what they go by is like first day of school when the teacher's getting acclimated or there's a sub who's calling role and they're only looking at what's on the paper, not what you go by. And like there would be kids who would like try to not be in class when they would call role and I'm like, bro, it's your name? Like even as seven to eight year olds, we know your mom and dad did it not you? Bro? Like it's not that big of a do. I have a buddy, close friend of mine who his legal name is Leslie, which is not as rare as you would think, especially like it's a family name, Like I think his father's name is Leslie. His grandfather's name is Leslie.
Speaker 3: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Maybe is great, but you know, when you're a kid in the nineties, I think most kids, maybe even adults, would just assume Leslie would be a woman, right, I mean I would, but like I remember thinking, like, man, like he's really going through it, that he's worried people are going to find out that's his name, Like it's not no big it's you know, it's not again, you don't get to pick your name. I guess you could change it when you get older. And he didn't go by Leslie. He went by a different he went by his middle name. But anyways, I just I'm now thinking that maybe when I get older and I go to the DMV and I just hand them my documents and they're just assuming that I don't go by Nikolas. Are they gonna say, oh, hey, Nico, because Nico's now overtaken nick.
Speaker 3: And I don't like that, and you don't look like an Eco.
Speaker 2: Thank you? Do it look like a nick?
Speaker 3: Of course you've embraced the nick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're a New York kid. Isn't there a real not not this week?
Speaker 3: No? No, yeah, that's sure.
Speaker 2: I'm a pacer, But aren't there like there's some truth to it? Always go back to Tommy Boy with Chris Farley, whenever they're getting they just got into that roadside fight and they're at that diner and the waitress comes over and you know he but right before he melts down, he said, what's your name? Helen? Helen? You look like a Helen. I'm like, you know what, she does, look like a Helen. Like there's certain people that when they tell me their name and I don't know it. I just want to respond, you're damn right, you're Domald. You're damn right, that's your name. Look at you. You can look like your name. So anyways, let's, I guess, go back to what we're supposed to be doing here talking in sports. This is a sports show, and this is big news here locally, and it did kind of come out of nowhere. I wish we had a little more info, but it's okay. It happens. This way from time to time. Louisville has added a new player for the upcoming basketball season. They've landed Mohammed Kamara, who is from Senegal. He comes from the NBA Africa Academy. He's a six to eight, two hundred and fifteen pound I guess forward, I mean he's he's kind of a hybridou I would I would say, given the fact that his statistics kind of show you that he's averaged just under eleven points, seven boards, three and a half assists, two point eight steals, and two and a half blocks per game. Those were his numbers this past year at NBA Africa, shot at about thirty eight percent from three over sixty percent from the field overall. So I don't know a lot about him, had never heard of him until I saw that he had committed to Louisville today. But clearly they need to add some players in the front court, given that the l ability of Ali Khalifa still up in the air, and obviously James Scott decided to leave and they weren't able to through the portal at anybody to replace him, at least not yet. There are still players available in the portal and I have no clue really what to expect whenever the deadline is for the NBA Draft, which I'm gonna have to look that up because there are still a lot of players available in the portal. What I don't know is is Louisville already in a position of where they're recruiting these guys just waiting to figure out what their decision is or is it more so a you kind of restart the recruitment once these guys say they're coming back to school. And I think Louisville they have money. I mean, they clearly have money to offer. I mean, I don't think you probably had to spend a ton on this latest addition to your roster. And I don't think I mean James Scott had an NIL deal in place. I don't know what it was. I'm not sure if that was a big factor in his decision to UH to transfer or what. But either way, I mean, I still think even with this addition, and let's just say Khalifa gets good news about eligibility, you know, you still have some spots available, and I I you don't really know exactly what you'd be missing out if you don't get Khalif eligible, because again, he didn't play, But as we talked about earlier, he's such a rare big man who there's really no debate about what his strongest asset is. He's a phenomenal passer in a way that you just don't see from bigs. There are plenty of guys that can can pass well as a post player. Rather it be just being able to read a double team coming and knowing the spacing on the floor, or you know, just knowing the commit the attention they're commanding on a pick and pop and finding somebody. I mean, it's not as if there's never been a big that could be a really good passer, but he is. He's a lead at that, and you know, not having him would change some things. And if James, if there's not really a replacement from James Scott in the portal, I think the production that you lost, as far as James Scott's rebounds and points and whatnot, you can replace that. In fact, hell, just one of these guys could replace that by themselves. And I don't mean to say that this is not me talking like James Scott's a bump, because I think I was pretty clear that when he decided to leave I don't think the numbers will show you just how valuable he can be for you, because of the role that he was seemingly willing to embrace until he decided to leave. However, the seven points and six rebounds or whatever it is he averaged a year ago, I think it's safe to say Sonny Frew in case in prior by themselves can more than make up for that. But if anything, this latest edition that they added today gives you a little bit of an insurance policy if in fact things don't work out with Khalifa, because if they didn't, then you would just have I mean, your front core would be Case and pryor Javon Hadley and Sonny Frew and I like all those guys, but like it's not sustainable for that just to be the only guys you have in the front court. So all right, let's get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. A lot more to get into, including Scotty Scheffler's PGA championship. What that means to you know, hopefully in a perfect world this would just kind of put it to bed. But I kind of feel like now that he years passed and you really reflect on how wild that situation was, him getting arrested here in Louisville on his way to the PGA Championship with Valhalla. That's probably not something that's ever just going to not be a part of the Scotty Scheffler story. Therefore, I feel like the better he is at golf, the less likely it is that this thing just kind of fades away. Also, we'll let you hear what Drew Brees had to say about Jeff Brahm and Tyler Shuck. Shuck's gonna be the man in New Orleans regardless of what they're telling us. And as I mentioned earlier, we've got this list of programs with the most college basketball wins since twenty twenty. I think some of these schools that will appear here will surprise you, But I'd say there's one component that that makes it make sense. So stick with us. We'll finish strong here in the five o'clock hour. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thorton right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Now.
Speaker 1: Back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't think that I even made the connection when Jeff Brom. Well, when when Tyler Shuck was drafted by the Saints that they are there's and again, maybe it's not a connection. Maybe that's whay, maybe it's why it didn't pop into into my mind. But if in fact, the New Orleans Saints we're going to lean on Drew Brees for some type of guidance and maybe just you know, ask for his input on what he thinks about this quarterback crop in the twenty twenty five draft. You know, wouldn't shock me. He Drew Brees, He's he brought him a Super Bowl. So he has a lot of respect for Jeff Brom, not just because they're both two great quarterbacks and quarterback minds, but obviously Jeff Brom was the head coach at Purdue and he may Purdue football relevant to an extent for the first time since Drew Brees played there. So there's some connections here. But Tyler Shuck, he's gonna have his opportunity to compete for the starting job in New Orleans with Derek Carr retiring after an injury. But I would I'd be really shocked if if he's not the guy. I mean, I don't think you draft somebody in the second round. I mean, I feel like if you don't if you don't start him, which, by the way, I think he has I think he has real ability that little show that where he looks like he'll be the best option over Hainer and Spencer Rattler. Look maybe Spencer Ratler, because I don't know. Spence Rayler clearly has some tools and some talent that has gotten into this point. But they also saw what they would be without or they also saw what they would be with him at quarterback because he got to start some games last year for the injured Derek Carr, and you know they weren't very good. And I just think when you're when you're taking over a new franchise as a new head coach, what can I think of his name? Guy who came from the Cowboys? Oh, Kellen Moore, Yeah, Kellen Moore. I mean you want to run with the guy that you played a part in them deciding, right, I mean, if you're out there losing with a quarterback that you had no say so in being on the roster, and he knows maybe he loves Rattler and Hayin, but either way, like you want to you want to get results based off of something that you had, You had a place, and you know, you put in place. So they'll continue to talk about it being a competition, but I mean, I feel like if they don't start him, it'll it'll be a bad look for Shuck, which maybe isn't fair for me to say, but I mean, I feel like he can beat out these guys. But also I mean it'll maybe speak to the Saints not loving their Brookie quarterback, because I mean, even if Carr didn't retire and he was healthy, everybody would just assume that you drafted this guy in the second round. He's he's the air parent like he's going to be the next guy out. But here's Drew Brees over the weekend talking about Tyler Shuck and also a little bit about Jeff Broum.
Speaker 5: I love Jeff brob Jeff Brohm and Louisville was produced head coach for a long time, Develt as O'Connell and a few others, so he's kind of known as one of those guys who can give out fewbs. And obviously Tyler shuffily drive in that office with him.
Speaker 2: Last year, so there's more to it. But the sound is pretty crappy, but you know, he does allude to the fact that they're still going to compete and they're not just going to give the job to anybody. But things are lining up pretty nicely for Shuck and I can't wait to see what happens. And I really do believe that the age is something that has been used at times by people as a reason why he shouldn't have been drafted and why you shouldn't be excited if you're a Saints fan. I think given the circumstance to where he's going to be thrown thrown in right away, it's a good thing that he's mature and he's not going to be And this is something more so that comes from just those who know Tyler a little bit, those that were around him last year at Louisville, And we talked about this a little bit when Brian brom came on the show. The moment's not going to be too big for him. He is not going to be overwhelmed or wide eyed by the NFL. I mean, clearly he'll be a big step up for him. I mean it's the National Football League, and who knows how good he's gonna actually be. But I don't think he's somebody that will succumb to just you know, the duties that a quarterback has in the National Football League. It's a very important job. And you know, you you can't be bad for very long and expect to keep your job. All right, It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. So the Pacers in the next Eastern Conference Finals that will get started on Wednesday with the Pacers hosting Game one. And there's something that has has become a big, big thing on the internet, and that is Tyrese Halliburton flying out a Pacers fan who apparently lives in New York and was harassed by New Yorkers after the game for victory that the Knicks had over the Celtics. So I'm a little bit torn on this, but this, this is this is what played out. There was a pay I guess just I mean, can I say it, Austin, if you're in New York City and you know what Knicks fans do in the streets of New York City after big wins and you show up just trying to mingle among the masses wearing a Pacers Halliburton Jersey. I don't feel like I'm out of line to say you're looking for trouble. Yeah, you're not asking for it, maybe, but maybe you are, but you're wanting attention. Yes, you know what you're doing. Now, does that mean you that people have a right to assault you or you know, yell mean things at you. No, because you really shouldn't do that ever. But as human beings in society, I think a lot of us have a level of expectation as far as things we do and what might come with those decisions. Doesn't mean that, you know. For example, if I was to wear a T shirt that was extremely hateful towards one individual, a group of people, whatever, it may be, just a disgusting T shirt that, like I knew, would get a reaction. If I wear said T shirt around a group of people and that person, in front of a cop came up and beat the hell out of me, that person would go to or go to jail and get arrested. But like I would be guilty, not by the criminal justice system. I'd be guilty of being a real dumbass. That's what I would be guilty of. And if you share that story to your friends or other people, They probably wouldn't have much sympathy for you for a couple of reasons. One, they would say, how stupid can you be? You can't be shocked that somebody did that to you. But also they might look at whatever you were wearing and say, you know, you're a real piece of work. So again, both things could be true here. This guy knew what he was doing by walking out into the streets right after a New York Knicks victory wearing that. But those that didn't have the ability to restrain from owing things at him and you know, putting hands on him, if they even did that, they're not in the right. But you know, again, that's one of the things you hear me say often a lot of things can be true, not just one specific thing. So this has now turned into Halliburton using it as a hey, I'm gonna hook this guy up. But I do like the way Halliburton is, at least from what I've gathered. I haven't you know, I followed the story as best I can. I know he was on Pat McAfee earlier today talking about it, and I don't want to play that because I don't, you know, part of Pat McAfee's show is on television live and part of it, part of it's not the part that's not you know, they can say whatever. But apparently this guy who did this is is a firefighter in New York City, but he's a lifelong Pacers fan. So Halliburton is is going to hook him up.
Speaker 6: Pat told me found you yesterday, called me. I said, I gotta get on the show and talk to him myself. I want to personally bring you in a plus one out here to come to Game four. Uh here in Indiana. I'll bring you guys out here, put you guys up, get you guys see to the game. The Pacers. Everybody in our organization wants to make sure you take care of all the teams excited to meet you. It's all we've been talking about. Everybody's seen the video. So man, we want to bring you out here and uh yeah, man, I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 2: So you and Hans, I believe that's on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I believe that's on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: You're able to make the trip. I know scheduling obviously as a firefighter or something.
Speaker 3: You no, I gotta I gotta talk to the guys. I mean I'm pretty sure we could work something. Hey make sure that's first class. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: So again this is I doubt that this firefighter did that thinking he would end up being able to benefit from the situation to where he gets to fly out to go to Game four. I thought it was Game one, but he's gonna go to Game four, which will be uh an indye? Am I wrong? Is the Do the Pacers not have home court advantage? I thought they did?
Speaker 3: They they're the four seed?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Were the Knicks that there?
Speaker 6: See?
Speaker 2: Am I wrong here?
Speaker 3: It might be privy to the scene.
Speaker 2: So game one is let's see, why is it not tell you? Yeah? But oh sorry? Game ones in New York. So I guess the Pacers win Game one, it'll be Wednesday, okay, so yeah, they'll have two games in New York too at Indy and then they'll go back and forth if need be for the rest of the series. I was wrong. The Pacers don't have home court advantage. The Knicks do. So anyways, he's gonna be coming out for Game four. I doubt he had in mind that he could potentially turn that situation into getting a chance to fly back to Indiana. I don't know if he's from there, but again, he's a Pacers fan living in New York City, so it worked out well for him. But I also can't help but like still say, yeah, that what you did. I mean, again, there's nothing illegal about it, but like hard for me to believe you just happen to be walking around New York City wearing your Pacers jersey at the time that the Pacers or the Knicks fans just decided to you know, celebrate, like you know, you were asking for it, and uh, in a way it benefited you.
Speaker 4: So I think that that's a it's not a bad investment. You know, go through that, maybe get a trash bag thrown on you, but you know, an NBA All star face of a franchise reaches out to you and say, hey, come to the game.
Speaker 3: That's a very price price well paid.
Speaker 2: I guess, oh no, no, he'll probably try to do it again. If hell, other people may try to turn the situation into to what he just turned this one into, because I mean, he's getting flooded to Indy and I would imagine if Halliburton, so, can you up a ticket? You're not You're not sitting in a bad seat. I don't know if your court side or what, but I'm sure you are giving him his dad's seats. It's right, that's right. His dad now has vacant seats because his dad got basically banned from the any Pacers game moving forward. And this is also actually a good pr not that there was really a whole lot of pr repair needed for Halliburton, because I thought he handed it really well following his father's situation with Jannis, and I give him more credit than others probably do. Yes, it was the right, mature, responsible thing to do, but I also think it was probably a little more difficult. At least it would have been difficult for me. Like if my dad was doing that, I wouldn't. I wouldn't. I don't think i'd have the ability to tell him, hey, you were wrong. I would be so happy that my dad was that excited for me, even if he did cross the line and looked like a real piece of work. Didn't feel like dad.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It feels like it was ten years ago for some reason. I'm glad you said that. I'm not the only I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that, all right, we're gonna get to a quick break just a moment, but I do want to talk about it a little bit. We have not got to it in the five o'clock hour yet, but obviously we have throughout the show here and there discussed just the tragic situation out in southeastern Kentucky as the tornado that came through on Friday evening just absolutely devastated that area of Kentucky. We now have nineteen people that have that have lost their life in the state of Kentucky, seventeen of those coming from Laurel County, which is there in London, and then one that had passed away in Pulaski County and another in Russell County. So just the devastation that this storm left in a specific area. Again, it's wide spread as far as just the damage, and I guess there's no way to really quantify if it's devastation or not. I mean, people lost their lives. When that happens, you don't probably think much about your home and your valuables. I mean you will at some point, and that is still a devastating thing to experience. But just to see how wiped out this specific area of a neighborhood is is. I mean, I feel wrong as if it's the first thing that came to my mind, but as soon as I saw the aftermath from the drone footage, I mean, my instant thought was, there's no scenario anybody that was where that took place survived. And I don't know if I'm right or wrong about that, but it's just maybe it's the recency here, but I believe this is the worst I've seen as far as any damage in any tornado in Kentucky that I can remember. I know Dawson Springs was really really bad years back. I know Mayfield, Kentucky had a very devastating tornado that did a real, you know, just tear, just tragic damage to those communities, and it's really not worth there's no benefit in determining which one's worse than the other, because there's again there's no point in that.
Speaker 3: But just the.
Speaker 2: Visual of this is just it's it's heartbreaking. So thoughts and prayers to all those impacted by because this has got to be I mean devastating. I know I've mentioned that word quite a bit, but I think that's the best one to use for lack of maybe a better one. So thoughts and prayers, and if there is a positive to take from this is just to see that there is still a lot of good out there, those that have just been trying like crazy to do whatever they can to get there, to be front and center to help in any way, whether it be donating something or putting some gloves on and actually getting to work and helping with clean up. I mean, that is a real That's something that stands out to me more than it did maybe in my younger years, to where I'm always now at least a little more aware of those who are just doing good things for people because they want to, and it's it's just not even a decision for them, it's just what they do, it's how they are. Those are great people that you know. It's nice to know that they're still out there. And I don't think there's ever been a thought that they weren't. But this day and age and the new cycle and whatnot, you know, you don't, you know, maybe it's just us getting caught up in our own lives to where we don't think about it much. But it does warm my heart, if I can say. Maybe that's corny to some, but to see the amount of people here in Kentucky that want to help other Kentuckians who are going through something just tragic. So again, we'll have more updates on that as we learn more as far as the total number, but right now, nineteen was the total as far as lives lost from this storm as of noon this afternoon, according to Andy Basheer. All right, quick break, we'll come back and wrap it up. On the other side, it's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: So Scotty Scheffler, with his PGA Championship victory over the weekend, he's increased his career winnings to eighty one point nine million, and in twenty twenty five already he's sitting at ten point one million. So this guy was already one of the best golfers in the world when he was arriving at Louisville last year to participate in this same event. And I don't see any sign of him slowing down. He's still phenomenal. You don't even have to follow golf at all to know that he's a big name, but I think the best case scenario of the LMPD and really Louisville, I guess catching strays from the situation last year. I just don't think that's gonna go away anytime soon, because obviously he's not going anywhere anytime soon. And I think just because of the nature of that entire situation, I mean, it is such a rare, almost unbelievable type of thing that occurred to where it's gonna stick around. It's gonna be, you know, something that you think about for a long time when you think of Scheffler, because not many can say on their way to any event that you participate in as professional athlete that that kind of thing would happen. I mean, Nike's Nikes ad yesterday for him was probably something we should have just expect. We're not gonna live this down for a long time, but Nike's ad said best player in the world, question mark guilty. I also feel like he clearly leaned into it by showing up at the start of this event wearing an orange shirt that was very similar to the shade of orange that he was wearing in his jumpsuit for his mugshot before they let him out and let him go back to Valhalla. So and he's a really likable guy too, So there's not gonna be much of a scenario where like there's gonna be much defense of like okay, we get it, move on. They dropped the charges like I think he's gonna conte and he's not even the one doing it, by the way, Like I mean, I think maybe leaning into it, as I mentioned with the shirt, but we we're gonna have we're gonna have to live with that one for a long time around here, and I think we should just accept it. Right.
Speaker 4: They also did the thing on the McAfee or on not the McAfee show in College Game Day where he was a special guest when it was a Louisville Miami game, that's right, and they were got about fun at that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's I mean, we're going to be connected to Scheffler one way or the other for a long time, and it's gonna be bad, Like it's not going to be in good, you know. But I guess maybe in a way, like we'll find a way as a city to lean into it. And I doubt that happens, And I'm not really sure what could be done. But he's got he's likable, he's got a lot of momentum, He's not going anywhere. He's on top right now for that pg Championship win. And again, I just think the nature of what went on is something that when you think of Scotti Schefler, you'll think of, Wow, this guy's amazing at golf. He seems likable. Can you believe LMPD threw him in jail before he got to start the PGA Championship in twenty twenty four. It's it's it's kind of crazy. So anyways, real quick, this is a list that has the college basketball programs with the most wins in the twenty twenties. And I think there's a few a few things here that really are are the reasons you see these programs here, and there are different reasons for that. So I'll start with Hughton. Houston's been insanely successful. Shouldn't be a shock. They have one hundred and sixty wins in the twenty twenties. They dominated the American Conference and then but at the time, the toughest conference in college hoops was the Big Twelve. They show up win the league two straight years as members of the league. So Gonzaga they're at number They're at number two with one hundred and forty three wins. Gonzaga is a good program, but like they're there because of why they play in a terrible conference that it's hard for them to lose games. It seems Drake Drake was phenomenal. Dairy En Devrees parlayed that into the West Virginia job, and then what did Drake do? They hired Ben McCallum, who was there for a year and was better than Darien Debrees. Duke is at won thirty four. That speaks to Duke being great, but also it speaks to I think the ACC not challenging Duke the way that it used to. Duke doesn't have as much competition as they once did in the ACC. Purdue's a number is tied for number four. It won thirty four, no surprise. Matt Painter has phenomenal and they had two years where they had two of the best teams in the country. I mean, was Zach Edy was there. They played in the championship game one year. They did lose in the first round to a sixteen, but they were a one seed, so they won a lot of games then last year they were really good. Yukon is at one thirty. That speaks to Dan Hurley in the run that he's been on in quite some time. So the rest of the top ten, it's Arizona obviously they they've been really good under Tommy Lloyd. Alabama's right behind them. Nat Oates has gotten it rolling. Tennessee. Rick Barnes has been the most has been the winningest SEC coach in league play since he was hired, So not a surprise there. And then Kansas is at one twenty seven, which actually surprises me because the last two years, I bet if you just do this based off of two thousand to twenty twenty three, I'd be willing to bet that Kansas would have been a lot higher. But they've lost a lot of games in the last few years that you wouldn't necessarily expect. But the other thing I wanted to get to is you've got teams, and this is this is based off like the top thirty. You've got teams like Texas State, who's in the top fifteen. You may think, what well Texas State their coach who was a big part of all those wins, at least most of them. I should say not all of them, but a lot of them was Grant Masilic, Ormsillic or something like that, who's now at Texas Tech, who just took them to the Elite eight. You've got Vcu Ryan Odom, a really good coach, a lot of those wins. In fact, all those wins are probably him now he's at Virginia. You've got Liberty. They've been really good at their level. Their coach is kind of I think they've stayed with the same guy. But then you go to Utah State. They had a very successful coach who I can't remember where he left to take over, but he won there, and then they ended up hiring Youngstown State's coach who ended up taking over big jump from him to go to Youngstown State to Utah State. He won a bunch of games in his first year. So what I'm getting at is this is to me at least a sign that you can, in this current era take a coach who wins a lot at a lower level and not necessarily be worried about can they make the jump? You never know, but if there iss good of coaches, as you believe, they'll be able to utilize the resources at the better job and win, and you know what, the guys who take over for them will be able to sustain, at least to an extent if those coaches that they're taking over for were as good as you thought. So I just think moving forward, hiring guys like Pat Kelcey and Mark Pope who climbed the ladder the way they did, I think that's the better payoff for these jobs, which by the way, there's going to be other big jobs opening up, especially in the ACC, in the years to come. So I just think that's the path you should go if you're a college program. All Right, we're at a time you guys, enjoy your evening, have your night,