Speaker 1: It's been four months since I deployed this Spec five relay solar node for Meshtastic here at my Galveston house and put it right on top of the pergola right there.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you can see that post in the camera or not.
Speaker 1: But we arrived here a few days ago and I pulled out my Meshtastic node and I could not see this thing. It was not powering up. But I must make something very clear. I don't think this was a node failure. I believe it was a battery failure. This battery doesn't seem to be taking a charge anymore. This is the rack wireless forty six to thirty one board that came from inside of this.
Speaker 2: This was mounted in here like this.
Speaker 1: This right here goes to the external antenna plugs on the back of the board right there. This right here, I believe that's a GPS and it's either a GPS or a Wi Fi antenna, I don't remember which one. I think that's a Wi Fi antenna, so that you can access it remotely with a little more range to it. And then the solar panel plugs into the USBC connection right here. I powered this up with an external USBC charging brick and it powered right up. There was no moisture in here. I thought maybe it had leaked and ruined the board. It did not do that. It was nice and secure. I ended up breaking this off simply because these two screws were rusted and you can see the rust on it. I mentioned the rust in the first video that I made, and I also mentioned the factor i'd put it up with zip ties. A lot of you said that the zip ties would be the first thing to fail, and I was like, no, the screws are going to rust before anything. I should have put like liquid tape or spray painted into something, and I didn't do that. So the zip ties were fine. No problems with the zip ties at all. The zip ties held the thing just fine. It was up there just like it should have been. So those of you who didn't believe in my zip tie idea, we were wrong about that.
Speaker 2: Just say it. Just say it.
Speaker 1: But the device itself would not power up, and again I really think it was because of this battery.
Speaker 2: So I've ordered a new battery for it.
Speaker 1: I'm going to rebuild this device, but in the meantime, I'm going to deploy this new new to me, Well, new here, I should say Seed Studios P one Solar node. I put this together yesterday. It's been sitting on the table since yesterday afternoon. I did spray paint all of these brackets here. They were like a naked metal color. They were like a stainless steel color. And stainless steel it's not going to hold up down here. One thing about this that I don't like as well. First of all, the solar panel is not as big. The Spec five has a twelve watt solar panel. That's this got big guy right here. This guy, I believe is either like a five or six watt solar panel. Now down here with all the sun is probably going to be fine, okay. And it really kind of depends on the size of the battery. So the size of the battery between these two are comparable, but it's just not going to get as much charge. But the thing I really don't like about this Seed Studios node is that it's got this smaller antenna on it that's not going to be as high of a gain as this big antenna right here. So I can change that out later. I can totally change that out later. This is the stock Coax that came with the Seed Studios device, and I'm going to change this out for ABR Coax at some point in the future, and I.
Speaker 2: Will probably upgrade this.
Speaker 1: But today I'm going to deploy this Seed Studios node up where the Spec five relay was right there on top of my pergola. I am going to zip tie it again. It's going to take one of these zip ties right here and secure it up there.
Speaker 2: Actually I might do two.
Speaker 1: The bracket's not as big on this one, but the node itself is smaller and lighter weight than the Spec five relay was either, so I'm happy with the Spec five. I think that the battery issue was due to the fact that this battery stamped twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: I put it up in January of twenty twenty six. It should have lasted longer than that, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was afraid that the rest would get to it, or that the moisture would get to it, and that did not happen.
Speaker 2: I think it was just simply a battery failure.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna put up the Seed Studios P one today and I'm going to let it run on meshtastic. Something I tested When I first got here, I couldn't get into the Spec five relay node, so I took it down. I powered up with an external power source that powered right up. I connected to it with my phone and I scrolled through there and I found I think it was something like eighty nodes that it had seen. I mean, the thing only lasted like a week to ten days after I left it, and then the battery died. But during that time it saw eighty nodes on Meshtastic. I had reset it right before I left. This was Winterfield Day weekend late January of twenty twenty six. Got back here Memorial Day weekend in May of twenty twenty six, and it had seen eighty nodes before it died. I did a war driving video driving around just about the whole island of Galveston a few days ago while I was here on this trip, searchy for both Meshtastic and mesh Core nodes, and I'm going to link that video up in here somewhere. It'll post before this video post right here, most likely. And suffice it to say that meshtastic is more live and well here down here than meshcor. There's hardly any Meshcore activity. At all, So we're gonna leave it on meshtastic for now. I'm going to put it up there, and I'm going to see how it works over the next few months because we won't be back here until Labor Day, which is September of twenty twenty six. I painted this post. It had a little bit of rust around the threads here. I couldn't really get to the backside of it. But something's better than nothing. And we're going to put this up basically like right there to where the sun or to where the solar panel points towards the sun where the sun usually is. The sun basically goes from like this the camera right now, So let's put this around here. Then I'm going to paint the screws on the back of it, put another zip tie up there around it because that doesn't hold it. Yeah, let's get another one.
Speaker 2: All right now.
Speaker 1: Of course is when the mowers guys more in the lawn next word, decide to start so as that we need.
Speaker 2: To in the background. Now, okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: So we got the I got the two zip ties on it. It's pointed again. The sun basically starts over there, it goes this way, so this is probably the best area for the sun right now to hit it, because the sun will be it's basically overhead right now. It's getting a little bit of sun the way it's sitting right now, the sun's right there, and the sun will come up over there in the morning. So I'm gonna spray a little bit of spray paint on here, especially on these bolts right here, which will be some of the first things that reast. Those are stainless steel boats, and stainless steel is worthless down here. But We're gonna let this go, and I'm going to be interested to see what type of meshtastic activity we see between now, which again is the end of May and when I'll be back here was like a week after Huntsville ham Pass around the end of August, first part of September for Labor Day, so there was some really good meshtastic activity. Now to play Devil's advocate, I wasn't able to actually contact anyone. I haven't actually held a conversation with anyone over meshtastic or mesh core from this area, but it sees a lot more mestastic nodes than it does mesh core. Eventually, I would like to put a mesh Core repeater down here also, and that was actually my plan for this one. My hope was to get the Spec five relay check on it, make sure everything was working well with it, and then set the Seed Studios node up on mesh Core and put it over there on the other side of the rooftop here. But since my war driving efforts found very little to know mesh Core activity and my Spec five relay was dead due to a dead battery, I think I decided just to go ahead and flash the latest beta firmware of mesh Tastic and put it on the Seat Studios nodes, So stay tuned. Put a comment below, check the link of the description BLOW. I will put a blog post up. I started a new blog that I mentioned in a few videos back. I'll put a blog post up and I'll link it in the description blow of this video, and I'll have links to this the Spec five and everything else we talked about today, along with some discount.
Speaker 2: Codes for the Seed Studio stuff.
Speaker 1: So let me know if you're using Meshtastic or mesh Core in your area, which one works better for you and what activity you had. So seventy three guys and as far as this video goes, we will see you in September to check on the status of everything.