Speaker 1: A workplace tradition, or maybe not a tradition, but something used to happen in the workplace that when you were first up and coming in your work life, you kind of looked forward to and the more that you were working unless you looked forward to.
Speaker 2: And now people don't want anything to.
Speaker 1: Do with, no matter their age, the after work happy hour. No one's wants to go to happy hour with their coworkers anymore, not even salespeople.
Speaker 3: That was always their excuse to start at three o'clock. Now that's true, I have a meeting, I've got a meeting across town.
Speaker 2: People would like.
Speaker 4: Live to get through their workday to go get drunk with their coworkers after work.
Speaker 2: Right, the work happy hour was such a thing.
Speaker 1: Not anymore.
Speaker 3: Wow, COVID Is that is it because people aren't drinking as much or it's not appropriate.
Speaker 2: COVID had a lot to do with it, COVID.
Speaker 4: When everybody had to stay at home and social distance, that was kind of the first thing that kind of caused the detachment from the office. And now people are like, yeah, I just want to be with my work colleagues when I'm having to work. I do not want to give them any of my private time after work. Also, the younger generations drink less and are more are less social going out pickleball.
Speaker 1: And the old guys. The old guys have all been sued so many times for inappropriate behavior. They're like, I'm not no more happy hours for me, let them go anymore.
Speaker 2: Amount of office.
Speaker 4: Gossip has plummeted because not worry at your best stuff. Was it the office happy hours after somebody just got wasted or.
Speaker 3: You know, man, I remember this is before. I mean I grew up in Austin, I and we came back and started the show back in ninety six. But there was a couple of years. I was in Phoenix and I worked at a legendary country station. It was a mom and pop you know, a lot of them were back in the day. They weren't corporate own and they had an annual pool part already at a resort and it was mandatory and it was overnight.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't know. You can't get away with that now.
Speaker 3: No spouses, oh wow, oh man.
Speaker 2: And there was a lot of hooking up going on.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of baby showers. About seven months later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like it was, but that's how different things were culturally. This was like this was to connect everyone and bond and some bonded more than others, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that was a thing that was a thing back then.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the I don't know, just pure speculation here on why people don't want to go to happy hours with their coworkers anymore.
Speaker 2: Is maybe it's because they're.
Speaker 1: So easily uh so easy to communicate with people now with you know, you can just email them, or you can do teams or whatever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it's probably following each other on socials if you about each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, but it's not the same though, the organized fun team building exercises.
Speaker 2: I was never a big fan of the mandatory fun fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you didn't think it was cool that every TJ TGI Fridays had a big canoe on the wall symbolized teamwork.
Speaker 1: Right, dude? That TGI Fridays in the Arboretum used to be one of the hottest happy hours in time. Yea, No it was.
Speaker 3: I mean there was a lot of office people going in there afterwork.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what, we would go there.
Speaker 3: I worked at Dan McCluskey's next door, and we would go there after we shut down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'd shut down at what midnight and drink as much as you could in two hours.
Speaker 3: Right by the time we clean the kitchen and everything is like one am, it's like, let's go get shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but I mean it's it's hard. I'm sorry, glad to no I want.
Speaker 3: But I wonder in service industry if they still do that, because that's a wild bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is, and they're all hooking up too. Yep. Right with the radio station we used to work for, they had an annual pool party excuse me, boat party on Lake Travis, the double decker party boat. It'd go out there and park up in a cove and you'd see your sales staff in bikinis.
Speaker 2: In bikinis going in the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like I went to one of those with y'all or something. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: One of them ended up back at our house and we had to call the police because we had a missing person.
Speaker 4: I mean, on that, on that level, excuse me, maybe it is best that the office happy hours aren't happening, because that was one that just really went off.
Speaker 1: We need to tell this. We need to tell the story. Everyone just remind them for something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we lived on the lake.
Speaker 4: We had we had a boat in a boat dock, and a bunch of the people that Sandy worked with at the station ended up back at our house from a happy hour already, and this.
Speaker 2: One girl got so drunk. We were looking for her.
Speaker 4: I found her in our as her bathroom bathtub, laying in the bathtub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 4: She got up and left and went back downstairs. I was trying to find the people she came with, and then nobody could find her at all. And somebody said the last time they saw her was on the boat dock. We were terrified she'd fallen in and had drowned. We called the sheriff, like the sheriff on the boat came and had their big spotlights looking. Turns out she just started walking out lay out from the lake, walking and somebody picked her up and took her home.
Speaker 2: We didn't know. Hours later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, our neighbor did the girl and then she quit at the radio station.
Speaker 2: You remember that JB. She quit the next day. I would have remember, I remember this happened. I can't.
Speaker 3: I don't know who their name I can't picture them. I vaguely remember this happening.
Speaker 4: I remember I was furious because it was so stressful, and I was like, somebody could have died. And as soon as Sandy found out who it was because she was cute, he was like, a she's fine, it's.
Speaker 1: No big deal, was right, And I was right.
Speaker 4: I was mad that you weren't mad, Like if it had been somebody less attractive, you would have been mad to all the stress we put into it.
Speaker 2: But she totally got off with you because she was cute. Pretty people do get away from a lot. I know their life.
Speaker 1: That is a fact. So rip to the office happy hour. You will not be messed, You will not be missed. Stay with us more. Coming up to JV and Sandy Show. You can listen online at one three to one Austin dot com. JB says that a podcasting og is calling it quits. We've got the details in just a second. We didn't mention it yesterday because I so disgusted. Still, am Longhorns baseball season done? They lost to Utsa twice, Oh my god. And then they were having a great season right there. We're ranked number one for a majority of the season. They lost in the first game of the SEC tournament. Then they lost, they lost, well, they beat they lost to ut San Antonio in game one, they beat Kansas State in game two. Then they lost in the UTSA again. So their baseball season is over shocked by that. Anyway, onto the next thing. Although I'm all about Longhorns, I was just impressed by the whole program. The rowing team finished like third in the country, which is pretty amazing think about it, because that's very, very very much an East Coast sport.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, especially in the IVYS We've got one of the better lakes for it. It's unfortunately been overrun by stand up battles. If you're a rower, you probably can't use the lake anymore. But but yeah, we supposedly have one of the best rowing lakes. But yeah, that's a complete like IVY League, Yeah, very much.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Have you ever see that movie Man in the Boat or not Man in the Boat, Men in the Boat.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember, based on the book about the That was a kind of a freak thing too.
Speaker 3: That was a small school from Washington, well it was Washington State, not a small school, but going up against the Ivy League guys, it was unheard of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. And I remember when I lived in Syracuse, New York. I lived right on a on a river, and the Syracuse crew team used to practice and I would see him going up and down, and I just remember saying, if I was a rower, I'd be the one of the I would want to be the little person in the back that just barks all the orders.
Speaker 2: Right, you will never be the little anything. I remember.
Speaker 3: I remember after about like a couple of years at UT, I ran into an old cross country high school teammate of mine. And of course in high school, like we're little pencils, you know, the cross country runners.
Speaker 2: I see him all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's Cedar Park kids. And this guy had just ballooned up. His shoulders were like what and he you know, he'd looked like a cartoon superhero, big broad shoulders, big chest, lean waist. I'm like, dude, what did you do? And he's like, oh, I started rowing with the UT club and now I'm on the team. And man, that's how it's in shape.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's super efficient too, because it works like eighty percent of your muscles, and you can if you can survive twenty minutes of doing it. You're getting a hell of a workout. You rose sometimes I see you on straba JB. I do have a I do have a rowing machine that tracks all that stuff. Yeah, twenty minutes is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: Tough, tough workout, not getting that whole balloon up shoulder.
Speaker 2: Talked about it. That guy did.
Speaker 1: An old an og podcasters calling it quits. JB.
Speaker 2: You just ran into this guy too at the abi A right, yep. I did during the moon Tower. I was at the airport.
Speaker 3: I was traveling and I ran into Mark marin the WTF podcast. That's one of the He was one of the first. He was one of the pioneers of now every comic has a podcast.
Speaker 2: Every Adam Curry was another one.
Speaker 3: Adam Curry had a lot to do with the technology behind podcasting.
Speaker 2: And they call him the podfather.
Speaker 4: Yeah, was Adam Curry the MTV guy?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, OK, And I think he has a place in Austin. He does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's made a fortune in the internet after MTV.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Mark.
Speaker 3: Maren has he announced it on a recent show he had Mark He had John Mullaney on I think and he's he says he's wrapping it up this fall after sixteen years and sixteen hundred episodes.
Speaker 2: That's it. I mean, he's tired. What is he just?
Speaker 3: He's done well, here's here's a quote from the podcast. He said, it really comes down to the fact. Let me add to this. You may remember this about about uh Mark Maron. He really took off and made a name for himself when Obama was campaigning and went on his podcast.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that too?
Speaker 3: It's a big deal and is La Garage that's where we first heard about Mark Maron.
Speaker 2: Anywow, he's one of the top podcasters.
Speaker 3: But he said, it really comes down to the fact that we put up a new show every Monday and Thursday for almost sixteen years, and we're tired, we're burnt out. We weren't and we weren't utterly satisfied with the work we've done. We've done great work. Mark, doesn't This doesn't mean I'm never going to do something like this again. Doesn't mean I'll never have talks like I do here or some kind of podcast at some point in time. But for now, we're just wrapping things up.
Speaker 1: Because you're Mark. Listen, you do two shows a week's about an.
Speaker 2: Hour about an hour long. Hey, Mark, try doing it.
Speaker 1: Try slaving over a hot microphone for four hours a day, five days a week for thirty years.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. Let me try that.
Speaker 1: Try that.
Speaker 2: Mark. You're tired doing two shows a week, give me the two.
Speaker 1: Let's do some quick math, all right, So each podcast is about an hour, right, Okay, So let's say, Jabe, let's just do some quick math and figure out how many hours of radio we've done in Austin. Yeh four hours. Let's say let's say forty let's say forty five weeks a year. And that's low, right, because what do we get about three weeks off every year back in the day, and so so thirty thirty years. I gotta do some quick math here, So it's twenty hours. Let's say twenty hours a week. I mean we did it. We did the show here eighteen years.
Speaker 3: But you and I at that point in ninety six, we had a good six years under our belt at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll say, so I'll do twenty hours a week times forty eight. Why am I doing it? By forty eight? Why am I doing o? Because that's no forty eight weeks zero zero one I'm doing something. I'm suck at math. Sorry, zero eight. So that's about that's conservatively nine hundred hours a year. That's dead. So in Mark Marin's world, that would be nine hundred shows a year, right, a year, Right, So let's take that times. Let's say thirty years, and we're at twenty seven thousand, twenty seven thousand hours.
Speaker 2: He's burnt out after sixteen, he's done it.
Speaker 1: Sixteen.
Speaker 2: Come on, Mark, don't you big wiener.
Speaker 1: Come on, it's not like it's not like you're putting a roof on a house, you know what I mean. You're in an eric and studio talking into a microphone.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny too, because think about what he does versus what we've done in each given hour. We're doing all kinds of things. We're gathering news and stories and putting together games and entertainment and writing parodies, songs and doing appearances, all kinds of content. Right, he is doing a one on one interview where the guest carries seventy percent of.
Speaker 1: The show, exactly right, exactly.
Speaker 2: Right, he's showing up. It sounds like yeah, he's I mean, come.
Speaker 1: On, right, we're moving on to a new topic. Every ten to fifteen minutes, right, right, He's long.
Speaker 2: Form interviews are easy in comparison.
Speaker 1: Right, especially got a great guest, Right, you've a great guest that tells great stories. All you do is sit there and listen and try and stay out of the way. Yep, right, let them tell it. So wow, crime a river, mister.
Speaker 4: I feel like yall, I liked Mark Maren when we first started talking about this, and I feel like, now y'all are mad Mark.
Speaker 2: Just like him. But it's like, this is disappointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but here's what Mark, here's Mark Maren's here's Mark Maren's response to us. He's like, well, I only had to do sixteen hundred hours and I can quit. I'm made my money, I'm done, you dummy, he's been got what do you say, twenty seven thousand hours and you're still doing that? Right, That would be his response to us, right, So he would be right, Yeah, he would be exactly right. But yeah, good for him. He's moving on. He'll be back, like he said, he slept the door open.
Speaker 3: Right, well, when people when he's going and doing stand up and people are not showing up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he'll reboot that podcast. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: And you know what all those TV appearances he was getting, Yeah, all those TV gigs, it's because he had the podcast and he would talk it up.
Speaker 2: What was the Roller Derby show he was on called Glow or something, Oh, Glorious Ladies of Wrestling, the Wrestling Wrestling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think he would have gotten that gig if he didn't have the podcast?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Right, hell no?
Speaker 2: Who did we? Who did we? We used to.
Speaker 3: Have someone who worked with us who was getting like booked for all this stuff, and we were like.
Speaker 2: It's because you're on the radio.
Speaker 3: I don't remember who it was or what the situation was, but it's like they couldn't accept that. It's like, that is the We had a producer that was getting all these parts and plays, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like because you're.
Speaker 3: Going to sell tickets on the radio, right, feel the pinch of that guaranteed, right, the phone's going to stop ringing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'll go quickly find out how unpopular you are because now you can't do anything for them, right right, you got nothing for him? So uh but man, how long ago did he start doing it? You say, sixteen years ago? Like sixteen years ago, he was way ahead of the curve with people on podcasting, right. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: People were kind of laughing at it at that time.
Speaker 1: I was one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he did that Obama thing and it just like that was a real pivotal moment for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's got.
Speaker 2: A podcast now, everyone one. I don't know how you cut through.
Speaker 4: Everybody wants to start one, and they'll do two or three and then they're like, raw, this is a little bit harder than I thought, and then they stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I saw I'm just vaguely recalling a stat and it was a couple of years ago. It was something like eighty percent of the podcast in the library and the Internet of millions and millions haven't put on a new show in over thirty days.
Speaker 2: Something like eight or something. It was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I think I read the same thing and most of them quit after five, like they're just they're done with it.
Speaker 2: So anyway, moving right along, so fatiguing.
Speaker 1: Speaking of podcasts, if you're just joining the show, you want to stay caught up on what's happening, grab the podcast version of this show is available every day on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Just search JB and Sandy Stay with us.
Speaker 1: We got more coming up.
Speaker 2: Big news for drivers.
Speaker 5: Presets have landed on Apple car Play and Android Auto With iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Access your favorite stations.
Speaker 5: Podcasts, and playlists instantly right from your dashboard. Try the free iHeartRadio app on Apple car Play and Android Auto and take those pre sets.
Speaker 1: For a spin. Jbiatricia and I are kind of experiencing what you've been experiencing for.
Speaker 2: A few years.
Speaker 1: For just for this week though, just for this week, is that we are we're empty nesters this week. Our daughter is gone until until Friday. So I don't know what we're gonna well, well, I don't know what we're gonna do just to look at each other. Trician knows. What's your plan? What have you even talked about it?
Speaker 4: Well, the first night she's gone, that Landry is gone, she hung out, Sandy hung out with you.
Speaker 1: Jb uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, okay, so that was first. That was his first choice to hang.
Speaker 1: Out with you. I didn't plan very well, did I? No?
Speaker 3: I mean, when when we became empty masters, I couldn't wait for just to be walking around the house naked.
Speaker 1: All the time. You're joking, but it's true.
Speaker 2: But then when when your wife quits acknowledging that you're naked. You just kind of stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I walked by her naked and she doesn't even check it out.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Sandy did that to me. Just a couple of weeks ago. We were the three of us were talking.
Speaker 4: And he's like, yeah, you know, you've been married a long time. I walked by the bathroom in Seltrician naked and was off and just kept going. And I was like, oh, like, I was kind of mad about that kind of those premise. I understood the premise of what you're saying is still pissed me off. I was secretly angry with you for a while.
Speaker 1: By the way, our daughter's gone, she's done at Texas A and M Kingsville for a ROTC. It's called Leadership Academy where juniors and juniors and upcoming juniors and seniors. Yeah, for this whole week of leadership training that they get. It is cool. It's a it's a cool thing. She's scared to death JB that there's this this uh master gunnery sergeant marine that is. I saw him last year. I went. So she went to basical leadership of training last year. This year is a little more advanced. And I went down there and there's this dude. He's a marine. He's about six five six six and just jacked, I mean just and he's got a sleeve of tattoos up his are anywhere is that like the drill instructor, like Smokey Bear hat in the full uniform. I'm like, oh boy, we're messed with that guy.
Speaker 2: He yells. She's like a mom.
Speaker 4: He got in some kid's space and was yelling like one inch from his space, and the kids started crying.
Speaker 1: And I was like, this point, he goes something this this Gunnery start said to him. He goes, he goes, what stinks He's talking to this cadet standing at attention, goes, what stinks?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Master Gunnery. He goes, can that did you crap your pants? Oh my god? I love that. They probably have a huge bag of tricks like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, exactly, break it down then build you up.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, I haven't seen this guy, and I'm going this year.
Speaker 2: I couldn't go last year.
Speaker 4: I'm going obviously to see Landry graduate, but I want to see this guy too.
Speaker 1: She's terrified of him. Yeah, which is terrified she's and I'm like, that's really good that you're terrified of him. I'm glad. So yeah, so empty nesters this week and it'll be nice.
Speaker 2: I think, Tricia.
Speaker 1: The upside for you is far greater because you handle all the minutia and the details and the transportation.
Speaker 4: And the times, all the constant times of when something's over, when she's staying until and then at some point during the day I'll be like, all right, am I still picking you up at six o'clock? And she's like, eh, ish And I'm like, girl, I'm not on standby.
Speaker 2: We are not in an ish situation. I'm trying to do my stuff too.
Speaker 3: This home is not a cell phone lot, great line.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And you want to know what I think, I'm most like relieved to not have to do feed her, not that she eats a lot, but to constantly know what's for dinner every night.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, having to worry about her appetite.
Speaker 4: Right, making sure she has food.
Speaker 2: You know what it's like to be a husband. Welcome to the club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the stewards, they're worrying about whether she's full or not.
Speaker 2: It's like and anticipating whether when that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Why you know, women need a reserve tank, just like the old pickups she used to have. Go out and flip the switch and got an extra two downs.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: I'll tell Santiago I feel hungry, and he's like, we got about twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: That's right. Wing's so bad? Chinese, Italian, pizza, Mexican.
Speaker 3: How often they say this? Just pick a type of food? Can we just get that? Every couple has that conversation. Give me a category and we build on that.
Speaker 1: And I'll go get it as fast as I can.
Speaker 2: It's like we're terrifying.
Speaker 1: We all.
Speaker 2: You guys are when you're hungry, when women be hungry, it's y'all.
Speaker 4: I can feel the switch flip from I'm a little hungry too, and now it's been too long, Like there's something in my brain that just is rage inducing at that point. Remember that driver's ed video where sweet Goofy is going along and then the moment he gets in the car he grows spangs and claws and he's a terrible aggressive driver. Like I always think of Goofy because I'm like, the switch has just been reasonable.
Speaker 3: Then as husbands, we panic, we fill them up and then they overeat and then bitch at you.
Speaker 2: As soon as they reach for the pants and button. You're like, here comes, It's my fault, that's my fault. Why do you get pasta you know what? It makes me blow? And then you know for sure there's no TV watches. I told you so many times not to let me eat so many chips before then I can't control myself. And you know that.
Speaker 1: Get that.
Speaker 2: Get those cupcakes out of this house right now. You can't have those. Yeah, you're a darling for a second if you bring home sweets.
Speaker 1: But God will kill you if you don't kill you if you bring too many.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you strike.
Speaker 3: You have to stand right there and when they're about three quarters away through it, just take the road.
Speaker 1: I can't have it. Not only do we have to not only we have to anticipate the hunger, but then we got to stop. Y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when it's
Speaker 3: Too much to get from over eating, it's like being a hockey