Speaker 1: Welcome back to part two of our series about the disappearance of Nileen K. Marshall. Let's dive right back into it. So, over the course of the next few months, Child find of America received two more anonymous letters which were postmarked from Madison, Wisconsin, as well as two more anonymous phone calls from a man claiming to be the author of the letters, and he apparently shared enough details to indicate that this was the same person who wrote the original letter, but they have not disclosed any information about what was revealed during these additional phone calls or additional letters. The FBI got involved and trace these calls to a booth in the town of Edgerton, which is nearly thirty miles southeast of Madison, but all communication from the man seized after May of nineteen eighty six, and like I mentioned earlier, a lot of the information from these letters has continued to be withheld from the public to this day. But one detail which they did later release is that the author claimed that his parents and his nine year old sister were once killed in a car accident.
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting, So it feels like, Okay, is this a detail that you're giving in order to make it appear like you're sharing something about yourself or is this completely fabricated and a red herring, And that your objective as the letter writer, as the potential abductor of Nileen, is to put out a scenario or put out a narrative that is most palatable to you, and you truly don't want to get caught. You just want people to believe that she's still alive and being cared for. And in doing that, you are going to give background information. Are you going to choose to give accurate background information? Well, if you want to get caught, yeah, But if your objective is to fool law enforcement and to make them just go along on this journey with you, then you're going to concoct details that are false.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like I have to assume law enforcement looked into this angle and look for people from Madison who may have lost their parents and their nine year old sister in a car accident. But presumably this came up empty. And it makes me wonder if he is making up this story. It's just a way to justify his actions, saying I've had a tough life. I lost my entire family in an accident when I was young, and I'm all alone, so therefore it's okay for me to just pick up this random girl walking down the road and raise her as my own, even though I stole her from her own parents.
Speaker 2: And like, even if those details were true, given the time period, I'm thinking, like, oh, it'd be easy to do database searches and to like figure out this information. But I just don't think it would be very easy. During that time period, law enforcement agencies weren't very good at speaking to each other, and a lot of times today they're not that great at speaking to each other, and if they put all the information into a database is like TBD. So to assume that just because he put that information out there that they would be able to find that, I guess is maybe overstating their abilities based on the technology of the time. But I also think it's more when you put information out there, somebody is going to be triggered by that if you put it out to the public, more so than law enforcement, right, Like, because if it would have been his sister and his parents many many years ago, who knows how well that was documented or put into any database, But yet there would have been people that would have known this family and something would go, oh, I know, like that was the Joneses or whomever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking is that they didn't release this initially, but they probably thinking that, hey, this might ring a bell, like someone will remember growing up with someone who lost their parents a nine year old sister in an accident, and may be it will compel someone to come forward. But unfortunately it doesn't look like this lad anywhere, So, like I said, it was featured on Unsolved Mysteries in November of nineteen ninety and contained a heartbreaking interview with Nileen's mother Nancy, where she made this statement quote, I still look for I always will every time I'm at an airport, every time I'm at a resort, every time I'm at an amusement park. Sure I look like I'm having a good time, but I'm looking for my child every minute that i'm out end quote. And that's so sad because this is one case where, like I'm sure many parents of missing children come to terms with the fact that they're probably dead, but this involves a perpetrator who claims that he has her and is still raising her out there somewhere under a new identity. So you can understand Nancy's feeling that every time she goes out, I'm going to look for all the children and just kind of pray that maybe I'll see Nileen out there somewhere being raised by a different person.
Speaker 2: That's so sad, and I don't know what is the right answer. I think it would vary from parent to parent and situation. But to have that hope and to hold on to that hope is one thing. But to know the reality of what actually happened to your child, I know, would be incredibly deflating. And some people would prefer that, but other people would likely choose to hold on to hope just because it gives them something to keep going and to keep trucking forward even though there isn't a resolution. And I wouldn't judge either decision, because obviously, to lose a child and to have to contend with the potential outcomes whether your child is alive or dead and what may have happened to them is such a weighty endeavor and any parent that has to go through this, and we've covered so many of these cases, it's monumental the amount of impact, and it can't be overstated that it has both on mental and physical health. There is something where when hope is gone and the reality sets in, it's a whole other kind of trauma that you have to deal with.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly. And we've heard other cases where the parents of missing children die at young ages just because of all the stress and the grief. And she lost Nileen at the age of four, and Nilen, if she had still been alive at the time Nancy gave that interview, would have been twelve years old at the time, So you got to understand, like, what a weird situation to be. She's out in public and she's looking for like twelve year old girls who were older than Nileen and thinking, wow that she kind of has a resemblance to her. Could that be Nileen? And it's just so hard to have any peace when you have to live like that. So one of the strangest elements of the Unsolved Mystery section is that they mentioned that a couple months before the segment was filmed on Nileen's uncle learned about another unsolved child abduction in a different part of the country where the child had been abducted by a couple, an unidentified man and woman, and when he saw the two composite sketches of this couple he who were wanted for questioning. In that case, the uncle became convinced that he had seen them and Helen a National four during the first day of the original search effort for an Eyleen. So they released the composite sketches during the Unsolved Mystery segment. Yet they did not release the composite sketch of the man in the purple jogging suit. And I find that kind of odd because when you look at those sketches, they look like a generic man and woman, and I have a feeling the uncle might have just been trying to hold on to hope, because I don't know how we could look at these sketches seven years later and then just think, oh, yeah, I remember seeing them in the forest during the search effort for an Eileen. Yeah. It's kind of weird that they would lease this pretty thid lead and show these sketches on TV, yet not the sketch of the man in the jogging suit.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was more of the attitude that information from an adult is more credible than information from children. But in this specific case, I would take the information from children, and like we've talked about how that was a product of the time. I think that view that maybe children weren't there to provide accurate information was largely a product of its time. That we know that yes, children can make things up, but oftentimes they have accurate memories of things that happened if you can piece it together. And like in this case specifically, I think it's incredibly pertinent information because we have multiple children who don't know each other sharing the same stuff. And I find it wild that they did not put that composite sketch of the purple jogging suit guy out there that they gained through the hypnosis sessions with the children, But seven years later the uncle thinks that he saw this couple. We now know there's been so many studies on eyewitness identification. There's been there's a lot of videos out there. You could just go and watch them. How people miss key details and it's just the way that our mind works. We think that it's infallible and that we remember everything accurately, but the reality is we just we don't. And so, like Robin just said, the uncle is trying to hold on to some kind of hope, and I cannot fault him for that. I think it's sort of like the mom seeing Nileen everywhere, seeing her where she is, because you truly hope that this is something that is going to lead to your daughter or in this case, to your niece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And just the fact that the uncle said he saw them during the search effort and not the actual day that Nileen went missing, and he didn't see her anywhere near the Nileen And like maybe a couple who looked like that showed up for the search effort, but that doesn't mean they were involved. They could have just been volunteers who were trying to help. But after so much time, I can understand why he would want to grasp to any lead that he can. So after the episode aired, the show's telecenter received a whole bunch of new tips, but the most promising one was an official from a school in Sawassin, which is a suburban community located just south of Vancouver, British Columbia, your Neck of the Woods. He saw the age progress photo of Nileen and became convinced that she was a thirteen year old student at his school named Mary Ann Kelly. For the past six years, Mary and her father, Robert William Kelly, who was raising her alone as a single father. Have been living just across the US border in the communit unity of Port Robert's, Washington, and would cross the border to attend this school in Sawassen.
Speaker 2: It's Towahson, Oh, Towason.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yeah, I figured you would know because you're from the area. But the school staff always had their suspicions about Robert because he never provided them with a phone number, and whenever they asked for an address, he always told them that they were between addresses. And whenever Robert dropped Mary off at school every morning, he would always go to her classroom and look through the windows to make sure she was there. So they started wondering could this be an abducted child being raised by her kidnapper? And because they thought that Mary had a resemblance to Nileen, the agent hands composite sketch. That's why they decided to call the Unsolved Mysteries Telecenter. Though in retrospect, it seems pretty wild that like someone who kidnapped a child would be living in Washington State and crossing over the border every day to take their child to a school in British Columbia. I mean, I know it was nineteen ninety when you didn't have to have a passport to go over the border. But that just seems incredibly risky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're taking your life into your hands literally every day, crossing the border, being questioned, having this child with you, and so these two things they seem incongruous to me. So he's so concerned that he's going to be like looking through the window and almost seeming sketchy about it. But yet he's willing to cross a border and be questioned by border agents or border guards, and they are notoriously stringent for details. So if he didn't have the right documentation or paperwork or they got a weird vibe, he's going to have his butt hauled in there, and more questions are going to be asked. So it leads me to believe that if you've abducted a child, why take that risk every single day that you've got to take that child to school. It just doesn't add up for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they never explained why he did that. I don't know if maybe there just weren't any schools available in Port Roberts on the US side of the border, so he was forced to take her to this one in British Columbia. But regardless, the FBI took this lead seriously and decided to performed surveillance on the Kellys, and after looking at Mari Anne's school records, the FBI was able to confirm that yes, they were false and that even if this girl wasn't Nileen, she may be another abducted child. They managed to obtain a search warrant for the Kelly family and it turned out that yes, Mary was not actually Nileen, but she was a completely different missing child who had been abducted by her non custodial father and they had been on the run for the past eight years. So during a search of the Kelly residents, the FBI uncovered a box containing a number of personal items, including a birth certificate with the name Monica Bania. The box also contained a number of photographs which had been taken years earlier and featured Robert and Mary alongside a woman named Rosemary Banilla Levi, and it turned out that Rosemary had once been married to this Robert William Kelly, but that was not his real name. He was actually a guy named Guillermo Ruiz Bania, and that to this child, Mary Anne Kelly was actually his daughter Monica, whom Guillermo had abducted from his mother in California years earlier.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, so did she get reunited with her mother?
Speaker 1: She did, yes, like thankfully, this was like a non custodial abductions by her own father, so it wasn't one where she was being kidnapped and abused or anything like that. It turned out that he originally lived in Burbank, California. Guillermo and Rosemary were married and Monica was about four years old at the time, but apparently things fell apart when Guillermo developed a very bizarre obsession with John Lennon. After Lennon was assassinated in December of nineteen eighty, Guillermo apparently cried NonStop for two weeks and became convinced that he was the reincarnation of John Lennin, so he started altering his appearance to look as much like him as possible. He was growing out his hair, growing a beard, putting on glasses like Lenin even though he didn't actually need them, and he told Rosemary that he wanted her to become just like John Lennon's wife, Yoko Ono, and this was pretty much the breaking point where Rosemary told Guillermo, Yeah, I think I want to divorce you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this sounds really bizarre. It sounds like Guillermo is having a bit of a break with reality and there's potentially some mental illness at play here. So to be the reincarnation of somebody, wouldn't they have had to have been dead at the same time, around when you were being born? Or did John Lennon's soul just like jump into his body?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on the Unsolved Mystery segment. They show like a couple of old photos of Guerimo from nineteen eighty and it's just so creepy. He seems to think that Glennon just jumped into his body after he was assassinated, and he's trying as much as possible to look like him. And I know that they were planning a divorce. But in September of nineteen eighty two, Rosemary returned home from work and was shocked to discover that Guillermo had emptied the house of all of their personal possessions and ran off with Monica. And the following day, Rosemay received a call from one of Gierimo's family members, who told her that she would never see Monica again, and that Monica had been told that her mother was dead, and because at that time Guillermo was technically still a legal guardian of Monica, the police would not be able to launch an official missing person's investigation until the courts illegally awarded Rosemary full custody of her daughter two months later. But by that point so much time had passed that Guiamo and Monica were long gone and it seems like they arrived in Port Roberts, Washington and started a new life under a new identity under the names Robert and Mary Kelly, and that Guillermo was going across the border every day and taking Monica to this school in British Columbia, and that the police had no idea where they were even though she was reported missing, and the investigation was at a dead end when by pure chance they were found because of unsolved mysteries, because a tipster believed that Monica was Nileen K. Marshall.
Speaker 2: This is such a bizarre element of this case, adding in Guillermo crossing the border from Port Roberts into Tawawson to take his daughter to school, like you're opening yourself up to so much risk. I wonder what the school situation Roberts was and why he felt like he needed to cross the border. Because if you're going so far as to change the name of your child, you're changing your name. You're doing everything you can to try to evade Rosemary and to keep your daughter. And like, my heart goes out to Rosemary. I cannot imagine what it would feel like to come home and to look around and your belongings are gone. Your husband is gone, which maybe you don't care so much about that part, because things were fractured or falling apart with respect to your marriage, but your daughter, and I'm sure that broke her heart. Not having any proper recourse, these non custodial parental abductions, they're mind boggling to me because it happens so often, and it becomes really difficult when that parent is from a different country and then they take the child there any kind of legal recourse trying to get that child back is so so difficult. So my heart breaks for what she had to endure here. I can't even imagine. So at the very least, at least we saw mother and child reunited in this specific case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just such a crazy twist of this whole story because after Monica's identity was confirmed, she was finally brought back to her mother in Burbank, and it was just in time for Christmas that year, so unsolved mysteries filmed and emotional reunion where Monica got to meet her half brother Dorian for the first time because Rosemary had gone on to have another child, and Guillermo was finally arrested in charge with parental kidnapping. So even though the Nileen K. Marshall case has remained unsolved that it is incredibly sad story. The silver lining is just by pure coincidence. It paved the way to a happy ending in another case, and a missing children's case which had not gotten any publicity at all, just wound up being solved purely by accident because of a case mistaken identity.
Speaker 2: And maybe you share this detail, but I'm just cure how many years was Guillermo on the run with Monica?
Speaker 1: Eight years like they had successfully gotten away with it, and who knows how much longer they would have been able to remain hidden out. It's possible she never would have been found in returned to her mother if Nileen's case enopen featured on Unsow Mysteries, and the school official confused Monica for Nileen K. Marshall.
Speaker 2: I wonder how Guillermo got Monica to keep quiet during that whole time period and not say anything about her mother or the situation. Like I wonder if he was encouraging her not to make any friends or not to make any connections. I would be interested in what her interpersonal dynamics were like with her classmates.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that Giermo's family told Rosemary that Guillermo had actually told Monica that her mother was dead as kind of logic for running off, So she probably believed him because she was only like five years old when she went missing and was very impressionable. But at least the silver lining is that Monica did say that Guillermo was not abusive or anything that even though he kept a close eye on or, he did treat her fairly well while they were on the run. But thankfully she did finally get to return to her mother. So several months after the Unsolved Mystery segment air, there would be another bizarre turn of events when a forty two year old sex offender named Richard James Wilson turned himself into the police in the town of Livingston, Montana. Seven years earlier, Wilson had been charged for the sexual assault of a minor and received a sense of probation, but now told police that he was responsible for the murder of Nileen K. Marshall, as well as another woman from the town of Great Falls, Montana, though none of the sources say who this other woman was supposed to be. Wilson even revealed a location the Elkhorn Mountains where he claimed that he disposed of Nyelen's remains, and they performed a search of the area but turned up nothing. He was held in jail for six days, but released after investigators determined that there was no evidence to substantiate his confession and charge him with murder. And it turned out that Wilson had a documented history of mental illness and made a bunch of inconsistent statements when he talked about we abducted Nileen. So it seems like I don't think they completely ruled them out as a suspect, but they are inclined to believe that you just kind of made a false confession for reasons we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always wonder like why people what motivates them, And I know it's highly individual what people are going through, their personal stressors, what their relationship with reality is at the time, But false confessions are so befuddling, and I think even more so during that time period because people were less likely to believe that individuals would give false confessions, So that resulted in a lot of wrongful incarcerations. So it's good when you actually hear that law enforcement is able to suss out when somebody is giving a false confession during this time period.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am glad that they didn't just take him out his word and say, Yay, we've solved the case. We can keep this guy in custody. But it always blows my mind when people falsely confess to murdering a child, Like I can see them confessing to crimes if they wanted maybe to go to prison, or they wanted the attention. But if you're charged with this and sent to prison, you were going to be treated as the absolute lowest scum of humanity there if they believe you're a child killer. So it just seems crazy that he thought, well, I'm going to turn myself into the police and say that I killed a four year old.
Speaker 2: It always reminds me of the John beIN a Ramsey case and John Mark Carr.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, another guy who confessed to murdering her, even though the confession didn't check out. So believe it or not. This story gets even crazier because by nineteen ninety five, the Marshall family had relocated to Japan after Kim was transferred there for his job, but he was informed that he was going to receive a new transfer to a Mexico so while Kim remained in Japan with the kids, Nancy traveled to Mexico City in order to look for new houses for the family and was staying at the Radison Praiseo Hotel. But on July to twenty fourth, she was found dead inside her hotel room at the age of forty two. She was hanging from a shower rod in the bathroom, and Kim was actually at an airport check in desk in Tokyo preparing to fly to Mexico City to join Nancy when he was informed about her death. And believe it or not, even though Nancy was found hanging with her hands tied behind her back and had been bruised, beaten, and sexually assaulted. The Mexican authorities ruled her death to be a suicide.
Speaker 2: Mexico does not have a very good history with regards to murders of women. Femicide in Mexico is a huge problem, and with all of the drug wars and everything, it's just becomes this peripheral storyline that is secondary to all of the violence inflicted because of drugs, and it is really sad. There's been a number of podcasts on it and all these murders of women and how it seems to be that there's these serial killers that are getting away with murdering women across the border, and it's heartbreaking. I'm wondering if this was targeted or if this was just a predator that happened upon her, and it was just convenient for the police to just write it off as a suicide, even though we rarely see it does happen. People do buind their own hands and end their own lives, but it's a very complicated thing. We saw that in the case of Rebecca's how whether or not she was murdered or whether or not it was indeed suicide. So people will debate that back and forth, and I think this is not similar in the way that there is evidence that she was sexually assaulted and that she was beaten, So you're adding a whole other layer there where it's like she didn't sexually assault herself and she didn't beat herself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. I think like Nancy was probably just targeted at random by someone who wanted to rob her, and that the police were just incredibly lazy and didn't want to perform a proper homicide investigation. I know that when Kim spoke to Nancy's friends whom she had met up with on the night before her body was found, they all said that yet she seemed happy, nothing was out of the ordinary. She was definitely not suicidal. And it also turned out that our hotel room door had been kicked in, number of her valuables, including her wedding ring, were missing. So yeah, it really seems like she was targeted for a robbery, but investigators, because they were lazy, just stood by their suicide ruling and wouldn't perform a proper investigation. So Kim got absolutely outraged by this. He hired his own private investigator, and he actually got the state department involved and after this caused some controversy, the Mexican authorities have reluctantly agreed to change the status of Nancy's case to undetermined and under investigation, though they didn't officially reclassify it as a homicide. But unfortunately, the state department advised Kim that if he continued to push for a homicide investigation, the police would just hold onto her body until it was solved, which might never happen, and would not release Nancy's body for burial. So Kim ultimately decided to relent and call off as private investigator. So Nancy's body was finally returned to her family and brought back to the United States, and she was buried in her hometown of Allen, Texas. Nancy's murderer is technically still consider to be unsolved, but her death is not believed to have any connection to dye Leen's disappearance. It just shows that this poor family has just had so much tragedy inflicted on them.
Speaker 2: We see this time and time again where it feels like the probability is so low that tragedy would strike in the same capacity. I mean, this appears like it was at random and somebody was going to rob her, and so they decided to sexually assault and kill her at the same time. But you think of families like the Kennedy's where there's tragedy after tragedy after tragedy, and it's almost like tragedy begets more tragedy that wouldn't have happened. If you look at like the movie Sliding Doors, had Nileen not been abducted, then we wouldn't see Nancy being murdered, and we wouldn't see Kim being without his daughter and without his wife. So this is just incredibly heartbreaking to think that, just by chance, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, that this could happen to you. And so I truly truly feel for this family. I can't imagine what that type of loss would do. And to think you're still grappling with the death or not death what you might assume to be the death, but your daughter being missing, thinking maybe she's alive, maybe she's deceased, and then to have your wife be killed in such a capacity, and then you've got a whole other fight on your hands because you're fighting with the Mexican authorities who are essentially holding her body hostage. Saying, call off your dogs, stop investigating. We will put it as undetermined and under investigation, which, like, I'm sorry, but I find that to be a little bit laughable. Are you going to put it under investigation? Are you going to allocate any resources to investigating who did this? I don't personally believe. So I think the undetermined is just how you get the family off of your backs. And they are dealing in Mexico with a lot of murders and a lot of violence that a lot of it has to do with drug wars during that time period as well. So imagine that they have their hands full and that they're looking at the death of a foreigner and thinking it's so much easier to just write this off as a suicide. This man is being incredibly annoying, and so how can we get him to leave us alone? And so they acquiesce and say, Okay, I'm determined is what we're going to go with, and it's going to be under investigation, which I just don't believe the under investigation part.
Speaker 1: Of it, definitely, And I've heard horror stories that even if they say they're going to investigate and hold onto the body for evidence, that sometimes they just bury them in an unmarked grave somewhere to get rid of it. So I can to understand Kim's logic feeling that if I keep this investigation open, I may never see Nancy's body again. So that's why I have to back off to ensure that she receives a proper burial on American soil. But yeah, looking back at the Unsolved Mystery segment, it's so poignant to see Nancy's interview where she's talking about c Ni Leen in public places all the time knowing that she herself would be murdered just a couple of years after that was filmed. I remember finding out that Nancy had died, and initially assumed that she probably died of grief for health problems from losing her own child, and then was just blown away many years later when I found out that she herself had been murdered in Mexico. So there'd be another bizarre lead. In June of nineteen ninety eight, when they were looking into the possibility that Nileen was a young woman who had been seen in New Orleans, Louisiana, two years earlier. According to a nurse, a young pregnant woman had visited the hospital in New Orleans alongside an older man in hopes of being admitted to give birth. The woman said that her name was Helena and that she was nineteen years old. But while she said she did not remember much about her childhood, she thought her mother's name might have been Nileen. She also mentioned having grown up in another country, even though she did not speak with any trace of an accent, so the staff thought there was something odd about the man and the woman, but when they tried to ask them more questions about her identity and medical history, the couple left the hospital without even being admitted or giving birth, so naturally this raised some red flags. A couple weeks after this, one of the nurses saw a rerun of the Nileen ky Marshall's segment on Unsow Mysteries and became convinced that this young woman might be her, particularly since she said her name was Helena, which of course was the same name as Helena National Forest, the location where Nileen went missing. So by nineteen ninety eight, they finally found the mysterious Helena and her male companion in Oklahoma City, and when questioned, Helena agreed to provide a sample of her DNA. It turned out that Nancy Hyde provided a sample of her blood to the FBI ten years earlier, but it had greatly degraded by this point, so they actually had to track down Nilen's biological father, Bill Briscoe, to get a sample of his DNA, because of course Kim Marshall was just Nilen's stepfather, so he wouldn't have had the same DNA. But they did a comparison and finally ruled out the possibility that this woman Helena was Nileen because the DNA did not match. But unfortunately there's no follow up. So I would really like to know more about Helena's backstory, since it sounded like something awfully sketchy was going on with her and this other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's all of these interesting subplots along with this case, but yeah, I would like to know what was going on with Helena. If you're about to give birth, what would be the impetus for leaving the hospital? You're in a safe place where you can deliver your baby, and you're running away from that safe place to go where and why? I want to know more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unfortunately we don't have more. At least with Monica Bania, we finally got the full backstory, but it is kind of crazy that they found no less than two older children who people thought might be Nileen and were ruled out, but seem to have interesting abduction stories of their own. So by the time this development occurred in nineteen ninety eight, Kim Marshall had got remarried and relocated to Texas with Nileen's two other siblings, Nathan and Noreen. But during an interview with Nancy's sister, Mickey Kinsley, she revealed that there have been a lot of friction between her side of the family and Kim, as she did not believe that Kim was forthcoming about the details of Nancy's death with them, and also alleged that Kim was abusive towards his family. Kim responded by stating that Nancy's family had serious problems of their own and that Nancy had al always had issues with them and was practically a strange from her side of the family, so he said, you should take anything they say with a grain of salt because they just don't personally like me. And they also interviewed Nileen's younger sister, Noraene, who publicly denied the allegations that her father was abusive, and she stated, quote, my father has never laid a hand on us. It really angers. My father has been supportive of Nathan and I and done whatever he could for us end quote.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's pretty natural with families for there to be some kind of infighting and finger pointing, especially when there isn't a resolution. But it feels so protracted this information about Kim coming out, does it not?
Speaker 1: It does? Yeah, And the only time I've ever seen any comment from law enforcement is during an news segment from twenty thirteen where the interviewed the Jefferson County Sheriff at that time, Craig Doolittle, who stated, quote, from what I've been told, the stepfather was and was throughout the investigation, considered to be a person of interest end quote. But other than that, I haven't heard anything. But if you research this case online on discussion boards and message boards, you'll see a lot of uncorroborated rumors in innuendo about Kim possibly being not only responsible for ni Leen's disappearance, but arranging for Nancy's murder in Mexico City, even though he was in Tokyo at the time. But of course, the few comments we have seen from Noreen, she talks about him as a loving father and says there are no problems in the marriage, no problems with the children. And I've noticed apparently that some of these comments online are apparently from family members of Bill Briscoe, who was ni Lean's biological father, who played no role in her life whatsoever. And Kim legally adopted Nileen when he married Nancy and pretty much raised her as her own daughter. So you've not seen any indication that Kim ever did anything wrong. It seems like it's nothing more than rumors here saying innuendo. And when you look at the logistics, like I have to assume that Kim's like whereabouts on the entire day Nileen went missing would have been accounted for. He was at a picnic with other people. He probably didn't have many moments when he was off by himself. So I have a hard time believing, even though the sheriff says he was a person of interest, that he would have been responsible for Nileen's disappearance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like these insults and these critiques of Kim are targeted, especially since we know that it's from potentially estranged members of Nancy's family and or Bill Brisco's family. So these are people that may want they may feel like they're helping. But if we're going to go off what Noreen has said about Kim as a father and as a husband, and I feel like we've got no reason not to believe her. If there's people where there's any strife in the relationship with Noreene, then we can understand why they would be pointing the finger at Kim, and they wouldn't have an accurate representation of what that relationship was like since they weren't close and Bill Briscoe wasn't even involved in his daughter's life. So I don't know if this is him trying to just paint himself as being the better person and paint Kim as being a bad person, because maybe there's some type of guilt there of not being present and being like he could have done more to protect my daughter, even though Bill wasn't present, wasn't involved, wasn't doing anything. Kim was the one who was showing up for Nileen. He adopted her, So it shows a certain level of care there. And it's not to say all adoptive parents are wonderful humans and great parents. But it shows that he loved Nancy and cared for Nileen. And so what we're reading these uncorroborated accounts on message boards, I'm going to say that I large disregarded. There's a possibility, of course, that Kim could be involved, but I think when we start extending it to these conspiracy theories that he was involved in this what murder for Higher plot while he was in Tokyo of his wife in Mexico, it's sounding a little bit unbelievable. It's not like he could go to the dark web during this time period, yeah, and like set up a hit man, Like how would he orchestrate that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just seems kind of ridiculous here, and it sounds like it's just from personal drama that maybe Nancy's side of the family did not like him and are just trying to point the finger at him. But even though Kim was not interviewed on Unsolved Mysteries, he did do a lot of interviews alongside Nancy during the nineteen eighties, like they were the ones pushing for an investigation. So, yeah, even though Kim was not interviewed during the Unsolved Mystery segment. He did do a lot of interviews with the local media during the nineteen eighties alongside Nancy, because remember, the law enforcement seemed content to write off Nileen's disappearance as her just wandering off into the woods and dying of exposure, whereas Kim and Nancy were pushed forwarding the idea that she was abducted by this mysterious man in the jogging suit. And I don't know why Kim would be doing that if he was personally involved. And also they did a lot of things to help other families because in the mid eighties they formed a nonprofit search dog corporation called Big Sky Rescue Dogs because they felt that if we had had these dogs during our original search effort for Nileen, perhaps they would have found her in the forest. So now we're going to start this resource to help the families of other missing children. And I can't see a guy doing that, killing his own daughter and then going out of his way to try to help other families just a couple of years later.
Speaker 2: I don't see it either. I think the probability of Kim making a big deal about Nileen being abducted if law enforcement. As we know, they believed that she wandered into the woods and died of exposure. So why sound the alarm? Why make this big deal out of this when they're looking in a complete other direction. Let them look in that other direction. If you are indeed guilty, why'd be like, oh, she was probably abducted. That doesn't really ring true to me. And then going so far as to start this rescue dog organization, Big Sky Rescue Dogs. It speaks to somebody who truly wants to find Nileen, somebody who's still committed. If you were responsible, would you really, in the aftermath continue to look and go so far as to start these types of organizations to help other people? It doesn't ring true as like a guilty person's actions to me personally.
Speaker 1: Definitely not No, And in retrospect I kind of wondered maybe if law enforcement like had developed tunnel vision, maybe they were they were disregarding these sightings of the children of the man in the jogging suit because maybe they thought Kim was responsible and he was trying to use hypnosis to like plant these false memories in them and provide this fictitious story about the jogging suit guy to take suspicion off himself, which just seems pretty ridiculous, but then completely change their tune once the phone calls and the anonymous letters started happening, thinking, Okay, like, this guy has revealed information about that Nilen's disappearance which he could not have known unless he was responsible. So it's clear that Kim was not involved in this. But maybe that's why they originally considered him to be a person of interest. But I know that after nineteen ninety eight, after Nancy started the side of the family started flinging mud at Kim, that he pretty much stayed out of the spotlight. He's lived a quiet life ever since with his two other children, and has not done any interviews in many years. But yeah, I completely agree that he was probably not involved in any way, and he was not involved in Nancy's murder either, And I do think that the scenario of Nileen being abducted by the man in the jogging suit is probably the correct one. But it's just a matter of the letters. Here was this guy telling the truth about Kim raising Nileen for a couple of years as his own or was nothing more than an elaborate fantasy, because instead he killed her on the same day that she went missing, and her body is still out there somewhere. So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that Nileen is no longer alive because I have a hard time believing that you would be living over forty years now under a new identity. I don't believe that she wandered off and died of exposure. And because we have so many different accounts from these witnesses about the man in the jogging suit, I have a feeling that this guy was the abductor, but I'm still on the fence about whether he killed her immediately or if at the very least he kept her alive and raised her as his own for a couple of years. Do you have any thoughts?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, I'm inclined to agree with you that the abductor was the guy in the jogging suit. I think more care should have been taken with getting these statements from these children and pursuing the lead. I think they wrote them off because it was children and they thought this is incredible. She most likely wandered off, and that is typical of cases at the time, and the way that they investigated them. Unfortunately, even when it was missing children, and so I believe that there is a possibility that he took Nileen and he kept her for a period of time, maybe a couple of years, But I do not believe that it was a long term thing. There would be a point where she has to enter school and or people are going to start asking questions that it becomes untenable. And so personally, I'm just picking an arbitrary number, but I feel like a couple of years. But after that, I feel like it would become too dangerous to keep her alive. And then all of the questions, all of the things that you have to do to cover up for having this young girl living with you, it starts to grow and it starts to snowball. And I don't know what the abductor perpetrator, what his life looked like, what type of connections that he had, who was in his life, who would be asking questions? Was he incredibly isolated, lived a solitary existence where it would be easy to cover up having a girl living in your house, or would it be a situation where it was more difficult. Maybe he had a partner, Maybe he had to hide her in like a Heidi Hole type room in his place. There's a lot that we don't know about who this perpetrator is and what their life looks like. If it is indeed that scenario that we both believe that it is so, I think that by the time he wrote those letters, he had already killed Nileen. That is my one hundred percent belief based on the contents of the letters. I would have to go through it in more detail and look for statements where he's kind of leaking the truth and or there is deception, But just based on what Robin shared with me, I think she was deceased at this point in time. He's trying to rewrite a narrative. He's trying to resurrect her through his words and trying to at the same time paint himself as being more heroic than being this child predator by saying like, oh, she was wandering by herself on this road. I think that he likely is indeed the jogging suit man, and he's just trying to reframe. Let's reframe this and make me look even better. Let's reframe it and make Nileen alive and that she's cared for and that she's loved. And I think in doing that letter, he just puts out a little bit of something disgusting with the seamen where he's trying to go, Okay, see, I disclosed this, I'm honest, this is honest. You can trust me. I believe that in sharing this gross detail, he's trying to get the trust of the reader and so that they'll believe the rest of what he's saying. But I do not believe it. That word snuggle really hit me in the gut, and I would like to go through this in more detail at some point in time, but I believe his account to be bs and I do not think that Nileen was alive at this point in time. I think part of it is a guilty conscience and the desire to reframe it because law enforcement isn't digging that deep like this isn't like front page headlines, So coming forward was more about him than it was about law enforcement in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me, because it was like over two and a half years after Nileen originally went missing. When the phone calls in the LA start and you're wondering, why is he waiting all this time? Why is he bringing this back into the spotlight when law enforcement is inclined to write her off as just some child who wandered in the woods and died of exposure. But I think you're onto something that he probably kept Nileen for a few years but had killed her a short time before he started doing this just to create this false narrative, and he probably knew it was less risky, saying that if I've gotten rid of her body, that even if they tracked this to me, I could just say it was a prank and they don't have any evidence that I'm the actual perpetrator. And I really do hope that that detail about the spoonful of semen is false, that he never actually did that. But at the same time, you're wondering who could just make up something like that and throw that in there. So it is just kind of a weird letter where at the same time it has these disgusting details, Yet he's also creating this fantasy scenario, saying I'm giving her a good life, I'm traveling around to places like Great Britain and doing all this stuff with her, which I'm sure is completely one hundred percent false. I don't think he took her on all these trips, and I guess it was just his way of trying to clear his con saying that I did this horrible thing, but I'm going to write this letter to make it look like I'm this loving guardian who's giving Nileen a good life and maybe try to take some burn off her parents make her think that she's still alive somewhere and being well cared for. Even though I'm including all these discussing details.
Speaker 2: This is like a left field, but it totally reminds me of this like the classic series of like vander Pump Rules. There's this one character, James. His mom is and his father both have substance use disorder, and his mother exhibits behaviors where she potentially has multiple different personality disorders and narcissistic traits. There's a lot going on there, and they had put a lot of responsibility on this kid who's twenty something to be supporting both parents and supporting his siblings. And they used to have money, the dad had worked for was best friends and managed boy George back in the day and a real fall from grace. But this horrible situation in scenario where they put way too much responsibility on him and the mom looks at him like trying to justify her actions of constantly like asking him for money and requiring way too much of him, and says, you took your first steps at Tiffany's and it's like it reminds me of going to this luxury store when you're a child. Somehow justifies all of these other actions later. And I get this vibe with this perpetrator, being like I gave her a spoonful of semen, but yet she got to go on all of these trips and she could very you know, she could recount all of them. It's like one doesn't cancel out the other. You don't get to say I took her traveling to all of these places. Look at the luxury that I'm providing, and I've got this investment income. Look at me, like I can give her this great life. It doesn't make up for the fact that you just went and disclose to us that you're snuggling her and feeding her spoonfuls of semen. So I think that there's a level of delusion there in thinking that somehow the reader will be like, oh, well that's okay, then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, and that that's why I would really like to solve this case because I really want to find out this person's identity and learn more about their background, to know what they were thinking. And I've never seen this mentioned, but I do know that a lot of cold cases sometimes get solved with anonymous letters when they get DNA from the seal of the envelope if they liked it. So I wonder if they've ever thought of that as an option, and that even if this perpetrator is now deceased, maybe they could link his DNA to the letter and maybe identify him after all this time. So any further thoughts on the disappearance of Nileen k Marshall.
Speaker 2: God, my heart just goes out to Kim here. There's a lot of loss to have to lose Nileen obviously not his biological daughter, but he adopted her. It's essentially his daughter. And then also to have this happen to Nancy, to have her murdered in Mexico, and then to have these medicines or you know, people who are relatives of Bill and or Nancy pointing the finger at him and making him out to be abusive and potentially a murderer, and not only of nice Eileen, but of setting up the murder of Nancy in Mexico, which is just so unbelievable in my opinion. So my heart really breaks for him and the amount of trauma that he's had to endure with losing Nileen and then losing Nancy as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just so much tragedy with his entire family, And like I said, and always haunting when you watch old unsolved mystery segments and realize that, like the family members of these victims have since passed away, but in Nancy's case, to become the victim of a brutal murder that is still unsolved on its own, and knowing that the Mexican police will never try to do anything to solve it. And yeah, I think this could have turned out differently if the police had taken Nileen's disappearance a lot more seriously at first and not thought she had simply gotten lost. But this is a sign of the times back in the nineteen eighties, and it's because of cases like Nileen's that law enforcement and families have become a lot more cautious about people who will abduct and harm children. And hopefully, one of these days they can find her remains and possibly figure out the identity of the person who did this. So that about brings an end to this series of episodes of the Path Went Chili. Thank you so much for your support, and we'll be back next week to start talking about another case.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon, and if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier. One of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode and Incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 2: So I want to let you know a little bit about the jeweles and Nashty patreons.
Speaker 3: So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those. So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at The Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chilly pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy