Speaker 1: Streaming live. I mean, iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my I on the Ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Riverta. You're Jigins House. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: This is Eye on the Ball breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Arizona has sent an offer to Noah the Fieda's younger brother twenty twenty linebacker Dash the Feeda.
Speaker 4: What do we know about Steve? He's pretty good.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good athletic, and his dad's obviously loves a juve Ye twenty twenty six, So that would be he'd be a freshman when no, it would.
Speaker 4: Be around nor could be around what you can do?
Speaker 2: He's you know, I don't want to label him, but yeah, is he good enough to go to the next level? I don't know his size, I don't I don't know, not like from Saturdays.
Speaker 4: Taller than Doug Flutie, is he? You fluty couldn't been a five? Was like five eight? No? What it was like five to ten? No?
Speaker 2: Really google that well, to google that all right, I got it. I know he takes that progenics or what the hell that was.
Speaker 4: I couldn't be Oh, they haven't listened at five to ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought he was five ten. Smaller than five ten. Guys are tall guys.
Speaker 4: Okay, how I was Kyler Murray? Oh he's like five to eight, five nights. Yeah, they're staying on this thing that he's no, he's not, no, go ahead.
Speaker 3: The Cardinals lost the Bills yesterday thirty four to twenty eight.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna tell you, Jay, so I'll give you grief on Friday about your picks, right or not. Not your picks, but how you picked because you listen to stuff. So I picked the Buffalo Bills thinking that everyone wasn't affected. And they had a seven point lead, they had then they maybe a ten point lead course, and then they had a they had a the run back, and I'm thinking, oh, crap, they're not gonna cover. But before the game started, they did some predictions on the channel whatever else, and everybody had Arizona is covering, not waiting, and I'm thinking crap. And they gave the stats that I'm thinking, I wish I had known that they could be right. I'm thinking crap, but they know. Most of the guys are wrong. But they were exactly right. Had it not been for that damn run back, they would have covered covered.
Speaker 4: They lost by half. I lost by half point. Sorry, suck well again, I had the damn begled. Okay, so I'm not gonna feel sorry.
Speaker 2: The way I get a text, maybe you got the same text or the Georgia tech rabling wreck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're they're wrecked. They're dead to me, They're dead to me.
Speaker 3: Actor James Earl Jones died at ninety three.
Speaker 4: Legendary right in the sports Guy, right in his movies Field of Dreams, The Sandlot, which was just Vader. I remember that, Yeah, was Darth Vader. I remember the first time I saw The Sandlot and he was on at the end, and I'm like, this is it made the movie for me. It's a movie that I'll watch anytime, just his his little piece in there. I really wonder how much of what kind of a baseball fan he was, you know, if it was like if he did those movies because he was such a fan. You know the speech at the end of a Field of Dreams. You know, people that you can find that clip anywhere on on on on the internet. But again, James, and then you know the actually the one Jack Ryan movie, the Hunt for Red October when he plays the dude in that and get just one of those guys that you sit there and he passed away at ninety three, and then you think about the fact that Keith Richards is still alive. I mean, don't stop your party, keep it going, keep going. But yeah, that's sad to hear. But you know, ninety three, I'm sure he lived a pretty good life. Didn't never seem to have any bad things going on around him. You wonder, you know how good of a life he had and with his family. When you hear the voice, you already know who it is. Oh yeah, yeah, in a second.
Speaker 2: He's like Samuel L. Jackson. Those you just know that.
Speaker 4: And they just know you hear the voice as James Rold Jones. YEA sad to see him go.
Speaker 3: Tyreek Kill was detained before the Dolphins game yesterday for quote, driving in a manner which he put himself and others in great danger.
Speaker 2: I guess the part of the reason, I guess I just saw something in ESPN that he was being uh resistant he was resisting or whatever those things. There were cameras, but he didn't show there's the.
Speaker 4: Right, there's a he said. She said. Okay, So a statement has come out from his lawyer from Yeah, just a little while ago from from Tyree Kill's lawyer, who said that the dispute that the problem that the police had with them was that they asked him to roll down his window and hand him their id ID. He handed him the idea, then he rolled the window back up. Then they were yelling at him to roll the window back down, and he wouldn't roll it all the way down.
Speaker 2: Jay if Rick is is, I don't know what kind of attorneys Rick?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all kinds.
Speaker 2: Okay, So let me say this, because attorneys advise you to keep their card there and show the card or whatever without rolling down the windshield, you don't.
Speaker 4: You don't have to. You don't have to talk to them when that happens. You got to give them your ID. Is that is that a rule? I see those things on you have. If they ask you for your idea, you have to provide ID. Really, yes, yes, because they're conducting an investigation, whether it's just for a traffic violation or what you have to give them your idea. Okay, So did they say why they stopped him that they they said it was a minor traffic a minor traffic stop. So minor truck turned into that. Yeah, and that happens. That's the thing. Look, that's the thing that happens all the time. Well anyways, that he said, she said, so there's there's you know, he gives this whole account. The window going up and down there and they were they were yelling them that they were going to break the window, and YadA, YadA, YadA. And then the the police department issued their own statement and it said, upon being stopped, mister Hill was not immediately cooperative with the officers unseen who are pursued the policy and for their immediate safety, placed mister Hill in handcuffs. Mister Hill is still on cooperative refuse to sell on the ground and was therefore redirected to the ground.
Speaker 2: So if there anybody is an attorney who handles these type of things and listening to us, give us a call.
Speaker 4: And maybe it's a state to state. I think. I think the requirement in law enforcement is if you're pulled over for an infraction, you have to give them your driver's license. You have to give driver's license and registration that if you don't, then you get a ticket for that. Really.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've been watching some bad cops, I guess, and I mean cops shows.
Speaker 4: No, I've seen I've seen things where people refuse to do that and then they end up getting pulled out of their car and they fight the cops and they get a felony out of it. I think pretty sure that if you're if they request license and registration when you're pulled over for a traffic violation, you have to give it to him, and if you choose not to, then you're deemed resisting and they can arrest you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see if that's true in Arizona one. And then it's like refusing to do the breathalyzer.
Speaker 4: I guess, same thing if a breathalyzer. If you refuse to give a breathalyzer, then you're just arrested and you're taking.
Speaker 2: I'll give it an incident that happened to me, and this is stupid because it doesn't make sense in this part. So I was out late one night, I don't know, five years ago. I was driving up Campbell or something like that or first and a cops stopped being like before river and it was like one o'clock, about the drinking time, you know, and I don't drink, went out in public having drink something out with the guys playing, and he stopped me and says, well, you were speeding, but I want to do a sobriety test. So I said, this is strange, and I said, but I didn't drink. So he pulled me on anyway, that pulled me on.
Speaker 4: I got out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me says well, I want to let you go because you were good and you didn't fail anything.
Speaker 4: But I didn't do anything. If I was speeding. Don't you think he would.
Speaker 2: Have given me a speeding ticket, not necessarily why, because they don't have to.
Speaker 4: They can give you a warning or just warring. He didn't give me that. He just said, I'll let you go. Yeah, you can just tell you I'm not going to give your take and let you go. I mean, I've had I've had that happened to me.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he should have given me, but I'm sorry he stopped me for the purpose of.
Speaker 4: Checking to see if you're a hammer right right, and they do that. I'm walking home. I've on more than one occasion been pulled over and told you know, I was speeding. And then you know, you talk to him, you're nice to him, you're polite, you do what they ask you to do. Then they say, okay, you know, okay, but you can go okay.
Speaker 2: What if what if you said, prove it to me that I was speeding?
Speaker 4: First they show you. They'd show you a radar or whatever, or they just say I was following you and you.
Speaker 2: Were going over the speed and this guy was just on the set.
Speaker 4: They're allowed to do that. He probably had he probably had a a radar on. I look, I understand, and and let's you know, and let's let's say it is what it is. Right. You know, African American people are very suspect of when they get pulled over by the cops because so many bad things happen, no question office, right. And I mean, this is Tyreek Hill outside the stadium, trying to get into the stadium. Nobody has said what the traffic infraction was. This is your guy, the golf guy, Yeah, yeah, Scotti Sheffer, right, But nobody has said what they pulled him over for. Nobody has said that how this all started well, right, but that but you know, you have you have the police saying he was uncooperative. You have him and through his lawyers saying that he was as cooperative as he needed to be sure. And so there's been no video of the start of this thing, just at the end when they put him in handcuffs and then they take him to the ground. So who knows what's going on and all of that. I don't know body cameras were on or any of that. They should have been, right, okay, but these things, there's gonna be more to the story, right, And then you know what, And the thing of it is that sometimes he's escalate and don't need to escalate. And sometimes the person you know, getting pulled over escalates it. Sometimes the cops escalation stuff. And you know how how you know these cops came and said, oh, we've got Tyreek Hill, right, and now you're gonna treat him, and and then you don't realize everybody's got their camera on and if you screw up, everybody's gonna know it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, the packers will not put Jordan Love on injured reserve, but we'll start Malik Willis in his absence for a couple of weeks trouble.
Speaker 4: So I guess he's on my fantasy team, Jordan Love. Guess who else? Oh Man? Some who went to hurt Pokka as the receiver for the Raider or the Rams. But those guys are on my team.
Speaker 2: Who Henry, you've been with this helo?
Speaker 4: What have you learned?
Speaker 2: Don't tell Jay anything, what you're doing, who you're picking, don't tell him anything.
Speaker 3: Whatever Jay says, just go again, go against it.
Speaker 4: Don't tell him anything, because you're doomed if you do. I I wasn't you know.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I had the game on, which was the Rams game on. It was a great game, but I'm I was in the middle of something else and it kind of lost track of the game. And then I look at the TV and he's going off in a cart and I'm like, what the hell happened?
Speaker 2: The Jaggins a curse. We'll talk about this at the end of the all right.
Speaker 3: Christian McCaffrey is out for tonight's Monday night football game versus the Jets with the calf injury.
Speaker 4: That takes all the fun out of this game. Yeah, it's gonna be a good game. I was gonna go home and you know, throw something just to juice it up and watch the game and have fun. And now he's out. I don't you know, I don't know what to do now. I'm glad I didn't already take the rest of us. That's no fun. That's no fun at all, Steven, you know that.
Speaker 2: No, it's no I'd rather not do it. Just watch the game, enjoy it.
Speaker 4: That's no fun.
Speaker 3: That's all I got.
Speaker 4: So we got three minutes off. We'll just keep it here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we haven't talked about the elephant in the room, the ten win curse.
Speaker 4: Oh well, we don't know yet. They can still win ten games or well then.
Speaker 2: Go to the pooper, but we know that that's more likely that was already given me.
Speaker 4: That's the wrench in there. I mean, Steve, look, and we said before these, before this game, before the first two games, we said, we're not going to know anything about Arizona in the First War until until they get to Kansas State and Utah. And I think we're still in that position. They still might be really good, but they might not be good right because of what we what we've now seen. I mean again, sixty one points. I don't care who you you see. Scoring against is a lot of points. But yes, they gave up thirty nine. The defense didn't look great in the first half of ANAU watchally. I mean, when you think about it, the defense didn't play terrible. They gave up ten points. The reason that ten points looked bad was because the offense wasn't scoring and they were losing at halftime. You know. So I don't know that we're sitting here saying that the defense is bad, but the offense did not look good against against against the team that it should have looked good against.
Speaker 2: Sure, so we'll see what happens, if if the running back returns.
Speaker 4: Right and if they straighten out the things on the line, because they've got film on what all these linemen can do and can't.
Speaker 2: Do, and we don't know if the guys coming back. Brettan said there was no new information from over the weekend, which is not a good signing. And maybe it was just a one off, but maybe not right. And it's a one day rest, one day one day earlier, right, so Friday night game, so you know it's coming up pretty soon.
Speaker 4: It's arguably the best game on the college schedule this week. Oh they're not. There aren't any very any really good games just Friday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, hey, let's take a break down. We're gonna come back with our next guest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got ESPN guy, Chris. He's the he's the ESPN play by play guy who called the game on Saturday night. I hope everybody figured out how to watch the game on ESPN Plus. The only downer by the ESPN Plus is that you can't record the games. I think they You can probably go see it on demand if you want to, but I always recorded the games. I come home and maybe I'll watch something. Because you can't record ESPN Plus. It's a it's a streaming broadcast. Now it might be available as soon as the game is over, you can go watch it. I didn't look for it, you know. The game ended early, so I got home and I ate some more chicken and went to bed, So it was all good. Techer break wouldn't come back with Chris Sylvester from ESPN.
Speaker 6: The Windows Depot is more than a Windows store. The Windows Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model shot. The aisles of pre built cabinets and a variety of colors, granite and quartz countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project, need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free design services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel today. Shop the Window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Vera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five to two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 4: Where do you buy? Exercising questions?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health, Arizona Health, Arizona Health, of course.
Speaker 8: To feel better and look, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading edge in extracise equipment. On twenty seconds just quest of Wilmot.
Speaker 7: Did you know sports cards a memorabilia are setting record sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable. If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards.
Speaker 4: They are one of the leading.
Speaker 7: Card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 9: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option the best it's your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volteteam dot com. That's volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona BKO nine two nine four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commitment to Lyndrix Syncredit rates and available loan programs are subject to change with noun notice.
Speaker 10: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your companies. Giveaways keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit their Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Zona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 2: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you. He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Omni Homes International is the real estate consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying or selling a home of Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 1: This is high on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jay Gonzalez Son Fox.
Speaker 4: It's fourteenth fifty whole.
Speaker 1: Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio while just Surgeon I Am the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome bout to you Eye on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Heing's Jickensauce. Now on the phone, we have Chris Sylvester from ESPN. You happen to be the prey by play announcer from the weekend. Chris, how are you?
Speaker 11: I'm good man. I had a blast there in Tucson. It's a terrific gamed environment, and I mean, obviously a little closer of a game than a lot of us effected, but Northern Arizona really good program from the Big Sky. I know Arizona fans were kind of open for a more lopsided finish, but you take the wins when you can get him at this level.
Speaker 2: Okay, Christ, So I'm taking it just from your voice and what you said. This is your first time at the stadium in front of a crowd with this like this.
Speaker 11: I mean there in Tucson. I've been in a lot of big college fall atmospheres, but my first assignment at Arizona Football Stadium and absolutely delivered all the pregame festivities with the the Pride of Arizona and the band and the flyover.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 11: It was just a terrific atmosphere.
Speaker 2: That's where I wanted to go there because your fresh eyes and then we've been here, we're old eyes and your fresh eyes, and and typically we've seen it so often we kind of say, okay, not so good, good good, but you're saying, hey, it worked absolutely.
Speaker 11: I mean that the Zona Zoo was out in full force, and I mean you almost thought there was gonna be a situation pregame where they were only going to stick around for a half because the game would be kind of decided at the break. And I think I think that that defense definitely fed off the energy of the crowd. And man, I mean when Northern Arizona faced you know, that fourth and short, that questionable decision to go for it first possession of the third quarter, I think the crowd was a big factor.
Speaker 4: How did you call that? Because we were just talking about that in the last segment that that, I mean that turned the game. You know, they they're they're they're leading there there. Did they get full of themselves? I mean, what were your thoughts on that as that play was happening when they went for a fourth down at their own what I think twenty nine?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know it was. It was crazy because they had run that quarterback sneak on a third and short in the first half and it worked along the left side of the offensive line, but this time they tried the right side of the offensive line, and you know, their quarterback wasn't all that big, So it's an interesting decision. I know, you have the you know, the kind of the toush push that the Eagles coined in the NFL last year. But it was a puzzling decision, to say the least, because when you think about it, it was Northern Arizona's defense that allowed them to build that lead at the half. I mean, Ifida didn't look comfortable, TMAC only had two catches for what twelve yards in the first half outside of Conley's big run on the first possession. They did a nice job of kind of like bottling up that part of the game. So to me, it kind of felt like Northern Arizona didn't expect to be there and kind of just got a little impatient, almost almost like a like a video game decision to go for it on fourth down. There, You're absolutely right and it changed the game. But it was a few plays after that where Northern Arizona had sacked the Feta out of field goal range, but they held his face mask and the very next play, you know, hits Patterson for the touchdown and Arizona didn't look back from there. But you know, credit Dwayne Aquina's bunch. I know it was a frustrating Week one showing against New Mexico and they got their hands full with KSE State this Friday night. But I thought that defense responded really well. And I mean it was a trick play that that gave NAU it's only touchdown of the game. And it sometimes it's hard to defend that stuff. Sometimes it's hard to fault the defense. But you know, even with gunner Maldonado and some other guys out on that defensive unit, I thought it was really encouraging to see, you know, them pitch a shutout the final two quarters of that game.
Speaker 4: So what impressed you that night?
Speaker 11: Well, I think it was just yeah, I think it was just the I think the defense more than anything. I mean, obviously, the offense was a little underwhelming until you know, Kendrick Resono breaks that big touchdown in the fourth quarter to kind of put the game out of reach. You know, the team act didn't look like himself. I mean he kind of you know, sitting by himself on the bench when he wasn't on the field. He was, he was off the field on certain plays and in situations where you'd expect him to maybe be a factor in that offense. So obviously, you know, Fafita after that Week one game against New Mexico talked about trying to get the ball out to more guys and so you know, Jeremiah Patterson's got to be a factor in this offense. You'd like to see them use the tight ends. I know Brent Brennan was very complimentary of that group. I know they had some changes and they were kind of toying with some stuff on the offensive line. But I would just say the defense man, I mean, get getting that safety in that spot. Shuba my eye. You know, big Sky transfer from UC Davis led the way there. I thought Trade and Stukes played really well again, and so obviously, you know it's like you want to piece together the Arizona defense that you saw on Week two in the Arizona offense from week one, and I think that's what it's gonna take to get a win these next couple of weeks out on the road.
Speaker 4: So as you were preparing for this game, and as you mentioned, first time in Arizona Stadium, what what what impressions did you have of Arizona coming in, you know, in terms of what you had heard about, you know, the whole thing about you know, Fafieda and McMillan and the players that stayed instead of following Jed Fish and those kinds of things. What were what was your impression of of what you were going to see?
Speaker 11: Well, I actually got I actually got my start calling high school football games in southern California in the Trinity League, which surveyed as a part of So I was familiar with Fafita and TMAC before they had even committed to Arizona. So I've been following them for a long time and obviously the nation realized how good they were last season. It's the same question mark I think a lot of people have around college football. What is this transition from Brent Brennan you know, coming over from San Jose State replacing Jed Fish do a look like and and I think the offense kind of picked up where it left off in Week one. The defense was was underwhelm ming obviously, you know, kind of kept New Mexico in that game for two and a half quarters, you know, a weekend and a half ago. But you know, preparing for this game, you know, obviously, you know, you see the numbers that t Mac put up with ten catches, three hundred plus yards, four touchdowns week one, you almost kind of expected him to have another big game. I mean, the way too early Heisman talks and and belitting the cough and stuff like that. But you know, even with him not having a big game, I you know, and even with Jacory krossky Merritt sideline and hopefully he can get his situation figured out here shortly, I think Arizona's in good hands with with Conley and recent On. I mean, those not only are guys that can, as we saw, breakoff big fifty plus yard runs, but these are big, physical backs. And if Arizona can can kind of get things together on the offensive line and create some sort of running game, I think that's going to open things up for t mac and ffeed it to connect a lot in the passing game like you saw in week one.
Speaker 2: So I'll go with that with Jacory Krossky Merritt. You well, you guys, what's the first to report that he was not going to be playing and because of some eligibility issues. Did you mention it on your show on on on the pregame or or the show?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know it. Uh, it came as a surprise to us. We you know, you look down on the field from that vantage point, we saw number one. We thought maybe Tacario Davis was out, uh because he wears one on the defensive side of the ball. But then he turns around. You see the crosskey merit on the back of his jersey. I called one of uh to Corey's games at New Mexico last year. I know how how shifty of a back he is and how important he can be for this offense. So, uh that that did come as a surprise to us. It was a surprise to see Gunner Maldonado held out. It was surprised to see uh some stuff along the offensive line. But you also have to consider just kind of the timing of this game, right, I mean, the offense showed you what they're capable of, what they could do week one. No, no disrespect in Northern Arizona. But this, I mean, this is really the last chance on the schedule where you can kind of hinker with some things and see what your depth is. So I wouldn't look too much into the end result, just a twelve point win. I know it was far from the gambling arts before the game. I think Arizona was thirty five, thirty seven point favorite, depending on where you looked. But most definitely you know this team is better with Jacory krofsty merrit and hopefully you can find his way back.
Speaker 4: Well, let's let's look ahead then, since since you've seen Arizona, I don't know how much.
Speaker 2: By the way, Chris, we don't worry about those gamery nods on this show. This is all we worried about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the sky is not blue. Hey, So Kansas State and Arizona coming up on Friday. I don't know how much you know about Kansas State if you've got to see any other game on Saturday again against Tulane, I mean, that's arguably one of the best, one of the better matchups this weekend. Give us some of your thoughts on that game coming up. Though it's a non conference game, it's a big game for both teams.
Speaker 11: Yeah, absolutely, And all the talk, you know Big twelve preseason was, you know, Utah might be the team to be, but if it's not Utah, it's going to be Case State. You know, Case State. It's a physical bunch. Chris Climban came over from from North Dakota State, and I know NDSU was there, uh and played a really competed I thought the NDSU win for Jet Fish was like the big turning point for him a couple of years ago, even though the you know, the big the big wins didn't come into last week. So like Brent Brenton said in his presser earlier today, Uh, Avery Johnson that quarterback, I mean, he's he's like a bigger and stronger Devin dan Pier. And we saw what what the Arizona kid was able to do from New Mexico week one. But you know, Kansas State they've they've clearly got some flaws. I mean, you know, and two lane is a good group of five teams, don't get me wrong, but it you know, the Wildcats don't win that game in New Orleans last weekend without their defense. They get a fumble recovery to take the lead, and they got to pick in the end zone to keep that lead. So you know, obviously Arizona they'll they'll need to they'll need to score points, They'll need to have their explosive plays. You know, Babers and his group don't need to be ready. But I think this is this is a game where if you can contain Avery Johnson in the running game and make him more one dimensional throw in the football, I think that's the best recipe for success for the Wildcats this weekend.
Speaker 2: So, Chris, did you cover a lot of the service games back in the day with with Noah and Team Matt.
Speaker 11: I didn't know, But by the time those guys were at Survey High School, I was I was doing college football. But I'll tell you this, man, they beat they beat that, They beat the polpe out of my alma mater, Saint John Bosco. That's where where ray Sewn Luke is from, uh in southern California, And so you know that's that there's some really good football down there with modern day high school and and Santa Margarita, where where Noah Flapite's younger brother Dash plays, And it looks like, you know, on social media, he just got offered by Arizona last night. So that's that's the recruiting hotbed. And if Brent Brennan can prioritize the Trinity League, I think this program is going to be in good shape.
Speaker 2: So as you're observing over the weekend on Saturday night, did you keep an eye on a team mac maybe body language, how he was reacting to things as well.
Speaker 11: Yeah? Absolutely, I mean you know, it was just yeah. I mean we we even speculated on the air that you almost wonder if he wasn't feeling well, because if you go back and watch a replay, first play from scrimmage, he catches a slant for a dozen yards and the way he gets up after that, he just wasn't moving around the right way. I mean, we we had met with him on Friday, you know, in our production meeting in preparation for the game, and he seemed full of energy. He seemed like himself, like he was ready to go out and dominate. You don't know if maybe the heat, the heat got to him. And I know that sounds ridiculous that you know, he's been with this program for three years, but you never know, man, I mean, it could have eaten something bad, you know, the night before the game or whatever. But you know, t Max, he just he just didn't look like himself on Saturday. But I'd be I'd be surprised if if he doesn't get back to doing t mac things this Friday night.
Speaker 4: What's uh, you know, with all the all the changes in college football, and you know we've talked about those endlessly, what's got you most fired up about this college football season? What's exciting to you about sort of this new environment that we're in.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say it's not the twelve team playoff, because you know we've been hearing about this twelve team playoff for a while. Now. I'm gonna say it's it's the continued parody. I mean, Northern Illinois just knocked off Notre Dame. I mean, come on, I mean, that's the beauty of college football. And I think a lot of people felt like with all this money in the game now and the transfer portal, that you weren't gonna see stuff like that anymore. And and that couldn't be further from the truth. I mean, you have a little little MAX school like Northern Illinois go to Notre Dame, knock them off after they went to you know, Kyle Field in front of more than one hundred thousand and beat Texas A and M at their place. In week one, Bowling Green took Penn State down to the wire after Penn State looked really dominant at West Virginia in Week one. And then you know Arizona, you know, Arizona gets pushed by NAU. I mean, this, this Arizona team is drastically better than the one and eleven team that lost the NAU back in twenty twenty one. But I think it's still the element of surprise that college football gives you. You you can't relax, You just can't relax. And we're still in this era where you've got these COVID kids that are twenty four to five years old. I mean, you're gonna see it in a couple of weeks of cam risings healthy in Salt Lake City for the youths. So you know, I just think it's it's just the you know, expect nothing but chaos when it comes to college football, and I really don't expect that to ever change because at the end of the day, these are amateurs. Some of them are getting paid like professionals. But anything can happen on any given Saturday, and and I think we saw a good chunk of that this past weekend.
Speaker 2: So the thing you mentioned this about a minut or so ago, about the production meetings, So they didn't they didn't alert you of the Jacori suspension or whatever the word it is, you know, sitting out. So what did they tell you in the production meetings anything?
Speaker 11: Well, no, I mean we you know, we talked about the Week one performance and kind of just you know, how this group came together and obviously really a lot of that focus was on just keeping Tea, Mac and Fafiita in the offseason, and you know how that was Brent, Brent Brennan's big priority when he got to the program, and just you know these guys, I mean, you it's a special group.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 11: Talking to Brent Brennan, you know, I think you got to be a little a little patient with the process. But but he's a really good guy. Uh And I think he's I think he's a great leader for this program because uh t Mack told us, you know, they chose each other over you know, choosing you know, money and and and other fame in different areas. And so I think you'll start to see that. I think dealing with a little adversity in week two, with you know, Tea Mac not getting the touches he probably wanted and and having a much closer game against an inferior opponent. I I think this is where Brent Brennan's strengths come in. I think dealing with frustration, dealing with adversity. The first thing Brent said before he went to midfield is time expired. On Saturday. He turned to Jacob Mineu, who didn't look too happy, and he said, look, we're two and oh, we're two and oh we got to put this behind us. So it's a short week. We'll see what this group is made of. Look, I mean, you'd be hard pressed to find a tougher stretch than what Arizona has coming up when you look at the next three road games, going to Case State, going to Utah, going to BYU. In fact, Brent Brannan told us that he doesn't think that in the future of the Big Twelve that they'll ever send a team to Utah and BYU in the same season. So we're about to see what type of leader Brent Brennan can be with this group. I mean, you've still got sixty plus returners that were in the locker room with a completely different head coach this time last season. It's going to be a real testament to this coaching staff if they can find a way to get things done this week.
Speaker 4: Okay, so where are you this week and where can we find you on the ESPN Network.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm back. I'm back home in California. I'll be doing an FCS game at cal Poly and San Luis Obispo. Of course, there's some ties with Rich Ellerson, who orchestrated the Desert Swarm in the nineties. He was the head coach here. Brent Brennan was actually an assist at cal Poly in the early two thousand. So that's for I'll be this week, and then I'll be on the sidelines for Kansas State BYU the following weekend. So it's I'll be around the Big twelve and I hope to find my way back to Tucson sometime before the end of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you'll be a perfect time of the year for it. Maybe see you again. Thank you much, Chris.
Speaker 4: Great good guys, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we're a little over. We'll come back. We'll break some of that down. I have a question about something you said. All right, okay, sounds good. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 12: Hey, this is formal while get Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 4: Space and your life.
Speaker 12: We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with coright equipment and training to get you started to keep you going. Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona Health to lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 10: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, It's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at PMA dot edu. Slash Someday. Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars saving challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member.
Speaker 13: And you could win big. Watch your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home and more. Visit pyramid fcu dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today, Ben really insured and ceeu A.
Speaker 2: Hey Tucson, Steve Rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmund Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to save. Call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven to nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jacob Salas they have their eye on the ball on Tucson's sports stage yet Fox Sports fourteen fifteen, Hey.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to writing a ball, you know, Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 2: He's Jackensaws and got already first texting that Chris was pretty good, very good to come on and talk about stuff. I'm not surprised, Slash kind of surprised that they didn't. You know, all these production meetings, you go in there, try to get the background and try to get some good stories, blah blah blah, and they're not gonna tell you anything about what who's gonna be playing, who's not gonna be.
Speaker 4: Playing, who will be playing.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's that and the more people he listed or rattled off and I knew this, and you knew this after the fact, Jay, that they missed a ton of dudes, so that's gonna play a factor, and.
Speaker 4: They get but you also think that Arizona's got good enough players to overcome that. Again, right right, right, And so again I'm not you know, I know I'm the fan in the room, but I'm not sitting here saying that, you know, forget what it looked like they won the game. You have to be you have to wonder, uh, you know, in a game like that, why you didn't play better against the team that you were clearly superior to. But I'm also not gonna sit here and say season's over. You know, like so many people are, they suck, they're they're they're never gonna you know, they're they're gonna win four games. I'm not doing that either.
Speaker 2: Right, No to that extreme, You're right, h Like I said, the first thing I heard from defense coming out of these games were fed and I think you know, I don't know about that, but you know, you're entitled to your opinion. We'll see, we'll see. Uh, style points are gonna matter, I think this week, which, of course, you know, yeah, you know, forty five getting beat forty five to thirteen or something like that, but twenty eight to twenty four, Yeah, it's more respectable.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Okay, going back to this conversation we're having about the Tyree Khale situation. Okay, I I I uh texted my brother who he's a lawyer. He said that he wasn't aware of a specific statute that says you have to but wait a minute, but he did say that, you know, if if you've been pulled over and and the officer makes a reasonable request because you're being pulled over for something, he says you'd violated, that you should just hand over your license and if you don't, you're probably going to get handcuffed. The reasonable request is Okay, Now, wait a minute, I looked it up. There is a state statute that says, you have to give your license.
Speaker 2: I'm going to try to find the car that I don't know where I got it from. But you don't, you know, don't talk to turn to it.
Speaker 4: Says, it says, uh, the failure to provide driver's license is and he lists the statute says, this statute requires that a driver, when stopped by law enforcement, must provide his or her driver license or, if not license, must provide evidence of identity that includes the driver's full name. Did so you have to have some ID and you have to provide it. So you do need to provide ID if you've been pulled over and a police officer requests, okay, I'm going to switch. I thought that I thought that was the law.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've seen too many cop shows that sometimes they argue, what's what's the word that you wanted to say?
Speaker 4: Oh, sovereign? Sovereign said, who think you know the laws? Does the laws don't apply? You know? I mean I've seen these videos keep popping because I watched one or two. They keep popping up, and sure the one I the one I the one that sticks in my mind, This one I think happened in Florida and a lady gets pulled over and she says, I don't have to have a license to drive. Anopser says, yes you do, and she said no, I don't, and she ends up getting dragged out of the car, handcuffed and taken to jail when all she had to do was hand over her license she had one? Did she have one? I don't know it never said, because she just said I'm not giving you one because I don't need to have I'm guessing she didn't have one. If that was her, If her belief was I don't have to have one, I'm guessing she didn't have one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So why would you be arrested? Now we're turning this into into this type of show?
Speaker 4: What? What? What the hell?
Speaker 2: Uh? Why would you get arrested or man pulled out because you don't have one?
Speaker 4: Well, she has you have to provide some ID. She wouldn't provide anything.
Speaker 2: Right, So did they have to handle you that way because you didn't have one or handling over?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Then pull you out of the car. You're you're now you're breaking the law and they have to arrest you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, But I think it's more of them.
Speaker 4: They're not going to just let you go. If you say I'm not giving you anything, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: But you know, I just have the vision of them trying to pull out this woman because she didn't have a she chose.
Speaker 4: She chose not to follow the officers instructions.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, to go back to the original story was a Tarik thing. I guess we'll know more if they did have the reckless driving or whatever. And I'm not picking signes. I'm not picking signs.
Speaker 4: I'm picking sides. Which side are you picking? I'm saying, you give you give your damn license?
Speaker 2: But what are the circumstances before that? What did they actually, like think the the a dolf guy, your golf guy, those circumstances were kind of like bogus.
Speaker 4: That one sounded like there was some confusion about what they were asking him to do. Right, Okay, that's a whole different matter than you've been pulled over. You've been told you're you're getting pulled over for speeding and reckless driving, which is what we understand, and that they asked for his driver's license. The question is how much would did he comply? And how much did he not comply. The police are saying he did not comply, his lawyers saying yes he did. He rolled down his window and handed him sure his driver's license, then rolled his window back up, and they wanted him to roll his window back down and and and he's apparently wouldn't do it or didn't do it fast enough for them to see. That's the big quit. That's the million dollar question, probably the several million dollar question in this particular incident. You know what I'm saying, that's extreme to me, right, But but Steve, you see some of these words, they just say, I don't have to. Yes you do get it? So, yes you do. And if you choose not to, this will happen. Then we're gonna get you a rust and they'll tell they'll tell you. They said if you don't give me your driver's license, if you don't give it to me, we're gonna take you out of the car and we're gonna take you to jail.
Speaker 2: Would have these videos, I'm gonna send it to you and say this is kind of what I was talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, never find one. I've seen. I see them all the time. Yeah, because I you know, if you're on TikTok and you watch one thing, you keep getting more of them, right right, so they keep showing up on my search. You get on it, don't don't get in trouble. Header. But and again, look, we've seen the the what's the name, the George Yeah, yeah, yeah, Floyd, you know thing and all these things. I understand how there's there's people who don't trust, you know, the police in these situations, and then and you know they don't so but in the end, if you do what you ask, what they ask you to do, nine of the time you resolve it by just following their instruction. Don't disagree with that. Yes, are there cops that are out there and don't want to follow and don't want to I mean, and and just are looking for a reason to you know, to throw you in jail or or shoot you or whatever those happen. But the but the bottom line is most of the time you do what they ask you to do, you're gonna be You're gonna get out.
Speaker 2: And not arguing that because I do I'm too pretty for prison, pretty for jail. Yeah yeah, no, cool, cool at least because you're baby, So your brother, I trust it because he's a cop.
Speaker 4: Obviously.
Speaker 2: It was a yeah, Now I need the more credible guy.
Speaker 4: What you other, brother, Rick? No, No, yeah, I need that.
Speaker 2: If you talk to one source, talk to another, and if you want to call.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, now I just had a former judge say that you have to give the officer. It says you have to give the cop physical possession of your license. If you don't have a valid license, you have do idea yourself, which is what I Okay, okay, that's a judge.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that in the state. Yeah, that's the state statue. Okay, okay, that's the statue. All right, Yeah, all right. So anyway, I learned more about all that crupt than I've ever learned.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, what's the point, just kind of give to him more press.
Speaker 4: Look, there's probably blame on both sides, right of that, Right, it's never one way or the other. It's kind of a little bit in the middle.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see what comes of it, you know, because it was much to do and he had a good game yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I I had, I had I had him in a little parlay him touchdown scoring parlay came through and he and he got me a touch did no? I had Bjon Robinson? Oh? He did he ever get? He didn't score a touchdown? They scored one freaking touchdown. Atlanta had him Bejon and then Christian McCaffrey, So it would have gone down to a two two leg parlay. Since McCaffrey is not playing tonight, that takes a juice out of this game. I already said that.
Speaker 3: But do you see the celebration that Tyger Hill did when he scored?
Speaker 4: I did not he put his hands behind him.
Speaker 2: No, that's kind of like, you know, you're pushing it off, pushing it. Did you even watch and part of this maybe got me riled up? Did you ever see an I follow this thing like forever?
Speaker 4: Uh? The O. G.
Speaker 2: Simpson stuff all? I watched them all, the Simpson Made in America one a few years back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did see that.
Speaker 2: I watched it again over the last week, five part series. What a fantastic just a fantastic thing. And you know these athletes, we covered them, we go.
Speaker 4: Well again, you know, look and we know that there are athletes out there who give other athletes a bad name by doing stuff true and saying do you know who I am? And you know and that kind of stuff, and so look there's bad guys on all sides. Yeah, and we know that, and you just you know, the this could have been an easy situation. Who knows how it escalated, but it did escalate, and now it's all over the place and we're talking about it for half an hour on this show. So so what do you can do? But anyways, what are you gonna do? Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, so good inside by Chris Sylvester.
Speaker 4: Really good. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: We some guys just said, hey, great interview, So thank you very much for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, he's good sometimes. Well, you know, I'm sitting here thinking, Okay, just a few years ago, you were doing high school football at night here ESPN man, we want to talk about shooting up the food chain, right, Well, he looks like he's twelve. I was gonna do that too. Yeah. Always good, good and good to having welcome back again. Yeah, definitely, yeah, definitely, San Luis a Bissemo. Man, that's a good place to go. Yeah, it's a very good place to go. But no, so I was looking at some of the games this week. I was saying, that you know, Arizona is one of the one of the better games. But there are a few good games. You got Alabama and Wisconsin that you know. Alabama a big favorite there, LSU South Carolina. South Carolina is really good. Who did who did? Our guy who?
Speaker 2: Tennessee beat the crap out of somebody Tennessee who? And she stayed okay? And then what else?
Speaker 4: Say? I Purdue's got Notre Dame. So Notre Dame's at Purdue. You go lose another one.
Speaker 2: You're a big And I remember, I remember what I want to ask you because he said he was in the meetings right with the coach and stuff. He said that Brennan's a good guy. He'll do whatever. And we talked about this. I think it was with you the coaches being good guys. Yeah, and that's kind of that's got my ears perked up, you know how I feel about that. You have to have some kind of I want, I want to say a jerky type of thing with you, right, because that's kind of command some respect. And I'm just talking historically with the people you've kind of agreed with me.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, I mean and see, and that was the thing that there was a misconception about Dick because he was a good guy. There was a misconception about him in the locker room, right, and we saw it. I'm on the practice children in the locker get Yeah. We haven't been able to see that with Brent Brandon because they don't let us into the practices. But yeah, no, no, but that's how we would know. Yeah, right, that's how you would know. So I don't know. You know, you can ask him here, and I think somebody did ask me. He says, yeah, I get fired up. Yeah, but Wood's fired up. No, no, no, you got to ask somebody who's seen it, seen it. You can't. I mean, he's not rich Rod and he's not Mike Stupids, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I'll go back to my question to you, Jay, are you a good guy? What are you gonna tell me? Of course, Steve, I don't know that. I'm gonna say, Guys, good guy.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm I'm gonna own up to the fact that sometimes I'm not After four years, your four.
Speaker 2: And a half years, you're funny telling me this, But you know what I'm saying. I mean other people will be and I'm sure he is. He he looks like it, he acts like it. And sometimes when you're a football coach or a coach that's gonna be really you have to have some kind.
Speaker 4: Of you gotta be able to beat somebody over the hill HW proverbially thereiness. You know, you have to have that kind of yeah you, yes, you you have to Well, you have to give them a reason to not want to disappoint.
Speaker 2: You ex and that, at the end of the day is what makes things happen. And I've said this, the disappointment it's like your parents.
Speaker 4: But how much of what how he's coaching this year is having to do with it's his first year with these guys. They're not his guys, right, he didn't recruit most of them, you know, to Arizona, and he's building the relationship and and kind of walking the line maybe that he might not be walking next year over the year after.
Speaker 2: Another one, I'll give you another one because I saw it over on the old interweb that the step up.
Speaker 4: Was too much. Oh god, I'm sure you saw that. I didn't.
Speaker 2: But you know what I'm saying. You could do this to sent but you know you can't stop.
Speaker 4: He's had two games, right, He's played two.
Speaker 2: Games is not enough.
Speaker 4: It's not stop stop. I want to smack all those fans. I really do, not, not forever and never, just for saying just relax, let this season play out a little more. I know we didn't like what we saw Saturday night, but that doesn't mean they're a bad team. They just didn't win by as many points as you did. Hell, they lost to these guys two years ago. What the hell are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll given some perspective, like my boy here, Henry, they're not three years ago.
Speaker 4: But still, well, you know, God, you've been given anything for any win, you know, just a few years ago, and now.
Speaker 2: They have the longest swooning streak. Who would have thought that.
Speaker 4: Seriously longest windy streak, active winning streak and college football ever knows that Arizone has never had? Come on, man, relax, all right, Well we'll kick this around some more different on Monday all week long. Yeah, we'll see. All right. Hey, that was a good one, Chris Silvester, thank you for being here. Uh mendez he menz uh we gave you a job title. But uh, why you know that PEMA soccer team five and zero outscored their opponent's thirty to one. Wow. Crazy stuff. We're coming to you live tomorrow from our new studio. Our new studio, yep, and uh.
Speaker 2: We'll call We have plenty of calls in more than one line.
Speaker 4: Right, we'll have more than one line for you call in, so feel free to call it in. It just moved up exactly, moving to the foothills. All right, thanks for being here. We'll be back tomorrow.