Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's that little beetlegrub in your compost that you mistook for a dead human finger. Alli board just squirming toward one of the most exciting episodes of Ologies in the three year history of the show. I mean, we have rockstar ologists on every week, but celebs, I mean, we have a verifiable famous person on this week, and like what's next Vibology with Paula abdul Iconology with Missy Elliott. I mean, the sky's the limit. But before I sit down with our collective personal hero. Some thanks to patrons at patreon dot com sloshologies for submitting the questions for this episode, for every episode, and for supporting the show each and every day. If you want to join that, it's a dollar a month. Literally, twelve dollars a year gets you access to submit questions for over fifty episodes, so it's cheaper than a parking meter, folks. That's Patreon dot com slashologies. Also thank you to everyone rating the show and subscribing and spreading the word. It matters so much as do reviews, and I read all of your reviews because I love you back, such as this freshy from Carly who says pretty sure ologies cured my cancer, but for real though almost a year of chemo surgeries in quarantine, hearing a Tasmanian devil screech, or learning how not to lose a boat has been the highlight of my journey. You too can experience this enlightenment. No cancer necessary, says Carly. Carly, thank you and please continue to be healthy. And while we're here, big hugs to longtime listener Krista Evapado who just went through surgery last week. Okay, onward now, the title of this one is pedagogology and pedagogy. Pedagogy, what is it pedagogy? Pedagogy? Okay, the title of this one is pedagogology, and pedagogy means the method in practice of teaching. So theoretically this ology is the study of teaching. So learning to teach, to learn to communicate perhaps science, So to be a science communicator in sichom to calm some sigh, and there is maybe no one better on planet Earth to ask than the World Icon of Science TV. He graduated with a bachelor's mechanical engineering and worked at Boeing and has a zeal for all things scientific. He's the author of several books. He hosts several seasons of his own show on Netflix, and after wanting to be his generation's mister Wizard, he's been communicating science for decades and now we all would want to be him. So we chat about communicating science, the intersection of policy and conservation, the joy of discovery, gender fluidity, TikTok, masks, voting ties, monks, craters, and the F word with your hero and my pedagogologist, Bill freaking nine.
Speaker 2: Hi, Hi, Hi, greetings, greetings.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for being.
Speaker 2: Here, well, thank you for having me here.
Speaker 1: I don't know how to do this interview because there's too many questions that I want to ask.
Speaker 2: So start with one of the first ones.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so start with the first. Okay, that's a good idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that wasn't really my idea.
Speaker 1: It's so nice to talk to you, and I had so much fun being on your podcast. I'm such a huge fan obviously, you know that huge chair.
Speaker 2: It's good. I'm a big fan of yours.
Speaker 3: Also.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just going to get right into it. You ready, yes, ma'am, Okay. I would like to know what a typical day is like for Bill Ny.
Speaker 2: Right now, A typical day is getting up and eating breakfast, which usually consists of some stone fruit from nearby grocery stores or the farmer's market which is nearby where I live here in Los Angeles. And then I get on calls like this.
Speaker 3: No, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of zooming that's a brand name, a lot of casting of pods. You know, we do Science Rules. You've been on Science Rules. We do Science Rules Coronavirus edition, and I do a little research for those. And there's always a lot of email associated with the Planetary Society.
Speaker 1: So Bill is the CEO of the Planetary Society, which is the world's largest and most influential nonprofit space organization. They quote introduce people to the wonders of the cosmos, bridging the gap between the scientific community and the general public, to inspire and educate people from all walks of life, and make voices heard in government and affect real change in support of space exploration. Nonprofit badassery, what's happening.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of activity for me associated with that. Then at the end of the day, after a lot of often apples and peanut butter for lunch. Then I go for either a long walk of about four and a half miles or I ride my bike for about what is it, fifteen kilometers? So what is that some number in there ten milesthing like.
Speaker 1: That fifteen kilometers is nine point three miles, which is a lot of miles.
Speaker 2: And I go up the big hill, the hill here that separates Hollywood proper from like the valley, and I like totally live in the valley. And I found that doing these two activities every other day is good for the hips and knees.
Speaker 1: Oh, how about for ideas? Do you get a lot of ideas when you're cycling or when you're physically occupied?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, you know this this idea of mindfulness where you're supposed to think about nothing. Oh would but that I could I think about things all the time? Yeah, And I hearkened to the story of this guy named William Friedman who was one of the code breakers in World War Two, and he says he encouraged the people that he worked with to just think about in the background. You're working on the problem all the time. You're always working on the problem. So yes, I'm always thinking about things.
Speaker 3: Ali, I don't doubt it.
Speaker 2: And right now, man, we are I'm in California. Everything is on fire, no sign of rain to come, the hurricanes hitting the Gulf of Mexico. In the US. We have got climate change big time. Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you ever wonder in all of this do you ever subscribe to any theories of this as one of many universes or just a simulation gone bad?
Speaker 3: Is that just giving out that it's.
Speaker 2: A similar gone bad is completely unreasonable to me? And I'll tell you why. Everybody. This gets back to our good friend Ocham's razor William of Akham, pronouncing it as best I can goes. You know, if you think about it, the simplest explanation for a phenomenon is probably the best.
Speaker 1: William of Auckham was a friar from Akham, Surrey in England in the late twelve hundreds, and I just look that up today. I always pictured Okham to look like some sort of Trent Reznor goblin holding a razor blade with his teeth.
Speaker 4: But no, he's just a.
Speaker 1: Monk who's like, hey, man, chill out. Simple answer is probably the deal. And then like went back to eating some unsalted porridge.
Speaker 2: So one explanation would be that we live. We're all in a giant video game, and our memories are implanted by the galactic over director, the god of the god of the video game, and everything that we do is prescribed by the rules of the video game game. And somebody's in charge. And what you think is reality is not reality because you're part of it. That's one explanation. Another explanation is we're not in a video game. This is actually the universe, and here we are. Yeah, it's just a lot more reasonable to me now. Whether or not there are other universes, there's a fabulous question. But apparently the only reason or the best reason, or the most compelling reason that there might be other universes multi verses is there's nothing to exclude that possibility. Okay, all right, we'll see or maybe it will be shown that you can never see that it's unknowable. Okay, all right, I'm still going to have coffee in the morning.
Speaker 1: And we still have to fix this big ball on fire that we live on.
Speaker 2: Yes, but these are worthy questions, you know, this thing. The two things that get us all all the time. Are are we alone in the universe? Are we the only sentient? Or whatever you call us contemplating our fate beings and where do we all come from? Where do we all get here? And I think the video game hypothesis is somebody trying to come up with how did we all get here? What is going on? And it is a fundamental and amazing question. I mean, I don't know, man, but I sure want to find out. I mean, this is you know, the premise in science everybody, and I know we have questions to get to Ali, I can't wait. Oh yeah, no, But the premise of the bit, as we say in comedy writing and science, is the premise is that the universe is knowable, that the cosmos is knowable, and that we can even ask that question is amazing. It fills me with reverence every day that we are made of the dust of stars and so we are at least one of the ways that the universe knows that it exists. Yeah, we are one of the ways the universe knows itself. That's really it's profound. People.
Speaker 1: Do you ever find that kind of existential rooting in science itself?
Speaker 2: Well, you've been on the Science Rules podcast I have.
Speaker 1: It's a great one.
Speaker 2: And I mentioned this as of course to promote my podcast, but also as a witness. If you ask Corey Powell, my co host, what's my favorite thing? And right now I'm mechanical engineer. Physics was how That's how I got here. But my favorite thing these days is evolution. Evolution explains is how we understand all of biology, all of life science is in the context or the lens of evolution.
Speaker 1: For more on evolution and some hot Charles Darwin gossip, see the Evolutionary Biology episode if you like.
Speaker 2: And So I think about science every day, all the time, and where did we all come from? And are we alone in the universe? I think about that all the time.
Speaker 1: On the topic of evolution, let's talk a little bit about yours. You are kind of proof that one's mutations are their superpower in that you are someone who's a mechanical engineer who is also gifted in comedy, and a lot of times people probably find themselves in one bucket or the other, but you were a bit of both and that kind of led to how you used your voice. Did you ever struggle with wanting to be a performer versus wanting to be an engineer? What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me just say, are you kidding? Yes, I struggled. Oh my goodness, did I struggle? So you guys, and I let me also back up one little thing. You know, you use the term gifted. I'm always concerned about the term gifted. I'm always concerned about the term talent. Okay, you know, I mean to me, Fred Astaire, you know talent. Okay, Bill Ny talent. I'm not sure you kind of lost me there, don't be so honest, but along this line, Yeah, So I what started it was everyone, you could say. I was a senior in college and the guy who had been my freshman roommate, Dave Lax. When we see each others, see each other at reunions, it's always great. Hey Dave, I love you, man, I love you. But he had gone into material science. I went in mechanical engineering. It's just like, you got to come see this. So I went to his house. They had this extraordinary technology in nineteen seventy seven, they had cable television. Yeah, and so I saw Steve Martin at the boarding House and boarding House as a nightclub in San Francisco, and he goes, look, this guy is just like you look at this His sense of humor is just like yours. Look at this guy, Hey, this guy. So then a year later, one of the Brothers Records sponsored the Steve Martin Lookalike Contest, and a different, completely different set of friends in a whole nother city Seattle pressured me to enter this contest, and I did, and I won. I mean due respect, I won. I did not win the national one. I did not advance beyond Seattle. The guy who won could play the banjo, and I guess objectively kind of looked like Steve Martin. But this led to people wanting me to be Steve Martin at parties because you're not of a certain age. But it is my claim that when Steve Martin released these first two albums, the whole world was laughing with him. The whole world was on board with his just people would call it absurd artist or just his point of view, which was deep irony. Anyway, then you start doing stand up comedy, start trying to do stand up comedy, you know, you start trying to write your own material. Meanwhile, I was working as an engineer. And then because everybody was talking about comedy early on, this is before Seinfeld, before Everybody Loves Raymond. Before all that, the head of the NBC affiliate station in Seattle, Chuck Jones, I guess was his real name, wanted to have a comedy show. So I had met these guys at comedy clubs over the couple years there, and I got invited to do a bit, and then one thing led to another and we had to fill six minutes, which is quite a while in yeah vision, And so ros Schaeffer, who's still a good friend of mine, said why don't you you could do that science stuff you're always talking about. So I did the household uses of nitrogen. I was Bill Ny, the science Guy, and was Ross who just blurted out Bill Ny the science Guy in a meeting, ah, and was you know. It was well received, so that there was pressure to do a science guy bid every few weeks, and I started doing it out doing it as kind of a magic thing, that is to say, not everything you see maybe was real. But then it occurred to me how cool it would be just to make it all real.
Speaker 1: Bill says that during the mid nineteen eighties, the Reagan administration opted to remove and not replace President Carter's solar panels, which was a megabummer to many environmentalists, and they also ended the push to have us convert to the metric system, which is why I had to ask a search engine how many miles fifteen kilometers is and why I'm not sure if it's kilometers or kilometers, and so I just had to look that up. Kilometers is American and kilometers is British. There's the same though, any frickin' whosal. The folks who produced the Seattle Today show hired are then thirty five year old Buddy Bill in nineteen eighty nine to make an educational video for the Washington State Department of Ecology and it was called Fabulous Wetlands and it was fabulous.
Speaker 2: So what is the wetland anyway? Well, you got land, you got water, and not that gobblegame. And that became a template for the Science Guy show. And then one thing led to another and the Children's Television Act where they had to station owners had to have three hours of educational television every week. Right, you mean we're going to stop our printing press for money? Yeah, we're going to stop printing money for three hours every week. I know, my goodness. But anyway, that's one thing led to another. But as far as quitting my engineering job, Man oh Man, I was working part time on a comedy show in Seattle that only would go six weeks at a time, and then you're unemployed for the next six weeks. You know. It was for a guy who was used to having a job. You know, I used to wear a tie to work, Ali, a straight tie.
Speaker 1: I can't help but imagine Bill wearing a straight tie to his day job and then coming home and changing into a bow tie like mister Rogers to teach science, or ducking into a phone booth like Clark Kent, changing only his tie but emerging clearly our nation science superman.
Speaker 2: I'll just tell you also, Ali, in those days working Boeing and then Sunstrand when I wore a tie, I also is just my thing. I also wore a shirt I didn't want to throw. I didn't want to scare anyone, you know. So anyway, quitting my job October third, nineteen eighty six was a real stopping and thinking. I mean, I had I set aside my end of the world money, which was five thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: It was, it was enough to pay I had a mortgage. I had a condo Condinium. I was like, you know, I was a young single guy in a condo, so I having a Volkswagen Bug. But you know, even then the world was changing so fast, and I realized if I left engineering for a year, I would be not unhireable, but it would be quite difficult for me to get back in it. Yeah, so you asked, was it an agonizing decision? But I was a young guy. People much they much more regret what they don't do than what they do. Yes, I mean, once in a while there's you know, problems, but most of the time we regret what we didn't do. So I quit my job and tried it, and then for another six years I worked part time as an engineer, but in traditionally it is called a contract engineer. That was a long answer to one of your questions. Was I agonized, of course?
Speaker 1: But you also did you not get a little bit of advice from it's some guy named Carl.
Speaker 2: Oh, Carl Sagan? Yes, okay, okay, some guy. So what happened everybody?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 2: First of all, I was in high school in Washington, d C. And a guy who had graduated two years ahead of me, who had the same physics teacher said, you know, Bill, you ought to apply to Cornell. You're the kind of guy that would fit in at Cornell University. And you know, we love the word skepticism. Ali, but I was very skeptical of this claim, but nevertheless I applied. I had never visited the Cornell campus. I just in football, if you're familiar with I threw a hail Mary Pass. I typed the application on a typewriter, a manual typewriter, and I got in. I'd still to this day and amazed. The people I went to college with are so freaking smart.
Speaker 1: So yes, Bill got in and took some pretty cool classes.
Speaker 2: As a senior, I took one class from Carl Sagan, who was at Cornell, and it changed my life. It really did. So. The guy was so inspiring. He was all that as the kids say.
Speaker 1: So years after he graduated, Bill was making a Sunday morning educational TV show called Bill's Basement, and he got back in touch with his former Cornell instructor to ask a psicon question.
Speaker 2: I asked Carl Sagan about this, and he says, when you're doing these things, Bill, it sounds like an he called me, Bill sounds like a fine thing. But this is at my tenth college reunion, my tenth reunion, I had written a paper letter some of you may know this technology sounds like this and this is where you can store its plant based information story. And I wrote him all that are and his assistant arranged for me to meet with him for five minutes, and I told him about this thing called Bill. He says, focus on pure science. He said, kids resonate to pure science. That was a verb he used, and so I did. That was just outstanding advice and is one sentence out of the all the sentences I've heard over my entire life, and it was really cool advice. So if you watch the Science Guy show, it's all about pure science. Even the computer show is about the science or the mathematics or the fundamentals of computing rather than the state of that art in nineteen ninety seven or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: So Bill is still in touch with and Sagan and the Sagan kiddos were fans of Bill Ny the Science Guy. He still hangs out and has a beer and shoots the shit about our place and the cosmos with them, because that is the kind of casual redness that Bill Ny brings to the tape.
Speaker 2: All these remarkable circumstances have led me to where I am. And you know, each of these things is some crazy turning point in your life. Like you or you're doing an ologies podcast, You're crazy, You're a wild who knew?
Speaker 1: Who knew? I definitely think that you should take the risks.
Speaker 3: Cot bangs text your crash.
Speaker 1: This is likely not a simulation. Have you ever been part of any studies where they've tried to figure out generationally what generation gives a bigger shit about science and if it's related to their watching Bill Neida Science guy, Like, I feel like millennials care, maybe an older generation doesn't. If they had had a better Bill Nia Science Guide, do you think we would have an easier time with policy that would protect the earth?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we're about to see a fantastic turning point. Yeah, to your point. Not to make you all jealous, but I was at the foot doctor.
Speaker 3: Whoa exactly Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Back in the day when you could walk around, I was in Penn Station in New York City and this woman with a giant piece of luggage ran over my foot. Oh now, why didn't you get out of the way? Bill yeah. Well, so anyway, the toe is broken and crooked and all these exciting things. So anyway, I was in the doctor's office and he said, now this guy was my age, this doctor singer. He said, you wait here, and he brought in five people who work in his office and they're you know, young people, millennials who all watched The Science Guy Show. And they all said, the reason we're physicians and nurses is because we watched The Science Guy Show. I got choked up. I went, wow, you guys, you know, I mean, we made the show in a brick warehouse in Seattle. It's still there. And to have it stand a test of twenty seven years of time, it's really surprising and wonderful. So I believe with these people who are in their twenties and early thirties when they are running the show people like you, Ali, things are going to get change. Things are going to change big time. And I remind us all in the US Constitution, Article one, Section eight, clause eight refers to the progress of science and useful arts. That's your job as a member of Congress is to promote the progress of science and useful arts.
Speaker 1: So this is the patent and copyright clause, which states that the Congress shall have power to promote the progress of science and useful arts by securing, for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries. End quote. Now for more on the US Constitution, including hearing it read word for word in its entirety with asides, you can see the Noomology episodes with us SA see law Professor Fertina Tolsen, who sheds so much light on this ancient foundation of our country.
Speaker 2: And that's in there because the people who wrote the Constitution, say what you will about their other activities, they realized how important science is to the success or to your economy, to want to your country's economy. So I think you all are going to change the world.
Speaker 1: Well, Bill Night has already changed the world. Is it weird for you to be, by the way, an archetype. I'm not trying to flatter you, I'm just being honest. I see so many Twitter buyers that are like, I'm the next Bill Night, I want to be the next Bill nine, I want to be Bill Ny.
Speaker 3: Is it ever weird for you to be like I'm the Bill Ni, I'm a Bill it's always weird.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, everybody, if you want to be the next Bill Nye, please do it. I'm of a certain age, you know. I jumped off of buildings onto air bags, I parachuted out of planes. I did bungee jumping to I got floaters in my eyes because of the G force is when you descelerate. Okay, And I memorized all those lines, I wrote most of them, and the show almost killed me. But it was, you know, still very very proud of it. Put my heart and soul into it. But to all the Bill Nys of the future, just remember that part of what made the Bill ni Show successful was the crew. Everybody on the crew had a terrific sense of humor. It's one thing to be enthusiastic and celebrate snot or barf or whatever wonderful things we all might consider gross, or to celebrate being a nerd and soldering and welding and using a microscope and putting a cover slip on a slide without cracking it. Those are all great things. But just make sure that or consider or embrace the idea that you also want it to be funny.
Speaker 1: Yes, I was going to ask about that about communicating science because I think that I don't know what ology this is going to be. By the way, I haven't figured that out yet. You got any suggestions, Well, pedagogy, okay, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Is that is that an ology? Pedic pedagological, pedagogical, pedagological, pedal good thing stuff.
Speaker 1: Ge Survey says it is indeed a word, so pedagogo logical like pre length breeches and smallpox scars. This word appeared more in the late eighteen hundreds, but it does exist. So we're going with it. In terms of being a science communicator, if you could give someone really good advice about calming sigh, would it be to try to find the humor in things relatable? What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well? The biggest what I tell everybody is try it is two things is come up with your learning objectives. Now I am not a trained as a profession educator. I have not been hired by a United States state or commonwealth to teach professionally. But learning objective is a technical term in education that means the thing you're going to get across, and this takes discipline. Talk about dinosaurs, you know, everybody dinosaurs in space? We all love dinosaurs in space, and people say they don't love dinosaurs in space. They are lying to your face. They're lying to your face. And so, by the way, it was in my lifetime that the connection between space and dinosaurs was discovered.
Speaker 3: I can't isn't that nuts? Isn't that nuts?
Speaker 2: It's if it doesn't freak you out. I don't know, what does I know.
Speaker 1: We're such babies on this planet. There were such tiny, tiny, young little babies not knowing what is going on at all.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, Ali and I will not lose my train of thought. When I was a kid, the best idea anybody had was dinosaurs had small brains, so the mammals took all their food and the dinosaurs died. And Missus McGonagall my second second grade teachers, like, okay, I'm supposed to read this book to you all, but this is nothing. Come on, the dinosaurs. Giant Trontosaurus is like getting outwitted by a mouse maybe, I mean maybe anyway, So in my lifetime, I was out paying taxes. I was a grown up. Discovery of the asteroid that almost certainly finished off the ancient dinosaur sixty six million years ago was discovered it's really something ps.
Speaker 1: This crater is on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, and we didn't know about it until the nineteen seventies. The movie Jaws had been out for three years before we figured out definitively where the rock that ended the dinos hit. There are sex pistols albums older than this knowledge.
Speaker 2: So back to the learning objective. So in the case of dinosaurs, they're so ancient dinosaurs, there's so much you can talk about. Birds. Are dinosaurs well cool? Dinosaurs had feathers or not. Dinosaur fossils are found here, they're not found here. Well, we thought they'd find we'd find them here, and we found them all this sort of thing. But dinosaurs and people did not live at the same time. That's kind of a gigantic idea. We know that dinosaurs lived because we found their fossil bones. That's it. We know they lived. And if you can get those two things across in twenty eight minutes, you're doing something. So I really encourage everybody to think about what in education or communication is what you want to get across, and we all do it. Ali we bury the lead, We start thinking out loud and you don't get to the point for a couple sentences. Then the other thing that's really important in my opinion, and as you know, my opinion's correct, is what I call the discipline in vocabulary. Div If you introduce words that the listener or viewer doesn't know, you're going to lose them. And this is very well documented, and don't come running to me. And then the other thing along this line. You don't want to introduce a word and then explain it. You want to have the explanation before the word. Oh, and you know we all do it. We all define the word with the word.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know what's echolocation? Well, what do you mean? Echolocation is when you echo locate? Oh right, It's really easy to fall into that trap. So when you go to write these things or create them or produce them, just I really encourage everybody learning objectives, figure out what you're going to get across, and be disciplined in the words you use to introduce words and technical terms.
Speaker 1: Were you a kid that liked science or do you think.
Speaker 2: They oh man, yes, oh yes, Now understand everybody. I am of a certain age and the Space program was the thing. Yeah, I mean this is what was going on. I was a little little kid when Sputnik flew, but I remember very well the anxiety my parents felt nineteen fifty seven when the Ruskies were getting into the ultimate high ground. And then when these guys Alan Shepherd, John Glenn flew in space and Uri Gageron, you know, they hid this truth. But apparently Uri Gagheron was like this maniac test pilot, very accomplished guy, could just handle any situation. Comes back in after orbiting the Earth, coming back into the atmosphere, Well, you know, Yuri, it's not going so well. Your retro rocket system, Okay, don't worry about so parachutes out of the freaking capsule. He just jumps out and parachutes to the Earth and the capsule, I guess landed pretty hard. And at that time the Soviet government didn't want to tell people, but I mentioned it. It was a very exciting time in space exploration. It was just all this wild stuff going on, and there was this intimate connection between the Cold War and the civilian Space Agency, NASA, National Innings and Space Administration. So I was brought up with that. And you know, even now people talk about the World's Fair in nineteen sixty four sixty five in New York City. Well, my family. I grew up in Washington, d C. In the city limits of Washington, d C. And we went there, went to New York. It was astonishing. I mean, it's the future, you know. And almost every day when I get on a freeway in Los Angeles, back when you went places in cars, right, I remember six months ago. Yeah, the freeways were really envisioned at that time in the future man and the term was man man will travel through roadways in the sky, and that turned out to be true. Whether or not it's this utopian vision is something else. But these ideas were presented to us as kids, and it's just so inspiring and amazing and fabulous. We spent a lot of time looking things up. You don't have to do that anymore. I mean, the access to information now is even cooler, even cooler. So yes. Furthermore, my mother's father was a chemist. He was a professor at Duke University, then Johns Hopkins University. Then he got a job. Apparently his most satisfying job was a company called Crown, Cork and Seal. Okay, and only older listeners would remember when bottle caps had cork glued under the metal cap. Anyway, he had the patent on that, adhesaid, apparently, So I grew up with science. And then if you knew this about my mom, my mom was one of the code girls. Yes, and so she was I just will say objectively, she was very good at puzzles, yes, sossword puzzles and stuff like that. And so she was recruited by the Navy to do something. Mom, what did you do during the war. I can't talk about it, my whole life can't talk. And so there was a there was an event, and I know not everything we talk about makes it into the podcast, but there was an event last year, a year ago April, at the Library of Congress, celebrating these women, a few of whom were still alive. And Gal came up to me and said, you know, my mom was with your mom in Hawaii. Ah, I said, my mom was never in Hawaii. Actually was so after v after the European Victory Day, several of these women were taken to Hawaii to work to continue work on the JN Japanese Navy codes. Jay and twenty five was the famous one. So I learned something every day, So anyway that it was really something. So I was raised by the way everybody. The Equal Rights Amendment has been passed now by thirty eight states and commonwealths. We'll see what happens. My mom was a very feminine feminist. She marched in at least one of the Equal Rights Amendments parades, but I think it was she marched in three of them. And my great grandmother, whom I never met, marched in the Suffragist Parade in nineteen thirteen in Washington. So I go back with this everybody.
Speaker 1: And actually every episode we donate to a cause of the ologists choosing.
Speaker 2: Well, we love the Planetary Society.
Speaker 3: Well there you go.
Speaker 2: So everybody. Carl Sagan started the Planetary Society in nineteen eighty because he and two other guys, Bruce Murray, who was the head of the Jet Propulsion Lab during the Voyager missions, the famous famous gold record and all that, but it's just cool, and Lou Friedman, who was an orbital mechanics guy at JPL Jet Propulsion Lab. They felt that public interest in space was very high, but government support of it was not so high. And that's still true when it comes to planetary exploration. I mean we just discovered evidence of life on Venus. In the atmosphere of Venus. And I've talked all the time, as you know, who wouldn't that Venus is like hell. I mean, the surface of Venus is hot enough to melt lead. It rains sulfuric acid, no way, total way. Yeah, it rains sulfuric acid. But the acid doesn't hit the ground. It evaporates before it gets the ground because the ground so hot. But apparently in the atmosphere, way above the surface, there are some temperate temperatures, if I can use that. See, that's an example of using the word to define the word.
Speaker 3: Right, there's some you define it with a definition, there's some word.
Speaker 2: There's some temperatures that aren't especially too crazy hot to dissociate every molecule we associate with life. So maybe maybe there are Venusians, aerosol Venusians zooming around or getting winded around in the Venusian atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Exciting.
Speaker 2: It really is amazing, ye, And I say all the time everybody, if we discover life or evidence of life on another world, it will change this world. Yeah, everybody will feel differently about being a living thing in the cosmos. I mean, it's just jaw dropping.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I'm going to bombard you with listener questions, Lightning round, lightning round.
Speaker 2: Or just listener questions. Whatever you want to do it hit me the ball.
Speaker 1: As we say, it's a lightning round of listener questions. Forty three pages of listener questions. So I have organized them as best I can and I'm just going to start firing them off.
Speaker 2: You ready, I'm so ready.
Speaker 1: Before your questions, patrons. A quick word from sponsors of the show who made it possible for us to donate to the Planetary Society?
Speaker 3: Mom?
Speaker 5: Why did they call it Scottish cheese?
Speaker 3: Cottage cheese?
Speaker 2: Honey?
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Did dogs in other countries speak different languages?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 1: Well when we get there, well, we've got to fix the car first, but there's someone coming to help us.
Speaker 2: Is it the man from Geneva?
Speaker 1: Not Geneva, he's from a Viva.
Speaker 3: Oh there's the van.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: For car insurance with breakdown rescue, it takes a Viva visit a Viva Dota e to say fifteen percent acceptance criteria terms and conditions apply. Minimum premium of three hundred and ten year old fifteen percent discant applies to new policies bott online. See Aviva dot i E for details. Car insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Ireland dak Aviva Direct Arland Limited is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
Speaker 1: Okay, now on to forty three pages of your questions. I said I wasn't a nice Oh, qush, there's so many Okay, Liz Rooki, great question. Were you ever scared to perform as a science communicator on TV or radio podcast? And how did you overcome that or are you still working on that?
Speaker 2: If you're not scared, quit doing it, it's saying. And the other really good remark Tom bergeron Made You Know and Dancing with that guy who hosts Dancing with the Stars and hosted he says, take your nervousness and turn it into excitement. Ah, it's a theater expression. You know, there's a lot to it. But as Robin Williams said, if you stop being nervous, quit doing it. So But whether or not I'm scared, that's something else. I know. If I'm scared, but I'm always like on this podcast, Ali, I don't want to say the wrong thing. Man weoll Man.
Speaker 1: Oh, No, it's like very, very high stakes. I'm a real hardball interviewer. Also, you know that Bill Night.
Speaker 2: Oh man, it's just a sweat is pooring?
Speaker 1: Yeah, If you're not crying Boutannas, I haven't done my job. Nick Mikosh says, how do we depoliticize science? What are the ways not to approach science communication for those who are resistant science?
Speaker 2: So you, guys, this is a question. I'm really serious. It's a great question. I've struggled with this last twenty years. How do you get people who refuse to or seem to refuse to acknowledge the facts that we have discovered through the process of science. You know, I say all the time, I'm a elementary school with a kid who at polio. You do not want polio. It wouldn't even occur to you not to get vaccinated against polio. And so then you show all this evidence that there is no connection between vaccines and autism. But Steve, people still have this perception. Changing their minds is quite difficult. But here's the new thing I'm working on, and that's making people aware of this phrase that I have come to embrace, the liar's dividend, The liar's dividend. So after the lie is out there and lie is hard, after the pseudoscience or after the false claim is presented, that's stuck in the listener of the viewer's mind, and so you have to and it for the liar. It continues to pay dividends. These false claims get stuck in people's heads. It's very difficult to displace it. However, pointing out to people that they're receiving the proceeds from a liar's dividend, it may raise awareness and help them overcome it. It's clear that the anti science people are completely outnumbered by the regular people. So if regular people vote with the environment in mind, or with how you should respond to a public health crisis in mind, then normal people will win and we can move on. Just keep in mind that trying to change somebody who's a climate denier or contrarian, trying to change his or her mind takes a couple of years. It's really difficult.
Speaker 3: Actually.
Speaker 1: Kind of on that note, first time question asker Aaron Spencer wants to know what evidence helped you essentially change your mind about climate change or was the most impact. What's a nice piece of evidence to have in your tool belt for those conversations.
Speaker 2: Well, I never was a contrarian about climate change. Yeah, and now the reason everybody I'm of a certain age. And so what happened was people Carl Sagan and another guy named Jim Pollock. James Pollack had written a computer program, a mathematical model of what would happen if you set off all the nuclear weapons in the world on the same afternoon, same day, right, And then a couple years later, Walter Alvarez and his son discovered this asteroid impact that finished off the ancient dinosaurs. And then James Hanson, Jim Hanson was studying the planet Venus and realized the significance of carbon dioxide in an atmosphere, and so he testified in front of Congress in nineteen eighty eight about climate change, Global climate change caused by all the carbon oxide put in the air by peopleeteen eighty eight. So those three things came together for me as a guy reading scientific American and science News and just interested in that sort of thing. So I was always or always concerned about climate change. And then I became a member of the Union of Concerned Scientists, which is a very good political but not partisan, nonprofit organization that studies things like climate change. You know, I was on board with this from the get go. But what I say to everybody is scientists around the world, and you'll hear ninety seven percent, but it's more like ninety nine percent of climate scientists are convinced have shown that humans are putting all this carbonoxide in the air and that's what's making the world warmer. So everybody, how could you see it any other way? And then the other striking thing, it's twenty twenty. These fires which are ravaging the West, and these hurricanes which are stacking up in domino fashion in the Mid Atlantic are all predicted by the mathematical models that were written originally in the nineteen eighties then really honed in the nineteen nineties. And the first hockey stick graph was published by Michael Mann and others in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: And just a side note, the late climatologist and director of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory, Jerry Mahlman coined this hockey stick term and stated in two thousand and four that quote global warming is real and it's a phenomenon that humans have created. Climate scientists worldwide have understood its essence since the so called Charnie Report of the National Research Council in nineteen seventy nine. Our burning of fossil fuels, coal, oil, and natural gas is the indisputably direct cause of the ever increasing concentrations of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. This added carbon dioxide acts directly to warm the planet. There is no scientific controversy about these facts. Again a two thousand and four quote from Climatol just during moment. So this is neither fresh news nor is it really up for bait facts.
Speaker 2: And every time they do an analysis, the hockey stick gets more compelling, it gets accurate or an accurate error. And so that people are in denial about it is just because it's so big. The problem is so whelming that it's easier just to tell yourself this couldn't possibly be happening, rather than say, well, I guess we should get to work on this. And so that's a great question. But figuring out how to convince people who are entrenched for sort of spiritual reasons is really difficult. But I remind us about the word political politics is not inherently bad. What's caused trouble. Is might be a better word for everybody to think about is partisanship, where if you're on board with these other policies of your party, then you also are on board with denying climate change. Careful of that, everybody political is not partisan. They're closer related but not quite the same thing.
Speaker 1: Right, And kind of in that vein, Ruby Johnstone wants to know how do you feel about social media and the ability to communicate science both real and very fake to a broader audience. And I also know you're killing it on TikTok any tips.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing on TikTok up, I am cracked if I may, I am cracked up. So you guys, you know I'm a miserable, hateful person and I hate everything. But along with that, I'm generally an optim pretty much a crazy optimist. I'm very excited about the future. I can't wait to get up every morning and stuff like that because of science. But this idea that that you have a right to not get vaccinated is just wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it.
Speaker 2: Makes me a little crazy. So I did that TikTok video and you know, it's been shown that wearing a face covering is very effective in preventing the spread of this coronavirus. But apparently the real thing is being in enclosed spaces with people who are infected because it goes through the air. So anyway, this idea that you have a right to not wear a mask is not understanding this fundamental idea that I have rights too. You may think you have a right to infect me, but I would say no, actually no, maybe you don't. And the example I give everybody is you pay taxes on the whole road, but you don't get to drive on both sides. You have to drive on one side at a time, and so wear a mask. But convincing people that is really difficult. So the reason we want you to wear a mask is to protect you, sure, but the main reason.
Speaker 3: We want you to wear a mask is to protect me.
Speaker 1: Okay, next question, first time question asker by someone of the name Rachel Bloom. You may know her Emmy.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yes, Emmy's.
Speaker 2: Great ward winning that's really her real name.
Speaker 3: Yes, her real name.
Speaker 1: She is a listener of ologies. She's an idol of mine.
Speaker 3: Because I can.
Speaker 1: And post pictures of your deck on the internet.
Speaker 2: Just f y.
Speaker 1: This is the Rachel Bloom of the Emmy winning CW show Crazy Ex Girlfriend. And as long as we're talking about her, her book I Want to Be Where the Normal People Are is due out on November seventeenth, and you can pre order it now, and I hear that it is hilarious. I'm going to add a link to it at ali Ward dot com slash ology slash Bill Nye. And yes, she is a fellow ologite, and she has a question for Bill. She wants to know how has been a science icon for all ages impacted you as a person. Also, this is totally awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Rachel. How is it? I don't know. Here's I'll tell you what. Television and two very about the same extent. Podcasts are intimate. Television is intimate the guy there. As the saying goes, you don't hate anyone more than you hate someone on television, and so the same is true in a much perhaps much more important example. If you don't like the baseball announcer, you just hate the guy. It's like this deep thing because he's just in your ear, he's in your face, whatever it is in the case of television. So when it comes to Bill Nye and the Science Guy Show and all that, you can either take my word for it or ask anybody I've worked with. Is what you see is what you get, man. I mean, I love science. I think it's the coolest thing ever. And what I still love about television and what I love about the podcast Alley, it's still handmade. Even though we're using this extraordinary technology converting pressure waves in the air into electronics and putting them back in the air around the world electronically. Even though we're doing that, it's still a conversation between you and me, between you and Rachel Bloom and me and I just love that. And when we did the show, Rachel Bloom was on the Saves World show. When we did that show, it was I just tell everybody, the crew, everybody's there trying to do the same thing. It's still this handmade product. And that's what I think appeals to people. And so when you watch the Science Guy show, I'm talking to you, listener, viewer, You're the person I'm trying to get through to. I really care about every viewer. When I'm talking to the lens, I'm talking to one person. I'm trying to convince one person. So I love you out there, Rachel. I love you man, well man.
Speaker 1: A few more listener questions.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I got time?
Speaker 1: Okay, good Murray Hancock's, Julie Bear Mark, Achi, Liz Rookey, Catherine Gilbert, Celia Lavonte, and Casey Hanber want to know is it true that the bow ties maketh the man? And do you have a favorite boat?
Speaker 2: I be honest, So don't tell me to be honest.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you to be honest. I don't. I'm not going to accept lies.
Speaker 2: So people have asked me about the bow ties many times, and I have about five hundred, okay, and so picking a favorite is quite difficult because you know, it depends on your mood, depends what else you're wearing. It depends on the expectation of the viewer. Okay, where you're going to be. You know, if you go to somebody else's wedding, you don't want to show up looking, you know, sharper than the groom. That's true, although of course for me it's hard write a challenge. No, it's a joke. Everybody that's ironing. But with that said, my grandfather owned a tie. So my grandmother was you know, people talk about immigrants. My grandmother was French. She was a war bride. She married a US Army captain after the First World War, but she would go back to France to see her sisters and hang out. And she brought this one tie back that is just so beautiful. It's dark blue silk, and it's two kinds of silk, and there's a stripe of one kind of silk going through the middle of the other kind of silk, and it just makes the most beautiful knot. And it's very narrow and it has arrow points as they're called, or diamond points that the ends of the tie are diagonal, not straight. I only wear that on very special occasion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, where if you worn it?
Speaker 2: If I'm a commencement speaker, I was at my mother's alma mater, Goucher College, where she was recruited by the Navy. I wore it there. And I also, as is my pause, I also wore a shirt.
Speaker 1: It was sleeveless, though, right you get the sleeves tailored off.
Speaker 2: Actually, everybody, I'm a fan of the short sleeve shirt.
Speaker 3: So we have a whole.
Speaker 2: Thing right now where everybody running an air conditioner in southern California led to these brownouts. Yes, air conditioning takes all this electricity. Well, there's a tradition in Japan right now called cool biz.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: You know, they have a lot of Ramaji. They have a lot of English words going on in Japan. So guys wear short sleeve shirts. That's like this business thing. Embrace it, everybody, embrace it. Short sleeve shirt.
Speaker 3: Show your guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. See Ali gets Ali cuts through. Get it?
Speaker 1: Okay, a couple more because I thought Megan McLean asked a great one that had nothing to do with anything, And I want to ask it, what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?
Speaker 2: I guess calf brains. What was the occasion I got invited to a restaurant with friend, a woman I used to know, I used to date. His father had spent time in the Middle East, I guess North Africa, Morocco kind of thing, and he'd eaten this dish many times and he took us to a Moroccan restaurant and yeah, it's quite rich, it's fatty. Hence the expression fat head is a compliment. Well, but I don't do that anymore, you guys, I wouldn't be surprised. As time goes on, I've become a vegetarian. Yeah, you know, I feel like I may eat fish. I eat a lot fish. I don't like to eat mammals. Yeah, you know, birds are dinosaurs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. I understand that I'm heading that way, and I.
Speaker 2: Know we have questions to take ali. But humans are now running the planet. This was not our idea. You know, we all, I think all of us grew up with the idea that there's the outdoors and nature and organic or natural ecosystems, and then there's us. There's cities and urban and even you know, every car commercial features you driving through deserts or through swamps or some amazing thing that you usually don't do with a car. But here's the thing. We ended up in charge of the earth now. So we have to manage the deer population, the wolf population, bobcat population. I'm not kidding. Humans are now in charge. We have to manage the fresh water, we have to manage the oceans, and we have to manage the atmosphere. This is not something everybody who listens to ologies probably planned to do with his or her life. But now, as taxpayers and voters, we've all got to embrace the idea that we are running the show. When I was a kid, there were fewer than three billion people, and my grandparents were raising my dad, they were about one and a half billion.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now there's seven point almost seven point eight billion people. Yeah, and there's going to be nine and probably ten billion people. And so even though the rate of growth is slowing, it's still growing the human population. So we have such an effect on the earth that we have to take charge. So go out there and take charge, you all.
Speaker 1: We have to. Actually, I wanted to ask lad Balthari had a great question about how did you become the kid guy? And you've had some very memorable recent appearances, dropping f bombs, talking like a heartfelt heyt parents are weird, uncles babysitting just cover the kid's ears or prepared to shrug at them.
Speaker 2: By the end of this century, if the missions keep rising, the average temperature on Earth could go up another four to eight degrees. What I'm saying is the planet's on fucking fire. That was heartfelt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is heartfelt.
Speaker 1: I mean, I let whatever language fly on this podcast. But did you find that that was a transition from talking to kids to talking to kids after they grew up. Since you've been in the game for a while.
Speaker 2: I guess so. And this gets back to discipline and vocabulary. So dropping the F bomb on last week tonight it was just huge because I feel that way. You get so angry. It's so angry with with andy science, climate deniers. It's so crazy making you know why the sky is blue? No it isn't really, I think, really we can't we agree on that anyway. So climate deniers make me crazy. And that bit on last week tonight was heartfelt. But along that line, if you look at the Science Guy show about atmosphere, about climate, about pressure, about I'm thinking out about extreme weather storms, we have bits about climate change. And in the nineteen nineties, there was discipline and I'm not kidding, not trying to scare the kids, there was discipline. I used expressions like things could get weird. We're going to have to keep an eye on this. This is who knows the future. This is going to be a very important idea stuff like that. So yes, of course, or yes, I do change the approach based on the audience, But both manifestations of me are authentic. That that's my claim. That's my claim for you to value it. When I was talking to kids on the kids show, I really mean it. When I'm talking to adults on a comedy show, I also really mean it. It's manifestations of the same bill nine.
Speaker 1: And that's part of comedy too, is reading the room and being able to morph your delivery based on what.
Speaker 2: Yes, cras assess what you hope will work right.
Speaker 3: Maria Hancock's please Marie hit.
Speaker 1: Me okay, Maria hancocks vityepong want to know? Have you ever gotten your own theme song? Stuck in your head?
Speaker 2: I love the theme song.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 2: It's really good. It's written by a guy named Mike Green who has a production company thirty eight Fresh in Los Angeles, and he's just a cool guy and he came up with that. That's his wife's voice, no inert. Yeah, I was wondering, okay, yeah, So I just thank the guy every day. He just did a great thing. Good. But everybody one note to importantly note for your notation. That's important. I don't sing the song. People ask me to sing the song. No, no, somebody else. That's the whole idea. Somebody else is singing the song like Gilligan's Island Gilligan doesn't.
Speaker 3: Sing a song.
Speaker 2: Think we may be an older reference. There's one kind of cool exception to that, though, and that was the show Fraser Kelsey Grammer sang the song really Yeah, that's interesting. But the guy on the TV, the gal on the TV, doesn't sing the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's somebody else, of course, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Last questions, I always ask what's the shittiest part about your job when you hate the most? What's the most petty, annoying or huge thing you hate about being Bill Nan the science Guy?
Speaker 2: Well that my genius is unrecognized.
Speaker 3: You only have nineteen Emmys.
Speaker 2: It sucks no, well no, but I mean, now, look you guys a couple of things. Ali, it's only eighteen ems Science Guy show. And keep in mind that the writers won every I was one of the writers. We won five times.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The editors and the sound design, sound mixers, these guys and gals won every year because they were just so creative. They're so funny. And you know that voice, Bill, I don't think that's gonna work. Bill, that's Pat Cashman. It's just a comedy genius.
Speaker 1: Okay, come on, what is the shittiest thing about being a beloved icon doing their dream job.
Speaker 2: And so so the most frustrating thing, I guess is that we're still fighting this fight. That climate change was discovered and presented to Congress in nineteen eighty eight, and we have hardly done anything about it, and it is quite frustrating. And so everybody vote then, I mean, I'll say that it's a guy on the on camera Department the OCD, as I like to call it. Is you know, you're standing there, your knees get tired, your feet get tired. It is I'm whining. It's not only getting your head blown off in a war, but it's some days it's physically quite difficult for me. But so what Yeah, come on, man, we're trying to change the world here. Let's go make something of yourself. Come on, people anyway, when when when you guys, my life's amazing. You know, I have my health and it's just my life's amazing.
Speaker 1: And actually, on that note, JV. Hampton Van Sandt says, Hi, they're Bill can Bill, And I say hello to all the trans people who follow ologies, like just hello all transologites.
Speaker 2: I don't know hi transologizes. So you guys that show, and Rachel Bloom was on a big part of it. We did a show about human sexuality based on the current science about people and the way they perceive themselves, the way they present themselves to the world, the way with whom they want to hang out. Can I say hang out on ologies? You can say that with whom they want to interact? Yes, you know, interact.
Speaker 1: Hard, Yes, big, big, big knowing wink.
Speaker 5: Anyway, this is what is happening with the study of human sex and sexuality right now. Biologists, sociologists, anthropologists, they're all trying to figure this out and they're finding human sexuals is on a spectrum.
Speaker 1: Also, I have some great friends who worked on this episode, including Derek Mueller and Tikan Wall and Sandon Tauten, and they were nominated for an Emmy for writing. Not everyone was pleased, however.
Speaker 2: Everybody, so many people are so upset by that show. You know, what's a big deal. It's like, this is the latest science. You know, if just accept people, what's it to you man and woman and or queer person? You know, what's what's a big deal? And this gives me great hope, Ali, And I'm not changing the subject. Just look how fast the world embraced gay marriage. I'm serious. It went on, you know whatever, pick a number, four hundred, five hundred one thousand years. People weren't that into gay marriage, at least not in Europe, and then in the United States and places that were colonized by the British Empire, people were not that into what were very critical of gay people or rejected shunned them, I think, as the modern word, shunned gay people. But then the last sixteen years whatever, Oh, gay people are getting married. Oh okay, Oh, I guess wow, the world's still spinning. Yeah. Are they paying taxes? They are they paying? Yeah, they're paying to Oh do they work at my coffee? Whoa they designed my car? Whoa they Yeah? I guess it's no big deal. Well, I guess you're right. Yeah, And so you know, Australia does that big Bokay, we're going to gay marriage.
Speaker 4: Oh okay.
Speaker 2: And so this gives me and I'm not changing this ubbect. It's gonna be great hope for climate change that I'll bet you they'll be sweeping changes that are instituted or put in place very quickly because people just want these sweeping changes.
Speaker 1: Bill says depending on how the election goes. And we of course recorded this a few weeks ago, but it's coming out on election day, November third, So Bill and I would like you to kindly vote if you have not already.
Speaker 2: So I think things are going to change very quickly, and I want to thank the LGBTQ community for being leaders, for being brave and going out there and demanding change and black lives matter. We are living at an extraordinary time. You know, I'm so old, Ali. I remember when Malcolm X was shot, when Martin Luther King Washaw. I grew up in the city of Washington. I remember Resurrection City, this Plywood Encampment on the National Mall that led that was the audience for the I Have a Dream speech. And so Bobby Kennedy getting shot. Remember all this stuff as a kid, and it led to some big changes, but not big enough. And so we are at a time now where things could we could make just cool, important and wonderful changes. So everybody, let's embrace the future.
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: My last question is just what do you love the most about what you do about being?
Speaker 2: Oh well, as the saying goes, when you're in love, you want to tell the world, and I love I really do love science. I love the process and the body of knowledge. And you know, it's fashionable now again to be a nerd. And I'm a nerd, you know, I think, Ali, if I know you well enough, you're I'm a nerd.
Speaker 3: Nerd, I'm a nerd.
Speaker 2: And so it's learning and learning about the universe and our place within. It just fills me with reverence and joy every day. And so on the Mars Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, which are on the surface of Mars right now, both are not operating, they're in op but Curiosity is still running, still roving. On all three of these spacecraft. There's a it gives a thing where we get the cover of the pictures right, a photometric calibration target. And we called them the Mars dials because for a while we used them as sun dials on Mars. I say, we had the planetary science community used them electronically, used them as sundials. We had a student project, the Earth Dial Project, so very cool. But in little letters around the edge of each of these three things, it says we built these spacecraft in two thousand and three, rd in twenty four or twenty twelve, we built them to learn about the Martian environment, to look for signs of water in life. And then it says on the last of the four edges, it says, to those who visit here, we wish a safe journey and the joy of discovery. And that, my friends, is the essence of the scientific enterprise. Is the joy of discovery, the jod, as I call it. And science is as far as anybody can tell, the best way to make discoveries about the cosmos, about ourselves and our place within it. And so that's what gets me every day, Ali, is the joy of discovery. Celebrate it, my friends. Thank you so much for having me on your podcast.
Speaker 3: You the best, the best.
Speaker 2: So if you're listening to ologies, let me just tell you, Ali Ward is all that.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm tattooing that on my back like a book blurb. By the way, but Science Rules is so good. Thank you so much for doing it. People can find Science Rules wherever they find podcasts.
Speaker 2: Oh so, Ali, may I also add we have two versions. We have Science Rules, a long version on which you were and we also are doing Science Rules Coronavirus edition, where we have the real experts on this thing, on this pandemic, telling it as it is. We had Tony Fauci on the Everybody wear a mask and wash your hands, and thank you again.
Speaker 1: Alan, oh, thank you so much. You're the best. Just keeping you Okay, okay, okay, I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Bill, thank you. Let's change the world. Yay.
Speaker 3: So what do we do?
Speaker 1: We get your smart heroes on the horn and you ask them stupid questions about climate change and ties and everything in between. And for more on this up and coming sidecommer Bill Nye, you can visit Bill ny dot com. You can follow him on Instagram and Twitter and TikTok at Bill Nye and listen to his podcast Science Rules. So there's so many guests and episodes you're gonna love. We are at ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at Ali Ward with one L on both. Please be my friend. There will be links in the show notes as well as at aliward dot com, slash ologies slash Bill Nye. Because pedagogology is too tough, too tough to say, too tough to spell. Ologies merch, including some brand new masks, are available at ologiesmirch dot com. Thank you shannonfel Test and Bonni Dutch for managing that they are sisters who host a comedy podcast, You Are That, which is very worth checking out. Also Halbert Admin's Theologies podcast Facebook group, and you can also join the community at patreon dot com slash Ologies. Thank you to every single person they're making the show possible. Emily White heads up a league of wonderful transcriptionists and those transcripts are linked in the show notes. They're available for free. Caleb Patton bleeps episodes to make Them Kids Safe, and those are available on the same web page. Noel Dilworth helps with scheduling guests. Thank you so much, Noel. Assistant editing and emotional cheerleading is done by the wonderful Jarrett Sleeper, who hosts the mental health podcast Make Good Bed Brain, and of course the not in All of Our Ties main editor Stephen Ray Morris, who hosts the podcast The Percast about kiddies and c Jurassic Right, which is about dinosaurs. Nick Thorburn wrote and performed the theme music and he's also in a band called Islands, a very good band. And if you stick around to the end of the episode, you know I tell you a secret and this week it's my ding Dang birthday, and I haven't taken a real vacation since two thousand and nine, And as a surprise, Jarrett booked some time away for four days at a remote location with no self service, and then he realized after he booked it that it's clothing optional. So for my birthday, I was possibly gonna go see a lot of floppy dongs and some bare nips, maybe some untrimmed muffs. But Gremy is on the mend. Apparently our dog has a bad back, so we have to postpone. So stay tuned because I look forward to talking to you about some naked people I see in the future. Either way, I hope we all have an easy and comforting early November. Do a lot of breathing. Just stare at a wall, breathe, Drink some bubbly water.
Speaker 3: You are important. Thank you for voting.
Speaker 1: When you got this. Okay okaye pacodermatologyology, r doo, zoology, lithology and technology, meteorology, bartology, napology, zeriology, slinology.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for sitting high and dry with me as we considered the fault