Speaker 1: Look, Trump is beyond being embarrassed. He has no sense of shame.
Speaker 2: Or propriety or moral guidance or any of that stuff.
Speaker 1: It astounds me to watch Mark Carney be a better president than Donald Trump. Mark Carney has more dignity and gravitas. And as somebody said the other day, Mark Carney is the West Wing president people wanted.
Speaker 3: Hello and welcome to the Trump Report.
Speaker 4: I'm Maddie Hale.
Speaker 3: Lots to discuss today, guys. Of course, we've got these Iran updates. We've got this Trump versus Canada stuff. We've got some new information about Putin and his plans and the way he's been helping Iran.
Speaker 4: So we're going to get all into that.
Speaker 3: We're going to also talk about some polling and what it means for the Republican Party ahead of the midterm elections in November. So my guest today is co-founder of the Lincoln Project, Rick Wilson. Rick, so good to see you again.
Speaker 2: Likewise.
Speaker 4: I just said to you that the audience.
Speaker 3: Will be happy to see you back on their screens and get your take on everything happening because there's a lot that's been going on this week. We had a slower August. We're September 2 today. And, of course, everything's heating up. So I want to start with Iran with you. And I just want to give you the timeline of what's been happening.
Speaker 4: So the U.S.
Speaker 3: Strikes on Iran over alleged attempts to mine the Strait of Hormuz. Iran retaliates against the United States bases. The US launches a much larger wave of strikes. Trump warns Iran not to retaliate again, threatens even harder attacks. Iran defies him anyway, firing missiles and drones at these US targets across the region. Now the question is whether Trump follows through and escalates the war again. I mean, how do you see this playing out?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Maddy, we're seven months into this operation.
Speaker 1: We were told in the very beginning of it that Iran was obliterated, that their capacity to wage war was completely annihilated. that we had won, that the Iranian people were told to rise up, and that the war was over.
Speaker 2: And the war has been over every week since then.
Speaker 1: We are in a constant state right now where Donald Trump's spin is not coincident with the reality of what's happening in the Gulf. And Iran has continued to do enormous damage to American military forces and bases around the Middle East, which the administration has either covered up, lied about, or denied. We've seen that the Iranians are not deterred by continued American airstrikes. They have, in fact, consolidated their power. The theocratic wing, the mullahs, have consolidated their power in the period in which we've been attacking them. So peace in the Middle East is a distant dream right now. The Iranians control the Strait of Hormuz. Therefore, they control a lot of what happens to the world economy. The Strait is not open, despite what Trump keeps telling people. And we're in a moment right now where Russia and China have seen the weakness of the United States in this particular region of the world. And they're both helping Iran to, you know, improve their technology, improve their targeting against American forces. And, you know, the great science fiction writer William Gibson once said, the future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet. That's the same principle of World War III right now. It's not evenly distributed yet, but in the Gulf, Iran is winning.
Speaker 3: We will get into how Russia's played a part in a minute, but I want to get your thoughts because you said Trump's been saying that the Strait of Hormuz is open. So just days after Trump declared that the Strait of Hormuz has been cleared of all of these Iranian mines, Iran allegedly tried to lay new ones, exactly what we feared would happen.
Speaker 4: So how can Trump now claim that the U.S.
Speaker 3: Has almost total control of the Strait while insisting he's not trying to force Iran back to the negotiating table when this is happening? I mean, they quite literally attacked Iran because they believed that they were trying to lay more mines in the Strait.
Speaker 1: I mean, Maddie, the problem we have now is, again, Donald Trump's, the reality he tries to create is not the reality of the world.
Speaker 2: And he can say all he.
Speaker 1: Wants that the Strait is open, but Sea mines are a very cheap Iranian weapon. They bought them from the Soviets back in the 80s and 90s for about $ 8 apiece.
Speaker 2: They have thousands of them.
Speaker 1: They're going to throw them into the Gulf either from the back of boats or from these mine-laying missile systems they have.
Speaker 2: None of this is a recipe for....
Speaker 1: For, for insurance companies and shipping companies to say, Hey, I'm confident to take our valuable cargo through the street. So we've seen these, this enormous backlog still in this, you know, in the Gulf built up Iran controls. And unless you're paying Iran, their vig, their, their, their cut, they're not going to let a ship through unless it's for China, Iran's ally.
Speaker 2: They're not going to let a ship through.
Speaker 1: So, so we really don't have a real lever right now, uh, that it's going to stop them from using this asymmetric, low-cost warfare against the world economy.
Speaker 2: And, you know, the Strait was open before this war. It is not open now.
Speaker 3: Iran says that five civilians, including a four-year-old child, were killed in this U.S. strike after it hit a wedding venue. And Trump said that, he then said, you know, where are the Iranian people? When are they going to rise.
Speaker 4: Up and fight? But Civilian deaths from U.S.
Speaker 3: Strikes have the exact opposite effect, reigniting this anti-American sentiment and making Iranians more likely to rally against the U.S.
Speaker 4: Rather than rise up against their regime. Is that how you see it?
Speaker 2: It is, Maddie.
Speaker 1: And I will say this. I love Iran and Iranians. They are fascinating people. They're an educated people. And they really wanted something different. And it was slowly, demographically, the country was changing. And the grip that the mullahs had on the people after 47 years was slipping. Because for 47 years they said, oh, the great Satan wants to destroy you, the great Satan wants to kill us all. Well, now the great Satan is actually bombing civilian targets in Iran, and it really has had an effect for the theocratic regime that runs Iran of solidifying their power. It has set back the possibility of a liberated Iran by a generation.
Speaker 2: In my view.
Speaker 3: Well, on that note, so you told me last time you were on the show that you believe the United States didn't have the military capabilities to properly protect these U.S.
Speaker 4: Bases in the region. We're now seeing, well.
Speaker 3: We have been seeing Iran continuously target these military bases, including yesterday. So how worried are you that U.S. military bases, resources and troops' lives are seriously at risk?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think it's an absolutely existential crisis for the American military. We have lost control of our key naval facility in Bahrain. We are pulling troops out of our key air facilities, especially Al Udeid in Qatar. We are no longer capable of mounting the anti-missile defenses that would protect these facilities. We have burned through all of our anti-missile weapons, and we're now using what they call point defense weapons, which means you have seconds, not minutes, to defend yourself, and the Iranians have gotten good at spoofing our systems. This is not– the military infrastructure we built over generations in the Gulf is being dismantled by inexpensive drone warfare on the part of the Iranians. And that drone warfare is, to go back again, in part enabled by Russia and China.
Speaker 3: Reuters reported today that Trump wants to keep the Iran war relatively quiet until the midterm elections are over because they fear this major, you know, fear major Republican losses with greater military action, potentially reconsidering, you know, causing Americans to reconsider their vote. But how politically cynical do you think it would be for the timing of the war if this is shaped by the midterms?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's undeniable that the midterms are in a meaningful way, being determined because America does not like this war at all. Republicans don't like it. Democrats don't like it. Independents particularly hate it. And it has been an economic and a foreign policy disaster for America.
Speaker 2: It is driving a lot of the anxiety and the anger.
Speaker 1: The Republican Party has a very large cohort that does not like forever wars and overseas interventions. The gas prices, the economic impact on fuel, on fertilizer, on sulfur, that all come out of the Gulf, has been an enormous hit on the American economy.
Speaker 2: It is shaping this election.
Speaker 1: And I frankly think even if he quieted down the war, that's not going to change the price of gas at the pump. It's not going to change the public perception that this war is a disaster, which is a correct perception, by the way.
Speaker 4: Well, what do you think will happen after the midterms, Rick?
Speaker 1: Well, look, right now we are looking at a, almost every model shows the Democrats will control the house of representatives. Increasingly, um, the, the, the, the polling models and the political models are showing that the Democrats have a very good shot at controlling the U S Senate. If they control the U S Senate and the house, this war is going to end. It will be, it will be, it will be shut down. Um, The Iranians were not close to a nuclear weapon. That is a sort of comforting lie the Trump administration told itself and the country. And we're going to see that we're going to have to withdraw from the Gulf. We're going to have to shut this thing down in the posture it is. We're going to have to come to a settlement with Iran. We didn't have to be here. Generations of American political leadership understood that this particular war would be a disaster for the world economy and the American economy. And the Democrats have to be ready to to force the president's hand on this with the War Powers Act. We've got to stop the sort of polite fiction that this is not a war that we started, a war of our choice.
Speaker 4: Let's get into Russia's involvement.
Speaker 3: So Trump has been pressuring Putin to abandon Iran, even sending his CIA director, John Ratcliffe, to Moscow last week. But the Financial Times is now revealing that Russia has secretly been helping Tehran develop these missiles capable of of threatening US warships since 2023. That cooperation has continued right up until this war. So there is no evidence that any of these have been operational, any of these Russian-assisted supersonic missiles have been deployed.
Speaker 4: We don't know if they've been used.
Speaker 3: But if Putin is providing Iran with intelligence, which you've said to me that you 100% believe that they are, and helping develop weapons that could be threatening US forces, Why isn't the Trump administration treating Russia as an adversary?
Speaker 1: Because Donald Trump has a mental defect about how he views Russia. He has a belief that Putin is his friend, that he loves him, that he admires him, and Trump reciprocates that. Now, Putin looks at Trump as a fool and a sucker. Putin is an old intelligence officer who has Trump in his brain as someone he can manipulate. Trump believes that Putin is his friend and that Russia is the future and that Russia, um, is this.
Speaker 2: Unconquerable power in the world.
Speaker 1: It is, it is a, a, a persistent mystery to many Americans why this is, but it shouldn't be. This is a guy, Trump is a guy who, who is the textbook case of easily manipulated and, and Putin has easily manipulated him for 10 years now. Um, Russia is at war with the West. They're at war with America. They're at war with Europe. They're at war with Britain. They are a terrorist state that is right now involved in targeting civilians in a war they chose in Ukraine. They are committing war crimes at scale. They are right now engaged in this hybrid war with Europe. We've seen growing numbers of sabotage and terrorist attacks across Europe generated by Russia, operated likely by the GRU, And Trump.
Speaker 2: Is the last guy in the room who doesn't understand this.
Speaker 1: He doesn't believe it and understand it, but we are at a point now in this country where the threat that Russia has posed to destabilize all of Europe and the Middle East is a tangible threat, and only Trump believes that Russia... Well, and his Deputy Secretary of Defense, Elbridge Colby, who they are both Putin fanboys of the highest order, and they... They don't see a threat where everyone else in the world sees the bombs going off.
Speaker 4: If U.S.
Speaker 3: Forces are or were ultimately killed by Russian-assisted Iranian missiles, how would the American people react.
Speaker 4: To that, do you think?
Speaker 3: Would they be furious that Trump had the power to squeeze Putin economically but didn't do more to bankrupt Russia while helping arm America's enemy?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, Donald Trump invited.
Speaker 1: Putin's treasury secretary to the G20 summit this week, to the horror, correctly, of everyone from Europe and the rest of the G20. Donald Trump does not care if Putin's weapons kill Americans. He doesn't care. He puts his relationship with Putin before the lives of the U.S. troops that are on the line in the Middle East and elsewhere.
Speaker 2: It's just a fact.
Speaker 3: So you really don't think that Donald Trump cares if U.S. troops are killed in this war?
Speaker 2: He does not care.
Speaker 1: If the Iranians kill them, he cares somewhat, but if the Russian weapons kill them, he does not care. He has a gigantic blind spot to Vladimir Putin's actions.
Speaker 2: He doesn't care.
Speaker 1: They believe that Vladimir Putin is their ally in the White House, and it is a horrific choice by Trump, and it is something that has put the country in danger, but You know, Putin is waging war on the West, including the United States, and Donald Trump will be the last person to see it and admit it.
Speaker 3: You know, when I have Sir Bill Browder on my show, he was on yesterday as well, he actively tries to wrap his head around why Trump has this fascination and, you know, blind spot for Vladimir Putin. And he, as you and I have discussed, he can't figure it out, but he thinks that there is something sinister under Putin under the wraps going on between the two, whether it be, you know, a pact for an eventual business deal and investment in Russia when that is necessary.
Speaker 4: But I mean, what are your thoughts on that, Rick?
Speaker 3: Do you think that, you know, under the cover of darkness, there is something going on between the two?
Speaker 1: In 1987, Donald Trump made his first trip to Moscow. And when he was in Moscow, something happened. I don't know what. No one knows what.
Speaker 2: But he came back and immediately put a letter in the New York– a paid ad in the New York Times that said we need to get out of NATO, that.
Speaker 1: We're paying too much. It was Russian Talking Points 101. At that moment, something had happened in Trump's brain. And whether it was compromise or whether it was just Trump's unsophisticated nature or whether it was the Russians just persuading him that he could do business in Russia and build a Trump Tower in Moscow– Whatever it was, whether it was venality or a compromise, Trump changed.
Speaker 2: And he has never abandoned that since 1987.
Speaker 1: If Trump was not a Russian asset, the old question is, how could you tell?
Speaker 2: If he's not a Russian asset, how could you tell?
Speaker 1: Because he's always made choices as a private citizen, as a businessman, as a candidate, and as a president to accept Russia on its terms, not on America's terms. And so I think that there will someday be a revelation about what happened. We will someday get a look inside Russia's archives, as we did after the Cold War with the Matryoshkin archive. We will someday get a look at this and understand it, but no one can really tell you what and.
Speaker 2: Why Trump's brain is shaped the way it is when it comes to Russia.
Speaker 3: So you believe there is something more sinister, deeper involved in the relationship between Trump and Putin. And one day, hopefully soon, we will find out.
Speaker 1: Whether it's financial or sexual or whatever it is, I don't know that answer. But I know that the pattern of his behavior is absolutely inexplicable. without something being underneath that. You know, in intelligence, they used to say there was an acronym called MICE, money, ideology, compromise, and ego. And those were the four ways you got somebody to work for a foreign power. Trump is vulnerable on all those axes. Money drives his behavior incredibly powerfully. Ideology, he believes in the strongman. He believes in the monarchy model, the dictator model, the autocrat model.
Speaker 2: Compromise, He's a degenerate. Ego.
Speaker 1: Obviously, his ego is not something that we can ignore. So he's vulnerable in all these ways. And something changed. Something broke him in 87, broke bad in 87 toward the Russian perspective.
Speaker 2: And he's never abandoned it.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to a different kind of relationship, Rick, which is, of course, Donald Trump and Mark Carney.
Speaker 4: So Mark Carney has had enough of Trump.
Speaker 3: He's told the Trump administration, stop doing your memes.
Speaker 4: Stop throwing shade.
Speaker 3: And stop trying to be tough after Trump launched, you know, more verbal attacks and spent the weekend posting these AI videos of Lake America, rebranding the Canadian geese to the duck. So Trump's administration seems to be doubling down on this, but I want to get your thoughts on this, Rick, you know, is this whole thing embarrassing for Trump, especially when the Canadian PM has to basically tell him to shut up?
Speaker 1: Look, Trump is beyond being embarrassed. He has no sense of shame or propriety or moral guidance or any of that stuff. It, astounds me to watch Mark Carney be a better president than Donald Trump. Mark Carney has more dignity and gravitas, and as somebody said the other day, Mark Carney is the West Wing president people wanted. He's the kind of guy who is the adult in the room, who is steady, who is calm, who is smart, who has an intellectual capacity to deal with complex leadership issues. Donald Trump is... Clownish in all these things, and he's trying to meme his way to victory over Canada. If you're losing negotiations with the nicest country on earth, you're losing. And Trump, he doesn't have the ability to understand how clownish and embarrassing he is. 68% of Americans oppose this whole Lake Ontario thing. 78% of Americans oppose the trade war with Canada. Carney has handled this perfectly, and he's called Trump out.
Speaker 2: For what he is. He's a child. He's juvenile.
Speaker 1: It's petty and foolish, and it doesn't accomplish any goal for America. america is not safer or richer or better in the world by going to war with our neighbor and closest ally it just isn't the case and americans get it it's also hurting trump politically maddie in a way that that he doesn't care about or understand um maine where we have a vital u.s senate race Michigan, where we have another vital U.S.
Speaker 2: Senate race. Alaska, where we have another vital U.S. Senate race.
Speaker 1: All of these states are involved every single day with massive trade and commerce with Canada. The voters in those states are being hurt by Trump's decision to put a 50% tariff on the Canadians.
Speaker 2: It's madness. It's political malpractice. But of course, he's going to do it.
Speaker 1: And of course, the Republican Party is going to say, this is the most brilliant thing we've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, dear leader. Do more.
Speaker 1: So it really has had a profoundly stupid effect on.
Speaker 2: Trump's own base by doing this.
Speaker 1: And I think we're going to end up with Mark Carney looking like a hero out of this because the tariffs are going to go away. Trump will either withdraw them on his own because of the economic calamity they cause, or Congress, when it's in the hands of the Democrats, will take back its tariff power that it has under the Constitution and that was only ceded to Trump by Mike Johnson and the Republican Party. Congress has absolute power over tariffs. They're in a position to say on day one, nope, we're done with this silliness. We're going back to where the world ought to be, which is we're going to be free and fair open trading partners with our neighbors and our friends. And it will frankly improve the economy of both countries. And Trump at that point will be holding the bag of his embarrassment.
Speaker 3: I thought the polling was quite interesting on the Canada rhetoric, as you mentioned, Rick. So, you know, just 20% of Americans support these tariffs on Canada, 57% oppose. And then I think less than 14% backs this Lake America rhetoric. But you said, you know, you mentioned how this kind of falls on Republicans. But CNN was reporting yesterday that several Republicans are not happy with With Trump's rhetoric towards Canada, and my guest Bill yesterday, he was saying his Republican contacts have voiced the same concerns. So I wanted to get your thoughts. I mean, you've obviously got your finger on the pulse. Have you had many of your Republican friends and sources tell you what's going on behind closed doors?
Speaker 1: I had a friend who's working for Susan Collins yesterday, or the day before yesterday, excuse me, tell me this is probably the stupidest thing. And he said to me, he goes, we thought we could save this election and now... This is going to put a direct hit on Maine timber, lobsters and fishing, and the services economy in Maine that depends on that trade with Canada. Now Susan Collins, she can say she objects to it all she wants, but once again, she has no power to stop Trump from hurting her state.
Speaker 2: So they feel like that really hurt them. In Michigan... You know, we've seen a number.
Speaker 1: Of polls that El-Sayed is now ahead of Rodgers by five, six points in a number of polls. And Michigan's trade with Canada on the industrial side, on the automotive side, is enormous. And now you've got Mike Rodgers having to defend a policy that's directly hurting the very voters he needs to win over to get back on top in Michigan. So it has really reshaped the campaigns there in the last few days. And given these Democratic candidates who, frankly, were both in a little bit of an uphill climb before this, it has given them a real boost against their Republican opponents. And even if Trump undoes his positions now, the damage has been done. So it is definitely an own goal politically.
Speaker 2: For the Republicans.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, we're 18 months into this second term, Rick.
Speaker 3: We've had Mark Carney, Georgia Maloney, Keir Starmer, you know, Fredrickson, Albanese, Macron, Mertz. These are just a few of the world leaders that Trump has now clashed with, leader after leader of America's closest allies. I mean, how do you think this looks? At what point does this America first simply become America alone?
Speaker 2: Well, that is.
Speaker 1: Really part of the objective in Trump's mind. He is a believer, and there are some people around him who are believers in this idea that the world should be split into.
Speaker 2: Three factions, basically.
Speaker 1: The Chinese get Asia, the Americans get North and South America, Russia gets Europe, and Africa's a jump ball. And Trump really believes that that is the world in the future.
Speaker 2: It is not.
Speaker 1: But America alone does not bother Trump. He doesn't believe in alliances except with Russia. He wants to realign the world that came to be after the Cold War ended so that it is essentially three autocratic power blocks.
Speaker 2: That is not.
Speaker 1: In America's best interest, obviously. It is not America's values, obviously. It is not Europe's values, obviously. But the idea in Trump's head that we should not have allies that have been with us for 80, 90, hundreds of years is insane, of course. But it is very typical of Trump to do the thing that hurts America most.
Speaker 4: We need to get into this Pentagon purge. I want to get your thoughts.
Speaker 3: This is heating up again. Pete Hegseth's leadership is very much under scrutiny. So I'm just going to read out a bit of a timeline for the audience, Rick. So Pete Hegseth has launched this sweeping military shakeup. More than two dozen senior officers have reportedly been fired or sidelined, a lot of them without public explanation. In April, he fired the army chief, General Randy George, a key figure in Dan Driscoll's push to modernize the army through drones, a new warfare that was kind of going to what you were saying about how it's so important for the U.S. Army to be focusing on what works, which is, of course, drones.
Speaker 4: Dan Driscoll, he was clashed with Hegseth.
Speaker 3: He reportedly raised resisting efforts to block certain qualified officers for a promotion.
Speaker 4: Last week, Driscoll went to Trump.
Speaker 3: He warned about this purge and how it's damaging the army readiness and modernization. Trump was reportedly surprised by this. Dan Driscoll then resigns. He leaves the army without Senate-confirmed leadership at either the civilian or the uniformed top during the war. One defense official warned that the consequences could amount to this generational damage. And then this New York Times article update from today is that Pete Hegseth has now fired or blocked the promotions of more than 80 generals or admirals, around 10% of America's top military officers. Also, it should be noted that we're in the midst of a war, we being the United States. But what are your thoughts on this military purge? Rick Hegseth, leadership, what are your thoughts on that? And are you hearing anything on the inside about this?
Speaker 1: Well, the damage Hegseth has done to the Army's leadership in particular is catastrophic. He has winnowed out an extraordinarily promising generation of young leaders who had a grasp of the technological changes that drone warfare and hybrid warfare have wrought over the last five years, and particularly during the post-Ukraine war.
Speaker 2: He is determined.
Speaker 1: to build a military based around a weird set of his own ego needs. He wants the high testosterone warfighter thing, but that's not the future of warfare.
Speaker 2: The future of warfare is.
Speaker 1: Technical and technological and driven by drones and driven by AI and driven by enhanced targeting and enhanced ISR, intelligence surveillance and reconnaissance. He is not willing to have that military under him. He's got this idea of, You know, early global war on terror, big guys with lots of steroids running around, lots of testosterone running around.
Speaker 2: And the war has changed.
Speaker 1: That 19-year-old girl in Ukraine who is running a drone operation with 150 network drones against a Russian assault is more valuable now than the big muscle dude that Pete Hexeth is obsessed by. And unfortunately for Pete Hexeth, he was very bitter about his army career. He was never selected for the ranger schools or the special services or any of the special operations commands. He clearly wanted that. That's why he's trying to destroy them in a weird way. And so stripping out these generals, stripping out these military officials who were innovators is one level in which he's destroyed the army in particular. But for the rest of the services, he's also targeted every rising military a younger leader who is African-American or female or Hispanic. He hates them. He wants them out. He's purging the military of those people. And he's built an army of online trolls, which he thinks is more important than building an army that is capable of facing a technological future that he does not understand how to achieve. The blowback inside the Senate is building quickly. I've heard a lot of senators who voted for him are suddenly... absolutely furious. They recognize the damage he's causing. It's probably too late to mitigate most of it, but it's going to take a generation now to reformat and reestablish civilian control of the military in a way that honors the values of the United States and the U.S.
Speaker 2: Military.
Speaker 1: He has politicized it at a level that no one could have anticipated, except for me, of course, which I wrote early in 2025. You must not confirm Pete Hegseth. He's a danger to this to the security of the united.
Speaker 3: States so just a final just a no just a final question yes or no do you think he should be fired absolutely rick wilson thank you so much for joining the trump thank you maddie great.
Speaker 2: To be with you as always Thank you.