Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day, now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of slap happy today. I mean, I feel like the energy the Shenanigans has been has been a little bit due to just despite us working like it kind of feels like a snow day, like we don't have to be on our best behavior. We don't have to. I mean, I probably shouldn't say that, you know, because I'm sure my bosses expect me to take every day with the same level of work ethic and all that. But Austin and I were giggling like school children during the break because Chuck McDowell, that's a guy you hear a lot. Yeah, because he's very much into marketing and advertise his business, and uh, we appreciate that, right because that's something we rely on. And he's been a I mean, you hear him a lot. And if you don't know who I'm talking about, and you're just thinking, like, who the hell is Chuck McDowell, it's the guy that you occasionally hear that wants you to know how badly he hates time shares. Yeah, but what do you think he hates more time shares or attorneys. That's I mean, I think time shares has been his nemesis forever. And then now he's like, well, wait a second, these people think I'm an attorney. The hell with that. I don't want to smell like an attorney. I don't want to look like an attorney. So I mean he's out on attorneys. I mean he's not one, by the way, just get it correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also made a great point, like a guy who can have that kind of you know, disdain for things and clearly let and make it be known like it. Put it this way. If he's loyal to me and we're boys and I dislike condos, you know what, he's gonna take down the condo industr. Oh yeah, because that's your guy foxhol right.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I If if I even have a shred of doubt about ever wanting known a time share, or if my fiance thinks about bringing one up, I'm gonna say no, no, no, no, no not. That's not what my guy Chuck McDowell says.
Speaker 2: You need a guy that's loyal.
Speaker 5: He's gonna set her straight, set anybody straight. Because I mean the guy he sounds like he hates doing it with how much that he hates everything that's involved in it, but he wants to protect the regular man, your everyday guy.
Speaker 2: The attorney thing is somewhere. It's it's clearly the newer side of his of his marketing, because for a while it was that very very unique voice that does stand out and you just know that, like he's angry about time shares and he wants to help you if you're in a time share and don't listen to people in the time share like it was all anti tom share. And then I guess somebody probably wait a second, are you an attorney? And then he was like, oh, now I got to mix it up because I gotta let him know I'm anti time share. But I'll be damned if they're gonna think all these years I've been an attorney.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 5: So even even if you hate time shares and you want to get out of him and you want to call Chuck, you might think to yourself, well, is this guy gonna screw me over because he's an attorney And Nope, don't even think.
Speaker 3: Don't even go down that road.
Speaker 2: Don't insult him like that. He'd never be doesn't even want to smell him, doesn't even want him in the same zip code as he's in, So shut up to to Chuck McDowell here on a on a snowy Monday after.
Speaker 3: That sounds like he has a mustache.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, clearly he's got like a he's got like a food man shoe.
Speaker 5: I think, Oh yeah, that doesn't shock me. A mustache and a cowboy hat is exactly I don't.
Speaker 2: I want I want to don't don't, don't look him up. I'm not gonna look him up.
Speaker 4: You look him up.
Speaker 2: I want the vision that I have in my head of Chuck McDowell, Anti Tom Share Hell with attorneys. I want the visual in my brain to to just always be what I assume he looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine a meeting with him.
Speaker 5: Is just like he he like Doug Demonome of the Fairly Odd Parents. I don't know if you know who that is. He's just like the owner of the Dimmesdale Demonome. And he has a huge hat. I'm just gonna imagine he has the stash fou Man chew and he's gonna talk to you over a glass of scotch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's just he's just observing anybody talking and timeshare. If here, if he hears, when he's gonna go over there and he's going to deal with it, because that's.
Speaker 3: That's his ears raised like a German shepherd.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. It's a really weird thing to be that hard up about. But clearly he had a bad experience with the time share and he's been able to create an entire new world for himself with a great career where he body bags timeshare companies.
Speaker 3: Good for him. You found something's passionate about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the that's the American dream right there.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So this weather today and yesterday has been I think, really exactly what they were warning us about. And as much as I and I like to acknowledge the oftentimes they're wrong as far as what they predict will happen. And sometimes they're just way off. Sometimes the snow is not as much as they thought it would be. They they two overestimating the the you know, the amount that they're going to get by inch or two, maybe more than that story of my life, right, But when it comes down to it, this time they got it right. They were spot on not only with the amount of snow, but like when it would happen. I woke up on Sunday morning about eight thirty ish, and sure enough, there was already a nice little layer of snow out there, and it kept going and didn't stop until last night. And last night it turned to kind of freezing rain, and we got some good snow out here where I'm at. This morning, it snowed pretty consistently for you know, a few hours, maybe even a little bit longer, but for about an hour and some change, it was snowing really really hard, probably harder than it was at any point yesterday from what I could tell. So we got a lot of snow, and that's led to a lot of school closings, a lot of businesses closed, and roads aren't great. So I think, you know, I'm not gonna actually shouldn't say anything. I was gonna say. I feel like the Interstates are probably not terrible, but I could be totally wrong, because there's the thing. All it takes is you know, them getting out there plowing the main roads with the Interstates and just you know, mixing it up. But it quickly will freeze and that's when it gets really dangerous, and that's the spot we're in now, I mean you can, I think you can. You can treat this, you know, pretty effectively for the resources we have in a place like Louisville that does get enough snow to where they've got they've got what they need to go out there and salt the roads and get the trucks out and all that kind of stuff. But when it's this much tono mixed in with the ice and the freezing rain, and then it's gonna be as cold as it's going to be, like, it makes sense as to why school is canceled tomorrow, and I believe even on Wednesday for JCPS. Don't quote me on that because I don't have kids in the JCPS, but yeah, I know that schools being closed tomorrow and even Wednesday wouldn't necessarily be considered a big shock here. But I'm reading from WLKY there are one hundred and ten snowplow routes throughout the day in about twenty seven hundred miles of roads here in Louisville. And this is from Mayor Craig Greenberg. He had his press conference earlier today and says it takes about six hours to treat roads in Jefferson County and it takes twelve hours to plow the roads, so not every road obviously is going to be getting touched. They don't have the ability to do that. That would be a little much to assume they could cover every road that is in the state of the City of Louisville and Jefferson County. But you know, if they're out there pretty consistently, I'd say, well, we'll be in better shape tomorrow than we were today. But when you think about kids at the bus stop and some roads that aren't going to get treated that those buses have to go down, it makes sense to go ahead and call off school. And I know that, I know that there are oftentimes angry parents that hate when their kids are out of school because it inconveniences them. And look, I get it, I don't you know. I never understood what anybody gets out of going to Facebook and just you know, letting the like if you get frustrated with your kids having a snow day because you don't think it was necessary, you feel like the roads are fine and your kids could have taken the bus. I get it, Like I could understand how you're thinking. Come on, like, now I got to go pay out of pocket for a day at childcare, and now I got to take a PTO day at work because I gotta stay on and watch my kid. You tell me he's got to do school from home. I can't do that with my job. So, like, I get all the frustration, but I've just never understood why it feels better to go either post about it on Facebook or go to the comments sections for JCPS. Oh yeah, I shouldn't laugh. But like at times, even whenever like I know that like they're coming, like they have reason to be like upset, I still find entertainment in the comments, Like whenever they couldn't get kids to school in JCPS and it was a national story because of how big of a disaster the new bus schedule routes system was. I mean I still couldn't stop reading some of the comments. I mean I shouldn't do that, because you know, these are people that like are justifiably upset and concerned, and their criticism is warranted. But man, I just you know, I've never had the instincts to be like, all right, that's it. I've had it. Open up the Facebook app, I got, I got something to say. But I do feel like the older here's what I think it is, Austin, because would you agree that it's not all the older generation. But I think a lot of like people just posted like I know, I'm not the only one that's in the mid thirties or younger that sees an elder of mine, an aunt, a grandparent, a parent, or just you know somebody you know that is in that age range. And you see a poster or a comment and you think, man, not sure why they put that on Facebook? Yeah whatever, like the whole family, Yeah, okay, thank you. So I don't want to act like I know I miss it, like I'm picking on them, but you know, I uh, I know I'm not alone as far as seeing that, so you know, and.
Speaker 5: They don't like being alone too. That's why they posted so they could get the four other likes so they can have an agreement.
Speaker 2: But as we discussed earlier, kind of like me, I missed the thrill of waking up knowing its borderline right, Like it would be great to know, hey, we got two days off for snow because it's that bad. I mean, that's great, you'll take it. But the thrill of waking up knowing it was going to be questionable knowing. And I was a little bit different because in Jefferson County there were a lot of days we got off in Bullet County, but they didn't. So I knew we had a very small we didn't have the same resources. We had a much a much different you know threshold as far as what would it would it would take to get us out of school? And uh, sure enough, we got out of school a lot. And I remember waking up, running to the TV and waiting.
Speaker 3: For tune into meteorologist John Belski.
Speaker 2: Well, wasn't even that like it to mean, if if if I saw that, it would be great, but like they could be into a commercial, they'd still keep that bottom ticker. And I just know that once they got to like Anderson County and Breckenridge County, uh you know, in that area, Bullet was going to come up sooner or later. And I knew that if they got to Carroll County and we didn't get called off, then I had to go to school. And I was a very very sad kid. So anyways, I back to the generation thing like now people will kids today will never experience that. And earlier somebody was kind of making fun of me for how excited it got me, and I get it, but hey, whenever I was younger, that's the way that was the quickest way for us to find out, really the only way for us to find out if we had school or not. So kind of like the older generation when they go and complain on Facebook about every little thing and they feel like any thought that comes in their mind needs to be a status. You got to keep in mind these people, they went a long time without having any platform on a social media from a social media standpoint to share anything, right, Like they were too old for MySpace. They they got on Facebook once it no longer was a thing that you could only have access to unless you were a college student with a dot edu email address. So like it's kind of you know, instead of you know, getting enjoyment and kind of like wondering, why are they so crazy on Facebook? Like that's just that's they just broke the ice and this is just this is how they use the platform. You know, everybody's different, different generations, different eras, that kind of stuff. But anyways, when it comes to parents that you know, really question the decision about should we or should we not have school? Why do you cancel school. Now I got to take a day off work that kind of stuff. This was the kind of snowstorm where that didn't matter, right, Like you knew, Yeah, it makes total sense for them to not send the kids to school whenever they're closing down interstates for stretch of time. So at least this time around, you had a little bit more of a heads up to prepare for whatever you needed to do with your kids who didn't go to school or I mean, heck, daycare. My son goes to daycare. He will start kindergarten next year, but he didn't have daycare yesterday. I just got a notification that they sent some kind of a message on the app. I would imagine they're probably not going to have daycare tomorrow either because of how bad the roads are. So again, I know some people hate this kind of stuff because it incondences them, and I totally get it, but I'm still kind of a little kid at heart when it comes to snow impacting us. Yes, I still have a job to do. I'm doing it as we speak, and you know, my life didn't get better from this, but like last night, we're all kind of snowed in a little bit watching watching TV with the family and just looking out the window. And I enjoy this kind of stuff. I wish it would have come during Christmas time. I think that would have been better. But hey, this is easily the best, or I guess maybe you could say the worst. This is the most snow that we've had in quite some time. And you know, I'm enjoying it. But again I understand. I'm sure there's some people that hate it and they can't wait for it to be over, and you know, everybody's different. All right, before we dive back in and start talking about this Louisville basketball team and certainly get into the NFL playoff matchups, there's five openings currently in the NFL as of five point fifteen here on Black Monday. Also, I think with Kentucky's win against Florida, if the Ohio State loss was one that you thought maybe knocked him down a peg, I think their win against the Gators is probably a reminder that Mark Pope's got him a team that can probably beat anybody. And and and you know, i'magine Kentucky fans are pretty happy about that in year one of the Pope era. But let's go to the phone line five X two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to jump in and give us a call. Let's go to Brad. Brad, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: How are you, hey, Nick?
Speaker 4: I hope you should hear me. I'm outside, I'm actually sitting in my hot looking at this SnO and yeah, I'm not gonna lie a few bears too. But but I tell you what, you know, talking about the snow days there with your family and all. Uh, we played some games last night. My two sons got you know, gotten to a heat of battle of pictionary. But but I just wanted to I just wanted to say I got three boys on my own. And I saw that video of Moose scoring his first bucket. Yeah that was all. It really brought a tear to my eye. I got three boys, Like I said, I got seventeen, soon to be sixteen here by next week, and then a ten year old. But just one father to another. Embrace it, just just embrace it. Don't get too shook up. You know, sometimes things may not go the best for Moose, but hopefully Old p K keeps an eye on Moose. Took me a future Cardinalefully.
Speaker 2: That would be that would be great. And Brad, I appreciate the call man. Always good to hear from.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you listening, enjoy those beers in the hot tub. No place better to be right now than in a hot tub, listening to coffee and company, throwing back some pilsners as you know, it's freezing outside. I'm very jealous of people who have hot tubs. My stepfather and my mother they mind they have one, and they were in last night and it looked like a lot of fun. But yeah, Brad mentioned my son Moose. He had his first ever basketball game on Saturday in the It's the four and five year Old League and I think it's Fern Creek Optimist and you know, it's four and five year old basketball. But I do love I was and I really was worried about him playing basketball at this age. You know, the only sport I played was basketball, and it was a big, big part of my life. And obviously I've I've often thought about if Mason wants to play basketball, and if he enjoys it, and if he's good at it, like how special it would be. You know, if he doesn't, then you know, I'll still love him, but you know, obviously be great for him to play basketball, and it could be a lot of fun. And he's played baseball before t ball, I should say he played flag football, and it was great to see him out there with basketball. I just didn't really know what to expect, and I didn't want to, you know, I didn't want to be the guy that was too much on him at an early age, because I you know, I love basketball and I played. I'm not somebody that's gonna try to give him all. It's not really killing me to not be out there coaching him in football and baseball, but in basketball, he's gonna be hard for me not to be involved. But I tried to just kind of you know, he's four. I don't want to be too hard on him. I don't want to be too into it to where it feels like work, Like I want him to have fun. And a lot of the basketball leagues that I've seen at that age, I didn't want him to play because it's not basketball and it's unorganized, and he would realize this is not fun, this is just a big joke, Like I want to go home, like this isn't cool. So I didn't want his first impression to be that. So with this league, I love it. They lower the they have these things that hang from the ten foot rim and it's just another goal that's lower. They play with a smaller basketball, and they have these mats on the court that every player on defense has to stand on. That way, you can kind of learn how to dribble. You can still get to a path. It's not a complete free for all where everybody's falling. I mean kids are still falling over and at times it does look like a free for all, but you're required to stay in your spot on defense. And kids can still pass the ball. They can really really get the basics of just passing it. You know a lot of kids don't dribble without walking or double dribbling. Although you know, that was what my dad had to remind me of on Saturday. And by the way, my dad is his head coach and I'm the assistant. So the video that Brad was talking about, Moose got his first bucket and I didn't teach him to run down court like he was Steph Curry and bounce around with some swagger to his step and the first person to give him a high five after he made it was my dad who's coaching him, and it was just a really cool moment. And you know, corny for sure, I'm sure to some, but like I've been, I've been holding it in since since that happened. Like that was an emotional moment for me. It was really really cool. And I don't know what the future holds for him in sports at all, but that was just really really cool. So but with the league, again, I think it's it's it's really it's it's the best way to do it for kids that are that young. Even if there are some that are going to be a little bit more advanced than others or some that are going to be a little bit more behind than others, this is still the right way to do it to where they can grasp really what it is, what what they're doing out there. They're they're they're you know, they pass it, you know, they this side is offense, the other side's defense. Like and it sounds so silly to say it that way, but again we're talking about four and five year old kids, so very very young.
Speaker 3: But you know, thing we.
Speaker 2: Did the majority of the time was to just try to tell them, hey, get back on defense, or hey, give this give this person a turn, make sure you dribble it, because that's the one thing that a lot of these kids aren't doing, is they just they're like running backs out there after a rebound going the other way and filling it up in the air. And you know, Moose would dribble each time he got the ball and just dribble down and get a bucket like he had. He had over twenty points in his first game, which yeah, was that guy keeping score. But he played well and it was a lot of fun. But I was getting on him like, hey, why do you keep picking up dribble like because he would dribble, but pick it up and then you know, kind of take off again, Like he wasn't going coast to coast with the rock in his hand the whole time. But as I was getting on him, my dad was like, well, you realize he's the only kid that every time he's touched it has at least tried to dribble. And I'm like, you know what, you're right. Like that was that moment where dad, my dad had to tell me, all right, you know, let's not get crazy. I know you want you want him to be the best player he can be, but he's doing pretty good and he's pretty much, you know, holding his own out there. So it was it was really cool.
Speaker 4: I I.
Speaker 2: One thing that like I never you know, thought about when I got into radio at all, was like talking about this kind of stuff. And I know some people listening right now are like, please, I wish you would do less of this because I don't care about your family or your kid. I want you to feed me sports content and for sports information about James Scott. Yeah, yeah, Like I know what's bro I'm gonna do with the old line and the portal. Like I know there are people that are kind of in that in that world, and that's fine. We appreciate you however you're listening, however you listen. But like I've done this long enough to where people don't know me personally, but like they kind of feel like they know they know me a little bit because they listen. And I've been doing this for almost nine years now, and it's relatable to people. I have a family now, I didn't when I started. Now I got two kids, one daughter that's specially needs child. So I talked often about sort of our experience and our life with her, and you know, I'm a family man, and it's probably not something that I can ever pitch. Hey, you should listen to my show. I talk about my life and my family, but it does come up from time to time, and I love talking about it because you know, it's something that I love. And I know a lot of people are family people as well. They've got kids and they've got wives or husbands, and you know, it's relatable.
Speaker 3: So and you learn some family messages along the way, exactly.
Speaker 2: And we're all family here right, Coffee and Company, that's us. So sit back, relax, make yourself at home. We're with you until six o'clock. So hang out right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven nine.
Speaker 2: So we mentioned the free tickets that Rick Kieber Planet Fitness, the CEO of Glow Brands, and one of those brands is, in fact, Planet Fitness. I think Rickyber's somebody I don't have to introduce to anymore. But regardless, he was giving away a bunch of free tickets and maybe he still is. But there are five hundred tickets that were up for grabs. For tomorrow's Louisville and Clemson game, and obviously giving free tickets out could get people that maybe you are on the fence about going due to the weather. Maybe if they've got free tickets, then they'll say, okay, I'll be there. Because you want a good crowd for every game obviously, but tomorrow there's a big game where you got a chance to get a win against one of the better teams in the ACC and and continue to to really play well. I mean, they this team, I don't anytime I act like, you know, anytime I put it out there as if like I think they're really good and they're only getting better. And man, I think right now they play this way and they start making more three point shots and they get a little better at the line. Man, maybe these team's actually not just good enough to make the tournament. Maybe they're really good. Like I kind of pump the brakes before I get there, But I don't really know if I should be doing that. You know, Louisville's beatable. Trust me EKU showed us that, UTEV showed us that. But I mean, they're playing really really good basketball right now, and I think they're getting more and more confident with you know, their identity. And what I mean by that is when they lost guys to injury, it really changed the rec of me. But but it changed the outlook. It's certainly lowered the ceiling for this team without Prior and without Corn Johnson. But over time, these guys, you know, this is who you are. You found you got, you got clarification, right, you got you got to figure out if you're getting any of these guys back, and you found out you're not getting either of them, and you had to kind of regroup. And I think, slowly but surely, this this team has put themselves in a spot to where you know, they could still play poorly and lose to anybody, but you know they're out there undersized when it comes to most of their opponents, and they're just crushing the backboard, just out working their opponents, the first one on the floor for a loose ball. I mean, they're Their attention to detail defensively, I think has made it in the last two games to where they can have a really off night from three and free throw line. Against Carolina and against Virginia. You didn't have a terrible percentage, You didn't even really get to get that many looks because of the way they play. But yet you know, you still you only make seven threes, you still win by twenty points on the road. So again, team's playing really well right now, and a win against Clemson, to be honest with you, would give you the best win of those three, if, of course you get it, because Clemson right now is in a better spot than Carolina and certainly Virginia who's having a down year. So tomorrow is a big game, no doubt. But somebody on the text line, in fact, two people have now mentioned this, and maybe this is something that's on one of the message boards, maybe this is something on the Trilli Donovan discord. I really don't know, haven't heard a thing, but it wouldn't shock me. But a couple of people people have mentioned that there could be another commitment type of thing tomorrow for Louisville. Now, I don't think you're going to get another five star point guard to commit to you like Michael Brown did, but here'd be my guess. And again this is just a guess. This is not anything I'm here, and this is just the guess. I would imagine that if there is some kind of like announcements some kind of like a commitment. It could be one of the guys that's hurt saying he's coming back to Louisville next year. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's way too early to do that, but I do know that there's one guy in particular that is not playing because of injury that they they're trying to get him to come back to college for another year and of course come back and play Louisville. That's that's the case in prior. So I don't know if that's going to happen, but from what I've gathered that that, well, I don't know. I'm gonna put my foot in my mouth, not because like I'm gonna spill the beans on something I'm supposed to be quiet about. No, I don't have a clue what's going to happen or if that would happen. But I know that that is something that they're trying to do, which is convinced him to stay and work out whatever arrangement needs to be work out to make that happen. And if they've already made it happen, then maybe they make that kind of announcement, because you know that that would be pretty special. But even if there is no kind of a commitment thing or whatnot, tomorrow, it's still be a huge game for this Louisville team against a Clemson group that you know, I don't know Clemson is the team. I don't really know how good they are, right They beat Kentucky, which of course was an impressive win for them, no doubt, and they are fresh off of an Elite eight, But like, I don't I've watched them play and I know they're you know, they're good enough to beat Louisville because I think Fluyboll didn't play well. Anybody is, but they've got a pretty weird resume. They only have one win that I think you can claim is like a good win, and it's a really good win. That's Kentucky. Their other wins are against teams that you know they're kind of supposed to be and they do have a loss to Boise State that hasn't aged that well. They also lost to Memphis, who is having a pretty good year, but that was in overtime, and then they lost to South Carolina. Like that's what it is. The Boise State lost in them losing to South Carolina. When South Carolina you know, despite the SEC being completely loaded, South Carolina is one of the worst teams in that league and just lost about thirty five to Mississippi State, so you know they're they're good for the ACC. They concert beat Louisville, they look like they should make the tournament, but like they're not. I mean, Louisville could easily go in and beat them, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if they played the way they've been playing lately. But currently the kin Pom projected score is a seventy three to seventy one victory for Louisville. So if you remember, there was a two point expected win for Louisville against Virginia and they won that game by a total of twenty points. So kin Pom's been wrong about Louisville these last couple of games because the Carolina game is also supposed to be a slight loss and they won that one BYuT thirteen. So I'm trying to see if we've got a spread for tomorrow. Typically we do by this time. Let's see, I'm scrolling through here and seeing all the games this evening, but for tomorrow, yeah, Louisville is favored any guesses you've probably already seen it, Austin, No.
Speaker 3: I haven't. I guess you said the Louisville.
Speaker 2: Is favored, yep against Clemson.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say three three and a half, not bad exactly forgetting that Entucky.
Speaker 2: Kentucky is at Georgia and they are favored by three and a half as well, So I'm not surprised again Louisville. Louisville's louis puts pretty goo basketball as of late, and I think the the odds, the odds makers are are are able to see that. And if you can, I think, right, who knows, I mean, maybe maybe comes in here and takes care of business and it's a bad day for the Louisville I don't know. And that's been one of the things that's kind of exciting to me is I really don't really I'm knowing, not knowing really what to expect in some of these games. It has made it more fun, I guess the lead up and you know, whenever you no longer have any it would be nice to have that feeling we used to have where you just expected to beat ninety seven percent of your schedule because you're who you are, You know you'll lose to certain teams. You know, you'll lose to a couple of teams that you should have won, but they're also pretty good, not as good as you, but they got you. That's the nice place to be in. But we haven't been there in a long time. So I'm actually finding some excitement knowing, like, hey, we may be in for a nail bider, right, Like I'm not happy that they nearly lost to EKU and UTEP, but you know what they did and they won. So just kind of knowing that the room for air not very big and there's not much of it, it kind of gives me an added layer of like excitement. Now, if we end up kind of having nail biers against bad teams, you know, consistently moving forward, then that's a different conversation. But also, to be fair, that's not that uncommon overall, and it's certainly not that uncommon in the New world here with Portland the n I L.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about small part sometimes?
Speaker 5: How do you feel about the coaching matchup in this one, Pat Kelsey against Brad Brown? How are you are you a big big are you a big Brad Brown?
Speaker 3: L guy?
Speaker 2: So I'll tell you a story about mister Brad brown Well because he's been at Clean Now for for a long time. And to me, he's got a very plain brand, right, like he's not too I mean he to me, he looks like the small town insurance guy that like Scott billboards up when you enter city limits you call him. He's you know, that's what he That's kind of the vibe he gives me. Kind of a family man, you know, he took over his dad's business selling insurance for farm bureau. Like that's that's the brand of Brad brown Well. And I've never had much thought of him, and I've actually never thought he was that good of a coach. But Chris Mack, who I was close with, still talk to him occasionally. But you know, I got to know that Chris Mack and Brad burun Well were good buddies. And I remember thinking, like that doesn't seem like somebody that I would ever think Chris would like or like, you know, be buddies with. Just didn't get the same vibe from from the two. And to be honest with you, Mac, didn't you know, he's not going out of his way to like make friends. I mean, that was one of the things that, Yeah, one of those things that stood out to me about Mac during his time here is that, you know when he and I guess this can be said about a lot of coaches, maybe not just him, but he didn't have a rolodex of like, if a job's open, he's got thirty dudes. He used to work with that like he knows and that like he you know, when he didn't have replacements that were good enough for Dino and Luke, it went south, right, it didn't work out. So it's one of the reasons why things didn't work out that you know, that whole scenario. So when I heard that he really liked Brad bunnwell, and I was kind of surprised by it, and he was like, no, he's a great guy, like and he and he can coach. He trusts me, he can coach. He's got great you know, half court sets, this and that. So after hearing that one, I'm like, well, the guy must not be terrible, because you know, Mack likes him. He must not be a nerd. And then I remember watching and since then he's been pretty good. Like he said, his best year is at Clemson in the last few years. He also did lose to Kenny Payne though a couple of years ago, and that's where i'd look for him. But like, I actually think he is a pretty solid coach, so I respect him more than I did years ago. I think taking Clemson to the to an Elite eight is absolutely something worth a ton of praise. Even though it took a long time for him to finally break through this year. You know, if they make the tournament, I still think that shows that he's actually, you know, he's kind of found his rhythm there to where they're better than they've ever been in his time. Now, I said before the year started, I think they're going to fall off and not make the tournament, and maybe that ends up happening. So I actually think you're gonna have it a you know, not to say that we got to be worried about John Wooden over there on the sidelines tomorrow, but I actually think he's a pretty good coach to where he will understand what Louisville wants to do and he'll have a plan to kind of take that away. They'll pick their spots when they want to run, and Louisville will once again have to play a team that is more wanting to slow things down. I mean, let's be real, Kentucky played Clemson and lost, and yes that game was a Clemson but the Clemson game plan for Kentucky, and trust me, I know this is going to make some ears perk up for Kentucky fans. I'm not doing this. Kentucky's clearly a better team than Louisll this year. But when it comes to what you try to probably take away from your opponent every night, right, it's what they want to do. Hm Clempson is going to do the same thing they did to Louisville that they did to Kentucky, just understanding, Hey, they want to play fast, We're going to make them beat us possession for possession, grind it out in the half court, get fiscal with them. And I think Louisville has really gotten better in that area. In slower games. They clearly want to run, they want to get out in transition, they want to get rhythm threes when you got a four man that can take it from the break and hit rain Smith in the corner like they want to do that. But Clemson, I believe will We'll do a good job of slowing it down. To be honest with you, Virginia did that too. Louisville just beat him at their game. Louisville was able to in the half court get it done, and they were able to kind of find some opportunities here and there to get the game sped up a little bit. So I think you'll see a similar I don't want to call Clemson Virginia, but they're gonna try to slow it down, and I think louisll has slowly but surely gotten better in those kind of games. Now, you know, doing it against doing it against Tennessee and Old Miss is a little bit different than doing it against Clemson because I don't think Clemson's to that caliber. But I think what makes this matchup intriguing and exciting for me is because I do think we will see a good This will be a good opportunity to see if Louisville really has Even though Clemson is not Tennessee or Ole Miss. This is a good chance to see if this team has gotten better against teams that want to do that to you, and if they can do it effectively against Kentucky and beat them. Certainly Louisville has to take them serious, even though this one is a home game. So yeah, I think we'll see. You know, I'd be shocked if it's a blowout one way or the other. But I think kN Palm here in the spread are pretty close to where this thing will end, either in Louisville's favor or in Clemson's favor. So when it comes to the let's see here, Clemson offensively, they are thirty seventh in the Ken Palm nationally. When it comes to offensive efficiency, they are thirty third in defense. So they're pretty sound in both spots. But what I'm trying to find here, and I'm nerding out in a major way on some basketball analytics that I'm sure a lot of people don't really care about. But what I'm trying to figure out is how fast do they play? Like how you know when it comes to possessions? Yeah, let's see. Well, now I can't seem to find it on the team page here, And again it's not it's just it's one of those things that for me, I know none of you really probably care, but like now I went looking for it, I can't find it, and I'm sure it's right in front of my face, and I just you know am struggling. Let's see here. Yeah, so average here we go average possession length. So they Louison on defense, their average defensive possession as far as time is nineteen point three seconds. So on defense they have effectively slowed teams down. If you're if you're using twenty seconds on average of the shot clock, that may sound quick, but I'm telling you it's a lot longer than you think when it comes to to possession. That's what I told her too. She thinks twenty seconds is quick. I'm like, honey, no, you got to understand I was on a shot clock here trying to beat the buzzer thirl. I mean, do you realize we're in battle here? Anyways, they play they play slow, they want to play slow, whereas Louisville they want to play fast. And I think early early on. One of the things that I mentioned when it comes to you know, something that I was just eager to see Pat Kelsey kind of work through as he goes from the level of Winthrop and Charleston to Louisville, is that, yes, when you get out there, you're going to have teams that are able to take you like that are able to dictate pace to where you can't run like you want to run, and you got to be able to do some things in the half court. And again, they probably still would have a tough time doing that against Tennessee, Old Miss Kentucky Duke, those kind of teams, but they've clearly gotten better at it when it comes to figuring out what works for them. They've got a formula where they've got some different guys that I mean, they're getting good balance scoring right now, and they'll certainly need it tomorrow against this Clemson team. All Right, we got to take a quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Don't go anywhere. It's Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Coffee and Company with Nick Coffee on Sports Talk seven to nine.
Speaker 2: Dy final segment here on a on a snow day. I mean, it's a snowday for a lot of people, So I feel like it's it's accurate to say that. I know we're here, we're working, so we weren't closed. But man, today was one of those days where I felt I felt bad. Not only did I just have my well, never mind, I was gonna say something, and I don't have enough time to give contact. But if you've got you back and listen to what I did to Austin during one of the commercial breaks earlier, I already feel bad for that, but also like I didn't have to leave, yeah the butt stuff. I didn't have to leave the house and you had to you know, make the trip then get out there and the and so here I am saying I'm working, but all I did was come to my basement and turn on some equipment. So uh, I kind of you know, for for people who you know did have to get out and actually go to work, like Austin and others that you know, their their job, doesn't care if we got a foot of snow. They got to be there.
Speaker 3: They're important.
Speaker 2: What they do is is very important to wear. There's just different different stands, you know, different exceptions when it comes to like what who you know, a lot of people just can't work from home also, so you know it it still feels like a snow day, and it's the first time we've had a winter storm around here where I feel like more often than you know, collectively speaking, the majority of us have maybe not been like at a disadvantage from this, but like you, you kind of feel like, yeah, I'm gonna stay in because the roads aren't good. I can't even get to where I'm going to go. It's freezing cold outside. I mean, even if you like, I think we played in the snow yesterday for a while. Kids loved it. It was freezing outside, but it was fun.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: They they were probably really cold, but they're just have you know, that's the most know that they've probably ever seen in their life. I know it is for my son. I imagine it's probably the most to know my daughter has seen as well. So they weren't as they were distracted by awsome. It wasn't not feeling how cold it actually was out there. But once we got done with that, I've been inside, snuggled up and just kind of, you know, chilling, kind of staying cozy because I think that's what you do on a snow day.
Speaker 3: And so throw them back outside too till the end of the show too.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, because we had to do the show and they you know, the kids obviously are great. I love them, love being a dad, well stir crazy awesome. But you know, I'm not the only parent that thinks, Okay, how long are we going to be stuck inside with our kids?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: How long do I have to keep them before I can give them back to daycare? School for like a break for my mental state? Like, I know I'm not alone here I say. I feel bad as I say it, but I know there's many of you listening that totally get what I'm saying. So what I did. I just I threw them outside of the snow. Hopefully they're doing okay out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah they should be.
Speaker 2: Look, I had work to do.
Speaker 3: I had work to do. What do you guys do? They should be fine? They have an imagination?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no daycare, no school.
Speaker 3: I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they'll be fine.
Speaker 5: And that's why parents, I think, get mad now just because you always hear the well I used to trudge through seven feet of snow to get to school in my day. They didn't cancel school because of this. I think those those are more outright that. Yeah, we're annoyed by the kids being here. What are the schools still being shut down for? Get them off our hands?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will say this. Maybe this is me kind of turning into the younger version of what will eventually be the boomer because I I know that there's an exaggeration about the walking up hill ten miles both ways, no matter what was going on, mother nature herself, she showed up. And you know, like they clearly exaggerate, but I think it's also true, like there was a different level of like what's going to get you out of worker school back then because it happens now. Yeah, And I remember acknowledging this one time and then realizing, Okay, I need to shut up because I'm now if I keep running with that, I'm going to be the guy that I used to be kind of critical of. So this is kind of like an apology to the boomers that would talk about their day whenever things were different, because you know, I'm like, well, okay, why do you care? Like why does it bother you? Because there is one thing that I don't understand because my comments about let me get what I'm getting to and then I'll revert back here because I know that there was never a day where I didn't have to go to school or people didn't have to go to work because it was cold outside because it was windy, And now it's kind of a thing, and you know what I don't know why I care doesn't impact me if they now feel like, hey, technology is advanced enough and this can keep people safe from freezing to death of the bus stop or blowing away at the bus stop, Like, hey, who cares? Because I remember thinking like, wait a second, they're out of school for wind. Wait a second, they're out of school because it's cold. And that never was a thing when I was younger, but things were different. Now we have the ability to where if the conditions are that bad, they can do school from home. And I know everybody hates it. So it's one thing for everybody to, you know, to be bothered by it because they've got kids or it inconveniences them. And anytime you give the kids a day off with a day or two notice because of weather, they don't have the ability to get a sitter. They got to pay out a pocket for it. Maybe they've got to take their PTO or their vacation days because that's what they have to do for work. So like those people, I get the frustration because I do see how it can impact you. It's impacted me at times. But what I don't understand, and I've never understood this those who are angry so much so that they just want to yap about it on Facebook and somebody's comments or something. There are people that do not have children in the school system, They don't have relatives that are teachers, they have no involvement with the public school system in any way does not impact them at all, and they're upset when kids get out of school for a little bit of snuff. Like That's what I'm fascinated about, things I can't relate to. That's the one that has always stood out to me. You know, I'm not gonna name any names, but like Austin, I'm sure you've seen people like that that just are all the time upset. You kid me, they let these soft kids out of school this generation?
Speaker 3: Why are there?
Speaker 2: Why is there no school today? This is just a dusting like what I can't quite grasp that I'll never understand. But I have this endless, you know, fascination with it to where I want to understand why do you care if it doesn't relate to you at all, Like if you didn't turn on the news or pop open social media, you wouldn't even know that the kids are in school or out of school. But when you do see that. It's clearly becoming something that is mentioned quite a bit in the news, because you know, that's what local news stations do in their market. They let people know when the school system that is there is not going to have school, and it just burns up people who it doesn't factor in at all. Like I've never understood that either is it maybe is it thirty year old jealousy that forty year old jealousy probably because they had to go to school. That Yeah, Like that's the only thing I could think of that would make that make any sense, because again, if it doesn't relate to you, like, I don't know why you would care at all. Like in fact, I remember before I had kids noticing that and I'm like, hey, this is when I was on in the mornings. Oh, I love this. When there's no school, there's much less traffic out there's there's no buses, like you know, I looked at it as a convenient thing, and yet it just would burn people up. I never and still to this day, do not do not understand.
Speaker 5: When I was still living at home and my brother and sister are a little bit younger than me, so when I still love that's different and then I'd be like, really, do they have to stay home day?
Speaker 2: Oh that's different. That's on your home field. Yeah, they're in your turf. Yeah, that's your turf. And now they're pik they're robbing, they're robbing vacation days. And yet you had to you had to go to school in those days and you had to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think when it's that directly, especially at your siblings, like that's different because they're probably in your face about it.
Speaker 3: Ha ha.
Speaker 2: You got to go to work. Now that you're an adult, you got to go to school, You got to go to class. But no, we we we get a snow day. No I would I would be bothered by that as well. But I'm looking here, and I'm sure nobody's listening to the show to hear which schools are canceled. But j CPS is in fact closed both tomorrow and Wednesday. A bullet closed tomorrow, looks like Spencer is closed tomorrow. Hardin County schools they are close tomorrow. And I think I haven't looked at the Southern Indiana stuff here. I'm just scrollling through this long list. But looking how long the list is, I would say just about everybody is in fact, out of school tomorrow, so enjoy it. Another snow day, and we'll be back at it tomorrow for a game day edition. Big game against Clemson. We'll talk a lot about that tomorrow. Have some fun, be safe, everybody, stay warm, have a good night.