Speaker 1: You know, we really live in a world that's full of competing beliefs and values and choices, and what you believe shapes how you live and ultimately who you become. But the good news is God hasn't left us to figure it all out alone.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: In fact, today, on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, we're going to continue our series Reframing Your Worldview, where Rick Warren unpacks powerful truths from God's Word to help you see life clearly and live it with confidence and purpose. So let's jump right in for part two of a message called how do I Know What's True?
Speaker 3: Here's Rick immorality, immaturity, here's another one.
Speaker 2: Unreality.
Speaker 3: Unreality is when people stop believing in truth, they'll believe anything.
Speaker 2: They'll believe things that are unreal.
Speaker 3: They become very and they put their faith in all kinds of things except God. I know people who are more committed to trusting crystals to get well than God.
Speaker 2: And it's just a rock. It's a rock.
Speaker 3: But when you give up the idea that there is absolute truth, then you start believing anything. I know people who will believe in tarot cards before God, or tea leaves before God, or astrology, before God or palm reading before God.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'll believe.
Speaker 3: Anything except God. And we fall into this world of unreality and we, you know, we accept things that aren't true. And today there's this blurring of truth and we find.
Speaker 2: It in the media.
Speaker 3: We find it in what we call docu dramas, and what that is is fiction disguised as nonfiction docu drama. And we have people who write, you know, biographies and then just make up stuff. You know, we all know that happened. Just there was this big flap over James Fry who wrote a book A Million Little Pieces, became the number one best seller in America for about three weeks, and it was this biography of all these things that supposedly.
Speaker 2: Happened to him.
Speaker 3: And then they found out that he just made it all up. It wasn't true, and everybody got upset that this guy would would write.
Speaker 2: Truth, write fiction and claim that it was true.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm going, well, why isn't anybody upset about da Vinci Code?
Speaker 2: Because in the Da Vinci.
Speaker 3: Code, the very first thing on the first page he says, now, this is a novel, but it's based on all these true facts, and every one of them has been trueven false. I saw a big two hour documentary on the Discovery Channel, and when nobody's upset about that the da Vinci Code. Why, Because it's okay to lie about Jesus, It's okay to lie about the Catholic Church. It's okay to lie about Mary Mangalene because that's politically acceptable. I don't know if you've noticed this or not, but even the reality shows are getting more unreal.
Speaker 2: Have you figured that one out?
Speaker 3: I mean, but it's amazing to us how much we worship on reality when we let go of truth. Now, I don't want to put down actors. I mean, I've got friends who are actors in Hollywood. It's a it's a good profession, and you need people who are actors to do you know, fantasy and to do drama. And I mean, it's a good profession. But they're certainly not heroes their entire life. They make a living faking it. Think about this. They're not actually making the world a better place like school teachers or you know, uh, you know, parents, paramedics or or doctors, are you know, police or soldiers? Why are we making heroes out of people whose whole goal in life is to create illusions.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's not.
Speaker 3: A valid profession it is. I'm just saying they're certainly not heroes. People jump on goofy beliefs.
Speaker 2: On the bandwagon.
Speaker 3: The Bible says this in Second Thessalonians two twelve. Since they refuse to trust truth, they're banished to their chosen world of lies and illusion. We believe illusions and lies all the time. We believe the illusion that having more will make me more happy, or having more will make me more secure, or having more will make me more valuable.
Speaker 2: But those are all illusions. They're just not true.
Speaker 3: And when you give up the truth, you tend to start buying into illusions. Now, let's get personal in your own life. Here's a question to ask yourself. Where am I faking it? Where am I faking it? Where am I pretending to be something that I not really am? You need to know that because when you're in those areas that you're faking it, you're not exactly what you appear to be.
Speaker 2: That's called truth decay.
Speaker 3: And it's gonna rot your heart, just like tooth decay rots your teeth. When you're not being truthful on reality, immorality, immaturity. Here's a fourth area of truth decay illegality, illegality. What I mean by that, I'm saying, if there's no standard or right or wrong, then everything can be considered legal, because all law is built on an idea that there are things that are right and there are things that are wrong. If there is no right or wrong, if there is no truth, there are no laws. And if there's nothing legal, nothing illegal, then you can go around and talk to you know, arguing about what the.
Speaker 2: Meaning of is is.
Speaker 3: And it doesn't matter if you murdered somebody because you can get off on a technicality. When murderers go free because of technicalities in a culture that's called truth decay, doesn't matter what the truth is. What matters is the technicality.
Speaker 2: That's truth decay.
Speaker 3: See nobody at INRON or TYCHO or MCI or any of those mammoth organizations that that you know collapsed after the bubble. None of them started out by saying, let's figure out a way to rip off five hundred billion dollars of investors' money. Nobody woke up one morning and said it, Inron, let's just think up the big lie that'll steal a ton of money, waste it, and then we'll go bankrupt.
Speaker 2: No, how did it start.
Speaker 3: All of those scandals inron tychon, et cetera started when they started cheating at the edges in little ways. They started telling what we call white lies, as if lies have color. A lie is a lie, is a lie is a lie is a lie, and it's false and it's never going to be true no matter how you color it.
Speaker 2: A lie is a lie.
Speaker 3: And when truth goes out the window and there's no standard of right or wrong, then you go after anything anything, It becomes legal. I don't know if you saw about this guy, Nathan, who was just sentenced in Maryland to seven and a half years in prison for defrauding and stealing money out of the state pension plan.
Speaker 2: And they caught him and put him.
Speaker 3: In prison for seven and a half years this week thanks to Here's who he had to thank for his next seven and a half years in prison.
Speaker 2: His three former mistresses. They were getting even.
Speaker 3: And I wrote this down, this quote from the US prosecutor. He said this, when we look for white collar criminals, we know that if their life is a lie, then it's not confined just to their personal life. If they're lying to their wives, there's a huge but they're also lying to their colleagues, their board of directors, and the auditors.
Speaker 2: You see, some of you.
Speaker 3: Are falling for what I call the Titanic myth. The Titanic myth was that if we compartmentalized.
Speaker 2: The stuff, we can't sink.
Speaker 3: Until the Titanic came along. Ships had one giant hull, and if it got breached, the whole hall would fill up with the water.
Speaker 2: And the thing would sink.
Speaker 3: And so the Titanic was called unsinkable because they compartmentalized the hall. This has never been done before, and so the theory was, we can take on a little bit water in our ship and still not sink because we'll compartmentalize the hall, and therefore some of it could be breached and it can actually fill up with the water, but it won't.
Speaker 2: Sink the whole ship. And they were wrong.
Speaker 3: If you were compartmentalizing your life, you're in for a disaster eventually of Titanic proportions. And if you say, well, I got this little thing fling going on over here, but I got it compartmentalized, or I got this little thing over here at work. That's I know it's wrong, but I got it compartmentalized. And it's not that a sink my ship or my family or my reputation. And I got this thing over here, but it's compartmentalized. As your pastor who loves you and cares for you as a friend, get out of that as quickly as possible.
Speaker 2: Please, I'm telling you, for your own.
Speaker 3: Good, get out of it as quickly as possible. Why Because when you compartmentalize your life, there's a word for that. It's called a lack of integrity. The word integrity comes from the word integer. Remember from math class. That means one. It's one digit and integer, it's oneness. And integrity means your entire life is integrated, not compartmentalized. You cannot have integrity if you're life it is compartmentalized. Well, this is my sex life, this is my family life, this is my work life, this is my church life, here's my pornography life.
Speaker 2: And here no, no, if.
Speaker 3: You got it all, you got it all compartmentalized. You do you lack integrity? Integrity is what you see is what you get your authentic it's one big stew and you act towards your kids the way you act towards your your friends, and you don't act different at parties, and you don't act different at church.
Speaker 2: You are the same youth.
Speaker 3: You're not wearing a mask, you're not a hypocrite, you're not a fake or a phony. You're the same with everybody. That's integrity. And when truth happens to decay in my life and I start trying to close it off with well, that'll we'll just make that a little segment over there, and that may get take on water. But it's okay. You're in trouble. The Bible says in Proverbs twenty nine to eighteen, when there is ignorance of God, crime runs wild. It's interesting to me that in nineteen eighty they outlawed putting the Ten Commandments in school rooms, which were standards of moral truth accepted by Jews, Muslims, Christians, and even people who aren't Christians are religious innoight. But they took the Ten Commandments out of classrooms, off the wall, and since that time, violence against teachers, violence in schools, Columbine, Oregon, Kentucky, all those things have happened since then. Of course, there's no connection at all between that. When truth is given a sideline and there are no absolutes, than anything becomes possible. And it says there. Look, it says truth decay. When there is ignorance of God, crime runs wild. Truth decay has not stopped. Eventually, anarchy happens. And friends, I've been in plenty of countries around the world that I could give you examples of that one. Well, let's get it back to you personally. Ask yourself this question, write it down. Am I cheating in the edges? Am I cheating on the edges?
Speaker 2: None?
Speaker 3: In the big areas of life? But just you're telling the little quote white lies. You're not being fully.
Speaker 2: Up up to snuff.
Speaker 3: That's illegality. Here's a fifth one, idolatry. Idolatry is a symptom in a culture of truth decay.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that? We idolize the wrong things.
Speaker 3: And when I don't know right from wrong, when I don't know the truth, then my priorities and my values and the things I worship get all out of whack, They get really messed up. And I idolize things like wealth, or I idolize success, or I idolize physical beauty, or I idolize athletic ability, or I idolize intelligence, or I idolize popularity, or I idolize cars and homes, I idolize the way your house is redecorated, or I idolize any number of different things which may not be wrong in themselves, but they don't deserve worship, They don't deserve to be top, to be number one goal in your life.
Speaker 2: And today, because.
Speaker 3: Truth the kay is taking place in our culture, we're actually flip flopping values and wrong things are now becoming right and right things are becoming wrong, and good is bad and bad is good, and black is white and white is black, and it's all messed up. We're just seeing this reversal. I mean, today, we turn criminals into celebrities and then we give them multimillion dollar book contracts and make a millionaires.
Speaker 2: And the worst crime you do, the more money you can make off of it.
Speaker 3: That's out a whack, you know. We you know, we kill unborn human beings. Forty four million Americans aren't here that would have been here because of abortion. So we kill unborn humans while protecting parasites and insects. What's the logic of that one or TV constantly mocks and ridicules marriage constantly mocks and ridicules it.
Speaker 2: So how is this working.
Speaker 3: It's all reversed and people are willing to worship anything except God. The Bible says this in Romans one twenty five. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe wise, they worshiped the things. That's called materialism. They worshiped the things God made, but not the Creator himself. Here's the question for you personally, what have I been idolizing? What have I been idolizing? What has become a little bit too important for me? It's not wrong, but it's just all of a sudden, it's up there at the top of my life, like that's the number one goal of life. And I've been idolizing the wrong thing. I've been worshiping the wrong thing. One more and I'll just cover this quickly. Injustice is a sign of truth decay, because when there's no standard of right and wrong, no truth and no falsehood, you can get away with anything. And the Bible says in Isaiah fifty nine, our courts supposed people who are righteous. Justice is nowhere to be found. Truth falls dead in the streets, and fairness has been outlawed. Now, if that's the damage of truth decay in our society, in our businesses, in our families, in our lives, what's the solution we have to reverse the tide? And how do we reverse the tide? Not through politics, not through legislation.
Speaker 2: But by being people of the truth.
Speaker 3: The Bible calls it being salt and light, being people who stand for truth in a relati modern.
Speaker 2: Anything goes society.
Speaker 3: Now that brings up the question, then, how do I know what the truth is?
Speaker 2: Is there a way to know the truth? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yes, there are at least five ways that you can know the difference between what's true and what's untrue, what's real and what's unreal. And we're gonna talk about that, but it starts with an attitude of openness. An openness it says, I want the truth more than anything else. I want the truth even if it's uncomfortable. Remember that phrase, you can't handle the truth. I want the truth even if it's uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: That is an openness. I'm amazed, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I've been this last year speaking in a lot of different secular type groups a lot of intelligent people, smart people, And I'm amazed at how many people think they are open.
Speaker 2: Minded, but really aren't. They really aren't.
Speaker 3: What actually happens is if you're intelligent, the more intelligent you are, the more you tend to be secretly proud of your intelligence, and you go, I'm smart, I'm really smart.
Speaker 2: I'm really, really, really smart. And that's called arrogance.
Speaker 3: And when you get arrogant about your smartness, your intelligence, you actually start closing your mind down. And I meet people all the time who are They think they're open minded, you start talking about God, they freeze up. They are closed to even the possibility of it. They're closed to that possibility, not even open to it. Jesus said this, look up here on the screen John seven point seventeen. He said, if anyone chooses to do God's will, he will find out whether or.
Speaker 2: Not my teaching comes from God.
Speaker 3: He said, Okay, you want to know if I'm telling the truth or not. He said, you must have an attitude of openness. And you say, God, if there is a God, I want to know you. It's not closing myself to that possibility, saying if there is a God, I want to know you, Jesus. If he's telling the truth, I want to know the truth. It may be difficult for me to hear, but if it's true, I want to know it. I am opening myself up. That's the required attitude, because you can't share truth with a closed mind. I remember I did this about thirty five years ago. I got down on my knees. I was up in the mountains at a camp, nobody in the room, and I prayed a simple prayer like this. I said, God, if there is a God, I'm open. If you exist, if you're real, I want to know you're real. And Jesus Christ, if you can change my life, you can give me a better life. If there is a purpose my life, I want to know it. And so God, if you're real, I want you to make yourself real to me.
Speaker 2: You know what happened? Nothing?
Speaker 3: Nothing, I mean, no no bright light shone down, no angels came in the room. And I didn't hear the Hallelujah chorus. You know my hair didn't turn white like Charles you know Heston's or you know you know, nothing happened.
Speaker 2: I didn't get a quiver in my liver. No goosebumps.
Speaker 3: I didn't get emotional, I didn't cry nothing.
Speaker 2: It was just okay. That was the turning point in my life.
Speaker 3: Why Because finally I was open to the possibility and I was no longer biasing myself against God, and I said, God, I want to know the truth, even if it's inconvenient. And that was the turning point in my life because it had nothing to do with emotions. It was a simple, logical, rational decision. If there is a God, I don't want to miss out on it, and if he has a plan for my life, I certainly don't want to miss that.
Speaker 1: You know, people are being transformed by these messages. In fact, here's Rick with a letter from one of our listeners.
Speaker 3: You know, no matter how bad things seem, you can always trust that God is active in your life, working things out for the good. While you are waiting, God is working. God always has your best interest at heart. He's a good God. Today, I want to give you the example from a note that I got from a young man named Tyler, who has seen how God is always there even when circumstances seem to be their worst. Tyler wrote me said, you know, Rick, I haven't had a close relationship with Christ. But then several events occurred in my life all at once. First my girlfriend broke up with me, and that was the biggest heartache that I could imagine for both of us. Then my friends left for college the same week, and third, my dad left for California to start.
Speaker 2: A new job, leaving me in.
Speaker 3: All of this hit me at once, and I was a complete mess. But with guidance from others and realizing this was a scheduled appointment from God himself, I found Christ through your Daily Hope podcast and through prayer and in going to church I finally found the joy in my life again.
Speaker 2: And I'm a changed person.
Speaker 3: Every day now, I listen to you, Rick, and I read my daily devotional, and I look at life with a whole new perspective. You know, before I was living for me, I wasn't living for God. But this journey has been so amazing. God is so good and the best part is that I can wake up every day knowing that He loves me and will listen to me, and that Jesus Christ will take my worries from me. I'm so thankful, Rick, that God woke me up and changed me into a better and healthier person that I am today, and I'm thankful for my savior, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: So God bless you you well.
Speaker 3: Thanks Tyler, Thanks for writing that encouraging letter. You have experienced firsthand how much God cares for you, even in the smallest details of your life, and through this what was a very difficult season, he led you to Jesus, the greatest gift you could ever receive.
Speaker 2: So did you know that the.
Speaker 3: Bible says in Luke fifteen, right now, all of Heaven is rejoicing because you're a part of God's family. The Bible says they have a party in heaven every time one person steps across the line. And what that means that you and I are now brothers. Did you know that we're brothers in Christ and your church family are your brothers and sisters here to walk alongside you. So, Tyler, welcome to the Family of God. And as you grow in your faith, staying connected with a strong church community is so so important. I want you to surround yourself with people who will encourage you in the Lord, who will pray for you, who will help you they strong in your journey with Jesus. And just watch and see how God moves in your life as you faithfully follow Him into your future. By the way, you also mentioned that you listen to the Daily Hope podcast. For anybody who hasn't checked that out yet, it is completely free. It's completely available on all major platforms. It's on Apple Podcasts, it's on Spotify, it's on wherever you get your podcasts. You can also listen anytime by just going to a Pastorrick dot com on the internet. Now, friends, we're able to share Daily Hope with people around the world because of your generosity listeners just like you, So let me just stay here. Thanks, Thanks a lot, Thanks for being a part of this community. Thanks for your contributions to care for other people so that they could get the word of God and build the hope that they need. And they can keep seeking God and He will guide them.
Speaker 2: God bless hey.
Speaker 1: Be sure to join us next time when we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastorick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support