Speaker 1: Jennie first one to weather forecast, finally delivering some good news. Although today we do get mid day storms, they said they are very likely the humidity will gradually drop throughout the day and will be humidity free by tomorrow. Today's hi just eighty three sixty five overnight clear skies is sunny, humid free day tomorrow with a high of eighty going to be clear over night sixty one and eighty for the high on Saturday as well, with partly sunny skies sixty five degree or seventy five degrees.
Speaker 2: Right now, let's get an update on traffic Chuck from the.
Speaker 3: UCUT Traffics Center. You see health Weight Bouth Center offers sergical and medical obesity care and expertise. Call five one three nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three septh pound seventy five briery lights continue through the block mun split for an extra five northbound seventy five improving a bit, slows just north of two seventy five into town to lay times under the ten minute mark. Ten bend seventy four slows approaching seventy five Chuck ingram on fifty five kre see the talk.
Speaker 1: Station Hey twenty nine on a Thursday slash Friday eve. It is that time of week. I always look forward to get an update on things aviation and sometimes more with I heard meet the aviation expert Jay Ratliffe, Jay, my friend, welcome back to the morning show. Always a pleasure having you on.
Speaker 4: Hard to believe that July is almost past us. You know, I'm not ready to let go any of this summer. And we turned the page and we're talking August.
Speaker 1: I know I've had like four conversations over the past twenty four hours on that exact topic, like how in the hell is July over?
Speaker 2: This is just lah?
Speaker 5: Oh well, like forth coming up sometime soon, I.
Speaker 1: Know, coming gone anyway, It's out of the list. But I know you can handle this one. I throw your curball every once in a while, which you have no problem with. I was reading it was reading on the update of the collision between the air the airliner and the army helicopter that happened. I guess that was what January which was it seems like yesterday. I know that they try to put some measure of blame on the air traffic controllers. But it's been revealed that apparently the altimeters really aren't up stuff in the black Hawk helicopters, and they might have not even known what altitude that they were flying. I saw an article, I guess on Fox saying the Army acknowledge that Blackhawk helicopter altimeters maybe more than one hundred feet off, before adding that their pilots aim to maintain altitude with one hundred feet of e limit. I guess aiming to and accomplishing it two completely different things. But altimeter issues, But the other thing that almost was more troubling. I know you've got a lot of strong words for the Federal Aviation Administration pro and con, but the FAA didn't make any route changes or provide polets with any warnings despite eighty five near misses in the past three years. These are military flights, and I think I asked you when this first came out, Jay, why in the hell do they have to fly so close to an airport that's got jets flying coming in and out of it.
Speaker 4: Well, you have a lot of people being shuttled to and from the inner workings of Washington. You have a lot of military political people that are being being shuffled back and forth kind of an air taxi.
Speaker 5: Is the best way to look at it.
Speaker 4: And then you've got NonStop training, you've got a bunch of other things that are taking place, and yeah, it just happens to take place right next to a large commercial airport.
Speaker 5: And we've had issues and this has.
Speaker 4: Been on the radar for the FAA for a number of years about how this has become in their words, in my estimation, they looked at it as more of an annoyance than something that was directly related to a safety issue, because again, the air traffic control team in the military have worked well together to make sure that these, you know, near accidents didn't become accidents. And it took something like this for everybody to kind of wake up and say, wait a minute, we've been flirting with this disaster scenario for such a long period of time. It was just something that was pretty much waiting to have. But when it first took place, the first thing that hit all of us was the fact that the aircraft that was descending was at an altitude that should have been well above where that helicopter was allowed to be. And knowing that it was higher than that suggests that okay, either the crew made a mistake and ignored some of the or misinterpreted the air traffic control communication, or there could have been something mechanical going on with their aircraft. And when we hear the altimeters are not completely reliable as we would like to and I'm thinking, how in the heck is that possible to the military aircraft where you would want everything to be you took for the crew standpoint absolutely perfect.
Speaker 5: It makes you think, why what? And you know, that's the first time.
Speaker 4: That I had heard of the fact that the equipment on board that type of a helicopter is less than one hundred percent reliable, and that means that some of this stuff is subjective.
Speaker 5: Left up to the crew to do your best.
Speaker 4: And to me, that is just that's not aviation, that's the old days of crop dusting. We're talking about the state of the art technology that these men and women should be able to have and the fact that they didn't. Now whether or not that did or did not contribute to the to the crash, we don't know, but it's obvious that most flight crews would not have been that far.
Speaker 5: Out of position.
Speaker 4: The regional jet was where it was supposed to be. The helicopter was not, and sadly that's what led to the to the disaster.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, I really don't care about the time commitments of the people being shuttled back and forth just to have the flight to go in front of a runway.
Speaker 5: It sounds I feel more important if they shuttle me like that.
Speaker 4: I feel you know, yeah, yeah, I'm thousand percent behind his usual brother.
Speaker 1: All right, rather than go over, let's go take an earlier break, and then we're going to address the pack of passenger of evacuation from an aircraft for the tires, a change which can dovetail into the congress or congress manales calling for revised safety evacuation assessment that a whole lot more. With Jay rattlife would be right back, don't go.
Speaker 2: Away fifty five KRC the paths.
Speaker 1: I heard me theaight ah expert Jay Ratlett, every Thursday at this time, moving over Dovetailer with another issue you brought up, Congressman apparently calling for revised safety evacuation assessment, citing previous studies which apparently were flawed. You can explain that, but we also have a passenger evacuation. I saw the video from this one. Be careful when you're sliding down the slide. But the tires had caught fire. Can you marry these two subjects? Are they completely different?
Speaker 5: Jay?
Speaker 4: Well, they dubtail, they do. I think it's not a stretch. But we had the American Airlines flight that was in the process of taking off. Of course, we have the incredible hot summer temperatures, those tire overheated blue caught on fire. The takeoff is is canceled and the smoke from the fire on of the tire starts to seep into the cabin area, and the captain calls for an immediate evacuation. So they have the evacuation process where the flight attendants are screaming, leave your hand, carry bags behind, get off the airplane. Now, remember ninety seconds is what we should be looking at, getting everybody off that aircraft. Well, everybody's going down the chute. And then, of course afterwards you see the video of people strolling across the tarmac with what bags are wheels behind us? Now wait a minute, that would suggest that these idiots stopped and collected their large overhead compartment luggage and slowed the evacuation process. Now, Brian, if it were me the FAA, I would say, I'm finding every one of these people one hundred thousand dollars fifty. I would find them to the point that it smacked them up side the head with one of these things. Because it was back in twenty sixteen, American Airlines had a aircraft in Chicago on fire. It took four and a half minute or so to get everybody off the airplane. No nobody was injured or nobody died, there were some minor injuries. The National Transportation Safetyboard, in their usual incredible all star effort a year later, came out with their final report. One of the things they cited, this is in twenty seventeen, was that passengers need to be held accountable if they slowed the evacuation process, because that's what delayed that flight and everybody getting off not ninety seconds but four and a half minutes. So the thought back then, the recommendation seven years ago, was let's do something about this. We've not twenty nineteen, Aeroflot aircraft gets hit by lightning, they land, the aircraft's on fire, the whole back of the airplane's on fire. They can only evacuate out the front. The video shows people coming down the exit ramps one after the other, after the other, after the other, and then it stops for like eight seconds, and then you see this idiot with three large bags taking his big butt off the airplane. Moments later, the airplane blows up. Forty one people die. Do you think that that guy caused the death of people behind him? Absolutely so, Brian. This is such a huge issue that we're just not addressing. And that's one of the reasons when I see that, the fact that people have completely ignored the instructions of a uniform crew member, which is a felony, by the way, not being held accountable, it really bothers me. So that's what happened in Denver. But the Congressman is not necessarily addressing that. He says, Look, we have a ninety second evacuation rule in aviation, and he's saying that you know, as you and I know, that every aircraft approved for commercial use has to demonstrate that that plane can be evacuated safely in ninety seconds or less when half of the exits are blocked in limited visibility. Now, to make sure this is the case, the FAA does a test every few years to make sure that we're still in compliance. So they took a group of pe people, ran the test, stamped it has approved. This was about five years ago, this congressman thing time I hear there were no children used in this test. There were no unaccompanied children, there were no children traveling with fly passengers or their families. We had no elderly passengers, we had no service animals. We had people of average size.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was just going, did they do a study thing that included morbidly obese folks?
Speaker 5: They did not. They did not.
Speaker 4: So the thought is that this isn't an accurate assessment, and he's calling for a do over. Now I appreciate the congressman's efforts here, but Brian, I so want these efforts to be directed towards today's problem of I don't care if we have a ninety second achievement and it's right or not. It's the fact that we have these people that are defined year after year after year after year.
Speaker 5: The the rule of leaving your large bags.
Speaker 4: Look, if it's winter you need to pop the top, grab your coat and run. I totally get it. But to drag a bag out and slow down. The process is to me unforgivable. And what's going to happen is, sadly, eventually you and I are going to have the very sad conversation where something.
Speaker 5: Happens, people die, And.
Speaker 4: That's when these same people who are doing nothing now are going to pull that hamstring running to the nearest microphone so they can proclaim how they care and how they're going to make sure this doesn't happen again, and all the other craft that's going to come out of their mouth. Now's the time to do something about it. And with these liftium batteries that continue to overheat on a flight at least once a week, these emergency evacuations are only going to increase in frequency. So if there's never been a more critical time for this discussion than now, I don't know what is and we've got to do something about it.
Speaker 1: Well, you started off on your rent and a well worthy, a worthy rent, I might interject, Sock is saying, you know, if it was, you'd find them one hundred thousand dollars. Something that would make it stick, something will wake people the hell up that they shouldn't be slowing things down in an emergency situation. Is there currently any law on the book. Now you mentioned you have to obey the orders of the flight attendant. I'm sure the flight attendant said some of the effects, we're going to emergency evacuate, leave your stuff where it is.
Speaker 4: Is that and constantly say it over and over and over again. Certainly eighty times they say that as passengers are evacuating.
Speaker 1: So you haven't a scene the other day from this tire fire where you said people were getting off the slide and had their bags with them right there. You have great illustrations, they're on video. You know who the passenger list is. You can find the folks, find them.
Speaker 5: They don't.
Speaker 4: They don't, And that's that's one of the issues you. Of course, it might be, well we may not get everybody. Well, I don't care if you see forty eight people out of two hundred that are out there with a large back This as a backpack that they pulled out from the.
Speaker 5: Sea before him.
Speaker 4: Totally understand. You can hold out to your chest and go. But when you're talking, but these great big things that just slow things down. But of course you get into that legal murky waters of.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is subjective.
Speaker 4: Is my large hand carried roller bag bigger or smaller than your backpack that you had carried down. In other words, is everybody can gain fine, only part of them begin whatever it is, something's got to be done.
Speaker 5: To send a message.
Speaker 1: They'll have to lawyer up and pay a guy four hundred dollars an hour to make that argument on their behalf. That's enough pain to go through just the legal process. Even if the guy's successful and convincing them that it's arbitrary or whatever, at least you force them to some pain as a consequence of them putting everyone's life in jeopardy. Jeez, Louise, Jay, that's such a heart breaker.
Speaker 4: It is a lot of times we I'll have this discussion and somebody emails the me. He says, Jay, couldn't they just lock the overhead compartments to make it impossible? And certainly that is something that could happen, and they could do it. But the problem is that muscle memory being what it is, passengers would forget.
Speaker 5: That they're locked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Precious time trying to unlock the guessing it's stuck. They're going to pound on it, and all that's going to do is slow the evacuation. Muscle memory also comes into play during an emergency evacuation when people reach for their seat belts. We found in emergencies they don't look to lift the flap. They do as they do in a car. In an emergency, they're putting their hand down there to push a button that's not there. And that's one of the reasons the pre mark of the pre flight briefing. The flight attends are reminding everyboy, look, when you're getting out your seatbelt, you lift the flap. Most people are just laughing at that. No, there's a reason for it, because we've had people trapped in their seats because they couldn't get their seat belt off because they're subconsciously just trying to push a button instead of looking down and lifting that flap.
Speaker 1: Okay, I one of the people that last with it. Again, I have never, ever, ever not operated my airline seat latch incorrectly or tried to push down on a button. Sure, Jay Ratt, let's find out about why.
Speaker 4: When the planes on fire though, brother, yeah, and there's people freaking out and you're in that flight or.
Speaker 5: You know, effect light mode, who knows what we're thinking.
Speaker 1: Don't put me through that I don't want to find out what we got. More, we'll find out why a Delta Airline pilot was arrested. Plus we'll get a hub delay update and uh at a joke streker like pay increase rejected by United Flight attendants.
Speaker 4: Be right back with Jay Ratliff fifty five KRC OHC.
Speaker 2: One more. Time for the weather.
Speaker 1: Ten and nine says today not bad, mostly cloudy, and uh midday storms are very likely, but we get a drop in humidity throughout the day. Eighty three for the high sixty five, overnight clear skies, sunny and pleasant eighty degrees.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow overnight low.
Speaker 1: Sixty one with clear skies and a partly Sunday Saturday, and I have eighty again, closing out at seventy seven degrees. Time for final traffic.
Speaker 2: Chuck from the UC Triumphanks Center.
Speaker 3: You see health weight while center offers surgic on medical o bcdkr N expertise called five one three nine nine two two sixty three, and that's nine three nine two sixty three. Wreckcom westbound two seventy five before Kellogg is over on the left shoulder. No delay approaching the bridge southbound seventy five parak flights continued through Lachland. Same for northbound seventy five Futtermilk towards Kyle's Chuck Kingram on fifty five KRC.
Speaker 2: The talk station.
Speaker 1: Coming about seven or eight fifty to fifty five kr CD talk station Frank Thomas. One more segment here with iHeartMedia aviation expert Jay Ratliffe and a Delta Airlines padd got arrested after the flight landed in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: How did what brought this about? Jay?
Speaker 4: This was a Minneapolis to San Francisco flight. Flight lands, pulls to the gate, there's announcement for everybody remained seated, the jet bridge is attached, the door opens in ten. I believe it was law enforcement officers stormed the aircraft and you're thinking, Okay, who are they after? Kid go to the pit and removed the first officer from the plane. Apparently there was an issue with sexual abuse children other types of things.
Speaker 5: Oh one, you know that that he was.
Speaker 4: Being questioned about, So what indn't that taking place? They removed him and out the aircraft. He went in front of everybody. So I don't know why it required that many, but I'm sure that they have a good reason for it, and yep, he was removed from the flight Delta. Obviously, no comment yet because of you know, everything's still being being.
Speaker 5: Worked out, but that was the reason.
Speaker 4: Initially when it happened, we didn't know what the problem was, but later on we were given the details and yeah, that's that's what was going on in that situation.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Well they'll have fun in prison knowing what they do in prison to cho Yeah, yeah, all right. Joe Strecker like pay raise offered United flight attendants twenty six raise. He gets those every year, Jay, apparently not every.
Speaker 4: Quarter, but yeah, flight attendants or United said no, thanks. They had about yeah, they had ninety I think had twenty six twenty eight thousand flight A tens. Forgive me the numbers are going to be approximate.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 4: They have ninety two percent maybe voting, and seventy some percent of them said no.
Speaker 5: They said it wasn't.
Speaker 4: Industry leading enough. And one of the reasons that flight attendants, pilots and others when they have these back and forth negotiations, it's a lot like an NFL contract or a baseball contract. You know you're going to be in it for a number of years. And you want to make sure that you are being paid, you know, adequate to what everybody else is making, and most of these agreements you want to be slightly above the average so that you know you're going to be stuck with us for three four five years, that some of this is going to come into play.
Speaker 5: And the flight attends are saying, look.
Speaker 4: We've helped United become a much better airline over the last several years, and it's their turn to and make up for our past sacrifices.
Speaker 5: So anytime you're getting.
Speaker 4: Into this back and forth with salary, it's it's a difficult scenario. I loved Alaska Airlines and how they approach this with their flight attendants. They gave them at the time an industry leading benefit package and salary, and they said, if there's any agreement after this that comes out that makes this unfair, that's not the word, but you know what I mean, we'll readjust it and we will make it appropriate. So that was great. Other airlines, that's not necessarily the case. But you know, if you're an American flight attendant, you're hoping the United crews get a real nice pay raise because then when you go to the negotiating table. The hope is you're going to get something comparable. So you seventy six percent of them said no, thank you to a twenty six percent pay raise.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, that is amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, as we typically do, let's end the segment on hub delays that folks are going to be flying today.
Speaker 2: What's going looking like out there for them.
Speaker 4: We've had times when I said, oh, the best day of the week to fly.
Speaker 5: This I think is the worst day of the week to fly.
Speaker 4: We've got weather that, unfortunately not only is rolling through our area but up towards the northeast, and it's been hammering Detroit for most of the day, and as the day progresses, some of this is going to impact flights towards the northeast.
Speaker 5: But if you're heading to the.
Speaker 4: Airport and you're connecting through Detroit on Delta, definitely get to the airport early and then Boston is going to get it later in the day, probably New York. So if you're flying to the Northeast, just do not be late. Get to the airport tours before departure. That way, if your itinerary is impacted, you know they've got a chance to take care of you if there's a change to your.
Speaker 1: Itinerary, appreciate the heads up on that. Jay Ratliff, always a distinct pleasure to have you on the program. I thoroughly enjoy our conversations. I'll look forward to next Thursday with another aviation segment, and I wish you in your better half a great weekend. Weekend, you too, my friend. Thank you, Thanks brother. Fifty four to fifty five KROC DE Talk Station. What a distinct pleasure was to have Sarah herring in studio, the widow of Patrick Herringer, who was murdered in their home in Over the Rhine on June fourth, And again reminder, we didn't talk about it. We were trying to steer clear of the details of the murder itself at her request, and of course I understand that, but sort of an exclamation point on what a terrific guy we lost in this horrific crime. He did die saving her life. So I felt the need to point that out since she mentioned it to me off air, and she's just just a terrific woman doing doing what she can right now to bring the problems of crime in the city of Cincinnati to everybody's attention while she has the light to the limelight to do it. Secretary of State Frank Lrose with some good news on election integrity. He spent the day with a whole bunch of Secretary's of state from around the country with Donald Trump on election integrity and sharing the data. Yeah, it would be nice to know if they've got a list of, you know, dead people to share it with us. Apparently a lot of hurdles thrown the way of Secretary of States like Frank Lrose and others from the prior administration. They got it all ironed out to what he had to say on that, and of course my conversation with Jay ralphup it's all a fifty five krc dot com on the podcast page. Thank you Joe Strecker for winding up the guests. I truly appreciate that and all that you do to make the show go, because with that you wouldn't enjoy that twenty six percent pay ratio. I hope everybody knows that that is the absolute farthest thing from the truth. I hope you continue tomorrow Tech Friday with Dave Hatter. Great segment one that you definitely need to listen to to keep you out of trouble. At least he's trying, so we'll do that tomorrow. Have a great day, folks, and don't go away gone backs up next.
Speaker 2: News happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the.
Speaker 5: Hour, you're moving very quickly at fifty.
Speaker 2: Five KRC the talk station. This report is sponsored by Straight