Speaker 1: This is the JB and Sandy Show on Austin's eighties station one oh three point one.
Speaker 2: We're taking a little vacation, so we're off today, but we hope you'll enjoy this from earlier this year. At a certain age you stop doing certain things. For example, I think once you get to be as a dude, when you're about I don't know, late twenties, maybe thirty years old, you stop sharing hotel rooms with dudes.
Speaker 3: You're grown you're grown men.
Speaker 2: You work, you make a paycheck, you get your own room, right.
Speaker 3: I just I will die on that hill.
Speaker 2: I will plant my flag there and say I am not sharing a hotel room with another dude.
Speaker 3: I am a grown man. I'm not doing that anymore. JB.
Speaker 2: Do you have something like that? At a certain age you just don't do anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at a certain age you got to get the mattress off the floor.
Speaker 3: Guys, it's.
Speaker 1: It's time for a big boy bad yeah anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. I was a late bloomer on that one.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 3: I think it was in my early thirties before that happened. Yeah. Yeah, I didn't see.
Speaker 4: The point you had a bed when I started dating you, So you did any time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? What about chicks do this?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Mine? For me was it a certain age. I refused to go anywhere that doesn't have a parking lot. I'm not parking, parallel parking and trying driving around trying to find. Yeah, like one of the big selling points for a restaurant or a place to go for me these days is if I can park right in front of it.
Speaker 3: Jib used to have one about driving a jeep and wearing a hat backwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at a certain age, yeah, you maybe should let that go. Oh man, I think there, I gotta I know there's more. You should probably stop using the term bro all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you can also after thirty. You can do it till you're thirty if you want. This is uh really something for girls. I don't know what age, but girls at a certain age, you've got to stop losing your mind when your friend shows up at the bar.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: The wo Jiggs girls, You've got to stop doing that. That might be the most annoying thing ever I've seen. Forty something year old women just lose their mind when they're you think it's Miss America walking in and it's just some other frumpy girl from Lake Way, you know what I mean, just stop.
Speaker 1: It's you ever have this where the women running to each other in another city and lose their minds?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and you go.
Speaker 6: You guys don't hang out back at home.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, I'm excited to see him here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh girls, guys, I guess kind of do that. I don't know, but the Wu girls yea yeah, girl. A guy equivalent that you should stop doing.
Speaker 1: Something to stop doing, you know, especially by thirty, is stop shotgunning beers.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely by thirty for sure. Something that every woman gets to this age and she's like, yeah, she figures out that considering a new haircut as some sort of life changing monumental moment. It's no longer thinking at a certain age where like would just make my hair to look good?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You mentioned shotgutting beers, jibby. I will add to that. At a certain age, guys, a certain age, you stop doing shots of anything that has to be mixed. You stop with the buttery nipple, you stop stop with the kamakazi.
Speaker 6: Even with tequila. You stop dressing it up.
Speaker 2: Yes, neat, yes, you start me right, you don't need the strip and go naked sex on the beach any type any type of bulldog.
Speaker 3: You don't mean that either. It's just what you said.
Speaker 2: It's on the beach, right, Yeah, No, don't need And guys, you stop drinking them out of test tubes. Yeah stop, yeah, right, no, just drink them the way they come out.
Speaker 3: Of the bottle.
Speaker 4: I feel like at some point, no matter if you're a boy or a girl, at some age you let go of fomo and you're like, I just don't care my couch in my bed. You way better than anything you guys are out doing until one o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 2: At some point you also it's just not really a little off topic, but you you get to a point like I don't want to feel like crap in the morning, I know, I just want to wake up and feel good instead of being hungover or exhausted from our sunburned from the data. Yeah, that's the thing at sunburn, you know, is there anything worse? At some point in your life, you start applying sunscreen, right right, It's like.
Speaker 6: Because the thing, I'll add another layer.
Speaker 1: Waking up and you have the backwards hat tan line sunburn.
Speaker 6: On your forehead head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at some point you stop in life, you stop going to clubs that require some form of stamp on you. I won't go if it's going on there and it's gonna be if you If you're a club that can't afford to buy a two cent wristband, I'm not going in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 4: What age do you think it is? When we stopped sitting on the floor, Oh.
Speaker 2: Can't get up, boy, that was a harsh reality of parenthood when I was I was forty when our daughter was born, and that's when you discover getting up and down off of the ground gets harder and harder. Oh my gosh. So I think we could do this all day long. Yeah, we probably annoyed a few people. Some guy out there is like, damn, I didn't know that about the test tube shots.
Speaker 3: Had one at Chili's last night.
Speaker 2: Chili Trisia says changes coming to a sixth Street are proposed, changes are actually happening. It's a plan that's coming up in the story We love in just a moment real quick, Trisia, I got to give you some kudos to your creepy massage places. One of my friends took your recommendation and went and he's kind of, uh, is there.
Speaker 3: If there's such thing as a massage snob, he's one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, So he went to one of your creepy Tell what a creepy place is?
Speaker 4: We call when my friends and I go, do you want to go get a creepy We're talking about going to get a massage in one of those weird kind of iffy places and a strip center that it just has a neon sign that says foot massage and darked out windows. Yeah, I can't see in when you walk in. It's always real dark. They're creepy places. So we called those kind of massage just creepies.
Speaker 1: But the reason you go is because they're affordable and not like a production right.
Speaker 6: Nice, like a high end salon. Right yeah.
Speaker 2: And the way the wather you go to, they have their licenses hanging on the wall. They're legit. So anyway, you know what I mean some of the licenses.
Speaker 1: I mean, okay, who didn't print out a fake vaccine card?
Speaker 6: True?
Speaker 3: True?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Anyway, he went to the place that you recommended and said it was the best massage.
Speaker 6: She's ever had. I told you that a creepy for half the price.
Speaker 4: Half the price of when you go in to one of the you know the ones you have to have a membership to get into, or in a nice hotel. Incredible massage is half the price.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: He goes, I like a deep tissue massage, but he goes, there was two or three times where I felt like I needed to tell her to lighten up. He's like, he said, I didn't. I suffered and suffered through it, but I got through it anyway.
Speaker 3: So there you go. You have been validated.
Speaker 1: Thank you always if you found any creepies like where they walk on you and stuff this place, this place, and then they like do the what's the wrestling move where you do the elbow bilbo drop?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'll bring your leg up. You'll be slaying on your stomach and they'll take your foot and touch the back here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe choke me out a little bit, like that's the next step.
Speaker 2: The stories we long from the Lestra Hot Studio D one.
Speaker 3: The only that's making the promo. Maybe choking out the level.
Speaker 6: Just a little, just a little.
Speaker 4: You getn't no one to stop, but that's just enough to get.
Speaker 6: The fear in my eyes.
Speaker 3: That's all. I'll tap what's going on on sixth Street?
Speaker 4: Okay, so let's set the scene a little bit. When you think of sixth Street, dirty sixth Street? What called dirty sixth Street when we are down there, right, but it is now No, it wasn't until West sixth evolved that we started calling.
Speaker 6: Yes, dirty six.
Speaker 4: Had comparison, and now there's East.
Speaker 6: Six which is quite a thing.
Speaker 4: But anyway, go ahead, Yeah, But I mean you think about like those cobblestone streets and the sidewalks, and for a split second like, oh, it sounds nice, but then you realize Rick, Then you realize that all of those cobblestones and bricks are covered in years and years of spilled beer and vomit and gross and bodily fluids. Right, And so the shootings that have happened, there's been like fourteen shootings in the last I don't know, ten fifteen years. Two people have died. It has not got a great reputation. A bunch of the bars that closed during COVID did not come back. What was that the Irish one we went.
Speaker 3: To before COVID. Shakespeare's no.
Speaker 4: Edie Riley Birdie Dog Bar, Easy, Tiger all closed.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but right now you're sitting down there, you feel like you got a dodge when you drive down the street. A lot of vacant stretches of.
Speaker 6: Four clubs and.
Speaker 3: Six street country Clubs still their.
Speaker 1: Four clubs and wine one price.
Speaker 3: Come on in.
Speaker 4: Sounds like one of those late night commercials where they sell you stuff loose. Wow, that's a flat right, that is a flashback. I'd forgotten about that. Maggie Mays on life support asking for GoFundMe to keep it open. So there is a Dallas based developer called Stream Realty. They're going to turn it all around.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what we need, say Dallas base anything in Austin.
Speaker 3: No is cut them off at Waco.
Speaker 4: I don't think we're gonna be able to do that because since twenty twenty, they've amassed about sixty percent of the real estate between Brazos and thirty five. And what they are planning they're rebranding Dirty sixth to Old sixth and they are planning on widening the sidewalks, taking it down to three lanes, cleaning it up. There for sure has to be a powerwasher involved in this process. They are going to line the streets with hotels, cafes, boutiques, local retailers, local offices, and they're trying to make sure people don't get shot down there.
Speaker 1: So I'm backing up into the last year. This was a city initiative to clean up six straight two because to make it safer, because with a bigger Yeah, and they wanted they wanted more retail and other types of businesses other than shot bars right right right now drinking. Okay, I'm summarizing. I could have some of this wrong. But the city was relaxing some rules on development because it's very historic right that the buildings, the height of the buildings, and it's like, okay, how do you decide when to relax and when not.
Speaker 6: To relax the rule the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was a thing like a year ago where the city was trying to help, uh be a little more adaptive to these buildings changing and becoming more retail.
Speaker 6: I don't see it. There's a lot of other places for retail right other.
Speaker 4: Than in that particular spot. I agree. They they took the building height limits from forty five feet to one hundred and forty five feet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they can go up now, right, Yeah, they're trying to go up. I don't know. It's downtown. I don't see this. It's dirty sixth streets. It's our Bourbon Street. It's always going to be. It's always going to be gritty and rough and right.
Speaker 4: But the difference between like our dirty sixth Street is people are afraid of it. New Orleans not necessarily clean on Bourbon Street, but people still go there because has.
Speaker 6: The Charmion Street. Oh really, yeah, Bourbon Street.
Speaker 2: So I just did a quick quick search here, and I asked, what was Sixth Street in Austin, Texas, like in nineteen fifty All right, geez, seventy five years ago, about like it is now. If you want to know the truth, it's a Sixth Street was historically one of Boston's key commercial cores blah blah, blah blah. By nineteen fifty, hour of the street was experienced a noticeable decline, transitioning from its bustling early twentieth century heyday to a seedier, less phosphorous area. Full circle is what's happened here?
Speaker 3: Yeah huh?
Speaker 2: And then, of course I thirty five came in nineteen fifty nine and that was they say part of the shift of Sixth Street, so rise of shopping centers and all that kind of st Yeah.
Speaker 4: So well, Stream Realties plan is to start installing these new businesses by the end of twenty twenty six and continuing the cleanup and expansion and rebranding through twenty twenty seven and twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I wish I'm like, that sounds risky to me, yeah, but so so if you clean it up. So South Congress used to be the dirty creator, yeah, Hookerville, right, and drugs and all that. So if you clean it up, they just go somewhere else. Whatever scene we clean up on Dirty six, it will go somewhere else where to.
Speaker 3: Become someone else's problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean where does it go?
Speaker 2: I mean the South Congress when it's far north is Runberg now.
Speaker 3: Exactly that area now? Uh yeah, I don't know where it is.
Speaker 1: So when you think of Dirty six, I think of your twenty one to twenty.
Speaker 6: I mean you outgrow it by twenty five, right.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I mean it's your young, gritty shot, bar rowdy.
Speaker 6: They'll just go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If they clean that up and it becomes stores and boutique hotels or whatever. They'll go somewhere else. It's just somebody else. Maybe beda will be. Where are all the bachelorette parties going to go?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Who? Where are the girls gonna go wearing their trs full of tiny penises? Is that going to be the new place? That's the only place you can do that right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're Austin has become the bachelorette capital of America. Austin and Nashville the other one that is huge for bachelor att parties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what happens to Dirty six.
Speaker 2: No matter what, no matter what it'll be, I guarantee you it will be slowed down by a what do they call a survey when they look for insurgent stuff, environmental.
Speaker 4: Lives on there that we didn't know about.
Speaker 2: That that's going to slow that now always does go to That's the story we love. It's the JV and Sandy Show.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the podcast edition of the show.
Speaker 2: Make sure you listen to the radio every morning to six until ten on Austin's eighty station what oh three point one, streaming on the iHeartRadio app