Speaker 1: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games. You can play for free anytime anywhere, with daily bonuses that should brighten your day Lowe actually a lot, So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com. No pursiness is every d void for HBLI losty terms conditions eighting plus. Hello, it is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. Do you can play for free anytime anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet, So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim your free welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: No pursiness is every d void over HPIL lost conditions eighteen plus. With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Pret never lost your regnition's eating pluss.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 5: Good Evening an investigation into the man Scotland Yard thought but couldn't prove, was Jack the Ripper. Dozens of theories have attempted to resolve the mystery of the identity of Jack the Ripper, the world's most famous serial killer. Ripperologist Robert House contends that we may have known the answer all along. The head of Scotland Yard's criminal investigation department at the time of the murders thought Aaron Kozminsky was guilty, but he lacked the legal proof to convict him. By exploring Kasminsky's life, House builds a strong circumstantial case against him. Showing not only that he had means, motive, and opportunity, but also that he fit the general profile of a serial killer as defined by the FBI today. The first book to explore the life of Aaron Kosminsky, one of Scotland Yard's top suspects in the quest to identify Jack the Ripper, combines historical research and contemporary criminal profiling techniques to solve one of the most vexing criminal mysteries of all time. The book draws on a decade of research by the author, including trips to Poland and England to uncover kas Minsky's past and details of the case. Includes a forward by Roy Hazelwood, a former FBI profiler and a pioneer of profiling sexual predators. Features dozens of photographs and illustrations, building a thorough and convincing case that completes the work begun by Scotland Yard more than a century ago. This book is essential reading for anyone who wants to know who really committed Jack the rippers heinous and unforgettable crimes. The book that we're featuring this evening is Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yard's prime Suspect, with my special guest, ripperologist, journalist and author, Robert House. Welcome to the program, and thank you for greeting this interview.
Speaker 6: Robert House, Thanks Dan, thanks for having me on the show. I've been a fan for a while, so happy to be on.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. A great book. This did not come out this year, so maybe you can tell us what year that came out. But let's talk about how you came to this story, your background. I mentioned you're a ripperologist, so tell us the amount of time that you dedicated to this studying this case, and before we talk about what you did in the pursuit of the main suspect and how you came to find that about that information and make that determination. So to give us a little bit of background on yourself and as a ripperologist, and tell us then about how you came to endeavor to write this incredible book and do the research necessary to do this.
Speaker 6: Sure, So I'm a you know, I'm a graphic designer by trade, so everything I've done in the area of researching Jack the Ripper has been done in my spare time, you know, kind of as a hobby. I initially got interested in it around the year two thousand and you know, at the time, I was honestly just reading a bunch of history books, not specifically true crime, you know, just history books in general. And I just, you know, somewhat randomly picked up a book on Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden, and it's called The Complete History of Jack the Ripper, I believe, and it's you know, it's a really great book. And you know, I just got sucked into the mystery of the case, like so many other ripperologists have done. But there was, you know, there was this one particular suspect that I became interested in, and this is Aaron Kosminsky, Who's the suspect I wrote my book about. You know, Sugden effectively dismissed him as a viable suspect in the Jack the Ripper case. And the more that I thought about this, the you know, the the more problems I started to see in in his argument, I guess, I would say, you know, and the more I thought about Aaron Kusminsky, he just seemed actually like he was a very good fit for Jack the Ripper. So I started doing, you know, just a little bit of research in my spare time, mostly pretty much all online. I started reading a lot of other books on serial killers, and you know, the real so the real break in my own research came when basically I discovered Aaron Kusminsky's genealogical records in Poland. You know, Aaron Kuzminsky has been known as a suspect in the case since nineteen eighty seven when he was discovered by Martin Fido, but very little was known about him. Very little is still known about him, in fact. But you know, at the time, it was known that he came from Poland, but you know, almost nothing was really known about his family or you know, where he was from. So I did this search for his genealogical records in Poland, and it was you know, I just submitted a search request. At that time, I did not travel to Poland, so I submitted a search request in the Polish archives, you know, and to do so, I had to have a pretty good idea of where in Poland he was from, because Poland is divided into Gubernia's and the their archives are not centrally you know, digitized or anything like that. So I had to you know, submit this request, have it translated into Polish, and you know, I found these records and then from there we got you know, the names of all his siblings, the names of his parents, and that led to subsequent discoveries in in England because we were then able to search, you know, for records of his siblings for example, and you know, that led to a bunch of other things. And so you know, I was doing this research in my spare time for you know, five or six years, and I discovered a lot of information about Aaron Cosminsky that had not been previously known. So I decided to write a book, and the book came out in twenty eleven. That's basically it in the nutshell.
Speaker 5: Now, I want to ask you. You mentioned Martin Feedo, so let's talk about who he is. And again we just glossed over what happened in nineteen eighty seven. That was a new development for ripperologists. And tell us how Aaron Kosminsky's name came up in nineteen eighty seven as a result.
Speaker 6: Yep, So I'm going to jump back a little bit to nineteen ten. The main reason that Aaron Kosminsky such a prime suspect in the case is because because in nineteen ten, Robert Anderson, who was the head of the criminal investigative investigation department at Scotland Yard, wrote a autobiography in which he stated that, contrary to popular belief, the police actually knew the identity of Jack the Ripper, but in the book he did not name the suspect. He said out of you know, concerns for being sued for libel and you know, really because he said the reputation of his department would suffer because the police don't tell tales out of school. There are various other reasons why he, you know, wouldn't name a suspect in a case like this. But he never named the suspect. And in the eighties, the grandson of the person who was actually the head of the Jack the ri Investigation at Scotland Yard, who worked under Anderson, was a man named Donald Donald Swanson, and his grandson discovered that Swanson had owned a copy of this book. And in the book where Anderson declined to name the suspect, Swanson actually wrote the suspect's name in the margin in pencil, and he wrote Cosminsky, but he only gave the last name. So Martin Fido in nineteen eighty seven, you know, Martin Fider is a well known riperologist, and he decided to try to discover a person named Cosminsky in the asylum records because Anderson stated that Cosminsky, you know, was insane and ended up in an insane asylum. So Martin Fido did a search through the asylum records and he only discovered one Cosminsky, and that was Aaron Minsky.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: Ironically, Fido dismissed Aaron Kuzminsky as a viable suspect almost immediately, which I've always found to be, you know, incredibly odd because you would think that the person who discovered him him would want to, you know, sort of take the credit for solving the case once and for all.
Speaker 4: But that wasn't.
Speaker 6: That wasn't what happened, And Martin Fido came up with a sort of an alternate theory. I won't go into the details, but that's how Aaron Kuzminsky's name came to be known. So he's his name's really been known since the eighties.
Speaker 5: What was the reasoning for Fido dismissing Chris Minsky after he had discovered Kuzminsky? What was his rationale?
Speaker 6: So his rationale and most people's, uh, you know, the common reason that Aaron Kusminsky has dismissed is because people say a he was an imbecile. He's commonly described as being an imbecile because well, it's really because he he was. He was he was initially entered into Colney Hatch County Asylum and then he was transferred to a place called Leavesden Asylum for imbeciles. That that was reason one. Reason two is that there's a there's a document written by a police surgeon who certified Aaron Kasminsky is insane. I'm sorry now his his admission record to Colney Hatch states that he's not violent because there was an entry on the form that said, you know, is is this person violent? And he wrote now, So those are the two main reasons really why he's dismissed and why FIDO dismissed him. But there are other aspects of his asylum records that also led them to dismiss him as well. For example, the person who certified him is insane wrote down, among the reasons that he goes about in the gutter and eats food out of the gutter, you know, things like that. He was also his asylum record also states that he was a compulsive masturbator that was given us the reason for insanity in fact. So, you know, all these things added up to, you know, sort of paint a picture that was very different from the way most people picture Jack the Ripper when they think of him. You know, he thought of as being this cunning sort of super villain, and here you have Erin Cosminsky, who's a you know, Jack the Rippers also commonly thought of as being you know, sort of an upper class person, at least that's how he's portrayed in films like the Johnny Depp film. You know, he's he's portrayed as an aristocrat or sometimes as a doctor.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: So here you have Aaron Cosminsky who was unemployed, lower class immigrant who is insane, you know, going about in the streets picking up food out of the gutter, and said to be both an imbecile and not dangerous. So, you know, the more I actually looked into some of these things, I realized that, you know, a lot of these arguments are actually quite weak, because, for one thing, he was not an imbecile. The term was actually you know, a strictly defined legal and medical term in the nineteenth century, which meant the equivalent of what we would now call, you know, a mentally retarded person. But the fact, the fact is that the imbecile asylums took in both people who were legally defined as imbeciles and also people who were legally defined as lunatics. The main reason, you know, a person would end up in a so called imbecile asylum was if he was deemed to be untreatable. So, you know, Aaron Kosminsky almost certainly had schizophrenia, you know, so the doctors at the time would have determined that he was untreatable. Uh, and hence he was transferred to Leivesden.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: The part about not being violent is also somewhat contradicted by his his asylum records, in which it states that he was at times violent.
Speaker 5: He actually.
Speaker 6: Threatened to attack one of the asylum attendants at one point, and it's also documented in his record that he attacked his own or he threatened to attack his own sister with a knife.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: But you know when he you know, when these forms are being filled out, uh, you know, they're they're asking probably his brother, who was the person who brought him to the workhouse, too to be seen by doctor. You know, they would have asked his brother, you know, is he violent? Brother said no, and he simply filled that in the form, you know, which is a perfectly normal response. And you know, you can picture the same thing could have been said of Ted Bundy or Gary Ridgeway if they were you know, being entered into you know, entered into some form. You know, somebody who knew Bundy would have said he's not violent. So, you know, these these objections to Aaron Kusminski start to sort of fall apart, and the more you look at him, he actually fits the you know, what you would what you would think Jack the Ripper was actually like. And once those objections are gone, then you see that the case against him is actually quite strong, although very little is still known about him as a person.
Speaker 5: To be honest, you did extensive research like no one else has. As you mentioned about Aaron Kazminsky. It's himself and his family background as much as you could find, and so there's some extrapolation or inferences, but basically incredible amount of information. But before we get to that, what I found was interesting is the again, we really do a great job of vividly describing Poland and Europe before we get to Britain, and then describing Britain. But I'd never heard, you know, this other background for Kazminsky. But what was interesting before we get to that, is to explain how important they thought masturbation was to insanity at that time, just to sort of give the listener some idea of the mindset at that time.
Speaker 6: You know, to really understand what was going on, you have to understand that insanity was very poorly understood. You know, it was starting to be understood a little bit better towards the end of the nineteenth century, which is the read we're talking about, but you know, there was very little treatment for it. There was very little understanding of schizophrenia, which you know, at the time was referred to as you know, something else could have been referred to as dementia praycox or you know, mania, something like that. But you know, so you know, in the Victorian era, you know, masturbation was commonly thought to cause not just insanity, but you know, all sorts of physical ailments which now we look upon as you know, being rather silly. But you know that that is entered in his record as being the cause of insanity. You know. One thing I pointed out in my book is that, you know, the the FBI's Behavioral Study Studies Unit, this group of kind of serial killer experts that includes John Douglas, Roy hazel Wood. You know, they conducted extensive interviews with serial killers in I believe the nineteen eighties to you know, sort of start to have some kind of you know, data based understanding of serial killers. They could look at them, you know, kind of in a statistical manner, and you know, so they're looking at common traits of serial killers. And I believe they interviewed thirty seven known serial killers, and one of the you know, highest, one of the most common traits I think it was, you know, eighty eighty percent or something was compulsive masturbation.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: So although people kind of joke about this, you know, when they're you know, sort of making fun of Aaron Kusminski is a suspect, you know, it's actually a predict you know, not a predictor, but it's a you know, it's very common trait among serial killers.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about and also what I want to mention too, that did you found as well to disprove the imbecile argument or dismissed this imbecile argument because for all official records he was considered not an imbecile but an actual lunatic. And you found that information, which is a big distinction.
Speaker 6: So you want me to go into that a little bit more, well, I mean, if you like, sure, yeah, I mean, you know, to I really read quite a bit about the history of you know, both insanity and lunatic asylums in England specifically, you know, and like I said, there was really very little treatment for people who were insane in the nineteenth century, and you know, for the most part, people who ended up in insane asylums were mostly managed really, you know, was not much of a sense of treating them because they didn't have any sense of what they could do, so you know, it was a lot of sort of restraint. Towards the end of the nineteenth century they started using chemical restraint. But the you know, the sort of taxonomy for how insane people were categorized was quite primitive, and you know, there was, you know, like I said, legally speaking, three broad categories for insanity. One was lunatic, another one was imbecile, and the third one was person of unsound mind, which it's actually quite unclear what that really meant. I looked into it, and I read one person who who did a pretty extensive study of asylum records, and he couldn't really tell that there was any you know, determining factor between lunatic person of unsound mind. But you know, it shows, it shows, you know, to an extent, the brutality with which these people were treated. That you know, people who were you know, mentally retarded effectively were just lumped together with insane people. They were all you know, kind of put put in these places and you know, treated really quite badly. So for me to understand what an imbecile asylum was, you know, required me looking quite a bit into the history of asylums in England.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: The fact was that the the asylums were overcrowded, and you know, the doctors towards the end of the nineteenth century they did start to think that think more about ways of treating people who were insane, but for the cases that they determined to be untreatable, they would just sort of shuffle the person off to a you know what in my book I call sort of an overflow container, you know, just get them out of here and send them off to that other place where they just can be basically managed. And so the imbecile asylums really.
Speaker 5: Were.
Speaker 6: You know, they housed both imbeciles and lunatics, and you know they were kind of designed to have only people who were non violent as well people who are considered harmless. But then you know that distinction also fell away and they just started taking anybody. Really, there was massive overcrowding in these places.
Speaker 5: So you do an incredible job of talking about the atmosphere and the environment at the time in Poland that likely shaped or did shape Aaron Kosminsky's future mindset. And so what you have is Poland in the late eighteenth century, and you talk about how weak in Poland had been because of Russia and Prussia and Austria, and so tell us about as you do start in seventeen seventy two and talk about the atmosphere and the environment and the sentiment. So tell us about that.
Speaker 6: You know, I won't go too much into the history of it. You know, to be honest, I'm not I wouldn't consider myself to be an expert in you know, the history of Poland in the eighteenth century. But you know it was a very weak country at the time, and the you know, these three bordering countries Russia, Prussia, and Austria effectively had a treaty that was designed to you know, weak in Poland, and you know, ultimately the country was basically liquidated and you know, broken up and divided between those three countries. So you know, in doing so, Russia took over what had been you know, a large part of eastern Poland. And you know, at at the same time they you know, that meant that a lot of Jewish people in Poland were sort of absorbed into the Russian Empire, and you know, throughout the nineteenth century, you know at you know, at that time, Russia was a very toxic and anti semitic atmosphere for Jews, who are really treated as you know, second class citizens with limited rights. You know, they were sort of confined to an you know, geographic area called the Pale of Settlement and within that, you know, they were restricted to only work in certain trades, travel was restricted, and you know, there were there was there were all sorts of sort of legal legal means of I guess, you know, keeping them an oppressed, sort of under class in the country, you know, and at the same time there was you know anti Semitism that extended, you know, right from the top, you know people you know, the Czar and people like that down to you know, the peasants. So you know, it was a horrible atmosphere for the Jews. And you know, as I write about in my book, in the you know, middle and late nineteenth century, there were you know, periodic outbreaks of programs in in western Russia against the Jews. The particular one that led to the emigration of the Kosminski family was after the assassination of the Czar in eighteen eighty one. You know, he was a fascinated by a group of I don't know if I want to call them anarchists. They were actually people who are trying to establish as sort of a democratic republican Russia by overthrowing the czar. Well, he was assassinated anyway in the street by assassins who came out and threw bombs at him. And you know, the Jews were scapegoaded by several newspapers, although they had nothing to do with it really, and this led to the outbreak of you know, massive riots across you know, a large area of western Russia against the Jews, and they were you know, extremely violent. It's it's hard to really imagine the scenario, but you know, the depictions that I've read in newspapers are you know, really horrific. People being killed, you know, tossed into you know, houses being burned down and bodies being tossed into the burning flames, and babies being thrown out of windows, and I mean just horrific descriptions. And so this led to you know, a massive wave of Jewish refugees fleeing Russia and going west. A lot of them ended up going to America, and a lot of them ended up going to London, you know where This is where the Cosminskis went. So, you know, Aaron Kazminsky went emigrated to London with his with his brother and sister, his earlier his older brother had already gone there about ten years earlier. And you know, also, as I read about in the book, the the the sentiment towards Jews in the East End got quite anti Semitic and violent as well, because they were you know, kind of resented, as you know, immigrants competing for jobs. There was high unemployment in London at the time.
Speaker 4: So you know.
Speaker 6: Throughout the decade. The Cosminski's arrived in about eighteen eighty one, the jack the Ripper murders were in eighteen eighty eight, and you know, between those two periods, the anti Semitism really was on the rise and it was really at a breaking point just just at the time the Ripper murders began. So you know, like I, like I said, very little is known about Aaron Cousminsky. You know about the quality of his family life and you know, things like that, but you know, this is the general environment that he experienced, you know, so you have to consider when when when the family emigrated to London, he would have been sixteen years old, and you know, just experiencing that level of anti Semitism and hatred and being surrounded by violence. You know, I sort of speculate in the book is the type of environment that can you know, lead a person to develop the level of hatred that you know serial killers do.
Speaker 5: With that, you talk about what Aaron Kosminsky could have witnessed in that you said it was there were frequent rapes from the Russians against the Jews. So he had sisters that were in their twenties and a mother. So he could have you said, could have experienced that kind of violence, even rapes of his own sisters or mother, or at least known of rapes or witnessed other violence, sexual assaults and all kinds of other violence before he left. And like you say, then he gets back to London and it's the same kind of anti semitic again, hatred and violence again. You talk about the profiling, and you get in this book and you talk about the geographical profiling as well. So talk a little bit more about the the profiling of what you learned from the profile in terms of comparing it to the information that you did have about Kaminsky's at least environment and the extrapolation of likely how he did grow up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, so some of this comes from the the you know, the the study that the FBI did that're referred to earlier where they sort of list common characteristics of serial killers and those include things like unemployment. You know, Aaron Kusminsky was unemployed. Uh, includes instability of residence which means, you know, a lot of moving, and you know, the speculated that that you know, keeps a person from developing attachments to people, you know, and Cousinsky obviously, you know, emigrated. He was a refugee coming to a strange place where he didn't speak the language. You know. Lack of a father figure is often cited. Aaron Kusminsky's father died when he was nine years old. It's unknown how you know, but he was really raised in a family that would have been, you know, as I say in the book, dominated by females, his older sisters and his mother. The only other male in the house was his brother, who was a few years older. But his older brother had left, you know, in the eighteen seventies. Then there's, as I said before, compulsive masturbation, you know, so things like that. Cosminsky, you know, matches all these characteristics. There's also, you know, just as I said before, you know, this sort of toxic and hateful atmosphere generally that he you know, was raised in. You Know, something that I researched more after the book was published actually was specifically about the the type of serial killer that Jack the Ripper was. You know, the FBI refers to this type of killer as a post mortem mutilator, because his primary interest really was in mutilating bodies after death, so you know, unlike had Bundy.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: You know, Bundy was would be considered a sadistic serial killer because he drived pleasure from sort of torturing his victims. Or you know, Jack the Ripper was not this type of killer. You know, he actually killed his victims quite quickly, but then you know, performed extensive mutilations, probably cannibalism. And you know, this type of killer is often you know, insane, by which I mean schizophrenic. Not always, but if you look at schizophrenic serial killers and they're quite rare, they often commit crimes that were quite similar to Jack the Ripper. You know, I say they're quite rare because some of the people who are considered generally to be schizophrenic serial killers may well have been faking it. I'm thinking of Berkowitz, possibly Peter Sutcliffe, the Yorkshire Ripper. But if you look at people who are you know, clearly schizophrenic serial killers, people like Richard Chase, Herbert Mullen, you know, their crimes were quite disorganized, uh, and you know, often involved mutilation of the bodies after death, cannibalism and things like that.
Speaker 4: So you know, just in.
Speaker 6: You know, kind of across the board. Aaron Kusminsky fits with I think the type of killer you would be looking for generally.
Speaker 5: How did Sir Robert Anderson and Donald Swanson come to their conclusions with m with their in Kris Minsky. Yeah, so.
Speaker 6: The the police would have known quite a bit more about Aaron Cosminsky than we know today because they almost certainly interviewed him, questioned him. Probably they must have interviewed his family members, and there would have been some kind of suspect file on him that's now been lost. So what has survived is just these little snippets of you know, documents that mention him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: The short answer to your question is, it's not really known why Anderson came to the conclusion that Aaron Kuzminsky was Shack the Ripper, but he seemed quite definite about it. The way he puts it in several different interviews is he said it was a moral certainty, which is actually a legal term that kind of means in a nutshell, it means we couldn't prove it legally, But he was convinced anyway that Aaron Cozminsky was Jack Thripper. You know, that said the surviving documentation on him comes from you know, Anderson's book, The Swanson. Swanson's writings in the margin of the book, which is referred to as the Swanson Marginalia, you know, fills in some of the gaps. And then there's a document called the McNaughton Memoranda, which was written by another detective at Scotland Yard, sort of summarizing some of the top suspects in the case. In that he says that Cousminsky had a great hatred of women, especially prostitutes, and you know, he had homicidal tendencies. But probably the most important thing that's known anyway is that Aaron Kusminsky was act He identified by a witness. Anderson writes about this, but very little is known about it. You know, it's not really known who the witness was, although most people think it's a person named Joseph Lowand or Lavender. I'm not exactly sure how to pronounce the name. It was a he's he was a Jewish person, and he declined to He declined to testify in court as to the identification. You know, Anderson writes that he refused to testify against a fellow Jew or I'm sorry, Swanson wrote that, but you know, I mean to be honest, it's not really known why he refused to testify, although I've always imagined that it could just be that he was not really one hundred percent sure about the person he was he saw. But you know, Anderson does say that he was positively identified, and that Cousminski himself sort of knew that he had been identified. In other words, he somehow reacted at the time to indicate perhaps, you know, guilt, something like that. But so it's not known exactly what happened, but for some reason, Anderson became convinced that this was the person, you know, I often I often think of as a comparison what happened with Gary Ridgway, when the head of the Green River Task Force was, you know, absolutely convinced that Gary Ridgeway was a Green River killer. But they couldn't prove that either, despite the fact that there was, you know, really a mountain of circumstantial evidence that linked Ridgeway to the Green River, but they just did not have the evidence that would have been required to convict him until they got the DNA evidence. And I suspect that something similar may have happened in this case where they had a lot of circumstantial evidence, but Anderson was a lawyer, so he knew that probably whatever they had was not going to be sufficient to convict.
Speaker 5: Now you do extensive research. What I found one of the most profound parts of the book is that you look into this insanity claim that the Kuzminsky was insane, and then find out when officially it looks like he was institutionalized and the conditions under therein on which he was institutionalized with family members. So tell us what you did uncover in that area.
Speaker 6: I mean, as far as how he became, how he ended up in the institution. Yeah, you know, so, like I said, he he had he was schizophrenic almost certainly if you if you read the descriptions, you know, he's described as having auditory hallucinations. He he heard the voice, which he describes as an instinct that informed him of the movements of all mankind. He claimed, you know, sort of that he could. He claimed that this voice told him not to drink water out of the tap and not to eat food that was given to him. And this explains why he was, you know, looking for food in the gutter. You know, Schizophrenia is a degenerative disease, and you know, nowadays it's treatable with drugs, but at the time it was completely untreatable. So, uh, you know, Aaron Kusminsky's insanity would have, you know, come on kind of slowly, I guess, and by the time he's been in the asylum for you know, twenty years, he's really he really had degenerated to the point where he's you know, mumbling and incoherent and things like that. But you know, it was said that his the first signs of insanity started in eighteen eighty six, which was, you know, two years prior to the murders. He was basically he was basically brought to a place called Mile End Old Town Workhouse by his brother, you know, to to determine whether he was insane basically, you know. So it's important to note that his family had him committed basically and he and this he was brought to the workhouse. See it's it's almost two years after the last Ripper murder, so there is a gap there where there are no murders, and people have asked wires and no murders, you know, during during this time when he was out on the streets, but he was brought to the workhouse, and then he was released from the workhouse.
Speaker 5: Uh, and.
Speaker 6: Then he was brought back six months later, and at that time he was looked at by a police surgeon who determined that he was insane, and at that point he was committed to Colney Hatch Colny Hatch Lunatic Asylum, and then he stayed there for three years, and then he was transferred to Leivesden and he stayed there for the rest to his life, and he lived to the age of fifty four and died in nineteen nineteen. You know, Swanson writes, for example, that he was brought to the workhouse with his hands tied behind his back, So he was clearly brought there against his will. And it's been speculated whether the police were sort of involved in having him committed. You know, I don't want to go off too much into the realm of speculation here, but you have to wonder if you're in this situation where you believed, you know who Jack the Ripper was, but you couldn't really do anything legally, you know, is it possible that the police sort of facilitated a situation where he could be admitted to an asylum that he would never be released from to sort of you know, it was a sort of a solution to the problem that they would handle, you know, quite discreetly as a matter of fact. So there are, in my opinion, several indications that whatever happened with Aaron Kosminsky was kept pretty quiet in the police department, you know, which makes sense at least in my mind, given you know, the level of anti Semitism that there was in London. You know, there's almost the outbreak of riots at the time of the murders because the Jews were again blamed, and you know, the police in fact destroyed one of the key pieces of evidence, which is the Gulston Street graffito, because they were worried that that was going to lead to anti Jewish riots. So, you know, it's entirely possible if you're looking at a situation where you have a Jewish suspect, that the police would not want that to get out in any way. So, you know, I personally believe that they they they covered up what happened with Aaron Kuzminsky, you know, even if they couldn't prove that he was the killer. I think that they didn't want any kind of word to get out about him as a suspect. And you know, there are little snippets of things here and there that I believe support that theory.
Speaker 5: In keeping with that thought, though, I thought that when in the book, when you talked about the Jewish witness, didn't the Jewish witness to Kusminski at least say that it was a possibility that they were interested in not having that kind of riot ensue if this witness that was jew regardless of him coming forward, the perpetrator was Jewish, and with the Jewish anti Semitism already, is that not valid or at least possibly valid, that that witness even though he id'd because Minsky didn't in afterthought thought maybe not a great idea.
Speaker 6: It's entirely possible. I suppose, you know, there are actually even some Jewish sources who argue the same point effectively. You know, I personally believe that it may have been sort of a combination of that, combined with really you know, I mean, witness This type of witness identification is notoriously difficult, you know, notoriously faulty, I mean false identifications are you know, known to be extremely common you know, Joseph Lowand, who was probably the witness, said at the time that he would not be able to recognize the person. Again, it was dark, you know, there were quite a ways away. He only caught a glimpse of the guy, you know, And is he going to be able to identify him a year later, you know, It's highly unlikely, but it was really the best that they could do. So maybe they you know, showed you know, showed him Aaron Cosminsky and say is this the person? And he might have said it looks like him? I think, you know, But if you all of a sudden realize that you are the sort of lynch pin of the whole case, that the whole case rests on you, you may really give a second thought to whether you want to testify, especially given the you know, the situation with anti Semitism in the East End. That's more the way that I think about it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: The one of the things that is written about this identification is that he did not want the person to be hanged, you know, based on his evidence and to have that on his conscience. Sure, you know, so there's a lot of pressure there, I think, and you know, I really doubt that he could be could have been one hundred percent in his identification anyway. Yeah, go ahead, I was going to say, I was just going to say that said, you know there was a positive identification, right, There's.
Speaker 5: No part of your investigation included the geographical profiling, which is a little bit more recent or more recent type of profiling. And but it's important as well because it can answer some questions and support your your your theory, your idea that kauz Minsky is the is the man. So tell us about what you did in terms of that investigations to the geographical profiling of Chris Minsky.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, geographical profiling, there's many different types of it. You know, it uses sort of mathematical modeling of the crime scenes and other geographic factors of you know, the particular area where murders are you know taking place. You know, the Jack the Ripper murders all took place within walking distance of each other, you know, unlikes you know, some modern day crimes like the Yorkshire Ripper where he was driving around in a car the East end of London was you know, the Jack the Ripper was walking around the area basically looking for victims. You know, one of the most basic types of geographic profiling involves what's called circle theory, where you just simply draw a circle, the smallest circle possible that contains all the crime scenes, and then you know, use that as a sort of predictor of where the where the killer lived. Yeah, I mean this is obviously a very crude sort of method, but even doing that, you know, Cosminsky lived within half a mile aile of you know, the center of a circle that would contain all the crime scenes, and uh, you know, I I have walked around the area myself. I sort of understand the layout. I understand where the you know, where the sort of the scene was. Uh, where Aaron Cosminsky lived was comparatively, you know, kind of a residential quiet area. The part where all the sort of prostitution and the bars and all the action was happening was a little bit north of there, you know, So he may have walked up to that area and then just sort of wandered around looking for you know, victims, and then walked back home. If you you know, if you look at some of the there are some indications of you know, the route that Jack the Ripper took after the murders, the best one really is the coolest street graffito which I referred to, and basically in that case, the killer cut off a piece of Catherine Eddo's apron. Catherine Edos was the the victim in Miter Square, the fourth victim of Jack the ripper, right, and the killer cut off piece of her apron, either to wipe his hands of blood or to possibly carry away one of the organs. In that case, he took away to organs from the body. And then that rag covered with blood was discovered, you know, several hundred yards to the east of where the crime scene was, and it was left next to this piece of graffiti that you know, like I said, was became a clue said the Jews are the men that will not be blamed for nothing, which is very cryptic and difficult to understand, but you know, it gives you a clear sense of the direction that the killer walked after committing the murder, which is east. And you know, as I you know, map this out and you know, knowing the area, it's exactly the direction that Aaron Cousminsky would have walked to basically go home, because you know, in my mind he would have avoided the main thoroughfare, which is Whitechapel High Street, and he would have gone on the you know, the slightly more backstreet which ran parallel to it to the north, which was Wentworth Street, and that's you know, gone down that street, crossed over Whitechapel High Street and gone to his house, which was you know, less than a mile away. But you know, I mean that that direction that the killer walked would have been exactly the direction that Aaron Cosminsky would have walked to go home. You know, same could be said for what's often speculated was the you know, so called getaway route for the killer after committing the Nichols murder. Who was speculated that the killer uh went through a sort of an alley that led to you know again why Chapel High Street and you know, sort of over near the London Hospital. And again this is exactly rut that Aaron Cousminsky would have gone to walk home. Another another example is the murder of Elizabeth Stride.
Speaker 5: She was the.
Speaker 6: Third or fourth victim, depending on you know, who he counted as victims of Jack the Ripper and her. The crime scene there was you know, within probably less than a one minute walking distance of where Aaron Kusminsky was probably living at the time.
Speaker 5: That murder.
Speaker 6: In particular, there was a witness who saw a man actually attacking a woman right right at the location where the you know, where the body was found, you know, ten to fifteen minutes later. You there's a lot of debate among ripperologists about whether this person was Jack the Ripper. I personally believe that he probably was. And what this witness saw, the witness name was Israel Schwartz, was you know, a murder in progress. Effectively, that Schwartz testimony said that he was walking down the street called Berner Street, and ahead of him he saw a man walking the same direction but kind of stumbling as if drunk. And when the person came up to this woman, who was standing in the entrance of a courtyard, he basically attacked her. And you know, again walking down you know, south down Berner Street. This is exactly the direction that Aaron Cousmansky would have gone to get to his house, which was on Providence Street probably which was Providence Street was one block south of Berner Street, you know. So John Douglas, for example, theorized that Jack the Ripper probably went out, you know, frequently at night, hunting for victims. And he also speculated that he would drink, you know, get drunk in the bars.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: So if if Aaron Kasminsky went up to you know, Commercial Street or Brick Lane, the places where the all the pubs were, and got drunk and wandered around for a while and then was walking back home and he's drunk, you know, this is exactly the direction he would have walked to get home is down Berner Street. And this is exactly what Schwartz saw as a man walking down Berner Street, you know, in that direction who then attacked a woman who was probably Elizabeth Stride. So you know, you start to add up all these little pieces and it just like everything just kind of fits perfectly, you know, given the theory that Aaron Kusminsky was Jack the Ripper, and there are you know, there are so many little pieces like that. I if you look at any suspect in the case, the more you learn often the more you start to see that it just doesn't really quite fit. There's something that doesn't quite you know, fit with this person. He was either you know not there. You know, Walter Sickert, for example, who Patricia Cornwell wrote about it was almost certainly in France at the time of the murders. So the more you dig into these suspects, you'll find something that kind of disqualifies them, you know. With Aaron Kuzminsky has been the exact opposite. The more that I research and the more that I find out, you know, he fits exactly, He fits exactly with with you know, the with every aspect of what is known about Jack the Ripper. You know, one example, well, i'll go into just yeah, go ahead, no, go ahead. I was just going to give one example. It's just something that I found in my book. There's a sort of a famous suspect in the case, referred to as the Batty Street lodger. I don't know if you've ever heard of this person before, but it was a story that was reported in the newspaper where a lodger in a house dropped off some laundry to his landlady, and the landlady discovered blood on it, and then the police, you know, started conducting surveillance, and you know, it turns out that the story was actually misreported, but the newspaper, and this is discussed in a lot of books on Jack the Ripper, but they don't really discuss the fact that the newspapers in the following days updated the story with probably more accurate information. The fact is that there was never a lodger at all, But there was a person apparently who dropped off some laundry to a laundress who worked on Batty Street, which is just one street to the east of of Berner Street and one street north of Providence Street, where Aaron Kusminsky lived. And you know, there was a shirt that had blood on it, and she alerted the police to this, and the police arrested the person eventually and interviewed this person and released him. And you know, the newspaper reports described this person as being a ladies tailor who lived a few hundred yards from the crime scene, who worked for a West End house, you know. And this fits perfectly with Erin Kuzminsky's brother, who was a lady's tailor who lived, you know, a few hundred yards to the north of the crime scene. And this had never been noted before to my knowledge, in any Ripper book. But then it had never been known that his brothers were ladies tailors. Really, there's also the fact that but Aaron Kuzminsky's brother removed his daughter from school, and she was going to school at a place called the Berner Street School, which was directly opposite from the crime scene, and he took her out of school exactly, I think one day after the Batty Street lodger story first appeared in the newspapers. You know, so these things start to kind of add up where you you know, you can imagine I suspect that the family suspected Aaron was the killer and didn't know what to do about it, you know, but we're probably talking about it in the home, you know, kind of in hushed tones, and you know, it's the type of thing that you don't want a you know, a ten year old girl to overhear and start talking about in school. So they removed her from the school. This is you know, this is all speculation, but you know, if you look at the dates, it matches perfectly. Is a coincidence that she was removed from the school one day after, you know, this newspaper report about the Batty Street lodger. So you know, I try to avoid speculating, but you know, it goes to show you how little is actually known. But you know, like I said, these things they all start to start to they sort they sort of fit together.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I've described it like being a jigsaw puzzle where you have very few of the pieces, but you know there's a lot of pieces missing, but you start to see the picture and everything, you know it is fitting together.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's You've done a masterful job putting that puzzle together. Before I let you go, I want to ask about the origin of some of the photos, the incredible photos that you have in your book. So tell us a little bit about all these incredible photos that are included in your book, and maybe tell us a couple of the interesting sources where you got some of these from.
Speaker 6: A lot of the photos in the book are ones that have been you know, known in Ripper you know Jack the Ripper books for a long time, you know, the photos of the victims. I also have photos of Quadova, Poland, which is where Aaron Kusminsky is from, and I you know, I traveled there myself in two thousand and eight and took some pictures.
Speaker 5: There are.
Speaker 6: Photos of the modern day locations of the streets where his siblings lived in the East End of London, which you know they look quite different now than they did then, because you know, all these old row houses were demolished. But there's a very nice photo in the book of the street where Aaron Kuzminsky's brothers lived, which is called Greenfield Street. There's a there's a there's a there's a great photo of Donald Swanson in the book that has never been published before. And I got that from his great grandson. You know, it's interesting because I also briefly had in my possession Donald Swanson's pistol because his great grandson bought it from a you know, kind of an antique gun dealer here in the US, and you know, I kind of conducted the transaction myself, and so I had I had this gun at my house and it's an old you know, it's a Tranter pistol from the eighteen eighties that's inscribed with a little you know, a stutcheon on it to Donald Swanson's very small gun actually, but it was really interesting to have that, you know, in my possession for six months or something like that. But yeah, I mean, there's there's a lot of really good photos in the book of the you know, the crime scenes. There's a photo of Aaron Kasminsky's grave that I visited, which is in the East end of London, and you know, it's the inscription on the grave is just literally deteriorating, its dissolving, which you know, as I say, is kind of fitting really for him as a person, because you know, he's just so little is known about him. It's it's it's almost like, you know, it's fitting that the inscription is disappearing almost the same way that he sort of appeared and then disappeared in history. Really. And there's other good pictures in the book. There's there's nice maps that show the layout of all the crime scenes and where he lived.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very incredible, uh, total package of this Jack to Ripper in the Case for Scotland Yards Prime Suspect. I want to applaud you for this. I want to ask you if they're for those that might be further in truested in your work and this book and anything else that you are doing. Do you have a website? You need to Facebook tell us a little bit about how my people might be able to contact you and get more information about you.
Speaker 6: I do have a Facebook page for the book, you know, Jack the Ripper and the Case for Scotland Yards Prime Suspect on Facebook. You know, the books available on Amazon and other online stores. You know, if somebody has any questions or wants to send a message, they can send it through that Facebook page and I should get it. You know, my my personal website is much more geared towards my my work as a as a designer, so there's nothing really on there right now about the case. But yeah, I mean, well, other people to buy the book.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's a it's a great book. And for anybody that has read anything about Jack the Ripper, this is ash talking that we really do get a pretty good idea of the best suspect according to the police at the time. And then thanks to Martin Fido and then your follow up in your incredible adventure to try to dismiss or have this person as the suspect, and you've done a great job in painting the likely Jack the Ripper and it's a fascinating book. I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Jack the Ripper and the case for Scotland Yards Prime Suspect. Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Robert House Sure, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 5: You have a great night.
Speaker 6: Good night, Okay, you too, well