Speaker 1: This is Neil Smith, former president and GM of the New York Rangers and the New York Islanders. Join me and my co host Vic Moren for our podcast NHL Wrap Around for all the important news and views around the NHL.
Speaker 2: Stanley Cup Playoffs are going on right now. It's an off season for the Utah Hockey Club, so we'll bring in Neil Smith on a Wednesday afternoon to break it all down. Neil, Happy Wednesday, sir, How are you happy Wednesday?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Thanks Spence. How about you?
Speaker 4: I'm great. I'm great. So is this time of year put a little wind in your sales?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's really nothing quite like the Stanley Cup playoffs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah. And the unexpected happens every year in different places at different times, and the first round is always one of my favorites because you just don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: So let's just start big picture, your biggest surprise so far now, we are still very very early in a couple of series, have only played one game. We've got two games in the book in some of the other series, but anything stand out as far as a surprise, just kind of storyline throughout the early parts of the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there's been two things. First of all, Minnesota beating Vegas last night in Vegas quite handily, and going from a team who didn't score much they are always the under to a team that once they got Caprisos and Erics and Eck and Bowldy all playing together. Now all of a sudden they're putting the puck in the net and they eliminated Jack Eikele, the best player on Vegas, so they won that game handley. And then the other thing that surprised me was the shellacking that Florida gave Tampa in Tampa in Game one of that series, which was last night. It was skill versus you know, determination, and determination won out with the Florida Panthers.
Speaker 2: Of all the series, excuse me, Of all the series, which one is I'll say, the most intriguing, the most entertaining, which one has your attention more than any of them?
Speaker 3: I think either Ottawa and Toronto, where Toronto is up two games to none, because that's the Battle of Ontario and you know that's where I'm trump, or the Forida matchup with the Panthers and the Tampa Bay Lightning because they're both Stanley Cup contenders, but one of them's got to go away after the first round. So I find those two things really exciting. Winnipeg and the Winnipeg and the Blues. Winnipeg was able to take the two nothing lead, very hard to come back on that from that for Saint Louis, but they nevertheless put up a real good fight so far. But I'd say that the most intriguing to me. And then you, I should say, You've also got Edmonton in LA where LA had a four goal lead and got it erased by Edmonton, but then one in overtime in Game one, so that's also intriguing. And Spence, this is the fifth year in a row, if you can believe that, the fifth year in a row that the first round has had the Edmonton l A matchup.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I didn't realize it had been five years. I knew it was back to back years. I read that earlier. I didn't realize it had been five years. Geez, let me.
Speaker 4: You know all of those series certainly correct answers.
Speaker 2: But the Stars, you know Stars Avalanche series, of course, it's out in our neck of the woods. It's another another series where there's gonna be a really good team that goes home. And first two games have been really good. It's had one game apiece. How do you see this one playing out?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm giving Colorado the edge because Colorado's gotten healthy at the right time and unfortunately for Dallas, they've gotten injured at the wrong time. So they lost their top goal scoring Jason Robertson. They had already lost Heiskin and their best defenseman, Mikol Heiskin, and so that doesn't look like those guys might make it back in time. And Colorado is really strong. And Gabriel Landscott, the captain of College whose last game was hoisting the Stanley Cup in twenty twenty two, has been going to play tonight according to his coach. So he hasn't played since that twenty twenty two Stanley Cup and he's.
Speaker 2: Return is tonight, three years away from the game. I mean, that's that's a pretty exciting storyline. I want to pan back a little bit look at this thing from more of a macro viewpoint. And you know, it's always fun to hear you educate us on all things NHL as it's new to Salt Lake City, and you know, in other sports, there are other superlatives and cliches about what wins in the postseason. From a hockey standpoint, when you go about your business of trying to build a team, build a team that is built for the playoffs, what are some of the dynamics that lead to success? Just generally speaking, what leads to success in playoff hockey?
Speaker 3: I think that the pack mentality is one thing where you know you've got one guy after the next coming at the other team, and you're not based on skill, but you can play it any which way. You can play skill if you have to, but you can also play, you know, that very physical style because the playoffs do get extremely physical. When you see the same guys every other night for two weeks, it gets really intense, and you've got to be strong enough to be able to stand up for that. Florida, who won the Cup last year, has gotten healthy right at the right time. Matthew Kachuk came back last night, first game back, two goals and an assist, and hasn't played for twenty something games, missed twenty something games since the Four Nations. He's been out since the Four Nations. Came back and got two goals, and assists last night in their win over Tampa.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move let's move over to the games that are going on tonight.
Speaker 4: Let's get a little preview.
Speaker 2: We got the Canadians and the Capitols Game one, Alvechkin two goals assisted on the other Caps to the oldest player in Stanley Cup playoff history to factor in all of his team goals with a minimum of three. So this is this is going to be a barnburner tonight. Washington leads one zero. What are you expecting to see between Montreal and Washington tonight.
Speaker 3: Well, I was really impressed with the way Montreal came back in that game. They sort of seemed to have stage fright in the first two periods, but then the third period they dominated. They pushed it into overtime and Ovechkin got the overtime goal. As you said, during the regular season, there was no comparison between Washington Montreal. But Montreal has got nothing to lose, and I think tonight I would be surprised that Washington can take a two lead on them the way that Montreal played the other night. They're young, they're very aggressive, and as I said, they got nothing to lose. No one expected them to even make the playoffs this year.
Speaker 2: Who has You know, one of the things you always talk about, You know, in football, quarterback the most important position, but you know, when it comes to the most important position in team sports, I think most people would still sid on quarterback. But you do hear a lot of people talk about goalies, and hot goalkeepers at the right time can lead teams to Stanley Cupps. We've seen it before. Who are the best goalies in the playoffs?
Speaker 3: Neil Well, Butbroski for Florida has to be number one since he did win the Cup last year and he's starting for them and they won their their first game. Massilevski, who's won two Stanley Cups for Tampa, didn't look good last night, but I can tell you he'll turn that around and start playing well. You know, the Toronto has got for the first year and a long time, has gotten superb goaltending out of Anthony Stolars who was with the Panthers as the backup last year but now is the number one in Toronto. You've got to have a good goaltender to go anywhere in the playoffs because the intensity level is so high. You don't have to have a superstar like back in my day when you either had to have Mike Richt or Marty Brodure or Patrick Waugh. But you just have to have a good goalie Aiden hill In they has won the Stanley Cup and he's not a household name. So if I was saying who is the best guys, it's Vassilevski and Bobrovski for sure, you know, and then and then it goes down from there, not very far down, but it's those I think are the two top guys.
Speaker 2: You already referenced that you like Colorado because they're getting healthy at the right time.
Speaker 4: Series is deadlock to one. What do you think happens tonight?
Speaker 3: I think that I think that they're probably going to win tonight if and Lampscott, if he comes back, that's going to give them a huge mental boost and the building will be buzzing. Dallas is just doesn't. I don't think Dallas has enough. I just don't. I Uh. I like their lineup when it's healthy, but it's not healthy right now, and with Jason Robertson out and Mikohaskine, I just think Colorado will be too much.
Speaker 2: You already referenced the comeback six five victory. Game one, Kings became the fourth team and Stanley Cup history to blow a four goal lead and then win in regulation.
Speaker 4: What do you think happens tonight in La? I've been to La.
Speaker 3: Kings LA are sorry. Edmonton's got Evander Keene coming back. Now that's not headline news, but that's certainly a different ingredient that you put into your lineup, and I think Edmonton will even the series up tonight. It's hard for me to believe that Connor McDavid, Leon Dry Sidel and Evan Bouchard and Zach Hyman and all these other huge players they've got will go home down two, but it could happen. The Kings are a great home team. But you know, they almost put it the other night. It was amazing to watch how the Kings sort of fell apart there. But we're able to solidify the win at the end.
Speaker 2: Since this was our only opportunity to catch up you this week, let's get some thoughts on the games we've played.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Panther's Lightning you already referenced you like this series an awful lot. Florida leads one zero, this will be in Tampa. What do you think happens tomorrow? I guess I'll say afternoon between these two teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the game, the game, the first game in Tampa was one sided. I think that Tampa will make adjustments. I don't think Florida will be able to blow them out like six to two like they did in the first game. But Tampa's got their hands full of Florida. Whoever plays Florida is going to have their hands full because these guys are just They play playoff hockey all year long, so when the playoffs come, they're used to it. That's the way they play. So that'll be That'll be in a very intense matchup.
Speaker 2: We'll move over now to another series that you like an awful lot based off of where you are from. We're all from somewhere. Maple leafs Senators. That will be tomorrow. That is five o'clock mound time ESPN two Toronto leads two zero.
Speaker 4: Canada will get back into it.
Speaker 3: I think Anawak can get a win. I don't think that. I don't think they're going to win both games in Ottawa. I think they're gonna win one of them, which would put them down three to one, which would mean that Toronto's going to win the series either in five or six or seven. But Ottawa is a good, feisty young team. Haven't been in the playoffs for many years, so this is their first exposure. Brady Katuck Matthew's brother Matthew Kachuck that I talked about in Florida. Brady plays, he's the captain of Ottawa, had his first taste of playoff hockey in his career in this series, so they're all new to it. Being down two oh though to Toronto is not a good place to be.
Speaker 2: Golden Knight's Wild That will be tomorrow seven o'clock. That's on TBS in Minnesota. Deadlocke to one apiece as they go back to As they go to Minnesota, what do you think happens tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be a toss up, I really do. I was really impressed with Minnesota Vegas. Vegas ended the season way ahead of Minnesota, but Minnesota's gotten healthy. They really played well in that game last night, and nothing would surprise me. They're back on home ice. But you know what, Jack Eichel's not going to go very long with no points and he's got none to this point, so we'll see. I can't give you a winner on that one. I just want to see it.
Speaker 2: Winnipeg was historic all year with theirnette and the best team out this way in the Western Conference. Can the Blues at least make this interesting?
Speaker 3: I think the same as I said for Ottawa. They're down two going home. Eighty six percent of the teams that have a two dozing lead win the series. I think that the Jets will win this series. I don't think the Jets will win both games at Enterprise Center in Saint Louis. I think St. Lewis will take one of them. And about the same analysis, Spence that I gave you for Ottawa and Toronto. I think Winnipeg's clearly the better team, but Ottawa is feisty and trying hard to, you know, to battle a giant.
Speaker 2: Of all the teams that did not make the playoffs, which team surprised you the most?
Speaker 4: Who's the best team not involved in the tournament?
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting. I was talking about this today with somebody, and in the East, the best team I think of the teams that didn't make it are the Buffalo Sabers. But because they're so messed up, their talent can't come through, and they missed the playoffs again for the fourteenth straight year. But if you looked at their talent, I think they've got better talent than the Red Wings or the Columbus Blue Jackets and so on. So that's what I think on that side. On the other side, on the western side of the Utah side, Calgary had a spectacular year, Vancouver had a spectacularly bad year, and Utah made up some ground as we've talked about. But I think that Calgary surprised me, and they've got a real good goaltender and they will be right in there in the mix. You can mark this down if you want for next year's conversations. Calgary and Utah will be fighting for a spot next year, fighting each other for a spot.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm just realizing, and I don't have a question. I'm just going to say it into this microphone to get your reaction. Boston Bruins, Chicago Blackhawks, Detroit Red Wings, New York Rangers, Pittsburgh Penguins, your old New York Islanders. There are a lot of you know, a lot of teams that were accustomed to seeing like Banner carrying teams for pro hockey that are not in the Stanley Cup playoffs. Like I said, I out of question. That's kind of interesting though. Those are big, big brands.
Speaker 3: And let me give you a fact that this is the first time in history that the four US based Original Six teams being the Rangers, Chicago, Boston, and Detroit, have all been out of the playoffs. All four of the American based Original Six seeing the playoffs for the first time ever. And you're right, Pittsburgh has been out for a couple of years now, but they've certainly still got Crosby and Malcolm and so on, and we're used to seeing them. The New York Islanders, of course, had their heyday long ago, but in Boston Bruins were only two years removed from from setting not just a franchise record of wins and points, a league record of wins and points just two years ago, and now the bottom's fallen out on them.
Speaker 2: Pretty wild to consider, all right, Neil, Before I set you loose, just a thought on the Utah Hockey Club, And of course I've already asked you about what they need to add and what Bill Armstrong could do but we had some postseason media with Bill Armstrong and coach Tourney. They held exit interviews and now the players go on their ways. Just so for our fans around here, what is this time of year like for front offices that are not involved in the Stanley Cup playoffs, namely the Utah Hockey Club.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Bill Armstrong's meeting having scouting meetings, may go over to the World Championships and look at that and look at the best players over there. Definitely looking at high high end junior talent, college talent, people that are going to be in the entry draft. He's going to be going with his scouts to see that. So they're going to be preparing and they're gonna have lots of time to do it. They're going to be preparing for the entry draft they're going to and they got a lot of picks. They're going to be preparing for free agency seeing who's available. So they've they've got a lot of time. That's what you do in the offseason. You you study what's out there. You already know what you need and what you think can be replaced because you've watched the two games. But this is a time when I can tell you Bill Armstrong's not spending a lot of nights at home right now.
Speaker 2: A lot of new hockey fans out here, Neil, how can they go find your podcast?
Speaker 3: Well, go find it on any any podcast platform, if you can get on Spotify or Apple or Amazon or any of them, or or YouTube, NHL wrap around and we're doing a Stanley Cup date. How do you like that? Plan for Stanley Date? Every day? And so the little thing. They'll come out telling everybody what happened the night before and where everything stands. And we're having a lot of pun at it. And I think a lot of people could learn things from the podcast, not just from me certainly, but from the guests that we have on the show.
Speaker 2: Great time of you're my friend, Thank you for your time and have a great week.
Speaker 4: Enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, thank you, Spence, you too.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Neil Smith stops by today courtesy of our friends at IFA Country Stores. It's time and now to start thinking about your lawn and any drive to the basket begins with the first step and on the court, that's the ultimate power move. IFA Step one Crabgrass Preventer plus their lawn food is the first choice to give your yard the healthy green look you admire.
Speaker 4: The neighbors will be green with envy.
Speaker 2: Shop IFA online, at IFA dot co op, or stop by one of their neighborhood stores today