Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Wednesday we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, and for this week of July twenty ninth, we are continuing with Lost. This week we are talking about season one, episode four, walk About, an episode in which, hmm, we get to thinking, maybe there's something about this island we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, couples, a couple somethings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I knowing going in knowing. Actually from the first episode, it was such a kick to see Terry O'Quinn acting Locke thinking wtf, right, and yet nobody knows at that point what why he's that way. But yeah, you imagine just you know, you're in this horrible crash and you realize, hey, how about that, I can move my legs now?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: So yeah, all this that was quite the reveal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, all this time he's just been like, Okay, I know something y'all don't know, and.
Speaker 3: I will be sharing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just forgot watching this episode that they left it to the very last second to get that reveal, and they let you a lot of what is this guy's deal in the meantime? Yeah, as you're seeing him being such a tough guy with his knives and his bore wrangling skills, and then you see him being such an ineffectual nothing in the flashbacks, right, and then oh well he's I see the island has changed him a bit, has it not?
Speaker 3: Soon?
Speaker 1: That's really nice acting from Terry O'Quinn on all the different levels, levels that we know about and levels that we don't, and right, right, and then that eventually that they don't and we do. Interesting and he apparently has some sort of encounter with the Invisible Monster that he's not going to be about yet, right, and.
Speaker 4: He comes back with a bore which unclear if it was the baby or the mom. Yeah, because he was talking about how you know, if the ones we saw were just the baby, it's so right.
Speaker 1: So but whatever he brought, he brought home the bacon quite literally. But Charlie caught a fish. It didn't look like a fish. You would have gotten that close to shore. So I don't know where the proper right that came from, but you go, man, However, it looks like all these drugs are gone.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, I on the parenting point of view, I just my heart went out to Jack. Wasn't he just like a mom? Because you were doing a million things to like everybody and safe, and people are going, hey, maybe you.
Speaker 2: Want to give a little speech.
Speaker 1: Hey maybe you want to go talk to her. Hey, maybe you want to do this, you want to do that?
Speaker 3: She's like something.
Speaker 1: Everybody take a nap in a moment.
Speaker 4: Exactly, Mom needs a minute.
Speaker 5: You guys, really, you're all adults. You can do things yourselves. Do I have to do everything exactly just because I step forward and say, hey, I'll do it right, this is the problem.
Speaker 2: Sure, he was like enjoying his sitting with Rose, just.
Speaker 3: Because all he had to do was sit.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about a really long time. How are they all surviving there without him? How is nobody to buy? And said Jack, we need we have a list of fifty crises for you to handle, could you right?
Speaker 4: Strolling back waiting for waiting for Claire to go into labor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh and then the uh that that little speech at the end, memorializing the dead made you think, what do I have in my belongings?
Speaker 3: Anybody he could use.
Speaker 1: To put together a better eulogy for me than she wore corrective lenses corrective lens.
Speaker 2: Right, she was from Teck, New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Everybody talk a little something personally next to your driver's license, just in case, a little speak somebody to give for you. Well, and Rose thinks her husband is still alive, that there's another part of the plane somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And.
Speaker 1: ABC executive was going, oh, really, another part of the plane somewhere, You say, hmm. They put that line in the script just just in case you got to hit here, you guys, and we need to explore, just just go the plans is here, probably means nothing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I winced when I heard that.
Speaker 2: I mean, she did kind of have a point, like, well, they think.
Speaker 3: We're a dead right, so.
Speaker 4: To say, there's some other little island somewhere with the other hat.
Speaker 1: That's right, and they are holding a bonfire for us, and yeah, you know, well not so much a bonfire as a peer. What do you call that pire? Yeah, burning bodies fire right, roast some war over that, and uh, when you're stuck on an island, your babysit sitting choices are limited. You have to go with the lady who only speaks Korean? Does that?
Speaker 2: I mean, buddy, there's many other people there.
Speaker 4: I guess he feels like he has some kind of connection with her because he saw her naked.
Speaker 2: Like, what what are you doing?
Speaker 3: I don't understand. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She just seems nice. I guess she looked kind of big in her sweater cardigan.
Speaker 4: Yes, I thought that was funny, Like, of all these people, Well, it's what is the can you say the law of.
Speaker 3: Economy of characters? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yes, you can't. We can't take one of those extras because then we'd have to pay him extra. It has to be one of the core cast. Pick pick somebody from this limited Here is your Listen Kate's Kate's going out boar hunting, and uh, Clara's busy planning the memorial and Shannon, No, don't leave him with Shannon.
Speaker 3: No, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Probably the person who speaks no English is a better choice than that. But I mean he could have just left her with left him with Rose. He wasn't gonna be any trouble just sitting there, right, Can.
Speaker 2: You just sit here next to her?
Speaker 3: Don't don't move unless she moves?
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh dear, you know what you make the best of what you got.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. And what you've got is gored by a.
Speaker 2: Bore my end. Michael, there you go.
Speaker 1: So you're trying to go out and impress your son and instead get a tusk to the thigh.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh man, Yes.
Speaker 1: And then let's see Sawyer is continuing to be just the baddest and most annoying dude possible. Right, I hope I'm not spoiling you for anything thing by saying it's going to be more dimensionus to that guy, No, what shocking takes a right? And uh sayid is doing all sorts of mechanical stuff that I don't understand, and night Kate unhealthily drops his contraption from the tree when the Invisible Monster goes by.
Speaker 3: R and is now in trouble.
Speaker 1: Oh. Yes, she didn't give them any excuses. She just gave them the broken things. She could have said, Hey.
Speaker 3: I know, she could have said, like, look up.
Speaker 1: In a tree trying to plant your stupid device when I was almost killed by whatever they heck that thing is right, But no, she's just like, oops, here you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't understand that either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she could have. She could have it provided more explanation, I think, But maybe it just goes without saying that if something breaks on the island, it's because supernatural forces uh intervened are about yep, I don't want them finding the transmission. Do you remember the first time through if you were surprised by the reveal, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I was.
Speaker 2: I mean I never figure that kind of stuff out.
Speaker 1: But they were really really good about You just think he is just this ineffectual, poor little gray person who is never going to make anything of his life and gets this idea that he's going to do this ridiculous thing right, and then oh, at that last minute reveal is like, w so much stuff you know now falls into place. Yeah, so just uh, really well done. I mean the first thing where you see and then the flashback and he's talking like he's in the military, and then it turns out in the case he's playing. Yeah, and he thinks he's going to go on a walk about, which is conveniently why he had the knives. So yeah, really cool, really well yeah, and sort of the start of the real story of the island, which is, well, I guess we already had the invisible Monster, but you know, stuff ain't right right, Sure, isn't just a beach right, All sorts of stuff is gonna go down. It's funny seeing how we've discussed how many characters there are, how they try so hard to service everybody. I mean, Boone just like walked across the screen like three or four times getting something for somebody. We have nothing to do with you this week's Son, So we're just every now and then you're gonna fetch something, okay.
Speaker 3: And yell at hit who usually deserves being yelled.
Speaker 1: Because she has nothing to do really but to stand around and yell. And maybe that's why Son wound up being the babysitter because it's like, oh no, we have nothing for her. Okay, what can she do?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Well she yeah, here we go. It's hard.
Speaker 1: I know, there's a lot of people, a lot of action, but still a lot of people. I think they're gonna send an extra person into the jungle. There was supposed to be three people to distract and then look.
Speaker 3: I know I thought that that was not enough.
Speaker 1: They has scraped up another actor who wants an action scene?
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, I didn't get that, Like.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be the one that gets killed early on?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Contract?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: So what is the uh what is the title for the next episode?
Speaker 2: Let's see the.
Speaker 1: Next episode is white Rabbit? I think that maybe a Charlie episode, or it might be Jack. Could be Jack? Yeah, Jack is Also we should mention seeing a guy in a black seating in the jungle. Yes, and it's.
Speaker 3: Very clean, white shoes.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you know he hasn't been Yes, you know around and of course you run into he runs into the jungle and nobody's there. So is he losing it? Oh my gosh, what happens if Jack's losing it?
Speaker 3: Mom can't lose it.
Speaker 1: That's right, Mom's got a hold it together. U.
Speaker 3: Let's see.
Speaker 1: Yes, the next one is a Jack flashback episode and about darn time. What is that guy's deal?
Speaker 2: Is he always disorganized?
Speaker 1: Is he always h the one in charge?
Speaker 3: Capable? And who is that guy he's.
Speaker 1: Seeing in the jungle? Is it just a random dude? Somebody he's saying? What the heck is that person doing here?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna guess the latter kind of looks that way?
Speaker 1: Done it just? Oh? Is that another survivor?
Speaker 5: But what?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we will find out more about that dude, both the real one and the one that appears out of nowhere next week. Good and we'll see you back here tomorrow for a weekly Roundabout roundup. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.