Speaker 1: On the go, NonStop gym sessions, deadlines, homework with Avonmore, soups, comforting, flavorful, taste, it all just hmmmm with a range of different flavors.
Speaker 2: We've been perfecting soup for over thirty years, so you can have a moment of delicious pleasure. So whatever it is, soup it with Avonmore.
Speaker 3: Marketing is hard, but I'll tell you a little secret. It doesn't have to be. Let me point something out. You're listening to a podcast right now and it's great. You love the host, You seek it out and download it. You listen to it while driving, working out, cooking, even going to the bathroom. Podcasts are a pretty close companion. And this is a podcast ad? Did I get your attention? You can reach great listeners like yourself with podcast advertising from libs in ads. Choose from hundreds of top podcasts offering host endorsements, or run a pre produced ad like this one across thousands of shows to reach your target audience and their favorite podcasts. With libsynads, go to libsynads dot com. That's l I B s y n ads dot com Today.
Speaker 2: Maining a live man like this man letting butterfly flapping his wing. Dig down in the forest. Man, it gonna cause the tree fall, letting five thousand miles away.
Speaker 4: Man, nobody see nobody else.
Speaker 5: You don't need no man, you don't like you followed the little story and you got dicted like that.
Speaker 1: Man, go back and dang.
Speaker 5: On the panel.
Speaker 1: Man, no matter.
Speaker 4: Man. All right, Jeremy Slate, Welcome to Jay Burton Show. How are you doing? Man?
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm doing great.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You and I got connected relatively recently on social media and we're going back and forth and you sent me another interview you'd done. And it's always fun when you listen. You're listening to someone for the first time and you're thinking, like, oh, he's this is good, but he's got to mention to this, and then three seconds later you bring it up and like, ah, my man, he knows exactly what he's talking about. I mean, look, that's how you should judge anyone. Do I agree with them, Yes, they must know what they're talking about. But in all serious disband it was a great interview. And so if you could, could you introduce yourself to my audience? Well, who are you and what do you do?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So I'm the CEO of a company called Command Your Brand, and for the past ten years we've been placing our clients on high level podcasts. And then I guess, in terms of what I've been talking about in the last couple of years, my master's going back almost twenty years now, is in early Roman Empire propaganda. I actually studied the propaganda of Augustus, but in the in the last two years, I've really been looking at a lot of trends that have been happening, you know, in the US, in Europe. And one of the major things I've looked at is I've become very good at pattern recognition and I have two different channels that I talk about this on. The first is called Hidden Forces in History, and we look at kind of the power structure behind history.
Speaker 5: We look at banking things like that.
Speaker 6: And my other channel is called the Roman Pattern, which is really the main thesis. I talk about the three main things that cause a civilization to collapse. And it doesn't mean that you know, hey, we are Rome, but it means that a lot of the same things that they were doing. If you look at different civilizations collapsing, they do a lot of similar things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there are several things there. One i'd almost be not to say more interested, but quite interested to talk about your degree. I'd sort of dabble in the classics. And one of the major conclusions from reading Virgil is that the idea is it's kind of like the you know, the internet meme, like we wis kings. You know, it's sort of this like revisionist history to explain how we actually not only is the Roman Empire super cool and awesome, but also it's connected to the Trojan War. And okay, look, there's a lot more to it than simply that, but it is a very interesting element of that document that isn't often discussed, at least in common circles.
Speaker 6: Well, the thing that's interesting about it too is if you look at Augustus, you know, he's coming in as the republic's kind of fading out, but he's trying to convince people that a republic still exists because Rome naturally hated kings. They traditionally, before becoming a republic, had seven traditional kings, and so the idea of kingship was very much hated in Rome. So he had to convince people he was not a king but still put himself in a very similar position. He kind of uses like a really interesting word salad to do that. But one of the things that he does is he puts a big attention on literature and the ane. It is actually one of the things that he commissions to be written, and Virgil, when putting it together, actually towards the end of his life, doesn't finish the Enea, and in his will he wanted the work destroyed if it was left unfinished, and Augustus actually manages to stop that because hey, he wants this epic to show you know, just how important Rome is and tie it to something great like the Trojan War. But really it's a masterful piece of propaganda in order to tie the Romans to something that existed long before them and also tie themselves to like a royal lineage, because the character of Eneas is very interesting. He leaves the Trojan War with his father Ascanius on his back and walks across Italy and ends up in a city called Alba Longa, which is later going to found the kingdom from which Rome comes from, because Romulus and Remus are from Alba Longa. So it's a really interesting tie in to kind of give this mythical East Ethos to the Romans and what they're coming out of.
Speaker 4: Well, and the deep irony of that is you see Roman itself become the founding myth for any number of other societies, right, like the the Czars say, well, we're kind of the Romans, like Kaiser Caesar like that. There's the similar I say, Cope, I don't mean to say that aggressively, but creative interpretation of history. You see with the Germans and even.
Speaker 6: Even the Third Reich, right, the third exactly is the Reich comes from the German word meaning kingdom. It's the third kingdom. The first kingdom is the Roman Empire, the second is the Holy Roman Empire. And Hitler thought the third Reich would be the third great German Kingdom.
Speaker 4: Well exactly. And you're speaking about the patterns of history, these foundational myths, Okay, sure, are they literal history in the sense that you could find all the archaeological justification. No, But functionally they are the thing which ties an empire and nation together, the story you tell yourself about yourself.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that I've noticed about America, and I think part of the reason why things have gotten so weird and so crazy. Is that the most recent version of our myth? There have been several, Right, obviously you have the American Founders. There's sort of a modification with Jackson. Then you know, the Civil War becomes the kind of central founding of another republic, sort of stacked on top. But really, for the last eighty years it's been, you know, the story of World War Two. And you see that echoed every time we pick a fight with someone, right, slivanon Malasovich is, yeah, he's basically Hitler, and Saddam Hussein he's basically Hitler. And you know that myth was very powerful. It you know, sort of propelled us through almost one hundred years. But as it sort of starts to weaken, it seems as if there is no really cohesive narrative about what we are coming into you build on it or take its place. And so I'm curious. One of the things that you were speaking about your comments on Rome is you know that an addition to currency debasement, which we will get back to, one of the other things that sort of brought about the end of Rome was the weakening of borders. And so before we get into that, it's probably best to describe, well, what is a citizen? So if you could, could you describe what a Roman citizen was and how that's different from our conception of citizenship and modernity.
Speaker 6: Well, so it changes a lot, and that's I think something that's important to understand because if you look at initial citizenship in Rome, and we're going back to the kind of the mid republics, we're looking like three hundreds four hundreds BC, and if you look at that, it's initially people that are in Rome and kind of the territories very close to that, and it's going to be a real issue for kind of the Italian states outside of Rome that they don't have citizenship. And if you get towards the Late Republic, this is one of the things that Marius, the great military reformer, is going to push for. He's going to push for citizenship for the Italians, and eventually that will get out to the point that it's called the struggle of the Orders, which kind of brings us to this citizenship for the Italians. So now citizenship applies not just to Rome and the territories are very close to, but also to all Italian states that are kind of part of Rome. And the way Rome expanded during the time of the Republic is it wasn't initially from taxes. It was we conquer you, we put a government in place, you give us soldiers, and we'll kind of leave you alone. So Rome was able to expand by bringing in these new territories that would fight for Rome, and by serving in the legions. It's initially twenty five years, it's in the later Empire it's going to be closer to thirty years. You could gain citizenship, and what that would mean is it's citizenship for you, your family, your children. So you would start to have more Roman citizenship in these territor tories. Now if you get into the mid Empire, so around like to twelve, Caracala is going to give citizenship to thirty million people overnight. It's very debated why he did this, but it's thought that the reason he did it is in order to be able to tax the inheritance of these new citizens, because anyone in a Roman territory paid about five percent tax, whereas a Roman citizen paid ten percent tax. Now you also got some goodies for that, like you know, if you look in the Bible of Saint Paul, one of the reasons he's able to travel so much is because he has Roman citizenship. It's kind of like having a golden passport in a lot of ways. And then there was also something called the grain doll that every citizen was allowed to have a certain amount of grain supplied to them by Rome. So you do get a lot of these benefits. And it's also the ability. This is going to change a lot in the Late Empire because around two eighty four the Empire becomes a lot more you know, hard rule, a lot more autocratic in a lot of ways. But in the early Empire you could redress your a grievances directly to the emperor, like it was something as a citizen you had a right to do. So citizenship did have a ton of value, but there were also various forms of citizenship. They would be citizenship with the vote and citizenship without the vote. So it was kind of a very interesting thing to be a Roman citizen. And it's hard to define really what makes a Roman and this is there was a big debate on X a few months ago between one of my favorite follows, by the way, go follow this guy if you're not a Roman helmet guy and Elon Musk about you know, what is romanness and how is that changing? You know, Rome had always been very cosmopolitan, and I guess that's the issue of how do you define what a Roman is? Because if Rome expanded into your territory took you over and you were there long enough, well you became very Romanized because people wanted to be like Rome because there was a lot of goodies you got for having that. So that's kind of one issue. Now, the thing you're going to start to see is as currency starts to break down in the late Empire, and as these generals that were declaring themselves emperor care more about their civil wars between each other than their borders, you start to get these enclaves developing on the borders that are living with the Roman territory. They're not really being Roman, and you start to have this kind of loss of a shared reality. So I think that's one of the major things that you're looking at as an empire breaks down, is there starts to be this loss of a shared reality and then people kind of aren't playing the same game.
Speaker 5: If that makes sense, well, definitely.
Speaker 4: And one of the other things my Roman history is a little spotty so I might be wrong on this plus or minus one hundred years. But one of the other things that I think is interesting looking back at Roman history is the relationship between effectively like ownership and citizenship. Right. You know, this is the you know, the I mean a lot of the controversies that led up to you know, the eventual birth of the empire. Right, But you have this founding idea, however, imperfect, that we are a collection of effectively kind of Yeoman farmers, right that you know, we are people who you know, certainly fight, but you know, a Roman is tied to a piece of land and that is sort of his right. You know, this is an idea that runs all the way through the West.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Even the American founders liked this idea. You know that the British, I guess before they were even the British did as well. And it's one of those things that as that system falls apart, partially due to the influx of slaves, but also to let's be honest again, kind of the rise of you know, relatively speaking, high finance, that connective tissue goes away, and so you have we could say, like genetic Romans with really nothing, right that become these sort of like welfare sponges you have, So they have no tie to the land anymore. They don't really own a stake per se in the empire or even you know, the state of Rome past the Dole and an incredible influx of people who are looking to get a piece of that, right, And I mean you don't have to be a genius to look around and say like, wait a minute, I've seen this one before. Yeah, and so we've been talking about this a lot, So let's just kind of set the framework here. Where does this currency debasement come from? Like how was it done? Literally? And also like what what's the advantage? Why would you make your coins worthless?
Speaker 6: Well, I want to touch on the other point first before I jump on currency, because that's a really pertinent point. And if you look at you know, we talked about Rome being a kingdom, so it's traditionally in the West, because you know, the East, the Byzantine Empire, they still would have considered themselves Romans. It has three eras in time. It's a kingdom first in seven fifty three, then it becomes a republic in five h nine, and an empire sometime. This is debated, but sometime between thirty one and twenty three BC. So one of the things you're going to have change in the last one hundred years of the Republic is there's a guy named Gaius Marius, and he's a very famous military reformer of Rome. Actually, the Roman eagle standard is something that he creates. It's something that he actually adds to the Roman military. Before Marius, Rome had been very much a citizen soldiery. He actually starts to create more of a class of professional soldier. So that is very much a difference in how Rome is going to start to function. And he mentioned people not being tied to land after the Punic Wars and after the reforms of Marius. This is going to be something that's debated for a long time. And it's actually one of the biggest reasons that Julius Caesar in the Late Republic is a to get the support he's able to get because he wants to take land that Pompey has gained through conquest and give it to veterans, because those veterans would come back and they'd have nothing to come back to because their land might have been sold in the time they were gone. Because people might have expected they died, so you'd have a lot of these military men come back with no purpose, nothing to come back to, and Caesar thought we should give them land. So this is something that's actually debated quite often, is what do we do with these people that don't have any land?
Speaker 5: And it's one of the major.
Speaker 6: Reasons that the optimatees, which is the very high end political class, create a struggle with Caesar's political class, which is the popularies or the kind of party of the people. So that's something that has been a problem for a very long time and actually one of the things that causes the Republic to become an empire.
Speaker 4: Well on that point, and sorry, sorry, I.
Speaker 5: Totally at the basement point, but I couldn't miss that.
Speaker 4: The problem is I want to get to it, but we keep coming, we keep touching on things that are really interesting. I'm sure the comments will be very kind to us for it.
Speaker 6: But in all seriousness, always ripped me apart and tell me I don't know anything about anything, but what are you gonna do?
Speaker 4: But look, I've built a brand on not particularly knowing anything about anything, so you know they're used to it. But in all seriousness, one of the other things that I think is an interesting parallel is the degree to which slavery massively increased inequality in Rome. Now you could look at that and say, no, shit, slaves are not equal to a guy with a bunch of stuff. Sure, hey, that's true. But also cheap labor effectively allows capital to be much much more productive. Right when when you combine that with credit, right, which is obviously helped along by currency debasement, an unequal distribution of wealth that is becoming more and more unequal, and then the cheap labor to take that land and make it into something productive. Oh wait, and also a massive scheme of you know, government contracts, whether that's for grain or weapons or anything else. And not only do you start to see the parallel, but it's like, well, it's no shock that that created an unstable system because that is going to massive Well take an unequal system anyway. You know. Look, we're not communists, but I think we can all say that, you know, even at its most liberal, Rome was not exactly, you know, not exactly an equal system.
Speaker 6: Well, it was more of an oligarchy if anything, because about ten ten percent it's it's a republic, but like ten percent of it is literate and it's about the same you know, five to ten percent that's actually running things.
Speaker 5: So you're not wrong by saying that.
Speaker 4: Right, And it basically takes those contradictions or takes those tensions and ratchets them up, right. So, I mean you know that you have this system. Was it the lat of Fundia, right, the kind of like these massive farm abs into Yes, these like massive.
Speaker 6: Well because the rich would actually it wasn't even just that, like you'd had a lot of fundia, but you also had rich people. And this is one of the things Caesar got upset about, which just start farming public land because no one would stop them.
Speaker 4: I mean, at a certain point you always have to like admire the balls it took to do it right, Like like if you just set up a farm in a public park, I don't know, it's not good, but you know there's something at.
Speaker 6: That point in time, if you hold the power, who's gonna stop you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? True, true, But I want to go back to the specific currency and it's not just like my special interest is, you know, not some gold buck or something. But it matters more than it than you would assume on sort of initial impression right, So if you could describe, like one, what is the temptation in this why do rulers constantly go to this option? Like what does it get you? And then when do we really start to see that becoming a problem in Rome?
Speaker 5: Well, why why do they do it? Because it's intoxicating.
Speaker 6: It lets you spend money that you don't have, which is which is pretty incredible. And I guess a good example of this is the denarius, and the silver denarius was kind of the main coin that would be used in most transactions. And as the denarius starts to devalue, people are going to start hoarding gold and that becomes a problem that there's not gold in circulation. So the gold the silver coin of the first century in Augustus, that's about ninety five percent pure. By the late third century, in the two eighties, it's like five percent pure. This is this here is a silver coin of the late third century, very rare to find because there just weren't as many. But this is Valerian who was actually captured by the Persian shah Shahpoor the first and actually used as a footstool the rest of his life. And then this is a bronze coin of a relion. This would have been kind of the standard. A bronze coin would be used every day.
Speaker 5: So what would.
Speaker 6: Happen is they would basically add other base metals to those coins, and over time you kind of got to the third century where that bronze coin that I just showed you would be bronze and kind of had like a piece of silver foil over top of it that would wear off in your hand over time. So how did it happen. There's a few different things that kind of lead to this that so I apologize for kind of all the kind of back end work. I'm here to kind of set it up. But if you look at the you know, as we have the Great Fire of Rome in sixty four a d and Nero needs to pay for a lot of things, so he'll start some currency to basement, So you're going to see the value start to drop during Nero. It holds pretty stable until the death of commonas in one ninety two. So we went from sixty four to one ninety two, almost one hundred and fifty years with a pretty stable currency. Now, the thing that's going to change in that year is it's the year of five Emperors and the last one that comes in, because basically they'd cause the civil war, they would declare themselves emperor. And you have it at the last one, the second to last one, the fourth one of those is basically going to buy the auction by the empire and an auction from the Praetorian art twenty thousand cissirces. He now owns the empire. So you're going to have a military commander out on the Danube named so timmya Severus, he's actually from North Africa who's going to come in replace that emperor, declare himself emperor and do it by military force. And the pattern he uses is something that the emperors will after him will pattern the rest of the empire. The thing that he does is when a new emperor came in, he would do something called the donative. It comes from the Latin word meaning to give. And that donative was a gift to the military. So he took from probably about twenty years before Marcus Aurelius at that point in time, gave the largest donative to the Roman military ever. So he takes that and go is way bigger than Marcus Aurelius did. So now he gives this giant gift to the military. He also doubles military pay, and then he also doubles the size of the allegiance. He takes the praetorian guard replaces them all with his own men. And now that's something that each emperor after him is going to do. They're going to enlarge the allegiance, double their pay, and give this huge donative gift to them when they become emperor. I'm trying to remember the quote offhand, but when Severus is on his deathbed, he says to his sons Caracala and Gaeta, enriched the soldiers and forget all others. And that's kind of the pattern that emperors after them will continue to apply. So that's really the key thing that starts currency to basement is you have this new brand of emperor. It's not quite sever Its. It's going to get the name. It's a little bit later on in two thirty five you're going to have a guy named Maximinus Thras that's actually fit considered to be the first of what are called the barrack emperors or military emperors declaring themselves emperor. But it really is applied off this pattern that Severus creates and every emperor after him is going to create So in the period of the Third century Crisis, which is two thirty five to two eighty four, you're going to have like twenty six different emperors and they're each going to apply that same strategy of large donative, give a higher pay raise in large the legions, because that's where their power base comes from. And you're going to get to the point of two eighty four, when the crisis finally ends and a guy named Diocletian takes over that they're at fifteen thousand percent inflation, and that's really how they get there is just military spending. Now, all of these other things are going to exasperate it, like the grain dole or Caracala giving out citizenship to thirty million people in two twelve, So these things are going to exasperate it. But it's really that pattern that's created by Severus that emperors after him continue to apply.
Speaker 4: So one of the things that I'm I'm curious about is so friends of the show the Good Old Boys have been going through a long retrospective on HBO's Rome, which I might add I've actually never just rewatched.
Speaker 6: By the way I watched it, like twenty years ago when it came out. I literally just finished rewatching about two weeks ago.
Speaker 4: Well, well, fair enough, and I haven't watched it. It's basically just a podcast about Roman history with a thin veneer of talking about a TV show in the background, which I appreciate. But you know, in the background constantly through this, you know, because Caesar is returned from Gaul, are these these massive slave auctions and this represented obviously a huge influx of capital and money into Rome. So how and free of me this is no really broad question, but how do these conflicts in Rome affect the sort of like effective inflation rate? Because it seems as if there's so much money, there's so much value flying around that that would lead to asset inflation. Right if the conversion rate from a I don't know a house to a slave I'm pulling these numbers out of thin air was like two to one, Right, you could buy a house for two slaves. Well, if all of a sudden you've brought back you know, however, many tens of thousands caes are brought back, it seems that you know that ratio would change. So to what degree was there inflation simply from the sort of like spoils of war.
Speaker 6: So I don't really know the answer to that, but I can tell you one of the things that continues Rome to be able to expand as the continual military conquest and the Roman Empire is going to reach its furthest extent in one seventeen AD under Trajan, and you're going to have kind of smaller movements after that. But for the most part, the empire stops expanding. You know, Severus will spend some time in Britain trying to ensure things there. In the one twenties, you're going to have Hadrian builds the wall to try and keep the picks out, But for all extents and purposes, Rome stops expanding after one seventeen AD. There will be smaller territorial ads, but for the most part, this kind of machine that keeps kind of grinding up everyone, you know, further and further out stops. And I think that's a really key point because one of the things that allows Rome to do what it does is it is continually bring in more territory and more wealth. Once that stops, that's going to be a major change in how things operate, right, because you're no longer bringing the gold and the silver. You know, you have your silver mines in Datia which are kind of out towards the Balkans, but those silver mines actually go dry I think in the third century, in the early third century. So now you have this ability to get wealth changes dramatically. So I think that's a really key point. Is I don't know as much about how slavery would cause inflation, though you know it is something that continually to come into the empire. But I can tell you that the territorial expansion ending in one seventeen is a major major point of no longer continue to bring in new wealth.
Speaker 4: All right, fair enough so, And honestly, look, man, I'm that was a question I was curious about the answer to.
Speaker 5: But I don't know something.
Speaker 4: No, I appreciate it. Look, my preparation for you on this show was what's your schedule tomorrow? Right, Yeah. So one of the things that we mentioned earlier I want to actually get into is the way in which inflation increases sort of the power of the moneyed interests, right, And you know, part of that has to do with who gets the newly inflated money first. Also, you know, if your wealth is stored in liquid assets, Inflation is much less of a problem for you than if you just own a house or a farm. So how does this sort of inflation that we see, whether in Rome or you know, in the West, affect normal people? Right? How does it sort of shift the balance of power in a society.
Speaker 6: So that's the one problem we have with history, and I'm going to be totally honest with you here. We don't know as much about what regular people are doing. And that's one of the real struggles because the people writing the history are the people that are educated and the people that do have wealth. So we can surmise, but it's hard to know exactly what their life is like. And I think when you're looking at even when Rome quote unquote falls, it really just transitions. It doesn't fall in four seventy six. The life of someone living in four seventy six and five hundred in Roman.
Speaker 5: Territory is a poor person. Their life wouldn't have changed that much.
Speaker 6: You know, when Rome goes from republic to an empire, the regular person, their life wouldn't really have changed that much. So I think that's something to understand is you have to look at the things they would have cared about. You know, disease is a huge problem. There'll be plagues continually sweeping through. You have the Antonine plague in the one sixties that kills about ten percent of the Empire. You have the Aciprian plague in the mid third century that kills an enormous amount of people.
Speaker 5: So they're worried about disease.
Speaker 6: They're worried about gambling, which was actually something that happened a lot because people would earn money and they'd lose it in the either a chariot race or something like that. They're worried about their children dying. You know, death rates of children were extremely high. The family of the two Grochai brothers in one thirty three, I believe their mother had eleven children and the two boys were the only ones surviving. So death rates of children were really high. So for them, they're just worried about survival. For them, it wouldn't have changed that much.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: One thing I can tell you is as currency debasement changes, the marketplace itself is going to change. So what you do start to see is people not being willing to at first take the correct number of coins because they know the coin is worth less, so they're going to require more. They actually get off coinage and they start trading in a barter system. So that is something you're going to see in regular people, is when they know the coins lack value, they know they can't buy what they should, they're going to start bartering. And one of the things that Diocletian is going to do as part of his famous reforms from two eighty to three h five two eighty four to three oh five is he's going to issue something called the Edict of maximum Prices, because he doesn't want people overcharging for things which price controls them. They always work, trust me. And the other thing that he does as well is he tries to issue new coinage, but people still don't trust it because the purity of the coins have gone down so much. So the one thing I can tell you is that a barter economy becomes a really big part of it.
Speaker 5: It starts to form more of a black market.
Speaker 4: So moving to sort of more more modern examples, UH, inflation and these sort of economic terms are to be blunt, deliberately obfuscated. Right. There was a post that went viral and x a while back, and it was funny. He was making a point where the guy had calculated the Redneck CPI where since nineteen seventy he basically.
Speaker 5: Tracked the price grade game by the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of like a full sized pickup truck, long cut Copenhagen and thirty out six AMMO and like a few other things, right, and he basically came to the conclusion that, judging off of those assets alone, inflation was much much higher than sort of what it says on the tin right, the rate you would get from Wikipedia, for example. And similarly, I remember very distinctly during the Biden years when I was in school, the definition of what a recession changed. They just changed what words meant, and.
Speaker 5: So they also changed the definition of war too. That's been a fun one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, what Honestly, when you think about it, Putin with his special Military operation right in Ukraine, he was just ahead of the curve, you know, right there.
Speaker 5: Was to you later there was Andrew.
Speaker 6: I can't forget to remember his last name, but he did a video about every war since World War Two. Like the different name they came up for it, oh is special military action was police action. It was this we haven't liked declared a war since World War Two, but anyway, continue.
Speaker 4: No, no, and so I if you could, you could, I guess you speak to the kind of modern instantiation of of currency debasement, Like how dramatic of a problem is it? Is it simply the three percent a year you're told to assume, like when we actually dig into this, like what's the real story?
Speaker 6: So I think the hard part about that, And I don't know what the industries off are off hand, but when they calculate that inflation number, there's things like I think building materials is one of them that they don't include in the inflation number, Like things that would make it look really bad they don't include. So I think that's a really important point. And they're they're only looking at year over year. They're not looking at kind of a long term where we're at. And I think a really easy example of that is I went to the grocery store the other day and it was like nine to ninety nine for a pack of like the crap bacon, Like that shouldn't be the case. You know, that was two ninety nine, four years ago, right, So I think when you're looking at it for the regular person, it's how you feel in the grocery store. But if you want to kind of get into the economics of it, the FED likes to call it quantitative easing, you know, QI one Q two. What that means is, hey, we printed more money, and the dollar in your pocket is now worth less. So it's like a tax you don't actually pay. It just means they increase the amount of money in circulation, but doesn't mean they actually ever printed any money. Like Romans would have loved this, that you could just go into computer create more ones and zeros and now more money exists. So I think the actual problem that we're dealing with is not quite the same as what Rome dealt with and how inflation works, because we have something like the Federal Reserve, which isn't federal, doesn't hold any reserves, and can kind of just change the amount of money in circulation and change the interest rate whatever they feel like. So our economy is very controlled in a lot of ways. And I think to me that's the major concern is most people don't feel inflation. They just think things cost more, and in the grand scheme of things, costs don't really change. It's the value of your money going down that make you feel like things cost more. So I think if you look modernly, that's the scary part. And even there's a story during the Weimar Republic of you right before World War two of some are I'm sorry, right before World War two, but somebody going with a wheelbarrow full of money to go buy a loaf of bread. By the time they get there, that wheelbarrow is not enough to buy the actual loaf of bread because inflation is moving so quickly. When you kind of get to that point from inflation to hyperinflation, somebody can't keep up, and that starts to become a real problem. And I think the way we do it now is more covert and almost more criminal in a lot of ways, because people don't feel it. It's not a physical coin in their hand that they can see is getting some or they can see the silver and bronze content is changing. It's something that they just go to the store and things cost more, and all of a sudden, their salary that they're getting can't pay for it. So I think that's modernly. The real problem is most people don't understand because they're so far removed from the process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and this is something it's always interesting to speak with with older people about this. You know, I had a buddy over last night who's you know, got an economics degree, very financially literate, and he was talking about, you know, conversation he had with his grandfather, right, someone in their mid eighties from kind of you know, rural Virginia. Not I mean, not to say a dumb person at all, but not really like a finance guy, to put it mildly, right, And in that conversation, you know, it came up that like, oh, you know, some social acquaintance you know, is making six figures a year. And he was floored. He's like, oh my, this, this guy's a superstar. He's amazing. You know, this is like a record setting event at some point, and we'll be making that kind of money, and especially if you live in an urban center. And look, that's still decent money, but that is not at all what it was twenty years ago, let alone ten. Right, And again the combination is for wage earners, you are behind the curve, right, you were hoping that your wages keep pace with inflation. We'll kind of understand that, not really because again, how that number is derived, and so proportionally you are getting poorer. You have the secondary condition, which is if every dollar at every moment is becoming less valuable, the incentives to hold on to cash are almost none. So it creates asset inflation because even if someone doesn't need the asset itself, well, they need somewhere to park their money.
Speaker 6: Are they're going to buy land or something that actually inflates in value and not a whole currency.
Speaker 4: Exactly, which creates a large demand for assets, some of which people need to live. So it's sort of this double edged sword where they kind of get you coming and going.
Speaker 6: Well, you even look at somebody like Bill Gates and he's putting most of his money into farmland because that's going to hold value and it's something that is going to produce more money for him because you've got to feed people, right. So I think that's one of the major issues is you look at where are rich people putting their money right now, and they're not putting it in currency. They're putting it in things that are physical things that if the economy crashes, they'll be totally fine. It's the rest of us that have our money and dollars and everything else. You know, Obviously, I don't put every dollar I have into gold, but we do buy gold, right because that is something that has been a store of value for a really long time, and if the economy does crash, we have something of value. And I think there is something to be said about that gold price is the way, I don't know if you've watched this at all, the way they've been going up over the last.
Speaker 5: Not even couple years.
Speaker 6: It's the last year has been insane that the value pronounce I think is it's over close to five thousand dollars, and they're saying, hey, by the end of twenty twenty six, it could be over six thousand dollars an ounce, which is insane. So I think, to me, that's the real indicator of how things are going is how quickly are people putting their money into physical assets versus actual US dollars or money markets or things like that. And for the regular people, you know, I think a good example too of looking at incomes across the country. In the US, they've they've started to put in these laws of higher minimum wages, which are a little insane. Where I think here in New Jersey, I think by twenty twenty seven we're supposed to be at like around twenty dollars an hour, which for an entry level job, businesses can't afford that. And what starts to happen is you push businesses then have to either use AI to replace people or go outside of the US in order hire people to actually run a business. You know, I remember, I'll be forty in year. When I got my first job out of college, I was making like seven to twenty an hour or something like that, And it just shows you how inflated rates are now that that twenty bucks an hour really isn't worth much, and you start to have give business as a decision of do I hire more people or do I find ways to automate or not use them because I can't afford them. So it's once again the middle to lower classes are the ones that suffer by inflation because businesses have to run and businesses have to try to figure out how to make a profit well.
Speaker 4: And honestly, it's an interesting parallel to the to the Roman example, because we have our own solution for cheap labor, and it is to legal immigrants, right, and you know those systems are similarly exploitative, right, I wouldn't particularly want to be, you know, an illegal from Honduras, you know, working in a meat packing plant, probably not getting paid or treated particularly well. But again, in times of inflation, and when you have this mass store of cheap labor, right, even if it's not morally correct, it's an understandable conclusion someone would reach. You can sort of map it out. And I think that it's another thing that sort of tilts the sort of the balance of power, if we could say that away from someone who's primary asset is their labor, right, someone who makes money through that, well, they are competing against the world. The wages for which they are working are decreasing in value. And yeah, sure that hits everyone to a certain degree, right, things are more expensive, But if you are primarily you make money from money, you get hit less because your debt. And you know, I'm by no means the most financially literate person, but I'm sure you're aware just being around rich people that they use debt in ways that you and I cannot. Debt is easier to repay, their money is in inflating assets, and so those are not necessarily problems for that class in the same way they are for you and I. Yes, the feature not a bug from that perspective.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that is the really difficult part, right because and I guess the tough part of that is like it's not like I hate rich people, right, but I think at the same time, it hits small businesses I think the most because those small businesses and small businesses, I believe is like anything. There's like thirty thousand of them in the country, so there is a lot of small businesses out there. Those are the ones that suffer the most because they can't pay that entry level work that they want to pay. It's kind of the larger conglomerate multinationals that it doesn't it actually makes the money, right because they'll figure out how to go to China or you know, go to other places where their money is worth more. So I think the struggle of it is it continues to hurt the minimum tower, middle to lower class a lot more because they're work can be replaced much easier, they're not as specialized, and that kind of you know, creates a problem that cascades and if you look at for a lot of us, we don't have the type of discretionary income we be able to trade in debt like people with a large amount of capital can do. They're kind of you know, the going from paycheck to paycheck a lot of times. So it does hurt your regular person a lot more.
Speaker 4: Well. And to that point because again, like I have nothing against rich people, which people are an important part of society. And I mean you see this in Rome, right, that there were certain expectations placed on the wealthy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, you know, maybe you put on a game, you put on a you know, an elaborate set of games. You know that the bread and circuses, right, just to seem cool to your friends. But I mean, you know that's at least something mildly pro social to do with your wealth. So there's, you know, something to be said for it. But one of the things that I've been really interested in as someone who has been kind of digging through the Epstein files, and I problem, I promise this connects more than it might initially see.
Speaker 5: It probably connects more and you think it does.
Speaker 4: But go ahead, is is that effectively the the rules that you and I were taught in high school or how this system works, you know, what are the rules of the game that It's not true at all? Right, it's a completely different operation. And you know, regardless of your individual particular take or interpretation of Epstein, the conclusion to me was, oh, okay, this is how government works, right, this we were watching sort of the sausage being made. And a particular figure I've been tracking through the Epstein files is Pete Mandelson, right, this kind of British version of a swamp creature. Right. And obviously you know there's salacious stuff in there, you know, he's incriminating photos. But what's particularly interesting about this is what he was at actually up to with Epstein, the kind of business side, right, not the personal stuff, which was basically massive insider trading, specifically as regards you know, the sale of British gold reserves and you know the the Greek bailout right, where these massive events, which were incredibly destructive were basically treated as sort of an opportunity to make some side cash. Right, those kind of massive course corrections in the world economy were effectively by the man making the decision used at an opportunity to enrich themselves personally. Yes, and I think that was sort of an interesting or sort of revelatory bit of information. It's like, oh, Okay, So all the stuff about why we needed to do this, why it was a good idea to sell off, you know, these gold reserves or to bail out Grease, It's like, well, those may or may not have been true, but also you were making a lot of money from that decision. So I don't necessarily believe you when you tell me this is why we had to do it. And so I'm curious, would you look at either Epstein or other kind of you know, major decisions like that, how much emphasis do you place on just the kind of naked fraud of it.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess the struggle for me is I'm somebody that I look at the front side of what you're being told and I never believe it's what you're being told. And this kind of comes from, you know, the things I study on my other channel, which is hidden forces in history. And if you even look at the you know, kind of break up under Martin Luther when kind of the Protestant churches come out. The one of the big changes that happens there is you have Pope Leo the Tenth, who's a Medici pope, and he comes up with this strategy because Saint Peter's has been unfinished for many years. It started under Julius the Second, but he wants to do this massive upgrade of it. So he has to come up with a way to make money. And what does he do. He sells indulgences and that's what indulgences were, basically these tickets out of purgatory, and that was one of the major things that was a motivating factor for Martin Luther's ninety five Thesiss. So if you look at kind of the power behind power, these are often the things that we don't talk about and throughout history, a lot of times it's banking interests, a lot of times it's geopolitical interests of a particular person, not of a particular country. So I think if you look at that, I'm always interested, well, what's the real story, right? Because they want you watching this hand. What's this hand doing? And I think that's the thing you really have to consider. Because even Mike Ben's has been talking about the Epstein network and kind of the monetary side of it a lot. You know, people hear about, you know, the sex scandals and everything else, and that's kind of I guess some of it's a distraction. But at the same time, if some of it is actually a currency that Epstein used, right, because he could get you to do a deal because you wouldn't want your information out there, right, I think that's something to take a look at even.
Speaker 4: Well, and honestly, yeah, like one other element I think about this, and this is sort of dark to say, but like it's also a phenomenal way to get access to people. Like we go back to Bill Gates and by the way, I have to give Bill Gates credit or in their emails being such a piece of work that you make Jeffrey Epstein look sympathetic, you know, by comparison. Yeah, you know, you read the background and of course there's the salacious stuff about him, you know, trying to dose his wife and all that stuff. You realized that these guys together are basically going on like jet setting, like sex tourism trips, and like, you know, okay, that's not really something I'm into, but like he was a party guy, right, And that's the phenomenal way to meet people and also ingratiate yourself when you're giving them access to something that is rare and difficult to access a little.
Speaker 6: Bit in that sense, even makes the point of like, can you imagine, like some of these guys would likely be very good at making friends, and somehow they're getting some of the most beautiful women on the planet. Right, So I think if you threaten somebody, you're gonna take that away from them. Well, all of a sudden, you get the political or economic decision you want in your favor. So I think it is really not that I think Epstein is a great guy, but like what he was doing is deviously ingenious, right, He's to kind of get access to the circles, you know, he's kind of like the guy bringing the drugs to the party, and he's he's able to get what he wants. And I think that's a really kind of interesting way to mess with world politics certainly.
Speaker 4: But sorry I interrupted you, Jeremy.
Speaker 5: I don't remember where I was going.
Speaker 4: This is wonderful podcasting, right, just like three levels deep of interruption. Uh, but we.
Speaker 5: Got pretty far off the points, so I don't know where I am.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Do you remember an hour ago when we were talking about Rome? But in all seriousness, right, we were talking about that sort of these hidden forces in history, right where the stated narrative sort of what it says on the ten and what's actually going on are two completely different things. And I mean it does again sort of go back to what we were speaking earlier about the kind of foundational myths, you know, something like Virgil, which obviously it has a great deal of artistic merit. You know, it is part of the Western canon for a reason. But you know he didn't just write that to write that, right, there was there was another way. Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 6: Purpose to it, and even if you want to I think a great example of this too is the Holy Roman Emperor Charles the Fifth. The way he actually becomes Holy Roman Emperor, there would be these seven prince electors that would basically decide who the next Holy Rome emper is going to be. So Charles the Fifth has this guy behind him. His name is Yokan Johann Fuga or Jacob Fuga, and Jacob Fuga is he starts as a kind of like mercantilist, but becomes becomes more of a banker lending money. Well, he actually bribes the seven prince electors, gets Charles the Fifth elected, and then every strange decision you don't understand in Charles the Fifth's life was something that was a benefit to Jakob Fuga, And I think that's the thing to understand when you look at power behind the power and you don't understand why a politician's doing what they're doing, you need to know who's behind them. And I think that's what it really comes down to, like who put them there. One of my favorite writers you see since passed on is a guy named Jim Mars, And Jim Mars would say about George W. Bush when you look at kind of like how did you get an office? He said, In Texas, we have a saying called the post turtle, where somebody's trying to play a joke and they put a turtle on top of a fence post, and you say, like how'd they get there? He said, George Bush was a post turtle. You don't know how he got there, but you just want to help the creature down. And I think when you look at politicians, a lot of times you get these people that aren't the best of us because they're more easily corruptible, that get in a position because they have people behind them that want to use them as the means to their own end.
Speaker 4: Well, perhaps the most pertinent example recently, in my mind is the rise of President Obama. Right, this guy who appears out of nowhere, bemingly out of nowhere, with no real history, you know, sort of parachuted into this role, and you know, as an Illinois State senator, he's giving a you know, a keynote speech at the DNC. You know, even before he you know, went past that, you're like, wait, I'm sorry that cut.
Speaker 5: Out for a little bit you did, but we got you back.
Speaker 4: Cool, Cool, I'll edit that out. I might edit that out. But point is again, right, it's the post turtle phenomenon. It's like, wait a minute, this doesn't make any sense on first viewing. Another great example is my favorite figure in American politics, former Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who again is just kind of an unfortunate woman on multiple levels, who seemingly right, should have no chance in a city like Chicago. And then you realize, oh, wait, she was friends with or she was sort of handpicked by the Obama DJ. Right, they basically dropped her in to you know, play some games they wanted to play. And once you know that, you're like, oh, this makes sense because on first viewing, you're like, who would vote for this woman. She seems to be, even by the standards of Chicago politicians, not particularly bright, not particularly charismatic, and plainly corrupt. And then you have that bit of information and you're like, oh, okay again. It's that gap between how you were told the system works, the sort of schoolhouse Rock version, and how human nature interacts with these sort of you know, complicated systems.
Speaker 6: Well, and that's why I think always finding the funding behind somebody is always the more interesting part. You even look at a lot of these nonprofits, there's a form that they have to fill out every year called a Form nine ninety, and that's kind of fun to see, well, who's giving the money to this nonprofit because it really kind of explains your world a lot more than you would understand. And I think if you look at kind of understanding your world is you want to know the forces behind things because what you're seeing really is play acting, really following the money and really going.
Speaker 5: Behind it and seeing, you know, who benefits.
Speaker 6: I think that's the bigger story because you even look at you know, emperors in Rome, the Praetorian Guard was responsible for protecting the emperors in Rome, but the man that was in charge of the Praetorian Guard, called the Praetorian Prefect, is really the most powerful man in Rome because seventeen, it's somewhere around seventeen emperors actually die because they're killed by the Preetorian Guard. Now that's going to change after Constantindi bans them in the three hundreds and creates something new. But it is really interesting to understand the power behind the power. I wrote a thread about a year ago trying to describe Obama kind of as the new Praetorian Prefect because that was the point in time when they were trying to annoy Kamala Harris's as kind of the next person, because it's like she came out of nowhere. Obama picked her. Okay, he said, she's fine, you know, now she can go on. But I think it's really interesting to understand, like who is the force behind what you're actually seeing. And if you even look at the second Emperor Tiberia, this is where you're kind of like Epstein connection comes in. He's a very creepy dude. At a certain point in time, he doesn't really want to rule Rome anymore. He goes off to the island of Capri and he has prepubescent boys nakedly swimming in a pool with him. He would call his little fishes and his praetorium prefects. To Janus is basically ruling Rome, and once Tiberius catches onto this, he has Jane is killed. But this is something that is really interesting when the power kind of peaks its head out.
Speaker 4: So if people are interested in this sort of information. Junto Magazine, who I've written for before, I know the guys who started it, have a really interesting series of tools on Junto dash Intelligence or intel rather, I'll link it in the description, But in it, not only do they have kind of a briefing right of what's happening, the kind of stories behind the stories, they also have a massive collection of different resources, whether that's like a scatterplot mixed with donations, FEC filings and so it's free, right. I'm friends with these guys. They're not paying me to say it. It's a very interesting website to spend some time on because one, it breaks down information that in a way that someone who's not particularly intelligent can understand, which I appreciate. But also because you start to see those networks, you're like, oh, these two organizations that I was I would have assumed had nothing in common. Oh well, they both got two hundred and fifty thousand dollars from the Koch Brothers. And regardless of your opinion on the Koch Brothers, you're like, oh, okay, that makes sense because when I see those two institutions saying the same things or pushing the same direction. Yes, you don't have to go tinfoil hat. You just look, oh well, they both got a fat check from the same guy, right, and you it sort of mass it sort of pulls the mask back from politics in that way. And you know, it's one of those things that I think that framework is very helpful or analyzing politics, analyzing current events, because it's one of those things that it will drive you insane, very very easily. It's so tempting and on certain level satisfying to get pulled into the kind of headline game right the like XYZ is mad at this and mad at that. But that information isn't actually particularly useful to you. Doesn't tell you how the world works, It doesn't inform your decisions in any meaningful way. But if you can step back, look at the system, look at how money and power flows. You can actually have a functional understanding of this system, because that functional understanding was not explained to you in Civics class.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that's the bigger part is history is actually in the ledgers and the checkbooks and in the records. It's not in you know, what people actually did, It's in what's behind them. If you even look at Joyus Caesar, you know Caesar did a lot of the things that he did is you know, he's born into a patrician family, so he's born into a family that has a great name, but his father lost all the family's money, so he's broke. So his entire career there's people like Marcus Crassis that are funding him. And a lot of the decisions that Caesar makes is because if I screw up here, I'm ruined. And if you look at that in history, a desperate man will make a lot of decisions that a brave man might not make. And I think if you understand the power behind things, you'll understand your history so much better than just kind of reading the history and taking it at face value, well one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to go back into a discussion of HBO's room. But like that, that trend is sort of brilliantly exemplified right when Caesar's sweating bullets and then they recover the Roman treasury, like, oh great, awesome, I can actually.
Speaker 5: Pay all I have money. We're in good shape.
Speaker 6: You know, if you look at why he goes into gall he goes into gall because he's broken.
Speaker 5: He needs to make more money.
Speaker 6: And if you conquer a bunch of land and he can keep a lot of the stuff there while you're not going to be broke anymore.
Speaker 4: Oh one hundred percent. So, Jeremy, we are fast approaching time. This has been a really interesting discussion. Where can people find.
Speaker 6: You so they can find me, I'm at Jeremy Ryan slay on x. My company website is command your brand dot com. And then my two channels that I have We're both on YouTube and rumble. We're Hidden Forces and History and the Roman pattern.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks, man, this is a ton of fun. I'll have to have you on again, maybe for a more structured conversation.
Speaker 5: Over the place.
Speaker 4: Look, man, that's what we do here. But as far as my stuff, the Jay Burdon Show, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, anywhere you listen to podcasts. This is what I do full time. If you want to support me, you can throw me a few bucks a month on Patreon, Substack or gum road. You hit the episodes early in ad free. I know the ads are irritating, but as we said earlier, thinks for getting expensive. So I do need to eat and ten ninety nine Bacon is not making it any easier. Also, you can check out our sponsor, Axios Remote fitness and coaching flues.
Speaker 3: Done.
Speaker 4: Lost a whole lot of weight back in the gym, certainly lost some progress there, but JD's programming is excellent. You should support him anyway because I like him and he has a good product. Again, Jeremy, there's a ton of fun. Man, Everyone at home, keep your head out. Good night,