Speaker 1: Steve Rivera and Jag and Salez. They have their eye on the ball on Tucson Sports Stag Yet Fox Sports fourteen.
Speaker 2: Fifty streaming live.
Speaker 1: I mean I heard radio app.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to IM on the ball here Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve, he's Jay. Now we have Henry with breaking news.
Speaker 1: Eye on the ball, breaking news on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 4: Team Mac has been named to the preseason All American AP first Team.
Speaker 3: No shock, and actually I am shot and appropriate. I am shot because he's playing for Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that's the national media would put an Arizona guy on the first team. But I think I sent a note to the to the sports information guys. You say, when was the last team Arizona had a preseason All America? Was it all the way back to Ricky honley Man?
Speaker 3: No, you know, it couldn't have been. But maybe who maybe what was?
Speaker 5: What was?
Speaker 3: What was Kadeem? He couldn't be first team?
Speaker 5: Right? Yeah, you might be wrong because he had his great season Teddy his senior year Teddy maybe Teddy, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's a good question. I think that there had to be something in the last forty years. I wouldn't know it. Does you the wrong guy? No, I don't think soon. It was not first team, That's what I'm saying. Does it say who sent that release out?
Speaker 4: It was on the Arizona football twitter?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, because maybe they'll put something together when they sent a press release on if they haven't already the last time this has happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't think one that I know for sure was a first team first game preseason All American. They've had first team All Americans. Well, but I'm talking about preseason going into the year. Somebody thought Lil Tate was a preseason All American.
Speaker 3: No, the funny thing about it, and maybe not funny is not the right word. But we talked to last week. They have four in the top one hundred, right, he's not number ten, twelve, thirteen. And if anybody was worth their chops on the voting thing, the AP voting thing, they've been doing a little homework and they know that Arizona has a player or two and had he not been a quarterback or a wide receiver, they never would have been on that list.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, put a high profile position.
Speaker 5: Right, and that and that's it. So I don't know. I mean, seriously, I do not know. I can't, off the top of my head think of.
Speaker 3: No you would know, you would know, And this stuff you don't forget. Yeah, because you don't forget this stuff you forget named. But yeah, this tuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I don't And I mean I can't think of when I like again, Ricky Hunting was a two time All American, so I imagine he was the first team All American, you know, going into a preseason All American, going into a senior year after that. I don't know. I just don't know.
Speaker 4: So anyways, Noah Fafita and t Mac have anue nil sponsorship with Allarian Aviation, a private jet and charter flight service.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I saw a video on Twitter for them walking out. Now, Okay, here's the here's a weird thing. And it's been spotted right other people asking they both got these backpacks on and the back of Noah fa Fita is bad backpack. It looks and I don't think it is, but it looks like the Iowa the Ohio state logo. I can't imagine that that it is that I don't know what it is. But it's a little too fuzzy to to see what it is. But somebody actually asked, is that the Ohio state logo? I know, I know his backpacks. I don't know what it is. Somebody out there knows what that logo is. Would love to hear that or send us a text or something, because it it doesn't I don't know. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: The Cole Dollan scored four goals yesterday to lead Arizona to a five nothing went over Pacific to improve to two and l on the season.
Speaker 3: I think she has like five or six goals.
Speaker 5: Now already she's leading the country.
Speaker 3: But five, when you get four in a game, that's pretty pretty tough. Pretty good? Was that? So the Pacific? That was a regular Okay, just starting to think they play NAU. She's a she's a graduate senior. I think she's Yeah, home game is I think this week? Sometimes I'm trying to go to the way okay.
Speaker 5: Oh. I was confused as we talked about the Grand Canon game. I thought Grand Canyon was an exhibition. The exhibition was against UNLV, So yeah, so they beat Crank Canyon one zip and then Pacific three zip and as you said Northern Arizona on Thursday here in Tucson.
Speaker 4: So all right, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy has told his players to quit asking for more money, and that's the negotiation period is over and now we are playing football.
Speaker 3: Did you see this?
Speaker 5: Did you see this?
Speaker 3: It was fantastic because only he could pull the action. Only but he pulls this off in a dramatic type of way. He's saying that now some of the guys are coming up and can I need more money? No, no, no, no, you have to play football. Your agents had their chance. Now it's your my guys, after the season, we'll talk. But now it's football time. And and I thought that was ron. I don't know how I would ask the coaches if I were to sit there, but I'm sure they'd run into the same issue because if it's happened there, it's happening everywhere. And you say, no, this is football time, and you have your chance to get as much mony as you could before you season started.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like it's like you're trying to negotiate your contract in the middle of the season.
Speaker 3: Correct, This has turned into a pro situation with and there and again showing up and there's no rules, Steve, no rules right.
Speaker 5: Like like you know, uh, and and again in the NFL, you know they you know again they you know, they do their contracts and stuff like that. But usually what you hear is that the season starts and both sometimes the player, often the the management will say, Okay, we're done negotiating contracts. We're playing football, and now we'll do this when the season.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this has happened yet, but I'm sure this will happen sometime soon. I'm gonna sit out. I'm gonna sit out. I'm not gonna play until I get this fixed.
Speaker 5: Well, then you know what, give me your scholarship and get the hell out of school and you're and you're academically eligible.
Speaker 3: If someone good at the level of a team ac or Noah, you're gonna be held hostage. You're gonna be held hostage because I know you said that just now. There's no way you're gonna say that to them because you can't. You can't afford to not to have them.
Speaker 5: I don't know, man. Here's here's because here's the here's the thing for me, when you think about it, A player like no he's all in, right, will accounts he's all in. So if you've got a guy who's not all in, that's a sign of that that it says that the money is more important to him than anything else, and you don't want that guy on your team.
Speaker 3: I know you mean to tell me there's not guys like that. I'm not saying here, but everywhere.
Speaker 5: Sounds like my Gundy has something right, No question that. Who're saying I want I want my money and he's saying it's time to play football. And if they say then I'm not playing, then he's going to say or if you're what he should say is all right, you're off the team, you're off the scholarship, you're out of here. Go find yourself another place to play. I think to me, that's the right thing to do. Well, it's it is. But we're two dudes in Tucson talking about it. Right, If it happens to you and me, then you're thinking, oh crap, now I need to make a decision. Well, okay, let me say that. Let me say it this way. Then if I heard that, no off of did that? Okay? If he if I heard that, he went to Brent Brandon and said I'm not getting enough money. I need more money or I'm not playing. I would want Brent Brandon to cut him. I really would steve.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 5: Go get the next guy that that's that's a cancer. That's a cancer that you can't let Do you have into your team?
Speaker 3: Do you have a lot of stuff? Do you have a lot of stuff? Henry? Okay? So good? So we have tough Okay, so we had we had the quarterback from last year.
Speaker 5: Give me who I'm Jay Jade Law.
Speaker 3: So Jadane Delare you hear that he's in trouble like what he was in trouble for. That's kind of big deal. That's a big deal. People in Texas didn't want him here. He's here. What are you saying?
Speaker 5: But that's different from him saying I don't want to play more money.
Speaker 3: But it's different in a different way, in a more serious way.
Speaker 5: Almost. I don't those two things aren't anything.
Speaker 3: But I don't know. If you have that guy, a guy who's been accused of this and that, and you're saying, oh, it's okay, he's he's our quarterback. You can let it play. And I said that before he wasn't the quarterback, right?
Speaker 5: He would have been gone, he would have been going one hundred percent agree with you, Steve. But but but but again.
Speaker 3: I hear you. No, let me say, I hear you. I'm not too far from what you're saying. But if he was crucial to the thing, You're not gonna get your money, guy, But you have to perform. You have to.
Speaker 5: And if he says I'm choosing not to play, I'm sorry, you gotta go. That's what I'm saying. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I'm saying if he if he says then then I don't want to play or I'm not gonna, you know, give everything I have, then I'm gonna say, well, then you're you're gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not. If if it's come to that, right, Okay, Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Okay, I don't disagree with that. Okay, it's gonna be tough.
Speaker 5: That's gonna be hard. No, it's gonna be really hard. You know what. One of the responses to you, I went on the thread, you know, Justin Spears was one who posted that about about theft and McMillan and I deal. And one of the one of the responses on there was that's gonna you know, that's gonna be a problem for the locker room or something like basically saying no, not not not in this new world. No guys are In fact, I think other players are going to say, good for you, that you get that you're going out there and get money.
Speaker 3: And again they played hard for them, right right. But you know, in fact, I think maybe it was a justin question today with the with the with the the new offensive coordinator baby baby denal bapers denal Bapers who said he hasn't been part of a team with this much togetherness ever. I mean, that's easy to say because you know, how do you check that? But we kind of believe that.
Speaker 5: I like, I hope that's true. I'd like to believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: If it's not true, I wish you wouldn't say it. But if it is true, I'm glad he's saying correct.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, The Commanders have officially named Jade and Daniels there starting quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: I'm not shocked with that. When he was the third rum pick, second run, always the first he was the second or second it was a second pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, another surprise, they Joe, you're actually for a reason right. The funny thing is I saw the Raiders versus the Cowboys over the weekend, just kind of just kind of a couple of things.
Speaker 5: So they have a Minshew Gardner Mitschew. Why they announced him as the starter.
Speaker 3: He's a starter now for the Raider, for the Raiders, what the world comes to. He's been a backup all his life.
Speaker 5: He started for what Jacksonville for a while.
Speaker 3: How good were they? Do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 5: I do know what saying. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Are there other quarters?
Speaker 5: Okay? Okay? Is is he? Is he better than brock Party? I mean he and Brock Purty kind of like to me the same guy. I mean, brock Perty has been really good guy. To seehim in the super Bowl and the whole bit. But in terms of when you're looking at just the general talent level, they seem like the same guy. Brock Perty's just got better guys with him.
Speaker 3: Well, that name is not going to knock you over with a feather.
Speaker 5: I'm not taking him in my fantasy league. I'll tell you that for that reason.
Speaker 4: For that reason, all right, ASU has name there starting quarterback for Week one. Sam leave It a freshman transfer from Michigan suit.
Speaker 5: All right, okay, now, well you know we'll see what they We'll see what they've got. You know, there's I don't know, you know, you you won't. That's a team where you don't know until you know, right, because they're a team that just again a lot of changeover They weren't very good last year. Uh you know Kenny Dillingham in his second year, what's he done to? You know, make that jump from year one to year two over there. I'm I'm I don't know. I mean, I nobody thinks it's gonna be any good. Right then they get picked last by the media in the in the Big twelve media poll something like that. So I don't know. That's all you go, all right, okay, I you know, Steve, I've been so busy today, I'm not I can say that the Dodgers took two out of three from the Cardinals over the weekend. Something happy by that what's his name, shoe Hey Otani. It's on his way to a forty forty season. He's got thirty nine homers and he's got like thirty six stolen bases. So he hit it. So I know that man, these races in the in the in the National the race of the Nation League West is really heating up.
Speaker 3: So just to kind of get some time off here, I watched the Indiana Fever play the Seattle over the weekend. I just saw the second half. Kendle Clark continue to do what she does and does it well. She still continues to be pushed around and treated kind of how she's being treated. Uh, it's just an envy, an envy.
Speaker 5: That shouldn't be there, that shouldn't be there.
Speaker 3: Because she's elevated and I'm not depending on what the hell she needed me to defend her, right, but but you know, she's elevated the game at the next loss.
Speaker 5: That's the part I don't understand. And I'm not saying don't play hard against her, don't work her hard and stuff like that, don't give her anything, I'm not saying that, but to be bitter and pissed about the attention she gets because everywhere she goes. You know, there was a guy that got on and was naming off all these players. This person was just as good, and this person was just as good in this and they never got that attention. And they say, well, you know what, they weren't that good, right, He's turned into a kind of a race thing. But you know who's just a caller on the show. I'm like, no, this has to do with the fact that she's really damn good and none of those players you mentioned were as good as she is. And that is as simple as that. If Kaylen Clark was black or red, or green or blue, she'd be getting the same attention because she's that damn good and what she she shoots from further than anybody in the NBA except Steph Curry. There's nobody that shoots from where she shoots, and that's what's got people fascinated that she can make those jobs.
Speaker 3: If anybody saw that game yesterday, and I've seen it on Twitter, what the Storm coach was upset about at the end of the game. She went to the Fever coach and kind of got into her face and they were kind of going back and forth, or at least the Storm coach was. I don't understand what the reason he was for. She had just been beat by double digits and they were complaining about something. I didn't get it. I try to look for it, and I didn't find it. If anybody knows, give me a call, give us a call out the outside after the after the second guest after hockey, because it was just strange. I mean, they were getting their butt beat and they were complaining about something. I mean, just let's shake hands and go away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, seriously, what the hell? Okay the hell?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm trying to find in the media guy, anything, but I can't find.
Speaker 5: Anything preseason All America. All right, Okay, Our next guest coming up, Ken Hackemy the new athletic director at Pima. They've got their new academic school year sports year starting. We'll see what he's got on his mind and how he's sitting in that job. Now, that was for so long in Jim Monico's hand. So can hockey coming right up? Stick around.
Speaker 6: The Window Depot is more than a windows store. The Window Depot is a one soft warehouse with everything you need for your complete Homer model shot. The aisles of pre built cabinets in a variety of colors, granite and courts, countertops, sinks, skylights, and hardware. To complete your project. Need a custom order, we can help. Our designers offer free designs services and can special order everything you need for your kitchen or bathroom remodel. Today, shop the window Deepot dot com or find a location near you. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equations?
Speaker 7: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 8: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 9: Edge and exercise equipment on twenty second just west of will Not Did you know sports cards at Memorabilia are setting records sales last month of nineteen fifty two tops Mickey Mantle SO for twelve point six million, Lebron James Rookie SO for five point six Also, collecting cards is a family fun hobby that can be very profitable.
Speaker 7: If you want to start a collection or expand your collection, check out Showtime Cards. They are one of the leading card shops in the country and have served our local community for twenty five years. They are located on e Speedway. That's Showtime Cards.
Speaker 10: At Nova Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit volpeteam dot com that's volpe Team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six Today. N mls three to eight seven, Arizona BKO nine two and a half four two Equal housing Opportunity, How to commit to Lindrix Syncretic rates and available loan programs are subject to change with undubice.
Speaker 11: It's awards season for summer sports leagues and time to look at trophies for baseball, softball, volleyball, and swimming seasons for youth and adult leagues. Summer has arrived and it's time to replenish your promotional products for your company's giveaways. Keep your employees looking great in fresh new apparel, polos and caps with your sharp looking logo. Creative Awards is here to serve your professional and promotional products needs. Visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Dractman Street or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 2: Gut bugs, termites, fees or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which nimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Past control get rid of your bad bugs, termites, bees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Dreamy Live, I mean, iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera and Jacobzalez on Fox Sports fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to my in the ball here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, He's Jacob Sauce. Now on the phone. We have Ken hockey from Pima for you, ad and baseball coach. Coach, I'm gonna call you slash with all your Cuba titles. You probably have other titles we don't even know about.
Speaker 12: No, it's it's been the time. I appreciate you guys having me on.
Speaker 3: So you replace Themonaco and I'm sure you've got a lot of tutorial stuff in the semester before. But how how is it now? I mean, this is you.
Speaker 12: So far, so good? I mean we're we're rolling right along. You know, summer or summer went quick and we jumped right into fall practice with volleyball and men's and women's soccers. So we're about to get the seasons going for them this next week. So it's it's it's exciting.
Speaker 5: Well, and you're still the baseball coach. You're just saying that your fall your fall season has already started. You're about to play games. How are you how are you managing to mix both of you know, get both of these jobs done? And uh are you overwhelmed yet or you feel like you're in a pretty good spot?
Speaker 12: No? I feel good. I mean, you know, we have, uh, fortunately for me on the baseball side, I have great coaches for great assistant coaches, and you know, they understand our system. And uh, when I'm not there or when I have to leave early, I don't think we miss a beat. You know, they they do a great job and and so we're excited about that. And then you know, as far as the rest of the department, Uh, you know, walked in a great situation with Todd being the assistant A d and Dan and Jerry Stitt. You know, there's great people here in the in the department that have have helped a ton. So it's it's working out great.
Speaker 3: So it's a pet much kind of all for one and one for all. Do you see yourself going to other other other sports? Uh? Did you go to other sports before to watch.
Speaker 12: I'll be at everything that I can get to. When I was the baseball coach, only, I've spent a lot of time watching volleyball because my daughter played on the volleyball team. So I went to watch volleyball quite a bit, and you know, I did some when you know, as I was kind of looking at Monaco's situation when he had decided to retire, I helped out a lot in the spring, just going and being the you know, the supervisor on site for basketball and stuff like that. So yeah, I've gone out to see as many games as possible, and I encourage our team to go out and watch as many other sports as possible.
Speaker 3: Well, can I ask you a personal question? Are you married?
Speaker 12: I am.
Speaker 3: Your wife's gonna have to love you a lot. Man, You're not gonna be around.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's uh, it's it's fine though, I mean it really is. I enjoy my job and I want to support our guys and uh and and girls and all of our sports and do the best I can and to give them what they need. So it's important for me to be out there and and meet them all, and and visit with them, and and and know that I'm here for them.
Speaker 5: Interesting. Is there is there anything on the job so far that maybe you didn't know was part of the job or do you think you had a pretty good uh sense of it all? I mean, are you doing some stuff that you thought, Wait a minute, I don't you know, I didn't know how to do this?
Speaker 12: No, not really. I mean, you know what what I what I have found out is there's a lot of meetings, uh, and there's a lot of different departments and you know, athletics is just a small part of PEMA College, but uh, you know, we've got to got to be and uh we've got to represent our area. And so there's a lot of meetings I'm involved with and things like that. But you know, nothing that uh that that I didn't expect. It's just, uh, there's a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, litt And youbody we talked to before you came on. Uh, baseball has already started for the fall, uh and probably started a while back. How how is that taking time now? And then you go to the office probably and become who you were becoming.
Speaker 12: Yeah, right now. It's uh, we're practicing in the mornings just because we're not in school yet. School doesn't start until next Monday, so right now we're practicing early and gives me a chance to get here, get myself situated, get ready for practice, finish up, and then get back in the office and work on some things.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: I'm just I try to stay busy. You know. I was out on the soccer field all afternoon trying to resawd some areas that need to be rested. And so I'm just one of those guys that wants to help and wants to you know, make sure everything is right and we all of our coaches have what they need, all.
Speaker 5: Right, So tell us a little bit about you know, you're starting the season with baseball. Uh what does it look like for you? Uh, you know.
Speaker 3: After a pretty good year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 12: I like our team. You know, we're young, We're going to be young this year. We lost quite a few guys, but I'm excited about uh, our our team and what we've been able to do over the past week. You know, we've only been on the field for a week, so just uh, you know, the first week, just a lot of just watching and evaluating. And you know, this week we really started today we kind of got into some things that you know, that we're going to do as a team and how we're going to do it. So but it's fun, it's been it's been fun to watch these guys. I'm excited about our chances this year.
Speaker 3: Well I'm curious because I don't think I've ever asked a coach, a baseball coach specifically. So here we are in mid August. Your season really doesn't start till like February or maybe late January. What do you what do you try to get across to them now? Because I played I played a little baseball. In baseball, it's repetitive, you know. Take your swings, Take your swings, take your ground balls, take your ground loss, take your playballs. Is it more repetitive now for for later? Or what do you do?
Speaker 12: No? I think right now. I mean again, going back to to what I said a little bit earlier, I'm a systems thinker, and and and we we have a system put in place with team of Baseball that was put in when you know, when I first got here, and so we try to do everything by that system. So right now, a lot of a lot of what is going on out on the field is guys understanding how the system works. And so we're spending a lot of time just explaining, talking about different drills, why things work, why things don't. So the fall is spent trying to develop these kids and make them understand what they need to do to be successful for the spring. So right now we spend a lot of time slowing the game down. And fortunately for me and for us, we have great coaches and it's nice to be able to go out there and watch our infield coaches working with the infielders, our pitching coaches working with the pitchers, our catching coach working with the catchers, our outfield coach working with the outfielders, and spending a good amount of time helping them understand, you know, what it takes to be successful.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So has it been just working with your brother? I mean he's still on the staff right Jason, Yeah, he's how's that for you? Guys?
Speaker 12: It's been great. I mean we spend a lot of time, know, apart from each other, as we started our careers, he started, you know, playing professional baseball and I started coaching, and uh, we took different paths in different cities. And you know, his kids grew up one in in one town and my kids grew up in a different town. And and so being back together now has been great, you know, being able to see him every day and spend some time with him, and you know, we we we missed a lot of time and it's nice to be back together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay Oka, And you know, I don't want to I don't want to overstate this because we've been covering Pema for a while now. We've been in town forever, right, Jason Native Uh, and we've said Pina has been the sleeping giant. That's kind of it's it's here. Uh. Soccer basketball has done well. You guys have been very successful. Did you Do you think that you've taken over the program at a great time because in our in my mind at least, it looks like a great time.
Speaker 12: I believe that just like you said, we have successful programs throughout the department, We have great coaches, and so me, me walking into this position and taking over for Monaco during this time has been Uh. I don't think there could be a better time, to be honest with you, I mean, it's it's exciting to come to work every day and know that we're going to be good in soccer men and women. We're gonna be good in basketball men and women. We're gonna be good in baseball and volleyball and track, you know, so softball, I mean they went to the World Series. I mean we we have a lot of successful programs. So that's always that's always nice when when you're you know, in charge of them all, it's it's nice that they're all pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, you just ran through all these all these programs that are are doing great. But what's what are the what are the tough things about being a junior college program in terms of I don't know whether it's resources, whether it's getting players now when the end I l environment, What's what are the what's the hard part of being a junior college athletic director and running programs?
Speaker 12: Well, I think it's always a challenge, uh with finances. I mean, you know, I think that goes on in any junior college. You're trying to balance a budget and you're trying to make sure everybody has what they need and everybody's getting the opportunity to go places and take their teams but stay within a certain budget. So that's always that's always tough. You know. Fundraising is something that's super important for all of our programs to be able to have the things that we need. And so those are challenges, and those are going to be challenges every year.
Speaker 3: Right, right, So you have to think out of the box too, especially probably in the fundraising department because you're you know, Arizona's not too far away and then you have your own deal. So how difficult is that?
Speaker 12: Well, I mean it's it's always going to be difficult, but you know, you just have to put uh, you know, that first foot forward and and and start making phone calls and having lunches and having meetings and and just seeing what we can do. I mean, we have a great, uh situation with Chapman Automotive and they've been super supportive to PEMA Athletics and have supported us, you know, year in and year out, and without them it would be tough. So we're we're fortunate and thankful that they're on board with us. And you know, we're we're always looking for for people that want to help and uh, you know, with without the community's help, it'll be tough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jim. I was going to call you, Jim Monica.
Speaker 3: What.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to tell you about that. Ken, but we're talking to Ken Hackey, now the athletic director at at PEMA College. Is Is there a lot of learning going on for you in this first year or do you feel like you had a real good handle on it.
Speaker 12: I think there's always going to be learning. So my first year is going to be spent learning as much as I possibly can from some of the people that are already in place. Todd Holtouse Is is a you know, he's a great coach, but he's he's one of our assistant a d s who's really helped me. Dan Bethell, our volleyball coach, has done a tremendous job helping, you know, just you know, with with budget things and how to how to do this and how to do that, and so those people have been instrumental in the first couple of months. And you know, like I said, it's the learning will never stop. So we just got to continue to learn as much as we can and get better and and and you know, hopefully that will pay dividends on the field and in the court.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen what the potential of the soccer teams are. But Dave always has something very special there, obviously winning a couple of national titles here recently. What are you seeing them? And uh, and I think I think you guys are trying to host the national title again, aren't you.
Speaker 12: We're not hosting this year. We'll see about the following couple of years. But we took we hosted the last two years, so we're taking a little time off and it just kind of rotates around. People put bids in and so we're not hosting this year. But so far, what I've seen of causes team, they look great. I mean there's a lot of kids out there and and they working and you know they're they're gonna be good. They're gonna be really good. And sitting and talking with cause he feels good about his team, He likes him, he likes their chances this year to be really successful. Same with Kendrick. Kendrew's got a nice team and she really is excited about her girls and she's got some girls that were with them last year that she feels good about. Uh, you know, the success for their season as well.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, Well, Ken, we appreciate your time. We know you're a busy guy. We'll probably talk to you from time to time.
Speaker 12: Sounds good. I appreciate you guys. Always be well.
Speaker 3: Thank you Ken helping me, of course, a new idea, very level headed, very yes, you know, not.
Speaker 5: A well you have to be, you know if you're gonna you know, there's as you said, there's a lot of challenges that they have, right, whether it's financial or you know, this whole nil world and transfer portal world and where did the good players go and where good junior college players wind up and stuff like that, and you know what the market is for them. There's a lot of things changing for those guys very much.
Speaker 3: So it's almost like a second thought, maybe I'm wrong a second. And we talked to Monica about this because now the high school level, because now the transfer right, you go, after the transfer of Swift's left, right, where do the seniors go?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Because where they go?
Speaker 5: Yeah, where does that senior go that would have gotten a spot on a on a on a on at a four year school, But because there's so much movement there, those spots are now much more limited because guys are just moving around.
Speaker 3: Correct in that, and then then the JC guys who don't have grades for whatever reason can't be that senior that's going to go somewhere. It's kind of like a backlog. Yeah, I could be wrong.
Speaker 5: Well, no, Steve, I mean you know that Let's say, uh, Brent Brannan has a hole to feel, you know, in his roster. He's got to go, he's got to go get a player.
Speaker 3: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: Where does he go? He's going to the transfer portal. Then where's he going after that? You know, he's going to check out the high school and then where's he going after that? Then he's So it's you know, it's it's making it tough over there. But you know a lot of these kids go to go to uh, you know, junior college route and one they're trying to get their academic stuff in order and so they can get into four year school. And maybe they go to that four year school and they might not play, but at least they've gotten to a point where, you know, through a scholarship and stuff like that, they've gone a couple of years of an education where that they can use that to move on to, you know, to go get a college degree. So but it's just it's all different for those.
Speaker 3: Guys, right. No, times are changing, man, all the time. I'm not sure for the better, but you know, I guess you know.
Speaker 5: Well you got to make the best of it.
Speaker 3: Would they go from the horses to the train, to the train to the car, to car to the airplane.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the hell you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Things change if price and now I'm sure in five years it'll be different than when we're seeing now flying cars, hoverboards.
Speaker 5: Well, we're seeing cars that drive themselves. So there's that.
Speaker 3: But you know what I'm saying, now here's it's you know, I'm doing a story for you, and it's like, who would have thought all this stuff would have happened three years ago? Four years ago?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy, it's crazy, it's and it's it's survival because you have to have to change.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, you know, I was. I was talking to my son, you know, Adam, who's started his new job today, and there's on afflect back in there's an athletic department in their digital marketing area. I'm like, okay, what is digital marketing responsible for? And I thought he was gonna tell me. I'm you know, I'm gonna be on social media and all the stuff. As you know, it's a whole separate deal. It's it's you know, working with boosters and sponsors and you know, doing doing stuff digitally, whereas you know, the team and their s ideas are responsible for the social media stuff that I was out about the teams, and then there's you know, there's other areas that he goes, I won't have anything to do with our social media and I thought to me, that's what digital marketing. But their digital marketing as a whole, even that has become a whole different deal from what we think it is.
Speaker 3: And on the job that wasn't around ten years ago.
Speaker 5: Right right, exactly kind stuff. So anyways, all right, stick around. We're gonna take your calls five to two zero four one six seventy four forty. Would love to hear from you. It's a Monday afternoon and lot's going on, as Steve said, so we'll see what we've got for you. But give us a call back five to two zero four seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Loudolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot, It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an in site to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. What one email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 13: Hi, this is formal while get leman huntly with Arizona Health, Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space and your life. We off a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you up with the right equipment and training to get your started to keep you going. Visit our shure room today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 14: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from in financial laid available, it's time to earn the degree or certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 15: Ready to save but not sure where to begin? Take the Pyramid Federal Credit Union ten thousand dollars Saving Challenge and we'll guide you along the way. Save five hundred dollars over six months as a member and you could win big what your savings grow to help you reach goals like buying a car, owning a home, and more. Visit Pyramid FCU dot com slash ten k challenge to get started today. Been really insured and CUA? Do you want to be part of a winning team?
Speaker 7: A Team Security is looking for friendly, outgoing event security guards and event staff to be a part of our team. We've been providing our outstanding services to some of Arizona's biggest sporting events and concerts.
Speaker 3: For over twenty years. We want you to join the Action.
Speaker 7: A Team offers a fun and exciting opportunity to work in the sports and entertainment industry, with flexible schedules that are perfect for those looking for a part time job or a second income. Come be a part of a winning team The A Team apply online today at a team security dot net.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the exes. And oh it's Steve Rivera and jaygin Salvez. This is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteenth fifty.
Speaker 3: Heay, welcome back to IM the Ball hero Fox Sports fourteenth fifty. I'm Steve, You're Jay. We got Henry with us. We got fifteen minutes. Maybe we'll get a caller three here in the play our first fifteen minutes for final fifteen minutes as we sign off on Monday. Uh, you won't be here Thursday Friday. Yep, trying up my guests for this weekend.
Speaker 5: I guess we should give the number for we want people to call.
Speaker 3: Four on Wednesday, one, five, four, one, six, seventy four to forty everybody, Nico, all the guys Jr. So now a regular guy, mister Rogers fan.
Speaker 5: Okay, how many minutes of preseason football.
Speaker 3: Have you watched collectively?
Speaker 5: NFL?
Speaker 3: It Like, I don't believe in it.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't pay either.
Speaker 3: I don't pay attention. What I do notice and maybe I'm wrong. They're not scoring very many points.
Speaker 5: I know, I've like seven to three, twelve, ten to three seven, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw that the Cowboys quarter of a kicker a kick and hit a sixty.
Speaker 5: Six yard and he made it by like you know, remember the sixty six yard that the Justin Tucker the Ravens his hit that hit the crossbar and then bounced over. This guy made it, he did, he got it there, right. It's it's crazy how that's how that has extended. You know, these guys are kicking sixty five yarders like nothing. I mean, we're gonna see it. You know, we're going to see a sixty yarder in college sometimes really soon. I don't think we have yet.
Speaker 3: We haven't. I didn't know that. I did not know that.
Speaker 5: Okay, maybe a long time ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how is is he with anybody? He could he could he?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was up there. But I mean it, yeah, I mean we're I They're gonna be more. You know, it's not it's not gonna be an automatic thing. Whe if they got sixty yards that they're gonna kick that they're gonna punt anymore. So I feel, you know, we're gonna see a bit more of that.
Speaker 3: We gotta see what rich Rod is doing. I know he won't come on now because it's too late in the season, but we had him on. He did a good job the first year that he was at jackson Jacksonville State, right, see how that goes. I don't know, if someone's back at Maryland, maybe see what's going on there because he got in trouble.
Speaker 5: With the EUI right late in the year. Doug. I just seen Doug Haller reporting. I'm really sorry to say this Diamondbacks fans, but can tell Marte just went on the ten day injured list, so he's out for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Is that a smirk?
Speaker 5: I hate to see that.
Speaker 3: I hate to interrupt you, but I'm gonna interrupt you. Sorry to say this, but I would.
Speaker 5: Have said I should be getting here hearing from listener Bill any second now, unless he's in the air somewhere. But again, it's a it's a it's gonna be a crazy race in the h in the West. The projects are just a couple of you.
Speaker 3: Are you what's this weekend? This is the is the weekend? Yeah, this is the weekend. You go this weekend? No, this coming this weekend. I've got going from here to San Diego, then going north.
Speaker 5: Right, so we're going to sand We're driving up to San Diego on Thursday, gonna unload my daughter's uh belongings, uh and uh, and then getting out of there on Friday, heading up to heading up to l A. We've got got an airbnb up there, and we're gonna be staying there, golfing Saturday at Lakewood Country Club, which I'm very excited. The lottery, No, no, the lottery, well not really.
Speaker 3: You did your wife your wife, and then uh then.
Speaker 5: Going to the Dodger game. To you, I bought a I bought a type of thing at the at the Father's Day Council of Tucson dinner and it was for four tickets. While the guy from I should give him some prosty because this was really cool. His name is Matt uh matt At, Matt matt Man. Where is he? Matt Slatus. He's with the he's with the Spring training organization, Up and Up in Phoenix that runs Camel Camel Back Ranch Baseball for the Dodgers, and I think the White Sox play, Well, they're the ones that donated the tickets. Well, you end up getting us six tickets, right, So my whole family could go. So we got nice and we're like in the twelfth row behind the visitors dug out at Dodger Stadium at the lower level, and I've never sat that close to home plate and that low ever in all the years I've gone to Dodgers same. He used to be the best seats I've ever had. So that on Saturday night to see the Dodgers play the Rays. So that's gonna be cool.
Speaker 3: Cool. That's this next this weekend Saturday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so since we're not spending money on ticket, well we did spend money on tickets, but I gotta get myself some more gear, Steve. I only buy my Dodger gear at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: I look forward to seeing the Dodgers stuff here. This always makes me smile to say that with a smurk.
Speaker 5: You do say that with a smurk. Looking forward to that. So you had the family going up there, it's sort of sort of a birthday trip for me that you know, we couldn't do it around my birthday so because of the Dodger schedule. So we're doing it now and we're going up there for the weekend and we expect to have a good time. It should be a lot of fun. So I'll wave tea from you know, if you watch a Dodger game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, don't don't do that because you know I'm not gonna be watch Saturday Saturday. Too busy with the But what time is the game?
Speaker 5: O'clock?
Speaker 3: Yeah? No, we're too busy with the with the loot stuff.
Speaker 5: Okay, Oh that's right. Well you got your camp, did you guys fill it up? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so he's done. Mike does a good job. Yeah, I'll bring those guys in and we'll see. We'll seeither Thursday at or dinner and then Saturday Sunday or yeah, Friday, Saturday.
Speaker 5: Okay, So again I've asked I think I've asked this before, but I forget. So what's the what's the format you guys come in? How many guys do you have?
Speaker 3: Thirty forty some day? And you formed team four teams four teams of Saturday eight Yeah, and then then old dudes, old dudes thirty forty and older. Uh, and they played basketball for Friday Saturday and then should.
Speaker 5: Play games against each other. And is it a bracket or what it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a you know fourteen, I get fourteen and they play each other around robin and then the best two teams at the end on Sunday play for the championship, and then the second two play for the third place.
Speaker 5: So get you play five games. It's old dudes played for four games.
Speaker 3: Two two and one. Yeah yeah, four games yeah so two f uh yeah, and this old dudes playing basketball. You see what you see is you expect. We have some guys seventy years older, seven or older, you know, forty forty, mostly forty and older. So the young guys kind of dominate in how they dominate. But it's a lot of fun. They get worn out locals. Oh yeah, yeah, yea yeah, la New York. A couple of people from New York, UA love guys who love seeing the old guys again. And they're all friends. They're all Facebook friends and aj you know, you know, they they're not they're not that guy anymore, right, their buddies. Yeah, because that's how it's been. They've been here years.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's take the call. H Are on the air and eye on the ball.
Speaker 3: Nico was, Hey, I took your advice. I'm I'm done with a goose stuff.
Speaker 14: No, well that's you started smuggling weeds.
Speaker 3: I never have, but uh, but I should.
Speaker 12: Never smoked weed never ever.
Speaker 3: Ever.
Speaker 12: I'm thinking I lose.
Speaker 3: I'd probably say that very probably ought to be proud of something I getting. Yes, and that's one of the.
Speaker 12: Hey man, hopefully you guys have an ambulance for this.
Speaker 2: Damn lidds.
Speaker 3: We have traders. Well, there's no questions about that. We have traders. That's funny.
Speaker 13: Hey, you're Jay though.
Speaker 5: Last week you were talking about how you go see a football game, right, and you'd have like a nervous feeling in your get. Well, I did when when it was when Tommy was the coach because he was a friend of mine. So I did. Then. I don't. I don't so much now Like now it's like if they're losing them, like, okay, that's not the worst thing that can happen, So all right, how much better was all that?
Speaker 12: Lucky?
Speaker 13: Wish?
Speaker 5: Well that too, that too, you know, Yeah, because that's you know, that takes a lot of work to be able to eat that much lucky wish one and then be able to go sit down in a seat for three hours. I can only go probably like an hour, Joey what I can probably only hold it for about an hour?
Speaker 3: Are you? Are you you still go with your death to the games?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Tickets?
Speaker 3: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 5: Where you sitting? This your same seats as always? Or what you got you? Where are you sitting?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I sit by the Sands Club, you know, higher class people.
Speaker 5: Oh you're you're in the You're in the in the end zone there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look at you.
Speaker 5: Those are cheap bottom of those are cheap seats.
Speaker 3: He's not buying them. It's daddy my ticket.
Speaker 12: Man, I'm gonna have to miss the first because I gotta work.
Speaker 3: Oh you got a job. That's good. I'm probably you miss Probably I've had a job.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: You make me have to be some loser.
Speaker 3: No, well, never mind.
Speaker 5: Oh, we love we love we do love you. Nico.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank you, because one of our guys.
Speaker 5: He is one of our guys. He's funny. The one wonder I see hi all day because I always run into him at the game went right at the top of the you know, the end zone when I'm walking to my seat, because we come in from the east and then we go we go across the concourse there above at Lowell Stevens and make our way up to our seats on the west side. I always run into him, like under the scoreboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's right there on the other side.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Have you met his dad?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I see, I'll run into both of them.
Speaker 3: He said again, he's uh, you had a misidentified while we were talking about him first. But he's Scooby, not Scooby. He's he's shaggy in my mind. He's shaggy. Then his appearance. I've never met him.
Speaker 5: His dad know him him?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because you said he was gonna look some way and I said, no, he's more like shaggy. Oh yes, yes, exactly. How he calls is how I picture him looking, some thin dude. He likes pizza. It smokes a little doube.
Speaker 5: You know. His dad looks a bit hippie.
Speaker 3: Is okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah is every call. But dad was quite you know I think what the ballplayer.
Speaker 3: And he and he he was he's a fan. Yeah, dad's one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, the huge fans run into them all the time, all.
Speaker 3: Right, and you have a tailgate of first first game thirtieth Yeah, so you know, we meet when I've been there, at least we meet some people coming by.
Speaker 5: Yeah. We're usually in a spot right there in front of the Richard Jefferson Gym, so there's a lot of traffic going by there, just north of it, just to the north. But we're usually in the first row to the north of Jefferson Gym, which means we'd come in later, you know, the first the first cars that get seated are up by the sidewalk, you know, so we we kind of time it. You're trying to be because it's shady, it's closer and there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of time it. But do you if you got it through. I don't know how it is. I'm just assuming. So you got to the opening, do you do high tail it there or do they slaught you as you come in?
Speaker 5: No, you're just they put you in the next spot, you know, you get there. Yeah, we we yeah, you know, we got a sense of it, like we all we kind of figured out at the first game. Okay, we usually know that first games and be a lot of people take, so we kind of time it to when we're going. We get there and like we will go park it in our park in Sam Hughes across the street to see the progress. Then it's like, okay, they finished. They they've got the you know, the finishing the second to the last row. Then we go get in line. So we get one of the shots in the last row.
Speaker 3: So okay, so the line does it does it continue or does it have spurts you can get into them.
Speaker 5: It goes in spurts. And so we missed on a couple like last year there was a thing where we we thought we had a time and we were the first car that got sent to the other side of the mall. That's because we missed it by two minutes, right, So so we we we kind of time it and we you know, we've been trying to cut down on the number of hours that were there. But what's important to us more than anything is getting a spot that we like and uh and it makes it a lot more fun. You know, there's some shade. It's kind of wide open, you know, because there's more space because of the sidewalk next to the gym and stuff.
Speaker 3: So there's an art to it, Steve, there's a well, sure, yeah, you got it down pretty much costly.
Speaker 5: Back in the day with that tailgate, massive tailgate that we had, the guys who parked the cars would tell us when to come in because they'd get we'd get the same spot every week, and in return we would feed them, so they helped us out. And I don't know if that makes sense. I don't know that anybody's supposed to know that. But that's why, that's why we always end up in that same spot by the arch, and that's changed because that's just the way it is. And we're only one spot now, so you know, we just go in there and try and get a spot in that last row too, just to have a good spot. That's that's the place that we like it. It feels good for us.
Speaker 3: So I got got about two minutes, three minutes out. No, don't call because you can't have talk. We're out of okay, No, good, good, good Monday. Thank you, h our guy, Henry.
Speaker 5: And yeah, Henry, nice job, Kevin guy. Interesting stuff about the Sugar Sculls because as he said, you know, they commitated to five years. They've done their five years and you know, if you've got it. If you've got an asset like that and somebody comes out and says, I want to buy that from you, you know you're going to take a look at that. But you know, it looks like they're doing the things, preparing things to stick around. But you never know if somebody comes along and says, hey, why don't you come over here, it's be more fruitful for you.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing that surprises me the most in that conversation was that he said the ticket sales are up, yeah, and we don't go anymore. I don't go, you don't go.
Speaker 5: I mean I watch games.
Speaker 3: I watch games to see if how that crowd is, because that's the number one thing you got to make people happy. You you got to make make them come back. And they weren't. They weren't getting good. Yeah, So that's that's tough to do.
Speaker 5: And one of the things that you know from from a TV standpoint, and that you know from our standpoint. When I was doing the games on broadcast, the cameras are facing the side that has fewer seats taken up. People sit underneath the press and on the camera side of the arena, so you don't really know it's hard to tell, you know, if the other side looks semi empty, it's hard to tell how many people are on the side that you're on. So it sounds like they were, you know, okay with attendance, and so you know, we'll see. But you know, look, it's a it's a it's a franchise. It's done okay. People like it, people go to the games, and it's a tenant at the at the arena that I'm sure the arena appreciates. And now you know, they've still got the road Runners there too, so they want to keep that thing going. So it all works.
Speaker 3: Okay. Well, in the final minute here, we'll see you tomorrow. We have our guest lined up, right, we'll tell you in the morning if you're interested.
Speaker 5: Well, it's Philip Stewart, the head coach in Marana is going to be joining us. They've got to sounds like a very good program going. He's doing a media day on Thursday for all of the sports at Maranna, which is very cool to take the time to do that, and I think media will show up for that. And so we'll talk to Philip Stewart at three point fifteen and then sure to stubs the second year head volleyball coach at Arizona. She'll be on in the four fifteen hours, so be sure to come back for all of that, and we'll bring it to you and we'll take your costs five two zero, four one six seventy four forty See everybody tomorrow