Speaker 1: Now in cooperation with police and federal law enforcement departments throughout.
Speaker 2: The United States.
Speaker 1: The only national program that brings you authentic police case history.
Speaker 2: Gang Muster.
Speaker 1: To Night, the case of the Dakota Badman who shedd handcuffs as a snake shedd skin, but will learn that two sudden shots at a federal agent would be.
Speaker 3: Repaid in kind.
Speaker 1: And now the Gangbusters in facts that show the operation of our law enforcement officials in their war against the underworld. Gangbusters has asked the Honorable Victor S. Anderson, the United States Attorney in Minnesota, to narrate by proxy tonight's case, the inside facts in the case of the Dakota band Mister Anderson, I know the criminal you're going to tell about to Night was for a long time at the top of the list of fugitives wanted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. That's right, Don Gardener. This man, John Frederick Benson, didn't know when he'd had enough, but he was to learn that agents of the FBI are also noted for their perseverance. Well, where would you like to begin, mister Anderson, I think the best place down would be on the outskirts of Houston. Texas, at three o'clock on a mild February morning, exactly two years ago this week, the all night clerk at the Palace Grove Modern tourist camp was fast asleep in his chair as a lone figure crept by him. The intruder walked cautiously across a dimly lit court, past cabins number one, number two, and number three. He stopped at number four. He looked around and quietly tried the door.
Speaker 3: Jack, Yeah, it's me. What happened?
Speaker 4: How did you get out?
Speaker 5: They would take 'em into the Federal building for questions This afternoon I broke away.
Speaker 3: He couldn't shoot any kind of the people.
Speaker 4: You should have tried it. They might've killed you.
Speaker 5: Or better than rotten the rest of my life in jail this afternoon, Yeah, I was lucky. I made for the freight yards. You have been laying out in a freight car for twelve hours. You sure they don't know your hair?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure you just said that they would have been around.
Speaker 4: You must be starved, Jack.
Speaker 5: They turned on any lights. Oh okay, I got a job for you. What things old, Jack? I don't see yet how I made it out with these handcuffs on. It was lucky they let me wear a top coat over my shoulders. I used it to cover 'em.
Speaker 4: But how do you get them off?
Speaker 5: There's no problem with the hacks or the first thing in the morning, walk to a hardware store.
Speaker 3: I'm going to hack so.
Speaker 5: I wish I didn't have to wait that long and rister practically cut the ribbons.
Speaker 4: Maybe I could use a hairpin or something. Maybe I can get them wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm too tired right now to try and need some sleep.
Speaker 5: Get that hack so in the morning and we'll go to work on the cuffs.
Speaker 6: Attention Texas Southwestern Authorities. Escape federal prisoner John Frederick Benson described in first bulletin. This man, who may still be wearing handcuffs, escape custody of the United States Marshall at Houston, Texas. Caution caution, Benson may now be armed and is known to be extremely dangerous.
Speaker 5: A right, kiddy, baby, come on a little more, all right, I'm trying a little more.
Speaker 2: Some more soup.
Speaker 3: That's it, thanks kidding. Didn't think i'd make it.
Speaker 4: I don't see yet how you did.
Speaker 3: Just luck, that's all.
Speaker 4: I guess you're the luckiest guy in the world.
Speaker 5: Mmm, take some figure into Oh were wrists? H I gotta do a lot more figuring. Baby, We're still too close for comfort. Tourist cabins are okay, but when they're looking, that's the first place on the list.
Speaker 3: You gotta get out of here.
Speaker 4: I suppose we do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, gotta get out and fast, I mean now worse than ever?
Speaker 4: Jack, Yeah, what happens? Now? Where do we go?
Speaker 5: You gotta get a heater, gotta find some place to lay out for a while.
Speaker 3: It takes Doe, dough. Everything takes Doe. You got any left, kiddy?
Speaker 4: Oh? Little? How much? Three or four hundred?
Speaker 3: Good? Good? It'll help some Well, you got it.
Speaker 4: In my suitcase?
Speaker 3: Good girl?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 4: Take the money? Leave me here?
Speaker 3: You kidding, baby?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: Take it?
Speaker 3: What's some money? You wanna stay here?
Speaker 4: I can't go through that all over again, Jack, I can't see them get you again.
Speaker 3: I can't do you have to go through.
Speaker 5: I'm the one there after you talk like I don't mean anything to you.
Speaker 4: If you couldn't mean anything to me, would you be here now? Would you have those cuffs off? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sorry, kid, I guess I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: Jack?
Speaker 4: Why do I see only good in you. Everybody else sees bad. If they were right, I'm crazy.
Speaker 5: Just you only see what you want to see. Let them think I'm bad?
Speaker 3: Will you care?
Speaker 4: Do you want me with you?
Speaker 7: Jack?
Speaker 5: I gotta have you a long baby. You're my insurance. They take one look at the two of us together, and nobody's suspicious. We can go any place and do anything. We're just an ordinary couple of people.
Speaker 4: That's not much of a reason for me.
Speaker 5: Look, kid, you know you come first all the time. But I think for the next couple of weeks, I can't do much traveling.
Speaker 3: I got a light someplace and stay there.
Speaker 2: Where.
Speaker 3: Well, how about Kansas? Your sister's place?
Speaker 4: No, Jack, I don't wanna get her mixed up.
Speaker 5: Who does wanna mixed up in it? It's a big farm and far away from everything.
Speaker 3: You said. She needs help since her husband died.
Speaker 4: You won't like a farm. You'll get restless.
Speaker 3: Do you think I was raised? You wrote? Nora? You were married?
Speaker 7: Writer?
Speaker 3: You're bringing your husband for a visit.
Speaker 4: Alright, that's what you want.
Speaker 3: M We can stay there and get my bearings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe'd be a good idea to cool off on a farm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, rotten stuff.
Speaker 4: Hey, yah, yeah, I brought you back some cigarettes from town.
Speaker 5: Thanks cost. You might have let me know you were going. I've been having a wonderful time here pitching hay.
Speaker 4: Well, you were still sleeping and I didn't wanna wake you. You got in so.
Speaker 3: Late, all right, kitty, So I got in light.
Speaker 4: Besides, with knowing the kids, there would have been room in the car.
Speaker 5: Nor the kids are making me sick. I had one of this farm, and I can take.
Speaker 4: Three weeks isn't so long? And they're still looking for you. They're looking for your heart.
Speaker 5: M Let him look, I need jail. It'll be better than breaking your back and this kind of work.
Speaker 4: Where'd you go last night?
Speaker 3: What do you care?
Speaker 4: Well? You didn't get intil so late?
Speaker 3: Okay, I didn't get intil late. I went to mail a letter.
Speaker 5: H I see it's the Harry Porter and Omaha want him to line up somebody for me? Good gunman.
Speaker 4: Then we're leaving here and you had enough? I guess you have. There's big news in town, Jack, Yeah, the state bank at CACLI was broken into last night.
Speaker 3: Oh what do you want me to do? Body?
Speaker 4: You promise, Jack, you promised you laylo and stay out of things.
Speaker 3: I don't win for safe crackings. I'm a gunman.
Speaker 4: How did you know the safe was cracked? I didn't say it.
Speaker 3: Oh don't all banks have safes? Hey? What are you trying to make me walk into?
Speaker 4: You were and there's no place to go.
Speaker 3: I never broke in any place before. That's not my line.
Speaker 4: The talk is it was an amateur job.
Speaker 3: Get it had nothing to do with a thing. Now, let me get finished up here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jack, that'll be a good idea. Oh, Norah wants to fix up early. She's taking the kids over to them blocks later.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the kids, they give me a pain in her neck. Well, let me get some hay pitched.
Speaker 2: Hello, Sheriff, Oh Haynes, anything.
Speaker 1: New, Jiff. This is a special Agent Dire also of the FBI. He was sent down from the Kansas City Field Office to help out the investigation. Sheriff Leaning, How.
Speaker 2: Are you, Sheriff, glad to have your dire. We need all the help we can get.
Speaker 1: Have you been able to turn up anything, Sheriff?
Speaker 2: Oh, Well, like you suggested, it could have been somebody look home. I had my deputies checking up with the people around here. Anybody suspicious, you know how it is. We know most everybody in the county on him for years. There's a few people we might check into. The huh Princess out at Lamb's garage to peak a road. Lamb took on a new mechanic stranger a week or ten days ago. I talked to him. We could. And then there's that new couple out at the Widow Emmetts, Jack Rogers and his wife. She's Nora Amitt's sister. Been there about three weeks. I haven't seen much of him, but she's been around with Nora and the kids.
Speaker 1: Is there anything suspicious about this Jack Rogers?
Speaker 2: Well, no, can't say there is. I got a car and seems to have money. The Emmits are good people. We'll have a look at them too. And there's three or four others I've got them listening to here.
Speaker 1: All right, serff, we'll check on everybody beginning tomorrow, just to play safe.
Speaker 4: Kitty kitty in here, Jack in the kitchen, where are you when I watch you? I'm just fixing lunch for the kids.
Speaker 3: What are your nurse maid or something?
Speaker 4: To let nor take care of our own kids?
Speaker 3: W again?
Speaker 5: She have to go to town every day. She's been living a life of riley since we came. I pitched the Hey, you take care of the kids.
Speaker 7: What is this after all?
Speaker 4: Jack, she's been awfully nice to us.
Speaker 5: Well, let her get a couple of hired hands. We're pulling him out anyway, as soon as I hear from Harry Porter.
Speaker 4: Jack, you promised you'd stay until the heats off.
Speaker 5: You promised me, well, I had enough farm a night car Norah.
Speaker 4: No, she said you wouldn't be back to six.
Speaker 3: Take a look out the window. Who is it.
Speaker 4: It's not Laura, it's a man. I'll talk to him, Jack. I'll send him away.
Speaker 5: Where are the kids upstairs? Were up and keep them there? All handass?
Speaker 3: Be careful, Please be careful, up and take care of the kids.
Speaker 4: Let me talk to Jack's not going to use that guff I got her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll get up there. Wanna meet him on the porch. You get up with the kids. Yeah, miss there, I gonna do for you.
Speaker 1: Don't talk to Jack Rogers.
Speaker 3: I'm Jack Rogers. Oh, my name's dire.
Speaker 1: I'm a special Agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 3: That's uh.
Speaker 2: I understand you.
Speaker 3: You understand too much roget Jack shot shut him. Son't going back?
Speaker 4: What are you gonna do? They knew he came here. There must be more than around I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: I'm getting not the back way, Jack, I'll get ready, Oh kid, this time I have to travel light. I'll get a touch for you.
Speaker 2: But I want to go.
Speaker 3: There's no time. They got nothing on you, Kitty. Don't tell him a thing. You don't know a thing.
Speaker 4: I won't tell him anything.
Speaker 3: Bias sod on.
Speaker 1: That was the situation. The criminal John Frederick Benson, shot and critically wounded an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation who attempted to question him. Benson fled the scene and left the girl Kitty alone to face the other law enforcement officers. When Sheriff Laney and Special Agent Haynes arrived, they placed Kitty in custody and rushed Special Agent Dier to a hospital. At the Sheriff's office, the girl was being questioned by the officers in their attempt to get a lead on the whereabouts of Benson.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you, I don't know where he is.
Speaker 1: I don't I known't You traveled all over the country with Benson. You were at the farm together three weeks. He must have mentioned where he counted on going when he left.
Speaker 4: We were going to stay for a while. There wasn't any thought of leaving.
Speaker 2: The FBI agenty shot might die.
Speaker 4: I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm being sorry. Doesn't help much.
Speaker 2: If you want to help, tell us where he went.
Speaker 4: I I don't know.
Speaker 1: He must have given some indications.
Speaker 4: I don't know where he went. Please believe me. I don't.
Speaker 3: All right, miss, that's all.
Speaker 4: You mean? I can go?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, you can go.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Yes, As much as we'd like to hold you, there's no charge we can place against you.
Speaker 4: I see.
Speaker 1: Have you got any place to go?
Speaker 7: Back?
Speaker 4: To farm? My kiss for a while? And I don't know?
Speaker 2: Alright? If we need you, we will be in touch.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry I couldn't help you.
Speaker 3: More so are we, hell Sheriff.
Speaker 1: She's on her way.
Speaker 2: I hope you get something out of it. Haims me. When I get somebody that belongs in jail, I like to keep 'em there.
Speaker 1: Sure, if Benson's a lot more important than she is, and if he knows she's out, maybe he'll arranged to see her.
Speaker 3: Hi, Well, jack Anne, what do you care? But he drinking up?
Speaker 5: By your nuh n mind the names makes Harry Porter.
Speaker 1: Said, I might find you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how is Harry? Okay, say here is still giving 'em trouble.
Speaker 5: It's not as here. It's a stomach. That's right, there's a stomach.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 5: You was looking for somebody to go in business with. Maybe I am, but not here at all. My I'm free of travel, makes sir. That's a gun.
Speaker 3: Boy, nothing else. Okay, I'll think about it.
Speaker 5: I gotta think about it, too, Jack, you're a pretty hard customer. There's not many who shoot up Gemen and are walking on the street to dunk up. I'll never talk about it, especially in the bars. It's a nice quiet boys. Let's go for a ride. There's not so many years and automobiles come out.
Speaker 1: Special Agent Haynes.
Speaker 2: Haynes's Marshall.
Speaker 3: We just gotta tell a joy message from Minneapolis.
Speaker 7: The girl kitty got there on the train this morning.
Speaker 2: I bought a bus ticket to Saint Is, North Dakota.
Speaker 1: Santa Huh. Benson's got relatives there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, we're already watching him.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move in a little closer. Get playing reservations from Minneapolis. We'll work out of there.
Speaker 3: Okay, Mags, you'll do.
Speaker 7: Thanks, coach. I never thought i'd make it. Look.
Speaker 5: If there's one thing I don't like, it's wise guys. Take it easy on the cracks and take it easy on the talk.
Speaker 2: And what's see it?
Speaker 7: Can you jack? If a guy's got no sense of humor, he's got nothing.
Speaker 3: I got nothing to laugh about it strictly business makes and remember that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, when we get started. Ever worked in Dakota's Dakotas.
Speaker 7: What's up there?
Speaker 3: Honey? You know where to find it?
Speaker 7: Who I take such a trip.
Speaker 5: I've got a way of operating makes It includes having a girl along make things look good.
Speaker 3: The girl I went along is up there.
Speaker 7: Ah, it's not a bad idea.
Speaker 3: I got a girl.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 3: One's enough.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, one's enough, as long as she's yours.
Speaker 3: If you don't want it my way, Meg's you can get out right here.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're right. You gotta traveler, companion. Don't get excited.
Speaker 8: That's the house hands kidding. Moved here in the day before yesterday. We got a mail check on the place. No letters from Benson or what about the phone. Well, that's gonna give us some trouble.
Speaker 1: Or what kind of trouble Benson. Oh, stop light a cigarette. I want a better look at the place. All right, it so happens at Benson's. Aunt is the night operator. I didn't wanna plant anyone in the exchange. If she's sponsor, it might wear the works, okay, but keep agents posted around the exchange every minute. The Amazon duty will.
Speaker 3: Do the manager the exchange. There's no connection with Benson.
Speaker 1: Good. I don't think Benson will have nerve enough to come right to the house. You might figure it's covered, but I'm almost certain he'll try to get in touch with Kitty, and if he does, we wanna know about it.
Speaker 5: Come on, hello, Kitty, Jack, I wanna make the short and sweet Baby, I'm close.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna come by for you, Jack, Baby walking to it will work? Is my at home?
Speaker 4: No, she would see a friend full work.
Speaker 3: Okay, y'all get in touch with her. When I get in, she'll tell you where to make me.
Speaker 4: Be careful, Jack, be careful.
Speaker 3: Don't worry about me. I'll be all right.
Speaker 5: I wanna get off this line so long, goodbye, Okay, began, Let's get out of here. Sit down, Yeah, Jack, let me finish my drink. I have to make it snappy. Who you calling that dame here? She got a friend?
Speaker 3: She all live in this time?
Speaker 5: Who cares if she's got a friend? And when do we get this baby?
Speaker 3: He is? And where I'm getting curious? They don't have long to wait?
Speaker 5: Now's if very a little place called Sainish should I have?
Speaker 3: We're driving there right now?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 5: That's where we take on our extra pass year I get finished up. We got fifteen miles to drive.
Speaker 8: Okay, okay, Haines, Yes, manager of the local telephone exchange just got in touch with me.
Speaker 3: There was a call to Kitty. It came through from Bismock from Benson. He doesn't know.
Speaker 8: He just saw the ticket. He happened to go buy the office and the ticket had just been filed.
Speaker 1: There's Benson's out on Judy at the board.
Speaker 8: Oh she's not scheduled to come on for another hour.
Speaker 1: Okay. We'll get in touch with the police at Bismarck to be on the lookout for Benson there, and we'll keep a double watch here in town all night. Crossman and Gould on the house. You and I had the telephone exchange where we can cover any more calls.
Speaker 7: So this is sanus share.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is Saanish.
Speaker 5: I can see where you left it at such an early age. Jack, What do people do around here for excitement?
Speaker 3: They sleep much where you're driving there?
Speaker 7: Stop so I see it?
Speaker 3: Okay, what.
Speaker 7: Stop signing? They need there? Why to see the cows coming?
Speaker 3: That's the telephone exchange in the middle of the block.
Speaker 7: And then your ants gotta stay on and do it the all night. The next cars around here.
Speaker 3: At night pull in over there?
Speaker 7: Okay, why don't we go to the dame's house.
Speaker 3: I'm doing this alright, turn off the lights.
Speaker 5: Okay, what do you need a gun for here?
Speaker 3: I didn't need it back in Kansas either, but I use it.
Speaker 5: I'm on, I'll wait here. Come on, I said, oh okay.
Speaker 3: Alright, we'll go around the back. It's no matter what the front.
Speaker 5: Nobody's there but your rent and go around the back and we'll just trouble to see it day he mind it.
Speaker 3: Shut up, that's far off, but copsa camp sho Jack, Okay, okay, take it easy.
Speaker 1: Where do the where do the bullets catch Benson?
Speaker 2: Alright? I guess he's dead.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait here, the carner comes, I'll take care of this one. Go on, you start walking.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm walking. I'm walking.
Speaker 4: Just a minute, I'm coming. Oh, hello, Kitty, he's not here. I swear he isn't I know?
Speaker 3: He isn't.
Speaker 1: Two in the morning, in your old dressed You weren't expecting to go out.
Speaker 4: I was upbreading.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought you might be going out to meet Benson.
Speaker 4: That's not so.
Speaker 1: It is so, kitty, And you know it.
Speaker 4: What do you want? You can't come in here?
Speaker 1: And I I came to tell you, Kitty, Benson's dead. Oh no, he tried.
Speaker 3: To fight us.
Speaker 1: All right, you better come along with me.
Speaker 4: He wasn't bad, not really. He was good to me, honest he was. He was good to me.
Speaker 1: I don't doubt it, Kitty. But being good to you wasn't enough, not nearly enough. He wasn't very good to his victims, nor to the FBI agency. Shot. Come on, let's go. That don was the end of one of the most intensive manhunts in recent years. John Frederick Benson died by the gun the way he expected to thrive, and the same finish faces any man who thinks he's bigger than the law which governs all of us. Thank you very much, United States Attorney Anderson for this pointed case history and Gangbuster's congratulations to all the law enforcement officers who participated in the investigation leading to the conclusion of this case. Delight's case was dramatized by Statliness and directed by William Sweets, with Ken Lynch and Charlotte Lawrence in leading roles. Don Gardner speaking. Gangbusters is a Phillips h Lord production.