Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Have you ever put butter on a pop jot?
Speaker 3: You're so freakin good?
Speaker 2: Have you ever put butter on a pop jot? If you haven't bet a thank you should?
Speaker 4: Everybody come along with us.
Speaker 5: Have you have a bud butter Runner?
Speaker 6: It's so freaking good.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Have you have a butut butter?
Speaker 2: If you haven't bet a thank you should?
Speaker 8: Hey, this is Jesse Carmichael from Room five. Hi, this is Phil Margol of the Tokens.
Speaker 9: Hello.
Speaker 6: It's Nicole Atkins on the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 7: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show on Hudson River Radio. Brian Horowitz, we have an interesting topic for you tonight. I think it's gonna be a good one. But as always, before we hop in, allow me to introduce all the crambones joining us here tonight. First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory. He was worried about his cell phone collecting data, but his vacuum has been collecting dirt on him for years. Neil Richter is here.
Speaker 8: I deny everything. I plead the fifth. Why are you doing? Everybody?
Speaker 7: I'm weady on that one. From Paranormally yours. She tried a new fragrance today. It's called leave Me the fuh cologne. Jale nuclemb is here.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, that's that sounds wonderful that I would like to order an entire case.
Speaker 8: Did you say that again? A little faster?
Speaker 7: I cannot. And from the silver screen she walked into a bar and the bartender said, hey, you should try this new boxed wine. It's called cardboard dou Mercedes cancers here.
Speaker 9: I think I've had that.
Speaker 7: I think it's lovely, full of fiber. What's the aroma like folding cardboard?
Speaker 11: Again?
Speaker 9: Hey, everybody?
Speaker 7: And our officially retired teacher. He tried to figure out how many skunks it takes to make a stink turns out just a pew. John Kelly is here, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, Yes, Brian Grandbas, how you doing? Everybody great to be here?
Speaker 7: And the host of shaving cream. She heard that Elton John bought his pet rabbit a treadmill. It's a little fit bunny.
Speaker 4: Well, that are the rabbit than me? No treadmills in my house.
Speaker 7: At last, but not least, we have a special guest here tonight. You may have heard his voice on our station IDs in between breaks and whatnot. He is my fellow co owner of Hudson River Radio. Came up to New York all the way from Texas just for tonight. He recently ate two big cans of alphabet soup and then had a large vowel movement. This is Neil Prisco sitting right.
Speaker 12: Next to Heyah.
Speaker 13: I was called the aquacious Ones, So I wonder if that's part of it.
Speaker 7: That's something. Oh glad to have you here for now. We'll see how the rest of the night goes, I suppose.
Speaker 2: So tonight's topic is you may want to run to Texas.
Speaker 7: You may. Our topic is courtesy of Mercedes, and it's lies and liars and all the lies that the lying liars lie about and all.
Speaker 9: That kind of those damn liars.
Speaker 7: Yeah, did I get that right? Was that an adequate description?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 8: Good?
Speaker 7: And actually, Mercedes, you're going to lead us off tonight, so take it away.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to be leading off tonight. I'm really excited about this my section. So my song for this topic is Don't Lie to Me by Big Star. I will venture to say that many of you probably are not familiar with them.
Speaker 8: Wrong, wrong, wrong, So.
Speaker 1: Three out of six, three out of seven seven. So first I want to talk about their legacy. Although the band's career ended in nineteen seventy four, they amassed a vast cult following and still influenced bands to this day. RIM's Peter Bucket admit, we sort of flirted with greatness, but we've yet to make a record as good as Revolver or Highway sixty one, Revisited, or Exile on Main Street or Big Stars Third. In twenty fourteen, Paul Stanley cited Big Star as an influence to early Kiss moments. He said, We've always been about versus choruses bridges. It's called a hook for a reason because it grabs you, and that's my mentality. Give me the raspberries, give me small phases, give me Big Star. The Van was such an influence on the Replacements that they recorded song titled Alex Chilton on there Pleased to Meet Me album, released in nineteen eighty seven. Critics have continued to cite Big Star's first three album albums as a profound influence on subsequent musicians. Rolling Stone notes that Big Star created a seminal body of work that never stopped inspiring succeeding generations of rockers, from the power pop revivalists of the late seventies to alternative rockers at the end of the century to the indie rock nation in the new millennium. Jason Acne and Ane No I'm Saying Anne Kenney A and k e n y Okay. Music critic for AllMusic identifies Big Star as one of the most mythical, I'm sorry, mythic, and influential cult acts in all of rock and roll, whose impact on subsequent generations of indy bands on both sides of the Atlantic is surpassed only by that of The Velvet Underground. A cover version of September Girls appeared on the Bengals nineteen eighty six triple platinum album Different Light September Girls. John Borak, film critic wrote, was and is the scenic snee qua non.
Speaker 4: Bless You, a.
Speaker 1: Power pop, a glorious glittering jewel with every facet cut and shine to absolute perfection, A peerless, aching distillation of love and longing. September Girls may not actually be the greatest song ever recorded, but for the duration of its two minutes forty seven seconds running time, you can be forgiven for believing it is, and I.
Speaker 10: Know that song, so I also have heard Big Star.
Speaker 9: You've heard.
Speaker 1: By the Bengals, though no oh by them the original okay. In nineteen ninety eight, a shortened version of their song in the Street was used for the theme song for that seventy show, and in nineteen ninety nine it was re recorded by Cheap Trick for the same show. From a podcast on NPR quote the statement usually ascribed to Peter Buck of RAM that only a thousand people bought The Velvet Underground's albums in the nineteen sixties, but every one of them started a band also holds true for a Southern band whose albums in the seventies sold even fewer copies, but whose posthumous reputation is just as large. Rhino Records has released Keep an Eye on the Sky, a four disc collection of recordings, demos, and outtakes by Big Star, as well as an expanded version of I Am the Cosmos, a collection of recordings by founding member Chris Bell. They they influenced bands like Rim, The Replacements and Matthew Sweet So who was Big Star. Big Star was a band formed in nineteen seventy one in Memphis, Tennessee by Alex Chilton, Chris Bell, Jodie Stephens, and Andy Hummel. From nineteen sixty seven to nineteen seventy, Alex Chilton was the lead singer of the group The Box Tops, with hits like the Letter and Cry Like a Baby. At the age of sixteen, Chilton became disillusioned by the music industry and left to form his own band. He was offered the position of Al Cooper's position for lead vocals, but turned it down, saying they were too commercial. Chilton and Bell had been impressed by the music of The Beatles. During the band's nineteen sixty four debut US tour. Chilton asked Belle to perform in a rock duo last Simon and Garfuckle, but Belle declined and invited Chilton to join his band, Ice Water, which later became Big Star. The name came from a food store near where they recorded and bought snacks.
Speaker 9: So let's hear Big Star. Don't lie to me.
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 5: No, No, less low Boombo.
Speaker 1: Their first album dropped in nineteen seventy two, titled Number One Record, to good reviews and Billboard stating every cut could be a single. Rolling Stone judged the album exceptionally good, while cash Box stated this album is one of those red letter days when everything falls together as a total sound and called it an important record that should go to the top with proper handling. Sadly, proper handling was not what happened. Their label, Stacks Records, proved incapable of promoting or distributing the record very well at all.
Speaker 9: The record was not even often in.
Speaker 1: Stores, partially because Stas had signed a deal with Columbia, who had no interest in independent dealers that the Stacks had used, and Columbia actually removed existing copies from the stores. So fans were looking for the record because it was actually getting airplay, but they couldn't find the record. A quote from I Believe the NPR podcast stated, their brilliant nineteen seventy two debut album number one record flapped completely because their label, Stacks Records, mainly handled soul music and had no idea how to market it or distribute a pop rock record. In nineteen seventy four, they released their second record, Radio City, but just barely and leading to a similar fate as their first release. There was infighting among the members. They were frustrated and depressed, Columbia refused to distribute the record at all. By nineteen seventy four, there were rumors that there was a third album in the works.
Speaker 9: By the time.
Speaker 1: The album titled either Third or Sister Lovers, depending on which version you bought, came out in nineteen seventy on the Tiny PVC label. Big Star was history. Bell had been killed in a car accident. Jody Stephens continued working at Ardent Studio where they had been recording. Andy Hummel went back to school, and Alex Chilton spent years washing dishes at a restaurant in New Orleans. He did re emerge reluctantly to produce The Cramps. There was a Big Star second era in nineteen ninety three, with only Alex Chilton and Jody Stephens from the original band, and adding guitarist John Auer and bassist Ken Stringfellow of the Posies. They joined Chilton and Stevens. They did play some big shows, and their original earlier material was re released Rhino Records. In Why Can't I Talk, Tonight issued a four box CD set containing ninety eight records made between nineteen sixty eight and nineteen seventy five. Keep an Eye on the sky, including live and demo versions of Big Star songs, solo work, and material from Bell's earlier band Rock City and Ice Water. There are many books out there if you're interested, and a documentary titled Big Star Nothing Can Hurt Me, which is on streaming. I have a friend Alan, who with Susan Shaw, does a radio show All That Gumbo on WIOX Community Radio, the Spicy Sounds.
Speaker 9: Of New Orleans.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about this band recently because I had never heard of them, and Alan was going down a rabbit hole both listening and reading. So I asked going to tell me something I could use on the show today, and this is what he said. They were so ahead of their time in my honest opinion for me, they had to find the power pop genre and are such good writers. The songs are the thing, and Alex Chilton is an amazing guitarist and singer. As I listened to their music today, it is timeless, like all great rock and roll, Big Star Forever. Thank you to Alan, and that's what I've got.
Speaker 8: You know, earlier at the beginning, you said something about who had ever heard of Big Star before? I think the question is more, whoever saw big Star. Anybody have any hants hands on.
Speaker 7: The great, the great pants.
Speaker 8: That would be me. Yes, now now listen, all right, it was a reunion. It was in two thousand and four at Little Stephen's Underground Garage Festival on Randall's Island, two thousand and four, So it was a reunion. I know Alex Chilton was there. I'm not sure who the others were, but it was built a big stars, so it counts in my book, so.
Speaker 7: I would agree.
Speaker 8: I'm good with that. Yeah, very cool. I think sadly Alex Chiltern he died during Katrina when it hit New Orleans and uh yeah that uh he drowned. I think, oh yeah, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: But well, pants, way to bring the way, to bring the episode, to bring it on down there, pants, I mean, seriously, that's all I got your problem?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, I'm glad I got to see him perform before before that though, But yeah, no, the world lost a great talent. And but as he kind of kept it on the down low. I mean, you know, he was not you know, he was not built for superstardom.
Speaker 1: You know, I guess I don't kept it on the down low as much as the record company kept.
Speaker 8: It well, but it probably hit it probably crushed his spirit or whatever, you know, saying well, you know what, yeah, out with it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Sure, all right, Well, mister pants on fire, you're next.
Speaker 8: Of course, I'll try to I'll try to bring it back up a little bit here, all right now. The song I picked is a garage rock classic. It's called Lies by the band The Knickerbockers. Now. The Knickerbockers were an American garage rock band that formed in Bergenfield, New Jersey. She met nineteen sixty.
Speaker 7: Four, right around the corner there.
Speaker 8: They took their name from Knickerbocker Road, also known as County Route five oh five, which is a major thoroughfare that runs just east of Bergenfield and incidentally not far from where I grew up as a kid. Now. The nucleus of the band were the brothers, Bo Charles on guitar and vocals and John Charles on bassin vocals. Their real names, incidentally, were Robert and John carlos Checchino, respectively. Now the brothers played with fluctuating rosters until they met singer and saxophone player Buddy Randall and drummer Jim Walker, and that solidified the classic Knickerbockers lineup. They came to the attention of producer and singer songwriter Jerry Fuller while playing a gig up in Albany, New York. Fuller signed them to the Los Angeles based Challenge Records label, and then for the next several years, the Knickerbockers would try to sound and emulate other Aren't bands that were on top, you know, the musical trends of the time, the fads of the time, such as the vocal harmonies of the four seasons and with lyrics referring to like hot rod cars, somewhat like what the Beach Boys were doing, those songs you know of the day. Now. In nineteen sixty six, the group hit the Top twenty with the song lies We're About to Hear. It's a song that's known for its resemblance to the Beatles, So they kept that trend up and I think the Beatles did all right, But.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 7: This is a little hunch. I think they were.
Speaker 8: About the song really well. You'll see about the song bo Charles said, quote, we desperately tried to write something that sounded like the British invasion, and it took them about thirty minutes to write the song. Now. In fact, the track sounded so much like the Beatles that the record was often passed off as an actual Beatles song to unsuspecting listeners. So why don't we give it a listen? And you tell me what you say?
Speaker 5: Lies? Lies. You're telling me that you'll be true lies. Lies.
Speaker 15: That's all I ever get from you.
Speaker 5: Cheers, cheers, I shall on meaner or you know, cheers cheers. And now you love someone who don't know well jest lies Rea. You think that you're such.
Speaker 16: A smart girl, and I don't believe what you say, but do.
Speaker 5: You thank you? I'll girl to lead me on this way? Nay lies lies. I don't believe a word you say. Lies, lies.
Speaker 3: I gonna make you said something, some gonna do love, but you won't be lies lies bragging mind something but I don't know where just said.
Speaker 15: Lies, bragging mind. I think that you're such a smuck and.
Speaker 16: I don't believe what you say, but believe you.
Speaker 15: Thank you. I don't believe the day I'll go to make your send some day.
Speaker 5: You wag.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know. Kind of sounds a little like the Fab four.
Speaker 2: Just a little movie, Charles right, just a tad you know it has the vibe there, mister pants, you know, a little bit.
Speaker 8: A little bit anyway. Lives was featured on the Knickerbockers nineteen sixty six LP of the same name. It entered the Billboard Hot one hundred in the final week of December nineteen sixty five, and went to number twenty on the charts in late January of nineteen sixty six and remained on the Hot one hundred for thirteen weeks. It also reached number eleven on the charts up in Canada Now. The follow up single was a song called one Track Mind and it would have been a hit as well, and it was. It's a very good song in my opinion, but the band's label mishandled the distribution be Theme Here Going Right, and the single only reached number forty five. Like I said, it's a pretty dark good song too, a very beatlesque as well. But the Knickerbockers pushed on and appeared as regulars on the Dick Clark produced program Where the Action Is between sixty five and nineteen sixty seven, and they also appeared in a film called out of Sight, which I've never seen or heard of, but more films than I've appeared in. But because of the problems with the label, drummer Jimmy Walker left in nineteen sixty eight, and he actually went on to replace Bill Medley in The Righteous Brothers, who I guess who had departed. Not a bad move, I guess when you think about it, and Buddy Randall would also depart soon after that. Now the Charles Brothers, they would continue playing in various forms and under various names, and there were even a couple of Knickerbocker's reunions, although none of them really ever captured their former glory. Now. Both the songs Lies and one track Mine. The singles were included on the legendary Nuggets box set, the collection of garage rock classics basically put together by Lenny Kay of the Patti Smith Group, and a compilation, A comprehensive CD by the band was also released, with both brothers Bo and John Charles being involved in the production. And that my friends ain't no lie. So now go to a concert.
Speaker 7: Well, now the question is did you see them?
Speaker 8: Yeah? You know, I feel free to lie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, well.
Speaker 8: In that case, oh, Yeah, I went over the house. I rode my bicycle over you.
Speaker 7: That's what I wanted to hear.
Speaker 8: Nineteen sixty six, I was what ten years old something like that.
Speaker 7: You may have heard them practicing.
Speaker 9: Mom cooked to dinner, right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, dropped me off and had to pick me up before you know. But yeah, we hung out in the garage. You know, they played and I was dancing. Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, oh, now I know you're lying.
Speaker 2: Well pants, you gave us a visual. It's all I can say.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's that's why I'm here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're gonna end on that visual and take a break and let that do around in your brain for a minute that marinate. Right, Yeah, we'll be right back, or maybe we won't. We're all lying.
Speaker 10: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 7: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 1: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side.
Speaker 17: To Leutson Riverradio dot Com and welcome back.
Speaker 7: We're lying tonight, lying, liars and lies and all that good stuff and John All right, everybody turn, I'm not lying about that.
Speaker 2: No, you're not lying about that. Well, the truth is, y'all may like or not like what I have to offer tonight. However, what I've chosen is the song Liar. And this was written originally by an English musician by the name of Russ Ballard Neil. Do you remember when you used to ride your bicycle over to his house and you know, hang out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I used to deliver papers to his house. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Okay, yeah, I thought so, I thought so.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he recorded this with his band Argent for their self titled debut album.
Speaker 7: I think it was the accent on the rung sala.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ah, okay, Well then I don't know what the Argent Argent Argent Okay, Argent got it. Okay, and that's no lie anyway, Argent for their self titled debut album, released in nineteen seventy. Although it didn't gain a lot of popularity when it was released by Argent in nineteen seventy, it did, however, gain a lot of popularity when Three Dog Night featured it on their fourth studio album, Naturally in nineteen seventy one. Three Dog Night's version peaked at number seven on the Billboard Hot one hundred that year, marking one of the group's many top forty hits during the commercial peak in the early nineteen seventies. But that is not the version we are going to be listening to tonight. I wanted to go old school on this and I wanted to go right where it started because I think it just it shows you that sometimes you have the right song, but maybe it's released at the wrong time, maybe it for whatever reason, and it sometimes it just needs a little bit of a kickstart to give it some popularity. And three Dog Knight did that. But let's hear the original from nineteen.
Speaker 11: Seventy and Argent Ryan.
Speaker 5: Good, Mama, s take my soul.
Speaker 16: That's what you said, then, I want.
Speaker 5: I want to be long as you want me to a lot of way.
Speaker 3: That what you said.
Speaker 18: That what you said, man, what you say, yes say no night, yes it O day.
Speaker 5: If I have a lead, will will be instead. You can't believe in me. I don't believe it. I won't let him go.
Speaker 18: That's what you said.
Speaker 5: That's what you've said. What you say?
Speaker 7: Okay, everybody.
Speaker 2: That was Russ Ballard's liar from his band ur Gent. I'd say that properly there, Okay, thank you. Released in nineteen seventy. Russ Ballard was a founding member of our Gent composed liar during the band's formation in nineteen sixty nine. Drawing from his experience in the British rock scene after stints with groups like The Roulettes, the song explores themes of deception in a romantic relationship. Boy, nobody's ever heard that before, with lines like I won't ever leave you while you want me to stay. Nothing you could do, nothing you could do that could turn me away. Oh my god, that is so cliche. But he made it sound so good.
Speaker 7: You know, it's only cliche now because people wrote it first. That's true. That's true. So that's a little bit now.
Speaker 2: As they said, this particular version, believe it or not, wasn't as I mean, people liked it, but it didn't hit. Didn't it become really popular until Three Dog Night did it in seventy one. And I know other people have done it as well. Neil, you have some experience in that regard.
Speaker 8: Well, Rod Argent Argent like a pirate Urgent Urgent Argent he first came to my ear. Was a member of the band The Zombies in the sixties with time in the season and you know which has the very predominant keyboard parts in it, you know, the organ solos yea and yeah, well, and Argent had a couple other songs, God gave rock and roll to you being one of them that Kiss would cover a little bit later. Probably, I don't know I had a bigger hit, but I mean, obviously Kiss was a bigger band. But I did see Rod Argent and Colin Blundstone together in a reunited Zombies, and again this is probably about twenty years ago or so, but they also played Argent songs too, so I think it might have been in his contract that I'll do the reunion show with the Zombies. He got to play my stuff too, Was it the Zombies es zombiesbi exactly that I didn't mind them playing that song? It was all good, you know.
Speaker 2: Well it's the song has been played by quite a few people, and it was even actually featured in Italian believe it.
Speaker 7: Or not, Yes it was. I'm trying to find that.
Speaker 2: I'm not even going to try to title the Italian I will just say suffice it was actually even featured as a hit in Italian as well, And you can google that because I'm going to ruin it trying to even pronounce it.
Speaker 8: What what what is the Italian word for liar?
Speaker 12: What's spell it? How do they spell the title?
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 2: I lost it here, it was, oh you're you're you're putting me on the spot here, guys, I.
Speaker 8: Think there's just as many. So, I mean, you know, love is like the theme of most songs. I think liars are probably a close second.
Speaker 7: Yeah, guess which one comes first? And then I can tell you.
Speaker 2: Three dog Nights selected Liar for recording after encounting Our Gents version on the band's Self Tired album. So they saw it on the album and decide and they got their idea for it for it then, so it's, oh, you know what, I'm gonna have to pop in later on the show for the Italian version. Guys, I don't want to take all the time.
Speaker 8: No worries.
Speaker 12: I was just curious, curious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's but anyway, yeah, yeah, that liar. Oh boy, But anyway, I'm kind of babbling on here, but that was a liar by uh the Argents and mister Ballar and hope you will.
Speaker 10: By any chance bugiarto that apparently the Italian word for a lawyer.
Speaker 7: Sounds like a dish.
Speaker 13: I saw the other night.
Speaker 2: It was here it is it was the song's influenced extensive adaptations in other languages, such as the Italian Pforte di Noi performed by Bruno Bruno Barisi Ela lyrics by Luccia and Medini in nineteen seventy one as well.
Speaker 9: I love that version totally.
Speaker 7: Ahead of the album came with one of those little tiny plastic tables on it, so it didn't.
Speaker 12: I used to use this when I was little, used to use this from my Barbie dolls.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, if you cut them down, you can actually put them in for the forty five on your turntable.
Speaker 9: Really, you're a lion.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 2: What I liked about the song, and this is no lie, was it was people liked it, but it didn't really get any chart success when it was first release, but it spawned a whole era of people taking that music and kind of making it their own. And so that's what I like about it, And that's no lie.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 8: I'm surprised nobody picked the Lion sleeps Tonight. Oh wait, no, that's different Leon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Leon sleeps Tonight, their pants on fire.
Speaker 8: The Lion.
Speaker 7: I think we beat that to death enough, all right, we're gonna dump it over to our special guest here and make it his problem to dig out of the hole. Can't wait.
Speaker 13: That's what I do best, all right. So one of the songs that I went through was from a van Queens of the Stone Age. I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with them, that they have been around for a while. They've had different iterations. They actually started as a band Caias that Josh Hammi and Nicol Valari were in. They then parted company and then Josh went into play guitar and backing vocals for the for Screaming Trees, and in nineteen ninety six they were on the Lallapalooza tour, so anyone who went to that show got to see a pre version of Queens of the Stone Age at ninety six. I was lucky enough to be able to see that show. As they went through they've had different members of the band. Mark Lanagan from Screaming Trees was a guest vocalist and has done a lot of work until his passing here some years ago. Some other members of the band you may know was Dave Grohl. He played drums and he actually put his Foo Fighters second album on pause to go play with Queens of the Stone Age. One of the comments that Dave made was that the band that made him kind of get back into and want to continue with rock and roll was Caius and Queens of the stone Age. So there's a lot of begetting with these bands. Kias and Screaming Trees turned into the Queens of the Stone Age. So they went through This is from their sixth studio album. It was Light Clockwork and it was an outstanding album. It had two big hits on it. The one is I Sat by the Ocean, and the song itself goes into quite a bit of relationship issues and it's very very descriptive of what Josh Hamie was going through. He's gone through divorce, breakup, and it's a very common theme with a lot of music. So when we listen through this, you'll hear a lot of it. But again, Queens of the Stone Age have been around for a while. I highly recommend listening to any of their newer albums. I was fortunate enough to go see their Catacomb's performance, and many times you go see these artists and it's a concert, you rarely see a performance. What Queens of the Stone Age did was they had an orchestra, They had audience interaction. It was one of the most interactive and kind of big shows that they had done, but it was a performance. The Austin version of it is on Austin City Limits that they have available if you have a chance on check them out. One of the things about Queens of the Stone Age they have splintered off into many other groups, one of them being the Eagles of Death Metal. They've also done another one with Josh Hammie Dave Grohl and this basis that you may know John Paul Jones from a little band led Zeppelin. They've done some touring with that. And a side note, Cheryl Crow has asked Josh Hammy to produce her new album and some several songs not show Crump Sorry Shania Twain, which is kind of a departure from what he's used to, but when we get back the song itself will lend into some of the themes that he was going through during his divorce and breakup at that time. In twenty thirty days, he said, go ahead, Brian, We're going to listen to I Sat by the Ocean by Queen's Stone, you know.
Speaker 19: The Sadbody Other Child enjoy the full shirt thing to raise.
Speaker 5: You sas down at the bottom, yet I could blace you very eyes.
Speaker 19: Try it doesn't change and the things for baby does to.
Speaker 5: The Frontisle said that does baby not.
Speaker 8: Jo to.
Speaker 13: Not be what.
Speaker 5: It's said on the road.
Speaker 16: And the loss said what the say 'm saying.
Speaker 5: So way some boy view of the god with some of us in free that is a fun day. This is the day day because times the reels and man it's not so still but the same sens.
Speaker 13: Again Queens of the Stone Age from their album Light Clockwork. As you can guess it's it's a very common tone of breakup and how to deal with it, and a lot of times with breakups we only hear one side of it. Again with this one, this is goes through the the typical and very common idea of I'm going to go drink and I'm going to go do this to try and cope with and get over the breakup and the heartache and the feelings. But you go through a lot of these, you know, types of stories, and you feel sorry for him. One of the lines is you know your friends feel sympathetic for me, but I don't think they should. They go through and he talks about the situation of untruths and was it something that happened or was it the untruth of the situation. One of the lines that catches you is, you know, lies are a funny thing. They slip through your fingertips because they're never happened to you. So it's one of those ideas of when you do lie or lies are happen, the person doing a lie isn't really absorbing what happens because of it. Josh really captures a lot of that, and they're very very much into kind of changing some of the common phrases of different lyrics. If you listen, it's a time wounds all the heels as we fade out of you. You know, even though time passes on, those heart feelings continue through. So yeah, time heals all, but does it really? As you go through some of the other lyrics, and Josh is very much into a little bit of dealing with those situations in those indirect ways. But this album itself was during one of his harder times of the breakup, the divorce, the kids and.
Speaker 5: All of that.
Speaker 13: So as you go again with some of that is the lie itself, the situation of the relationship of Hey, we're gonna be together forever. We've all heard that before or is it something that happened deeper? But again, is it all the story or is it just one side of it? And you also have to take into consideration this was after a night of heavy drinking, you know, I drank the potion to try and forget of you. So is he doing a little artistic license of this or is this just him being very honest about it. So it's very indicative of a lot of what Queens of the Stone Age do. They've got a lot of different albums out there.
Speaker 7: If you have a chance.
Speaker 13: Again, they were one of the desert rock and they call it Stone of rock groups that came out the Desert Sessions Sessions. I'm sorry they've gone through again if you haven't heard of them, if you haven't heard any of the spinoffs, go through. But it's one of those great songs that bears feelings without really bearing those feelings, and you've got to listen to through that. So again, thanks to Josh Hami and Queens of the Stone Agent. I thank Brian for being able to go that one time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was a lot of fun. I had never seen him, you know, I was impressed.
Speaker 13: It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they have They are very very well versed, and they have a lot of versatility.
Speaker 7: I've the interaction with the crowd too. That was a big thing.
Speaker 13: And you may not like one song, but you made like another song or another album.
Speaker 7: So and it was outside in Texas and it was still fun.
Speaker 13: I think it was what May or April, I don't remember. I've got the T shirt somewhere.
Speaker 7: Okay, so without a doubt. Nice, all right, good one, Thank you, Neil, thank you. We'll go back to New York. Now you're leaving, right, Yeah, I'm okay. That's it, one and done. Uh, Gail, you're up.
Speaker 12: Okay, that's kind of a hard act to follow.
Speaker 7: But are you lying?
Speaker 12: Sorry?
Speaker 10: No, I'm not going to Texas. I should go to work in Nanuet tomorrow. So I actually chose a song from an artist whose music I don't normally like, but this particular song grabbed me the minute I heard it, and I just think it's a really good song. It's by Sheryl Crowe, who was born February eleventh, nineteen sixty two, which means she's about three years younger than Me. She's an American singer, songwriter, producer, actress, and guitarist.
Speaker 12: She has released twelve.
Speaker 10: Studio albums, five compilations, three live albums, and contributed to several film soundtracks and A Partridge.
Speaker 12: And a Prey You Know You Knew I had to go There.
Speaker 10: Her most popular songs include All I Want to Do from nineteen ninety four, strong Enough nineteen ninety four, which is the one I choose if It makes You Happy nineteen ninety six, every Day Is a Winding Road nineteen ninety six, Tomorrow Never Dies from the James Bond film in nineteen ninety seven, My Favorite Mistake, which actually is another one I that I do like of hers from nineteen ninety eight, and Soak Up the Song from two thousand and two.
Speaker 12: Now the song I chose. Strong Enough is the song from.
Speaker 10: Her debut album, which was called The Tuesday Night Music Club, which came out in nineteen ninety three. It was co written by Crow and produced by Bill Botrell, who also wrote co wrote it. The single was released in November of nineteen ninety four by A and M Records, and it reached number five on the US Billboard Hot one hundred for three consecutive weeks, now three in Australia and number one in Canada. In Australia, it received a double platinum certification for sales and streams exceeding one hundred forty thousand units. It charted higher in the USA, Canada, Australia and the Netherlands than elsewhere in Europe. And let's he listen and then I'll give a few fun facts.
Speaker 5: After gotta be like hell to night.
Speaker 12: To use a rage, I cannot bye be the last?
Speaker 6: Help you understand? Are you strong enough to be Moby? Nothing true and nothings by? Let me be alone to night because you can't change the way I Are you strong enough.
Speaker 5: To be mobbing.
Speaker 12: By a promise? I believe?
Speaker 5: But still.
Speaker 12: He face cannot show.
Speaker 6: Make the rules up as I do, strive love me if you can.
Speaker 5: Are you strong enough to be Mom?
Speaker 20: I used Johnda Meme Ma Man, I used John enugh to be. I used John.
Speaker 6: When I shown you that I just don't care when I'm doing butches in me when I broken down buck instead to be man enough to be mad Man? Promise?
Speaker 5: I believe loud, but.
Speaker 10: Don't I think the lyrics to that song are so poignant because on the one hand, she's saying, are you strong enough to be with me? You know, with all my faults and everything. But on the other hand, she's saying, lie to me, I promise, I'll believe, just please don't leave. So to me, that's that's really poignant lyrics, and people have been in that sort of situation.
Speaker 7: She was probably on his Netflix account.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one of the other, Yeah, exactly. Anyway, this is a little scary to me. In live performances, she often plays the accordion to it. Yeah, shades of weird al amazing, although this instrument was not thankfully featured in the original According recording Travis Tritt wrote and released an answer song called strong Enough to Be Your Man in two thousand and two. I tried really hard to listen to it. It's a country song. You know how country and I do not go together.
Speaker 2: So you said you loved country if I recall correctly, right, No, I love my country.
Speaker 12: I don't love country.
Speaker 4: Views More importantly, did he have accordion in his song?
Speaker 10: No, he didn't, and it's in completely different melody and just you know anyway, Cheryl Crowe has sold over fifty million albums worldwide and has won nine Grammy Awards from thirty two nominations. In twenty twenty three, she was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In addition to her music career, she has appeared in television series and films which I did not realize, including thirty Rock Rock, GCB, I Don't Know What That Is, Cougartown, One Tree Hill, and NCIS New Orleans. In nineteen ninety seven, she contributed the theme song to the James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies Now.
Speaker 2: That's cool?
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, And in two thousand and five, she contributed Real Gone, the opening track to the soundtrack for Disney and Pixars two thousand and six animated film Cars.
Speaker 12: How cool is That?
Speaker 13: Also did a version of a Sweet Child of Mind for A Big Daddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I want to listen to that. That's I love that song.
Speaker 13: It's a good one. She was also my favorite mistake. That song was about the relationship with Eric Clapton.
Speaker 12: So that was and it wasn't a rumor.
Speaker 8: Yes, interesting, you said there was this the country guy the travels now he did a response? Was that also? Was he the guy she was singing about?
Speaker 12: I don't think.
Speaker 8: So, Okay, why would you respond to it if it's not about maybe wishful thinking he.
Speaker 7: Wanted a new swimming pool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, I just ride the coattails.
Speaker 7: Yeah, she wouldn't be that.
Speaker 8: She wouldn't be the first one to write a lot of songs about you know X.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we know, we know a couple of people that did that.
Speaker 7: So we actually, Neil and I saw her when just before she was making it big. She was on the Hord tour in ninety was that ninety four ninety five? It was the Alman Brothers were the headline, hard.
Speaker 8: H Could you say that again?
Speaker 7: Yeah, brothers were the headline, and there's a Blues Traveler organized it. Blues Traveler was on the big side, and it was just before Dave Matthews made it big. So those were the three government Mule was on it, the Mule, Sheryl Crow was on it. Who else? But yeah, so we saw that that in Saratoga.
Speaker 13: I actually saw him that summer prior to Darien Lake. So it was billed as the Alman Brothers, but it was part of the Horde turn. I actually have maybe it was maybe.
Speaker 12: Got her, you really got him enunciation.
Speaker 9: Sorry, but I really loved the hoard tour.
Speaker 13: That's a different type of.
Speaker 4: Who doesn't love a good hord tour?
Speaker 7: Please don't. I don't know if our insurance covers that.
Speaker 12: So that's it, very good.
Speaker 7: Here's one other.
Speaker 13: She was a backup singer for Michael Jackson.
Speaker 7: I read that she was an elementary music teacher first, and then I wanted to make it big and then wound up doing that. Yeah, there you go. All right, excellent. That was a good one to end on a happy note this time. So we're gonna take another quick break and we have two more, so stick around. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: This is Hudson River Radio dot com. Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 7: All right, welcome back to our show about lies and lying and all that stuff. And I'm not gonna lie about this one. I know what Barbara picked, and the reason I know is because I picked it. I wrote the whole thing up and then got her text message that this is my selection, and I.
Speaker 4: Went h But but last week, when you gave us the topic, I told you I wanted I know you did.
Speaker 7: But I didn't remember it, and then I didn't see your text message until I after I wrote it all up. But that's okay. So we'll see if our notes are are similar.
Speaker 4: On the spot look at all?
Speaker 7: Right, I picked a whole different one. I went in a totally different directions.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you did. I'm sure we're no like, way better than mine.
Speaker 7: To No knowledge goes to waste. So I saved my notes for no, just.
Speaker 4: Interject whenever you want. I'm cool with it. So it's fine. So we we picked Lies by the Thompson Twins. And before I go on, I have to apologize to my buddy Pants here because it's quintessential eighties, which I know he doesn't like.
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I I've been busted before about you know that it's not entirely true that I.
Speaker 7: It's not the whole decade. No, no, something.
Speaker 4: It was good. I mean, you know there's except But the thing is, I back when you know, they were popular, I was in college, So this is a type of thing that I listened to. So Pants, I got one question for you. Yeah, when you were a little kid in New Jersey riding your bike pasted all those people's houses.
Speaker 8: Yeah, did they call you shorts? Well not not until I stood up. Yeah, but no, anyway.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, I just figured how to grow me.
Speaker 8: Thanks. I have no comeback for that. But no, actually, well this is the type you know, the Thompson Twins et cetera were the type of bands that and Mercedes can back me up on this. That the station w l I R out on Long Island that championed a lot of this stuff. Uh, and they were the only ones playing it at the time. So yeah, I I I do like this song, so you know, Okay, I appreciate your concern, but actually I actually saw Tom Bailey of the you know, Thompson Twins perform just himself with an all female backup band.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm gonna talk a little bit about that, but that's all right.
Speaker 8: That's okay, good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's no, that's good. I'm okay, sure, okay. So anyway, moving on the Thompson Twins, where they called themselves an English pop band. I looked at several sources and they like to refer to themselves as an English pop band. They formed in Sheffield in nineteen seventy seven. They kind of started out as a new wave group and they were not, believe it or not, actual twins. The bands the band's name comes from the fictional characters of Thompson and Thompson, who were Intelligence service detectives from the Adventures of Tintin Comics by Okay, now we have a fan, everybody.
Speaker 8: The next thing, you're gonna tell me that the Ramones weren't brothers. Wait.
Speaker 4: I really don't want to let you down there, but okay, I will tell you.
Speaker 8: Then you can lie about it. Sorry, all right?
Speaker 4: Okay, So Adventures of Tintin Comics by Belgian cartoonists Urge that made their debut in nineteen thirty two. The original Thompson Twins' nineteen seventy seven lineup consisted of Tom Bailey on bass, guitar and vocals, Pete Dodd on guitar and vocals, John Rug on guitar, and John Podgorski on drums, and this lineup remained for about three years before undergoing numerous lineup changes, which I'll touch upon a little bit later. They released their first single in nineteen eighty and their first studio album the following year, achieving modest commercial success. Also by nineteen eighty the band included Bailey, Dodd, Rug, and drummer Chris Bell, with former roadie Joe Leeway and saxophonist Jane Shorter joining as well. However, recognizing that a smaller lineup was more practical, they reverted back to being a TREDO in nineteen eighty two, consisting of Alana Curry along with Bailey and Leeway, and the other band members were then told that the band was breaking up and were allowed to keep their instruments, with the understanding that they were not to perform using the name Thompson Twins. The band broke into the UK singles chart and the US bill were Hot one hundred in nineteen eighty three with their single Lies, which we'll enjoy now before we discuss further.
Speaker 8: Of me.
Speaker 7: So I don't understand.
Speaker 15: Why promises are snapped into what's a man defense.
Speaker 5: Beggar stolen from Japan to look from around the world and shore they can size? Why not to catch you out?
Speaker 7: No one's on your mind.
Speaker 14: Cleopatra died for regents, right, don't waste time?
Speaker 7: White one wine some you can't disguise, twist.
Speaker 13: Shopping half for youtp, hiding in your eyes, Si Si.
Speaker 5: Yea Li fly, Sli.
Speaker 14: Li Fly flies, sails TI hard up.
Speaker 5: But I think it's just too late.
Speaker 2: When the car is rubbing in the drive and I'm not listen to.
Speaker 5: A begar.
Speaker 7: Some nick from.
Speaker 5: Outside around the world. Love Lives On Lives Lives Yet You.
Speaker 16: Live Lives Lies Ye.
Speaker 3: Live Size Lies Yet Lives Lives Lives.
Speaker 16: Ye size Size Lie Size Sive Live Size Live Lie Size.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 4: Also in nineteen eighty three, the Thompson Twins' biggest success came with their single Hold Me Now. We peaked at number four in the UK, number three in the US.
Speaker 12: And I just have to say this.
Speaker 4: When Hold Me Now came out, I was I think I was almost home from college or I was getting ready to come home from college, and Hold Me Now. I was pleased and horrified at the same time because to me, it's a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful song, and I love it so much. It's one of my favorites. But it meant to me like Thompson Twins were like selling out and going mainstream because it was like it was like a pop tune. It wasn't, you know, like their usual stuff. And I was like disappointed, but the song was so good that I wasn't disappointed for a long I love this.
Speaker 12: I do too.
Speaker 4: It's Beautiful So. Their nineteen eighty four album Into the Gap sold five million copies worldwide and included the singles hold Me Now as well as Doctor Doctor. In nineteen eighty five, they participated in Live Aid, performing three of their songs and were joined on stage by Madonna. The follow Joe Leeway left the band, leaving the duo of Tom Bailey and Alana Curry, and at this time their music style shifted more toward electronic pop. Their nineteen eighty seven album Close to the Bone and their nineteen eighty nine album Big Trash received some positive reviews, but did not achieve the commercial success of their prior work. Bailly and Curry got married, and the band officially ended in nineteen ninety three, with their last album, Queer, being released in nineteen ninety one. During the late nineteen eighties into the early nineteen nineties, they wrote material for other artists such as Deborah Harry. But I'm sure you guys haven't heard of her, so I'll just keep going. They then formed a new electronic project called Babbel, releasing two studio albums with songs featured in the film's Coneheads in nineteen ninety three and with honors in nineteen ninety four. Curry quit the music business in the mid nineteen nineties to raise her children and to raise awareness against genetic engineering and food and the environment. And to illustrate her point, she designed a billboard that showed a woman with four breasts hooked up to a milking machine to spark a debate against genetically modifying cows with human genes to produce a new kind of milk. Say, I wonder what they put on that milk carton and she and Baally divorced in two thousand and three, and there has never been an official reunion of the Thompson Twins, but in twenty fourteen, Tom Bailey returned to performing their songs as a solo act. Brian, did you have anything you'd like to add?
Speaker 8: She did not.
Speaker 9: Research.
Speaker 7: That's I think you hit everything I had as well.
Speaker 13: Okay, So if you play solo, was it a Thompson Twins or the Thompson Twin or was.
Speaker 7: This just Thompson?
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, that's what I need to know.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so I know he's still touring, but I haven't heard of anything like locally that I would go see. But I would really like to see.
Speaker 7: Him that would go on, Yeah, I would definitely, yeah, absolutely, Yeah.
Speaker 13: Well, there's such a there's such a big thing of having all those conglomerations of artists from the eighties and the nineties play like three or four songs and they go through and they do, you know, their big hits, and then they go and they move on to.
Speaker 4: The next Well, they do those things called nostalgia tour.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's where I saw him. Was like like a package tour with that, maybe six or eight different you know, and they and you know, they came on and play their hits and you know, and move along. But you know what that that's fine now, you know, I just want to hear the hits. I don't want to hear I don't want to hear new stuff. I don't want to hear I don't want to hear deep cuts. Play the songs.
Speaker 12: I know this, no play the song.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 13: I won't admit to it, but I did. Somebody may have seen Vanilla Ice a couple of years ago with Different.
Speaker 7: I was down with it, are you kid? That was Coolio was part of that package tour too. Well, it was right before you died. Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 13: It was color Me Bad, but it was like color Me maybe.
Speaker 7: Color It happened to be the same tour and my family we saw it up here in New York by coincidence, like a week or two later, he saw it down in Texas with his wife. Yea, but Coloring Me Bad wasn't there, because that would have been time to get a drink.
Speaker 8: Some of them have to get there and do a medley of their hit yeah.
Speaker 13: Exactly, And I don't remember this guy from that band. I was like, that's not color Me Bad. That's like color Maybe It's Me bad? Isn't the rest of the band?
Speaker 8: So they had It's just bad?
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm kind of glad we didn't get that versions. I had a good night. It was a lot of fun, you know.
Speaker 13: I just did a good job. But yeah, I've seen those nostalgia ones, and I think the Thompson Twins would be a good one.
Speaker 7: Definitely. Yeah, that would that would be a good one. I'd go cool, all right, thank you, barbar I got one more for you, and it happens to be the third song of the night. That's just simply called lies. But again, I'm the outlier. I'm going back ninety for the outliar there, Brian out liar. Uh huh. I'm also going to freely and truthfully admit that was unintentional, but I'll take credit. I'm going back to nineteen thirty one for my selection and this. This song titled Lies, was written by George E. Springer, with the music composed by Harry Barris, who was one of the many forgotten composers of the era. Unfortunately. Barris was born in nineteen oh five into a Jewish family in New York City. They moved to Denver, Colorado, where he started playing piano. He was a tiny little kid. He was thin, he wore his hair slick back, but he was good so people liked him. Started playing professionally at fourteen, and he put a band together that was booked on a tour of East Asia at seventeen.
Speaker 8: Wow.
Speaker 7: Pretty good. He got married at twenty, had a daughter at twenty one. In nineteen twenty seven, at age twenty two, who was playing and singing in a popular orchestra at the time that two other singers, Al Rinker and Bing Crosby had joined up to teens Oh play with them. You may have heard that name yup that orchestra was booked into a large New York City theater, but unfortunately that theater did not have a sound system, so nobody could hear what they were doing, so they got dropped pretty quickly. Wasn't the orchestra's fault, it was kind of the venue's fault. Seemed to be unprepared. But somebody in that orchestra also knew Barris and suggested that they team up, which they did so Harry Barris, Al Rinker and Bing Crosby. The three of them became the Rhythm Boys in April nineteen twenty seven. By nineteen thirty, they were hired to perform with the legendary Coconut Grove Orchestra in the world famous Coconut Grove Nightclub in the world famous Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, which happens to be the same spot that RFK Senior would be shot in nineteen sixty eight. Each of the Rhythm Boys would then go on to solo careers, with Baris writing a number of big band songs along with appearing in around sixty films. He usually played a band leader, which seems fitting because he was a band leader and a handful of those films. Yeah, handful of those films actually starred Bing Crosby, so they were clearly still on good terms. And like many stars, he would go overseas to entertain the troops during World War Two. Unfortunately, Harry Barris wound up with a bad drinking problem. He wound up falling in nineteen sixty one and fractured his hip, and he just never recovered from that. He died at age fifty seven, just after his last song, titled Never Been So Lost, was published. His nephew is or was Chuck Barris also made a name for himself, and.
Speaker 4: I was wondering if you were going to say that, Yeah, huh.
Speaker 7: He wrote the early rock and roll song Palisades Park, done by Freddy Cannon and later covered by some group that I think Neil's heard of. Yeah yeah, yeah, if you think of it just happens.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's on the tip of my tongue, ye spillet pants Yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 7: And he would create the Newlywed Game and the Dating Game, and he hosted the Gong Show for Remember the Gang Show.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I love that show.
Speaker 1: At least five versions of the song I'm sorry I had to blurt the sound blurt away, do you know that he lived in Rockland? I did know, Yes, he lived in Snathan's Landing. Yeah, yeah, he lived next door to a friend of mine.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I didn't know that.
Speaker 8: Didn't they make it? Was there a movie about him?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Essions of a.
Speaker 8: Something.
Speaker 7: We're way off on the wrong person. But he made a story that he worked for the CIA. So they went through all that and it was all nonsense. He made it all up. He later admitted he made the whole thing lies. It was all lies. It does tie in, okay, but yeah true. So at least for five version of the song Lies were recorded shortly after it was published in nineteen thirty one, Bing Crosby did one Gus Harnheim with vocals by Dave Marshall, was apparently a famous orchestra. I hate to admit I don't know that, and Gene Austin in nineteen thirty one. So I'm going with the Gene Austin version because it's someone we never talked about, and I think it's time to bring somebody new into the mix. We talked about Bing Crosby, we've heard his songs and stuff before. So Gene Austin was born Lemuel Eugene Lucas. It's a shame you don't hear the name lemuele Mule.
Speaker 13: I need to bring it back.
Speaker 7: It is a perfect name for uh La Lama as far as I'm.
Speaker 8: Nothing like a barnyard animal.
Speaker 7: So yeah, yeah, we don't hear that too often.
Speaker 4: Le Mule walks into a bar.
Speaker 7: Le bartender says, let get out.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 7: Lemuel was born in nineteen hundred in Gainesville, Texas. He learned piano and guitar, and then ran away at age fifteen. As one I guess may have done back at that time.
Speaker 8: Okay, if my name was Lemuel, I would have ran away a lot sooner.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I would have had a few words. He wound up at a vaudeville show in Houston, where part of the show was that they would invite audience members to come up on stage and perform you know, open mic ish kind of thing, and the friends he was with dared him to do it. So he did it, and he actually did so well at it that the Voudville show hired him. After the show that night, they offered him a spy. So there you go. That's why you should run away. Don't run away. Wait, maybe name your kid lemule.
Speaker 8: Maybe that that's the secret, depends on which direction you're running in.
Speaker 7: I guess that's also true.
Speaker 4: This is a heck of a PSA.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know which advice to take her, so I'm leaving it out to you. Austin joined the army at fifteen and served in World War One because apparently they didn't check IDs back then. After being discharged, he moved to Baltimore to start law school and that didn't work out, and he started dental school and that didn't work out. So clearly a smart kid who just was on the wrong track. He wound up back behind the microphone where he belonged, and he became known as one of the early crooners that we've talked about, like especially Bing Crosby. This is when microphones got much better and singers got their own microphone. They were able to get up close and kind of used the microphone as an instrument, you know, moving in and out depending on your volume and your and the emotions that the song called for. So he was on the list of crooners. He had a long list of hits, both as a songwriter and a recording artist, and he got promoted on tour by one Colonel Tom Parker, who may have worked with some other individual that we may or may not have heard of before.
Speaker 8: I think he worked with the Ramones too.
Speaker 7: I think so. I think it was the Ramones. I think it was Elvis Ramone.
Speaker 13: Wait, I think the thing I started a KFC could be, could.
Speaker 7: Have been, could have been that guy also. But yeah, Geene Austin sold over eighty six million records and we really don't talk about him anymore, which I think is kind of a shame, because way do you hear his voice? His best known recording is the nineteen twenty eight song My Blue Heaven, which would thirty years later be covered by Fats Domeno and become a giant hit. Unfortunately, Austin died in nineteen seventy two from lung cancer. So he was around for the Beatles. We'll give him that. So let's check out. He was what seventy one? He would have been seventy two. He was born in nineteen hundred, which makes him that easy. And you still missed it.
Speaker 13: Now it's not my strong point.
Speaker 7: That's all right, you were close. We'll give closer minus fies. Fine, So this is nineteen thirty one Lies by Gene Austin.
Speaker 5: Lie that made me.
Speaker 7: Lie, That made needles.
Speaker 14: You lie to me the day that you promised you the true.
Speaker 5: Lie.
Speaker 14: That bro my Molly believe them, but mes lies sad.
Speaker 20: You told you what.
Speaker 5: Love you.
Speaker 8: The whole.
Speaker 11: Ly?
Speaker 7: So great voice. And again we've said it before, this was a time when there was no editing, no redoing. There was only starting all over again and all that and done straight through, which I like it. I like that stuff. It's good to pop that in every once in a while. So there you go.
Speaker 13: We'll chose the musicianship and the professionalism and all of that. They did so much of that. Just all right, we're going.
Speaker 7: Yep, that is true. It's still a time when your local radio station still had live musicians. Wow, yeah, that was the norm. Well, again we've said before, the term disc jockey was derogatory because it used to be live musicians, and station owners realized it was cheaper to just buy records, so you went from musicians to these idiots that just move records around, and there's your disc jockey. So it was an insult that wound up getting embraced like crambone. All right, that's all. I've got any final thoughts, any final lies, truth, anything in between before we wrap it up.
Speaker 13: Remember, pop rocks and soda don't really actually cause an insumt, So that's true, you know, Neil.
Speaker 2: We will have to keep that one in mind.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and birds don't explode from rice at weddings. Wait they don't, No, they don't.
Speaker 13: I did have one I wanted to go back to. Were the treving Wilbury's all brothers because they were all Willbury?
Speaker 7: Mister Richter?
Speaker 13: Is that true? Or for is that along the same lines as the Ramons all being related?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think they were all born in the same hospital.
Speaker 13: Okay, I'm just making sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, that means it's time to pull the plug.
Speaker 2: Before we pull the plug, just can I say, mister pants on fire, enjoy riding your bike around the neighborhood.
Speaker 9: You know, boy, John, you're on fire tonight.
Speaker 12: Do you bet you can coffee all day?
Speaker 8: I could make a very bad joke about that, but I'm just not gonna know.
Speaker 12: John.
Speaker 4: What kind of an app where you it's taken before?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 2: Apparently a very deep one.
Speaker 7: Good for you?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 7: All right, outstanding? Well, thank you cram Bones. For excellent selection as always, and thank you mister Briscoe for coming all the way up from Texas just for our show today. Thank you for it was nice to have one here so and thank you all for joining us for the Rock and Roll History Show. And don't forget to subscribe to your favorite podcast app and check out all the other shows we do at Hudson River Radio because there is something for everybody. We will hopefully see you next week, no promises, We're gonna have to see how it goes, but we'll be back at some point with another brand new episode. Until then, be careful and peace out, everybody.
Speaker 10: Rock bottom, okay.
Speaker 8: The Bye
Speaker 13: Radio dot Com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful, the multi hundred dollar corporation