Speaker 1: What's up on Kyle Gowner and welcome by Shock.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome everyone to the third annual Shelf Shock Rewind Awards with Me tonight is Michelle Kisner, my co host. Michelle, thanks for doing it this year.
Speaker 3: Thanks for asking me on. I'm really excited to see all the winners tonight.
Speaker 2: How about you tell everybody what you do for physical media before we get into this.
Speaker 3: Well, I am mostly, like you know, a working film critic, and I also do essay work. You might have seen me and some I've done stuff for Arrow, I've done stuff for Vinegar Syndrome, Umbrella just recently Terror Vision Severing. So I've been in quite a few boutique releases and I have a lot of stuff coming up this year too that hasn't been announced. But that's mostly what I do, just film critic and essay writer.
Speaker 2: Before we get too deep into this, wanted to say thanking Michelle, but also a second person who helped create this thing with me very first year. Let's bring on mister Steven Billings.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry, I wasn't ready.
Speaker 5: Wow this quickly. Wow.
Speaker 4: Thank you guys, Thank you guys for having me back on at the beginning of the show just for charity, just to throw me back in back in here.
Speaker 5: I'm like that benefactor.
Speaker 4: I'm like the benefactor, Like he the owner of the football team that nobody wants to hear from.
Speaker 5: But he's got to come in and like be like, hey, guys, what's up.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't do anything I.
Speaker 2: Did stuck by the scenes. Appreciate me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's awesome. Third year, Ryan, did you think it was going to make it this far?
Speaker 2: Honestly, No, definitely not especially. I mean we just got an intro from Kyle freakin Gellner, who's like one of the biggest names in horror. That's a big deal.
Speaker 4: Exactly, man. And and you know, I'm not as I'm not with it, you know, Like Ryan is doing most of this work. Man, He's he's killing it. He's getting all these people, he's making connections. He's doing a fantastic job keeping this alive. I do some I do video work for it, that's it, you know. But Ian's killing this thing. He's keeping this dream alive that me and Ian started a few years ago.
Speaker 5: And it's it's looking beautiful.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 4: This is getting funner and funner every year. So Michelle. I'm glad to see. I like that we're doing a new host co host every year. It's good to see new faces.
Speaker 7: And there's my co host.
Speaker 8: Hi.
Speaker 4: Now usually you're used to seeing every year I do an ad. You know there is gonna be something this year. Unfortunately, she will not be starring in any Wives Love Physical Media this year. I didn't get to do that one with the wife and the kid. But she is going to say hey real quick and so you can see her grow up through every shelf shock. But I do have something for you guys this year. You'll see it midway through the show. I hope you guys enjoy it. But yeah, that's it. That's all I got. I just want to say good luck tonight to all the nominees. Who's gonna win? Who knows. There's some great releases this year. One of my favorite, I'm gonna get on my throat out there real quick from cip Roadkill Nice is like my favorite release last year. I think it is nominated for something, so it's getting crazy. So hopefully that wins something tonight. But yeah, that's all our guy guys. I'm gonna let you guys get this show started and got this too. It's awesome. Good shirt, my favorite shirt.
Speaker 2: Having night, Stephen, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: See Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, so before we get into our first award, really wanted to shout out tonight that the show this year is all the dedication to Lee Gambon, who we lost last May. The last time that we did this in February, Lee was once again in the comments as we were live, championing how great this was and wishing that we could do it over and over and over again. In fact, if you go back and watch last year's you see him ask if we can do it every six months, and I say, God, know, that is so much work. But Lee himself is the one that got me into this industry, so I have to say thank you to him. He was an incredible person who I think about often and just honored to be able to do this in his name tonight. And on that note, I think it's time that we bring in our first award.
Speaker 9: Hello.
Speaker 5: I'm Chris O'Neil.
Speaker 10: I am a filmmaker who has contributed several video essays and audio commentaries to various physical media releases, and I am also the cinema programmer here of the Triscal Art Center in Cork, Ireland, where we're filming this segment, and today I am presenting the award for Best pre Code Silent Film Release.
Speaker 11: Dante's Inferno, Tear Vision, Hackson from Radiance Films, Laurel and Hardy Year two Flicker Alley, Luis Fuyad The Complete Crime Serials nineteen thirteen to nineteen eighteen Eureka Entertainment Pandora's Box Criterion Collection.
Speaker 5: So there are two awards.
Speaker 10: The first is for the Creator's Selection Committee and the winner of the Best pre Code Silent Film as voted by the Creator's Selection Committee release is Luis Fuad The Complete Crime Serials nineteen thirteen to nineteen eighteen from Eureka Entertainment, and the winner as voted by the community is Hickson by Radiance Films.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, you know, I never really think about these things in advance. At anytime there's a win, it's a great surprise, you know. And obviously we poured a lot of love into Hackson, and yeah, I'm glad that people have appreciated it, and and you know, all the hard worker is kind of being rewarded in a way. It was it was a bit of a different one for us because it was our first silent film, so it may have bought some people by surprise, but you know, we're fans of all kinds of cinema at Radiance and hopefully the first of many silent three years.
Speaker 13: So yeah, it's an honor to receive the award.
Speaker 14: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: All right, congratulations to Radiance. Got Hackson right here, incredible look and release. This is a good time to be able to share with everybody that in each category we're gonna have two winters to night. One is from the Creator Selection Committee, which is essentially our version of the Academy. We've got a bunch of creators that are YouTuber's podcasters, people from these labels, filmmakers, people that you would be pretty surprised to hear are wanting to be involved in this, but I'm so stoked that they would want to do it. So you are going to see a lot of really great things picked on by them. So essentially they're picking what they want and then the community you all also got to pick as well. So in every single category we're gonna have two winners. Silent film is a really overlooked one, so I'm glad that we can shine a light on that. Any thoughts on Hackson or the Louis fuiad release there, Michelle, So Hackson.
Speaker 3: I didn't pick up because I like already had a release and I'm trying to not double dip on things. But it's a fantastic movie. I mean, if I already didn't have it, I would have totally got that set because it's beautiful. So yeah, definitely deserve that one, for sure.
Speaker 2: It absolutely did. But also the exact opposite of silent films is contemporary suiting films. And to that we go to one of my favorite people, my dear friend, mister Jeremy Long.
Speaker 15: Hi one ticket for the ignore her star Wars stuff on Dave, Dave, Dave Jamdy Christ.
Speaker 16: How many times do I have to tell you, Papa Rozzi, that I'm not Dave Gruel, Okay.
Speaker 17: I'm Jeremy Long, the male portn star.
Speaker 2: No, the comedian.
Speaker 6: I wrote Clickbait the Netflix show.
Speaker 18: Well, whoever you are, can you present the Award for the Best Contemporary Studio Relief.
Speaker 16: Hey guys, it's me Jeremy Long, comedian writer, and.
Speaker 19: Hey listen, and I guess apparently Dave Gruhle with a lot of guys.
Speaker 9: Suppose.
Speaker 16: Anyways, it's an honor to be back for a year three of the Shop Shock rewind Awards, and once again for the third year in a row, I'll be presenting the award for Best Contemporary Studio Release. Without further ado, let's just dive right into it. The nominees are.
Speaker 19: You may remember last year I dressed up as Barbie to announce the award for Best Contemporary Studio Release. Well, unfortunately for you, I created an only fan since then, So no free content this year.
Speaker 2: But if you want the.
Speaker 5: Link, viam me after the show.
Speaker 6: Don't know Ryan.
Speaker 19: Okay now one of the nominees.
Speaker 3: Civil War four K Amazon exclusive, A twenty four lions Gate, The Fall Guy four K, Universal Studios, furiosa A Mad Max Saga four K Warner Brothers. I Saw the Tea bo a twenty four Shop exclusive, Love Lies Bleeding four K, a twenty four Shop exclusive.
Speaker 16: Welcome Back, and the winner both the CSC and community vote is.
Speaker 20: Some role please, furios I'm Mad Max.
Speaker 16: Saga on four K, and unfortunately you caught me out in about at the movies, so you're probably wondering does he have the release to hold up? And the answer is nope. Back to you, Ryan and Michelle, Dave.
Speaker 3: Girl, you heard that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a big deal. Mad Max is continuing to put out incredible films. I love the people love that one, and yeah, a big deal for freaking George Miller in his least old eighties doing this stuff. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I felt like that movie kind of got pooped on a lot by people, but I thought it was pretty good. Like I mean, obviously it's not Fury Road because that's nothing will ever be Fury Road ever again. But I thought it was good for what it was. And you know, guys eighty making movies and they're like that action pack that's pretty crazy. So let's ask earlier if I was wearing a Mullahulan Maholland Drive shirt and I am. That is shout out my boy David Lynch, who passed away unfortunately as we all know. But I had the warrant tribute. But then I like, you know, I angled my camera terribly so you can't ever see it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, congratulations to mad Max Fury not Fury Road Furio. So mad Max Saga love that Warner Brothers is doing great stuff with that but not only are we getting obviously brand new titles released on physical media, but studios are still doing their best with catalog titles and for that we are already into.
Speaker 21: Our My name is Kevin Tutor and I'm one of the hosts of Almost Major, a movie podcast where we talk about the mini major studios and the film's they release today. I'm here to talk about the best studio catalog releases. But first let's go to the nominees.
Speaker 11: A Nightmare on Elm Street four k, Warner Brothers, Bringing Out the Dead four k from Paramount Pictures Chinatown four k, Paramount Pictures, north By Northwest four k from Warner Brothers, The Searchers four k from Warner Archive.
Speaker 21: And the winner as the creator's community voted for nine Mare on Elm Street four k, and also that was the community's vote as well, because that's a two for two and I did something that is very papped for this.
Speaker 2: Please hand me this dog. What the fuck is this? Kevin is amazing. Everybody needs to go check out the Almost Major podcast. Congrats to Warner again for the Nightmare Elm Street four K. I got the UK version of this one, and of course now we're seeing an indication that we are getting a full box set on four K this year potentially, which is I'm.
Speaker 3: Glad I waited because I was like, if they did that one, maybe they're coming, you know. And again, I'm trying not to double it. I'm trying to be an informed consumer.
Speaker 22: You know.
Speaker 2: I wish I would have done the same. Yes, although I won't be too upset. We'll see what they can do.
Speaker 3: With it different extras.
Speaker 2: Anyways, you got a history of Nightmaray and Elm Street. When's the first time you watched that one?
Speaker 3: Gosh, when I was a kid, that was one of the horror movies that I watched with my dad. We watched like pretty much everyone that came out until we'll be like, you know, after my parents got force, obviously I adn't seem as much. But yeah, especially Dream Warrior. That was the one we watched together all the time, we had it on tape. And yeah, so that's still my favorite one too, is the third one. So if they throw a four K out of that one, I will buy that immediately.
Speaker 2: In a heartbeat. We are going to do one more award before our first giveaway, so everybody get ready for that. When we do giveaways tonight, We're going to have to have a question and the first person that we see a correct answer from your getting it. We'll explain that after we do this award, though, Let's go over to Dustin with Best Animation Release.
Speaker 9: Tape.
Speaker 15: Oh Hi, I'm Dustin Putman, physical media enthusiast, author of The Front File, two time guests of Reconnected, and film critic to literally thousands of reviews at the film file dot com.
Speaker 5: I'm so pleased to be here today to present.
Speaker 15: The twenty twenty five Shelf Shock Rewind Award for Best Animation Release. Animation is a medium in which, quite literally anything could be made possible, the only limit being the imagination of the artists involved, and it is because of this that it's one of my favorite categories. The nominees for Best Animation Release are.
Speaker 11: The Boy and the Heron four K Steelbook from Shout Studios, Fella Day four K DEF, Crocodile Tamla twenty ten, A Punk Cat in Space def Crocodile Transformers one, four K Steelbook, Paramount Pictures, The Wild Robot four K from Universal Studios.
Speaker 15: Oh, it seems like the cats might have already gotten into the envelope.
Speaker 23: Hello everybody, my name is Honam, and I borrowed Danny's phone to announce the winner for both the community vote and the Creator's Selection Commity vote, the award goes to Fella Day four K. Congratulations to def Crocodile for this tacastic release.
Speaker 11: By now.
Speaker 24: That that honestly surprises me, given the other titles that were in the in the the running, I mean, I'm glad it was, you know, obviously my favorite and anxiously waiting for this disc to come out for so long, So that's that's awesome. When I saw the nominations list, I'm like, oh, well, it's nice to be nominated.
Speaker 25: Honestly for the director, Michael Shack, for Paul Boulder, for all of the incredible members of the animation team who supported this release.
Speaker 6: So happy.
Speaker 25: You know, this movie really kind of slipped between the cracks when it came out.
Speaker 6: It never got an official.
Speaker 25: Release in the US. And it's such a dark, amazing kind of combination of a cult thriller film noir detective story with cats and catacombs and skeletons and all sorts of crazy stuff. And even given the insane world we find ourselves in right now. It's got a very kind of prescient sort of socio political message as well about ethnic cleansing. Not to give any spoilers away, but I think it's a good moment for people to watch Felladay and kind of pay attention to what it's saying. So I'm so happy. It took a long time to get this one released. Was not easy, So I'm so happy that people are appreciating the work of Michael Shack and his credible team of artists and animators, and I think they're super excited that this film that they clearly put a ton of creativity and love and passion into. You know, it's taken more than thirty years, but finally people are coming around to appreciating it the way they love Watership Down or The Plague Dogs, or a lot of other animated films that were clearly made for an adult audience.
Speaker 6: You know, which is which is tough? Which is tough.
Speaker 25: Apparently when the film came out, they sort of marketed it in Germany for kids, and I can't even imagine being a kid at that time going to see Feladay.
Speaker 2: All right, here is Peladay four K an incredible release. I had some people asking earlier where the good doctor was Doctor Will Doddson. He's on this release. Go check out the commentary. He and I discuss this film and it's a it's a really great release, incredible film. One thing that we don't get a chance to honor during these a lot is indie studios. We get a lot of places like Scream Team Releasing or independent filmmakers that put out their own films. So like this year, one of the big ones was Chris biggles Potter Noster and The Mission of Light. This is an incredible one. Everybody should go check this out. But Scream Team Releasing, like I said, is an indie studio and they've got this release Close Calls. This is gonna be our first giveaway of the nights. Michelle, why don't you go ahead and announce that giveaway?
Speaker 3: All right? So the trivia question for Close Calls from Scream Team Releasing is what was Close Calls director Richard Stringham's day job before becoming a writer and director.
Speaker 2: And now we'll let you go look that up. Why don't we repeat that one?
Speaker 3: Just know that off the top of their head. For sure, nobody would cheat and look that up. At all.
Speaker 2: First of all, that gets it is going to win. Promise. Indie studios and indie film is a big deal. Everybody should check those out. Things like Kickstarter and indie Gogo are home to some of the future actors that you'll see in years that are making indie horror that are oh good god, these comments are hilarious. Hey Jack Cane, you are our winner for tonight. Please go ahead and send your address to Shelfshockrewind at gmail dot com. I will get this out to you this week and thank you for trying. Everybody that said deep fry cook or porn fluffer. Uh sorry, maybe next time. All right, So that is our first giveaway. But that brings us to a pretty dang big category, and that is best Martial Arts Release, which has been ramping up in competition over the last few years with a huge number of titles. Let's see what we can check out for best Martial Arts Release, everybody.
Speaker 26: This is Kala from Kaleb's Kung Fu Cinema. First off, I want to thank Ryan and Michelle for asking me to be a presenter on this year's Shelf Shock Rewind Awards. For those of who do not know me, I am a host for a YouTube channel called Kalbs Kung Fu Cinema. I've been doing that for about five years now, and I really just use this channel to talk about things that I love, which are martial arts movies and other action movies. And I also like to document my ever growing collection of Blu Rays.
Speaker 6: DVDs and the like.
Speaker 26: But enough about me, Yes, today, I am here to present the award for Best Martial Arts Release. Obviously, there are many releases that came out the previous year that are deserving of this award, but as we all know, here at the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards, we're here to see who will be taking it home. So the nominees for Best Martial Arts Release are.
Speaker 27: The Game of Clones, Bruce Boitation Collection Volume one, Severian Films, Golden Harvest Volume one, Supernatural Shockers, Shock Studios, The Heroic Trio, Executioners four K, Criterion Collection, Ninja Terminator, Neon Eagle Video, Shasco Volume three, Errow Video.
Speaker 26: And the award for Best Martial Arts Release has voted by the Creator Selection Committee Goes too. It is a tie between Shasco Volume three and Game of Clones Volume one, and the award as voted by the community, goes to Game of Clones Volume one. Thank you and congrats to our winners.
Speaker 28: Thank you, thank you for this award for the I think it's the best martial arts release of the year.
Speaker 3: What is so Yes, we are working on more so we thank.
Speaker 2: You, oh Man, David Gregory went all that for that. I'm so grateful. I've got Shasco Volume three here, really incredible release from Arrow, and you've got Game of Clones Volume one. We get a volume two coming eventually. No word on a release date.
Speaker 3: Yet, but through my mind that this came out, like these movies have been so hard to find. There are like all bootlegs, Like that's all I got rid of, like all my bootlegs because of this release. Like how cool is this? This is like we're living in a golden age. Guys, appreciate it right now because the hell.
Speaker 2: It's a pretty impossible release and the fact that it's volume one huge deal.
Speaker 3: I do want to give a little bit more of a shout out to be a Terminator because I fucking love this movie so hard and this release is incredible. Like if you like Ninja Terminator, this is the release to get. And I had the original movie that like they stole parts of to like combine it into to make Ninja t It's just this release is fantastic, so like I'm just giving this, I'm just giving it a little extra love. You know, I didn't win, but it won in my heart.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, even then, Neon Eagle Video does not get enough attention. The titles that they're putting out are really fun. They sell out very quickly.
Speaker 26: There.
Speaker 2: They're doing great work, mostly under the guys of Jared Honor who's also from Mondo Micabro. Great curation, really good time. Martial arts a major Heyday right now through home video of course, and really maybe only second to horror, which seems to win no matter what. That's always the big release that people love is anything related to horror slashers. So it's a time for our best horror release haping.
Speaker 29: My name is Katie. I make videos on YouTube about horror movies. I have a specific interest in euro horror and Italian horror, so feel free to stop by my channel and say hello. That channel is Katie of the Night. But more importantly, I am here today to present to you the best Horror release category in Shelf shock Rewind Awards. The nominees for Best Horror Release are.
Speaker 11: All the Haunts Bres a compendium of FULK Horror Volume two, Severin Films, The Blair Witch Project from Second Site Films, The Hitcher four K Second Site Films, Hush four K, Screen Factory Opera four K from Severin Films.
Speaker 29: It is now time to present the winner of Best Horror Release. The winner of Best Horror Release, as voted by the Creator's Selection Committee is All the Haunts be Ours, a compendium of Folk Horror Volume two by Severin, and the winner, as voted by the community is All the Haunts Bres. A compendium of Folk Horror Volume two from Severin.
Speaker 2: All right, this is a reminder of all the hard work that goes on these box sets. This thing is a legendary release, just like the first one was. The first release won a ton of awards here when it first came out, and now we have a second volume. So that might not be the last time you hear that title announced tonight. But next we have our next surprise of the night. We had our little celebrity intro, but we had somebody that wanted to share some of their favorite releases from twenty twenty five, So let's shoot over to that video.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 7: My name is Francis Gloopi. I'm a filmmaker, physical media collector enthusiast. I just realized I'm wearing a physical media hat. That was not intentional, but here we are anyway. Ryan and Jeremy I wrote The Disconnected, asked me to come on and talk about some of my favorite releases of twenty twenty four. There was a lot to choose from, so this was tough, but I picked five. I'll try and make it quick. I'm going to start with Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid from Criterion on four K. This thing is gorgeous. It has the fiftieth Anniversar release, which is, you know, maybe the closest thing we're going to get to peckan Pause, original vision original cut for this movie. Next up is The Conversation from Lionsgate Limited. This thing is just a beast. This is one movie, and yeah, it has a tape in here of the soundtrack. It features Laurent Duro's artwork. It's just gorgeous. Next up is Rolling Thunder from Shout Studios. This is one of my favorite movies, and yeah, Jackson Stewart and I actually did a commentary track on this thing. I promise that's not why I chose it. It really is one of my favorite movies and it's a beautiful transfer. But if you want to listen to Jackson and I just kind of geek out about this thing for the entire runtime, there it is. Next up is Opera from seven and forte. Again, just a beautiful release and it's our gentle it it's finest. So that's in there. And last is Cannibal the Musical from Benninger Syndrome to Gosser Video. I've been waiting for this for so long. I'm such a big fan of Matt and Trey and just everything they do. There's in the booklet, there's an essay from Walter Shaw. I'm just so happy if this thing exists anyway. So those are my five picks. Thank you so much for having me. I hope you all enjoyed the rest of the Nichel Shock Relined Awards, and yeah, go Physical Media. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: If you would have told me two years ago when we were doing this for the first time, that the director of one of my favorite movies of last year was going to be sharing his favorite picks on the show, I would have laughed so hard at you.
Speaker 3: And he picked some good stuff. I had that Rolling Thunder set. It is a great set. That was actually the first time I watched the movie as well, so and it's fantastic film.
Speaker 2: Very dark, sure is, and it's one of the better transfer Shout has worked on the last couple of years, that's for sure. Yeah, look great, all right. One area that gets overlooked a lot in physical media is documentaries. I love documentaries a lot, and I'm glad that we've seen a bit of an uptick in some documentary release. So now we go over to somebody who just released a pretty incredible documentary himself. Let's go here from RYE Levy.
Speaker 30: Hello, everybody, my name is Ry Levy. I am a documentary filmmaker and I am honored to be able to be here to present the Physical Media Award for Best Documentary Feature Release. Documentary feature films have often been a little overlooked in the physical media space. However, we've seen an increase of incredibly beautiful and wonderful releases in that spectrum. I have benefited from this with my own film Out in the Ring and I'm also thrilled to have just made a film about this exact topic of physical media collecting, called Boutique to Preserve and Collect. So I am absolutely honored to present the award for Best Documentary Feature.
Speaker 3: American Movie four K Sony Pictures, The Battle of Chile It Chris Films, Enter the Clones of Bruce, Seven Films, Papatopolis, Terror, Vision Scala, Severn Films.
Speaker 30: In both categories, the Creator Selection Committee Award and the Community Award to my very good friend David Gregory, director of Enter the Clones of Bruce, released by the incredible Several Films. Congratulations David, and to all the other nominees and winners.
Speaker 5: Oh thank you.
Speaker 17: Wow.
Speaker 31: This is a real honor. Thank you so much to CSC and community for voting a documentary among the best documentary releases. And I want to give thanks on behalf of my co producers who I couldn't have done it without Frank Jang, Michael Wirth, Vivian Jang and Jim Koons. And yeah, this is beautiful. It is actually because it's a piece of the staircase of the original Texas Chains or Massacre House, and it's another special Easter egg for the community.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 31: Here is a photo of Bruce Leigh One of a kind board on a train circa nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 3: Cooler board on a train than I've looked in my entire life.
Speaker 2: It's annoying, isn't it? Oh Man, that is so cool. I love that people have loved this documentary. They worked their tail off on these things. Severin puts so much time into their box sets and this one is no joke either. And if you've not picked it up, don't forget. Buying it from their website gets you an exclusive film, like if you buy the wide release, you don't get the extra disc. So check it out on their site if you were looking into it after tonight's show. Now we get into some of the technical things. I am a big fan of, you know, audio quality and video quality like the rest of them, although I don't even have a proper audio setup. So this is one that I rely on some other people to be able to look at this in a better light. And I couldn't think of anybody that would be better to present this than somebody who runs audio on feature films and TV. My friend Brian Dembinski.
Speaker 32: My name is Brian Dembinsky, and I write the out of print column for the Physical Media Advocate. I also review long forgotten movies on letter LD for days as a day job by my production sound mixer, and I've done a fair share of TV shows and films, so I know how important it is to hear the dialogue and how bad sound can sink a good movie. However, when the sound is great, it takes the movie watching experience to a whole other level. This year, the nominations for Best Audio Presentation.
Speaker 11: Are Alien Romulus four K, Twentieth Century Studios, Civil War four K, Amazon Exclusive A twenty four and Lions Game, Dune Part two four K, Warner Brothers, Godzilla minus one four K from Toho Opera four K, several films.
Speaker 32: The winner for Best Audio Presentation as voted by the Creators Selection Committee is Godzilla minus one from Toho Congratulations, and the winner for Best Audio Presentation I was voted for by the community is also Godzilla minus one from Toho. Congratulations.
Speaker 17: Toho.
Speaker 32: I can't wait to hear what gets released in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I don't have this one. I really need to pick this one up.
Speaker 3: Oh god, it's a very sexy set with all the extras don't have subtitles.
Speaker 2: That is a monster of a release, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Look at that except his award for Okay, well put that away.
Speaker 2: I mean they did that with the oscars, so it makes sense to do it here. Love it with audio. We got to go straight to video. And I know that I made the joke about the last one being upsete. Oh look at that. Got Celestian said, is Godzilla here to accept his award before you did it? That was great. Let's go straight to Australia to talk about the best video presentation. Hello.
Speaker 33: My name is John Matthews and my involvement with the physical media world is on the podcast side. I'm involved with Indicator casts but also quite heavily involved with Imprint casts with my colleague and co host, Tony Mitches. I'm also involved with some of the Facebook groups like the Imprint group and also the Indicator group. And today we're honored to be presenting this. I'll pass it over to my colleague Tony.
Speaker 34: Hi, everybody, my name is Tony Mitchis. I'm also involved heavily involved in the Facebook community groups is for the Imprint Film's Black Like in Span group, and the Imprint Cast Facebook pages and of course co host with my partner and colleague John here for Imprint Cast as well as frequent collaborator on Indicator Cast. And I would like to thank Michelle and Ryan personally for inviting us along to be a part of the Shelf Shop Round Awards for the second time in the row.
Speaker 33: So we're very honored to be talking and presenting the best Video Presentation category. Obviously, in this world of physical media, video presentation is very important with the amount of extensive work put into restorations.
Speaker 34: Well, it is important for film lovers in particular because, as John and I rip you us basically like we love watching movies in thirty five millimeter or seventy millimeter on film at the cinema, but also in the physical media world, even though you won't get that exact same feel, at least you have to have a decent presentation on home video now with four K, can't get any better than this.
Speaker 33: It's very important now because the bar has been raised from various labels and it seems like every month we're getting more and more amazing releases, and I think the four K format has pushed it to a whole new level and labels that of just you know, working with the new technology and obviously the HDR technology in various formats, it really has pushed it up to the next level. So we're I guess honored to be presenting this because we're very spoilt as film lovers to have amazing presentations with new releases month or months. So yes, we're we're proud to announce us. And the nominees are.
Speaker 3: The Case of the Bloody Iris four K, Celluloid Dreams Opera four K seven Films, the Hitcher four K, Second Site Films, the Keep four K Vinegar Syndrome, the Silence of the Lambs four K Ero Video.
Speaker 34: Okay, And the CSC winner for Best Video Presentation goes to the Hitcher four K from Second Site Films.
Speaker 33: And the Community winner for Best Video Presentation also goes to the Hitcher four K from Second Side Films.
Speaker 34: Congratulations, well deserved released, I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 33: Absolutely, And just to comment, the amount of time that was put into this was worth it. I know there was a long wait on the Hitcher as you know, Tony, I think they announced it maybe two years ago, but it was worth it because what we got was one of the best possible video presentations we could have got for the film in four K.
Speaker 6: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 34: Thank you all and congratulations once again.
Speaker 2: Thank you here it is the hitcher four K one that people have been waiting for years for in a ginormous release from Second Site. They never fail to put out literally the definitive release of the films that they're releasing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to replace. I had the call the German Blue Blue Ray. I think it was like an upscaled It didn't look great. Also, I don't understand German, so I couldn't read any of the extras. Well, this was in English, so I enjoyed it quite a bit more.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal, huge release. Not to mention the fact that the studio allowed Second Sight to go back to the actual elements, which was one of the main reasons why this was delayed for so so long. And now we have a film that people wanted for years. And funny enough, many of the ones that we're covering tonight we're on that list of like this will never be able to be released, and somehow we're holding them our hand. Twenty twenty four was a massive year for Grail titles for everybody. And one of the reasons that we're allowed to revel in those is all the great retailers that we have. So in the US we've got places like Diabolic DVD, Orbit DVD, Brother Bellile, Atomic Movie Store, Grindhouse Video, there's some more. In Canada you've got rough Cut Video. The UK has a handful of shops like Treasured Films, there's Deaf there's a couple of new stop shops that just opened. I think one is called Lime Wire if I remember. Right over in Australia we've got dead ENDDVD and a couple others. So I really want everybody right now to in the chat shout out your favorite what's your favorite retailer to get physical media from other than direct from the labels themselves, which is always a great place to buy them. Make sure that you continue to support that way. But if you're going to be buying from a third party retailer, put your favorite one in the chat. And the main reason for that is I have our next giveaway. Our next giveaway is going to be a Brother Belile fifty dollars gift card. You can check that out. But in return for this gift card. Let's give a shout out to Brother Belile by watching this short video. Spot love physical media.
Speaker 35: Want to support small business, Come check out Brotherblile dot com a sibling selection of footique releases from all regions, collectors, editions, imports, media, books, deal books, box that's four K Blu Ray Final Wow. All orders over one free, all in stock items ship immediately at no extra costs.
Speaker 3: I'm careful with the movie.
Speaker 35: Go come check out www dot Brotherbelile dot com today.
Speaker 2: So if you've never given Brother Belile a try, give them a try today. They do really great with shipping. And the big thing is you can pre order five things with five different pre order dates and they will ship as soon as they're in stock, not when the last one gets in stock, as soon as each one is in stock, at no additional cost to you. Check them out. Uh. As far as our giveaway, looking to the chat for the answer to our next question, and we've been so caught up on Bruce floitation tonight, let's discuss one more question surrounding that. Here is the question for the giveaway. Uh, you are again gonna get a fifty dollars Brother bliad gift card, and please answer soon as you can. Here we Go, Which Bruce ploitation film has Bruce Lee in quotes teaming up with Popeye? Which Bruce ploitation film is Bruce Lee teaming up with Popeye? Please give an answer there. So, Michelle, what's your favorite retail store?
Speaker 3: Die Back? They're my favorites, and I also like Orbit, Like basically I just bounced between them. They're like I'm in a three way with them right now, like, go to Diabolic and if they don't have it, I'll go to Orbit and then just go back and forth. But they're both fantastic. I do most of my pre ordering with Diabolic actually because they've just never let me down. It's like funny. I'll see people online and they'll be like, oh, I pre ordered it from Amazon and like the cover was ripped in half, and I also got it three months later. Never had an issue with Diabodic on time, perfectly packed, no dings anything. So I mean, if you want, I think they're the best for preorders.
Speaker 2: Honestly done. Caster, you are the winner of the fifty dollars brother Belile gift card. Please send an email to me at shelf Shock rewind at gmail dot com. Let me know you on the Brother Belile gift card and I will get that email to you as soon as possible. Man, there's a lot of frustrated people saying the dragon lives again. I'm sorry. Somehow even my wife answered the dragon lives again. You must have googled that very quickly. Well done. All right, we just got done talking about best video presentation. But one of the great things with video presentation is just the way that we've seen the upgrades, whether something is going from VHS all the way to four K, getting a first time on disc release or anything like that, it is a huge chance to see what we can get out of some of these films. And I figured the best person to talk about that is a VHS enthusiast. So let's send it over to lunch Meet VHS. Yo, what's up everybody?
Speaker 36: Josh from Lunchmate here, lunch meet VHS on the internets. How you doing, glad to.
Speaker 5: Be here, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 36: If you like VH stuff, VHS stuff, if you like it, come and get it at lunch Meat. We got it everything you've ever wanted on VHS, which is a good segue into and the nominees for Best Home Video Restoration Upgrade are.
Speaker 11: Bringing Out the Dead four K Paramount Pictures, The Case of the Bloody Iris four K from Celluloid Dreams, The Hitcher four K Second Site Films, The Jar from Terror Vision, The Keep four K Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 36: And the winner of the Best Home Video Restoration Upgrade as voted by the Creators Selection Committee is The Hitcher from Second Site Films, the Community Winner.
Speaker 5: The Keep from Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 2: Both great things, both great films.
Speaker 36: Congratulations to the winners, and I'm gonna go watch The Keep on VHS in the other room, Rwander die.
Speaker 37: Hey, all right, well listen, I'm really glad, thank you. The Keep was a lot of Obviously, that was the title that a lot of people had been looking forward to seeing come out, myself included, so to be a part of that restoration was really great. A lot of work went into that one, so thank you. I'm glad it's being recognized.
Speaker 2: All right. Obviously, a pretty huge title in twenty twenty four is Michael Mann's The Key.
Speaker 3: Sad No Slip Case, and it's in a plastic which makes me look like a poser. I've seen this movie for it. You guys have a last stuff. I'm a big stack.
Speaker 2: It's it's a big deal. Obviously, sold like crazy. I think it was like thirty four hours to sell like fourteen thousand copies, including a couple of thousand that were not in slip covers. Good stuff from Vinegar Syndrome, Glad it looks great. Congratulations on the win. This again another like giant Grail title that people have said for years we were never going to get, and here it is in beautiful four K and it's incredible. All right. So now from that, speaking of slipcovers, it's always the right time to talk about packaging because many people think that's what it's all about. So let's talk about these companies that put a lot of thought into our packaging, including slipcovers, how the discs are housed, how everything goes into these just to get it onto your shelf. Let's look at best packaging design.
Speaker 3: Hi, my name is Rachel Belvoir.
Speaker 17: I write for the website Comic Con and have a regular callum and the Physical Media Advocate, But today I'm here to talk about packaging.
Speaker 5: Packaging is important.
Speaker 17: It's the difference between waiting for that package of Blue Rays to come in the mail and finding out that the discs are loose or they're scratched, or my personal favorite man, you try to take the disks out and it feels like you're gonna break them.
Speaker 27: That fun.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 17: I don't know about you, but I find sometimes the most expensive sets out of Verse defenders usually the more discs involved, So I guess in that sense it makes sense, but it doesn't. And sometimes it's your favorite TV show. I don't know which one I could be referring to, but yeah, where the cases are hard plastic, the discs are stacked for no explicable reason, and suddenly the show that you want to be able to turn on all the time, you're overthinking it and saying, maybe I shouldn't or maybe I need to buy new cases that don't break the disks to house it in, which kind of makes no sense to and gets expensive. But it's all part of being a collector, but it shouldn't be the part. It should be watching the movies, because as fun as Blu rays are to display on a shelf, the point is to watch the movies. Whenever the joy of getting to have a new film or show to your collection gets spoiled by having to think, well, should I really buy this because I think the packaging is gonna make me nuts. That's not fun. So to the labels this year that considered function as well of cool cover art, do not think your efforts are noticed, because they are and it really makes all the difference in the world. Thank you. Uh so We're about further do you. The nominee for Best Packaging Design this year.
Speaker 3: Are All the Haunts be Ours a Compendium of Folk Whore Volume two, seven films, The Hitcher four K Second Site Films, The Never Ending Story, four K Imprint Films, The Tenant four K Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 2: Through the Looking Glass four K mel You Scene.
Speaker 17: C Ife and Community Binner for Best Packaging Design this year is Well the Hunts b Are the Compendium of Folks Volume two from seven films. Congratulations seven Films.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Rachel for that tribute to Lee Gambin on the shelf there. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Yes, All the hauntsvirs beautiful sets. This is one of those sets, of course, that has the ability to house a book, a book lit and then all of the discs are in this that you can reach into and I gotta be honest, they have improved from their old box sets. They are easier to go and I'm glad they're being recognized for this because this is a pretty incredible package. Hope people that have not checked it out check it out.
Speaker 3: I will say, though that numberriting story in Prince I have that big it's over there, like it was too big to bring over here. I was like, I don't know my cousin accent or something, but it was beautiful. Just it's so but it is definitely big, like it's hard to display, but one of the best looking sets I've ever seen in my life. It's absolutely gorgeous.
Speaker 2: One that is beautiful. That is causing me some fomo? Is that one? But Stephen Billings, who was here at the beginning of the show, wanted to speak out about people that are perhaps experiencing some fomo. So here's a message from our founder, mister Stephen Billings.
Speaker 4: Hello, my friends, I'm Stephen Billings, and I'm here to talk to you today about something I think all of us physical media collectors have gone through at some point, the fear of missing out or fomo as we call it, whether it's a limited edition slip cover, or just the limited a number of copies that it's made for a certain release. We've all been through it, and not only that, just the financial stress that physical media collecting can have on a person. But I do have a service today that I think can help you. It's called Fomo no Mo. Fomo no Mo is a counseling service that helps you manage the day to day stress that it takes to be a physical media collector. Whether it's managing how you use the sites to buy your physical media, or you just I need somebody to talk to you, to tell you, hey, you don't need.
Speaker 3: This, you own it.
Speaker 4: Twenty other times, We're here for you. And if you call today, you get a free Nicholas Cage emotional support pillow. Whenever that movie that you really want to buy but you don't have the money for it comes up, you just take up.
Speaker 13: You just take this.
Speaker 4: Thing and squeeze it, and you just say, put the bunny back in the box, Put the bunny back in the box.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 4: Everybody call today. One eight hundred Fomo no mo. I say it again, one eight hundred f O m O n o m O Fomo no mo.
Speaker 13: Thanks gus.
Speaker 2: Oh man. I know a lot of people loved his commercials last year. This was this was a big step up from last year.
Speaker 3: My boyfriend is that service for me in which he just like he every time he comes over and he's like, oh, is that new, And I'm like, oh, that's like a six month old pre order, but it's a lie. It's I bought it a week ago. And he's probably watching this, you know, because he loves me, so now he knows my lies over the years.
Speaker 2: He probably already knew. He just understands. I hope everybody's having a good time so far. We've got a couple more awards to go before our next big portion of the show. So let's go into one of my favorites, which is best Steal Book.
Speaker 20: Hey, Cheff shock Rewinders. It's me Ryan, one of the co hosts of the New World Pictures podcast, where we talk about every movie released by New World Pictures, New World Video, New World Television, New World International, et cetera. And I'm here to introduce the Steel Books of the year.
Speaker 5: Steel Books. You know, we all love steel books.
Speaker 20: I bet even one of the co hosts of this very show absolutely loves steel books. Steel books like Rock and Roll High School or Forbidden World or Battle Beyond the Stars all films released by New World Pictures that we covered on our podcast. Maybe if you like those movies, you'd like to check out an episode. I don't know. I'm not here to tell you what to do. I'm here to tell you who won. And the nominees for the Best Steel Book of the.
Speaker 2: Year are.
Speaker 11: Body Double four K from Sony Pictures, The Crow nineteen ninety four four K from Paramount Pictures, A Nightmare on Elm Street four K Warner Brothers saw X four K from lions Gate Thanksgiving four K Sony Pictures.
Speaker 20: And the winner of the Best Steel Book of the Year, as chosen by the Creator Selection Committee, is the Body Double four K by Sony Pictures. And the community winner of the Best Steel Book of the Year is also the Body Double four K steel Book released by Sony Pictures. Congratulations to everyone having the exact same opinion and those of you who only have this do you even like physical media?
Speaker 3: Ask yourself, that's the exact one I have.
Speaker 2: I love that not only is it the Indicator release, but it's just the blue Indicator release and not like the limited edition one.
Speaker 3: I do have the limited edition one. At the very least, I.
Speaker 2: Will say I do have the body double steel book, and I think it just proves we all really just want the original poster art like this. This is gorgeous on a steel book. We don't want some you know, crazy new pop art that is just not great.
Speaker 3: I will say I'm not I don't like steel books. So when he was like one of us like steal books, it wasn't It wasn't me.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I just like clanky and they get scratched and they're always like they always make like seven, so like you never can get them, and everybody's really angry about not getting them, and you feel like, you know, sit an alarm like for two am on a random Tuesday to buy it.
Speaker 2: That's true. Josh Artado says the crow shouldn't even count since I don't believe anyone ever got that steel book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they made three of those, you know, three and.
Speaker 2: A half for some reason. But really the important part on steel books is the artwork, and of course many these releases that are not steel books have great artwork as well. And I still can't believe we did this, but I hope people like who we got to do the announcement for this section.
Speaker 38: Hi guys, a huge honor to be here as part of this awards ceremony. My name is Ellen Sheedy of Uncle Frank Productions. I'm a horror artist working on posters, blu rays, storyboards, the whole nine yards. You can see some of my stuff over my shoulder behind me, but a lot of it you can't because YouTube will let you. But you can see that stuff on Instagram by going to Uncle Frank pro and saying hi to me there and going through my artwork. Anyway, the reason we're here today the best artwork of twenty twenty four. Physical media is hugely important to me, both as a collector and as an artist. I think the relationship between physical media and artists are the strongest thing going in this battle.
Speaker 5: Against the streaming services.
Speaker 38: Being able to hold these great innovative pieces of art in your hands that both elevate the films themselves and give a platform for some of the most amazing artists in our industry to kind of find fans of their work.
Speaker 5: It's just there's so much.
Speaker 38: Passion and so much beauty behind these really, really, really interesting projects. A shelf of blu Rays in this day and age is like going around a gallery or a museum, and I honestly think that the future of the industry lies in the hands of a lot of these artists. Without further ado, here are the nominations for Best Artwork, All.
Speaker 3: The Hard to Be Ours and Compendium of four Core Volume two, Luke Insect seven Films, Demon Pond four K, Yuko Shima, Zoo Criterion Collection, Kerro Astra zero Criterion Collection, The Hitcher four K, Adam Strathard, Second Site Films, a Simple Plant four K, Matt Griffin.
Speaker 38: Erro Video, fantastic work all rounds. You're all winners in my eyes, but I'm going to have to announce a winner now, Okay, So according to the Creator Selection Committee, the winner for best Artwork goes to All the hornsby Hours, a Compendium of Folk Horror Volume two released by several films. Yeah, insert sound effects to you, and also the community said the same thing, So that's basically two awards. So congratulations several films. Everyone go out and buy All the Haunts by Hours at Compendium of Folk Horror Volume two.
Speaker 2: Once again, shout out Alon Sheety over in the over in Europe being able to announce these. You know, he has produced some of the best media book art around. You can pick up some of his original prints over at brother Blile dot com right now. Go check it out. Some really great stuff. And for everybody's saying, like Reggie, I do love the original posters, but I have to admit original art for physical releases often more interesting. I was mostly just talking about steel books. I would for the for the most part, I would agree the way that they support these. Uh, it goes a long wait. For for the most part, some great art can make a release elevated compared to what it was without that. So I always loved see that for sure. Let's go to another section of our show, which is very different. If you've been here for the last couple of years, you will remember that we always have a segment dedicated to Sergio Mimes. So let's talk about Sergio Mims. All right, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sergio Mimes was best known as a Chicago based film critic and the co founder of the annual Black Harvest Film Festival, but he also championed classical music, especially the works of black composers. Sergio died in October twenty twenty two at the age of sixty seven and left behind a legacy of encouragement, education and passion.
Speaker 2: The past two recipients of the Sergiomms Memorial Award were Kayla Denise and Sam Degan. Both continue to work tirelessly to deliver high quality analysis on film through various outlets. We will continue to give an award in Sergio's name as long as we can continue these awards. For the twenty twenty four Shelf Shock Rewind Awards, we would like to represent this great film critic and incredible person by presenting the Sergio Mims Memorial Award for Extraordinary contributions to Film critique, context and Commentary to Eugenio Erkolani.
Speaker 3: Augenio Erkulani is a writer, producer, film historian, documentarian, and an incredible creator of countless Blu Ray special features.
Speaker 2: Eugenio has contributed audio commentaries, visual essays, interviews with some of the most unique minds in the history of film, and newly written pieces to releases from eighty eight Films, Aero Video, Cauldron Films, Nola's Entertainment Cult Epics, Terror, Vision, seven Films, Vin Syndrome, and more.
Speaker 3: Augenio has appeared on countless releases alongside his frequent collaborators Troy Harworth and Nathaniel Thompson. His work on the ground from London to Rome is felt on some of our favorite releases each and every year.
Speaker 2: Eugenio has written multiple books on a wide variety of topics, including Friedkin's Cruising and Italian genre directors across a range of decades. He has contributed to many issues in my magazine, The Physical Media Advocate, and is currently finishing up a book with Troy Howarth and much.
Speaker 3: Of Augenio's work a passion for film and archiving the voices of our film history rings throughout the stories that Aeugenio is able to pull out of individuals who have been interviewed time and time again for the last fifty years shows his natural ability to get his interview subjects on his side, but his relationships with lesser known names is what makes his contributions most exciting.
Speaker 2: We would like to say thank you to Eugenie Orclani for his prolific list of accomplishments, his ability to tie his own history to every random individual involved in film and Italy over the last sixty years plus, and his passion for physical media, from a list titles to what many would call Z list trash.
Speaker 3: We also have some words of appreciation from a few with peers and collaborators to share with all of you.
Speaker 8: I value him very much, not only as a colleague. We've worked together on numerous projects, going all the way back to Oh Boy. I can't even remember at this point when we started. It would have been within the last three or four years. I suppose he helped me very much on my book about in Bertellnzi. We have since collaborated on a upcoming book that hopefully will be coming out sometime this year. We have several other projects in the works. But he also brings me in on a lot of extra features, which is either a blessing or a curse depending on your point of view. But speaking of somebody who has a heavy dose of imposter syndrome, I can tell you that that that the fact that he continues to approach me and ask me uh is in itself the best praise I could ever get, because it tells me, well, I guess I must know what I'm doing, because he wouldn't ask me back if if I didn't. He's very serious about what he does. He has a tremendous sense of humor. I mean, as as much as I value him as a colleague and obviously somebody who hooks me up with with jobs, which I greatly appreciate, I very much value him as a friend above and beyond anything else. We we talk on a regular basis. We're like a couple of gossipy old women on the phone. We share jokes, we talk about, you know, all the gossip, all the juicy stuff that doesn't get made public, and we we have a great capacity for making each other laugh. So I very grateful to have him in my life as a friend, above and beyond anything else.
Speaker 6: But also, you know, the uh.
Speaker 8: The the work that we've done in over these last several years, which will hopefully continue for many years to come. I think it's long overdue that he gets some recognition because I don't think there really is anybody in this business who works harder than him. He is insanely prolific. He is somebody who never phones it in. He approaches every single job with the utmost dedication, determination to do the very best job that he can and really give people at home an opportunity to hopefully learn something and hear stories that they haven't heard before. The films that he works on, he really immerses himself, and it's very easy to get the usual kind of big names that we see interviewed all the time. Obviously, we enjoy seeing them being interviewed, we enjoy hearing what they have to say, but you know, when you've heard a few interviews with some of these people, you know what to expect. What he's really extraordinarily good at is finding a lot of the more lesser seeing people behind the scenes, ones who really have some of the best stories. And the interviews that he gets with people like that don't get the attention that they deserve because fans tend to really just gravitate towards the big names. Oh, they've got Dario Argento, they've got Ernesta Costaldi, and it's like, yeah, we've heard these people talk a thousand times and they're not telling us anything they haven't told us before. But this guy who was a script supervisor or a third assistant director or a grip or a focus puller who's never been interviewed before, is like, got all kinds of great stories, and nobody ever talks about that. Unfortunately, because you know again it's name value, I suppose, and I think long overdue that he gets some recognition in this context.
Speaker 6: He's one of the good.
Speaker 8: Ones, so long overdue and very richly deserved.
Speaker 39: Hi there, Nathaniel Thompson, and I'm just wanting to say congratulations, Eugenio.
Speaker 6: It's very well deserved.
Speaker 39: I've been honored to sit with you on several audio commentaries and pitching on quite a few other projects over the years, and especially working with you alone and working with you with Troy on some tracks.
Speaker 2: It has just been a real pleasure.
Speaker 39: And you are passionate knowledge for not just the Italian film industry, but film as a whole is just all inspiring. You truly are inspiration and I can't wait to work on many, many more things with you, And thank you for all you've given all of us, and for setting all these things down for the record that we really need while these talents are still around. It is so important and you are truly doing major, major work. And again, congratulations. I can't think of anybody more deserving.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 14: My name is Marcus Schtigdeka. I am a professor of film studies in Germany and I've been producing a bonus material for film releases on Blu Ray for about twenty years now. About eight years ago I met a young guy from Italy whom I got along very well with, and this guy was Eugenio A.
Speaker 5: Kolani.
Speaker 14: We met at a film festival and talked about our favorite film and things we are interested in, and we even discussed possibilities to do books together because we shared some certain interests. And one of those interests actually resulted in a book some years later, which was our book about the film Cruising by William Friedkin. And this book was released in the Devil's Advocate series and is still available and get some good reviews, and we are really happy with this book. And we worked together on different levels. I invited him to give to contribute to a class I did on film history in a film school in Berlin, for example, where he was talking about the history of Italian genre cinema of Philone. And during this process we decided to produce video features together and only one excp sample of these features is on this great Blu Ray release of Knife of Eyes, where I did a shot video essay on the meaning of this film in the context of the Gillo cycle and we are planning to do a.
Speaker 5: Lot of things in future.
Speaker 14: We've been in contact all over these years and we've been discussing film matters and had a lot of fun meeting in Rome in Berlin, and so I think there is a very vivid working process with Iogenio, which I really appreciate, and I know a lot of his stuff. He keeps sending me his releases, and so I'm well aware of what he did over the years, and it's a plenty of stuff, and he has a lot of contacts in the Italian film industry. So I think, speaking from a film history perspective, his work is very valuable and I work with this stuff a lot, and we are planning to collaborate collaborate on future releases at the moment, and actually next week we'll meet up to do an audio commentary for a classic by Tinto Brass and so on. So there's no end inside, I hope, and this will go on for a long time as long as cinephiles will keep buying those film releases. And let's hope that this will never end.
Speaker 2: Mister believe we got a random film professor from Germany to speak about it. Fantastic in honor of Sergio Mims and Eugenio Erculani. We would like to encourage everyone to dive deep into film film studies and give the contextual supplements features a moment of your time when consuming the physical media that we love. So here's the Sergio Mims, here's the Eugenio air Coolone.
Speaker 3: Thank you to everyone that contributes to these releases. Encourages us all to broaden our understanding of film and film history.
Speaker 2: On that note, let's go into Best Interview, since that is one thing that Eugenio is great at.
Speaker 40: What's up, y'all. It's KB from KB Loves Movies. On my channel, I have an interview series called The Conversation. It's a great way to get to know fellow movie lovers, whether they are cinema goers, love streaming, or physical media collectors. It seems appropriate that I would introduce the nominees for Best New Interview, so the nominees are.
Speaker 11: Doomed to live interview with c. Thomas Howell, The Hitcher four K from Second Sight Films. Conversation between director Gregor Raki and filmmaker Richard Linklater, Gregor Rocky's Team of Trilogy Criterion Collection Interview with Harmony Kareene Gumbo four K from Criterion Collection, A rumination on Salvation, Nicholas Cage on Bringing Out the Dead, Bringing Out the Dead four K Paramount Pictures, a video interview with writer director Paul Schrader Touch Cinematograph.
Speaker 41: And the winner of the best interview, as ordered by the Creative Selection Committee is conversation between director Gregor Rocky and filmmaker Richard Linklater on Gregor Roki's Teen Apocalypse Trilogy Criterion Collection, and the winner is voted by the community is Doomed to Live interview see Thomas Howell The Hitcher four K, Second Side Films. Congratulations to both winners.
Speaker 2: All right, here is that Tina Apocalypse Trilogy from Criterion, another big release that people have been wanting for quite some time. Yeah, so glad we got that, and of course some killer titles coming out from Criterion all year. Glad that they've been able to step up on a bunch of pretty big titles. You know, we just saw Harmony Krinn and a couple others that have been pretty big.
Speaker 3: You're feeling the heat now because they used to be the only game in town and now they're not. And in fact, I think get scooped quite a bit on releases that people would normally say, oh, that's going to be a criterion. So I think they've they and they started going into four K, which is good for them. I know they kind of you know, we're waiting. I felt, I think a little too long to do it. But they've caught up with the times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing pretty great. Got quite a few nominations this year and they did not get any I think the first year, the second year one of the two, so that's a nice change for them. Yeah, all right. As far as supplemental features, what's your favorite supplemental feature, Michelle, are you a visual essay, commentary, written essay interview person?
Speaker 3: I like the written essays, and not just because I do those as well, but I'm just more of like a reading type person. That's the best way I can, like retain information. But I'll never say no to a good visual essay. I always watch all the visual essays on everything.
Speaker 2: But yeah, written for me, yeah, I would agree. For the most part. Commentaries are hard to give that much time to. I do it when I can, But written essays or our next category, which is visual essay, is one of my favorites. So let's go back over to Nathaniel Thompson's incredible movie Room to hear from them.
Speaker 39: Hey, there are shell Shock Rewinders. I'm Nathaniel Thompson from Mondo Digital and you might have heard me on.
Speaker 5: God knowess how many commentaries.
Speaker 39: I can't even count them all, but it is my pleasure to be back here again this year presenting for the shell Shock rewind Awards, and I will be presenting the winners for Best New Visual Essay and the nominees are.
Speaker 11: Coffin Joe's Sedina Underworld by Lindsay Hallam. Inside the Mind of Coffin Joe from Arrow Video, Desperate Times, Call for Desperate Measures by Chris O'Neil, Red Rock West Cinematograph.
Speaker 33: Don't let the.
Speaker 11: Title fool you. Little Darlings Beyond the Teen Sex Comedy by Sam Deagan Little Darling's four K from Cinematograph. The Kids Aren't All Right by Erica Schultz, Run and Kill from Error four four four four, Tom York Spells the Music of Suspiria by Philip Jeffries Suspiria twenty eighteen four K in print Films.
Speaker 39: Okay, well that was some very tough competition. I know we all really want to who the winners are. And first of all, uh huh, there we go. The winner for the Creator Selection Committee, Actually it's a tie. It's Don't Let the Title fool You, Little Darlings Beyond the Teen Sex Comedy by Sam Deagan from A Little Darling's four K by Cinematograph, and the Kids Aren't All Right by Erica Schultz from Run and.
Speaker 2: Kill Era four four four. And the winner for the public vote is.
Speaker 39: Let's see, it's Don't let the title for you, Little Darlings Beyond the Teen Sex Company by Sam Deagan a Little Darling's four K Cinematograph. Congratulations, rounded, applause, and back to the show.
Speaker 2: Congrats, Here's Little Darlings. This is the first title announced by Cinematograph over this last year. An incredible release for a movie that people have wanted for quite some time. And special shout out to Erica, just contributor to many of these releases. I've been honored to work with her a few times and every single time is impressive.
Speaker 3: Look all right, the Sweetest Taboo This book is incredible, Well Erica wrote it just doesn't say that, but uh this book if you like want to like know every kid that ever died in a movie ever, like in graphic detail, and you want a book about it that's hilarious. To get this book. I think it's sold out. I don't know if she's going to reprinted, so you might have to buy it secondhand, because I know she it was really popular. But this book is fucking incredible, Like I read it cover to cover in a day, and you know, And I also wanted to shout out Air for four four because I work with them a lot, and they're super nice and they employ a lot of women and uh like people of color and super great company to do work for. And I have a couple of releases actually coming out with them in a couple of months, I think so. But yeah, I was so happy to see them nominated for something and went something.
Speaker 2: It's a big deal. Air forty four. Forty four does not get enough attention. Glad that Eric and Sam are getting their due there. But when it comes to essays, a lot of people want to know about the written essays, So let's go for best written Essays to the Good Doctor.
Speaker 9: Everyone will Dodson here, and I am thrilled to be here for the third annual Shelf Shock Rewind Awards, presenting Best newly written Essay, not oldly no reprints, all brand new Scholarship and nominees.
Speaker 3: Are Heather Donahue and The Imperfect Woman by Mary Beth McAndrews, The Blair Witch Project, Second Sight Films, A Man of All Genres by Erica Schultz, Corpsmania four K, Vinegar Syndrome, Tall Dark Stranger, Robert Harmon's The Hitcher by Heather Draine, The Hitcher four K, Second Site Films, Shout at the Devil, Trick or Treat and Heavy Metal Horror by Sam Began, Trick or Treat four K, Redshirt Pictures, Synapse Films, We Got to Get Out of This Place by Josh Hurtado Green Room four K Second Site Films, and.
Speaker 9: The CSC winner is Tall Dark Stranger Robert Harmon's The Hitcher by Heather Draine for the Second Site Films four K release of The Hitcher Excellent and the Community winner Shout at the Devil, Trick or Treat and Heavy Metal Horror by Sam Degan for the Synapse film Red Shirt Pictures produced Trick or Treat four K. Congratulations to Heather drain and to Sam Deacan, well done. We all enjoy reading your works, so keep it coming. In twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, Oh my god, that's insane.
Speaker 18: That is insane to be even Brodie Lee, my dog is flub mixed.
Speaker 3: That's incredible.
Speaker 18: I don't I'm especially because that release by Second Sight is just chock full of absolutely brilliant creators and the fact that this category is brimming with people that are so talented, so smart, so established. So I don't know how I got my little gribblin ass in here, but I'm so grateful and I'm grateful to be part of this.
Speaker 3: I think these awards.
Speaker 18: What's cool about what you do with these is this is just something that is celebrating both physical media, which is such a key part of film preservation, but it's also just part of all of us. We're all a tribe, we're all united by our love of these wonderful, weird, sometimes very underloved movies, and we're all just fighting the good fight.
Speaker 3: So I'm so honored.
Speaker 18: Thank you, and thanks to Chris Holden, who is the one that brought me on. He's the one that originally reached out to me back in twenty twenty that wild second second site worked there, BLAT's off to get this out and get it right, So so definitely huge kudos to them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, thank you so much.
Speaker 18: I'm so I'm so honored and absolutely just to be gaggled and be dazzled and all of the bees.
Speaker 42: Yeah, you know, all credit there is really do to Sam. I can you know, speak to her talent endlessly, but she's the one who did it, you know, it's for me with Little Darlings. Little Darlings was the first release for Cinematograph, and it was very important to me to not only bring in people who knew what they were doing and kind of set the bar for what the label would be, but with Little Darlings, I also really wanted to have the contributors be women, just by virtue of what that film is about. You know, it was directed by men, but it's written by women, stars women, it's about women. I really wanted to have women be the focal point of the extras, and Sam just dove right into it, which she does with everything she does. You know, I wouldn't say that this was an anomaly for Sam, like I don't think she worked harder on this than anything else she did in the past year, but I think this offered her something to do that she doesn't usually do, you know, a studio sex comedy for the most part, and especially a movie that's so sweet. I think Little Darlings is very sincere, you know, charming movie. And I think a lot of the work that the people we tend to work with the most, their work tends to usually work within genre film or films that are darker. And I'm really happy that Sam took the assignment and did something really unique with it and very you know, articulate. Yeah, I couldn't be prouder of having that on the release. That's yeah. I wasn't expecting it, Honestly, I was kind of really worried about it.
Speaker 2: All right, congratulations to Heather and Sam. Here is Trigger Treat, which has not gotten enough love. This is a pretty crazy release from Synaps and Red Shirt. It's very fancy, especially for a title that people had wanted for decades literally, especially in HD. It's it's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm so happy to see all the ladies kind of cleaning up you know, the awards there. I'm into it.
Speaker 2: They've been doing very very well on that note. We've got more from the ladies coming up after this, but first our next special video for everybody. Here's somebody that wanted to share some of their favorites releases from last year as well, So check this out.
Speaker 43: Hell everybody, this is Sean Baker, independent filmmaker and lover of physical media. I hope you're all enjoying the Shelf Shock Rewind Awards. Ryan and Jeremy of The Disconnected asked me to come on and tell you guys about some of my favorite releases of the year.
Speaker 6: So here we go.
Speaker 43: I'll make a fast Grindhouse Releasing's Hollywood nine zero zero two eight, a beautiful release and restoration of pretty much a lost movie which is really a time capsule of a seven Los Angeles. You have Severn's trilogy of the russ Meyer films. My god, this is such a long time coming and they did such a wonderful job. Thank god these films are out and available again. You have criterions Happiness, Todd Salance's masterpiece. Hello, this was so this was like one we needed for quite a while. You have Second Sights the Hitcher, Come on, they do it like no other. I mean, look at this incredible. The reason this is sealed is because I bought two Okay, this, this is the restoration on this looks so great and the extras are amazing. And someday I'm gonna pick Robert Harman's brain about how to shoot a chase scene because he's incredible. And film movements poetry of Chang Dong Lee, one of my favorite directors, a director of Oasis, Oasis is on this one. There are four films, one of them is Oasis and then third Window films released as part of the director's series Mermaid Legend, which is like, it's such an incredible discovery. Really splattertastic, splatter tastic. I don't know that, I just create a word anyway, Thanks guys. Enjoy the show, Talk soon, buy Blu rays and four case and also see movies in the theater. All right bye wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Erratick at the end just wanted to get every single thing that he could have.
Speaker 3: Those Director Company releases are fantastic. I've been wanting to see a lot of those movies. I feel like the nineteen eighties era in Japan is very unrepresented in physical media, and I was just over the moon that they started releasing those because there's so many films I've been on my watch list that I finally got to knock off and every release is fantastic, two great, great extras on them, and it's crazy you had time to do that, like in between me and Sean Baker. But he has a letterbox. I don't know if people know that, but he has a letterbox and he does log on there when he's watching stuff. And he's even a lot of a couple of things I worked on, and I'm like, oh, I wonder if he read my.
Speaker 2: He definitely has. He consumed so much of it, and I love I love that he knew collectors. We're going to watch this and he's like, hey, this is sealed because I bought two I promise.
Speaker 3: I was totally thinking that I'm not gonna lie. I was like, where did I seal await poser?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: He he is a voracious consumer of this stuff. And one of the things that I've heard him talk about before is loving commentaries. Let's go over to Senate Journeys to share the best commentary.
Speaker 1: Come and live from my house in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm Chill Blake. This is Aaron West. This is Ruby and we are from senat Journey Cina journeys dot com.
Speaker 3: We are the co founders.
Speaker 1: And owners of Cena Journeys, a community for cinophiles, and we've got a lot of great things coming on immagin. Sarah Smith is going to be leading a class on palin Pressburger. We also have our good friend Millie to Cheriko who is going to be leading a class in the summer.
Speaker 3: A lot of great things happening.
Speaker 44: Yeah, and we had to do this because she was going to bark and.
Speaker 3: I'm out of breath because she's really heavy.
Speaker 44: And so I have a book, the A twenty four New Wave As we have a crowd fun campaign that's about to end, I think this week when this airs. But we are presenting the nominees for the Best New Commentary. Hey, and the nominees are commentarys are amazing. Make more commentaries.
Speaker 6: Go Blu rays that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll take a DVD.
Speaker 44: You could just shout me a commentary and I will take that.
Speaker 1: Ribby will take a commentary at any time.
Speaker 9: The nominees are.
Speaker 11: Mike Flanagan, Kate Siegel, Samantha Sloane, John Gallagher Junior, and Michael Trucco, Hush four K from Scream Factory, Alexandra Heller Nicholas, The Hitcher four K Second Site Films Alexandra Heller Nicholas and Josh Nelson, The Blair Witch Project Second Site Films, Chris O'Neill and Erica Schultz Deep in the Heart from Fun City Editions, Kevin Smith the four thirty movie four K lions Gate.
Speaker 44: And the winners of that new commentary are Alexandra Heller Nicholas for The Hitcher Second Site Films. She's an amazing, huge release. She does great commentaries, so I'm very happy for that. And the community winner is Hush four K from Screen Factory.
Speaker 9: Do you want to read the name?
Speaker 17: Sure?
Speaker 1: Mike Flanagan, Kate Siegel, Samantha Sloane, John Gallagher Junior, and Michael.
Speaker 3: My personal favorite from Battlestar Galactic Truth.
Speaker 45: All right, thanks, so hello, thank you for this award. My name is alex Heller Nicholas, beaming to you now from the bottom of the planet down here in Australia, and what a joy it is to have such a formal celebration of my work on The Hitcher. Like so many fans of this film, I honestly never thought I would see the day that it would get a proper release, let alone something of the standard that Phil Scott, Chris Holden and the team at Second Sight have pulled together with this particular release.
Speaker 3: It's magical.
Speaker 45: It's a magical film, a magical team at Second Sight, and it's such an honor to have played such a small part in this incredible release.
Speaker 6: I'd also like to.
Speaker 45: Dedicate this award if I made, to Lee Gambon, the late Australian film critical Lee Gambon, who of course is not a new name if you're familiar with audio commentaries at all from boutique labels over the past decade or so. We lost Le in twenty twenty four, and he's with me and so many people every day, and especially in the work that I do in this space.
Speaker 46: Thanks thank you to everyone who voted for Hush as Best Commentary. It's one of my all time favorite productions. That was for Shout Factory. Mike Flanagan and his wife Katie, they really rolled out the red carpet for us for several days. They let us really take over their home and it was unforgettable. Mike and I bonded very quickly over our shared love of Stephen King. I walked in his office and immediately noticed a Caine sitting by the door, and I was frozen. Wow, this is Lenoge's Cane from Storm of the Century, which is one of my favorite television Stephen King adaptations. And Mike was like, wow, are you a fan of Storm of the Century? No one ever knows what that is? And I said, oh, am I a fan. I'm a huge fan. So from that point forward we were off to the races and it was just two unforgettable days, most precious probably seeing the cast together again talking about the film on these commentary tracks over the two versions of the movie that Shout Factory included in that set. And I do need to give a special nod to Jeff Roland from Shout who came up with the idea of doing the video recording of that commentary where we just put a camera in the corner of the room and let it roll as everything unfolded. It turned out to be a real treat and a nice surprise, and that was one hundred percent Jeff Roland at Shout Factory. So I tipped my hat to him and again to everyone who voted in this category for Hush, Thank you so much for the support of physical media, and to the awards here for celebrating a segment of entertainment that is all too often forgotten. So thank you so much. It is a sincere honor.
Speaker 2: We've heard the hitcher butt fifteen times tonight wanted to make sure that we've got a shout out to Hush, which, no kidding, maybe the best release from Screen Factory in like years. This is, you know, first time to disc this was on streaming only for quite some time, and it looks incredible. It's got the brand new cut on here. Not to mention, the commentary is not just a regular commentary. They did a video commentary for this, which I wish was used more often. It's such a really fun release for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a video commentary honestly where they just set up a camera and show everybody and the recording it. That sounds really cool. I'll have to check that one out.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's it's a pretty great And we've got one more announcement before or one more category before we go into our next giveaway, So get ready to type if you are one of the giveaway types. Next, we're going to our best single or double feature release. So basically, anything that isn't a buck set was available here. It had to be one or two films, and that is it. Let's jump over the pond to hear.
Speaker 47: From physical media people. I am crit from Cripprit Productions, a channel where this Internet nerd gets to talk about movies. I'm here upon the glamorous request to present the award for best Single or Double Feature Release. Our nominees are.
Speaker 3: The Blair Witch Project Second Site Films, The Conan Chronicles four K Era Video, the Hitcher four K second Site Films, Hollywood nine zero zero two eight, Grindhouse Releasing looking for Mister Goodbar four K Vinegger Syndrome.
Speaker 47: And the winner for best Single or Double Feature Release by way of our creators Selection Committee, is The Conan Chronicles four K released by our ow Video. And our winner, chosen by our wonderful community is looking for Mister Goodbar on four K by Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, that's that's exciting.
Speaker 37: You know again, another title that went overlooked for a number of years. People had requested it, we had been after it for a while. It took a lot to get it going and to get it out, so thank you. A lot of hard work went into that one. I will be one hundred percent honest. We didn't know how that title was going to be received. We knew that there were fans of it and people who wanted to see it. But I'm excited to see it get as much love as it is, So that's that's surprising.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm glad.
Speaker 2: So two titles we haven't heard much about tonight, The Conan Chronicles. This is the double feature from Arrow, which is a pretty astonishing release. If you've not picked up either of these, still get them.
Speaker 3: I don't like this the other movie, so.
Speaker 2: Most people do not. That makes it not to mention your artwork is incredible on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the art works really nice on it too. That was another like winning up. This is like a really great release, like I'd never I feel like I've been watching like a dusty version forever, and I was like, wow, this is actually a very colorful, kind of deep, like huge movie and I've never seen it look like that before. I've always watched the old washed out they left it out in the sun copy or something.
Speaker 2: Uh and then of course uh literally, I would say one of the best movies released last year Looking for Mister Goodbar incredible. Get for Vinegar Syndrome, a title that people have had on their list of like will never be released on physical media ever, And they showed up like crazy in November alone that most of their slate were Grail titles, which how do you top that? Moving forward? That seems dangerous.
Speaker 3: I know they must have some even more cool stuff coming.
Speaker 2: Well. Speaking of cool stuff coming, they always do really great things for their April Fool's Day. This year they gave away this wonderful Side Roads blank slipcover and Michelle's got something to show you.
Speaker 3: I this is. This is the limited edition version. You need to zoom in on like the abs. I spent thirty minutes were on those abs in it. As you can tell, I, guys, I have as taco meat chest hairs on there. You know what, Boobs are hard to draw. I'm never gonna talk shit about dudes dat drawing boobs bad ever again, because hits are hard to draw.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened there, but as you can see, I can't draw with the shit. But this will be on sale on eBay for five hundred dollars. The yeah, that's gonna be. That's gonna start after the award show, so you guys can get your pocket, you know, get your phones ready for that.
Speaker 2: Well, if you want to do your version of your own, we are giving away a copy of Side Roads sealed with the draw your own slipcover markers and everything. Right now, let's hear the question for this giveaway.
Speaker 3: So the question is what year was Vinegar Syndrome founded?
Speaker 2: First one to answer gets it, and I'm expecting this one to get answered much quicker than our first question tonight. Look at that.
Speaker 3: Wow, one second, geez.
Speaker 2: Eric Johnson is correct. Twenty twelve is the first year they were a label. The archive was around for a little bit longer than that, but vin Ger Syndrome itself as a label was twenty twelve. That's a huge deal, Eric, send me an email to remind me already got your address, but I will get this out to you as soon as we're done. This is such a great thing. I'm glad the people have been able to fall in love with this brand new idea of dryer on slipcover. Curious to see what they do this year. They keep one upping themselves as well, so gonna be hard to top this April Fools thing. Let's head back over to Europe to listen to Best Region BE. What are we on? I think we're on Best Region B Release overall? A dear friend of mine, I hope you guys like.
Speaker 28: This, folks, The Vegan Satanist Year from Germany. My second time for the shell Shop rewind Awards.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad to be back.
Speaker 28: OK, but that doesn't matter. Now I should introduce myself here and tell you who I am. For those who don't know who I am, I told you I'm the Vegan Satanist. So if you know who I am, you know that I'm the Vegan Satanist. Anyhow, anyway, what have I done? Well, I've done a documentary about Incentprise, which is coming this year, keep your eyes up.
Speaker 9: And also I was working for some.
Speaker 28: Labors in Germany, so that gave me the reason to represent the award for Best Region BEE Release. Yes, even the Europeans have some releases in Region B which should be awarded, and that is what I do. Solap your hands, everybody. The nominees for Best Region BE Release are ah, guys, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Bellatar occurs on Collection Curson, The Blair Witch Project second site Films, Columbia Noir Number six, The Whistler Indicator, Green Room four K second site Films, The Hitcher four K second site Films.
Speaker 11: Luis Fullad, the Complete crime Serials in nineteen thirteen to nineteen eighteen, Eureka Entertainment.
Speaker 3: Nothing Is Sacred, three Heresies by Lewis Boonwell, Radiance Films, The.
Speaker 11: Third Man four K from Studio Canal.
Speaker 28: We're back, all right, Okay, so the winner for best Region be release. So we have two selections. We have community right and we have CSC, which is create a selection committee.
Speaker 6: It was at this moment that he knew he fucked up.
Speaker 28: This section here is specially because obviously I'm the guy who's hosting it. But we can make it short here because voted by the CSC and voted by the community are the same winner. Yes, like Helenda, there can only be one. And this time it's the movie and you can get it now. It's a room you ready, all right? Which is the movie with Rutka Howard not sitting on the roof and crying. Yeah, that's only yeah.
Speaker 2: You got me.
Speaker 28: It's Sitcher four K from Second Signed Films. Voted by CSC and voted by community. Congrats guys, great job, great release.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 28: Keep on doing that shit because you know we need more physical media anyhow, it was nice to have me on the show, and I wish you a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Keep it physical.
Speaker 28: We see us down there on the road, and yeah, watch out for the Winston Price documentary. Over and art from the Vegan Satanist and I try to riddle this puzzle again. Couldn't be sorry, right, it's easy, It's I don't know, it's French.
Speaker 3: I must say. I'm like super into their entire everything that was happening. They're little. I thought I throw it out there.
Speaker 2: I was just I like their look out Laurent, who's in the chat obviously the hitcher cleaning up tonight. Incredible release. Glad people are into that. I really want to shout out to Laurent's documentary on Vincent Price. I'm about halfway through it right now, doing some QC with him, and it's incredible. Cannot wait for people to see it. It is a remarkable achievement. He's done some great work and I just I don't know. I wish I could share with everybody right now. It is so damn good.
Speaker 3: It's incredible quick of Vincent Price. That b a vice that they put out with his cooking with Vincent Price was a fantastic release too. I mean it's like all the recipes like if you cook them, they would be gross, but it's just like fun to watch him, you know, just like you know, freeballing all the recipes and he obviously didn't study any of them or try them out at any point beforehand. And it's a really great release. Like if anybody wants more Vincent Price, I.
Speaker 2: Agree, Yes, it is one that everybody should have. It is a lot of fun. Shout out to my friend John who did some editing with the interview that's on that disc as well with Victoria Price, Vincent's daughter. We've had Region B. Let's get to Region A and find out what the best Region A releases.
Speaker 46: Hi, I'm justin beam with Reverend Entertainment. I'm a producer of special features for a number of different studios and labels like Paramount, Shout Factory, Umbrella, Arrow Video, and a bunch of others. I'm really honored to be part of these awards this year. I think it's a wonderful thing you guys are doing in terms of celebrating physical media, something that is needed now more than my category to present his best Region A release, And here are the nominees.
Speaker 11: All the Haunts Byres a compendium of Full Core Volume two from several films. Frank Capra at Columbia Collection four K Sony.
Speaker 3: Pictures, Hollywood nine zero zero two eight, Grindhouse Releasing, The Keep four K Vinegar Syndrome, Looking for Mister Goodbar four K Vinegar Syndrome, Opera four K Severn Films, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid four K Criterion Collection, The Tenant four K Vineger Syndrome.
Speaker 46: And the selection committee and community winner is All the Haunts be Ours Volume two from sever in films. I'm a huge fan of both of these releases and cannot recommend them highly enough.
Speaker 5: Cheers to David Gregory.
Speaker 46: And everyone else who is involved in both of these especially that volume two that's won both categories this year for Region A.
Speaker 2: Seven. Cleaning up this year with All the Haunts bi Ores Volume two.
Speaker 3: Man, Wow, it's a great release. I mean, I'm not surprised honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when you are bringing so many, I mean thirteen different discs. There are I don't remember fifteen or sixteen films in this thing. It's a hell of a big package to put out there. And David Gregory killed it with this and Kila Jenny's incredible producer. Probably not much of a surprise after those who hear about best box set, but let's jump right into it.
Speaker 48: Bill media lovers, I'm Jason Kleeberg from the Fource five podcast to show where I forced my guest to come up with a movie themed two five list topic and then we reveal our picks on air. There's nothing quite like a good box set, stuffing all kinds of films and special features into one great looking package that looks amazing on your shelf. And let me tell you, twenty twenty four had a bunch of great ones. So in the Forced five spirit of revealing our picks on air, here are the nominees for the best box Set of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 11: All the Haunts Bars a Compendium of Folk Horror Volume two, severin Films, Frank Kaepra at Columbia Collection, four K Sony Pictures, Dia Gothic Japanese ghost stories from Radiance Films, The Game of Clones, Bruce Playtation Collection Volume one from Severin Films.
Speaker 27: The House Is of Doom Cauldron Films.
Speaker 48: All right, let's open the Toy Story toy chest and see who the winners are. Oh, we got a good one here, all right. The Creator's Selection Committee winner is All the Haunts Be Hours, a compendium a full CORR Volume two from Seven Films. An amazing achievement, to be sure. And the community winner is also All the Haunts Be Hours, a compendium of Full Core Volume two by Severn Films. Make sure to pick that box set up. Make sure to pick up the first one too, because both great sets. Like I always say at the end of Force five, life is short, spend it with the people and the movies.
Speaker 5: That you love.
Speaker 2: Shout out to the Toy Story box sets.
Speaker 3: I've never seen that one before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was pretty rare if I remember right again, Seven just absolutely killing it. Obviously. All the Haunts BRS Volume two is big on everybody's mind as they were voting this last January. Reminder that we are likely going to be doing this again next year. As you are buying stuff throughout the year. If you want to be nerdy about it, take some notes. Hey, I love this one. These are the categories they're probably gonna do. Let's watch out for what we are going to be voting on so that you don't have to think about it too much when next January comes around. One that you can't figure out probably till the end of the year. Our next spot is best small slate label, So that is going to be anything any label that put out less fifteen or less titles in one year. This year there was a lot of these. They put out fifteen or less titles, and I was kind of baffled by the amount of competition here. And I hope people pay attention to things like this moving forward, because small labels need a lot of attention to keep going. Let's go check out our best small slate label.
Speaker 49: Oh hi, it's me Oscar Bescher, archivist and vault manager for Vinegar Syndrome and all around depressing guy to be around. Every act of film preservation starts small and ends big, whether it's the first splice on the soul surviving moldy element or exorbitant fees paid to find and license a forgotten classic. I delivered that line perfectly. Unfortunately, small in film preservation usually means not getting the credit you deserve for your herculean efforts. So today let's give credit and honor the nominees for the best annual slate from a small slate boutique label. The nominees are.
Speaker 11: Crocodile, Fun City Additions, Connie Release, Mondo, Macabre, Second Site Films.
Speaker 49: And the Oscar goes to I mean, the award goes to the wickedly talented nef Crocodile.
Speaker 29: Okay, Mike and camera are off.
Speaker 5: That's pretty good.
Speaker 49: Did I get everything that I was supposed to get?
Speaker 3: You did what you did? Forget the Community Award?
Speaker 6: Okay, let's do really quickly, really quickly.
Speaker 49: Okay, one, two, three, And more importantly than anything else, the Community Award this year was given to the great and powerful Second Site Films. Thank you to the Academy.
Speaker 6: That is awesome.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 24: Okay, I didn't see that coming either.
Speaker 9: That's that's very cool.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 24: I was mentioning though, like this, probably with the with the amount of put stuff we're putting out now, I don't think we'll qualify for that next year.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's that's awesome.
Speaker 24: Thank you to whoever was out there and voted force. That's again. I honestly I saw the denominees this year and I was like, well, we ain't getting anything this year.
Speaker 25: Twenty twenty four was really a watershed year for US as a as a small boutique label because we made the big transitions, as you know, from working with OC and Vinegar Syndrome to our new partner, Diabolic DVD. So I'd like to first extend any normal US thank you to Jesse Nelson and everyone at Diabolic dvd dot Com for helping us UH. You know, there were a couple of months there we were like are people going to follow us UH? And then it turned out that, you know, the the fans and film lovers have really supported the releases we've been doing, which is great both at Diabolic dvd dot Com as well as buying UH directly from US. UH. And we've had amazing collaborators like yourself, like UH doctor Will, like Beth Morris, who's our graphic designer in the UK, who does all of the standard edition UH graphic design for US, as well as a number of the UH Deluxe limited editions uh, Walter Shaw, Jenny Barker who writes essays, Stephen Bissett, Sam Deagan, who've done a lot of commentaries for us. Who am I Dave Dave McKenzie at Fidelity in Motion, the authoring for our Blu rays. I mean, we have an amazing team of collaborators that are literally all over the world.
Speaker 24: Is very very very very unexpected.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Shout out to Deff Crocodile. They want to see sc vote by one vote. Second Site almost swept this one. They barely barely eked out a win over Second Site, which is huge, one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: I love them, and I wanted to shout this release out a little bit more. It got nominated. It's hardl like because I'm like reversed. Okay, it got nominated, but I didn't win. But I wanted to see a good copy of this forever forever. I had like this terrible bootleg and it was like you could hardly see anything and had terrible subtitles. And this is so great, and Walter chaw is on it, and I'm a chaw head. I just made that up. But we can all sit, we can all cause off chawhands. But This is just such a great release. So if you haven't picked this up, please do. It's really really good. And also I want them to release more anime, so I want them to make money from it and then be able to license more. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, it's a great release. That movie blew my mind the first time I watched it. Really really well done. All right, Well, we've heard about the small slate, so let's look at large slate, which is anything over fifteen releases in one year. And uh, I still can't believe that one of my favorite critics, Jim Tutor, made this incredible video for us. Check it out.
Speaker 19: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Jim Tutor.
Speaker 50: I'm a film critic prozikfilm dot org and screen anarchy dot com. And it's my great honor to be here tonight to present you award for best single Slate from a Large Slate boutique label. You know, these boutique labels have been knocking it out of the park in the year twenty twenty four, and I'm sure we can look forward to such great work in twenty twenty five. And that, to me above all proves that physical media is not dead.
Speaker 2: I mean, good grief.
Speaker 5: If physical media were dead you, show me the grave.
Speaker 38: Show me the.
Speaker 2: Well, dear.
Speaker 19: Well.
Speaker 2: The nominees are.
Speaker 11: Ero Video, Criterion Collection, Keino, Lorbers, Severin Films. Vinegar said, drawl, no, no.
Speaker 3: This can't be.
Speaker 23: This can't be.
Speaker 42: Ray Hey, I.
Speaker 3: Bet the winner's right here.
Speaker 2: Physical media fairs as hell.
Speaker 6: Let me is this a cherry parody?
Speaker 50: The winner of the Creator Selection Committee is.
Speaker 5: Seven.
Speaker 2: The winner of the Faith Community is Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 13: La.
Speaker 5: Hello, hey, come on, I'm shock and get out of the ward.
Speaker 37: Uh thank you. I mean that's that's great to hear. We try really.
Speaker 6: Hard to make that we have a little bit something for everyone. You know.
Speaker 37: We know we have fans here at VS who've been with us since the very beginning, and we'd never want to forget about our roots. We are doing more studio titles these days, which is great, but we still try to pick titles and curate like an overall selection that appeals to a wide audience, but essentially our core fans and you know, we have we're all about film preservation restoration here, but we recognize that, you know, the fans want to see the movies.
Speaker 6: We want to see the sleazy movies.
Speaker 37: The Grindhouse movies, the slasher movies, all that kind of stuff. So even our studio titles we try to cultivate to fit our brand and but also give a little something for all the different genre fans out there.
Speaker 6: So thank you.
Speaker 37: That's really great. We try hard to make sure we have a good catalog for all the fans out there.
Speaker 6: So thank you.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 31: Thank you to the CSC for voting ass slate as impressive for last year.
Speaker 3: It was, and we were very very.
Speaker 31: Very proud to have worked so hard on it and to bring all the releases out. And I would venture to say we have an even more ambitious slate this year, as you can see from the whiteboard over there, So I won't be relaxing anytime soon, but I thank you anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how to follow that up. That was a lot.
Speaker 3: Is that arcade machine and Severn? What game is that? Is it just the machine with another game?
Speaker 21: And it?
Speaker 3: Does anybody know? That's not trivia question? By the way, I'm just curious. You win nothing if you answer this, but.
Speaker 2: My respect, I'm laugh. If somebody has that answer, queue up and that would be great. I'll have to look because I actually was able to go to seven HQ this year, so I'll see if I took a picture of it. Yeah, that was incredible. Glad to see vs and Severn getting their due there. Big shout out to Jim Tutor for that incredible carry parody.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. I'm logging that on my letterbox. When we're done.
Speaker 2: The Tutor carry parody, We've got one more category before our last giveaway of the night, So let's go take a look at best new label. Hi.
Speaker 51: I'm Adam and I'm Charlotte, and together we're per Damage. We're a husband and wife team that work in the film industry.
Speaker 22: That's right, and this is a show where we talk about the hidden histories of Hollywood and about film restoration.
Speaker 51: I work in production and I work.
Speaker 22: In film restoration at the oldest studio still in Hollywood. And speaking of film restoration, film restoration is a collaboration. And you know what else is a collaboration. PERF Damage is and you know what else is a collaboration physical media production. And without the right labels doing the work, we wouldn't get the best versions of our favorite films.
Speaker 51: And as people who spend way too much time talking about film formats, way too much green structure and new transfers. We're honored to introduce this year's best New Label.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 22: They've done the work, they've preserved the art, and they've given us one more reason to rearrange our media shelves.
Speaker 51: And let's be real, we're all out of space, but we keep buying the releases anyway.
Speaker 22: Yes he does, Yes I do. But this is truly a vintage worth celebrating.
Speaker 5: Well, cheers to that.
Speaker 51: And the nominees for Best New Label are.
Speaker 11: Bleeding Skull, Cartoon Now, Celluloid Dreams, Cinematograph, Grave Faced Films.
Speaker 22: You know it opens with a bouquet of freshly struck nitrate of finely aged acid tate in a bit of archital dust.
Speaker 51: Oh yeah, and you know what I'm getting pints of masterly crafted hard boxes blended with a piquance of media book splinter.
Speaker 22: I don't really get that, but you know it does finish with this crisp, clean finish of free of digital noise and unnecessary dn R.
Speaker 51: And the winner for Best New Label, as voted by the Creators Selection Committee is.
Speaker 2: Matagraph.
Speaker 22: You know it lingers like a long lost director's cut meticulously restored to its former glory.
Speaker 5: I can see that for sure.
Speaker 51: And the winner for best New Label, as voted by the community is Cinematograph.
Speaker 42: That's yeah.
Speaker 2: I I.
Speaker 42: Wasn't expecting it, Honestly.
Speaker 3: I was kind of really worried about it.
Speaker 42: I didn't think it was something that was a given, just in terms of the other you know folks who are nominated, who I think I'll bring something really exciting to the table for what we're doing, you know, just boutique home video. So I never for once took this for granted. I actually honestly thought it was not gonna happen, which maybe was the best way for me to go into it. But yeah, I'm extremely grateful that, you know, the community decided that as well as you all. It's very humbling to be able to do something that you know, we care about and have people react strongly to it. And with Cinematograph. You know, obviously I'm very tied into OCN and to vinegar Syndrome just in general, but Cinematograph is a real labor of love for me. It's like the first and only, you know, thing in my professional career that I think I've really like owned to a degree like that. I've really poured over everything from the name of it, to the packaging, to all of the creative elements and curatorial elements that go into every release. So it's extremely validating. So yeah, thank you and everybody else who voted for this.
Speaker 2: Justin a shout out for Cinematograph also, so it just brought up the name and how much he had to do with it. So on your keyboards, giveaway number four, Where did Cinematograph get their name? Where did Cinematograph get their name? Whoever gets this one right is going to win three brand new limited edition Cinematograph titles that are in stock of your choice. Three cinematograph titles of your choice.
Speaker 3: Let's got it, Oha me.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna go with the best one. Here is Celeste actually that names everything, Lumier Brothers and inventing the camera. We got French Cinema, French theater, Lumier Camera close there, but I'm gonna go Celeste was the most right. Celeste. I will message you and we will get get it figured out which three Cinematograph title you would like to send to you. Incredible, incredible releases from Cinematograph this year. I know a lot of people are happy about what they've been putting out. Their packaging obviously is incredible. I'm a big fan of media books from overseas. Even better now that we're getting media books in the US that you can read that are not German.
Speaker 3: They're not in German. Nice a lot with German, I just don't speak it correct.
Speaker 2: Correct, So that's huge. It is nice to see that we're continuing to get really underseen releases from them. They've done a lot of great work. Touch coming out from them was a big deal for a lot of people. Obviously, Little Darling's Red Rock West was a huge win early in the year from them. They've got some big titles coming up that I can't wait to get and exciting to see what they've been able to do so far. So congrats Leste, and send me a message. We'll get that figured out. But now that we talked about best new label, we have to figure out what are the best labels overall. So let's first jump over to agen Be.
Speaker 52: To everyone watching at home, I'm Rich Johnson, writer an educator on film. You can check out my work at rich pieces dot com. But today I'm here to announce the nominees for the category Best Regent be Label.
Speaker 13: The nominees are.
Speaker 11: Ero Video, Imprint Films, Indicators, Radiance Films, Second Sight Films, and.
Speaker 13: The winner is.
Speaker 52: It's Radiance Films Bravo. No surprise there, knocking out of the park as usual. I can't even keep up with these releases, but huge congratulations.
Speaker 9: Yeah amazing.
Speaker 12: I mean, you know, I can't kind of get over all the the accolades that we've received as as a label. You know, I kind of think like Hacks and Planet of the Vampires Masaravivil. You've got these titles where people going to be like, yeah, this is great. But to have the recognition for the label as a whole is amazing, And you know, it's it's why we do this, you know. It's it's the fan recognition, It's the integration with the fans. It's it's knowing that all the releases are appreciated as well, because we do have a diverse like you know, you mentioned, you know, with some other labels out there like Second Sight or.
Speaker 13: You know, people who've got sort of more of a.
Speaker 12: Direct focus, and that's great, and sometimes I think are we doing too much. But then it all is just kind of like, this is cool, let's do that so that people agree is amazing.
Speaker 2: Radiance takes it for Region B again, it's it's their second year.
Speaker 3: I love them. They're one of the few I get every single release they put out because just every single one is like a good movie, even if I've never heard of it before. And their releases are just outstanding in every single way.
Speaker 2: Not only are they like you know, well packaged with a great transfer and great extras, they're titles that people have either never heard of or we find out are incredible films that have just gone long forgotten, and now here we are delivered in a beautiful package. Radiance absolutely killing it. Fran doing great work over there, and can't wait to see what they got next. That was Region B. Now the question is who wins for Region A. Let's head up to Seattle, Washington to find out.
Speaker 53: Everybody.
Speaker 29: I'm Matt Lynch, I'm Emily Soaderback.
Speaker 53: We are from Scarecrow Video. We are the hosts of Scarecrow's YouTube show Viva Physical Media, and we are here to introduce the winners for the category of best Region A Label. But before we get to that I'll tell you about Scarecrow. Scarecrow is the biggest nonprofit video archive on the planet, basically the biggest video store on Earth. We have over one hundred and fifty thousand individual titles, more than any other streaming services combined. You can rent all over the continental US. You don't need to be here in Seattle. You can rent by mail, You can get a membership, you can donate to our nonprofit. If you want to support Scarecrow but you don't live in Seattle, you have plenty of options to access our amazing catalog. Visit our website scarecrow video dot org to check out all of those options. But without further ado, let's go.
Speaker 33: And the nominees for Best Region A Label.
Speaker 11: Are Aero Video, Criterion Collection, Keno Larber, Severin Films, Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 53: And the winner for Best Region A Label as voted on by the Creator Selection Committee is Vinegar Syndrome. Got some good Vinegar Syndrome discs here Congo underappreciated. I wrote the book let essay for Virtuosity, so make sure you pick.
Speaker 41: That one up.
Speaker 29: And the winner for Best Region A Label as voted by you the community is once again Vinegar Syndrome.
Speaker 6: Amazing job.
Speaker 53: We love Vinegar Syndrome here, congratulations, check.
Speaker 18: Out some of their releases and thanks bye.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, well listen.
Speaker 37: You know, first and foremost, we're company, which means that you know, we we specialize in releasing films here to the you know, the US, the region A you know, I don't know to say the region a district if you will. You know, there's a lot of companies out there throughout the world doing good stuff, and you know, we try to make sure that we represent our area and do the best that we can.
Speaker 5: And thank you.
Speaker 6: That's great. That was a surprise.
Speaker 2: Congrats Vinegar Syndrome. That's a big, big deal. They have put out a lot of legendary titles and again they had an incredible November slate last year that alone was just magnificent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, absolutely fantastic entire year. Really, I've picked up a lot of their stuff. Also, like there are a lot of their partner labels. They have like a really good selection array of different types of like people that put stuff out so of like whatever your taste in film is, you can find a label that kind of case, which is I think is cool too.
Speaker 2: Speaking of finding films that match your taste. You'll notice that somebody's in the chat sharing some comments. Tonight, we got one last special video and just a warning, he's gonna laugh at this buckle in. It's a ten minute video, but this is absolutely worth it. Here is our last surprise of the night and thank you ahead of time. Joe.
Speaker 5: Hello all you physical media lovers. Hi, I'm Joe Lynch. The lovely folks at Disconnected, Ryan and Jeremy Yea. Ryan and Jeremy over at Disconnected asked me to reach out and give a little video testimonial of some of my favorite physical media releases from last year. Now truth be told. Two disclaimers here one. Not all of these came out last year. A bunch of them did, but some of them were blind spots that I had either discovered in the last couple of years and needed to get or they are some of my favorite films that either came out in the last one or two years that I went, oh my god, why don't I have X or Y or Z and needed to make sure they were on my shelf. Physical media is the true bastion of film, collecting of film, preservation of film restoration, and thank God for so many wonderful companies, both big, mostly boutique. Most of the picks that I have are from two companies in particular, one tried and True in one discovery for myself and other. Disclaimer is man, it was a freaking tough year last year. So normally I am the first person to start buying on all the different you know, directly from the company or from some of the boutique outlets that sell them. Last year was a little tough for me, so I didn't get the normal amount that I'm usually you know, purchasing and consuming. But I feel like I have a good selection of films that you should have on your shelf too. Maybe you already do. Who knows. Let's find out. Let me just we go. This is here. I'm gonna just do this. Ready, you can probably tell some of them already. This is my stack of my favorite films that I purchased last year. Don't worry, I have the receipts. So let's start out with the Wachowski's Bound from the Criterion collection. There was an arrow release a couple of years back, but this is the Criterion version with a I believe this is the New four K. This is one of those films kind of like the Coen Brothers Blood Simple, that you see the potential with the limited amount of money that the Wachowski's had at the time when this was their first feature, and you can see the potential that went into the Matrix and speed Racer and Cloud Atlas. This neo noir lesbian love story is one easily one of my favorites of theirs and the special features, which I'm a big special features fan, both as a viewer and a consumer, but also as a filmmaker. I still love the art form of making special features, and while some of these are mostly old, this one has great shit. Love Bound This was a discovery of mine that my wife Becca kind of said, you've never seen this movie before, and I was a little shocked that I hadn't before either, And thank god the lovely folks at Criterion also love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. It's not one of those movies where you go, like, if you love Valley of the Dolls, you'll love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, because Beyond the Value of the Dolls is fucking psychotic. Can I curse here? Well? You're gonna have to be a bit out.
Speaker 2: Sorry.
Speaker 5: The transfer is amazing if you haven't seen what I consider maybe one of russ Meyer's finest work. I know that they had the wonderful Severn collection that they reproduced this past year, but I needed to get beyond the value of the dolls, and god damn it, I did. I've always been a Sam Fuller fan, but I never really got the enjoyment of seeing one of his I guess you could say like one of his non noir film because I was always knowing him for his noir. But man, do I love Forty Guns. I had seen it on streaming, but this was again one of those things where you see it on streaming ego, I need to have this and I need to look at the case every chance I get. And Barbara Stanwick is absolutely stunning in this movie in the black suit and the hat, riding around with all of her dudes, so fucking good, and the transfer is spectacular. So I would definitely recommend that one of the films that I truly loved from the early two thousands that never quite got the release it deserved. In terms of physical media. There was a decent blu ray or DVD that came out, and then a Blu ray and that's Andrew Dominic's Shopper from Second Sight, which I'm going to get to a lot is a company that I only recently discovered in the last year, and I was blown away with their presentation. Their box sets are obviously just like so stunning, with the the disc itself and the inserts, all the cards and everything that they gave, like, oh my god, look like they're so cool. But what makes this really really special is the transfer is spectacular. There's a commentary by Mark Chopper Reid himself the subject of the movie, and the film itself is just the shit. How this steel Box of Mayhem that released this past year getting here? Who knows another film that is childhood favorite of mine that Second Site had on their library list that I go, how do I not have a copy of Martin Brest's Midnight Run? Now? I'm pretty sure that most of the special features that are on this film on this disc are old. Doesn't matter. The transfer is gorgeous. This movie is maybe one of my favorite buddy movies of the eighties. You have Charles Groden, you have Robert de Niro, you got Joey Pants. Another joey Pants movie on my list, just like in Bound. It may be my favorite Martin Breast film, with an amazing score by Danny Elfman and Yafat Koto is so good in this movie. Just across the board. This is the movie that made me go holy shit. Roberts Niro can be funny. Another movie that from Criterion kind of teeters the line and genre between comedy and drama, a little bit of action, and also another Joey Pants movie. And that's the Criterion disc for Risky Business a Marshall Brickman who was a screenwriter. This was his, I believe, his first feature film. There's never been a better transfer of this film. There's a lot of really great stuff on it. The screen tests for Tom Cruise and Rebecca de Mornay. You'll know why they got cast, but it's still really funny to see those, especially when you look at them back in the day. Criterion did a great job with this disc. My last three films here are all Second Sight. This is where I fell in love with this company. The first one is the box set for Nick refin Drive Look at This Beast. These are the types of titles with these kind of presentations that people walk into your house and go, this guy knows what's up. The transfer for this movie is amazing on disc. And look at all of this extra stuff. This is like one of those like food videos that people see where they open up the burrito or the burger and they go, look at this thing, Oh my god, huge. This is a not to miss title. Next up is a slightly newer film, Jeremy Sonier's Green Room Again Second Sight the book, the presentation, the transfer is great again. This is another title that I don't think got the proper due with the color palette. This transfer got it right. All the special features are great. There's a lot of new stuff, a lot of old stuff. Green Room is the shit. Finally, and I know that I was watching the show too, and I know that Sean Baker pulled this one out considering that he stole my number one pick. It's a movie that I've been waiting for decades to come on to four K blu ray. Yes, back in nineteen eighty seven, it was like, someday, maybe they will be a four K blu ray transfer of one of my favorite movies of the eighties, and Sean Baker stole my pick. We had a mutual agreement. We were not supposed to have cross pollination of titles, So fuck him. Good luck Sean. But that is Robert Harmon's The Hitcher. Two movies I've been waiting for for decades, one of which I personally was involved in getting made into Blu Ray, and that is Chuck Russell's The Blob. That's why I'm on the commentary because I just kept calling shot Factory and saying, will you please put the Blob on? And they finally did. Well, I didn't have to do it for this one. This is a film that I've loved since I was a kid. It is mean, it is nasty, has some of the best cinematography for a genre film. John Seal did a spectacular job in the action in This film has one of the most bleak third acts ever. This movie is special, and the transfer itself is reason alone. You You might not even want to get this Monster box set right, but if you get the bare bones edition of it, get it just for the transfer. This is the best disc of the year. This may be the best disc for me of the decade. And yeah, if this is worth every single penny, put it on your shelf and watch people go, huh, I've never seen the Hitcher, And then you sit them down and you show them the fucking Hitcher and watch their minds explode. And finally, of course, with all these amazing titles that we have here, it would be behoove me to not name my personal favorite title of twenty twenty four, and that's Suitable Flesh. There you go, Sorry, shameless plug here. I'm very proud of this movie, and I'm very proud of the presentation that we put together. There's a commentary, there's behind the scenes, YadA, YadA, YadA. Check out Suitable Flesh. If you didn't see it or if you saw it on shutter only, the blu ray is definitely worth it. So there you go. There are my picks, mostly movies that I absolutely love that I needed to get on physical media and a couple of shameless self promotions as well. What are you Gonna do? Thank you to everybody at the shelf Shock Rewind Awards. I hope you guys are having fun. To everybody disconnected Brian and Humphrey, great job out there and keep physical media alive. Guys. Bye, What the.
Speaker 2: Fuck is going on there? Amazing. Thank you Joe.
Speaker 3: I can listen to him talk like he needs to make like a three hour video and it's just him going through every single movie is cutching and telling me about it. I would watch that definitely.
Speaker 2: Three hours is really underselling it.
Speaker 17: I think.
Speaker 2: If you guys are into Joe Lynch want to hear more. There's actually an interview with him on my channel. You can check that out. We talked about suitable Flesh quite a bit and depression. If you're into both of those, Thanks Joe for doing that. We only have one more award to give out tonight, and this is this is like our Oscar for Best Picture. This is best overall release. This is a huge deal. Twenty twenty four was a massive deal for physical media, and I am just baffled at the titles that we're continuing to see. All these companies that are putting all this hard work into these are incredible, very very happy with what we're continuing to get. If you are interested in trying out more from any of these companies, or I have questions about the releases, I'm sure Michelle and I would both be willing to assist you if you find us anywhere in social media or email or anything like that. We're here for it. And on that note, let's check out the nominees for Best Overall Release.
Speaker 11: All the Haunts be Ours a compendium of Full Core Volume two, Severin Films, The Blair Witch Project, Second Site Films, Frank Capra at Columbia Collection, four K Sony Pictures, The Game of Clones, Grouse Politation Collection Volume one, sever In.
Speaker 3: Films, Hollywood nine zero zero two eight, Grindhouse Releasing, Shasco Volume three, Aero Video, The Hitcher four K Second Site Films, The Keep, four K Vinegar Syndrome, The Never Ending Story, four K Imprint Films, Trick or Treat four K red Shirt Pictures, Synaps Films.
Speaker 2: Will Uh. Lots of great titles up for Best Release, Michelle, you want to share who our winner is? Here?
Speaker 3: Oh well, let me look. I don't want to, like, you know, like that one Oscars where they were like, oh it's Lola and whoops, you know, like I don't want you that one. So the best overall release h for the Critics Choice is All the hauntspi hours, and the winner for the People's Choice is also All Hantspiars. It won both awards everybody that release. It's the best.
Speaker 2: It is incredible. I hope people check it out. It is a remarkable one. And finally, since we have not heard anything about all the hauntspiars all night, let's get a word from the master producer herself, Cala Jannie.
Speaker 22: Hi.
Speaker 54: Everyone, I just want to give huge thanks to the Shelf Shock rewind Awards for the incredible honor of God, all these awards for all the HAUNTSPI Hours Volume two, which I have here.
Speaker 3: Next to me, God to win.
Speaker 54: I think we got best Horror Release, Best region a Release, Best overall release, many different awards that that I mean like are incredible because I know the amazing competition that's out there. I buy a lot of discs from other companies, and I get inspired every day by all my colleagues working in this field. So so not only is it a great honor to receive all these awards for a project that I spent three years working on with various people at Severn, but also the best the awards for best packaging and Art direction or art designed, because those awards really are due to Luke Insect, which was a designer who designed.
Speaker 3: The bulk of the box set.
Speaker 54: The outer box, the inner sleeves, the booklet that came with it, and Luke Insect designed the first box set. He's also designed many other projects for me. He's a UK based artist I work with a lot because he's really versatile and really interesting. He has a really psychedelic vision, you know for his art that I try to tap into with a lot of my projects. And Drayson Cosjen, who's a Canadian illustrator who designed all of the artwork for the book of fiction that came with the box sets. So all the original short stories that we commissioned came with they all featured a an original drawing by Drayson Cosjen and titles and things, and so this being a part of the box set was was a huge honor also to be able to have all these different authors, twelve different authors contribute original stories to this book that came in the box set, and so it was a massive undertaking, uh, you know, from on the technical side, our our our post production team Andrew Furtado and Todd Winnic, the all the different scans and the negatives and everything they dealt with to do the restorations for the box set, but also Amy Voorhei's Searles at Severn, who is our creative director and she deals with all of our packaging companies and manufacturers and everything, and there's so many things that she has to keep on top of. And then with licensing, there was me and David Gregory and Carl Daft and a handful of people around the globe go chip in as sort of local liaisons in their own countries. There's just like a massive amount of people who participated in this box set, as as commentators, as video sayists, as people making original short films for the box set. It was a massive undertaking. And so I'm so I'm really pleased that that both the jury and the community, the voting community at the Shelf Shock rewind Awards is acknowledging our work in this way. And and also it's it's a it's a photo confidence by extension to the kind of work that we're doing at Severn going forward too.
Speaker 3: So thanks everybody, So.
Speaker 2: Once again, congrats to Severn and Kayla Denice and David Gregory, Andrew Furtado and everybody at Severn, Carl Daft. It's a huge accomplishment. All the hotsprs won a shit ton of awards. It's an incredible box set. I hope people check it out. That being said, it's the end of the show. Hopefully you enjoyed. I'm gonna be updating the descriptions for all the videos with links to everybody that presented tonight, with links for everything that you might need to find resources on. If there's any questions, you can reach out to me on any social media. Michelle and my information will both be there. We are always here to help and to talk about films and physical media. The biggest thing is I hope to was able to inspire you to pick up something that's still sealed, take it off your shelf, put it in the player tonight, and enjoy a movie.
Speaker 3: Definitely. I'm so glad you invited me on. I hope that I lived up to everybody's expectations because I have really bad anxiety, so I was worried. I was, but Godzilla gave me powers, he kept me company. This is my comfort, Godzilla. So that's actually why I brought it out here. But I hope you guys had fun, and I hope I wasn't too weird or anything.
Speaker 2: Not at all. Everybody seemed to love your nails. That's that was a big thing.
Speaker 3: O my purple nails.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, make sure you subscribe to see more videos coming out here and in the future. Thanks to all the special guest Sean Baker, Joe Lynch, fran Galoopi, the entire cast from Dinner in America incredible, had a blast tonight, guys, thank you all so much for watching, and most likely we'll see you next year.
Speaker 40: S