Speaker 1: Oh, hello, Freddie. Just listening to the latest episode of Dumb and Jerry Show while the boys talk about the oil crisis going on at moment. I had a solution to that.
Speaker 2: One time.
Speaker 1: A friend of mine used to run his truck on Timber. Would you believe he'd run it out the back with a little steam puff driving away? Mind you, he never got over a four mile an hour. A great lad, Timmy Timber. We used to call him, always bloody late but un bloody gray lad. Enjoyed the show.
Speaker 2: I'll see they they've.
Speaker 1: All fallen out with me, all of them. All of them rised on Christ above. I didn't think I'd be the bad guy, but if all fallen out with me, this.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't want to be the listeners of the Tom and Jerry Show, Tom, because otherwise I'm fucked.
Speaker 1: No, No, they're fine. They're absolutely fine because I didn't call around to their house and have to dose them in any way as a result of nature.
Speaker 3: Oh, be back to the lads.
Speaker 1: We're back to the lads I ought to be in a day. I've been an evening of it. We are in the countryside. I've talked to you about the deer situation. Here, the deer infestation that we have here. Will deer bring one thing and with them other than actually looking lovely for city folk when they see them every song, it's so magical, dear. They're eating apples from Yeah, you have them, and you know what else? They have fucking ticks And I don't I don't mean question, Yeah not question is somebody's intelligence. I'm saying, those little focus that lock on suck you with blood, walk around the blaze with lyme disease. Do you know they can go two years with their arms out waiting for a hug on the end of a blade of grass, without a bite teat or a bite to drink? That's how have you ever? You? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Have you ever had takes? You have had text time?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I've had takes, to be honest with you, the life I have been through a million a million fields, and I could count on one handy amount of times I've had tasts. They just whatever, like they just they're not to get. There's a sourness to me, there always has been, but with bugs. I don't get riddled by midgie's and stuff like that. I never did. There's a kind of a country thickness to my skin where they just kind of go, they'd be rotten. Now.
Speaker 3: I think with me, they just wouldn't come near my skin because they could taste wap of bars coming through. Before we launch into a Tom, we may as well say hello to everybody to the Tom and Jerry show. As we mentioned, I'm Jerry McBride. That's Tom. O'manny. I believe what Tom is talking about is he's about to get into a story about the gouts.
Speaker 1: The goots on August and Madra I went to a local vet who is fantastic. They are the kind of vets that are aren't trying to It's not you know the vets now in every town, on every corner, and they look like a Beverly Hills place where you think your dog's gonna get a new set of fucking denters. This isn't it's a it's a an old school shop where the primary focus is actually coming out to see your giant fucking agricultural animals or you know that's what they're dealing in. And yet you can still bring your dog and cat and budgy in there all right, and they will treat them like But know that the vet you're dealing with won't have a Hollywood smile or a white jacket on or you know, scrubs. They will have a check shirt, weally boots and have just been shouldered deep in a cow or something, do you know what I mean? So that it's that sort of an operation. So I had to go in to get a tablet for the dog for the ticks, and with that brings side effects up because you can this spot on stuff for the back of their neck and it might kill a flee. It ain't gonna it ain't gonna start out to take situation. You gotta get an expensive tablet that brings about a bit about a weirdness out of the dog and the squids. It would seem, yes, the dog's been outside pretty pissed off of me. And then the only situation for the goats is d ain't gonna eat no tablets. And he was like, I don't know. The only thing you're gonna have to do is inject him.
Speaker 3: Like fuck, you know, yeah, her man gets kicking the balls.
Speaker 1: That's oh my god, how I can't even go through the intensity. What It's one thing to have to inject one goat, but when the other one has just seen what happened, because the first one was like to fuck yeah, you know. They were in a calm, cool clark then actually got back into their little sheds that I built them in out of the sunshine chill, and they're like, hey, it's done. He's all right. He brings hay and stuff. What's hey, fuck it?
Speaker 3: What do you bring us today?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What's the fucking weird guy? Because they don't love me at all, like they hate me in fact, and now they double hate me because I think And it was this look on the goat's face like what the fuck? She barrels out of the shed and then he knocks me upside down. The other one's gone, no, I'm like, I'm afraid because not me. Yeah, this kid no problem, not me looking fraid. So you Yeah, there was this shriek from the goat jar that will be hurt. I will hear it in my soul. It well into my nineties. And the thing is, I've seen them hurt themselves way worse, way worse. But it was it was this moment of disbelief where they're like what and now they've been walking around up in the garden just the younger one when in five minutes didn't give a fuck the older one. Oh Jesus that oh she is just like if she can get her hands on a weapon between now and tomorrow. We won't have another podcast next week.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you that we we better get this one done at least. Folks, how are you keeping? And you're welcome to the Tom and Jerry Show. You know how we do it here. We break it up in the three segments and an unofficial like fourth segment at the start of the show, which is a little bit bonus. You know, here's what happened to us this weekend. It's terrible, earlfe some of some of this week. Some of these weeks, Tom, you'll find you and me to start chatting about that, dumping our into it and fuck the rest of the show. But yeah, this week, this week, it ain't this week. Yeah, we got we've got some ship to talk about. In particular, we've got the big news to talk about of the week time. We've got what we call on the Tom and Jerry Show, the weekly what have you. This is a very complicated case mod you know, a lot of a lot of outs, a lot of what have you and uh a lot of scrans to keep in my head.
Speaker 1: Man, it's getting serious, Tom, it is getting serious.
Speaker 3: Chair.
Speaker 1: I mean, we we've dand it around it and it isn't our place to talk politics because we ain't that fucking smart and we're not heavily opinionated. We're quite insular blokes where we just talk about what's affecting us three feet in front of our eyes. But it's come to a point now where it's it's it's this oil crisis carry on. There are starting to affect everybody, it really.
Speaker 3: Is, and we sincerely hope this oil crisis hasn't escalated into full blown nuclear war.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we can do that.
Speaker 3: Listen to this show we record on Mondays and drop on towards does anything could drop between them? And then But for the purposes of this bit, the straight Hermons is still in still.
Speaker 1: Let's just yeah, let's let's let's assume we all still have our teeth, you know what I mean, and we haven't turned into Lasagne like that fella from the Chernobyl TV show.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you here's one thing we might not have for much longer time, Connies. Yes, indeed, it.
Speaker 1: Would seem the biggest the biggest productive producer of condoms worldwide, is now in their serious pressure.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed to who thought about this when they started?
Speaker 1: This is the problem. This is the problem because it was I mean, the thinner, the better, the less of it they use the better. For this is the thing you were saying, you know what, for the minute like it is will be the last thing to get affected because like other products, you're hoping that they get stronger, they get better, more robust. This is the one product you're going make it less of it. If you can't, please make less, make it? Can you get down to microns? At this stage we have we have.
Speaker 3: Been battle in oil crisses over the last number of weeks there dare I say a month or two since the United States decided, for reasons that were never fully explained to the rest of the world, we can take we.
Speaker 1: Can take a shot at it. I think they need they need, like a lot of times, they need to help their friends, Yes, and out a good dose of freedom.
Speaker 3: And should people get distracted from this start or the other bonus, we knew that it was going to start impacting us at the petrol pumps and the diesel pumps and we've had tractor whatnot in protest of all this. We know, but there's like a much more insidious thing that's happening, which is all the oil based products which do not know or be familiar with or never have considered it, are being impacted, such as fertilizer which will impact on crops grown and all that. But for all that, Tom, the other thing that's made out of oil based products is condoms. And I'm about to take a hit.
Speaker 1: They are, but I mean on the flip side of that. You know, they are saying that, you know, the population is decreasing worldwide, and that's never but it's not.
Speaker 3: To dive two footed into the conspiracy of it all. Do you think that there's some long game conspiracy here to boost the population of the world by purposefully engineering war that would create a shortage of contraceptives or have I given that way more thought than any of these fucking knuckleheads up top half?
Speaker 1: I think probably if you wanted to go that way, you could just hire a couple of really stealthy double sevens to go into this factory with a load of pins, just poking boxes. Yeah, just tell the quality control guy and the jur X factory to take the day off.
Speaker 3: We're not even talking about the gur X factory. We're talking about the factory that makes.
Speaker 1: The X makes du X makes Trojan. They're all outsourced to Singapore and they're making five billion of the easy year. That's how many they're turning out. That's a lot of writing. That is my god, that's a lot of writing.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of writing if you only use them once.
Speaker 1: Buddy, this is it. But he's saying, and it's the only way to do it. He doesn't want to down production or whatever, but it is going to It is going to pair back, unfortunately, and the prices are going to go by thirty percent minimum. Chap Ceo. It came out, go mackay go my cat toward media outlets to the production costs have risen sharply because of course oil and oil.
Speaker 3: Is the less of it there is, the more expensive it is.
Speaker 1: Now. I incorrectly said Singapore. It's actually Malaysian based producer and he produces it from all the big ones. Right. It doesn't for the NHS, doesn't for all, like if you're getting them on the medical card anywhere, if.
Speaker 3: It's been on the end of your tool has come out of this.
Speaker 1: Plus yeah, yeah, which is a horrific fucking way. It's to sentence that you've probably must grossest thing you've ever said her. But it is not looking good because crude oil, which they would buy it, they would buy and crude form of course, and they would refine it themselves. They're going to buy it at the very right out of the ground stage. Even at that, with oil prices going into the two hundred per barrel nearly at this stage, it's looking like Connie's are going to have to go up in price there, and that is going to spell a fucking disaster worldwide, especially for what it's done for, like disease epidemics in impoverished countries, just regular diseases for regular countries, you know.
Speaker 3: And and and this is why we don't really get all that political with the Tom and Jerry show, because it's all very well and good to start a joke and have a little condom shortage and then your general but seriously, third world countries are going to see a spike in sexually transmitted diseases and that's like, well, that's just kind of killed a bit a bit, doesn't it.
Speaker 1: It does a small. But but look, there's there's where doesn't there's a silver lining for everything, you know what I mean, there's there's.
Speaker 3: The battleby time was not LATEX one, you know.
Speaker 1: But there really is like there's there's always you know, there's an ill wind jar that says it doesn't blow good for somebody at some stage, like and this is always an opportunistic point. I think people jump in and go, you know what, you know what, let's have a look at this because right if oil prices, because it happens, it happens when oil products or a product isn't available anymore, somebody crafty somewhere will come up with an alternative. And sometimes, Jared, you can just it's it was right there in front of you all along in the history books. You don't have to go. You don't have to go. They have like own Johnny's have been around for years, Jared. I mean, they like to tell us that we're the cutting edge. You have everything. They've found stuff dug in the ocean that really much resembles computers. We I'm not getting heavily into the conspiracy there, but I you know, Ali is built the pyramids. I'm just saying somebody there's technology from in the day there the padding broke. You know, this oil stuff in its own right is a bit of a bastard. It took over the world when I'd say, there's alternatives out there, and there's always an alternative when you go looking hard enough, and I reckon if we look back in history, you go back to three thousand BC and who whogier the Egyptians, the fucking egypsums by the Greeks and the Romans, not of other on him. Didn't want to be getting anybody up the off. We're riding a flat out, especially the Romans and the Greeks. Very sexy bastards, no underpants anywhere to be seen. They were using animal intestines and bladders. I needs must but you know what, it's organic. Yeah, we should be no argument there, I suppose, do you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Let this. I mean we're all trying to get away from polyester and whatnot, and I mean a good rinse out you could probably use it again. I'm just saying there's not more SSS fast fashion jer it's one of the killers worldwide. That's my beag.
Speaker 3: Top of Tom and Jerry Show with a pinch of salt, folks. But there it's there for you if you need it.
Speaker 1: You can put salt on it if you want to. I suppose, I mean it is a meat product. Sixteenth century jump.
Speaker 3: Forward, we've been Yeah, if I can't lay your hand on I was going to say, a photo sheepskin sheep and testing, where the fuck am I going?
Speaker 1: Tom Well, if you can't, And it would seem there was like we went backwards technology wise from the lads of the Roman times and the and the Egyptians. We definitely went backwards. We went eating fucking mud. After the fall of the Egyptians and then the fall of the Romans, it turned into a shit show. Do you know what I mean? They had They actually had, you know, latrines, they had proper we were throwing buckets of shit out windows. But you know, in the early but in the sixteen and seventeen hundreds, like so at least somebody took it upon themselves to go, you know what, maybe we need to upgrade a small bit.
Speaker 4: And an Italian anatomist waiting to hear this for a name, yeah, I wonder what he got named after him, Gabrielle Phalloppian.
Speaker 3: I mean, ye name like that tell I tell you that.
Speaker 1: He's a first cousin of Jeremiah Ovaries. He documented was documented a linen sheet, but a well made linen sheet be fastened with a ribbon specifically designed to protect against syphilis, which was absolute and the thing itself was treated in chemicals. What chemicals, star, I don't know how comfortable it was. I don't know. I wasn't around back then, but by all accounts it worked. Not for everybody, of course, because we still going to.
Speaker 3: Say, like, disease can't be working the cure time. I mean, to your point, what chemicals, sir?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean some of this stuff might be just you know, virtual signaling. You know, I'm a good person. I'm where I was sheathed one with chemic dipped in chemicals and a ribbon. You know. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I never thought i'd hear myself say no, opt for the guts. But here we are.
Speaker 1: Well, look just as well, because it didn't stick around by the eighteenth centuries, connies were back. But we're chemically treated now, chemically treated, and I you know, like like you go tanning a height chemically treated high quality intestines, high quality ones.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, so so still intestines, but good ones, no.
Speaker 1: Good ones, good ones. Now you you don't want to you don't want to cows in Testine, Jerry, you know what I mean. You want something something slight, you know what I mean, like a chickens in Testine or something like that. And even they were so good that they didn't revert to they had the name at the time, you know, I mean it was French letters and every no, they would just call them skins, skins, skins, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. There were prophylactics and contraceptives. They were they were safe as houses. Now obviously none of these things were shroowing up in Ireland, Catholic Ireland at the time because all those other heathenistic going to Hell bastards were using these I'm just talking as from a historical point of view. By you know, we're all organic and natural up unto this point, Linen, of course, and body parts of the animals. I'm okay with that. You know, it wasn't until the nineteenth century, eighteen fifty five, don't you know when who but Charlie Goodyear. Charlie Goodyear, yep.
Speaker 3: Developed was not satisfied with the tire money.
Speaker 1: Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, No, he turned around and developed the first ever Rubbert handy. They did. He is a fucking bicycle too, by all accounts, not very stretchy. They offered improved protection that all over the other stuff. But by all accounts it was like putting on a Willy Well.
Speaker 3: I mean this is it too? Yeah, yeah, your heart is pure, mister Goodyear Well, I mean really all the fuckng to it was he'd left over Rubbert, That's all.
Speaker 1: This is Triment's is all. He melting down and putting him over there at the end of a brush handle. That's an keep. That's what he was doing.
Speaker 3: Like here' that's what it is. It's welly for your mickey as well, it is. So that's genuinely all it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's some rough patches you can head into, all right with it, like, but I'm just saying that's her own business. They really struck popularity because these would have been only now, Jared, we're talking the upper the upper Echeland society would add their hands and the likes of this, like you know what I mean, the you know, the average grunt in the street was just banging out like fourteen fifteen children. They because they just didn't know what to do, Like they weren't no rocket surgeons, so they weren't fully sure how it was even happen for the most part, so.
Speaker 3: It was really only that it was free and it was Moorish, Yeah, very Moorish.
Speaker 1: So there was an awful realistically, there was an awful divide between the aristocracy getting their hands on these things. It wasn't really until the First World War, the First World War really through to the Second World War, all the way through it was really documented that they were given out to gis. Yes, because you know American souldiers coming over you know, over here, overpaid and over sex, you know, and all that. All the things that they said about him turning over here with a full mouth of teeth. There's been a few even, I know one chapter his great grandfather was a g I and and and he bounced, He absolutely bounced. But to be fair, the entire family have had a line of good teeth ever since then. I will say.
Speaker 3: That they have.
Speaker 1: They've had good teeth ever since. What can we say, But they were just giving out along with most like you know, the same way with v and Amvetz. They were probably just giving speed as well to stay awake. It was a lot of trial by r but in fairness, it was a smart enough thing to give him out to stop him, and I wasn't really to stop pregnancy. They just didn't want these lads getting sick with.
Speaker 3: Syphilis, getting all kinds of stuff and not being able to to go get garrotted in the some exactly.
Speaker 1: And now it was straight up rubber still at the time, do you know what I mean? It was rubber as rubber would be known as. But latex to present day is really what they use. And latex is kind of a different chemical structure. It is oil based, but it ain't the fucking stuff you know the Michelin are using. Like you know, your paradip zeros aren't keeping you between the car and the road, like you know what I mean, It ain't the same thing. It is a slightly different and elasticated substance in the chemical form, but at its base, fucking aisle cher.
Speaker 3: War never changes. Tom Well, I gotta tell you, if you're out there and you're kurt in these days, ladies and gentlemen, you know, and you intend to kurt into the next year or so, Kurt, safely stock up on your Johnnies when you get the chance, because who the fuck knows when that straight's going to open again. Hey, might be open by the time this episode drops.
Speaker 1: Conventional wisdom says, it's not if you incootes with nabatur. I'm just saying it's been done before.
Speaker 3: Show me a boucher with a big family. Great, Now the butchers are Christ. Well, we better get off the subject. Tom, stop talking about our lads and start talking about this lad.
Speaker 1: Now there's that guy you have. I like this is a nice turn about. Typically, our this lad is a very specific person, team place that we have chosen. But this is this is a broad brush. Now, Jerry, you've thrown this is a broad brush.
Speaker 3: Hey, do you know what this lad? This week's this lad is Tom. If you're listening to the Tom and Jerry Show, maybe you're this lad. Possibly Jesus Yeah, you know you're doing it right now, this lad. We've had all we can stand, and we can stands no more. We want to talk about the lads, and indeed, ladies who play their phones out on public transport suffered in Jesus Christ, I've had just a better fucking belly full of this now, Tom. So you you tell me that this is like a recent phenomenon, would you agree? I guess I get more public transport than you do, right, even just in public in pubs and.
Speaker 1: Cafine I first encountered because I still there's a I need to hear from my words here now. But I well, I mean, I think they all know there's a person who's close to my family, and when they imagine you're all sitting around extended family and everything, watching the match, watching a sporting life at Christmas, watching every time a bell rings, and iconic moments in the family, hope, yes, if the phone rings, you'll step the fuck out. You'll pa silence, I bring it back later, or you'll step out. This one particular family member, who is all the other points in their life, is unbelievably gracious and lovely, but for some reason sees no problem with just answering the phone. There.
Speaker 3: I know several people in my family like that, Tom, that we toss this full conversation on the phone and and and you listen in for it, and there's not even a little bit of come here. There's people here about that, But no, no, yeah, no news yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will shy talk and talked. It bends my I have to walk out of the room. It bends me my brain. That bad.
Speaker 3: Well, I take all that and put it into the compressed tube like nature of a train number one. There's a couple of things that play here. We're not really talking about the people that take phone calls in public. Yeah, well, I feel even that bad. I sat across from a lady on the train while she had an argument with a solicit of Christ about the reading of a will and why her sister was getting Everton, And she was ball and crying and furious angry, speaking about very very personal details and about how the sister was getting such and such, even though she was the one directly to blame for her baby brother drowning in the bat forty years ago.
Speaker 1: Fuck me, okay, there's right. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I sat across from a woman on the train. Listen to all that on the five thirty out of drum Contra and it packed. We all listened to it.
Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 3: Some people no idea why that call couldn't wait till she got off a fucking cool mind.
Speaker 1: Some people will be licking their lips at the ocean of that though. That's the fact, that's the only fucking thing I can see. It was like, there will be some people like I'm listening to that. I don't want to hear it. I don't whatever the subject matter is, I don't want to hear any of it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to hear it.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't relate to that person has been the same fucking speed sees is me. She doesn't have the self criticism to go. I probably shouldn't be doing any of this in public.
Speaker 3: Just just neither here or there. If I get If I get a phone call in public, rare and rare these days. Tom, But if I get a phone call in public, I was like, I'll bring you back. I'll get back in five minutes. I'm just I'm on the bus, and even.
Speaker 1: Your voice voice notes here, if you leave me one, I will turn it down, hold it right up to my ear like a phone call. I just sit sildly.
Speaker 3: So let's move on to that. So phone calls in public transport, you know you're entitled to ring anybody at any time. I suppose, God damn it, I'll say, if you're sitting across from someone, talking pure Scott or Scott the phone. Yeah, at eight o'clock in the morning. Yeah, no news and you yeah, no news. God damn, there's no news.
Speaker 1: Shut the fuck up and get shut the fuck up.
Speaker 3: What are you doing send a text, voice notes or another thing? And I guess just sounds I'm not even going to say voice notes, Tom, Like if you're just there with your phone in your hand and you're pissing around as we were all known to do, and see like someone sends you a funny WhatsApp of a video and you say, will I get my headphones out of my pocket and put them in my ears and connect them to the bluetooth and listen to this?
Speaker 1: Or will I just play it at full volume? Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, there are there are very few people that will be thankful to say, mostly young people if they're getting the train out of Malahideen Somemer or something like that. They won't like, put a song playing on the phone and just put it down on the table and listen to it like you just listen to music like you'd listen to the radio. Not a thing that's very common, except maybe some of the kids going out to like hot and forget that so thankfully uncommon. But people will just like flick through TikTok and watch TikTok after TikTok full volume full today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's that's already given me. Fucking give me moment, a moment of fucking do you know?
Speaker 3: And like maybe if you are a member of the public that does this, if you're if you like nothing better than getting on the bus home and listening to the Tom and Very Show without headphones, we appreciate your listenership, but god damn, get the fucking things in, like you're you know, I don't want I don't want that to be how people discover our brand. There was a one listening to art.
Speaker 1: It was the greatest little shit I ever listened. You know, It's funny because it's the only time I really see it is when I'm gigging in cities and you'll see a group of adds, three or four lads walking and one of them will have some shite and it's like that EMC. It's not even proper decent dance music. It's like that that that back in track to somebody being like fucking wrapping EMC. You know that ship and they're playing and they'll be walking down the path talking to each other, Like so your conversation with each other isn't enough that you've got to backfill the situation without you even to the point even the other day, we went for a lovely fucking forest walk and the boy turns around goes dead are your phone? And you're like what yeah? And he says, you play the playlist. I went not a hoping fucking christ because he has his playlist, of course, like all kids do nowadays. But I'm like, it ain't fucking happen. That's on.
Speaker 3: We'll connect that in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you hold on to the first. There is one particular woman that I seem to be. She's she's Eastern European. I don't know she is Polish, but she she is full blown like what do they call her fucking facetimes okay, with her grandkids back home, and I guess it. Okay, she's maybe middle aged or whatever. But you're like, dickhead, look around. Nobody else is doing what you're doing right now, and it's not a thing. And they're given a full tilt and You're like, you're wrecking. Everybody else is fucking just chill time, Like just what what are you fucking doing?
Speaker 3: Like, look around you. Is anybody on the train cracking open the can? And if they are, how the other people of the of the train and regard them. Yeah, well I could imagine I were forced. I had something in public that I had never seen before. And it's got to be it's got to be ten years ago more, maybe maybe ten years ago. I was in London for a week gggin and.
Speaker 1: The first and this is where I thought. There's certain things I said I thought I'd never see enter Ireland because we slag each other too much, do you know what I mean? And more and more I'm fucking wrong on that issue because I think we're turning into a nation of fucking absolute pussies with our friends, because we're letting our friends lads. You're letting your friends off with some ship nowadays.
Speaker 3: Like you couldn't see it on the podcast, folks, But I gave a weary shrug.
Speaker 1: There, Yeah, Like Jerry hasn't slagged me about my haircut. You're looking them out, Yeah, but you were fully win in your right to.
Speaker 3: Go got a haircut, haircut.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. He's fully been in the right to do that, and I appreciate it. There's a level of comfort when that happens. I'm like, yeah, that's good. Like I saw this thing in London. First thing I saw on the same danger I ended up walking on the way to shortage to do a gig. Shortage, like London is divided, especially the city center is divided into It's like the Hunger Games. It literally street block by block is different types of humans. So you will have shortage is out and out. And I've talked about this maybe a long time ago. Shortage is real hipster, Like is the place where the belfaestlats where he blowpen that breakfast bar or that you know, the seareal bar.
Speaker 3: It's not even they're putting it on for a bit hipster.
Speaker 1: They are ground zero of these cunts, Penny Farthings and fucking typewriters, you know what I mean. Yet there are you know their parents are worth millions. Yes. And next door to that is the financial department. It's you know where the shared is and stuff like that. And I saw a guy in a suit, but he had obviously had the trou it was a hot day. He had the trousers tailored to be shorts with suit and waistcoat and short and button down short and tie and you're wearing motherfucker for your three minutes that you get to get outside to have a sig. What the fuck? And I'm just remember going my friends would lash the backs of my legs. But or if they saw me doing something like that, slip on shoes, no socks, you know what I mean, it's like, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: And on the stand, so be it. Nobody is telling these people catch yourself on, don't be That's what happened for fucking TikTok's out loud.
Speaker 1: That's what happens. You see in the likes of London, I thought, because there's ten twelve million people there and anonymity in numbers and all the rest of it, and your core old school friends aren't around, yes, do you know what I mean? Whereas we've only a small amount of people who were five million, there's a small enough number to slag the fuck out of your friend, do you know, because you're not allowed to get away with that shit. And the day I said that, same day, I remember seeing a guy he'd earbuds of some sort in whether and he's just talking as loud, and I thought he was a mental patient, which is okay in London because there's a lot of them. And I just thought this fhlad serious issue. Because he's walking down street. I see nothing, no phone in his hand. I'm going, oh fuck, this fella is fucking off it. But he's walking straight, he's got it, seems like he's got it together. He's well dressed. Yeah, I said what I said to him was all for. And I noticed that two yearbuds and oh my fucking god, they should. You should be hit so hard that they stay mid air. You travel backwards so fast, they should stay in the mid air because they just popped out your ears. That's how hard your friends should hit you in the chest for being being that whinker. And this guy's walking down the street like it's no big deal. And now it still catches me. When I'm in Dublin, I see people around the corner just randomly shouting to themselves some shite about picking up messages and the way, oh like, well you need to be you need the tablet of some sort, because there's no way you can genuinely believe that that's acceptable. Carry on.
Speaker 3: There's there's levels to all this as well. Like I said that, you know, talking into your talking into your phone on a phone call, that's one thing. Playing YouTube clips to yourself on public transport, goddamn. Like, and I know you have headphones. You saw have a bitch. The phone probably came with them. Yeah, you know, you're just too lazy to get them out of your pocket. That's all it is. I do, I truly believe. But you have easiness and it's carelessness.
Speaker 1: You haven't had your neck slapt by a mate. Yeah, that's the problem. You see, these people are wondering. This is a dangerous precipice. We find society injer where nobody's being held accountable for being a knob by their mates or people in society. Do you know, like I have an in in build fear which keeps being in line. By the way, this isn't people going here. Man, you need some liberty in your life. No, no, no, no, there's certain fucking things like I'll give you an example. I owld years ago working like fuck, the mother had to going to hospital for a week or two. We were had to go and stay with the name because that man and when in the weaker ten days that my mother was away. That man had the engine of a car inside in the kitchen he was working on. He was eating out of kens of beans. He had no clean under pants. He was a fucking dishevel fucking cave man. The house. The neighborhood's women had to come from four miles away to help clean the place up before my mother came home, and to give him a fucking sort him out and give me a toe the hole. What I'm saying is she only he's now a high functioning member of society as a result of the fear of my mother. Yes, if the same liberal latitude was allowed with my old man to him and just fucking do what you want in society. Man, but your ears, dude, I wouldn't have seen him in the thirty years. He might be dead, like we might be dead. Like there has to be some level of a thumb on the back of your neck going, I'll punch it, I'll punch the back of your fucking head if you carry on like a fucking goal. And that's what these people are there in Limerick. They would be known as fucking gowls. And it's a great word, and it's a great all encompassing word. And everybody knows what it means the second you hear it. If you have a loud phone playing and somebody goes, oh your fucking gowl, there's no really, there's no thought process in their head. I guarantee as an Irish person if they have any heritage at all here that they don't go I know what that means, and I am Now you can get up pity because.
Speaker 3: It's I'm sure it's not people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people nowadays have a high, high impression of themselves and there's no self criticism whatsoever. There's You're going, no, dude, have a gander look at the reflection of that mirror of the Lewis or that window of the Lewis. You're a prize cunt. Get your fucking shit together and put on your fucking big boy trousers and stop on reckon everybody's day with your shit.
Speaker 3: Well, I gotta tell you, if you're in road, are and want to employ a new degree of security guard that just walks up and down the carriages, picking phones out of people's hands and fucking them out the window if that music is too loud. Put Tom Oman and Jerry McBride down for two roles.
Speaker 1: In that no problem.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you one thing, Tom, It wasn't always like this. I swear this is a recent problem. And we remember a time when there was in people blasting phones out loud, watching TikTok's and short form media shite on public transport on the phone. We remember a lot of things in actual fact, because neither you or I are young men. We talk about it in the final segment of our show, where we go back through our forty somewhad years of history, through the fulcrum of life, and a segment that we call we remember when.
Speaker 1: When I was a young lad twenty or thirty or forty years ago, this one touched would have touched a lot of people down three years.
Speaker 3: I think this is one. Here's what I'm going to tell you, Tom, this is one that you and I will remember, and we might be the last people. We might be the first people to fully experience this and the last people to fully appreciate that. What has inspired this segment of the show, folks, is the release, if not this weekend, in the following weekend of Mortal Combat in movie theaters, a new Mortal Kombat movie coming out live. Mortal Kombat is of course a successful computer game franchise, But Mortal Kombat Tom was born in the arcades.
Speaker 1: It was and as combat with a K, much like you know you see your hairdressers, you know, curl up and day. You know it's it's a classic cuts. I never yeah, classic coats with ks and the cays are scissors. Like there's I I could never. I could never because it was the word combat showed up and many many things we were into as kids, you know what I mean, all the war movies we watched, even the trousers the ore were combats, you know what I mean. Yes, so the words I knew what combat should be spelled like. And I always thought about this must be an Asian thing. And because Asia was always cool as fuck when your combat, Yes, because it was, you know, for me, especially being so deeply intrenched in marsh arts from the age of four. Well, yes, this is my jam. And I was never. I was never a street fighter guy. For whatever reason, I don't I always side with Martal Kombat. I don't know. I always thought it was more violent and just as it was, and I remember thinking this is more my jam because for me, h street fighter, which there is also a movie coming out and later in the year. Yes, I just always thought it was a bit kiddy, a bit cartoony, you know what I mean. Whereas in Mortal Kombat you could when you hit you hit peak, you can reach inside the guy's soul, rip it out.
Speaker 3: And chop his head off and all this kind of shif Yeah, yeah, yeah, the so so Mortal Kombat was just one of hundreds of thousands of games that we ourselves experienced in the thing that just isn't around anymore, Tom, and that is the amusement arcade. Now, if you see an amusement arcade advertised anywhere in town these days, that's a casino. You can win and you can play the slots, and you can play the video poker and all this kind of shit. But we're talking about very hard to explain this to people these days, particularly younger people. A room in town where you went to play computer games for ten p at a time.
Speaker 1: Some pubs had them as well.
Speaker 3: They were some chip shops as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some chip shops had them as well, where you'd put a couple of pens which they were at the time, yes, into and you would get either There was Colum A Gray rally. There was, there was there was I think there was a Saga rally as well. There was Sally I remember love in that one. Now what there is nowadays in anybody for right youthful let's listening going, I know, I can't wrap. Sandbox is popping up in cities all over Ireland. It's an American based one and it's all VR headsets. You're going and you're going, and that made it with Quazar like was probably the the nexus of all that too, like where you go around and light and you're wearing you know, you're wearing a that has receptors on it and stuff, but prior to all that and you'll see them, you'll see them. Some of these things go for big money nowadays because they're just so nostalgic. Pac Man would have been the first one to start.
Speaker 3: You know honestly, like here's what I remember, Tom, what I remember, and what was the case? Would do different things you had, like as you say yourself, there the Sega rallies of this world, which was like a big sit down cabin with a steering wheel and you felt that you were driving a car. And there were various ones with jet fighters and afterburner and all. This kind of thing quite rare. You wouldn't necessarily see them. You might see them in the bowl and alley or whatnot, you wouldn't necessarily see them in the chip shop. What you would see is you would see cabinets. And here's what got me down through the years. I was just like, oh, yeah, that should makes sense. I always felt like when an arcade got a new game, they took that cabinet and wheeled it out and sold it off to someone else and whealed the whole new machine back in. It's not the case.
Speaker 1: You just switched out.
Speaker 3: You opened the cabinet, you took out the board inside it. Yeah, that played pac Man, and you stuck in a new one that played Pong.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing.
Speaker 3: You literally swapped it out like you'd swap a cartridge. And then you change, like maybe maybe there'll be a little sort of banner at the top that said Space Invaders. You took that off and you put up Donkey Kong and Carry Warriors or something like that.
Speaker 1: There's no doubt that gaming isn't last. And the people listening to this gun I can't wrap my head around this guy. There wasn't really like, yes, there was the eight bit, you know, nintendoes to have a home and stuff, but nothing beat going to the arcade where you had a joystick three buttons and you could literally you two joysticks three buttons each at the same box.
Speaker 3: So same box. And the graphics in the arcade are we're leaps and mounds away from what you had at home. Oh yes, Tom says there, which your Nintendo's are a bare way of the amstrads and commodore of the day, very looking back, very rudimentary. What was in the arcade was night and day. I know you guys are all very used to your PlayStation fives where everything looks like absolute real life and not the case.
Speaker 1: Back in the day.
Speaker 3: If you wanted like real kick ass graphics and sound, you went.
Speaker 1: To the arcade, Well you had. What you had the opportunity to do was actually battle each other too when it came to that, Like I couldn't care less for the motorbike. Do you remember the motorbikes that had like a spring in them and the different The Island Man t T was the fourth one that had that, and you can get the bag and then there was remember time crisis with the pink and Blue Gune.
Speaker 3: Time Crisis. I fucking love time crisis because time crisis gave you a put a gun.
Speaker 1: In your gun in your hand, yeah, gone in.
Speaker 3: Your hand, and you felt like a true man. Yeah, thirteen years of age or like this most this is exactly what I was put on this there to do is fucking cap fules.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean, and I think there would have been like Double Dragon and stuff like that that were the early door stuff, but I think Martal Kombat had to be. It was definitely out ahead of Taking and all these ones.
Speaker 3: So oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we would we would have been the right height for Mortal Combat because I would have been about eleven or twelve. You would have been about ten or eleven coming into it. So that was just the right age for it to really blow our minds, like holy shit, and the arcade and character more on that in a second. Got a mortal combat machine down to.
Speaker 1: It and forget about forget about we were we were petitioning. We had any time during the summer here because we're in Inland County. You'd get maybe three times four times getting brought to Tromore in whats and Tramore would be a mini blackpool, if you know what I mean. Still to this day people holiday down there and it's it's.
Speaker 3: A beautiful problem.
Speaker 1: It's a beautiful part of the world. I've gigged on there, and very different vibe when you're gigging there. To the locals, I had more teeth than all of them put together. But maybe the market combat was a real thing for them.
Speaker 3: Maybe they're talking on the phone on the train.
Speaker 1: But I remember it was. It was just get out of my way the second I got out of the family car. Like I didn't care for Sander or or See. I mean, we think we all know my opinion on that. And this was was there even when when I was ten years of age on a new thing, folks, I would get straight to it, and it just came. What all the other games, I couldn't give a shit about. Whatever it was about Mortal Kombat, it came naturally to me. Street Fighter No, for some reason, not other fighting games, Mortal Kombat just maybe it was the pure brutality of it, or the way it was set up in its movements, the buttons. I was fucking ripping out people's heads with the fine England off the end, finish him like you would. I would get finished him. I would get lads to cut like I was fucking sharking at the thing, like I was making ten p a go off. These lads going bring it, bring it, bring.
Speaker 3: Winner, stays on win. That's the thing as well. Like you know, for for an arcade, regardless of what you were playing, your Mortal Combats or anything like that, it was like how would I say this. I don't want to say like a culture anything like that, but like the people that were there were people that fucking love this.
Speaker 1: Shit to the point like it justified all the hours of martial arts I'd been doing in my head, like well, of course this is my training coming. Win my hands is coming to me. I remember going to the Masni Games. I think I was I was running. I think I've talked about it before. I was running for Tipperary at the time and didn't give a fuck about the running. No, because Masny itself was a holiday center, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: One of the biggest as we would know what arcades in Ireland. I was just like row upon row of games.
Speaker 1: If anybody is wondering what's that about, go listen to Action Park where we just got we talk about the comparative one here in Ireland at the time, and I remember I got in there and I was probably fourteen fifteen, i'd say, And I got myself to the arcade Arcades day one, and I mean it was racking up. It became I won't say legendary, but it became notable that your man from Tip is ridiculous at market combat. I didn't have martle combat at home. I didn't have it. We had a commedy or six. You just didn't have it. No, no, we didn't. There was no way my parents were working out for that. Not a prayer like so whatever whatever. It would take me a game or two to get the old ring rushed off, of course, but a couple of ten p's there, but I knew twenty thirty p would get me to where I needed to get, you know, brought back the old reactions again and I was just wiping the floor with people. Now A couple of lads who would have wealthier lads who had it at home were able to go toe to toe me. But yeah, they're tasted. They were tasty.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you a question, Tom, Let me ask you a question. Now, okay, so did you have any sort of arcade or is now your hometown or to put it in other words, did you have a pool hole?
Speaker 1: We didn't what we had and it was the most bizarre thing. Tipperary town didn't have anything like that. It pubs had games. So but in our local village of Bench and it was a pub and it had two games. It had Sega rally, yes, and at one stage it had time crisis, but they never got in mortal combat. Right. Then, strangely, very strangely, a fellow took over the rental of what had years previous been a pub, but it now had been I don't know, maybe a residential house on the one street that's English little village. And he filled it with pool tables and with arcade machines. Yes, it was the most bizarre thing. It was this domestically lit house and with a tile floor and it was like a huge big front living room part and what I guessing was the kitchen. He put two or three pool tables in that bit and put arcade machines in the other. And he'd gotten in fucking street fighter and I go, I couldn't there was nothing he would he would do I could bend it because of course lads were spending money on Street Fighter of course, and everything I could do, he wouldn't do it to get in Martle combat.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: It used to kill me to go in there with the lads and they were happy, how to be playing everything, and I'm just kicking dust, going load out. Shit. I had no time for any of it there. And the lads they had a shotgun one where you're going shooting. Oh, it was fantastic, fantastic if you didn't have a punch on for one particular thing. But this prick wouldn't get in. Of course, we fully within his fucking rights to do whatever we wanted.
Speaker 3: We had, we had, we had, we had a we had. We were not an amusement arcade like they would have had Doner for more. But we did have a pool hall in writing and carme across which was at the back of the video shop, which was also a taxi rank.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you know, there was no such thing.
Speaker 1: As funeral home as well, like just and.
Speaker 3: What everyone on up there, do you know what I mean, Like maybe there were alterning dresses upstairs or whatever we're doing, you know.
Speaker 1: Altern fucking diesel. Let's say, not give it where you're from.
Speaker 3: But you went out that, you went out the back of it, and it was and there was the pool hall. So it was a room that would hold three pool tables and then a row of arcade machines on the other it and about forty fifteen or sixteen year old gotta tell you, mostly boys and maybe if some of them had a girlfriend brought them down and pretty much everyone was smoking. So just just the thickest smokeest room I've ever been in my life. And you have tears coming out of your eyes trying to play fucking Sunset Rider. You know, like that does not exist anymore. It does does not exist anywhere in the world at all anymore, and if it does, it's probably some shortage hipster fucking bullshit. Like you know, you're certainly not smoking your brains out. Well, the last place I saw it was a pub in Dublin. We stopped in there for something a pint and maybe something to eat, just a couple of years ago. It was near Tara Street and they had like was totally deflated for me all together. They had like free arcade games to play and you're like, no, I want to pay from that. I need. I need somewhere I can drop a twenty twenty pekin.
Speaker 1: You know, I want to pay for it. There's no value in this at all. I just stopped mid game is just well, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not pushed to just fucking walk off.
Speaker 1: So for me, it was just like, okay, this is the death of it. So if their people are going nostalgia, I'm all right, guys, go.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's There was no value to it. But there was value in was that you got an hour for your lunch at school, and you fucking high tailed it down to the pool room. You add a sandwich as quick as you could, you went in, You had twenty minutes and forty p blow it all in games as quick as you can, and get the fuck back up to school. But I gotta tell you, Tom, that is that is what I remember about it all. And and that place they'd eventually get your beloved Mortal Kombat and say Mortal Kombat too. At some stage you could not get near that fucking machine because as much as people like to play it, people like to watch it.
Speaker 1: This is the thing.
Speaker 3: And I drew a crowd.
Speaker 1: There was one in Clammel and I remember going. It was like a Saturday morning, I think. Myself and my friend we went and the mother of course was doing the shop and she goes off, you go with your grand We're maybe thirteen or fourteen, and didn't We were only going around the time. We didn't really say what we're going to. With no replan. We found ourselves in this place called Circles and it's a snooker hole. Yes, and to say that too youngflas shouldn't be in this place. Now. They had a couple of arcade machines, but really this is like if you imagine the snooker holes where gangster movies have the backdrop.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Arms were broken over fucking pockets in this fucking place.
Speaker 3: Later in the day people are draped out over tables and asked where's the fucking money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because even early in the day while we were there, my friend was a very good snooker player, and I was all right, so we said we played a couple of computer agains and we said, well, why we're here, let's have a game a snooplazer the guy. The guy gives us out the balls. The whole lot. It was funny he did. He seemed non plus by the whole thing. But even ike cop at like thirteen fourteen years of age that we probably shouldn't be there when the lads on the pool table next to us, snooker table next to us, or comparing food choices in two different prisons in Ireland. Yeah, the time time to wrap it up, wrap it up. Don't go for the one four seven.
Speaker 3: Just let's these are And I swear to God Tom, I'm sorry. But like arcades born very bright in the eighties into the early nineties, they got very fancy in the early two thousands, would all be you know, big cabinets and big machines to try and draw a crowd. Because you could get a PlayStation at home, you could do it. It had caught up. The technology had caught up at home you could play tech and at home you didn't have to leave your house.
Speaker 1: On your telly, on your tell.
Speaker 3: It was just like there was just like a fifteen to twenty year stretch that we were right there for it, buddy, And I gotta tell you it's never coming back, It'll never be replicated, but I fondly remember it.
Speaker 1: Where have they all gone, as the question, all those things because there's no repurpose in those things for anything like you make a fish tank out of them or something. Or are they all of Vanillasi's house?
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Where are they? Are they?
Speaker 3: A vast majority of them are smashed up there.
Speaker 1: Of course they are. They've been repurposed and they're probably making condoms right now out of the fucking thing.
Speaker 3: There you go, There you go. Well, Tom with this podcast, I think this is as good as any point too kind of shit, and wrap it up and tell everybody that they can join us on the Tom and Jerry social media channels at Tom and Jerry Show, Tom with a T, Jerry with a G. Will find us on Instagram. If you see Tom and Jerry anywhere else that ain't us because we're solding on Instagram. We want to know what you played in your local arcade and what are you using for Robert Johnny's Days Days lands? Do we want these fine people to do.
Speaker 1: Do as a favor And if right now we're playing loudly on from public transport, please turn us down, turn us down and wait till you find a place to listen to us. Quietly or wheel starts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a person listening to this should know better.
Speaker 1: Trust me, go ahead, hit subscribe. You know what to do. You can, of course leave comments on all the usual places. Spotify is probably the one we can see the easiest. Give us the five star rate and if you wouldn't mind, I should just share it with everybody as well. We're going to be here on a constant basis, so do hit the bell. It'll arrive into your device whatever it is, on a Thursday morning every single week. Get in contact, feel free to come and makers have known a gigs and whatnot with Shape Paul, get a photi and other than that, you're I'd say, I probably have a card or something to drop up to the goats to apologize. I don't know, I'm gonna have to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But by the way, Tom, did you know that the team song to Mortal Kombat is based on the Scandinavian church sound.
Speaker 1: I do now I hate Come here for the cracked legs, walk away with the learning. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 3: Good luck, good look, m
Speaker 2: M mmm