Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: KFI Radio.
Speaker 1: This is Mission Control Houston.
Speaker 4: Please call station for our voice check.
Speaker 5: Station.
Speaker 1: This is Amy King with kfi's wake up Call. How do you hear me?
Speaker 4: I can hear you loud and clear.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 6: And his name is Amy Kame.
Speaker 5: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 6: This is.
Speaker 1: It's five oh one. This is your wake up call for Monday, November twenty fifth. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And glad that you are getting your days started with us. Hope you had a good weekend. I had a very chill weekend, but it was a lot of fun yesterday. You know, what do you do when you leave work? You come back to work, But it was for a lot of fun. Dean Sharp had his annual home holiday show at the KFI Performance Lounge upstairs, and I don't know it was about it. Probably about one hundred people came out for it. It was really fun, really fun, and good way to kick off the holiday season. Even though I technically broke my law about holidays because like I can't do one holiday until the last, you know, until one is gone. So like we haven't had Thanksgiving yet, so I'm really not allowed to do Christmasy stuff. But I broke the rule. I dressed in holiday gear and came down to hang out with the Dean and a bunch of home listeners. A lot of fun. But it's a free for all starting on Friday. Christmas is going up. We're all over it. I might even get a tree this weekend. Seems like it's time because it's so late in the late in the month this year for Thanksgiving. Here's what's ahead on Wake Up Call. Got a lot going on today. Lyle and Eric Menendez are expected to appear in court in Van Nuy's virtually as their lawyer asks a judge to re sentence the brothers who killed their parents in their home at Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. Getting to Thanksgiving dinner could be a bit challenging as forecasters warn of another round of winter weather in California. Winter storm warning is in effect for the Sierra Nevada through tomorrow, with heavy snow expected in higher elevations. In Seattle, thousands are still without power from the last bomb cyclone storm that hit the West Coast last week. The original host of the Wheel of Fortune has died. Chuck Woolery hosted the game show from nineteen seventy five to eighty one, and then went on to host several other popular game shows, including Scrabble and Love Connection. Remember that we'll be back in two and two. Chuck Wiillery was eighty three. President elect Trump has filled out his cabinet, or at least nominated everyone he wants to serve in the cabinet. ABC's Karen Travers is going to have the newest nominees. And what's next that's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Why mom and pop shops need your support. This Small Business Saturday, more than ever, we're going to be talking with the CMO, the chief marketing off chief marketing officer of Constant Contact, who's going to give us a little report, a report card on how small businesses are doing. That's coming up at the bottom of the hour. Every once in a while, a commercial gets to you and okay, I got suckered in this one. Did it for me? And then I felt kind of stupid because it's actually an ad but it's a good one and I'll share that with you before the bottom of the hour. Also, Thanksgiving a time of food and family and fun and this year potential some pretty nasty family fights. We're gonna be talking turkey and how not to get your feathers ruffled with ABC's Jim Ryan. That's coming up before the top of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Lyle and Eric Menendez have a date in court in their effort to try to get their sentences lowered. Legal expert Brian Buckmeyer says the hearing in Van Eys today involves the brother's claim of new evidence, arguing they should get a new trial or get their previous sentences reduced or thrown out.
Speaker 5: So significance of this hearing, which is typically a very mundane one, is that the Menendez brothers will appear virtually and they could be asked questions or answer any type of information that the judge asks of them.
Speaker 1: The court will hold a lottery to determine which sixteen members of the public will get a seat in the courtroom. The father of a woman from Maui reported missing in La has been found dead near Lax.
Speaker 6: Ryan Kobayashi had recently traveled to La too helped search for his missing daughter, and has not been seen since November eighth, when she apparently missed her connecting flight at Lax as she traveled from Hawaii to New York City.
Speaker 1: Kay if I Stammy Trujillo says the family claims Ryan Kobayashi killed himself yesterday by jumping from a parking garage. Hannah Kobayashi was last seen on November eleventh near the Pico Metro station in downtown La. More ballots are being counted today as election officials get closer to declaring a winner of the forty fifth Congressional district race. Democratic challenger Derek Tran has a five hundred and forty five vote lead over Republican incumbent Michelle Steele. Tran is leading in the smaller La County portion of the district. Steele has a slight lead in the larger Orange County portion. More than three hundred and fourteen thousand ballots have been counted. It's still not clear exactly how many ballots still have to be counted. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Karen Travers at five oh eight on your Monday morning wake up call, Karen, President elect Trump has been a busy little beaver. Are some of his newer nominations.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the big overall headline here is that with this flurry of activity Friday night and then into Saturday, the President elect has now named nominees for all of the fifteen agencies that make.
Speaker 2: Up the cabinet, so he is basically done. There are still some positions left that could be elevated to cabinet level, like the Small Business Administration, but for the big, big agencies, the one that you think about as the government agencies that make up the cabinet, they're finished for at least his picks. And now the next phase is the meeting with Senators for these nominees and then eventually confirmation hearings at the Senate, but that won't take place until Republicans control the Senate in early January. So it's a much faster timeline by the President elect than what we saw eight years ago when he was first elected, and even faster than what we saw from President Elect Joe Biden four years ago, and I think it indicates he knew the types of people he wanted for these positions. He had shortlists ready to go, his team was paired so he could make these moves quickly. Over the weekend, we saw him pick longtime allied Brook Rollins to be the Agriculture Secretary. Friday night, he announced billionaire Wall Street veteran Scott Besson, who's an economic advisor and fundraiser, for him to be the Treasury Secretary. Besson's an interesting choice because he had been spent years working for George Soros, Democratic mega donor, and he himself had been a Democratic donor decades ago. But this was a big battle for the position at the Treasury Department, with several others in the Trump world competing for that position, but ultimately it went to Bessend. And then one more just notable one was Oregon Congressman Lurid Chavez Dreimer, who has picked to lead the Labor Department. She's somebody that's actually getting significant support for that position from labor unions because she had supported legislation to make it easier for workers to unionize.
Speaker 1: Which and we know that Trump's not super pro union necessarily, but he's pro worker, so maybe that, yeah, maybe that could be a good choice. Is there are there any new controversial picks?
Speaker 2: You know, for there's a couple of big health announcements. He picked former Florida Congressman Dave Weldon to lead the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC. Weldon had been has been skeptical of vaccine research and obviously that's an important part of what the CDC's portfolio is. To lead the FDA, he had picked doctor Marty mcarey, a surgeon and somebody who is a regular on Fox News, clearly where Trump first saw him, and McCarey had argued against pandemic lockdowns back during the COVID pandemic.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Notable too, I think that, and you know it's been written about, is that this is not a very racially diverse group. Of the dozens of nominees and appointees that have been named so far, only one is black, and that's the president Alex pick to lead the Department of Housing in Urban Development, Scott Turner. He's a former NFL player and now a conservative commentator.
Speaker 1: And how many women did he nominate? I mean I don't know the number of out my head half, but it's a there's several.
Speaker 2: I'd have to count it for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Karen Travis, thank you so much. Appreciate the information. As always, Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Health officials in California warning the public to avoid a specific raw milk product out of Fresno County because the bird flu virus has been found in a sample. The Department of Public Health says the raw milk is from the raw Farm company. It's recalled the affected milk, which has a best by date of eleven twenty seven, twenty twenty four. No illnesses have been reported, but the department has told store owners to take the milk off the shelves. Raw milk products are not pasteurized, which is that heating process that kills bacteria and viruses like bird flu. A major producer of organic carrots in California is hoping to reassure consumers about the safety of their product after they were linked to an E. Coli outbreak. ABC's Melissa Aiden says grim Way Farms, a supployer to Trader Joe's, Wegmans and Kroger a voluntary recall of its carrots.
Speaker 9: The company's president and CEO speaking directly to shoppers, saying consumers should feel confident that the carrots available for purchase on store shelves today are safe.
Speaker 1: One person died and thirty nine others in more than a dozen states have gotten sick from eating the carrots. Two people in a car that's rammed through the gate of Orange County Fire Authority headquarters in Irvine have been arrested on suspicion of dui. Police say the two ran after the crash late Saturday, but they were found a short time later and arrested. The crash only damaged the gate and some landscaping. A DHL cargo plane has crashed in Lithuania's capital and skidded into a nearby house, killing a Spanish crew member. The cause of the crash early this morning is being investigated. Flight tracking data analyzed by the Associated Press showed the plane made a turn to the north of the airport, lined up for landing, then crashed less than a mile short of the runway. A recent survey on career readiness found that eighty one percent of workplace managers say new college graduates are not ready for the workplace. KFI Scott Carr says a survey of a thousand managers show many new grads need training on professional protocols.
Speaker 10: The issues they cite include not taking constructive criticism well, adhering to dress codes, the use of cell phones on the job, and speaking about controversial topics in the workplace.
Speaker 1: Some other issues were time management and a lack of professional communication skills. So the holidays are here at the Disneyland Resort and KFI wants to give you the chance to enjoy the wonder, joy and magic of the season. You know about my ban on holidays until the last holiday is done. I also make an exception for Disneyland. You can experience the World of Color Season of Light. It's a nighttime spectacular at Disney California Adventure Park or over at the Disneyland Park, rediscover holiday classics, a Christmas Fantasy parade, and so much more. Keep listening to kafive for your chance to win a four pack of one day, one park tickets to Disneyland Park or Disney California Adventure Park. We're gonna be giving those tickets away this week, so keep your phones and your radios close. The father of a woman from Hawaii who's been missing since she didn't show up for her connecting flight at lax has died. Ryan Kobayashi apparently jumped from a parking structure near lax early yesterday morning. Hannah Kobayashi had a stopover at Laxo November eighth on her way to New York. She was last seen in downtown La November eleventh. Hesblah has fired about two hundred and fifty rockets and other projectiles into Israel. It's one of the heaviest barrages in months. At least seven people in northern and central Israel will hurt the attack in response to Israel's attack in central Bay Root. Over the weekend, We're going to get the latest on the attacks and whether that's gonna mess with the ceasefire talks with Jordana Miller in just a second. The Glicked weekend has been huge. Wicked and Gladiator two have earned a combined two hundred and seventy three million dollars at the box office globally. Wicked took in one hundred and seventeen million in the US alone. Gladiator took in a Gladiator two took in over fifty five million, and this coming weekend expected to be a big one too, because Mwana two debuts on Wednesday. Let's say good morning now to ABC's Giordana Miller in Jerusalem. So, Geordana Hesbela was very active and destructive over the weekend.
Speaker 11: What happened, that's right, and Hesballa fired by midnight the number was closer to three hundred on drones and missiles, and by the way, three waves of attacks just on Tel Aviv and central Israel, which was a lot. Usually the fire they haven't fired that intensively on Tel Aviv and in many months. It was clearly a response to what happened over the weekend. Israel carried out very intense strikes, not only in southern Route in the Hasbalas stronghold of Dahia, but also in central Beyroute is going after one of the few Hamas leaders that are still alive, and they missed him, but they brought down the building and killed dozens of others, and so there was a lot of anger over those strikes. Plus there's still intense air strikes.
Speaker 12: And up in southern.
Speaker 11: Ground forces. So it was a bloody weekend. But I have to say it's all happening. It could actually all be connected to this East fire talks. That is, before the sides agree to stop, there's often a kind of ramping up of the attacks as each side tries to pressure the other at the table. We're still strong, we still have capabilities. If you don't sign, look what we're doing. And to tell their domestic audiences, we're signing, you know, from a position of strength. And it's also an opportunity for both sides opportunity hit their targets hard before they have to stop fighting. And there has been progress towards the ceasefire. I think we're still you know, a couple of weeks away, but the intensifying attacks could be part of.
Speaker 1: That, okay, And what all is involved with the seaspire aside from just stopping the attacks on each other? Do we know where is that it?
Speaker 11: We are beginning to learn some of the details of this agreement. For example, what has been agreed on is that Hasbola, the Iranian backed militia, will move over twenty miles off of Israel's northern border, behind what's called or above north of what's called the Latani River. That's where they were supposed to be and stay after the last war between Israel and Husbala in two thousand and six. We're also learning that the Israelis are not going to hold any security They're going to completely withdraw their troops in this seafire, though it may take thirty to sixty days for that to happen, but there's no plan to hold any Lebanese soil.
Speaker 1: Number back in, Yeah, you would cut out just a second. So you're saying that part of the seasire deal is that Israel would pull its troops out of Lebanon where out of Okay.
Speaker 11: That's right. They will not hold any kind of security buffer. They will not stay on Lebanese soil.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 11: What is still in dispute is how to verify and implement the deal. Who's going to be in charge of making sure Hsbala doesn't violate the deal? Right? The UN and the Lebanese Army and the government didn't do such a great job over the last twenty years.
Speaker 6: The new.
Speaker 11: Part of verifying this deal with some AIRB partners and even Europeans like the French. So those details are still being worked out, but there has been progress. I think we're weeks away from a seafire.
Speaker 1: Okay, And unlike what's going on between Israel and Hamas, where both sides seem to have really just dug in their heels on this is we're seeing more of a willingness to come to a ceasfire.
Speaker 11: Absolutely. I think both Lebanon, has Balah Iran, you know, they're interested in the seafire because they realize that the next level of targets are not just going to be has Balla targets. They may be they may be civilian. The infrastructure targets right hitting Lebanese you know, let's say power grids or energy reserves, something that will force the Lebanese to really get Hasbala to stop its fire. So there is and Iran. You know, Iran has taken its threats of striking Israel off the table. They're waiting until President Trump gets into office, That's what it looks like. So they're also interested in nscu's fire. And Israel. You know, Israel doesn't you know, Israel can't you know, fight a two front war, you know, for another full year. Right, Israel also needs to pull their troops out they've been fighting intensely for a year. It's taken a toll on the economy, and it has obviously a lot of diplomatic hitfall and the fighting, which I think is a good sign. And maybe it'll lead to a breakthrough on the Gaza front as well.
Speaker 1: That would be tremendous, And who knows, maybe in time for Christmas, ABC's Jerdona Millisonica or for Hanukah more yes, more appropriately for Hankah there. Thank you so much for the information. As always, we'll talk to you again.
Speaker 12: Soon, Talk soon.
Speaker 3: YEP.
Speaker 1: Firefighters are battling a fire in a vacant two story commercial building. Flames have been shooting through the roof on South Flower Street, downtown, LA. Fires Margaret Stewart says Cruise are on scene and actively fighting it. Travel experts say the best time to drive over the Thanksgiving holiday will be on Thanksgiving Day itself. Adrian Woodland with Triple A says people flying should check in early online, monitor flight status, and get to the airport at least two to three hours before your flight.
Speaker 7: And it's going to be very busy out there, Busy airports, busy roadway.
Speaker 1: So if you are planning to travel, definitely Prepare Triple A says nearly seven million people from California are expected to hit the road to visit family this holiday. It might not just be mother Nature that could put a damper on holiday travel. The FAA says air traffic could be slowed during peak travel times because of staffing issues. The area that could be most affected is the Northeast, especially in New York, because of a shortage of air traffic controllers in that area. Tuesday tomorrow, expected to be the busiest travel day, with almost three million travelers going through TSA security checkpoints. Weather Services Southern California could get some rain early this week, but it's not gonna be a lot. The agency says most of the rain will probably come tomorrow. Meteorologist Casey Oswant says any rain we get will likely be less than half an inch.
Speaker 12: It does look like we're going to see additional chances of rain for maybe part of Monday and then continuing into Tuesday and Wednesday.
Speaker 1: She says there's about a twenty percent chance of showers this afternoon in La County, but we should be dry for Thanksgiving. Okay. There are commercials that come out every holiday season and they try to kind of tug at your heart strings. And this one got me and so I'm just gonna play it for you. Whoops, I'm not gonna play that for you. I'm gonna play this for you. So they show us a theater in New York City.
Speaker 5: But the world's no slow sweet glove steel that is to us.
Speaker 7: To the law.
Speaker 1: So that's the janitor and he's going around and he's cleaning the theater. So it's obviously late at night and it's very quiet, and then some of the staff gets together and they're they're like going, Oh, there's the guy, and isn't he sweet? And unlook he sings as he does his work, and so then you see one of the people look online and they find like a jacket, like a dinner jacket or a and they're like, oh, let's get that for him. So they order it and then they put the lights together and they put him up on stage and here he goes.
Speaker 7: He's slow, sweet, fast, all.
Speaker 1: That so sweet, and then you see the Amazon smile. Yeah it's an Amazon commercial, which I felt like, oh jeez, but it was. I guess it's sort of like there have been a couple like Budweiser commercials that are just so beautiful. They don't say anything, they just they're just visually beautiful, and they sound wonderful, wonderful, And I think that's that song is so powerful and it was really just a sweet commercial. Is it gonna make me order from Amazon? I did over the weekend, so maybe it worked. A judge in New York has decided he's not quite ready to decide whether to grant bail to rap mogul Sean Combs. In a hearing Friday, the judge overseeing the sex racketeer in case said he would take the Thanksgiving holiday to make his decision. Combs has pleaded not guilty to all charges, and one of his defense attorneys said if released, Combs would stay inside his apartment in Manhattan. Part of the southbound one on one is going to be closed again overnight in Studio City as Coltrans completes what it says are urgently needed pavement repairs. The project is closed lanes on the one to one transition of the one seventy connector overnight Saturday night and again last night. It'll be closed again tonight from ten pm to five am. A giant emerald worth a billion dollars is being sent back to its home company country. The eight hundred eight hundred thirty six pound gem was found in a Brazilian mine back in two thousand and one and somehow later got smuggled to the US. Several groups have been trying to claim ownership, but a federal judge ruled that the one hundred eighty thousand carrot Emerald must be given back to the country of Brazil. At six oh five its handle on the news. We're bracing for battles in the Senate now that Trump has made his cabinet picks at five point fifty. Thanksgiving is a time of food and family, fun and ruffled feathers. We're going to be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan about how to keep the peace at the Thanksgiving table. Right now. This is Good Morning too. The chief marketing officer for Constant Contact, Sarah Jordan. Good morning, Sarah, Good morning Sarah. Before we jump in and talk about the small businesses, can you tell us what Constant Contact is and what you guys do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Constant Contact provide digital marketing solutions for small businesses. We service over four hundred thousand across the globe with things like email marketing and SMS, texting, social media, and lots more capabilities to help small businesses deliver their message to their customers good.
Speaker 1: Direct to the customer because they don't they often don't have the big budgets of the big box stores. So tell us, Sarah Barah with Small Business Saturday coming up on Saturday, this Saturday, this Saturday after Thanksgiving, how is it looking for small businesses this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the holiday time can be a really stressful one as certainly as it is for a lot of consumers, but definitely for small businesses. Most of them get, especially in retail and e commerce field, get around a quarter of their revenue during the holiday season. So leading up to it, there's always a little bit of trepidation. And I would say this year, you know, with the long tail inflation effects coming out of the economy, but also a lot of really positive spending signs coming out in the media, there was a little bit of cautious optimism going into the holiday season that there would be you know, similar, if not increased spend levels from consumers this year at their businesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now you mentioned inflation, and you know it's affected all of us. We know that even though the rate of inflation is backed down to more normal levels, the damage has pretty much been done and almost everything costs like twenty percent more. Is that the same for small businesses and are they forced them to kind of push that along or are they cutting their profit margins to stay competitive?
Speaker 3: A bit of a mix, you know, Definitely small businesses have felt the impact just like consumers and certainly with their suppliers, but they usually are pretty hesitant to raise prices. So I would say the data that we showed so showed a bit of a mix that some have and may even plan to again, while others really want to hold out and see if things can return to more normalcy. But you know, all the more reason why this holiday season is really important to them and hopefully makes up some of the you know, the revenue this year. And also important to note that one of the major data points that came out of the survey is just how committed holiday shoppers are to shopping small.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you mentioned that you not only talked to businesses, but you talk to people who are going to be doing the shopping. What's what's their vibe that you got from your survey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were really impressed with the results. I mean, certainly we know some of this changed in trend post COVID that communities and consumers really realized how important small businesses are to their communities. You know, we know of every dollar spent sixty seven cents days within that community, and there was sort of this renewed focus on maintaining maintaining consumership and shopping small. We saw that eight out of ten consumers still plan to visit and shop with small businesses this season and for most you know, this really doesn't change throughout the year, that they are very committed to shopping small. So great data coming out of the study. Really a lot of optimistic data points for small businesses, and certainly with their continued resiliency, you know, coming out of the pandemic and continuing to you know, see growth outside of that in these past couple of years, you know, we have a lot of hope and optimism for this next holiday season.
Speaker 1: Well that's good news now, Sarah. One of my favorite things to do during the holidays is to head to like some of the smaller towns around southern California and go into their you know, their little downtowns and shop for Christmas presents and stuff and hit the mom and pop shops, but it seems like they're harder to find and more of my favorite shops have kind of closed down. Are you seeing that trend or are we seeing a resurgence or or or is it just sort of holding steady now?
Speaker 3: I would say now, probably holding steady. We certainly saw post COVID, you know a lot of those local retailers shut down and frankly large retailers shutting down on the you know, physical locations. But we've definitely seen some some growth and reopenings there. And you know, one tip for small businesses as well that that holiday shopping, uh, you know, the season is really really important to stay in front of consumers, but it's really important to stay in front of them year round. So whether you're a business that has a physical presence, you know in some of those little holiday shopping markets, or whether you're you're e commerce and rely on a lot of digital business that using tools like email marketing and SMS and really using those to stay in front of your audience all throughout the year will be helpful to make it so that there's really less pressure on that holiday season yep.
Speaker 1: And of course this Saturday is small business Saturday, so support the moms and pops they need. Just Sarah Jordan, thank you so much. Appreciate your time and information this morning.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, take care. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One man has been killed another hurt in his shooting near a homeless camp in Long Beach. The shooting was reported just before two am yesterday. The two men were found with gunshot injuries. One died at the scene. Police say the reason for the shooting was not known. Democratic Congressman and soon to be US Senator Adam Schiff says the criminal cases against President elect Trump should not be dismissed.
Speaker 10: A jury of Donald Trump's peers found him guilty.
Speaker 1: He's no less guilty because he won an election. Shift told NBC's Meet the Press the cases should be put on hold until Trump gets out of office, because he says being president is not a get out of jail free card. Russian President Vladimir Putin has signed a law granting debt forgiveness to new army recruits who enlist to fight in Ukraine. The measure final version appeared on a government website Saturday, underscores Russia's needs for military personnel in the nearly three year old war. The unsays three hundred countries have agreed to a new three hundred billion dollar plan to flight climate change. There have been weeks of at times heated discussions at the COP twenty nine summit in Azerbaijan, and on Saturday a deal was finally reached. Wealthy countries, including the US and European nations, have agreed to the annual Funding Pledge, with the goal of reaching at least one point three trillion dollars by the year twenty thirty five. The effort aimed at helping developing countries cope with the effects of the climate crisis. President Biden is about to host a couple of turkeys at the White House. The national Thanksgiving turkeyser set to get pardons this morning. Peach and blossom were hatched in July and now weigh about forty pounds. Later today, the official White House Christmas Tree will be presented to first later Doctor Jill Biden, alongside military connected families. Always fun to watch that hey. The fourteenth Annual KFI Postathon is here. Chef Bruno's charity, Katerina's Club, provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in Southern California who need it most. Your generosity makes it happen. We'd love to have you join us a week from tomorrow on Giving Tuesday for kfi's all Day live broadcast from the Anaheim White House. Come on out and see us from five am to ten pm. All the shows are going to be there. You can make a donation on site. You can drop off your pasta and sauce donations, and here are other ways to help too. You can donate now at KFIAM six forty dot com slash postathon Again. It's KFI AM six forty slash Postathon. You can shop at any Smart and Final store and donate any amount at checkout, or you can go into Wendy's in Southern California. All of them are participating. Donate five dollars and more and you get a coupon book for Wendy's goodies. Again. It's all to help feed kids in Southern California and we couldn't do it without you, so we're excited the fourteenth annual KFI Postathon is upon us and one hundred percent of your donation goes to Katerina's Club. Forecasters have warned of another round of winter weather, saying it could complicate travel leading up to Thanksgiving. California is bracing for more snow and rain, while still dealing with some flooding and small landslides from the last storm. The National Weather Services issued a winter storm warning for the Sierra Nevada through tomorrow, with heavy snow expected at higher elevations. Two people have survived a plunge into the harbor and Marina del Rey, La County Fire says the car went off the roadway and into the water last night around six Both people in the vehicle were able to get themselves out and were taken to the hospital. Movie Go We'll be Going from Oz to the Ocean as Mwana Too hits theaters on Wednesday. The sequel to twenty sixteen's Mowana is expected to make a big splash the box office. Moviegoers flew into theaters to see Wicket and it's opening weekend, it took in an estimated one hundred and seventeen million dollars. We're just minutes away from handling the news this morning, the NBA is telling players to get a guard dog and update their security systems. Bill's going to tell you why. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's at Jim Ryan. So, Jim, Thanksgiving has always been a little bit sticky as you deal with the stress that families can present in this year, coming on the heels of a close election and a lot of polarized opinions. How's that affecting people as we approach the hullet?
Speaker 4: Freaking them out?
Speaker 1: To put it simply, Yeah, hosts.
Speaker 4: And hosts are you know, they're worried about this, about having a big family gathering because the more people you have, the greater the chances that those folks, at least some of them are going to have varying political views. And here we are just three weeks after the election, and some of those wounds and some of that gloating might still be quite fresh on people's minds. And so yeah, it's kind of adding a bit of stress to what's already a stressful situation.
Speaker 1: Abe was the situation the same four years ago?
Speaker 4: Don't know, I haven't seen surveys seen, you know, polling related to that, but I can tell you this year is it is extreme. The surveyed une by Spruce has two thousand people around the country what they felt about the coming Thanksgiving and the possibility for conflict among family members or guests at Thanksgiving, And yeah, it's kind of a real thing. About a quarter of people are considering scrapping it all together and just staying home and not doing Thanksgiving because of what the conversations might sound like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do you have any recommendations on how families and friends can make sure that it is a happy.
Speaker 4: Thanksgiving throughout these stats and not tell you maybe how to deal with it. There's a psychiatry professor and this makes a lot of sense at Columbia University who has an acronym CALM C A l M. Okay, see is for communicate curiously. That is, don't just talk at people, but talk with them and hear what they have to say. And you know, I have a conversation that involves sharing information just instead of just spouting your views. The second actively listen. Okay, then limit setting. At some point you say we're done talking about politics. Let's talk about you know, the Dodgers, or let's talk about something else altogether, and then finally am maintain the big picture. That is, maybe you can't stand where your brother in law is politically, you just can't stand what he says what he thinks about politics, but that's still your brother in law. You probably have a longtime relationship and things that go well beyond politics, So focus on those things. The big picture.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that that's a very nice thing to aspire to. I mean, that's a lot of communicating, and I think one of the problems with a lot of families, including mine, is we're not we don't communicate that great together. I mean, we love each other and we have a good time together, but like saying, hey, you guys, let's sit down and make sure that we don't get into a big political fight this this holiday season. And that's a tough conversation to have.
Speaker 4: Well, it could be, but you could also deal with it, maybe in a humorous way. If I were hosting Thanksgiving it a big house or something and expecting a lot of people, I think I'd put a sign outside that says it went a box that says leave your Kamala Harris T shirts and your Mega caps in this box. We're not going to talk about it here. Second thing, maybe you'd limit the alcohol a bit, because people who get drunk or drink, they tend to run their mouths, right They their mouths get them into trouble and with a lot of regrets at the end of Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's always sort of been like the status quo, don't talk about religion and don't talk about politics. Are money or money? I mean, I grew up with those things, like knowing those My parents I think probably drilled that into our brains. Never talk about those things. And we've never had big fights at the Thanksgiving the table, but we probably already know what the hot topics are, so we just sort of steer clear of it.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a good idea, and you're right, And I mean, if you've set some guidelines on your own, whether you have the sign in the box outside or you're just that's kind of how you feel and how you hope your guests feel. And yeah, it's a it's a great idea. Money, politics, religion. Just leave them back at the house.
Speaker 1: And if things do get heated, how do we diffuse it?
Speaker 4: You just ask everybody to leave for it, get out, take your pumpkin pie and scram we're done.
Speaker 1: I would totally take the pumpkin pie with me. All right, Well, good luck with Thanksgiving. I think, I think hopefully cooler heads will prevail if we all just take a deep breath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, speaking of holding your breath, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, well, we'll check in after the holidays and you can get some intel and recon about all the fights that went on.
Speaker 4: But do have a turkey knife in my neck? Cursonably Oh all.
Speaker 1: Right, let's be safe out there too.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Please, all right, ABC's Jim Ryan, thank you so much. So yah, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The FAA says staffing shortages could cause some delays in your holiday travel.
Speaker 10: The area that could be most impacted is the Northeast, especially New York, because of a shortage of air traffic controllers.
Speaker 1: KFIS Chris Graggio says tomorrow is expected to be the busiest air travel day of the week. A man has been arrested in connection with a fatal hit and run crash in South la where a sixteen year old on a bicycle was killed. The crash happened Friday afternoon on South figaroa street near BMO Stadium. Investigators see the driver had gotten into an argument with a large group of people on bicycles and followed them into a parking lot. They say the teen was hit by a different car, possibly on purpose. The Israeli ambassador to Washington says a ceasefire deal to end fighting between Israel and hezbola In could be reached within days, even as the fighting escalated over the weekend. ABC's Lama Hassan says has Belah fired its largest barrage of rockets over the weekend, according.
Speaker 9: To the IDF, around two hundred and fifty projectiles slamming into areas in northern and central Israel.
Speaker 1: At least six Israelis were injured. She says the attacks were retaliation for an inn Israeli military strike on Saturday that hit a residential building in Beirut. Israeli Ambassador Mike Herzog told Israeli Army Radio there are still points to finalize for a ceasefire and that any deal requires agreement from the government. Democratic Senate Judiciary member Amy Klobisher says she has concerns about all of President Elect Trump's cabinet nominees. She says she is troubled the Trump transition team has not yet agreed to FBI background checks of Trump's picks.
Speaker 8: We require these background checks of line DEA agents, drug and AN agents. We required of first time prosecutors for the federal government.
Speaker 1: She backs background checks or she says that background checks are a must for the most important jobs in the US government. The author known for A Woman of Substance has died. Barbara Taylor Bradford first gained popularity in the nineteen forties and wrote more than a dozen other novels that sold more than eighty million copies around the world. A Woman of Substance was published in nineteen seventy nine. Bradford was one of the world's wealthiest writers, and her image appeared on a postage stamp in nineteen ninety nine. In two thousand and seven, she was recognized by Queen Elizabeth I. Barbara Taylor Bradford was ninety one, and scientists in Europe say they found out why people lose weight and then often gain it right back. Researchers at ETCH Zurich call it the yo yo effect. We've all heard that before. They say being overweight leaves a lasting imprint on our fat cells through chemical markers called epigenics. Researchers say the fat cells remember how big they were when a person was overweight, and then apparently try to get right back there. Isn't that great your fat cells? Remember. This is KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County, Southland. Weather from KFI, mostly cloudy at slight chance of showers this afternoon and evening. Highs will be in the sixties at the beaches Metro La Inland O c and the Valley's upper sixties to low seventies for the Inland Empire, fifties in the Antelope Valley. Overnight lows in the forties and fifties, and rain is likely tomorrow with highs in the fifties and sixties. A fifty percent chance of rain again on Wednesday, then we should just be mostly cloudy with highs in the sixties to low seventies. For Thanksgiving Day. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any of wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to Wake Up Call with me Amy King. You can always hear Wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KIAM six forty and any time on demand on the iHeartRadio app