Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to side Quest. This is our weekly video game show here at geek Versus. It is our Double oh seven first light review. Very exciting time, of course, and I'm your hostel. Mustn't have with me the license to pod Travis Snow, how are you doing tonight, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. This is we don't get many first in the geek fir sphere, and I could be wrong. We're turning eleven in August, but I think this is definitely when we reviewed. But I don't think there's been any Bond games out in our hemisphere in the geek first spring, right. I know they did a Golden Night like remaster, but like a new Bond game.
Speaker 1: I don't think so Golden I remaster like.
Speaker 2: Early on, but it's like it's like I'm just like, oh, it looks a bit nicer, Like that's all was played on. They replaced pierced come out.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I could even be wrong. I'll fact checked after, but they even replaced Pierce Bronson with Daniel Craig. They did a full one over, and I think it came out on like games Pass.
Speaker 3: And stuff like Golden as a movie. Why would they do because the game.
Speaker 2: They just want that. But so, yeah, there's not many times dow in a decade we get to do something for a first time, and for the first time we're talking about a Bond game in depth. So I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: So and this is the first ever nickname for kirkln Pats about the museum door inspector. How are you doing tonight? I'm doing very well.
Speaker 3: I feel underdressed looking at Travis's pocket square there, but you know double Owai dress, they dress all different outfits. This Patty Gibson is no different, So.
Speaker 2: I was wrong. Twenty ten is when that Daniel Craig Goldenye game came out. They came out for the Wii. They remastered it there and then they've remastered the other one. But yeah, so it's a first for us.
Speaker 1: So long ago. Yeah, very exciting. Yeah, this episode is going to be all about double oh seven first light and then you know, we're already kind of into the big excite season of all sorts of showcases and such state of play is happening tomorrow or at the time that you're listening to this traps you'll be doing a live watch along reaction And then yeah, on that up in the.
Speaker 2: Area because I'll be alone because these guys are working. Tanna come to a sony thing. If you're a patron, if you're free, it's like a half nine. You can come join me for live watch along. I'm gonna drop a link on patroon. Just get in there, because if not, I'll do it alone. I'll hold it down. But always more the merrier. And if I'm alone already, h if you're free, come join. But yeah, and then if it's something juicy, uh, Dylan and I will cover after. But I just happened to be off. I had some free time and some time off. I'm like, okay, I'm gonna watch this and live reacts. I'm excited to hopefully be excited so nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah that that should be fun. And if and if you can't do that, you know, at least in the discord is where we all hang out usually talking about these things. I don't know if I will because I'll be in the office so I probably can't, but yeah, check that out. And then if it is a juicy state of play, we will do a emergency side quest tomorrow night cover that. Put that up on the feeds as quick as possible this weekend is summer game happening on a Friday. I don't know when we'll cover that, honestly, just with my schedule and stuff. We'll see what's happening. Maybe there's a watch along, maybe not. Maybe we'll cover it Friday night, maybe not. We'll just kind of see how it goes. Xboxes on Sunday. We'll cover that with the regular side quest Tuesday, so we'll see what happens. But just you know what you gotta do. You gotta subscribe, stay tuned in the feeds because that's the best way to see that as soon as it drops, or follow the social media's to get those things as soon as they go up. But yeah, today's episode all about Double seven first Light, and yeah, I guess I think we'll do this kind of in our movie format type thing where we'll do like a little non spoilery section because I think there's a lot of people, especially with how expensive games are these days, who just want to hear some high level thoughts, you know, get a recommendation is this game worth the price of admission, and then we can delve into some juicier things. I've beat the game, I don't think these guys have, so we're not gonna do a full spoilers, but we'll do a spoiler unless Travis went nut nuts mode today with that little look he's given me here, we'll see. We'll find out in a bit. I guess what's uh, let's see, I suppose for setting this up, I kind of want to know from you guys. Well, I'll go over Kirkham first. So what is your I guess fandom level of like James Bond generally speaking, and then also your fandom level with like IOI as a developer, uh, top level thought kind of thing. And then into the game. How do you what do you think about the games so far?
Speaker 3: Great question, Dylan, thanks for having me a longtime listener, multiple time, multiple time caller.
Speaker 1: I guess I can call myself.
Speaker 3: But yeah, for James Bond, I don't really remember when it started, like definitely really really young, like like I remember just being a kid being interested in action movies.
Speaker 1: Mission I possible probably that.
Speaker 3: Same type of like like when I saw movies like that, I was just vibing with them.
Speaker 1: Agent Cody Banks, you.
Speaker 3: Know, lesser, lesser extent, but still like the kids version of a of a secret agent. I just loved the secret agent type of archetypes by kids of courses in there, if there's gadgets and whatnot, I'm totally vibing with it. And I didn't play GoldenEye or anything, so it definitely would have been through the movies was my first exposure. The earliest one I do remember seeing is the Pierce Brosnen one. I remember at a young age just knowing about Sean Connery and like knowing that he was James Bond, and I just remember being so weird that there was like multiple James Bond actors, I guess, like versions of the character, not really thinking about like how much time James Bond has just kind of been around, and like multiple decades this character has lived on. Obviously new actors portray that role. So yeah, Pierce Brosen was my first exposure, and like because my first was the Pierce Brosen version, I think my first Double seven game I played would have been night Fire, and I absolutely love that game.
Speaker 1: I got on the GameCube.
Speaker 3: I think I remember like playing it at friends as before I actually acquired it myself. So I just played a lot of that game, doing the versus mode and whatnot another title I do remember playing a lot I never owned it, but A Friend's Houses from Russia with love Man just just a great third person Double O seven game. Really different type of like gameplay obviously than what Knightfire was because that was all first player. I don't think I ever played the story. I just remember playing split screen with my friends and just playing is like, that's what was so fun about playing these Mission Possible games back in the day or sorry, Double seven, I'm mixing them already, but just getting like access to the villains, because like there's some really interesting like super villains roster throughout the James Bond mythos, like whether.
Speaker 1: It's Jaws, odd Job.
Speaker 3: Like, there's just some freak shows in there. And the video games usually always had those at least like the split split screen couch co op type well not couch co op couch versus, I guess, just split screen PvP action there. But yeah, this game doesn't really have that at all, so it's an interesting little comparison there. But yeah, that so early on, I was definitely exposed to Double O seven, and I think because of that and as well as just watching Mission Possibles whatever, like I've just always loved the spy archetype character and and big action you know, uh, fan of just action movies and whatnot. So yeah that, uh, I don't think that'll ever go away. I always have a soft spot for action movies. And I'm still there for Mission Possibles even though those have gotten so bad. And then the last couple of movies, I'm still just there for the action and then the gadgetry and the whatever. I'm very intrigued on what they do going forward for the films of James Bond. Yeah, and then getting to your other question of of IOI, I would have to I feel like there is some like niche offshoot games that like our IOI that I don't really think about our IOI that I have played in the past, but the big one would have been, of course, like the more recent Hitman. I think that's their last title before this, right, Like, I know, that's been a game that's been supported throughout the year, so it's kind of had the leg more than just a regular game.
Speaker 1: I don't think they've really done much other than hip Man.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, all they got one like a various there's one gem in there.
Speaker 1: I love yeah, what is it.
Speaker 2: I'll go when I go to my turn.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, he's not gonna give you this guy.
Speaker 2: And clear I Haden Lynch.
Speaker 1: Actually I played Canaan Lynch back in the day.
Speaker 2: If that's you said the newer ones, I feel like I'm not knowing Kirkland Pats and I feel like you were more player of the older.
Speaker 3: Ones versus the Okay, so it is IOI that's done all the hit Man's all of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: So my first exposure would have been hit Man code named forty seven. According to this it came out in two thousand, which totally makes sense. I had that on the family computer. That was a game that like my dad played, and I like I could watch him play if my mom like went to bed or something. You know, it's like, okay, don't tell your mom that that I'm letting you watch me play this game. But yeah, like I just I guess that kind of is a spark to my interest in like stealth games also because not just IOI hit Man games, but again like going to like the spy genre, like espionage and just sneaking around, like that's always a thing in those types of movies.
Speaker 1: And obviously I relived the stell genre. So yeah, cod named forty seven Blood Money.
Speaker 3: For sure, I played hit Man two Silent Assassin. I remember playing like later on, like like years later, when I was like kinda, oh, I can just acquire these games on Steam. I think I got like the bundle and then played a little bit Hitman two. I think I did a little bit of Hitman Contracts. Also, that's more of just like playing level to level. But yeah, not too familiar with that one. So yeah, Caanan Lynch Deadman. I remember playing that game for sure, and then yeah, there's just just those handful of Hitman titles there, and then of course the newest hit Man and then now h double O seven First Light and yeah, should I lead into my just overalls or yeah, go ahead, yeah, okay, so yeah, I mean Hitman like the most recent one, it being like the closest title I think to this newest one. I was kind of using that as a reference, like, Okay, I'm assuming the gameplay will be mostly like that, and like, I feel like the skeleton is there, but overall, like the feel of it is so much different than Hitman than what I was expecting. It's a lot more fast paced. I think the game overall is a lot more arcadie too than.
Speaker 1: I was kind of expecting to it to be.
Speaker 3: And early on I was a little bit like, I don't want to say deterred, but just like, oh, okay, this is a lot different than kind of what I was expecting it to be. I think, like a good comparison is like the Uncharted titles like it. It reminds me a lot of that actually, just just the action. It's a lot more refined and more satisfying to play, but just how you kind of go, like whether you're you're shooting guys or you're going into melee combat, you can like kind of do some somewhat parkour like traversing the environments like during unfires, like all that stuff really reminds me of Uncharted. Obviously, it's like a more modern version and it feels a lot nicer than what the Uncharted combat was. But yeah, I don't know, like like hit Man, to me, it's a lot slower obviously, it's more of just like finding your targets and like not really going guns of blazing full action hero, which you're really able to do in this game. Uh, And earlier on like I was like, oh, okay, this is a bit of a surprise, but honestly, I totally prefer that. I think for a double oh seven James Bond title. Those movies have so much action in them, and they like, this is a really good, h just version of that, And yeah, I think there's a lot of things in here that it's like, Okay, this is a little like swallow my disbelief.
Speaker 1: With how ridiculous some of these sequences go.
Speaker 3: Of course, our characters just as the thickest plot armor, even more so than like the movies.
Speaker 1: It seems like the movies.
Speaker 3: It's like, Okay, they're actually like trying to make this seem somewhat realistic, even though he is double O seven, like he's gonna make it supposedly at the end of every story. This is like the video game version of that, so it's just so much more extreme. But yeah, really really loving the combat. It's super fun. I have a funny story on like just my earlier adventures getting into the like the early levels of this game, specifically with the taxim stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you guys went in there.
Speaker 3: We can talk about that when we get there, but Yeah, So the gameplay, I'm really really satisfied.
Speaker 1: I find it just really fun.
Speaker 3: I think the melee combat I got like pretty good with it, so I could just like really pop off on everyone. But it feels like it's missing something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like it could be a little bit more in depth specifically with just like I don't know, like like it's the very classic like you can pay these enemies or you can dodge these enemies, like like it's very similar type of gameplay that I've seen in the past, and it just kind of got old, I think for myself, like pretty early on. However, it helped that like in the game play, you can really balance what you want to do. You can use gadgets, you can use guns, you know, if you get the license to kill a thing kind of going, or you can use melee, or you can sneak. So like I think it all together was a lot better for me. So the overall gameplay I am really enjoying. And yeah, the story, it's nothing like groundbreaking, but I think it's good enough. I think it's definitely again similar to how I experienced those Uncharted games, Like I I remember the stories not being like anything that was boy in my mind, but like it was just fun to be going level to level and this game definitely has that really beautiful looking game. I really do like Patrick Gibson as the video game bond, Like like it's it's very different than if, Like, Okay, do you want this guy to be your on screen bond? No I don't, but like honestly, just following this guy, like doing the like spy school and just him like going through all of that. I think it's a really good fit for a video game because you just feel like a young Double seven that like fish.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't know fish. I don't know why I said fish out of water.
Speaker 3: I feel like i'sot the right terminology for that, but just just a new fish in a in a big ocean, I guess, for uh, entering this world of spy isms. And yeah, I like the roster of characters too. No one like no major like Oscar winning performances by any means. But I think like overall, across the line, it's pretty uh, it's pretty pretty good solid. So yeah, overall I'm really positive on it. I'm on chapter seven, like I got to chapter seven today, Nightfall. I guess I won't say where that is for possible spoilers for people that don't.
Speaker 1: Want to hear that. But yeah, I heard how many chapters there are, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: I I am enjoying myself, so I do wish the game would just keep going and going. But uh, I think with how many hours I have in right now, I think I'm around six hours like in game, and I've been enjoying my time. So yeah, overall, definitely positive on it. If I had to give like a number rating like on on where I'm at right well, maybe I'll say.
Speaker 1: That till the end.
Speaker 3: Actually, when we discussed a little bit more, maybe i'll I'll leave a little bit of a intrigue there. Oh, last thing I'll say. Lenny Kravitz, Man, fuck, he slaps in this again.
Speaker 2: You said no oscar winning performances. There's one right there?
Speaker 1: You got me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, he reads you have like a guitar hero character, and especially his like intro scene, it just seemed like a guitar hero like cinematic. The way that his hair is like moving around and his voice is just it's like iconic to me. So it just sounds very like I don't know, Lenny Kravitz.
Speaker 1: I was expecting to just go want to get away.
Speaker 2: Like I actually got to say a concert. He's gonna do the Bond song next one.
Speaker 1: So that'd be sweet. Yeah, all right, Travis. Yeah, brief history Voy, brief history Bond, and then your thoughts on the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the easiest way to put Bond is I said, it's a couple of casts ago and I probably forgot one, and I'd say not a spy. Specifically, James Bond as a kid, want to be a pirate, want to be a cowboy, want to be a gangster, mobster. James Bond was in that wish fulfillment of cool gadgets, knows the right thing to say, wear in the suits always gets not just the girl. The girls like everything you do, gadgets of the ying yang, money, cool cars, everything right. And I didn't care about cars. With the Bond, It's like okay. So that was a character became big wish fulfillment. I don't know he's always been around in my life, but definitely it was the two fur of GoldenEye, not only just the game, but the movie. I absolutely love the movie. That is my second favorite Bond movie all time. Spoiler for rankings when me and Kirkland get there one day. But that's my second favorite movie all time for the Bond series, so I just fell in love even more so that character. Much like everyone around my age. That was a classic. Hey we're coming over. You're playing that game for hours and hours, You're finding the secret portals, you finding the Golden guns, good time, and then from them, I'm just consumed Bond. I'd say I am a massive Bond fan in the way that I love Bond a lot, not in the way that I could tell you all this act, played this guard and yet to do. I don't know the trivia and I'm not seeing them all like I don't watch them every year or anything like that. But I love the Bond series. I own every single one on Blu Ray four K, so I am a big connoisseur of the franchise and I'm excited to see where we go in the future. And I was very excited by this because Io Interactive. It's been almost just like Bond, but a different side of the coin for my gaming history as far as growing up, because I played all the hit Man's I got hit Man Blood money. When I think it was the three sixty era, and then after that they created a remastered of all of them and I have it somewhere, but it's like a very cool, like like this very this art cover, like it stands out, it doesn't. It looks like there's lots of effort put in this, and it's like a silhouette and a big mural of all the games put together. And then I play them all. I was a big fan of Absolution as well, that's more of a story based one. And then I've only played the first one of the Newest Trilogy because I'm just behind on stuff, so that I played them all. I am a massive, massive fan of Caame Lynch. I love Kane Lynch so much. I was so hyped when they announced the movie that never got made. Even the sequel for Kana Lynch is a weird game when you play his Lynch and he's kind of like crazy and schizophrenic and he's taken medicine and they do so much stuff. So yeah, I like Iowa a lot so this game. When they said, hey, We're doing Bond, I thought that was a match made heaven because even though I haven't got the hit Man, the New Hitman two and three. I'm very excited, and even after this, I'm like, Okay, I want to get back on that. I'm hoping next years I've talked about is my catchup year, and that's on the list of kay. I want to two and three because I love the aesthetic. I love the pacing, but like Kirkland said, the pacing's a little bit different for here. So overall, so far, I really enjoyed the game because I did beat it today. I was okay, I'm going to power through. I want Yeah, I wanted to get to it, so I just sat down like Okay, I'm gonna get this done. Had a really good time with it. I do have critiques. It's not the it didn't hit the I wouldn't say it hit the Spider Man or Arkham Asylum level. I think it's more the like Star Wars Jedi Fall or whatever, the Jedi the first Jedi game of Calcasts, whatever, that it's like he has a fall in order, like somewhere in that type of realm where it's like I feel like with a sequel, maybe it can get there. Now with the Star Wars game it didn't right, or even Indiana Jones, I feel like I had a bigger experience with Indiana Jones versus this. Still really like this, and I still feel like my score would be pretty high, and I would recommend that anybody it's a Bond fan. I was trying to sell many like anyone's a Bond fan. It is a must play. I think they do a great job of issue. If you want to do the wish fulfillment, you get to do that as Bond because lots of the other games, when they are just the first person, it is just you're just mowing through guys shooting right. You might have a watch, you might do a couple gadgets, but really it is a first person shooter or this is honestly. The shooting is I don't know where ranks and percentage not so much, maybe near the back half of the game, but it's a very low amount of shooting you do sometimes, but they hit everything. You do. The gadgets, you do, the shooting, you do, the handhand combat, you do, the vehicles, which all kind of suck in my opinion. They're never that fun. There's one moment where something unlocked, all that's gonna be really cool, and it just sucks playing with this vehicle. It's it's a pain and it's such a cool moment and it feels like, oh, we finally got here, and it doesn't play well. So the vehicles, they're kind of men even anytime it's like a boat part and it's like, this just doesn't feel good. I'm on the reverse of Kirkling. My favorite part of the game is the combat, because what I like about this is it does have that dodge or just you know, miss time, like evade sort of thing. But it's not the Arkham style where Baman's like very meticulous and it's very boom boom down, boom boom down. I love. It's very much like the Craig movies where you're just getting scuffles, you're getting thrown against bookshelves. You I love chucking things and throwing them at the people. I love that. So I actually prefer to have the handhanding comment over the gunplay. The gunplay's fine, it's good. That feels very much like Hitman, where Hitman's gun play is never amazing because you're never like trying to be You're not trying to be Kurkling. In the twenty four hour stream a couple of years ago, right, Like in Hitman, most of when you're using your guns, it's like a last resort or it's a designed level in my opinion. Right, maybe Absolution was a bit different. But one play thing is past well, it's good. But I love the fighting. I love the you can just grab a person and do these different combinations. The gadgets are tons of fun. I love that you can incorporate them in the mission or also the fight. So yeah, the handhand combat, it feels the closest to those Craig movies that they could have got. It reminds me of a lot. They made a Born Identity game back in the day and I was a.
Speaker 1: Huge fan of that man I played that that was so good.
Speaker 2: And the fighting is a lot like that. So because especially Kirkland, I love like just kind of the spy genre in general. And then for the story wise, I think it's like a it's like a good like it's a solid B type of story bond. It's kind of like, oh, people love Skyfall and Casina around, but then it's like and then there's Quantum Solace and then there's you know, die another day. It's not dynamic to Moron never dies. It definitely feels like if this was an actor's repertoire, it being like the second section of the quality of the movies. I'm harder than kirkland is. I had my worries before and even more so now. Patrick Gibson's Bond doesn't really work for me. I think playing as the character feels like Bond, but he doesn't. And this is just like a minor the most mindor spoiler Kirk. At one point, you're gonna get a car that has some guns in it. Big surprise, right, But there's a moment, Okay, he sits down and he's talking the AI. He's like, what's this what's this machine gut? And the AI goes like, oh, it's got missiles. It's oh yeah, awesome. And then it's like, but they're not working. Oh you kidding me? But does machine guns? Hell yeah, now we're talking not Bond at all. There's multiple times in this game story wise and character wise they don't get Bond. There's someone that kills someone and he's like, I don't handle things that way, and then you go on to screen you murder a bunch of people. They I don't think they nailed the character of Bond, and I don't think Patrick Gibson did. I think he did as good as he could, but I don't feel Bond. So that's the thing that holds it back. Story wise, I can never click in. It feels something is off the whole time. It feels like this is a guy that is like Double O five or Double four. It does not feel like Double O seven. I think it does hit on the cheesy lines and the hot girls and the crazy situation. So all the bondisms is great. Just Bond himself doesn't wear what we talk about Indiana Jones right when god Osie he's playing Harrison Ford. But still when Troy Baker's that, say okay, he nailed it, He's I feel like he's Indiana Jones. It doesn't exactly feel like Bond to me. So I like Patrick Gibson so far. What I've seen from Dexter and even here it's not necessarily bad. But I very much hope they don't go this round the movies, which I don't think they will. So overall, I had a really good time that I've not done any of the tax sims. Like you guys, if you want to talk about that, I was waiting because I just wanted to do the full story and lead. There's a kind of like a dessert to have after the fact. But I would highly recommend it. If you like iiO games or if you like Bond. I think you like Bond, You're gonna be pretty happy. And I think more people like Patrick Gibson than me, so I think overall, I would recommend it as a bye and I had a lot of fun of it, But it's also not like a game in the year. It's not one I'm like, oh man, they I think they're like they nailed a lot of aspects, maybe not the entire game, but I I enjoyed it. But I also don't know if I'm gonna be like replaying it right away. I'll replay like when a Bond movie comes. So that's kind of my my overall package right now.
Speaker 1: Very nice. Yeah, I in terms of my history backstory, I'll be much quicker than you guys because I have a much shorter history with Bond. I've seen maybe two movies, two Bond movies in my life, and I don't think I've ever rewatched them, so it's like I've just not really watched these things at all it was just golden, golden Ey as a kid, just playing that endlessly over and over and over again. And yeah, I feel like actually similar to you, Kirkle, Like I was into like the more kid Bond stuff, and so I feel like all that and stuff feels very similar to me, or feels very reminiscent, like I know what the tropes arether than like the kids movies don't have like hot girls all the time like I guess the Bond stuff has. But otherwise it all feels very familiar, even though you know, I can't confirm because I haven't seen as many of the movies. And then with IO, I'm I'm also kind of a recent convert here, Like the first game of theirs I played was hit Man twenty sixteen, and then rolling into hit Man two and hit Man three, and then I guess World of Assassination, which kind of bundled them all together and added freelancer mode, and that has become if you bundle that all into one game, which they now have done, if you buy it on the storefront, that has gone out to become one of my favorite games of all time, like definitely right near the top ten, top fifteen it's hard to put in the top ten just because it is kind of three games, kind of four games, kind of one game. Like it's just hard to rank for that reason. But it is just one of my favorite games ever. Like I've always loved stealth games, and I love the It's just such a dense mechanical game. It constantly makes me laugh with crazy scenarios. It makes me feel so smart when I come up with a really cool, interesting solution to a problem, and I just like that. It's kind of yeah, different from like the traditional third person action games and stealth games, like, it is kind of completely unique in that way, and truly like top tier level design, like Io and Arcane are the two best in the biz when it comes to level design. I'll say that over and over again. So yeah, I love these games so much, and I think you know, I was tempering the expectations of like, Okay, this game is not going to be the next hip Man game, so I can I'm not expecting to have all that same mechanical depth. But then we had that showcase that I think me and you covered Travis back in like The Fall or whatever it was, where they kind of went through the first main mission in this game, and they kind of did like a vertical slice of like here's like the mission like five different parts. Yes, And from that I kind of I think I maybe got possibly too excited because it was like, oh, this looks very hit Man. This seems like hit Man, but with like you know, the movement's faster and like the gunplay is better and stuff like that. But it has that kind of multiple solutions to the problem. You can, you know, mess with the environment, trick people a little bit of social stealth, not as much not putting on as many outfits and things, but like a little bit of that. And so I think, you know, I did have some expectations of like, Okay, I think this actually is gonna be quite a lot like hit Man, and I think the reality is that that mission is by in this game by far, the closest to a Hitman mission, and after that they all get progressively less like Hitman. So honestly that was a bit of a detractor for me, and that I think this game as one of like the strongest openings in first like few hours of a game for me in recent memory, Like I love getting into the world, meaning everyone six, meeting the team. I think that like games don't ever do montages. There's an amazing montage tutorial sequence in this game that I think is really great. It's like, here's literally ten seconds of like some punching stuff, and then here's thirty seconds of doing a race around the island. Here's another ten seconds of you doing some platforming stuff, and then back here's five more seconds of combat, and like here's a couple of tricks you haven't learned yet, and it just cycles through that stuff, and it just fucking rips and up to that game too, like all the story stuff and the beats getting you to that point, the game just moves. It never takes you back to a menu. It never says like click here to go to the next level. It just moves from thing to thing, introducing you to character, mechanic, to the world, setting up you know, like the the I guess not red hairings, but like foreshadowing. You know, it's just setting up stuff left, right and center. And then it kind of gets you into that first big mission, that one that was shown off a few months ago, and then that mission just sings, and I to me, that is the best mission in the game, and Honestly, this is where I feel I have so many complex thoughts about this game, because honestly, for me, the game kind of just gets worse as it goes along. It never becomes a bad game. I just think at worst, this game just is extremely generic. And that is especially true for like the last two major sections of the game, really uninteresting gameplay, really shitty puzzles, you know, just a lot of like shootout galleries, which are fine, but like the gunplay is not, like the handhand combat is the better part of the combat system here, and so I was kind of wanting the game to end when I was getting to the end of it, to be honest. But definitely those first few missions, first few areas, those first three, I guess major areas, I think are all fantastic. There was one I was pretty like, also just say it's a resort, you know, to say in a light spoilers a way, I was very disappointed with that region because it looks really cool and there's some cool story stuff going on there, but the gameplay is just like a zero out of ten. Okay that's exaggerating, but it's like it's it's generic five out of ten level stuff and I was like, man, the dark, fucked up part of me is like, man, I just wish this was a hit Man level, and this actually got like the care and love of like a full, fully edged out level instead of just what feels like a nice esthetic without really much depth behind it at all. I think there's a lot of really interesting mechanics in this game. I like the Q Watch and all the gadgets and things you get there. I think it's extremely imbalanced, and we can talk about like the reason for that. It does play more into like a power fantasy than like the limitations of like a hit Man game. But I think at times it maybe goes a bit too far where there's certain things like anytime you've got a pickpocket a guy in this game, you just shouldn't with a dart and you just grab the thing off him and you don't have to use your brain. I didn't really ever feel smart in this game in the way that Hitman makes me feel like, Oh man, I came up with a cool solution and then I pulled it off, and I feel like a genius. I never really got that kind of happy feeling from this game. Unfortunately, it is still io. The level design is still great, even if there are sections that are more linear and generic. I think overall, for the story, again, I'm not as much of the Bond guy. I think there's some great moments. I really like all the characters, like mi I six and a couple of other side characters. I think the main villain is like garbage, like justly interesting. Again, very generic, but yeah, overall, I did have a good enough time with this game. I actually like the Vehicle six sections. It switches it up, It's it's fun enough for you know again, it's it kind of whips you through these different sequences. You don't have to sit on it for too long. I like the performance of our main guy here. I think it does a good job. Again, I don't have as much baggage of like what what Bond is or should be, so that's fine for me. And then I think I've almost turned around a little bit more because now that I've beat the game, I didn't do any of the tax sim stuff before beating the game. Now that I have rolled credits, I'm jumping into some of that stuff, and that is where this game is trying to be hit man. A lot of that stuff is structured in the same way Hitmen is. It has the challenges. It even has like the same layout and UI for some of those things. There's like the tiered missions as you go through and unlock stuff. Yeah, you are, you are unlocking things. There's not any things to unlock as Hitmen. Of course, I'm guessing they're gonna keep building up this because it does feel a little light. I haven't finished all this stuff yet, but it does feel like they could just, you know, every month at a new section in here, a new a new mission that you can go in and do. Maybe they'll do that in the way they keep supporting Hitman with new content and things like that. Or maybe they'll just move on to SQL. Who knows what they'll do. But either way, this stuff, there's a lot of really interesting things in here that I'm excited to do, and it is giving me more of like you kind of have to master stuff like there was I was doing this thing just before this, did you guys know you can like do it a gut punch attack that like Blake breaks blocks. I did not realize that was in part of the melee combat system because it's just a weird set of inputs. Yeah, or maybe they was in the tutorial, probably was, and I just forgot about it. But this mission, like you gotta do this thing, and now I've learned it, and it's like, wow, I like the combat like ten times more now because there's just another wrinkle that adds into the variety of it all. So I think the tax Sim stuff is is pretty cool so far, but again it is pretty small. It seems a little limited. But I haven't really finished that stuff yet. But at least from the you know, maybe two hours I have in the Taxim.
Speaker 3: Stuff man to tip your tongue, just my tax him like adventure there. So yeah, like you you get access to it early on, you don't have to do it.
Speaker 1: Is everything I wish i'd like when you jumped in there. No, no, it's not.
Speaker 3: So there's only certain amounts that are unlocked, and then you get more as.
Speaker 1: You I guess whatever places you've been to in the story or like.
Speaker 3: That, yeah locked, yeah, exactly, like the first one is is Iceland or whatever, you know what I mean. And I jumped in there and I did not I could not figure out how to get the fuck out of tax Sim. I didn't know how to get back into c branch. So I literally just stayed in there for like like at least an hour and a half just doing the tax sims because I'm like, Okay, well, maybe I just have to finish these, like maybe it's part of the tutorial, Like I like, I actually just have to do all the ones that are unlocked, like I went through all the tears, and because of that, like I was dying doing these, Like they're not super easy at least I guess at that point in the game for myself. But man, I was just getting locked in. Like I was getting so good with the combat, and there's some that are like just melee like challenges essentially, and I was just like spamming those on repeat. So that's kind of like where I got really good with the combat kind of before I even like jumped into the main story stuff.
Speaker 1: The way I got out of it.
Speaker 3: Is I ended up just closing the game eventually, and then it loaded me in when you first go back to like the Q branch, so all of my Taxi in progress was just not saved, but like I had all of like the actual like reps as the player, so I'm like, yay, I'm never going back into the taxim because I don't know how to get the fuck out of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm just that much of an idiot.
Speaker 3: I don't know if like I went everywhere in the taxim, like I didn't know how to get back to Q branch. I couldn't just go down the stairs. There's like a gate there. It was so weird. I don't know if it was bug or whatnot. But yeah, I haven't gone back there since, but I was doing reps in the taxim before I really even, like I think it was I think it was like the first mission you do, and then I went in there and I just I was just in there for like a couple hours, like definitely at least an hour and a half just just grinding out some taxims.
Speaker 1: But they're pretty fun for sure.
Speaker 3: It's definitely you know, like like like you said, like gives you a little list of challenges and that's where it kind of teaches you, like the different combos for the melees like you said, like hit hole, the hit button. You know, like like just doing in those patterns.
Speaker 1: You would like accidentally do a lot, but then it's like, oh, this is like a thing I can actually do in this ye scenario, and yeah, you really gives me more of an appreciation for all those mechanics that I was kind of just blazing through or like stumbling through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally, but I have those pretty much unlock, like after the first mission, so it definitely equit me well going forward.
Speaker 1: Uh, there's definitely some sections that are really challenging to get through, but overall, yeah, yeah, that third tier of like the first tax emission ten to fifteen tries for me to beat it was fucking man.
Speaker 3: I beat it with like one HP left, and it was so stressful because she was like asking me something, and I like, I guess I could have paused the game, but I was just so locked in. I was treating it like a like a from software game where I can't pause, and I ended up like just sniping the last guy and I was like sweating. And it's funny because in PlayStation it like records when you get a trophy, and it actually like records like whatever, you're.
Speaker 1: Oh right here through your remote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I watched the trophy again and I'm like, holy shit, I'm like and then I I.
Speaker 1: Like ask her whatever she was asking.
Speaker 3: It's just a funny memory that they you know, just data stole from me. But it's kind of funny to look back on that.
Speaker 1: Nice. Yeah, So I think I will definitely need to report back on future side quests. Just want to gone through more of this tax and stuff to see how I feel about this game overall. I think with the story itself, I was satisfied with it, but yeah, like as I said, it kind of really dragged near the end for me and brought down some of that enjoyment. I would recommend this game again. Since I'm not a big Bond guy, I don't know if I can recommend it on that front, but just in terms of like a game, it's really well done, you know, especially coming from hit Man, I had low expectations for how good it would feel to move around, to punch people, to shoot guns. It's so much better than it. Man, it feels really good. Like all that stuff is fun, you know, you know, as you said, traps, you don't do a ton of gunplay, like at most you're getting like a clip extra of AMMO and like you're probably gonna burn through that really fast. But like it all feels very good. I mean, there's like crazy like auto aim, like Logong, and I'm just like, yeah, I'm just gonna rip with this because it's more more fun for me to do it this way. There's explosive barrels everywhere in this game. It's comical amount. But yeah, like all that, all that stuff's very fun. Before I guess we scoot into the next sequence. Just two questions that we got on Discord Comments Comments Questions. One from Sbub's the Guy in the Chair. My only complaint about the game is that the low tens feel way longer than any current Gen Triple A game I've played, which can be annoying if you're like me, dying and having to restart a bunch. Was this an issue for you guys, Yeah, definitely. I don't think I've played a game on PS five that has this bad of load times, And it's funny, it's like, it's definitely the first one problem where it's really not that bad, but we're just so conditioned with the PS five and how quick it is. And I think all three of us are playing on PS five, right, Yeah, obviously Kirkne you just mentioned a trophy, so yeah you are. But yeah, like it definitely when you are in like a little yeah, fistfight brawl like the one in A Left, and I lost that a couple of times. That's when I was like, WHOA, these load times are crazy because before that all that going from the different sequel, it's all really fast and zips. But when you die and have to reset, it's I guess there's just a lot of props, a lot of characters, a lot of things. It definitely takes a while for the loading. So yeah, that definitely bothered me as well. And then other other tech things. One time I did get soft locked and I had to look up a walk through watch the video realize I got soft locked, and then I had to restart that section and do it again, which I hate when things like that happen in games because then it's just this insidious thing in the back of your head for the rest of the game. Anytime you're stuck, you're like, oh, is the game just bugged and I'm soft locked? Or am I just stupid and not knowing the solution here? So that was a bummer. I had the game crash a couple of times. I'd never lost too much progress, but obviously Kirkham was having some issues with like the tax and thing being kind of janky too, So I never had any like frame rate drops. So for the most part, I think the game is technically pretty sound, but there's just a couple of hiccups and again, load times, yeah, could be could be better. And then the other one was from Petcrum twenty four. I haven't played the game, although I planned to at some point. I don't really enjoy the shooting, aspecting games, I find it kind of boring, and I expected this game to have a lot of that. But some of the things that have been said in the discord about the use of environment, et cetera, have maybe hopeful that maybe the game has more handic hand to combat from what I expected it. So I guess I would like to know if handahik combat plays a big part of the game. Pin on buying it either way, Just curious. Yeah, Travis, you kind of touched on this already, but do you want to kind of answer that question more specifically as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like if that if you were in the case where you maybe like the bond of World but you're not looking for a shooter, I do think this is that perfect kind of combination. Is like what Kirkland said where it is more uncharted because it's also you're playing hand in hand in combat, but there's also lots of set pieces. Luckily, I was worried in the first two levels, especially the first one. There was I won't say a lot, but a good amount of almost quick time cut seeming things, and I was like, oh, no, it's gonna be a lot of that. I feel like they pick it wisely, and I feel like they sometimes may go overboard in some sections, but overall I would pass and say no, it's still a good amount and it was safe there, so no, I think if that's also worry, the combat is to me the standout and that's why I play the game and have a fun time. Don't get me wrong, there is some fun times where because you you have situations too where they will give you the license to kill and you could go shoot everybody, but you don't have to. You can still take it as like a self thing. You can still do this combat. Obviously, it's a bit more tricky if there's a bunch of gunfire, you have to do some running and some hiding. But there are of course some sections where okay, you just have to use the gun. But I feel like it's it's quite small for what I would have thought for a Bond game. And even then, I think those sections are really good. Like there's you know classic Bonds that where you're in a room, there's a door you gotta get to. It's a bunch of computers and whatnot, and there's dozens of guys and you just got to mow through them, right and again, even in that situation, technically you don't have to use your gun. I definitely use the gun because there's a lot of guys, But if you're an expert and you just want to steal it up or handhand, there is a way, especially if you're depending on your difficulty, right, if you're playing the easiest, which I played right in the middle, I'm sure you could easily just do most of this with combat. I don't think with the hardest, because I we'd heard from I that he kind of took a break because like you just die after two punches. So I'm excited to play the game at some point with that. But I think if you had that same critique or worry this scratches that it so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I feel like hanahand combat is the most common thing followed by probably like using gadgets and stuff, and then gunplay would be like below that in terms of like just basic kind of gameplay things you're doing. And then second part of his question was also the car chase part of the mission in the trailer looked fun. Should we expect more or do?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know what exact trailer you're talking about. I'm assuming it's like the the car chase from the like first main mission, like that one that was in that state of play or I showcase whatever it was. That's probably the most extensive one in the game. But I there's probably like a good five six seven to appiece Kirkland's favorite number. There of like different things, maybe different driving sequences, vehicle sequences in this game. A couple of them are bigger, a couple of them are smaller. I've I though, thought it was fun. I like driving around this game, which again surprised me because it' hit maut you like never do that kind of thing, and it is a very rigid game, but I thought it felt pretty good. It is very on rails though, like if you go like slightly out of line, it'll like you're gonna beer back this way like it is. Those are all very set piece, You're never like driving around freely and stuff. But it sounds like Travis kind of dislike the driving stuff. And then Kirkland, I don't know, are you on my side or Kirk or Travis's side.
Speaker 3: I was in the middle the very first sequence. Yeah, like like that part. I actually just restarted that sequence like three or four times because I just kept fucking running into the wall and I'm like this double seven man, Like, I can't just be running into the walls for this mission. I got to do it smoothly, so so I just kept restarting it there. And that's kind of when I realized the loading times actually, So that was when when that moment hit for me where I'm like, oh wow, this is like, like I'm just so used to instant load times these days. You know, we're definitely spoiling that sense, which is a good.
Speaker 1: Thing to have.
Speaker 3: But after that and I like kind of figured out how the controls worked, I did like it a lot more.
Speaker 1: It is on rails, but like you know, for.
Speaker 3: A linear story game, like I'm totally fine with that, and I like I remember loving the driving sequences in Night Fire I think most of the Double seven games had that incorporated, but in Night Fire at least, like the Aston Martin missions, those were like some of my favorite, and those are incredibly on rails and they're like even so you're on a train compared to even with this is little like more free roamy type driving games.
Speaker 1: But yeah, overall, I think it was fine.
Speaker 3: I definitely like if there was a lot of it, it could have been like, oh man, like this is this is rough to get through, or if there's like some of them are really difficult, like that would be really brutal, like you just keep dying and you're trying to get through this like driving mission, that would really really make me not like the driving sequences, but yeah, whether you're on like different types of vehicles, I just never mind. I yeah, never mind. I didn't finish anything. Definitely not gonna say something about a chapter I just finished. But yeah, just the driving moments, I think because they're not like back to back to back, like they're spread out pretty evenly across the missions, like I have really enjoyed them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and just in like a more zooming out thing like those are very much at big set piece moments and yeah, I was trying to say like that, there's a lot of that in this. It is a very set piec kind of game. Naturally in between in between the kind of more bespoke levels and such. Okay, anything else in this kind of opening in this opening section is taking four to three minutes, classic classic gig first move here, but yeah, anything else before we kind of delve more into a little bit cracking open the spoilers a bit more and talking more specific stuff.
Speaker 2: Like the theme theme was good, and the opening was good.
Speaker 1: The opening was great. Dig a jobs Alay, she was fantastic. Yeah, cool, Okay, let me jump to a quick break here. I'll shout out our Patreon producers. We've Aaron Braden, April of Darkness, Jack Grant, super Bad, Mic TGGLM six ninet ak and r f Headalgo, Lenny Kravitz here he is conde with no wage, Sam Green, John m Matthew Fletcher. Thank you all so much for keeping the lights on. I already kind of shouted out what to expect from side quest coming up here, all sorts of fun stuff again. Subscribe to the feeds to be sure to see when we'd cover saved play Summer Game Fest, Xbox Showcase, all that good stuff, and then yeah, I think also like in the next couple of weeks, I'm sure we'll report back more when we've played more of Batman, likeol Batman and more of Double O seven. So definitely, yeah, keep keep an eye out for side Quest. Thenk it'll be a fun next a few weeks, just a fun June in side Quest, even though there I don't think we're any picking up any new games. But yeah, just so much news and kind of cleaning up these games and things should be fun discussions all around. Let's jump to a quick ad break. We'll be right back. Okay, we are back. So, Kirkland, you are the furthest behind your on chapter Evan Nightfall, can you? Uh So, I guess what we'll say for anyone listening. We're gonna open up spoilers. Anything from the start of the game up to that section of the game is kind of fair play. And then any sort of mechanics encountered in there. And if me and Travis accidentally spoil you know, non story things that might pop up, you know that's that might happen too. But you know what, we're gonna try our best not to, but yeah, let's let's go to that. So, Kirklan, what is the very last thing that's happened in your in your game? Just so I don't accidentally spoil it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so myself being you know, mister James Bond and Greenway just entered the web headquarters.
Speaker 1: There we're on the way to the perch, the kind of like apartment the office building the section got it. Yeah, it.
Speaker 3: It actually reminded me of a level from Night Fire, which is funny because there's a there's a issue where you're like you're like invading like a like a big office building like this, it starts stealth sequence. Those the stealth sequences in those old games were so limited, but I was definitely get reminded of that, and I just love this type of set also for the specific mission, Like it reminds me of the Dark Night when when Batman goes to China to take that one woe. Yeah loow, Like I just like settings like this, like you're just invading this.
Speaker 1: Like billion billionaire skyscraper.
Speaker 3: It's like nighttime. Just just really really cool design. But yeah, what what just happened though, was like the big like museum sequence. I guess I could say. So that's what I just finished, and I was gonna say, like what you drive away on in the garbage truck. That was really fun cinematic set piece, and I just liked that, Like I don't know, I wasn't really surprised by like, oh my god, mister Webb is the bad guy like I was expecting and obviously someone that I have encountered to be, like the double agent or whatnot. I had feelings it was gonna be greenway, and I thought it was.
Speaker 1: Like too easy to be set up that way.
Speaker 3: So I am kind of impressed they were able to surprise me only chapter seven. Maybe this chapter he stabs in the back. You know, I'll try to read anything off your guys's eyes, but overall, like like yeah, like I think the little twist and turns I have expecting was expecting something, but it's.
Speaker 1: Been pretty well managed.
Speaker 3: And like when you first find like double owed nine, like I thought he was gonna be a lot more of a villain than he's just capped on his boat. I'm like, oh, yeah, yeah, I wasn't expecting that. So a couple of moments like that kind of kind of surprised by uh yeah, m hmm.
Speaker 1: What do you guys think of Greenway as a as a character so far?
Speaker 3: I'm I like the fact that he's like with you more now, like like I think before I was really annoyed by him, and then it's like, okay, it's it's gonna be oh yeah, like I was so wrong about you bond and like up until this point in my adventure, like he hasn't done that, but he's just been like forced to kind of work with me, and I think that's been a more fun dynamic than what I would have expected. Like I said, like earlier on when you're investigating uh double oh nine, like after you you meet Landing Kravitz and all that stuff, I'm like, man, Greenway is like so obviously the bad guy here, Like I I it just seemed like everything was like, oh, we don't have to investigate Double nine, like just let just let it be done.
Speaker 1: Like it just seems so on the nose.
Speaker 3: So that's where like right away I'm like, oh man, this better not just be like dragged on for the next couple of chapters. And then right in that mission it was kind of revealed that Okay, no, like like there's maybe some credibility with what he's doing here, but just the fact that he's been with me on these missions. I think that's been kind of a fun dynamic. And he's definitely grown on me because he was pretty annoying earlier on. But just that you know, assholes, drill sergeant type character, right that you've seen many times before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I think that chapter that you're on actually is maybe when I turned more to become a bit more of a FANDOMI because I just I just found like the hard ass boss who like hates Bond shtick to get got old pretty fast. Then we just kept picking over him. It's like, fuck, man, Okay, come on. But yeah, I think in that chapter, like they you know, it's a lot of one on one time they get to bond a bit more. They have some moments where they slow down just like chat about life and stuff, and so I think I think he's you know, growing me somewhat as he yeah, kind of lightens up, I suppose. But yeah, I found him not to be my favorite character in this game of the I six crew. He's probably my least favorite. Maybe, yeah, maybe that started to turn with that one you're on. But yeah, not my favorite character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm similar to dealing why I liked him more as we went along, I understood the reason we were there. I didn't touch upon this in the overalls that I was kind of disappointed, and I'm still fine that now. I didn't know the whole game was gonna be in the you know this is my I suppose, but I think once you're playing into it, you know it really is like an origin for Bond. I was just kind of home we were just gonna be Bond because we just got that with Greg. This movie is that? Or sorry, this game is that? The rumors are doing that with the movie again, like oh, we're gonna give him a new version. I would have been fine with just picking up with him as Bond and us going forward. So you get a lot of those tropes of can he be trusted as he good at his job? Can he performed to this level? Yet even the training stuff I agree with the doing where I loved the idea of running, catching the flag, fighting and shooting all back for the Oh that's cool. It's like a movie montage, but you're playing the movie montage, but the actual kind of I think set piece, or just even chapter of it being at full training went on for a bit too long, like the whole thing with him and Moreau was like, Bond is cheesy, but I feel like they weren't trying to go for that type of cheese in this game, and like they're they're fighting the call whatever, the place that they've decided to train all these new double agents, and they're bringing down buildings, they're destroying like all of a sudden's like, all right.
Speaker 1: A little bit. I was popping off on some essays soldiers.
Speaker 2: Yeah the side here, Yeah a little far so. Yeah, So I think were weighing concept. I was like, and even in general that I didn't love the idea of all we're doing Origin, but I think they gets executed and it gets better over on something is the Origin. It's fine. It's not my cup of tea. But I think they do a good job of kind of giving this bond something a little bit different. I think they make them maybe a little too normal in my opinion, a little too not coldhearted. So and that's fine. There is other bonds that might be like Roger Moore's Bond is a bit more fun and whatnot. But I just feel like this game doesn't go for that iffect. They try to be serious, but the Bond is a little more lighthearted so long form. I didn't have liking Greenway at the end, where I do think at the beginning, I was like, Okay, this might be a little uh whole home for me, So yeah.
Speaker 1: How about just sticking with like the I six characters. Yeah, you don't have to, we won't talk about all of them, but yeah, any any highlights favorite favorite characters or at least favorite from that from that whole crew.
Speaker 3: But money Penny was definitely a highly run away penny instantly just great charisma, and I like Travil.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yes, Patty.
Speaker 3: Gibson Bond like definitely not the higher tier ones I've come across, but like just his like one liners and like schmoozing like random characters. I did like to that door inspector one l oh, yeah, I love you know, I love that stuff. But it's just anytime he's interacting with em doing his like schmoozing thing, like when they're at the nightclub you meet the woman in the red dress, Like all that stuff for me was was really fun and I felt like the dialogue that he delivered, whether it was selected by me or not, like it was it was. It was good, Like that was bond esk right, like like just him schmoozing. He does that a lot with Money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was probably his strongest stuff. I didn't think Moneypenny him really had a flirtatious relationship in this one, because Money Penny doesn't really bite on it.
Speaker 3: Just when they're like when they're first meeting, right, like he's trying to get the name, and just that back and forth was kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's probably strong suit is the flirting style stuff.
Speaker 1: So Chob Patty g Yeah. Yeah, but you Travis, any highlight characters from that in my sixth.
Speaker 2: Group I really liked. I can't remember how you say her name. It wasn't Carissa, but it was like something like that. Cressida. Yeah. I was disappointed when they start of said the storyline like, oh her morower into each other. I'm like, nah, I'm I want to into Carissa already. Yeah, So yeah, I think like she's probably my favorite. Q was cue Money Penny. I was a little underwhelmed with. Like I said, I don't think they had the flirtatious relationship. As a one. I think it was very one sided and she didn't really bite on any of that were the rest of the game. They did make the girls very like fall for the cheesy, sexy one liners and just be all over them. I guess that's kind of the point. But even then there's a kind of will they won't They were at times just felt like he's I'm not gonna say he's harassing her, but it's sometimes felt like he's thrown out like these section one liners and she's like, all right, here's a mission statement. You know, we're usually the movie's a little back and forth. She'll throw that out and they go into that. So I liked her enough. But yeah, I would say her and I kind of grew on Monroe a little bit awesome. We didn't spend much time with these characters, but she was my favorite at the bunch. So and obviously well not m I six girl, but the other els or EELSA or whatever, too close submission possible name right there for me, I'm gonna mess up for life, but.
Speaker 1: One like the French Lady.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but yeah, Sola, Yeah, she was tons of fun and she's a classic like spy archetype of you know, canyo can you trust? So often? Am I six? But out of an adjacent character, she was my favorite.
Speaker 3: So really fun introduction to that character too, Like right, yeah, it felt like Selena Kyle was in was in the mission with me. I was like, yeah, who the fuck is this person again? Like it's just so like in the middle of everything else that's going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think she's really well paced within the story. Yeah, I really liked that trio that you know is funny. You get like the apartment with Crusta dunmon Roe as well, and so you get some fun little just kind of kind of roommate quabbles almost in a little interstitial moments, and you know, I cared enough for them. I didn't, you know, I don't love him on Roe by any means, but I you know, it's still a good emotional scene when he when he bites the bullet and when Crusta also gets crushed by that that pillar and loses her, Like that was a really sad moment and I was bummed that we lost her and she's not no longer, uh you know, kind of part of the crew for that that section going forward, So so Yeah, I was pretty to that. I really like you, you know, just fun. The tech guy, uh has a lot of like knowledge and history of this place that he drops the little tidbits. I think he has a couple of scenes later on that are are particularly really great. Uh. And yeah, it's just a fun just I mean, in general, I just like hanging on the lab. You're there a lot. I just like hanging out there. Jem and Chants is of course one that's like disappointingly just not in this game. And then I got like a glimmer of hope when I finally went to the text and stuff, and she's the character that introduces you to that and walks you through it. And then in the two hours since I haven't heard her say a peep, Like she just kind of she just kind of gets you set up there and then like disappears into the shadows, going back.
Speaker 3: At it again, right back to the tax. Yeah, so that was kind of disappointing.
Speaker 1: Em. I didn't really care for kind of bored by that character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's just fine for me, which is tough because like the m relationship is usually such a juicy thing in the movies. I didn't think they I think that was part of the problem of it also being an origin story, because that's times when you pick up with MM Bond, they have all this history and they refer them this relationshiphere, this was like feeling each other out, like, oh, can I trust you? So I think that maybe to me suffer from oh they're just meeting and and I have no problem with them being a woman. It's been that way many times. I just didn't. It's just it's just didn't really.
Speaker 1: The whole middle chunk of the games. She's just not really there at all. No, you don't really get like maybe you hear her like on a calm, but it's more like Moneypenny talking about what she's doing or something like. That's kind of it. So, yeah, you don't get you don't get a ton with her. But yeah, I guess talking through we can go somewhat kind of in order here talking about these sequences that stand out to us. I mean, I really like the first sequence in Iceland. I think that is a fun location. It felt very death stranding to me. And part of that is because like the first base you come up to has like these orange light pillars that are very similar to like the mule camps, like when you show up to them and they get like they pings off when you walk through them, and just like the right exactly. Yeah, it looks it looks like the exact same as Best Stranding. So I really like that sequence. I think it was a good intro and it kind of introduced you to to one that he's like a bit of a rule breaker. He's a bit of a bad boy. Then also like he's breaking the rule to save people, and so he's like obviously doing it for a good cause, has a big ego and all that. So I think it does a good job of like setting the scene for who this guy is. And he's always like young and it's like the origin of him. He still has like that braggadocious nature. He still has that confidence and still cares about like saving lives. So yeah, I thought that was a good a good opening sequence.
Speaker 3: I'm such a sucker for when the game opens and you're like going on a mission or something and then it just crash, crash lands somewhere. The most recent one that I played on that was cost Riqua Breakpoint. It's like the second wild Lands game. It's like a very similar opening to this obviously you're not like going in there to save people, but just like you're in a helicopter crash lance and then like people are hunting you and you gotta you gotta evade, and it's just such a fun like Okay, we're getting right into the action here, and it's like this is why you don't just have an M sixteen on your back, you know, like like you're really limited. And I thought they did a good like balancing of you really like you feel capable, like he's he's not a double O agent at this point, but like he's not just he's not just I don't know, a little civilian here, like.
Speaker 1: Like he is somewhat survival instincts here.
Speaker 3: Also like the threat like when you jump in the water because you're just like forced to. I'm like, man, I feel so cold for my character knowing that he's in Iceland. You just came out of like the freezing cold ocean and he gets thrown back in the water, like it's just yeah. I thought it was a really really good intro opening sequence, and I really didn't know how this game was gonna go, Like I assumed it was gonna be an origin for the character I didn't think it was gonna be going through the whole like how he gets recruited and then you go through the training and that stuff was was really extended, and I don't have any problems with that. I really like those sequences and help build up just the chemistry and relationships with Monroe and Cressida. I did feel like attached to those characters, even though you lose them kind of on the first mission. I really like just on the mission, having them like in the earpieces and stuff, and even going to like the nightclub like training mission that you do.
Speaker 1: Like that was really fun to just have like.
Speaker 3: Characters kind of you know, because it's like you don't get that in the Hitman games, so so that felt really different and unique. And of course when you're watching like a Bond movie, that happens a lot where he has people like working with him in his ear just different like players around in the party. So so that stuff was really really fun for me. But yeah, I really love the opening. Just yeah, really first couple of missions I thought were really really bangers.
Speaker 2: I like that from a game point of view. I like it visually, I think it's fun. I don't really love it in the Bond setting. I don't love anytime Bonds like doing army stuff. People don't get mad me. He comes from the army. I get that. I just like them. Bond's a spy. I don't like seeing him do. I don't like the before. So even in the movie like oh we might cover when he's a navy, it's like I don't need to see any of that, like and I don't really see Like I was fine with the other characters, but I don't need the whole like, oh, you were learning together and this and that. Like I again, that's where I get it's as origin and be oh he'll become the Bond that you know in love. I get it. But again I felt like he was still even a bit too friendly and wanted to hang out and they're playing these cars games together there. I think it was effective from a story point of view though, for this Bond where he loses them all and that's something where there's seven people and they all are either dead or now you know, maimed, and it's just like okay, now you're alone and you were the last choice. So I think that what does do good story wise? So when you had to go back to the hotel or whatever, the apartment and all their stuff still there, and even things like a card game that they were playing and it's you know, didn't finish and they were gonna fish when they got back. So I think it worked for this Bond. It's not my favorite Bond with those type of friends. I like the colleagues like Q and Moneypenny that they're friendly, but like at the end of the day, Bond would call them their friends, but this felt too much friendly. But again, it's the it's the origin, so it's done well in a bubble. I like the nightclub mission a lot, though when we go from there, that's lots of fun. So opening I thought was fine for myself. But the other missions that the whatever, the chess match, like all that stuff is good. So not my favorite aesthetic with Bond, but I think they do it well with him as a team, and I was sadly happy that they did, like kind of mission three. They're gone and we're with Bond now, and again he's not double seven yet, but they're working on it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah. We kind of talked about the multi training sections somewhat. I mean, I again, I just love that montage. I think it's very unique for like, I can't think of a game that's had of tutorial like that. Can you guys have to them like very cool, very cool, And it felt it felt very very movie like, and so obviously that's like true to kind of the character. And I don't know if there's a scene I assume there's scenes like that in some of the movies. Uh maybe not. I guess if he's like an established guy anyway, we don't even worry about that too much. But yeah, that whole sequence is good. Let's see we've talked about some of these things. Yeah, I guess to show up the nightclub mission, I guess that's kind of the first more hit manny sort of mission where there isn't like just enemies with guns all over the place, and you get to walk around. You're doing a bunch of eavesdropping, you're sneaking into areas you shouldn't be, You're you're truspassing, doing things like that, and yeah, I really like that sequence to walking around talking to your team and maybe get an intel. But then I was like, no, I have this other task. Let me do my thing. And then of course getting into like that like brawl with a guy because you were talking to his girlfriend because you were told there to look for someone in red, like.
Speaker 2: There too in the bathroom. He's not he's not slash. I was expecting one punch him. No, he could he could go. You know.
Speaker 3: Hm, it's so funny in that, like in that mission, uh at the end, I assumed it goes the same way where you meet the woman in black and then the woman in red comes and like interacts like did that happen for you guys?
Speaker 1: Also?
Speaker 2: I think I just went right to the woman in red.
Speaker 3: I don't remember a woman in black, yeah, because like you end up getting that the lady in the back room with like the touch in the back room. Oh okay, okay, so that that woman in black, and then you meet a woman in red that's like like the girl that has the boyfriend. And I was like, oh, yeah, meet me maybe outside in thirty minutes, like that was the dialogue option I chose. But then she like just comes and interacts like while you're doing that deal.
Speaker 1: Did that happen you guys?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeahay.
Speaker 1: I assume that that happened to everyone.
Speaker 3: And regardless of how that happened, I just thought it was a really comical sequence, and in that moment, I'm like, man, like, does this happen because I chose that, Like I wish there was more of that. Get like, it's a linear story, so you can't do well. I was gonna say, maybe you can't do that, but I think you can still.
Speaker 2: Well that's what even with Hitman though, you have that right where that and that's where I'd say if you are more on the dyl inside where if it is more the I on Hitman stuff, that's where I'd say you could wait for a sale for this game, because to me, this feels like hit Man light like if it like not does sound mean, but it's like hit Man for dummies where yeah, where it's like okay, other times where you might get those things where oh you do this and it causes this, not really in this game they have the whole like oh, there's different options that you could maybe go do this route, go through that door over there and get a key, or go through event, but there I feel very small and some of them always lead to the same spots, and like Dy'll mention overalls when we talk about it on after nine, it's like, yeah, I need to pickpocket someone I lasers than the eye. Oh and they there, you lays them and you're like, I'm blind, I'm blind, and you just take it and there's.
Speaker 1: Ridiculous and I can't believe that's how that works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's where again, that's where something where for me, some of the diskind with the game where I think sometimes they do lean like Kirklen said and Arcadie and more cheesy, but then they try and make it very seriously with the friends dying and Bond's very depressed. It's like if the whole game was like, oh, we're making a very slapstick like fun super Asian game, okay, But then other times it kind of pulls back and like this is serious now. So you'll have a situation where oh, I gotta pick I gotta go to this laptop. Oh but you can't, dear do because there's people nearby watching, But you gotta get this key to do it. So if you can laser a person and pickpocket them, you can't do the laptop. But none of these people around you notice that you just shot this person with a laser. It just doesn't fit in. Like I agree with Dean, where it just feels easier Hitman always, especially the new ones, do feel like a challenge. So I think they just put that in there as like the spy aesthetic. But that's something that if you're gonna do it in the second game, if they do a sequel to I think they will so far it's selling well. Is I don't think you have to be as hard as hit Man, but maybe just up a a little bit with the scenarios and the sneaking around and the stelf and we again we joke about this on after Night. You'll you can destroy fifteen people in a very not even within the rooms, like within the same area, and just walk over the still guys like yeah, man, I took my wife's dog to the ved and everything. It's just there's no kind of power scaling for the stealth. So I think they just do it in there because like, oh, you want to feel like a spy, but it's not like Hitman or not even like the Batman games. The bat like not the Lego when we talked about that was gone, but Lego Batman was very sometimes very strict on the stealf and like if you've been seen, you're gonna die. It's gonna go anti where this is you can get at stuff quite easy, so it kind of feels like a in between. That's where when I was playing the whole time, it did feel like Hitman light, you know, like missing the sugar free is the sugar free version, so which is fine, you know, but.
Speaker 3: The eavesdrops was like really just well, yeah, the laser to the.
Speaker 1: Eye very appalling.
Speaker 3: I just chose to not do that because it just felt weird to me, even though like just stabbing them with like the poison, Like it's no differ front, right, Like you can make a noise and then all of a sudden you like instantly pickpocket and it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter if anyone's around you, like like nobody sees it happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was super basic. But for me, it was like the eavesdrops because it tells you who the person to eave drop is and it shows you where to go, so it's just like you're going.
Speaker 1: To hit a to get the information.
Speaker 3: Like like it just didn't seem like I like, like give me an option to just disable that on the hut, you know, like maybe if I just randomly get into the right spot, like okay, now I can eavesdrop there, or if I happen to, like because that would happen in hit Man, right like if you're in the right place at the right time, Like like I maybe there's an indicator or.
Speaker 1: I just think that doesn't work because in this game, you like have to do that to get past that section in certain situations. Right Like, it isn't that free form of a game where it doesn't matter if you don't find that thing because you like weren't because you were looking very hard. It's like the game is just linear enough that you except for small sequences where there is more like freedom and how you solve things. But it's like you got to get this this security bracelet and there's really one way to do it. Maybe be two ways, but like it is kind of limited in that way. But yeah, I mean I think that's like I love the gadgets. I think they're fun. They feel very powerful. I do think it's ridiculous how publicly you can do them, as we just mentioned, and it's funny to me. Like the most powerful tool in hit Man, like the Hitman recent hitm Man trilogy is the seeker like poison dark gun where you shoot someone with the thing it makes them sick and then they go to the nearest bathroom or garbage and puke it up. And that's like the best way to isolate a target or regard or whatever it is, to reband in their posts or go somewhere like a bathroom that's like a hidden place where you can just execute them without it being seen in public. But and the limitation of hit Man is that if you bring down the mission, you get two shots with it. It's pretty hard to hit because it like falls with gravity super quick because it's a dark gun, not like a big pistol or something like that. And that's it. So you get two shots, you gotta make them count and they might not go where you want them to. But the fact that in this game you pretty much have like infinite use of it. Obviously you got to like collect resources and whatnot, and it's like does not alert people in public is insane to me, Like it's just you've taken the most overpowered not overpowered like they've balanced it, but you've taken the most powerful tool in the recent Hitman games and made that just like twelve times better and more free to use, which is which is just crazy. And then like the laser beam is like just as good in terms of getting through doors and things like that in a public way or stunning people. And honestly, there's things like I the camera flash one, I use it in the mission, you get it, and then I like took it off and never really put it back on. So I think with the tax sims is when I'll start to actually experiment and like figure out some of these more mechanical things because it just makes more sense. But it's like I always needed the laser things. I gotta get through doors, and then like I love I love my dark guns. I'm my poison Dark and I'm gonna use that too, And so I feel like that they need to add I don't know why they limited it so you can't can only put on three, well, it starts with two and then you eventually get a third slot you can put on later. I don't know why they did that. I even after beating the game, I can't think of a why the reason why they would limit that. And there's just like buttons, but you know, Hitman, you can carry forty eight items in your pocket, and like they find a way to make that work. So I feel like they could have done the same here. But yeah, I get so for anyone doesn't played the game, like I guess that's how the mechanic works is you have certain tools that are on like electric resource, and some that are on like a chemical chemical resource, and then as you go around the level there's you know, bottles of spray everywhere, phones, drills. You can pick up these things and it fills that specific dial and then you can just use those things pretty much freely, and normally you can get like one or two shots off of the thing before you got to recharge. But I think the problem with it is like that could make it a much more free form, open system than Hitman. But I think the reality is like when they want you to do a specific thing like laser through this door or poison dart this guy so you can pickpocket him, like they will just put the chemical or the drills on the table right next to the guy, and so it never feels like ooh, I was like I did this in a smart way. It just felt like the game wanted me to do this specific thing, and I just did what it wanted too. So I think it's an interesting evolution of like Man's mechanics of like putting things all in your pocket and putting them on like a reshared resource. But I think it honestly just screws the balance and it makes makes these things a bit too powerful. And I again, I think that what I was hoping for from Hitman fan is like I just wanted to feel smart or clever from doing a thing, and I just never really felt that way with the with the gadgets and gameplay mechanics like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did Mike did tell us in the discord that playing on the hardest difficulty and then when he swapped over to the intermeet or they Intended, he did say like the gadgets were a lot easier to find those resources and he felt more powered up. So I do want to play on the harder one and see if that is more of a punishment system where okay, you can do the start here, but now he might be out for a little bit. And that's where he did. He may sound like he was very surprised. I think he said, like the hand hand combat didn't change much for him, but the gadgets were something so awesome. We all played on Intended, so we don't know what that's like for everybody else, but I, you know, intend yeah.
Speaker 1: He Also one of the gadgets is just like an explosive miss all.
Speaker 2: The pen. Yeah, I love the pen. Yeah, might go to is the laser the pen. And then it was I love the earbuds that were the bombs. I loved spamming those.
Speaker 1: I barely use those, that's that's fun. So I gotta check those out.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were. They were just great until I got the missile because the missile pen comes later. Those were just great, like cloud like crowd clearing things. If you get to the shootout, there's three guys together, throw one, they all get days. Then you can easily just hit your combos and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So and the taxiing stuff too, like you have to buy the gadgets, which honestly did not take me that long. But then there is also like not skill tree stuff, but there is like further upgrades you can get on them, which I think reduces like the cost to use them, and maybe some other benefits as well. So it maybe seems like it evolves some of them the gadgets too, So I have to explore some more of that one I've gotten in there, because you you got like currency from beating missions that you can then use to unlock things like that. Yeah, yeah, Kirktly, But do you have a favorite gadget or a fun gadget anecdote or something like that? Uh, the pot like the poison dart phone.
Speaker 3: That was just I mean I really love that one, and it's it's very hip men like just poisoning people to get them to the like the the shit or whatever. They go puke and then you just garrot them.
Speaker 1: Uh and yeah, it it just I.
Speaker 3: Don't know that that one's see like it's still ope, but it seemed less opy than just lasering people. You're kind of forced to use the laser and it's just it's it's kind of crazy, like like the effect when it goes off to is like how does nobody fucking notice this thing going off?
Speaker 1: It's photon ray?
Speaker 3: And then just I'm a sucker for the little smoke screen, so I always brought that with me. It was good when shit hits the fan, drop that and then you're just you're like Batman, just just get to a different area. It's yeah, I I I will say I just doubling up on it. I had so much fun, just like in those moments like shit hits the Fan, and you like bum rush one guy and then it kind of like.
Speaker 1: Settles the situation.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's like, okay, how do people not really hear me just dismantle this guy? But like that stuff happens in Double of seven movies all the time, right, like like he just beats the shit out of this guy, smashes his head on like against the wall, and someone right around the corner even hear them. But all all of that stuff was really fun, like like whether it's like, holy shit, I think stuff's gonna hit the fan here, and then you drop some smoke screen or whatever, like just re route and yeah, balancing with the gadgets was really fun on top of the hand to hat hand to hand combat.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. And maybe with that we'll actually let's take our last ad break. We'll be right back. Okay, we are back. Yeah. I kind of want to segue this into talking about the first bigger mission of the game, which is the the Chess tournament car pathon Mountains that that whole section which I think I talked about this when we did that coverage of that showcase, but I really like that this is the first i'll say, major mission of this game. Carpathian Mountains because the last mission and hit Man three is the Carpathian Mountains. It's a very different kind of mission, but I just really like that. I think that's just a very cute, little kind of Easter egg moment. And also it's like the setting is like a chess tournament, which like there's a a mission or two and hit Man that is kind of all about chess and taking out like a chess guy and stuff. So I don't know, there's just certain things that felt like kind of going back to some of their favorites. I mean, even the club is extremely reminiscent of the underground nightclub mission in hit Man three in Berlin, so that was kind of fun as well to have like a different variation on some of that stuff.
Speaker 2: They love the nightclub missions because there's one of blood Money too. Yeah, it's a staple, and even Kana Lynch has I think there's one big set piece too, because I know, you just murder everybody's cane. So yeah, they love their nightclubs.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, and then yeah, I mean this mission is, like I said, kind of the most hit manny and that there's like it starts out with how do you get in the building, and you have like multiple ways you can do this. You can go like a key card, grow it through security, you can sneak around the one side, and like you can start a fire to distract people, and then like climb through these things on the side, so you can do all these fun different things, and then it feels like you can have a few options, Like at one point you got to get down to the laundry room, and there's like a few different ways you can kind of sneak in to get in there as well. And so this mission is definitely the highlight for me, definitely my favorite in the game, maybe not like visually, although visually it does a gorgeous cool map. I think there's just more unique locations. But I did really enjoy this one thing too. Like in Hitman, they have the enforcers of like the NPCs that can see through your disguises are always kind of keeping out for you. I really like thematically how you're not you're supposed to be to the chauffeur, you're not supposed to be in this building. And so the enforcers on this map, other than like like guards and like prohibited areas, are like your members of the team. You're I six members and they're just around the party and you're not supposed to walk past that.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 1: So I just I love that idea. I think that's that's a really cool, a cool thing. And yeah, in general, I just I really love this mission. It goes all sorts of places, whether it's going to the upper floors. The laundry room is a you know, it was a fun section, but then there's a one of the tax Sims is a heightened, even harder version of that launder room. And now only Io can make me a huge fan of a laundry room sequence in a game, because now I've really grown attached to the level designing there is so intricate and really great, so excited to see what other ones in Taxims really gives me more appreciation for what felt like a small, like nothing area before, but it's now like a really interesting lead designed level. But I mean from start to finish, like you know, after that, obviously there's the car chase, the plane sequence, all that stuff, which kind of was in the trailer to be fair. You get the fight in like the wine cellar as well, which I was just run around spamming wine bottle throwing. Oh it's like all I was doing in that sequence because I was getting crushed in the hand to hand so many wine bottles. So you're talking about, what's that sorry, like when you're fighting the twins and then yeah, exactly, yeah, man, it's because, yeah, you have to like do like a proper combo, like like at least multiple hits on one guy to like even break their shield or whatever. And what I was at one point, I was literally just one punch on one of them and then I would go to the other target and one punch on him and they wouldn't go down.
Speaker 3: So I literally was just I'm not even kidding. I did that for like twenty plus times, and I was just laughing to myself watching the seats where I would just punch one of them and then punch the other one and like it like I've just stunlocked them, like like they like they couldn't recover fast enough, so they're just like bouncing off and then and then we're getting knocked out. It was just such a comical, uh sequence of events. And then and then eventually, yeah, you do like the the combo to kind of break them, do or like grab them and then and then give them a couple of hits there. But yeah, in that moment, man, I was laughing so hard to itself, just just chain these punches and they were just knock going down, just taking these fists of the face.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. So I mean that that whole that whole mission is just fantastic. It's great for me. Is the peak of the game. I don't know any any other thoughts on that sequence that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 3: No, I like a layered That level is like you said, like you started, is just the chowfeur and it's like, oh, what's that guy doing? And then you investigate and it's like okay, I gotta get in there. And then it just one thing leads to the other. I like hel Monro like ends up helping you out and it's like, hey, we can't tell Cressida. So there's like just a bunch of layers to things that are going on. I like like how it's like, hey, we gotta do this, Like this guy is playing a bomb or somewhere, like all of a sudden, it gets like really ramped up the intensity. Yeah, I think it's a really really just perfectly paced level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably the best one story wise too, because all of them have story, but you're just getting multiple layers of bonds starting out all agents out there they're looking for Double oh nine. But then there's this bomb where they introduce the twins, and there's the twist at the end with the bomb. So I think it's the one that's propelled the most with the characters in the story.
Speaker 1: So yeah, definitely, And I guess yeah, talk about a little bit more about the hand hand combat. You know, obviously a part of it is it's so environment based of like smashing people into walls or into each other, or throwing them over ledges, throwing them just over whatever it is, picking up things and throwing them like at one point you like grab a keyboard and smacky smack a guy over the head, which I which I really like the visual of and just fun Like most spoke moments like that's rather than just having like a inventory full of random crap like you do in Hitman, it's just random crap in the environment and you just very easily kind of lock onto a and chuck it at his head. Travis, obviously, this is a classic kind of like, oh, when there's a yellow attack, you can parry that one. There's a red attack, you can't. You gotta dodge that one. But what is it about the combat that kind of elevated it beyond just so many other games that have a combat system that it is quite similar to this, Like why did you love it so much?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like I said, for me, the other the Spider Man, the Batman, the Lord of the Rings, they feel so kind of surgical and then kind of makes sense for those characters Superhero these nights, and especially with this to its bonds starting out. So in that sense, it's even the counters and the movements, it's very people are tripping all of each other, they're following. When you can throw one guy into another, there is like a little you know, kind of ricochet to oh, they bump into each other and they're not knocked out, but they just you can, if I see a guy's coming, I okay, I go to take him out, throw them out over there. So I think it just had a sense of realism to it. It felt like a guy where those other people I mentioned, you know, billionaire Superhero train Forever, Spider Man has superhuman power, is a knight that has like this sword and whatever Elvin Elvish guy with them. This did feel like, okay, it is a trained soldier, but it is also just a guy, and all these people are just the guys. I think that is a little bit difference, where like when you fight the Twins, it does feel okay, you've got to nail that the timing of the the I think they say like the layered counter that type of stuff. So there's certain boss spells that do feel like okay, it is like a classic fight. But that's what I love. Where again they brought that into the Daniel Craig movies of it feels very rough and kind of dirty in a good way. Yeah, scrappy does not feel so fluid, which inspierment. I like where it's like boom boom, and Batman jumps over hits that and then he jumps over hit that. This is not that sort of way, and it feels like there is times where you are not like, of course I've lost this Batman Inspiderman. There's times where you feel overwhelmed us where like okay, I'd really got to just bolt over this like cabinet and just try to buy best and look for kit Is there something in the throw? Is there not? How am I gonna do this? And especially too when you do have a combo of the guns and the fighting when people get close. So yeah, I think that's what is just the realism aspect of it, and it's tons of fun and I feel like they also make a good job for the the actual fighting kind of mini bosses. They put you in a fun environment where some games might just be like you're just gonna be in a room, like if it's a cell, but you're just like in the room and cell. But this feels like specifically designed for we want this fight, even though I think story wise it was cheesy, like to fight with Monroe. When it starts off, you're in a very close like clauserphobic, a kind of like hall closet situation. So when you're fighting, you're gonna bang up against the wall. And I think that's what was great too. It's just the mechanics around where mid fight, it's not like some cool attack you can take a guy, throw them over a rail, throw him into something else, you can throw them in something it gets electrocuted. Just all the environmental stuff that way was working good because againy or a character that does kill people. So no, again just fluid and some realism to it.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well said, uh yeah, definitely good points.
Speaker 1: I like I think it would.
Speaker 3: Being like a little too hard on the combat because I do appreciate the scrappy nature to it, Like what you said, I like that you can just grab objects, throw it at people like that you can just bum rush someone, throw them in the wall, grab someone, throw them into someone else. When you grab someone and like it's just like that that like that pov of you just like running somewhere, Like there's not like it's not like it's like a static distance that you push them right, like you kind of just go until you either like lose balance or you just hit something. There's many times too, where like maybe you're trying to stealth, you can just grab someone and like push them into a door and like the door will open, so you kind of just like throw them into another room.
Speaker 1: Like I like that layer to it.
Speaker 3: I think just because like man I was doing my reps in the taxim, I did so much just like identifying those perry timers. No I went to dodge, so I just got like so tired of like seeing like like the color indicator. I think that's another thing that like I kind of wish if you play on like the purest difficulty, like you just don't get hut indicators like that. I think that would be kind of a fun challenge. I played on intended, so I can't really like talk like it like it's so easy, like maybe I should.
Speaker 2: They might because they can't remember a spiremen. But I know, like the Arkham Games, you could do that where you could turn them off and that's where you could time it, so they might have those, even though I sucked at timing the evade. Really that was my weak point was red. I just was always getting caught and thrown the.
Speaker 3: Other animation always because they just like all do this like football like linebacker.
Speaker 2: They're all something like they just take their body transforms and something like no one. No one would naturally a fight just like like like charge themselves up to jump. You would just jump forward. But that would throw me off and I'd be like, oh damn it, they got me again, you know exactly.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: That's the one that really tripped me up because like when they go into that, they essentially have like super armor and it takes longer than your punch, so so many times they go into that I throw a punch, I hit them in the face, but they just kind of go right through it. And I think that was like my really only issue with the combat system is that is a specific interaction, but there's other ones too where it just felt like I've hit this guy, or like I have grabbed this guy, but then somehow like his attack just kind of went through mine. And so there was a lack of precision that bothered me sometimes. But then I think again, it's like going through the taxim stuff and just like learning about mechanics that I didn't even know were occurring by like forcing you to do them and kind of perfecting them. And one of them is like, here, go through this mission and don't get hit once. And I haven't done that yet, but it's like, oh, okay, I I I that's a fun challenge to really and you can't shoot in that mission. You can use your gadget, but like you really just got to perfect the combat system. Uh, And I've gotten close a couple of times, and that's like really satisfying. So yeah, I think it is the taxi and stuff that's really giving me more of an appreciation for that stuff, and I'm getting better at recognizing like okay, even though it is a bit janky that, like I punched this guy and he goes through the attack, I am starting to acknowledge like when those things happen, and once you know when they happen, you can kind of just avoid it obviously. But I definitely need to get better at dodge timing. And I'm like a dodge guy like in Dark Souls. I've never parried once in my life. I am a dodger tried, and Tru'm a roller. I don't know this the little one either. I do the full role.
Speaker 2: I love a big role, Tolose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't know why get close skill is natural in this game to me, but yeah, I I do feel like there is that level of mastery there and you just yeah, I love the scrappiness to your point there, Travis. Yeah, I don't think I've much to say about the gunplay. Like it's it's fun, it feels good, feels much better than Hitman, feels more action y. I like you have a very limited AMMO, so you're kind of busting through things. I love that you can do the John Wick style chuck your gun at someone's face, especially when you combine that with like the way you can like run over a ledge, kick a gun out of someone's hand, grab a gun, shoot someone, chuck the gun at someone else. Like when you combo those things together and they flow seamlessly, it is extremely satisfying and very cinematic, and it feels like I want that John Wick game that is announced to be like this, and just like add a few more layers on topic. This does very much feel john WICKI in that way like chucking guns at people's faces is like, just for me, a very john Wick thing.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad you shut it up because there's so many times where you get a gun and you're enjoying it, but it runs out and they'll do the thing where there's always other guns but none of them are the same guns, so you're not getting AMMO. But like you said, it is especially it's like john Wick Chapter four where it's boom boom boom guns out, throw it another one boom boom, fight boom boom.
Speaker 1: Like when you have run and pick up a gun by kicking it off the ground into your hand.
Speaker 2: Yes, awesome and even stuff like you can vault over stuff and do a vault kick. Like that's where I agree with you. The people that are making john Wick for the thatype, the the chaotic, you know, a to b what they do for the fighting gun playing this it should have that esthetic, maybe even better. But I love that. Okay, a couple of clips onto the next gun and also has like cause I get that too. Where I find a gun, I like it. I'll just keep that. But it forces you to play with all of a sudden, you got a machine gun, You're back to a pistol, you got a shotgun. All you got is like a bolt action rifles, like, okay, I'll use this. So it kind of like it makes a choose your own venture, but you're not choosing it. It's just whatever is on that And sometimes too you might look around. Other times I'm just picking up whatever I can. Like there is a couple of times where like there's so many dudes I can't think about, Oh would this be the gun I want? No, I just gotta start shooting some knee caps and move on, you know.
Speaker 1: And especially what you guys are saying of the stealth and like NPC's hearing stuff. The awareness, I guess is not realistic, and it's not like hit Man either, Like it's a way more forgiving, and that kind of works for me. Sometimes I'll go into the room like, yeah, I'm just gonna gun through this room because I know it's not gonna alert every enemy on this map in the way hit Man is hit systemic in that way, one guy will go tell his buddy, and then his buddy will tell the other guy, and then you put the radar on and you see that there's thirty guys that are going against you. Like that does not happen in this game. So I feel like more incentivized to yeah, I'll just run and gun for a little bit. Or I love stealth. I love sneaking up on guys and hitting X and getting a free killing them or square whatever it is. So I'll do that all day long, and especially with Io and their design of stealth and mechanics and level design and all that. But I really feel like I was playing this in a hybrid sense of going through and trying things out, and yeah, it was. It was really fun with that. The next section of the game is the aleft. I think I'm pronouncing that section which is kind of in the desert sand areas where we've got Lenny going on. There's a section where you got to make some money, so you go do some some fighting. There's sections on boats later, so it's a pretty big section, although it doesn't feel like it's designed in that one cohesive Hitman way. It's just you're going from set piece to set piece area. But yeah, what did you guys? Uh, what do you guys think of this section of the game.
Speaker 2: My favorite section of the game everything from doing because when they're like all the fighting pits, it's free make money, Like I beg get to go on those fighting pits, which was crazy to beat the hammer you. I didn't know this the whole time. He's playing clean, but I accidentally used the gadget on him and I won. I thought that should be highly illegal to use your watch and the fighting pit. But they're just like, you're a really good fighter. But it's like I just lasered this guy's head off.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they give you sixty K to flashbanger guy. That feels a little like, yeah, so come on.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I love the setting. I love the idea of oh you gotta go make this money, whether it's the fighting pits, whether it's the jewels, whether it's meeting this like black market dealer that's like buying paintings but maybe weapons. I enjoyed that because that feels like much like the club mission, but that feels like Bond espionage work. Hey, Bond's in one situation. He has some like backup, but not too much back as far as in my six like you can't say everything and the way that ends, as far as you're like even when you're doing the bidding and you're doing stuff and you're throwing information again, you all lead the same point. But I think that was probably my favorite level, not just because the lending crowdits meme. I just liked the area and I liked that that story of okay, it collect some money where you don't really do that the rest of the game, Like you mentioned, Dylan, there's one layer on where it's like the where the villa or the resort is like that's super disappointing, where it's just like go find three people, talk to them. It's like, oh, here's the thing, and you just move on. You're like, I didn't need any of this, where this actually felt like okay.
Speaker 1: That was such a disappointing you know, we'll that in a future episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spoiler.
Speaker 1: That was such a disappointing area.
Speaker 2: I think this mission is the better version of that because you it's a similar thing where you're going to different places and doing multiple things, but they all have a different flair and you don't have to do all those things either because you can make the amount of money and go somewhere else and do something else. So yeah, that was probably my favorite other than some like just solo action set pieces. That was my favorite overall level in this game.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, Yeah, yeah, this was This was a really fun sequence. I like, I think there's two chapters in this sequence. Like I think like the back half when you're doing like the boat stuff, that's yeah chapter, but like like just going like where even are like where we're in a left? Where is that Egypt? Something like that You're you're somewhere in the deserts Yeah, I don't know, but just going there on the on what the hell am I trying to say? The vehicle I guess that you're driving in on with Greenway and like I just wasn't expecting to be on a mission with Greenway, Like I thought, okay, broken arm, He's gonna be like, hey, I'll see you later, and then you never interact with that character again until like the end of the mission or something.
Speaker 1: It was kind of fun that he's just like with you.
Speaker 3: It's like, hey, you gotta go get one hundred grand. It's like, okay, I guess so, and yeah, I just wasn't expecting. It's like, oh, my task is to actually just make money here, and and that's what you're trying to do. And I like the just yeah, how in rereading the areas are I do really like like the shipyards that you're going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that. In that next session classic gameplay shooting out gallery like that combo stuff, I yeah, really really fun, well designed.
Speaker 3: And just just really beautiful setting. Like I like the here, here's a here's a pull. This area really reminded me of Jack three out of the Jack and Daxter series. They're just that world. It just looked like this aesthetic, just like desert y, rusty sequences. You're driving around a lot in that in that game, and in this you're like going through the shipyard like in your vehicle, like after you get away from the Alligator sequence with with Lenny when he.
Speaker 1: Lets you go.
Speaker 3: But yeah, all of that and in between was really really fun. Yeah. No, it's just a good balance of kind of everything that's that's fun in this game.
Speaker 1: Good, good, good dialogue.
Speaker 3: I thought the cutscenes overall too that I've interact with have been pretty okay like that, It's not like the really cringey stuff that's going on. I feel like a really vibing with it. And yeah, Lenny's intro man, especially when he grabs the mic, Like he grabs the mic and I'm like okay, but I'm like, yeah, he's just gonna start to get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun character. Really liked him. My only I agree with you guys. I really like this sequence as well. I think this is really when you get more into extensive like gunplay and stuff, and so yeah, I really liked all that. My one complain or annoying section in here was when you finally get the money and you go up and do the auction. I put the controller down because you're kind of just watching things occur. But then at one point you have to fuck with the guy's machines that he gets caught as a liar and they throw him out, and I didn't know who they were talking about. Uh, so I didn't. I picked up controller, didn't really get it in time, couldn't figure out which guy was supposed to use it on, and then I had to reload the save and I had to read that whole sequence, which something I was so pissed. Yeah that's brutal. Yeah, so things like that kind of annoying. I think that honestly in general, I don't know if this game needed dialogue options, Like, I think I would have been fine if it just did did the dialogue. I mean, you know, when I'm talking to someone and I can ask the multiple questions or I can just go to the mission, that stuff's fine. But when it's giving you like options and again it tells you like two words, but then he says like multiple sentences, so I don't even know what my guy's gonna say anyway, just like, just pick the best line and put it in the game. I don't I don't need to pick man like.
Speaker 3: Just especially if there's not like consequences if you choose if you choose it incorrectly, right like, like I like, I don't know, maybe I say this and then the mission's gonna go a different route, like that would be really cool.
Speaker 1: So like I'm not excited to play ability there. Yeah, exactly, I'm not excited to play that again and see, oh I can't wait to see, like what, It's just not that kind of game.
Speaker 2: And there is throughout like whether it's a resort mission, there's other things. There is multiple times in this game that is very much like the MJ missions and Inspire Man where it's like a second play through. I'm not really gonna be looking forward to playing this part right. Luckily, there is like a chapter select in the menu, so I don't think you'd have to be at the same time when I replay this would I would likely mostly play it from the start again as on the harder difficulty. So there's just section and I think that happens at almost not every level, but I say, let's say if there's ten, let's say I'll say fifty percent of these levels have something where you go if you're not playing for the first time, Like even the Dylan there's one near the finale. This isn't anything crazy. Here's climbing a mountain a lot, but it's nothing challenging. You're just like jumping from wedge ledge to climb, and it's just like this could be a cutscene, you know, like I have a couple of climbs and that's it. So I'll be curious on a replay if I'll have that drive boar it will just be I'll just stick to the taxims because I do want to do that. And like I said, this would be a perfect Hey when Bond's coming out on the mood, I'd love to replay the story. But is that the stuff that's going to slow me down? When I know and it's like, ah, dude, I need to do all this type of stuff and set up again, so it will be interesting how it ages, but also in a first run not as bad because your experience off for the first time, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean that's that's that's why I was hoping, like maybe that's what the tax Siams would be. Is like here's the carpet thing, mountain that area, right, and it takes away the driving section before and after it takes away like the boss fight, right, and it's just like here's just the whole building and there's like maybe a couple of different ways you can engage with it and try out these different mechanics. Yeah, that's not really what those are either. So if I want to redo play that sequence, am I gonna have to like do the part where I drive up slowly to the building every time? Or can I skip past that? Like I am curious to see kind of how that stuff is implemented or if that is something they do with like I said, with the tax sims, or like once a month they added a new thing, which again remember Hitman twenty sixteen when it first came out wasn't episodic game when they released like one mission a month.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, which is tough because I feel like it's almost like how it's off topic but on topic We're CEE Project where it was like, hey, which you're four, We're not doing DLC, We're going to bitch you're five? Which or six?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel like that about the Bond thing, that maybe they'll get a couple add ons, but I think they'll be more interested in, like let's get James Bond two out and not the add ons, right, because they think there's more like money in it versus it's honestly.
Speaker 1: Just like looking at the menu because you open it up in there, like I forget what they're called cloak one of them, I think it's called Operations, and then what's the other thing in taxim called it's like the one that has like the three tiers to it. I forget the name they have for it, challenge. It's not called the challenge. It's something like that. And those ones there's like six or seven, like it feels like a meaty amount, like sorry, sorry, it seems like the perfect amount. But then the operations there's two of them, and to me that was like, Okay, that feels like very small. It feels like that they've put that there so they can drop in like larger chunks later to and you know, not new levels, but just breaking up the levels that we've had before, like that one Travis that were hinting both hinting at that was the oldest pointing for us, Like it feels like maybe there's an opportunity for that. So we'll see, we'll see if they end to do something like that. If they do, I'll definitely jump back in, like the way I constantly come back to Hitman and probably play for Freelancer, and I've played, you know, something like the Miami level, probably like one hundred times or something like I will do that where you know, these missions don't have quite that level of depth, but honestly, they're so good at adding little bespoke, tiny things that change the level so rastically, so hopefully they do some things like that. I guess, you know, this is kind of just a mini show because there's so many interstitial sections between the moments we're talking about, or maybe you go back to I six, maybe you go back to the lab for a bit, or you go back to the apartment. At one point, the apartment like turns into a big rooftop chase that leads you into the gala, And I think all that stuff is really well paced, Like it just it takes you from thing to thing, gives you like a little bit of a breather. Maybe it's a moment to talk with a character, get some backstory stuff, but then you're kind of right back into the fray. And so yeah, I mean I like that that rooftop chase sequence. That was fun. I enjoyed that. And I don't even remember where I guess that's right before the gala section. But yeah, I just think the game is like well paced of like in between the bigger levels. Here's like smaller little you know, rather linear sections that you know are fun. Probably wouldn't be fun a second time, to be fair, but at least through the first time through, we're a good little breakup of the bigger levels. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think you're right. I think overall game is good pacing only thing and you remind me won't go into because it happens more at the end. I think what they need to work for in the second game the boss battles, because man, there's one boss battle here that was one of the most like Kevin McAlister, like, how do I beat this guy?
Speaker 1: And yeah our dog Shito?
Speaker 2: Yeah not good? So that that definitely I felt my score ticking down when I was playing these battles, like especially.
Speaker 1: Like sense either it's like what are what are we doing that?
Speaker 2: Then the villains turned into Harry and Marv. They're like running after a kid. It's like you're grown man and James Bond's grown man. Like at that point I'd rather just like just make him a harder hand and combat boss guy, you know, at that point, just make it you got a time your cameras even more so, he's gonna throw like five at you. Like, just do that, even if it's lame, just go that instead of there's one that's super gregious. I don't think has got too yet. And it's uh, I've.
Speaker 3: Only done the one, like the one twin that you that you just have to not that one. Yeah, yeah, just gadgets basically going off and right, I got two doubt like there's you have to get him with three gadgets. Essentially he's walking like r Kadie and he's walking around with his.
Speaker 2: Gun and he just keeps walking around assassin in the world.
Speaker 1: But I like ran at him on the last one.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, I could probably just get his bar down with like a punch, right like I used two gadgets.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. He just counters me.
Speaker 3: He like points his gun right at my face, and then I end up just just turning and running away. He shoots you like a couple of times. It was just such a goofy sequence, like oh, okay, I'm gonna go hide, and then he's like where are you? And then he just runs underneath like a chandelier that I just trigger with my fucking dark You'll.
Speaker 2: Know when you gets it. The other one's worse than that. It's if you think that was goofy, there's one that's super goofy. And then again, that's where I would honestly wouldn't mind if they made the whole game, like I said, more silly, because if people like Daln't doesn't know Roger Moore's Bond was a very comedic bond. All his movies were very tongue in cheek and almost not a parody, but like close to it. And that's where if the whole game was like that, like Okay, yeah, sure we can do this kind of fun. Boss Bat was like doing this in the Little hyjriinks, but when it's in this world, it's like this guy has nuclear codes or an AI machine and this is how you beat him. It's like, all right, like I just meagined, I'm sitting there watching a movie. It's just because it's in the game. I get that. But that's they need to work on it. Plus, like hit Man games have that occasion, but they're not also like Boss Battle driven, right, it's usually at the end or even when I played back in the day, it was like one per game, and they could kind of make it special. There wasn't it was the mission, so it is new stuff for this team, right, so I gotta understand that, but uh, you know, they gives them stuff to do for the sequel, so mm hmmmmm. Uh.
Speaker 1: And then I think the last two things we can talk about without spoiling things for Kirkling, which we don't want to do, is the gala, the you know, going from the rooftop sequence down to here where there's you know, a musical performance going on, which is fun when you ever you go back into the main like ballroom area and you can just kind of listen to the music. You got to go through, uh, get into some security areas, you got to go through, like a IT tech zone, which is kind of some more stealth, uh, trying to think what else happens you go up on the rooftop at one point you're kind of going all over this building. You know, it's it's a little bit more of an open things feels like there are like multiple solutions for a certain things. So this is still in the part of the game where there's a bit more of like the hitmanny DNA, and then the sections after this like kind of completely do away with any sort of free form gameplay, I feel like, but again, I really like this sequence. You know, it's not quite as extensive as the Carpathian Mountain mission, but I still really enjoyed it. That joke really got me. The museum door inspector thing. I really like the stealth sequence to Like the office area I thought was really really fun. So yeah, I quite enjoyed that scene, and like the it feels very hit many of the things you gotta like get a camera from a photographer and then like take it through this area and then obviously I'm just using darts and laser beams to get through half the things anyway, But you know, still I had a fun time going through that that whole sequence, So yeah, shout outs to that mission. Yea, any thoughts on that one, guys.
Speaker 3: I really like the setting. I like the just the museum. There's a lot of stealth that you kind of have to do more so than than other Like, you know, you got a little of stealth and all these missions, but I feel like that one was the most, Like, Okay, I gotta kind of think about my routes here just because the camp are kind of introduced here, I believe, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, just overall, I thought it was really.
Speaker 3: Fun like there is a couple of little different zones that you have some skirmishes, and uh, there's one that's just like a bunch of like it's just near a bunch of like artwork and just grabbing people and throwing them into this priceless you know artifact.
Speaker 1: It's just it's so.
Speaker 3: Satisfying, just just breaking glass of people's heads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no fun. I think it's just like for me, like a similar to the chess one, but just a little below that but still good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh and then really we're getting down to it. I think my last notes here, Oh one, Hitman World Assassination one of the great games of all time. The only thing that holds it back from being a perfect game is the fuck game always online component of the game. And for whatever the fuck reason, they've done that shit again here in this game, it's like less egregious that I think you don't. I don't think you lose unlocks. Maybe you doing the tax sims, but that's like.
Speaker 2: I didn't play online the whole time because I screwed up my sign in, So even when I beat the game, Taxians was still locked and I had to go sign in. But I beat the whole game offline. No, no, no, no, Luckily it was it triggered it, okay, yeah, it was like, oh, you've beat the game, you're good to go, but yeah, you can't play it offline luckily.
Speaker 1: So it makes no sense whatsoever for a single player game. I hate that they've built their games with this framework, and it's just gonna at some point these games will just be unplayable because they're tied to these servers that are some day going to go down. And that is so stupid and pissed me off. And it's so annoying when you're playing this game and it's like, oh, you just connected, you got to reconnect. It's quick, it's quicker than load times. I'm dying, but still it's annoying as heck. And I hate it so much, and I don't know why they do it. And I think all they saw was one million people complaining about how stupid it is and hit Man, and I can't believe they did it again for this game, which feels even more agree just to have something like this, just less challenges and online sinking and like you know, cross platform stuff like that like hit Man has had. So I can't fathom why they would do that again, so that obviously deserves a huge black mark on what is otherwise a great game. Is like, I just don't know why the fuck they did this stupid always online thing again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny. I never had to log in or anything once I said no at the beginning. It never asked me the whole time. I had to physically go on the menu and do it myself. So when you say, like, oh, you had to every once in a while and that reload never happened.
Speaker 1: I mean, maybe maybe it's not as much of it. I guess I'm so trained like a fucking dog from playing Hitman, Like if I don't do this, I'm gonna lose out on on locks and progression and stuff, which that sounds like is the case for taxing. So I guess it's fine if I didn't do it for the main game, So I guess I could have done that. So that's a good shout out. But uh yeah, just ridiculous that they decided to do that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got I got booted offline a couple of times. I ended up just going along with it. But when it like told like at the fair beginning, when you first booted it up. It's like, this is a single player game. You can play it offline, but like it's better if on your you're online. I'm like, what is this be like any level of Like it doesn't tell you why there's gonna be like And I think it's just because of the taxim unlocks, like you get challenges on the levels. But yeah, very I guess it's just an Iowai thing. So at this point it's just expected for all their future titles, but very bizarre.
Speaker 1: Sadly, and that's true. Yeah, I think my last note, I'll just say I'll just say Travis one im talk About'm gonna say the word lorca if you know, you know it's great. And other than that, I think that's maybe all my notes. You guys have any other thoughts that we haven't talked about yet.
Speaker 2: I'm good here.
Speaker 1: No, Well, watch do you guys choose? Do you remember what color?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think the red and game red and green.
Speaker 3: I was the second from the right. It was like a gray and orange.
Speaker 1: I think I think I did a yellow like I did, like a black yellow one that kind of just match like the it's like the box art of the game, almost physical copy, but I just felt like that fit the the vibe of the game.
Speaker 2: I kind of thought you're gonna I kind of thought you're gonna do that the whole thing, and that you're gonna pick your suit and your shoes and everything.
Speaker 1: You get in attack SAMs, you you have a bunch of outfits from and you can put skins on your weapons and gadgets and stuff.
Speaker 2: That's one critique for me in the main game. Bond's on a suit enough. I get it, he's not double seven, he's not a suit enough.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of like he's wearing like the finale sequences, like.
Speaker 2: I get why, but it was like, it's I don't know that that. That's what I think is unfortunate. There wasn't any looking here those like iconic, whether you like it or not, when people see the Spider Man PS four logan that they know, okay, that's PS four Spider Man. I wish they had some suit or something here that's like, oh, that is the first light suit or whatever. They didn't really have that here, or even a car or anything like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I love Bond in a turtle neck though, and he definitely wears that for at least a mission and in attacks him like the first outfit you can unlock.
Speaker 1: I know because I went in there and there's a good like twenty outfits in the taxi you can choose from.
Speaker 3: There's there's a lot, but the one that I chose was just the turtleneck with the gun holster, because that's.
Speaker 2: Just that's from No Time to Die. That's the Daniel Craig. That's the one he dies in.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but yeah, A lot of the a lot of the mission chapter titles were clearly references to different movies, which.
Speaker 2: The trophies as well. Too big. They're all like song titles or whatnot. So that that was fun to Again, that's where if you're Bond fan, this game is made with a lot of love, very similar Lego Batman, where they know their stuff. And that's where like even for my fun, I guess like to say where I am, I have no notes, but where I am I would put this game at like an eight. I think it's like a game I'm probably more like in the seven seven point five, But I will say that most time they capture the Bond magic, so I give them the eight. If you can get that Bond magic of feeling like you're in that world watching movie. That's where it goes. Not every level play is great and everything goes together. I have some issues with the Bond character and some of the like we talked about the beginning of the villain just even storyline just kind of man, it's very right, this is fine. There's some few fun sequences I agreed to them that I think the back half for the most part, is a bit weaker. There's some highlights. Still, again there's nothing that's awful. But that's where I'm at, like an eight, because that magic there for the Bond game and there to the point though where if they make the second that make the second one, I'll be there. They got my trust there and I hope that they can improve on things. But still is a very fun time overall. So I think as a Bond fan, if you've gone this far and you're on the fence, I think it's kind of even if you don't have the money, then put on your wishless in the future. It's a it's a must play if you like the franchise at all.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it was the Pierce reference early on in the game.
Speaker 1: Travis.
Speaker 2: There, Oh, there's a good one. Where it's the second time you go back to the Q lab they have that the ball that they blow up and avalanche. Yeah, and he said, why would I ever be in an avalanche? Like, oh, you never know, because that happens. Pierce's skiing and a whole avalanche happens, and he has a suit where he just pulls like this thing and it makes a whole just like foam what whatever ball that is, and it saves them of course, right, so there was Again that's why it's at eight because if you can put in that stuff and you love the franchise even then too. They even made kind of a joke about him not being James Bond when him and whatever her name is, like oh yeah, so they're like, oh, your name is Jane Bond. He's like, oh no, it isn't. He's like, oh yeah, I didn't think so. Because that's People like that theory, which this game doesn't do. People like the theory that James Bond all of them are different people, right, They're not one guy and it's redone. It's like every time you die, if I dined Dale becomes double seven, now you get the name of James Bond. Like that's what it is, so they kind of have like a little like that, and that's never been confirmed, but that's like a fun like, Okay, throw that Easter egg into this game and we'll go with it. So yeah, there's a lot of love in this game, so.
Speaker 3: Totally yeah, kirklam Any closing thoughts here, closing thoughts, Yes, of course I haven't rolled credits on it yet, so it's an ongoing venture. I don't want to say I'm worried, but I'm definitely a little bit interested on what the dip is and these next cup the levels because you guys said, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think it's a mass yeah.
Speaker 1: Bad. I just think it's very generic and like linear and kind of basic.
Speaker 3: Right the peak is in the middle, Okay, Yeah, I mean it's been good so I've been riding that peak, so yeah, I'm still enjoying it. I think, Yeah, like after I roll credit, I don't think I would right away go through and replay it. But I think it's just like a solid spy adventure like action game. I think it is really really fun. It's got a really good balance of everything that I like out of the genre. Honestly, it makes me like want to go play Uncharted again because I'm like, man, like these games like we're actually really fun going through a story. I think the puzzles are better and uncharged too, like just I don't know, maybe it's super basic. It's been a while since I played, Like I jump back into the first game a.
Speaker 1: Year or so ago. There's a math puzzle in this game that fucked me up big time.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, I mean I got I brought Emily into the the the number one.
Speaker 1: Is I needed no pad and paper. I needed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah that one right, like number one is one and two is yeah, yeah, I brought Emily and they're talking about the wars. I'm like, all right, let's let's think because at first I fucked it ups.
Speaker 1: Like there is there is a way you can just not do it. There's like another way around that sequence, thankfully, but I was like, I do want to solve this, like I want to I want to practice my mask.
Speaker 2: Hey maybe that's one thing too, with those situations. I know you collect like little cards and stuff. Second game, maybe make that that you can utlog suits or more upgrades to weapons, because they just kind of felt like, okay, cool, I'm finding like Deck of cards and stuff, but it's nothing like, oh man, I like, I never felt too reward of like getting in a say for somewhere where it's like, oh, this is a different area, And I never got like even though it was skins for guns or something. And maybe there is some of that, but I just never felt like there was.
Speaker 1: Reward in games like they wanted all that to be the taxim stuff. So that makes me wonder how much more they're gonna add to that, because even with like taxim stuff, it's like, oh, there's like one SMG you can buy. It's not like there's like hundreds of weapons or anything like it's pretty it's pretty basic.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but yeah, if I like in progress rating, I think I'm I think I'm hovering around that eight point five eight point seventy five, like in that realm not quite good enough to hit the nine. But overall, just across the board, I think it's just super super solid and uh yeah, very fun James Bond game, which is which is great, great to be getting right all these years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when I play that Quantum of Solis game, Travis, I.
Speaker 2: Love, Yeah, I love that game, you know, And even then it's a third This is a third person bond game, which is a bit more rare, like very rare on the franchise, right, so right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's it's hard for me to give a number for this one because I feel like the taxi stuff is really like my ball will wax, and I feel like I'm just getting into that. So it's hard for me to give a number, like even like there's fun like speed run challenges in there, or beat this mission without like shooting a gun, beat this mission without doing any gadgets. It's like, man, are you playing these missions over and over again, like trying to do them in different ways? That is what I was looking for? Or like what maybe I was looking for what I was hoping for from that Hitman dy and a stuff. So I feel like I am just getting into some more juicy things in that way. But again, it doesn't seem like there's a ton of missions to be done there. I'm already you know, I've already done a good amount of them, So it's hard for me to put a number on this. Maybe I'll chuck a maybe I'll chuck like a seven point seven seven yeah double o seved, you know, I'll just do seven point zero zero seven. How does that sound perfect? That feels kind of too low, but whatever, it's just with me anyway. I'll update my score if I feel like it once we are further in this game. But yeah, I'm excited to play more of this. I'm definitely gonna go pretty deep on this taxim stuff, assuming it has legs for it, and we'll report back on all of that. Maybe when Kirkland has beat it, we can I don't know when we would do it on side Quest. We'll find a time where maybe we could talk through, maybe do a little last story spoiler section or something like that. And Travis, do you think you're gonna check out the tax and stuff? Sounds like you're interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, Yeah, yeah, No, I just wanted to get through the story first and I was, and I do that in most games. I like to leave, like side Quest at the end. I like finishing your main game first. And because I can tell myself side Quest Taxing that type of stuff, it's like the adventure after it's the DLC, it's like, Okay, this is what Bond's up till, like till the next adventures. He's just training and working on stuff right now. So yeah, i'll definitely next time we talk about it, have some experience with taxing, and then I'll go to that right away. I think eventually I will play the story again on hard mode, but I think I'll probably wait a little longer or wait to like a Bond movie, and I'm feeling the viz with taxims, I will be crossing off, so cool.
Speaker 1: Sounds great. Thank you guys for joining me, Thank you everyone for listening, thank you for sending in questions, and yeah, we'll be back in probably twenty four hours for some state of play goodness. Have a good one, see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,