Speaker 1: You're watching Chewing the Cud with Mike Benin Rowe and Ven Smith. And it wasn't until I wiped it off and gave it a little sniff that even realized it was.
Speaker 2: Oh, hello and welcome to Cheering the Cud.
Speaker 1: This week, I'm joined by a musical maestro that is Ven Smith.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, let's going to the show. Thanks so much, lovely to be here.
Speaker 3: I like it when people lie to us. It is lovely, that's true. What have you got for us this week?
Speaker 2: So this week I'm talking about celebrity's brother who is stealing the limelight. And then we have a game to play. In our Game of the week, I don't know if you're supposed to jazz hands, but I added that in jazz hands are welcome.
Speaker 3: I can't do them.
Speaker 1: But that's before we get all up close and personal with Ven in spotlight on screen. Now you can see our social media just search for at the Cud TV and.
Speaker 2: As people who have popped up in our comments go along the bottom of the screen, it's time.
Speaker 3: For Mike in the buzz.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about nature documentaries? I love that nature documentaryburgh.
Speaker 2: Attinburough on a Sunday feels like a nice way to run off the week. Mild hangover, David. Sometimes it's just a way for me to fall asleep, but I also appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: Let's just story about some whales who have been caught at it, shall we say, for the first time, and just off the coast of Maui, so on a nice holiday, and they looked went, oh, look, wales at it. We've not had wales on camera having sex before. Yeah, And then they went, oh no, there's two boys male humpback whales literally humping back.
Speaker 3: Goodness. Did they give consent to this filming?
Speaker 1: I think so, because they didn't stop going no, no, no, no consent is given. But yeah, it's two whales. One almost decided to be an older gentleman whale and one's quite a young Okay, generational intergenerational whaling exactly. And the twink was topping. That was what came out of it all.
Speaker 3: Okay, hang me with quite a lot faxy. I don't know what to pick up on. Okay, well, okay, well yeah, lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, wow, Okay, captured captured for the world. That's actually the nicest picture I could find of it. There were so quite intimate ones and they're going I don't think we need to see penetration.
Speaker 2: But at the same time, well done. You specific website, very.
Speaker 1: Specific website, Yes, humpback dot com.
Speaker 3: Not what you're thinking of looking for.
Speaker 2: Whales only fins only nice.
Speaker 3: You don't know what they did with the blowhole.
Speaker 1: Wait, so this is the first ever whial intercourse, intercourse that's been captured on thing.
Speaker 3: It's gay and it happened to be gay. This is a moment.
Speaker 2: It is a moment.
Speaker 1: Apparently some right wing people are saying that they were just playing because they're not homosexual, because they're whales. Just good friends, just good friends, yeah, lifelong bachelors. I believe the phrases.
Speaker 3: Their partners in work. I guess.
Speaker 2: What do wales do for it?
Speaker 3: I don't want to ask that question.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, wow, okay, but it just made me smile. The fact that you know whales are at it, which we know that they are, but the fact that the first.
Speaker 3: Ones on film were actually gay, gosh, and well, you know, it seems like a nice spot for them to have been doing it as well. Vacation honeymoon perhaps.
Speaker 1: Possibly maybe who's got the money though, Well, interesting.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that intergenerational thing there as well, that is also quite interesting. And you know, flipping expectations. Who might be topic exactly?
Speaker 1: Okay, I googled twink top. Great, that came up. Progressive wheels exactly, that's what we like to see. Yeah, how do you feel about zombie apocalypses?
Speaker 3: Love, that's brilliant.
Speaker 1: We've got some special guests, so they want to eat brides.
Speaker 3: Bring out.
Speaker 2: Are you prepared for a zombie apocalypse? Well, you know, as much as I'll ever be. The world seems a bit of apocalyptic sometimes anyway, you know, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: When Putin decided that he wanted a bit of the Ukraine, I googled what I should do to protect myself from a nuclear bomb, and.
Speaker 2: There were two things that came up.
Speaker 1: One was trying to find yourself somewhere away from windows, like the middle of the house, where possible, and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Another one basically said you were so which did you go with?
Speaker 1: I started to clean out the bottom of mustairs, so I got under the stays cupboard and I went, this is a lot of work close the though it's it's not bother where's the gin.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: In case of zombie apocalypse, some research has been done about where the blessed place to be is? Okay, okay, where do you think the best place to be in the UK is?
Speaker 2: If there's in the UK? Oh wow, Okay, I'm going to say some sort of Ireland island maybe. Okay, Well, good news is that the entire UK is an island.
Speaker 3: You are spot on the shock. I am learning a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actually Scotland all right, they said the best place to be I might know something about that. It's actually the Highlands of Scotland basically because it's it's not very densely populated, right, and there's lots of things to eat that's in animals and fruit, not Scott's that's what they might be eating you already zombie delicious delicious brains. But they said steer away from cities, right and they've actually said Lewisham, Tower Hamlets and Newham are the worst places to be, okay, really specific, very specific right on what it does. They've basically graded on population density, access to raw materials, fresh water and that sort of thing. Okay, And basically if you're in the central London, yes, screwed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I mean sometimes does feel like a zombie apocalypse in London anyway, I lived for ten years Tube some mornings are people alive.
Speaker 3: What's going on? Is that weird?
Speaker 1: It's still warm but quite cold at the same time, and they get that smell.
Speaker 3: It's very particular London.
Speaker 2: Someone has actually bad so maybe it's already happening. Yeah, you know, it's just going on. Well no, I mean, have you ever been to the Highlands.
Speaker 3: I have been to the Highlands, so you know, beautiful place directly apocalypse as well. You know, you could find a little a little shack somewhere up the mountain on the loch, maybe a handsome Scottish you know, your back to porn thing again. Maybe you'll find a whale or No.
Speaker 1: I've just realized Ness is a zombie. That's not going to be good. She'll never never see NeSSI attack you because you can never spot No.
Speaker 3: But did you hear that they caught NeSSI having sex recently?
Speaker 1: Googles surprisingly, and you'd be surprised what shows up on my googlest Great, well.
Speaker 2: I mean lovely, there's well, if Scottland becomes independent, I guess you know.
Speaker 3: Because zombies taking it could be a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, lovely, great, perfect And if you want to see zombie NeSSI having sex with another zombie NeSSI, why don't share it with us at the kod TV on social media? And that brings us nicely to our story of the week, nicely to stretch there.
Speaker 3: Smoothly.
Speaker 1: Have you ever sold anything online?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, I have.
Speaker 2: I sell music because I am sim so I have sold Are you talking like physical things can talk about? I've sold some CDs online. I don't think i've sawd the anything else. I never really got into the hall. Can it be that a lot of world stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What's this?
Speaker 1: Young lady called Chang Wing Lee from Singapore decided she was a bit strapped for cash.
Speaker 3: Thought, you know, I'm an influencer.
Speaker 1: I'm going to sell something that people can get exclusively from me.
Speaker 2: And so I was selling two hundred and thirty seven pounds.
Speaker 3: Jars of farts.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, yeah, okay, she's sold out very quickly.
Speaker 2: Really yes.
Speaker 1: People were saying that, you know, I just bought it for the curiosity to wonder what they smell like and the answer is a fart. But yeah, she was telling people to get them quick because they only have a shelf.
Speaker 3: Life for thirty days.
Speaker 2: Right, it's been tried and tested, apparently so used by day to fart in the jar industry is thirty days.
Speaker 3: Very it seems quite long. I don't know. I mean, it feels like one of the things.
Speaker 2: I don't know, a couple of one of those things like as a kid, it's like you don't smell my fart, or like your fired under the DV.
Speaker 3: You know, cheve someone's head under there. But I feel like.
Speaker 2: You still hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 1: She's also said you can customize them art for an extra three hundred and ninety five pounds.
Speaker 2: Wait, sorry, I was customized the parts. I was thinking customizing the jar. She's not any glue. What would you like them to smell of?
Speaker 3: Wow? Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she said for an extra seven hundred and eighty nine pounds you could have an additional surprise and a.
Speaker 3: Photo of it happening.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that Pine is spending like just over a grandle the pictures one's asshole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what is the surprise?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm just saying surprise.
Speaker 3: It was a curry. There are some choices.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she has said she was restocking soon. Okay, but perhaps she must be some beans to see what happens. Well, you know, entrepreneur, Yeah, I think it's just a lot of dirty old mentor or want to smell something that's been round in other regions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know, I mean that is that's just an industry, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Ostream Someone's offered me money to buy my old underwear and did you I sent them my old underwear?
Speaker 3: Did you get paid? Now? You were jeped? I was jeeped.
Speaker 1: So yeah sorry, Oh wait, pe Daddy forty two if you're still watching, you only twenty quid.
Speaker 3: They wore knock off Calvin's. Anyway, I don't care.
Speaker 2: But that's all for the bus this week.
Speaker 3: Well thanks for that.
Speaker 2: Information overloads from Wales to farts.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Okay, all evolves the bottom. But coming up next we have a short break and then bring us the celebrity news. You're watching you in the cud with then and Mike. Now let's get ready for the show biz with then.
Speaker 3: All right, So first one up, Miley Cyrus fan. Are you a fan?
Speaker 1: I like the fact she she sang a song about being a wrecking ball? Yes, because it was quite easy to change that to a wrecking hole.
Speaker 3: Great. Yeah, she's done some other songs since then.
Speaker 2: But yeah, all right, I'm not down with a kid. I mean I'm not.
Speaker 1: She did that one about the song about the thing and the buying herself flowers.
Speaker 2: That was like last year's kind of song that was everywhere. But she has just released a new one which is called Doctor in brackets work it Out.
Speaker 3: Doctor.
Speaker 2: She talked about pro lapse.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it's about. It's an interesting title.
Speaker 2: Also, song wise, this isn't actually the story, but I'm just gonna talk about the song. I'd say it's quite hard to beat Wrecking Ball and Flour, both legitimate pop hits. I will say, I'm not sure how successful this one is. Have you heard it? Well, there's a new video and she's looking great in the video, dancing around quite a sort of shimmy shiny shaky like that.
Speaker 3: Those are the most That's what I supposed to do. But perhaps this is all a distraction from some family drama that's going on behind the scenes. That's right, so I know what is going on. Well, Mum Tish Cyrus Stole Dominic Purcell, who was Miley's sister Noah's partner.
Speaker 2: So mom has stolen daughter's partner. Here is here's Mum and daughter Noah.
Speaker 3: She already doesn't look please.
Speaker 1: No, she does not looks marvelous, but doesn't look pleased. I don't know when this was taken. During the ceiling there's a little leopard skin song.
Speaker 3: She's well, so yeah, so now Mom is with with this this partner. So it seems a bit messy, and I mean, I don't know how. I mean, that's just Miley.
Speaker 2: She's just dancing and maybe not caring so much about the family drama. She's doing very well, i'd say, but you know, perhaps not avoiding the discussion. Maybe it's awkward around the dinner table in the Stire's home.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So apparently, like Mum has opened up about relationship and has followed on Instagram saying that he slid into the d ms apparently. I mean, how do you feel about sort of stealing boyfriends in general?
Speaker 1: I mean people seeing my boyfriends obviously other people, because that's a very different thing.
Speaker 2: Let's go with you stealing people's boyfriends.
Speaker 1: First, I tend to return them. I don't steal them. I borrow them.
Speaker 2: And I have them.
Speaker 3: It's like a library.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, I take my card, I swipe it and take them out to take Rember live days later, take about five days later, a massive fine. It's like I think, if the relationship is an open relationship and everyone's happy about that, then that's perfectly fine.
Speaker 3: If it's a monogamous relationship, then probably not someone.
Speaker 2: How'd you feel about stealing partners from family members?
Speaker 3: Have you done that?
Speaker 1: Luckily, everybody in my family is either with a woman or with a Minger, So I'm okay, are they watching?
Speaker 3: Well, that means okay, to be fine, So this is is not not going to happen.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not going to be stealing anybody. Plus, plus we're all of a certain age. Now that yeah, well should we see if he's a Minger?
Speaker 2: In your.
Speaker 3: Opinion, how are you feeling? He looks comfortable? What does that mean? That's it on? It looks comfortable.
Speaker 2: So from zero too would sit on it, would sit on it?
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, from zero to would ride It is about.
Speaker 3: In the middle.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, find good getting to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she seems to know slightly.
Speaker 2: Concerned, that was what it says.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I'd say.
Speaker 1: He's significantly older than my sister though, yeah, in his fifties.
Speaker 2: To that, well, hey, if the whales can do it, the ciruses can do it too.
Speaker 3: So moving on to the next story. Samahayak Okay. Who's she?
Speaker 2: She is beautiful actress, appeared in many things including American Horror Story amongst amongst other TV programs films. She's very like, kind of honest and open on her social media as well.
Speaker 1: Was she the one that doesn't use any filters when she's doing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly stuff and so actually, so this story is kind of related to that kind of thing. That she's sharing a hack for her hair, which has gone a bit viral and people were like, oh my goodness, So it's so real.
Speaker 1: Is she doing a share? She's shaving up on my wigs?
Speaker 3: Yes, and no's not.
Speaker 1: That's what I started doing, but I didn't have the money for a week some half share.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I think both of us are really interested in the story about how we can maintain our hair. Beard her, Yeah, this could actually, this trick could work for that as well. So basically it is using the scare to cover up the grades. And so she was doing this instead of I don't know, dying or putting on a wig.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the early two thousands hair messcour I do not remember that, So Christina I can learned, just like the little colorful things and there. Oh yeah, okay, I used to be literally brush and he used to just rub it in.
Speaker 3: Did you use that?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what happened. Don't use it kids. This is it happened to me too.
Speaker 3: That blocked out.
Speaker 2: This is a you know, hair trauma.
Speaker 1: I don't think the scar would work on beards though, if you go with the ginger, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, you can dye your beard. Have you ever considered that?
Speaker 1: I have a few gray they're not even the white hairs that appear in my beard.
Speaker 3: I can't see them. You've covered them with I do.
Speaker 2: I've got a few few grays going in there as well, noddings.
Speaker 3: You can see them. So maybe I should a couple of.
Speaker 2: Hours looking as well on one.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you didn't provide me any, misscar when I arrived to the studio, so we don't do that.
Speaker 3: You know, it's your fault.
Speaker 2: Really, Moving on, So mcaulay culkin home alone has many brothers, the story. Are you ready for this? It's quite a big story. It might shock your world. One of his brothers is hot. Okay, that as far as I can gather, is the story. So not mad about it.
Speaker 3: One of the younger brother there's like seven brothers in.
Speaker 1: The ok so, he didn't have a TV when he's grown up.
Speaker 2: So this younger brother is Rory thirty four and has been sorry.
Speaker 3: His younger brothers. Yeah, just it feels wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does feel wrong. So when when mccula cochin was doing all the home alones and this is the brother here? Okay, long hair, family resemblance, long hair. I trying to get it. Yeah, lots of family resemblance. I feel like maybe just every few years is just like a new brother that gets the hot hot, you know, hot story. So I guess it's Rory's turn. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid I was people often thought I looked like McCauley in his Home Alone era.
Speaker 3: Really obviously things have changed.
Speaker 1: Can you do an impression of mccallay Colin and Home Alone? So no is the answer. What's my addition tape to be the next hot mcaulay culkin brother.
Speaker 3: But it's not worth.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, how do you feel? I mean from zero to what was your what's going on here?
Speaker 1: I do that in the morning.
Speaker 2: I'm like, do they still hear?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Are they still here? Are they still here?
Speaker 3: Is this like a bra Is this in a film? Is this just? I don't know?
Speaker 1: Because he had from what has recently been in an Amazon Prime show?
Speaker 3: Yes, I.
Speaker 2: All I know about this is a bowl of strawberries. I heard any more about this? So I like a strawberry.
Speaker 3: Well, you might like them even more or less. I don't know.
Speaker 2: So apparently in this show, whatever the show is, there's a scene where he presses himself naked against a bowl of.
Speaker 3: Strawberries and you can sort of see everything.
Speaker 1: Now it is you can see everything, or you can see outline of everything. It's like the strawberry version of Great Sweatpants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is the strawberry version of Grace. Okay, I don't know. Actually I've not I've not watched it yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's like, yeah, it's like the break. I might so you come back slightly out of breath and tie after the break. We know why exactly. Here's the family.
Speaker 3: I means I guess that's that's McCaulay Oviously, that's my guess that's worry. Yeah, parents, I think they're all a bit strange though, so from the mom and.
Speaker 1: Died he said strange for a second, like, yes, very strange. But I think the bit of a family break down, well divorced his parents didn't, yes, because.
Speaker 2: I need to sort of suit maybe like sued them as well. It's quite a big big thing during he was only in his teenage years anyway.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm just trying to work out how hotly brother was because there he doesn't look like a kid that's going to grow up hot like the Beckhams when they all had children. They all look like they're going to grow up decent looking kids. That's a very nineties picture. It's a very nice, very nice picture. Yeah, so you get to see do it look like a colcn yet?
Speaker 3: But we look slightly related? That's so. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So so the air is saying shouting swarm in my ear.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, the swarm is the show the Strawberries.
Speaker 3: I don't know what. I don't know what starm is about. I know the ones.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like all these things there it's like before I was going to call it bath water.
Speaker 3: That's how much.
Speaker 1: Burn because you could have a crossover where they have strawberries in the bath.
Speaker 3: Wow, strawberries and bath strawberries and cream.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh no, well you know so some of these things you know, you know the scenes before you know what actual things about.
Speaker 3: Actually watched Albourne. I have watched Slburn. Yes, I watched it.
Speaker 2: I watched it alone after seeing all these people being like all.
Speaker 3: I watched with my family at Christmas. So yeah, I told my parents to watch it. Okay they haven't yet.
Speaker 1: Well it is it on the Amazon. Yes, tell them to watch Swarm as well. Brothers, Peter, no watch this then, Well there you go.
Speaker 3: I think that is all the shubbers that I can bring you from now.
Speaker 1: Thank you for that as we all go off and watch Swarm and back tissues from somewhere and stick around because coming up next we have our game of the week. You're watching you in the cud and it's that time when we all have to reach into our wallets and whip it out for our annual I mean annual renewal. Yes, it's time to get your l G B t Q I A plus license renewed. So we're going to do some cramming with you as we play gay or nay, and then this one's off for you to start us off.
Speaker 3: If you go, thank you, try not to flash you as I leave.
Speaker 2: Oh day of the week.
Speaker 1: So this week we've got some gay trivia's historical fact and factoids. Okay, I'm going to ask you one then and then you're going to do me. Okay as in questions, Oh okay, cool, So are.
Speaker 3: You ready as I'll ever be good?
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lighthearted quiz in sixteen forty eight, which was just a recently only eighteen years before Cronenberg was invented.
Speaker 3: The obea drinker was just boring.
Speaker 1: In New France, a military drama received what sentence for being homosexual?
Speaker 3: What sentence for being homosexual?
Speaker 2: Some sort of terrible punishment that they no longer existed on this earth.
Speaker 3: They didn't have to listen to the new Malisarasol.
Speaker 1: Basically because she wasn't around share though, fourth album sixteen eighty four whatever, it was sixty fourteen, So he was given a choice of punishments in itself.
Speaker 3: That's a nice start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he could accept a new position first as executioner for the colony, right, what'll be put to death?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: I think that's flawed because if you need a new executioner, you're going to choose be put to death, aren't you? Yeah, I choose to be put to death. You've not got an executioner, I've or coat shop.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, it's clever. You would have done well during that period of time.
Speaker 1: I would not have done well during that period of time.
Speaker 3: Just because there was no grinder. There was.
Speaker 2: It was just an analogue or when you're actually grinding, and then you could, you know, have a wink across the fire pit?
Speaker 1: What across the fire pit?
Speaker 2: If the waiting salt, but a wink?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay? At this head, do you have a question for me? So?
Speaker 2: In nineteen fifty seven, the report of the Departmental Committee on Homosexual Offenses and Prostitution was released for all to read by What name was this report better known?
Speaker 1: So it's a report about gay men and prostitutes?
Speaker 2: When was it from two thousand or something?
Speaker 3: Was it grinderw twenty one? Nineteen fifty seven?
Speaker 1: Nineteen fifty seven, you were what in your third was the second time I was in my thirty here. Just remember that I'm only five years older than you.
Speaker 3: Drag you down with me.
Speaker 1: It's fine, I would say the New York Times.
Speaker 2: No, okay, the name of this report not the New York Times. But the name is the wolf Wolf Report. Is that bringing any bells?
Speaker 1: Did I say the Wolfenden Report, like off wolf the Wolf? Yes, the wolfing Reports Report at fit Wolf.
Speaker 3: So this was a.
Speaker 2: Document prepared by somebody called Wolfingdon. He's a lord, Lord of the Wolf. I don't know if it's a placer. That's his name, Lord Wolfingdon. It's rather common occurrence for reports of long wintered titles to referred to by shorter catch your name. And that's the case, which is, you know, strange that you've not remembered this.
Speaker 1: Catch title exactly, But I'm not going to forget the thing you Bobby report ever again exactly Wolf just wolf.
Speaker 2: Not related to the quiz. I just wanted to whiff at you, right, okay? Are you ready for me to do you?
Speaker 3: I am prepped and ready. That's that's good.
Speaker 1: It's very rare that I say that. By the way, feel privileged once a year, if that right? Which very famous. CNN reporter came out in twenty twelve CNN Zach standing for something you know, interesting cartoon Network News who came out a reporter, mister news. He was known as the Silver Fox of News, which is interesting because he wasn't on Fox News.
Speaker 3: The other one that wasn't on Fox News.
Speaker 1: That's the one. Yeah, Gillian Cooper. No, not Jillian Cooper. Anderson Cooper. Yeah, okay, Jillian Cooper's one.
Speaker 3: Very different. He's Jillian Cooper.
Speaker 1: He should do the Wine Show Monday, just before songs are praise before he did on CNN.
Speaker 3: I'm clever, I'm professional.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was the anchor of CNN's Anderson Cooper three sixty show. Risingly modest, but yeah. He gave permission for someone else to publish an email regarding his sexual orientation, which is nice to get a bit consent.
Speaker 3: He gave.
Speaker 2: It sounds like that email was already going to go out and he then kind of just.
Speaker 3: Had to give, yeah, all right, then do that then. Yeah, that's happened.
Speaker 1: With some pictures of mine, but different reasons. Anyway, I'm ready if you want to do me.
Speaker 3: Now, I am ready to do you.
Speaker 2: Good members, So deep breath, breath, Relax, relax. This is all about the penal code, something I'm sure familiar with under its new penal code of seventeen ninety one. Insert age related joke. Which European country was the first to criminalize homosexuality under its penal code?
Speaker 3: Penal code? Penal code? Which we're looking for a country? Here? Country? The name of a country.
Speaker 1: Penal code you know, tree code, country, you know, penal.
Speaker 2: Penal country, penal country code.
Speaker 3: Oh, homosexuality Netherlands. Why did you choose that country?
Speaker 1: Because I can, and because I thought that they're very They're very pro gay, very pro pot, very pro everything.
Speaker 3: So wow, you're wrong. Well I'm not going to take it.
Speaker 2: Russia. Surprisingly, Yes, Russia is near the Netherlands.
Speaker 3: It is France.
Speaker 2: So this was France's first national pinal code, adopted during the French Revolution. It had a sponsor, apparently, Louis Michelle Pelletier said they only punished true crimes, not the artificial offense is condemned, condemned by superstition. I'm quite enjoying, Louis Michelle Pelletier. I feel like at least a strong ally, if not enjoying the pinal code.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of of us.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 1: Well done, France, Well done, France's that's shocking, clebian.
Speaker 3: What is your view on penal reform?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't discriminate if it's uno really whatever makes you feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, open views there, Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: All tastes the same.
Speaker 3: So is this a cooking show as well? Is exactly?
Speaker 1: I want to stage a guy whose nickname was phil Okay, his name was Mark, but we'll call him phil as in Philadelphia because he had lots.
Speaker 2: Of anyway.
Speaker 3: In that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the one I know him. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So watch was the very first country to introduce same sex marriage.
Speaker 2: Oh you're like, yeah, I actually know this. Can you like, can you give me some clues? Your name like areas of the world.
Speaker 1: It has borders and people which live within it.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: It also had a penal code along the front and is part of Europe. Okay, is it the Netherlands? And maybe this is where you guessed your guest. Now this is the weird thing, right it was actually Russia? Oh it was Netherlands, of course it was Netherlands. Well done, you got it right. Yeah, that's the first time that we've got right, which means currently you are outgaining me.
Speaker 3: Ah well, it's just quite hard to do. That's very hard to do because the right sneeze glitter.
Speaker 1: But stick around because next we're going to get all up close and personal with Vent and Spotlight. Welcome back to you in the CUD. Now, after we've tested each other's knowledge, it's time we're going to get all up in his business as we talked to Vent in Spotlight. So welcome, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Have you enjoyed yourself so far? I have enjoyed myself.
Speaker 3: I've learned a lot. I've left. I've enjoyed. Okay, do you like it when people like to me? I do? I do?
Speaker 1: It doesn't it's not that important, you know.
Speaker 3: It happens to everybody.
Speaker 2: I take it as a compliment.
Speaker 1: It's all great lives. So you are a musician, that's right.
Speaker 3: I am a singer, songwriter and saxophonist.
Speaker 1: I do love the word saxophone. Saxhone's a good instrument. You know, it's always it's always popular. I did learn to play it, well, I tried to learn to play it. That The exact thing I got back was you're good. You give me a good try.
Speaker 3: For a percussionist, Well, you know, I mean for a percussionists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so you don't just pick up the saxophone randomly.
Speaker 3: You went to university with it on.
Speaker 2: Yes, So I have been doing music since I was a wee lad. I first, I think I started on the piano and didn't get very far of that because my teacher was quite scary and told me I should give up at like the age of seven. But thankfully I did not give up, and yeah, I kept on going. So I always really enjoyed, like just making things up. I think was my my thing about music. And then yeah, went to UNI, studied classical music and did saxophone and composition, and then I've kind of continued on in various different ways. But now i'd say my stuff is very much in the pop world and kind of queer pop.
Speaker 3: I'd say that's where we're okay, Well, what makes your pop queer? Me?
Speaker 2: Well, I guess I am writing about, you know, stuff from my perspective as a gay man and about what I kind of.
Speaker 3: See in my experience of the world.
Speaker 2: And but also I think pop music is kind of inherently queer in another and actually from a long time I probably didn't like release stuff that was like really the kind of poppy stuff that I wanted to release, possibly because I felt like I had to be a bit more serious and be like a singer songwriter and all that kind of stuff, which I do love sometimes, but also like I could have fully embraced the synths and the dancing and like the kind.
Speaker 3: Of ridiculous of ridiculousness of pop music. But also it's a great way to get across some important messages hidden inside some some pop music.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, So do you do you slip a lot of like hidden messages in or.
Speaker 3: Slip a lot of things in? Yeah? I yeah, well I do.
Speaker 2: I guess some hidden I do. I do enjoy metaphor, but yeah, I mean. And so an album I released last year which is like my debut album as this project of Vent Smith, and some of it is about like coming out and experiencing kind of growing up in my teenage years. Some of it's around more personal stuff around and be like mental health and relationships. Some of it's just about really rubbish boyfriends and other things in the world that I'm going to see.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's lots of different messages in there. That's just to the gallery, okay, Briant. So you mentioned an album there, m h okay, what's the album called and where can we get hold of it?
Speaker 3: So it's called Master of Disguise. Disguise is mastering them and.
Speaker 2: It is available on all your usual streaming services et cetera. Released that last summer and I also have a lot of extra stuff on band camp as well, which is just my way of trying to actually make some money as a musicians.
Speaker 3: Not that easy to do, but yeah, so you can listen to it anywhere and hopefully doing some more.
Speaker 2: Gigs and stuff. I did a bit of a tour of the UK last year, so I did some. I was living in London at the times, so did some. We extend there in Wales and in Scotland as well. But I'm hoping to be doing memory gigs this year, particularly Pride gigs as well. So MD is looking to pick any performers. Hello, get in touch.
Speaker 1: It's a pride you desperately want to do, like the number one prize.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean so I'm now living in Salford and like I would absolutely love to be in any of the Prides in Softward, Manchester, like all the ten boroughs I've been learning since I've been here, so I think I've applied to all of them.
Speaker 3: So it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be great to do some stuff blossom here, and of course like Scotland, it would be nice to get back up there and do some pride up up that way as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, And so you mentioned synthpop.
Speaker 3: Is that very definitely a genre? Yeah for now, Like.
Speaker 2: That's where I am kind of finding my stuff. I'm going with, Like I work with a producer and we can form the album. We're like influenced a lot by like a raiser, quite a lot of stuff in there, a little bit of years and years as well. I also love sort of I mean, any of the kind of pop like you know Kylie or anything where I guess there's synths are kind of used in a way that isn't is kind of new and interesting, and that like you're sort of almost like orchestrating stuff as well. There's my classical music in a background comes from that. I love kind of harmonies and building up and I've thrown the saxophone in there whenever I can as well. So yeah, since there's a way to describe it, and I just I'm working on a new track just now, which is going to be coming out in April, which is again very much in that kind of cool.
Speaker 1: When you mentioned Erasia there, I had listened on the Way and the Cow having a bit of a buppalong, and I was very much feeling the erasure kind of vibe. I'm going, oh, and the one about your friends can't come over because your mum's there, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So as that one is Master of Disguise, the title track of the album, So that was very much a kind of a note to kind of mental health and like so when you make up these excuses when you just not feeling that great and you're like, yeah, sorry, I can't come out because my mom was over, And at the same time you're telling you Mom, I can't talk to you because my friends are over, but in reality, you're just there by yourself, so wrapped up in a you're nodding along. It actually started out as like a little poem and in the studio we were like, don't actually this could maybe be turned into something, and it's so yeah, it's like stuff like that, and if you just listen to it, we don't really think getting into the lyrics.
Speaker 3: It's hopefully just kind of, you know.
Speaker 2: A nice piece of music, pop music, but yeah.
Speaker 3: We're in it.
Speaker 2: There's like some you know, deeper, deeper meetings and messages in there as well.
Speaker 3: But hopefully it's quite a hopeful.
Speaker 2: Message I think at the end of it as well, which I think I kind of like in music.
Speaker 3: I like there to be a bit of a bit of a story arc in there. You know, it's gonna be a bit of a point to it as well, a bit of narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like kind of those pedamlet's just a few seconds, I do.
Speaker 2: I have written an essay on that, you know, not yet, I have a thing about that she ripped off in pfmmm.
Speaker 3: I have gett into that quite often.
Speaker 1: I've heard I shan't can't get into it because it's about you, not about my theories about Calum being a stealing you know what's it?
Speaker 3: Okay, go in all pop music is slightly stolen.
Speaker 2: What's the same we we you know, we steal things and use them in different ways and exactly you know, all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Just whether you pay pay.
Speaker 2: World, yeah, whether you're paying anyone, yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm not getting paid for anything. So that's fine. So album's done, got another song coming up soon? M is it?
Speaker 1: Does that mean another album is coming imminently.
Speaker 2: Or I am writing constantly so I'm yeah, hopefully it will form an album for sure. I'm also like doing a bit of like collaborating as well, and so whilst I'm pretty new to Suffered Manchester, I'm hoping you can meet some more artists here do some stuff with people here as well.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna I'm open to collaborations. Who's like top of the list?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like other queer artists are always up there and I have done that in the past in real life in London mostly but also like remotely so some artists, like there's someone in Canada for some people in Germany. But yeah, so I'm really open to just meeting some new people and make some connections and seeing what kind of comes comes from that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I think there might be a collabs our friends of the show and there, because we've got some queer musicians that we might have to get you into contact with. Please do bet us up on a line date. Well, there's a couple, I'll put you all in the room, see what happens. Okay, well in getting keeping the rights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, strangely, that's not the first time that's happened.
Speaker 2: I thought that world collab was used for lots of things.
Speaker 1: Coolab We've had people like Smash Beyond Polisher, So yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: Both of we would love to see that happen.
Speaker 2: I did like a queer pop podcast during the pandemic, and so that was my way of kind of finding those other queer pop artists from.
Speaker 3: Around the world.
Speaker 2: And they were both artists that I'd found and I don't think ever spoke to smash Me would definitely include their music by chatted to Palm. So we've never met in real life, but we've spoken over zoom.
Speaker 3: Maybe now is the time. Maybe now is the time. Yes.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: So if people want to get in contact with your social media wise, what's what's.
Speaker 3: Your bits my bets?
Speaker 2: You can find my bits and bobs on all the socials ven Smith so v E double N like a ven diagram and Smith with a Y.
Speaker 1: Great, there's is there a lot of crossover in your socials diagram crossover, There is a lot of crossover.
Speaker 3: I did the math joke. Yeah, everyone loves maths.
Speaker 1: And well thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, thank you for having me and listening to the album.
Speaker 1: It's actually a bop, yes certified bop. Certain I nearly had an accident dancing in the car.
Speaker 3: Well that's because I needed to peak quite desperately.
Speaker 2: But that's almost the end of the show. Just remember to join us on our social media at their card TV.
Speaker 1: Thank you for watching and we will see you all soon.
Speaker 3: Bye bye. Let me just talk about