Speaker 1: We're totally booked in rock and roll.
Speaker 2: I think I'll leave you. You're reading little hands this.
Speaker 1: It's time to rock and roll band roll up, I Totally booked. Welcome back to Booked on Rock, the podcast for those about to read and rock. Find the podcast at booked on rock dot com. Every episode there in both audio and video. Exclusive video segments from each episode, links to all of the social media sites and the latest rockbook releases. Also check out the book down Rock YouTube channel at bookdown Rock. If you like what you see, click the like and subscribe buttons. That goes a long way to support the podcast. Aaron SAMs is the author of the brand new book YouTube Song by song. Over forty years since their formation, YouTube is one of the biggest bands in rock history, with an estimated one hundred and seventy five million records sold worldwide. They've earned more Grammy Awards than any other band, with twenty two. This book guide's the reader through the band's fifteen studio albums, eight of them number one, and over seventy singles, including several hits along the way, and there are many of the eighty four singles released. YouTube has two number ones, four top tens and ten Top forty singles. A lot of ground to cover with Aaron. Was a great discussion YouTube, one of my favorite bands. I was looking forward to this one. We cover YouTube's music from the beginning right up through their most recent release, Atomic City. I put together a playlist of you two, which you could find on the show notes page. The book is You Two, song by song. The author is Aaron Sam's Aaron. Nice to meet you. What's up? Nice to me?
Speaker 2: How are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: I'm good. I'm looking forward to talking to YouTube, one of my all time favorite bands. So this I was looking forward to so much. By the way, is it Aaron or do I know you go by aj on social media?
Speaker 2: Either one works cool?
Speaker 1: Cool? All right, So you can't pick a better person to write this book. I don't think you've been a fan of the band for over forty years now? Is that true?
Speaker 2: Its forty years last year? Okay picked up under a blood red sky back in nineteen eighty three and haven't looked back ever since.
Speaker 1: You've traveled the world to see them live in Tokyo, Istanbul. This is according to the website that you created. I believe YouTube Songs dot com.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I've been all over from one end of the world to the other, nothing to pick out a spot on their tour and go do some tourism while I'm there.
Speaker 1: And you keep notes, and you have kept notes on those shows or on YouTube's discography since what nineteen eighty nine?
Speaker 2: I've been keeping notes on the discography specifically since about eighty eight eighty nine. They're all stashed in the back of a book about Rattling Home Wow.
Speaker 1: And that that's what led to the website Youtubo Songs dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Back in about ninety five final class project for a little computer class. We had to pick a topic and create a web page. And the props that'd pick a topic you really enjoy. So YouTube floated to the top of the list, and I took my discography notes that I've been working on for years and turned it into a little website.
Speaker 1: When did that site launch? What year?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety five?
Speaker 1: Ninety five, okay, five.
Speaker 2: Years before you two had their own website.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's right around the time when Pop came out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when Pop came out, I did a little PopMart site for most of that tour. Following this tour city by city and tracking, the setlists and so on, so a little different that year, but went back to the discography and the collecting site shortly thereafter.
Speaker 1: How did you Become a fan?
Speaker 2: A friend of mine was down at his place and his older sister had under a blood red sky playing and I heard forty at the end of that, and I actually heard the crowd singing along to it. And it was the first live piece of music I can remember.
Speaker 1: Here how long to sing this song exactly.
Speaker 2: I was a bit of a music fan at that point. I've been buying cassettes at that time other artists, but it was the first live recording, and I was well when I heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw them once and only once in two thousand and one All that you Can't Leave behind tour, and it's one of the best shows I've ever seen. What is the best show that you've ever seen? How many we'll start with that. How many you two shows have you been to?
Speaker 2: I've seen somewheres around one hundred shows.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, so I guess it's kind of hard. Is there one or two that you that you think about when you'd think best, best of the best shows. I've seen.
Speaker 2: Some of them. I can't not mention because of the atmosphere. I saw them at the Apollo Theater in New York. That is gonna have to be at the top of the list. I saw them filming the video for the Blackout in Amsterdam, so again small club. There was maybe two hundred and fifty people there. So those sorts of night are hard to match. Some of the bigger shows are just as amazing, though. Seeing them at Croke Park in Dublin at home, Oh wow, eighty five thousand people standing behind you, it's just goosebumps. Aaron Sunday, Bloody Sunday in that atmosphere, it's just incredible.
Speaker 1: Have you gone to the recent shows at the Sphere?
Speaker 2: I have. I saw six shows at the Sphere, three in October and three in February.
Speaker 1: So how are you feeling about that? Because Larry Mullen Junr. Is still not und right.
Speaker 2: I am a Larry Mullen fan. I go and I watched Larry from the start of a show to the end of a show. I drum along with him. That's my jam when I'm at a show. I really thought I was gonna mind the Las Vegas thing because he wasn't there. They had somebody in there that was really good. Wasn't the same on drums, but he did the job, and he did it well, and he was fun to watch. He was great with the crowd, he was great with the fans. He went out of their way to say thank you to us every time he spoke. So it was really good that way. So I got over it pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the only time, the only other time YouTube played without all the original members was maybe one show where Adam Clayton had had some issues with alcohol and then he was He didn't show that mid nineties.
Speaker 2: There were a few shows early on the Edge missed a couple. Larry missed a couple, but that was back in the seventies, okay, before anybody even knew them, and then Adam had the issue in Sydney. They were filming those shows in ninety three, and they did a show in Times Square without Bono, Bruce Springsteen and Chris Martin from Coldplay and Carrie Underwood. I think it was filled in on vocals.
Speaker 1: Okay. I got to have you talk to my older brother because he got a chance to see YouTube around eighty eighty one. It's whenever they played They played a university here in Connecticut, New Haven, Connecticut, small little.
Speaker 2: Venue, Toad's Place.
Speaker 1: It wasn't Toads. It was a college. It was I could we could look it up. He I just remember him telling me that he saw the band. They went out back behind the venue and he saw them getting in getting into their wasn't even like a limo. It was like a van or whatever at the time, and then they were they were just just starting.
Speaker 2: So you said you've seen them once with Hartford.
Speaker 1: That was Hartford. Yeah, Harford Civic Center two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: That is probably one of my favorite shows that really. Yeah, that's the one that was attached to them, all right, yep, Yeah, I had a great time that night. They were on fire back for that round of shows. They were getting ready to tape the show in Boston a few nights later. So I'd done Albany, Hartford and then the four in Boston. Incredible shows.
Speaker 1: So you were at that show too, Yeah, that was the Boston show. I remember they turned that into a radio special and then well TV and radio special and.
Speaker 2: They released it on home video as well.
Speaker 1: Right, right, that was a great tour, great tour. So so I'm speaking to one two expert that is for sure you know you're you two. So yeah, this had to have been a fun book to work on. All the songs, the whole discography.
Speaker 2: It was a bit daunting to fit all that.
Speaker 1: Into one book, I would think, so.
Speaker 2: For the book is part of the series Fontell has the song by song series, so they go out each book is about a different artist. I went out and did a little research and pulled down a couple of books. I think I had looked at Madonna and Abba. There was one other that I had looked at, and my first thought was, how am I going to fit you Two's catalog into something this size? So it was a bit of a challenge.
Speaker 1: Fifteen studio albums.
Speaker 2: Right, fifteen albums, a lot of singles that I want to fit in there, B sides, a lot love ground to cover in their forty year career.
Speaker 1: Great job, And what I did was I decided to just kind of pluck out a few a song or two from each of these albums as we go throughout and get your thoughts on those. What's in the book as well, because there's some great, some great information behind the scenes of how the songs were made or what they're about. So I always find that stuff fascinating. So we'll start with that debut album, which is Boy Has released October twentieth, nineteen eighty in Europe March third, nineteen eighty one in the US, produced by Steve Lilly White who produced the first three albums, and that cover image. That boy on the cover is Peter Rowan, who is a neighbor of Bono's and the little brother of Bono's good friend is a Guji pronounce Gujie googie googie. Okay, yeah. So the opening track I Will Follow and that's when they still perform live to this day, didn't chut in the US, but charted in Ireland at sixty nine, Australia at seventy one, New Zealand at thirty four. Who is this song about? I Will Follow?
Speaker 2: Bono has revealed more recently that he believes the song was written for his mother. His mother had passed when he was in his teens, and in the last five years or so, Bono's revealed that it's kind of fry to his mother beyond the grave, saying I want to follow you to wherever you are.
Speaker 1: And didn't he say it was initially a song he wrote as a suicide note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, so the suicide note was original, his original take on it all. Then he started talking about his mother beyond the grave, so it's kind of him as a young boy wanting to follow his mother to the grave.
Speaker 1: I guess I hadn't listened to this album until I really got into the entire YouTube catalog, which was early two thousands, And there's not a bad song on this album. And the one two combination of nkot Dub into You, into the Heart is one that I love it. So what is nkot dub about. It's Gaelic for the black Cat.
Speaker 2: It's Gallic for the black Cat, and it's a song that Bono wrote when he was separated from Ali and he he's claimed it's about temptation and relationships, and perhaps he went out to destroy his own relationship.
Speaker 1: They are together still today.
Speaker 2: And they got back together after that song came along, So whatever he was up to or whatever he was doing, he came back to it. But that's one of the reasons it's been tied into the Heart over the years. Into the Heart was kind of him and Ali coming back together.
Speaker 1: I think, Yeah, do you have a favorite from this album.
Speaker 2: Favorite from Boy out of Control. It was written by fifth birthday and can't go wrong with that. Bono wrote it on his birthday. We sure a birthday.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cool. His eighteenth birthday may have seventy eight. Yep, wow, yeah, I'm looking at here is as one of the songs that you two recorded with SHASD Whaley for their first release three Yeah.
Speaker 2: They had a brief contract with CBS Records in Ireland, and CBS sent in one of their A and R guys to record a three track single with them. So over the long weekend in August seventy nine they recorded that. So probably are about this point in time.
Speaker 1: Out of controls about waking up on your eighteenth birthday and realizing that you're eighteen years old and the two most important decisions in your life have nothing to do with you being born and dying. That's a quote from Bono. Hey, what do you think of his book? By the way, I.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed his book. I think I enjoyed the book tour a little bit more than the book itself. He did a little tour where he told some stories from the book and sang a few songs. And turned it into a little bit of a production that really helped. I enjoyed the book up until probably the two thousands, when he got into some of the aids in Africa and a little bit more of the politics, and some of that left me a little cold. I wasn't as enjoying that side as much. I wanted a little bit more of the rock and roll stories and that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: So, Yeah, and that's something that he's faced. He admitted that that he knows that some of the fans don't prefer that he'd get too politically involved, but that's something that he has a passion for. Yeah, it's kind of a divisive topic, I guess. So to me, it doesn't matter if the songs are great, I'll go I'll go see the concerts. But you know, some people they just don't want to hear any of that in concert.
Speaker 2: I don't mind the politics. They've certainly brought it up over the years, and a lot of the songs have it woven into them over the years, but reading about meetings with Secretary of the State and prime ministers and presidents leaves you a little cold after a few a little while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, October released October twelfth, nineteen eighty one, and during the tour in the US, Bono had lost his briefcase holding all his notes and ideas for the new album. Caused him to start again developing songs in rehearsal, and this album includes the singles Fire and Gloria, both top ten and Island. Glory is misleading, right, It's not a love song? What is it actually about?
Speaker 2: Gloria is glory to God. First real hint of them bringing the religion into the picture was with the October album. It's there a little bit on Boy, but October they hit you over the head with a little bit more. He brought some Latin lyrics to try and hide it a little bit in Gloria, but it is It is more a love song to God than anything else. At the time, three of the members of You Two had hooked up with a religious outfit in Ireland and were It was an interesting time. I think the band almost broke up over some of the religion aspects. The Larry Bono and the Edge were getting more and more religious. Adam was going more and more in a different direction and it really became a bit of a sticking point for them.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you two is one of those bands, same lineup from day one for a very long time. But there were a few times, maybe three times during their career where they had thought about calling it quits. I know during the octoone Baby recording they felt like things went work can out. I believe there was another time right where they thought maybe we should split up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a couple of times over the years. The October album. Bono covered it during his book tour. He said that they got together and they went to the manager and said, God is telling us that we should pull the plug on the band. And their manager looked at them and said, and what is God telling you to do with the contracts you signed? So they quickly learned that they had contracts that they had to fulfill and they weren't getting out of it that.
Speaker 1: Quickly, and eventually they'd start making the labels quite a bit of money. Didn't start that way though, at least here in the States. Boy in October solid placings on the charts right in Ireland, but in the US still hadn't caught fire, But that was coming. Boy reached number sixty three on Billboard October one, oh four, but that changes with war Or, released on February twenty eighth, nineteen eighty three. Peter Rowan, once again featured on.
Speaker 2: The cover, was the big breakthrough for break Through.
Speaker 1: First number one in the UK, not Michael Jackson's Thriller off the top spot. Not too shabby, and then in the US reached number twelve.
Speaker 2: Sat outside the top ten. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is thanks to the singles New Year's Day, Sunday, Bloody Sunday, heavy airplay on radio and MTV and TV was.
Speaker 2: There around then. You had a bunch of good looking young guys that were doing videos. They knew what to do to get the songs played. New Year's Day. Why to catch a song? It's it's still one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: And I want to ask about the video because that's a great there's some great stories on that which, by the way, New Year's Day was the highest charting single at that time, number fifty three. And we can't forget about two Hearts Beat as One too. It's another great song. But New Year's Day inspired by the solidarity movement in Poland unfolding as you two was recording the album, and I want to ask you about the video. Where was this filmed? And can you tell the story behind the band members riding on horseback? Or so we thought?
Speaker 2: The band wanted something cold and snowy, and I guess they were playing into the pool and wintertime theme. So they went to Sweden. They took the band to Sweden. They filmed I forget the name of the town right now, but little lakeside resort type area, and they were in the snow. They were cold, they were miserable. They had a little campfire belt, but they couldn't stay warm. So the next day they packed up and went home. And apparently the band on horseback is actually a bunch of locals that they hired to film. The rest of the.
Speaker 1: Video were the teenage girls? Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Teenage girls? Yeah you are?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what an iconic video. Such a great video. My underdog picked by the way, Surrender from this album, which I didn't realize, was about a trip Bono took New York to New York City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was written about New York. I forget the exact story with Surrender, but something about tossing yourself off the building and maybe a touch of suicide in that one as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed to be a topic that Bono came in and out of quite a bitter in the early years. Day Without Me also apparently touches on suicide on Boy Bottle Leader said it was related to Ian Curtis, But he wrote the song before Ian Curtis from Joy Division had killed himself, So I'm not sure where the original inspiration came from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then from All that you Can't Leave behind Stuck in a moment you can't get out of is Michael Hutchins. But his suicide. Does Bono talk in his book at all about depression? Did he battle depression at all?
Speaker 2: And he doesn't seem to dis And I've never heard it brought up, And I don't know that he actually got himself to that point where he considered it. Other than what he has spoken about in relation to I Will Follow. He certainly had friends along the way that had walked down that path.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he would revisit that New York theme with All that you Can't Leave Behind the song New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, New York comes in and out quite a bit in their lyrics. City of Blinding Lights is also has some ties to New York and being the first band to play in New York's Madison Square Garden after nine eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that goal of coming to the to the US, that was big for them. Of course, the Joshua Tree when you when you get to.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, Angel Carlemks spoke to New York for the first time here in Billy Holiday on the radio. There's a lot of New York stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Some of the songs on Songs of Innocence tie into New York too, some of those early shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to the Unforgettable Fire, released October one, nineteen eighty four, much of it recorded at slain Castle in Ireland. Have you been? I have not. Okay.
Speaker 2: I bought tickets to go see them at slain Castle and that would have been that two thousand and one Elevation tour, but my mother had gotten six so I decided to stick close to home. And that's a bit of a reoccurring theme, canceling concerts to stick close to home for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So slain Castle is still on your your bucket list, then.
Speaker 2: I'll get there someday. There's still rumors you too will go back there and play again. So next time they play, I will be going.
Speaker 1: There are actually two castles on that album cover, Moydrum Castle near Floan, which is on the front, and then is it boy, this is a pronunciation carrago gonell castle.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Carrago gonell castle. Apologies to those who are listening in Ireland right now, right near Clarina. And that's on the back. Yeah. So the album debuted at number one on the UK Album's Charts, number twelve here in the States on the Billboard two hundred. Brian Eno brought in to pursue a new direction now so this and you can hear it in the production and they scored their first top forty single in the US with Pride in the Name of Love, which reached number thirty three. Most know that this song is about Martin Luther King Junior, but I don't think many know Bono intended it to be about somebody else. This I found it interesting. Can you tell us who that was? And what led Bono to changing his mind and focusing on MLK Junior instead.
Speaker 2: Bono claims that the song was originally written about Ronald Reagan. Wow and thembivalent attitude in America meant as the sort of pride that won't back down, and that wants to build nuclear arsenals. So originally The Unforgettable Fire had that tie into the nuclear bomb and the bombing of some of the Japanese cities during World War Two. So I certainly understand where Bono probably got into the nuclear talks that were ongoing in the eighties, right, Reagan in the forefront of all that. So happily he switched to a different topic and wrote one of their probably biggest songs. It's one of the songs that they still play live, still gets a huge response. I don't know if they would have gotten that had they stayed with the Ronald Reagan subject matter over the years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Yeah, he felt like he was giving Reagan too much importance, and that's why he made that change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a good change. It was a good switch.
Speaker 1: Podcast. We'll be back after this, be right back with a snack.
Speaker 2: Jack Go Go Away.
Speaker 1: Another song on The Unforgettable Fire called Bad and this song about the heroin crisis in Dublin among my favorites. I'm sure many YouTube fans feel the same. It's a standout song for you too, because it's it's the performance of that song at live AID in nineteen eighty five. That pushes you two into the spotlight and they become huge stars as a result of it.
Speaker 2: If you on a moment where I tipped from casual fan to hardcore fan, it was sitting on my grandmother's couch watching Live Aid. Wombono hopped into the audience.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a performance that.
Speaker 2: Moment right there, I was hooked. I had to know more. I want to know who these guys were. I had picked up a couple of things from them, but that was the moment where I went from I kind of like them to who are these guys? I need everything they've put.
Speaker 1: Out right, I believe. There's an interview with Bono at Live AID, which I thought was funny. He actually introduces himself. You know, He's like, because people, it's a lot of people that may be watching me and I know, so he's like, my name is Bono and from the band you too. It's just like insane to think about that, because you know, they just became a household name and it was really because of them.
Speaker 2: They were still working on it. Yeah, Actually they were supposed to play Pride in the Name of Love that night.
Speaker 1: That's that was to follow bad, I think, right, they cut it out.
Speaker 2: So they had to cut it out because of Bono's run down into the audience.
Speaker 1: Which he felt bad about afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he thought he had screwed the whole thing up. And so many people were sitting at home thinking this is great. Who is this guy and why is they pulling some girl out of the audience, and that that whole thing mad made my day watching that.
Speaker 1: That is what I think. One of the things I love about you too is is Bonos. It's like a fearlessness on stage, like he'll do things like that. It just he just goes somewhere and I don't even think he even plans on it most of the time.
Speaker 2: But I don't think sometimes he realizes he's done it until he's about.
Speaker 1: It after Yeah, it's like he's in his zone. It's just it's just magical, magical.
Speaker 2: I was at the opening of the Elevation tour in Fort Lauderdale and he just decided he was going into the audience off the tip of the heart and just jumped off and went for a walk about and and it was crazy to actually see that. You didn't know where he was. Security was trying to figure out where he was going, what he was doing, and he did that for the next night as well, and I managed to put myself right in his path that night and got a high five as he was wanting running by.
Speaker 1: That's so cool man, very Springsteen. It reminds me a lot of Springsteen's like that too, just passionate on stage.
Speaker 2: Bono gets that energy built up and he just has to let it go sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that performance sets up the next album, which is an album called The Joshua Tree, a little old album called the Joshua Tree. This is This is still my personal favor and I love octun Baby, but this is right at the top for me. Released March ninth, nineteen eighty seven, first album to reach number one in the USA, reached number one in the UK. Record stores opened at midnight to meet demand. With or Without You and I still haven't found what I'm looking for. Number one singles where the streets have no name, Number thirteen in God's Country just missed the top forty number forty four. You know and Lenoir are back to produce on this. We haven't talked about the edges of amazing guitar works, so let's talk about With or without You, because he saves this song from being abandoned.
Speaker 2: Yeah was it? And sure was it Bono's friend Gavin Friday.
Speaker 1: Let's see, because I think it was that. I think it was that risk.
Speaker 2: At one point they talked about walking away.
Speaker 1: From that song right with or without You? Let's see.
Speaker 2: A breakthrough came when the Edge was given a prototype infinite guitar, right Gavin Friday and Bono took it away to work on it when the band was ready to abandon the song. Yeah, it was Gavin that it convinced Bono to take it away and work on it a little bit further. But in the meantime Edge was noodling around with this infinite guitar. There was only two or three of those guitars created. Canadian came up with that invention and and somewhere along the way, Bono brought back what he had been working on. Edge brought back what he had been working on. They smashed it all together. Help came with or Without You, which I don't think he could go anywhere. Is in nineteen eighty seven and not hear that song on the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another song almost lost where the streets have No Name? And this time it was engineer Pat McCarthy stepped in to save this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brian Ino was getting ready to throw that one into the garbage and when the engineers rescued it that day and said no, no, well we're going to pull that aside. And the band worked on that and worked on it, and they thought they had something special there, but they couldn't get to the finish line. But eventually they got there. I'm so glad they did because if there's a moment in their live show that I never want to do without, it's being able to turn around when the lights come up during where the streets have no name, but looking at the faces behind you, it's pure joy in the audience when that song is being performed.
Speaker 1: It's goosebumps, you know, goosebumps. What was the did they perform?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Wasn't at the super Bowl? Just following nine to eleven?
Speaker 2: They did that at the super Bowl. Guy behind me at my first show in Edmonton in ninety seven tapped me on the shoulder and he said, when the lights come on during the streets, look behind you. I have to say that was the best advice I ever got. I still to this day, just look around the arena or the stadium or wherever I happen to be, and just look at the audience enjoying that song. It's rare to see that many people that happy all at one time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Joshua Tree. I remember getting it this Christmas vacation week. I was in college and I got a gift certificate to Strawberries Records, and I went and got tattoo you from the Stones and Joshua Tree. There's a third one, I think two, But because I kept thinking this would been in the early nineties, I'm like, I keep hearing everything about Joshua True and I know the hits, I know the singles, but I got to hear this whole thing. You know. It was just one of those moments where you just like Mesmeriz, you know, just turned the lights down it playing, just yeah, just amazed at what I was hearing. It's the songs that were the songs that weren't the hits are I love every bit as much as the ones that were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Joshua Tree came out while I was in high school and small town maybe five hundred people. My graduating class had less than thirty people in it, so no one knew who you two were. There was me and one other girl at the high school that were YouTube fans, so we would just talk for hours. And Joshua Tree was one of those albums I got into while it was fresh. I was there while it was coming out, and I think that might have been the first album that I got into while the band were promoting it, rather than looking back on something they had released years earlier.
Speaker 1: Rattling Homi is interesting. Over ten nineteen eighty eight, it's released and it's a combination of new material and live performances. It's released as the soundtrack to the film of the same name. This is kind of divisive. Where do you stand on Rattling Hume? This differing opinions among YouTube fans. I think I.
Speaker 2: Really like the music. I probably could have done without the film. The live performances in the film are amazing, but I don't know. Being in a small town, there wasn't a theater nearby, so I did Rattle and Hum without all the movie. Fuss. I didn't see Rattling Hum until probably two or three years later.
Speaker 1: Okay, So to.
Speaker 2: Me, Rattle and Hum was just more live music and some great songs, and I really bypassed the rattle and hum film aspect, probably until it showed on TV a couple of years later.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a great gospel version of I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: What the new voice is the freedom? Yeah, You're out in New York. They were actually approached to do a single of that song back when they released the initial single in nineteen eighty seven. You two was going to do a double release and release a gospel version of the song at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, they had hits off this one too, The Desires number three, Angel of Harlan number fourteen, and a couple more singles When Love Comes to Town with BB King.
Speaker 2: That's such a great song.
Speaker 1: Great song, and All I Want Is You is among my favorite.
Speaker 2: All I Want to Use is You is one of my faves as well. I love how they ended that.
Speaker 1: Yeah Jimmy Ivy, credited as producer, reached number one in the US and UK, but again mixed reactions from critics and fans. So I think that's why that was part of the decision that went into Octune Baby. Correct. It was like, let's go, let's try something different. Now, I think we went a little too far in that direction. Let's try something new.
Speaker 2: We went a little too far with rock and roll in the US sound. Let's head to Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which we get to tune Baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not one of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Really. Wow.
Speaker 2: It was my first year at university and I was off listening to strange, weird dance music and Actung Baby just left me a little bit cold.
Speaker 1: That is shocking. That is shocking. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay had some great songs, some of them are favorites of mine. I was really into some of what they did with the singles. There was a remix of even Better Than the Real Thing that I played constantly. It never came out of the stereo, that Perfecto remix.
Speaker 1: So it had its moments.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there was a remix of Mysterious Ways that really got my attention as well, and the one single with Satellite of Love and Lady with the spinning ad that caught my attention. So there I was all over Actung Baby. I just never listened to the album.
Speaker 1: What about the boot There was a famous bootleg that got circulated for many years. The songs that were some of the songs that were ditched. Some of the songs had pieces of what we would end up hearing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was stolen from their hotel room. As the story somebody made one of the cleaning crew made off with the tapes or something. Now rough rough versions of some of what we heard on that final album, But I do admit I do like some of that early early stuff even better than the real thing was in there in an early form, and Salame, which they released as a B side, eventually was in.
Speaker 1: There were these songs that were these the songs though where they finally they got because there was a point there were they were getting frustrated and they kind of gave up and said, this isn't going to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the song. It was the Frustration that got released, the Frustration that made its way onto bootleg and you can hear it in some of those some of those songs there. If you go back, there's I think seven CDs worth of material, and some of it it's just the same song over and over and over again. They were beating themselves over the heads with it and not getting anywhere.
Speaker 1: They started recording I think is as early as eighty nine or so, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had done some even some of the footage of Rattle and Home. They're playing songs for Iovine, some of the stuff they had worked on back during the Rattle and Home sessions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then they scrapped it and then it was I believe the song won. It was that the first. That was the first they said okay, we're onto something here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the breakthrough. That was the one where they finally they figured it out and they pulled it together and the band, I don't know if I want to say it was easy for them, but they got there. They they were able to pull that song together easier than any of the other material they were working on, and they packed up. They left Germany.
Speaker 1: At that point, right.
Speaker 2: I always hear about the German roots, But a lot of that album was recorded when they got back home to Dublin.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because it was in Germany that they were getting frustrated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had the breakthrough moment before they left, but they brought it home to Dublin and finished it off on Home Home Turf.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting. The lead single was the Fly, which I love that song, but it was an interesting choice as a lead single because I would think maybe like Mysterious Ways or even better than the Real Thing would have been a logical choice that took them down that path of some really strange first singles. Right.
Speaker 2: If you think about what they've released over the years, the odd ball song is typically the first one out of the gate. Next album was Numb Yeah, Verdigo wasn't the obvious single for that album either.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's kind of a gutsy call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Beautiful Day. Beautiful Day was the obvious song that Yeah.
Speaker 1: Disco tech, Disco Tech. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There were stronger songs on pop than.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which we're getting close to talking about. Octune Baby ninety one should go into the numbers a little bit here debuted number one in the US number two in the UK. Recorded with Daniel lin Watt and Brian you Know. Linn Wah acted as the primary producer, working full time with you while Eno would join them for a week at a time each month. Mysterious Ways and one or top ten, even better than the Real Thing and Who's Going to Roger wild Horse's top forty and the title of the album This is fairly well Known, was taken from the movie The Producers. The phrase heard in the film was used by sound engineer Joe o' hurley. Yeah, so that's whe they came up with that name. And let's see, you two were hoping to catch some excitement in Germany. We talked about that. Just got some notes here. The studio had been where many of their idols had recorded. That's right, David Bowie recorded that studio a deep pop and the city was going through reunification. But they found the city cold and couldn't find their their path in the studio. And that's where, like you said, they head back to Ireland and on the verge of breaking up. I mean that's yeah, that was.
Speaker 2: The second big breakup. I think it came really really close at that point.
Speaker 1: Imagine if that happened. I mean, because they became huge in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Well that's just actung baby. You look back and you can't imagine the nineties without it, right. Oh, we were really close not even having a U two anymore at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Aaron SAMs is the author of the new book Youtwoe Song by song out now through font Hill Media, so you can find it wherever books are sold online and Amazon and all the usual places. So You two is arguably the biggest band in the world. By this time early nineties, and that is evident by the numbers for the next album, which was ninety three Zoo Ropa. The album reached number one in seventeen countries, including both the UK and the US, and it's got the single's numb Lemon Stay So Far Away, So Close and the track Numb that took people by surprise. Who am I listen? That's not Bono?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: No? It's not Bono? That is that is the Edge, Yeah, the Edge, but Bono was supposed to do the lead vocals. He took a crack ad it a few times.
Speaker 2: They had a couple of different songs during Acting Baby.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Developed as down all the Days. It's actually on one of the box sets you can hear Bono singing the original planned version of numb Wow. So it's out there, but it wasn't working. It was one of those songs they were struggling with and the Edge took it away and came back with this spoken word piece that just worked over top of it and they ran with it. And interestingly enough, the backing vocals, it's Larry Mullen has has a big piece of the backing vocals there. You don't hear his voice in many songs, so it's interesting that it's the Edge and Larry that kind of took that song away and made their own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember hearing that that summer of ninety three. What a choice for a lead single. I mean that, I love the title track, the opening track, slow fading boom boom boom boom boom, boo boo boo boo, boom boom boom. It just hypnotic.
Speaker 2: I I had had a little vacation from you two at that point, really Actung Baby. I hadn't listened to a lot of it, and there were a couple of singles that I listened to now and then, but Zopa head And although I was off investigating other music when Actung Baby came around, you two kind of met up with my investigations and hit me full force with Zoopa. It's exactly what I was listening to. I was listening to a lot of industrial rack. I was kind of in a German place. Nine Inch Nails was on my listening playlist at that point in time, I think, and some German industrial bands ministry a lot of stuff like that. I found you two just pulled it all around and just went for it. I really loved that album. It's still one of my favorite U Two albums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the band as a whole, but definitely Bono and The Edge. They were always on the edge of pop culture musically, like they even on pop I remember Bono was talking about just looking at the top forty charts and seeing who was there, and he was. They wanted to kind of stay ahead of the curve, really not keep up with the others, but kind of look forward to what's coming next in the two thousands, and that was a pretty gutsy move on their part. But they also Oasis was a huge influence on Bono. I think at the Edge too.
Speaker 2: Brett Roth was having it stay in the Sun. Right around then they were Oasis was big, and you had a lot of acts coming out of Manchester that were starting and to hit some success again, and it was just an interesting era. I'm really glad You Too went down that road and I played around with it. That nineties You Two stuff some of my favorite You Two stuff.
Speaker 1: They've done podcasts. We'll be back after this. I had author Jeff harkness On who wrote a great book. Maybe you've read it. You should if you Haven't yet. Forty Foot Lemon, The Complete Story of You two'es Pop and Pop Marked. It's an excellent book.
Speaker 2: I have that on my Amazon list this morning.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, I'm sure Jeff's listening to this episode. He is a huge You two fan, and he is a fan of pop as am. I probably like half the half the tracks I am a fan of and I think I'm with you. I'm glad that they went with this that whether it worked or didn't, it's something that they really wanted to do. It's just something artistically they felt they wanted to do. And it was an initially announced to be released in October of ninety six, but it was delayed. They had trouble finishing the song. It's kind of similar not to him Baby, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they struggled with pop. They weren't quite sure what they were doing with it in places, and end of the day, they weren't really happy with the final mixes and they were still tweaking and playing with things. I think You Too were a little bit ahead of their time with pop. I think that album stands up better than any of us remember it. If you go back and listen to it. That is an incredible piece of work.
Speaker 1: I remember Bono talking this is maybe twenty years ago, fifteen years ago. He wanted to re release it.
Speaker 2: I think they had something there that they didn't know at the time how good it was. I'm a big fan of pop and the whole tour, the culture that surrounded it, the merchandise they put out, the fun they were having with the videos. I just love that whole period of You two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about pressure too, right. They had the tour booked ready to start April of ninety seven, so.
Speaker 2: They were still mixing the album.
Speaker 1: They're still mixing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were supposed to be in rehearsals that ORR really suffered because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They got them off on a rough foot in Las Vegas and the critics just savaged them for not being ready.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the album debuted strong number one in twenty nine countries including the UK and US. Yeah, and Disco Tech, who number ten single Steering at the Sun number twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're singles. They should have mixed that one up. I think Disco Tech maybe they should have released it as a second single and put one of the more U two sounding songs up front. I think it would have turned around that campaign.
Speaker 1: For them in the States, and Larry wasn't too fond of the album as a whole, right he was and digging they were.
Speaker 2: Larry had back problems, so Larry was on the sidelines for most in the recording of that album. He came in at the end and re recorded a bunch of stuff they had put together, but that one was probably a hard one for him because he wasn't around for the bulk of the original recording sessions.
Speaker 1: I love MOFO. That's a great one.
Speaker 2: I have a MOFO T shirt that I almost wore tonight for this.
Speaker 1: You could have won.
Speaker 2: It the Las Vegas one instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, oh that's cool. That's from the YouTube Vegas show. Okay, yeah, that's from the Spare show. I'm wondering what that was. Okay, cool, Well, so they did. There was a reaction that the band had to the the lack of I mean, I hates said it's not a failure of pop because it did really well, but you know where I'm going. I mean, there was there was some push back there. So I think that leads to all that you can't leave behind, like, Okay, let's pull it back a little bit. Let's let's make sure we don't entirely lose our fan base.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what they did. Pop was so out there, they took some risks, they pushed the envelope, but I think they decided he didn't really work for us, and let's pull back and let's get it back to four guys in a room again.
Speaker 1: But it worked two times before, right, Joshua Tree, when they made that shift, and sound did just fine, and and our tune Baby was a drastic change, but.
Speaker 2: And it worked for them again. All that you Can't Leave Behind is probably going to be in the long term looked as one of their big three albums. Yeah, yeah, yeah, October thirtieth.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. You're saying, if you have to pick a third, is this top top five U two in your opinion? All that you Can't Leave behind?
Speaker 2: My opinion, none of those albums.
Speaker 1: No, I know because I read about you. Yes, I had. There's an interesting I think I have it in my notes here. I was gonna ask about your favorite U two albums.
Speaker 2: You can ask that one later. Yeah, Critically and popularity, I think all that you leave behind or all that you can't leave behind has to be the third album. Some would make the case that it would be How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb because of the Grammy Awards, but I think All that You Can't Leave Behind is the more successful of the two albums.
Speaker 1: Yeah Yeah reached number one in thirty two different countries, including the US and UK. Album won Best Rock Album at the two thousand and two Grammy Awards. Talk about the lead single, Beautiful Day, number twenty one in the US, number one in the UK. Interesting things here, It almost didn't make the album one and two. There was a different title which you can hear the edge singing under Bono's vocals.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The song was originally developed under the title Always, which you two and their Infinite Wisdom released the same day they released Beautiful Day. That's the b side the Beautiful Day. They released another version of the song that went on to become a Finnish song, and you hear hints of Beautiful Day again in Get Out of Your Own Way. Always went on to become the backbone of Get Out of Your Own Way in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: They really liked the ideas in there, and they've spun it off in a couple of different directions over the years.
Speaker 1: And we did talk about stuck in a moment you Can't get out of, and that was about Bono's friend Michael Hutchinson in excess how he took his life and he was so affected by that, so he wrote the song about him, but also talk about there's an unreleased version recorded with Mick Jagger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mick Jagger and his daughter, I think it was.
Speaker 1: Is this out there at all? In any bootleg?
Speaker 2: It is not. The studio recording that they did is not out there. Mick Jager has joined them in concert to do it, and that was done at one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anniversary celebrations. Wow, that's that's been released. But the actual studio version with Mick Jagger on backing vocals doesn't ever come out.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's in.
Speaker 2: The archives that I hope we get to hear someday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they've they've released quite a quite a bit of stuff that I would think is from their archives. You know, a lot of those deluxe editions and things like that, you think it'd be in there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The deluxe edition of All That You Can't Leave Behind was a bit disappointing because there were only three unreleased pieces of music in there, and they were all remixes that just didn't make the cut in two thousand.
Speaker 1: Well tell me, is there anywhere I can find I love on Elevation. I love the version that's on the album, but the one that was for the video had at the end a little heavier. The edge is riff. It's the two Mader version and I cannot find that. You think it's on Spotify. I was trying to find it.
Speaker 2: It should be released as a single on Friday.
Speaker 1: What okay? What am I missing?
Speaker 2: YouTube's currently going through a little bit of a program where they're re releasing old singles.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, and.
Speaker 2: They've were Elevation should be the one that comes out on Friday. I'm hoping the tomb Raider version is in there. It wasn't on that big box that they did.
Speaker 1: Isn't it awesome? Kicks ass man? I love that.
Speaker 2: I know it should be out on Friday, though I would expect, so keep an eye on streaming services.
Speaker 1: Then, very nice, good timing. I'm glad, I asked. Yeah, so no one knows, Yeah, no one knows. Okay, So this album puts them back in the driver's seat. And then they returned with O four's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. There was something about long album titles. They were into. The record labels must have hated it, right, It's like you got to get something a little more catchy, something.
Speaker 2: I call it atomic Bomb and I write it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, number one and thirty four different countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to follow up on the success of an album, atomic Bomb was the way to do it. Grammy awards and charts and sales, and that Vertigo tour just sold like crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, here's another thing I didn't know until I read your book. They started recording with a twenty piece orchestra with a producer by the name of Chris Thomas, but then those were scrapped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris Thomas, famous first work with the Beatles.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay again, question are these songs out there?
Speaker 2: They are not out there. Very few of the songs that they worked on with Chris Thomas ever saw the light a day. They did a big box set with Apple on iTunes, the Complete U two and it was like a crazy amount of songs and you could only get it through iTunes, and you could only get the bonus stuff if you bought the whole thing. A couple of the early demos were on there, but not the orchestra stuff. So the orchestra stuff still remains unreleased, and I'm really interested if they're going to pull that out this fall for the twentieth anniversary of that album.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The question also is are they fully mixed? Where they done to completion? Do we even know.
Speaker 2: No idea where they got to in some of that? There were other songs that were cut off that album right at the last minute. There's a song that fans go on and talk about all.
Speaker 1: The time, Mercy, Mercy, Okay, Mercy.
Speaker 2: It's only ever been released as a live track and it was recorded many years later, but there was an original version recorded for Atomic Bomb. It was cut like right before the final mix of the album was done. They decided the album was too long and they hacked the song off the end. Best song they've done in years. I love that song.
Speaker 1: Really, Okay, I gotta look for that Mercy there.
Speaker 2: There is a studio version of it that leaked, and it's the original studio version because they were passing out copies of the album to let friends listen to, and the albums that they were passing out had mercy on the end of it, and then they chopped it at the last minute. Stupid move. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, some great, great pieces of trivia. On Vertigo. It had several working titles Hard Metal Jacket, Full Metal Jacket, Shark, Soup with the Hell, and and then I don't even know how to pronounce this correctly, Sopa do t baron.
Speaker 2: I believe that shark's soap in Spanish.
Speaker 1: Oh, I gotcha.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were playing with the Spanish thing there quite a bit. Ramone went on to become the Miracle of Joey Ramon.
Speaker 1: Jorm Okay and a Native Son was another title, and there they're said to According to your book, they're said to be over seventy five recorded versions of this song, seventy five.
Speaker 2: Steve Lilywhite did a podcast a few years ago and he said he came in and Bono brought out the song that he just loved, and he looked at Bonn and he said, are you going to be able to sing that live? And Bono was like, no, Well back to the drawing board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's in your book too. Wow.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting some of those songs they've teased and played with and I'd argue that what they've what they play live now is the best version that.
Speaker 1: They've got of that song of Vertigo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it would be interesting to hear some of those earlier versions.
Speaker 1: I think what's interesting from reading the book too, is just you just get a feel of this is something I was already pretty much aware of, but it just it's solidified the the the fact that the work ethic of you two and and the perfectionism and the you know, if it's just not right, we're going to start again. You know. They just they're not just gonna just Okay, we got enough songs, Let's just throw a few more tracks on there. Here's your album, and let's tour.
Speaker 2: I think we'd have a lot more albums if they weren't perfectionists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Just And sometime I wonder if what they had two or three months before the end of the album sessions isn't the better album.
Speaker 1: Sometimes Yeah, all right, now, here's here's where we get to your favorite U two albums. And this is shocking, not as shocking as your statement on Octune Baby, but this is this is I'm actually I'm with you on this one. Actually, by the way, but According to Youtuo songs dot Com, You're a big fan of the Unforgettable Fire Zuopa and the next album we'll talk about, which is two thousand and nine's No Line on the Horizon. I love this album.
Speaker 2: I love this album. Yeah, there is a joy in the music on this album that I just find gets under my skin. I could listen to this if I was on a desert island and had to pick one album to take with me. It's gonna be my remixed version of No Line on the Horizon, because I do have a version where I've rearranged it and taken a couple of things out and moved them around. So okay, there are a few choices I make that, but overall it's my favorite. All the songs end up in there. But I've got a different version of I'll Go Crazy that I put on my copy.
Speaker 1: What a great song, What a great song. But here we go again. Initial recording with Rick Rubin in two thousand and six, it was shelved.
Speaker 2: The only thing that came out of those sessions were The Saints Are Coming with Green Day and Window in the Skies. Both of them are on a best of package that they put out, but there's a whole album of Ruben tracks that they've never gone back to that they keep threatening to go back to.
Speaker 1: And what they just just weren't feeling the chemistry with Rick just you weren't feeling it. Because this is an interesting ACDC had the same issue with Rick Rubin. They when they worked with them, they just didn't.
Speaker 2: My understanding is Rubin expects you to show up and have songs, and he's going to record them and make them the best damn songs ever. You two walk in with nothing and expect to fiddle around in the studio and get help in creating songs and putting ideas together. Rubin wasn't ready to go that far back in the process with them, from what I understand, So he wanted them to come a little bit more ready to record. And they showed up with a bunch of sketches and they were looking for more of a Brian Eno treatment and they didn't get it.
Speaker 1: Well, they brought him back in, him and Brian and Daniel Lenoi. Yeah producers. Yeah, they came back in.
Speaker 2: They not only came in as producers with no line on the horizon, they're credited as co writers all.
Speaker 1: Right now, is that a first? They hadn't done that before.
Speaker 2: They hadn't done that except for Passengers our Eno and Howie Be and Pavarotti get some credit.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: That was released under her separate name. It wasn't released under You Two. This is the first time they brought somebody in as like songwriters with them.
Speaker 1: Get on Your Boots magnificent one of my all time favorite You two songs, and I'll Go Crazy if I don't go crazy Tonight the three singles. Yeah, and this was supposed to be double album too.
Speaker 2: It was Songs of a Cent was what the second half was turned into. And we still haven't had a release of that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You talked her a book about the album title. How Bono came up with that title No Line on.
Speaker 2: The Horizon looking out across the water from his house in Dublin, couldn't see the difference between sky and water.
Speaker 1: No Line on the Horizon, and that album cover very simple but so beautiful. I love that. And that's my an artist, I guess, a fairly well known artist, I think according to your book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's well known for those seascapes. He actually did one of them in the town that I grew up in So there's a touch of Sugimoto in ganesh at Home.
Speaker 1: Cool Cool. That's what's the name of the artist, Sugimoto. Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm with you man. It's a great album. It came at a time where things were starting to change as far as the radio, the way songs were distributed, the way things were promoted. Just the album did well, but not like previous You two albums, and I remember just being surprised by that. They they tried tried like hell to get it out there as much as they could, but it just didn't seem to to have.
Speaker 2: I think the record industry went right and YouTube went left. Yeah, they just didn't quite hit what was getting the attention at that point in time. And they tried hard. They had appearances on the Grammys, they pushed out remixes, they they tried to bring that campaign around, but that album got away from them. I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do remember being at the movie theater and they had I'll go Crazy if I don't go Crazy Tonight on one of the trailers, and I remember thinking, yeah, man, they're they're working it, you know, getting that music out, because you had to be creative in ways to get it because it used to be just mtvvh one, get your Videos on, get the Radio Play Tour.
Speaker 2: They loaned that one out to BlackBerry for an ad as well.
Speaker 1: That's what it was. Maybe that's where we were playing that Blackberriod.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they used that song for a couple of things along the line. But they really tried to get it out there. But I think they stumbled a bit with Get on Your Boots. That wasn't a song that really caught the attention of even YouTube fans tend to write it down as a least favorite song. And I actually kind of like it. And one of the things that I actually love about the book and going through and looking up all these songs, I had never really figured out what Get on Your Boots was about. Yeah, and then I found it was an interview in French, was in a French magazine and Bono was talking about being in the south of France and he went to the funfair with his wife and his daughter. He took the kids to the fair and they were there when the jets went I started flying overhead, going into Iraq from the UK. And that's the whole backbone of Get on Your Boots. It was get on your boots, were going to war, rockets said the Funfair and the planes going overhead. So it kind of added a layer to that song. But I never really got and I wouldn't have picked up if I hadn't gone rooting around for some odd interview in some French magazine from ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Podcasts we'll be back after this.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with the Magic Tones for the Armada rooms to our disco swing party after this shortbreak till then, don't you go change it.
Speaker 1: Another interesting aspect of this album is a moment of surrender in terms of promotion or in terms of just how that album was heard by a mainstream audience. I remember Rolling Stone had that as like the song of the year or something like that, and that song wasn't played on the radio once, which was so you know, that just said so much. It was like if Rolling Stone in the past had a YouTube song that was like the song of the year, it would have been one of those songs that was all over the place. You know, it was on the radio, it was on television everywhere, and I thought that was strange too.
Speaker 2: Moment of surrender. I struggled to get into Moment of Surrender. But it was one of those tour stops that was promoting that album. I was in Dublin and my friend Emma was beside me and she just closed her eyes when Moment of Surrender started and I watched the tears start coming down her cheeks. And it was the first time I think I stopped and listened to the song and it's it's become an absolute favorite, but it takes me back to that night in Dublin under the stars listening to that song. Wow, just one of those personal moments.
Speaker 1: Well, here's just a quick statement. This is from Wikipedia. Although it was not released as a single, Rolling Stone named Moment of Surrender the best song of two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: They also listed it in their top five hundred Songs of all Time.
Speaker 1: List YEP at one sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is as the first song that most people have never heard.
Speaker 1: Isn't it? Yeah? So let's move on now. Next three albums twenty fourteen Songs of Innocence, twenty seventeen Songs of Experienced, twenty twenty three Songs of Surrender. So the first two comprised of originals or the last they reworking of previous songs. Now, by the way, I think song with Songs of Innocence, the one that was forced onto the iPods. That was where that was a big right I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell my iPods story.
Speaker 1: Oh go ahead, but that's the one right songs one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm a bit of a techie guy, so I saw that Apple could force stuff onto your phone. I turned all that off. I made sure Apple wasn't putting anything on my phone. So when you two forced that onto everybody's phone, I couldn't get it. I was in a panic. I spent three hours on the phone with Apple's technical support try and get that.
Speaker 1: You were the reverse because all you ever here was people pissed off. I don't want this on my phone.
Speaker 2: I was. I was in a panic trying to get that album. I could not get it for the life of me. And it was because I didn't trust out Apple. I figured, what are they going to put on my phone? Are they going to download some crap something? So I turned it all off. The biggest YouTube in the world learned my last.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you think that was an obnoxious move? Or you know that was all the kids like? You know, come on, don't force me to listen to it. What was your position on that?
Speaker 2: I think that, yeah, it was it was obnoxious what Apple did. Apple shouldn't have done that. I don't think you too realize that's what they were going to do. And there's been some interviews since then that have suggested that they thought you were going to have to opt in, which I think would have been the better solution, but certainly got attention. And now it's the one thing you hear about you two, no matter who's talking about, it's always that damn album.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So now my question for you, though, is there a connection between the three albums? Is the songs of part of the three titles for a reason? To me, it's here's here's my here's my limited YouTube knowledge assessment of these Okay. To me, it's a journey through the band's childhood on the first one, adulthood on the second, and then on the last. To me, it's a band no longer constantly determined to push forward as much but embracing their past. Is that? How did I do?
Speaker 2: I think you're looking at a path. I think there's connecting tissue between what will probably be five songs of albums. There's two more to come from what I understand.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was gonna be one of my questions. Yeah, what's next?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't think we have the full picture yet, But I think innocence was their early days up until Josh Wittree. I think experience is looking back when they hit that crazy peak in adulthood, fame going around, Actung Baby, all of that chaos and craziness that followed them, the supermodels, the parties, all of that. I think surrender, like you said, is looking back and coming to terms with their whole career. Alder men, kind of looking back at their body of work and maybe a bit of maturity.
Speaker 1: Yep, because I should mention I don't think I mentioned it too. They're reworkings of previous songs. Those first two original Yeah, yeah, these are reworkings of previous songs.
Speaker 2: And then we don't know the titles of the next two for sure. But Songs of a Cent keeps getting brought in, so and that's said to be a song of him and spiritual songs. So I think that's going to be more a older man looking towards his end.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, Okay, okay, I think.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a very different album for you too. I would almost argue that that might actually be them looking to close or cap off their career at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it sucks to think of that, but hey, we just got the new Steven Tyler could he can't sing anymore, so he said, that's it Aerosmiths. They're done, and that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 2: But you got a few things before they get to that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna tell you how much how much longer do you think they have? Do you think they can? I mean, we've got we've got people like Springsteen and Bob Dylan or we're doing it now into their seventies up right up through hitting the eighty Mark Stones guys right away, late sixties and what are the early sixties, mid.
Speaker 2: Six Midsith Adams sixty five now, so you're heading retirement age for most of us. They're getting older. I think Bono will continue on in some shape or form even after you two may retire, But I don't know. I think you two have a couple of good albums left in them and maybe a couple of more tours, and then they'll probably start looking at doing less and less. It's been seven years now since the last album of new music.
Speaker 1: It's been that long, Yeah, twenty seventeen. Time flies. Yeah, well you did want to mention too, the Atomic City single, because that's the very latest that we've gotten from them. Yeah, and I forget is that in the newest? Is that in the book?
Speaker 2: It's in the final printed copy of the book. It was the last minute request I caught when that they were doing a new single to celebrate the Las Vegas Sphere shows, so ask the publisher if they could make room for one last song. So it's just a brief mention, but the book is complete. It has everything up to date, including Atomic Cities.
Speaker 1: How nice is that? So? Atomic City? What's it about? And what is your opinion of the song?
Speaker 2: A touch of a love affair with Vegas, a little love letter to them. There's references to Lady Luck and Sinatra. Some of that. The atomic side goes back to the atomic bomb testing in the desert outside of Las Vegas, so there's a lot of that. I think it was really done specifically for those shows that they were doing in Las Vegas as a way to promote them and to get it out there, and it was a way to remind people that hey, even though we're showing up on stage with a temporary drummer, here's Larry Mullen and the first person we're going to show you on stage with us, that's Fear, is Larry Mullen in the Atomic City video.
Speaker 1: And there is there's a call back to a Blondie song called Me Right. There's like a post punk yeah.
Speaker 2: Blondie and Giorgio Moroder co writing credits on this song. It's one of the few times You two has put a co writing credits.
Speaker 1: So so You Two is alive and well and we're looking forward to what's coming next. And in the book is out now You two, song by song. It's out through front Hill Media. You can find it wherever books are sold and Aaron where can people find you online if you want to plug the YouTube song site as well.
Speaker 2: We've been working on a little fan site called YouTube song dot com since nineteen ninety five. It's probably the oldest continual operated YouTube website under on the Internet these days. So there's a team of about half dozen of us that put in a few hours a week keeping it up. News shows big focus on collections and collectibles.
Speaker 1: So I love it so there was a time when people were going to that website and you can hear the modem like the old dial up, the old dial up trying to get to the website. It goes back that far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's been around longer than you two have had their own website and operations.
Speaker 1: So that's awesome. Yeah, and if any anywhere people can find you, I know you're on x or Twitter or whatever we call it.
Speaker 2: I'm on Twitter. We've got a site account, YouTube songs, and I'm also on there as YouTube wanderer.
Speaker 1: Yes, you two wonder at you two wonder?
Speaker 2: Yeah, call back to one of my favorite songs, the one they did with Johnny Cash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did an excellent job on the book, and I'm so glad we were able to make contact and I was able to get you on the show because this is you two man, The're right up there in my top five. So I was, yeah, looking very much forward to this interview. And again, congratulations on a great book. Thank you for that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I really tried to put together something that didn't just stick to facts and figures. I wanted a little glimpse into where these songs ended up in the world. Who has called them favorites, what fans have taken and done with them. So it's a little bit of love affair with the songs, and I.
Speaker 1: Think it's a great series front Hill Media has. I think it's great as now we go into the next into the future with generations of fans that will discover these bands. It's a great way to to just to get an idea of the body of work from these from these bands, these great artists. You know, especially as the years go on, you know they're not gonna be wrong forever.
Speaker 2: I went picked up the Abba book when I was writing mine just to have a look through at what they had done. I learned a lot about Abba I wouldn't have known otherwise. So I hope the YouTube book brings a few people into the band, but may have missed out on a few things along the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could read it from start to finish, or you can just if you're listening to a YouTube song and you're curious about it, you just flip through and find the entry and read about it. That's what I love about these books. It's great, so great. Yeah, thanks again erin Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: It's in the books.