Speaker 1: Hi, my name is David Hannah. I'm the author of Broken Nicarus. My new book is about the nineteen thirty three Chicago World's Fair aviation in the Rise of Fascism. You're listening to the Doctor Sky Experience in seventy seven of you ABC.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, letters and Zutoman to the exciting Doctor Sky Experience on America's iconic radio station, Talk Radio seventy seven WABC out of New York City and around the world. The Doctor Sky Experience has great interviews from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather with celebrity guests in the mix, and as an added bonus, great guests from the realms of American exceptionalism. As we continue to talk about truth, justice in the American way and to make all that happen for Progon on it to have our producer as part of this particular program, doctor d Richard Dugan, who makes it all happen. The pack and relax, ladies and gentlemen, a very special guest today just a moment a brief introduction of our author and guest, David Hannah, a Brand of Prometheus Books book entitled Broken Icarus. The nineteen thirty three Chicago World's Fair, The Golden Age of Aviation and the Rise of Fascism. But a brief introduction of our special guest is in order. David Hannah was raised on the coast of May and he teaches history at Stuyvesant High School in New York, and he is a recipient of the New York Times Teachers Make a Difference Award and the University of Chicago's Outstanding Educator Award. In addition to today's book, he's also the proud author of Knights of the Sea Rendezvous with Death, and he's here today to talk about this iconic book that's so timely today, especially if you're a fan of aviation and American history. A little backtrack on the book, and sideline goes like this, in the nineteen thirties, they still conjure painful images, the great want of the depression, and overseas, the exuberant crowds, motivated by self appointed national saviors dressing up old hatreds as new ideas. But there was another story that embodied mankind in that decade. In the same year that both Adolf Hitler and Franklin D. Roosevelt came to power the city of Chicago stage what was up to that time the most forward looking international exhibition in history, that is the nineteen thirty three World's Fair. It looked to the future undebashionedly as one of the full glowing promise of the future, that particular exhibition a century of progress. Here to tell us about that is David Hannah. David, thank you for joining us today and thank you for being with us.
Speaker 1: That's my pleasure to just guy, Well.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I mean, this is a fascinating book. And yes I did read the book from cover to cover, and who wouldn't want to because it has so much great information here. And of course, as you know we've spoken before this interview what great interests we both share in the world of aviation and in history. But tell us the power behind this and the motivation for writing the book. It's so timely for those that are interested in aviation. But let's hear what you have to say. How did it all evolve?
Speaker 1: Well, it was partly an interest that I had in World's Fair since I was very young. I just found them fascinating and this particular World's Fair was one that was as you earlier reference was particularly forward looking, really the first of the World's Fairs to be so forward looking. You know, if you think about television series like Star Trek Jean Roddenberry's Star Trek, or for instance, the animated series The Jetsons, you can see a direct line back to the nineteen thirty three Chicago World's Fair. And then of course there's the experimental prototype City of Tomorrow EPCOT that was built by Disney in Florida and so, which really fascinates me. And so that was part of it. The other part was the thirties, looking at this period because the period we generally associate with the road to World War two all that that entails, which is a pretty dark chapter in world history. But there's this moment sort of just before everything sort of goes wrong, if you will, where that was still out there in the future. You know, no one knew, they didn't know that was necessarily the case. There certainly was a feeling Hitler had been in power for a few months at that point, and there was a feeling that Hitler was going to have to be confronted in some way. But again, the idea of going to war that I don't think that was on people's minds at the time, and so there's that element. And then in terms of aviation, it was the for me, it was the most logical way to approach trying to explain the Fair to people because it was explicitly promoted by the Fair as the main motif. If you look at, for instance, the main promotional poster, it features seaplanes, it has zeppelins, it has blooms ascending to the stratosphere, because they knew as they had already set up the calendar that they were going to have events featuring aviation, and these attempts to reach the stratosphere spaced out over a period of time in the Fairs calendar, and that was that was going to be the sort of the common thread that pulled it all together for people, and it was something that was still sure, It was still a wonder wonder of it all element that I think today we lack. You know, we check in, we go, you know, we go through security, we get on our plane where you know, we were flying from New York Chicago exacting much of it, but that we weren't there quite yet at that point, and so it was very exciting for people.
Speaker 2: Well, David, as we go into this particular story here. I just want to bring up a little bit of a let's go back in the time capsule kind of thing here. Let's imagine that we're going back and doing a little promo for this particular event, just to put people in the right mindset as we explore with you the author, some of the great details of how this came about. So we'll say it this way, folks, come to the World's Fair in Chicago. A century of progress made the twenty seventh to the November the first. How about this? Adults fifty cents and children twenty five cents. But you know, even though that's not a super promo, it still tells a lot. But the picture is worth more than a thousand words.
Speaker 3: The million dollar Hall of Science shown here is the central building of the Cargo's nineteen thirty three World's Fair. Its outstanding feature is the optical Illusion Tower, which gives the impression of being a real skyscraper, although actually it is only one hundred feet high. This building also stresses the modern in architecture. Its main entrance is designed along modernistic lines, which will focus attention on a center fountain to be illuminated by reflected light. Here is a replica of Fort Dearborn, reconstructed from the plans of Captain Whistler, who originally built it on the site from which modern Chicago grew. This is the Administration Building, another modernistic marble where all business pertaining to the fair will be handled. And now you see the Travel and Transport Building. Its unique feature is the roof a dome suspended by steel cables. On June first, nineteen thirty three, the World's Fair will open, dedicated to a century of progress.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just so amazing. I'm looking here inside the cover of this particular book of yours, and these posters are just so outstanding. This art deco off the charts. I just love it. And I'm definitely going to get a poster like this and put it in my office someday. I mean, I just love that era. But David, let's talk a little bit more about this. I mean, let's talk about how this particular fair got started. It's not easy to do a World's Fair. And then later I want to talk a little bit about the connection to astronomy, because maybe I've said this incorrectly to some of my audience. When we do the astronomy programs about a certain star in the heavens and it's connection to this fair. But talk about how the whole fair got started, who was behind it, how did it get funded, and why was it so successful? I understand it was what one of the first profitable world's fairs of all time? Am I right?
Speaker 1: Yes, Well it's interesting because you know the timing we look back at it, you know, it's happening right in the middle of the depression. These were you know, pretty rough times to say the least. But it was planned during the Roaring twenties, when you know, there were times of plenty, and so that's important to note, you know that to run I'd rather put on a fair, uh this size. It took years to put that together. But what it happened was was that, uh, there was a mixed reception uh in city Hall for having a fair. They were willing to endorse it, but they weren't really really interested in diverting any funds for it. And the you know, the sort of the big civic boosters in the city, well connected Chicago's like for instance, Rufus Dawes and his brother Charles does uh decided that well that that's how we want to do it. So they decided that it's going to be strictly a private sector run fair And for those of your listeners who feel that it's better to, you know, let the government government get out of the way and let the private sector do it, I mean, this is one of This is an example of something that really did work. I mean really that that held up really well. Now, one of the interesting things is that that generation of leaders is in Chicago. UH, They're one of their main experiences as adults was the World War One and World War one.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons why the United States contribution was so effective was because we were in that era very interested in efficiency. It was something that was the watchword for the time in business and in industry. And they had been involved in purchasing UH materials and oversight for the American Expeditionary Force in France. And they hired this guy named Lennox Lore who was the real can do efficient, dynamic guy with tremendous energy, who knew exactly were they were all. The thing about it, they were all on the same page. You know, you didn't have a lot Once they decided what they were going to do uh. They there was not a lot of fall in terms of a falling out this disagreement. They were they were looking towards the same goal and lenox Law was absolutely the right guy to get this done to see it through. Now, what he did with the Dowses connections both in business and politics and then his own can do nohow from his experience during World War One, was to reach out to private businesses, so for instance, like a ge or a Westinghouse or a Chrysler Corporation Ford and convince them that what they should do, instead of having their separate promotional pavilions, that they should feature basically their industry and all work together show the best of their industry and the most forward looking light to create. I guess you could say cooperative sort of by industry, and that was one of the things that made it very successful and very exciting. And it also ties back to what you had mentioned about the way that the fair literally started with this kind of a publicity stump and a way of showing the power of technology to harness, for instance, light from a star that is thousands of light years away.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd like to get into that, but I want to mention to everybody listening. You are listening to the Doctor Sky experience with me, Doctor Sky. We're on America's iconic radio station, Yes Talk Radio seventy seven WABC in New York City and around the world. We're here, of course, not only on the air, but also on wabcradio dot com, where you can of course follow us on our podcast and our blog. Reports here on great subjects like astronomy, space, aviation, and weather, celebrity guests in the mix, and stories about American exceptionalism as we continue to talk about truth, justice in the American way and fitting right into this mold I mean perfectly in my opinion, is author David Hannah, a brand new book and Broka Nicharist the nineteen thirty two Chicago World's Fair, The Golden Age of Aviation and the Rise of Fascism Prometheus Books book. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you can get just about anywhere, and I encourage you to do that. But let's talk a little bit more. In the time we have here, David, this is just fascinating as you're bringing us into the enlightenment of how the fair got started. Talk a little bit more. Let's start off with this Italian aviator that I think really rocks the world and he does something amazing, this individual Italo Balbo. Talk about him and what did he bring to Chicago, but a little bit more about him, and also maybe on the dark side, talk a little bit about the rise of fascism that's starting to evolve in the world, not only with Hitler of Mussolini and the story of Italo Balbo.
Speaker 4: Aviation's greatest pete of that year with the mass flight of an Italian air armide unto the Chicago World's Fair. General Hitelo Balbo led his fleet of twenty four giant seaplanes, landing in fall us array only sixty one hundred mile return flight to Orbatello, Italy. He paused to receive a heroes.
Speaker 5: Welcome from New York City.
Speaker 4: Minion's jam on Broadway to cheer a Balbo his nineties six officers and men perhaps the most effective goodwill ambassadors from Italy during Musolinese and tire reign.
Speaker 1: Well it's a little Balbo was part of that. He was somebody who was a veteran of World War One. He eventually joined up with the black Shirts in Italy to the rise of Mussolini, who was the first fascist dictator. The fascists saw their movement essentially as an antidote to communism in the Bolshviek Revolution had happened in Russia and it scared a lot of people at the time. And they also they were either impatient or unimpressed with liberal democracy. They felt that it was weak. They weren't, you know, they especially in countries like for instance, Italy and Germany where it was a lot of turmoil after World War One. They weren't stable countries like our own, and that has a lot to do with it. But what happened is one of his rewards for backing Mussolini was to become the head of the Aeronautica, the Italian Air Force, and he eventually become a advocate of instead of having like say the Charles Lindberg, you know, the Lone Eagle, which is remarkable trans Atlantic crossing in nineteen twenty seven, he wants to organize large groups of planes to make cruises and he does this to the around the Mediterranean, eventually across the South Atlantic to Brazil. But the most ambitious was this these two dozen Savoya Marchetti seaplanes and these giant seaplanes that were going to cross the North Atlantic after sort of jumping over from Iceland and then to Labrador and then go up to Saint Lawrence across the Great Lakes and then descend on Lake Michigan. Of course this would take this obviously, couldn't do this all on one shot.
Speaker 2: And it's no easy feet by the way, I mean, this is tremendous in the time we're talking about even today for that type of airplane, it's not.
Speaker 1: Really very dangerous. Yeah, it was quite dangerous. And then you know the one I said, the thing of all of these avias, and I guess you could say that those that anticipate, you know, the space race to a large degree, they were making this up as they went along, you know. And but somebody has to that's the thing. Somebody has to be the pioneer, or we wouldn't benefit with our ability to for instance, like I said, just you know jet from city, you know, from city to city without thinking much about it. Somebody had to do this and so and this was at a time, by the way, it was interesting. It wasn't clear that the airplane landing on hard ground with wheels was going to be the mode. You know, many thought that the seaplane was a better option, you know, landing on water, and of course there were the Zeppelins. But anyway, when when Babbel came, he was just such a sensation. It was a tremendously charismatic guy, and it was the city just there was this euphoric the reception that he received. People talking about how beautiful it was seeing these planes land in form precision formation like Michigan on a beautiful summer day. And he was able to he was he liked people that also helped, right, and so yeah, and then it felt that And it's interesting because he was a fascist, and for instance, socialists were at arms, up in arms about the fact that he's being welcome because they battled in the streets of Italy in the twenties and he you know, it's interesting because he he was never comfortable. For instance, when Mussolini started kind of getting close to Hitler and he warned against it, and he was certainly not willing to parrot the anti Semitic line. He explicitly said that that has no part of that in his vision of Italian identity. But he was a black shirt. And when we look back and it's interesting. You know, I've seen, you know, the clips of the planes over Chicago sky Line and you see all of them information and you hear the propellers roaring, and we know, of course World War two is coming. In a lot of times when we hear that, we think, oh, gosh, you oh.
Speaker 2: I read it between the lines their day. But I read it between the lines that I feel the great you know, dislike if not, I hate the word hatred between Mussolini and Bobo as he becomes such a hero to the people. In other words, the jealousy factor with Mussolini, who's off the charts, as I read well in the book, Am I correct?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really hard for Babo to walk the fine lines because the more success he had then the more that that caused a rift with he and Mussolini. Muslim eventually packed him off to an Italian colony in North Africa, and in some ways it was the best thing that ever happened to Balbol because he was sort of out of commission as things started to go in really the really bad direction. But he wound up getting shot down by friendly fire at the very beginning of the war in North Africa. But he really did he made He was really quite quite a characters. But it's controversial even today in Chicago. You know, I've talked to people there's a street really quite quite a nice street that leads down to the lake, and they've talked about, well, should we change it since Balbo Drive? You know, should we change it because the fashion? It seems that at the time, And I think even to a degree today, I think Chicagoans differentiate between him and Mussolini, and I think they'll probably I would be surprised if, say what to change that street name, but of course is up to Chicago and.
Speaker 2: It's filling it up absolutely, and now what they're tearing it down. Of many statues across the country, I mean, this is something that I'm sure is on people's minds that are very sensitive to things like this. You know, this is quite fascinating, David as we talk about this. But what I wanted to shift ears on is something from the world of astronomy, which is even more to me, I don't know, just so amazing. I read about this a long time ago. Let's go back, Dadeline May twenty seventh, nineteen thirty three. A telescope is settl along the shores of Lake Michigan to open up the World's Fair and in tribute to the star which we all know in the world of astronomy is Arcturist, This orange red super giant star obviously a distance now of about forty light years away, Simbab, is that the star light that left in eighteen ninety three, the last of the great Fairs? This star light opened up the World's Fair. I want to hear more about this because I don't know much about it, but I'm fascinated about it. Very much accurate. Correct, that's what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's about That's about right. May twenty seventh was opening day and they had a big crowd. But then at night, once it started to get dark, closer towards I guess getting on towards nine, they had a planned event and the event was to capture the light from Arcturists and ge and Westinghouse had collaborated with some of the top university research scientists who were working in astronomy and also in the field of electronics. And one of the things that was also interesting about it was that forty years you just mentioned, because everybody who would have been of a certain age at that time in Chicago would have remembered at forty years frier had been the famous eighteen ninety three Chicago World's Fair, the White City. And so the idea that this light that was traveling towards Earth took forty years to reach us had been generated by this giant red orange star on the you know, the sort of the halo, the milky way, you know, they timed that that was something that they had promoted, that there's a forty years as you said, and so that it's you know, it's it's connecting back to the city's own heritage with its first fair.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so they harnessed the light and then these photo electric cells essentially captured the light and they used it to then essentially light up the what was called the what was it was this fountain, They called it the lagoon, but it was it was actually it's it's like a little sort of arm of the lake and Northerly Aisle and the lakefront. And they had this magnificent rainbow colored light show that would that started up, which people loved. And it's interesting because if you go to Epcot every evening, they have in this central pool the same type of technicolor uh light show. Walt Disney had visited the nineteen thirty three Chicago World's Fair and was very interested in a lot of both the scientific futuristic exhibits and then also the sort of the Midway, you know, the you know, the there was actually a mock Belgian town and so forth, and so anyway, there's a direct connection. But then it lit it up and people just were thrilled by it. And also there was a lot of neon used for the first time. Joseph Urban was this set designer who was a genius. He actually never got to see it because he had he died, but he had planned everything so you'd have this this neon using essentially lightless architecture and this was all call it up and what they did. People loved it so much that they went through the same process of harnessing this light from arcturists every night. And so this was so popular. And the Adler Planetarium if you know Chicago and chicag listening, of course, that still exists that way. I've been giful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, David, this is just a fascinating story because you know, I just envied that, I mean, the time period Neon starlight, the most amazing exhibits your story as we continue to move through time and space. David Hannah, our guests here in the Doctor Sky Experience, as we talk about great stories, ladies and gentlemen, had a great vote broken Nicarus, the nineteen thirty three Chicago Worlds Fare, the Golden Age of aviation, and the rise of fascism. You know I'm moving fast forward here, but my gosh, I want to learn so much about this, and so do our listeners. The big era of Zeppelins and a man that I'm so fascinated by. I want to just tell us everything you about we can in this short interview. You go Eickner, a real genius of the aircraft that we call lighter than air, the Zeppelin, to describe him and his creations there in Germany. I mean, this is a fascinating store.
Speaker 5: That famous old German original the Glass Septain comes running up from Real She stops at Miami on her way from the Argentine, a hop of over four thousand miles. This is her fourth flight to America and she has flowned two hundred and seventy five thousand miles all over the globe. So she knows her way about it, and she certainly knows how to land her. Veteran commander, Doctor Heickner comes down the ladder and is greeted by Florida officials. Doctor Hickner fired to the glass Septin around the world in nineteen twenty nine and has successfully planned seventeen thousand persons on more than two hundred and fifty flights. A brief rest and then she's off again, on way to Chicago, where she circles over the wild Staff. She takes a look at the sky ride and on over the planetarium. Finally offer competes today of the exhibition. The John Dasher lands again once more with the atlass and grace. In fact, she makes it look easier.
Speaker 1: Hugo Eckner was a real renaissance man. He had many interests and actually he had learned earned his PhD. Not an engineer in aviation like you might think, but actually in the humanity social scientists rather. But what happened was he got a job as a basically like a pr guy for the original Zeppelin company, which was founded by this old German officer named Ferdinand of one Zeppelin, and eventually he fell in love with the whole project, and then he wanted to learn to actually pilot them and design them. So he went from pr into actually, you know, actually piloting them and designing them, and he became the real face of the of the zeppelin. It was more than just a type of aviation. It was almost like a movement because Zeppelins represented this this magical wondrous who he could called it a silvery or fish, you know, that would come out of the clouds, that would connect all of mankind. He in nineteen twenty nine went on an around the world tour that was sponsored by William Randolph Hurst, and you know, to show the zeppelin to people from all over the world, people who would have been familiar with them, people who probably thought they were from out of space, who had no idea. It's pretty remarkable story, he thought as something that would connect people. And the graph zeppelin grafting in count was the you know, the nun plus ultra in Zeppelins and zeppelin travel. At that time, it was already involved in passenger service between you in Brazil.
Speaker 2: Well, this is amazing, David, because you're talking about something almost eight hundred feet long, and we've all seen good dear blimps, and of course in that particular World's Flare in nineteen thirty three, they even had one, as you describe in the book. But it's so amazing. I almost imagine the startling phenomenon that that would give the senses if you even saw the thing. And knowing that I talked to you af Air about this, I said that apparently it came across and you you accurately described it, because you're the historian that the obvious thing is it came from let's say, say from Los Angeles, moving again and back east. It probably came across where I am in Arizona, I believe what in nineteen twenty nine, And cause you imagine people in the outer you know, in farmlands and in rural areas, seeing something like that. You're right, it would look like some kind of a spaceship from another world. But what I'm trying to describe and have you described better, Flying and maintaining this was not an easy task. I mean it was all subjected to the winds. I mean you really didn't have much control over them. So it was a little bit of luck, I guess, but also great uh, you know, piloting on behalf of of Bugo and and his his staff describe this it's just amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting. Eckener said that you don't it's not like you pilot it or drive it. He said essentially that you you sort of voyage. It's like he saw its almost like a sea type of you know, there was the kind of knowledge you needed at sea, would be the kind of knowledge that you would bring to bear, particularly with the weather. It's interesting because he was from Denmark. I mean he was from actually a part of Germany that had been part of Denmark just before he uh and just that just before he was born rather and so he always talked about, you know that he had this sort of Viking blood. He spent a lot of time as a as a young boy out on the Baltic Sea, sailing by himself, and he really got a sense of the weather. This is a guy who had an uncanny understanding of the weather, and that was crucial in his success because quite frankly, these types of giant airships, particularly with of course hydrogen instead of hem in their cells, that kept them aloft. I mean that it was it was you know, it was just asking in many ways for a really tragic event, like what happened with the Hindenburg in Lake Kirst, New Jersey. It was really, I said, a kind of a dicey proposition, and it wasn't just luck. I think that there was again this element of understanding the weather in a way that in many ways this is and this is somewhat problematic. There were other fine Zeppelin captains. He wasn't the only one, but in many ways he was essential to the whole project and to make it work, to make it be viable as a passenger service, you can't depend on one person, and that I think was ultimately one of the problems. But Eckiner, Uh, you know, there's also another thing I actually was. I went to the Zeppelin Company in Fardic Safe in Germany, and my wife and I went up in the parent zeppelin, which is Zeppelin Anti. This is more of a day trip kind of thing. It was wonderful there in the fourth Hills of the Alps. But I talked to one of the one of the most experienced pilots of airships, both Zeppelins, the small smaller Zeppelins now and of course the blimps which we're all familiar with, and he said that it really was basically kind of lucky in many respects. Rather, he really was kind of lucky in some respects that in his opinion, these types of ships are not meant to be brought across oceans. Uh And and and again, this is the guy who really admires you knows a lot about him. The Zeppelin company prominently features him in their promotional film that all the passengers watch before they go off on their day trips. But he felt that it was it was really pushing it to do that. And I thought that was interesting coming from him, because it's just something this is something that's his life's you know, his life's work.
Speaker 2: Well, what's amazing to me, David, is that when they had passenger service, I mean there's descriptions of flying to South America or other places around the world. I mean, here you have this gondola that has areas where people can sleep, you have hot water, they're actually cooking with fire, and above them are these giant flammable gas bags. And yet the description that the people had on this and I'm sure what in those days they paid primo would be like what flying or going onto a luxurious cruise ship. Today the top accommodation, first class and beyond. But the point is it did have the capability of transporting people and even over the ocean there was somewhat near disasters where some of some of the coverings ripped off, and Hugo knew how to maintain this, and lucky for him and lucky for the ship, the Zeppelin, it made it through these storms. But they could have got eate and seriously just crashed into the ocean for the less capable piloting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was again, particularly if you look at the North Atlantic crossings. But you know, it's interesting, know when you look at the South Atlantic crossings to Brazil, that service never had any major mishaps and it was eventually discontinued just because after what happened with the Hindenburg at Lakers, because just the imagery of that, you know, that newsreel was seen by so many people and it just sort of assumed that, you know, certainly without helium anyway, no one was in their right mind was going to book passage on a zeppelin after seeing that film. Course so unforgettable. I'm sure you've seen it. I mean, oh it's hard electonic, you know, Well, let's go.
Speaker 2: Back in time here, not to rush it, but let's go back to October twenty sixth, nineteen thirty three, something that I never knew. And folks, when you get to read David's book, you'll get the full skinny on it. The Zeppelin itself, the Grove actually came to the Chicago World's Fair. But a little bit of controversy I think you can describe better at this particular time, one side of the vessel itself or the airship, the Zeppelin and Blake was emblazoned with the swastika, and the other side was not tell us about that story because it actually came over Chicago. This is amazing. I never knew that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is an interesting story, and I wasn't able to get anything well definitive enough, let's put it that way. So there there's one interpret sort of interpretation of events. Essentially this that HUGO Ackner intentionally when he piloted the craft. He was coming from Akron, Ohio to the Zeppelin Goodyear headquarters here in the United States and coming to the fair that early morning. The idea was to make a big swing around Chicago. So like sort of what the West side and then go up to the northern part of the city do more. And then he he left the craft and his number two then piloted it back to Akron, and he stayed in the city and promoted the Zeppelin project and did it in such a way that you couldn't see the side with the swast And again, this is pretty compelling. This is pretty compelling evidence about it. On the other hand, there are other sources that say that that's not what happened. He did the sort of more direct route right on the lake front and then came back down. Though without getting into two months detail, I think I just one of these things where it was probably probably better if they read the section of the book because it's a lot of minutia. And I'll tell you I dug into everything from wind directions that morning and offend the great job newspapers, and it was just it was it was hard to pin it down. But I will say this is that I did have the opportunity to interview his grandson, doctor hue Eckner, who lives in Switzerland now, and he said that he knew his grandfather and he said that his grandfather said that he'd done that previously earlier in nineteen thirty three over other cities, and that was what got my attention. In other words, it wasn't a one off because he was flying the graf Zeppelin in nineteen thirty three. Hitler came to power in early thirty three, Joseph Gerbels was Hitler was not a fan of the Zeppelins, but Joseph Gerbels saw them as this great opportunity to spread Nazi propaganda, and so Eckner was constantly trying to keep his distance from him, and eventually this is a battle he lost, because as long as he wanted to stay in Germany, you either had to sort of.
Speaker 2: Play ball to a degree or you had to absolutely.
Speaker 1: But in the beginning he was able. He was such a celebrity Acner himself that he was able to kind of use that to keep them at a sort of at bay for a while and really Chicago and the fall of nineteen thirty three was really the last time he was really a free agent. In this instant, he could do something that he on his own to make kind of a quiet statement, is like I'm not on board with what's going on back in my home country. I love my country. But this isn't what I want it to be. And so you know, I find it to be very believable. And again there are reports from other sources that you know, who are actually want in particular, who was on the zeppelin that morning, who said this exactly what happened. It's interesting because you know, there was in Chicago itself, there was a very strong large German American community and they were not most of them were not very thrilled with Hitler, to say the least. And so they were there to greet Eckner, and they had insisted to the fair that the Nazi swast could not fly anywhere at the fair. And mostly the biggest group actually most important in this were actually German American women. They insisted that this does not represent us, we don't want this, and they want Waka never flew at the fair, and they backed actually a Jewish Chicago and Jewish American group in Chicago of another women's group and showing solidarity with them. And so acronym was interesting because when he had to go to Chicago, he got invited to all the whirlwind of dinners. The same thing happened to the Bible. Got it just tires you out thinking about all the all these my house that they had to you know, in his hands they had to shake, and the toast and oh my gosh. But he had to walk a fine line between basically, you know, saying kind of are acting the way he wanted to, and then having to meet with some other groups that were not representing most of the German American community who are fanatically pro Nazi. It was awkward, like, for instance, he wouldn't give the Nazi salute and that kind of thing, and that was noted, and so it was, you know, it was it's the kind of thing. It's just when I was reading about and learning about Act, it seemed like this is the kind of thing. It's just like I could see something like that real life, if you're in a dictatorship. So the Doctor's Guy, I don't know, it must have been. It must have been really tough.
Speaker 2: Oh well, The Doctor's Guy experience continues here on Talk Radio seventy seven w ABC. Our special guests, as you're hearing and proud to call them a friend, is Davidannah the book Broken Ecurse, the nineteen thirty three Chicago Worlds There the Golden Age of aviation and the rise of fascism during a few moments, as we can move toward the end of this interview, sad to say, and hopefully we can do this in a much longer interview as time permits in the future. Let's talk about if, folks, if you think that the aviation side of the tallow balbow is fascinating, And it is, and we'll go heck there. Of course, with our talking about zeppelins, let's talk about the the cards and moving on to the stratosphere and the connection to this particular World's Fair in Chicago. It's a great story.
Speaker 7: Well, in a few words, is the message you are carrying to the American people. Professor I didn't tend what this wolved looks like from ten nights.
Speaker 6: I didn't tend about the stratosphere.
Speaker 8: The stratosphere is a six hour root between New York and Price.
Speaker 6: It will soon be open to traffic.
Speaker 8: It may points the way to universal brotherhood and a Carman piece.
Speaker 6: I hope so Frank is often close Spanish understanding.
Speaker 8: Rappy transportation between the two hemisphere will settled nineer disputes. I hope a neutral flag will be avoided in the stratosphere to prevent it ever being used to military purposes. The intercontinental Highway linking the old and the New worlds holds the promise of mutt will have confidence.
Speaker 6: When they are only six hours.
Speaker 8: Apart, the strange power of space will be of common Europe and America will be next door neighbors. They will drop in from each other and set the tub over a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is really in many ways my favorite part. So this is the beginning of space exploration, and it starts with trying to determine the source of cosmic race and having them measured by actual scientists using instruments on you know that they basically we're talking about on the edge of outer space. And this goes back to some of the some of the debates going on in physics at the time. And the first person to essentially see the Earth from the edge of outer space was a ghost Picard. He's a chemist, excuse me sorry, a physicist from from Switzerland. He had a twin brother and they've been interested in ballooning since they were kids. So they had One thing I like about the Picards, the brothers, is that the really great example of men of science. The John Picard who was a ghost twin was a chemist. Was that they were men of science, but they also were men of action. They wanted to do it themselves. Their father had encouraged this, and I think this is a really good message for young people today that you know, the best science is that the type that you're actually you know, going out and experimenting yourself and learning through trial and error and to a certain degree taking risk. And this is something that I really admire about the book cards, that they were willing to do this.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: A Gous was the first and then he eventually repeated it in Europe, and the affairs organizers wanted to become very famous and they wanted him to come and do another launched at the altitude record from Chicago, but he wasn't interested in doing that. But he said, you know, my brother is living in the United States. He was working in R and D. And his wife actually was from a prominent Chicago family, Jeannette Ridley, and they actually had met at the University of Chicago when she was a grad student. He was a professor and professor there. Anyway, they so they were working with him, but they were never really keen, and eventually they decided that they were going to have a navy man do it Tech Settle and the first launch from Soldier Field you know where the Bears play now, was really a fiasco. There's no business launching a balloon of that size. You know I did there.
Speaker 2: I'd learned something by reading your book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the stories story is tall and he eventually it caught on some wires and actually he was fortunate that it wasn't a disaster because not only it was so close to the fairgrounds. They eventually did eventually break the record. He and then he had a co pilot Chester forty later in nineteen thirty three, but they didn't do it actually from the fairgrounds. But the Cards had insisted because they had been the people behind the design of the capsule in particular, but also the balloon. They're nohow working with now chemical Union Carbide in some of these other co corporations, and the Cards and insisted that look, once you're done with it, meaning the fair Century of progressis it's called, we want it as long as it's still usable. Well it was still usable, and so what happened is is that Jean Picott and his wife Jeanett Picard, then wanted to go and make a attempt a stratosphere record or excuse me, altitude record into the stratosphere while also conducting experiments based on this research into cosmic rays that was being done by Arthur Holly Compton and Robert Milliken. And the problem was, of course, well it's uh, well actually not of course. Rather but the problem was that Jean Piqatt didn't have a balloon lice in the United States, even though he'd phoned balloons in Europe with his brother, and so he wanted he was taking he took the science in very seriously. It was going to acquire a lot of attention. And Jeanett Picott, his wife, was like, I'll do it. And now this is the time when having a female.
Speaker 2: Aviatrix's that was the normal, right, Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Have Bessie Coleman, you had Amelia Earhart. It wasn't seen as as so students. The problem was she was a mother, had a bunch of young sons, and for instance, Dole Chemical, you know like, no, we don't want our label on it on on the gondola national geographically, they hope was going to help sponsor it was cold feet, and it really was the fact that she was a mother. They thought, no, you're taking tremendous risks. What you're doing could kill you very easily. And she basically, you know her her feeling was that, you know, what kind of message does that send to our sons that here we have a chance to further the field of sort of the edge of outer space in terms of exploration and science. And you know, we don't want them to be afraid. We want them to be renovators, risk takers, doing themselves, and this is a chance for us to show that. And so then her sons actually took part in the launch. What happened was was that even though she was from Chicago, they ultimately weren't able to get the backing there. But Henry Ford stepped in and Henry Ford, through his connections in Detroit, was able to get backing from various companies. There was a radio company, for instance, there was an outfitting company. He also was able to call on or Will Right Uh to come and Uh provide oversight for her training as a balloon pilot. So these guys Right and Ford were very progressive in terms of essentially as we would call it just empowering women. It's interesting because Ford is one of these guys. You know, there's things about him that are very admirable in others, like his anti Semitism, which you're very distasteful to say the least exactly, but in this, in this, in this, but in this regard, he really was very progressive. And with their help and the help of some other folks that Jean Picard had worked with in R and D, they were able to get this effort together and they eventually set a record not for the overall record which uh for for uh for altitude, but for a for a woman. And they were uh in the the top five when they had made the and she held that record until the Soviet Cosmo Terrascova broke it in nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 2: Amazing story. I know we're coming to the end of our time with you today, but sadly to say that, but I just wanted to give you the floor the moment here. The question that I always ask every guest is, in this particular case, give us, in your words, the meaning of this book that the people I think out there would want to get and the power of this book. How would you summarize the whole theme of this book, and what would you say.
Speaker 1: I think that we need as a society to keep pushing ourselves, and instead of looking inward, we need to try to keep looking outward. I think the opening words to the Gene Roddenberry television series star Trek and Broadenberry as a kid was fascinated by the fair. Even though he never actually went, he read everything he could about it out in Los Angeles. Kid, you know, to boldly go where no man has gone before, to seek out like that, that's that's our that's our heritage from Icarus. And even though again that that particular generation was arguably broken if you look at World War two and the Holocaust, I you know, I think that there is that is that that is something that we can still inspire us and should inspire us. And I think something like, for instance, a manned voyage to Mars is something that you know, I think we we should be I think there's there's there's a value in that for us as a society, and as I mean to put it really broad time, just as us as humans. I really think we need to push ourselves. And I think I tell you that that way in the early thirties is an inspirational period but also cautionary tale where it can get hijacked by you know, people like the Nazis, which what they did with the Zeppelin project.
Speaker 2: Well you're saying so well in the namesake of the book, Broken Eckers comes from the stature that you know, write about and show us because then us ambrosy. But two quotes that are in the book that I wanted to pass on and then we want to say thank you until next time. And this again is jeanet Recard and I quote when you fly a balloon, you don't file a flight plan. You go with the wind goes. You feel like a part of the year. You almost feel like part of eternity. You just float along. End quote. And in summarizing the entire century of progress, who better than William Randolph Harris who said this and I quote the century of progress is ahead of us and not behind us? End quote. David Hannah, I want to thank you so much the book of course Broke Nicarous. You can get the book, ladies and gentlemen, ever good books are sold from Meetheus Books. And I wish you in yours the best of a holiday season of joy and happiness and health and the merry Christmas. Please stay on the line with us as we go to the heartbreak here. As we continue to talk here on the Doctor Sky experience on Murriga's iconic radio station that is Talk Radio seven Zevan w ABC out of New York City and around the world, and heard on the Internet at WABC radio dot com. Thank you so much to author David Hamm