Speaker 1: It's night Side with Dan Ray. I'mbelling and Mazy, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. Welcome to summer everyone. It's June fourth, but I think summer arrived sometime today, a few days ahead of time when summer normally arrives, so summer really gets here actually technically on June twenti. It's we're just a couple two and a half weeks ahead. That's okay. I'll take the warm weather. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside, as Madison so graciously mentioned, and I am here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. Rob Brooks is back in the control room. I think he has an assistant in there. Tonight Shane is working with him. Tonight Robs doing a little bit of training some of our newer team members, and all's right with the world. We have four interesting guests coming up. In the first hour. There were no phone calls, as always during the first hour. We will get to some topics later on tonight. A bit of a brawl that is going on between Boston Mayor Michelle wou and United States Attorney Lea Foley. That is an interesting development. And also we'll talk about the end of the bromance. What might be the end of the bromance between President Trump and Elon Musk. So let us start with our first guest, the president of Hunt Auctions, David Hunt, Dave Hunt, and he is going to be putting up at public auction, not this Thursday, but a week from tomorrow, beginning at two o'clock, the personal collection of Bill Walton, who, of course all of US Celtic fans remember, Bill Walton finished out his career with a couple of pretty good seasons here at the Boston Garden. Dave Hunt, Welcome to Nights Out. How are you?
Speaker 3: Very good, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: So what do you have from the personal collection of Bill Walton? A college champion, I'm a great player with the Celtics at the end of his career. I've had a a great player up with the old Portland trail Blazers. What are we talking about here? I'll bet you there's some interesting.
Speaker 3: Stuff, sure is. I think if you think about Bill Walton, unique, you know, might be a good word to come to mind. And not only was a unique human being and just this interesting figure in sports history, but one of the sort of one of the most encompassing careers in basketball across all levels. As you mentioned, coming out of high school, national recruit, goes to UCLA two time champion, one of only two players, and if you think about this in NCAA history, to be a three time college Player of the Year three times, we'll all for Al Sampson. Then you move on to professional levels. He takes an unlikely team in Portland and takes him to an NBA championship they're only championship since and wins the NBA MVP. Then goes to you know, so on and so forth in San Diego and Los Angeles, and then comes to Boston and as you mentioned, you know, six Man of the Year award, and you read about that Celtics team from eighty six being considered by many to be the greatest team in NBA history overall, and a lot of the players when they're quoted saying that he was the key component that they needed to push them to know, sort of over that level to get to that championship, and then of course into a broadcasting career that was you know, legendary and finally and maybe most interestingly, considered by almost everybody to be the greatest fan in the history of the great BULTECHI. Yeah, yeah, that passed an interesting career in life, for sure.
Speaker 2: You'll passed at much too young, an age seventy one a year or so. So tell us some of the items we will give out the website so people can peruse some of these items. Are all of the Do many of the items or any of the items have reserve on them? Or is everything in play?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Two fronts, There are two answers. I suppose there are hundreds of items, and they range from a few hundred dollars up to a few hundred thousand dollars. And that's something that's important for both us and auctions and the Wall and family for that matter, to have something for everybody to truly let you know, all types of fans and collectors participate. So the overwhelming majority literally have no reserve. They will sell to the highest bidder, whatever that may be, and even the very best items have very conservative reserves to just protect them for a base level. We've averaged around a ninety six to ninety eight percent sale rate over thirty years, so you know, when you have a great auction of great materials, and most importantly from a great figure such as Bill they really become almost a moot point because the market itself sets those levels, and you'll see that in the bidding. You're going to see things that are estimated at five hundred one thousand dollars bring six and seven thousand dollars because that's what the market decided they are worth. You may see some things they're estimated at ten to twenty thousand bring seven thousand because of the reverse of that. But that's kind of the fun of it, right is to see where they'll fall. And with those very pricing levels, there's so many interesting pieces, you know, for your listeners, like not just his Celtics World Championship ring, which is obviously one of the technical pieces you could obtain, but even like you know, his maybe his cachet Celtics bag that he had with some images of Celtics players from that period. So just kind of fun and interesting pieces of basketball history there there are, you know, we're really privileged to offer, for sure.
Speaker 2: So the Championship Celtics ring, I mean, most people are not going to be able to bid on something like that. Bidding where is that ring expected to go for? The high rollers? In my audience. I'm sure they're interesting behind that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, great question. And you know, for example, that's estimated to fifty to one hundred thousand in the estimate, you know, the pre sale estimates. It's already over fifty thousand already in the online betting now, so we would expect it to fall in that range. Could it bring more? It certainly could. Given his importance to that particular team. You know, we were honored, as maybe some of your listeners recall, several years ago, to represent Bill Russell, you know, in selling his things and with a portion of going to his charities as well. And now Bill was not a member of that team, but received a ring as one of the members of the organization and that exceeded six figures. And you know, so sort of interesting comparison. And while you can use sort of comparable prices in these in these materials, in these auctions, every auction is different everyone. And it might be a particular party or two or four that decided to focus on a piece that takes them back to something that's very memorable to them. The nostalge of what we do is what drives a lot of us.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me see if I can drive some of my listeners. So let's say some of my listeners the same. Boy, I'd love to get something from the Bill Walton collection. But yeah, somebody's thinking, well, you know, I can probably spend a couple one hundred, but what are some items that maybe are in that range that a real Bill Walton fan would want to be aware of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exactly what we focus on, really. I mean, the best pieces sort of take care of themselves. They find their own path, if that makes sense. But there are quite literally hundreds of pieces, hundreds ranging from it might be a warm up pair of Celtics shorts that shorts that he wore in practice that are two three four, five hundred dollars. There might be a pair of tickets that he was given for the eighty six playoffs that were used by either family member or not used by Bill or whatever, that are in that range. There are dozens and dozens of small awards and interesting things. I mean, there's a desk. This is a little bit of a time piece, but there's a desk ornament like almost a name plate from Larry Bird as a representative when he worked for the Pacers that he gave to Bell. There's just so many different interesting pieces that are under that thousand range.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that you have peaked the interest of my listeners and particularly Bill Walton fans, basketball fans generally. So the auction early bidding, I guess is underway. The auction doesn't officially start until next Thursday at two pm. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Basically, Yeah, the live auction, live, interactive online portion, that's correct. But if you go to hunt auctions dot com you can view all the items, register to bid, and then decide which way you would like to do it. Some people just prefer to put their bids in and let the system basically do it in an automated fashion for them, and some want to register to just to be part of that mix. If you will, on auction day where you can be on your phone at a Little league game or work or wherever you are in this wonderful world of technology in twenty twenty five and bid live just as if you were sitting in a live auction house room, you know, sort of in an old school, raised the paddle type of way. But it's fun. It's a lot of fun. It's a lot of interesting things and prices and we tell people just go take a look, even if you don't want to bid at all. It is such a fascinating stroll through through history, especially with the person is, as you know, as important as Bill Walton is what he was to his support.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Dave Hunt, thanks very much again, give us the website one more time.
Speaker 3: Yes, hunt auctions dot Com again. Register, take a look at all the items and be ready to bed.
Speaker 2: So when you get to Hunt auctions dot com you'll see you'll be directed towards the Bill Walton collection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it land you right on it. And I do want to mention one quick thing. A portional proceeds of course go to Walton family charity as well. Really important.
Speaker 2: Perfect Dave Hunt, thank you very much for your time. Always an interesting guy to interview. Thanks Dave, You've got he's got a fascinating career here. I must be a lot of fun to go through these materials and catalog them as well. Thanks so much. We'll talk again anytime you get a big auction you let us know.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Thanky, thank you.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk with Jonathan Goliver, not about problems at the pike. In one twenty eight. We may talk about how that went last weekend and what that might augur for an upcoming weekend later this month. That there's also, according to Jonathan Galliver, the MASSED Department of Transportation Highway Administrator, a work zone crisis that demands a blue light solution. We will explain on Nightside right after the break. And by the way, don't forget if you have not already pulled down the new and improved iHeart app, you want to put it on whatever devices you listen to WBZ listen to us any time of day, every day during the week. We're only a fingertip away. Pull the app down, put it on all of your devices, and make us your first preset, so no matter where you are in the world, you can just reach out and be in contact with w BZ. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside on a very comfortable Wednesday night. Gotta get a little warmer tomorrow, but guess what it is June. We expect that around here, and thank goodness, we finally have some warm coming up. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on w BEAZ, Boston's news.
Speaker 2: Radio all right. A week or so ago, we talked with Jonathan Golliver, he's the Massachusets Department of Transportation Highway administrator about the big work. I don't want to say big dig, the big work that it was being done last weekend at one twenty eight and the master Turnpike. Jonathan, before we move on to the issue at hand, how did things go last weekend? Did you guys get accomplished what you needed to accomplish that weekend and how bad were the backups?
Speaker 4: So things went very very well. The backups were manageable the whole time. We did get some pretty severe ones. It took almost twice as long to get to the job site, approached about an hour delay at one point on Saturday, but for the most part stayed around thirty minute delay, which is something that we consider to win. You know, a lot of people stayed away from the site. Exactly what we wanted to have happened. So thanks to you and the rest of the media for really getting the word out out and people really paid attention and it really worked out great. We actually finished the job about two and a half hours early, and we're looking forward to hitting the next weekend on the twentieth coming down a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: The weekend of the twentieth, the twenty first, and the twenty second. We'll have you back for that, but let's talk. You have raised an alarm, which I think is legitimate, that there's a work zone crisis that demands a blue light solution. I think I know what you're talking about, but I'm sure that you can explain it perfectly for everyone in my audience, including myself.
Speaker 4: Sure, so this is something that's very, very important to us. We obviously have a lot of work sites across the state. Many of them are behind fixed work zones like the one we did this weekend. But many of the job sites that we have or maintenance, which means that they're not behind fixed work zones with barriers. They're behind things like barrels and cones, obviously a much softer barrier and much more easily penetrated by things like cars. And we do a lot of things to keep our guys safe when they're working in those conditions. We make sure they're in the high visibility gear, we make sure we have crash trucks out there. But things happen, and speeds right now are incredibly high not just in Massachusetts but across the country, and we have seen an alarming trend over the last few years, really since COVID, we have seen things spike and we had a particularly deadly year this year. One of our own staff, David Seussa, was killed just a little bit less than a year ago in these Bridgewater picking.
Speaker 1: Up some road debris at nighttime.
Speaker 4: And then just a few months ago in Springfield, we had three workers for one of our contractors who was doing some guardrail work was killed by a driver that went into the work zone. And we have right now, I think a really good chance is a lot of safety initiatives being proposed of the legislature worked on earlier this week, and I had the opportunity to testify on one that was proposed to allow us to use blue lights and very specific and limited ways as a way to improve driver awareness when they're approaching some of the work zones. So the way this would work is, uh, it's for strictly for dot vehicles and I'm talking like the heavy equipment stuff, so I'm talking like crash trucks, where you would have a small number of blue lights which have been very very proven to slow traffic down. Uh, and they would be rear facing so that you would see them as you're approaching these work zones. And and you know, as they said to uh some folks earlier in the week, the first thing every driver does when they see blue lights coming up is they check their speed and they slow down.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's going to disagree that the reaction we're looking for.
Speaker 1: Ye.
Speaker 2: So, so would would these blue lights be attached to vehicles or would they be standalone blue lights that would just warn people, Hey, you're approaching a work zone. You'll want to pull over. I mean, everybody knows when you're coming up on a police car which has pulled someone over in the right hand lane, if you can, you're supposed to drift into another lane to the left to give the police officer as much clearance as possible when he gets when he or she gets in or out of their vehicle. Same principle is applying here, I believe.
Speaker 4: The exact same principle, And the idea would be to put it as part of the standard light package that we have on our trucks right now, so we have amber lights, and this would be something that would be again small number, a lot of states do this in different ways, and this is something that you know to be clear, this law change would allow it. Like right now, we're not allowed to even discuss even a pilot. This would allow us to go into a to set up rules and regulations about how these would be used. And the way we're envisioning it is how many other states do it, which is very small number of lights, So we're talking less than twenty percent of the lights on the light package. Would be blue, could be fixed, could be off lading, It could be on one side of the truck or the other. There's a few different ways of doing it, and we'd want to trial out these things. We're facing only only for trucks that are going to low speed, so there would be no mistake about it. Nobody's going to confuse one of these for a police vehicle or something along those lines. What we're looking for is that instinctual gut response that people have when they see blue lights. That's proven over and over again. We want them to want them to hit the brakes, we want them to slow down, we want them to do that speed check and move over, and we don't get that kind of reaction with amber lights. There's a lot of Again, we have a lot of construction sites out there right now, and there's a lot of other things that use amber lights, like tow trucks and such. They don't invoke the same reaction as the blue lights, and it's really that slow down through that work zone that we're looking for.
Speaker 2: Last clarification, Jonathan, would these blue lights be both on trucks that might be moving from one area to another area as well as trucks which were stationary where work is going on in a specific area. It seems to me that they should be available in both trucks that are moving on the road to a work site and trucks that are functioning on a work site, because that'd be a little bit protective of the workers.
Speaker 4: So I think both makes sense to me. But you know, this is something that we we would be certainly willing to trial out either way, and really our goal is to get the most effective one. So if we do have some of these rolling operations like the road debris that I was talking about, where where we think.
Speaker 3: Having uh, you know, a.
Speaker 4: Blue light that that is in that slow moving maintenance activity would be effective. But there's also another areas too, where where we think having whether it's a when it's a short term uh saying where the park truck, Like if let's say you're feeling a pothole. Again, that blue light is effective at keeping people slowed.
Speaker 2: Down, absolutely, and it's also it's a safety factor for the drivers because you see that blue light, it's going to it's going to get your attention. If you if you're kind of not paying attention and all of a sudden you're in a in a lane and you're into the back of a truck because it didn't have blue lights. It's a safety factor for the drivers as well. So I hope you get that, Jonathan. If anything we can do to help you, let us know. Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate and appreciate the attention you bringing to it. Very important safety regulation for us.
Speaker 2: I'm delighted to do it, and I look forward to doing something with you in advance, you know, sometime in the middle of that week of June sixteenth to the twentieth, so we can once again ring the alarm bell for everybody to stay away that weekend of the twentieth. Thanks Jonathan, Oliver, appreciate it very much, all right, Thank you, Dan. All Right, we get back when I tell you about the twenty twenty five thunder Over New Hampshire Air Show. US Navy Blue Angels going to be back in New Hampshire the first time in thirteen years. This gets to September, but let me tell you they are a great attraction. You want to know in advance. We'll be talking with a major from the military, Major Michelle Mastro Battista, coming back right after the news break at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: Side with Dan Ray. I'm w Z Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we tend to promote things that, oh are going to happen a couple of weeks or maybe at the most a month. But when you start talking about the US Navy Blue Angels, who now we're talking the twenty twenty five thunder Over New Hampshire Air Show will return to New Hampshire for the first time in thirteen years September sixth and seventh with US. Now is Major Michelle Maustro Bautista. Major Mastro Bautista, Welcome to night side. I assume that tickets are gonna get harder to get as the summer goes on, so tell us how tough it is to get the Blue Angels to come back, and what is it going to be like to stand to be in New Hampshire that particular weekend.
Speaker 5: Hi, thanks for having me. Yes, it's really hard to get the Blue Angels. You have to request them to come out to your show two years in advance, and you're competing with hundreds of other shows across the country. So we're really excited to have them come back to see us. They haven't been here since about twenty twelve. It's going to be a busy weekend. There's a lot of activity going on in the Sea Coast, but the Blue Angels will be here all weekend, as well as a lot of other demo shows, so we can't wait.
Speaker 2: So the tickets get you on to the property. This is not like going to a race car event to go into a football game. What did the tickets? What access did the tickets get people other than what they might get if they just kind of drove in the area looked up in the sky. I'm trying to make them understand why they really need to get some tickets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, the premium parking tickets are sold out at this time. However, we're really excited to have a drop off location. It's located at the P's International Airport, and that's where people can partake and ride share or drop off or bicycles even and they can just come on in for free. So the admission is completely free for anybody. And right now our production team is actively working more perking nearby.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, okay, So I've never been to one of these air shows, but I assume that the area that the Blue Angels will be performing in has to be a pretty big chunk of the sky. I mean, what are we talking four or five miles in every direction or because.
Speaker 5: Just about Yes, if you're in the area, you'll see them. But if you want the best front seat area to see them, you'll definitely want to come to our air show that weekend.
Speaker 2: And this is not Labor Day weekend. It's the weekend after Labor Day, which I think is important for people to know to realize. And again, so there's no tickets, what you're paying for is parking access or yeah, I see, okay, So the show, the program is free to free at one and all bank of crowd. Do you think again, New Hampshire, we know where that portion of New Hampshire's you're done in the southeast corner of the state. How many people do you think are going to attend this year based upon once you've done other.
Speaker 5: Years, based on our past couple of air shows, we are definitely expecting over forty thousand guests each day, and we have a lot on the ramp to showcase while they're here, so hopefully they get out and see our stem exhibits as well as all the statics and enjoy the aerial acts that we have lined up now.
Speaker 2: I assume that one of the benefits from the Air Force point of view with the Blue Angels and the Navy as well, they're the US Navy's Blue Angels. I want to be clear on that, is you're hoping that this might inspire some young people, young men, young women to join the service of the country. Does that generally follow that after an event like this, people get inspired and all of a sudden they say, Hey, maybe I'll sign up out of high school. I assume this is a recruiting tool as well.
Speaker 5: It's definitely one of our bigger events for that reason, and all branches benefit from this. After our last couple of years shows, we directly had people wanting to join our unit and other branches. But the benefit of this is that we're planting seeds for the next ten, twenty, maybe thirty years into the future for our military. So it's definitely worth it, worth it for us to put on a good show that people remember for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 2: Now your branch major is you're an Air Force major? Correct? Yes? Okay, if some eighteen or nineteen year old young man or woman was inspired, can they sign up and say, gee, I'd like to somehow work in the branch that gets me close to the Blue Angels. How does that work? I had an MS many years ago called thirty six K twenty which had nothing to do with anything this exciting. Trust me on that. How How does the Air Force and you know, the do you and does the Navy give people a chance when they volunteer. It's an all volunteer military. Now to say, gee, this is an area that i'd like to work in, whether I'm in Air Force, whether I'm an airplane mechanic, I'd like to work in that portion of the service. Or is it kind of like we'll talk to you after boot camp.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: I think there's a lot of opportunities there even if you're an active aviator or a support person. It's a very team oriented organization. So if you are interested in those things, you know, we'll have recruiters all over the ramp who can certainly answer questions from all the branches if you have a specific question for a specific brand that people are interested in. But it's just got to get that conversation started and make your you know, a young person interested has to make their interests known and people we try to work with them.
Speaker 2: So even the Army will have representatives there as well.
Speaker 5: Right absolutely, I mean the Army is going to be in the air. They're going to have a great Blackhawk demonstration. We're really excited about that.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, So so it's more than just a Blue Angels. That's that's great. So what is the website? Where can people go today to to to basically do whatever they can do to get as good a view of what's going to happen that weekend of September sixth and seventh? Where can where can they go?
Speaker 5: Sure, they can go to thunderover New Hampshire dot com and that's where any future parking opportunities will appear, as well as our lineup as it grows, and the FAQs what to bring, what not to bring, and you know, just to get excited and pumped up and be connected for our show coming up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking It says general admission is free, does not require a ticket, but parking on site does require the reservation of a parking pass. So this is this is great. It's something called the Wildcat Club is a spacious tented area. So yeah, you got this looks great. I got to tell you, folks, you've got to get there as a matter of fact, it might even be tough right now, but navigate this site and try to get to where you wherever you can. But wherever you can, I guess there's some memberships that are that are available as well. Here. Uh, this is a great website. I wish I had looked at it earlier, but just get there, folks. If you're interested in this, believe me, this is going to be This is going to be quite an event up in New Hampshire on September sixth and seventh. Again, website one more time major if you'd be so kind.
Speaker 5: Sure it's thunderover New Hampshire dot com and we hope that everyone can make it up for a event.
Speaker 2: Sounds great. Thank you very much. I do appreciate you taking the time to talk with us tonight, Major Michelle mastro Batista, Major, thank you very much and thank you for your service.
Speaker 5: Hey wear, are you welcome? Have a good night.
Speaker 2: All right? When we get back after our break here at I'm eight forty five, those of you who like puppies, which I believe means all of you, we're going to talk about the Puppy Protection Act. I mean, who's not in favor protecting puppies will explain it all on the other side of this very quick break on a Wednesday night, a warm Wednesday night. It's going to get warm or maybe even tomorrow, but it's starting to feel like summer, even though it's still spring. Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray, I'mbzy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, this is a story you want to pay attention to. My guest is Sheila Goff. Sheila Hope, I'm pronouncing that correctly. I know there's an E on the end. Is at golf? You nailed it, okay. You were the vice president of government relations for the American Kennel Club AKAC, And there is a piece of legislation which I guess is making its way through Congress. I believe it's has it passed the House already, So this is uh hasn't passed the House, Okay, So it's in the House, which would have to pass the House and Senate to get to the President's desk. And it's entitled the Puppy Protection Act, which makes it sound like, hey, who wouldn't vote for that? But I guess the AKAC, the American Kennel Club is a little bit concerned about this, this piece of legislation because it would it would adversely impact breeders of puppies in America who are doing it properly, and help some the importation of dogs from countries like China and Turkey. This a little confused, but I know you're going to straighten it out for us.
Speaker 6: Go right ahead, absolutely, Thanks so much for having me on tonight. Yeah, it's called a it's a bill that's just been reintroduced in the US House, and it's called the Puppy Protection Act. And as you know a lot of folks know, sometimes the name on a bill does not appropriately describe what the bill's about.
Speaker 7: And I think a lot of people support.
Speaker 6: This, thinking it's a good bill designed to help puppies. The problem with it is it establishes under federal licensing for breeders once a lot of one size fits all regulations that are very hard for our small hobby breeders to meet.
Speaker 7: The Feds regulate.
Speaker 6: A lot of people don't realize this, but the Feds actually regulate job breeders. Anyone who has more than four intact females with the cats, wraps, gurbils, dogs, small mammals, and sells one site unseen as actually subject to commercial breeder laws. A lot of folks don't realize that's a pretty low threshold.
Speaker 7: So you have one Golden Retriever, two Golden Retrievers, and you're.
Speaker 6: Going to have a little poppies, and when the time comes, you ship one to your sister out in Montana and lo and behold, you're actually subject to USDA licensing as a commercial breeder. So folks think about.
Speaker 2: So I think what I just heard. I think what I'm hearing you're saying is that if you read within a state, stay within that state, and sell within the state, and you don't cross state lines, you're regulated by the state in which you're functioning. But once you get into interstate shipment, now you come under the federal guidelines.
Speaker 6: Correct, although it have been we've and we've seen cases where it doesn't even have to involve interstate commerce.
Speaker 2: Maybe advertising which might might cause advertising in a neighboring state of it. That's what's going on there, right, Okay, fair enough? Okay, So what what would this? What will this act? And again, is there a specific member of Congress is really pushing this or is this just something that gets filed every year or so?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's gotten filed for several years.
Speaker 6: The primary sponsor is Brian Fitzpatrick from Pennsylvania, but he generally gets quite a few co sponsors because it establishes requirements that sound good if you're thinking about commercial breeders. But the problem is because it actually regulates a lot of small hobby breeders, it's not so good. And our concern is it's going to put those small hobby breeders, the folks you want to go to their house and meet mom and dad and see how they're brought up and see the other puppies. That's the concern is, is putting those folks into a situation where they can't continue to operate, and inadvertently, perhaps we're putting the very folks that we want to sort of encourage out of business.
Speaker 1: And the concern with doing that.
Speaker 7: We want to encourage them.
Speaker 5: But b there is a lot of people don't realize us.
Speaker 6: Your fact for the day is, demographically speaking, the replacement rate for puppies in the United States is eight million.
Speaker 7: So like people, puppies age, you know, they.
Speaker 6: Get older, we lose them, families get.
Speaker 5: A new dog.
Speaker 7: So the demand for eight million dogs a year. The last year for which we have numbers.
Speaker 6: One point two five million dogs were imported into the United States for the pet market.
Speaker 7: It's an absolutely shocking.
Speaker 2: Domer wow, and from countries like China and Turkey.
Speaker 6: Right from countries that unfortunately don't have the level of oversight and regulation that we do. So you know, our argument isn't that commercial breeders shouldn't be a professional breeder shouldn't be regulated.
Speaker 7: American count Club believes.
Speaker 6: They absolutely should be, and we all of course have to be subject to any kind of negligence or cruelty rules, but over regulating a small hobby breeder, saying you have to have certain types of commercial countling. When you're actually your family, pets will hang out, you know, on the sofa in the living room.
Speaker 7: Isn't the most effective way for us to get.
Speaker 3: At that issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's interesting that you spotlight this because when you talk Puppy Protection Act, do you think, oh, there's something I got to port. I'm glad that you've explained it. I know that you had an is an op ed piece yesterday in the Boston Herald. If I'm not mistaken, or was it in today's paper? I guess it was yesterday's. It was yesterday, Okay, So people can go if they find their Boston Herald from yesterday, go on the Herald website and find that again. It's it's entitled house proposal would boost foreign puppy mills. We're trying to get rid of puppy mills in the US. Kind of seems to me and be a little crazy. I know, my my daughter has has adopted uh. I keep referring to my my favorite one of them. I have two favorite dogs, my my my children's dogs Willie, Who's shitsu part Shorky uh Shitsu and part part Yorky. So it's called the Shorky uh. And and then Mustard, who was a beautiful Corgie uh that my daughter adopted a little less than two years ago at a animal shelter in situate south of Boston, and it is the nicest dog. They're both great dogs, different personalities, but again, you know, there were dogs, There were dogs that are available in shelters, folks, and those are great dogs. Go down if you're going to think about buying a dog, go look at the shelters dogs because they need they need to be homed, and they need homes and they need good families and something. Now, So I'm a big pusher of that, Okay, just so you.
Speaker 6: Know, yeah, and I just want to add that one thing A lot of people don't realize about the American Channel Clubs. We're actually the largest rescue network in the country through our Green Clubs. So people who are interested in rescuing a particular breed. We believe in what we call sort of pet choice, which is that people should become very educated before they ever get a dog. Understand what they're getting into, and understand, you know, the very characteristics of say that Corghi versus you know, the ships to mix and then see what your options are. You may want to go to rescue, you may want to go to shelter, you may want to go to a responsible breder. And our concern is that people just get that right pet for their lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Sounds great, Sheila, I thank you so much for your time tonight, and again keep up doing the great work that you do and that the AKC does. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Take care.
Speaker 2: All right, we will come back. We get the nine o'clock news coming at us, and we get back. We're going to get to a more serious topic, and that is there is a real battle going on, a verbal sparring battle between Boston Mayor and Michelle wou and US Attorney Lea Foley Uh and that really broke out today and the US Attorney issued a very strong condemnation of some of the statements that the Mayor of Boston has made. We'll have that and we'll have your the action to it. If you'd like to join the conversation, we'll take a lot of phone calls in the next hour. Talk to you in the other side, on the other side of the nine o'clock news here on night side.