Speaker 1: Well, whiskey, come and take my pain, the honeys, my ry, oh whiskey. Why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's three whiskey Happy Hour.
Speaker 2: Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John U.
Speaker 1: And the International Woman of Mystery, Lucretia, where.
Speaker 3: They lapped it up.
Speaker 2: It'll David, ain't you easy on the soul taps?
Speaker 4: Got a give me Well, this is a crazy three whiskey happy hour. We've got John Yu in an undisclosed location on the California coast. I Lucretia. I'm in my usual bunker way in the midst of the desert somewhere. But Steve is somewhere unknown, on a huge ocean liner traversing the globe, supposedly between Japan and Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Eventually eventually Vancouver by way of Alaska.
Speaker 4: So okay, and so Steve is trusting Elon Musk to keep Starlink going, even if he's not going to do anything about the McDonald's ice cream machines, even though we all know he could best meme of the week if you ask me anyway. Welcome everybody, Welcome Steve. I hope you having a good time. Welcome John.
Speaker 1: Oh, how can you not have a good time when you have you know, you don't have to do your laundry and housekeeping. And when you have, you know, three square meals a day, plus bartenders at your beck and call on every deck.
Speaker 3: Steve, that just sounds like being married to a good woman.
Speaker 1: Oh, be glad I'm listening through this trough headsets and not broadcasting through the spouse sitting not far away.
Speaker 4: She would laugh.
Speaker 3: I was trying to get Allison to come over and hit you with a frying.
Speaker 4: Pan, saying there aren't many of those in your cabin.
Speaker 2: And you're suite no, but I have this.
Speaker 1: I have this huge suite and I have my own really lavish bar supplied every other day with a fresh bottle of tankaaye gin for martini.
Speaker 2: So it's great.
Speaker 3: What are you drinking in the morning?
Speaker 4: She writes?
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 3: Are you any one of those fancy cruise ships where you can drink as much as you want?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Anything?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh wow. And I don't think it.
Speaker 3: Was just like Carnival Cruise Lines or something for the extra package. I didn't know like that was for real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are you drinking? John? Steve it's eight in the morning, so he's probably drinking mimosas.
Speaker 3: Actually five pm here, I'm still working, so I was just drinking coffee.
Speaker 1: But I do have some wild I have crossed four time zones in the Pacific so far, so it's actually one o'clock in the morning one o'clock in the afternoon where I am presently, so I'm not that far away from you, guys.
Speaker 3: I'm going to break this so I'll break out the world Turkey Rare.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you might need it for today's Three Whiskey Happy Hour. There's a lot of crazy things on the menu today on the agenda, but I'm going to start with what was my second favorite meme of the week, which from the Babylon B getting ahead of myself starting off the show with Babylon B that it was a big announcement. Just so you guys know, we have a long running three way chat between the Three Whiskey Happy Hour co hosts and sometimes it's very serious. Sometimes it's a little lesson serious, but it almost always has the latest news about McDonald's, and the latest news about McDonald's happened to be that they were for the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary they were going to be bringing back the fried apple pie. John's response is exactly mine, although I didn't write it, which was I never knew it was gone. But the Babylon b posted one at their memes saying the McDonald's is bringing back the fried apple pie with real cocaine. Why reminds me of that meme where the little girl asks her mom how come it is it? Grandma always got so much more than you done in a day than you do mom, and her answer, when your grandma was my age, they had cocaine in the coca cola, and anyway, there you go.
Speaker 3: So so here's two observations about the return of this wonderful, wonderful dish. Is one, what's your record for how many you've eaten in one sitting? Minus three.
Speaker 4: Half half and not even because I'd burned the roof of my mouth, just because you know.
Speaker 3: See the key is you got to eat them from the middle, break it open, eat the filing, don't eat the crusts at either end, so that preserves more stomach space. And then the other thing I really loved about it is a was that the you know came in this really interesting plastic paper holder which sleeps like kind of like a gun holster to me, And I was like, I wonder if you could repurpose it as like a BB gun holder once you were done eating the apple pie.
Speaker 4: But I think you actually could have done what you said, John, break it in half and use the apple pie itself as a weapon to shoot. You shoot that hot apple pie filling into somebody's face. Good, it's good as a handgun, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the McDonald's that hot apple pie is with the sleeve you mentioned, John, I think they gave birth to the hot pockets, which I think are one of the worst frozen food inventions of all time when newsed properly.
Speaker 2: Oh well, yeah, keep it that way, that's my advice.
Speaker 4: Why why do you consider it the worst? I mean, I know it's just a package of chemicals and I'd never eat one today, but I used to like them.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not much that, it's that when you actually cooked them properly in their sleeve, they are they will earn your mouth. And who has the discipline to wait two minutes from the cool off I certainly don't, right, It's an instant gratification.
Speaker 2: Food and well you're just smarter than the rest of us.
Speaker 4: But I don't know about smarter. I just don't want my mouth.
Speaker 2: And then I'm trying to think of it. It's Jim Gaffigan.
Speaker 1: He's the comedian who does a wonderful routine on hot pockets. I recommend interested listeners look it up on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I will you know. The other thing about this Elon Musk ice cream machine meme is I don't know why Elon Musk just doesn't buy McDonald's, Like he doesn't have to fix the ice cream machines. He's enough money now that he could just buy McDonald's, probably with a few weeks of interest on his massive stockholdings. Is Bicex now the fifth largest country company in the world, and he could just buy McDonald's close throughout all the ice cream machines or so.
Speaker 4: Like he should.
Speaker 3: He could he reached a partnership with what is it cold Stone Creamery and have then come in and run all the ice cream I don't know why they need to make ice cream machines, although I we'll say, when we were in Italy together, I did get one of the soft serve ice creams for just two euros and it.
Speaker 4: Was great at McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, yeah, McDonald You did what we've been to too.
Speaker 4: Many gelatto places. You went to McDonald's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got the soft serve because it was only two euros. Everything over and then in Europe is so expensive. I don't want to pay everybody's social welfare benefits every time I buy something, so I thought i'd go to McDonald's to get something cheap.
Speaker 4: You live in California, you live in everybody's benefits everywhere you go.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: Oh, anyway, I do have. These guys didn't list it as something they wanted to talk about, but I'm still reveling in it. So the two hundred and fiftieth Birthday celebration with UFC at the White House was the most incredibly successful patriotic event of probably the last half century, I would argue. And it was amazing. Why Why? Because it was manly, it was it celebrated warriors. They gave away four thousand tickets to members of our military, not to rich, hoity toity people that could pay like they did for the nixt tickets. And there was this did you see the flyover? This amazing flyover, And there were two hundred thousand people who came through the Ellipse over that weekend. I mean, it was just it was a wonderful, patriotic expression of what it means to be an American. America is so back, baby, I saw that all our conservative commentary. Now, on the other hand, the decided they needed counter programming. Did you watch any of that, John.
Speaker 3: Steve, No, But I didn't. I really, I didn't want to watch the UFC. I don't really like UFC. I think it's a little too brutal for me. I didn't watch the counter programming either, but gosh, I don't know some of it. And we were just in Sicily where we saw this amazing mosaic depicting the gladiatorial games and all the wild animals they were capturing to throw in with the with the people in the coliseum, and I don't know the UFC. It's so outrageously brutal. I know, I got the feeling where we're like in the late Roman Empire or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You say that, John, but actually, if you were to look at UFC permanent injuries versus say, football permanent injuries, even well, I mean soccer pretend permanent injuries oh, oh, you know, it does seem brutal. I don't like watching it, I'll be honest with you, but but I celebrate it. Do you see the difference. I'm a mom, so mom's never liked seeing these things. I actually watched my son when he was he shouldn't have been fighting. He was hurt anyway, and I almost ran into the ring and pulled the guy the guy off of him. I mean, it's hard for moms to watch those things. I'm just saying, but I try to put myself back from it and say this is awesome, but really quickly steve and break in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, if my connection holds up an observation, you know, the New York Times bestseller list never includes best selling novels by say Christian authors, like the old Tim Lahay books, which I thought were not very good books.
Speaker 2: But C. S. Lewis's books sell huge numbers. He just exclude. Really, they just ignore them.
Speaker 1: And likewise, on sports, you know UFC and also professional wrestling, they're massively popular, but you'll never see them discussed on the sports pages of the elite media. And it was the late John von Cannon, you know, it was the Heritage Foundation for years. He pointed this out to me, that professional wrestling, you know, we know it's all fake, but it's just it's a morality play. You have good guys and bad guys people for the audience to cheer for.
Speaker 2: They're like old.
Speaker 1: Fashioned scripted melodramas. And of course everyone knows they're fake. But and you know, I've never excited me, but John used to go to them because he said they're a conservative phenomenon. So it's sort of like the National Acquirer newspaper, which is a conservative newspaper in some ways, even when it's reporting on you know, UFOs and crazy stuff. So you know, that's and that's the thing that Trump understands. He's playing not to the elite media. He's playing to the broad cross section of the American population that likes these kinds of spectacles.
Speaker 3: So that's why, I mean, it's a little Brendon for me. No, No, it's like Brendan circuses during the Roman Empire. And you know, when we were texting about this, I think stever Lucretius said it's just like the golden era of the Roman Empire. But I was like, are we really in the age of Marcus Aurelius here or are we in the age of his son comtists who started the decline and fall of the empire with excessive fascination with glad It's communists. Was I think he did train as a gladiator. I think that was actually a true thing that they put in the movie Gladiator. Yeah, I mean, but I don't know. Some of the spectacle of it is reflected kind of blood thirst. Now, I'm not saying we should go back to the days where like John F. Kennedy and Jackie Kennedy, you know, had Robert Frost and you know, people like this to sort of pretend that there was high culture at the White House. I don't think it needs to be that. But God, this this UFC seems but can't we just have the Philadelphia Eagles play the Dallas Cowboys on the White House lone he kicked the crap out of them.
Speaker 2: Watch.
Speaker 4: No, it wouldn't. But anyway, again, it's no less brutal in this case. Anyway, the reason what John is mentioning, I just have to put this one out there too. Again from our text message stream, I sent these guys this thing from X and it was I love all of this happened on Saturday Sunday. I love that we're the new Rome, peace with Persia in the afternoon and a gladiator fight in the evening, all on the Emperor's birthday, another thousand years. And my response to that was, Steve loses his title to analogy.
Speaker 2: Man oh man, I am crushed. This is what happens when I, you know, leave the country, When you leave.
Speaker 4: The country take place. I do last comment from me on this, and that is you. If you have not seen the leftist programming on this, you've you've got to spend five minutes Google, Rise Up, Rise Up, and whatever the hell it, rise up and sing out. And it's Jane Fonda. And you're right, Steve, she is just man oh man, She's just a sort of a a grotesque, you know. It's just as in the noun, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: A waxwork nightmare.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, awful and that. But here's the crazy part. Bete Midler. I remember when Bette Midler was a talented singer, right right, and she sings this off key with these old fat ladies strumming their stupid fake instruments or not even like banjos, and they're singing I don't even know. It's just like the ones you would see at protests, off key and the most cringe worthy thing you've ever seen. And of course then Robert de Niro accuses us of and all of us who actually still love our country, of being abused wives because our country has abused us so badly by electing Donald Trump. It was just awful. And they charged quite a bit of money for people to show up at the at the Theater in New York to do this, and then they put it online and it got more. It got more views online from people who got on to make fun of it than it did originally. So anyway, that makes me happy because I'm with John. I don't like watching UFC. I don't even like watching my kid when he fights MMA. But it's but but I celebrate it, and I celebrate the people out there that Trump was appealing to you by doing it, so I'm all in favor of it. Well, kind of leads us into moving things around a little bit. The next topic, which is the Iran deal. I'm gonna let you guys talk on that because I've got my thoughts, but you guys are the experts. John tell us what's in the deal you neo con.
Speaker 3: Steve Steve Steve posted a critique of it, I believe in a minute, But I actually am maybe more favorable to the overall conflict than Steve was, and I think some of our friends are going overboard and attacking it. I've heard some friends of mine at the National Review podcasts comparing this work to Vietnam in terms of its setback for American foreign policy, which I think is completely wrong. I mean, I think if you take the agreement out of it, and a lot of the agreement is temporary and hinges on negotiations over thirty or sixty days, look at what the United States achieved. So here, I'm putting on my neo con helmet here, Linda. We don't put on tenfoil hats in the neocon and we put on real helmets, by the way, So you know, So one, we've destroyed Iran's anti aircraft defenses. We've destroyed its air force, its navy, a lot of its military assets. If you believe what the Southcom commander said when he testified to Congress a few weeks ago, he said, we've destroyed the industrial base that was necessary for Iran to build the the drones and missiles with which to threaten its neighbors. Of course, we've destroyed large, large stocks of those, and we've buried its nuclear program under mountains of rubble. That in itself is an achievement because if you think about where the world was before October seventh, no American president would dare attack Iran. Right. They were worried about the attacks on Israel that would occur. They worried about the straits of Hermose closing, But they were all worried about Iran firing off all these missiles and destroying everywhere other of them and didn't turn out that way. I think in many respects Iran was a military paper tiger. Think about this, they get attacked, what does Iran do. They fire missiles at civilians in the neutral countries all around it, and they closed the straits before moves. That is not a response of strength. So I think we uh. But what I think, what the people who are critical and what Americans often want is just outright victory. And what we're doing is we're containing a problem. We have knocked the Iranians back I think five years at least in the terms of rebuilding. All this military industrial capacity. So I think that is we are better off I think now than we were before. I think what people are upset about is the idea that we would trade sanctions, relief and money in exchange for Iranian promises to allow the Straits to reopen. That's all I think that is. I think that's a short term problem. We are apparently allowing Iran to sell oil, and we are lifting some sanctions temporarily pending this longer term permanent deal. I would be amazed if we actually reach a long term permanent deal, and if we don't, then what we're going to have is a kind of stalemate like we did with a rock after the first Persian Gulf War, where we might need to keep a somewhat permanent air presence around Iran and periodically bomb when it tries to rebuild its nuclear program and it's missile stocks if they don't cooperate, And that to me is a neo con is not such a bad outcome in the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm actually more favorable to it than might have seen from what I wrote a couple of days ago, and in fact I just posted a piece before we got on here together a few minutes ago by this guy named Clayton Wood, who I don't know, but he writes really interesting stuff. And Mac owens up at the you know, retired from Naval War College, who of course we all know and love.
Speaker 2: He likes this.
Speaker 1: Guy because I asked Mac, I said, you know, give me your thumbs up on his sky.
Speaker 2: Mac thinks this, well, he.
Speaker 1: Hasn't set himself at least if he has, I missed it, but he thinks this Clayton Wood guy's account is pretty good. This guy added one detail onto my analysis a couple of days ago, which was apparently, and I guess this is confirmed in reliable reporting, the Saudis were not cooperating with our blockade and we're making.
Speaker 2: It difficult for us to suit right.
Speaker 1: And so that was one factor. The other factors right, And the other factor I pointed to, and I think I mentioned this before, is you know, the oil people I know who really know the world market said we're you know, four or five weeks away from running out. I mean the storage tank said Cushing, Oklahoma are getting down to the bottom. And the Strategic Petroleum Reserve you know that we have that, you know, Biden foolishly depleted some and didn't refill. It's nearly empty, and storage units around the world which were designed after the oil crises in the nineteen seventies precisely for this moment, which is why this war has had minimal economic impact. Really, I mean, you know, gas prices, we know, we don't like it, but it's nothing like the crises of the seventies, even though this is a bigger disruption to the Middle Eastern oil trade.
Speaker 2: So it's a.
Speaker 1: Different world now, but it's still we were looking at some potentially you know, Trump said I wanted to avoid an economic catastrophe.
Speaker 2: He's possibly right about that.
Speaker 1: Finally, this Clayton Wood guide doesn't say this, or Abe does, but I did, Which is we still don't know or if our Cia does know, and I doubt it. The internal dynamics are among the Iranian fact actions these days.
Speaker 2: You know, who are we dealing with? We don't know.
Speaker 1: And you know, I posted the picture of the Iranian minister who signed the deal. He doesn't look like a happy guy, unlike the guys ten years ago who were grinning from ear to ear with Obama's deal. Right, And so I don't know, Maybe this flushes out that and causes a bigger problem to run. No way to know, but I do think we should withhold judgment. And the last thing I said was, it's echo what you said, John is the beat. Well, first of all, we know the media is going to dump all over this deal because it's Trump and the Democrats. I've saw a few of them on TV, on the cable international cable news, and they're all suddenly hawkish.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Iron has won this war. It's terrible, what a terrible deal.
Speaker 1: It's a you know, the same deal and in some respects as Obama's deal, and they don't even have the witness say, gosh, you know, Obama looks pretty good in retrospect.
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 1: Instead, they just they sound like the hawkish neo cons at least for ten minutes. And you know that tells me that I'm going to withhold judgment because of all the din of all the critics of this.
Speaker 4: Who are judged. I don't see the I don't see the Obama deal. But anyway, go ahead, John, I think that's not sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, the thing about the Obama deal really it really depends on what happens with the sanctions. So there is a temporary thirty In the agreement, there's a temporary thirty degree thirty day lifting of some sanctions in order to sell oil, and there is discussion of allowing frozen funds to start being accessed by iron. If it turns out that the sanctions are completely lifted and Iran gets access to all of its money that's frozen, then I think that would be a cave, similar in kind to Obama's JCPOA everybody where we're pushing out about palace of cash out the C one thirties. But but that's not called for yet, right, This is all pending the deal. In fact, the somewhat sanctions really for oil exports is only for good for thirty days, and so at the agreement pushes a lot of these hard decisions off to this kind of final deal. And look, I mean, have we been able to agree with the Iranians on anything within thirty days or sixty days? The odds are really high we don't come to an agreement. But if we do, if it does contain this kind of relief, then I think that is a cave. But it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 4: Okay, So first of all, all, you can't even say all the right people are against this because it seems like everybody's against it practically, which leaves me to wonder, you know exactly what's going on here. It's I think, more than anything, there's a lot of Trump arrangement syndrome that no matter what happens, no matter what Trump does, there are going to be people who on both sides of the aisle who are going to, you know, just trash it, no matter what might happen. By the way, did you guys see the continuously denied report that fun I think it was soon admitted that the Save Act isn't going to pass even because it's good, even because the voters want it, even because particular senators constituents want it, just because they hate Trump so much. Now Thune is denied that's true. But it supposedly happened at a big Senate Republican meeting, and I think it's probably true. I think it certainly explains Cornin, It probably explains Soon. But anyway, back to the randal, Rand didn't get much of what it wanted because it can't demand that anymore. That is not what happened with Obama. This idea that everybody's throwing that out there that he you know, we just lost so much treasure in thirteen lives and blah blah blah, just to come back to where we were with Obama. That is the stupidest thing. And the other thing was all of the people who came out before the actual MoU was released based upon things that were leaked. Those things have remained somehow still credible, even though they're not. Like the three hundred billion dollars in American taxpayer dollars that we are supposedly giving to Iran. None of that is there, and Iran didn't get what it wanted. Last thing I'll say about it, Let's remember who Trump is. He's not a neocon, he's not a realist. He's a deal maker, and so he's not going to be restrained or constrained by the same kinds of diplomacy problems that many of the presidents have been in the past with respect to Iran. I'll say that first. But secondly, so it's sixty days we're at June eighteenth, Are you guys getting ready to celebrate the fake virtue signaling holiday tomorrow? Anyway, June eighteenth, when we're recording this because of our schedules. That so two months from now is August eighteenth, And as I think John said it, I agree with him one hundred percent that they're probably not going to get this done in sixty days. You extended another sixty days. Where are we. We're right there at the midterms. The price of gas has already fallen nationwide to below four dollars, lowest it's been since the start. The economy's way up, jobs are way up. There's all of these great things happening. Trump can do his negotiations, keep them quiet on the side, and go back to talking about affordability and everything that's wrong with the Democrats. I will say that concessions to i RAN, even if they did happen, would have been more important at this stage than taking a greater chance of losing both houses in the midterms, because that will be catastrophic for this country in a way that any deal with the WRAN never could be. That's how oh, I sort of look at the whole thing again. There's a lot of details. John, I think spelled it out perfectly. We don't know what's going to happen. We know we can't trust the Iranians. I know Trump knows he can't trust the Iranians, but he has put them, I think back on their heels, and I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. That's what I said before and say it again.
Speaker 2: Comments No, I'm good with that.
Speaker 3: I think the war. If you look at the overall war, Iran is definitely worse off than they were before. I think they did better in the deal than they had a right to expect. But yeah, for people to say this is a loss for the United States, if you just look objectively at the measures of Iranian power, they are far worse off than they were before they and their allies attacked Israel on October seventh. And I'm just sorry that we stopped so early, because we could have really finished them off, I think. But Trump's a deal maker. He doesn't want to wipe out the Iranians Iran, and he wants to have someone to negotiate with who can keep their promises, because he does think that there can be an agreement with him where everyone's better off. I just don't think that's possible with the Iranian regime, and so we'll end up with a kind of cold war with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which just fine with me. There is you mentioned John stopping the attack.
Speaker 1: I mean there's one thing here that also I put my piece here today that I think is a really serious worry, and I think we're trying to fix it fast, but fast as a relative term, and that is they I think had more capacity to attack than we thought they did with their drones and missiles, and more willingness to attack all the Gulf States and not just Israel. And I think, you know, what's the line. We were shooting down one hundred thousand dollar drones with five million dollar missiles, and that's a bad exchange rate. And whether we seriously depleted our stocks or not, I think they're not going to tell us, and they shouldn't because you don't want to tell the Chinese that, oh, yeah, we're down fifty percent. But I think that at some point we reached the point of diminishing returns.
Speaker 2: Possibly. I mean I would like to have continued also, but I.
Speaker 1: Think there's a serious calculation there, maybe behind the scenes, that we can't keep up doing it this way. Let's I mean, there's a reason I won't stall for times not quite the right phrase, but I think Lucreatia's right about put off until after.
Speaker 2: The midterms and then you can go back at it.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll be restocked, we'll have redar stations rebuilt, and then we'll see where Iran is. And one under detail does bother me that we haven't talked about, which is apparently John and I haven't read the whole darn thing yet. Are we supposedly restraining Israel and defending itself against Hesbla and Lebanon? Because I don't like that much. Rather, yeah, I much rather say it.
Speaker 3: Says that all fightings shall stop, and it specifically includes Lebanon, And you would sit there and say, well, why does any agreement between the US and Iran include this third country? But I believe Israel, which is not a party to the agreement, has said they're not going to obey it, so that part of it is I think.
Speaker 4: So think that some of that is a little bit of gainsmanship on the part of the Trump administration doing Israel is so unpopular in weird sorts of ways and has become such a bogeyman for all sorts of other kinds of issues that I'm guessing that netnya Who and Trump are really not at loggerheads about this. I'm guessing that there's a little bit more going on behind the scenes than Trump is just effing mad and d da da da da oh.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think that could all be disinformation, And I think there's an easy out. The first time the Iranians don't live up to some part of their bargain, it could be two weeks from now, two months from now, I think, you say, well, then Israel doesn't have to be bound by us anymore either, So I think there's an easy out there. And yeah, we've seen this dance before. We heard their tensions between Trump and and not Netanyah who last year when we know that we were planning possibly to join in in the June attack on Iran, which we did, right, So yeah, I don't believe in anything that I read about all of that. It could be true, but I'm not going to believe it necessarily.
Speaker 4: And supposedly the Israelis were not happy about the deal either, but that could also be a little bit of disinformation. They're really good at it, Okay, So moving on, we'll see what happens. We'll just have to see what happens with the Iran deal. I want John to explain to us a little bit about what's going on with the failure of the Senate. It's just the Senate at this point, right, John, to enact an extension of section seven oh two. Well, let me you explain. I could give our listeners a history going all the way back to the beginning of signals intelligence and the government's ability to collect data anonymously without anybody knowing about it, and what's happened. But you're the expert here, so tell us what's going on.
Speaker 3: One reason I think you're saying I'm the expert is because I was involved with the creation of the program which section seven oh two essentially codified into statutory law. And let me explain the problem we face. So we had on nine to eleven there was this gap in our ability to surveil our enemies. And you know, this is one of the great advantages that we have in the fight against foreign countries like China or Iran or terrorist groups, is that we have I think unparalleled ability to intercept and analyze the electronic communications of our enemies, which is what Lucusia called signals intelligences as a military term for it. And so at the time of the nine to eleven attacks, it was thought that in order to intercept communications that might involve an American abroad, you had to have a warrant, even if you might unintentionally capture it, you needed to get a warrant. And to try to savel say Osama bin Laden, you would need to a warrant. And this is the problem. This is the way the prosecutors think, which is different than the challenge we face. Prosecutors want to go to court get a warrant, and to do that you have to have the name of the person and you have to show evidence that they're engaged in the legal activity. That's what the Fourth Amendment requires. That's not the way you deal with foreign enemies and the military, because often you don't know the names of the people you're trying to catch, and you don't have any evidence yet that they're going to do something right. The criminal justice system looks at things backwards. It says, these people already did things, that's why we want to surveil them. So on nine to eleven, think about the one thing you would want to search would be every electronic communication in Afghanistan, not just the ones in Afghanistan, the ones that would be the most troublesome, worrying to you would be things from Afghanistan into the United States. Right, those would be the communications you would really want to look at. Those are the ones before nine to eleven we thought needed a war. The military they just want to intercept all the communications and try to search them to find about information about pending attacks. So after nine to eleven, President Bush created this program to do exactly that. This was not There was no statue passed by Congress that allowed that. When that program became public, Congress approved it in section seven oh two. That's essentially what seven oh two does. It allows the mass capturing of electronic communications abroad to search through them to find information about attacks that are going to occur against the United States. Can I ask you to think it's a dereliction of duty to allow that to lapse which has happened, and not renew that because I think of all the electronic communications, surveillance, signals, intelligence we engage with, that is the one that cost of communications is the one that would have the highest probability of finding out information about an attack on the country.
Speaker 4: So when John came to speak to my students at the university, we had a lovely talk about a related issue, and that is the difference between what law enforcement wants to do with this information and what intelligence wants to do with that information. And so you have some protections. Of course, you've got the fize of court. So if you actually find evidence of a crime being committed or potentially committed by an American citizen or a US person is actually the term that they use, not so much a citizen, then protections protections then step in, and the Fourth Amendment. I don't know if the Fourth Amendment is fully stepping in. The question is whether the kinds of protections that are left for American US person, sorry, when their data are being looked at by intelligence agencies, the protections that keep them from being prosecuted for any potential crime are there. But the fact that the intelligence agency can look for evidence of a crime reeks of a general warrant. Can you speak to that for just a moment.
Speaker 3: So I think the key for this program and its justification is that's not really there to build prosecutions. It's not there to assemble information that will lead to someone being thrown in jail. The main point of it is to find out if there's going to be a pending attack and try to stop it. That's why you look in the database. That's why you have signals intelligence. That's why the military exists, is to protect the country from an attack. And so, yes, if you're going to start using this database, because what happens is all these emails, text phone calls are put into a database which you can search by name or not, just named by the AI, very well, yeah, yeah, And in fact, there's an interesting legal constitutional question, which is, if AI is doing this searching, have you really lost your Fourth Amendment rights at all? Or is it when a human being looks at it that your privacy is lost. This is a very The Supreme Court has never said one way or the other about that, and that's an interesting question in itself. But so there are all these protections built into it, as Lucretius says, for if you start searching for Americans in that database specifically. But I don't see why we can't use it to search to find what Osama bin Laden or the son of the Iraqi Supreme Leader talked about. They have no Fourth Amendment rights at all. They're foreigners of foreign land. I don't see why we shouldn't use these surveillance powers to the maximum. They have no privacy rights against the United States government. And that's really what we want to be searching for. Is right Iran and we know Iran try to kill President Trump during the campaign. Those are the kinds of right. That's the conversation. What are Iranians doing? Are they trying to get agents into the country who are then can we stop them?
Speaker 4: That's an interesting phenomenon, John, because on the one hand, remember Trump actually himself or at least some of his aides or campaign people I forget the guy's name, now you know who I'm talking about, were drawn up in a FISA court, drawn up in this whole data collecting thing, and prosecuted by a corrupt Justice department. Trump himself suffered a bit under that. But Trump is the one pushing for this. Trump is the one pushing for the Senate to pass Section seven oh two. I do want to and I want you to comment on that, but let me get this last point out there. The two points. One is that there are claims claims made in the Washington Post that during this long period of time before the last renewal, I think in twenty twenty four of section seven oh two. There were sixteen roughly sixteen thousand some prosecutions of people for drug related activities and sixteen for terrorism based upon this large collection of data coming in you know, foreign persons communicating with the people in the United States with US persons. That's thing one, and then the second thing finally, sorry, the commercially available information aspect of this. So you now have one of the arguments and you never almost never see this reported in any stories about the section seven of two renewal. So you have the ability of both the government and private entities, private commercial entities who can take these data or who get these data and sell them, and the government itself has For instance, I'll give you an example. If you have traffic cameras and surveillance cameras, you know, in your town, all of that's constantly collecting data on you, so that there are many towns that know if you drive into town, they know where you go and how long you're there and when you leave. And those data are collected by private entities, commercial entities and sold in ways that the government itself is not monitoring. They buy a great deal of it, but they're not monitoring it. And they're not even collecting or you know, they're not cataloging what's happening there. So that's another issue supposedly being considered by you know, the column the stronger Fourth Amendment advocates who are opposed to the extension of seven oh two.
Speaker 2: What do you think of?
Speaker 3: No, please do there's a Supreme Court case that is going to address some of this this term next week because the argument is a lot of the information that Lucretia is talking about that's available commercially or that's available to the communication providers may not be protected by the Fourth Amendment at all because it's in Plaine view right, it's like the traffic cameras plant or you have voluntarily given it to AT and T or to Google, and once you do that, the traditional understanding had been you lose your privacy rights on things you voluntarily hand over to a third party. So there's this case called geo fencing that's come up, where can the government use data that you've given up about your location and try to track you with that? And it is a strange paradox if the court says no, the Fourth Amendment still protects it, which would be that Google or Facebook are going to know far more about you than the government could in trying to stop a crime. That really doesn't make a lot of sense, it seems to me.
Speaker 4: But is that not the natural follow up from the president set in Carpenter versus US, So you can explain to this really quickly.
Speaker 3: So no, So this is very interesting. So Carpenter is a five to four decision of the Court which said that the information and a smartphone, and in this case it's location, we're protected by the Fourth Amendment.
Speaker 2: And it's weird.
Speaker 3: Like Chief Justice roberts Worth the opinion, he went on this kind of strange. I think analogy, no offense, steam, but an analogy comparing like the smartphone to like the eighteenth century version of your papers and your diaries. And I'm not so sure it's the same thing. I'm not so sure that case, you know, lizan as precedent, giving the changes in the Court's personnel since Carpenter was decided, it's about ten years ago now. But also I think the government does need to have this kind of information for national security purposes. So maybe this is what I always thought was the compromise was that the government should be able to use this information for national security purposes, to stop and attack, to unravel a terrorist organization from abroad, and maybe the trick is, but you can't enter it into court to use it for a prosecution. That was actually what the government used to do before PISA showed up. I always thought FISA was a big mistake. And instead what would happen is that presidents would go out on their own. Presidents from Lincoln on, Washington on would do signals intelligence. What they never tried to do is enter it into court and use it in a prosecution. And that preserved the ability to make sure it didn't contaminate our domestic legal system, and it was a way to make sure it really was for national security purposes.
Speaker 4: Is there anybody on the court actually recognizing that sort of high wall of separation between the two and saying that privacy does there is not necessarily an element of privacy said that is divorced from the idea that you that it applies to prosecuting you for a crime.
Speaker 3: Right, see this, We'll see this in the Geofencing case. It'll be very interesting. I bet you won't see the same lineup you saw in Carpenter. And by the way, in Carpenter. Again, it was a five to four case. I mean, you had very strong descents. It was not It was not the lineup, for example, where you saw in some of the previous cases like GPS trackers or the image you know, thermal imaging case where Scalia and Thomas were in the civil libertarian majority in Carpenter. There you did see this or usual conservative tougher on crime justices other other than Roberts saying maybe we shouldn't keep expanding privacy rights in this era of the new digital era, because you're really going to constrain the ability of the government to protect us from foreign threats if we keep expanding this willy nilly and just make simple analogies and stuff a saying, oh, smartphones are like diaries.
Speaker 1: Well, can I bring up a case from ten years ago that presents related issue that hopefully can help disentangle a little bit. And that was the you know, the San Bernardino shooters, the Metems whatever the name was, and you know they had Apple smartphones iPhones, and I don't quite remember how this ended, but I know that there's a lot of pressure brought on Apple. You got to help us break into this, They said, we can't. And then the next step was, well, then you need to build in a backdoor feature so we can get into these phones in a situation like this where national security is on the line. Never mind criminal enforcement. The ME teams were dead, they weren't going to be tried for anything, but you could see the intelligence function of it, like the seven or two things you're talking about. Do I remember that some Israeli hackered to manage to get into the phone.
Speaker 2: So it ended up was that I happened to say this.
Speaker 3: It's like one thing I learned when I was working in the national security world is that, uh, yeah, the United States is really good, but when we can't crack something, we just ask Masad to do it. Right, Right, So the Israelis broke into the phone for us, right, That's right, That is what I remember.
Speaker 1: But that's still it raises the issue about It's one thing to say, you know, we have all these apps the track where we are and what we're doing, and it's another thing to say that the phone itself should be invulnerable to or be immune from Fourth Amendment protections.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let me let me just revenge. Like the carpenter. You know it's the majority is Chief Justice Roberts wrote the opinion and had Ginsburg, Briar, Soda, Mayor, and Kagan. Two of them are gone. The dissenters were Kennedy, Thomas, Alito, and Gorsach. Wow, so you could easily see, right, you could easily see Carpenter going the other way with Kavanaugh and Barrett.
Speaker 4: Now, oh yeah, although to be fair, there have been a lot of abuses that have come to light since then, but censorship by Google and so on, I mean, the whole idea, that was it. It was Cats, that right, the Cats versus us where the idea of the third party doctrine first came up. If any information you voluntarily released to a third party is no longer considered private. Yes, that was it Cats.
Speaker 3: And I remember it's a case called Maryland, Maryland, which is called can Register. The Cats is what starts it all because Cats remembers Cats. Is the case about, Uh, do you have privacy in a phone booth? I mean that's so antiquated and so right, what's a phone booth?
Speaker 4: Listeners won't even know?
Speaker 3: Superman? Remake right, Superman? Would you know? In the first the super Maria shows up and it's one of those phone boots with outdoors, and he like doesn't know what to do because in the old days, right Superman going the phone with and changed clothes there and then Clark Kent would be super.
Speaker 4: Well, it'll be interesting because remember now Trump is Trump has been very much behind the extension of seven oh two, but he's now tying it to passage of the Save Act. So we'll see what happens. Maybe by next sex never again happened, Hardball.
Speaker 3: I think actually Trump's taking the So I think the right approach is not to limit the power of the government. It's to reform the intelligence agencies because it was it wasn't that the power. It's because the intelligence agencies just abused their powers to use FISA to spy on Trump and his campaign. Narrowing the powers isn't going to stop that because they would have still broken the law anyway.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's funny when I asked mister Lucretia about this extension of what he thought about them failing to extend section seven oh two, he said, they're just going to do it anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would just do it if you're if you're out to get Trump, right, like FISA, and where you draw the line, wasn't going to stop them. So why harbor our ability to protect the country from attacks to prevent another Russia hoax? Instead, I think the very thing is to attack the administrative state that allowed this kind of abuse in the first place.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of five four decisions, we actually had one of those rare unanimous decisions on a major issue actually today in US versus HARMANI and both Steve and John really liked this decision because of the constant reference to what's the term alcohol alcoholism? No, not just a bit, but but there's what's the actual term. I have it here somewhere. Actually it's not free, I'll find it. But so nine to zero the case written by Gorsic, who's the one who brings back the fact that our founding fathers were indeed.
Speaker 3: Let's just say, none of them would have been able to pass a d W d UI breathalyzer test today.
Speaker 4: Yes, So explain to us a little bit quickly about the case, John, So.
Speaker 3: First of all, this is extraordinary that the government, the United States government lost nine to zero and had a major criminal statute struck down. That doesn't happen, and very often particularly under the Roberts Court. What happened and it shows that the Second Amendment case of Bruin, which promised a more vigorous protection of gun rights, is actually going is actually serious. There were some people who thought and Bruin's not that serious. The court is not going to strike down that many laws infringe on the right to bear arms. I think those people have been proven wrong. So this is a case that the facts are important here because this is a case of a guy in Texas who has a gun and he tells the police officers that he also has marijuana and smokes it regularly.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 3: He was not. I know, it's like, why is it every other day rather than every day? Like how do you pick every other day? But this is the interesting is important though, is that he was never tried and convicted for marijuana use. He was not a drug felon. And that's important to the court because what the court says is, you know, all you have to do to throw this guy in jail for ten years and take away his right to own guns is that he voluntarily tells you he uses marijuana. And the government said, yes, that's all we need. We don't need to actually convict them of drug uses.
Speaker 4: This mode case drunkards that that's it. That's what they're referring to as the historical precedent that allows them to do exactly what you just said.
Speaker 3: Now, since you criticized Steve all the time for being analogy man, Steve's height, the height of Steve's powers comes about in the Second Amendment context, because what the Court has said is, we will only allow restrictions on the right to bear arms that have some kind of analogy to the kind of limits that existed in seventeen eighty nine, seventeen ninety one, actually, to be precise. So the government said, well, this is like there were no drug laws per se back at the time of the Second Amendment. So this is like restrictions on junkerds, restrictions on the ability to have guns if you want, because that was the drug of the day. That was the drug of the day. So the fun part of the opinion is that Justice Corsich goes through some of the drinking habits of our leading founders, and so it turns out that James Madison, who drafted the Bill of Rights, apparently liked to have something like three glasses of whiskey a day, but then as he became president, he switched to wine because it was healthier, but he was still having three to four glasses of wine every day. He recounts Jefferson, of course, a big fan of Madero wine, as was Washington, and he recounts the amount of liquor drunk at the President Washington's farewell party, General Washington's farewell party in Philadelphia. I think something like a the casks of wine were drunk at his dubipractic. But I think that says more about Philadelphia than about the founders out there. At that tidbit, I would have dropped a footnote there for Justice Gorsicic. I've seen statistics about the amount of liquor consumed by the founding generation, and something like three barrels of rum per person per year in the United States, an incredible amount of liquor was drunk. So this is Gorsich's view is people were allowed to drink a great deal, and just being intoxicated was not grounds enough to take away your right to bare arms. It had to be something more like that not only were you drunker, but that you were a public danger because of your drinking. And that usually there was a court finding or a sheriff or someone intervened and found you were a danger. Their point was just smoking marijuana or using drugs per se is not dangerous, does not itself make you a threat to have got Well, this is actually a quite incredible victory I think for gun rights. Yeah, it's weird the media coverage of the decision has not been that extensive, but I think this could lead to the questioning of a lot of other drug I'm sorry, gun restrictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's why they're not covering it. I think they right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, I mean, you know, I haven't read the opinion did Justice course it's mentioned nineteenth century consumption figures. You know, the Temperance movement was not wrong about the problem of you know, alcohol abuse in nineteenth century. Well, not just I mean in general, I mean the per capita consumption figures were just off the charts. And you know prohibition well, I mean I was like will Rogers line, at least prohibitions better than no liquor at all.
Speaker 2: But prohibition that you know, fifteen years we had it.
Speaker 1: Whatever it was, did actually lower the sort of the practices of alcohol consumption in America and noticeable. But the point is is, I don't think there are any restrictions on gun ownership on use in the nineteen century when the problem really was significant.
Speaker 3: S Your guys are like this, as I remember when I study this period in American for American History, that temperance was another mistaken aspect of the progressive movie, this idea you could control all human behavior. And so yeah, this was just one of yet another one of the great failures of Woodrow Wilson at all.
Speaker 4: Still I'm interested, though, But you think about Tom. You won't know this Steve, but Thomas's concurrence all of everybody again unanimous. Thomas wrote a concurrence, Katine. She wrote it because saying we need to get rid of the historical analogy test, the Steve Hayward test for gun rights and replace it with them what does she call it?
Speaker 3: The means, the means ands balance.
Speaker 4: Means balance. Leave that aside. Thomas argues that there is absolutely nothing in Congress's interstate common powers that allows them to make this regulation in the first place.
Speaker 3: Now it's very interesting, yeah, because he mentioned this in his case called Lopez, which he where he wrote the same a similar concurring pin when this is the year I clerk for him, where he said the commerce clause power should only give Congress the ability to regulate commerce that crosses state borders. And he said, and you can have arguments about when the transaction starts and when it ends, but he said, at some point, you're no longer regulating the buying and selling of the gun. You're just regulating the possession. And his view is possession of something is not inter state possession does not fall within the commerce clause. So you remember he also voted to strike down the drug laws because right, you can get people for trafficking and drugs, but just having the drugs possession itself doesn't cross state borders. At some point, it's not commercial anymore, and so that should be outside the interstate commerce clause. That doesn't mean states can't regulate it. States of course, could regulate possession, but not the federal government. So right, this is a long term project of his. He's had some successes. The Court, for example, struck down the Violence Against Women Act under this theory. It struck down the gun possession law in Lopez itself. We'll see if it can really go farther and strike down the federal drug laws. That's where the court has not gone. There's a case called Gonzales versus Reisch, which of course occurred in Berkeley, where these two Berkeley people, one person gave marijuana to another person, didn't even sell it. It was a gift for the treatment of cancer. Allegedly it was a painkiller for cancer, and the court six' three In gonzales upheld the federal drug. Laws, GOSH i would have thought if the court was going to agree With, hamis that would have been the case to do.
Speaker 4: It, Yeah i'll, See we'll, See, Okay STEVE i Promised STEVE i would end on. Time So i'm going To i'm going to read Some Babylon. Bees BUT i have to tell you that The Babylon bees are probably worse Than Elizabeth warren when it comes To trump and this ran deal. Out about ninety percent of The Babylon bees over the last week have been about The iran, deal and they are all just scathing Against. Trump so some of them are still funny because that's the way they. Are i'll start with this. ONE ufc fight ends abruptly As trump broker's peace deal between the. Fighters, yeah it's, yeah it's, well here's a non non randal. One it's a picture Of Keem jeffries And Chuck schumer And Elon musk in the, corner and it Says democrats vow to keep fighting until nobody In america can be. Successful, yeah For, elon it is nice to be a trillion ERE i would. IMAGINE i don't even know how you wrap your head around. That oh back To. Iran oh, No trump negotiates deal With england and now they have the colonies back.
Speaker 2: THAT i.
Speaker 4: Know, okay so this, one you, know you guys heard that The jdvans went on the view and then makes. Figure but doing on the, view it says to sell his, BOOK i. Guess and The iran The iran. DEAL Jd vance makes contact with tribe of illiterate feral. Women that's pretty. Good world breathes a sigh of relief as terrorists promise to be. Good Poor, trump they should give him a, break don't you. Think at one point or? Another, okay last, one not a rand. One Al gore explained that while an inconvenient truth did not prove, accurate it did make him incredibly.
Speaker 2: Rich, yeah see.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you get incredibly rich from your inconvenient what is it called? Again?
Speaker 1: Inconveniation you, know my little counterdocumentary that got me in The New York times style pages was made for a mere twenty four thousand, dollars unlike his six million dollar film whatever it.
Speaker 3: Was so, YEAH i know that you could make it for twenty four.
Speaker 2: Bucks NOW i know you.
Speaker 4: Could, OKAY i have to one last. One world leaders lineup to Ask trump to bomb their countries for a while and then give them a few hundred billions.
Speaker 2: That not quite. ACCURATE i don't think that's.
Speaker 3: Good So steve.
Speaker 4: Managed to stay on this whole. Time So, john.
Speaker 3: So always drink your, whiskey, meat buy more. Books And, steve who is floating off the peninsula, cheka come check it because he is determined to visit every territory on the risk game. Board you have to say for your sign.
Speaker 2: Off, Well i'll just say. This this.
Speaker 1: Summer you, Know i'm gonna be In germany next, month So i'm doing all the axis. Powers this summer is In italy with you, guys and you Know japan last week And germany next, month so uh and then, uh, Yeah i'm Hopefully i'm.
Speaker 3: Not forgetting the means you have to go Visit romania and all the guys who signed up on the invasion Of.
Speaker 1: Russia, now, yeah that could, be and that could, be But i'll just end us this. Way uh, well this is an ad free episode because the algorithm that that's plugged into our platform in the middle Of, Pacific i'm not sure what ads would give.
Speaker 2: Us it might give us ads In japanese And, chinese Or russian or none at. All it could be.
Speaker 1: Weird so you have been listening to a special ad free edition of The Three whiskey app The hour sponsored by The Cimitas, institute hosted by and produced by ricochet dot.
Speaker 2: Com and we'll be back next.
Speaker 1: WEEK i Think i'll be back on land and will be more normal by Everybody.
Speaker 2: Ricochet join the. Conversation