Speaker 1: You wanted him back. He's coming back, b O b Bob Letterer and he reveals his Mount Rushmore. After the conversation yesterday, Boy Green Daily starts now.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna lose my gash guard bananas.
Speaker 1: Boy Green Daily starts now joints.
Speaker 3: Buggy, Buggy Buggy, Let's go.
Speaker 4: Do me. Put your seatbelts on, get ready for the ride. We're the freaking New York Jets. We're built for the ship.
Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody. I'm Paul Leston Junior aka Boy Green. I'm the New York Jets digital reporter for Eavy Doc. I'm welcome to Boy Green Daily, a daily New York Jets video show, also available where we get your podcast. If you're watching on the YouTube, like the video, hit subscribe, baby, and I will do this. Before we get to our special guest today is we have a very special contest happening here on the show. It is the biggest giveaway I've ever done in this show's history. Boo, y'all, let's show it up there on the big board. Do you want to go to the Jets Cowboys game for dirt cheap? Hell, I've got the giveaway for you. Jets Cowboys week five Sunday, October fifth, we are giving away two tickets to a Jets Cowboys game that is Section two twenty eight a, two tailgate tickets, food and trick before the game catered by Chef Kevin Gilbert, and two Jets Cowboys commemorative t shirts. To have an opportunity to win all of these awesome prizes, you have to subscribe to my YouTube channel free to do. Subscribe to James Woody's YouTube channel that is at take flight Talk on YouTube, tak e fl Ighttalk on YouTube also for to do, and then submit a twenty dollars raffle ticket. You can do it via PayPal, you can do it via Venmo, and we're going to allow it on YouTube as well. So if you send it a twenty dollars super chat, that will also make you eligible. If you give memberships or superchats are out the month, I will be adding them up together and cumulatively you can get a raffle ticket. So all is on the table. It is a six hundred dollars value. When you factor in the two tickets, the two tailgate tickets and the two t shirts six hundred dollars value, you have a chance to win it for twenty bucks. You can't beat that. You are allowed to buy multiple raffle tickets, so I highly encourage that you do. And again, as long as you don't spend six hundred dollars in raffle tickets, you're still getting a deal, baby, So feel free to buy multiple raffle tickets to put yourself in the best possible place. If you do, send your raffle ticket via paypaler Venmo, please make sure that you write in the descriptor your first and last name and a good email to reach you at and to say that this is indeed for the raffle. So I'd appreciate that. So good luck to everybody. Appreciate you. We'll be drawing this winner in the month of August. Good luck to everyone involved. Let's bleep in go. We should be joined in just a few minutes by our resident New York Jets historian, Bob Letter and I'll promote his book. He'd love to hear this before he ops on Beyond Broadway, Joe the Super Bowl team that changed football, Bob Letterer, You guys can pick up your books right now wherever you get your books. Look it up. Bob gosh darn Letterer and really the goal, and I'll speak for Bob here. The goal for Bob in the book is everyone talks about Joe, name of Joe, name of Joe, Nama, Joe Namath when there's anniversaries or this or that, and for good reason, right, Joe Namath is this iconic figure in New York Je's history. But what Bob wanted to do for this book is highlight all of the other players and coaches. He actually puts it at the beginning of the book. Let me skip ahead a few pages here for a second. There is a shout out here in the book. Where is it? Is it the final page? I believe so it's somewhere in here where he gives a shout out to all of the members of the Jets, their team, their coaching staff, and everyone that came together. Yes, there it is. It's on the very first page, beyond the title dedicated to all fifty six players, coaches. Let me refris it dedicated to all fifty six players, coaches and owners of the nineteen sixty eight nineteen sixty nine Super Bowl New York Jets. And this was a quote from Jim Richards, a special team or Super Bowl Jets quote. We didn't have team chemistry because we were winning. We won because of the intangibles that come from team chemistry. There you go, that book beyond Broadway Joe or their guy Bob Lederer, easy, says boy Grin with even more shameless self promotion, certainly for myself, but also for Bob's book. You bet your sweet buns. Also for all you people out there in the audience that we're saying, maybe a book bet here there or the other. Bob seemed intrigued. I didn't give him all the details. Will allow that to happen once the phone lines open up here, uh, in a little bit, we'll do that and allow you guys to ask questions to Bob whenever that comes here on the program. All right, So Bob is having a technical issue, So hang on tight, people, We'll play a quick hep song. The phone lines are not open. We're just gonna play this quick hep song and hopefully we'll be right back. Hang on, tight, folks.
Speaker 5: Boy like me days, Buggy days, Budge days talking just football man.
Speaker 2: Boy, Buggy Day.
Speaker 5: Buggy Day bug and they're not Jets Football Club.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: First special scene Foster super Bowl see my dream j T.
Speaker 6: S Chest chest chests.
Speaker 2: Bully, you're talking Jets football mayam Bully Dames, but Dave, but if you don't catch Football Club Wow, last the best special teams watch.
Speaker 6: The Super Bowl season with by Green Cha T s Chest chest chests.
Speaker 1: Thank you Hep for that song. I appreciate it. We should have Bob in here in just a moment. He had a technical issue on his side, so we should be able to correct that here momentarily looking forward to having a b O B on the show. And I said it before, I'll say it again. This is a show by the people for the people. A lot of shows say that, but I don't know if a lot of shows you deliver on that. I literally give you, guys, is what you want. And you, guys asked for this man, and he is coming back. It is bo B. It is Bob Lederer. He is the author of this very book I have in front of me, Beyond Broadway, Beyond Broadway, Joe the Super Bowl team that changed football, and we'll talk about that on the show today as well. And here he is back today and weekly moving forward, Let's bring him in. Bob Lederer, Baby, what's up, Bob boom.
Speaker 2: This is this is my pride. Wow, this is that book. Okay, I'm signed by all living members of the super Bowl team.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, what a what a what a piece of action there, Bob.
Speaker 2: That's a jet's keep saying if there ever was one. So if anybody wants to break into my house, my wife has no jewels. But that's that's what you would look for.
Speaker 1: Okay. Hey, by the way, you know, completely unrelated, but where do you normally keep it in your house?
Speaker 2: In my living room?
Speaker 1: Okay, good I just want to know so I know exactly we're not to go because I don't plan on doing that.
Speaker 2: But yes, I also have a separate book that would signed chapter by chapter by the same guys.
Speaker 1: Really. Oh, that's awesome. That's cool, especially with how the book reads for those who have not read it before, that's really neat. So, Bob, we will get to the callers and they have a lot of questions about the book, and several people, to your suggestion, bad show, give a shout out to him, him, shout out to him. He bought the audio version of the books, so he's been listening to it. And then we've had several by the physical book as they've been going through it. So we'll have some comments and things of that nature coming up there.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And Bob, let me ask you this because this conversation came up yesterday on the show We need a New York Jets Mount Rushmore from Bob Letterer, Oh, who are the four greatest New York Jets of all time? It became a very heated debate yesterday as people were debating different eras and different qualities for this Mount Rushmore. If you could only pick a Mount Rushmore of four for the greatest New York Jets of all time in your opinion, it would include who and let's explain each of your decisions here.
Speaker 2: Okay, Joe, so.
Speaker 1: Joe Namath obviously has to be on there.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I think Cleco just defensive lineman of all time for the Jets. Okay, Carl the running back?
Speaker 1: Huh no, no, go ahead, no, yeah, geez.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry the running back they got for that? Uh that parcels stole from New England.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Curtis Martin, Curtis Martin, I'm sorry, of course, that's right.
Speaker 2: Then you got the fourth and you could go player, but credit being credit, I would give it.
Speaker 1: To web Okay, we've you bank. Okay, So here are the other guys, and Bob, you smack these if you don't think they're worthy or not or what have you. There are several several other names games that were a suggested. One that created some conversation was Darrelle Revis. Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he deserves it. He would be deserving of that.
Speaker 1: So he's in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And what about the legend Don Maynard?
Speaker 2: Yes, but less so than than Revis.
Speaker 1: Okay, du Choe, please explain why do you think.
Speaker 2: I don't know? I you know he played in an earlier era when well, I was about to say it was easier to be a wide receiver. It was actually tougher to be a wide receiver. They could they could bump and run you from the line of scrimmage, and it wasn't just five yards, and they could bump you down field as long as the pass what ball wasn't in the air. So Maynard was Maynard was. I would put Maynard on the old Jets team with probably the Wesley Walker and or George Sower as the wide receivers. But yeah, he's he's certainly deserving of it. There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: All Right, let me throw another one at you. Winston Hill, who was recently inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: And I'm proud to say that one of the efforts, two of the efforts in my book were to get him and Larry Grantham into the Hall of Fame. And in fact, when Winston was elected, his eldest daughter contacted me. She's an opera singer. Wow, she contacted me and thanked me for my efforts to get him, you know, into the hall, because he was really the giant oversight.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but let's face offensive lineman don't get the credit.
Speaker 1: They don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, the greatest offensive lineman of all time in the NFL. You wouldn't put them up on the on Matt Rushmore. They would be full of quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's uh, that's a that's a that's a hard truth. So okay, so you got Winston Hill in the Hall of Fame, where are you at on getting Larry Grantham in there?
Speaker 2: With the senior contact I keep contacting the Pro football writers. All right, and I think Larry was on the initial old timers list last year.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's progress, you know.
Speaker 2: It's progress. I mean, I think it's going to happen. The unfortunate thing that everybody always says is what a what a is a Yiddish word, Chandra, what a shonda? That that Larry Grantham and a lot of other guys have already passed away.
Speaker 1: And number one pet Peeve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if they ever get into the Hall of Fame, you know, yeah, their family will represent them.
Speaker 1: It's not the same.
Speaker 2: But that's that's just a shame.
Speaker 1: I'll shout out my radio show. I had a radio caller very early in my radio career, maybe ten eleven years ago. One of the gifts he gave me when he found out this crazy Jets fan was joined the radio show was an autographed photo of Larry Grantham framed and I have that in my office over there across across the room. It's a wonderful piece of history and a wonderful gesture.
Speaker 2: So I do have Larry and he and Pete Lammon's in particular. Yeah, we're great players from that team who I was in constant contact with after the book came out for years, and unfortunately Larry passed away I think in I think the Super Bowl year. I know he wasn't that pulled that up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Not the reunion. I'm pretty sure he had died.
Speaker 1: Yeah, June seventeen, twenty seventeen, apparently is when he passed away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was really that's really a sad story too, because Larry never believed in making claims for CTE and Larry was basically diagnosed with CTE and it was too late. He couldn't get the U three the compensation that the NFL was giving him because they had passed an expiration date. And that's that was. That was really sad that that happened. But he but he actually whatever I know about playing defense, UH footballer in the NFL in particular, Larry Grantham taught me. We used to talk regularly on Monday morning about the day before and I would ask him what did you see yesterday that struck you and ask him specific things. And I think I said this last week. I'll repeat it real briefly, and that told me, when you see defensive backs who constantly are out of position, uh, it's because one they don't do their film study enough. Two they're stupid. They don't retain. They don't they don't retain whatever it is that they should retain, you know, in order to know what these guys do. And it's something related to it. I was reminded of the other day. Maynard always preferred to run against veteran cornerbacks because he knew exactly what they were going to try to do against him. You put a rookie, a talented rookie opposite him, and he had no idea what to expect. Yeah, and so he preferred the veterans. He beat both of them. Yes, we're playing against the veterans.
Speaker 1: That's such a crazy story because I'm wearing a Bruce Lee T shirt right now and people know on the channel that I am a a on the edge of a fourth degree black belt in taekwondo, and one of the things I enjoy doing is sparring. And what you just said translates to the dojang. When you're facing a fellow black belt in a fight, you prefer them because you sort of they all know the ethics, the morals, the standards, everything. But when you get a white belt in there that may be incredibly talented, but they're sort of like a baby deer. They're sort of going all over the bus. You're not exactly it's a little you know, it's a little uneasy because you're not exactly sure what they're gonna do because you've never there's no experience in the in the doja before. So we talk about that all the time.
Speaker 2: But who do you root for in the Karate Kid movies?
Speaker 1: That's a good point, Sweet the Light, Nady Cooper Kai, Yes, you know, crush, that's a that's a real way to do it. So, yeah, that is funny that that translates to the football field in that way. Who else is in the so obviously I mean it's the title of the book, Beyond Broadway, Joe. Okay, that's obviously in the title. Who else Beyond Broadway? Joe? Do you believe that Jet fans don't give enough love to that should that deserves a spotlight from the Super Bowl team?
Speaker 2: Well, you know where, let's let's move a step down from Mount Rushmore. Sure, you know there were so many guys that year who had all Pro years. Jim Turner, the kicker, Yeah, set Afl which became NFL records for points in a season. I think it was one hundred. I'll look it up in his I was thinking about last night. I think it was one hundred and forty one points in a twelve game season, and the NFL record was broken. His record was broken years later, maybe ten years later, by guys who had fourteen game seasons. I think it was a kicker at Minnesota that that did it. Let me, this is not a good way to to do.
Speaker 1: That's all right, But.
Speaker 2: Where's this chapter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, see, if he could throw that one on the pile, that would be great, because we talked about it in the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had an unbelievable season as a kicker. And the ironic thing is we've been brought him in as a free agent because the Jets kicker when we took over was a defensive lineman that really wasn't very good, but they didn't the old Titans didn't really have any choice, and so he brought Turner in in sixty four his second year. Week second year, took him literally, just called him up out of nowhere, had him fly out to the West coast, and had him do a tryout. And we've tried to sign him for the next season. This was in the middle of the sixty four season. He tried to sign him for the next season, and Jim refused because Jim said, I want to be a free agent. I might get a better offer. No, he was probably going to get a better offer. Was we was very well known for being very very cheap, and so he held out. He signed by the Jets for the next season. Okay, and he slowly made his mark. I mean, in those years, kickers who made sixty percent of their kickers were yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, conversion rate acceptance rate among fans is a lot different back then than what it is now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean he would have been booed off the field. But but after he replaced Dick Goozman, who was the defensive lineman I mentioned before, and he came to camp, Jim Turner started, you know, a very good career with the Jets. But he was good inside of fifty yards, like he let me show you. I'm looking at some of these numbers. Between forty and forty nine, he was only thirty two percent, wow, and eighteen percent beyond fifty He so he was not he was not great. But but I think he's got a he should be in the hall in the the honor roll around the ballpark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the yeah, Ring of Honor, Yes, yes, the.
Speaker 2: Ring of Honor. Absolutely. And he got hurt in sixty seven training camp and he lost it to a guy named bouth Lustig who was had been the kicker with Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: But then Lustig got hurt. So Turner got back for the beginning of the season and let's see in in nineteen sixty nine, Yep, he hit on. He had thirty four field goals. He had a new klicker, Babe Perilli I mentioned it was acquired from the Boston Patriots during the off season. And he was not only a good, good backup quarterback, he was an outstanding holder.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: He had a skill level that nobody at that point did, and he made by Jim's own admission, he made Jim Turner into an All Star that year and the next year he was pretty good. But then when when Babe left nineteen seventy, Jim's kicking went down. As far as the Jets were concerned, they traded him to Denver and he is in the honor area in Denver for the records that he set there. So Jim Turner doesn't get enough. I mentioned last week that the whole defensive line, Philbin, Verlin Biggs and John Elliott, they each had over ten sacks that year. That was white the sack exchange, but they were better against the run than the sack exchange was. So they were combination really really good. Atkinson, the middle linebacker, Al Atkinson had a very good year that year. Jim Turner, Jim Turner, their strong safety boy made the All Star team. In fact, the week after the Super Bowl game mm HM, eleven of the Jets went to play for the AFL East in the All Star Game. And and that was and that it probably was a record, you know for that time. The other thing was their look, their defensive backs. Billy Baird was had been a free agent by Baltimore. Jim Hudson. Jim Hudson who was I'm talking about the strong safety was a free out of Texas who had actually played quarterback for Texas UH in the Cotton Bowl one year. Johnny Sample they had he was a veteran, but they had signed him as a free agent. And Randy Beverly who was the other corner, had all been a free agent. So I mean, that's some of the guys who really, you know, had terrific years. And on the Ovensive line, I could name all all of the guys because Winston Hill and Bob Tallamany and John and Dave Herman and Andy Rasmuss and were at the top of their game that year. And I mentioned in the book and I know I've said it here, Yes, Joe is almost it was almost an impregnable offensive line that it couldn't get You couldn't get past them. The Joe he would get hit only maybe for twelve sacks a year, and you know, twenty twenty five was the norm against Moost teams. The defenses back then were much rougher, the rules were much less restrictive as to what that's alignment could do. And so it's you know, quite a team. And of course George sour who was of course the you know start number three in the Super Bowl. And so I mean, I mean, it's almost nobody on that starting team that I couldn't really give a start to. And then you after, I have to say this, and that is the coaches. Yes, loom what Michaels, who was the defense coordinator, not in name, but in responsibility, just had built a defense that led the AFL in defense that year that you couldn't you really couldn't run against him, you know, in the in the championship game at Shay only accumulated like fifty five yards in a running attack on thirty something attempts. They just couldn't do anything to get the Jets running. And Solamonica Daryl Lamonica just threw on almost every down and he had a big day statistically, but he couldn't he couldn't get it done. So Michael deserves a lot of And Cleave Rush, who was the offensive coordinator. Yeah, and this is a great story too.
Speaker 1: Oh please.
Speaker 2: The end of that season, Burke Steelers needed a new coach and it came down to Cleve Rush, the offensive coordinator for the Jets, a guy named Chuck Noll who was the defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Cults. Yeah, and New England hired Cleve and Pittsburgh hired Chuck Noll.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, wow, wow, Oh, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: Cleve was an obvious choice for either one of those teams. But the Jet players that I talked to all loved Cleve but said he was not head coaching material because he was way too sensitive and so he lasted in New England a year and a half, maybe it was two years. And Chuck Noll, whatever happened to Chuck Noll, Chuck and all.
Speaker 1: God, that name sounds awfully familiar. I'll have to hit that with a Google search to get back to you.
Speaker 2: Do a Google are on.
Speaker 1: Well, let me ask you this, because this was a question that came up yesterday. How does the talent of the how did the talent of the AFL compared to the NFL. Because that's why are some people when we're talking about this about rushmore conversation doctor guy like Don Maynard, because they said he wasn't consistently going against NFL talent and thus maybe some of the numbers could have been bloated.
Speaker 2: I'd say in the early years, the numbers probably were bloated. He was playing against NFL rejects in Canadian League players guys like Don Maynard, Blaine len Dawson, Dave Perrilly, George Blanda, I could name a whole bunch of others, mostly offensive players had not been given as good a shot in the NFL as as they may be deserved. I mean, Len Dawson is a classic example. He just didn't get that much of a chance with Pittsburgh. Blanda had kicked around in the NFL with the Bears and Detroit. I believe he was not young when he came to the AFL. Same with Parilli. Perilli was the number two draft choice in the NFL in nineteen fifty two by Green Bay, and he was on green Bay, he was on Cleveland, he was on Detroit. He had a second shot at Green Bay when Lombardi came in and Vince said, nice to meet you, goodbye. So Maynard Maynard came in and he had some big years with terrible quarterbacks that the Titans had, And it wasn't until Nameless showed up in sixty five that Maynard really had a professional But they were playing against mediocre talent I'd say into the sixty four season. But that's when the Jets opened their wallet and started putting out big money and that forced the other teams. Actually, San Diego had been doing that too. San Diego had a good talented roster of collegiate players that they had signed, and Kansas City did do because Lamar Hunter was an oil man, had money Galore, there was no problem there, but it was the rest of the league. And once the Jets started spending, a number of the other AFL teams started spending two and guys like Otis Taylor, who the Dallas Cowboys tried to hide in a hotel room I think in Dallas and the Kansas City Scotch just basically broke through the window. So these young talents started to get into the AFL. Famously, in my book, I said to Matt Snell, you know, your rookie year in sixty four, that was really your best year as a pro. And he said to me, look at the competition I was playing against. And in other words, what he was telling me was the competition got better and better and better every year, and it became harder, you know, for him to really go past what he was already achieving. But you know, it really was a matter of bringing in young players and letting them grow and be coached up. I mean, Dave Herman is a great example. He was drafted the same year as Snell by the Jets and the Giants, and Dave Herman decided to sign with the Jets. He immediately started and and Weeb, who was a master coach of offensive linemen, quarterbacks, kickers, offensive linemen. You know, it took him under you know, his wing Winston Hill cut by Baltimore at the end of the sixty three training camp. Yeah, and Don Shula was telling guys he was cutting, go up to New York and talk to Web. I think he needs some players.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow. So the talent started to get bigger and bigger. And what Super Bowl three really showed the AFL had caught up as far as personnel, and Kansas City, you know, made a giant extra impression on that the next year because Kansas City was loaded with guys. Talk about guys who should be in the Hall of Fame. You could probably put a third of the guys who started for Kansas City in the Hall of Fame because they're they're just so memorable and they were so talented.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me anything about this player, because this player is coming up. Because Justin Fields gets added to the team and a lot of people go, well, let's look at the previous rushing records for quarterbacks, and in the modern era, Geno Smith gets brought up twenty thirteen at three and sixty six rushing yards. But I'm like, there's got to be more than that. So I keep digging in history, digging in history, and I come up on a guy named al Duo from the New York Titans days, and he had I think it's four fifty and change or something in a single season.
Speaker 2: Eldaro is one of those. I think he was held. He had had a chance in the NFL and I think in the Canadian League.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what can you tell me about him?
Speaker 2: You can see some old time film of al Daro on YouTube playing. He was He was a shifty quarterback. He wasn't big in athletic or anything like that, but he was shifty. You remember how you've probably seen film you weren't around friend Tarkington, a little guy, he's like five to eleven, maybe he was six feet and he'd drop out of the pocket and he'd go left and he'd.
Speaker 1: Go right, squirrely. Yeah, he's right.
Speaker 2: Dar wasn't do wasn't that talented, and he certainly didn't call plays for him to run with the ball. But there were instances that again you can see on film of him scrambling, you know, downfield.
Speaker 1: So was most of that scrambling not design quarterback runs.
Speaker 2: Not design.
Speaker 1: No there, Oh my gosh, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: No design. That shows you how bad the offensive line was apparently.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But also the numbers to get to a four to sixty and change number based purely off of scrambles. I mean that's insane. Regardless of the twenty twenty five or nineteen sixty that is wow.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I'll just dispute you there, because nineteen sixty, sixty one, sixty two, go back, go back and look at the rosters, which you can do. There's a roster page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pro Football Reference, sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like there's a there's a draft page.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know the guys Titans drafted in the fall of sixty two, of which they offered none of them any money, and so we When he came in in sixty three, his shelf was bear of collegiates, had signed nobody, They didn't even get free agents. He was just working with Titans players and guys who had been cut, you know, by NFL teams.
Speaker 4: So you can see.
Speaker 2: I mean, Aldo for his time was pretty good. In fact, I think he probably played in an AFL All Star Game in one of those first couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, the numbers are just super eyebrow raising, specially today. But again justin field.
Speaker 2: You you got some of that in front of you. What are his passing six long?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so al duo. Also, when we're going to the single season all time numbers, that's where you also see Dureaux here. So here are his total numbers. I have them all in fun of me.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: His best passing season was in nineteen sixty. That was the same year that he had the crazy rushing numbers. He had twenty seven hundred passing yards and twenty six passing touchdowns. Now he also had twenty six interceptions, which is not great. But when you look at the Jets single season all time passing touchdown leaders, we just did it the other day. Rive Fitzpatrick got thirty one. There's a viny Testaverdy season at twenty nine. DeRose is in there in the top five. Rogers just joined that group last year too. So yeah, So that's that nineteen sixty season of twenty sixdowns in Russia.
Speaker 2: Alway in nineteen sixty was Jameis Winston.
Speaker 1: No, there you go, that's exactly it. That's a great comp because that's what it appears to be, is you look at the numbers, so he appeared to be pure gunslinger here when you look at this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and imagine imagine them playing in the Polo grounds right in front of fourteen thousand people. Now, yes, it was a sad It was a sad time. And Harry was who was the owner, who had been a sportscaster. So imagine, I don't know, I'm trying to think of a really bombastic current day football sports broadcaster, because that's what that's what Harry Wismer was. Harry Wismer came from the school, and there were others who would miscall a play on the field and basically make something up to make that Listen. I've done play by play, not a football but of basketballs not uncommon when you're watching a game, either from far away or a new team that you've never seen, and you get the roster ten minutes before the game, it's not uncommon to miscall the guy or to sure or to just not not say that so and so had the ball. And I put a lot of emphasis when I was doing play by play on I came from Marty Glickman and Marv Allous, which is to basically you mentioned you mentioned every player, and you have to have an appropriate verb for every pass that they make. I used to have a sheet of verbs that would tell me here's what I can say when when somebody makes a pass, a bounce pass, you know whatever. I love that, and it's you know, because to me, I wanted to really give a picture to a listener of what was going on. And you know when I listened to that to the broadcasters today, I find that wanting because they'll just say, oh, so and so it goes back to throw and he throws it, and so and so has it at the thirty two. Well what side of the field is he on? You know, what kind of a pass was it?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know to me that that's important if I'm listening, you know, to the game and trying to get a picture in my mind of what's going on.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, Bob, Well let's go to the fans. We will open up the phone lines here in just a second. But we got a comment in Bob or Mount Rushmore has angered uh some fans in the comments. Why wouldn't they?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: So we'll start here with Philly Noodle setting this in remember for a year, So happy anniversary, Philly noodles. He's saying, sending Bob a telegram here, no revis no mercy. He's the goat.
Speaker 2: He has to be so philly noodle. I want you to write back in and tell me who does he replace on the foursome that I mentioned.
Speaker 1: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Probably he's gonna say, Web, But we brought up only the only championship we ever had, and and and he had won. He had won in Baltimore, the same way he built the Jets team. And in fact, they asked Web and this is one of the reasons I put him on there as well. They asked me after he retired, what was a tougher job going into Baltimore where they had no team and Unitis wasn't there, or going to the Jets with a brand new franchise, a brand new name, no college players, you know, bunch of Titans in NFL and Canadian League rejects. And he said the Jet job was tougher because he started with nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm gonna say this, Bob, because there's been a lot of people doing these jet jet mount rushmore less over the last couple of weeks. You're the only one that's put in Web and I'm not saying that in any other way, but to say I appreciate the creativity because coaches get overlooked in these all the time, and delivering a championship that seems pretty freaking.
Speaker 2: Important, and defensive players get overlooked a lot of the time as well as offensive linemen.
Speaker 1: Right, that's one hundred percent true. Philly Noodle's just coming back in to repeat the same message, shoes. Welly, you heard the call from Bob. You must just shake out somebody.
Speaker 8: Are you taking out?
Speaker 1: Philly?
Speaker 2: Who do you want to kick off?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I want to kick off?
Speaker 1: Yeah he picked kick off, Joe claim he did pick web you bank. There it is he picked a web you bank.
Speaker 2: Okay, well you spelled you bank. So you're out.
Speaker 1: You're out, buddy. All right, let's do this. I love it. Let's uh. Let's go to the phone lines, all right, and let's see how people play nice plots a potential book. Bet oh boy, this is gonna be interesting. The phone lunch are open next after.
Speaker 6: This, he can get football man.
Speaker 4: Hen't just football hug.
Speaker 6: Bob thirste this special Geez.
Speaker 9: Watches foot poo with my green Jay geezyeshes chest chest.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Bob. I told you on the phone that when you were on last time that a lot of people and we have several callers. I want to call in and tell you this to your face that seb People said, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, who's this Bob guy? You got to have him back on the show. And I said, all right, I'll let's see what we can do. And someone said, can you have him on regularly? I said, all right, let me find him. And so we will have some of that here in just a moment. But we must start off with that book bet I told you about. Here is a fan that has a bet for you. Here we go, Scottie Mayhem's on the show. Go ahead, Scotty Bob.
Speaker 10: First of all, I am so happy you're on the show. I was six years old when this super Bowl jets one want to know in the super Bowl, by the way, I one. By the way, I agree with Philly Noodles and it's e W. Just so we're all clear, ew emphasis on two. You Banks does not deserve to be on the Mountain brushmore.
Speaker 11: But we'll leave that for another day.
Speaker 10: I have not read your book yet, Bob, but I would like to make a bet with you. Okay, that's not because I don't want to read your book. My bet is you made two statements on the show which I disagree with, but you also acknowledge you're not an expert on the jets of today. Nobody will debate your expertise on the jets of yesteryear.
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty good about the players today. I just can't remember their names.
Speaker 10: I don't agree. I'm going to make two bets for you. The first one is I will buy ten of your books. One of my friends.
Speaker 2: Make it eleven hundred. I don't need to sell twelve hundred more to get royalty.
Speaker 10: I'll get you twenty. I'll get you to twenty. I will put up ten books, and another of my colleagues on the Jet Nation BG show will do ten, so he'll match my bet. I'll buy ten of your books, so it's another ten. If you want to do twenty, you buy ten of my books. And I don't know what the other FF wants to buy, but I have ten books for you to buy. Your books are about twenty dollars. My books are about twenty dollars, so I'll put up two hundred dollars. First bet, if the Jets win more than the Vegas line, you said the Jets would be lucky. I'm quoting you. You said the Jets would be lucky to win six games. The Jets are not going to win six games. They're going to win ten or eleven games this year. I'll tell you why afterwards. But first bet, if you're a sporting man, I'll go with your Vegas line. Would you like to bet on the Jets over under five and a half games?
Speaker 2: No, honestly, I'll make a gentleman's bet with you. I don't make bets bets. I'll tell you why. I learned a long time ago. I'm really good at that. In the opposite, so I tell you they won't.
Speaker 4: They will.
Speaker 10: I agree they're going to win, and I'm gonna tell you why.
Speaker 2: What if you want to I don't know how much I'm willing to go, but if you're willing to bet, they're gonna win ten or eleven.
Speaker 10: And oh oh, I see, So we'll go beyond the Vegas line. Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 2: I family be if you ain't gonna win ten or eleven games.
Speaker 10: All right, So let's we've already we've already heard you won't do the Vegas line. I got it. So the lucky Jets will win more than five and a half games. So we're already agreeing that the Jets are going to win more because you're gonna be wrong on that. But this is the reason why.
Speaker 2: Why do you Let's let's stop there for a second, because you have the time to do this. Why why do you think that's gonna happen?
Speaker 10: Okay, so you're a historian, Bob, and I appreciate all the knowledge you're bringing from yesteryear. I love it. Actually, some of the stories you've shared, I didn't know, and I watched the game when I was a little kid. I you know, what did I know?
Speaker 2: A six year old? Do you remember? Because I was very.
Speaker 10: Very barely remember the game, but I watched it again at ten and eleven and they showed the game. So yeah, I mean, I fell in love with the Jets, and unlike any other team, this is the team that I would go to war for. I love this team. So it's been hard the last fifteen years. But let me tell you why they're going to be a playoff team this year. And it's based on everything that you've been doing for Jet Nation, which is sharing knowledge. Take a look at seven out of the eight teams that made the playoffs last year, Bob, they all had top offensive line off the top offensive line. The only team that didn't make the playoffs with the top offensive line is Carolina Okay, which there's many reasons why Carolina is trash, but they did have a top offensive line. Only team that didn't make the playoffs. The Jets have upgraded markedly on their coaching. They had the worst coaching staff in football, not even close. The same mistakes that were made the past three years were made last year with the stupid mental mistakes with the penalties and the coddling of players, and then they basically got rid of their head coach and everything went to hell in a handbasket. That is not happening under AG's watch. The Jets coaching and the Jets o line are going to be the reasons why the Jets win way more than six games. A lot of the people on this channel agree with you. They are going to be in for a very happy awakening. The Jets are gonna win often and ugly. So here's bet number two.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I gonna stop you there, what do you mean by ugly.
Speaker 10: They're gonna win games because of coaching, because of game management. They have a much better game manager. Justin Fields is light years better than Mark Sanchez. It's not close. They're gonna win on defense, and they're gonna win on running, and they're gonna win on one read offense. Justin Fields is not an elite processor, but he showed what he's capable of at Ohio State, and with the right coaching, they're gonna win games every single week. You will see it and then we can talk again. But here's my second bet. You said my quarterback is trash. That's basically what you said. So I will give you a second bet, and you can take a look at the same line, Vegas line twenty seven hundred yards. I'll go over, and I'll go over the twenty seven cumulative touchdowns. Second bet ten.
Speaker 1: Both of those real quick would be career highs.
Speaker 2: But not much of a career high. He had something like that with the Bears.
Speaker 10: He didn't Justin.
Speaker 2: Justin Fields is a very nice guy from everything I've read, but I'm telling you he holds onto the ball too long. He only looks at one receiver. He doesn't know how to how to go do the reads from the first a second to the third. In fact, that that was something I concluded watching it was a citrus ball as the Orange Bowl or whatever that he played in as a rook as a senior in college. Yeah, the guys. The guy can run like the run like the devil. And in fact, I think that one of the Jet things they want to teach him this year, because he's not good at processing, is to run more often to get out of there if the first guy is completely covered in his mind. Either throw a ball away, which you know every quarterback can be taught to do, or to run more often because he is very elusive. He's very fast. But typically what I saw here in Chicago for three years was a guy who's inaccurate with his throws. He plays as a thrower like it's the like it's the NC double A. He he's not going to find a receiver that's as wide open ninety percent of the time as he was accustomed to. And he had great receivers as we know. You know at Ohio State too. I listen, I wish, I obviously want the Jets to do as well as they can. I think he's a one year band aid. Maybe they'll keep him a second year as a backup if he's willing to do that. They got him for a two year deal. But you know, my hopest of hopes is that he has a decent year and they decide what the Bears decided, and that is, let's go get ourselves a young quarterback. Gup. We think we can we can mold into a better guy than this. And by the way, I disagree with you that he's better than Mark Sanchez was, Oh my god, and Sanchez is first two years. All say, women, All Sanchez had to do is something comparable to what they're asking fields to do this year, and that is don't make mistakes.
Speaker 10: And that's what's gonna happen, Bob. So you're going to see our new franchise quarterback who is going to run. It's gonna have over eight hundred yards. He's gonna have way over twenty seven touchdowns. They're not going to win the way most teams.
Speaker 2: How many how many interceptions?
Speaker 10: Do you think he's gonna a lot less than you were saying, Bob, Because look, I've already made the offer for the second bet. You say he's trash, He's not trash. He's going to be.
Speaker 2: You know, you you said the way I described him, it sounded you like he's trash. He's not trash, But you know, like, are you a baseball fan too?
Speaker 10: I am a baseball fan, Bob.
Speaker 2: In Major League Baseball, you have Triple A and you have the major leagues, but you also have some guys who described as four A players. They're better than Triple A, but they're not quite up to NFL, to the MLB, you know, caliber to be a really good, reliable player.
Speaker 10: Right, And everything you were talking about is Geno Smith and Sam Darnold. Who are the four A players that are now considered to be better than average quarterbacks? And you had a situation with justin fields where he had no offensive line, he had trash coaching, and he's improved every single year. Take a look at his statistics. There's no debate about that, Bob. Just take a look at what he's done each year. He's going to be better this year. He's not going to throw the number of interceptions you're alluding to. He's going to throw the ball away. And yes, he's going to run. There's nothing wrong with that. If he runs for a thousand yards and he gets twelve touchdowns running. We're all great with that. What I'm saying to you is they're going to win often, and they're going to win ugly, and he's going to be a game manager this year. That doesn't mean that doesn't mean that he can't continue to grow and get better next year, and he will be with the Jets for two years.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was amazing.
Speaker 10: It was an amazing court. They got the best quarterback that they could get in the offseason for the Jets. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: I agree. But winning what you just described, winning often and winning ugly is, as you are correctly saying, what teams that didn't make the playoffs by a long shot the year before inevitably experience when they do make the playoffs. And that's when you got a four or five win team that suddenly wins nine and gets into the playoffs, and and they don't win convincingly week by week, but they do just enough, you know, to to get some ws on the board.
Speaker 1: So, Bob, you know you mentioned that perhaps you know you don't want to do the five and a half on the on the Vegas line. What would be a number that you'd be comfortable with if there's a bet to be had here between you and Scottie.
Speaker 2: Well, again, I don't. I don't do bets, bets.
Speaker 1: Gentleman's bet right if you want to listen, if.
Speaker 2: You want to do a gentleman's bet, I would bet you they don't win more than six games.
Speaker 10: They're going to win more than six.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what gentleman's bet.
Speaker 10: If you don't put if you don't put anything on, it's not it's not worth it.
Speaker 4: You want to do one?
Speaker 1: Isn't that the same thing? Or is that a better word?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: What is the gentleman's bet? You you clarify to me, Bob, what's the different one?
Speaker 2: It's just the one ball bet, dollars one book, and I don't. I don't. I don't do bets.
Speaker 10: Okay, great, how about for your Justin Fields take, Bob, would you like to put a gentleman's bet on that as well?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Great?
Speaker 1: Here here are the numbers, by the way, because Bob said this, so I want to clarify. So Justin Field's career numbers. He said that he's seen it in Chicago, the most total touchdowns Justin Fields has ever had in a season was twenty twenty two. He had twenty five total touchdowns.
Speaker 11: I said, twenty seven was this year.
Speaker 2: As far as yards go, Paul.
Speaker 1: I've got that one. That was not in the same years twenty twenty two. As a matter of fact, there was twenty twenty three at twenty five hundred yards that was the most passing yards.
Speaker 2: So that's not that's not that's not inconceivable. And he didn't have much of a wide receiver corps there.
Speaker 1: Yes, But what I would say, I'm giving credit, yeah, giving real quick giving credit to what Scotty's saying is both of those happening in the same year, is what Scott is saying, which that did not happen in Chicago. Both these are separate years. He's saying both of these will be eclipsed in the same season in which twenty twenty five hits.
Speaker 2: What what would also tell you is going to hold him back is and we had this argument with one of the other callers last week, they don't have a second world. They don't have a second wide receiver to basically take the defense off of. You know, the Jets really only good wide receiver and you can throw, you can talk about throwing the tight ends and and you know, unless you get the world's greatest tight end. I mean, they've got a third year player from Michigan who basically is you know, he's been a serviceable body, and he had a reputation at Michigan of making and making catches. And the kid they draft in the second round has.
Speaker 10: Taskeled Taylor and Jeremy rutckerd are gonna have bunny balls this year.
Speaker 2: Agree with you?
Speaker 10: I agree with you on the wide receiver.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that you really do you really expect they're going to find somebody between.
Speaker 10: Now and the I wrote to as big will can allude to. I've already already written to Keenan Allen, who would be the perfect fit for us as a second wide receiver. I'm not on you don't like Keenan Allen.
Speaker 1: Oh and he was in Chicago, so actually, real quick, give us the Keenan Allen take. Yeah, you were in Chicago. Okay, what did you think of him?
Speaker 2: Not very much? Neither of the Bears. But good, I'm cutting you off.
Speaker 10: Good, Listen, Keenan Allen would be the listen. Garrett Wilson's the number one they don't need Dj Moore, which a lot of people want us to trade for. We don't need to number one.
Speaker 2: You won't get DJ Moore.
Speaker 10: And we don't. We don't want him because he's making twenty seven million dollars and Garrett Wilson's about to get paid. So we don't need DJ Moore. We need a Keenan Allen, you know, gray Beard, seven hundred to eight hundred yards. He's the perfect guy for us. I believe he's going to come to the Jets. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not Amari Cooper because Amari Cooper is shot. But look, even if they don't, they have a committee. They have Josh Reynolds, who's going to get thirty to forty you know receptions. They've got the guy from Green Bay who I hope they trade. They have a committee of wide receivers Tyler Johnson. Some are saying is going to do well. Their tight ends are going to be the number two wide receivers on this team. But Bob, look, I would do one book with you. That's twenty dollars. I'll buy your buck.
Speaker 2: I'll read your book again. That is very kind of you, and it's very It sounds like a very lucrative.
Speaker 10: Yeah, could you get twenty the way?
Speaker 2: By the way, I think I disagree with you. I think their running backs are going to be their second wide receiver.
Speaker 10: Prieste Hall is going to catch a lot of balls.
Speaker 2: I think to Allen has that talent as well.
Speaker 10: Yes, I think Brice. I know they're talking about a committee of running backs, but Breese was hurt last year. Nobody talked about it. He had a knee injury. Breese is a beast. He's going to show out. He's going to have well over fifteen hundred yards. You want to bet on that. No, I know you're not making any bets, but Breeze is going to have a monster year. Take them in the fantasy football early and Bob, I still love your content. You're amazing with your history. You're not very good with the current chats. I'm sorry sorry for that take, but you will learn this year that the coaching is the most important thing.
Speaker 2: Listen, Well, I agree with you totally because one of the keys to the Super Bowl Jets team was how much they coached up guys who were very good in college. But as you know, in college, you're playing against kids other guys. You go to the pros and you're suddenly playing against men with a lot of experience, and it doesn't come all that easily to ninety nine point nine percent of rookies who come into the league unless you're super duper talented, and that's a hard thing to find so or if you.
Speaker 10: Have super duper coaching, and the difference between what we had last year and what we have this If you just go over every single person that we have on our coaching staff, it's going to be a revelation. People don't realize how important coaching is. It's more so in football than in any sport throw out baseball, throw out basketball. Football is by far and away, the coaching staff makes the most impact of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you the other thing that's very unique about football, and that is the dynamics of the guy that you play again, play a play with on your left and on your right if you're on the defensive line or offensive line. Because one of the things that Grantham taught me is that you have to know what everybody that you're playing with on the team is capable of doing and where their shortcomings are so that you can help to overcome those shortcomings. If you know the guy doesn't have good enough speed against somebody coming out of the backfield, that there are things you can do to slow them down, or to provide some additional coverage that sort of thing. Or you know, you're more susceptible against the run because you're trying to, you know, brush the passer on every play, So you have to make adjustments to that. And football week is unique like that.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Scotty. We have a lot of cars to get to, so you're going to keep moving along here. Up next is Bubbah blub Blah Badshaw here on the show. Oh he might be in a tunnel batchaw wait do we got you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: You got me?
Speaker 5: You got me?
Speaker 1: I'm actually okay.
Speaker 4: How are you, Bob?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you? Where are you?
Speaker 2: Where are you driving to and from?
Speaker 12: Well it's gonna sound a little weird, but I'm headed to Coopertown.
Speaker 2: Oh really, do you you work? You don't work at the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: No, no, I I work in Goobertown, Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, then I don't know when Cooper's town. You are a die hard in Arkansas. I want to hear what you got to say.
Speaker 12: Well, I was actually one of the people.
Speaker 4: Get you know.
Speaker 12: About Me and Paul are about the same age, So obviously I never got to see any Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brenan Brennan, one second you your call broke up there, so Bob didn't hear you. You said you were one of the ones, and then he cut out to just repeat yourself, go ahead, please.
Speaker 12: I was one of the one of the guys that reached out to Paul as soon as I watched the last video you were on, and I said, hey, we've got to get Bob. We got to get him back on. We've got to get him on more often. Me and Paul are about the same age. So I obviously never got to see anything of Super Bowl three.
Speaker 2: You know, you can go on YouTube and watch the whole game.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I mean I've seen it. But I mean as for really getting to know the players and whatnot. And you know, nowadays I can get on Twitter, Facebook and I can I can find out, you know, what songs these players are listening to while they're walking up to training camp.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 12: I don't know that stuff about Don Maynard. I don't know that stuff you know about Winston Hill or Curly Johnson the kicker. I don't the punter, the kicker, the old line. So I really enjoyed because I was hoping you were gonna ask me, Brandon, did you buy my book? Because I've got your audio book and I've been listening to it.
Speaker 5: Oh what do you know what?
Speaker 2: He mispronounces only a couple of players' names. But what do you think of the audiobook?
Speaker 12: I thought it was really good. It was kind of interesting because when it came to the page, I guess there's a page where it's just the roster and.
Speaker 2: That he read that. Oh my god.
Speaker 12: So I sat there for like ten minutes and it's like alphabetical order.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like bye by the self cover copy. It's very cheap and you'll have a keepsake.
Speaker 12: Yes, I'll definitely do that. The reason the reason I went with the audio book is I listened a lot while I'm at work, so but you know, uh, there was a lot of interesting things, you know, that I've learned and I kind of forget about. I think you were talking about Curly Johnson being under a semi ball at one point when he was the Titans coach, and I thought that was kind of interesting, just in the fact that, you know, we all talk about semi ball being, you know, kind of the guy who I can't think of the word, but he just kind of like brought in the forward pass.
Speaker 1: He made it.
Speaker 4: He made it sexy.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep. But he was a great but he was a great punter.
Speaker 12: Exactly, and he was also a great defensive back. But that being said, I thought that was kind of interesting. He probably learned he probably learned some stuff from Sammy and whatnot. But I was gonna ask you, I miss the very beginning of this show when you were saying, who was on your mount rushmore.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, we're getting a lot of pushback. But I have name of I have Joe Cleco, I have Curtis Martin, and I put Weed Bond there because they the only Super Bowl champion winner. And he literally he had the parcels attitude, let me do the boy of the let me let me do the bull in the kitchen. So you're not only drafted the guys made those decisions, but then he had a staff and with himself he coached them up. And what you'll hear or what see in the book is how pervasive his coaching was because he coached the kickers, he coached Joe, he coached the offensive lineman. I mean, he turned Winston Hill into what Winston Hill became, which which was a Hall of fame offensive lineman. So for that reason, I have him up there, and I understand Reeves and I could, you know, if I could remember all the names. I mean, I thought I was a big Freeman McNeil fan when I was when I first came here. And he and he was a great running back too, and and there were other guys. I mean, they had they had some really terrific offensive lineman who I really respected for their quality and for how long they lasted so and you know, hey, the whole the whole line you know, uh that they had with with with coleco and and everybody else was was awesome for two or three years. Actually, it's a fascinating ESPN documentary that I was just watching a couple of weeks ago about that offense, about that defensive line.
Speaker 1: Oh I saw that. Yeah, we had the director Ken Rogers, he joined us on the show.
Speaker 8: He was at a lot of.
Speaker 2: Things, a lot of things I had forgotten, including how short their tenure really was uh, you know, as a forceome but but they were great.
Speaker 12: Well, I thought that was interesting in your book with Winston Hell about how his dad called him and you know, he's like, yeah, you need to stay, you just you just say you just you just stay there. And then you know what he ended up becoming because of his you know, his dad told him to stay, you know, don't go home. You know, we'll get this figured out. And uh, you know that that's pretty insane as well. But anyway, so I've got to ask, because it's obviously the books Beyond Broadway, Joe, and you may have said this in the past, and I may have just missed it. I guess, do you believe Matt Snell should have gotten the MVP of that game? Or do you believe Joe did it enough?
Speaker 2: Or look, in those days, it was the quarterback who got all the glory. And so I wasn't shocked. But in retrospect, even the next day, the owner of Sonny Werblin, or the ex owner of Sonny Werblin, said it should have been co you know, co MVP with Joe and in fact, as a result, Sonny who had a promise, uh to to Matt not only about a lifetime job, but about you know, if he if they won a Super Bowl, that he'd get a car or whatever. He went out and bought him a really fancy sports car. So yeah, I mean, and and boy, you know when you watch that Super Bowl game, which again I want to tell everybody is on YouTube, including the commercials.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I love seeing those old commercials there.
Speaker 2: It's interesting when when Matt Snell got the ball, Baltimore could not take him down. He really was like a wild bull. I mean, he took two or three guys and he kept going and going and go and not just being stopped and churning, but he was breaking tackles and going downfield and getting you know, twelve yards when he could have held him to six. I mean, just just an unbelievable job, you know that he did that day. And and you never heard anything from Matt about, well, hey, you know what about me? Why didn't I get the accolades and that sort of thing. It was all Joe and hey, I was sixteen years old that day, and Joe was the stir. That's that was the strawest stir to drink, and he was he was the guy He was the difference maker, There's no doubt about it. And he put the bull's eye on his back with his that the Jets were going to win the game, and Baltimore responded and tried to kill him. I couldn't get to him more than once in the game. So yeah, but Matt Snell, he was outstanding. And I told you guys last week, I spent fifteen hours talking to Matt and it was a revelation. He's a terrific guy, and I wish that there wasn't such animosity on his part and so much ignorance on the Jets part to make this go the way as I mentioned last week George Steinberner did with Yogi Barrow when Yogi basically said I'm done with the Yankees.
Speaker 1: Well, I just have to jump in here bad seean just say this that, Bob, now that you've agreed, you may want to go back on that after all the angry phone calls and things that may still be coming here, that you may want to go back on that word, But your agreement to join us weekly moving forward. I know me and batchall were talking about it off air, about the Matt Snell tapes and everything else. That you collected with the book. I think a lot of people would be fascinated to hear some of those conversations, perhaps for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, as I said I have, I'm a little bit like Bob Woodward in that I taped every conversation so that I could because I had someone transcribe it for me. I wanted to make sure that I got it all right. The only problem, the only problem with some of the audio is I'm so busy laughing at some of the stories that they're telling me that it may be it may ruin a little bit of of the sound quality. But I even got written approval from each of the players except one, to use those audio as I see fit. So I may. My wife keeps telling me you should put out an audio file.
Speaker 1: And so, oh my goodness. Yes.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: By the way, Bob, we have to know the follow up when you ask a journalist something like that, Hey, I got approval from every player but one. I am forced to ask, by the gods who the player was that didn't give you approval?
Speaker 2: Randy Rasmussem because his best friend was a lawyer. Ah, I don't know, I don't know what that meant because I said, Randy, I'm not going to do something the faiious with this, of course, and he said, well, but I just I would want to know and want to give you approval as to, you know, what you were going to do with it. So you know, if I do what's been suggested, you think that's a great idea. So maybe I should should really take a serious look at it. But what am I going to do it for the sixtieth anniversary? When do I wait until the last one passes away then say and then say, Okay, I've got all this great material that that went into the book, and you know it's to me, it's a treasure. And I'll and I'll say this, it's hard for it not to come across as taking a slap at Joe. But Joe's last book was really, in my mind, so questionable because.
Speaker 1: It's four quarters book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got some one of my friends, the guy who provided me with all the gent memorabilion and review bank stuff and such. He went to Joe's press public session when he introduced the book, and he got me a copy and it's signed by Joe. It's the only signed copy from Joe of anything but yeah, but Joe just seems to have forgotten what happened in some of the things in that book. And I was amazed at that. I mean I have like, for instance, he tells the story about the night the morning after he predicted they were going to win the Super Bowl. Yes, everybody I talked to said that Joe came into the breakfast area and immediately got hounded by some of the players, some jokingly and some seriously. One of the guys said to him, what are you trying to do. We're trying to we're trying to lull these guys to slip, and you're waking them up headlines right, and we've came in He called them, Joseph, Joseph, what did you do last night? Because they all were reading the Miami Miamiyah. And in Joe's new book, he says, oh, that all happened on the playing field the next day, and he tells it quite differently. And I just looked and I said, what is this?
Speaker 4: What's going on? What?
Speaker 2: Why is he changing the story? And there were several other instances in his book. So I I really lost, you know, respect for Joe. But he doesn't he doesn't care about me and couldn't care less so anyway.
Speaker 1: But yes, for your audio. You know, I'll help you in any way that I can, because I think getting that out will give a boost to the book to make it, you know, reallive again.
Speaker 2: What do you what do you think of that idea? Bado?
Speaker 12: Yeah, oh I love that idea. Yeah, well we may and h have't been talking. We've been talking about it off air, So I would I would love. I would love for you'll get that together. Definitely be looking forward to that. And I think and I'm not and you know, it's not just me. I'm not the only one. There's plenty of other people in the group that want to hear all that.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 2: What makes me feel good is that because you are of that certain age that seems to have lost any real interest in that game because or in that team, because it was almost sixty years ago. And I think that's unfortunate because that's the legacy of the franchise. Of course, you know, whether the current ownership wants to accept that or buy it or not, and they seem not to. That's that's really what this what this history of this franchise is and they should be doing everything they can to basically clean up the mess because, as I said one of the last pages of the book, they have the worst record of any of the AFL teams that went into the NFL that year. I mean since the Merchant and that correct. That's that's horrible.
Speaker 1: So anyway, good. Yeah, but yes, we'll try to see if we can make that happen by because so many fans should be open to it. We could try to find a way to play some of that on the show. It would be great for all the fans to get a listen to it. Yes, so we'll work behind the scenes, Bob, and we'll help in any way that we can to make that a reality.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I've got to I'll get off here. I know there's other people, but I do. I had two little, two little questions I wanted to ask, and I'll get off your answer them after I get off.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 12: One being I want to hear what y'all are doing for the Force to celebrate the Force tomorrow. And the second question, Bob, as for me and Paul, we've never experienced a Super Bowl win. Can you explain what you felt that day? You know, when you when when they wanted all you said you were sixteen years old. The closest thing, and Paul after that as probably New York beating New England and twenty eleven, that's the closest way up. So can you can you walk us through that amazing day?
Speaker 2: Well? Thank you?
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I remember tingling as I was watching the game that day as they as they were winning. They were winning in the first quarter, they were winning in the second quarter, they extended their lead in the third quarter, they extended it again in the fourth quarter, and I just saying, Holy, you know what, They're going to win this game. This is unbelievable. Because as big a Jet fan as I was, I had my doubts about some of the players. And I thought I thought that Randy Beverly was was easy for the pickings. You know, he was the right cornerback and he had two interceptions that day, and Baltimore had been so impressive defensively that I just I had doubt that the offensive line could hold them off as often as they did. But as I said last week, we was praying for blitz's against names because name hath picked teams apart that blitzed him. And they had two weeks to watch film and The famous story is that Pete Lamon's, but there were others ms and Boozer was another one who said, turn off the film. You're making this over confident because we know we can score against this team, and in fact, we've came in the first time that he sat down, you know, with the film to go over it with the guys and said, hey, listen, Cleave and the rest of the coach have been watching this and if we can't throw against these guys, we should just hang it up. Yah. Lance Allworth, while I interviewed for the book, said to me, I think I think the Jets went into a shell. They I'm so busy trying to protect the lead and make sure they didn't make a mistake. He said. If it had been me, I would have gone to Joe if he was on my team. Owner said, Joe, let's bust this thing open. Yeah, let's give it to him. So you know. The other famous story, Lenny Dawson was sitting in the stands and he was surrounded by NFL guys and as the game was going on, he kept looking at him and saying, so what do you think of the AFL now? And next year, of course he had his chance, and he did a great job. But as I was watching a game and becoming so and so more and more aware they were going to win. Yes, But it was the euphoria for the next week because, as I mentioned, I went back to school. I went to syvest In High School in Manhattan, and I had to travel in from Queens every day. It's not an hour and twenty five minute commute or whatever. And all my friends who I hung at with and we talked football all the time, they came up to me. They were all giant fans and hey, congratulations, your guys won and they deserve to win. Last yesterday they just outplayed the Colts. And you can imagine as a kid how great that feels, because today, if that happened, they would say, you just got You were lucky. I mean that's what the NFL owners said, you were lucky. If you paid ninety nine more times, you wouldn't win one of those games.
Speaker 1: Well, I just know what's going to happen before I kick the bucket. The Jets are going to win the Super Bowl, and that feeling is going to be insane. We have a ton of more callers, plenty more callers, so we'll continue the train to year up next, Johnny boy, who's been waiting patiently. Johnny, good morning, sir, and you're on mute just before you start.
Speaker 2: Mary, Mary, Johnny, good morning.
Speaker 4: How are you guys?
Speaker 2: We're good. I hope you are too.
Speaker 4: I'll doing really well.
Speaker 13: It's my Dogter's birthday today, her first birthday, birthday.
Speaker 2: What's your name of Addison? Addison?
Speaker 4: Great?
Speaker 1: Yes, happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Happy, So Bob's I had a.
Speaker 13: Few questions and I kind of wanted to touch base on a little bit with Scotty, said, I love, I love a lot of a lot of the things that Scotty does say. But DJ Moore or Keenan Allen, I'm taking DJ Moore.
Speaker 2: Oh every day. They would never they'll never get DJ Moore from the Bears. You know, he's integral to their offense here, and they.
Speaker 1: Got a couple of receivers. Right Luther Burden Realma Dune said, they can afford to give up Dj Moore, Right, Bob.
Speaker 2: Luther Burden, from everything I read pre draft was so overrated that I was really surprised. I was wondering who was gonna draft him, and he just he just didn't do anything. His last year in college, so you know, maybe he's gonna turn out and maybe he'll be like Dan Marino and had a very very uh unexcited draft night.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, never know, But I love when you say that who is going to draft him? Bears? Apparently they're the ones that are gonna draft him. But go ahead, Johnny.
Speaker 13: Sobo So I had a question right in regards to Joe Namath and Dom Maynard, right because you've watched both of them play. Yeah, so I wanted to ask because I mean, I think what that offense was pretty high flying back back in those days. Put them in this era. Do you believe that Joe Namath would be successful in the sense in an offense or in the NFL that kind of protects now more of a quarterback and Don Maynard as well for wide receivers, do you think that they would be a lot better or worse? Because I know you did state Joe names issue was he wasn't really good being on target his target.
Speaker 2: No, that wasn't you know. It's a very complex answer, but it's an interesting answer I can give you. He had two bad knees, he couldn't move. I don't know how well, he would survive in the NFL today because I think the pass rush is stronger and faster.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 2: They don't. In those days. The Jets kept both of their running backs, Snell and Boozer and Bill Mathis. All three of them were really good blockers. And watch and watch just clips of the Super Bowl game or anything else you can see and look at all the running back blocking that Namath had every time he went back to throw anything more than a quick hitter. They don't do that anymore. They don't even have two running backs anymore, which I think is a big mistake, and they do it because they want to have a more wide open offense. But I think you can get running backs who are both effective, and I like what the Jets are trying to do now with speed and quickness in one back and power in Allen in another back. That to me, you know, is a kin It's not the same as Boozer and Snell, but but it's close. But even then, they're not going to use him at the same time most of the time, and I think I think they should. But Namath would be much more of a target now and he was a target then. But here's the big difference. Back then, there was an unwritten rule. You don't hit Joe below the waist because the league, the AFL, knew he was He was their their limitless credit card. He was the guy that was getting all the headlines and lifting the league publicity wise, and was a great player. And today, how many great players are there. It's not the same thing. There were no other great young quarterbacks in the American Football League and certainly nothing like Nameth even in the NFL back then. So it was a different time. And I'm not saying that Joe didn't get hurt. He did. He had busted ribs when he played Denver and Oakland famously, like Lasseter hit him and broke his jaw, but again above the waist, because they knew if they if they nailed him on either of his legs, that might be the end of his career. Yet when the that's it, like all this stuff is in the book. But when the Jets brought name It in for his first press conference, uh, the doctor for the team, the team physician, the Jets hadn't even looked at his knees yet, and they took the team physician took him into the men's room and sat him down and looked at his two knees, and he went back to web and Sonny Werblin said, you might want to get yourself a second quarterback because I don't know how long he's going to last. And name had name one more thing. Name it had had a number of operations as a jet quarterback, and he always bounced back. But you know, he just was a question mark every year because of the condition of his knees.
Speaker 4: So that's what I was going to ask.
Speaker 13: So with modern medicine and the way it is now and technology on how advanced it it is compared to what it was back then, you think that.
Speaker 2: Would have you know, that's a great you know what, Johnny, I give you a lot of credit. That's a great point.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean Boozer had experimental surgery on his knee and it was the first of many, uh you know, well executed operations for knee injuries like he had until that point. When you had a knee injury like that, you were done. In fact, Boozer was told get ready to go back and become a teacher Jesus.
Speaker 4: And what do you think about don You think don would have been able to talk.
Speaker 2: Mayd Maynard would thrive in any era, and now, especially because the rules are so much in favor of the wide receiver. You can hit him beyond five yards. Maynard had had sprinter speed back then, not not akin to what they do now. But he was a track and field guy, and he was fast, and he was elusive, and he was very thin, but he was tough as nails. He took a lot of hits and just came back, you know, ready, ready for the next pass.
Speaker 13: Pops always said that he looked like he was just gliding on air on how fast he was in his stripe.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what Baltimore had, not not one guy the whole season against the Colts had gotten beyond their defensive backs, you know, on on a fly pattern because they had this so called impregnable you know, deep deep defense. And in the first quarter Namath Maynard had a bit of of a problem, you know, with his knee, and they kept it quiet, but but everybody knew that he wasn't one hundred percent, and he beat their defensive backs the first time he went deep. And that's why all the attention and all the defensive rotation went to him and that made George Sour wide open because he was going one on one against Lenny Lyles, and Lenny Lyles was, you know, the the Achilles heel in Baltimore's defensive backfield.
Speaker 13: Well, Bob, I appreciate that. Beg appreciate you guys on that wanted to come up here and ask that. I really do like that you do come on the show. I'm one of the guys on air that I love hearing the stories.
Speaker 2: Man By the book. It's you know, it's not expensive anymore because it's been out for five years, and you can buy the softcover edition, which I'd recommend that that's an easy and easy acquisition. And I know as a Jet fan, since you're interested, you will enjoy it, I said last week, and I think it's the case. Is one guy that bought the book that told me he had read every book that there was about that team, and every second or third page of the book he learned something new that he didn't know. Get to know these guys, because, as one other guy said to me, this is something that people are going to look back at fifteen one hundred years from now, and that's what he thought. This book's value is going to be. It is really the only look at everybody else on that team, although Namath has the second longest chapter in the book.
Speaker 13: Most definitely man Well, last thing, real quick. I wanted to say this because I know it's been going in the in the chat. The biggest thing for me with this upcoming season is it's just such an unknown. We don't know what Glenn is as a head coach. We don't know what Justin feels could potentially be. With Tanner Angstrang potentially being in a really good OC, we don't know what Tanner is.
Speaker 4: Breis Hall has a lot of stuff to prove.
Speaker 13: The defense has a lot to prove as well. They're hearing people saying that all it's the Jets again, you know the You're gonna see them more paper, It's another check mark.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things they have to prove.
Speaker 13: It's the only reason why I feel like I can be a little bit optimistic in regards of the season itself, because it's unknown, and I think they probably have to. We have to be patient because there's gonna be some growing pains.
Speaker 2: Well. And I read, yes, the second youngest team in the league.
Speaker 4: YEP.
Speaker 2: Just about every acquisition they've made and they've been all free agents are young guys, some of them they're all going to be coached and coached up. Some of them will blossom. But you know, I'll been, out of every ten, you'll have two that are really going to become players, and everybody else will fall to the side and be replaced by somebody else.
Speaker 13: But I think this team will be a lot more discipline than what they have been in the last I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree. I love the fact that he's a Parcels disciple because Parcels I just wish they could have retained his and they didn't. But anyway, Johnny, thank you. I really appreciate your but but by the book, you'll enjoy it sounds good, any guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. Another way, speaking of the book, let me throw it up here on the screen real quick. You guys can go to Yeah, you could go to Amazon right now. Beyond Broadway Joeisubull Team that changed Football. The paperback version is available right now on Amazon, so make sure you head on over just typing in Beyond Broadway Joe and it pops right up there on the top link, So make sure you check it out there.
Speaker 2: Do you have any doubts at all. Read read the recommendations of people who are present.
Speaker 1: They speak to themselves. Yeah, we have over three hundred people in the room, so everyone liked the video a hit. Subscribe. We appreciate it. Support Bob as he's here on the show. One more. We forgot to get to that question from beat Job. What is your Fourth of July celebrations tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Bob?
Speaker 1: What do you got going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think my wife and I are just going to try to find someplace to hang out and do something different because I still work, and so tomorrow will be a welcome off day just to not work. And we may go to the movies this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: We're looking at the Jurassic movie, but I'm seeing I've.
Speaker 1: Been looking at that too. Well, I'll tell you this, Bob, I always feel this way. So you know, it's funny that it all comes full circle when I hear a review for something I haven't a movie. We'll just use that as an example. If someone gives me a view of a movie I haven't seen you and they're like, I don't know, man, it's sort of questionable. I tell that person I make my own decisions, buddy boy, so pack your review. I'm gonna I'm gonna read a book and make my own opinion. I'm gonna watch a movie and do it. So, Bob, if you want to see that Jurassic Park movie with the very talented and beautiful Scarlet Johansson, then damn it, you go see that movie, Bob letter. As far as I'm concerned, let's go.
Speaker 2: We'll go to the early show to get the cheapest price we can.
Speaker 1: There, you go, matten a baby, love it all right, Let's go to the phone lines. Frank A k A. For Lily, I gotta get that out of my head because that's that's that's gonna be a hard transition. But for Lily, what's going on? Brother?
Speaker 2: Hey? For really, don't hit me. You look like you're too big for me.
Speaker 4: It just arrived last night.
Speaker 2: Actually okay, well I seriously you can. Yes, here's my email address. It's our fl Bob at gmail dot com. You send me, you send me just little notes as you get through it and say, wow, I love the chapter on web or I love the chapter on Yeah. I literally I just got it. Thank you, thank you. How much would you have to pay for that vintage copy.
Speaker 7: I don't know, twenty bucks. Maybe I don't even know what it wasn't that about? It was on Amazon, don't even remember.
Speaker 2: It wasn't good.
Speaker 4: It wasn't enough for me to care.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you very much. Where do you have I've got a couple of.
Speaker 4: Jet But I was only four.
Speaker 7: In January sixty nine, so I don't remember the game. I watched it twenty million times. Where your fam was?
Speaker 2: Your family? Yeah?
Speaker 7: My brother was a huge My brother's eight years older than me. He was a huge Jets fan, huge Joe Namath fan.
Speaker 2: Where is his copy? Good question?
Speaker 4: Where are you?
Speaker 2: I'll have to let him out him? Where are you calling Trump? Where do you live? I live in Dallas right now, but I grew up in New Jersey. Wow? Okay, good?
Speaker 11: How about the cowboys?
Speaker 6: What was that?
Speaker 2: How about them cowboys that?
Speaker 7: You know what the best part about the being here in Dallas is when Stephen A. Smith, you know, you know Stephen I. Smith is obviously the next day he goes and abuses them because they lost some stupid game or how they lost. It's it's phenomenal because all my friends here, they're all Dallas cowboys do.
Speaker 2: You think they're gonna be any good this year.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they're gonna win nine, nine, ten games between eight and nine and we're in that range, which I think, Actually, I think that Jeffs are gonna be in the same, not ten. I said this before, Paul, You've heard me say this before.
Speaker 4: I said it.
Speaker 7: After twelve games, Jets are gonna be six and six. That's gonna come down to the last five games. I think they're gonna win eight or nine games. And I think they're gonna do it the way Bob you said they were gonna do it. You don't need a second they don't need a second wide receiver.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be throwing. I didn't say. I told I completely disagree with that. They do need a second wife.
Speaker 1: My mob wants a second risk.
Speaker 2: Use their running backs. Is their second wide receiver. They you gotta have. You got to stop the double team on your best wide receiver. They're gonna double team him on every play.
Speaker 7: And I and I think that, I personally think they're gonna they're gonna be able to get the ball out to the breast and and I think Justin Field is gonna run a lot I do believe he's gonna break.
Speaker 2: I think yeah, And I think I think he's gonna run a lot, and they're gonna tell him if if the guy is if the first receiver isn't open. He's not good at looking at the second of the.
Speaker 4: Go.
Speaker 2: And you know, now obviously he could get really badly hurt. But you got to catch him. As Ali used to say, you got to catch me first. And what questions do you have?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: I just so you're you obviously saw the game. You you know, wrote about it well.
Speaker 7: And by the way, your your mount rush were Paul, I agreed, I put we've on that, but I didn't know who to take off. I'll be honest that you can go back to the comments Paul from a couple of days ago. I put weve on that, but I actually had no idea to take off. But I'm all about winning, So I think it has to be people from that Eric, because it's all about the winning. But my question for you is, like you were you were obviously you were sixteen.
Speaker 4: He sent what was.
Speaker 2: Like, what was the most fascinating thing you've like? What we think the most important part of that game was?
Speaker 4: In your opinion.
Speaker 2: And you may have said it in the book, but I'll tell you no.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I mentioned the turning point last week. The turning point was in the first quarter when the Jets realized that Boldemort was running their offense and the Colts didn't realize it. Yeah, that was interesting. Yeah, And I thought that was the biggest ahai in the book. And I tried to get on all kinds of media just to talk about that, because nobody has ever mentioned that. And John Schmidt is the one who told me about it, and he was the center uh and and it's just it's amazing that that could have been the case. But it's a it's an absolute remarkable thing. So that was the turning point in the first quarter when Weeb called Cleve Rush over and they listened to to uh A moral calling plays. And then they called Joe over and Schmidt and said, look, listen, listen to the play calls, and they they could predict what where the ball was going. And so they told Joe go out there and let's mix it up. Let they'll they'll be expecting us to go in this direction. Immediately when they start to move you you're audible, and you change it immediately. In like three seconds get any other would go the other way. And the cole players I talked to, some of them just wouldn't admit that the Jets at one farre and square. But they all said to me they couldn't figure out why they were always a step or two behind on every play. And even the most professional best athletes of all time, when you get them going in the wrong direction, it's hard for them to stop and and and not be taking advantage of it when the ball goes in the other direction. So that that that was that. And and in the third quarter, Boltemore's first play from scrimmage, Tom Maddy goes down, goes up the middle, gets four or five yards, and Roland Biggs hits him. The ball pops loose, and Ralph Baker picks it up and the Jets down deep. What three or four turnovers in that game?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: They beverly had two interceptions, uh, sample had an interception and then interceptions uh And and there was the one bubble recovery.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then in the fourth quarter. And I don't think they threw the ball in the fourth quarter, not one throw.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And that was the big thing. I mean, I think you're year somebody said it was a year. Someone said, well, they wanted to open up the offense, but I'm like, I think they would have lost opened up.
Speaker 2: The offense wanted. He was sitting in the stands too, and he said, damn, let's let's blow these guys off the field. Because he could see from high above, you know that the wide receivers could get open, and he saw what the running backs were doing, even taking swing passes.
Speaker 4: Out of the backfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, always wide opening and Maynard. Maynard didn't make a single catch that day. It might have been one of the best games he ever played because he was the greatest decoy.
Speaker 4: At this hour.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that far, I do remember from watching the YouTube's I have. So I have another comment regarding the Matt's and Matt Snell thaying, you know you mentioned George Steinbrenner and Yogi Bear and the way that got connected. I don't know if you know the story Susan Waldman, who worked for Yes and Who's A Who's A. Yeah, she actually went to George and said, look, you gotta change, you gotta fix this. Do you know anybody who could actually do that with Woody or with someone in a jetment, possibly yourself or anybody. I don't realize that I didn't even notice about match now, by the way, I had no idea if that was going on.
Speaker 4: Told well, like.
Speaker 2: I said, the Post and the Deli News have been sending people there to his home in Newark like it's Newark for years and years and years. It finally stopped after the fiftieth anniversary. But he just ignored them and closed the door. And he wouldn't even talk to him about it. And he was I was the first guy that he told. I told the Jets when when I was escorted into the Jets offices to one of their vps by the guy who helped me with all the WEAED memorabilia. He's he's a very rich guy, has four season tickets, each of them five hundred bucks a game a game for season tickets. And he escorted me and we talked about the book, and uh, the sub came up about what are you going to do for the fiftieth aniverse? Oh, we got big plans and whatever. And I said, what are you doing about Matt Snell? Oh we got big plans too. I said, well, I don't need you to tell me everything, but you know how mad Matt Snell is at you. Oh yeah, we know there's animosity, but we think we can take care of it. I said, listen, I'm here, and I'd be very happy to serve as a liaison in some way or to help you because I can talk to Matt. He won't talk to you right now, and I can see what. In fact, when I met Matt the only time in person, he met me in Manhattan, and I took him and his buddy out to dinner, and part of the evening really was for me to find out from Matt what is it going to take for you to make amends with the Jets. And I left that evening knowing what He might be open to it, but he was ninety percent not there. He really wasn't interested. And his his buddy, you know, basically said that to me as well, that boy, it's really going to take something to turn Matt around because he's got a lot of anger for a lot of years. And I said, yeah, I know, it's it's hard to get over. So I offered it to the Jets and they basically said, don't don't need any help. We got it all figured out. And and I also said last week that at the fiftieth anniversary celebration in the hotel, at least before the before the game. This is on Saturday. The game was on Sunday. The VP that I talked to came over to me. You know, I got Matt's uniform in the in my car on the in the trunk just in case he shows up, and said he's not showing up. You haven't done what you needed to do. Well, you know, we'll still love a great I said, you'll have a great thing tomorrow, but Matt Snell needs to be there. And I got to tell you I'm you know, I'm really sad for you and Test that you guys couldn't make this work because this was the time to make it work. And he I told Matt, you deserve to come out down the field and get the standing ovation from seventy five thousand people that you have long deserved. And you know I feel that to this day. But it's I don't think it's ever going to happen. And I could call Woody's office, you know, from now until hell Freeze is over, and he's not going to come to the phone to listen to me. Do you think it's more the Jets right now, or is it more Matt? It's the Jets. It's the Jets because they think, basically, they think. What they said to me was, oh, yeah, Matt'll walk in here and we'll we'll talk him through this. And I said, Matt's never walking in through this front door. You're gonna have to go to him. Yeah, and oh well, okay, well you know, we'll we'll send people there and they'll go run up to his apartment. I said, that's not it either. You've got to lay the groundwork. He's not just going to stand there and wait for you to drive up. You have, you have, you have to make amends with this guy. This guy Fields, he's been screwed and he's now whatever. He was probably seventy years old. Then how old is he now, Paul? Is he like eighty something?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got that, And I said, this has been brewing for over eighty three.
Speaker 4: He's three.
Speaker 2: He's been brewing for like fifty years. Because he retired relatively early. He played sixty four till seventy three. I think maybe with seventy two, so it's a long time.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he played till seventy two. He retired at the age of thirty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they didn't.
Speaker 4: They didn't.
Speaker 2: They refuse to help him, you know, get a job outside the organization, outside football. We don't, they told him. We don't give references even to our ex players.
Speaker 4: What it's amazing.
Speaker 7: It's an amazing story, which I never knew it.
Speaker 2: And I, you know, and I had a hard time getting people to talk to me about the book on you know, on radio or whatever. And one of the guys I tried to talk to you said, I'm not interested in talking to you. Get me mad to talk to me. And I begged Matt to help me with the book, and Matt said, Bob, I've done all I can to help you, and I'm really not interested in helping promote the Jets because that's what I think I'd be doing, promoting the Jets.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, Thanks for the call, Brot. There you go, four callers coming, Philly Noodles, You're up next.
Speaker 4: What's going on? Bob? Here we go? All right, So, Bob, I respect your take. Yes, weave you bank. I'm sorry I'm putting in the demand in the context like this. I know it sounds mean, but you Bank, Ye, I have to do it. Revers has got to go there, and it's no. And I understand the bias to the super Bowl. The respect of the super Bowl has to be there, and I get it, but you already have that in representatives with Maynard and name can't.
Speaker 2: I didn't put Maynard on there. I put Joe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's what I'm saying. I feel like you got to put Maynard, Nameth, Martin Reaves. You gotta have representatives of yesterday and near the past. You can't. We can't say on an all time team. So I can do that with the Lakers and just be like, well it's Elgin Baylor. I could just pick all the old time guys that were great that one then and excuse Kobe and Shock, like you can do that all day with all these type of teams. You just can't do that. If you're saying all time, it means the span of time. It's time. It's not all team, it's not all super Bowl win, it's all time. So time is relevant to everything, not just the past. So you gotta bring in future. You gotta says, is like top five cornerbacks of all times.
Speaker 2: We're adding a fifth bust to to Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 4: Oh you can add a six. Can you imagine all the other teams like the forty nine ers, the Steelers, like you can add a bus that's bigger than the.
Speaker 2: How many super Bowls do they want?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So I and I was gonna preface. Besides, so I came up in my mind. I'm like, well, I could preface. Okay, I can go with Bob's take and say, Bob, let's go against all the one win super Bowl teams and let's go with their mount rushmore. Would they include every one of their coaches? Maybe right, like the Saints might have to put Sean Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I get that, but those but those coaches didn't build a team. We built a team. That's the only reason I actually put him up there is that he bought the groceries and then he cooked the groceries.
Speaker 4: And it's a good take. It's a New Yorkers take.
Speaker 2: One of the great things about my book, if you haven't read it, is there are anecdotes from we We've used to do annual written analyzes of each of his players, and I had access to that, and so I saw a year to year what he wrote about Joe and what he wrote about Philip and what he wrote about Matt Snell and that sort of thing, and it shows you the development that they made and and that to me was very telling. And and you know who I mean, there probably is a coaching general manager today. I forget. But it's a it's a vanishing breed.
Speaker 4: I hear your take. That's it's a good take without a doubt. So it is to say, like, yeah, let's put that to Bill.
Speaker 2: What else you got?
Speaker 4: I was gonna bring that And I was like, all right, so I think what the take I took there was good with you? So oh yeah. So now with the wins, I'm not Goda. Scotty is my hero. Like Scotty is the iverinnerjet fan that we have where he's like, I'll bet everybody fust the board, we're gonna go to the super Bowl, like you know what I mean, you know, but in actuality, I look at the schedule and I can't help but say, six wins seems almost but easy, And it's really how many times do you split? Do you split all three series which you're AFC East folks, Let's say we went out against the Dolphins or we should win out against the Patriots. That's four wins right there. So I'm not even so.
Speaker 2: We're gonna I don't think we're gonna win out against the Patriots.
Speaker 4: So that's what I'm saying. If you logically just split, give yourself a win with the Panthers, you give yourself a win with the Browns. We give ourselves a win with the Steelers, which is definitely manageable, and we basically beat the Broncos, but we lost the kicking aspect. You have yourself there six wins easily. So to me, it's like, do we are we in fear of the Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: I'm not, Well, you know what, you you just made a great point that hasn't come up today about how many wins they can get. Yeah, do you have any confidence in their kicking game?
Speaker 4: Well, that's what I'm so, let's see if the thinker.
Speaker 2: I think one of them will probably I don't know which one, but one of them will probably be okay. But kicking, kicking is an art. Kicking is not you know, and and in fact, Paul, you probably know who I'm talking about, But there was this unbelievable punter from three years ago that Buffalo drafted out of San Diego State. Yeah, who basically got in trouble that they had rape charges against him which apparently were dropped or they were not guilty or whatever. And that guy, you know, is still out there and I don't know, you know.
Speaker 4: What his He's been picked up, I believe, Actually, yeah, I believe. So I would have to double check, but I think he did get picked up.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but but I mean I was when I heard about him coming out of college. He said, Jeevez, come on, you can draft him the sixth round. What are you going to lose by drafting him in the sixth round?
Speaker 4: The punt God. Yeah, now, Bob one thing. I will hundred percent agree with you. I am in fear of a second wide receiver situation. So let's say Josh Reynolds is your third flex option because he really is a very reliable hands receiver. He proved that the past two years, so I'm cool with him being a good three. I set it across all platforms, JET related, on Facebook, anywhere I can get it. They need to attack some team's vulnerability of having too many good receivers. That's the Packers. There's a couple of the teams headed that way. I mean the Packers got the Tivian Wicks, Dobbs and Watson. Watson would probably be or Dobbs your first, you know, strike, but they could come at a significant cost, meaning you know, these guys want to get paid, but they're not better than Garrett Wilson. So to me, it's not even a competition. You signed Wilson and then you go and trade for somebody's number three or four wide receiver who's not getting enough light that you can become the number two house.
Speaker 2: I'll high drift pick you're willing to go.
Speaker 4: I'm willing to give up a third rounder and you might even be able to get away with a fourth because of the desperation of having too much in one team. Like the Packers drafted Matt Golden, so he has to be a starter. He was drafted I think first round, so you have to start the Yeah, you gotta start.
Speaker 2: What you've seen so far in training camp. You have any belief in Aaron Smith.
Speaker 4: Not one hundred. I think he's the burner, which is fine, but again, he has to come into a fold as a fourth, but he's going to be your four.
Speaker 2: That guy can catch the ball, he can open it up for Garrett well, he will beat defenses with his speed uh and and force them to take him seriously. And you know, even doing that and having the free safety, you know, go deep to him, double team or whatever.
Speaker 4: So Bob, that's a good call. I think he's liking, to me like a DeShawn Jackson when affiliate waters. So if they can get him used in that light, sure, But the Shawn Jackson wasn't he like really considered their number one option. So Arian Smith, still I think you pepper him in. But I still think the number two drafted from somewhere else that you can bring in even as a one year. Hey, we gave up this pick because if it works out, he might help us drag ourselves into a wald farm.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't give up a three. You know, a lot of these teams are trading five, yeah, four parts, and okay, maybe I'll be willing to do that. But because they're going to get some extra picks next year, I think they have a bunch of extra seventh round picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, compensatory picks there. We'll get an extra fourth for Hassan Reddick that is projected, and then several or sevens.
Speaker 4: Is what about a four? A four for Romeo Dobbs or Christian Watson line them up as a second. I don't know, that's pretty that's pretty tough to me. That gives some fear and the other coordinator like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Why is why is Green Bay going to give up a young talented wide receiver?
Speaker 4: Because they have too many as right now? They have way too many. They just picked up a couple of the players too, they picked up Michel Hardman. That could be special teams play to be honest, but either way, they have way too many. They have a plothoraugh. So you were attacking teams with that many. I'm not saying you attack all teams. Teams with that many, you have to go and take a gamble out.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, makes a lot of sense. Tell me, thank you for the call, folks, for getting along here. So we'll just do some quick today.
Speaker 2: Paul, what else you got to do?
Speaker 1: I guess that's a good point. So all right, here's next. We have Bill. What's up? Bill?
Speaker 4: WHOA?
Speaker 2: I didn't think I was going to get on, So I'm glad you called. You know Bill, I've seen you on another show which we both know. Yeah, and I've heard you talk. I've heard you talk about the sixty nine Jets, and I was desperately trying to find you on Facebook, on Twitter whatever.
Speaker 3: To basically get out of Twitter. Oh my god, to try to tell you my book. I actually I'm waiting on your book. I purchased it. I'm waiting for them to mail it to me.
Speaker 2: Great, I got the New York I mean, see Queen's on your on your.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a Mets fan.
Speaker 2: I'm a Mets fan in addition to Jets fan.
Speaker 1: I'm both.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Flushing, literally two miles from Say Stadium, so I was, I was a fan. I still am a fan, although last night I must admit Game two I deliberately did not watch because I've been disgusted by what I've seen. But now maybe they've turned the corner. We'll see. But you live in Queens, No, I'm a Latin from Manhattan. Oh okay, great? Whereabouts? I live on the Upper west Side Oh okay, good. Yeah, my son who just got married, was on the Upper west Side on ninety second Street, and I moved to the Upper east Side street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm one of those guys that has the what is it the embarrassment of saying, well, let me see. I was eleven years old when the Mets won the sixty nine World Series, and I remember clearly car I was a Mets fan then. Unfortunately, I was not a football fan then. I was not watching any football back then, and I only heard secondhand about Joe Namath the guarantee.
Speaker 2: Have you watched that was great? Have you watched YouTube to look at the game? I have not. Well, go back and watch it. I'll tell you it is not the most fascinating football game you're ever gonna see. But watching name it in action, because I think Namath had his best game as a all around pro, as a field tactician and any throwing game and basically not trying to be a gun slinger. And the defense played very well. And there's really twist and turn in that game. You know, somebody asked me earlier, what was the turning point? Well, there was another turning point in the game. It was the first time Baltimore had the got had the ball, and they methodically marched downfield and want and watched this bill as you watch the game, and it was like it was second and ten or something. And John Elliott, who was the Jets' right defensive tackle, was such a good pass rusher, and they thought he was susceptible to the run, but he got better and better against it. But there's just one play, and you can't see it on NBC, But I had the film, the NFL film that they gave to the Jets of that game, and you can see this that I'm describing. On this play, Baltimore's right tackle, so he's not opposite John Elliott. Baltemore's right tack, the right guard, excuse me, block John Elliott. It's going to be a delay, a delay run by Tom Maddy. John Elliott throws him off to the side. Here comes the left guard who is opposite John Elliott. John Elliott basically flattens him. Here comes Hill, the full back, to block him, and John Elliott basically just says, get out of my way, and he throws him aside. And here comes Maddie and Elliott puts his arms around him and holds him to a one yard game. He threw off three blocks in about two and a half seconds. And on the next play it was third and nine and they tried running. They tried running the ball again and Philbin knocked the running back I think it was Maddie also five yards behind the line of scrimmage. Then they caused Baltimore to have to try a long field goal, which they missed, and that was the first time Baltimore had the ball. And Ralph Baker, who was a left side linebacker for the Jets, I said, what did you think because all this was happening. He said, it really bothered me. And really I wondered, you know, what's going on here? Because they were just moving everything downfield against us. We didn't seem to be able to stop them, and all of a sudden, the defense stiffened up and stopped them. And that was a big part of the game because Boltimore looked like they were gonna go downfield to score touchdown.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Anyway, I remember in seventy two watching the Jets cold game where name it it in United is Yeah, looked up and threw for about eight hundred arts combined to his.
Speaker 2: Joe Joe had six touchdowns and Uniteds had five.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And John Riggans drew in one hundred and twenty five yards rushing, and he was my favorite running back.
Speaker 2: He was amazing. Yeah, if he had stayed longer, he might be on Rushmore.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well for me, I would like to see Wesley Walker on Mount Rushmore too, But yeah, have so much space or touchdowns.
Speaker 1: The Dolphins game right, talk about dueling quarterbacks Ken O'Brien, Dan Marino, Wes walkuddies.
Speaker 2: He had the kind of speed. Nobody else in the NFL at that point had his kind of speed. Yeah, and Harold is coming out of college, so yeah, we can always hope. You know, maybe Arian Smith will will do that. All. He's a lot shorter, but.
Speaker 3: I would I think he's gonna make improvements in terms of bringing down that drop rate of his and if that happens, he's gonna become a much more dangerous receiver.
Speaker 2: For from your from your mouth to God's ear.
Speaker 3: Absolutely man, absolutely so. I'm you know, very happy to actually meet you for the first time.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 3: Embarrassed that I never got to see the Jets in their Super Bowl game then because I wasn't even a football fan. That came a little bit later. And the writer Luna is gorgeous, gorgeous so much. My granddaughter's name is Mia Luna.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Okay, see we're simpatico. Yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Well, you're talking to it. You're talking to a seven time grandfather, So I know.
Speaker 12: There you go.
Speaker 1: We're all swimming in the same pool here, which as much appreciated.
Speaker 2: Finally get great to get to meet you same here there he is.
Speaker 1: All right, we have one last call, Bob.
Speaker 7: Here we go.
Speaker 1: It's none other than your good old friend Easy in the truck. What's up? Easy?
Speaker 11: Breakfast at a place.
Speaker 1: I saw that you went through an entire journey because in the green room I could see every camera that's waiting Easy listening to the show breakfast, and then in the car having his day.
Speaker 2: I haven't had breakfast yet.
Speaker 4: Easy.
Speaker 2: What was what was on your menu this morning?
Speaker 4: I had?
Speaker 9: Well, boy, I usually give the make one or again a western omelet with rye, toast and butter and a cup of coffee.
Speaker 2: I make I make omelets, and my my wife called him smell the omelets because they smell up.
Speaker 11: Because you burn the eggs, buddy, and burn the eggs.
Speaker 2: What are we talking about today?
Speaker 11: Okay, So.
Speaker 9: I think to get Matt Snell on board. I think Woody and Chris need to go to his house with a limousine and they need to knock on his door and beg him to come out to breakfast with them and tell him and tell him I was wrong about what I said in the past. You were an integral part of Jets history and we would like to put you on the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 11: You deserve to be.
Speaker 9: Honored in front of the fans in the stadium for your contributions to the Jets. And I think if they actually do that in earnest, I think they might get him to at least go.
Speaker 4: To at least yeah.
Speaker 2: The only the only thing I like the idea. The only problem is they've already gone up with their limousine to his apartment. Oh yeah, I think I think they have to set the groundwork first. You can't just go there. You can't just go Yeah, you can't just go there and knock on the door. It's got to be set up. And and I think it's a great idea. They should take him out whatever, But you know, he's eighty three years old. Especially now, you got to make you got to let him know you're coming so he's ready, because you might be sitting there and you might be sitting there in his undies for all we know it's no I I I hope, Yeah, well I I hope.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing. I appreciate that.
Speaker 11: Double down about I want to talk about by Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 9: Go, Okay, I believe I love Revis, but I think the Mount Rushmore is more about who is the best player and who was the best him. And so that's why I give Curtis Barton the nod on that, because he was beloved that. I mean, it's one thing to be crank and all that, and Revs is crank. I don't know, but Reeves had some bad blood with some of the fans, and Curtis Martin was everything you'd ever want out of a New York Jet player as far as a fan is. He was crete, he was gracious, he was lovable, and he was a him through and through. He wanted when Parcels was going to the Jets, he told ourselves, get me, Enity, I want to learn the Jets. He wanted to be a Jet. He lives and helved and breathed and bled Jet's green. So that's the type of guy I want on my Mount Rushing one. That's my my take on that one.
Speaker 2: Everyone else I have, I have, I have Curtis up there, and uh, in fact, I think it took way too long to put him in the Hall of Fame, way too long. I mean he was he was a running back who did everything run and block and and catch the ball.
Speaker 1: What didn't he rushing two years two thousand and four. He's the oldest running back to ever lead the league in rushing. Yes, he had one thousand, six ninety seven rushing yards.
Speaker 11: He could run, he could catch, he could block. I mean he was everything you want to running back.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 11: He's just he was my favorite. I thought Curtis was the best. The next next thing we're talking about, we were ex time to listen to show people. We're talking about do you think.
Speaker 4: Made today?
Speaker 11: And my absolutely And I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Well, I lost you for a second. So I think name it? Do I think name it? And Maynard what?
Speaker 5: They would absolutely make it in the league today, because hey, you can't you can't touch the quarterback hardly unless it's a clean hit.
Speaker 8: And you can't even fall on the guy even when you I've been watching some uh some old film of.
Speaker 5: JJ with the Jets when he tackles the guy, he literally after as the guy's falling down, He puts his hands on the ground and pushes himself off the ground before the quarterback even hits the floor these days because he doesn't want to get penalized for putting his weight on the guy. So I think Nameath would have definitely been better. Plus, you cannot maul the receivers. You got five yards, then you gotta let him run. I mean you used to have players back in the day. I mean Oakland Raiders they had what Jack Tatum and and uh Leicster Lester the Molester. I mean, come on, I mean you're talking about these guys used to beat the crap out of you fifteen twenty yards downfield.
Speaker 8: I mean, this is a different game today. Well, twenty year career, he'd kicked.
Speaker 2: The AFL in its time was very strongly a passing league and that they the NFL. They wanted to be wide open because they thought that was a more exciting brand to play and it would attract viewers. And so I listen, I don't have any goat those guys would would be uh would be good today? Would they be as good as they were?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Hey, you gotta also remember the guys now are faster, bigger, stronger. I'm not saying that that that precludes name it and and the people of that era from from being really good players, But I don't know if they would have been the same. It's a different kind of league now than it was then.
Speaker 5: And well, I remember during the sack exchange, Mark Gastineau was like the third fastest player on the team. Yeah yeah, I mean you could you. I mean that's he would have made it in today's game. Probably they would put him at more of an outside linebacker in today's game in a three to four. But Gastona I think deserves a Hall of Fame considerations. If you look at his at his career numbers, he made almost as many Pro Bowls as clecoh and all that stuff and the stacks and all that. He should be in the Pro Bowl, I mean the Hall of Fame, and I hope he goes in because the man is sick and I would hate to see him get in after he's dead.
Speaker 2: He deserves You watched did you watch the ESPN special from a couple of exactly last year but it's been replayed.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 5: I loved it, and I fell in love with Mark Astina all over again, I mean when he talked about how he was molested as a kid, I mean that pretty much explains. I mean, you didn't back in that era, you didn't talk about that stuff. You had to just suck it up and live with it. And he had to live and play all those games at that high level. And that's probably why he had all these these He wanted to be loved so bad and he was trying to call attention to himself.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 5: That explains pretty much everything about Mark Astina was his youth.
Speaker 2: I think the most argument I can make for cast is I think Gastino is really the person who made the sack such a tremendous statistic and how important it was in the game. Obviously there have been sacks from the beginning, but it just wasn't played up, the fact that they weren't even keeping it as a statistic.
Speaker 1: Nineteen eighty two was the first year.
Speaker 2: You know, Paul Zimmerman, who was the Jets beat writer in the New York Post, he had in the sixty a sixty nine season he recorded unofficially because it was his numbers, right Y Alton had twenty and a half sacks, and to read that twenty years later unofficially. Why weren't they keeping that number somewhere? I mean, it's kind of silly, but they weren't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an important one. I appreciate that. Easy for the Mark Astna PU Football Hall of Fame consideration. We'll have to have that for another show, for sure, Bob, a historic show. I hope you get an idea of all the people that have wanted you back on the show. A lot of them called into the program today. That was a lot of fun. So, Bob, thank you so much for taking the time ahead of the holiday.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you. I appreciate it. I hope everybody out there has a great July fourth, and I look forward to seeing you again hopefully next week.
Speaker 1: There we go. Thanks everybody for tuning in to the four hundred people that are watching live and the people that watch and listen into the show after the fact. We appreciate it. Have a great day, and we'll