Speaker 1: Leaver Brothers, makers of lux Thought Itself, the screen star's own beauty, Soult Spry and other fine products. Bring you a Bob Hope Show. It's the Bob Hope Show with Choris Page, Jack Kirkwood, I Ring Ryan, You're truly high, have a back less brown and the band of an album, our special guest, Bing Crosby. And here he is the mascot of the Cleveland Indians, the great White Nose.
Speaker 2: Bob ho.
Speaker 1: Very much, Thank you Indians. How do you do it is? Gentlemen, This is Bob back in Hollywood on the first day of Spring Hope telling you all that the long last spring is here, the romantic season we all hold there when a young man's fancy turns to what Alvin Barkley has been thinking about all year. Yes, sir, it's great to be back in Los Angeles. Mayor Barne was at the airport to greet me. He gave me the airwork to the city at Paramount. Had a bunch of big shots waiting for my plane, but they all missed. When I arrived back, I heard three bands playing and saw fifteen giant search lights. I said, in my honor, guys that know they just opened a salami counter in the wrex Saal drug store. I've been playing in Vaunave the last three weeks and the audiences were wonderful. I won't say how they received me, but after the first show I took out insurance with Prudential. After the second show, Prudential took out insurance with Metropolitan. But I don't mind traveling. I've done a lot of flying. I don't think there's a seat on the United Airlines. I haven't been under. When we took off from New York to Steward As bellied me into my seat. I still don't know what it was that I said to her, but it was a great trip. I sort of sneaks up on you and you hate yourself for staying there. They had a one of a trip. Less Brown's boys really loved to fly. You should have seen him a driving at the airport and climbing to fifteen thousand feet and Less calling him back to wait for the plane.
Speaker 3: You know, when you.
Speaker 1: Thank you, we don't work this way for a while. You know, when you travel with a band, you find out what a great union the musicians have. Instead of an airline hostess, we had Patrillo in a tight skirt. Wes Brown is looking for a new tuba player. The old one was used to traveling by a bus and got out to stretch his legs over Syracuse and we almost lost Eddie the sax player. Over Ohio. A flying saucer went by, and he leaned out of the window and tried to drink out of it. It was so smoky inside the plane. And Negle flew along for three hundred miles looking in a window. He thought it was television. He wanted an introduction to Frankie Lane's Wild Goose. It was a real great trip, and the band treated me like I was one of them. They even let me play a game with them on the plane. Blind Man's bluff for the door open. You know, the Cleveland Indians are here in the audience the night to see the show, and it said, we certainly want to welcome them. It's nice to see you boys. You know the boys have been town for spring training. That means no drinking, no smoking, and no girls. Look at their condition. Digger Odell has been founding them with a baskets for three days. The Indians are a wealthy team. You know, they don't lay off during the winter. They run around the country yelling Pontiac, fine car. But the boys look good to me. These boys are taking off so much weight the spring training. Yesterday Budrow slid in the third and his uniform was just rounding second. But I love baseball. Where else could you find eighteen men running around in the diamond except in Olie Kahn's house. I think they'll have a big season, And this year I had a plan where Cleveland couldn't lose a single ball game. But happy Chandler is that I couldn't take a gun into the bleachers I heard of.
Speaker 3: You know, hi.
Speaker 4: I think dress up parties are so much fun.
Speaker 1: Well, there are some men always thinks formal dress is too much trouble, But then it is nice to see the ladies looking they're prettiest.
Speaker 4: You should have been at the party I went through the other night, So many lovely gowns, most of them.
Speaker 3: Off the shoulders.
Speaker 1: Well, it's an interested bystander doors.
Speaker 5: I'm for that.
Speaker 4: Women are dressing up more now for dinner, theater and dancing, So a girl should be extra grateful for the beauty care that keeps arms and shoulders looking soft and smooth.
Speaker 1: By that, you mean the so lovely screen stars like yourself depend on.
Speaker 4: Of course, I'm thinking of that new bath size Lux Tourid itself a lux soap. Beauty bath always helps you look and feel your best for a daily evening. The rich creamy lather lead skin beautifully fresh for you too, with a delicate breakers.
Speaker 1: Well, that new bath size cake please as lovely women everywhere. It makes a wonderfully relaxing, refreshing bat No wonder it's such a hit in Hollywood.
Speaker 4: It makes you sure of all over lux loveliness. That's why leaves arms and shoulders feeling smooth as l There's nothing like a.
Speaker 1: Luck so bad for a quick beauty Pippa. Busy women will welcome that tip from you, Doris. Just let me add that the new bath size Lux toilet Soelf is being featured at your store now, So if you haven't already tried this new longer lasting batcake, put it on your shopping list. Remember, nine out of ten screen stars use Lucks toilet soap.
Speaker 4: Dearie, do you remember when we stayed up all night to get Pittsburgh on a crystal.
Speaker 1: Six tea Stone Movies, Cougar and chaplain made you laugh and then cry kiss.
Speaker 3: My memory, my dearie, do you recall? And the grain defishionish.
Speaker 1: And that was the start of the friscal Quaid.
Speaker 3: Life was cheering in the.
Speaker 6: Goodle day long, ma, do you remember? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: Well? Do we young match?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: Real, Paul, he said, arcc his wedding anniversary.
Speaker 3: How are you sing?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Ma, I can't kick my age. My leg's laving to fall off.
Speaker 4: Well, you ain't as heard as your word back around nineteen ten.
Speaker 1: You're right, mal. Back in them days, I was a high flyer, hey, I said, I was a high flyer.
Speaker 4: Yes, but about five years ago one of your motors called out.
Speaker 1: Don't forget I've been bucking a headwind.
Speaker 4: Oh golly, Moses, Paul. I never thought i'd wind up marrying you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, it was a long time ago, dearie.
Speaker 6: Do you remember when.
Speaker 1: Most gents owned the Paris bats, wing collars and Derby hats. Well, I'm all set for meating the cutie one of them all to come buy this corner any minute. I think I'll take off my chicken, inspect your badge and put on that new one, says squeeze me kid, I'm a lemon. No, maybe I've better wear the other one as jazzy or it says they call me kid pepper. You can't shake me, I learned putting up the stuff. It comes a little chummy down. Now, Hi, they're chicken. Where'd you get those goo goo eyes?
Speaker 3: Go An't you the fresh one? But where have you been? All my life?
Speaker 1: Where have I been? I'm like the fat lady who took off her girdle. I've been all over the place.
Speaker 3: How much of a dandy from me? Skip the gutter?
Speaker 1: Kids? Wait a minute, come back, dag nab. But I sure wish I knew what was wrong with me and the girls? What I needed somebody to talk to, who could give me some advice. Excuse me, boy, my name is Peters Fairfax. What do you want? I noticed that chickens give you the go by, and I'm going to help you. I'm telling a perfume here that really gets the dames? Is it powerful?
Speaker 5: Horrible?
Speaker 1: You've heard of one called conflict, and then there's one name surrender, another one called I Give in. Yes, this one's called hello operator, Get the police. Will it attract women to me like a bear's attracted to honey, I use it myself. But did you get lots of girls?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: But I met a beautiful grizzly.
Speaker 5: That boy. That'll be one dollar.
Speaker 1: You got any more money, yep. Then here's something else you'll need.
Speaker 5: It's a book called What.
Speaker 1: Every young Man Should Know, Every young Man should Know? Yeah, that would be a dollar and a half.
Speaker 5: And here's another book you ought to have.
Speaker 1: It's called What Every Young Girl You'd Know? Well, why do I need that? If you're going to ask the question if you ought to know? All the answers? Well, hi, you Darry, here I am again.
Speaker 3: Say your dress pretty snappy? What's that hanging down from your straw hat?
Speaker 1: A string so I won't lose it? And I got another string running down my sleeves to my mittens, and another string running down my pant legs to my shoes.
Speaker 3: She must make you feel like a jumping chat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yester, Yeah, I took my hat to a lady and shinnied up a telephone program.
Speaker 3: Well, Robert, you might as well come in.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get toddly to night as your mother home.
Speaker 3: She's here, but I.
Speaker 4: Don't think she'll bother dollar who's that?
Speaker 3: Just hang in the front door.
Speaker 1: It's Robert.
Speaker 3: Did he bring his single in the front room? He did last time.
Speaker 4: No, he didn't bring his bicycle in the broad room.
Speaker 1: Hurry up, Dory, give me a kiss before she comes in.
Speaker 5: He did too.
Speaker 6: I can hear one of the clients.
Speaker 7: I gotta come in and see what you're up to.
Speaker 3: Oh mother, Well I want to talk to Robert.
Speaker 7: Now sing here, young man, you've been sparking with my daughter.
Speaker 3: For two years?
Speaker 1: Or what about it?
Speaker 7: Well, your prospects aren't any too good. Doris could be going to the banker, and she knows an architect. He just built a big, expensive building. What kind of a job is it that you've got in? A basically draining jelly out of yesterday's donut.
Speaker 1: I also fan the hot bread. I give loyalty tests for the Russian ride. Yes, well, look I don't I don't have much time to spend with Dorry, and I just.
Speaker 3: Well, don't you bet about me?
Speaker 1: Robert.
Speaker 7: I've decided that you're a boy you can be trusted.
Speaker 3: So the night I'm going to let you sit on.
Speaker 7: The couch with the lights turned down real low.
Speaker 1: Gee, that's swell. Do you mean it honest, Yes, And if.
Speaker 7: You behave yourself tomorrow night, I'll let Doris stay in the room with you.
Speaker 1: While we waltz to the suz event.
Speaker 6: My wasn't a music round.
Speaker 3: Shout body who sounds by show.
Speaker 4: Robert, this is the last time I'm coming to Coneana with you.
Speaker 3: You've just been sitting here in the beach ogling all the girls and babies. Suit, I have not, you have two. All aften in your eyeballs has been going in and out with the tide.
Speaker 1: Boy, these nineteen fourteen basing suits are pretty saucy.
Speaker 3: Men suits are too. Look how daring yours is. The sleeves only come down to your elbows, and I can see right through those button holes. And in your leather leggings, well.
Speaker 1: It's pretty handy in the water. The back end opens up into a lobster track. But you gotta admit you're gonna marry a he man. How do you like your hair in my chest?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Gits well, I would have had more than one, but I ran out of vigaro.
Speaker 4: Oh dep wonderful being married, Roberts, And I'm so happy for our anaversary.
Speaker 3: You gave me this model. Keith boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we like slippingto my racks and coat my beaver tails. Was like, he hap, and we'll take a joy right over to the dance. First, it'll have to be cranks. It didn't work that time. I have to try it again. I guess it needs more cranking.
Speaker 4: Now, Robert, don't you get all tired out.
Speaker 6: For the dance.
Speaker 1: I don't worry about me. Just keep cranking. Sure's some buss Huh. You never did get the sliver started that night? Did we have? Me? Or you a little rashed off? Give me a kiss?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Now, so it should be kitten is pap? It's getting so it doesn't any fun to kiss you anymore.
Speaker 5: It ain't no.
Speaker 3: The last time to clothes didn't fell off in your pucker.
Speaker 1: Course, you ain't sorry.
Speaker 6: You married me more, are you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Rob I'm been happy every.
Speaker 1: Minute aup of times.
Speaker 3: It's just been one long honey.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking the other thing.
Speaker 3: Here you are seventy eight years old, but you've got to rip the pep of an eighteen year old song.
Speaker 1: Ye, you've got the pepper of an eighteen year old boy. Yes, why I must stout for the Cleveland Indians. Remember remember hearing my job. Ladies and gentlemen, our guest tonight needs no introduction. When you hear his theme song, you all know who he is. Theme song.
Speaker 5: Please here he is being crossed the lie like a lovely tu Beware, my foolish heart, how far.
Speaker 1: We ever constant.
Speaker 5: A care, my foolish hart.
Speaker 2: There's a line between line and fascination. It's hard to see you on an evening such as it, or they both give the very same sensation.
Speaker 5: When you're low in the magic of the case.
Speaker 1: I'm much too close to my.
Speaker 5: Beware, my FOOLI cat.
Speaker 1: Much your.
Speaker 5: Or eager lit by than last the fire start.
Speaker 1: For this time.
Speaker 5: It isn't fascination or a dream. Let a pay even the call about it's lies. It's time. It's lie, my wool.
Speaker 3: I wonder pair.
Speaker 1: On the home That was My foolish Heart, sung by the sound effects man on the Gary Crosby Show. What's that well? I haven't I haven't seen you lately, Robert? How come you haven't been on to the house. I've been on tour. But tell me how are things Obert? Boys down say now that you mentioned that, I do recall reading about you at the New York Paramount. They tell me that you cut mode and stacked all the happy green stuff on Broadway. No, don't knock my racket, kit.
Speaker 5: I have to work for a living.
Speaker 1: My family doesn't support me. I must tell you, hydrogen Head, I read about you bad. I'll tell him when he all those records. You broke up in New York, Paramount, you were a smash. You must come back a loaded with Luke.
Speaker 5: How'd you be?
Speaker 1: I'm empty after taxes. I didn't even have enough left to pay my bill at the Waldorf Astoria.
Speaker 4: You did well?
Speaker 5: What did you do?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to work it off. You mean, yes, you're looking at the head flower girl for Elizabeth Taylor's wedding. I want to be the page boar the fame. You must have had a pretty rough time on March fifteenth, yourself grams. Tell me how'd you feel when you saw your income tax bill? I felt like President Truman when that boat started rock. Tell me something, though, FlexAID, where did you fla said?
Speaker 6: I'll be back.
Speaker 1: I want to look that up. Go away, we're back here. Tell me where did you assemble all the energy and the energy enough to do to six shows a day for two weeks and then you fly around the company doing one night stands.
Speaker 5: After that.
Speaker 1: Well, after all, some of us are not quite as old as some others. I couldn't mention who are much older than some of us, aren't you? You're falling apart, Dad, You're going You're going to pot Just look at that stomach?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 1: Buy him? By the carton? I'll think you've turned the conversation zekee wise. There's something about yours if it puzzles me?
Speaker 4: What is it?
Speaker 1: Are those your hips? Or are you carrying a lovely a bunch of coconuts? Xcading product?
Speaker 4: You have?
Speaker 1: You're getting ready for the pladium? Should we stop these tiron capers? You know you're pretty uh, you're pretty frisky tonight?
Speaker 6: Dad?
Speaker 1: What happened? Did you stop off a thrifties for a double lyddy of Pinkham. I'll move on to a customer too strong? Anything exciting happened while I was away? Exciting one. My new picture just came out. I know I saw it. And there's one thing I'm curious about.
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 1: Wasn't that an unusual name? They gave you? Francis se hair see hair sag mob Francis, is that picture about the talking mule? Oh, I'm sorry, the ears fooled me. I apologize. I apologize to Francis. Actually, Fred, I haven't been around Paramount too much myself lately. After I finished Riding High, which incidentally has its world premiere April first, to Front Royal Virginia at the time, where or we're not going.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 1: After I finished that picture, dot Steven's hit me with that ship, I did really say incidental. He was very nice for you to pay me.
Speaker 5: The visit in the hospital.
Speaker 1: I appreciate we had laughs that dated and I'll never forget it if I live to be one hundred again. But really, I'm glad your operation went okay and they got through your money belt that I really have seven Layer Last still has the big bill go ahead. I'm very much fine, just fine. Of course, I did have a bit of trouble when they first wheeled me into the hospital. What do you mean, Well, the nurses saw the name caused being automatically they rushed me to the maternity ward. Well, I'll never forget that. Afternoon I came to visitor, Oh, pardon me, nurse, my name is Bob Hope.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, plastic surgery is right down the hall.
Speaker 1: Mean too late. Stop pushing me, nurse, stop pushing. I'm here on a visit. I'd like to see Bing Crosbie.
Speaker 3: Crosbie, what does he look like.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got a light complexion, blue eyes. What color is his hair?
Speaker 5: Skin?
Speaker 1: I'm sure you know he's the crooner.
Speaker 3: Do you find him in room seventeen? It's down the hall.
Speaker 1: Oh, fans, here's being room. I'll go right in nine seven hundred one, nine thousand being put away your wallet. Playtime is over. You've got a visitor. Boy, did I have a tough time finding you? You you hadn't appened up to me. Huh, Well, what are you doing here in the tonsil war? It's very simple. I had my appendix transcribed to release of a more convenient clay. That's my boy put his honeymoon on tape so it wouldn't interfere with the fishing.
Speaker 5: Sis.
Speaker 1: Bing, I never believe you just had an operation. You look like a million who showed you the bill? Well you look great, boy. Tell me what did you do with your appendix? Well, you know Everett had his appendix taken out at the same time. What does that mean, well, now you know what you're gonna get next Christmas. You mean when your cap bucking me with a friendchise, But you brought me a gift, Robert. You shouldn't have dropt me this. I had to, after all, your such a big package. Wheel it in. Oh, I can't wait to open this. I'm gonna unwrap it right now. To sound like Burl. Yes, it's not like Burl's mother. We let that word bring in my package for him. You gonna unwrap it right now, right hold on all your life.
Speaker 5: Oh well, just what I needed?
Speaker 1: A new golf tea. Well, don't look so disappointed. It's not just an ordinary tea. It's the one they stand Mickey Rooney on during his love scene. Wow, you don't look too comfortable. Plat Can I do anything for you? Oh? Yeah, I wonder if you could help me sit up.
Speaker 5: And crank up the bed.
Speaker 1: I'm oh sure, there you are. Now I'll crank up the bed. How did the operation Why? Everything went fine until I needed to transfusion. I had a little trouble in because they could only find one guy in town with my type of blood. Well, who wasn't Frank sor not bud well, how did it work?
Speaker 5: How it was murdered?
Speaker 1: It was awful when they hooked us up together. Frankie's vain sucked two quartz out of mind. I was at he laid down, I got up my home. That must be solid acid. Think how about it. I've been here five minutes and you haven't shown me your operation yet. Come on, kid, I'm vague. Come on, you're wrinkling my ninety Come on whole step, let me see there. Whoa what's the matter our guyle stitcher?
Speaker 3: I didn't want to look.
Speaker 1: Like a trap in my bare midress bathing, but I want to thank you again for coming to see me. Bob. I only wish you'd told me you were gonna be here? What what simple churm?
Speaker 5: If I knew you were coming out of Baby did Ka baked the cake baked kay k? If I knew you were coming out of Big Kate, how'd you do?
Speaker 1: How'd you do?
Speaker 5: How'd you do? Had you drop me a letter? The band branded band that I I'm allowed had to drop you?
Speaker 1: Allowed for you to hire the bank let's brown band, Let's pread the welcome out for you? And I don't know where you came from because I don't know where you've been.
Speaker 5: That's real nice.
Speaker 1: Well, look young man with a horn. I want to tell you it was nice you to come to see me, and I want to thank you for that gift that you sent me before my operation or it was nothing. What am I supposed to do with a pink satin bed jacket? Well, my sister wore and she had a baby girl. I thought maybe to bring you the same watch find you you were come hide to take the cage?
Speaker 2: I bad, good, goodness safe if I knew you were comb the baby kid?
Speaker 1: How'd you do?
Speaker 5: How to do?
Speaker 1: How to do?
Speaker 5: But I'm never.
Speaker 1: Of this month. That's set aside thanks to Bing Crosby, the Pittsburgh Pirates Musical Rookie of the Year the year fourteen ninety two. As usual, large you batt of one thousand percent Tonight, ladies and gentlemen. We had a thrilling week flying in out of the airline style on. On the way back home from the New York Paramount. We did shows in Syracuse, Cincinnata, Owens Brush, Saint Louis, Kansas City, and Denver with that wonderful DC six and brother, what warm hearted people and what cold hearted weather. Believe me, I've never seen so much snow. We flew to Kansas City, but it was snowing so hard, but our pilot couldn't find it with a Geiger counter. Mister ed Keasey and Claire Jarvis and Sam Moore up there, so we landed in the lath of Kansas and the Navy field, and the Navy took care of us. Thanks to your folks. In the later last night we did the show them Beautiful Denver, and I really mean beautiful, and all that snow looked like an old fashioned Christmas card. Tomorrow would be in Palm Springs, California for Circus Week, and the weather forecast is clear. In Sunday, the temperature in the nineties, what a grewsome thought. Thanks again for the place that of meaning some of you in person. Good luck to the Cleveland Indians, and good night, ladies and gentlemen.