Speaker 1: This is WBZY, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We defining local news six o'clock and welcome aboard the fry yay train Here in Boston. We are waking up under cloudy skies. This won't last though. It is sixty four degrees, very warm, and pretty sticky. This morning The News at six brought to us by You're New England Toyota Dealer, your hybrid all wheel drive headquarters. Thanks for being with us this Friday morning. I'm Jeff Brown, and yeah, things are starting to look up.
Speaker 3: A writer and dryer and warmer day. Today is low clouds and fog give way to some sunshine at is WBZ Acky weather meteorologist Joe Lundberg. Very muggy though today and right through tomorrow. Some rain is expected tomorrow afternoon. Time for the beach baby. Starting today, the state's water quality Dashboard will be up and running. The Department of Public Health updates conditions at dozens of public beaches every day and sometimes several times a day, to determine which one might be off limits due to algae blooms or other conditions which can cause you to keep your fun in the sand and away from the waves. It's time to go to bed. TikTok says, so.
Speaker 1: TikTok wants to help users wind down and relax. That's why it's rolling out of feature that after ten pm automatically guides those younger than eighteen to meditation exercises. It also pushes alerts encouraging users to go to bed. Ophelia from Cambridge thinks it's a great idea because.
Speaker 4: It's too much stimulation Chris for little kids, especially being on online. So I think that's a really good thing for them to just decompress before bed.
Speaker 1: John over here has some recommendations to help kids disconnect.
Speaker 2: Read a book, live in the moment. Just be present, John, I from Boston to read from flying back to Alaska right now Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good way to connect. Also, the meditation feature will also be available for adults by switching to the sleep hour setting. James Rojas WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: The SS red Sox come back to Fenway Park to they'll open a weekend series with the Atlanta Braves. The New City connect Monster green colored uniforms will make their debut tonight, and it's opening day for the WNBA's regular season. The Connecticut Sun however, will open on Sunday, and it's a big night for the Celtics. It's another must win Game six in the NBA's Eastern Conference Final against the Knicks. WBC's Drew moholland is here holding out any hope. I got a little hope. I think this is looking good. I actually think this is looking I might not.
Speaker 5: Put it in the good category, but I'm gonna I'm keeping the faith. But I do have one question for you, Jeffrey, and.
Speaker 4: To ask yourself one question.
Speaker 6: Do I feel lucky?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: To me?
Speaker 1: You hope?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: All right? So by the numbers here, jeff Right, the Celtics they've actually come back from three to one series deficits twice nineteen sixty eight, some of you might remember that out there, all right, and then again in nineteen eighty one. So there's been like thirteen teams in the NBA who have come back from three one.
Speaker 2: Series that the Celtics or two of them.
Speaker 5: And they're two of them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And actually the Dallas Mavericks did it twice during the COVID season in twenty when they were in the bubble. Yep, they did it twice at the same playoff runs so there's that. And if you're wondering, you know, you want to put a little wager or something on this. If you bet one hundred dollars on the Celtics to win the series, it means two games. They're gonna win two games. They're at plus two twenty seven. So one hundred dollars wins you two hundred and twenty in the Celtics.
Speaker 2: That's so you're telling me, yeah, there's the check.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Drew. I don't mean to add to your honeydeo list this weekend, but you might want to think about popping the AC's in the window. It's very muggy this morning in Boston. We do have that Florida feel out the door sixty four in the city right now. We've got a thick blanket of clouds and some thick, patchy fog in areas this morning, both of which will burn off. We will see some increasing amounts of sunshine later on today. Temperatures are going to be very close to eighty degrees and inland locations load to mid seventies even along the waterfront today and will be very humid as well. Cloudy overnight tonight, and a couple of spotty showers through the area. Lose once again in the sixties. Tomorrow is not a washout, but at the same time, we need to keep at least one eye to the sky, especially later in the afternoon when a line of potentially severe thunderstorms rolls through. It looks like we will see some sunshine along the way tomorrow and high temperatures will be in the low to mid seventies. Looks like it's a slightly calmer day to rind up the weekend on Sunday, with the mixture of sun and clouds, breezy conditions, and the possibility of a shower again. High temperatures in the seventies. Right now, it's already sixty four but cloudy skies in Boston six oh six this Friday morning. A closer look at deadly injuries at the Karen Reid trial.
Speaker 6: So on his right eyelet there was a small laceration. I also observed abrasions on the anterior and the left aspect of the nose.
Speaker 2: The medical examiner explains her autopsy results of John O'Keefe. The pictures not easy to see.
Speaker 4: Judge Beverly connote set the tone early for what would be a difficult day for the jury looking at graphic photos from the autopsy on the body of John O'Keefe, photos so graphic that at one point the judge called a recess at the request of a juror. The medical exabitor who conducted the autopsy testified she concluded O'Keeffe died from blunt impact injuries to the head in hypothermia, but the doctor could not determine how those injuries were sustained. At the courthouse and debt of Mike Macklin WVZ Boston's news radio, where there's.
Speaker 2: Smoke, there might be fire, The La County Sheriff's office opens a criminal investigation into legendary Motown singer Smokey Robinson after several women come forward with allegations of sexual assault, all of them former employees, who want fifty million dollars in damages in a civil lawsuit. They claim Robinson attacked them when his wife was out of the house. Lawyers for Robinson deny the allegations. Officials with the Sheriff's departments say the civil claims by the four Jane Does is enough to warrant their investigation, which is in the early stages, and no further details are being released. New clues this morning about the mysterious impact of the condition known as long COVID.
Speaker 7: Doctors say they're getting closer to understanding the brain fog many long COVID patients experience. A study by Corwell Health found people who experience brain fog have more inflammation in their brain than other patients. Up until now, doctors have had challenges understanding why some patients develop brain fog and others don't.
Speaker 2: CBS's Michael George. Some twenty million Americans have been diagnosed with the condition long COVID. Meantime, US health officials are about to release some guidelines that might put some severe restrictions on this fall's anticipated COVID vaccine, if one is available at all. Officials say they want a streamline and simplify what they call a complicated FDA approval system, with the potential recommendation that only those with chronic conditions be advise to get the shot in the coming months. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Jeff Brown, WBZ Boston's News radio