Speaker 1: When you make decisions for your company, you always look for the no brainers, and if you have a lot of MAILI and shipping to do, stamps dot Com is the ultimate no brainer. It streamlines your process to make your business more efficient, which makes you less busy. Mail checks, invoices, legal documents, books, and everything you need to keep your business running. With stamps dot com, seamlessly connect with every major marketplace and shopping card if you sell online, schedule package pickups through the dashboard, and automatically see your cheapest and fastest shipping options from different carriers with rates up to eighty nine percent off USPS and UPS rates. And with the stamps dot Com mobile app, you can take care of mailing and shipping wherever you are, even on the go. Make the same no brainer decision as over one million other business decision makers with stamps dot Com. Sign up at stamps dot Com with Code Program for a special offer that includes a four week trial plus free postage and a free digital scale, no long term commitments or contracts. That's Stamps dot Com Code Program.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten Lucky.
Speaker 3: Lucky in Line at the Delhi. I guess ah in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually, do I have to say yes?
Speaker 3: You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 3: I never win?
Speaker 5: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 2: You could get lucky anywhere playing at Lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 5: Play for free right now.
Speaker 2: Are you feeling lucky? No, we're not necessary boid Low eighteen plus terms and conditions, plus onsa details.
Speaker 3: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 2: Sorry?
Speaker 1: Sorry, we're here. We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 2: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered. But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus terms and conditions. See website for details. With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking, We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table upright, and start getting lucky y for.
Speaker 3: Free at lucky landslopes dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 5: Oh Radio, you are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker, Dck. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most talking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening the Peernox cast the impression of being a very well to do and content family even after the separation of Richard and his wife. But madness was contained inside this house, and one night Richard Piernoch came to kill his wife and daughter, brutally beating them, force feeding them alcohol, and placing them together in a car which he let drive into a wall so that it would seem like a drunk driving accident. What Richard Piernock didn't foresee was his daughter's survival and her willingness for the first time to describe in detail her father's psychosis and his manipulative personality. What's a success once, I say a successful whistleblower? Pearnock denied his involvement in the murder, claiming a conspiracy against him on all levels, confounding the justice system, hiring and firing lawyers representing himself, saying everyone was against him. After numerous tense trials, Peernock was finally sentenced to life in prison, though those close to him still live in fear. The book that we're featuring this evening is a checklist for Murder with my special guests, journalist and author Anthony Flacco. Welcome to the program, and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Anthony Flacco, Thank you, Dan, it's very nice to be here. Glad you could make it. Finally we have you on the program. And let's first talk about that this book when it first came out, and then after when you told us when this book first came out, Can you tell us how you came to be the author of this what drew you to this case?
Speaker 4: And I published this book. Sorry. I published this book originally twenty years ago through Dell Books, and it was very well received and sold a lot of copies, and I sold a screenplay version of it to NBC Films, And the book was just sort of cooking along until it got to the twenty year anniversary. And I've done other books in the time since that had done well. So published your contacted me and wanted to buy out the rights and reissue it again, which they've done, and that's Diversion Books who brought out this new version. And I've written a new afterward which sort of catches everybody up with what's been going on since this case was resolved.
Speaker 6: Great, now, let's unlike the book where you started at a different point. Let's talk about Robert Pirnack before we get to the story itself. Very much unlike the book, but let's talk about his his background. You talk about him being in an engineer and at the Department of Water Resources, so this is where a lot of this begins. So tell us a little bit Robert his background.
Speaker 4: Well, he was sort of the original nerd early in his career, and he did well with computers and technical things in engineering type jobs. He had worked for a while with a special effects company in Hollywood, rigging things to blow up, and this is where he got his expertise with explosives, with fuses and the timers of all kinds, whether they're advanced or whether they're crude and homemade. He then went to work using his computer knowledge for the Department of Water Resources in California and did well there on the technical level for a number of years. But as he aged into his thirties, he just began developing these personality traits that caught friction with everybody he was around. It seemed impossible to stay on good terms with the He was perpetually angry or offended or injured and seeking redress. He became a kind of guy who constantly files complaints on his coworkers and supervisors, and then over the last few years before the crimes broke out, he started doing his own jailhouse lawyer lawsuits against people inside the Department of Water Resources as well as other private companies he would come across in his private life and amassing all this money from nuisance suits where he'd win a few grand here and a few grand there to just go away, and he started compiling this money. By the time the crimes finally broke out at the end of the eighties, he had over a quarter of a million dollars liquid in the bank, as well as a number of real estate properties, and virtually everything he had accumulated had come through ill will and his tendency to sue everything that moves, and that was before the crime started.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about that there was some merit that at least his argument before it seems that he becomes more deluded, and you talk about illusion and delusion and the fine line, and you talk about the lawsuits, but talk about his wife, Claire and their relationship and what was her role during this whole time. Was she supportive in the lawsuits and was she behind her husband initially? And talk about their relationship that they were.
Speaker 4: You hit a good point with the illusion and delusion phenomenon in Prenock's life because right some of his suits, particularly his original lawsuits, I think he did find some corruption and bid rigging in terms of the awarding of state contracts to various contractors and vendors, and he was complaining about that. But once he got the taste of making quick and easy money by being righteously offended and reporting things, that's when he began to see problems everywhere. And as he got more and more lawsuits going, and he had dozens of these things, he started in his mind to group all of the people that were against him in these lawsuits against him as if they were a single force, as if they were some kind of army of conspirators, and really it was just a collection of defendants that he had slapped with private lawsuits. But it became in his mind, me against the world, to kind of mentality. And I've always thought this is Peirnock was the last kind of person whoever should have gotten into using civil law to create social change because of his tendency to personalize things and personalize his anger, which he did, and to create monsters of people who were really just civil defendants. But he did, and he didn't seem to have any ability to back off or moderate the level of his response. Thing was always fought as though you know, life itself depends on it. Even if he wants somebody to just fix the stairway outside their building because it made him trip and fall, you know, And so the drama, the internal drama kept building up inside of him. Now his wife, who originally was quite a demure and supportive woman, it would have naturally taken her husband's part if he's trying to get some to right some wrongs using his legal expertise. But as his companion, she also began to see he was farther and farther from reality, developing more and more problems and feuds with more and more people and organizations, and she just became exhausted by it. At the end, she had completely dropped out of all of his civil work, didn't even want to hear about it anymore, and it all went on just strictly on his own. In the background. He had a big office in the house that he had crammed with files, and that just sort of became the thing that Robert does. Robert goes back to the office anytime at work and pumps his lawsuits. So she just wanted out. Unfortunately, by the time the crimes began, his own illness had proceeded far enough that he now thought she was a part of this great group of people that are against him. And out to get him, and that somehow they had gotten to his wife Claire and were using her as an agent against him, sort of having her eyes and ears inside his home. And when he decided that was the case for whatever reasons, of course it was false, that's when he began planning his murder attacks, which the planning went on for months.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about Natasha, his daughter, and you talk about the relationship changing as well as the relationship with Claire and her husband Robert, but also the relationship with Natasha and her father. So tell us about this change and what it initially started at and what had sort of ended up as a relationship previous to these murders.
Speaker 4: Of Well, this is something we just we want so much for kids not to get caught up in and just they do again and again and again in the beginning, and I have the photos to prove it in the book. She was daddy's little girl. She was the sweet little child, and he carried her around his shoulders everywhere. I've got a picture of her as a ten year old girl at her confirmation. They were Catholics. They would just break your heart. She's such a little beauty. But what happened once she began to develop as a person and to develop her own personality and opinions and started saying no to Daddy. Then she joined the enemy because he could no longer control her. The only way to have peace with Robert Peirnack is to accept his control over you. And then from the age of I don't know, around ten or so, began this process of alienation to the time by the time the crimes hit when she was seventeen, they were completely estranged. And she told me that by the time she was thirteen or fourteen, she already used the word evil in thinking of her father. She wasn't saying that to call him names or be mad at Daddy. She was as a Catholic person expressing in her opinion, what's the darkest thing a person can possibly be, which is evil where you expect nothing good from you, expect only trouble and tragedy from them, and it's terrible. But she got that one spot on. I mean, she was Sigmund Freud in understanding that her father, no matter how good an image he could put up for people, or for some reporter or for some camera, she understood all that was just crap that what she had was a demon in her house, an evil person. By demon, I don't mean in a religious term, I just mean somebody whose humanity is so twisted in perverse you can no longer expect fair human reactions out of them. And so she essentially from the time she was sixteen or so, barely even went home except when she had to. She had a list of friends that she could spend the night with girlfriends, and she tended to hang with them just for the point of avoiding her father.
Speaker 6: Now there is evil that you talk about as emanates in beatings. So Natasha from a young age gets to see her father beat her. But you also include a very dramatic example of what goes on in this home when you talk about the twenty one days in traction and what Natasha was forced to do and what she did do to cover up this crime or prevent her father from having any contact with police over this tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Well, she was still a young girl when she said something that pissed off Daddy and a note she got between Dad when he was going after mom, and for her trouble, she was picked up and thrown against the wall. And it dislocated her arm, broke her shoulder, and they then had to go to church and everywhere else and say that she had fallen so as not to cause, of course trouble with police, and not to embarrass the family and humiliate everybody, mom and everybody else. And so she did and kept up the story for years until finally it all broke with the crimes. In fact, during the trial, the defense attorney tried to make something out of that, but because she had been forced to lie about her own broken arm, this meant that maybe she was lying in her testimony, and the jurorsis kind of laughed that one off, because I think they understood that she was a helpless girl. What was she going to do if she didn't make dead happy. She already knew what he did when he's not happy, and now if you want him to be happy, you'd better tell this lie that he has. So she told it.
Speaker 6: Now. Robert is living with a woman named Sonya Siegel, and she has her own place, and he has a strange, real reationship with Claire that he's over at the house occasionally. So you can tell us about that, but also tell us about the agreement that they have that he talks Claire into to delay the divorce, and okay, on the premise of tell us explain that, because that's a very important thing that we'll say.
Speaker 4: Okay, well that's it's really two questions. Let me get to Sonya first, who was really she was just a young divorcee still still young, forty two or so, who just wanted to have a good man in her life. And Pearanock has the ability to project being a good man. Sonia thought this was a guy whose wife had thrown him out, and she took him in to her condo, and she thought they were in love and they were going to be married. So she was working that angle of the street, having no idea of this second life. Pear Knock entertained whereby he would, even though he lived at her house, he would drop by the family home whenever he wanted and stay as long as he wanted, kind of start fights, caused trouble, whip everything up, and then leave and go over to Sonya's. Again, this is the condition things were in when the crimes finally broke out. Now, when you mentioned this agreement, what had happened was Claire, oh of almost a year before the crimes, knowing that the divorce was just inevitable, had sought out a divorce attorney, a female who her name was Victoria doomm It was a great name for an attorney who would eventually come up against Robert Pirnock too, But at the time all she did was consult with her about a divorce and Victoria said, okay, I'll get the papers ready. But before they got the papers ready to go, Sonia called and said, no, hold off on that. Robert has an agreement he wants to be to sign, and if I do, he'll agreeed to all these other demands that I have for the next six months. And so she brought a copy over to Victoria to look at, and thank goodness she did, because that became a key piece of element of evidence. What happened was by filing the divorce. By telling the husband she was going to file divorce, it caught him off guard with regard to protecting all these assets he'd put together, and he wasn't about to split that with her. So he came up with an agreement whereby in the agreement's kind of heartbreaking too, he agrees not to hit her, not to beat Natasha I mean, all these just basic human things nobody should ever have to get anybody to agree to. But they do, and they list it and they sign it for a period of months, and he says, if she'll just hold off on the divorce for those six months, why then he'll go ahead and include her in some of these businesses and things that would be contested in the divorce. That's her motive for doing the agreement. She'll get a better financial settlement and she only has to wait another six months. But what happens is he immediately begins planning to kill her before that six months is up, because he knows once a divorce action starts, he can't kill her, he'll be the first one arrested. So he tries to use this time barrier that he'd put in this padding of six months to give him time to plan. Later, it was found he started making checklists on things to do and things to find and places to go regarding this murder almost immediately when they got that agreement signed.
Speaker 6: Now, let's talk about Natasha's friend Patricia. Okay, well we can get to the day in question here, but okay, well, well maybe I'm jumping ahead a little bit let's talk about Natasha and the day she finds herself again with her father and how what she normally would have done under these kinds of circumstances Like you had mentioned. He comes in ranting and raving and causing trouble and he's allowed to do that. They have some kind of situation where he's continually doing that. She's accustomed to that, Natasha tries to avoid it. So tell us what happens on the day question with this same kind of situation that she seems to have seen before.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, she had been out with her her best friend, Patricia Patty, and they she'd come home. Patty dropped her off with her car because Natasha's had a flat or something and she wasn't driving it, and Natasha had some chores. She was supposed to go home. She was supposed to move the lawn and do some laundry, and so she was going to do all that and shower and change clothes, and then Patty would come back at the end of the afternoon pick her up and they were going to go out dancing for the evening together. So Patty drops her off. She sees Robert Pearlock's car in the driveway, and Patty gets a bad feeling and says, Natasha, you want me to come inside with you? I mean, I know it's not safe in there with your old man in there. Natasha goes, no, no, maybe he'll just turn around and go home late in the day anyhow, So Patty drops her off and she goes on inside. Now Robert Pearlock's story is he had gone to the house to go out to the backyard to repaint some bookshelves that were there for whatever reason, but what he had actually done was to set his plot in motion. Once Natasha came into the house, he began berating her for using too much electricity, and as Natasha says, it didn't matter why he would start the argument that the point was always just to give himself a reason to get angry and lose his temper, which he did, And her mistake was she said something wise ass back to him. He was complaining that she left lights on, but then he walked away and left the TV on the rooms, and she called and says, oh, I guess you don't really care about the electricity, do you, And that launched him. He came flying across the room and tackled her and knocked her to the floor, choked her nearly to unconsciousness, then whipped out a hood he'd pulled from somewhere with a rope on the bottom, and tied it around her neck, completely covered her eyes and just had one little hole for the mouth. And then he tied her hands behind her and her feet, carried her into her mother's bedroom, through on the bed, and left her there. And all this time she's supposedly getting ready. How far do you want me to go with the story?
Speaker 6: Don't go ahead?
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, Patty did come back, and she knocked on the door. Nobody answers. And she went around and knocked on the window Natasha's window. Nobody answers. And she knows this is very strange. Robert Pear Knox's car is still in the driveway. Natasha's undrivable car is still sitting there. No one else has arrived, but no one's answering the door. She knocks hard too. Now the house is not that big. You knock hard on the front door, anybody anywhere on the premises hears you. But nothing happens. As it happened because she'd spent the night there a number of times with Natasha. She knew that the window next to the door there was a way you could jimmy it and get in, and they used to do that to sneak in if they came in late at night. So she started to jimmy the window and was just about to crawl inside, and she got this really cold feeling and said, whoops, no, I'm not going to do that, puts the window back, gets in her car and drives away. Now for a long time after that, she's going to be angry at herself for driving away and not doing something. But even if she'd called the police, she didn't have a complaint to make other than the fact that somebody isn't answering their door, so she let it go. But inside Natasha was lying on the bed, unable to call out to her because her father had pulled out a six gun a revolver, held it up in front so that she could hear him, put one bullet in, spun the chamber, and told her if she made a sound, he'd pull the trigger. So she didn't make a sound, and Patty did drive away, but that didn't stop him. He went on and played the Russian roulette game with her over and over and over again for a long time, and she was helpless there and couldn't do anything. This supposedly had something to do in his mind with the fact that she and her mother were somehow against him, with all the people that he was fighting with in the state government. Now, that was where his mind left any semblance of logic and went into full blown crazy that he could make such connections and actually not only believe them, but believe them to the point that he would kill behind those connections. And it was all It's a picture of a madman's mind. But that's all it is.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about the we mentioned in the opening about the force fed a combination of alcohol. How does he do this? He's not just pouring it down her throat? So how does he do this? And yeah, so tell us what happens there? And also what does Natasha seem to hear and her limited ability to hear much or obviously with the hood overhead, not to see anything. Well, what does she think she hears in the commotion, in the events that are going on while she's laying on this other room.
Speaker 4: Well, the alcohol and the drugs were introduced by the small hole by the mouth, and the hood that was tied on her head was put there for the purpose of doing this, and he had a plastic tube, surgical tube he forced through the hole into her mouth and he would pour the alcohol into the tube and she either had to swallow it or cough it back up into the hood and choke on it. So she swallowed it. He gave her some pills. I don't know what they were. They never identified the substance, but it was some kind of a downer an opioid, and forced her to swallow and that he was just able to do by putting it in her mouth, putting the gun to her head and telling her to swallow, and giving her alcohol to swallow it with. And this of course eventually wound up knocking her out. When she came to, which was some hours later, and the light had changed it was getting dark. This was in middle of July and so the days are long. She just in time to hear that her mother had come home from work. She heard the front door open and didn't hear anything else until suddenly their two dogs out in the backyard began barking hysterically the way they never do that they were trained not to do. But those dogs were looking at glass French doors which looked directly into the house, directly into the living room where the front door opened, so the dogs could see what was happening in there. All Natasha heard was at some point the huge sound of a body hitting the floor, sort of the way she had just been tackled, But she never heard him say anything, and her mother never got the time to scream or call out. The next contact she had with her mother came hours later, when her father came in long after dark, was one or two in the morning, and carried her out to his big old gunboat Cadillac car and put her in the back seat, still with the hood on her head, still bound and gagged, and lay her next to a body which she knew was her mom. She knew by the feel and the smell it was her mom. She heard her mother breathing, but her mom made no sounds or didn't speak, and so we all assumed she was still unconscious or whatever he had done to her, and in that position. Then she took the death ride out to the location he'd selected to use for killing them.
Speaker 6: Now was there anything else he did, because we mentioned in the opening, but We didn't mention anything about gasoline. Was there any mention of an accelerant here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, Natasha's going in and out of consciousness during the ride to the murder scene. It's about fifteen twenty minutes from the house out in the San Fernando Valley, a little town called San Fernando, and this is an industrial area, lots of open space, light industry type factories, railroad tracks running through, and highway intersections. That kind of a location. You can do a lot of mischief in the dark out there most nights, and people won't see you. He selected a spot underneath the highway overpass on a section of road that ran about one hundred yards or so straight down to a tee intersection, and at that tea was a flat concrete wall. So while he was under the overpass, and of course the noise of traffic drowning out whatever he was doing, he rigged the linkage of the engine so that he could jam the accelerator. Put Ma mclaire in the driver's seat and using a piece of rope, tied her body upright to the wheel. Then placed Natasha in the passenger seat next to her. Poured alcohol from a booze bottle all over them and threw the bottle in the passenger's foot well, and this is a full quart of bourbon, and then covered both bodies with gasoline. The bottom of the car he had rigged with a fixed steel bar that he had bent and cut and attached with the point almost touching the gas tank, so that if the car at high speed collided with something, it would drive that point into the gas tank and spew that fuel everywhere around the cutter bar. He had dangled a piece of rope and lit it. In fact, it was still smoldering when cops found it sometime later. He then, with the linkage rig so that he could jam the accelerator, pointed the car down the road toward that t intersection. At this point, it's around three or four in the morning, nobody's out there. Lets the car go, and it speeds down the road toward the intersection. He even we found tables that he had worked down where he rigged out how much the car would accelerate, how many yards it needed to hit a terminal speed, and he had worked that out. The one thing he didn't do was count on the car rolling off the road and not going straight. He had even checked the steering on the car to make sure that it was straight, but he forgot that a rain hill in a road is the center of the road being slightly higher than the right and left side, so that rain naturally runs off the road. Well, that creates a very slight angle, which we don't see when we look at it, but it's there and it affects trajectory. It affected the car just enough to make it drift to the right and then hit a huge wooden telephone pole that was right off the road. The car was already going fast enough it hit with so much force it snapped that pole off excuse me, just above ground level. But it still wasn't fast enough. It had about another fifty yards to go. It wasn't fast enough to drive that cutter bar into the gas tank. If it had, of course, that would have exploded. The fireball would have then caught the women who were soaked and gasoline inside the car, and all of the evidence would have gone up in smoke. But because the car hit that pole before it reached its terminal velocity, the explosion he had rigged out didn't take place. I mentioned in the book an alternate theory I have that I can't prove, but I like. And he did this strange thing of tying her upright to the wheel. I'm not spoke sure what that was supposed to do, because of course, even if they had hit the wall, they'd have been so jostled around and burned up. No one would have known if she was at the wheel or not. Anyway, but he did part of his madness needed to take to put that little twist on his acts. And because of that, if her body slumped to the right side toward her daughter while they're making that death ride down there, that would pull the car off the road and into the telephone pole. If Claire had any consciousness or awareness left to her then, and the corner felt sure she was alive when the car was started, or on the brink of being alive, then she pulled the car off the road and saved her daughter. Mount she had sustained such massive brain trauma, it's not unreasonable to say she couldn't have been alive or conscious at that point, in which case just the weight of her body did it, and it was physics at work. But in either case, this is what saved Natasha, the daughter. They had both been beaten badly with a tire iron about the head, but because Claire was unconscious when she received her beating, the blows all fell about the same place on her forehead crashed in her skull. But her daughter, who was not fully conscious but alive when she was being tire ironed, was able to instinctively just thrash her head back and forth side to side. This distributed the force of the blows that she took the head enough so that her skull didn't cave in and her brain wasn't penetrated. That's why she was beaten and unconscious but still alive when the car took off on its way, and she even survived then the impact the wreck itself, and then her body lay there in the car in that raw gasoline for quite a while before she was eventually found to pull out. There was a lot of damage done to her skin just by the gasoline itself.
Speaker 6: Now was how would they found and who brought her to the hospital and then tell us about the follow up. What happens as soon as she gets the you know, soon after getting to the hospital, what condition is she in at that time?
Speaker 4: Well, from the time they pick her up she's in this kind of delirium, and the EMTs arrived at this around four to thirty in the morning. Some guy who was passing by, just out late at night saw the car and called the police, and ambulances show up and the fire department comes. They see the car has been rigged to explode, so they spray it down make sure it won't go off, and of course call homicide and investigators then, who are soon after that right on the scene, and Natasha is taken away by ambulance. They try to get her to respond her name, but you know, she's just delirious and what's coming out of her is not good information. At one point she gave her name as Patty because she was just that, you know, she'd taken blows to the head. Once they're in the hospital, after some hours, she begins coming out of it and they're able to converse with her in the most basic way. And the first thing she starts trying to say to them is my father, my father, But because she's delirious and can't really elaborate on that, and because their father's nowhere around the wreck, she thought that the doctor rather thought that she was concerned where's my dad, you know, is he hurt and didn't realize she's going, where's my dad? He's not done killing me yet, So they didn't do anything to protect her at first, other than to take medical care. And in the meantime, Robert Pearnock himself was trying frantically to figure out a way to get into the hospital, pacing around outside in the parking lot, but there was a cop on the door. Soon after, when the homicide investigator, Steve Fisk shows up and asked her just a few questions right away. He knows this whole thing is terrible, and he's got to find Robert Pearanack, her father, because she is now the only thing that can convict him. She's the only witness, and that means not only the police need to protect her, but Pearanock needs to get rid of her right away. So at that point they put a twenty four.
Speaker 5: Okay brown two name something that's not boring, laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 2: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumba casino to chum.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: Chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and playing for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes chum chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: Plus the webtails for our armed guard on her and then to assure her safety and Patty, her friend, came and brought her pajamas and stayed with her and refused to leave the room. She was sleep on the floor by the bed to try to give her some sense of having a backup, because of course she was an instant orphan by all of this. Her mother was murdered and her father was a maniac, and it was just her. Their family itself was basically from Quebec up in Canada, but they were not and they weren't people she could turn to. She didn't even speak their language. So she was instantly in one tough situation. But at least she did have a friend, Patty there, who did the best she could stand up for her.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about what happens with Steve Fisk detective and with Sonya Siegel once they get word at where he lives and they get so what do they do? How do they proceed with Robert's girlfriend Sonya Siegel.
Speaker 4: Well, at this point, shortly after the crime, Sonya is still bought into Robert Pearnock's explanation of being up against a cabal of conspirators who work for the state government who want to get rid of him. He claims that he's about to publish a book that's naming names of all these corrupt people that would destroy so many careers that they it isn't even enough for them to kill him. They have to completely discredit him, and so therefore they committed these crimes set him up to look guilty so that if his book does come out, nobody will believe it. And that's his story. And he starts calling the police and saying, I know you want to talk to me. I'll come in and talk to you, but I'm afraid of what you're going to do because I've got all this long history working against the state. So I'm going to have my attorney negotiate the terms of my coming in. And he starts down that game while he goes off to Las Vegas, gets a facelift, and starts spending money like its water because he's liquidating his assets. Sonya at this point still thinks, my poor Robert. He's on the run from these murderous police and government forces that want to kill him, and she's covering for him, alling for him, helping him with his car and with bills and whatever health, whatever else he needs. But Steve then Fisk, the detective, once he realizes what Pearnox game is, goes back to her and he lowers what I call his velvet hammer on her. He takes the fact that she genuinely does love this guy and doesn't know who it is she's protecting, really and he uses that against her. He says, Sonya, here's the thing. I know you know where Robert is.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: You can keep lying to me and keep us away from him. But here's the thing. The whole department is on this case now. We're never going to let him just walk away. This is capital murder. We're not going to back off. That means if we don't bring him in, at some point, some rookie out there is going to come across him in a traffic stop or whatever, and that rookie might just panic and kill him right on the spot. So you want to say, Robert, you need to give him up and get him into protective custody right now, because his chances of dying are worse every day he spends out on the street, and that he just put her in a trap in that way, because if she does love him, which she did, and cares about what happens to him, which she still did, then she's got to get him on the streets. And Fisk convinces her, look, you're not really protecting him. You're setting him up to get killed by some cop or or somebody else he tries to hijack. You're guaranteeing a bad end unless you protect him. And he put it in that way so that by turning on her fiance, she was actually doing him a favor. And she gave him the address of a hotel over in the valley where he was holed up, and Fisk went over there, knocked on the door and said, hey, Robert, it's Steve Sonya want me to tell you that she can't make it by tonight. And the minute Robert said okay, and they knew he was in there, they crashed through the door, took him down, and were able to arrest him. The weird thing, now, here's the thing. Sonia loved him so much that it was so hard for her to finally come around to giving the cops the information. And you know, she had to be manipulated, so oh, protect him, Sonya, protect him, Sonya, because you know her loyal Robert. Well, her loyal Robert was sitting on the bed, but twenty seven thousand dollars in cash of his passport and a travel book for New Zealand. He hadn't said a word to her about going anywhere. So that's the guy she was protecting. Later in the trial, when it came time for her to testify, they show her some papers and things. They're getting square on how Peernox's been manipulating his income, and they said, this date here is that Robert Pearnox's birthdate, And she goes yes, and then she stops, says, no, no, wait, that's not his birthdate, that's my birthday. It's a form that he had filled out on himself, and she just stops and kind of goes. He remembered the one time that he had acknowledged her birthday is when he was using it to scam somebody else. But as with all sociopaths, no matter how skilled, if you are around them in their intimate space, before too long the mask comes down. It simply takes too much energy for them to keep up that crap. Twenty four to seven. So it's the people closest who always take the most damage because they're the ones who see the demon first.
Speaker 6: Now, tell us about this other major character in this story, because she gets inextricably involved after meeting Claire, and Claire really and her identifying with each other. Tell us about Victoria Doom and what she's doing at the same time, trying to curtail Robert Pernock and the siphoning of the money that she knows that he's going to use one way or another. Tell us what Victoria Doom does and how involved she gets in this case.
Speaker 4: This is a wonderful woman, this Victoria Doom. She's just great. I can't say enough good things for her. She is the living antidote for every dirty lawyer joke you've ever heard in your life, this one. You started out just as a divorce attorney. She took in a client and Claire Peiranack, who was going to get a divorce and then decided not to. And she thought, Okay, that's all there is to it. But when she read in the newspaper about this case and realized, oh my god, that's Claire Peirnock, the woman who came in to see me, And then she thought, wait a minute, I have a copy of this agreement, and the date she was killed is only nine days before that agreement expires. This was a woman with only nine days left when she was safe to kill, because once that divorce started, Pearannock wasn't safe. She says, Holy crap, I have to get involved. Now what about his daughter? Because she already knew Peiranock is a guy who squirrels away all kinds of money, and he has all these different scams for covering his money, she thought, because he's murdered of their mother, A large share of this is now Natasha's who is now an orphan. But this guy is on the run, liquidating his cash and spending it as fast as he can, Meaning not only is this girl an orphan, but she's about to lose everything she might ever have and be left penniless. So she got involved, starting in with all the civil work necessary to isolate Pearnock's bank accounts. But the problem is Pearnock, having all this money, hired a big law firm named Dern, Mason and Flum, big huge law firm, and paid them a huge retainer to make her life hell and challenge every single move she make, and then appeal that, and then appeal that. So they quickly buried her under so much work that her little one woman law office couldn't keep up with her other cases. She had let all her other cases go, which she did her paying cases to work on this one for which she was being paid nothing, and kept working to isolate his bank accounts. One at a time. She'd have partial success, but others were shielded behind various paper deals he would use to protect his money. And so she knew time was running out. He's spending it fast, and if she doesn't stop it soon, these girls get bupkis to try to build their lives on. It was Natasha and a girl whose story I don't tell because she was just a small child, Yle who was eleven at the time, her youngest sister. But she's not any part of the crime, and she wasn't there when it happened. Nevertheless, it was also a concern about what's going to happen to that girl now after all of this, if he is able to spend out this money and he was in Vegas just going through it like water and hiring all these investigators to follow every witness in the case, paying this fortune to this civil attorney to block and doing all this while shuttling back and forth between Las Vegas and Los Angeles and Sonia's house underneath the police's nose, while constantly having his criminal attorney call them and say, oh, yeah, he's coming in, he's coming in. It was just a circus, and the cops, of course, were spitting nails over this or being jerked around this way. That's what finally drove Fisk to pin Sonya to the wall. The way he did it just had to be no more. Mister nice guy Peirnock was making a joke of the legal system, which is already beleaguered enough, but his refusal to cooperate anyway, and to constantly level accusations that people had managed to stall the investigation and had managed to keep him free for a few weeks. But of course it eventually closed in once Sonya was flipped and then he was arrested. This barely even slowed pear knock down the instant he's arrested. Of course, now he's complaining about everything that happens. He's being beaten, he's being mistreated, and filing complaints about that this guy is like the terminator. In fact, that's the way Natasha described him recently. He's like the terminator, and it's a great description because he's just not deterred. You show up one of his lies as a bald faced lie, he doesn't even take a breath before he's making another accusation that you have to then go deal with that. It doesn't even slow him down. And Natasha still twenty years later, still lives in hiding to this day because she knows for a guy like him, the offense that he's angry for always just happened. Just happened just now. It doesn't matter if it was twenty thirty years ago. It just happened now. And he's just as angry and just as determined now as he would have been his own daughter. And see such an enemy that her face needs a tire iron, and he's the one who has to do it. That's where his madness took him.
Speaker 6: Now. The thing is is we won't have enough time to go through this incredible story because as soon as we get to what it looks like a slam dunk, you talk about his abilities and his energy and his psychopathic nature in quick order, he gets rid of a bunch of lawyers, and again he's still within the conspiracy thing that everybody is involved in this conspiracy against him. So let's but I wanted to talk about the one profound story that you talk about to illustrate how dangerous a person Robert Peirnock was to Natasha, and again you describe to how she's still in hiding to this very day. Talk about the real estate agent, the Latino real estate agent.
Speaker 4: If you could, Oh yeah, yeah, I skipped over that. My apologies. That's a great one. So this is Whyle Peiranock is still on the lamb, traveling back and forth between Vegas and Los Angeles. He's got all these high priced investigators who have a eventually tracked down Natasha's safe house, which you're not supposed to know anything about. And next door to the safe house, a woman who owned her place there had put it on the market and she's cleaning in the garage one day and this guy shows up says, I'm a real estate agent. I'd like to like to list your house for you, and she goes, oh great, I could use the help. Come on and I'll show you around. She takes him inside and notices he barely glances at anything in the house, walks straight to the back bedroom, which is just an ordinary little it was a girl's bedroom at the time. But what was unique is this bedroom window happened to look directly into the backyard of the Natasha's safe house next door. The woman said it was strange. He just stood there staring out that glass, showing no interest in the contents of her home. And then after a minute, when she finally said hey buddy, he goes, oh, yeah, I don't need to see anymore, walks out and disappeared. He didn't think anything of it other than this is some crazy real tour until later when the course detectives started coming around and they showed her photographs in a six pack, and she picked out Peirnock's face from among the other guys and said, this is the agent who was here. He had tracked her down to a supposed safe house while she's in witness protection. He had come in and he had a business card printed up that shouldn't be a realtor, by the way, and then gotten that close to see exactly where Natasha was, where her bedroom window was, and everything else. And then disappeared again. This is why Natasha's afraid of her father.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: While once he's arrested, he starts, as you said, firing his own attorneys. Oh, they're all conspiring against me too, And then several judges got on. The judges are conspiring against me, and up to the point, a clever defend that can make those claims work. The system, in fact bends over backward to see to it that you are not railroaded. And for that reason, when you start these complaints about people's integrity, you can get some traction, which he did. He knew how to press all the buttons, and he had for four years. He delayed this prosecution of As you said, Dan, what should have been a slam dunk on this guy. I mean straight to the execution chamber. No, no, no, no. He was just getting started and working as his own attorney, writing these motions. They would appoint him a new attorney if the attorney wouldn't do whatever he said. Well, they became a conspirator who was trying to work against him, and he fired them. He very nearly got away with this whole thing. He had planned it so carefully, and he was so good at pressing the system's buttons. The title of this book, you know, almost wound up being a perfect murder, although I guess I couldn't have written it then because we wouldn't know he'd have gotten away with it, you know.
Speaker 6: Sure, well, let's talk about the a checklist for murder, because Stephen Fisk is again it's almost it is so movieesque some of the scenes in this book, and he's looking and looking for some bit of physical evidence because unbelievably, like you mentioned, Robert Peirnock, even with attorneys that end up he sues them and believes they're all part of a conspiracy. He takes advantage of that system, and so he puts everybody in a position. So if you could explain that what Stephen Fiks finds and what its importance is to this.
Speaker 4: In the process of gathering evidence at the crime scene, he had opened Pearnock's trunk of his car, and notice that all these slips of paper in there. Peirnock is a chronic list maker. Everything he does, he makes a list first, so he didn't know what to make, but he has gathered him all up, put him in a box and sent them on in with everything else. Well, the box he put them in turns out was a Xerox paper box, and because of that, somehow that box got separated from the case evidence and put over in the Xerox room with all the other cases of paper that was used by people making copies in the office and sat there for four years while they tried to get this case going and while Pereanock delayed actions. Finally, once Peernaut gets his last defense attorney, Donald Greene, whom he hires with his own money, Vegas attorney who's also licensed to practice in Los Angeles, we're going forward to the trial and the new DA Craig Richmond, has been assigned this case, and he's scared out of his mind because it looks like a loser. They don't have the smoking gun they need, and this Pereanot guy just keeps managing to win on technicalities, one hearing after another after another. So on the eve of trial, he goes into the copy room because they have a big table in there to spread out his files. And he's sitting there working and he looks over just looking around the room, and there's the piles, the stacks of the boxes of paper. He says, one has little peerore written on the side, which people not working on the case wouldn't even notice. But of course he goes Piirnock. He goes Ori and pulls out that box and opens it up. It's not a box of paper. It's all these slips of lists and slips of paper from Pear Knox trunk that have just been sitting there. He goes, holy crap. He starts going through them, and most of them are just grocery lists stuffed from the hardware store. Ordinary thing. Go get your haircut, go get your shoes fixed. But he starts noticing mixed in with a lot of those things are some strange things, like by handcuffs. The term get location or no find location is there again and again, dozens of time. Find location, find location, find location. And then after a certain day, just a few weeks before the crimes, that one stops. He doesn't have any more notations to find location. You know, he's found the underpass, He's found the wall, the concrete wall, face mask, wife in the front, plus the child plus cover is one of his notes on how to stack them or bodies into the car before launching it off. And gradually he puts these notes together and realizes he's just found a checklist for murder. And this is the thing that Peiranock ultimately can't answer for, can't explain away, and winds up convicting him and putting him in prison. What would otherwise have been a perfect crime turns out to be absolutely nothing because he was so anal retentive, he was so in love with his own paranoid thought process that he couldn't bear to just throw away the damn lists, toss him in the fire, your home free, Noo. He had to say his souvenirs and his souvenirs, his own souvenirs are what put him away. Students firing love the way that came down.
Speaker 6: You had two very very important interviews for this book, and of course the most important is Natasha Peirnock and her tell us about the importance for her personally and for this case professionally in the testimony that she had at court, and tell us the circumstances under which she did testify, given that he had the right to defend himself in court.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, this poor kid. Sometimes when you do these crime stories, it's astounding how much grief and tragedy will get rained down upon the innocent, and not just for a little while, but a lot of it for a long time. And that's what happened with Natasha. Now this is four years later, her surgeries and things have recovered where she looks almost normal. She's got scars on her face and she can function. But this is an orphan whose skull was crashed in by her father who's on trial for murder. And he's a jailhouse lawyer. And guess what. Steve Fisk calls Natasha in and says, I'm sorry to tell you, he's demanding his right to defend himself and be his own at herney. The court has to let him do it, and that means he's the poenaing you to testify. You're going to have to be grilled by your father in open court. This is the man. The last time she saw him, he was bashing her face in with a tire iron. Now she has to put on a nice little dress and sit in a witness box while he grills her. And he did, and it went on for days, and he was a master at mocking and sneering and basically verbally just torturing her, but always staying just within the lines of what the court had to allow him to say, being that he was his attorney. Just put her through hell. But she was able to stand up and look him in the eye and speak the truth and answer his questions. And she never wavered, never wavered, not one time. And I have tremendous admiration for her and what it took to go through that. But his attempt to get her on the stand and discredit her in some way was his last ditch, and thankfully it didn't work. He was what they call too clever by half. He was so busy figuring everything out and manipulating everybody that he just went too many steps in the wrong direction. He couldn't recover. The bit that seemed so clever about defending himself was actually the thing that wound up not putting him away, but putting in a position to be put away, because the jury saw who he was. They saw his condescending cruelty to this girl who had barely survived at his hand. And I think he showed them the killer. I think he said, you have to find me guilty. You're looking at the personality that was able to do these things. Fascinating thing about sociopaths that I've seen every true crime case I've ever worked on is the line that the writer William Peter Bladdie used in the book The Exorcist. They also picked up that line in the movie version, where one priest is saying the other, well, we're gonna have to figure out which demon we're dealing with here, and the older, wiser priest snaps at him and says, it's always the same demon. Now, I don't think in religious terms, and I'm not offering you a religious icon here, but I think it's very clarifying when you want to understand these personalities, when you're dealing with the true sociopath, it's always the same demon. Their individualities, their uniqueness as people, that stuff is boiled away by the illness. They just become these terminator machines, function machines. You do and you say anything at all that you need to do and say to get done what you want. And that is the same for one person to the next to the next. And he just became that. Thank goodness, he showed it to the jury and they deliberated six hours and found him guilty. Even the judge. Let me just tell your listeners, this in the sentencing went on, and this long colloquy and the sentencing appealing to any future governor who might ever have PEARNOX'X case come before him for clemency for parole, that no matter what strange circumstances could ever cause that to happen, that governor had to know that Peernock could not be released, that the streets could never be safe with this guy out there, and that he needed to die in prison. This extraordinary thing for a judge to put in a minute order in his sentencing hearing, and especially a guy like Judge Schwab. This is a very scholarly, calm, measured sort of a guy. This is not any sort of a hothead jurist at all, and yet he was just almost pleading with anyone who would ever read this trial record. You can't believe this guy. If you're feeling the least bit convinced by this guy, it's the demon breathing at you. That's all that's happening. There's a website that he's taken out where he goes and explains, you know, of course, all the people that are against him, and he talks about my book that I was supposedly hired by the state to write a book. That's all. Nobody hired me to do anything. But you know, if you don't look too close, it looks almost real. And if you have a proclivity to believe paranoid stories, maybe you've been burned by the state yourself. At some point, he knows which buttons to press, and he'll hook you, and you'll think, oh my gosh, we've got to free this poor man, this unjustly convicted man. But you're talking about a monster. It's always the same demon.
Speaker 6: One of the most vivid moments in the book is the character of Robert Peernock, is that with Richmond having him on the stand, he originally thought, jeez, I won't let him get into this vast conspiracy, but then he realized, you know what, maybe I will. So that vasque conspiracy included his own lawyers, the judges, all the judges, all the lawyers, everybody involved in this, and oh, in this time I didn't talk about. Also the point that we didn't talk about, the point he reaches out to inflict fear not only still on his daughter, but also these lawyers and potentially the prosecutor. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he hired investigators to find where his own attorney was staying in Los Angeles while they were on trial and tried to have him killed the prosecutor, Craig Richmond shortly during the trial excuse me, during the trout was newly engaged, and he went for the first time. He and his fiance went to her mom's house for him to meet her, and parked her car out in the driveway. While they were in the house having coffee with her mom, the car exploded into fire. Peer Knock had had his minions go and put one of his firebombs under it. Imagine that for being the first time you meet your fiance's mother, you get her car blown up out in the driveway and possibly cause a few concerns about what her daughter is getting into.
Speaker 6: Incredible. Another vivid moment was the he makes such a disturbance in court that the liberal Doug Schwab, the judge says, I'm gonna gag you, bind and gag you, bound and gag you if you don't shut up, And they finally had to drag him out and gag him. And so the picture was that he'd had duct tape halfway up his face, surrounding his head, just to be able to have this guy back in court for the judge to say, you're gonna have to witness, You're gonna witness this decision here, and we're gonna have you back in this court, but we're not gonna listen to you. We've listened to you, so we're gonna gag and bound you. So, I mean, again, very very unusual. I've never had of anybody. I mean, it's very very rare. Let's put that way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never certainly never come across another case where it was done. Although when you read this trial record, you see absolutely that the judge had no choice but to do it. Perlock even uses that picture on his website as if to show, look at what the state did to me. They bound me with tape, And if you just want to get all emotional, you can go, oh, yeah, isn't that awful, But when you see the circumstances of it, you real this poor judge had taken this thing for months, allowing this guy to just burn away the taxpayers millions of dollars on this trial, millions of dollars with his stalling tactics and if he allowed it to work, the message would be, Hey, if you're ever in trouble in court, just yell and scream and accuse everything that moves. You can bind everything to a halt. He had to stop Peirknock, and yet the sentencing needed to go forward too, and Parannock wasn't going to shut up, so he did have him bound and gagged. What you can't see, he's got cotex stuffed into his mouth underneath that duct tape that's wrapped around his head. But he put that tape around his own head just as sure as if he took out the role himself and start of winding it around his neck. But now he tries to use it to make himself look pitiful. It's the mob.
Speaker 6: I'll let you go. Let's wrap up with the story of a little bit of hope. And also for those people that think that you know, are just bed set on having a death penalty, you talk, and I like the sarcasm that you do. Add in this part of the book where he's in Pelican Bay. So first tell us about the survivor, Natasha Pearnock. How is she doing, how is she fared? Before we talk about what Robert Piernock's fate seems to be well.
Speaker 4: Listen, I wish I had some rosy thing I could offer you. Natasha is alive, she has her health, so I get there's that. You know, she did beat back the attempt on her life. But this is a woman alone in the world who knows her father will kill her if you can find her, because he's insane. So naturally, she's had no success with a relationship. She's not a married person now, she doesn't have children, and she's an ongoing victim. My hope is simply not that her life is greater, there's a happy ending, but just that she's able to live a life that is tolerable and find some kind of peace. That's my hope for her. That we can't offer listeners though, some kind of happy panacea, though there isn't one. This was a monster at loose, for sure, but the people in the system, and today it's become so hip to put down the system. Every cop on this case, every lawyer, every judge on this case twisted themselves in knots to provide justice to this man, to this monster. They went above and beyond, and it had nothing with race or politics or anything else. It had to do with fundamental decency. That's all. People just sick and tired of living in a society where it seems like decency has become a joke. And everybody here agreed, this is no joke. We're going to take this dead serious. And Parre not got to go to Pelican Bay, into total isolation where it drives the toughest of men so crazy that they wind up rolling their own feces into little balls and stacking it in the corner. And it's precisely where he belonged. It's only through the goodness and the decency of the people of California that he wasn't executed. So he was given that benefit. It's the only one he's earned, though, you know, just drawing his next breath, he's used up all his luxuries once he does that.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, it's just an amazing and fitting end for him. You talk about the humiliation that he will have to undergo for the rest of his life in this prison, the fear that he must face, and again for all those death penalty advocates, you draw a great picture of what it would be like for the rest of this man's life sitting in this prison. Whether he realizes what he did is wrong or not. Psychopath is not going to have that realization. He's still underway righting and trying to appeal to as many people like you say as a website, So he's still thinks he's the victim here. But a very very incredible and fascinating story. Before I let you go, can you tell us it looks like I saw something about Investigation Discovery. I posted it on my website on Facebook about this story being involved Investigation Discovery. Is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for asking, Dan. It's already shown several times on the Discovery ID channel and I understand it's done really well with the audiences. We got Natasha to come, even though her face is shadowed for the camera, and for the first time to actually make a public comment about this case that she's ever made since it began all those years ago, and she didn't come out of hiding. She remains. We didn't give away her real name or location, but she's there and she talks, and that's where she says to this day that he's the terminator and that's not hyperbole. I believe her he is the terminator with her if he can find out today where she is she'll be gone tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah incredible, Yeah, amazing. For those that might want to find out more about your other work or do you have a website? Do you do Facebook? Tell us how people might find out more.
Speaker 4: Sure, please just feel free to google my name Anthony Flacco Flacco, That'll take you right to my website. Of course I'm on Facebook too and happy to talk to people who write my website. Has you know the email address? And I always answer emails as long as they're civil, and I'm happy to engage with people who like to write in.
Speaker 6: Well. I want to thank you very much, Anthony for finally making it to True Murder and talking about this classic now a true Trime classic, a checklist for murder. Thank you very much. It's been a pleasure. I want to thank you very much and hope to talk to you again in the future. Thank you, Dan, You have a great evening.
Speaker 4: All right, you too.
Speaker 6: Good night,